Speaker 1: You need one first down. You don't have mccaffre, you don't have Mitchell, you don't have J. P. Mason. We like I can he do it? Hand off to Garndo off the right side.
Speaker 2: He runs for a first down and he's gonna score.
Speaker 1: He should go down, but he ventures first first touched out of the NFL. Corendo ten four hold down on a one yard line.
Speaker 2: Perfect. The game is over. We've got a new clue.
Speaker 3: For Marry Isaac Garndo, the closer on Thursday Night Football gets the deal done for the San Francisco forty nineers. What's up everybody?
Speaker 1: Look?
Speaker 3: On NFL Daily TNF Recap edition, Patrick claibone here in the garage looking at a swelt in a much more comfortable looking Nick Schook as we had a comfortable and fun game for a while in Seattle.
Speaker 4: Nick, Yeah, it looks like we were cruising towing to blow out and then the Seahawks decided to wake up right when the Niners. You know, they just went back to what they did the week before, which has led a team back into a game. But fortunately for Niners, fans spent all weeks stressing about how can our team figure out how to close games. They found a way, and they did it in a number of different ways, including going to George Kittle, and then, as you just heard leaning on the run game when they needed to bleed clock, Isaac Garrendo coming through in a big spot with Jordan Mason's sidelined with a shoulder injury, and the Niners move back to five hundred in a big, big way.
Speaker 2: A huge way.
Speaker 3: Ultimately, you heard there on the call from KNBR. They lose Jordan Mason in the game. He's got an injured shoulder. He's in and out of the game. There are a couple of times where it's like, all right, Jordan Mason's back.
Speaker 2: He actually had a.
Speaker 3: Nine yard run. Then he's back to the sideline. A second half where Seattle has so many opportunities, Nick, and that's going to be my big takeaway from the game, not just the second half. The end of the first half. There were two attempts in the back of the end zone, one where DK Metcalf got Kevin duranted. Also Isaiah likelyad right where he's about an inch. You know that size fourteen shoe if it's a size twelve, Yeah, where's a twelve go in and it's a totally different type of situation. Not you know, momentum, that's not important getting the points right.
Speaker 2: What's actually important.
Speaker 3: You get the points going into the half, and then you can come out and you're in a better position. They were just playing from behind after that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, it was a struggle for them.
Speaker 4: You know, they go to halftime down sixteen to three, they give up a touchdown to go down twenty three to three, and Loomenfield's pretty quiet, you know, the Twelves silence, sitting on their hands, and for good reason, their offense had really shown any reason to be excited about this game. It was very lopsided, one dimensional all night. For the second straight week. The running game was a non factor. Genos Smith ends up throwing fifty two passes. But they find some life by going up tempo, which is really where they're at their best. It's not really a reliable strategy in the NFL. It's more of a collegiate thing than an NFL thing. But out of desperation, they start speeding up the offense and before you know it, they're moving the football down the field and next thing you know, it's twenty three to ten. Because Leviska Chenault responds to a George Kittle touchdown by taking it ninety seven yards through the dynamic kickoff for a touchdown. Then they come back and score another touchdown on thirteen played ninety four yard drive that only took five and a half minutes.
Speaker 2: That's kind of speaking to the up tempo.
Speaker 4: And suddenly it's twenty three to seventeen and they got a legit shot. But the problem was was the same thing that showed up early in the game. Geno Smith, when being asked to do so much, throws a crucial interception that kills their comeback hopes and from there they're just fighting their way back and they can never catch up.
