Speaker 1: Colzon Media.
Speaker 2: This is it could happen here Executive Disorder, our weekly newscast covering what is happening in the White House, the crumbling world, and what it means for you. I'm Garson Davis today. I'm joined by Mia Wong, James Stout, and Sophie Lichterman. This episode, we are covering the week of July sixteenth to July twenty three. It has been six months since Trump has took office. How do we feel about that, folks?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Wow, there can't be three and a half four years of this, Like there just can't, Like there will not be a country left.
Speaker 5: Yeah, six months feels like a lifetime and not like it feels like no time has passed at all.
Speaker 3: So yeah, sixpence of us doing this? She's wild? Was that forty two months left? Am I correctly auditioning? I don't you' mar hey is six months?
Speaker 2: Welcome to Math cast with doctor and Ames Out.
Speaker 3: A doctor of modern European history. It does not involve arithmet oh Man.
Speaker 2: Let's go straight to Epstein, which is also what Hillary Clinton's black ops kill squad said after they broke into the jail.
Speaker 4: Wow, Garrison, you are spreading disinformation. That is the one group of people we can confirm did I kill Jeffrey Epstein?
Speaker 5: Harrison Just because Robert's not here, does it mean you have to go down to his level of humor?
Speaker 2: I think yesterday or two days ago, we released Epstein Update episode where we discussed the first Wall Street Journal story where they released this type written note given to Epstein on his fiftieth birthday from Trump, where he wrote this fake dialogue conversation between him and Epstein saying, among other things, we have certain things in common Jeffrey, Yes, we do. Come to think of it, Enigma's never age. Have you noticed that? As a matter of fact, it was clear to me last time I saw you, pal is a wonderful thing. Happy birthday, and may every day be another wonderful secret quote, which is who you could have just wrote like a pedophile confession note and it would be less incriminating than whatever creepy shit you're doing with this. So if you want to listen to our full update episode on that, just pop over to the other episode after Executive Disorder is done. We do have some other updates to add on because the Epstein thing keeps being in the news despite the will of Donald Trump, who definitely wants this not in the news. In fact, he is trying out a number of distraction techniques, including releasing some files related to the death of Martin Luther King, which when everyone's asking to release the files, that's not the files they were talking about.
Speaker 1: Also, the family did not want that to happen.
Speaker 2: It's very dispectful and has stated that for a while. This is a very cheap way to run some distraction. Last week, Pambondi sent a request to release the grand jury files on the Epstein investigation, and this was just a way to perform transparency because these types of files usually do not get released, like this was most likely going to get blocked by the judge, and they knew that when they sent this request. This was just to perform this like gesture of transparency, knowing that it wouldn't actually lead to anything. And all of this stuff goes against what Trump was saying, like a year ago. A year ago on Fox News, Trump said that he would release the files and then although he did kind of catch himself and realize that that might not be in his best interest, because he kind of corrected and said that he would have to make sure there's not phony stuff in there. Let's play the clip.
Speaker 6: Would you declassify the nine to eleven files?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Would you declassified JFK.
Speaker 4: Files, Yeah, which I did a lot of it.
Speaker 3: Would you declassify the Epstein files?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I would.
Speaker 7: I guess I would. I think that less so because you know, you don't know if you don't want to affect people's lives of its phony stuff in there, because there's a lot of phony stuff with that whole world.
Speaker 4: But I think I would.
Speaker 1: What does that fucking mean? That whole world?
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a lot of interesting things in there. Notably, when Fox first aired this, they only played the first half of his answer where he said yeah, I would, and did not air the part where we said, well, actually maybe not because there's a lot of phony stuff in there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's interesting.
Speaker 2: Eventually the full clip went online, but at first they released this shorter clip to make Trump look better, which there's a lot of similarity to Trump's lawsuit against sixty minutes in paramount, when they released two different clips of Kamala Haara's answering a question in like the same week on two different shows, answer the same question, like two halves of the answer. Trump said that this was done explicitly to change the outcome of the election and sued sixty Minutes for this. And because Paramount, the parent company of CBS News, is trying to complete a merger with sky Dance, which needs to be approved by the Trump administration, Paramount had started interfering with the affairs of sixty minutes, had just canceled the Colbert A Late show, possibly in efforts to appease Trump, and just gave him this, this massive bribe as a way to get out of the lawsuit. So very similar situation where news companies are playing two different things from the same answer. I think the one that happened on Fox News is way more egregious than the one sixty Minutes Dead. I think the sixty minutes one makes sense, But that's just a whole tiny aside. Releasing Epstein files is something that Trump has still been talking about. Last week, on Wednesday, July sixteenth, in an Oval Office press conference, he was asked if he would get Pambondi to try to release more documents. He answered like this, will you ask a trade general Pambondi to release more documents?
Speaker 4: To finally put this controversy to that.
Speaker 7: You know, whatever is credible, she can release. If a document is credible, if the document's there that is credible, she can release. I think it's I think it's good, but it's just really it's just a subject. He's dead, he's gone, and yeah, all it is is the Republicans. Certain Republicans got duped by the Democrats and they're following a Democrat playbooker.
