Speaker 1: The college basketball Tournament is down to the final four and all roads lead to that final NCAA Championship game at State Farm Stadium on Monday in Glendale, Arizona.
Speaker 2: Look, there's been.
Speaker 1: Upsets, comebacks, rivalries, and huge moments so far.
Speaker 2: There's been the thrill in it all.
Speaker 1: But if your bracket is a bust, well you're not the only one. DraftKings They've got your back. You can still experience the thrill of live betting and wager on the rest of the games in the tournament. Who do you think is going to win it all? And cut down the nets. You can make your picks now on DraftKings. All new customers who bet just five dollars will unlock one hundred and fifty dollars and bonus bets instantly using code Bullyball. That's right, New customers can bet just five dollars. You get one hundred and fifty dollars and bonus bets instantly. Download the DraftKings app. Sign up now you can use my code bullyball. The crown is yours.
Speaker 2: What's that? Bullyball?
Speaker 3: Fan?
Speaker 1: Concert season and festival season are fast approaching, and whether I'm going to the desert for Coachella or seeing Bruce Springsteen at the Forum. I'm ready to go with buying my tickets with just two clicks in seconds using the game Time app. Game Time prides itself. I'm being customer centric and finding the best prices for tickets so I don't have to worry or stress when I'm planning a good time. When I pick tickets, I can actually see the real seat. It's a panoramic photo. It's not digitally created. So when I pick my seats, I can see a band on stage, people in the crowd. I can really envision how my experience is going to be.
Speaker 2: That's so cool.
Speaker 1: They also have the most flexible customer service. Part of their game Time guarantee is event cancellation protection twenty four hour returns. Those are guaranteed.
Speaker 2: They also have job assurance. This is so cool.
Speaker 1: They understand life and the unexpected happen, so if you get tickets and you find yourself without a job, they actually have your back. And they have the best prices on last minute deals. I've seen them up to sixty percent off. They present and provide upfront pricing without any hidden fees popping up right before checkout. So take the guesswork out of buying tickets on game time. Download the game Time app. You can use my code Bullyball for twenty off your first purchase. Terms apply, of course, but create an account redeem the code Bullyball. Download the game Time APT today, last minute tickets, lowest price guaranteed. Welcome to Bullyball, presented by DraftKings. I am Rachel Nichols, as always, mister DeMarcus Cousins across the way from me and joining us once again. I love this is becoming regular thing. Mister Rajon Rondo, Welcome. What fabulous locale Are you joining us from dough.
Speaker 3: My home?
Speaker 1: That's a James Bond answer, because people are watching on YouTube knowe that that is not your normal background.
Speaker 2: So I just we're gonna let you keep it a mystery.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying, if you hear some big spy mission that comes off this week, just everyone out there be aware Dough might be involved.
Speaker 2: I don't know, Boogie, you have no plan. This is this disturbs plan today.
Speaker 4: No plan today, man, And it's actually it's all like coming to you know my mind, that is messing up my energy this morning. Dog coming along with it. With his negative energy. My plan is missing. So I'm a little off this morning. So y'all just working.
Speaker 1: We'll have to have to raise that level during the show. Yeah, dope came on and the minute he got on here today he was busting himself.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he on one this morning checks things you said last week that were not so great.
Speaker 5: New week.
Speaker 4: It's a new week, though. You gotta let this next next play mindset.
Speaker 3: Hey man, you made a statement about a player in the league that was supposed to have picked up the assist slack for a player that is injured. So right there, Oh, come on, go ahead, raise my fuck.
Speaker 2: Let's talk a little bit of college ball.
Speaker 1: My friends Alabama, YU Kind, NC State and Purdue in the final four.
Speaker 2: It was quite the weekend.
Speaker 1: North Carolina State Duke was leaning halftime, That's all I got to say. And yet nc stage is now America's sweetheart. What do you make of the big man matchup between Burns and EATI.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think this is coming down to just being an old school type matchup where you got two dominant biggs in the college basketball scene that have been leading the teams all year, two different type playing styles. You know, DJ Burns is a guy that's you know, with his play lately, he's getting a lot of comparisons to Zach Randolph. And you know he's him being a left handed, you know, not as athletic big man, but with a wide base and just the ability to move the opposing defenses with his with his strength and size, that's a matchup nightmare for anybody.
Speaker 5: And then you got the big man EATI and Purdue seven foot plus plus plus.
Speaker 2: That's a lot of plus. That's a lot of plus.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's that's a big matchup. So I think this matchup is going to be one for the ages. I'm I'm really excited for because we're getting back to the foundation of basketball, which is you know, going through the big man.
Speaker 5: I think this is much watch TV.
