Speaker 1: Oh day one. Dear Connor, you can probably guess where I am right now. I'm sitting in our favorite place in the world. Sure, I know. We spent two whole summers with Mom and Dad building the new Red One. And don't get me wrong, she's beautiful. If there was ever a Montana resort made for chickens, it's right over there. But there's something special about this creeky old barn. It's the one place on the whole ranch where you can sit on top and almost see the back edge of our land. Like right over that last hill is Turkey River, where G Pop's grandpa first set off down Travis Creek to clean this meadow. It's been too long since I've climbed up here. It all looks the same as before, but it's not. Everything has changed. Everything is different than it was supposed to be. And I really miss Bailey.
Speaker 2: You up there. Ugh, Yes, it's good to see you back up on the old barn.
Speaker 1: Bailey, Gee Pop, you scared the life out of me.
Speaker 2: Oh I'm sorry. For a second, I thought you were a raccoon up there causing a ruckus. Didn't mean to scare you like that.
Speaker 1: It's okay, I was just finishing my lunch.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, then what else do you got there? Uh?
Speaker 1: It's a journal for school, I guess I found it this morning outside my door with a bag of caramels on top.
Speaker 2: You know what I love about your mother? Mmm?
Speaker 1: She's your daughter, so hopefully a lot of things.
Speaker 2: Ever since I can remember, she always has a way of finding the best gift that I didn't even know I needed but I did. And then those little surprime It's like a mystery. Does he leave you something else besides the caramel?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Here, look at this, Bailey Grace.
Speaker 2: If you think I'm crawling up on that raggedy old metal roofing, but my big old self. Okay, hey, I didn't mean for you to just jump off the thing, but of course, what else should I expect from you kids? Let me see what you got there? I knew it, her famous fat pig drawing.
Speaker 1: Don't you think I'm getting a little too old for mister porky pants to be on the first page of my journal?
Speaker 2: Nah? Never? Hey, can I have a caramel?
Speaker 1: Sure? So? Are we gonna move the cattle today? For real? Just the two of us?
Speaker 2: Yep, it's overdue to rotate pastures and your mother has to get the ball rolling on the garden. We've got a lot of catching up to do, and it's time go ahead and tack up Sonny. You could take point by yourself.
Speaker 1: No, I I think I'll stick with the ATV and take up the flank.
Speaker 2: You sure about that? Wouldn't you rather dust off your saddle and lead the herd than drive that old four wheeler even by yourself? It should be easy if you keep Travis Creek till you're right.
Speaker 1: True, But I really think the ATV will be best for me today.
Speaker 2: Sonny could really use some attention.
Speaker 1: Hey, Bailey, I'll meet you on the field. You take point. I caught blank? Hey, Gepop, I have the southern edge pretty clean. How's it going up there with you?
Speaker 2: I swear these aberdeens are gonna make my head curl over? They just keep trying to push towards the gorge.
Speaker 1: Did you round up Hannah Mutana yet?
Speaker 2: What? Hannah Montana?
Speaker 1: No, it's Hannah never mind. Just get the big heifer with the spot on her face moving in the right direction and the rest will follow. You'll be fine.
Speaker 3: Gepop, sounds like.
Speaker 2: You should be up here at point it's been a year since I've done this part. You know, back in my day, we would sleep out here on the stars and I would learn these animals better than I'm new my own brother.
Speaker 1: No flank can be my thing. Now. Oh wait a second, I think I see something. Uh, give me a minute to see what's going on over the hill?
Speaker 2: Wish everything? Okay? Do you need me?
Speaker 1: No, I'm sure it's nothing crazy. Might be the Buckholtz heard, maybe broke through the fence again. I'll go to out. Wow, not the buck holds hurt. Wild's are back again, gepop. The wild horses are back in closer than ever. They're all there, and there are a few new fools. Even. That's strange. Where'd you come from? Buddy? What do you think you're doing? Hanging out around another stallion's herd?