Speaker 2: So, after this, Pambondi sent a request to a judge to unseal the Epstein Maxwell grand jury transcripts, and again this is the move to feign transparency. Attorney Sarah Chrissoff, assistant US attorney in Manhattan from two s eight, twenty twenty one, told the AP that this move was a quote unquote distraction. Quote the president is trying to present himself as if he's doing something here and really it's nothing unquote. She estimates that these transcripts could be as little as sixty pages anyway, because it is standard practice for the Southern District of New York to put very little information in these transcripts compared to some other states, and as expected earlier this week, the judge denied this request, which the Trump admin knew was going to happen because they don't release grand jury transcripts. The whole point of a grand jury is that it's secrets that she did this. Yeah, so this was never going to happen.
Speaker 1: I fear that's.
Speaker 2: But this was a move to make it look like they were having some level of transparency. Another tactic Trump has done to distract from the Epstein story is directing in Tulsa Gabbert to run this huge distraction campaign by talking about the Obama treeson investigation.
Speaker 4: Jesus Christ.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll play a clip here.
Speaker 6: There is irrefutable evidence that detail how President Obama and his national security team directed the creation of an intelligence community assessment that they knew was false. They knew it would promote this contrived narrative that Russia interfered in the twenty sixteen election to help President Trump win, selling it to the American people as though it were true.
Speaker 4: It wasn't.
Speaker 6: The report that we released today's shows in great detail how they carried this out. They manufactured findings from shoddy sources, They suppressed evidence and credible intelligence that disproved their false claims. They disobeyed traditional trade craft intelligence community standards and withheld the truth from the American people.
Speaker 2: Very serious stuff.
Speaker 1: Just looks like a villain from the Orville.
Speaker 2: What they're talking about is, yeah, there was legitimate investigations into Russia's meddling in the twenty sixteen election. What they were unable to prove is conclusive evidence that Trump colluded with the Russians. But this meddling was real and was proven. This is stuff that they found and Obama was president at the time, and yeah, he's gonna know about the investigation. So they're trying to turn that into this whole giant, giant hoax regarding Obama trying to steal the twenty sixteen election again, an election that everyone knows Trump won. Trump was president from twenty seventeen to early twenty twenty one, something that some people have tried to forget. Yeah, and they're trying to run like all of these distractions just to keep people from talking about Epstein and this something that Trump's really good at. All he needs to do is keep his base from turning on him. And the way he's gonna do that is make them angry at other people. He has to find new targets to make his base upset at and right now he's trying it out with Obama. Right, He's done that with Biden for years, He's done that with Clinton for years. Obama is the new guy that he hasn't really targeted as much. So now he's trying to get his supporters really mad at Obama. And that is the whole way that he's trying to hold onto their support and hold onto their power. Because, yeah, some of the Epstein stuff may be a little bit weird, but did you see how Obama tried to steal the election? And this is his whole strategy. And he laid the strategy out at a press conference earlier this week where he's seen like coaching Republicans to respond to questions about Epstein by just talking about Obama and the Russian election interference investigation, the quote unquote Russia hopes.
Speaker 8: But remember this, Obama cheated on the election, and we have it called hard blue, and it's getting even more so because the stuff that's coming in is not even believable. So and you should mention that every time they give you a question that's not appropriate, just say, oh, by the way, Obama cheated on the election. You'll watch the camera turn off instantly.
Speaker 2: And this is the strategy he uses. Whenever he's asked about something, he'll talk about the Russia, Russia, Russia hoax, the Hunter, Biden laptop, things that aren't even real, things that he's like successfully syoped the country into believing are like real things. But whenever he's asked a question about Epstein, you can immediately pivot to that and have that control the conversation. And he's laying out the strategy here. This is what I was talking about last week in d about how Trump like dictates reality through speech, and he's trying to coach his fellow Republicans on how to do it. And they have to catch up on a lot of stuff because Trump's ties to Epstein have been known for a long long time. I'm going to play a very very gross clip from around the turn of the millennia talking about eating eighteen models.
Speaker 4: What did you do last night?
Speaker 2: For fun?
Speaker 7: I actually went to the Fashion Award show.
Speaker 4: Models working on. But Donald, do you worry because you have a daughter who's a model?
Speaker 7: I do, and I have a deal with her. She's just seventeen and she's doing great, Ivanka, and she made me promise her swear to her that I would never date a girl younger than her.
Speaker 2: So why did you grow with Howard?
Speaker 5: And she grows older?
Speaker 7: Right, the field is getting very limited.
Speaker 2: To deal now that she's seventeen. His dating field is getting very limited. I wonder what he could mean by that. I wonder what that could be insinuating.
Speaker 1: Really fucking girls.
Speaker 3: Man. Yeah, this shit is actually deeply fucking stick Like, yeah, it's hideous.
Speaker 4: And also like the fact that the Democrats didn't spend the entire election just calling him a pedophile and running ads that were just this man as a pedophile, Like.
Speaker 2: This is stuff we've known for a long time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which is all like in the public domain decades and decades.
Speaker 2: This is from a Guardian article in twenty twenty. At forty three years old, Donald Trump asked a seventeen year old girl on a date. Trump asked her out for dinner in the summer of nineteen eighty nine at an industry soiree. She recalls Trump asking how old she was, quote, I said seventeen, and he said that's just great, You're not too old, not too young unquote.
Speaker 3: Legally speaking, too young.
Speaker 2: Outrageous, outrageous stuff. And we have some breaking news from just a few hours ago. We're recording this. On Wednesday, a second Wall Street Journal article has hit the Trump Towers.
