Speaker 1: What kind of a show you guys putting.
Speaker 2: On here today?
Speaker 1: You're not interested in armed now? No, look, we're going to do this thing.
Speaker 2: We're going to have a conversation.
Speaker 3: Hey, film spotters Adam and Josh here. We wrapped up our sixth film Dissident Cinema Marathon last week. That was our conversation about The Circle and Adam, I think it was clear during that conversation and from all our previous discussions, we've not had a dune in the bunch. This has been a really great marathon.
Speaker 4: That is absolutely true. I think we both were very high on all six films. Would recommend that people see all six of those films if they have not had a chance to follow along with this marathon. Turns out, after our conversation about the Circle and the ending, the mysteries of the ending, the ambiguities of Jafar Panahi, he tricked us. There there's an alternate reading that probably is the accurate alternate reading. We'll link to that in our show notes if you are curious. The Dissident Cinema Marathon is dedicated to films that depict or openly confront fascism in various forums, I'm going to save the reading of the titles, Josh, because I'm going to get to them when we get to our first awards category here in a moment. But I will remind our listeners that you can always find the full lineup for any marathon at film spotting dot net slash marathons, or just go to the main page and click on marathons right there at the top. That is where you can find all of them we have done. I think this is either number fifty one or fifty two. They're all about eliminating our cinematic blind spots. You had. All six of these were blind spots for you. I think I had seen two of them, the first two The Great Dictator in Rome Open City, though, as we covered when we discussed those, it was like seeing them fresh because it had been since being an undergrad that I had watched both of those films. Let's go ahead and jump in. We do have of at the last minute, a name for these awards. Do you want to announce that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think we found a good one here. We put the word out on our last discussion the Circle, but we didn't get a ton right away, so set out the call again today on the film Spotting Family Discord. Thank you to those family members who weighed in. We got some good suggestions there, but I think we're going to go with one that showed up on Blue Sky when I mentioned it just a couple of hours ago. And this comes from mjs over on Blue Sky. You can find mjs as at the movie Vampire. And we're going to go with the Partisans, which, of course you know that phrase has a lot of meetings, but in the context of this marathon, and particularly in the context of Rome, Open City refers to the Italian resistance movement in World War Two. So I think we both sort of instinctively gravitated towards the Partisans, and we're going to go with that.
Speaker 4: Like it very much. So let's hand out our first partisan. It is for supporting Performance. We don't separate by gender here. We just hand out one supporting performance award, one lead performance award. That's what makes it so tough. The Great Dictator you might be looking at Jack Oaki, who played the Dictator of Bacteria. He was actually Oscar nominated for that performance. Josh Reginald Gardner was Commander Schultz Henry Daniel Garbage in Rome Open City. You've got Veto and Nikki Eurico as Marcello. There's the gentleman who played man Freddie as well, Marcello Pagliero. No Regrets for Our Youth has three candidates, at least the man who played Nogi. I think you'd have to consider Professor Yagahara, that character, the actor who played him, and Itokawa as well.
Speaker 2: Ze.
Speaker 4: How about Marcel Bozoufi as Vogo. We talked about him quite a bit during our performance. The photo journalist maybe as well, played by Jacques Perin. I could see you, Josh, pulling a bit of an end around here and selecting a character from the Sorrow and the Pity, even though it's a documentary. Wouldn't be surprised at all if that's what's coming here, but would be a bit of an odd choice. Finally, the Circle, there's a Rezu, very very major character, though a supporting performance, played by Mariam Parvin ALMANI did you select from any of those that I named who did get your partisan for supporting performance?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 3: I wish I had even entertained the notion of going with a quote unquote performance in a documentary. I just immediately I immediately set that aside. But in terms of riveting figures from this marathon, oh yeah, certainly this hour on the Pity had you know a number of them. No, I went to a more traditional route, and I'm going to give you an honorable mention and a winner. Here. The honorable mention the close runner up, Marcel Bozoufi as vago in Z. We did spend a fair amount of time trying to figure that guy out. I feel like a little bit this was the dim bulb predator who was manipulated essentially into being muscle for the military regime. And yeah, we tried to dig into his psychology and what he was really after. And I think that all speaks to the strength of the performance, the slipperiness of that disturbing performance that Bozoufi gave. So my runner up slot goes to him. But the winner does come from the circle at a maybe recency bias. This is Miriam Parvin Almani, who plays our Zoo and I described her as sort of the feisty one. We meet her fairly early on, one of the three women we meet after that first handoff, so they're on the sidewalk outside that maternity ward, and she's the one of the three who some men walk by say something. Not sure if we even catch or if the subtitles let us know what the men say, but she's not having any of it and follows them down the block to give them a piece of her mind. That moment is contrasted with a moment we didn't touch on where Narjes, the younger woman of the three, who feels, to me felt like the most vulnerable of them. She they had plans to go on a bus together to get out of Tehran and find you know, I think they describe it as their fantasy or their paradise. And at the last moment, our Zoo tells now just that she's going to go alone and for a variety of reasons, but sacrifice is an element of it too, We get a sense. And so I like that balance where this character. Almani's performance captures the fieriness, the sacrificial nature, and I just also like you feel in the performance that she knows Ara Zoo knows that result of that fiery nature within her, but it's her nature and it just comes out anyway. And so among all of the you know, fascinating women characters, we meet in the circle. I think I was most gripped by the performance.
