Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: M from the most trusted journalists. At Comedy Central, It's America's only source for news. Here's the Daily Show with your host, my Goel Costa.
Speaker 1: Welcome to another show. I'm Michael Cossa.
Speaker 3: Wow, hop croud.
Speaker 1: We've got some much to talk about to night. The had of Social.
Speaker 4: Security learns what social Security is, Tulca Gabber tries to turn terror threats into mussy TV, and racism joins the Mile High Club. So let's check in with the best cabinet ever in another installment of The Worst Wing, What.
Speaker 1: A Bunch of Losers.
Speaker 4: One of the most heartwarming stories at the Trump administration so far has been the beautiful friendship between Donald Trump and Elon Musk, two men who had previously never had a friend.
Speaker 1: But today that friendship got doged.
Speaker 5: You're gonna want to hear about this breaking moments ago Elon Musk speaking out in a big way on the Big Beautiful Bill. He took extra short time ago write in quote, I'm sorry, but I just can't stand it anymore. This massive, outrageous, pork filled congressional spending bill is a disgusting abomination, shame on those who voted for it.
Speaker 1: You know you did wrong.
Speaker 4: You know it, Jameson, Oh no, not my two favorite people fighting.
Speaker 1: Don't make me choose who I love more.
Speaker 4: But Yes is worried that Trump's bill will raise the deficit too high. And when Elon is worried about something getting too high, you know it's too high.
Speaker 1: And he may be right, but Elon has to be careful.
Speaker 4: You come out that hard against Trump's central legislative achievement, you're going to be the first white person to get deported. But while you're shaming supporters of this bill, be sure to save a little shame for yourself. Elon, you're the one who spent two hundred and eighty eight million dollars getting Trump elected. You even showed whole to support them. Now, granted the whole was a belly button, but still whole is whole. So let's move on whole as whole. Let's move on to the Federal Emergency Management Agency or FEMA.
Speaker 1: If you're nasty.
Speaker 4: FEMA is always ready to come to the rescue no matter what sort of disaster that megabitch Mother Nature throws at us, like wildfires, tornadoes, shark natos, horny dolphin natos.
Speaker 1: Those are the worst.
Speaker 4: But it turns out not everyone at FEMA is as prepared as they should be.
Speaker 6: FEMA staff were apparently caught off guard on Monday when the disaster agency's new acting leader told them that he was previously unaware that the US had a hurricane season.
Speaker 4: The head of FEMA doesn't know what hurricane season is. I would expect Trump to hire someone who's not qualified to handle hurricanes, but to not even know when they come. I mean it's almost like Trump picks his cabinet the way you select a jury.
Speaker 1: Do you have any opinions on hurricanes? Have you ever heard of hurricanes?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 1: Great, you're hired.
Speaker 4: This guy's the head of the Emergency Management Agency. He doesn't know about hurricane season. There's only like three emergencies in life you really need to know. There's hurricanes, wildfires, and when you're taking out the garbage and it starts dripping from the bottom of the bag. Only life's emergencies. But if that comment freaks you out, you're not alone. The administration had to come out and say, ah, psych I was joking.
Speaker 6: A spell twitch for the Department of Homeland Security tell CNN that the comment was made in jest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sure, it was a joke. It's a joke. You know.
Speaker 4: That reminds me of the time I as a joke shit my pants and it was so funny to do that on that airplane.
Speaker 1: Everyone was laughing and loving a.
Speaker 4: Let's say he was actually joking about being a total dumbass. That doesn't make it better. The head of FEMA is a serious job. I don't want my EMTs to be like, okay, you know, where do I push to make the heart beat again?
Speaker 1: Just kidding? I got it? Hey, wake up.
Speaker 4: So the head of FEMA is either an idiot who never heard of hurricane season or just an idiot. We may never know, but another new Trump and Pointe has been very clear about the fact that he has no no idea what he's doing. In a new audio recording, Social Security Commissioner Frank Bisignanu reveals that he had no idea what the job entailed when it was offered to him. It's about social security.