Speaker 4: A new article.
Speaker 2: Talking about the Justice Department officials reviewing Attorney General Pam Bondi's quote unquote truckload of Jeffrey Epstein documents and discovering that Donald Trump's name appears multiple times. According to senior administration officials notified Trump about this in May, saying that a few other high profile names are also in the documents, and that the DOJ would not be releasing these documents in order to quote unquote protect victims. As if you can't censor victims' names or censored how sexual abast material. This is just a complete cover up.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Oh and by the way, in late breaking news, that's sure to make everyone considerably more normal. Epstein's defense lawyer, Roy Black, who's the guy who got him off from like going to prison for a billion years in two thousand and seven, just died like today, So okay, sure, Hillary Clinton kills squad, it's really really working working over time this point, Like Donald Trump Kills Squad questionable, absolutely absolutely need to be retiring the Hillary Clinton Kills squad jokes because like.
Speaker 2: I think it's very likely that Epstein did kill himself. I do not think you need to believe in that sort of like conspiratorial thinking to also believe that there's documented evidence of Trump dating teenagers and wanting to date majors for the past like forty years, and that's something that everyone should be aware of. Like, that's not a conspiracy theory, and you don't need to believe in conspiratorial thinking to think that that's very likely.
Speaker 4: That said, I do want to establish there is at least one person on the podcast who thinks that he might not have I don't know, but every single time they do more weird shit about it, I'm like, maybe is this conspiracy brain thinking?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: But I mean, editing the video didn't make anyone more certain that he killed himself.
Speaker 2: So as we enter the more than six month marker in the Trump administration, I think we should check in on howthy youths feel about Donald Trump. Famously, there's a lot of reporting about how gen Z is, like, you know, swinging more conservative, how gen Z helped get Trump elected, and if you look at some February approval numbers, it does seem that between ages of eighteen and twenty nine.
Speaker 3: So too old. Using the aforementioned criteria.
Speaker 2: Trump did have a plus ten points approval, with fifty five percent approving only forty five percent disapproving of his performance. Now, come July, things have changed dramatically in the youth bracket eighteen to twenty nine, with only twenty eight percent approval. It's a negative forty four points and seventy two percent disapproval, which is a net fifty four point negative swing.
Speaker 4: That's genuinely astonishing, Like.
Speaker 2: That's a huge jump.
Speaker 3: But it's try to jump, Garrison, it's a fall.
Speaker 2: That's you're right, You're right, it is going down.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, it's a plummet.
Speaker 2: This is according to a CBS News polls again, and I do think me is right. I don't know if Trump's going to care about this very much because this does seem to be higher than his preferred dating bracket, So I don't think he's looking for the approval of people between eighteen to twenty nine. But this still might affect him culturally, I guess.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Talking of things that have gone down badly, Garrison, it is now a detigation to pivot to advertisements.
Speaker 2: Advertisements are doing just fine from what I hear, and we are back. Let's do an immigration segment for the middle of the show, and I guess I'll first start with Ice Watch. So the past few weeks, I've seen multiple videos of ICE pulling over cars and sometimes not even like pulling over, just like blocking cars and narrow streets, like stopping them forcefully and then drawing guns as they get out of the car. By the time they are like door open, feed on the ground, gun already drawn. And they then descend on activists doing ICE watch, basically people who follow ICE agents around to alert their community of where ICE currently is. Usually they're live streaming and this in particular video that I have sent to the team here very freaky. I think we should just watch it here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, definitely, and we can try and describe it a little bit for listeners.
Speaker 9: If you know how I am, then why the fuck are you telling me to open the window, and why the hell are you pointing a gun a fucking taser on me? If you know who I am? Okay, And you guys follow everyone everyone, you guys talk people all the time.
Speaker 2: A very large man wearing a mask, a hoodie and a baseball cap. No, obviously identification, not in a police uniform, not in like a order patrol uniform. It's just a guy who basically forces your car to stop, jumps out, and points a gun at you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he draws from appendix Carrie Like.
Speaker 4: It's not many states this would be justification to start shooting at this man.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. There I think reasons why they're not doing this in state through there's high levels of gun ownership because they're afraid of that happening. Because it's not clear at all as the guy's a cop. No, it's a masked man has forced your car to a halt and is pulling a gun on you and is approaching you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that happens in another country and you assume you're being robbed, like right, you know, another part of the world. Like Also, it's notable that the vehicle doesn't have lights.
Speaker 2: It's not a cop car.
Speaker 3: No, it's not even a US made car like sometimes cops will use like non marked cars. They're normally US manufactured right for or US companies for Chevy, et cetera. This is a Kia. Everything apart from a lanyard hanging around the guy's neck which is not identifiable as a badge. Certainly not at this speed. Certainly not while he's drawing a gun. From appendix carry points to this being someone trying to rob.
Speaker 2: Or kill you. Very scary.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I will say I think the fact that they're being forced to do this in some sense is a sign that this is really working.
Speaker 2: It's pissing them off. The fact that people are keeping tabs on where I yeah, yeah, it's working. And like I keep saying, this is like they're the ones who are being forced to operate, is if they're working in a police state, Like they're the ones who are having to deal with surveillance. They're the ones who are having to deal with the fact that, like, if they stay in a place too long, they'll be beast mobilizations and people will just like drop.