Speaker 3: Beautiful though, Bailey, Come in, Bailey.
Speaker 1: I need to write this down. Connor, our herd came back again. But it looks like there's a new horse with them. He's a bay with a white stripe down his face. He looks young and wild, almost as wild as you. I miss you. You and I were supposed to be doing this together. We had a dream and we were so close. I can't do this.
Speaker 2: There you are, Bailey, Grace is everything okay?
Speaker 1: Oh yes, sir, I'm sorry. I was just watching that wild herd and I'm sorry I lost track of time. Come on, let's finish this, Dailey.
Speaker 2: You don't have to do this alone. Come on now, boy, we got some ground to catch up on.
Speaker 3: That's great, honey.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm so impressed with how well they prepared for this without me these past four months. I wish you could have seen the all today.
Speaker 5: Well, you developed a good team with good managers and trainers, not to mention good horses, so I may not be as surprised as you are, but I sure I'm proud of you.
Speaker 4: Everyone's been real nice, asking how we're doing it all. They held a moment for Connor before the main started.
Speaker 5: I could feelhim, well, then maybe this will be our best season yet.
Speaker 4: Are you sure you're okay with me being gone? You know how long the circuit schedule is, and I was thinking maybe I could cut it short.
Speaker 1: Blake.
Speaker 3: We need you out there.
Speaker 5: As much as I hate having you gone, I really don't know of another option of how we'll keep this all going. Anyways, it feels good to be useful again here and to see the farm come.
Speaker 3: Back to life.
Speaker 5: But Blake, I keep catching myself looking for him out in the fields or down by the barn. And I'm worried about Bailey.
Speaker 4: As she started riding Sonny.
Speaker 5: Again, I don't think so Dad was gonna try and get her to ride today.
Speaker 3: They moved the cattle, starting off strong.
Speaker 4: I see, so how'd that go?
Speaker 3: I don't know yet. I guess I shouldn't push her too hard. But oh, hang on, Hey, Bailey, Dad's on FaceTime.
Speaker 1: Come say hi, Hi Dad. Sorry, I'm a complete and disgusting mess. I need to wash out before dinner.
Speaker 4: That's okay. Uh, the farrier's here, one of those horses through a shoe. Gotta run.
Speaker 5: Love you, Shannon, Okay, I love you too, babe.
Speaker 3: Hey Dad, did you get me some rosemary?
Speaker 2: Got it right here? Two sprigs of rosemary coming right up.
Speaker 3: Thank you. Mom's recipe wouldn't be complete without it.
Speaker 2: M I need some of that right now.
Speaker 5: Not yet, it has to simmer first. Plus, look at your hands. They are covered in dirt and who knows what else, although I can probably guess.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, you don't have to be so pushy, I'll wash them.
Speaker 5: You should know better than to take the spoon out of a chef's hand without permission.
Speaker 2: So how far did you get with the garden?
Speaker 3: Far enough to believe me? It was a mess in there?
Speaker 5: Can't tell if it was our animals or not, but somebody has been feasting on the cucumbers and tomatoes.
Speaker 2: Were there any holes at the base of the fencing, Yes, I think so groundhogs. You just need to put Rocky in there for a while.
Speaker 5: Rocky all he does is dig holes. I don't want Rocky causing any more mess in there. He'll just make it worse. Dad, help me set the table.
Speaker 2: Oh about cayenne pepper? How much pepper do you have?
Speaker 3: There's pepper on the table.
Speaker 2: No, I'll need a lot more than that.
Speaker 5: I think we actually have a pretty big container of it in the back of the pantry.
Speaker 3: Why for dinner?
Speaker 2: Groundhogs have sensitive noses and they can't stand pepper. I bet if I shake some around the garden, they'll be out of there in no time.
Speaker 5: Not sure where you come up with these things, but I like that a lot better than Rocky digging around in there.
Speaker 3: How did it go with Bailey today.
Speaker 2: Well, we got the job done.
