Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to season two eighty four, Episode five of Dr Daly's II Guys. It's the Big Finale. This is still a production of iHeartRadio. It's a podcast where we take a deep dive into America's shared consciousness. And it is Friday, April twenty eighth, twenty twenty three. My name is Jack O'Brien aka. It looks crappy. This chocolate head of King Chucky. It must be said he's worthless. A royal crime. This penn leaks each stinking time, each stinking time, each sticking time. Uh. That is courtesy a scout Goo on the discord, and I'm thrilled to be joined by a very special guest co host, an artist, a musician, the producer of this very podcast. It's super producer Justin Connor.
Speaker 2: It's super producer Justin Connor AKA of Sneakers and tattoos and my puppy lions can sue ming Good are at some fancy museums, travel TV well like cook all the things. This aka wasn't written by being okay. In fact, it was written by LACERRONI on the disc road. I I feel like maybe I should stressed that I'm a more confident rapper than singer.
Speaker 1: I pretty good.
Speaker 2: I went for the loaf, hanging fruit ended my favorite things. AKA. I know it's felt, its.
Speaker 1: Hacked, but it's a it's a mold that we all, you know, pour ourselves into.
Speaker 3: Fair Yeah times, yeah, yeah, I appreciate your bravery, sir, and I was transported to wherever the fuck the sound of the sound of music takes place justin We are thrilled to be joined in our third seat by a very funny stand up comedian host.
Speaker 1: Of the Patreon show pot Damn America. I'm assuming it's pronounced like pot damn man Erica, Like wow, you look great. Austin Texonian Texans Taxonians can catch him at the Belveto Room May sixth and twenty seven. It's the brilliant, the talented Jake Flora.
Speaker 4: Hello, daily Z, it's good to be here. I didn't bring a song. I didn't know what we're doing that at.
Speaker 1: The time, right yourself? You brought your voy myself.
Speaker 2: Yeah damn. All the pipes are are good enough. Yeah. Your your voice is a melody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sonorous, crisp resonant. That's great to have you, Jake, how are you doing. How have you been?
Speaker 4: I'm feeling pretty good. I am a terrible singer. I did karaoke the other night, and I think I think I might be tone deaf, Like I literally go to a doctor.
Speaker 1: My voice sounds great. It seems like you should be a great karaoke singer of like a Johnny Cash or you know, something like that.
Speaker 4: But yeah, only songs that are down here. I think I can really live in you.
Speaker 1: Ever do boys then, but just do the deep voice.
Speaker 4: Guy for you.
Speaker 1: I'm just spitballing here just for you.
Speaker 2: But at the time you do karaoke, I think you're supposed to be bad at karaoke. You can't go up there and blow everyone away. Maybe performance wise, energy wise, charisma wise, but if your voice is too good, it's kind of it's like cheating, you know.
Speaker 4: People say that and then like like I'm like, no, you have to hear it, and then they hear it and they're like you're right.
Speaker 1: There's like you're right, we should never do this again.
Speaker 4: There's like a level below hell, like a sub type thing where it's like actually not enjoyable. It's just fucking I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'll be honest, I've never been to a karaoke anything like, I've never not even a little like boombox like set up at like a house party or anything. So I don't know how I'm going to react to it when I do it, because I plan to at some point, but yeah, yeah, I don't. I don't imagine it's going to be very good either, But I think the point is to have fun, so you know, get out there.
Speaker 4: The point is to have fun, and I will make it not fun. I also won't have fun, which is weird. I get nervous doing it, and I'm a stand up comic, like I talking to him. Yeah, talking no problem is as a switch to singing. I get. It's like the first time on stage again. It really Yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: I think peer pressure works on me, like when I have to perform, like I just turn it on. I just if I have to be there. I kind of I reach for something deep in my soul, but it's not I don't know if it's enjoyable because I kind of black out.
Speaker 1: So I hope it from just drinking copious amounts of vodka, right, yeah, yeah, yeah, that's the I just kind of black out. I this weird thing where I get on stage and blackout after drinking a handle of vodka. All right, well, Jake, we're thrilled to have you here. We're gonna get to know you a little bit better in a moment. First, a few of the things we're talking about today. Biden's campaign has kicked off. It's all, it's all anyone's talking about. We're all excited. His website is embracing the dark Brandon meme. So we're gonna talk about the Dark Mega, the Dark Brandon w I. Both sides are embracing those as like good things for their for their respective sides. Trump. The rape trial of Donald Trump civil suit brought by Egen Carroll started didn't get that much attention from the New York Times or anyone. So we'll just talk about that black Mirror is coming back. We'll talk about why that's kind of a bummer because they just keep telling us like what's about to happen in our society. We might even talk about the Ten Commandments and why they stink all that plenty more. But first, Jake, I know, fucking harsh. Take the Ten Commandments stink, That's right, we said, Jake. Before we get to any of that, bullshit, though, we do like to ask our guest, what is something from your search history?
Speaker 4: Oh? What an invasive question? Yes you know this, Yeah, that made me nervous when I that, or will like.
Speaker 1: Take some passwords whatever you want to get. It's just you know, mother's maid of course.
Speaker 4: So I looked at this and I don't really have anything that damning I think in here. But I did. I did google recently Chewy promo code because I use this website Chewy to buy like cat litter and stuff for my cat. And I was I had a bunch of like cat food and stuff queued up the other day, and I think what I happened is I went on like like a coupon website and I was trying to find I was trying to steal cat food. I guess it is something. Yeah, I feel like says something about me because I love my cat, but I'm still like a criminal about it. You know, he's very large, so he needs a lot and it's really breaking the bank over here. But yeah, no, I tried to use one of those coupon websites like that. I feel like used to work like twenty years ago or something, you know, just generate coupons and it didn't work, so fucker. That's sad, But I just paid for the food anyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's where I'm at. I have a lovely pit bull mix and she she eats a lot as well, and uh, I've also gone through the same thing. These coupons are some bullshit. And also like, I don't know, I don't know about you, but I think like this dog is my first dog, and I really had ideas about what I was gonna do with her in terms of like, oh yeah, I'm gonna start cooking her food and I'm gonna make sure it's all nutritious and good. And then life kind of, you know, makes things spin out of control. And I really just went for a mix of like dry food and vegetable food. But this shit is so expensive, and if anyone out there and zeitgang has like a plug for cheap but very like healthy, good for your pets animal food, please hook it up. Let me know, because I'm searching out here and I can't find anything.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, you know what, I think we just invented dog food, not bombs.
