Speaker 1: Welcome to Katie's Crib, a production of Shondaland Audio in partnership with iHeartRadio. Your kids, did they prefer your wives over you or you over your wives? Or have you just seen the phases go in and out?
Speaker 2: We're deep in a phase in my house right now. My daughter prefers me and my son prefers your wife. It's funny because they both go extremes. They're both very sweet to both of us. But like my son, him and I will have a fun moment and I'll say I love you, buddy, and he goes, I love mom with all my heart, more than anything in the world.
Speaker 1: Hello, everybody, Welcome back to Katie's Crib. Adam is very excited about today's episode because we've got a couple guests on today that Adam is a huge fan of and yes, he's had playdates with them in the park. They all have man crushes on each other and it's adorable. I first met these incredible gentlemen actually doing moms splaining with Kristen Bell, who was a guest on Katie's Crib season one. I am talking about Kevin and Evan, who are best known as the Dumb Dads, and if you're on TikTok or you're a parent, I'm sure they pop up on your for you page all the time. The two of them are stay at home dad comedians behind the popular Dumb Dad pod TikTok account. They're also the hosts of the Dumb Dad Podcast, a show that's all about bringing humor to the perils of parenting. Evan and Kevin have been featured on Mom's Plaining, As I said with Kvel, They've been on Ellen Today and Good Morning America for their social media sketch comedy. They also make content for Bubble, a channel on Ellen Tube. Kevin and Evan, what an honor to spend some time with you today. Welcome to Katie's crib.
Speaker 3: A. Hi.
Speaker 1: I'm so pumped about this, saying Adam is such like a fan. We just had him on I know, how do you do?
Speaker 3: Here's the thing. He had no energy for you guys.
Speaker 1: That's Adam have a lot of energy. Actually, we both don't have that much energy left for each other, so I'm curious how it's going in your households. We've met at a park, yes, before, my my son, isn't you? Yes? But no, really, what I meant was, my husband is so into you guys of the channel. He's a dumb dad too, but not. I feel like you guys are way.
Speaker 3: Dumber, way dummer like way so much.
Speaker 1: We've crossed paths so many times. We were both guests on Kristen Bell's Mom's blaming.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, that's right.
Speaker 1: You guys are paving the way when it comes to the dad space.
Speaker 2: It's funny you brought up Kristen because she said that she was the first one to say that to us. Yeah, once, and we were I was like, oh, maybe we should stop.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I should go back to bartending.
Speaker 1: And Adam feels this way too, And I know my brother is like my best friend too, and he's a very involved dad. And I think, I think this is going in a great trend, in a great way that dads are way more involved and there are dads who are the primary caretaker. Tell me first, how And I'm sorry you have answered this question one million times, but not for the Katie's crab body, and so here we have it right, that's right. How did dumb dads come to be? How did you meet? How did the idea happen?
Speaker 4: Kevin and I met doing sketch comedy and you're both to and so yeah, so we're doing sketch comedy like live shows. And then fast forward we had kids, and then in preparation for kids, like a lot of the wives do, they were like listening to podcasts and everything, and they were like, there's like no dad podcasts out there, and we'd always kind of looked for something else to do together. We weren't really sure what that was going to be.
Speaker 2: But the dad podcast, I will say the ones that existed were so typical dad podcasts where it was just like, oh, another dad podcast.
Speaker 3: The last one was three years ago.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like they have like we have a dad podcast now we have three episodes, right, so we thought, okay, So like right before Kevin and his wife Annie were having their second child, we thought that'd be a great time to start, like at the beginning of having a baby, and they're like talking about the.
Speaker 2: Experience and pairing too, which was really fun to be like, I have one, she's almost four or three at that time, and then it was like.
Speaker 3: We're about to have a second one. You just get to compare, like, uh, I didn't.
Speaker 4: Go this way this time, right, So we just decided Okay, the biggest thing is going to be consistency. We can't put a dad podcast out there if we're not gonna it's only gonna be once a while. We're gonna have just once a week. So we just thought we can commit to once week. Let's just sit down and record a conversation. That's where we'll start, and then we're both actors performers. And so the pandemic hit, we were still doing our podcast. We were doing it remotely, which was insane. We were struggling to figure that out for a while. And then when the pandemic hit and like the whole industry shut down and there was no auditions or anything, we were like, now what do we do? We don't have anything to do. So we started posting like sketches online about being dads, and Kevin posted one about being a stay home dad and it did well, and we thought, okay, that's cool.
Speaker 1: That's an understatement. It did so well. You guys can go look at all their socials and their tiktoks and all their numbers and all their followers and all this stuff. But it's such an inspiration to people.
Speaker 4: So yeah, so thank you very much. We were posting for like two and a half months or so something like that, it was like nothing really grabbed, and then a stay home dad video did pretty well. I was like, Okay, maybe this is like the lens we need to put every this is the filter we need to put everything through. So then I don't know, and then I guess here we are. We posted a couple of things that went pretty viral, and.
Speaker 3: Chris and Bell, like k Bell just blew it up.
Speaker 4: And that was awesome, and we thought, oh cool, that's crazy. She put that in front of so many people. And then next thing, you know, her people reached out to us and asked if we wanted to be on Mom's planing and then we were like, what is happening?
Speaker 3: Now we get to talk to you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but really, you're paving the way and I know that she said that, and I'm saying it again, you guys being on the forefront of this, like why do you think the response has been what it.