Speaker 4: I think this tournaments has exceeded expectations, and I'm excited for so looking forward to this matchup.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I feel like Yukon has been so good and so dominant, the whole thing feels a little, you know, like it's lack and suspense for me. Everyone can go do their thing in these games, but we all know Yukon. I mean, man, they are a giant to me, it's almost like the women's matchups have been a little bit more interesting at this stage, at this round, especially with this Elite eight. We've got Monday night Yukon versus USC LSU versus Iowa. Of course that's the rematch Caitlin Clark Angel Reese from last year. But what do you feel like though, when you look at this and this happening this early. Is that a disappointment that they're meeting this early or is it just juiced up a little bit for you?
Speaker 3: I think it keeps it spicy.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: Obviously we won't have to send the rematches last year, but to have it this early on in the in the games, I'm excited for it, especially with injuries, the way she's been talking shit the whole season, She's continued to be a standout. You know, She's handled all the criticisms throughout a whole a couple of years at LSU. So I'm looking forward to the matchup again and I'm excited to watch those ladies play tonight.
Speaker 2: Who you got, bug.
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 4: I'm actually hoping this LSU team can pull it out. You know, I think they've been great for women's sports. I think they've been a great representation regardless of people you know, agree with their playing style or not. You know, I have a lot of similarities when it comes to Angel Rees. You know, the trash talk, the energy she brings, the grit she plays with every night, and.
Speaker 5: Just her being able to accept criticism.
Speaker 4: And play through all this, you know, adversity while being you know, one of the biggest stars in college. I think that's remarkable and I don't think she gets enough credit for it. When they when they entered this stage a couple of years ago, nobody expected it to you know, turn into this and you know, like I said, I think they've been a great representation for women's sports. They've definitely elevated the sport. And I think these young ladies are are you know, a newfound a new age pioneer when it comes to you know, just putting women's sports on this new pedestal. And uh, you know, as of recently, the women's game has been better than the men's game. And that's okay. So you know, credit to these ladies for what they're doing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, look, for me, it's just them being allowed to be as competitive as they should be. I thought all of the crap that Angel Reese took after the National Championship game last year. It's just such bullshit. It's just all about like, oh, women need to be more polite, girls, you know, need to be sportsmanlike that kind of crap.
Speaker 2: I mean, these women are athletes.
Speaker 1: They are doing the exact same thing out there that their male counterparts are doing. You think Angel Reese invented that this is my ring championship sort of thing.
Speaker 2: I mean, come on, no, it's.
Speaker 1: Because men have been doing that for years and years. So to pretend like when she does it, it's some violation of an unwritten rule. Where where do you think she got it from? It just it is blood boiling that these women aren't sort of allowed in the public spirit to be as competitive as they should be allowed to because they are playing a sport. So my hope is that things have evolved enough this past year that whoever wins IOWA LSU can trash talk the hell out of the other person and it's fine with the players. Caitlin Clark said at the time, she goes, please, that's great, we should be competitive.
Speaker 2: Angel's great.
Speaker 1: I have no issue like we're off court friendly, but I just want them to be able to play the way basketball players should get to play. So that is my hope for tonight, for these coming up women's tournament games, is that everyone gets to see them as the standout athletes that they are. All right, guys, big news, Joel Embiid appears to be making a return, may even be coming back as quick as Tuesday night versus okay, see, we'll see. He missed twenty eight straight games. Now, I have to look at where the Sixers are. They're number eight in the East starting out the week seven games left to play, they're two back of the sixth spot, which is of course where they want to be. They want to be out of the plan in what do you guys think, Buggie, where are you on this? Do you think that seven games is enough when you look at the standings here for Joel Embiid to help the Sixers get to number six?
Speaker 4: Well, you know, seventy eighty percent join Embiid is still better than ninety eight percent of the bigs in the league.
Speaker 5: So with that being.
Speaker 4: Said, true, that being said, obviously I think the Sixers are going to get better. They are missing their foundation in the Big Fella. But you know, thinking about it from a realistic standpoint, like, this is a tough task to do. You have seven games regular season. History has shown us that you don't have the greatest conditioning coming back from these type situations. Hey, maybe this situation he approached it a lot differently. He was on a strict diet through this whole time. Maybe maybe you know, maybe he's figured it out, and I hope he has. But from what history has shown us, there will be some type of conditioning issues, and that's expected. You miss that many games, you're sitting for that long. The knee injury isn't something where you can just, you know, go jog down the street the next day and keep your wind up. Those things just aren't aren't realistic things. So I think conditioning will play a part in it. I don't think seven games is enough to prepare you for a playoff atmosphere, especially when you know you're the folk a point of every defense. So that's another challenge in itself. But I do think the sixers will improve. I can't I can't go out on the limit say I think they'll get to the six spot just because he returns. I think there will be some russ like I said, conditioning will be a factor, but the sixers will get better. So I know they're happy about that.
Speaker 2: Dell, what you got.