Speaker 4: ALMANI gives great choice, and I'm going to go right from such a humane performance to an absolutely inhumane one. It was between the two villains. For me, I had as my runner up as well, Marcel Bozoofi as Vogo. Okay, but it's Henry Daniel as Garbage in The Great Dictator that is so ultimately memorable for me. You can say the performance is one note it is. You can say it's too drolly, cartoonish perhaps, though of course, in both cases it is precisely what this movie calls for.
Speaker 2: This man Apoloni is aggressive, dominating before we make our demands with us put him in his place. Perhaps that means of applied psychology, in other words, that making him feel inferior. This can be done in many subtle ways. For instance, at this interview, I have so arranged that he will always be looking up at you, you looking down at him. At all times. His position will be inferior.
Speaker 1: Excellent.
Speaker 4: It's it's inhuman. It is drained of any sense of compassion, of empathy, of life. There is not even in him a sense of rage. Josh. It's not as if this character, it seems, is driven by anything. This is the Secretary of the Interior and Minister of Propaganda, essentially Gerbels right under Hitler. It it just I want to call it it not him, because that's it behaves like a machine almost it has it has a directive, and there is no humanity to this character whatsoever. As a reminder why we're why we're doing this marathon too, we got off to a great, if daunting start with this movie and with this character, because this character is as I was describing, so banal I did invoke the the vampiric visage of Steven Miller, wondering if if he perhaps saw this movie did not pay attention to any of the other scenes except his, and took took extensive notes and said, hey, that looks great. I can emulate that this guy's the hero. The guy, this guy's the hero. Garbage is the hero of this movie. And when you look at it that way, it's it's not so cartoonish. That's that's who I'm going with. Henry Daniel's garbage.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, garbage is is scary and that's nothing. That's not something you say of Chaplain's Hinkle right, the Great Dictator himself purposely, this is how they're designed. But I think the movie does need, even though it's obviously a comedy, that threatening presence as well, you know, eerily calmly threatening presence, which is absolutely what Daniel brings.
Speaker 4: We move on to our next partisan four lead performance. The Great Dictator does have Charles Chaplin, who was nominated for Best Actor Dual Performance as the barber, and Hinkle the Dictator of Tomania. Paulette Goddard may be supporting, but I think you could put her as Hannah in the lead performance category. Rome Open City has Anna Maniani as Pina and Aldo Fobrezi as Don Pietro Pellegrini. No regrets for our youth, said Sukohara as Yuki Yagahara. In z we have Eve Montant as the deputy who is assassinated, Jean Louis Trennan as the examining magistrate. No, there's no lead characters in The Sorrow and the pity will stick with that unless you want to call Marcel Ofls the lead character is the director of the film. Finally, in the Circle, I think perhaps we could say that in our guests Mami Zada as an our guest, is the lead in that ensemble film, Josh, who did you give your award to?