Speaker 2: Is in our emails or dms where somebody who's like in the Midwest or something like that, and it's a dad who's a stay at home dad, and we've got some incredibly sweet and heartfelt messages of just being like I felt really alone doing this. What I'm doing isn't normal quote where I am. So you need to just thank you guys for what you're doing. And that's that's been the stuff that's like WHOA made us? Like pause for a seconds. We're just there's the dumb dads. We're predious. Where do make a joke.
Speaker 1: It's affecting change. I mean we're over here the mom's you know, working moms. I'm doing so many episode topics about how to juggle it all and how to not feel guilty. And at the same time, I'm curious about your experience being stay at home dads. Did it feel weird from the beginning or were you always like, nope, I'm taking up space. I'm owning this identity and this is me now.
Speaker 4: First, I guess I was just say also, we became state home dance, Like as soon as we started having kids, we just decided this works great for schedules, and so we'll just be the state home dads.
Speaker 3: It sounded fun to us.
Speaker 4: I think it was like, I really want to tackle this and do this, but we definitely like you were taking your daughter to dance for a while, You're definitely like the only guy in the room.
Speaker 2: Yeah, think my wife said. My wife said, and I think this is great. She's a great mom and she does so much for the family, but she's also like, I couldn't do stay at home mom.
Speaker 3: I couldn't do it. And it just it worked out.
Speaker 2: At that time, I was bartending nights like really late, like nine to three, and she'd get home from work at seven, So we were kind of like, this actually works.
Speaker 3: I only worked like three shifts at that.
Speaker 2: Time when we started having kids, so it was just like, so three days a week, the mornings are real tough, but other than that, like, other than that, it's fine.
Speaker 3: And we did that.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I still take my kids to all of the doctor's appointments, the dentist dance class.
Speaker 1: What's the weirdest thing you've gotten? Like, what rude or lovely thing have someone said, whether it be a doctor or professional or another mom in the class, like what are you doing here? Whatever it is, has that kind of situation happened?
Speaker 3: Yes? Yeah, My favorite.
Speaker 2: My favorite was I had my radio flyer wagon and I had my daughter sitting in it because we were gonna walk down the street like a couple like several blocks to the pet store to get dog food.
Speaker 3: I was like something to do, Like you.
Speaker 4: Gotta listen, you gotta fill the time activity, so you gotta fill the time. Yeah, you gotta kill it's all this cock man, it's all running out the cock. So I'm like pulling her down the street. She's just looking around.
Speaker 2: And then I just hear you gotta talk to her, and I look and there's a mom across the street, like you gotta talk to her.
Speaker 3: Dad, talk to your kid. Huh.
Speaker 2: I didn't want to talk to her ever again, just out of spite for that you got constant.
Speaker 1: Why is it any of her business? And also what does that even mean?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think she just thought I had just a quiet dad who's just like pointing to point, b get that out of your mouth and then that's it and then we're home. I don't know, but it was definitely like so targeted that it was like this idiot is doing such a bad job. And she saw me for three seconds before she was yelling across the street.
Speaker 3: You're not constant, constant.
Speaker 4: I took my my son had like an orthodonist appointment, and I don't know, this is like a year and a half ago or something, and so I take him to the appointment. After the appointment, we're going over like going forward, we want to be doing this practice and doing these things. And then basically I get the whole rundown of how to take care of the teeth, what you want to be doing at night, and then going forward, we want to do this and if you want, I can call your wife and explain all this to her.
Speaker 3: It was just like, do I look that stupid dude? Dis am?
Speaker 1: I just like, and also what you're battling. These societal norms are so ingrained.
Speaker 4: And if anything, Kevin and I knew what we were signing up for when we started putting a bunch of stuff on social media, because the internet is an absolute circus and we've been very fortunate with a lot of the comments that we get and of supportive parents, moms and dads out there. But when that kind of stuff happens in real life or sometimes in the comments, we just laugh about it, like, man, guess what somebody told me? Because I don't take that personally. Are just like I'm here, I brought my kid. I was able to find my card and pay for it.
Speaker 1: So I am an adult, I am a responsible Yeah. I wonder if there's ever the double standard too. I have a very good friend who has three children. When he goes around with the three kids, let's say, in the airport on the plane, like, people are like, oh my gosh, look at that. It's a man doing all the heavy lifting with child rearing. Everybody, get out of the way. What can we do to help? Do you have those experience as well as the ones where they're like, what are you doing here at ballet? This is not for you. This is Mommi's and children. Is there ever the opposite?
Speaker 2: I've had that specifically at the grocery store, just waiting in line. I was holding my daughter, not doing anything special. I was talking to her, this time you learned your lesson. I was talking. But some I'm like, not always, but it's usually an older woman who will say, she just goes, you're such a good dad.
Speaker 3: And I was like, you don't know that, you don't know that.
Speaker 4: You didn't hear me the way I screamed at her in the car before I got or whatever, like I just.
Speaker 2: Popped a filling, gritting my teeth earlier, but okay.
Speaker 3: And I'll say this too.
Speaker 4: It's so unfair because this is another joke that we tell or that something we joke about.
Speaker 3: It's like that will happen.