Speaker 1: There you go, let's do it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I feel like that, as with everything on the Internet. The cupun codes like just got fucked up. Like it went from being a cool thing to immediately be like asking you invasive questions and asking you for information and like feeling like you were, you know, crippling. You are hard drive, you know, like you have to like sign up for a mailing list or some shit to get the cupun And I know that wasn't all of them, but it just felt like increasingly it felt like you were clicking on a pop up ad whenever you would sign up for one of these cupunk codes.
Speaker 4: Not to jump like too far ahead to black Mirror and all that stuff, but like, uh, you know, with like the AI thing, it's I think, like it's I feel like it now. You can feel it now anything you do on the internet, you're just like, man, I'm giving these people so much of my data and they're like, yeah, at me through my webcam, making another be over there and stuff just like feels weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm definitely worried about the amount of my voice that I've put on the Internet. Like I truly think they could recreate me at will, like that I could be a recreat This could be just an AI generated version of me. That you're listening to right now.
Speaker 2: I mean, I've been thinking about that recently, and it's I mean it might not even be you know, your choice. Like at some point maybe one of your like younger relatives will be like, Hey, you know what I'm going to recreate Jack with Because there's so many hours of voice out there, I can just give it to some AI specialist. I saw some woman who did that the other day. That comedian from Vacancy was like a magic comedian. It was like Dave something.
Speaker 4: What was his name, Oh, the amazing Jonathan, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Amazing Jonathan. Yeah, yes, Dave, the amazing john Amazing.
Speaker 4: How I knew we were talking about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it was a I congratulate you O for that because it wasn't a great description. But he passed I think during the pandemic, and I'm not sure if it was pandemic related, but his partner pretty much had him recreated voice wise, and yeah, I'm not sure necessarily, I guess it's up to each person. She's using it as like a therapy tool. It's it's interesting the technology, yeah, and all the ways it could go. But I wouldn't want a company getting a hold of my shit.
Speaker 4: That's yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean that is straight up a Black Mayor episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is. I think they make comparisons to it. Also during the thing a little clip I saw, but yeah, it's it's fascinating and I don't mean to derail the conversation, but to take it back to the coupon thing, I feel like, I don't know if this is necessarily connected, but I feel like companies that do like the payment plan thing like that has been pushed more over like coupon stuff now like oh buy no pay later, like Klarna and like all that kind of stuff. I've been seeing way more advertising for that kind of shit lately.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all you have to do is give us control of your bank account and you can just pay whenever you want because we will take the money out ourselves.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I was just gonna say, I love subscribing to my refrigerator because the thing about the future that we live in.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Anyway, sorry, go ahead.
Speaker 1: What is something you think is overrated?
Speaker 4: Listen? I want a disclaimer here that I'm a provocative comedian and I like to make people mad on purpose before I say this, but I've been watching The Sopranos for the first time in my life, and it's pretty good, but I think it might be not as good maybe as people say it is. And it's still pretty good, and I get why it was a big deal, but I need a vent about this because I'm personally kind of exhausted with it because it's very long, and it's like and it's not the show's fault, it's it's just that like it's from a different era, I think, and people had more of an attention span and it was like the only show like itself. There were just less shows like that around, so people had a lot of hours to invest in this damn family.
Speaker 2: But I also had time to ruminate between episodes, like what you had time to marinate on what happened, as opposed to just like let's just bends the whole thing and forget that you even watched it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And that's like part of how the form plays into this, you know. And I've just had like so many people be like, oh, you know when you say you haven't seen something, and it hurts people's guts inside.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, So I feel like I should. I really wish Miles was here. He's the right person to bring this topic too, because I actually I'm in the same boat as you. I've seen a few episodes of The Sopranos. I've never sat down and watched and I don't right. Oh no, I was just talking about how I need to give this a actual try and watch the whole thing chronologically. But who has the time? Now?
Speaker 1: You know, anytime saying something is pretty good is like a declaration of war that thing might be overrated because like people, Yeah, that is a highly controversial opinion.
Speaker 4: I have not.
Speaker 1: I have not done the rewatch of this Pranos. I watched it when it came out. Oh, I know, which is the equivalent of like, what how you can't even talk about television if you haven't rewatched it all chronologically, if you haven't watched the cut where they actually start off with the flashbacks and then move forward in time. I don't know if that's the thing, but it's yeah. I remember when I was watching it being exhausted by it, like there being episodes where not much really happened. I'd imagine upon rewatch like that would those episodes would be better and more enjoyable, because you know what, once you know what's going to happen, like you're not your brain's not like being like, oh, what's gonna happen next, and like eager just like for plot.
Speaker 2: But how much filler would you say? There is like a percentage wise.
Speaker 1: The filler is pretty good, but it is there is a lot of filler.
Speaker 4: I would say it's like Italian food, like it's a lot of bread, you know.