Speaker 3: I couldn't separate or choose between Anamagnani and Aldo Fabrizi in Rome Open City, so I'm afraid they have to share my honorable mention Slot. I think what they bring here is an experienced sense of conviction as experienced actors. You know, there are many novice actors in this film, part of the verte element here. And then you get Manyani and Fabrezi, who one of them is quiet in their performance, one of them is quite loud. These characters both surreptitiously aiding that resistance movement, the Partisans, but they absolutely have their own distinct emotional power to the roles. And yeah, they're the faces I think of when I think of Rome Open City. Both of them my winner, though to me there was no doubt about it. It was satsuk Ohara as Yuki in no regrets for our youth. I just think this is a showcase for her talents, even though as we discussed, she was just getting started. It would be later that she would make her Noriko trilogy with director Yasujuro Ozu, and here she's playing a similarly a somewhat similar character, a single woman who's gently pushing back against the expectations of Japanese society. What I love about the performance here, especially in the context of those later ones, is you see Yuki maturing into just that sort of woman across the course of this story. I think of the first scene, or one of the early scenes we see here where she's out on that hike with the other students, her father students, and they're at the top of this mountain and they hear the guns going off and it's practicing, you know, the military practice, and she says, I love that sound, and we get a sense it's she's all in on the patriotism at this point, right, the militarism, and Satsukohara is all in on that depiction of the character as well. We get a variation of that a little later, where her father's students are getting to political talk and she just says, I'd rather listen to music. But then we get that scene we spend time on where she's arranging traditional flowers and tears them apart and just says, this isn't me. And we see the identity starting to form there. Eventually we hear her say something like I'm just so disgusted with everything She's her eyes have become open to what's happened to her country. And despite some of that dialogue that I quoted, you know, so much of this is done by silent film acting. We also mention this adam the elements of no Regrets for a youth that recall silent film techniques, and Harro gets all sorts of almost dry esque Joan of Arc portrait shots here from Kurrasawa. I also think of the mug shot, which is, you know, kind of a startling technique for a movie from this era, where we see her just in profile and looking forward, but exactly as you would in a mug shot. There's a moment where she gets dizzy on the stairs and we get a woozy close up. So Hara is just doing basically everything you can do in front of a camera, whatever era you're working in, She's doing it here and doing it beautifully. So she was my pick for us lead performance.
Speaker 4: I did mention Paulette Goddard as Hannah and the Great Dictator, and I really do respect that performance. And this is such a loaded category that she can't rate any higher than fifth here, because you've got at minimum the two performances you singled out, first Annamanyani and Aldo Fabreezi giving two of the most heart wrenching performances in cinema history. And then the person I'm giving runner up to, I'm going back to the great dictator. I'm in on Charles Chaplin giving that dual performance despite perhaps all the speechifying and some sentimentalism. I think that this is a difficult performance, Josh, because not only do we see two vastly different versions of Chaplain here and a side of him we had never seen up to that point. But for me, one of the faces of this marathon is when we talked about and it's it's when Pinkele turns to the camera with the ferocity and the rage and the snartling teeth talking about the.
Speaker 1: Juden no Chudin with a chuldin kind of a bush.
Speaker 4: That's legitimately terrifying, and for Charles Chaplin, the little tramp, to pull that off, I can't imagine what that was like for audiences at the time. But also seeing that on the big screen, that that's part of it. Then there's the physicality. We may talk about at least one other scene a bit later. There's the physicality to the performance as well in some of the comedic bits that I think elevated to at least run her up status. But I'm with you. I did go with Susukahara as well in No Regrets for Our Youth. And part of it, perhaps as well, is that, unlike Manyani, this is just based on what happens to her character, she does own the movie. This is her film, and you said it. She's best known for her collaborations with Tho Zoo. She only made two films with Kurosawa. The other one was The Idiot, and this is the only one that Kusahwa did with a female lead. And this movie is certainly good enough, and Horra is certainly good enough that you wish that wasn't the case. You described it so well. I don't know that I can I can say anything better, But it is such a huge arc that this movie covers with that character, going from this naive young woman who isn't it all interested in getting involved in politics to a much more mature woman who has experienced real suffering and now chosen to become more politically active, and she does play at all, I think with such subtle force. And I found film comment commented on her performance. I'm going to read a quick part of this. The actress plays every step of her evolution in such a straightforward manner that even her ever changing hairstyle works towards this end, no matter what external appearance she bears. Horra's greatness is her ability to project an inner self that prevented her from wearing those styles as if she were at a costume party. And I don't know if we got into it or not, but it was in my notes that the scene where and it's a famous scene that may come up or not, where she goes to work in the rice fields and is determined to work with the with the in laws. What does she do? She puts she puts her hair up, and that low angle shot that Krosawa captures that with it's such force. That's that's a bit of silent film acting. Even there, it seems like right where the camera and and just the the physical part of that, that gesture with her hair is doing all the work saying everything about the character that we need it to. And and she she becomes an entirely different type of worker and person in in that sequence.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I like the phrase subtle force because yes, she's not doing she's not pushing anything too hard, yet somehow registers so strongly across the whole stretch of this movie.
Speaker 4: So we always hand out an award. We have three more categories. We have best Scene, we have the scene that's unique to our marathon, we'll get into more detail about that in a second, And we have Best Picture. Sometimes I wonder whether or not it makes sense to do the best overall scene second, like we're building up to that. But I actually think, and this is usually what we do. I think the scene that's unique to the marathon makes a little more sense to build to to be the penultimate one before before the best Picture award is handed out. So what is the best scene for you and the marathon that isn't the dissident gesture that we'll get to here.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, I like that because my scene is a downer in my dissident gesture is a little more inspiring, So I like that.
Speaker 4: I'm definitely the opposite, actually the opposite. Both of mine are depressing as hell.
Speaker 3: Well you know that's yeah, that's reasonable. That's how things went a lot in this marathon. Well for seeing I'm going with I'll start with and maybe the downer of the marathon in terms of how the filmmaking just punches you in the gut, and that's the murder of Pina from Rome Open City. We did spend some time with this, but she protesting Francesco being arrested, the soldiers shooting her, and we witnessed this from the back of the truck where he's been thrown in pulling away, and it's just yeah, I mean, you could go you could go back to our conversation and we describe just why that works so powerfully. But that one an honorable mention for me. And another one I'm going back to the circle from just last week, and it is completing the circle that finale, which, as you said, had had riches beyond the ones we spent a long time discussing that you track down later. So those are my honorable mentions. The winner for me, it's a bit of a wonky one as opposed to the emotionality of those two honorable mentions, but I really love the meta nature, the ingenious quality of it, even with the context of you know, a very political film, and it is the fantasy finale of accountability in z This is where we think we're getting a happy ending. We think that these the military regime, these perpetrators of the political violence. We see them being indicted, and we think, especially if you don't know, you know, the Greek history, the recent Greek history, that this is drawing from this account maybe maybe this is maybe they actually the bad guys were actually held accountable. And then the movie pulls the rug out from under us reveals what happened in real life, that these figures were exonerated back in power and things got even worse. Doing this via that news report that Costa Gavras stages and detailing all of this, it made it. It gave it a level of realism and echoed how this might go down in our own world in a way that was inventive and jarring and unsettling. And I just I think that's my scene because it's it's it's somewhat on the level of something Panahi from the Circle might sure pull off. You know, this this melding of real world techniques and that it was happening how many years earlier, you know, I appreciate as well. So that's my pick for best scene. I'm going with Z's fantasy finale of accountability. Josh.
Speaker 4: I thought I was being so clever coming up with this one, and it's genuinely my pick. But as it turns out, this and I have a slight variation on it. This choice is my dissident gesture. So I'm gonna jump ahead to my Wow. Yes, okay, I'm viewing it slightly differently here. Yeah, it does right. It's the opening title card, yeah, plus the PostScript in Z, the active defiance. The active defiance here is committed by the filmmaker himself. It's Costa Gavras telling us right from the jump, that brilliant opening title card. Any similarity to actual events or person's living or dead is not coincidental. We've seen it a million times. Audiences even then had surely seen it a million times, accepted it said, is coincidental. This says, is not coincidental, and then it adds it is intentional signaling to you as a viewer, do not get comfortable, do not get complacent. This film is going to be a reckoning. This is going to be a denunciation. And then the PostScript you just described where this film seems like everything comes together so neatly. It feels it does. We talked about it. It feels like a fantasy. You want to believe that life works like this, that maybe at one time life worked like this, or maybe another in another time and place, life worked like this, and and could we have that happen in this time and place, and that it turns out no, it didn't even happen in this time and place. And we do get this element. You're right, it's it's a meta sort of panahi like nod where we get a newscast that that makes it feel real, gives it that element of a docudrama, even though we do realize at some point that this this isn't a real newscast. It's the it's the photographer character, and this rustcast is being broadcast for for one audience, us as the audience. Just like he was speaking to us at the beginning, he is speaking directly to us now. And we find out that after this, this this joyous verdict and things coming out how it should have come out with justice, things only got worse. More liberties, more freedoms were taken away, and expression freedom of expression was clamped down on even further. That ending is so brilliant. It leaves you it it does, it does send you out of the out of the theater feeling infuriated, but hopefully also feeling committed. And I think in that way. I think in that way it is. It is a dissident gesture, and that's why I chose it there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, I like that. We probably should have spent a little more time defining, like how are we going to consider something a scene as opposed to a gesture? But it absolutely fits. It absolutely captures the idea of what we're looking for and doesn't remind me. Now, I didn't rewatch it before putting together these notes. But doesn't it sort of climax with that photojournalist turned news anchor. Then all of a sudden there's a report of him being arrested as well, right, isn't that like sort of Yeah, so it just builds the paranoia like builds builds builds, and then but I like, I do. I really like what you said about it being both disturbing and somehow makes you feel committed. I want to come back to that maybe with some of the other picks we're going to make But yeah, I think you're right about how that takes place within this particular scene or gesture too.