Speaker 4: And yet you paint the scenario where there's this mom behind you who is by yourself with three children who are going crazy, and she's just trying her best to like wrangle them and keep them calm and save for the moment, like she's running circles around you in that moment in terms of parenting, when you're just holding your kid right, like yeah, And that's not talked about it enough either.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, it sucks. I can think about it. We've both flown with both of our children multiple times by ourselves. I get eye rolls. How dare you bring children on a plane. I'm like, I'm back next to the toilets where I belong. People, I don't know how even grossing at my children across the country to visit family. And yet Adam, when he's flown by himself, people are like, can I help you with your bags? Let me put them up for you. What does he need? And I'm just like, what the fuck.
Speaker 3: The cocktail is on us?
Speaker 1: Yeah, It's like, oh, like yay, he's doing something like, yeah, he should be doing this so backwards. It's very backwards. But I do feel bad. I don't know what it is about people being so shocked when because I kind of am too. I'm looking, I'm asking myself of it. I'm trying to think of when the dad has been at the mommy and me class, or let's call it the toddler and me class, or the chance something like why are we so like, what are you doing here?
Speaker 3: It's so ingrained, I guess.
Speaker 2: I mean it's tough because I think there is like there are a lot of dads that fall into the category, or at least they used to be. I'm sure it's a much greater and less number now, but like that that are just like to do the weaponized incompetence of well, you already know how this stuff.
Speaker 3: Why should I do it? Mom's already knows there's so much better at it than I am, so I'll just let you do it.
Speaker 1: By the way, all you moms listening, whether you're stay at home or you work or whatever. I always tell my mom friends when they're like, I just do everything because I don't even want to take the time because it takes him longer to do it. I'm like, oh boy, you are fucking yourself, because let this be a lesson you will do everything. First of all, Let go of whoever you're co parenting with doing it different than you and it being worse or better. Who cares. Just let them do it, because then they'll do it and you're not doing it. Go hide in your room. It's just setting up that the workload should be shared between everybody, and you're really setting yourself up for failure if you're starting from jump doing everything because you want it done a certain way, big trouble.
Speaker 4: Everyone's gonna have a breaking point and you're just stacking on. It's too much responsibility.
Speaker 1: Kevin and Evan, when you told your wives that, you were like, I'll just be a stay at home debt. How did your wives deal with it?
Speaker 2: It was kind of more of like a oh wait, hold on, Like we were we've definitely considered talked about having kids before and then just looking back me, particularly with our schedule, I was already bartending nights, she was working days and you know, till seven, and it was like, I think we have a good situation here, and then yeah, we had the honest conversation was that something you'd want to do, It's gonna be a lot of work. And luckily I had a good support sysem Evan and I have a My brother and sister in law lived nearby, so when I had to run errands, I could always drop the kids off if it was something I couldn't bring the kids. But yeah, it was actually pretty pretty straightforward of like I'm I am a dumb dad because I was just kind of like I was kind of the Adobe dad of just like yeah, how you did it?
Speaker 1: Did you two decide together? Was it a conversation that you two also had, Like, hey, bro, like I'm thinking about doing this.
Speaker 2: I don't think we I don't think no because your kid is a year and a half.
Speaker 4: Yeah, my kid's almost yeah, more than a year older. I had the first I was the first one to have a baby, right, So gratulations yeah, and so so god man, just so many paths just so, but he's right in saying that, Like I felt like a dumb dad too, like yeah, I could do that. But it was also like financially, it kind of made this when you start figuring out like this is how much preschool costs? Like, I don't even make that much money, but if I'm a stay at home dad, it's like that's how much I make a month, essentially, because otherwise we'd have to pay that amount of money to have somebody.
Speaker 1: Else daycare or a babysitter or something.
Speaker 3: Financially, it works, schedule wise, it works. Same thing I was.
Speaker 4: I think I had transitioned out of working a full time job into bartending as well, working in bars as well. Eventually it was just like, thankfully you want to do that right now anymore trying to turn this into like our job.
Speaker 1: What would we do yea guys, Yeah, dumb dads.
Speaker 3: It was like two different lives.
Speaker 4: You're working a job until three thirty in the morning and then coming home and then being a say home dad was.
Speaker 3: Like really difficult. After a while, the older we got it was like, this is a difficult switch.
Speaker 4: But the dumb dad part comes in with, like Kevin said, just by going yeah, I think I can do it.
Speaker 3: I think I will do.
Speaker 4: It, and that it goes back to like being involved in sharing the responsibility.
Speaker 3: The dumb comes into.
Speaker 4: Parenting is hard and you're gonna make mistakes all over the place, so you might as well. Just go for it and try it and learn from your mistakes and get better at it.
Speaker 1: Evan and Kevin, what did your most epic dad fail to date?
Speaker 3: We talk about this every week on our podcast What's the dumb Thing You did this Week? And there's always.
Speaker 2: Something one that was almost really bad. Thankfully it wasn't. Everything ended up fine. Was when my son was born. I stayed overnight, my daughter stayed with Evan, and then stayed in the hospital overnight, and then the next day I was like, all right, I'm gonna go home tonight and I'll sleep at the apartment with my daughter. So I left my mom with the baby, so I get her pick her up, and then I'm getting all the stuff out of the car and my wife is in the hospital recovering with our newborn, and I slammed that trunk on my daughter's head.
Speaker 3: As hard as I could.
Speaker 2: No, whah, yeah, she stepped forward right as I was like, it's a hatchback. So you're just like no, I'm like, we're going to the hospital. Like I'm gonna be calling my wife being like, hey, we're downstairs if you need anything in the er.