Speaker 2: Okay, so it's enjoyable, but yeah, okay.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you have like enough time to have a part time job that is watching the Sopranos.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, I have. I think I have to watch it because it is one of those things where it's like I think it's up there with the wire too, like if you haven't seen it, you can't comment on you know, it's like mandatory having to have seen it. But I just, uh, yeah, I don't have the time anymore, and I do have enough, Like enough of these moments pop up now too. I think because of the version of the Internet we have now and the way social media is, you don't have to necessarily even watch stuff to know every single cultural touchtone that comes from that piece of media. You get all the references, you get all the jokes through memes or whatever. And I'm not saying that's good or that that's better. It's just weird to me how I can understand many sopranos like jokes, like in jokes amongst the fan base. And I have not watched maybe even twenty percent of the episodes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you really want to make the mad, just be like no, I've seen the memes that I get it.
Speaker 2: That's why I leaned into it. I don't think it's good. I didn't want people coming from me, but yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what is something Jake you think is underrated?
Speaker 4: Well somewhat related, I've been eating a lot of Italian food. I think just subliminally it got into my head from watching the show and like watch because it's like a thing that just occurs every now and then. Is that they're eating like a ricot or something, or like they eat this thing that looks like a crown made out of bones the other day that I'm very curious about what not that I'm just it was crazy. I posted a picture of it on Twitter What the hell is this? And all these Twitter so people are like, you don't know what that is? Like they're all bunk on me and stuff. Apparently it's called a crown roast and it's this thing they make a like a like a king's crown out of an animal's bones and the roasted apparently it's pretty good. So I just have this flavor on the brain. And I was chopping It's groceries store the other day and I bought a jar of something called olive salad, and I would like to form the world that it's an underrated thing in that it didn't know it existed. And that's that's a form of underrated, right. No one's talking about this. It's olive salad.
Speaker 2: No I In my mind, I'm just picturing a bunch of chopped up olives and like with some romaine, there is.
Speaker 4: That kind of what it is, Well it's not. There's not romaine, but it's like other like olive, like things like peppers that you would like soak and oil like that, but it's chopped up and then made into like kind of a thing you can just spread on a freaking sandwich and like it. I'm it's changed my life because, like you know, you try to buy sandwich stuff when you're grocery shopping and you think you're like, well, what how hard could it be? And this is like a great way to feed yourself cheap. You can never really hit like the way something tastes from a deli doing the dance and pranos hands. It's because you don't know about secret stuff like all of salad. Yeah, oh man, really good.
Speaker 1: It's uh yeah, it made me think of a very fancy deli.
Speaker 4: Like I think it's just technically for like a muffle letta like a po boy or something like that, like a like a Cajun thing. But it really it hit me because you know a lot of times people make a salad, they put one olive on a on a what they call set, a cue tip, a toothpick, and then they put it in the same which just for like aesthetics, you know. But it's like, well, you eat a sandwich, you get to eat one olive like wall throughout the entire sandwich. That's very little olive, right, but this it spreads throughout the entire damn things. Every bite you get like that salty, briny thing. Oh man, insane.
Speaker 1: I live so much and it's totally happened later in life, Like I hated olives when I was a kid, but now it's probably the food, Like I can't get enough. I like I could not imagine eating too many olives. Like it's just I always feel like underserved when it comes to olives. I fucking love them.
Speaker 4: They're the best I know, these Italians. They got they're onto something with onto something.
Speaker 1: With those olives. Things underrated. Not enough people are talking about olives. Is it like the most popular food since time, since the fucking Ten Commandments?
Speaker 4: I suppose there's a very famous restaurant named after them.
Speaker 2: But it is also a massive like crime organization that's like built up around fake olive oil.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, olive oil. What fake olive oil was like a big scam in the seventies. I remember there's like I came again, I came into into contact with that like researching something else, and it was like yeah, and then they busted this massive like counterfeit olive oil.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, we had that that off white supreme olive oil and they got the counterfeit version of it. And it was crazy that they were like I mean, I think they were making millions. It was like one of the biggest money makers for the mafia at one point. That's nuts.
Speaker 1: But it sounds racist to say that, Like it sounds it sounds like, you know, it's like, don't do us like that? No, I yeah, I was talking about the same, but like to speculate that the Italian mob is like selling counterfeit olive oil. Like it sounds like you're just being like yeah, And then they had a big meat ball shipment, you know, yeah, breed meat balls.
Speaker 4: We don't. We don't do anti Italian racism here absolutely, you know. It reminds me of there's an oddly similar story that I came upon researching for some dumb podcast I was doing about the Moonies, the cult from Korea that sort of is like the origin point of like this weird other thing that's happening in the United States with this guy named King bullet Head who's like the guy's son. And then like the guy killed Shinzo Abe killed him because the Moonies, like the Shinzo and the Moonies somehow were involved in the thing with his family, someone died. I don't, yeah, Moviies. So the interesting weird thing that came out from like US occupation in uh in Korea back in the day. They have like a similar thing going on where they're the source of I guess all of Western wasabi. And it's also fake like apparently when you eat with sabi, when you have sushi here, it's a horse radish, they die green. Like yeah, probably live your whole life and never actually have with sabi.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not going to be surprised if we google like Canada's like counterfeit maple syrup operation.
Speaker 4: That's real. That is real.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's all because criminals don't do much research. They just like Google the first thing. They're like, all right, we're Italian, what do we do?
Speaker 2: What's the most popular and how do we rip it off?
Speaker 4: You hit I know you were like randomly hit dead on there's a whole maple syrup in Canada.
Speaker 2: Wow, what's America's counterfeits gotta be ketchup?
Speaker 1: Right? Oh yeah, it's gotta we have to like counterfeit ketchup. But that would just you would just become a billionaire and it would be legal, because that's what America is, just like just behin, right, you find the cheapest way to like make something that the piggies will gobble up, and then you become a billionaire and it doesn't matter if it's poisoning them because we don't find out until people start dying thirty years later, and by that time you're rich enough to like affect legislation, so you're not gonna get in any trouble.
