Speaker 1: Welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hey you welcome to Stuff to Blow your Mind. My name is Robert Lamb.
Speaker 3: And I'm Joe McCormick, and we're back with part two in our series on Dust Now. In the last episode, we talked about how to define dust. We talked about the definition that came from a book that I've been reading by an author named Jay Owens, defining dust as tiny flying particles. We talked about our wonderful, beautiful, swarming invisible domestic companions, the dust mites, and we talked about atmospheric dust and its complex relationship to weather and climate. And hey, if you hear a little weirdness, little creak, little croak in my throat today that may very well be caused by dust.
Speaker 2: There you go. Yeah, So into day's episode, we're gonna we're gonna be talking about dust bunnies a bit here, but but not just dust bunnies. Just summoning the specter of the dust bunny is enough to diverge into topics concerning cosmic horror and and cosmic mysteries. So even though the dust bunny is pretty mundane and every day and you could probably find one in your home within five minutes if we requested it. Stick around because it's gonna go interesting places.
Speaker 3: I know, based on seeing some reactions to part one of this series, that there are some real dust haters in our audience, and so we may in fact here from listeners who say no, no, no dust bunnies in my house. They are there forbidden, and I do not allow a single one to form.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, that's it's a very Victorian mindset, as we'll discuss here, so I don't think I have to tell many of you what a dust bunny is, though, as we'll discuss the terminology, there seems to be more dominant terminology in different parts of the world, and I wasn't able to find like a really exhaustive list, so certainly I'm hoping to hear from listeners in other countries, in other language traditions that have different terms for what we're talking about here. These are vaguely animal shaped accumulations of dust that one tends to find in hard to dust places and corners of a home or other interior space. A frequent place you may find these is, of course, like under the bed, under and behind the dresser, places where dust can accumulate for extended periods of time without being noticed until you go in there looking for something, or going in for a more detailed dusting of the room, and you find something that has accumulated to the degree that it is kind of vaguely animal shaped.
Speaker 3: I must say that I find these accumulate with much greater frequency if you have a dog.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wow, yeah, I mean we have a cat. And that certainly helps too, you know, because, as we'll be discussing here, like, they are made out of the various things that make up dust in your home, and pet dand or pet hair is a large part of that if pets are present or even have been present in pat So I found that dust bunnies can be a deceptively difficult topic to research, as they often garner nothing more than just passing mention, even in books devoted to the topic of dust. I didn't look in all of them, but I didn't look in a couple of them. And yeah, even in books devoted entirely to topics of topic of dust, you might not find much about them. So I suspect that I'm not alone in turning up a few leads. But there is some information out there. These accumulations have been known by different names. Again, this is not an exhaustive list, so let us know what you have come to know them as. But in German tradition there are often referred to as wool mouse or as it means wool mouse, which I think is pretty good. You know, looks it actually looks more like a mouse than a rabbit, at least the ones I encounter.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's you know, you're more likely to find a mouse than a rabbit inside your home.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know, rabbits get rather big. Like when I look into the backyard to check in the garden and I see the prince with a thousand enemies back there, he's kind of a chonker. I would be rather concerned if I found a true rabbit sized dust bunny inside the house.
Speaker 3: Maybe you're supposed to think of baby bunnies or like just maybe just the bunny's tail, a little cottontail.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The other thing I was thinking is maybe it has to do with like multiple clumps, and you can be like, oh, it looks kind of like two ears and a body or something.
Speaker 3: That's right. So I think bunny kind of makes sense because dust bunnies can be floppy. They can be almost hinged in a way, if you know what I mean, Like one part of them will fold over and they'll flop around much like a rabbit's ears.
Speaker 2: Now for this next one from English tradition, I do want to warn everyone I am about to use a word that has since this antiquated usage of the term become more offensive. So you know, I don't skip a few seconds of you. They're young listeners present, you don't want to hear this word. And I also want to throw a warning out there to any automated like spider bots that are transcribing the podcast and then reporting back to Apple Podcasts with inside about what we're talking about. Please be advised antiquated use of the term here. So with all that set up. In English tradition, they are some They were sometimes known as sluts wool. This was an antiquated use of that term that meant an unclean or slovenly person.