Speaker 1: She's getting stitches right next to the cafeteria concussion, but she was okay, she was totally fine.
Speaker 3: Apparently I've noodle arms. Thank god. Well she's gotta fix.
Speaker 2: But I remember I was like going to slam the trunk like you do, and she's.
Speaker 1: Did that my mom's head, and I still remember the feeling. I remember so bad.
Speaker 3: I remember everything about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, its picture protect right, dar image right there. Oh, I shut my son's thumb in the van door hard, horrible. Everything is about that moment too. What about you, Evan?
Speaker 4: Last year, we made this joke all year long about how insane it is that like one day in the middle of the week you have early dismissal at school and.
Speaker 1: It's like, oh, we have that next year. I will meet you at any park. I am terrified.
Speaker 4: And we always joked about it all year long. It's gonna happen. It's gonna happen. But we're like, I'm twenty five for twenty five. Every day I'm there, I'm not forgetting.
Speaker 3: I forget.
Speaker 4: And then there was this one random Tuesday where second to last second the year, thank you, Kevin, second second to last Tuesday of the entire school year. My son was at school and it was the middle of the day and I literally had just had a conversation with my wife, this is great, feeling good, got work done early today.
Speaker 3: And I was like laying on the couch relaxing.
Speaker 1: Oh no, just do nothing.
Speaker 4: Doing literally nothing, and my phone rings and it's my son's teacher who is with him in the office, because it was like twenty five minutes past the time that I should have been there to pick him up, and.
Speaker 3: I just completely spaced.
Speaker 1: It happens, that easily happens, that is it easily. Was he upset or was he like all right, dumb dad?
Speaker 4: Was he was like I think he was a little upset. But she was there with him the whole time, and she was She was an amazing teacher. She was always there for the kids emotionally. It was like the first year after the pandemic, so that that's what the kids really needed after the pandemic, a teacher to really beave there fro him emotionally.
Speaker 3: So she was there the whole time with him because you weren't there, because I wasn't there.
Speaker 4: And I will say this though, it was after like a three day weekend or something like that, where you know, like throws you off as parents. It always does that to me, where it's like they don't go to school Monday, so then the rest of the week, I feel like it's a different day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, super confusing.
Speaker 4: And I say that because he I was like, I can't. I went to pick him up and I was like, dude, I'm so sorry. He's like, it's okay.
Speaker 3: There were a lot of kids in the office, a lot of parents, did it.
Speaker 1: A lot of people, yes, a lot.
Speaker 3: Of them running behind it work though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's probably all soon. Yeah, okay, what about your most epic proud moments oof parenting.
Speaker 3: When we get to one, we'll let you know.
Speaker 1: Come on, there's got to be some moment where you were like, like my son said, this weekend, someone asked them, how are you feeling about starting kindergarten in the fall, and he said, well, I'm having two feelings at once. I'm excited and I'm also very nervous. And I was like, oh my god, maybe you're not a sociopath. It's dumb, dad, dad us.
Speaker 3: Sorry for the interruption. I just wanted to hey, pal to give Katie the better mug the dumb for listeners.
Speaker 1: Adam was on the Dumb Dad Podcast. So by the time that this episode of Katie's Crib comes out, you will also be able to go to Dumb Dad's podcast and listen to Adam is a guest, but also listen to the Dumb Dad's podcast. It's fucking hilarious. But unlike Katie's Crib, which we got to work on our merch, anyone listening to podcast, the Dumb Dad Podcast has a sick ass mug that I will now be consuming this podcast record. They say hi, and by okay, epic proud, you.
Speaker 2: Have a very recent one, and then I'll say my old one that I've told before. But from my daughter, this was a few years ago. She there was one night she wasn't going to bed, and you know how that is where we got a gentle parent, our way through it.
Speaker 3: Whatever. Man, my parents had it so easy where they could.
Speaker 1: Just scream the door.
Speaker 3: I don't want to scream.
Speaker 2: And shut the door. You hear their heavy you hear their heavy footsteps, and you pretend you're sleeping.
Speaker 3: Those were the days.
Speaker 2: No anyway, I'm trying to tend a parent or get her to bed, and then you don want to sleep.
Speaker 3: We gotta go to bed.
Speaker 2: She won't, and she's not even like going into a room. She's just like planted in the hallway or the living room. And I was just like, hey, do I need to pick you up and carry you to bed? And she said, no, Daddy, you can't pick me up because it's my body and I choose what I do with it.
Speaker 1: I was like, Okay, well done. That's still what we are doing is so much harder. Yeah, it's impossible.
Speaker 3: I love that story because it is empowering to you as parents teaching her the right the right things, but also like, how dare you use my knowledge against me? It's like, oh, oh yeah, my.
Speaker 1: Son does that all the time. I love gentle bearding, don't get me wrong. Ye yeah, wonderful. But sometimes I'm like, this is sometimes it just bites us like bad, Like it's.
Speaker 3: Just we're hardwired to snap, or we're just tired or whatever.
Speaker 2: And a lot of times it'll take me a while to accomplish something with my my Todd. You know, my son, he's just turned four, So I have difficult moments with him, and then when I really pull back and get down on his level and then talk to him. It doesn't always, but it almost always works, and you're just like, I should have done this out the gate. They had something kicked it off wrong, so you were already in a bad mood.
Speaker 1: Interested, what about you? Evan epic dad wins.