Speaker 2: To your point, I don't even know if they could export the counterfeit shit like the European like food drug administrators over there and be like, nah, this doesn't pass the smell test for us. You guys got to eat that over there. Yeah yeah, wow, all.
Speaker 1: Right, it's actually mostly red paint.
Speaker 2: But it's red number forty four. Yeah, that's what it is.
Speaker 4: Full of microplastics.
Speaker 2: Yeah, aren't we all guess?
Speaker 1: Mayonnaise might be the other thing like that we as we talked about on an episode earlier this week. It's always like been very suspicious to me that Hellman's like the biggest word on their label is real. Hell's real mayonnaise. Okay, stop asking. It's like nobody was asking, but now now we're very concerned.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's my stand up bit. It's my one stand up joke that I'm work shopping.
Speaker 4: That's fine. Man. If you read a mayonnaise jar a certain way, it says like hell is real, that'd be cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right, Hell is real.
Speaker 4: People repent put all of those letters in huge letters and then sell it. It'll there you go, It'll take off hell Country.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Hell Man would be a dope like superhero of some sort.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, he's named after the mayonnaise. That'd be cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like hell Man, and then his whole thing is just mayonnaise.
Speaker 2: Got like a foreign.
Speaker 4: Cool.
Speaker 1: Didn't go where I was expecting it. All right, let's take a quick break and then we'll talk about the ultimate hell Man, Dark Brandon. We'll be right back and where sure back And Joe Biden's back. Baby, he's running for president. The nation is energized. We're fucking pumped to have this guy run for president at the age of you know, so old.
Speaker 2: Yeah, at a certain point, it doesn't matter anymore.
Speaker 1: So he launched his campaign website, and users quickly noticed that the site's error for a four message features the Dark Brandon meme, complete with a laser eyed Biden and the message let's get you back on the rails here.
Speaker 2: Okay, see I immediately thought of cocaine. This man eyes are bright red, and he said, let's get you back on the rails. Yeah, all right, Joe, were you.
Speaker 4: Just blasting rails looking at the bid?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I am every morning, is my ritual.
Speaker 4: It's great. Wow. It kind of reminded me of like, I think this might be on purpose. Well, actually it's not. You know what it is. He used to be called Amtrak Joe because he took the train. Yes, that's gonna be what it is, commutter or whatever. But he also like kind of busted up a railroad strike last year.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, he did, hmm.
Speaker 4: And I think they're just sort of betting that you won't know that, because that immediately just made me remember I am mad at him about train strike. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And also the biggest calamity of his presidency might be a trained derailment.
Speaker 2: Oh right, that no one's talking about that.
Speaker 1: Not enough people are talking about to the point that he's comfortable being like, let's get this thing back on the rails.
Speaker 4: What. That's fucking horrible.
Speaker 1: What? Oh man, that's amazing. But they're just having fun with the memes. So the Dark Brando meme actually began with the Dark Mega meme, which featured a superpowered Donald Trump, which then gave way to the Dark Brandon, which it's both the consistency between the two is like portraying Trump or buy in as like Doctor Manhattan style, like laser beam eye having uber mensch basically like authoritarians. That's what it feels like to me. It feels like this is the result of having such ineffectual and incapable parties in the United States that are just like incapable of doing anything that isn't like completely endorsed or asked for by corporations, and so people are like fantasizing about their leaders being like authoritarian Doctor Manhattan. Yeah, I mean uber mench bending people to their will.
Speaker 2: Like speaking of authoritarian leaders. Didn't the president of El Salvador he also like tweeted memes with him with like laser eyes for the whole bitcoin thing he was trying to push.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah he did.
Speaker 2: I think it's weird that this is this weird like lane that they keep occupying.
Speaker 4: Well, it's I think it's then it like clearly they stole that from people that were already kind of using it, right, it's like a real thing. And like I think I might be wrong here, but I think that originally that came from like like internet like tanky types were really into the USSR and would do like like the I mean the first one I ever saw was Lenin, and it would be like if you were arguing with someone and they didn't make a radical left enough point, you'd sort of like throw this Lenin with laser by. His whole thing in history was that he was within the far left. He was like no, no, no, no, need to go way more hardcore. Yeah, so like right, which is crazy that we don't talk about that much underrated right, but he uh, but like that's from an internet like niche subculture that I think that they must have focused grouped this stuff really hard before, like just straight up stealing. And I say that because like you see that a lot of the advertisers and stuff, how like, yeah, this bums me out about the Internet. A lot. Stuff will organically occur and it's like fun for us all to play with, and then about six months later they've figured out a way to use it to like sell stuff. So like last year there was like this meme he's a ten but YadA YadA YadA, which yeah, I just noticed that like a few months ago. I started getting commercials like every time I watch something on like Hulu or something that and it'll be like he's a ten, but he doesn't use roll aids or something, and it sucks. And then but it also it's weird that it's echoing so far after the original thing happened. And I think it's because there was a process of them really like kicking the tires on it and going, are we gonna get sued if we do this? And I think it's kind of what's happening here is like this thing is it's reappearing in something like the Biden administration's like campaign thing because it's it's from the Internet a few years ago at least yea, and they just sort of realized, oh, we can just do this too, and like, no one's really going to get mad at us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Internet is just like a giant writer's room focus group for corporate America. That's basically how they view it. And they're just like, Okay, well it changed enough from the first one to the seventh one that we can just claim that it's like, you know, not not any one individual's creation, and so we we just yeah, just steal ideas, just steal intellectual property.
Speaker 4: And yeah, it really it sucks if you're if you like especially if you're like a comic that's on Twitter all the time. Because you are just kind of sitting there like going like I'm just giving, Like I'm just throwing chum into this huge well that they I just mix metaphors, but they like they take.