Speaker 3: And you could see Geno's frustration on the sideline after the play. In Kirk Kerbstreet, you know who was Kirk was very critical of DK throughout the game. I think the criticism of dk Metcalf on that play was a little bit more legit because he's running the dig on the backside and Rinaldo Green is clearly behind him. If you look at the angle from behind Geno Smith, all you see is gigantic DK Metcalf with nothing in between him and Gino and he appears to be open, but he's drifting back. And it's this type of thing where you celebrated earlier in the season, right where they're making a late read deep in the secondary that DK turns upfield and goes for a touchdown. Here he's starting to leak back and it's the other side of the coin there where if he's fading away and the defender still tracing across the field, it winds up being a pass directly to Ronardo Green.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he opens it up, he opens up for the undercut, and he makes a great play and picks it off and before you know it, you know, the Seahawks have all the momentum. Whether it matters or not, it's in their favor and then next thing you know, they've turned the ball over and the forty nine ers capitalize. And I have to say this because this has been a big issue with them this season and really in Kyle Shanahan's entire coaching career, is establishing leads and then failing to figure out how to put games away because of that pick. They then turn that into points and it goes from twenty three to seventeen to twenty nine to seventeen, Kittle gets another touchdown pass his second of the game, his second on third down in a goal to go situation, and then how's he celebrate? He finds his wife and Kyle Huescheck's wife in a suite right along the field level there, and they go jump into the stands to celebrate with their wives. And that was great, right, But for the Seahawks, disaster catastrophe because they had fought so hard to get back into the game and the same mistake that hurt them early hurts them again. And I hate to put it on Gino because he's going to obviously take all the flak, and it wasn't earned interception, but it's more of two guys not being on the same page, which was the story of the night for DK Metcalf. He finishes with eleven targets. He had three catches, three catches on eleven targets. He was visibly frustrated in the first half. The sideline report for Kee Hartsung was I don't need to hear the pep talks. I just want to go make plays. You see that face right there if you're watching on YouTube.
Speaker 2: He's mad.
Speaker 4: They're down thirteen nothing. He can't get anything going because the Niners are playing good coverage, but also the opportunities just aren't there. He did find a way to make a play late in the game, and even that one was called back by a penalty. So a really frustrating night for DK where he probably felt like he had some opportunities and ultimately couldn't deliver.
Speaker 3: There is a universe out there somewhere where this is a seven catch for one hundred and seventy six yard and two touchdown game for DK Metcalf, Like it's very easy. You don't have to change too much. The play you're mentioning. Kenny Walker for some reason was bouncing up and down after going out rod. He never got set and so it was I legal shift on a play where that provided no advantage, Like, there's no advantage. It's not that he was, you know, doing some cheap motion and he's moving towards the line of scrimmage. He's literally bouncing up and down instead of getting set. It wipes off a DK touchdown. The aforementioned would be touchdown before the end of the first half, where it's it's stated and it's on record. In this divisional rivalry, the forty nine or secondary's methodology is to be annoying to DK Metcalf, to try to get in his head. But aside from the circumstances going the other way, they also, as you mentioned, play very good defense on DK. This isn't like some new thing. This is a trend that's continued. It hasn't you know, the rookie Ronardo Green, you know, this is first time doing this, but it's consistent. I think team wise, player wise, specifically, they know specifically what they need to do to deal with the Kaelin Metcalf, and it just.
Speaker 4: Shows what it is is force a lot of tight windows. And Gino, to his credit, tried to force passes in there, and he actually got a lot of them on target. It's just that the window was so small that the likelihood of a catch was very low. There was one play in the first half I think it was a third down attempt where he's blanketed. I mean he's covered by like two or three nine ers and the ball hits him in the hands, but he's also got a dB holding him around the waist.
Speaker 2: He's going looking for the flag.
Speaker 4: They don't get the flag because there's just so much traffic there to begin with. That was kind of the story for the night for them. And because they're so on one dimensional right now. If DK is not going well, then all right, let's go to Tyler Locket, Let's go to Jackson Smith and Jig. But but those are supplementary receivers in this offense. DK is the focal point. If he's going, then your offense is going to go. Earlier in the season, you know, they go play in New England, he has a long touchdown catch. It seemed like he was just a week by week thing where there will be one long DK touchdown reception per week. You could bank on it, fantasy owners. It was gonna happen. Sunrise of sunsets. DK gets loose for sixty five seventy yard touchdown catch. That has not been the case in the last two weeks, and that definitely wasn't the case on Thursday.
Speaker 2: Night even when he did, which, by the way, that.
Speaker 4: Throw by Gino was a phenomenal play where he's under pressure and he sees DK behind coverage and puts it over the top perfectly for him to catch, and you think, oh, they're back in it, and then.
Speaker 2: It's wiped out. By the penalty.
Speaker 4: It's it's a tough spot for the Seahawks right now, because you know, we saw them go play against Detroit a couple weeks ago and put up a ton of points and fall short. You know they're capable of that, but they're only capable of that when they have a balanced offense and without this running game, which has been just very uninspired to me in the last couple of weeks. It was again tonight. You're just asking too much of Geno Smith. Not that he's not able.