Speaker 4: The hammer on them. It's a really interesting look at what happens when you try to do this police state shit in a society where everyone fucking hates you, which is that all you really have is speed and terror totally. And so you know they're doing this shit right, like they're just trying to terrorize people into letting them do their police state stuff. But if people keep doing it right, It seriously is like denting their effectiveness a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've seen multiple videos like this. Eventually the ICE agents will call over some like state trooper or like a DHS guy who does not work or ICE directly to diffuse this situation. I've seen most of these situations get eventually diffused, but it's something to I think draw attention to right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, if this keeps happening, it's likely to end in violence somewhere, right.
Speaker 2: I mean, this is the same thing when they're kidnapping college students without any clear identification. Yeah, notably doing that in like New England states where people do not conceal carry firearms like regularly, as like a regular thing that like people do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, firearms are not the only means of violence available to people like that. Lady seemed very calm and commendably so, but like she could have stepped on the gas pedal of her car and.
Speaker 2: Totally absolutely right. Yeah, And obviously this person knows that the guy is ICED, because that's why she's following him. But if ICE just starts getting paranoid about cars behind them, if they think someone's following them, they can pull us on someone who's not doing ICE watch. Yeah, they could just pull us on anyone who they are like suspicious of, And I think that's when really dangerous situations could start breaking out between these like unmarked ICE agents and just regular citizens.
Speaker 4: And I think the odds of one of them just snapping and starting shooting is like not zero, because that's who these people are, and as they're increasingly put under stress.
Speaker 2: They're being trained to you always be afraid of danger, like more so than even just like regular like cop stuff. Like they're talking about how like violence against ICE is up eight hundred percent, where the violence is like someone's head meets an ICE agent's fist, right, It's that sort of violence where it's like you're assaulting a cop by like partially resisting arrest in some way. But they are spreading those stats as if this is a real epidemic of violence against ICE agents right now. Another story I like to talk about is this deportation hoax story that I've seen going around social media. Seen it going around like our slash green card on Reddit, like TikTok, and even of like local news stories across the country where ICE secretly deports an eighty two year old torture survivor and US legal resident for forty years. This man goes to an immigration office to replace a green card, and instead of that happening, Ice handcuffs him, detains him, denies access to a lawyer, and deports him to Guatemala, a country where he is not from, with no official paperwork, and then is put into the hospital in Guatemala. This story got super viral the past week, and from what we can tell, this is not a real story. There was no immigration appointment in Philadelphia at the time of this spiral story. Guatemala says that the man is not in the country. The hospital he was alleged to be at. Doctors have said there's no man matching this description in the story, and the photos attached to this vital story of the man are not of this guy. The photos are of a guy who died three years ago. This is, from what we can tell, an entirely fabricated story that one local news outlet bought and then spread around From there. It's not even clear if, like the family members that were the original source of this even exist. It's not clear if this man even exists. So this is from what we can tell right now, not real, not real at all, And this is something to keep him in mind. Just because a story is like scary and just because it's going by does not necessarily mean it's true. And we don't need to be sharing fake stories of ICE deporting people or even going after green card holders, because this is actually happening. This is happening in the country right now, and ICE is defying judicial orders.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so let's talk about one of those incidents, right In this case, it's a man called Lionel Navaret Hernandez who filed a habeas suit in the Central District of California right against the Department of Home noun Security. Let's get some background on his case first, and we can talk about this specific kind of not justifying court orders, but also the United States Constitution. So he fled to the United States in two thousand and nine after being pursued by the police and falsely accused in El Salvador and beaten by police several times. I'm going to quote from the court documents pretty extensively throughout this so quote, including in one distance, beaten until he vomited blood, resulting in a cut on his head that scarred and a fractured finger end quote. In twenty twenty two, he was part of a targeted enforcement operation and he was issued and notice to appear, and then he bonded out right, so he posted like bail and he was out of detention right. In January twenty twenty four, he filed for asylum. He didn't get asylum dus a timing of filing. He also asked for withholding of removal. I didn't get that because he quote failed to show that his proposed quote particular social groups are cognizable or that his past harm was because of a protected ground right. So regular listeners will know that there are certain grounds on which one can obtain asylum and what has to be part of these certain categories to obtain asylum. What he did get was protection of removal under a Convention against torture because again quoting it is more likely than not that their respondent will be detained and tortured in El Salvador. El Salvador had put out an inter poll red alert for him for some reason, they deeply wanted him back. Doesn't seem to be any evidence that this person committed crimes. I appealed this this protection for removal right, and then the same day they appealed it, they detained him when he appeared at his Intensive Supervision Appearance Program check in. So ice AP right is one of these things where instead of being detained, you appear at ICE office and check in every now and again, right, as opposed to than just locking you up for the entire time. His partner then testified to the quote that quote. Lionel called me and told me that he was arrested. He says, Immigration officers went up to him and his IAP check in and told him he was under arrest. Lionel said he asked the officers why and informed them he had an order from the judge. The officer said something like judges don't Judges' orders don't matter only the president.
Speaker 2: Judges orders don't matter only the president. This is a rogue law enforcement agency in service of a rogue president. Like yeah.
Speaker 3: Lionel then told me that he told the officers he had an attorney. I'm still quoting from his partner here, But the officer said that doesn't matter either.