Speaker 4: Okay, then let's get to your pick for dissident gesture.
Speaker 3: Okay, let me give you I did have a couple of honorable mentions, So let me do that real quick first. And and this comes from when the first one comes from Rome Open City. It's the Parish Boys whistling mourning in Florence before Don Pietro is executed, briefly, briefly heartening him. That's a great one, like the Partisan Boys. And also this is when we spent time on just last week from the Circle. The sex worker who's been arrested, throws thrown in the prison bus, starts to cigarette, is told no. A few moments later, the men in the bus light a cigarette, and so she takes that as her opportunity to I am going to light this cigarette. Very small, very small, but I think in the context of what we've seen in Iran at that time, that's a dissident gesture to light your cigarette, especially as we talked about the recurring motif throughout the movie of the other women attempting to have a cigarette and continually being frustrated not able to my disident gesture though, is even smaller, and this did come up in our discussion of no Regrets for our Youth, But I remember noting it, and I didn't know why I noted it, because it's a brief scene, a very brief gesture. But I found some encouragement and maybe even commitment to go back to your word in it. There's the moment about maybe a third of the way in where the students of Yuki's father have begun to organize and they want to protest what's happening on their campus, the moves of the government and so forth, and so they're having this late night meeting. I forget if they're making posters or making plans something like that, and all of a sudden the janitor comes in, and this is late at night, and he just gives provides them snacks, and there was something someone comments about it. I forget if they say like, why are you still here or you know, you know, we don't need this place cleaned up something like. Someone kind of questions him, and he just is like, well, this is what I can do. So in that brief moment, you get a sense that I don't know if we see that character ever again in the movie or if we saw him previously, but something just kind of lodged with me about this is a guy who knew what they were up to, knew his limitations, probably for his job, his place in society, but had his convictions and thought, you know what I can do. I can bring these kids snacks while they're planning how to actually go out and do the more, you know, on the ground work. And I thought, disidant gestures kind of look like that too. You know you need those gestures too, So not the biggest one of the marathon, but still one that I'm going to give my award to.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I like it, and it seems it seems intimate, it seems small if we really are taking gesture as it seems you did for these purposes literally, I like And it is a scene that does stand out in that movie because you know that Kurosawa isn't going to put a moment like that in there for nothing. It is it is one you you recognize that has some potency to transition. Back to my best scene, I do want to mention my runner up or dissident gesture, and it's the scene and really the shot where the Rebel boys set off a bomb in Rome open scene. It's that it's that moment when they they come flying over the hill or or whatever, that is where we get that what I call the one battle after another moment. I think it's the shot that PTA consciously or unconsciously paid homage to of the skateboarders and as they emerge out of the smoke, and that that of course is a very big dissident gesture, but nevertheless one where we don't know at that point in the movie if I remember correctly, that all those boys are partisans, that those boys are actively part of the resistance. But we know it the second we hear that bomb go off and they emerge out of that smoke, and it is such a beautifully composed shot. Back to best scene, I do want to give some love. This is one where I'll mention if you just a couple other scenes before I get to my picks. In The Great Dictator, we have that globe dance that I think is so good, is really really something right? Actually, that's it is. It's my runner up now that I look at it's my runner up because the way he scampers around that room, the way he scampers up the curtain glides down it, the way he dances with that that globe balloon, perfectly in sync to Wagner. And it's just this this jextaposition of beauty and and and gracefulness. And also it shows you everything you need to know about the despicable mind of this fascist that this is. This is his vision of total world domination.