Speaker 7: There's Google and social security.
Speaker 4: You know, one of my great skills on my great googlers on the East Coast.
Speaker 7: Come on, what's a commissioner of Social Security?
Speaker 4: First of all, can you google how to clear your throat? I mean, I mean, how do you not know what the Commissioner of Social Security does? He's the one who you know, hands out the championship trophy at the end of the Social Security season.
Speaker 1: But yeah, you knew that. But don't worry.
Speaker 4: Don't worry because he's one of the great googlers. Now, not in the whole country, just the East coast, but that's still a big population area.
Speaker 1: It's pretty cool.
Speaker 4: That the guy who's in charge of a one point two trillion dollars agency is using the same tool I use to look up the name of the one black guy in Maroon five?
Speaker 1: What up page?
Speaker 4: Now at this point you might be asking yourself, does anyone in this cabinet even know what their job is? Well, based on what Education Secretary Linda McMahon has been up to, still know.
Speaker 3: Education Secretary Linda McMahon weighed in on Long Island's continuing mascot battle. She was in Massapequa yesterday. It's one of thirteen districts fighting to keep Native American school nicknames and mascots. The state says if the mascots are not changed by June, funds will be withheld, but McMahon says the band violates civil rights because names and mascots of other racial and ethnic groups are still allowed.
Speaker 6: We reserve the right to turn over this investigation to the Department of Justice, because that's how serious we are about there.
Speaker 4: Great use of your time, Education Secretary, China's schools are producing a mill engineers a minute. But it's okay because our students will know how to do the tomahawk chop.
Speaker 1: Look, we can't keep having.
Speaker 4: Endless disputes about Native American mascots, especially when every mascot in Philly is clearly addicted to cocaine. I mean, the fanatic. The fanatic is like perfectly designed anyways. Look, either we don't allow mascots at all anymore, or every mascot is an offensive ethnic stereotype.
Speaker 1: Including white people.
Speaker 4: How about that, you know, the drunken Irish, okay, the horny Italians, the emotionally unavailable British, that kind of thuff.
Speaker 1: The point is, when it comes to mascots.
Speaker 4: You can't make both liberals and conservatives happy unless all the Native American mascots are trans and then everybody gets something something. Now let's move on to Tulci Gabbert, Director of National intelligen and woman who gives snow White the poison apple and big.
Speaker 1: The audience loves. Tulci gabbers.
Speaker 4: She's in charge of the President's Daily Brief, which is where the intelligence agencies gather all the top secret information they need to go the president into a war with their ron. Excuse me, to defend our national interests. Of course, the problem with giving Donald Trump a PDB to read is that reading's not really a thing.
Speaker 8: From inauguration till the end of May, he had had, according to his public schedule, fourteen pdbs.
Speaker 1: Fourteen PDB since inauguration. What the hell? It's the daily Brief.
Speaker 4: Daily means you're supposed to get it every day, like we're the Daily Show and we're on the air four days a week.
Speaker 1: That's about. That's about exec that's about as president.
Speaker 4: Even President Biden had read ninety of them at this point, although to be fair it was really just forty five. They had to read them to him twice. But obviously the president not having a grasp of national security is a huge problem.
Speaker 1: But luckily Tausy Gabbett has a solution.
Speaker 9: Toulci Gabbard is considering bringing on a Fox News producer and a network personality to present the briefing, tailoring it to how the president actually prefers to consume information by watching Fox News.
Speaker 4: Look, I love how Trump's people are like, we gotta cut government spending, and also we need ten million dollars for a fake TV show because the president can't read. Now, obviously, converting the brief into a Fox News broadcast won't be easy. To make it realistic, you have to cast someone who's had sexual harassment allegations. Then you're going to need to find time for the three dozen ads for catheters. But still, at least Tulcy gabtt is thinking outside the box here, and finally we can get some Fox News people in the White House. Aside from the Secretary of Transportation and the Secretary of Defense and the borders, are the Deputy Director of the FBI, the Deputy Special Envoy for Middle East Peace, the Senior counsel to the Assistant Attorney General for Civil Rights, the US Attorney for the District of Columbia, the Ambassador to Greece. I missed my kid's birthday, but look, I'm glad that Tulci's trying something new although, knowing Donald Trump, there is one other format that might work better than imitating Fox News.