Speaker 3: So it was an unclean or slovenly person's wool, meaning it it came from them like it was their wool and descended to the floor, or it was like meant for them like this is the wool they will use to dress in and heat their bodies.
Speaker 2: Uncertain, I guess it kind of. It also kind of seems like, Okay, if you were busy, you would have cleaned your home and you would have maybe produced actual wool. I don't know, it's just kind of I guess wool thought of as something that accumulates naturally in the context of sheep, I'm not sure. I've also read it referred to as Beggar's velvet, not to be confused with Beggar's velvet that was also a blend of cotton and linen. So you might find references to someone wearing a garment made of Beggar's velvet, but they're not using a garment made of dust bunnies.
Speaker 3: Wouldn't it be funny though, if dust bunny based fabrics became like the new hot item, Like, you know, you have silk, you've got I don't know, angora or something, and then you get the dust bunny.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna pass on that one, but I don't know if you use the next term for it, maybe because the next term is house moss, and this one I feel finally sounds a little less disparaging, you know, it sounds like just something that accumulates naturally and is therefore rather mundane. I mean, who has a vendetta against moss? And then finally you'll find other uses such as dust kitten. I couldn't find any information about this being anything. This might be a more recent development where we want to apply all things cat to things in our house, and therefore think of it as a dust kitten, which certainly does sound cuter.
Speaker 3: Well, a dust bunny is prey, a dust kitten is a predator.
Speaker 2: Dust bunny, however, does seem to be the main US English term for these accumulations of dust. As this is household dust. It's generally composed of the same household components that we discussed in the last episode, so things like dead skin, hair, pet dander, lint, pollen, and so forth. Dust mites may also reside within them, so I don't think it's anything you necessarily want to form into a garment. Not that I ever have any problem like touching the dust bunnies of only scooping up something behind a dresser that hasn't been moved in a while, but I also find that I regard it rather differently than when compared to dryer lint. Dryer lint always, to me, feels like a like a sacred and holy substance that must be removed from the machine. There's something kind of satisfying about removing dryer lint that, especially when it comes off in kind of like a clump or a patch, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when it comes out warm, Oh yeah, that really emphasizes the holiness of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it still goes straight in the trash.
Speaker 3: But you know, I gotta say, dust bunnies came to seem much more offensive to me. I mean that we used to just have them around the house all the time. I don't know if that's gross, but like, you know, you'd see them and be like, oh, yeah, there's one over there. Maybe I'll do something about it. Maybe not. When you've got a young child who's like mobile, crawling around on the floor and kind of putting whatever in their mouth, then there's a sudden urgency to actually do something about all these little critters piling up in the corners.
Speaker 2: Yes, and pile up they do. Now, when you look around for a detailed description on how dust bunnies form, I found that some of the best explanations are not really about explaining dust bunnies at all, but rather about using them as a means to better understand accumulations of cosmic dust and ultimately the formation of much larger bodies in space. Sources on this include Richard Cowen's book History of Life. I believe that's kind of like a long standing like science textbook, kind of a situation. Also Formation of Cosmic dust Bunnies, an article published in two thousand and seven in the IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science by Matthews at All. John Hermann brought together some of these sources for a twenty ten Gizmoto explainer, and there's also a two thousand and nine Esquire explainer. But everyone is pretty much circling around the same bundle of sources I find, but still an insightful bundle of sources. So, whether we're dealing with the formation of stars or the formation of that epic dust bunny under your bed, it comes down to the process of accretion. Now we've talked about this in the show before, at least in the cosmic sense. In the household sense, however, we'd be talking about a very weak static electrical charge bringing together only the very fine particles of dust, because you're not dealing with like a you know, a cosmic void scenario. This is happening under your bed. The rest of what's binding the dust bunny together, it comes seems to come down to entangled and matted fibers of the various components that make up the bunnies.
Speaker 3: Just based on my own observations, dust bunnies really do seem to me to have a large hair component compared to just the dust you'd find anywhere else in your house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think the hair is key. The hair gets tangled, hair gets matted in these contexts. It's why I also, if you're a cat owner and you're you know, on the lookout for things like hair balls, dust bunnies can also be instantly a little bit more alarming because you're like, Okay, what what's the classification of this thing I have found? They're like, Oh, it's just dust bunny. Nobody is to blame except maybe me. Now, that giz Moto explainer that I referenced earlier from Herman runs through basically all this, But I thought that he has had a really nice capper for the article, so I want to read a quote from it. There are other minor culprits like the cooking of fatty foods, which produces triglycerides that can attach to dust particles, making them stickier. All the causes, though, share one characteristic. They're subtle. It's either electrostatic forces that are nearly impossible to measure, or air flows that are impossible to feel, or fat deposits that are unavoidable and unnoticeable byproducts of preparing. Basically any delicious food actually make that two characteristics. Without dust, they can't exist, So get cleaning. This is a very I thought, very essential to note the airflow aspect of this, because I think that's another thing you can observe in your home. It's not only the places where dust isn't easily observed, but also sort of the corners where like sweeping doors and human traffic or pet traffic will sort of subtly push everything together as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the kind of tide pools of airflow in the home, places where things just get deposited and left there after the movement all around. Well, Rob, I want to go from the cozy and domestic context of dust bunnies back to something you mentioned a minute ago, which is the cosmic context because I came across a very intriguing and very cute hypothesis about the nature of a space object that we have talked about several times on the show before, and that is Omuamua.
Speaker 2: Ah Yes, our old friend of Muhamoa.
Speaker 3: So to briefly refresh, Omuamua is the name of a fast moving object in space that was discovered in October twenty seventeen through a ground based telescope and camera system called pan stars one at the Haleaka Law Observatory in Hawaii, and Omumua was big scientific news because it was the first example ever confirmed of a physical object from another star visiting our solar system, and scientists were able to say with high confidence that it came from outside our Solar system because of its speed and trajectory. So, your standard asteroid or comet will will orbit our Sun in a loop, and it might be a very elongated loop, or it might be at a kind of tilted angle, and its speed will tend to change as it goes around this irregular orbit. Maybe it'll get faster as it swings around the Sun and then slow down as it gets farther away from the Sun in that loop. But instead of orbiting our Sun in a loop, this object entered the Solar System going extremely fast angle nearly perpendicular to the orbital plane of the planets. So if you picture the planet circling the Sun on a basically flat disc, could this object hit the disc from the top and then had its path sharply bent around by the gravity of the Sun, and then continued on a course taking it straight back out of the Solar System forever. And the decisive factor showing that it was not from here and would not be returning was speed. It had what might be called a hyperbolic velocity, enough speed that its path around the Sun if you zoom out, was clearly not the tight end of an oval shape, but was closer to a V shaped corner in a linear path, in.
Speaker 2: Other words, just passing through.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So, Omuamua got people excited for a number of reasons. First of all, it was the very first of its kind. Nobody had ever confirmed an interstellar object in our vicinity before, though soon after its discovery we learned that it might not actually be all that rare, because another interstellar object called Borisov, a rogue comet this time, was spotted in August twenty nineteen, and there are other indications since then that this kind of thing might happen a lot. It's just that Omumua was the first one we happened to see it happened to catch now. Of course, one corner of the Internet got very excited because, of course some people thought it was aliens, right, this is an alien probe or a techno signature of some kind. We looked into these claims back in the day when people were first publicizing them, and our judgment was that, you know, there's nothing about Omumo that requires that conclusion, though it did have some very odd and interesting features that require some explanation. One of these features was its apparent shape. Omuamua seems to be shaped like almost nothing else we know of in our solar system, and to be clear, this shape is something we have to infer not able to resolve an image of Omumua's shape directly. It's not like we could zoom in close enough with a telescope to see it like these pictures of asteroids we get from like a probe that approaches really close, like the image we got of the asteroid Binu from the Osiris REX mission. You know that is a direct camera image that we could get because we were close. Omuamua is a point like source of light. It was far away and very small. But by analyzing what's called a light curve, which is the pattern of time based variations in the intensity of light reflected off of the object, scientists can put together a likely model or multiple likely models of its shape, and