Speaker 3: Making into the sixth I'm not sure about that making to the six spot, But to me, I don't know if that's the concern. I think they're very confident that they possibly could end up facing Miami in the first round in the playing game. So with them be back, having these seven games to kind of get his feet back underneath them. Obviously he'll be in a minute restriction coming back, so that's going to play a factor. Like again, he's not going to probably finish games. We'll see how they manage his minutes as far as kind of a hockey sub letting them get you know, getting them a little stiff on the sideline. But for the most part, his health is the main concern. I feel like they can get in the playoffs. They're fine with that versus trying to get to the sixth seed by trying to extend his minutes. The guys that's been playing, you know throughout the season without them, it's going to continue to have to step up. And obviously having your best player backs and gives you confidence. Like I said last week. You know, those guys having that experience with him out, you know, guys getting more shots to buy some stepping up. Tyresis shooting the head out.
Speaker 5: Of the ball.
Speaker 3: So it's like those guys still have their confidence, but what they biggerman back, they will be better. But I don't think it's solely a focus gon'n get to the six spot versus having him healthy to go in the first round to possibly play Miami and then end up probably getting Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's the thing. I think you guys are right that it is going to be hard to do.
Speaker 1: I mean, making up two games and only seven to play is I mean, it's very, very difficult.
Speaker 2: Right, But there is such a huge difference.
Speaker 1: Between being in the eighth seed and maybe facing the Celtics in the first round, definitely facing the Celtics in the first round, or being even in the seventh seed and facing Giannis in the Bucks in the first round. Versus is, if you can make it up to that six you're facing some version of either the Knicks or the Cavs with the Magic no matter who of those three teams is. That's a huge step difference from either the Bucks or the Celtics. So I think you guys are right, it's going to be very hard. But I think that is why they are so eager to have him back. And I was just with the Sixers last week talking to Nick Nurse, talking to some of the players, and you know.
Speaker 2: They've been waiting and waiting and waiting for this.
Speaker 1: I just hope that Joel was able to do what they all think he is able to do. Honestly, the reason he was out a lot of this time was because of pressure put on him to play when he was more hurt than he should have been out on the court for. And that is how he agreed, you know, that is how he ended up with a much worse injury. So I'm hoping this isn't the same kind of pressure. I fear a little bit it could end up being that way inadvertently. I am curious from you guys. And we'll talk about a little bit of this with Karl Anthony Towns a little later in the show as well.
Speaker 2: When a guy is quote working his way back, is.
Speaker 1: It for the other guys in floridough like say, say for the other guys there, is it just hey, Joel being out there as such? A presence and he makes the defense change and it's a huge advantage even if he is maybe eighty percent the way book said, or is it that gosh, he's not quite himself and you've been doing this running this other thing. Like from a point guard perspective, what is it like when someone like that comes back.
Speaker 5: To me?
Speaker 3: It's night and day to have you a big fellow back being able to anchor the defense, ankor offense.
Speaker 2: If he's even if he's seventy, he's.
Speaker 3: Still gonna draw double triple teams. You know, he's still you know, continue to be a willing passer, creating the mismatches and then creating close outs. You know, your shooters are getting better shots now Tyres doesn't particularly have to make every particular play down the court, so it takes a lot of pressure off the offense completely. And again with him being seventy percent, like Culs said, it's better than ninety nine percent of the big men in the game. Besides, you know, one or two guys possibly, so you know they're not going to play on one on one. And with that being said, like I said, Earl, he's going to He's going to make these guys have easier shots. So yeah, absolutely, having him back on a different a different flow of the game again, he's going to give his teammates confidence. He's going to give Nick Nurse confidence. So uh, they don't even to be a hundred percent right now. They wanted obviously to see high, high flows and gradually slow to get back to where you were.
Speaker 1: He was playing so well right before he got knocked out, and it's such a shame he had to lose a chunk of this season. We hope good health for everyone in the league and him in particular coming back.
Speaker 2: We'll see how he does.
Speaker 1: I do want to talk about some of those other teams in the East though, because the Knicks, man, I mean, they've got key starters out and yet here they are, they're still challenging for the number three spot. We don't know when Julius Randalla is going to return. He has a dislocated shoulder. Og Anobi was out and then back in and then out again. He was on the floor at practice, but he's not even clear for contact yet with that elbow injury. So we had Josh Hart say postgame on Sunday, we have to approach every game and the end of this season, that these guys aren't coming back, and if they do, we have to be pleasantly surprised. So that cause that quote caused a lot of panic that the Knicks players who are hurt just aren't coming back. If you listen to Josh Hurt, he's a little bit more when he explained, just saying, Hey, that's how I approach every game. But but what do you think of that if they can't get these guys back. I mean, even is it worth having the discussion about what they're doing in the playoffs.
Speaker 2: They're still playing pretty well without especially OG.
Speaker 4: I think this next team is built strictly off toughness.
Speaker 5: One.
Speaker 4: I think Jalen Bronson should be one of the top names when it comes to MVP this season, the way he's been carrying this next team through the ups and downs, Like he just came off of sixty point performance, even though it came with a loss. But this guy has been performing and exceeding all expectations coming into this year.
Speaker 2: You put him in that top five MVP conversation.
Speaker 5: I do? I do? I think he's done?
Speaker 3: Can we get a top five real quick?
Speaker 5: Right now? Let me let me finish my statement.
Speaker 2: In jo but it can't take someone out. That's the problem. Everyone's in the top five.
Speaker 5: Everybody's in the top five until it's time to name the top five. Let me give this guy's flowers? Can I give him his flowers?
Speaker 4: He's been playing incredible, man, he's been leading, Yes, even through injury, missing you know, key pieces to the team and O. G.
Speaker 5: Julius Randall.
Speaker 4: I think he's done a great job leading his team when it comes to Josh Hart's comings.
Speaker 5: So I'm not mad at that mindset.
Speaker 4: If that helps you, you know, meet the criteria every night and come out ready to play like every game matters. I'm cool with that and that being my role player's mindset while our foundational pieces are out. I think that's a great mindset to have because it could carry over and keep things to floating to your stars are able to get back and join the team.
Speaker 1: Well said, Well, answer me this with the Jalen Brunson factor. When you break down how he plays, how successful he's been sixty one points the other night, and yet he's about six feet tall. I mean, what, what do you see the translation into the player?
Speaker 3: They got him listen to this, They got him listen to six two, but I think he's I played at six and to be able to average twenty eight, five and eight in this game. I know the game has changed, its faster faced, but still the way he's able to get into the pain attack shoot a high percentage over forty eight percent from the field. He's definitely been impressive, and I think he's been underrated his whole career and he's okay with that and seeded all expectations, his work ethic, his mindset, and shout out to coach Tibeau. You know, coach said earlier their their defensive mind to hard nosed team and it starts with your coach. So for them to be in a position they are now without their you know, their main guys, Julius randall Og a couple of the guys's been out throughout the season. He's been their rock. They're missed consistent and uh, you know, shout out to Jalen. He's he's a hell of player to watch. I even have my son watch as much as possible. You know, he's the best guard and that I would say he's playing off the two feet and it goes back to when he was telling about how he trained and billing over how he was able to get in the paint and uh, you know, learn how to learn how to pivot. So at that position, maybe behind Kyrie, he's the best post up guard in our game, you know, six feet six two and under. Uh, he doesn't get enough credit for that. Like I said, he's one of the best mit ranger mid range players in the game. So for him to be able to do this at the point guard position, night in night out. I know they've lost the last two, but before that, they've been they've been rolling, they've been hot. So it's gonna be interesting to see how they do the last five six games of the regular season without those guys. But he's a tough load now in the playoffs again, he's been turned up last year. I think he played eleven games last year. He's average twenty eight, five and five. I don't see him slowing down. You know, defenses will uh you know, predicate try to stop there in your entire defense is slow him down. But the sets they run, whether he's able to manipulate the game, I don't see that he's going to. You know, he's going to tail off anytime soon. With his averages in the playoffs. So it's just a matter of his teammates around him being able to step up consistently, you know, night in and night out. And that's why I think that they might you know, tail off and not get the w's because of that. But him his performance, he'll he'll be where he's going to be.
Speaker 1: Does the high thing come into play differently in the postseason with the way No, No.
Speaker 3: No, it's it's just amount of thing. It's a mindset. And again he's done it all season. He's faced every scouting port that he's played against this year is the defense has been predicated to stop him, and he's still putting up sixty you know, forties, thirty. I think he's had twenty nine thirty point games this year. So he's he has a defense figured out. As a matter off, his teammate stepped up and making a big shots when need because.
Speaker 2: That was very emphatic head.
Speaker 5: Not child man, that was great child.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Look, you guys got Orlando in there too. I mean, NEROK has to worry about them. They're they're five in the East as we sit here right now, but they've played so well. They're number two overall in defensive break rating. And I'm just curious if they can get that number three spot or even if they end up in number four, sort of do you see the Magic as a legit dark horse in the East. Do you think they can get out of the first round to do They've got the East standings up here to do what I want to win the title?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, that's there, not to.
Speaker 2: Win the title.
Speaker 1: I just mean, so look at the standings here there right in front of you. You know, they would play the Knicks in the first round if things ended today, and even if those guys switched four or five or even you know, or maybe they end up in the three spot like I just and they play the Pacers. I'm just sort of curious where you guys see this Orlando team. Is it sort of you be they got in the playoffs and good for them, or do you think that they are someone they could win a first round matchup?
Speaker 4: I definitely think first off. When this season is, I think exactly shout out to coach Mo. He's done an incredible job. I think he I think he just got extended right the season is the first thing that you do is extend coach like without a doubt. But I think this is a season for them where it is you know, you know, being excited about their progress this season, but as far as you know, championships, I don't think this team is there yet. I think they are now on the right path as to you know, where their franchise.
Speaker 1: First round, not championships, first round, first round.