Speaker 10: Hello, miss a stepmom, I have an extra large package for you. Oh my, so big, almost as big as the recent rocket deployment in the Kashmiri region.
Speaker 1: Oh god, that's so dangerous. It couldn't mean war. No, seriously, people could die.
Speaker 11: We need to move assets out of the region and have a seal team on standby, ready to launch and encourage.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I'm about to launch an accursions so freaking deep.
Speaker 7: Let me get out of this hot robe.
Speaker 11: I think this area needs a little special attention. It's a real hot zone full of secretary and violence that threatens to explode without a meaningful peace process.
Speaker 10: That's not the only thing that's about to explode. Yeah, there's also reports of shahab too, short range holistic missions like this held by gorilla groups.
Speaker 7: Show me where there?
Speaker 1: Yes, about here?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 1: Right there?
Speaker 11: Yeah, right there, yes, Yes, we have reports of an ISIS sleeper.
Speaker 1: Cell in Dallas. Wait we're in Dallas.
Speaker 11: Oh no, I have to my hot steps on.
Speaker 4: Are weakme back if I know how to calm down White pass on planes the fall.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Daily Shows.
Speaker 4: Since taking office, President Trump has dismantled DEI because not only did it ruin the Little Mermaid, but it's been responsible for one hundred percent of all plane crashes.
Speaker 12: They want to put black women in the cockpit because they want to inspire more black women. Meanwhile, pay no attention to the planes plummeting towards the ocean or smashing into the runway, which is happening right now. If I see a black pilot, I'm going to be like, boy, I hope he's qualified.
Speaker 4: DEI diversity equity inclusion nonsense really should be called de die because lives are at risk.
Speaker 1: Or d.
Speaker 4: Or de for ADDY issues to the extreme, because.
Speaker 1: That's what I got Dad. If you see this, call me.
Speaker 4: But for those customers still nervous that diverse employees aren't qualified for the positions, a new service is here to ease their minds.
Speaker 13: Hey, Airlines, are your passengers uncomfortable with the look of your pilots EI, then you need White Flight, a revolutionary news service offering racial support pilots. Sign up and your diverse pilots will be given one of our white flight stand ins. Passengers will be reassured by a handsome Caucasian pilot with a penis. He'll give everyone peace of mind.
Speaker 1: Whoa a white pilot gave me a pig.
Speaker 13: When the flight begins, your white flight pilot will control his video game.
Speaker 1: Kick this out. I'm about to clear this level.
Speaker 13: Well, the actual pilots fly the plane.
Speaker 7: That's not easy.
Speaker 13: Need to make an announcement. Our special PA attachment will put your passengers at ease.
Speaker 1: Folks.
Speaker 7: This is your.
Speaker 12: Captain, Dirk Montana.
Speaker 13: We're dealing with some bumps here, but I just want to reassure you I can name all five members of the Dave Matthews Band.
Speaker 6: First off, we got Carter Bob, I'm drunk.
Speaker 1: We're going to be okay.
Speaker 13: Upon landing, your passengers will feel relaxed and grateful.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much for getting us here.
Speaker 12: Say it's been a privilege, a white privilege.
Speaker 13: White flight. Racial support pilots also available in Firefighter, Boat, Captain, and surgeon.
Speaker 1: Don't worry. I'm a professional and he's out. You're up. Good luck with all the blood and gut stuff. Dame this Parkile, join me on the show. That's all that. Welcome back to the show.
Speaker 4: My guest tonight is a three time w NBA champion, a two time Olympic gold medalist, and sports commentator. Her new book is called The Can Do Mindset. Please welcome, Candace Parker.
Speaker 1: Don't you love hearing your stats?