Speaker 2: He has an order forbidding his deportation, and they're telling him that doesn't matter because the president wants you out of the country.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, and that is what they have done, right, that was the entire rendition of people to l Salbadol was an end run around that, right, attempting.
Speaker 2: To They're just like saying this to people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because that's what they're doing. That's Warren. That's what they said to the court.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: We sneaked him out before you could stop it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So just to update people on this case, he called from jail in Santa Anna and said he was in a small space and he heard people being taken to San Diego or Texas. Then he had to hang up. He was moved around significantly, right all around, including into Texas. When he showed up on the detainee locator, the judge in the case issued attentive restraining order to prevent them from removing him. In detention, he was only allowed to make phone calls for three minutes, and in one of those calls, he told his partner that detention officers, I guess were telling detainees they were going to be removed whether or not they signed deportation papers. In his case, the court has issued an injunction to prevent his removal or his read attention to soly shout out to this Central District of California. I guess this is wild, right, this is dictatorial regime. You have no rights other than those impression decides to give to you. It's the subtext here.
Speaker 4: It's explicitly the fascist thing of like there are people who exist outside legal order in order to maintain it, and that person is the fear. Like that that's just what this is, right, Like, it's really explicit.
Speaker 3: I don't really know what people expect on them, and you know, the expects addressed like they're in the sound of music, you know, like this is what fascism looks like. Let's talk about some more immigration cases.
Speaker 2: What other immigration updates do we have, James.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well none of them are great, to be honest.
Speaker 2: No, the immigration segment has been a bit of a bummer in the past. Let me check my watch six months.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's hard on the soul and new do as a district court has struck down the state's law forbidding private immigration detention. This also happened in California, right, they said it was stay overy, so this was an issue. It's federal detentions, seid of Feds get to decide basically right. So New Jersey had tried to stop Geo Group cour Civic these massive detention operations from operating private immigration detention in the state, couldn't get down on through the court. Probably the bigger story this week is that the federal government has signed a contract for a huge five thousand bed tent camp facility for migration detention of Fort Bliss, So according to reporting in Bloomberg. Bloomberg has reported that the contract totals one point twenty six billion. The only contract I was able to actually find was a Department of Defense contract for two hundred and thirty one million, eight hundred and seventy eight thousand, two hundred and twenty nine dollars to be precise. What is not being reported on this? And I don't understand why other than nobody reported on immigration during the Biden admitt Apparently people are looking for like analogues. What would this be like? Well, the Department of Defense operated a tent facility at Fort Bliss under Operation Allies Welcome for Afghan people arriving in the United States. So after the bungled withdrawal from Afghanistan, right, I interviewed one of them. I was freelancing for the nation at that time, and there'll be a link in the show notes. But the afghanswa Houals did a place called Donia Anna Range, which is in New Mexico. So Bliss Spans Texas in New Mexico. Right, This new complex ne has to be in a different place because it will be quote unquote soft sided, which just needs tents. Right, But this one is accessible from El Paso streets and it's accessible without entering the Fort Bliss main gate, right, so people don't have to have on base clearance. The Afghan site had ninety eight tenths, which each held about one hundred people. This one will house five thousand people, so we can assume about five hundred tenths. Right. This contract for one point two six billion, Operation Allies Welcome was larger, right. It did other things. For instance, all those people got their COVID vaccinations because they hadn't gotten them when they were in Afghanistan. A lot of other vaccinations too. That that spent three billion just in fiscal year twenty twenty two. To give people a sense of the scale of these things, right, So one point two six billion, it's not at all out of the question. And in fact brings me on to my next point, which is that it may be a bit low given this company has no experience with this kind of operation.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 3: One of the questions we asked back in November when we did are like what could happen under Trump? Is how will they stand up these facilities? Who has the experience to do it well? This company does not have the experience to do it right. They've never done anything like this before. They have some logistic compact with DoD, but they do not have the capacity. At least they have not shown that they have the capacity to do anything on this scale. The DoD operation used a lot of contractors as well as defact dining facility for food. And I just want to quote some of the people I called a bull, who I talked to, who was in that detention facility. Quote for the past month, nighttime was the most horrible time for us because every day it got colder. We didn't have enough warm clothes or any thick blankets to fight against the cold. They gave us a blanket that was so thin we could see through it. These are people who in some cases fought alongside United States soldiers, right, Like it's not going to be better for migrants. Ball also told me the food wasn't great. He said, quote it's not cooked enough or it's burned. He did say that he appreciated the quote. The guy doing the cooking was always asking for feedback. They tried to cook Afghan food, I guess, and yeah, yeah, he appreciated the effort to cook food.
Speaker 1: Interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean they ain't going to try that now this time, right, but not, for instance, provide halal food, which was a consideration.
Speaker 4: I'm assuming this time they're going to be getting the fucking boldy food from Florida.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, the United States has a whole bunch of food should have gone out to many of the starving people around the world, right, but yeah, has been left to mold and warehouses. So yeah, they might be eating the high energy biscuits or the humrats. Talking of food, Human Rights Watch has reached a report detailing human rights abuses at detention centers. The report focuses on Chrome North Service Processing Center OKA Chrome, the Broward Transitional Center, and the Federal Detention Center. All of these are in Florida.
Speaker 2: Are those first two like privately owned better than being leased or like licensed out to the government.