Speaker 3: That's it. Yeah, it works as chaplain esque, you know, physical comedy, but there's political potency as well. It's deflating, it's deflating, like this notion of war mongering, which is really this guy's childish whim, right, and as we've seen, these whims seem to be thrown about even today to horrifying results. But it appears like to the people calling the shots, this is what they This is how much investment they put in it. They're just playing a game, a silly game. So yeah, it's a delightful bit of comedy that has a lot going on underneath.
Speaker 4: But then following it, if I remember right, you've got the barbershop scene with his other character in the Hungarian Dance, which is genuinely lovely in z. The assassination scene is quite a sequence, and the way we see that from various angles, the sorrow and the pity. We spent some time on Christian de la Massier. There are so many moments with that character, but really the one where he explicitly, so casually defends his collaboration with the nazis just unrepentantly and the circle. I like that you tied in completing the circle. I did think about that, but I will be honest and say that I wrote down just the opening hospital sequence that alone is enough for me to be a best scene contender. But I'm going with the obvious choice here, and that's how it works.
Speaker 3: Sometimes.
Speaker 4: Sometimes the obvious choice, certainly for me, is the right one. It's Pena's death from Rome Open City, and you certainly could call it a dissident gesture. Wouldn't be a great candidate, perhaps for best scene of the Marathon if it didn't encompass that in some way. But it doesn't begin that way, nor is it really intended, I think, to be an act of defiance. She is simply chasing after the man she loves, who is being taken away for no good reason. The man she is supposed to marry. This is an act of love, is what this is. And yes she has just wrenched herself away from the Nazis, but that's what it is. And here with Rosselini, you have every kind of cinematic approach that he is harnessing in this film to such great effect is on display, from still composed shots to dolly shots and following following her as she runs to her coming towards the camera, but the the camera is pulling away from her. Two shots, single shots, you name it, it it, it's all being used to such great effect. And you have handheld as well. There is a reason why. And then at the end Don Pietro holding her and evoking the Pietra there's a reason why this is. This is iconic. I do think, Josh, if you were making a poster, and when I say you, I don't mean just me, I'm going to speculate that you might do it as well. I'm going to speculate that if we pulled one hundred people listening who had watched all of these films, and you said you have to pick, you have to make a poster for this marathon, and you can only pick one image from one film. I think it's possible Pena running towards the truck, Pena getting gunned down is the image. I think it's the iconic image of defiance. Ultimately that speaks to the what we're trying to explore in this marathon, the oppression and injustice in this marathon. I think that's it and that's why I picked it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the filmmaking is why it's a scene of the marathon candidate. You know, as you described all the elements it took to pull that off, including in the conditions this film was made. You know, we talked about that a little bit. Is this was in some sense a gorilla effort, and to be able within that context provide something so precisely staged, filmed, and then edited is quite a feat. So yeah, definitely why it was an honorable mention for me, and totally get why it was the winner for you.
Speaker 4: So we are at best Picture. Certainly sounds like it could be a difficult choice for the both of us considering the quality of films in this marathon. Institutes from Josh, where did you go?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 3: A lot of times with these Marathon award shows, it becomes obvious as we go on like, oh, this one's been mentioned alive, this one's been mentioned a lot. It's probably going to be Adam's best picture or Josh's best picture. In this case, it's one that's hardly come up. My winner is The Sorrow and the Pity. And I don't know, man, I just maybe I'm influenced by the fact that this one applied I felt the most to our current situation in the United States. As I was watching it, I just kind of like, I kept tensing up more and more, and yes, I think this is what over four hours, right, four and a half hours? Yes, so I was pretty tense at the end. A document of France occupied by Nazi Germany. But all the dynamics I saw at play reiterated the reality that you know, United States is occupied from the inside, just forces ignored in the constitution, bending breaking laws, regulations, blatantly disobeying international law. And why does that make it the film of the marathon for me? Because I think it connected most to why we want to do this marathon is try to wrap our heads around what's happening. And not only is The Sorrow and the Pity intricately constructed and needs all of those four and a half hours in ways that we discussed, but it was revelatory in that sense of how this can happen so quickly to countries that otherwise you would think would have different values. And related to that is the question, you know, as I was clenched up at the end, so what are we going to do?