according to what I've read, the best models of its shape include either a sort of tumbling elongated cigar shape or a tumbling flat disc. NASA's overview of the object still leans toward the cigar shape, saying that it is probably about four hundred meters long and about ten times as long as it is wide, and there's still some variation in those estimates. Like other sources I've looked at the put the guess at it being more like two hundred meters long and having a slightly different length to with ratio. So there was a lot of speculation about what this object is. Is it we know it comes from outside the Solar System, but is it an interstellar asteroid? Is it a rogue comet from another star? Is it a shard of a planet that got smashed to pieces? What is it another strange feature of Muamua that seems to contribute to these the search for an explanation as to its nature is its seemingly anomalous acceleration. The object was caught going slightly faster and faster as it moved away from the Sun, which is characteristic of comets rather than asteroids. Comets, which have some rock and dust content but are also largely made of ice, can accelerate beyond the speed that would be predicted by gravity alone by outgassing. When they get close to the Sun. Comets heat up and the ice starts to melt. The ice and the volatiles melt and they shoot out into space, and this throwing of water and other volatiles into space gives the comet an equal and opposite propulsive nudge, increasing its speed. Omuama behaved basically as if it were receiving this kind of cometary speed boost as it was flying away from its closest brush with the Sun. But there's a problem. When comets melt and outgas like this, we can see it. They show a cometary tail, and Omuamua did not show a cometary tail, and so this, by the way, was one of the arguments of the people claiming that it was aliens, that this strange combination of observations showed that the object was an alien techno signature, basically a vehicle based on the principle of a solar sale. And we again, we looked at that claim in more depth years ago. Look up that episode to learn more if you want. But we sort of agreed with the skeptics that there's no reason to jump to the conclusion of aliens yet. Maybe it's just a natural object with some unusual features.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, it was an exciting question, to be sure, and it got the public interested. But is it the first question you should ask. Probably not, And again it seems like they are far better explanations for what this was.
Speaker 3: Right, So I'm about to get to one of those, actually a couple, but in any case, it's weird and intriguing. So it's an object that was from outside our solar system, speeding up like a comet, but showing none of the visible tale of gas and dust we would expect from a comet. And that brings us back to the topic at hand, the dust bunnies. One hypothesis that was put forward to explain the observed behavior of Umuamua was this, What if it's not really an asteroid or a comet in the way we know? What if it is a dust bunny from another star?
Speaker 2: Dust bunnies from outer space?
Speaker 3: Can your heart stand the shocking facts about dust bunnies from outer space? So I want to mention a paper called Omuamua as a cometary fractal aggregate the dust bunny model. This was published in the Astrophysical Journal Letters in twenty twenty by Jane x lu Irich Fleckoy and Renaud Tousson. In their abstract, the author's right, the first known intertellar object, Omuamua displayed such unusual properties that its origin remains a subject of much debate. We propose that Omuamua's properties could be explained as those of a fractal dust aggregate. Parentheses, a dust bunny formed in the inner coma of a fragmenting exo ort cloud comet. So this would be a comet coming from the sort of sphere of objects surrounding another star, like the Sun's ort cloud. The authors go on, such fragments could serve as accretion sites by accumulating dust particles, resulting in the formation of a fractal aggregate. The fractal aggregate eventually breaks off from the fragment due to hydrodynamic stress. With their low density and tenuously bound orbits. Most of these cometary fractal aggregates are then ejected into interstellar space by radiation pressure. So for some more explanation on this that would make better sense to a non specialist, I came across an article in Popular Science which included illuminating quotes from some of the authors of this paper. So this article is called Omuamua isn't aliens, but it may not be an asteroid either. This was by Charlie Wood So according to this article. In February twenty nineteen, a Space Telescope Science Institute astronomer named Amaya Moro Martin suggested that the explanation for Omuamua's weird acceleration was perhaps that it was unusually light weight, so less like an asteroid, less like a space rock, and more like a space feather, and this would make it possible for a natural object to function more like a light sale to be significantly sped up by radiation pressure from the sun. The sunlight giving it a push. Scientists investigating this idea referred to the model as a fractal aggregate. So aggregate, of course means you know, a collection of smaller things. In the words of the article, quote a fluffy conglomeration of dust and ice grains, And the fractal part of that name refers to a porous structure that repeats at different levels of resolution. So if you zoom in or zoom out, you would see similar patterns of holes and gaps in this structure. Irich Fleckoy, a physicist at the University of Oslo who was one of the authors of the dust Bunny paper, said to Popular Science for this article quote, I think if you hit this thing, it would be a little bit like hitting a spider web.