Speaker 3: Yes, they're run by contractors for the government for immigration detentionent We've talked about Chrome before. It was one that was already ever crowded, had two deaths.
Speaker 2: It's also the name that I would pick for like an evil agency, who gets the product prison. Yeah, it's one. It's Chrome with a K with a K too, which makes it more evil.
Speaker 3: So the incidence detailed in this report pretty pretty bad. They include people being forced to eat like dogs with a hands tied behind their back. They include people being punished and put in solitary confinement for seeking medical and mental health help and having their handsipped. I hadn't been forced to lay down on wet floors, as it's very common in ice facilities. The air conditioning was turned up very high to make it uncomfortably cold.
Speaker 2: Just like in like the Florida bomb.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is this is the case in every immigration detention facility that I've heard about. Right, the Spanish word is like it translates to ice box is the word that people used to refer That's the colloquial term for these facilities.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: The FDC staff also used stun grenades and physical force against detainees protesting denial of food, water, medical attention. The report details people being detained in crowdedge cells with no beds or bedding, and denied essential medications. Read a couple of quotes from people interviewed in a report here. Quote you could not fall asleep because it was so cold. I thought I was going to experience hypothermia. One said it's like psychological abuse. You feel like your life is over, said another. All right, we're back.
Speaker 2: This past week, the World Food Program released a new report on food scarcity in Gaza enforced through the Israeli military, and also discussed a quote unquote deadly incident this past Sunday in which dozens of civilians were killed and injured while waiting to access food as a World Food Program convoy was entering northern Gaza. The Director of Emergency Preparedness and Response, Ross Smith said, quote yesterday's incident is one of the greatest tragedies we've seen for our operations in Gaza and elsewhere while we're trying to work, and it's completely avoidable, and it's an absolute tragedy unquote. Currently, food safety experts warned that one in five people in Gaza face enforced starvation. I'm going to quote from the un here. Quote, Mister Smith said, World Food Program assessments show that a quarter of the population is facing famine like conditions. Almost one hundred thousand women and children are suffering from severe acute malnutrition and need treatment as soon as possible. Pointing to reports, he said, quote people are dying from a lack of humanitarian assistance every day, and we are seeing this escalate day by day, saying that food and humanitarian assistance are quote the only solution at the moment for Gaza unquote.
Speaker 4: And it's worth emphasizing with this that like, the food is there, it is literally just sitting warehouses, like they can bring it in the moment the blockade lifts, but the Israelis don't want.
Speaker 2: To bombing people bringing food into Gaza at this point.
Speaker 4: Then they keep on doing this thing where they'll be like, oh, we have food, and then they shoot everyone who shows food.
Speaker 2: So this is something that World Food Program has been saying. Quote. We also need to have no armed actors near food and distribution points, near our convoys, and near the movement of those convoys from one place to another.
Speaker 3: This is basic humanitarian a ship. This is like one oh one fucking operating humanitarian resources in a conflict zone stuff. This isn't new stuff, right. This is asking the IDEF to do what you would expect any reasonable actor to do in one of these situations. Obviously the IDEF not a particularly reasonable actor.
Speaker 2: Rain speaking of things they don't like, Oh.
Speaker 3: Garrison, you cannot compare the work of Joe Strama to the ideas unre Jesus Christ.
Speaker 1: Like Jesus Christ.
Speaker 4: All right, welcome to tariff talk thing where I had no role in the prior transition to it. So we've gotten a few tariff deals over the week. We got one with the Philippines where Trump has negotiated a deal for a nineteen percent tariff on all goods and the Philippines coming to the US. There's also been a deal established with Japan where we're out of terif rate of fifteen percent. This one also has and there's been a few of these deals that have things like this where Japan also had to agree to invest five hundred and fifty billion dollars in the US. It's really unclear how that's going to work, Like it might just be loans. That's the part I don't even know if it's going to happen, because it's so staggeringly fuzzy and unclear as to what any of that means. Trump has been talking about how there's going to be like a ninety ten profit split where Americans take the ninety percent of the profits in Japan takes on tempers very weird, very weird. This is also look, it's worth noting that the last time we deliberately decapped Japan's export manufacturing economy dreating the Plaza Accords, it kicked off an economic crisis that Japan has literally never recovered from. Like people used to talk about the Japanese economy in the way that we talk about the Chinese economy now is like the emerging, rising, unstoppable force that was going to like become the world's greatest manufacturing power, and we don't do that anymore, partially because of like Japan hit like structural overcapacity in the market. Blah blah blah blah blah. Listen to me on every other episode where I talk about the Plaza Accords and structural global manufacturing over capacity. But again, the second thing is we also made their manufacturing less competitive and it destroyed the entire global economy, Like it's the reason two thousand and eight happened is because we did that and we're doing it again. Like twenty eight percent of the Japanese economy is based on like car exports, So that's great, that's fun. There's also been reports that there's a deal with the EU coming. I don't know who knows. I'm not going to say what's in it because we don't know if this is going to happen. There's that one in particular. There's a lot of things that can torpedo it, but it's not great. Also, these terrorists, by the way, are replacing the ones that are scheduled to go into effect on August first. Trump is still promising to put out tariff things for one hundred and twenty countries or something like that. I don't know the nub of the number is exactly right now. It keeps changing, keeps also not writing those letters, so who knows.
Speaker 2: Silky Doki.