Speaker 2: To do it. It's just it's a lot to ask of any quarterback in the NFL, and not.
Speaker 3: Just the offensive circumstance, over on the defense as well. Where you seen now in games you had Daniel Jones in terms of adjusted yards per attempt. One of the best ten games of Daniel Jones's entire career comes against Seattle. You literally saw Jared Goff not miss once. And here we are tonight where you've you've got Jordan Mason out, you need a stop, You've got three timeouts with under a minute thirty to go, and Isaac Guerrero is running down the sideline choosing not to score a touchdown. It's there's the margins are very very slim for this team, and as you mentioned, right with Eugene Cyril being back there and getting the line's share of attention and the way we approach quarterbacking, there's a lot going on in Seattle that you know, is having to deal with.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it's probably pretty startling to Seehawks fans who thought when they hired Mike McDonald their defensive issues would be fixed.
Speaker 2: But it was a personnel thing.
Speaker 4: And they tried to address in the off season and they've been pretty banged up, but they didn't get some guys back tonight that I didn't that were questionable to play Boy Mafe Julian Love being two of them.
Speaker 2: I wonder why on the touchdown passed.
Speaker 4: The Deebo Samuel early in the game, where Love fails to close in from the top, why Mafe isn't coverage there, you know, like that's a guy that's a good pass rusher, right get after the quarterback harassed Brock Purty, who did a great job of navigating the pocket, kind of dancing around early in the game. A little unorthodox from him, but like lean on your strength. We know the against the run that's just not their strength. It is really disheartening to see them give up a long run at the end of the game, to make that long effort to just score a touchdown to get within one possession, and then instantly it's wiped away by a long Garendo run. That's really hardening. That's a bummer. You hope it gets better when you get some of those guys back, But where they are right now, you see their weaknesses and it's a struggle for them to win games. And now they're three and three, they're in an NFC West that's very much for the taking with the Niners at three and three as well. But this is a turning point potentially for a team because you look at it and you go, well, we still can't stop the run.
Speaker 2: We have to get better at that.
Speaker 4: If we don't get better at that, then teams are going to know how to beat us, and we're gonna have a hard time. We're gonna have to ask Gino to throw fifty passes a game as it stands right now, and that makes for a tough outlook for the next month or so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the forty nine ers make it tougher. I don't want to make it all Yeah.
Speaker 3: See, there was a nice win, especially considering the way things ended with the Kaiser White interception against the Arizona Cardinals last week where Brock comes back. He's eighteen of twenty eight two to fifty five three touchdowns. Two of those one was a probably the throw of brock Perty's year down the sideline, it to the corner of the end zone to George Kittle, had Kittle with another one and then the one where Deebo does all the work. Yeah, and I know the party yak conspiracy people are going to pounce on that one and be.
Speaker 2: Like, see, see, it's all a myth.
Speaker 3: But like that was the first huge yact play of the forty nine Ers season where Brock didn't have to do a lot. So, yeah, everybody's gonna get one of those.
Speaker 2: Occasionally.
Speaker 3: The Seahawks, I'll approach this delicately, might have gotten one. On the night there was a punt by Mitch Wesnowski that went to d Williams. His teammate Devin Wilderspoon pushed the gunner into him and so it appeared on replay, which Terry McCauley pointed out on the broadcast that detouched that ball. Then he got note from the folks in New York that they did not have the angle that we were able to get after the fact, and so, yeah, the Seahawks even had another opportunity there that they couldn't take advantage of.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, we're still in the early ages of the replay center and replay assists. It is interesting that they didn't like at the angle that a lot of people saw on Amazon. But all they catch a break, right, and that happens in football games. One team will catch a break here and there. How do you capitalize? They didn't capitalize on that, so it didn't really end up mattering all that much. But in the moment, of course, you're like, whoa, how did you miss that?
Speaker 1: You know, the.
Speaker 4: Seahawks are a sloppy team, and that's a play that happens across football at all levels. I'm not saying that that alone was sloppy. Devin Witherspoon's trying to block a guy, they.
Speaker 2: Run into the returner. It happens. It happens more than you think it does.