Speaker 4: I can see them getting in the first round. But I think they're on the right path. I think they're They've set their foundation, they have their guys moving forward. One of the guys that I've been super impressed with this year who's been through a lot since coming in the league is Jonathan Isaac. He's dealt with a lot of injuries coming in, but man, this dude's playing lights out. Marco, everybody they've played, they've played way over expectations. But uh, I feel like this is just them growing as a young team, and next year and the years to come, that's when we'll start seeing them put things together and players in place to start competing for a championship.
Speaker 1: Well do you think though, that that Orlando's a free agent destination with the way this young team has been playing. I mean, you've got some guys there who they could be interested in DeRozan, Play, Tobias s Buddy heild Lo, they all, they're all kind of going to be floating.
Speaker 5: Out there, especially for those guys.
Speaker 2: Taxes in Florida.
Speaker 4: Yes, if I'm definitely I'm definitely considering Orlando.
Speaker 5: One is it is a tax free state. Two, I mean it's hot.
Speaker 3: Tax rasee every day you wake up.
Speaker 5: For the old bones.
Speaker 3: And again the expectations low media coverage, you won't face a lot of criticism. Expectations aren't you know, the biggest. So again you go into a situation like that where again you got a young coach. The energy is going flowing great through the season, throughout the organization, I mean the culture. He's changed the culture, and I think, you know, you definitely want to be a part of a as a veteran coming in as a OG, coming in a lot of young guys. Everybody's hungry and expectations. You don't have many. You know that there's not much. So when you come in and pass those expectations, it's a winn win situation and getting paid and because they attax read so definitely definitely destiny give me.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be interesting.
Speaker 1: The free agency class this summer is not like you know, it's not like crazy superstars. But I think there will be some move the needle guys, and I think Orlando could be in that derby, so we'll see what happens there. Let's get over to the Western Conference though, guys, because Denver just beat Cleveland by twenty nine points. That was without Jamal Murray, which makes it very impressive. Except also, Jamal has missed five straight is the second injury he's had in his right leg. He's actually missed twenty one games total with some sort of you know, being beat up in one place or another this season, and that is a concern because Denver won last night.
Speaker 2: But guys, they are twelve and nine.
Speaker 1: When Jamal Murray doesn't play, they obviously are not going to be able to win another title without him. And right now you've got okay, see Denver in Minneapolis, all within a game of each other, within a game of each other for the top seed in the standings. I'm curious, there's seven left to play with Denver, we can put the West standings up Heeer as well. What is your level of concern and is it better in some ways if Jamal isn't quite right for them to try to not be in first maybe facing the Lakers, let's say, or the Warriors or one of those other teams in the first round.
Speaker 2: Do they want to drop down to say third?
Speaker 1: And I'm not saying that the Pelicans are slouch or anything like that, but do they I don't know, what do you see for these next seven games?
Speaker 4: Book If they are to be in a position of facing the Lakers or Warriors team with Jamal Murray being out, that's definitely a concern for the Nuggets. Obviously when it comes to those who's teams at the nine and ten spot with the Lakers and Warriors.
Speaker 2: They are their sons and Kevin Durant and Booker, you know.
Speaker 4: I mean there's but it's also where. But even with that being saying, those are three teams that I don't think anybody wants to see in a one game type situation when it comes to, you know, an elimination game.
Speaker 5: But then when it comes.
Speaker 4: To a first round series, these are guys that have seen this time and time again.
Speaker 5: They've been in this position time and time again.
Speaker 4: I'm a I'm a big believer in experience, wins, wins basketball game and championships.
Speaker 5: So Uh, those three teams are full of experience.
Speaker 4: Those teams have champions, those teams have guys that have been there multiple occasions. So uh, if I'm the Nuggets, I'm definitely nervous, especially with my second start being out. That's a lot of pressure on Yolkish to try to carry a team through the first round with matchups like that. If I'm the Nuggets, I wouldn't be mad at seeing the Pelicans team, and I'm to piggyback off of you. It's not that the Pelicans are a pushover. I just rather meet a team with you know, less experience in the playoffs. Like I said, compared to the Suns, Lakers, and Warriors, I think my chances are better a more a younger, more inexperienced team. I think the chances are better, and I think the Nuggets will be able to more sol cruise through that situation compared to facing one of those dominant teams, well not dominant, but more experienced teams, you know, in the first round.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, if I'm Nuggets, I'm looking at the seating. I might try to get to three and kind of what you all said, face the Pelicans, especially if Jamal is where he needs to be and kind of being able to get through the first round with him maybe you know, playing fifty percent of the games and not necessarily using him over thirty minutes a game obviously kind of minute managing them. So but again, if I was to face the Lakers or Warriors, I'm having a little bit of concerns. Even though yolkas playing aways, planning all year, you still I don't think one guy could be those teams, particularly four times before they beat you four times.