Speaker 4: Yeah, great way to have terrorist policy, say is that Trump says something on truth social and then doesn't do it.
Speaker 2: And sometimes he does, yes, sometimes he does.
Speaker 3: It's good. It's a good way to do things.
Speaker 2: It's okay.
Speaker 4: So speaking of things, being done badly. We need to talk about NPR and PBS because the Republicans just cut one point one billion dollars from public broadcasting, which is like, all.
Speaker 2: Again, we were reported on what Elmo said last week. It's not a surprise that PBS is getting cut after this.
Speaker 4: I language, hold on, We have not on this show talked about the fact that PBS like sold Sesame Street.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's true.
Speaker 4: This is so ghoulish, like it does Jenny Wieley. Sesame Street was like one of the few really truly great triumphs of American state media. Like it was specifically designed to teach kids in underprivileged backgrounds how to read.
Speaker 2: Now it's on like like HBO, Max or Netflix are still available on public podcasting.
Speaker 3: Some of it's in a public domain, Like it's probably on YouTube because it's been out for SOTI.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but like the problem is, like, this is Jenni Wineley, one of the greatest public goods the US ever created, and it was fucking looted and privatized and and now as all of its funding is being cut, Trump has basically been pissed off at public podcasting for ages. Actually, hilariously, a lot of this One of the big origin points of this was that they had friend of the show Vicky Osterweil on NPR to do an interview about her book in Defensive Looting and Republican has been mad ever since.
Speaker 2: Like a few months ago, Trump signing Executive Order to quote unquote end taxpayer subsidation of biased media, which specifically sought to defund MPR and PBS through ending contributions through the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, in the order saying quote, government funding of news media in this environment is not only outdated and unnecessary, but corrosive to the appearance of journalistic independence. And instead they replaced the role of PBS and NPR with One American News, the super far right mode in sending like American News overseas. Instead of rooting things like the Voice of America, they are explicitly entering a partnership with OA N which is of the.
Speaker 3: Certain stuff like Voice of American News and the Cuban Broadcasting Office right like where they which are explicitly like these are things the US government goes to to advance its a gender abroad like this isn't.
Speaker 4: And now the way that they're doing that is with one America, which is really funny because that probably does make it less effective. I do want to circle back a little bit to what this is going to do to MPR and PPS, because like the main central NPR. I mean, obviously it's a disaster for even like the national MPR, but like this is going to just annihilate any semblages of like local news.
Speaker 2: Right, like yeah, because they rely on public broadcasting and NPR massively around the country.
Speaker 4: Especially in rural areas. Like one of the Reportsoy was ridic was talking about how like Texas was expecting to lose half of their like NPR stations and like rural areas. This is just like the apocalypse for any kind of like rural local news. And you know, obviously, like this is a part of trust attempt to just consolidate all of the American media under his control through a combination of destroying this kind of stuff and then doing lawsuits. And also and this is another thing we need to talk about, is like here'shon you talked about this Guidiance merger and how that you know, is being used as leverage to like just destroy the gut CBS, loot it and turn it into just like a pro Trumpet.
Speaker 2: Outlet, right, like allegedly entering in a cooperation deal with the Free Press from Barry Weiss exert editorial control over CBS News, which we'll just take the outlet destroy sixty minutes, one of the most respectable, longstanding television news programs in the history of the country.
Speaker 4: I think there's a very good argument that this is what Bezos is doing to the Washington Post. Right, is better for these people that news outlets don't exist, or like seven people read the like unhandebar right things than it is for like anything to actually exist. This is all again like media consolidation of a diictorial regime being accelerated by the fact that all of these things are owned either by corporations or individual billionaires. So that's bad. Speaking of bad, the EPA's Office of Research has just been eliminated. This is a unbelievable catastrophe because the EPA's Office of Research does all of the basic research about like is this chemical dangerous? What does this chemical do to the environment, what does like what do these pollution levels do? This is the part of the EPA that undergirds like basically all in our mental regulations and all regulations on things like chemical protection. Right, it comes out of this Office of Research. That's where the standards are set, that's where the science has done that is used in basically like all like regulatory policy that the EPA does that other agencies used to, and they're just destroying it. Trump has said that they're going to move some of it to other offices, but they've already been massively downsizing the EPA. Every day we edge closer and closer to w're just like, this is the country with no environmental regulations. We're seeing it more and more. At some point on the show, we're going to cover all of the unhinged shit that's been happening with the power stations and like generators set up to power AI stuff. I also want to specifically mention one of the things that the New York Times reported on, which is that the people who are running the destruction of the EPA have been trying to get rid of the integrated risk information system, which, if you've ever dealt with dangerous chemicals, the integrated risk information system is the system that tells you what the effects of it are. Every chemical has one right, and these fucking people like there's a guy who's now in the American First Policy Institute, which, like Trump, pulls a lot of shit from who is literally talking about just getting rid of it because quote, IRIS evaluations often rely on worst case scenario hazard assumptions that fail to consider real world exposure.
Speaker 3: That's kind of the situation with these things, isn't you don't want to look at the worst case scenario.