Speaker 2: Oh wow.
Speaker 3: So the paper had to answer several questions. First of all, would the fractal aggregate explain this object's movement and acceleration? The authors say yes. In fact, there was another weird fact about Omuamua that didn't come up earlier. Apparently there was a slowing of its rotation as it traveled, and the authors said that this fit well with the fact that solar radiation pressure can exert an uneven push on a rotating object with like some parts of an object getting more of a push from the solar radiation than others, so, for example, it pushes more on parts that are highly reflective. So it's possible that radiation pressure could help explain the change into Inomumua's tumbling or rotation pattern. If so, radiation pressure from the Sun could also be responsible for its acceleration. Another question is could a very very low density, porous fractal object like a dust bunny survive tumbling through space without being ripped apart. The authors model this and they conclude yes, it can, but the model does have challenges, and the Popular Science article quotes an astrophysicist at Cambridge named Roman Rafikov who points out that in order for the dust bunny model to work to have the right amount of acceleration due to radiation pressure, it would have to be amazingly low density, about one hundred times less dense than air at sea level on Earth, and Rafikov points out that this is even less dense than human engineered aerogels, which are pecifically created to be as low density as possible. So, Rafikov says in the article quote how do you reconstruct this in interstellar space? Like, how does something like that form? How does it stay intact? However, despite Rafikov's skepticism of what this model would require, he also said at the time of the article, at least in twenty nineteen, that he couldn't come up with a better explanation. But that doesn't mean there isn't one. So the dust bunny model I love it. It is a few years old now, and it's not the only proposal to reconcile umumu as weird acceleration with its lack of the normal features associated with commentary outgassing. For example, there was a paper I came across that was published in Nature last year in twenty twenty three by astronomers Jennifer Bergner and Darryl Seligman called acceleration of Umumua from radiolytically produced H two in H two O ice. And these authors put together a model that could explain the acceleration of omuumua without the normally visible cometary tale by saying that it is due to its unique life history, and because of this life history, it was simply venting a different kind of volatile than what you'd see in a normal local comet from our Solar System. So the authors say, quote here, we report that the acceleration of Omuumua is due to the release of entrapped molecular hydrogen that formed through energetic processing of an H two zero rich icy body. In this model, Omumoua began as an icy planetesimal that was irradiated at low temperatures by cosmic rays during its interstellar journey and experienced warming during its passage through the Solar System. So the idea is, this icy object is out in the interstellar medium between star systems for ages and ages, and the whole time it is just getting cooked. It is getting bombarded by cosmic radiation. This radiation splits apart the H two O molecules in the ice of this object and creates H two hydrogen gas trapped within the ice. Then when it gets close to the Sun, the ice melts a bit and releases this hydrogen gas, which provides the acceleration, but not the same kind of tail you would see from the regular venting of pure intact H two O and dust and in a regular comet. So just wanted to throw that out there, because there are multiple possible non aliens explanations. Maybe one day we will have a more conclusive model, but I think for now we still don't know for sure what this object was. I do kind of hope it was a dust bunny. But yeah, all interesting ideas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because ultimately, you know, is it a life elsewhere in the galaxy in the universe. We don't know for sure. We can't say one way or another. Is there dust? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Hell, yes, I.
Speaker 2: Think we can all agree there's dust. Now here's an interesting tie into the dust bunny that brings us back to terrestrial affairs but also into the world of invention and the history of science as science has been accepted by the general public. And this is where we're also eventually going to get into some cosmic horror as well, because one approach to dealing with the accumulation of dust in the home and the accumulation of dust bunnies would at least seem to be the elimination of the empty and wasted space in a room where they typically accumulate. So, in other words, think of it this way. Most of us tend to approach this by all right, we know where the dust accumulates. Let's go dust there let's go sweet there. But you might also think, well, what is this space in my house for the only thing it's good for is accumulating dust and dust bunnies. I should just seal that off.
Speaker 3: But wait, it isn't the point of having an interior space in your home that you can use that space. If you just seal space off, it's like you can't get to it.
Speaker 2: Well, these would be spaces that would be very difficult to utilize, such as not an entire corner of your house, but just that minute corner. This specifically one example, this would be the little corners at the edge of each stair in a stairwell. And this is particularly a place where we see.
Speaker 3: The that's the devil's playground exactly.
Speaker 2: This is where we see the application of the decorative dust corner. These were popular during the Victorian era, especially you know, during like the eighteen eighties, it seemed to be an era of popularity for these. These were little metal features sometimes described as an exploded triangle. I included some images here for you and anyone out there. If you want to see this, look up dust corner. You know, there's like a simb There's a Wikipedia page about them. The various images that there are historic examples, but then also some people are still producing these for you know, homes that want that kind of like older touch, that kind of Victorian touch. And so in this picture, Joe, you can see in the corner of the stairs, the little corner there is just capped off, so the dust cannot accumulate there.
Speaker 3: Right, So instead of the corner of the inside of a cube type shape, there is a smooth ascent, the little curved triangle goes right in there and just makes it a gentle slope.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And these were generally made out of metal, they were generally highly decorative. They would have been uniform, so whatever design you had, they would have been. This design would be on all of the little dust corners that you installed in your house. And you know, the interesting thing about them is, I feel like I've almost certainly toured places that still have these either original pieces or part of some sort of retro design aesthetic. But I don't remember ever having seen one before. Maybe they're just easy to miss. I'm not sure they're look familiar to me. Yeah, so I'm now I'm on the lookout for them. But I've at least thus far in my life. I feel like I've not been paying enough attention.
Speaker 3: They do look like something you would see in a historic home.
Speaker 2: Yes, and there does seem to be a science connection here, or at least a science history connection, according to Gail Caskie Winkler, author of Victorian interior decoration, cited in a May June two thousand and sixth edition of Old House Journal. The article here says quote even science affected stare hardware, with dust corners emerging in the eighteen eighties, probably in response to the growing acceptance of germ theory. Summarizes Gail Caskie Winkler.
Speaker 3: What dust corners and germ theory? That's I wouldn't have made that connection.
Speaker 2: Because of the dust. Yeah, so interesting. I was also reading about dust corners in an article by Will Wiles titled The Corner of Lovecraft and Ballard, about architectural details and the fiction of various authors. But as the title suggests, HP. Lovecraft, they lived eighteen ninety through nineteen thirty seven, and JG. Ballard, who live nineteen thirty through two thousand and nine. The Lovecraft connection, of course, would seem to line up with the timeline of dust corners in particular, but Wiles is in general describing the kind of architectural war on filth that rises with acceptance of germ theory, impacting various aspects of design, and then also like modernist thought and also weird fiction of the era.
Speaker 3: Okay, so that maybe there are certain architectural features that signal an evolving idea of what it means to because a lot of architecture in history has communicated an idea of being able to tame the natural world, to sort of like sub do nature and bring it under our control. And this is a space that we control. This is order, and this is human civilization inside this building with these right angles. But as the understanding of nature changes to include like smaller and smaller organisms, maybe that also signals a concurrent change in how architecture expresses that desire to dominate.
Speaker 2: Nature right right, especially on the home front, in the home. So it's not a situation where victorians were saying we have to install dust corners everywhere if we are to defeat plague or anything like that. No, no, but it was more like, okay, once this mindset has is becoming more and more popular and accepted, you know, your eyes turned to the house, and and oh, here is the dust, and where's the dust accumulating? What can be done architecturally stylistically to combat this enemy, So Wiles writes the following quote. Once the home was rid of moldings, fabrics, and chotsika's, the sanitary maniac suspicion fell on the dust harboring corner itself. In the eighteen eighties, the dust corner was introduced, a brass triangle that could be tacked at the meeting point of two walls and the floor, or the corners of a flight of stairs, so dirt couldn't gather and sweeping would be easier. But he of course points out that dust corners were a clumsy and imperfect solution in a modernist yearning for the true cornerless room, a term the cornerless room that became associated with breaks from reality, So the padded room of a sanitarium was sometimes referred to as a cornerless room, he writes, quote, in the literature of the first half of the twentieth century, there are references to the cornerless room as an ultimate convenience in a modern home. So it's suddenly it's like boat. We're kind of having it both ways. It's like this thing we're yearning for, but also this thing that is that it might be unnatural but also might be just the desired form of everything. And then the corner sometimes in some uses, becomes a gateway to cosmic horror and madness. One literary example that he draws on is a short story not by HP Lovecraft, but by one of his protegees, another author of the same time period that he was in communication with, a gentleman by the name of Frank A. Belknup Long, and the work in question is The Houlms of Tendalos. So this was a story that I was originally just going to reference, but then I found like a ninety nine cent collection of this author's work. I picked it up, I started reading. I haven't finished it yet as of this recording, but it's essentially one of these sort of gentleman's study kind of setups where you have two scholarly individuals. It is almost impossible for me not to picture them as being played by Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee, and one of them. This is like a ninth late nineteen thirty story, I believe, and the main character is like I have decided to take drugs and travel through time, and his friend is like, oh, I don't think you should do that, and he's like, no, I haven't all worked out, and he's like, okay, fine, I will. I will be here to help you into Yeah, that's the setup, but it eventually involves terrifying, vaguely hound like entities from another dimension that enter into our world through geometric corners. Here's the here's a quick line from it. Quote, The foul expresses itself through angles, the pure through curves. Man, the pure part of him is descended from a curve. So yeah, this idea that, like the angle is so unnatural that this becomes the nexus point through which these terrifying creatures can appear at any moment and hunt one down.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Wells also cites a book by Ellen Cleary, Victorian Dust Traps, which expands on this Victorian fear of dust, arguing that dust traps in the home, so you know, areas where dust accumulates became the new focal point for potential disease during this time. The quote primary locus of pollution anxiety within sanitary geographies of the Victorian home, which is I found a rather nice way of putting it.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's interesting because going back to what we talked about in the first episode, I actually don't know the extent to which, if any, there is a correlation between dust and say, the spread of infectious disease, Like it is there really any connection there between you know, tiny flying particles or the accumulation of dust in the house with the spreading of germs per se. But of course we do know that there is some correlation with dust and dust mites, which, as we talked about it in the last episode, are the number one source of allergic reactions in human beings worldwide.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and of course that allergic reaction has many things in common with some infectious diseases.
Speaker 2: But anyway, this is all interesting in this idea of it being like a focal point of cleanliness based on new information that may be feeding anxieties about the link between cleanliness and health, which of course is always a complex scenario in the human mind because you also have these other ideas of hygiene and spiritual cleanliness that get clogged up with everything else. But it reminds me a little bit of during the early days of the pandemic, in particular, when suddenly there's a lot more focus on, say, door knobs and the cleanliness of door knobs. That was something that not everyone was ignorant of prior, but it suddenly became a much bigger thing, and then.
Speaker 3: Front of mind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, front of mind. And then in the last couple of years it's been able to we've been able to push it further back. So I speaking for myself, I don't think as much about who's been touching the doorknob, certainly not like those early days of the pandemic. All right, well, we're going to go ahead and close it out there, but we'd love for everyone to write in. If you have a first and foremost more information about what you call a dust bunny, from whatever background you have, or whatever you've learned in your travels or your conversations, let us know. We'd love to hear from you. If you have additional thoughts on cosmic dust, cosmic horror corners, the hounds of tendlos, whatever you have right in, we'd love to hear it. Just a reminder that Stuff to Blow Your Mind is primarily a science and culture podcast, with core episodes on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Listener mail on Mondays a short form episode on Wednesdays and on Fridays, we set aside most serious concerns to just talk about a weird film on Weird House Cinema.
Speaker 3: Huge thanks as always to our excellent audio producer JJ Posway. If you would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or any other, to suggest a topic for the future, sure, or just to say hello, you can email us at contact Stuff to Blow your Mind dot com.
Speaker 1: Stuff to Blow Your Mind is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.