Speaker 4: It's funny, like I don't really have like anything that's coming to mind, like a specific moment, But I will say there's moments where I feel proud as a parent. When my son, he's eight, he's like me as a kid, and even as an adult, he wears his emotions on his sleeve. He's not afraid to show his emotions. I'm prideful of that where he'll acknowledge, oh, man, something happened at school today that made me cry and it made me feel sad, or he won't be afraid to say like, I'm feeling really sad right now, or I'm feeling here's a gentle parenting word, I'm feeling big feelings right now. But the idea that we're teaching our children to acknowledge that it's okay to feel big feelings and then talk those out is like such a healthy way to go through life. And I wish I knew that. As I mean, I'm sure we all to a certain extent. Wish we knew that as kids, and so I'm prideful of that as a parent that hopefully we will be able to continue to have those open conversations where they're chill.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, if we're still doing these podcasts when we check in at thirteen, I'm like, so curious because you guys are so full own to me, like, wow, this is gonna go. I love that.
Speaker 2: Just going back to the general parenting thing though, like that kind of resonated with me. I'm as most of us parents are. I'm an emotional wreck all of the time, especially lately. Everything makes me cry or want to cry or hold back tears. We took a red eye the a couple of weeks ago, and we got on the plane and my daughter was so excited. She'd been on a plane, but not since before the pandemic. She doesn't remember it at all, so she was so excited, and I was explaining everything to her, and I was like, we're gonna be going hundreds of miles per hour and then we're gonna take off, and then she was like, oh, that's cool, and then what and then what are we gonna be like right next to the clouds? I was like, we're gonna go above the clouds, so we're gonna go through them, and then we'll be above the clouds for a little while. No, it's dark out, so we probably won't see it until we fly back in a few days. And then she turns around says to my wife whose mother passed away before they were born, and said to them, hey, mom, make sure to look for nanny and the clouds.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Nobody was doing well after that.
Speaker 1: That's a game over.
Speaker 3: That's a that was tough.
Speaker 2: But anyway, luckily the first couple of years, you're dealing with a very small child that yelling doesn't ever make sense.
Speaker 3: Because they're just infants or whatever. That's not true.
Speaker 2: Yelling into a pillow makes sense because you're so tired, and get yourself a screen pillow. You need a scream, won't stop crying. All that stuff that's different. Those was the best advice my mom gave you, which was like funny to hear when they open up to you. My mom was just like, I will just say the best advice I can give you is don't be afraid to put the child down and leave the room. I was like, oh, that's a weird thing to say and then cut to like six months later. I did that because I needed to.
Speaker 1: Was there ever a time you two haven't been on the same page. I know your kids play like all the time, and you're like essentially raising them altogether. But like, is one of you more strict or one of you more laid back, or one of you more anxious. Everyone has such different parenting styles and techniques, and some are like very crazy about like table manners and pleases and thank yous, and some are just like my kids are just feral. And that's just one example. But had to have the two of you ever disagreed.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, Evan, I feel so uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: I don't think so has one of you, because Kevin Ever yelled at one of your kids and you were like, well, that's crossing the line. That's actually not how we do this. In my house, I make.
Speaker 2: Sure that Evan's not around. I usually scariest kids when leaves them.
Speaker 1: Because like in the girlfriends, It'll be like if the kids all come into my house, let's say there swimming right at four o'clock or something, and I'm like, everybody for popsicles, and then I like, look and some of the moms are like, we don't do sugar this close to dinner time, and I'm like, oh wow, I don't give a fuck. And then some of the others are like, this is a huge sticking point for me, like I will make sure that they're totally hungry, like empties. Any sort of thing like a popsicle would not even be thought of until after six thirty, if at all. So that is not what you guys have now.
Speaker 2: And we're pretty aligned with the most stuff. I think there was one time I did surprise Evan because my wife and I will not do not that even one was coming up. There was just a random conversation, we are we're never gonna do sleepovers. That was that's the one I was going to bring up. That's that That one surprised Evan. But there's just so many cases of sexual assault with sleepovers.
Speaker 1: Oh god, you're actually scaring the shit out of me right now.
Speaker 2: Sometimes it's like, yes, it's a predatory adult. But then sometimes it's just your brother kids.
Speaker 3: Just being curious, not oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they're like let me see yours and mine and whatever, and that's like whatever. Then later there's trauma with that and there's just a lot of different ways that stuff happens.
Speaker 1: How are you what's your plan to mitigate this? Anyone's allowed to sleep over your house or not even that?
Speaker 3: Not at all?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, we won't do any sleep but if we did a sleepover, they'll be sleeping in the same rooms at that any at all. But no, we wouldn't because that's like, all right, guys go to bed. What are we gonna do hover there until they sleep? Like obviously kids stay.
Speaker 1: Up, but they can have sleepovers with Evans kids or no sleepovers is the rule.
Speaker 3: No, we're not going to do any of it.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's incredible. I am always so fascinated when people just know, know within themselves that this is a line that they have set and that is it. Like, I think that's great.