Speaker 4: Don't you love that three time WNBA NCAA Champion League MVP? I mean, how much of that is the can do mindset? How much of that is just you're really good at basketball?
Speaker 8: Well, I'm grateful for my parents and instill in that mindset in me. But sometimes I have to tell people when they're like, man, can you believe you played basketball? I was like, well, I am six foot four, so.
Speaker 7: I was like, I think that had a little bit to do with it.
Speaker 8: But it's definitely where I come from, the mindset instilled in me as a kid. And I grew up with two older brothers that I idolize more than anything even now. So I'm just super grateful for that.
Speaker 4: You know, one of your nicknames growing up was can do? That sets you up for success? People used to call me Michael Pasta. What is that set me up?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 8: I have to give a nod to my mom. It's her birthday today, actually.
Speaker 13: Happy mom.
Speaker 8: And it's crazy growing up Candace Short can you know whatever, and then my mom extended it to can do because she saw, you know, sometimes I looked at the shadows of my brothers and was like a little bit overwhelmed. My older brothers of a professional NBA basketball player, played ten years, actually played with somebody you might know, Lebron James for a couple of years. And then my middle brother, he's like the black sheep of the family.
Speaker 7: He's a doctor.
Speaker 8: So I grew up with two older brothers that just from a very.
Speaker 7: Early age knew they wanted to be great.
Speaker 8: And so my mom would say, can do became my mantra, and it became something whether I was hitting big free throws or whether I was trying to ace a test, whatever it was, and so it just became something I would tell myself. And then in writing this book, it became an acronym community, authenticity, negativity, the dash, which is the journey and you know, seizing opportunity and creating it.
Speaker 1: I love this.
Speaker 4: I am glad you mentioned your siblings. I the youngest of four. My siblings are just such a foundational part.
Speaker 1: Of my life.
Speaker 4: And hearing you talk about why your older brothers have success in their mindset, I think more should be discussed about how important siblings are and that.
Speaker 1: Relationship with siblings can mean so much.
Speaker 4: And I assume they're still in your life and you're still supporting each other with the same level of enthusiasm.
Speaker 8: You know what's crazy is our family we grew up just supporting one another. And you know, being the youngest, like you have to fight for everything. I mean, like the last chicken wing on the table, you're fighting for whatever it was.
Speaker 7: But I wanted to be just like them.
Speaker 8: And as a little girl, I'm grateful for my parents not shrinking me because I was a girl, not telling me I couldn't do things because I was a girl, and as a result, I mean sometimes I tell the story in the book about how I was three. I went to the park. My brothers took their shirts off, and I took my shirt off.
Speaker 7: My dad was like my dad was like, you can't do that, and I was like, but it's can't.
Speaker 8: Do like I I can't do that, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 4: You know, my brother would kick the shit out of me, but that if someone else said something negative about me, exactly, it was on And I still think about that even though I can kick his ass.
Speaker 7: Right you got the mic too.
Speaker 1: I got the I got the mic. You played in the WNBA for sixteen seasons. That's a lot you finished up last year.
Speaker 7: Long time, yeah, a long time.
Speaker 4: You know you're honest in this book, which I love. There's a lot of humor in this book as well. But one of the things that as a as a tennis player an enthusiast, hearing you talk about playing in the WNBA early on and it was sponsored by Holliday and Express and you're staying in Holiday and Expresses, and you're some of the games are being played in almost high school like gyms.
Speaker 1: It reminded me of Billy Jean King.
Speaker 4: And how much she fought for almost no money at the time, sacrificed her athletic ability and efforts. But now the women are getting huge money. Now it's not as necessar as much as the men. But how can we celebrate how far the WNBA has come and also still be eager to grow it.
Speaker 8: It's so interesting when I think society sometimes like limits growth, and for a long time we looked at women's sports as like a charity and it's not. And I think now people are seeing it as a business and as a result of the pioneers like the Billy Jean Kings and the Cheryl Millers and all of them. And so for me to look at the WNBA today, I think it's the game has grown, for sure, the players have become more skilled and it's more of a positionless basketball. But honestly, it's a visibility like now you can find it. You know the players, you identify with them, you root against your rival. Like I grew up a Bulls fan. I didn't like the Pistons because we didn't like them. That's just what it was, you know. And so I think now when you establish that you're able to fall in love with the stories, then that's where real growth happens.
