Speaker 1: Drive Time with Travis Wingfield begins. Now, let me check your pulse if you're not far of though.
Speaker 2: What is up? Dolphins? And welcome to the Draft Time Podcast, part of the Miami Dolphins podcast network, covering your team, your Miami Dolphins. How's it going, everybody? I'm your host, Travis Wingfield. And on today's show, we're looking at another tape, the Dolphins victory over the New England Patriots. We'll break it all down from the big plays, my top five individual tapes and things that set out from a general offensive and defensive standpoint, as well as the individuals, look at some key stats and the snap counts. A busy Tuesday episode for you all here or Monday night whenever the heck. This thing comes out from the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex. This is the Drive Time Podcast. Hey Gaffe, I don't like to dilly dally here on these podcasts. Let's go ahead and get right into the Week two at New England Patriots twenty four to seventeen Dolphins victory all twenty two review and we start, as we do weekly, with the big plays, and we start with the Dolphins opening touchdown and eight yard scamper from Raheem Moster with ten minutes to play in the second quarter, and the design was really what sprung this play, which is interesting because hat on a hat in the second touchdown run, which we'll get to was kind of what sprung Raheem for his second touchdown run of the game. But you get this orbit motion from Savon Ahmed, which, by the way, another instance of twenty one personnel two backs on the field where it does not include alec Ingold. So Ahmed and Raheem shared the field and Ahmed goes in orbit motion from a nasty split. What does that mean, Travis? Nasty split means you're in tight to the formation. You'll see Tyreek there a lot on those short motion runs that he has. And orbit motion is when you go back behind the quarterback and running back in the backfield. And so Savon starts to motion towards the left and orbits back to the right where he came from, and this creates the run strength to the left of the formation. But because of all the orbit motion that the defense has to deal with, and Tua handing the football to Raheem on his right away from where the track of the run wants to go for Raheem. I think this caused a bunch of overplay and some missteps and some flow to the wrong side of the field. From that Patriots front, you get that hard overplay and then from there all the offensive line had to do was just turn and seal their guy because they were washed down because of the design, because of the action pre snap, with the motion McDaniel in his bag from the jump cooking it up, creating easy lanes for Raheem. Moster, then all you needed was key blocks at the point from durham Smyth and Tyreek Hill, and quite frankly, they didn't really have to stay attached to those blocks, just had to get a body in front of those guys, and they did, and Raheem scored six points for Miami. Our next big play is a shot from Tua to Waddle for thirty two yards with six point fifteen to play in the third quarter on a second and ten from the plus thirty or from the negative thirty nine, airline should say and they adjust to the seam slant look by bracketing it inside. And this is another instance of McDaniel and this offense just being better than you because on this play it's alec Ingold in the slot. You sure you want to bracket Ingold? I love alec Ingold. In fact, he's gonna be spoiler in our top five tapes here. But are you sure about that?
Speaker 1: You sure about?
Speaker 2: That's why you want to do is double wallacket Gold in the slot and leave Wattle outside all by himself. I can't do a bit for the entire thing that creates a one on one situation for Waddle with a plus split to the boundary. And we don't typically run those types of alignments because we like to leave ourselves, wisely some space to work with the go route. And when you align outside the numbers on the field, like the actual ten, twenty, thirty forty numbers on the field, you condense your window for the quarterback to throw to on those nine routes, and they're difficult to win because not just that, but the bracket inside kind of makes it a one way goes. Wattle's only real place to go on this deep shot is a vertical route, and he still does it because he has a nasty little hesitation step release that puts the defensive back in a little bit of peril. A little bit of indecision off the snap, and Tua, this quarterback, is so freaking good man. He sees that Wattle, he throws the ball two yards before he's even the old saying right, he's even he's leaving. He knows when Wattle wins a release, and he throws this ball well before he has hit the jets against a stationary cornerback and lets it fly before he's even you know, two yards within the dB and the ball is out when Wattle is at the minus forty three, which is literally five yards downfield from the snap, and he makes the catch at the plus thirty eight, so roughly twenty yards worth of anticipation yards you're accounting