Speaker 2: I chum my well, yeah you water all nice intestiny. Yeah yeah, It's it's really weird. I don't I'm not sure exactly what the point of it is other than to appeal to someone who's already done making jokes about this thing. And I truly think it kind of it might not just be like focus groups and whatnot. I think sometimes it just comes up organically where someone's NEPO baby is walking around on their phone and then the person who who birthed them is like, oh shit, I'm gonna take that to a board meeting tomorrow, and then they just kind of kick the idea around, take forever to develop the idea, and by the time the commercial comes out, it's too irrelevant for anyone to care about.
Speaker 4: So it's also one of those things where like slang is like the point of it is for young people to speak kind of in code and like make fun of older people, and like, you know, a word is dead when you hear your parent say it, like it as a way of migrating through society up to the people that are in charge of everything, and then like yeah, your teacher is like you know, it's busting and you're like, ah, it's over.
Speaker 2: Oh man, yeah.
Speaker 1: And it is frustrating that like all authorship has been taken out of the internet. The Internet. It's just like yeah, but you said it on the Internet, so now it's now it's totally cool for the Freedo La Corporation to use your brilliant joke.
Speaker 2: That's that's the worst part, is I mean, stuff I said when I was in middle school is now just bubbled up to like, you know, my sixty seven year old neighbor and they like mention it as I'm walking past, and it kind of you're just like, you know, I understand like trying to relate to people, but there's a certain point where like you're kind of demeaning them. I think if you're just like, well, this is the this is how you people talk, right, and it's like, I don't know, man, just just drop it. Just just be you. That's that's the main lesson.
Speaker 1: Just that's how we spoke like twenty years ago, and now that you just said that I have to go back to bed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like that's.
Speaker 1: How deflate it is for me to hear you say that. So it's like the White House actually started using this meme last summer, tweeting dark Brandon memes along with good news for Biden, like so that they're just like, yep, got it. Apparently Biden himself reportedly found it funny. But I just want to read the Biden's twenty twenty campaign manager's explanation of the meme. The memes are a light take quote, a light take on the fact that Biden actually has abilities and power that most elected officials don't, and he wields it in his own way. I don't I don't think that's Oh I don't think that's what the memes are. Man, I gotta tell you, I don't think you got that right.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, Wait, since when does this man have superpowers for anyone? What are you what are you talking about?
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, he has like dementia, right, yeah, he has dementia, the same thing.
Speaker 1: I guess a level, it's it does seem like the joke works at a level of like this is so far from what is actually true about him, and like they have taken it to be like, there's actually a kernel of truth in there, and Biden is actually a super intense, cool person who I think kids would want to play with an action figure of if we made them. So just throwing that out there, and then on the other side of the twenty twenty four presidential race, presumably assuming you know he's not. I don't know, it's gonna be Trump, right, we can all agree it's going to be Trump. There's just nobody else like so yeah. So Egene Carol's civil case against Trump for allegedly raping her in nineteen ninety six and then denying it went to trial this week. She unequivocally stated under oath, I'm here because Donald Trump raped me, and when I wrote about it, he said it didn't happen, so very straightforward. The New York Times gave it like a little little tiny blurb on the front page. And I don't know, it's like we I think they've known that this story where he happened for a long time, and maybe like part of them is just responding to the fact that Trump, like we we knew this stuff stuff about him before he was elected president in twenty sixteen, but it still feels weird that it's not a bigger story. But the mainstream media has been carrying water for rapist presidents for that I don't know, goes back to like Thomas Jefferson, the Grover Cleveland won So like there's this Newsweek article that's like other presidents who have been accused of sexual assault, and they.
Speaker 4: Talked about weird that they yeah, yeah, it's true, but it's just like what are they trying to say, like it's not a big deal, because.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they talked about Grover Cleveland, which I didn't even I knew that there was. Grover Cleveland had this like illegitimate child scandal. But the details are like he committed rape and like told the in question he would do everything in his power to destroy her if she told anyone like then and there after the assault and then the media was just like he's got an illegitimate child. They just like just kept it moving and like that That's how it like came down in history. Was just like this guy really likes the ladies or some shit.
Speaker 4: It was scandal during his presidency or his campaign.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was during his campaign, like yeah.
Speaker 4: And it was doing the Lindy Hop to this.
Speaker 1: Lindy hop into this piece of information. I learned about it as being like a story about like mud slinging during presidential election. Mmm.
Speaker 2: Wow, yeah, spin that history class puts on ship like this is is wild. Yeah, it seems like if society was going to give anyone a pass, it's gonna be a former president. Like it's he keep seeing stuff like has happened, and like the message is always the same, and the punishments are always like unequal or they don't happen for a certain group of people, Like it's wild, Like Jonathan Major's, you know, alleged horrible assault of a woman should have faced all the consequences he's facing, and then but it was so quick and immediate. And then you have Ezra Miller, like they're literally kidnapping people and you know, menacing a twelve year old and the marketing just goes like it like nothing happens.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: If if you I just yeah, I think if you look at all of these things, there's there's a clear message. I mean, I was just reading something today about Jonathan Mullaney having his special out, and I want to preface this by saying that I'm not comparing Jonathan Mulaney's substance abuse issues with the violent crime that Donald Trump or Jonathan Majors has been accused of. It's just that the messages seem to be reserved for a particular group. And so they were talking about, you know, him having his problems with substance abuse and whatnot, and them comparing that to like Lindsay Lohan and Britney Spears and Amanda Binds and like, there's no pictures of him. Again, not saying he should be publicly shamed or whatever, it's just that when someone like again Robert Downey Jr. Has his problem with struggles or whatever, in the media, there's a focus on this is a historical fact and not who the person is. And then when it's a person of color or a woman, it's like, this is who they are and we should label them as such forever. And it's frustrating that it's not equal when someone when someone heard someone or whatever the like. I think we should all feel good when that person gets punished, as they should. I don't understand why it's like, well, hey, look at how other many powerful men have been accused. This is this is a little historical factoid as opposed to like going even an inch further and questioning why this keeps happening. It's God, that's maddening.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I just watched that in Lanny Special, like right before we started recording, and it's pretty good, and I.