Speaker 7: And we're seeing that in the WNBA now.
Speaker 4: Caitlin Clark, I think we looked it up today, is making seventy eight thousand dollars a year, which is insane because they're literally moving games to bigger venues because she's selling so many tickets.
Speaker 7: And that's up for my rookie years. Just up right, I see is that growth for my rookieyears.
Speaker 4: To tell you, in a few years when she's on the free market, that's going to be a huge contract. Are we gonna is the WNBA? Is it about to take off even more?
Speaker 8: I'll say this in five years, I truly believe. I'll say five to ten, I think there will be a WNBA franchise that will be worth a billion dollars.
Speaker 1: I love that. That's great.
Speaker 4: You used to have to go play overseas to make more money. That's a very common endeavor that all players would have to do, or it was.
Speaker 8: Now because of leagues like unrivaled, players are able to stay home. But I played six years in Russia, I played two years in China, and I played one year in Turkey. I mean my daughter, I had my daughter when I was twenty three years old, so we've kind of grown up together. And with that being said, the world has been her playground. So she went to school in Russia.
Speaker 1: I mean our Russian's huge basketball fans.
Speaker 8: I mean, what's crazy is the number one club over there. I mean we had chefs, we had drivers, we had we flew private we had I mean, these diamonds are from Russia.
Speaker 1: There we go.
Speaker 7: But it's one of those things.
Speaker 8: It's one of those things where basketball over there is a big deal, and you know they were able to kind of drive the game forward because they were able to pay the type of contracts that I think the players deserved.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think enough.
Speaker 4: I'm really thankful in the book you have a lot of pictures of you in a cast, yes, and you also have this great head to toe picture of and a listing of all your different injuries, including total foot reconstructive surgery. I don't think enough people watching at home as we eat potato chips, watching our athlete and criticizing them to understand the physical toll that our bodies take. Excuse me, real professional athletes body stead. The reason I was about to say it was you talk about how your kids know that mommy has bad knees.
Speaker 1: Yes, and my daughters know that my back is bad. But I don't have a gold medal to point too.
Speaker 4: Talk a little bit about the physical toll and how are we doing now?
Speaker 7: Oh my goodness. Yeah.
Speaker 8: Ten knee surgeries, two foot surgeries, one shoulder surgery.
Speaker 7: So I've had my fair share of injuries.
Speaker 8: And I'll say this, I think the toll it takes to play at a high level.
Speaker 7: I always look at.
Speaker 8: The years, but really, to me, it's the mileage, right, And I think. You know, every athlete knows that feeling of getting out of the bed mid season. And to be honest with you, the reason why I retired. I was going to try to come and come back and play a seventeenth year. But the reason I retired was just because it was I was like activating to activate, you know, like you wake up and you're like, okay, I gotta get out of bed, I gotta stretch. Okay, then I gotta go to practice, but you got to activate to then do the pre practice and the cold tubs and things like that.
Speaker 7: And so it just got to be too much.
Speaker 8: And so my kids now will look at my scars, and you know, my daughter remembers, but my sons don't remember, and so they know Mommy's bad. You know, got a bad back and can't do the swings at the park. But you know, overall, I'm you know, I'm healthy, and I keep trying to stay active.
Speaker 4: As an athlete at your level for so many years. You know, the public cares, the public sees your results. You win, you lose, It's on the ticker down below. But that's gone. Now, that's done now, And now, you know, is it hard to transition to nobody gives a shit about what you're.
Speaker 1: Doing day to day.