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 3: And it struck me that Sorrow and the Pity is a wake up call to anyone who thinks they can ride out humanity's worst impulses. If you think you can just look the other way about your day. You know, that movie documented how the people who chose to do it that way, they're living in a different reality and in the moment and for the rest of their lives. And so dissonance of some kind is going to be required for the country, for your neighbors, for your own conscience. Really, I think of that phrase at times like these, you really see people's character, you know. One of the interviewees says that, so Ofal's document, it was just it's crucial. It was crucial and its time and place. We talked about that, right, it's like what it meant to France at the time of its release. Sadly still crucial, So I'm going to make it my pick just for its effect on me and its lasting relevance.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it's a wonderful choice because I strongly considered it and it's my runner up. It is my number two film from the marathon, And to your point about it's relevance, and I think we we did manage to find relevance to our current day situation without straining at all in every single film that we talked about in this marathon, but this one, The Sorrow and the Pity is the movie that forced the toughest questions and it made me think about the most questions. The one that I saw we spent time on this, but the one I saw in my notes as I was refreshing my memory today, the one that lingers with me the most from my notes as I watched this film, is am I wrong to feel like our collaborators need to be punished? Speaking to exactly what you said about being occupied from the inside, That's how I felt too watching this film. That's what I was thinking about, And so I think we have collaborators similar to some of the French people, the French resistance people felt in this movie. Otherwise, I'm not comparing myself to those French resistance fighters at all, other other than that that feeling. And you can take the word punished there. Punished is doing a lot of work, because you can take punished there to mean according to the letter of the law and simply want what should be coming to some of them for violating our constitution, for breaking the law, and you hope that things are set right, or you can take it to mean something that is coming from a place within me and probably others that is seeking more retribution because which.
Speaker 3: We save the documentary Rhich, we also see.
Speaker 4: In the documentary exactly. Yeah, so that's why it's my it's my runner up. But as you maybe have been able to predict from at least my last choice, can I guess you can guess?
Speaker 3: Okay, I feel I feel like it's Rome Open City. But part of me also feels like you've mentioned the Dictator, the Great Dictator way more than I have, even though I enjoyed it quite a bit. But then I expect it is it the Great Dictator? No, it's not. Okay.
Speaker 4: I I did enjoy The Great Dictator this time around, more than maybe I expected to, But okay, and I do think it's a very good film. Yeah, I don't know where I would I don't know where I would rank it. I haven't ranked the films of this marathon. I do know that The Sorrow and the Pity is number two, and I know that Rome Open City, Okay, is the I was going to say the essential, but I think The Sorrow and the Pity is also essential. It's my favorite. Rome Open City is my favorite film. I said that z created the blueprint for the modern political thriller. I'm not the only one who has suggested something like that. This, this film, Rome Open City created the blueprint for modern resistance cinema. You can trace the exact line from one battle after another to the Battle of Algiers back to Rossolini and this film. We were talking about the different techniques employed just in that one sequence, Pina's death. This is a movie that somehow works so incredibly and it's part melo drama, it's part suspense drama, it's pseudo documentary newsreel type approach, and it's all combined with the neo realist approach at times. And you have, as we've touched on, two of the best characters and performances we saw in this marathon, in Manyani's Pena and Fabrizi's Don Pellegrini. I already mentioned two of the most memorable scenes, Pina's death and the rebel boys. You also singled out the ending and the boys whistling. We could probably highlight others. You have a non believer, I found out later in Rossolini, who makes a profound movie. I think about faith, which is another fascinating angle on this film, and you alluded to this earlier. Another thing that makes this film so remarkable is its perspective, despite the proximity to the events, to the oppression that it is depicting. It's said in nineteen forty four shooting in early nineteen forty five, the war isn't even over yet. This is completely fresh. Only Rome has been liberated, so the Germans just got out of town. And here's Rossolini saying, now I'm going to render this experience on screen, and the buildings the backdrop is the backdrop. That's why it feels neo realist because he doesn't have to fabricate anything. There's there's no production design really needed, certainly in the streets of Rome, because the.
Speaker 3: Backdrop is there.
Speaker 4: The city experienced it, the people experienced it, and I think Rome Open City is is an achievement. That's why it's my favorite film of the marathon. It's getting my partisan convincing.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna make it my honorable mention. I didn't really have one, but yeah, if I did that ranking too, I think that's where I would land, We'd we'd be flip flopped. I'd have sorrow and the pity as the best, and then Rome Open City just after that. I like, so, can I ask you? Can I ask you a question before we wrap up here that if it's easy. I don't know if it's easy. So, but it's been as I've been putting these notes together, I've been asking myself this, and I think I've meandered toward an answer. So I'll ask you, and I guess give mine and give you time to percolate on it. Do you feel better or worse about the state of America after doing this marathon? Because I think, as I said, one of the reasons we want to do it is just to try to make sense of what's happening here and get some historical context. Perhaps. I think also I was I was hoping to come out of it feeling one way or the other. And so I'm now that we're at the end. I guess I would say if you asked me that question, I would say encouraged. And I think I mean, we've witnessed how in these dramatizations and in one documentary, you know, the human spirit has weathered, survived, and in some cases pushed back against fascism, authoritarianism in the last you know, fifty eighty years that we've been we've been looking at in these movies, and there's something oddly maybe it's just like there's more people in the fox hole with us in a way historically that I find some encouragement, but just reminders were not the first to go through a variation of this. I don't know. I don't know. I don't have a response.
Speaker 4: It's a great question, and it's funny too, because we could spend a lot of time on this, and I don't want to at this point. But you look at the six films we watched, and if you do a quick snapshot, how many of them truly end with hope? How many of them?
Speaker 3: Know?
Speaker 4: How many of them truly end on a positive note? Even even something like The Great dictator of course ends with hope, because you've got this this great plea yeah, for love and compassion. Part of that, part of our response to it, might be that it just rings a little little false. But beyond that, we also we also have the fortunate benefit of hindsight, and we know that we know that that it that the call to action didn't work, and so there's that part of it as well. In some ways, you could say this marathon is more of a downer than one that would encourage us. But I think, Josh, I am, I'm with you, that that the scale is slightly tipped more towards encouragement, I could be a little more discouraged in some ways that I now I now see, of course we were both aware of this, but that I now see so many more examples of different people being oppressed in so many different ways, and all the different types of injustice, and how he learned horribly people are treated historically. Honestly, Yeah, I mean that that could that could dispirit you, certainly, And I felt that at times watching the marathon, but watching watching the resilience, watching the resilience, and you you made a great called action yourself. At one point watching this marathon. Was it during the Sorrow and the Pity? Was it during our conversation about that film, or was it early? I think it was the Sorrow and the Pity that I thought was that I thought was very convincing. And I think that I think that's because of the power of a of a film like that, and that that ultimately we see in people like the French, the French resistance fighters like you can't help but be emboldened by that and think, as you were saying Kenneth with think, well, then surely I can do something, Surely like I'm not I'm not having to sacrifice on the level of those guys.
Speaker 3: Surely I can.
Speaker 4: I can I can play some small part in that, in this, in what we're experiencing. And with that in mind, then I think, ultimately I'm I'm in a I'm in a better place than I was when it began.
Speaker 3: Okay, good, good. That to the reasons we're happy to have done this marathon. There you go.
Speaker 4: We encourage you to check out all of our marathons at filmspotting dot net slash marathons. You can get caught up on our conversations about all the films. If you missed any there, We will select our twenty twenty seven marathon topic later this year. Now, that is something that Film Spotting Advisory Board members get to weigh in on. They really get to shape the candidates, and then we let Film Spotting Family members vote on the final marathon. I think that's how we usually do it is the fab helps us whittle it down, we get finalists, the family pick. So if you want to help decide what our next marathon is going to be, what the content of this show is going to be, you can become a Film Spotting Family member. You can learn more at Filmspottingfamily dot com. Remember, we do have a promotion going on now where you can get twenty percent off any subscription that runs through this month. All you have to do is use the promo code Summer.
Speaker 3: Quick Reminder before we leave that we've got a lot coming your way. In the Film Spotting Feed on Monday is the Movie Racket with Michael Phillips. This time the subject the movie laws of book to film adaptations. Michaels Hiley is David Yeah no kidding. Kajanic. Kajanic is the screenwriter slash adapter of Luca Guaddanino's Suspiria Bones and All and a bigger splash. So look for the movie Racket on Monday. Then on Tuesday, we've got Film Spotting SVU coming your way. They'll be talking about Lewis Letterier's The Last House That One stars Greta Lee and Wagner Mora. It's available on Netflix. On Thursday. The Next Picture Show has part two of their latest pairing, the Anthony Boordain biopic Tony plus Pixar's Ratitudey Friday, we'll be back to discuss David Robert Mitchell's The End of Oak Street. I'll have a few words on Tony as well. For Films Spotting, I'm Josh Larson.
Speaker 4: And I met him Kempinar. Thanks for listening.
Speaker 1: This conversation can serve no purpose anymore.
Speaker 2: But Barne