Speaker 1: Well that's what's herd though, because there's definitely two schools of thought on this, right is, some people in management or coaching have said, hey, you do want to try to hunt a match up a little bit, especially if you have an injured player or a player coming back from injury. We all know that facing a Lebron James team early in the playoffs when you don't have one of your best players or a limited use of one of your best players is.
Speaker 2: Not the ideal situation.
Speaker 1: However, there are also coaches management out there who will tell you that hunting matchups is a dangerous game and that you might end up, you know, with who you think you're getting in one round, but then you know, something happens at a later round that you don't expect. Your path is different than you thought. You know, I it's bad karma. The basketball guys don't like it. I mean, I could list off all the things. Where are you guys with your head at on whether that would be smart or you just don't mess with fire and you try to win every game and you play what you should play.
Speaker 3: I think you try to win every game. You know, you don't want to have a losing metality or trying to jockey because again the race is too tight, like Phoenix and Sack could both slide den I mean with the ranging schedules from the leak out Phoenix to lose five out of the next eight games and go to nine, you know what I mean. So it's like you can't say, all right, we're going to face we don't want to avoid, we want to avoid the Lakers, but then Lakers mess around to get to the seventh spot, and then it's a different type of seasons. So I would say went out, especially if you don't have the experienced veteran team. Denver has guys that have one, obviously, but there's still be some pieces that they helped win them championship last year, So I wouldn't just say they can just say all right, let's just take a couple of games and we'll figure out where we're going to be. You know, you want to win out. You want to go into the playoffs with the win a mentality. You never want to take any games except me, I mean, except if you're trying to tank for the draft. Is not what we're talking about.
Speaker 1: You agree both because you guys both just said they should try to get to number three, So which is it.
Speaker 3: I don't think they have options like necessarily and that I think Minnesota's will be will fare out, Okay, I think their strengthen schedule. Isn't it the best? Or isn't it's hard because of you know, the remaining schedule. Yeah, and then along with Okac, so I think by default they'll end up even probably getting a third spot anyway, But again, you just never know. Seven games left and everybody's a half game behind each other, and it would be interesting.
Speaker 2: I'm a certainly a good point. They could end up there anyway.
Speaker 1: And as I said, they're twelve to nine without Jamal, so if he keeps missing games, they're going to not win a chunk of their games.
Speaker 2: That's just the way things have been.
Speaker 1: I mean, Minnesota is in an interesting spot too, because they would like to get the number one seed in the West. They have an eight and four record without Cat. Now, they did lose to Chicago yesterday, but these things happen. Do you think that they if they go without Cat in the first round and I have a hard time thinking he's he's certainly not going to be Cat even if he's back, and he might not come back until midway or even toward the end of the first round, do you think that without him they can still make a run?
Speaker 5: Bog?
Speaker 1: I mean, what if they face the Lakers in the first round, how do you see that matchup going?
Speaker 2: See what I did there? You think this job is easy? It's I think this.
Speaker 4: I think this team he will seem has the pieces to still get through the first round. Obviously, the matchup matters. I'm a I'm a big fan of nas Read. I think he comes in Obviously, he's not going to produce at the same rate as Cat right now. I think, you know, later on in his career we'll see a guy putting up big numbers.
Speaker 5: But as of right now.
Speaker 4: He's not quite there yet, but he's not a bad, uh you know, replacement for Cat. I think he can step up and feel that voyd for this team in his absence. So I think it comes down to the matchup. If it is a Lakers team, it could possibly get a little shaky for him. I think AD they go down, I think Ad becomes real relaxing knowing that Cat isn't on the other end of the floor.
Speaker 5: So I will I will give though his credit. He said that.
Speaker 1: I don't know before court buttonless push, but it was like absolutely they would still win without Cat.
Speaker 2: Anthony Wards.
Speaker 4: On the Lakers to guard Anthony Edwards. But that's that's another topic. But man, I like the pieces that are around Anthony Edwards and Cat. I think it's some young, undiscovered talent on this team. We'll see how this plays out. But I mean, for me, it comes down to what team they end up matching up with if they have to worry about coming out of the first round.
Speaker 3: That Laker matchup though, yeah, I mean without Cat. The Laker matchup without Cat, I don't I don't see them getting it done, not only offensively, you know, you missing twenty three and nine. But the defensive president as well, you know what I mean, Like I said, they are the number one. He was the rating team the league.
Speaker 5: Who's defense was.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's so I just everything doesn't stand out talking about having having him two big boys, and I mean, I know how many years is not.
Speaker 5: Been the league.
Speaker 3: That sounds right, okay, but again Cat's president can't go over fifty any given and with that, with that off the floor, true, that's who with that off the floor, I just don't see that ratings, you know, off of the scoring power with Anthony Edwards. Again, he's gonna be tough to stop. And you can double triple team all you want, but getting the legas first round be a problem. Now they get they get a different look. Possibly they could face someone else and they might have a chance.