Speaker 4: It's not like I fully disagree with that at all. If anything, it caught me off guard when we were talking about it that night, because it was like, I don't remember why. It was like some one of our kids got invited or it was like, oh maybe we could do that, and they were like, oh, we don't think we want to do that, and I was like really, and it just I think it probably took me my surprise because I had sleepover as as a kid, and I always had a positive experience, so I think of it as like a fun thing, but I never thought of it from that perspective. Our two families are all very close. We have very similar parenting styles. We're not afraid to like parent each other's kids if we noticed them doing something they shouldn't do, We're comfortable with that. Yeah, But that was the thing that was like I probably disagreed with at the time, not knowing like maybe even why I was disagreeing with it, because I hadn't even thought of that perspective before. And then once you said that, I was like, wow, that makes actually a lot of sense to me. That it was like, is if I never had sleepovers as a kid, would that really like change me as a person now?
Speaker 3: Probably not, So then why maybe take that risk? Or yeah it doesn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we don't feel like we're are going to be disadvantaging our kids because every Thursday, for instance, Evanen's family come over, we go live for the dumb dads for like an hour on our social platforms, and then we all sit down and have dinner to Yeah, that whole time the kids are.
Speaker 3: Playing the whole time, and then they're up always past their best, of course they are.
Speaker 2: And then Evanen's family goes home and our kids go right to bed, and it's like they're not missing out on anything. If it was asleepover, the only difference is they'd sleep in the same room and something could go.
Speaker 4: They wouldn't because they'd be goofing off and they'd be going in there, going, please go to sleep.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: I think parenting changes a lot once you get some and whoever the stay at home person is, if that is what your family dynamic looks like like, I think once they go to school it's a lot better. But do you remember the days before they were in school? For those who are listening, who are there, did you nap while they napped? Did you scroll your phone? Did you meditate? Did you like take showers at the end of every day? What did you do?
Speaker 3: I was very lucky with my Honor.
Speaker 2: She was a great sleeper and she would take two naps a day. For a long time, she was taking two naps a day and they were like two to three hours each.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: Both of his kids sleep so well.
Speaker 4: And I've always slept I've been jealous of them for so long for this.
Speaker 3: And that's the real reason I want sleepover. You kids are gonna mess.
Speaker 1: Up my kids sleep, like find out they get Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, but I would do one nap for myself and I would do one nap, get stuff done like cleaning, laundry, stuff like that.
Speaker 3: So I would make sure.
Speaker 2: So if you only your kid only did one nap, set a time, you know, you know, for the most part, how long they nap for, I'd say take half of that time.
Speaker 3: Maybe I don't have to do it every day.
Speaker 2: I would have it like do whatever I want, watch a show, play video game, watch watch a.
Speaker 3: Program, but put on an a motion picture.
Speaker 2: It's just hard when they're that young. And communication is the biggest thing. It's your partner. Communicating your needs is the most important thing. My wife is an incredible partner and so helpful and often checks in with me.
Speaker 1: I love hearing that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's really great. And she often finds time, you know, tries to get time for me most every morning. Now she kind of takes control because I'll get up with her. She gets up a little earlier, she gets up a five and I'll get up around six before the kids hopefully are up, and then try to get stuff done. Once the kids get up, she will take over and do breakfast and stuff, so I can do time to myself or get work done like dumb dad stuff. And that's really great. But I really can't express enough like sometimes relationships are good need to be uncomfortable because you have to tell them if something's bothering you so it doesn't bottle up or whatever. And that's the best thing that can help you, especially if you are the default parent.
Speaker 3: I think we do the same thing.
Speaker 4: I probably try to hide it more, but I don't do it good enough job because my wife will be like, do you need to do you need to go.
Speaker 3: Somewhere a moment?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you're like, no, I'm fine, I'm fine, and.
Speaker 2: Then I'll then I'll be like you they need to go somewhere to go to the bathroom because your face is real weird.
Speaker 3: Yeah are you sweating? Where are you sweating?
Speaker 1: What did you do in the early because your face was going like coh shit, My kids never napped. What did you do for breaks and to take care of your sanity?
Speaker 4: I would do I would try to nap when they napped, my kids took naps, but there was never like a healthy schedule of three and a half hour naps or whatever that Kevin would get.
Speaker 3: Just like how in the world times full?
Speaker 4: So you know, I would try to nap when I when they were definitely younger, and it was and again like going back to like the half working in bar schedule and like being a zombie for the first four hours of the day and just needing like twenty minutes or something wouldn't really help. Sharing responsibilities later in the day with my wife.
Speaker 1: How do you do? How do you split up chores in your household? Was it always like, Okay, if I'm a stay at home parent and I'm were you running everything? It's like not only the kids' lives and the kids' schedules, but are you also running laundry, putting dinner out, packing lunches? Is that all on you as well? Or do your wives pick that up? Pick up some of it.
Speaker 4: We still kind of share quite a bit of it, certainly when there's my wife has worked from home for a long time, but there's still I mean, it's sort of at the end of the day, she like handles dinner.
Speaker 3: For the most part.
Speaker 4: We both enjoy cooking a lot, but she handles dinner probably like five four or five nights a week. But whatever needs to get done, she's definitely better at I am at staying organized and having like a list of things to do, which really helps me a lot of the time because it's like, just this past week, we were both feeling super overwhelmed with the amount of stuff that needed to get done, the laundry pile that we hadn't even touched in three days, to like the tabs in the car were expired, and like all the stuff, which is like, when that happens, it's hard for me to focus on like one thing because I get overwhelmed with everything.
Speaker 1: So she makes a list.
Speaker 4: It's ways start knocking it off. Just did that check, and it feels easier.
Speaker 1: And you're accomplished.