Speaker 3: Did she ride the horse?
Speaker 2: Nah, she rode the yama.
Speaker 3: She chose the four wheeler instead of the horse. She put her heart and soul.
Speaker 2: Into I just hey, don't put too much pressure on her. She'll come around in her own time. That journal you gave her was a good start.
Speaker 3: Oh good? Is she using it?
Speaker 1: Using?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 5: Gepop says? You showed him your new journal? What do you think?
Speaker 1: Well? I did like the caramels, but I guess the journal's okay too, and accounts for school? Right?
Speaker 3: Sure? Absolutely, But you're not going to read it or anything, are you?
Speaker 5: Only if you want me to. But i'd watch out for mister porky pants. He can be so nosy ah ha.
Speaker 2: So can we eat now or what? I'm starting to feel a little like mister porky pants?
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, let's sit down.
Speaker 1: Uh. Geepop, what are you doing with that huge thing of pepper? You can just use the shaker on the table.
Speaker 2: Oh honey, it's for the ground.
Speaker 1: Hogs reading what for dinner?
Speaker 2: No, no, the ground hogs in your mother's garden. I'm gonna scare them off with the pepper, Ailey.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna pretend I didn't hear you accuse me of cooking groundhog for dinner.
Speaker 2: Hey, now it ain't that bad. Cook just right over a fire. Mm it's even better than chicken.
Speaker 3: Hmmm.
Speaker 1: Remind me to bring my own food the next time you take me camping. Sonjay wants to buy a bike that costs three hundred and twenty five dollars. He has fifty five dollars and saves his allowance each month starting in May. By the end of August, he has enough to buy the bike assuming Ugh, Sonja, do you really need a bike?
Speaker 3: Hey, honey, can I come in sure?
Speaker 1: Mom, I'm just finishing up math.
Speaker 3: How's it going great?
Speaker 1: So fun?
Speaker 3: Hah?
Speaker 5: I can see that by all the drawings on your paper you are really good at drawing horses.
Speaker 1: Thanks their horses from the wild Horse Range. This one is the lead stallion, remember him?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, the beautiful dappled gray one.
Speaker 1: Right, but he's looking more white this year. They came really close today. I saw them grazing about one hundred yards from our fence when we were pushing cattle.
Speaker 3: That is closer than normal. So, uh, how did it go today with moving the cattle? I mean it went fine.
Speaker 5: Must have been tough. I know it was a favorite job to do with your brother.
Speaker 1: I said it was fine.
Speaker 3: Really, what about Sonny?
Speaker 1: What about her? The ATV worked just as well, and I took the flank Gepop usually used the ATV to ride flank anyway so he could cover more ground without tiring out the horses.
Speaker 5: I just think it'd be a good time to get back in the saddle with things around here.
Speaker 1: Literally, did you mean back to normal? Mom? It will never be normal again, So what's the point.
Speaker 3: I don't want to see you get stuck? What do you think Connor would tell you?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 3: Don't say that you can tell me how you're feeling.
Speaker 1: You know, I don't want to. I just can't.
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay, I love you, sweetie.
Speaker 5: The answer to the last problem is ninety dollars. Just don't tell your teacher I helped you cheat.
Speaker 1: Mom, you are my teacher.
Speaker 3: Your favorite teacher.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: Good night, Bailey, good night, and good night math book? What did I do with that journal? Hey, Connor? Mom's trying to be funny again. She's not much of a comedian. Or maybe I'm just not feeling up to laughing. I'm feeling pretty exhausted. Actually, it was a lot harder to move the cattle today without you. She Pap wanted me to take the lead, but what he really needed was you, not me. I don't know if I'll ever be able to do it again, and or heard what am I supposed to do? There? The new bay hanging around them is a stallion. I'm worried about him. The gray stallion won't let him hang out for long. What would you do, Connor? I just know there's going to be trouble.
Speaker 2: Streams of Macie find joy to me.