Speaker 2: Thought it's good.
Speaker 4: He's I thought it was good because it was honest and yeah, you know, it was kind of humanizing. And I think, like I kind of I kind of disagree with what you just said, which is, like you said, we should sort of all, you know, take part in punishing all these people. I kind of think we should all give the the compassion that we structurally unfairly only give to these white guys like that, should everyone gets you hip Like I'm a laya.
Speaker 2: No no, no, I no, I didn't mean we all should take part in someone. What I met was that we should all not even all take part in punishing anyone like hey, now we're going to shame you or anything like that. I mean that, And I specified if you hurt someone I'm talking about, you know, especially when it comes to like assault and like being accused of like violence and stuff like that. Donmaliney, I don't believe it's been accused of anything violent So I wasn't really equating those two scenarios. I just mean that, like as a whole, the message has been that if you're a woman or a person of color, it doesn't matter whether you had a mental health crisis or committed a violent crime, which are very very different things. They're both weighed equally and will likely end your career swiftly and you probably won't get a second chance. With few exceptions, but if you're a successful white man, you might not have to face any consequences for anything you do, and even if you do, people will be will to let you come back, yeah without piling on.
Speaker 4: Yeah it's inconsistent for sure. Yeah yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: But anyways, MULLENNI special decent. I haven't watched it, so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it's good. I'm not again, this isn't This isn't an indictment of John Mulaney or anything. I'm this is an indictment of like the media, and again when you when you have someone again, like someone who dealt with substance abuse issues and mental health issues in public, like Britney Spears, and then everything that even to this day, if she posts a picture of herself dancing, people question her mental health.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's inconsistent that they get zero and everyone else gets a negative number or whatever, they get kind of a neutral response. They're kind of treated like as if it's it's made as easy as possible for them to like get past or whatever, and that I think you're you know, you're probably write that this is like at least it's very at least like the media is like a mechanism by which this happens. But like it also you know, it's it's probably just like deep into like huge ideological structural stuff in the way that just like everyone is thinking right now too, because like I mean, you just I don't know, I'm on the internet all the time. You Internet it's a fuck cess pool, and you read people's takes on this sort of stuff, and it's frustrating because you see it coming straight from people where they don't even realize that they have this wild inconsistency or talked about if they happen to be somebody who is like, Okay, let's bring this back to this Trump thing, right, people that like him, they're gonna give this a pass and they're gonna focus on the similar thing that the other guy has been accused of at kind of inconsistencily or whatever, and uh, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, and I feel like the New York Times has taken that into the equation and is like downplaying or like not publicizing the story as much because they're like, well, his followers aren't gonna give a shit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's sad. Yeah, this is all just a liit, Like this is like a litmus test. Like you you take a dipstick and you stick it into the Internet and you pull it out and you full like things are bad like the way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean, just to the millenniy question, Like it'll be interesting to see like how much this defines his legacy. But I just remember growing up, the first thing I learned about Richard Pryor was like that he set himself on fire while smoking cocaine, you know, like that, And I think that's the like it's subtle things like that where it's like, okay, just in your point that like one group, it becomes the defining thing about them as.
Speaker 4: Opposed to true for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, let's take a quick break. We'll come back and talk about the Ten Commandments and Black Mirror, and we're back and the Ten Commandments are in the news again that my brain just turns off usually when I see this shit. But the Texas Senate just passed a bill requiring each public school classroom to display a copy of the Ten Commandments.
Speaker 4: They'll be on display at my shows at the Velvet Good. I put them behind me every time I perform. But yeah, especially large in Austin, Texas.
Speaker 1: So which ones do you put? Because there are actually two ten Commandments in the Bible, and the second one like the revised edition, because I guess I remember the part where like Moses, I guess, like breaks them like it has them on tablet and then breaks them and then like I guess, there's like a week into Bernie's two where he has to like go back up and like do it again, but like this time, the Commandments have things like this. This is one of the ten commandments in the in the Bible, all that openeth the matrix is mine. First of all, that's the trippiest fuck. And every first thing among thy cattle, whether ox or sheep, that is male very specific. Also, thou shalt not see a kid in his mother's milk. So it's like very farming farming related just instructions on how to rear your cattle. Is the tank Commandments? I think they if they were willing to make that the ten Commandments that they put in courtrooms, I think that would be at least funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I don't have a problem with that. Yeah, I'm I think I'd be shocked to learn, like how many things in our society are based around like just farming, just old world like agricultural tent poles that we just kept going and didn't question. Uh wow, that's fascinating.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, you were just talking about how we shouldn't see a kid in his mother's milk, like, come to find out the origin of that belief within the set ten Commandments two point zero.
Speaker 2: It's one of my favorite bars that I heard in that that Wu tang check don't don't put the seed in the Maybe, I don't know, weird.
Speaker 4: What does it mean to see the child?
Speaker 1: No idea?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's all kinds of four chan, I think, and going on in that sentence right there, I don't I don't want to investigate for it.
Speaker 4: That's a good point. This was their four chan back in the day because they didn't have the Internet.
Speaker 2: True this was a post and got weird real quick.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a weird re edited post. Yes, oh, hold on, I didn't mean to type the subject like that.
Speaker 1: I didn't mean to start talking about the matrix at the beginning of that one, but it seemed to get a reaction, so we'll just go with that. But this is all a thing because the Supreme Court announced a vague new History and Tradition test to replace the last fifty years of Establishment Clause law. So it's basically around that football coach who raid on the field and got fired because they were like, people don't want you to do that, and he insisted on doing it.