Speaker 4: When you're done, then it feels like, Okay, we did something, let's just start and then it just starts over every week.
Speaker 1: But odd question, a lot of times when the mom, like my kids just prefer me and Adam's a fucking amazing dad. And I don't know if it's because my kids are five and two and they're still really little, but when when they were home your kids. Did they prefer your wives over you, or you over your wives or have you just seen the phases go in and out.
Speaker 2: We're deep in a phase in my house right now. My daughter prefers me and my son prefers your wife. It's funny because they both go extremes. They're both very sweet too, both of us. But like my son, him and I will have a fun moment and I'll say I love you, buddy, and he goes, I love mom with all my heart more than anything in the world.
Speaker 3: I was like, Okay, that's not what I said. Cool.
Speaker 2: And then my daughter she picks fights with my wife, and it's just kind of like, oh, this is that weird feeling. Mother, daughter, I feel safe with you, so I'm gonna just dump on you all day.
Speaker 1: How old is she.
Speaker 3: She's about to turn seven.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm interested for that section. Right now, my two year old daughter is just a barnacle trying to like crawl back up inside me. And if daddy comes, she's just mommy, mommy, mommy.
Speaker 2: That's what my son is for my wife right now, just all over her all day.
Speaker 1: What about you?
Speaker 3: We m My son is eight. He definitely loves both of us.
Speaker 4: He definitely does the thing when if he needs something, he'll go ask mommy. She's like on a call for work and I'm like sitting in the room and he'll be like can I have something to eat? Or her It's like I'm sitting right here, like why not?
Speaker 1: Does she? Does he do that? Because you're more of the no person, there's more chances that she'll say yes, or does she go to her to get her attention?
Speaker 3: No, I'm just like, you don't talk to me until after five pm? Okay, you get the no. No, I mean not at all, not at all. I don't know why. I mean, it's just like I think she's just the default parent. Definitely with my daughter. My daughter is four.
Speaker 4: When I come out in the morning, my kids still my kids wake up early. And when I come out in the morning, like I say good morning to her and it's furrowed brow, like why are you addressing me?
Speaker 3: As well?
Speaker 1: My daughter screaming her head off if he's like taking her, which sucks because Adam is he's so involved and he would he does bath and he does dinner and he does all that stuff. But he takes her. And if I'm in the house, and I'm not doing it. She's so pissed, and I feel like he can sit through her crying and not have an emotional attachment in it. I cannot.
Speaker 4: The other night, my wife went with her friend to like a show, and so I took my son and my daughter to his orthodontist appointment, and then my wife left like in the mid like we had we needed to all go because she was going to leave shortly after we left. So it was like me and the kids for the night, and we are going home, and it was like about dinner time, but it's like one of those nights, like, hey, mommy's going Mommy won't be home tonight.
Speaker 3: What do you guys want to do?
Speaker 4: Let's order some food together and then we can watch a movie or something. Yeah, And from the backseat, my daughter's like, where are you going to be tonight at dinner? And I was like, what do you mean? She goes, where's mommy? And I was like, well, mommy's with a friend, so it'll be the three of us tonight for dinner.
Speaker 3: And she goes, where are you going to be for dinner?
Speaker 4: And I was like, I'm going to be home with you guys, and then it was like really quiet, and I was like, are you okay? She didn't say anything. I was like, are you upset? She's like yes, And I go tell me why you're upset? She goes, because I don't like you.
Speaker 1: I was like, okay, yep, that's Adam's life. Sure.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And it's just like it's so funny because it's like you don't mean that, but it hurts a lot.
Speaker 1: You know what though all that gentle parenting, she feels so safe with you that she can tell you exactly how she feels.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, very quickly, and I don't want to take up too much of your time. Can you guys even remember back from your perspective if you had them, was there one registry item from your baby showers that you got or when you were or when they were young that you could not have lived without?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Man, like cycling through all the stuff that we no longer have, I know, well, all the stuff that we doesn't work where we got rid of.
Speaker 3: Yeah, do you guys kick it off?
Speaker 1: I loved the Merlin sleep suit. We use the ship out of the Merlin.
Speaker 3: I'd say the the Ergo carrier.
Speaker 1: Or it goes in amazing care.
Speaker 2: I loved how insanely just like suction to your body. That would make the kids and they would pass right out.
Speaker 1: You also have star sleepers. So you've heard it here from Kevin on dumb Dad. Somebody needs to get him a deal with Ergo and Merlin's children thing for two fucking four hour and at day or something.
Speaker 2: I don't want them to sleep two hours in an airgo because like, my shirt's already wet enough.
Speaker 1: No, yeah, horrible, so much sweat and what about you can you remember?
Speaker 4: I think, Oh man, I'm trying to think of what was like absolute staple stuff.
Speaker 3: That we use. What's the what's the chair where they just bounce.
Speaker 1: Back in the Yeah, that's the baby Bjorn chair born But that was the best. I love that chair. I put them in there to shower.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was gonna say that was when you needed five minutes or yes, they you just didn't. You could hold them all day long, but that was a pretty comfortable place to put them for a minute and they could just like bounce back and forth. It was like a pretty clutch one. Some of these things seem so silly, but they just you're they're so essential. When you're I don't say your wits end, but when you're just like overwhelmed with the day of like again, activity to activity, trying to kill the day off. But with the newborns, like the little kid, the little little babies, it's like hard to like, Okay, what do we do now? There's only feels like there's only so many things you can do before you're just cycling back and forth through the four things.