Speaker 1: But I just feel like you're right, that matchup is problematic specifically just because of all the length on the Lakers. You know, if they are faced off against the Warriors or the Suns or some of these other teams early, I just think the matchup is different. And I do believe in Anthony Edwards and Rudy Gobert. I know he's not your favorite person, but Cousins, but he is going to win his fourth Defensive Player of the Year award this year.
Speaker 3: I mean, they are on depensirating team in the league, and I think because he's not in any of the top categories. He's got in block steels, but.
Speaker 1: I mean, he's like the runaway favorite. If you look at the betting odds, it's ridiculous. It's great, and you know that's going to be his fourth and I think Ben Wallace and.
Speaker 2: Hakeem are the only players who've ever done it that before.
Speaker 1: I just think that to book your larger point, I think that I think that that this team, even without Karl Anthony Towns, should get credit for still being extremely dangerous. It's just they might not be dangerous when they face a matchup like LA. So yes, we'll see what happens there. I don't know which of these teams do you think needs home court advantage the most? If you think about all the playoff teams in either conference, who will be helped the most by home court advantage?
Speaker 5: I think the Clippers. For me, yeah, I think the Clips.
Speaker 3: Clippers.
Speaker 5: Yes, in that four or five spot, I think that matters.
Speaker 3: Okay, seem.
Speaker 2: Okay, see he's good just because they're young and that building's.
Speaker 3: Crazy, Yeah, just because of young experience like that. The role players play that at home versus a role I mean, everybody's us.
Speaker 2: Except the Warriors.
Speaker 1: Last year, the Warriors couldn't win a game on the road, right, and then today or sorry, this year there are road.
Speaker 2: Records much better than their home records. So who knows.
Speaker 1: I like I like the okay, see pick, that's good. I like the Clippers pick too, though, because they need help. All right, let's go to three stats. You know what time that is to truth in a lietime, my friends? Oh yes, Nate. Nate keeps putting these in so late that I haven't seen them yet. So let me read these a lot to you and we'll go through this journey together. And he's doing that on purpose, by the way, because he does not want me to know what it's going.
Speaker 2: To be said.
Speaker 1: Okay, see top five and defensive rating that is one stat. Stat number two the Spurs lead the league and blocks per game. Number three Luca leads the leads in turn leads the league in turnovers per game. I don't know what do you guys think of those three stats?
Speaker 2: Do you start us out. What are the two truths and what's the lie?
Speaker 3: Uh? I think Luca does lead the league of turnovers.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 3: Winby leads league in blocks, but is that Does that mean that Spurs lead the league in blocks? I'm stunned on this one. And okay see, top five defensive rating teams.
Speaker 2: But you got anything.
Speaker 5: I feel like they're all the truth and at the same time, they're all alive.
Speaker 3: I want to say, okay, I'm gonna go with okay see.
Speaker 4: I want to say, okay see's the truth, and I'm gonna say Luca leading the league in turnovers, it's also true, Spurs lead the league in blocks is false?
Speaker 2: What do you got, Doe? What do you think?
Speaker 3: I'm gonna go with the last two are true? Okay see, it's not top five. You know you're the best team in the league. Yeah, I'm gonna say that. I'm gonna say, okay see's not top five.
Speaker 1: My tiebreaker is I think the Spurs one is the live for producer Nate, you get in here, what do you think?
Speaker 2: What do you got for us?
Speaker 1: Yes, there we go. Producer Nate has spoken, bok. How do you feel about your victory? This is like you those courts sight interviews like you worked hard, cousins, you worked hard. How did it feel to achieve this win over vershon Rondo?
Speaker 4: Man, I hit this long stretch towards the end of My teammates just really picked me up and helped me get over that hump, and you know I was just able to, you know, pull this game out for us, and.
Speaker 5: You know, it really really feels good to be right.
Speaker 1: Let's go on to I'll take that bet presented by DraftKings. MVP adds they're getting a little bit interesting, guys. DraftKings still has Jokic far and away the favorite minus seven hundred. The next we see is Luke up there. He's plus five hundred. But man, the internet does not agree. Luca played in that game last night. I think he dropped what thirty two in the first half, and people went nuts. If this doesn't win.
Speaker 2: An MVP, I don't know what the voters are thinking.
Speaker 1: That was definitely the feel across the fan base last night.
Speaker 2: Where are you guys on this?
Speaker 1: When you look at what Yokich has done this year, Luca, the Mavericks are now in fifth in the Western Conference. We've had m vps as low as six Russell Westbrook I voted for him that year, even though Oklahoma City was a sixth place team. To me, what Russ did that year, the year after Katie left, the way he won all those clutch shots that he hit. I think he was top in the league and clutch shots that year, he was the MVP to me. So I understand the people who feel like g they might be in fifth place, but Luca is their MVP.
Speaker 2: Where Jo Kich? What he has done this year, you know, he makes it look so easy. Where are you, guys?
Speaker 3: I think people are getting bored with Yokich numbers. He's putting up like it's normal and disrespectful at the same time, again because he still has to go out and performing tonight. Like I said earlier, every defense is predicated on how to slow him down. They still haven't figured out the answer to that. And give hims credit, He's had historical numbers. I've seen the cult that came out of the about Tony KUKUKX, comparing them to with a Sabonus and somebody else that was I mean, like I said, that's just more the disrespect of what he's done in this game, and it was able to manipulate and down the game you're blocked. So it's just until you can top those numbers. Along with his team being you know, jocking in one, two three spot in the West, it's just tough to put, you know, these numbers over over Lucas and credit to Lucas. Have been a lot of MVP snubs throughout our game, our history of the game, and that's part of it. But nevertheless, I got to.
Speaker 5: Go with Joker.
Speaker 3: He's still he's still running the show. He's still the best player in the game, and he's he's been showing it. He's been dominating for years and it's come off a championships. So until you take it from him, I don't think he's done enough to take it. And Jokers might VP.
Speaker 5: I'm not mad at that.
Speaker 4: I actually agree with everything you know Doe said speaking on Jokic, But uh, you know, for me, I think I think it's two guys that have you know, played at a higher level than the Jokic, which is kind of crazy to even here or say, but uh, that's Luca and Sga. For me, when it comes to Luca, I think we all know what Luca does. You know, since he stepped foot in this league, he continues to dominate. He continues to put up big members, He continues the league, you know, his team on a yearly basis, So I feel like that can't go unnoticed. And uh, I think with the way SGA has performed, nobody expected Okay See to be this type of.
Speaker 5: Team this year.
Speaker 4: Not only are they, you know, a real contender, but they're doing it in the West. In the West, this is probably the best the West has been in a few years. Like from top to bottom, it's every team is you can lose on a night basis. So, but SGA to be dominating the way he is in the West, leading his team the way he is, I just I don't feel like that can go unnoticed.
Speaker 5: On top of that, he's playing on the other side of the ball as well.
Speaker 4: I don't think when it comes to, you know, the MVP conversation, I don't think that gets brought up enough.
Speaker 5: A guy that plays on both sides of the ball.
Speaker 4: And it's no knock to Jokic, but we know he's going to dominate on the offensive end on a nightly basis.
Speaker 5: The same thing goes to Luca. We know he's going to dominate offensively when.
Speaker 4: It comes to those guys playing on the other side of the floor, it's not quite the same conversation. So I feel like SGA has to get a little more credit for not only dominating offensively and leading his team in the West, but also being dominant on the defensive side of the ball with leading the league and still so I think that has to be considered. So I think I'm rolling more so with Luca and Sga compared to Jokic. And it's no knock to Jokic, Like, like, I agree with everything you know Doe said, but for me, those two guys have performed at a higher level.
Speaker 2: M Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Part of it comes down to what I've been talking about for years, if it really depends on what you think MVP is. And to me, we need more of a standard for our most important award. You know, I've always said we should have something like the NFL has, like the NHL has for goal scoring. We should have some sort of best stats, best season award that kind of says, wow, these guys stats are otherworldly. That is not always necessarily the most valuable player, right, and again this goes back to say, I mean the Russell Westbrook, you know, MVP from years ago. I voted for him because he was definitely the most valuable to his team that year. Kevin Durant leaving left that organization, that fan base, that franchise just sort of reeling the idea that Russ picked everybody up, he got them to where they got them. He was the centerpiece during games, he was hitting all these clutch shots. He had a couple just sort of signature outings. To me, felt like the most valuable player as opposed to the best stats that year. And some years those are the same people, right, whoever's putting up the best stats is definitely the most valuable player. Some years it's not, though, And I don't I don't know. I couldn't say yet if this is one of those years or not. But you look at what Luca has been doing, seven game winning streak that they're on, you know, it's so impressive. To your point about SGA, they just wouldn't be there. They would not be maybe even in the playoff picture if it wasn't for them much less fighting for the number one overall seed. And then you go back to Yokic, it's not like Denver would be where they are without Yokich either, And I don't know if that's just we're so used to it, right, So like every argument that you give, like oh, Luca pushed them to a great streak and he's put up numbers or SGA, they wouldn't be there without him.
Speaker 2: Well that's all true about Nicola also, So it's just I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think this is this is actually a little bit of a tougher MVP race than people have given it credit for. I think once Joelle went down, people were like, eh, Jokic the runaway winner. I think there is momentum building for some of the other candidates and it's going to be interesting.
Speaker 2: Friends, you can.
Speaker 1: Catch all episodes of Bullyball in the DraftKings Network. You can catch us on the All the Smoke Productions YouTube channel. You can get these guys recommendations for smoking products privately, and you can listen to us wherever you get your podcast.
Speaker 2: We will catch you next week. Please rate us, please rep you us. Always great to have you with us. We'll see I'll say.
Speaker 5: H m hm, m
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.