Speaker 4: And so the weirdest think about hardcore like Red State Republicans is that they claim to be into like these American ideals. One of the biggest ones is separation of church and state. Like they love the Founding Fathers and they're talking about a lot, have tattoos of them and the airbrushed on their truck and stuff. And one of their first big things was this.
Speaker 1: That was like their main like they were always talking about that shit like that was. Yeah, they've just edited that part out. I get the feeling that these people are not big on primary document looking at primary sources and reading reading unedited you know, documents of what the founding fathers were worried about.
Speaker 4: True.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but anyways, it's a mess. Also, Black Mirror is coming back in June. It just feels weird now, like I don't know, it seems like the time for Black Mirror has passed. I don't know, we'll have to see what but what what these are like, but it just feels like too many of the things have are already happening from the previous one. So maybe they'll have to just like ramp it up.
Speaker 2: But do you think it's possible to get more surreal? Like I don't know, it's hard for a whole season to get to be pulled off well when it's when something is as lofty of an idea.
Speaker 1: But I as predicting the near future.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, but I do think I don't know if that's necessarily. I always took it as like this could happen. I think I don't want to put all the pressure of like they're predicting necessarily. But I like the idea, the thought experiment of Black Mirror, so I like that it's going as like an art experiment, but yeah, it will it be good. I don't know. They've had some really shitty episodes, so sure, we'll see.
Speaker 1: That's what's good about Uh. You know this type of show is you can have a shitty one off and be like, all right, I don't know, yah, get to the one.
Speaker 4: I love Black Mirror because they swing for the fences and yes, absolutely sometimes, but when they hit it's really good, you know exactly. It's like Twilight Zone formulaic type thing. Every time you watch it, you're like, oh, what's the thing going to be? But like, and I think it's an interesting question you asked, like can it happen now? Because like I think the last time they released the show was kind of before the pandemic, which is one of the more recent like milestones where we went, oh my god, we're through the looking glass. Right, But if you remember years ago when they the last season of Black Mirror they put out, if you lived in New York City at least, I guess I remember seeing these ads everywhere, like on the sides of bus stops and stuff, where the ad would be like black Mirror and then like the rest of the poster was a mirror and it would I think the bit like I care exactly how they worded it, but it was like you're living in it, like yeah, the new season, it's already here because everything felt so weird and like you know, I mean, I was just talking to somebody about this yesterday, like we kind of there's this feeling in the air right now where like we're in the upside down land like it we it feels like we are through the looking glass and everything's weird. But it's kind of felt like that for like a long time, like every Yeah. I mean, like I think me and my friend laster day were sitting around We're trying to figure out what the what the first one was, and like I think like they were like somebody was like, oh, maybe remember when Trump was like running for president. That was the first time you were like am I on acid right now? Like why is reality so weird? But then before that, like there was you know, the the like protests and like the police stuff and like Ferguson I remember being really yeah, and then like occupy before that and stuff. I think like this, it's actually I think you can keep doing black mirrors. Guess what I guess what I'm saying because like it's going to continue to feel like this forever. Like every couple of years, something's gonna happen where you're just gonna go, oh my god, like reality's bending apart.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess I don't. I don't want to say like I don't think they should. It's just like I feel like the public mood is probably like, oh fuck, because they've gotten so much, right, it's like, do we want to look and do our near future at like what like just counting off some of the things that they've gotten, like eerily specifically. Right, there's the robot dogs, which were immediately unleashed by the NYPD, the AI that recreates your dead loved ones. As we mentioned earlier, that's already happening. They had an episode about an annoying TV celebrity running for political office, and The AV Club wrote at the time that there's just not enough there to suggest that Waldo's moment would last much longer than fifteen minutes. And then and then Trump got elected president and yeah turned out Yeah.
Speaker 2: It was so Yeah. I guess I can say because I watched that episode after the Waldo moment, after Trump had been elected, and so I guess I can say like the episode, it didn't take anything away from the episode. It just made it like there was an absurdest angle to it because people were voting for a cartoon character in that episode in particular, and the cartoon character was like blew up so big that the guy playing it became unwound and really like upset that he wasn't getting any credit, and so into that there. Even in that story, there's a little bit of a guy behind the mask having some sort of soul and like, you know, not liking what's happening to the image of this thing he created. And in reality, Donald Trump doesn't give a shit, Yeah, and.
Speaker 1: Just a perfect machine of narcissism.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's that's a little more terrifying. So watching the episode actually felt a little bit like of a reprieve from reality, if that makes sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's so true. Yeah, It's like, oh man, and I wish it was this simple Black Mirror. I wish it was as easy as Black Mirror made it seem, even like the one where you record everything through your eye like that I think that was season one, right, where like they have you have little like recorders in your eye that and then you can like play back the memories. Like the other day, I was like, well, sitting with my kids while they were like playing a game, and I was like looking at old videos of my kids and like me playing with my kids while I could have been playing with my kids, And I was like, Oh, this is not good. That Black Mirror episode.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you know what I don't like about Black Mirror. What's that that they do this thing and it it works pretty well, but it's like a little on the nose where at the every episode ends with a musical cue that is a song that's perfectly like oriented towards whatever their commenting on socially. Yeah, but like there was an episode which I think was a stinker by the way, if anyone's listening for Black Bear, where like shooting happened because a guy couldn't stop looking at Twitter on his phone, and then like the ending credits were like, can't take my eyes off of you. It was on the nose. Yeah, So that's I'm more less less. I'm less worried about this meta stuff you're talking about, Jack, and I'm more just worried about the writing content of the show because it's it's crazy. I kind of can't believe how much I like Black Mirror, because like, the guy who made it made some other stuff that I do not joy. But he's what's the other stuff? He mean is Charlie Booker. Charlie Brooker, he made this. Man, I'm sorry, this is very popular show. I'm sorry if you hear this, Charlie Brooker. I gotta be honest, though, you know, I have to be authentic or else. I don know. I don't know what will happen. But he made this. He makes this thing at the end of the year every year that's like a re look back on the year and how horrible it was. And it kind of has this thing I'm talking about where with every year we're like, that was the worst year of all time and it was just rapping. Every year, it always the logo of it is always a dumpster on fire, which is like the oldest internet joke in the book Man. Yeah, Hi, you know what I'm saying. Hire me to write for the New Black Mirror, please, I got notes. I think that's what we're learning. Jake needs to write for the New Black Mirror. You need to not Charlie Brooker. That would truly be a Dystopian Universe. Think about that. Yeah, I was writing for your TV show.