Speaker 4: But I also look at the numbers in this game and just trying to justify what I saw with my eyes nine Pembleys for sixty nine yards. We talked about the one that wiped out the DT touchdown catch, but there's false starts, there's all kinds of issues on both sides of the ball that just get in the way where the operation just was not clean. And credits to the forty nine ers, because again, we don't want to make this all about negative Seahawks talk. They did the good job of capitalizing and really finishing this game. I mean, I know we've talked about a little bit already, but this is a team that blew a game against the Cardinals last week.
Speaker 2: I mean, they were reeling after that.
Speaker 4: People are questioning Kyle Shanahan and yeah, he's thirty eight and o going into that situation where he's up by ten points to the fourth quarter and they lose that game.
Speaker 2: So he's got that track record.
Speaker 4: But at the same time, we also know some of the games that he's lost in situations where he's held leads this tonight on the road in a tough environment, when the other team fights their way back in the game. This has to be a feather in their cap that Look, you know what, we can finish games. We can finish games when we don't have Jordan Mason, when Deebo Samuel might get a little dinged up again, as it seems he does every week when you know things aren't necessarily going right for us. We have enough talent and enough moxie to overcome that and finish it off in the most traditional way possible, which is a fullback rushing touchdown.
Speaker 3: In fact, let's go ahead. Let's go ahead and listen to the call of Juice getting in the end zone and going to greet his significant other.
Speaker 1: Pretty under center, hughes check goes into an eye and he's down on the three point stance, a true eye ahead of Grendo. Devo comes in motion, laps they give it on fullback forced years Jack touchdown, ju.
Speaker 3: Juice and so a nice moment for the Juice to the yust Zech family. But now that I'm thinking about it, because Isaac Guerrero kind of slowed up to burn clock there, he should have just gone ahead and punched that thing in there.
Speaker 2: I knew that was going to be discourse. I knew that was gonna be the complaint online. Why not get Grenda's first touchdown? He just sacrificed to run clock give him the ball. But then again, there's this big brand Kyle Shanahan. What am I going to do on the goal line.
Speaker 4: They're expecting to me to give it to Girndo. Let's give it to the fullback and catch him by surprise and it works to perfection.
Speaker 3: It's just a it's a it's a funny. We've come a long way with Kyle Shanahan calling plays. I'm thinking about last year where he's absolutely force feeding at CMC to keep the streak alive in a game that was deep, deep into garbage time. You never know what's coming. And you mentioned blowing leeds late.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: The stat, the regular season stat is one thing. They've done it a couple of times in the big game in the Super Bowl against the Kansas City Chiefs, who they have coming up next on October twentieth, looking forward to that when the you know, the Thursday night game gives them a little bit of the break. And now after losing three straight shook, it's it's the Falcons up next for the Seahawks, who are kind of reeling right now going up against the team that's you know, not doing it on the score, but vibes wise, the Falcons are hot right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean they're hot. They figured out how to put up points in the last couple of weeks. Kirk Cousin threw forever five hundred yards recently, like they're starting to unlock that offense.
Speaker 2: And I'm looking at the Seahawks last three games.
Speaker 4: You lose forty two to twenty nine, twenty nine to twenty, and thirty six to twenty four. So we no, you're gonna end up in that like twenty to thirty range of points. But is that going to be enough with this defense the way it is right now, that's the big question. I'm not sure. And then right if that you get Buffalo, which they have their own issues to sort out after a nine for thirty performance by Josh Allen in Houston last weekend. But that's a tough couple of game stretch and suddenly you could go from three to two to three and five and on this long losing streak and it's crisis mode in Seattle. So they got to get back on the horse and find a way to win before long.
Speaker 3: It's a it's getting early, it's getting late early. It's as we roll through this twenty twenty four NFL season. That's the Thursday Night Football recap. Nick shook any final thoughts before we say go.
Speaker 4: I to the people, man, it was a great game. I thought it was going to be a boring game, and I was glad we got entertained. But my heart's also with my baseball team. Cleveland Guardians come back and beat the Detroit Tigers five to FID to force a game five. I know this is a football podcast, but Art go Guards, baby, I knew it.
Speaker 3: We love baseball. We love you guys. We'll see you next time on NFL Daily