Speaker 8: True, Here's what I will say. I've had some amazing role models. I really would challenge anyone to love the game of basketball more than me. I think that I grew up in a city and I say that, and I evolved as a basketball player in Los Angeles. Seeing Kobe Bryant play, I think he might rival me in somebody that loved basketball more than me. And to watch him seamlessly transition into being an author, and you know, the time that he spent with his family, I think not only did he inspire me on the court and what he did between in between the lines, but off the court and how I wanted to kind of plan for the transition, because it really is like athletes die twice, it really is.
Speaker 4: But I mean you you, your competitiveness is unparalleled.
Speaker 8: It like now it's Domino's Like, I'm like, you bring it all the way back?
Speaker 7: Are you?
Speaker 1: Are you like dunking on your kids?
Speaker 8: Listen, I'm like smacking their shot.
Speaker 7: There's no easy layups.
Speaker 8: I'm like, I'm crazy on the peloton, like crazy on the peloton and pedals By almost.
Speaker 7: Got me the other day she did not get me.
Speaker 8: So it's just anything I can find competition in. I think my wife and kids are sick of me because it's like you want to play Domino's, you want to play spades, Like what are we doing?
Speaker 1: You want to They're a competitive void there.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I really need to sell that.
Speaker 4: Tom Brady retired for two weeks. He was a parent for two weeks, and he was.
Speaker 1: Like, I gotta go back to learn. Look.
Speaker 4: You you write beautifully about coaches in here, in particular your coach at Tennessee Pat Summit, And I would love if the rest of us can steal from you, or even steal from her, something that you could share with us that would help us all, something.
Speaker 1: That she instilled in you.
Speaker 4: And also not just Pat Summit, because there's there's other coaches and athletes lives that aren't just winning national championship. But please share your wisdom of all the coaches that you've worked with.
Speaker 8: Coach Summit was not only a coach, she was an educator and she was a leader of women. And I say that in I think we grew up. My family grew up. I'm with my parents always saying that bosses push and leaders pull. Leaders get to where they want their team to go, and they take them there. And Coach Summit never asked of us what she wouldn't do herself, and so I'm super grateful, even though she's passed on, to still be learning lessons from her. And it comes to life in everything I do, whether I'm parenting, whether I'm being a teammate.
Speaker 7: Working on television, whatever it is, it comes out how is a parent well as a parent? You know, we like to kids.
Speaker 1: Run suicides, but it doesn't seem to change their behavior.
Speaker 7: As a parent.
Speaker 8: We like to say a lot of things, but I really think they're watching, and so a role model really doesn't just it's not do as I say, it's do as I do. And so my daughter has allowed me the opportunity to look in the mirror and really, you know, have to hold true to some of the things I say, and Coach Summit was the best at that. I think it's what you do and how you honor someone. My youngest son is named after her. It's Heart Summit after Coach, And you know, my goal is to continue to keep her legacy alive because she was one of the greatest coaches male or female that has ever lived.
Speaker 1: I love the way you wrote about her.
Speaker 4: I heard in a different interview you did that one of the one of the things that you mentioned about Pat Summo was making eye contact. And it is wild that we have to learn that and instill that because man, some of the kids you talk to today it's you know, it's and I was like, Wow, that is some real ship right there. And I want to just say during this interview, we've had really strong iconry.
Speaker 1: I've done a great job.
Speaker 8: That is something that Coach Somemmer would be very proud of. But listen, if you didn't stare at her crystal blue eyes, you were running suicides. So I learned to look her in That fear.
Speaker 4: Is an important one. Thank you very much for coming. The can do mindset is available. Candy things, but right right back after day, you're the best week that's ourself with that before we go, are you not seeing yourself represented in your local government and take matters into your own hands and be the leader that you've been waiting for. Go to the link below to learn more from our friends at headcount about running for office.
Speaker 1: Now Here it is your moment of zen.
Speaker 5: Does the White House have a reaction to the results of the election.
Speaker 7: Yes, we do. In fact, let me find it here, for you should be somewhere. I'm here than you we do not.
Speaker 2: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcast.
Speaker 1: Watch The Daily Show weeknights atle.
Speaker 2: Tenth Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount
Speaker 13: Plus Paramount Podcasts.