Speaker 1: Among the guest stars samahay K, Zazzy Beats, Aaron Paul, and Josh Hartnett.
Speaker 4: Okay, wow, all right man.
Speaker 1: Anyways, I'll definitely watch the ship. I actually, I mean that's may not be true. I really just watched the Black Mirror episodes that everyone's like, oh, this is the good one, and I skip most of them. Whereas when the when the first season dropped and like it was only on like only available in the UK and you had to like pirate it and stuff. That was that was like the most anticipated content of like that year. Was like, oh, I've you heard about the show Black Mirror and now it's like all available on Netflix, and I'm like, I'll watch like twenty percent of them. I'll watch the ones that Jake says are good on Twitter.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I'm watching the ones that someone else said are good. So it's a filter. It nice before we get that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, Jake, truly a pleasure having you on the Daily Zeiceist as always, Where can people find you? Follow you all that good stuff.
Speaker 4: It's been a great time. Thanks for having me back to to see you guys. I am all over the internet. My handle on everything is at feral jokes, which is an anagram for my name, which is Jake Flores Barrel, like an animal jokes like jokes. Yeah, people don't realize it like that, and then they yeah, it's easier to host stuff this way because my name gets stolen and stuff and used for websites. Yeah. So that's that's me all of the Internet. I'm on Twitter a lot, I'm on Instagram, I have a TikTok. I don't really use it, but maybe i'll start. And if you're in Austin, Texas, like I said, I'll be at the Velvet Room May twenty sixth and twenty seventh. I think they got that right. There's two shows one night, one show the other night. Check it out. Velvederrooom dot COM's the website. And I live in New York and I you stand up here and end up kind of all over the place, So just keep keep an eyeball on me and I'll probably be where you are soon doing stand up. Oh in My podcast is called Poddamn America. It's a comedy podcast that's left leaning politically and kind of has the laser eyeball things we were talking about earlier going on, but smarter, I hope, than what the internet it has to offer. Yeah, that show while You're mad. That's it.
Speaker 1: There you go. Is there a tweeter work of media that you've been enjoying?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I really I'm glad you asked you this question because the tweet I've been enjoying is a tweet by Twitter user at Joe Rogan Yes, fired off six thirty eight pm November sixteenth, two thousand and nine. It says, and it's if you didn't catch that, this is the Joe Rogan he tweeted in the year two thousand and nine again coma two guys, one horse dot com. Capital letters is the Mister Hands video. Capital letters n SFW a bunch of exclamation points. It's one of those things you capital letters have to see to believe. I don't know why he tweeted this, and don't look at it, by the way, especially if you don't know what that is. It's one of the worst things of all time. But I have been enjoying thinking about the fact that, for some reason, Joe Rogan tweeted out that you have to watch a horrible video.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jesus two thousand and nine seems on brand you've changed Rogan or maybe not justin wonderful having you as well. Where can people find you and is there a working media you've been enjoying?
Speaker 2: That's been great being here. Thank y'all for having me back. You can find me at j con the Smith on Instagram and Instagram only. That's at j C O N t H E S M I T H. And I don't I don't have a piece of media or anything I know I will however, though, I'm okay here, I'll share this. It'll be on my own account. But I've actually been temporarily taking, you know, some time off in the middle of the week, so I haven't been doing the Wednesday episode. So one of these upcoming Tuesdays, I'm actually finally after several years, getting my tattoo that I've been thinking about for a long time. I'm getting a full sleeve done by an amazing artist. And yeah, I'm gonna be posting pictures of that up soon. So yeah, you just follow me there and check out the tattoo process. There you go.
Speaker 1: A couple tweets of it. Harrison winereb tweeted two things within an hour of each other that it tweeted I hate when the toilet overflows. That's the complete opposite of what I was going for. And then also I love flushing the toilet. It's like this never happened. I feel like a nice window into what was going on in their life and also very true great meditations on toilet. You can find me on Twitter at Jack Underscore Obrian. You can find us on Twitter at Daily Zeitgeist. We're at the Daily Zeitgeist on Instagram. We have a Facebook fan page and a website, Daily zekeeist dot com, where we post our episodes on our footnotes linked off to the information that we talked about in today's episode, as well as a song that we think you might enjoy. Justin what's a song that you think people might enjoy?
Speaker 2: Okay, I have no idea where I came across this track. I don't know much about any of the people featured on here, but this song as all the references and millennials such as myself will recognized, like bars about Phoebe from Friends and d D from Dexter's Laboratory. But some of the jokes in here are just straight violations it sounds just like just a bunch of young kids throwing jokes out and it's funny to me. But oh man, for example, they in one verse where they're like, my crew balled like Cayu, my crew hot like Kayenne, we got tunnel vision. Rest in peace to Princess Dian And uh yeah, after yesterday's episode, I didn't I was gonna recommend this song and I was like, no, not not on, not on the car crash sequence we had at the beginning. But this song is called CC by Indie Tribe No big deal in John Keith and you can find that song in the footnotes.
Speaker 1: Daily is a production of iHeart Radio. For more podcasts from My heart Radio, visit the heart Radio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. That's gonna do it for us this morning, back this afternoon to tell you what's trending and won't tuck y all about bite B