Speaker 1: That you do now you have the boppy, the this, the urgo, the that. Yeah, you need all those things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, before nap and or clean up? Yah.
Speaker 1: Last two questions, any advice you're giving to your kids as do either of do any of the four of them have a birthday coming up?
Speaker 3: Oh, my daughter's birthdays coming up?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: How old is she going to be?
Speaker 3: She's gonna be seven?
Speaker 1: Okay, what are what's the advice you would give your seven year old daughter.
Speaker 3: Right now? Relax on the attitude towards mom.
Speaker 2: No, we're we're we're in so many conversations right now, like this has been a very strange age.
Speaker 3: Death is getting talked about a lot. Yeah, sure, sure sure, gender is being talked about a lot.
Speaker 2: It's even something is so small, Like, my daughter loves to play handball, loves it.
Speaker 3: Comes home from school, can he wants to.
Speaker 2: Play handball and I won't play handball fifteen minutes and then she goes into his homework and then does handball more.
Speaker 3: She plays at school.
Speaker 2: She's the only girl that plays handball, and all the other girls make sure to let her know that they all think it's weird that she's playing handball with the boys. And so it's like hard to like walk this line of like don't let people shame you into who you're gonna be. She has a saying, I don't remember where we got it from, but don't yuck mym Yeah, And we do that a lot, which is great because then they'll call us out on that. The advice that we're just giving is like, be proud of.
Speaker 1: Who you are, love that what about you?
Speaker 3: Evan.
Speaker 4: I would tell my son and both my kids, I would tell them, like, don't rush out of being a kid. Like my son is just getting to the point where it's like why do you get to do this kind of stuff?
Speaker 3: And I don't and like these kinds of things, and I.
Speaker 4: Sometimes just remind him, like, because you're eight, be in love with being eight, because the longer life goes, there's more responsibility and the harder it's gonna feel. Don't rush out of being a kid. Just enjoy being a kid and the stuff you get to do as a kid.
Speaker 3: I will say this too. I pierced my ears when I was like nineteen or twenty something like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and ever since then, I wore earrings for a while, just liked the look of it, and then kind of stopped. And then ten years I've just worn a little silver hoop in like my left ear. Thought it looked cool, and then after a while, like I never even thought about it anymore.
Speaker 3: I've just never taken it out.
Speaker 4: Basically never even thought about it, to the point where my son, for his eighth birthday was like, ohn to pierce my ear. He's wanted to pierce one ear And I was like okay, And I had hesitation of him doing that. My wife kept going like why are you hesitating? And I was like I don't know why. It wasn't like I was worried about whose people were gonna do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I had them. He got it pierced.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. Does he love it?
Speaker 4: He loves it, absolutely loves it. We went together, we all went as a family. I held his hand because he was really nervous about it, of course, and then yeah, they're gonna put a hole in your body.
Speaker 3: It's gonna gets it.
Speaker 1: With a needle gun thing. Yeah, that is awesome.
Speaker 3: It was like my wife.
Speaker 4: The more and more we had conversations about it, I was like, I don't know what I'm I'm I'm probably doing this thing where I'm like protecting against what people are gonna say about him, and I don't want him to get his feelings hurt or something. But like the more I thought about that, I was like, that's that's I shouldn't be doing that. If he wants to explore who he wants to be and how he feels about things and how he wants to present himself, let's do that at a younger age so he can figure himself out. So now when I see him change it out and pick a different one or whatever he wants to wear to school, and like all of his friends, he's like, I see how happy he feels that he got to do it and how it makes him feel to change it out and go to school, and he's like, oh, my friends kept going around behind my ear to like check if it.
Speaker 3: Was real because they didn't believe it was real.
Speaker 1: So cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so then it was like, oh, that's so happy that he did it.
Speaker 1: Okay, finish this sentence and I'll let you go. Evan will start with you. Parenthood is.
Speaker 3: A circus of emotions.
Speaker 1: I love that we haven't had that yet, Okay, Kevin, parenthood is.
Speaker 2: Parenthood is the hardest reward you'll ever earn.
Speaker 1: Haven't had that yet either. Gentlemen, you are lovely and I'm so glad I know you in real life too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you so much for a really.
Speaker 1: Good effect on Adam Shapiro, because he's the best, but he also.
Speaker 3: Is like we'll keep working on him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like work on him, guys, like work on him. I love him so much.
Speaker 3: Hey, listen, he's a fantastic guy. We learned a lot.
Speaker 1: We love he is a fantastic guy. Really glad you've all cross paths. Thank you so much for being on Katie's crib. Everybody listened to dumb Dad's podcast. Also, guys, tell us all the different arenas and areas we can find dumb Dad's material.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok.
Speaker 4: We are at the Dumb Dads for the Dumb Dads on YouTube, and we are currently rebuilding our LinkedIn but that should be available pretty soon.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, such a huge fan and what a great resource. And if anything, you learn a lot, but you laugh a lot at everything you guys are putting out there.
Speaker 3: So thank you, oh, thank you so much for having me. Awesome.
Speaker 1: Thank you guys so much for listening to today's episode. I want to hear from you. Let's chat questions, comments, concerns. Let me know. You can always find me at Katiescrib at shondaland dot com. Katie's Crib is a production of Shondaland Audio in partnership with iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from Shondaland Audio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.