there for. And the middle of the field safety because as much you know, I guess middle of the field closed as they played with three high looks, this is actually a single high look. And that's why I love Tua for understanding what coverages A four, what opportunities The single high look gives you a chance as long as you can hold that safety in the middle of the football field to take your shot. And when you got wallle one on one burning by a defensive back, let's go ahead and crank those up and get the football down the field. And the way to holds that safety is he keeps his helmet to the right and doesn't give away the secret that the ball is going to the left. That makes him stay in that position. He's too late to get over because he stares it down to the right to create that space to the left, drops it in the bucket. Pass protection solid as hell, and Wattle makes a good catch, can test it up in the air. Awesome execution all around. Their professional football is cool when it's played at that kind of level. Our next big play is in the fourth quarter from the offense, the Raheem Moster forty three yard touchdown run with a seven point lead, eight point fifty two to play in the game from the plus forty three and you needed points on this drive, it felt like, and they got it in one play. I mean he went untouched, so not a lot to break down. But it starts with Connor Williams and Rob Hunt. So Connor gets the initial displacement at the point of attack and Hunt joined him. Gosh, the way these guys work on these catching climbs, on these doubles in pass protection like this is a well coached offensive line for the first time in along thirteen years. Rob joins up on Connor and doubles that nose tackle. And when Rob makes that contact, like Connor has moved him like a half gap, Rob gets complete displacement and pushes him an extra gap to the side, so you know Connor has fully executed his play. Rob has executed half of his play. Then he climbs up to the second level and he raises the mic linebacker just wipes him out. Black hole. You're gone, See you later, dude. You don't exist on this earth anymore. And then kind of simple from there. Win and Lamb just wall off three guys with two seal blocks, which is I guess impressive in its own right, even though they were in an advantageous look. And then Raheem did the rest one foot in the ground, cut up and go. The cornerback takes an awful angle. You can't do that against four to three speed, especially when it's the second fastest time speed in the National Football League this year, by the way, the other top three times belong to Tyreek Hill. Some plays defensively that I want to break down here. At the end of the first core ten seconds to go a Bradley Chubb forced fumble on third and seven at the plus thirty nine, and this ball is gonna be down by the red zone by the time the plays over because mac Jones, who played pretty well, put the ball in a good spot and got them a first down. But Chubb finished the play more so than the Patriots did. The Dolphins overload the strength, which is the strong side of the field, more players, that's more versus less. That's strength and week in terms of football alignment, and you get what looks like could be one on one for Bradley Chubb. But this is where I thought Fangio also was in his bag. He peels out and we do bring that overload blitz off. The offense is right, and again credit to mac Jones, he fades away from the pressure and drops a very similar throw to what we saw to a try on that ball to Azukama that got deflected in the middle of the field. This one, though, goes complete and then Chubb he's on the entire time. When he peels back into coverage, he peaks Douglas wide open with Gasiki running what is essentially a little pick route from his dack alignment that gets this easy inside access for Douglas going up against Xavier Howard and Chubb stays with it, and then Howard's hustle to cut Douglas off and force the cutback is what allows Chubb to catch up. He does tomahawks the football from the back, and Christian Wilkins talked about this because, well, I asked him on Monday, you guys emphasize the hell of that, man, go ahead and break this play down from a big dog, because you guys consistently retrace your steps, and in this instance, Bradley Chubb makes a game changing play by doing just that. No, that was big.
Speaker 3: You know, It's definitely something we emphasize, and you know, we talk about a lot as a D line just getting out the stack because those are the you know, oftentimes it's the guys you don't see. And that was a perfect example and a prime example of getting out the stack, stack monsters hunting, you know, and just trying to make a play downfield. And that was great to see and I kind of had like a perfect view on it. I was like, Bradley, please get there. Like I didn't know who it was. I saw a white color flash. I was like please get there, you know, and I was able to make a great play on the ball and just you know clinic tape of a ham down on the ball from the blind side.
Speaker 2: Additional note on that play, Deshaun Elliott was not the first on the scene for the recovery, but he just wanted it more than the offensive player did. He raked it away from ron J. Stevenson at the bottom of the pile. Big time play and xaviering Howard's pick belongs in this section, but I gave it a detailed breakdown yesterday on the podcast, but just want to acknowledge it once again, and the final play of our five big play breakdown here is the last play of the game on defense. First, Justin Bethel is tracking close and man coverage to Mike Gasicki, which kind of tells you about how they view that matchup on the side of the ball, and the strength that Bethel shows against a human being much larger than he to hold him up and short of the sticks is excellent. But then it's also a really good play by Gasiki to get the lateral off. But then we get Team Football rally to the football and make a play to win the game for your team. Hollins's initial hit slows up Cole Strange, but good on him for kind of having the I guess the balance and the strength to push forward. But then who else is there but Andrew Ginkle to stand up Strange cold right at the spot. And then Javan stays with it and keeps working at those legs, trying to get him to the turf, and it drives him to the ground. Those two guys really combined to finish it off and get us a victory. But the last final shot from Eli Apple, I thought maybe put him down, like just short of the final six inches he needed, so good team effort there was kind of the case all night. And that takes us right into our top five tapes from the game before we take our first break here on the show, and I have to go back to Andrew Van Ginkle. This was a pretty easy one in this game. Gosh, he has added some juice. I love him off the edge with the way he played in that game, the stuff that he showed consistently multiple moves. I don't ever want to see him off the football again on the edge. Rush to quarterback Van Ginkle, go make your plays, baby, because the bend, acceleration through the arc. It's freaking impressive. Like he's got an arsenal of moves that I'm just not sure we've seen from him before. There was a double swipe across chop where he's getting around the edge and bending it with a variety of moves that just kept this right tackle off balance all night long. Big key matchup for Miami. Two backup tackles Van Ginkle and Chubb bade them pay all night long. There was a rep on a toss play away from him in the running game where he just moved faster than everybody else and cut the play down from the backside. He also ran down a swing route to the Patriots running back who had him out flanked pre snap, which should be an advantge for the offense, but he outruns into the sideline and makes a big tackle for loss. There was a near stripsack that was ruled incomplete where they chip him and he works around that engages the right tackle, and then in one fluid motion, just corners and disengages at the same time, drops the inside hand, dips that shoulder, makes a target the offensive tackle cannot hit, dips it bends, it gets to the quarterback. My goodness, what a game this was. And I thought I was done, but I ain't done yet. He goes to the nine technique, that wide alignment way out had the tight end and works upfield after he's been beating the right tackle with speed all night long, and what do you do but adjust on the fly. He oversets Van Ginkle, hits a wicked spin move back inside and gets in free again for a free run on Mac Jones. And then two plays later, Damn Near grabs a pick six. He tipped it and they caught it. Then he goes and makes the tackle, and then of course the sack cross chop dip rip. What a tape. Andrew Van geekl the best game of his career on Sunday Night Football, Oh Sunday Night to a tongue of I low is my second best tape of the game. The first third down conversion of the game. He slides off the spot, plays leverage of the defensive back and converts to Barrios. He consistently stood up at the Lion scrimmage and barked out orders to put the Dolphins in what I thought was favorable box counts in the running game, which I wanted to ask McDaniel on Monday, didn't get the question to cross what Tua's autonomy at the Lion scrimmage is. But I'm pretty sure that he has full autonomy to make those checks. And we consistently ran the ball to favorable box counts all game long. This is something Tua didn't do under Brian Florida. I don't know if he was allowed to or if he just I'm pretty sure that's the case. But we will run the ball into bad box counts or not check into runs against favorable box counts. That ain't the case no more. We run the right play almost every time. And I've talked about Tua and certain tapes through my favorites right and those are obviously like typically the four hundred yard four touchdown plus days YadA, YadA yah. But I'm gonna tell you right now, this was possibly his best tape if not for the pick, which was a bonehead to play and a bad throw, might have been the best one. Because the Patriots had a great game plan, one of the greatest coaches of all time, arguably the best defensive mind in the history of football. They knew how to force Tua consistently into throws that they didn't make a year ago, into the third and fourth read in the progression. I mean, I can't know this for sure, but watch the way Tua's helmet works the entire field and gets through his reads. It's pretty clear to me. You just can't cover everything in defense, especially in twenty twenty three. And Tua knows the vulnerability, how to attack it, how his concept can attack that vulnerability. And the best part is teams will now have to dissect this tape and figure out well they held Tyreek to forty Wadal didn't go over one hundred, but Tua still had two hundred and forty nine and that was basically all in the first half. Throwing the ball to Raheem moster Are on swing passes Braxon Burrios from River Craycraft and Durham smythe with the slot iOS one on one. It's just too much. When your quarterback plays at this high of a level, it's not stoppable. You can hope to contain him, you cannot stop him. One way you can't stop him, though, is a snap the ball at his ankles, and he did have a touchdown wide open on that opening drive. On the play where he slipped and did that weird like ankle twisting action and threw the ball away. But the low snap clearly messes up with his footwork and just didn't get it right because waddle uncovered and the hook zone at the goal line was wide open. Working against inside leverage, Tua never misses those. He would have been an easy touchdown pass there, and fittingly enough, that was really the only one snap where two was footwork got out of whack, and again the low snap plays into it. But this dude has the best feet at the position in the entire game. The way he can operate a lot of fakes that gives hard sales to second level defenders or conflict defenders trying to read his action, his ability to go from nowhere near aligned like no threat to throw the football to snap all the mechanics right into place, all in shape in the blink of an eye. It's a rare, rare quality. Like play action from the gun flowing to the right, looking back to the field for Tyreek and craivecraft and whip the head back with the feet and the hips and the shoulders back to the boundary and throw this strike working purely off the leverage, like he's not throwing the ball reading Wattle, He's reading this defensive back who has his face to the sideline, playing inside leverage, trying to wall that stuff off and drive outside because that's where the ball's going to a seize that leverage. Throws it inside right at that dB, trust that Wattle finishes his route in front, cut across make the catch. It's beautiful quarterback play. Saw another no look pass on this tape as well, on the touchdown drive before the half. He aligns to the hook, but throws the ball to the slant, that little rail hook slant slide combination we have, and you can see the new New England linebacker close on the hook and it opens the window on the slant like high level football fellas and ladies, and those passes are just right on the face mask all night long. Keyhole accuracy. We'll always have a place in this league. And as I write this, the Burrios throw comes up incredible route from Bracks and burials, but for Tua to move off the spot, never get a chance to really have his feet reset and just flix it out there on a little wheel route from his own thirty right down to the five yard line with the same location we saw on the fade to Tyreek last week for the winning touchdown. You're not going to defend that zero defense for it. They threw everything at Tua. Double brackets on Wattle and Tyreek, double robbers, three high spend, a single high, a gap, mugged up, looks green dog, blitz is, delayed blitzes. They had the forty nine thousandth page of the playbook they were going to it. I know that's all gibberish terminology to the non film obsessed fan, but trust me when I tell you Pelichick pulled out the back pages of that playbook and Tua threw for eight point three yards per pass and engineered four long scoring drives, had us imposition for two more Fueld goals, which is another six points thirty points total if you get those two kicks with the Dame uprights. Not bad, not even close about it. Another stellar tape from QB one. Just the one play I didn't like, obviously, was the interception. It wasn't there, the corner was in good shape, the throw was short and out of the position. Just not a good play there. First down felt like it was forced, but great tape. Otherwise. Pro Football Focus had him at one for four to eighteen yards and a pick when under pressure, which is very out of the norm for him. But nine for thirteen against the Blitz for ninety four yards and a touchdown. Pass overall twenty one for thirty and we dropped four passes, so twenty five for thirty accurately. And how about the short game to count the three deep look from the from no yardage to nine yards down the field thirteen for sixteen, one hundred and four yards. Getting six point five yards per pass on those throws is exactly how you defeat that coverage and force teams to get tired and come up and coverage and then boom, you can beat him up over the top. He's also first in a million categories. He's top five in a million categories. Just balling your league MVP right now for my money, no doubt about it. Let's go ahead and take our first break right there and come back on the other side and do the other three of my top five tapes, plus offense and defensive notes, snap counts, so much more to come your way here on the Draft Time podcast, your host Travis Wingfield brought to you by Auto Nation. Andrew Van Ginkel and Tuatungua bai Looa bring home the top two tapes from the Dolphins victory in Foxborough. My third favorite tape of the game belongs to alec Ingold. I feel like I'm getting repetitive here, but that's okay. One of the most valuable players in the team. Side by side him catching that rail with a pure wet for a big game last week against the Chargers. Put that side by side to him coming across the formation and split flow action. What's split flow action? Travis? In zone blocking, the entire offensive line moves one direction. Split flow is the one guy, typically a tight endor fullback, coming back across the formation and wham blocking a three hundred and fifteen pound defensive tackle in Christian Barmore, who also happens to be their best interior player. By the way, like what he had sensational work digging out players inside. He would align in a condensed bunch outside the field to the hash, which basically means he's a slot receiver. That's all that terminology means. And then goes and gets to dB like the ability to power up and take a three hundred and fifteen pound defensive tackle on and get knocked back, and then the athletic ability for you know, clearing up a four to four guy out in space. Unreal. Unreal. Let's go ahead and hear from Rob Hunt on how much he loves seeing his fullback go shlam a three hundred and fifteen pound defensive tackle.
Speaker 4: I love it, manh I love that shot. I love watching it. I we just watched a little bit of I'll like, you know, like when I'm playing, I'm usually trying to like you know, I think I hit pretty hard and played the game pretty hard. But watching him, I'm like, damn, you know, he he got a little something man, he got he got it whatever it is like like guys, know, you look at you look at a game, you look at certain guys. Guys have a certain little way they play. He got that way of playing. So I respect that and I like watching it on film.
Speaker 2: And how does Alec feel when he sees the role on his play when they install it that he has to go way, I'm a three hundred and fifteen pound defensive tackle. He likes it.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, let's do it. The more you can do and I think those looks people are gonna study that they're gonna have to practice against that. And the more things that we can do and the more angles that we can create for our runners, I think that's where you see creases hit, and that's where you see a guy like Raheem running twenty one and a half miles an hour. Like that's the power of a run game like that?
Speaker 4: You like that?
Speaker 2: You like that? I like xaviing Howard's my fourth favorite tape. I lost count of how many snaps that his man kind of ran their route into X and then just sort of gave up and shut it down because X was squared up to his man frequently and prevented them from getting into their move arsenal or their release arsenal at the top of the route. Just shut it down all night long. Also, his pick, I broke it down the podcast last night, just pinned the man to the sideline Randovante Parker all the way out of bounds like he does every time he faces him. High points to the football, taps the toes our ball twenty nine picks for exaving Howard in his career. My fifth favorite tape is Raheem Moster and he probably could have been higher, but just so very good the way he turns speed to power and bounces off tacklers. It's in the numbers, but he also had a stiff arm on bar More five yards behind the line where he just put the big fellow down to the turf, which is really impressive speed or I should say power to combine with four to three speed. It's fun to watch in this game. You know, I talked about it last year that at the end of the season he averaged four point sixty five yards after contact over the final five games, and you kind of felt the juice coming to life with him coming back off the knee injury in twenty twenty one, well, he's a full year recover removed from that now three point six eight yards after contact. He forced four miss tackles on eighteen carries, and Savon Akhmed, who I thought had a chance to turn up for a big first down on a third down reception where he just kind of went out of bounce. Didn't love that play from him in space on the perimeter, like, go make a move, dude. But also he did make the guy's miss. Out of five rushing attempts, had two forced miss tackles for an average of five to three three yards after average contact. So the running backs getting the job done. Let's go ahead and hear from coach McDaniel on Raheem Moster and what gave him confidence all summer long to entrust a thirty one year old running back to beat his bell count.
Speaker 1: You know, I have extensive history with Raheem and it's you know what people haven't, you know from our vantage point and mine specifically, Like he's with opportunities. You know that weren't plentiful in the beginning of his career. You know, he doesn't have he was he was cut nine hundred times and you know was the NFC Championship Game in twenty nineteen, he didn't even start when he had two hundred and twenty yards and four touchdowns and then has had to deal with some injuries, but all the while his game has progressed. So and he's a unique individual that I mean currently has either won the first or second fastest ball carrier time since recorded in sixteen twenty three something, and he was like twenty nine years old, so he to look at him through the same lens is every other back I think would be mistake, and I'm just watching the nuances of his game. He's he's developed confidence, conviction, he's a little his vision's better, he's more decisive, and he's as you guys could see last night, but it was very evident at the end of the season last year. He is a hard tackle, you know he is. He pound for pound, might be one of, if not the strongest person on the team really, and he's He's just unique in that way. So I try to very much acknowledge when when people live outside the curve and not just you know, because you don't want to be I'd rather be the person that was like, yeah, see, I know it because you just watch what he does on a daily basis and know how hungry he is and how much he wants to do what he does best, which is run the football.
Speaker 2: Some additional notes on offense. I want to break down some of the schematics of the Dolphins offense here. I talked about it in the Sunday or Monday Am recap show. I don't know what day it is, man, I slept three hours last night. How McDaniel and the offensive staff have created an offense with solutions for the adjustments to the adjustments to the adjustments to the adjustments, and who boy, I think I undersold it after watching this tape. We've heard Mike McDaniel say in the past that he laughs when people refer to the scheme or the offense and how to better execute what we saw from twenty twenty two in the twenty twenty three season, because it's not the same at all. Every years a new system you have to adapt and change. And we saw the short motion, the speed motion lead to all kinds of structural issues and community problems for the Chargers in Week one, and the Patriots adjustment to that was playing their three deep defense and more than any team ever has in the National Football Leage, by the way, forty of sixty one snaps, which is the most since they began tracking that back in two thousand and six. And Miami's adjustment was to play the overplay. The twenty nine yard screen to Jalen Waddle came off of that short motion look to Tyreek where it backs the field corner off the football ten yards that curl flat defender in the short area, and the field safety and the hookbacker all flow to the outside and Miami just pops this ball back inside with four offensive linemen getting out in front to create that convoy for waddle wrinkle effective twenty nine yards erases a big behind the stick situation. The Tyreek touchdown smythe motions from the two the inside receiver to the one furthest outside and from this look. The Dolphins have run that rail slant combination so many times off the play action look with great frequency, but Smyth on the rail widens the boundary zone I wanted to create a pocket. And then Kyle Duggar is playing inside leverage because there's no help to face inside and you have zero chance to cover the speed that he has on the slant inside if you're not gonna play there. But also you can't cover the outside either, So all from alignment easy touchdown because of the design. On the very next series, they run something similar, with this time Savon Ahmed taking the short motion and instead of Tyreek round the slant route, just runs a hookup on third and short. Tua puts the ball right on him. Move the chains. If they want to overplay inside, just throw to him right there. The next drive, it's smythed once again with Tyreek on the hookup and they pretty much blitz Tyreek, so Tua throws the rail to smythe for nine. Then there's a wrinkle where they get all that action where they flood the action side of the play, which we also play pass towards to create that flow, and then they blitz the nickel from the backside and Tua just replaces his blitz with a perfect strike to create craft like there are so many answers to what you might do to us. Later we get the same look, but Tyreek runs the deep hitch, the ball is out before he throttles down, and Bury you runs the corner behind it to hold that cloud corner to the one the furthest out receiver, and you see again the nickel and hookbackers both anticipate the ball going outside. But surprise, it's not I touched on this with TUIs portion, but the wheel to Barrios. Reek the short motion runs the cloud corner up, then he jumps inside on the Barrios pivot because that's always the movie run there. So we're reacting to their overplay that gives them access outside play. The overplay man great stuff. That's like five answers to the overplay from the game one game plan. It has me really excited to see what we come up with next week. In every single week here with McDaniel Frank Smith's offensive staff in their bag early on, some more individual notes and thoughts on the offensive line. They are playing as a cohesive unit, passing off games, understanding where their help is, but also the scheme to get tight ends and alec on these blocks. And it's more than just the offensive lines the offense as a whole. We know the Patriots love running all these varied exotic looks. You get a third down conversion to Tyreek where they double mug the A gaps, one bluffs, one comes, they run a game off the offense's left with the blitz, so five wind up coming, Lynn, Lamb and Win squeeze down to thwart the game they run. They leave the fifth man off the edge unblocked. That's the rule. Always take the immediate threat inside first and work outside from there. And that applies to the back and scan protection which Raheem steps up and shuts down that a gap blitzer who did come. I thought Isaiah Winn was fantastic in this game. He just missed the top five tapes. I thought Lamb was also good. I thought Rob Hunt was also just on the outside of the top five tapes. Very good in this game. Thought Austin Jackson was rock solid once again. I counted two pass sets that were a little bit wonky. Won a sack, one a QB hit, But that's out of what sixty one total reps. Another big game for him. And then Connor Williams doing what he does so well, making key blocks in space and then more coaching and teaching points the way they attach and then break off to go stick a second block across the board. You're catching climb. Look, it's there in the running game too. It's uncanny. It's something you see the REP every day in practice. It looks smooth as hell on the practice field, and it's translating to game day success. LAMB was sensational in that department last night. I thought, win another great game again, big rep after REP. These guys just getting the getting after it. And I hate saying this because I think there's you know, don't think there's much validity to it. But a group that was considered an area of concern heading into the year, all year long by a lot of folks, through two games, it's been a strength. Pressure's allowed six total, just one hit in one sack. Jackson had two of those pressures, the sack and the hit, so I guess he had the worst night pass protection wise, but that was it. Hunt, Lamb and Williams and Ingold all had one pressure allowed but no QB hits. I love the wide receivers in the blocking game. I think this is an identity of the football team, like the defensive line retracing retracing. It shows their love for their teammates when they won't get any limelight but still have a thirst to maximize the offensive general production. No block, no rock baby, and whether it's Tyreek Hill hitting a crackback block to seal the edge in a big Raheem Moster run, Gilen Waddell locating the boundary safety coming all the way over the field on that Savon achbed pop pass to run him right out of the play. Craykraft getting a key crackback block on a five yard Akmed run. It's a frequent occurrence up and down the lineup. Speaking of Waddle, the ball in his hands is just so much dang fun. He's so close to breaking that screen for six. Just gets tripped up. But that's a play that I don't think would have worked outside of anybody but he or Tyreek because the pursuit coming up short against those moves in that speed that he has. He had three point three one yards per route Rehn on Sunday night fourteen point three yards per target. He's a unicorn and my weekly note that Eric Azukama is electric with the ball in his hands. He turned that third and eleven into a third and three with an open field, broken tackle. That's what he does some miscues. Barrios dropped a back shoulder ball on the rail route on our second drive. I thought that was a perfectly placed ball from two on another rep where the Patriots had answers to everything but to it literally throws the ball out of bounds with a low percentage throw, but puts it right on Barrios for what should have been a completion. Bit of a guess, but I feel good about it. The mist of Tyreek where he had to reach back behind between the trio of Patriot, I think he miss timed that or mis ran his route into the wrong location because he's in a position to run himself into the hit. But the ball settled him down in the triangle into the soft spot. The next play is a to a miss cue one on one deep shot to wall to the boundary. Who got a step up top, but the ball was short and real quick. Can we just call these misthrows like underthrow is part of that obviously, but everyone has underthrows every week in the NFL, and they're just misses, like he has the arm to get it there, he just missed the location and it was short. It happens. I'd rather miss short than long, because at least you can come back and make a play like one hundred mile an hour flamethrowers and baseball sometimes skip the ball fifty eight feet up to the home plate. Also, that was defensive pass interference. Wata had to drop on the drive backed up after the X pick. That would have been nice to beat off the goal line. There, So four or five miscues there. Let's go ahead and hear from coach before our last break on how you balance your message to the team about having one thousand yards and sixty points through two games, but also the miscues.
Speaker 1: Well, I think you have to you have to keep real perspective on you know, what are we trying to do. Are we just trying to get a win or are we trying to build to something? You know, specially, you either get better or you get worse in this league, and there's plenty of areas where we see as coaches and as players. I think I think our vision is pretty pretty grounded, where it's where, you know, looking for where can we get better? And there's a bunch of stuff to improve upon, because as the season progresses, you know, there's teams that continue to get better, and there's teams that stay the same or get worse. And at the end of the season, you want to be part of the former, not the latter. Uh And and just by staying the same or not improving is a death sentence really over the long haul of the season. So it's it's good to have some success, you know. However, the offense is both The offense definitely knows that they they needed other phases of the team to come through to make sure that the game was won. That you know, we we the first game we scored with uh, you know, some time remaining on the clock, and you know, if maybe if you're operating your best self, you you score with no time left this pass game, had an opportunity to make it a two score game and didn't get it done. Both games, the defense came through, and you know, you're you're trying to have each phase not be completely dependent on each other while being while depending on each other, if that makes sense. So there I don't see or forecast you know the listen, we we we have some residual scars from last season that that you kind of make last season purposeful by you know, it was the first time that a lot of guys had felt some some sort of positive hype. And whether it's correlation or causation, Uh, the league humbled them. I think, I think and us and I think that's very still alive and awake in our minds. So it's I mean, so early in the season again, two wins and two games is you know whatever, If you're our goals are are much much bigger than that, and that takes continued growth, which will start this week building on the last.
Speaker 2: Let's go ahead and take our last break right there and come back on the other side and do the defensive notes. On the Draft Time podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by Auto Nation, really need to work on cutting these podcasts down a little bit. This was too long, but here we go anyway. Defensive notes when the Dolphins win in New England, the David Long sack on the opening drive was just one where Fangio cooked up a pressure that confused the protection. The tackle fanned out to block Chubb with the nine technique, then the guard center combination clamped inside on Seiler and Long had a free run through the b gap. I love the way the Dolphins are creating pressure. Eight point four percent blitz rate fourteen point nine percent pressure rate is a really good average to have. How about Bradley Chubb, who was very violent with his hands in this game. It got him free against both the run and passed a couple of time, and his quickness on that inside crossover step gives tackles a lot to think about in terms of two way goes. He had a sack that changed the complexion of that final drive to get them way behind the sticks, gets a one on one, goes to the hump move to discard the left tackle, and finishes with a strong sack on mac Jones. I thought Christian Wilkins was excellent. The run defense was just better in every single way, thought the alignment looked better. Thought the stackbackers played much better long and Baker had good games. Sealer did his thing, and then Wilkins. Seems like every game with Wilkins, he finds it on a certain rep and then just goes on a tear from there. He had a swim move of his own working where he plays under a guy, pops the chest, play underneath, and then controls the rep with low pad level and strong hands, wins inside to get penetration to move back to move right into the back. Classic Wilkins game here also used those strong hands to get into the B gap and then cornered for his sack on Mac Jones. Let's go ahead and hear from Christian Wilkins on the run defense's adjustment this week compared to Week one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it was a little bit of both. We definitely, you know, Zach kind of hit us with some with some the D line with some real before the game. I'm gonna say what he said, but you know it was, you know, message received, So you know, just kind of had that in our minds and just like you know, we knew we had to play better. Week one was in us as far as the run defense and our standard and what it's been around here. So it was good to definitely improve against a really good running team. You know. Uh, you know, everybody knows the Patriots like to run the ball. They like to you know, regardless of what's going on. They're a physical, you know, style of you know, style of team. Uh. So we were able to just do some solid things there, which was good and just good to see the defense improve overall going into Week two.
Speaker 2: Also mentioned David Long. The instincts were more in line with what we saw on tape from the Tennessee Titans tape that he had the last four years. He was fitting before the offensive line could climb when they would motion wide. He was keep his eyes in the backfield and react to the run and then go get the football. I thought Deshaun Elliott's speed was on display. He was frequently capping passes down the field and in good shape to force the Patriots into the short game. Javon Holland too big difference making plays, shooting a gap on third and one for a tackle for loss that got the Dolphins defense off the field. Then that coverage snap on Kendrick Bourne, the Patriots best receiver similar to x On Parker. Just pinn and run him out of bounds, take care of it. And then three players who I thought had a very workman light game and just produced in a big way for the Dolphins, but don't really get a lot of the shine here, not highlight plays. Raykwon Davis held his ground in the running game all night long. Very good game for Rakwon. Sealer continues to win with that swim and rip combination a few times a game, did it in this one. And then cater Co who just goes about his business man, What a hell of a player he is. Pressures from PFF Chubb had six, Gink had five, Wilkins and Long both had three, Sealer had two. For your run stops co who, Sealer, Chubb, and Gink all had three. Great knights from those guys Holland, Wilkins, Davis, Long, and Baker all had two. Apiece x was targeted nine times, six catches on fifty one coverage snaps for just forty six yards and a pick. That's a great night for xaviing Howard co who forty nine coverage snaps just thirteen yards allowed. Great player Man, great great player, Eli Apple was the kind of rabbit hat forty six snaps seventy six yards going against Eli Apple snap counts saw the offensive line go wire to wire. Dermam Smith played all but two snaps in the game. Two played every snap. Obviously, Tyreek a uptick in workload. Fifty four snaps was eighty six percent of the workload. Waddald got seventy three percent, the same as Raheem Moster, So Raheem right along with that seventy five percent workload. Alec up this week thirty eight snaps was sixty percent, and we saw a downtick because we saw plenty of two back personnel, lots of twelve personnel, lots of you know, Durham Smith out there in the game. So Barrios just thirty three percent. Creak Craft just twenty nine percent of the snaps in this game. Then Asukama played ten snaps and Devon h Chan got there for six snaps as well. On defense, Elliott Holland, Baker Coohu and x all played the entire game. Apple just missed four snaps in the game, and then Chubb and Van ginkle Man sixty seven and sixty five snaps respectively. Tip of the cap for their conditioning. David long Way more work this week, sixty two snaps, Wilkins a little bit of a downtick. He and Steiler played fifty two of the snaps that has more to do with the Dolphins structured defensively. Rakwe got thirty seven snaps and then Ogba just sixteen, a big reduction for him so far here through two games for the Miami Dolphins defense. So there you go. That's the podcast. No scan the social this week. I wanted to go in depth on the film breakdown because I enjoy doing it so much. But we'll come back on the show on Wednesday and get you a game preview Dolphins and Broncos. As we turn the page, are looking forward your Dolphins now two and zero. You'll love to see it. All right, That's gonna be my time you all. Please be sure to subscribe to the podcast on Apple Podcast, Leave us a rating, leave us a review. You can follow me on Twitter and Instagram at Winkfold NFL. Follow the team at Miami Dolphins. Check out the fish Tank Podcast with Seth and Juice, our YouTube channel for media availabilities, Dolphins a Day and so much more, and last, but not least Miami Dolphins dot Com until next time. Finns up Caroline Cameron, Daddy's coming.