Speaker 4: Yes, And when you don't look at the worst case scenario. One of the other agencies that's been like just destroyed is the US Chemical Safety and Hazard Investigation Board, which is very famous for doing a bunch of very very good YouTube videos about like plant disasters and like how safety violations and safety laps has caused like fucking plants to explode. And that's just like gone now. And this is, you know, the world that these people want you to live in is a world in which you don't know what all of these corporations are pumping into the environment around you. And even if you can figure out what the chemicals they're pumping, like into the roundwater that you're drinking is, you're not supposed to know what it does. This is just like the basic infrastructure for how all American like chemical operations work, and they're just trying to destroy it.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: Great, speaking of chemicals, Yeah, speaking of chemicals and the government trying to destroy it. The government of Puerto Rico has passed a bill that bans gender affirming care of all kinds for anyone under the age of twenty one, because twenty one is the.
Speaker 2: Age, the highest that we've seen.
Speaker 4: So what's happening here is twenty one is the age which become a legal adult in Puerto Rico, which is unhinged. Yeah, this is the highest band we've seen. We've seen a couple of other places try to do it to nineteen. This also includes what's basically a high amendment for transcare, like all transcare of all ages that says that like state money cannot be used, so state insurance stuff like that in Puerto Rico cannot be used to pay for any gender affirming care at all, which is fucking hideous. This is basically the thing we were trying to stop with medicaid wherever we did stop medicaid the Lost Budget bill, but they've passed a local version of it. This bill promises this I think it's up to five years in prison and fifteen thousand dollars in fines for anyone who gives trans healthcare to anyone under the age of twenty one.
Speaker 2: So if you never plan to visit Puerto Rico, it's time to start mailing gender firm and care services to people in Puerto Rico.
Speaker 4: The fun part, too, is this law is worded so loosely that there is genuine concern that it could apply to Like if you are a parent and you try to get your kid gender firman care, this could apply to you.
Speaker 2: There's I would say, I think that aspect of it is still a little bit unclear. I don't want to inspire too much panic in that sense. I think a lot of it is directed at people who work in the medical industry. But still I think if you do not ever want to visit Puerto Rico and you want to help trans people.
Speaker 3: Because presumably like no ban on like the import of the products, right, I guess some product it themselves controlled.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean in Chlade, they don't start doing that.
Speaker 2: But because famously there's never illegal drugs mailed in the United States, they can't stop us. Fell us. We're getting the HRT one way or another. But this sucks and it will force people to adapt and it's a really unfortunate to see. But I do believe in the ability which tries people to overcome the state's attacks against us. Before we close, there's actually one other piece of important news that we need to discuss. We're turning once again to the Stinky Musky segment because the Tesla Diner has finally opened. I know we've been waiting for this for a long time. It is open in La, right right, yeah, so James, you need to get up there and go to the Tesla Diner. They have cyber truck food containers, so that's cool.
Speaker 4: Cool.
Speaker 2: They have Tesla robots helping to serve food and drinks. It's what they're calling retro futurist style. I would never say that. And most importantly, if you want to spend twelve dollars, you can get yourself a single serving of epic bacon that's on the menu. It's called epic Bacon.
Speaker 4: Twelve dollars.
Speaker 2: Twelve dollars Epic bacon at the Tesla diaers twelve oh.
Speaker 4: They also opened it at four to twenty.
Speaker 3: I saw that they also have avocado toast, which is great for those of us who will never afford a home.
Speaker 2: I can't support the Tesla diners serving this lib cock avocado toes needs to be beef tallow fries.
Speaker 3: Well, unfortunately they did put buttermilk bread with avocado toast. So just so like vegan people can't eat there.
Speaker 2: I guess there you go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and again I cannot go to the Testa diner. I don't have to return to Buffalo Wild Wings at two am like I did when I was up in La covering the protest a few weeks ago.
Speaker 1: You know, four wild Wings open that late? Incredible.
Speaker 3: Let me tell you it was time.
Speaker 4: What other time are you going to be eating Buffalo wild wings?
Speaker 3: You lunch? They are like a fucking psycho in college.
Speaker 1: But it was a good time back in the.
Speaker 3: This is a great time. God, no one looked to be weird for wearing a fucking plate carrier with press stand.
Speaker 2: Buffalo that is a war zone. It's basically one step removed from like waffle house.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, which is in turn one step removed from Falujah.
Speaker 2: So, James, I thought that you wanted to plug.
Speaker 3: That's right, Okay, So we do have an email address. It's a encrypted email address. And you can send us emails there. It is cool Zone Tips at proton dot me. What's it going to include a fundraiser this week? We're trying to do one of these every week if there's someone in your community, like we're trying to focus on my fundraisers, people who are raising money for legal a people who need representation. I know immigration lawyers are either overworked or overpriced. It seems to be like like two brackets that they've gone into. Hit me up. You can send that to me at that email address and we'll try and include more of them. This week.
Speaker 2: We we are.
Speaker 3: Fundraising for Primrose and you can find her go fund me page at www dot GoFundMe dot com, slash f slash immigration hyphen lawyer hyphen for hyphen. Primos at Promos is out of detention right now, which is great, but I know she still has a lot of significant expenses and legal expenses coming up. So if you would like to donate, if you'd like to help, this is a concrete thing you can do to help someone.
Speaker 2: We reported the news, We reported the news. It could happen. Here is a production of cool Zone Media.
Speaker 5: For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website cool zonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app Apple podcasts. But wherever you listen to podcasts, you can now find sources where it could happen here listen directly in episode descriptions.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening.