Speaker 1: Twelve of the NFL's finest quarterbacks have left the comfort of their stadiums and luxury suites for the adventure of a lifetime. These grid Iron heroes are used to leading their teams on the field, but can they outplay, outlast, and outthrow each other in the ultimate survival challenge?
Speaker 2: Late everything you have with the gobine tie you, we find a way to win.
Speaker 1: The No matter what, the stakes are high and the competition is fierce, only one can claim the title of the ultimate survivor. Who will rise to the top and who will be sacked?
Speaker 3: They wrote me off, I ain't right back, though, that's the problem.
Speaker 2: I'm right back. Let's go.
Speaker 1: This is Quarterback Island.
Speaker 2: It is Quarterback Island.
Speaker 4: Feel it.
Speaker 2: Welcome to NFL Daily, where it's always island time. I'm Greg Rosenthal here in the Chris Westling podcast studio, so lucky to be joined for this special Quarterback Island edition of NFL Daily by Steve Weiss, an original voter of course Back Island, Jordan Rodrigue of The Athletic, and Colleen Wolfe, whose tension I can feel from here.
Speaker 5: Hey, I feel super not stressed today, but I was just thinking that Wes would absolutely love this segment, especially just from the Tybee Island.
Speaker 2: Of it all.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, this is so perfect.
Speaker 3: I'm excited about it.
Speaker 2: It is and Colleen's asking for what are the rules, and it's like it's like.
Speaker 4: Being pressed out.
Speaker 6: It's more of a state of mind.
Speaker 2: But for the listeners that missed the show that we did in the middle of August, we did vote on twelve quarterbacks who would be the original members of Quarterback Island. In my mind, they are the twelve quarterbacks who define the position when you vote for him, and today we're going to decide who stays and who goes.
Speaker 7: The timing is everything too, as Greg and I have gone back and forth on the.
Speaker 8: Lost several weeks.
Speaker 7: Four game sample size right now, But Colleen, you should know that you can attach meaning to different quarterbacks based on reputation, based on situation that they're in. Quarterback Island is not just a wonderful place, a legitimate geographic location, but also an idea of what to strive for.
Speaker 8: Okay as a quarterback?
Speaker 5: All right, yeah, Because I'm sitting there and I'm like, well, is this based on their performance through the first four weeks of the season, is this based on just who they are as a quarterback up until this point, the carryover from us before.
Speaker 6: Oh yes, is this like?
Speaker 5: But then that gives me it's a different list for every type of category.
Speaker 7: I'm gonna be fine, fly free, Colleen, Quarterback Island.
Speaker 9: Just picture this picture of body Water quarterback elandrib is next to Revis Island, right, Okay, bigger, okay, okay, all right.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I think the first thing we should do is introduce who are on the island, the original original members, and yes, uh let's bring in their names. Patrick Mahomes, Josh Allen, Joe Burrow. This is a no order, Jack Prescott, Jared Goff, Rock Purdy, Jalen Hurts, Matthew Stafford, Lamar Jackson, c J. Stroud, Jordan Love into a tongue of islok. And I thought one way to start because what I want to do here, you know, we're four weeks into the season and it is kind of balancing, like, okay, what they've looked like, what we think is their fault, what's not their fault is I'm going to throw out seven guys right off the top that I think should just stay on the island.
Speaker 6: We'll just start there.
Speaker 2: I don't know if there's going to be a lot of debate about these guys or either way. But then we can talk about these guys either way, because they deserve to be talking about it. So here are my seven guys that you can vote at the end. Tell me basically at the end of these guys, like, if you disagree that they should stay on the island, okay, Josh Allen, Patrick, Mahomes, Lamar Jackson, and Joe Burrow, c J Stroud, Rock Purdy in Matthew Stafford, those seven to me should stay on the island. And I was thinking there wasn't gonna be a lot of debate about these seven. Oh, but I'm already seeing that I had shaken over there.
Speaker 9: Matthew Stafford, what he's got two touchdown passes. He's got as many touchdown passes as Jacoby Brissett. Okay, let's talk about he's still on the island.
Speaker 2: Jordan. This is one of the reasons why I wrote him on my on list, because I just felt like, Jordan covers this man.
Speaker 7: Closes already separating himself from them, and respects.
Speaker 6: Him a lot.
Speaker 2: Was like, of course, we're keeping Matthew Stafford on the Island. Yeah, you're making a face and some of the some of the analytics aren't great for him pff, which is not analytics. It's more of a grading of play to play. I was shocked they had him like twenty fifth twenty sixth if you look at turnover where he plays big time throws. I'm I was kind of shocked he had like a three to five ratio of He hasn't had that many big time trists.
Speaker 6: I mean to me, he has, I thought he has.
Speaker 2: I know that's where where That's why I'm saying none of this is perfect there. You can go by a bunch of different metrics. You can go by the eye test. To my eye test, he's still playing at a very high level.
Speaker 7: I use the same logic that I used to say yes to Bruck Purdy being on the island. Just invert the inversion of it, which is I'm not going to punish a player who's playing at a high level for what is going on around him.
Speaker 8: That it is one of my most Yeah, especially, I'm not going.
Speaker 3: To do that.
Speaker 7: Some people, and I won't say who, but some people might punish people.
Speaker 2: Are you getting after me? The guy on your left there, Why is the one trying to take him up?
Speaker 7: Stafford is so I will say, like if you if you watch his film now, this last game, the loss at Chicago, that got a little tricky, there was a couple of big time drives from him that throw a DeMarcus Robbins in the middle of the field is one of them. But this situation with Matthew Stafford, I think he's playing especially in consideration of what's happening around him. He is playing at an extremely high level in consideration of missing Cooper Cup, missing Pukakua, having no timing with these guys who are now thrust into the one and two spot, which is a completely different role than they were playing as.
Speaker 8: The three and four.
Speaker 2: Steve.
Speaker 7: He's playing with a rookie center and left guard who couldn't even make the team for the first two years after being a third round pick, and there's been so much reshuffling and different game planning. The one constant of this team has been Matthew Stafford's play. And again difficult day against a great pass defense in Chicago. Should have run the ball more, but they absolutely three of the four games. First four games this season, Matthew Stafford has played at a extremely high level, and particularly in consideration of all of the chaos that's going.
Speaker 6: On around And I agree, I agree with all that.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 9: But he's played competitively, he's played well. He's coming to the fight with a butter knife. I'm just saying there's other people who have played better regardless of their circumstance.
Speaker 2: Right, Because if we're not going to punish people for good circumstances, we maybe can't give too.
Speaker 7: There are very few circumstances this bad that have started out this bad in week one and week two. That's when they start losing all of their line and all of their receivers. Like this started out terribly immediately. So I'm not even comparing the disasters here. I'm more saying this, this quarterback is lifting this offense as much as he can.
Speaker 5: It feels like, you know, his stay on the island could be coming to an end if they in you in this direction. It's like he's got a really bad sunburn on the island.
Speaker 3: I'm just looking at someone you're you're gonna put off.
Speaker 2: Okay, you're saying, dak, I'm just saying no, I'm those are just guys. This we're supposed to be guys that we didn't need like a long discussion about whether they're on or off. Yeah, and I love That's one the thing about Quarterback Island. You never know what kind of reverses are going to pop up that we.
Speaker 6: We jumped right into it with Stafford. But you may make a point.
Speaker 2: And what if I mean if we got really crazy and things are a little dark there in LA right now, I mean, what if he got kicked off rams Island?
Speaker 7: That yeah, I mean, I'm just saying, Colleen, I think you bring up a really good point in that. It is like I think he's on the island. In four games from now, he might not be. And we're looking at this four games at a time.
Speaker 4: Witch is getting and I'll bring him back.
Speaker 3: I'll bring him back.
Speaker 6: You never know, he could.
Speaker 3: I'll bring him back.
Speaker 2: He could. He could come back if we need to kick someone off here. But let's let's do an early vote. Everyone. Hold up, if you're watching on YouTube, we do have placards that are very tropical. But I want you to say, say your vote. I vote that yes, Stafford stays on the island.
Speaker 5: I think he's on, but he's on short notice here this is on turned upside down, so.
Speaker 7: You haven't know they're going to send him out for they're going to send him out for cigarettes.
Speaker 6: In a minute, we have voted you Stee, he's on.
Speaker 2: Before we move on, just from these guys, because look, this is more than half of QB Island, and I think they deserve to be talked about. Uh Colleen like Mahomes, Purdy, Stroud, Burrow Lamar Uh any one of these guys, Josh Allen, like any any one of these guys kind of stuck out to you this year as someone you've enjoyed watching doing something surprising. I don't know you want to give some love to.
Speaker 5: I mean, if we're going to talk about a quarterback who I've enjoyed watching and who has been surprising, but I don't think he's it's so hard to say that he's already earned a spot on Quarterback Island, but Jade and Daniels has been.
Speaker 2: Hold that hold hold from this group of guys.
Speaker 6: I just wanted to give like Purty some love.
Speaker 9: For instance, I was about to say, what about his circumstances we talk about Stafford, Party's.
Speaker 3: Got to be on there for the same reason.
Speaker 7: In the same logic, right, Yeah, I agree, I agree, and he's on it. Us. I was reading, you know, digging a little bit deeper into the stats on this because he has been shut up, because we have we have been discussing brock Perty in this context, especially, Oh, what's he gonna do when he doesn't have McCaffrey, When he doesn't he didn't have Kittle for a game.
Speaker 8: You know, what's he gonna do without Debo? It's interesting.
Speaker 7: So he has a league high eleven hundred and thirty passing yards this season. Just twenty six point four percent of those yards have come from after the catch. So that's the lowest rate of any qualifying quarterback in a season in the next gen stats there. So remember the conversation about Perty was get the ball to his playmakers and let them create the yards for him, sort of stat padding, that kind of a thing.
Speaker 8: That was a big argument that that year.
Speaker 7: But now he's creating those yards himself. To a limited cast that includes Brandon Ayuku's not does not look like all the.
Speaker 2: Time, right, I think he is playing did best football of his career. I think he's playing top five football.
Speaker 3: I would agree in.
Speaker 2: Terms of how he's playing this year, he'd be ahead of a handful of guys on on that are already locked in Mahomes being one, which is crazy to say, uh almost everyone. Like he's still tops and yards per attempt by like half a yard, which is like, okay, the forty nine ers off and still getting. But just the eye test you mentioned, like his air yards for this season, he has a couple hundred more than anyone else in the league. And you can just see it. He's extending plays, he's throwing the ball deep. I think he's gone to another level. So just just shout out to brock.
Speaker 3: Bart he's got umbrella on the island.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's it's wild, Like I didn't want that.
Speaker 2: Perhaps one thing I think people that were a little bit of a Brock doubters like myself when he was first coming on the scene, is like forgetting how young he is, that he can develop and continue to improve, just like highly touted you know, players like Joe Burrow Can and c. J.
Speaker 6: Stroud love watching him play. Mahomes.
Speaker 2: I just wanted to kind of bring up as part of this exercise, so we all just agreed that he went on, but like he's not playing that well. I thought he had his best game on Sunday, so that helped, like solidify. I don't think he would have been at risk going off the island. He's managed games very well. But like, is Patrick Mahomes playing that well well? I think you can take a little bit of the situation out and say, like I've seen him in bad situations before, and even to that standard, I don't know if he's playing like that well like crazy.
Speaker 5: No, I mean I think that it's Mahomes. I mean Lamar and even Burrow with the carryover. For me, that's like those guys have to stay on the island because of their body of work. But obviously Mahomes has not been the same type of player this year and it's affecting everyone. We did see Kelsey get a little bit more involved this week, which was good, but now with Rashie Rice going down, like they're really going to have to rely on Xavier Worthy going forward, and I just they're already having issues now as it is, you rely on Kareem Hunt, right.
Speaker 2: It was nice to see him go down the field a little bit. That was actually the longest touchdown fast he had had in a long time.
Speaker 4: In terms of why are you doing that before?
Speaker 2: No, I just want to give some stats just to put in context. Twenty second in completion percentage over expected. This is Patrick Mahomes twelth andy eleventh and success right thirteenth at PFF. I just wanted to get a broad spectrum that if six touchdowns, five interceptions seventeenth in QBR. So if this was someone else just looking at the statistical profile, he would kind of be on the borderline of.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's just the beauty.
Speaker 7: It's quarterback Island, though, because we kind of do grandfather certain players in because that's they they deserve. That is yeah, But also, okay, I have you guys tell me if I'm crazy and listen first before you do that.
Speaker 8: Like, there's a I have this weird.
Speaker 7: Theory that I've sort of been marinating on about what's going on with the Chiefs offense right now because there obviously there's a lot of new receivers and a lot of new players, and they're trying to figure out how to play the best football that they can. Understanding they're probably going down the stretch. Yet again, my theory, you're seeing some of the underneath stuff. You're seeing some of them try different things with different receivers and just different drop back footwork and combinations things like that. I think they're kind of in the middle of onboarding these guys, like to where you're through that you're getting them adjusted with specifically Mahome. You don't need any more reps with Kelsey, like you you understand what that what that's going to look like when the time comes for him to really turn the gas.
Speaker 2: I think they look at September tryout.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so that's what that's really what I that's my theory of what I think is now obviously you don't want to lose a receiver during that time, and we'll see if they make a move here. But I think it's really that's sort of my suspicion, like Andy Reid's in the lab, but like in public in front of everybody, right, hmmm, I like that one.
Speaker 6: I think that's true.
Speaker 9: Yeah, And their O line play hasn't been great, just like last year. I mean last year we're getting twenty seven penalties a game. They clean that up, I mean, so they'll they'll figure it out. But just not having some of these receiving weapons is going to be an issue.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think Belichick defensively, would use the first part of the season to try a lot of different things and see who's stuck. And now Andy Reid he's always done that. He did that in Philadelphia.
Speaker 9: Oh.
Speaker 2: I remember back on when I worked at Pro Football Talk, I would say, this guy's the like he's like an offensive revolutionary. And everyone hated Andy Reid back then just because he couldn't get over the hump. Now he's finally one of the greatest coaches of all time. Okay, so we've got our seven guys on again, Josh Allen, Mahomes, Lamar Burrows, Stroud Stafford Party, they're on. We're just I'm just gonna quickly. I just want to mention some guys I don't think are going to be brought up for nomination today, just just to like give the context of the whole quarterback position. We're not going to go through each team, but Kirk Cousins, it's not going so well in Atlanta.
Speaker 3: R No, not going to be talked to me and I fought for him, so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was on the borderline. Last I just want to throw out that if you did a blind taste test, there was no number like name on the back of the Jersey, and you could say that Andy Dalton's two games would have been four games and you just watched that quality of quarterback.
Speaker 6: I think he's someone we would talk about.
Speaker 8: I would agree, well, not a big enough sample size.
Speaker 6: Which is like exciting.
Speaker 10: I love Darnold and Dalton, so it's very exciting to me that, like, now, all this time later and here we are in the Chris Westling podcast too, what if Andy Dalton maybe this is the year that he's above the Daltons.
Speaker 2: You know that he's above It's only two games. I don't want to get carried away. Trevor Lawrence. We we didn't even really give consideration. He's, you know, at the bottom of the list here right now. Caleb Williams, I'm gonna take the l on pushing for him to be initially on the quarterback Island. I got out voted. Thank you, good you say job guys. Anthony Richardson obviously struggling Deshaun Watson one of the worst quarterbacks, and like, all right.
Speaker 9: Let's hold up, hold up, what about Derek Carr. Okay, maybe it was going to get him drowning last Yes.
Speaker 2: I was even gonna maybe drowning give Derek Carr the respect of maybe we'll even bring him up even though we kind of know.
Speaker 6: But no, I think you're right.
Speaker 5: I texted kerr Orner about this because I was like, all right, who who would you put on the island? And the criteria was performance through the first four weeks, and Carr made the list, okay, which I that was the most surprising to me.
Speaker 2: Of all I mean numbers, the numbers are are still for me blow by the first two weeks, and I actually think he's played better than people gave him credit for the last week. He's just been back to being like a good version of Derek Carr instead of crazy guy.
Speaker 7: I think was the drop was so dramatic. I went through true media filters and I put weeks one to two EPA per drop back and weeks three to four and extrapolated them from each other. And he drops from up at the top, you know, in the top three and weeks one and two to number sixteen. Yeah, through three and four. That's such a significant swing for me that I just couldn't I couldn't vote him.
Speaker 2: On too far from the twelve though now it's not an eye test wise, I actually think he's playing well, still gets a little panicked against pressure. SODA's dared goff a guy we're going to talk about like. But for the most part, even the last two weeks where they've lost, I think he's played well enough to win. They needed a touchdown drive at the end of last week game they got one. Is he the new Dalton scale? He might be.
Speaker 6: We'll see what happens this season.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get let's get to the juicy stuff here before we take a break.
Speaker 6: I want to Oh, we haven't yet.
Speaker 8: Geez.
Speaker 6: I'm just saying.
Speaker 2: Now we're really talking about who's going on, who's going off.
Speaker 6: Let's just kick some guys off to start.
Speaker 2: I think taking idiot vote onto a tongue of Iloa unfortunate injury. So it's unfair to him. But the Jordan rules, we all do we all? Yeah, not much need to be said. Okay, So to hope he's doing good. Uh, I'm gonna nominate Jordan Love to be kicked off no matter what happens.
Speaker 8: I agree with you.
Speaker 6: Let me talk about him first. Let's talk.
Speaker 8: There's just too small of a sample sat so far through through this year. But I so I agree with you.
Speaker 7: On that.
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't want.
Speaker 5: I want Obviously the three interceptions last week, they were bad, and I'm just looking at the one game. But he did play really well against a Brian Flora's defense, which no one else has been able to do yet. Uh, the sample size is pretty small, but the comeback on Sunday was furious in the quarter. So if you could just extrapolate that fourth quarter over all four quarters, it would be different.
Speaker 4: But he's it's tough. I kind of want to keep him on the island though, but.
Speaker 2: Like does he defined the quarterback position? My reason for taking him off more than anything is I think the two games he's played has been pretty erratic. I mean, there were weird games that the field in Brazil was weird and in this game was weird. He's coming off an injury, didn't look totally one hundred percent, but the accuracy was kind of all over the place. So even just judging on those two games, to me, that's not quarterback island material. And then he's not Mahomes. He doesn't have the history either, So is it.
Speaker 5: Fair though to judge him on one complete game, like one game that he can he can.
Speaker 3: Get Jordan rules here.
Speaker 9: I'm I'm introduced, Jordan said, if you've got an injury.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jordan is it is kind of like, uh, it is kind of like one of those actors who also have executive producer credit, Like she's Jeff Propes now, like she's cashing so many different checks here. She came up with the rules and yeah, I think the injury and just a little erratic. Guys have played better than him for the time he's been out there. So are we all in agreement.
Speaker 4: About I think it's unfair.
Speaker 2: Okay, Colleagen's voting, Yeah, I like that. I think she knows she was out voted. It was a safe Yes.
Speaker 7: I understand how this is going to sound. But I'm holding on for Love to make it in the next four games.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, I think that's absolutely fair. Jordan Love could be right after week eight, All right after week eight in Matt Stafford, all right, we are going to take a quick break here. Seven guys are on the island. Two have been voted off, and you know we're not inhumane here. They're going on a nice little sea cruise together and some of them heading back to the mainland to uh in Jordan Love, when we come back, we will talk about who is coming onto the island. Some of the toughest discussions of who might get looted off back on Quarterback Island, the place every quarterback wants to be when their little kids they grow up and they say, I want to move there someday. That is the absolute pinnacle of the profession. Forget the Hall of Fame, forget winning Super Bowls. You just want to be in that group because it's more more attainable. Frankly, I mean these poor guys, Josh Allen Stroud. It's like Mahomes doesn't let him win any super Bowls. But you get on Quarterback Allen, like.
Speaker 5: An overwater bungalow would be like, that's what everyone is trying to nice Boro move exactly.
Speaker 2: Like who's like the sneaky m VP. Just in terms of vibes on the island, do you think.
Speaker 8: Oh, Mahomes for sure, he really brings the beer too.
Speaker 4: I could see that. I feel like Josh Allen is kind of like.
Speaker 8: Allen's in charge of the board game.
Speaker 2: Yeahs, I was gonna say, like Mahomes would be low on my list of like.
Speaker 3: Are completely missing it.
Speaker 9: Joey Burrow, Yeah, that's yeah, you're right, Joe Sisty.
Speaker 2: I was thinking Burrow and Lamar, would Lamar Lamar be fun? They'd all be trying to like impress Lamar just by being cool and stuff. All right, let's uh, let's go to guys we want to nominate onto the Apple to go on the island. I think so unless we want to talk about unless anyone wants to talk about guys that we definitely want to boot off.
Speaker 6: I think all of these dominates is going to be contingent.
Speaker 2: Right now, we have two open spots, so I think if we first thing we can do is put two guys onto the island, like, there are two open spots. So I will leave the floor to who it's. It's like Congress. Just whoever jumps in and wants to nominate, all right, how Congress works, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it is, so I'm sure of it. Right, It's just like Judge Connie. It works, but it all works the same way. I nominate Baker Mayfield, whoa it?
Speaker 3: I love it, I love it, I love it, thank you, I love it.
Speaker 5: Baker Mayfield, who is constantly doubted, is constantly kind of one of those guys where people almost forget about him when they're talking about quarterback play. He has been unbelievable this year and he absolutely deserves a spot on Quarterback Island. When you look at the other guys that are on here that are like Jalen Hurts, I mean, Baker Mayfield one thousand percent has been better than Hurts.
Speaker 4: So he's on.
Speaker 9: Eight touchdowns, two interceptions, He's got one hundred and six point nine pass rate, and it puts him in the top five. Plus his team is leading the division. I think a Baker gets serious. I think the I think that the propeller boat is pushing towards the island.
Speaker 2: Okay, sometimes early and the you want to put everyone on the island, but we just have a lot of other players.
Speaker 3: Okay, could get through. Can I state the obvioence want Sam Darnold?
Speaker 6: Okay, Well, let's let's get through the Baker thing for it.
Speaker 2: She put him up for nomination, So if if we want a table to vote for Baker until later, we can. I think the negatives would be he played one of the worst games I've seen any quarterback play. Yes, in three Annie's Baker Mayfield, and so we've seen the ups and the downs, hold ups, and downs.
Speaker 6: In his career. There's been ups, there's been downs.
Speaker 3: You hit him with Annie's Baker makes.
Speaker 2: What I mean to say is that if you're going to get a spot on the island and you've had a career that's been up and down and you have limitations as a quarterback, I need you to be red hot. I need you to be closer to what Sam Darnold is. I need you to not have that Week three blemish kind of dragging down some of the numbers in some of my.
Speaker 4: Second the league and passing touchdowns?
Speaker 5: Is that a good metric if you're measuring quarterbacks passing touchdowns?
Speaker 6: It's okay. I mean I definitely prefer others.
Speaker 7: He just misses the island in terms of EPA per drop back at thirteen.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 7: However, However, like I gotta tell you guys this, when this guy wills a win, it's hard to find people who will a team the way that when he goes into like darkness mode and his brain, it does remind me, I mean, they're not the same at all. Reminds me of a staff and he kind of goes full on like serial killer, like I'm going to scratch and claw and fight my way and steal souls for this win. But Baker does it in this way that's like I'm going to put my body on the line for it. Also, so it's you know, I can understand why he has been nominated for Quarterback Island because I've not seen that's just that extra special little it factor for a competitor. But that that game was also one of the I mean that was.
Speaker 2: I also amusing my gut my eye test, and yeah, I just think I think he has he has limitations where he's close, he's on the list, but to put him right on, so.
Speaker 5: Let's take I'll just say that he is the FedEx Air Player of the Week, so he could be taking that plane to the Island.
Speaker 8: I love that for him.
Speaker 2: But yeah, to your point, seventeenth and completion percentage over expected, he's around tenth eleventh like an EPA and stuff. But I think they're doing a good job coaching around him and not they're playing with his limited I think he just has some limitations where I want to get to some guys who maybe have have fewer limitations.
Speaker 9: Okay, so let's have the slam dunk Sam Donald. Okay, if we're talking to Sam Donald, I.
Speaker 8: Am a full freaking yes, Yea Donald.
Speaker 3: Come on and look at Rosie. What do you you're talking about? Limitation?
Speaker 2: I will I wanted to find out how many, how many? How many spots are open? First of all, like we don't know for now only two spots are open. Would he be that in my top two of guys to put onto the island that are available?
Speaker 6: To know? He wouldn't?
Speaker 8: I have a question what anyone on the island.
Speaker 7: Let's let's permit this is Greg Island now, this deserted island.
Speaker 2: Oh God, nobody wants to be there. It's just it's just like playing like Midski and he doesn't think you know ball j Baker.
Speaker 8: Okay, Greg, just.
Speaker 2: Like a geno highlight reel on Rep's wants to be there.
Speaker 3: Just why he's fighting so hard?
Speaker 8: This is weird, bro uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: Greg.
Speaker 7: Let's let's reframe it though, the argument like, okay, would you rather put either Dak or Jalen Hurts over this first four game stretch over Sam Donald? Because we're actually looking at now taking spots at this point, we're not just looking at which I know that's where Steve and I are coming from. And you know, we're not just looking at taking spots now, we're looking at open spots. Now, we're looking at who will this person potentially replace because we're almost full well.
Speaker 3: And who and taken off taking off two of.
Speaker 2: Love and we're going to go through the guys and maybe we'll do that of who else could possibly be vowed. I think Donald is a nuanced conversation. I think his history matters to me more. And is he sort of defining the quarterback position this year that that's where he wins me over a little bit, Whereas I think he's one of these stories of the year, one of the teams of the year. Do I trust that he's going to be on in four weeks? I don't necessarily. I don't think it's crazy to look at what he's done and think that he's playing really well and the situation has helped him out a lot, and on a throw to throw basis, it hasn't necessarily been like special. He's fumbled four times, that's second in the league. I think that's significant. He has three interceptions, Like if you project those over a course of a season, that's a lot of fumbles. That's a lot of interceptions. Which has been an issue for him over the years. He's great in all the efficiency stats, so he would be on the island easily with most of the efficiency stats. But I think I look at it a little more sometimes like PFF does, which is like a grade on a play to play basis, like how many pluses, how many minuses they have? They have him sixteenth at quarterback, so it's not me saying that or thirteenth in terms of passing, and that's probably where I would have him that. He's probably playing around ten to thirteen. The numbers and the story help, but the history hurts. And that's why to me, he's sort of on the borderline as I want to see how many guys get kicked off and guys get on.
Speaker 9: I get it, But you're talking about projections, so that means you're saying, okay, but justin Herbert, by the end of season time, he should he should be on, like like you're your look, if you're talking about projections, I mean you could throw two on back on there.
Speaker 2: I'm saying even so far, I would not have him in my top like eight quarterbacks or something.
Speaker 7: He'd be doesn't have to be in the top eight, right top twelve twelve.
Speaker 2: But then see, when you're getting into the nether world, I do consider like what good do I think these players actually are and how are they playing? Yeah?
Speaker 6: Right, so we do Sam Donald vote.
Speaker 4: Because you know where I am. I vote no, I vote yes, he's on the island.
Speaker 3: He wants to keep a spot open for Gino.
Speaker 2: So bad Donald is on the island.
Speaker 8: I definitively.
Speaker 7: They don't think that you can describe the first four games of quarterback play in the twenty twenty four NFL season without bringing up Sam Donald in the top three sentences you use to describe quarterback play in twenty twenty four specifically, which is what this topic is about.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I see.
Speaker 3: Even then she stood on businesses and shut you down.
Speaker 8: I'm standing on tiny table island.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I would say that that it's a team story and you can separate things that the offensive line of the running game. I went through it all. I said, he's somewhere in that mix. I was open minded. I assumed he would get on initially, but I wanted to see who gets kicked off. So Darnold is on the island. Maybe we should talk about the guys that are going off.
Speaker 5: Actually, this is why I was stressed out about this exercise.
Speaker 4: I need an organization.
Speaker 3: Who else? Who else?
Speaker 9: So there's there's there's still one more open spot, right, we've kicked off to so Sham takes one of those.
Speaker 3: So who do you think she'd get the next one? Exactly?
Speaker 8: Okay, He's like, oh yeah, yea, yeah, we're good, but no.
Speaker 2: I want to have like a long conversation.
Speaker 8: Oh it was really coo Island you go to do that?
Speaker 2: It was cool just watching him in that offense. What stood out to you in the Monday Night performance is sort of how he fits in that Ryan Grove.
Speaker 7: About Yea, besides the three hundred texts I sent you about this is I was like, I'm watching this game, I'm so happy, and this must be what you feel like all the time.
Speaker 8: What is that like? Yeah?
Speaker 7: I think he fits so well in this system because you can clearly see how much to do Ryan Grubb is giving him. He has so much autonomy and responsibility. Basically, I love a collaboration like this between an OC and a quarterback because the OC basically sets the table, lays out the steak knife and the tiny salad fork and two different cups and one plate and three bowls and says, all right, man, we got the spacing down.
Speaker 8: I've got the spacing.
Speaker 7: Now you do what you want with everything else, and you choose how you're going to run the motions you get. I mean, unfortunately, he's got to get the line set every day play, which is like not should not be happening, and the line has been atrocious. But somehow he is rising past all of that, and this dude is spinning that really.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean just pretty.
Speaker 9: I mean I'm looking around the NFL and I'm seeing quick gang, quickly, quick game, quick game. I am seen every throw of his going twenty yards somewhere on the field from the numbers to inside the hashes.
Speaker 3: He is drilling it. And you saw last night.
Speaker 9: I mean he is navigating to a bunch of garbage in the pocket and he is still making these stick throws.
Speaker 3: So he is playing at a Were.
Speaker 6: You rooting against them on Monday night?
Speaker 2: Because we clearly felt that Goff and Gino were showing out because they knew Quarterback Island was taping right after that this week and they wanted to impress. Were you rooting against their Ford? Gino? Because I know you're rooting for Darnold in a way because you don't really like me that and then you have to were you rooting against him?
Speaker 5: I'm always rooting for Gino Smith. I feel like, yeah, I like to see him succeed. But I was rooting against him last night because I picked the Lions. But Kenneth Walker, I feel like he was almost like the guy that they.
Speaker 4: Could not stop him. He just kept coming back.
Speaker 3: They stopped through the first half.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and if they hadn't turned the ball like DK mccaf they hadn't turned it over early like that, who knows, I mean their script, they could have date on their A plus script, like who knows what could have happened near the end of that game. That was an electric game. Gino Smith had already solidified though, to me, even from the jump, which.
Speaker 6: Is why you got to look past QB rating.
Speaker 2: He has four touchdowns four interceptions this season, like that could be such a misleading stat if you've watched them every week. That Miami game, I thought he played awesome. So he's on. He's number one in the stat which is called on target rate. Just throws over ten yard ninety five percent of his throwth he draws target the league average is seventy five. Reminds me a lot of one of my favorites, Philip Rivers. I mean, he throws it prettier than Philip Rivers, but just how he navigates the pocket he stays called Paul just gets the intermedia.
Speaker 3: Philip filp was the man first three quarters. Don't get it.
Speaker 2: Okay, so we've we've put two guys on the island, you know and Sam Donold.
Speaker 6: What a season that they're on the island twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's talk about maybe some guys that could also get kicked off and some guys we didn't talk about. There's only a few left over. Stafford is on the island for now. There's three players that are I guess in the maybe category that are on the island. But we should talk about Jared Goff was flirting with getting booted before last night. Last night's performance was Monday Night's performance enough to keep where Jared Goff is at?
Speaker 6: What do you think Kelly was he on Kurt Warner's list?
Speaker 4: You know what I believe he was. He was was on the list.
Speaker 2: Okay, good, he knows ball now now he finally it's it's certified.
Speaker 3: He's the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: He's in.
Speaker 8: He's joining Greg on Gin.
Speaker 2: That was a joke. It was a joke, okay, So but after you no, do you do? We all vote yes on Jared Goff staying on.
Speaker 7: Quest And I want to I want to back this up with the number two because I did the same extrapolation weeks one and two versus three and four, because I thought he started to play, you could start to see him play better. Weeks three and four. EPA per drop pack was actually at number three. So and and he didn't really even throw the ball that much. It was perfect, but he didn't throw the ball that much to dramatically skew up his average. Right now, his number is ep aper dropback is at number nine that system. So yeah, so you know it's it's I think that's significant that he jumped that high despite a small sample size in even though it was perfect, a small sample size, and he didn't have Frank Ragnow out there got a touchdown exactly.
Speaker 6: We're all short throws either. So you have it.
Speaker 2: You throw a perfect game on Monday night football, and you were already on the island like that. Those first three weeks would have had to have been total disaster.
Speaker 3: Against that, and they weren't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they weren't. They weren't that bad the first two weeks. Little panic under pressure sometimes, but.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we are five four and Julia Low the safety.
Speaker 2: Let's have the Jalen Hurts convo. Your dude, weird season.
Speaker 4: It just continues.
Speaker 5: If he never got any better from the end of last year. The only upside is Saquon Barkley. If they didn't sign him, I don't know where.
Speaker 4: They would be.
Speaker 5: But Jalen Hurts, they just can't move the ball. On Sunday, the Eagles had zero yards of offense until six minutes in the second quarter. Zero and then the turnovers they just keep happening. He has twenty seven turnovers over his past twenty starts, dating back.
Speaker 4: To last season. So you could say, all right, there's.
Speaker 5: That's almost a dart like yeah, right, you hide. You could say that there is some type of disconnect between there obviously is a disconnect between the players and the coaching staff, but maybe between Jalen Hurts and Kellen Moore. But a lot of these issues were happening before Kellen Moore got there, So I don't know what is going on and how they can fix it, but he's got to get off the island.
Speaker 3: Brown comes back the right.
Speaker 4: I mean they're missing two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's confusing, like they are. He is so emblematic of that team. Maybe you got your personality of your leaders and hurts and series are a little all over the place, because I swear if you just have watched every snap, he's done a lot of good things this year. He's made a lot of plays out of nothing. He's made a lot of clutch drives for lack of a better word. I know that game against Tampa was, you know, pretty rough that week. He was in general, but he wasn't like their problem, like their defense has been a total like trash camp for three out of four games. And he's done some good things, But then you have to grade the turnovers and like the big like the turnover where he plays. I think he has the second most in the league to Will Levis. And it's been a little all over the place where you don't know what to think. And he's he's not He's not in that borough or Mahomes tier where I'm going to forgive it completely.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Will Levis is on quarterback Saturn right now?
Speaker 9: Oh for will Oh yeah, yeah, I think Jalen's on the raft with Wilson.
Speaker 4: The Dinghy Kane picked them up.
Speaker 2: Bill Bardo had one of my favorite tweets of the year. He said, why does Will Levis always look like an actor who's playing quarterback?
Speaker 3: Movie?
Speaker 2: But it's not like a pretty good no. I mean it's not even I don't think an insult. But when he's on the side, like he.
Speaker 8: Just that axpressive, he feels his feeling.
Speaker 2: It wasn't like taking a huge shot. But yeah, I guess he was kind of playing like an actor too. I am going to vote no on Jalen Hurts. I'm gonna vote no on Jalen Hurts. He's gone. And the reason I'm doing that because I like to do a one to one thing here. You mentioned your guy from the Commanders before jade and Daniels.
Speaker 6: Do you want to officially nominated?
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh, Jadeen Daniels, are you kidding me? Eighty two zero point one completion percentage, eight hundred and ninety seven passing yards, three touchdowns. Obviously that's not that much, but he's also running scores in as well, he's free of them. Fantastic, I mean, and all of his runs. I feel like so many of his runs go for first downs too. So he's making good decisions, he's making good reads.
Speaker 4: He's just doesn't look like a rookie quarterback at all.
Speaker 5: And I know Cliff King's is putting him in a great position, but it feels like Cliff Kingsbury is doing things a little different than he had done in Arizona one thousand percent with Kyler Murray, and this just works. This marriage is so perfect. I'm loving Jade and Daniels.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I like it.
Speaker 7: You mentioned it the other day on the preview show, Greg about what they're doing with the offensive line and how structurally it just looks so much more sound than we thought it was going to look around Jayden Daniels. We were worried about the offensive line coming in, we were worried about the skilled players, we were worried about some of the structure of the run game.
Speaker 8: All of it is.
Speaker 7: It's not overshadowing him by any way. It is supporting him in the best and purest way possible, where they have layers to this offense and he can compete at every single one of these layers within this offense, and I think I think he's brilliant.
Speaker 8: He's a joy to watch.
Speaker 3: I think this we're having Anthony Lynn as the run game courted with it back.
Speaker 9: It really helps, right, So this helps some of the run protections because you know Cliff, he loves having screaming free runners coming out of his quarterback. Even on that beautiful touchdown pass to Scary Terry, that was a clean blitz off the corner. But he saw it coming and speaking to a you know, coach on that staff there, he will tell you he's like, look in practice, we tried to trick him in training camp. We ran double three techniques, right, so they played their defensive tackles wide. He said he saw it, saw two INSI linebackers. He moved a running back out to make the linebacker follow the running back. So now the middle of the field is wide open and he calls a quarterback draw. He's like the fact that a rookie quarterback saw this two or three weeks into training camp recognized everything. So that's all the football he's played collegiately, he's been coached well. Dan Quinn told me he's got that twenty four hour keyfob. He can get to the building whatever he wants to study and do all that stuff that he wants to do. So I don't think that the people in that building this is really coming as a surprise.
Speaker 3: But to me, I'm ready to give him a gold jacket because he has the commanders.
Speaker 9: He has commanders at three my first place even for a minute with that organization.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean.
Speaker 2: He is the man of the moment. It's why I think we're gonna be unanimous. We're all voting yes, Jayde and Daniels, welcome to the island. First ever rookie on Quarterback Island. You got to bring an honor, You got.
Speaker 6: To bring the beers. I guess I don't know what they do.
Speaker 3: They're bringing him to him.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he gets he gets served. I thought it was really interesting. I read Terry McLaurin was talking about how Jade and Daniels is this like calming confident force in the building, and I guess they had missed each other on a connection week one, and that Jade Daniels kept coming over to Terry McLaurin throughout the week and he's like, just be patient, I'm coming to you. I'm coming back to you, and was like almost like talking him down, like everything's gonna be fine, don't worry.
Speaker 4: And it's like that doesn't feel like a rookie quarterback move.
Speaker 5: He just seems like he's a wise sage quarterback in a rookie's body.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 7: Once his teammates started understanding like how he operates, it's been really fun reading some of the reports out of there because he just would like experiment with things and try things. And I mentioned it a couple of weeks ago, it was like, what does this lover do? Oh that's fun? I got hit, But hey, we're all having like I feel joy, you know, all these things, and it just he's just like this brightness. And once they realized kind of that's, oh, he's not actually making mistakes because he's making mistakes innocently, Like he's making mistakes on purpose to try to figure out what works and what doesn't. And he's doing it with this personality and this joy. And then you're seeing that was all summer and you're seeing what translates out of that. His team is with him one hundred percent, and they're they're for him, and they can collaborate and do those things on the sideline like that, because they had that experience already and they really.
Speaker 2: Look a shock though, like no one saw this coming that the earth. They are one of the best offenses in NFL history through one month. Like for the first month to play, they are one of the best offenses we've ever seen. Now, I do think it's fair to point out he was unanimous. The only reason I was even pushing on Donald before is like, I just wanted to make sure that we get guys like Tandan Daniels on which we're definitely ahead on my list, and that once we got through it and hurts.
Speaker 6: This makes sense.
Speaker 2: But I do think it's important to point out they've had an incredibly easy schedule in terms of the defenses that they face, and so the numbers will go I think from stratospheric to Okay, let's see against some better defenses.
Speaker 6: I'm excited to see that.
Speaker 3: But here here's why I don't think I'm sorry.
Speaker 9: There's gonna be just the significant crash because he's not one of these fokay quarterbacks. He's got to always play in the shotgun, right, He's not one of these guys they line him up under center in the pistol, in the gun offset. So he's got a pretty good breadth of how to play the position from a lot of different ways, which is gonna make it tough to develop whatever you want to call it, the film on him, so to speak, because I think he's just got a lot of operational tools.
Speaker 2: Okay, we haven't talked about Dak Prescott at all. I think if we're gonna talk about Dak, if you want to kick him off the island, you got to propose someone to put on Justin fields to me, we you know, it's not quite quarterback island material, but he's playing outstanding, So just giving him a little love. Does anyone have someone they want on the island over Dak? Any Dak thoughts here?
Speaker 3: Oh that's a tough one.
Speaker 9: I mean, I'm really strong on Baker, but Dak would be real tough. He is not the Cowboys problem. No, I wouldn't put Baker on for Dak.
Speaker 2: There Aaron Rodgers, I think going into week four this might have been a different conversation because I think he's yeah, yeah, But even then, like it really is stuck in our head. When I went back and watched that game, I actually did not think Aaron Rodgers played nearly as bad as I would have expected. I think he was a veteran quarterback like Stafford, in a very difficult situation. If you had to, if I had to say, like who's played better this year Stafford, for instance, or Rogers, I would go Stafford. But it's actually pretty close. I think Rogers is playing good football, and so Rogers playing good football not being on Quarterback Island, Like, that's a tough decision.
Speaker 6: He's very on the borderline for me.
Speaker 3: Okay, I've got one for you.
Speaker 9: Then, since we're trying to play who's are either those guys playing as well as Kyler Murray?
Speaker 3: They're one in three. But Kyler.
Speaker 7: I have a hard time with Kyler because I got to watch in person probably one of the best games he's ever played, and it was absolutely out I mean, he looked I was like, make him president of Quarterback Island at this point.
Speaker 8: It was outstanding.
Speaker 7: But I just I have a hard time he's you know, I think the defense is obviously dragging him down. I'm, like I said, I'm not punishing players for not being able to overcome certain like catastrophics surrounding that defense. Looks bad, to put it politely, but I was ready to like, as you guys know, I was ready to like crown this Arizona offense as like the future, right, and it's just not coming together in a cohesive way and.
Speaker 2: Been the run game more than yeah pass. I expected him to be more a part of that time you run.
Speaker 7: Well, but I was going to be more involved on a weekly basis, not just in that you know, that game against the Rams. I thought he's going to be more involved on a weekly basis in the run plan.
Speaker 6: He's not.
Speaker 8: I think he's holding the ball a little bit.
Speaker 7: Sometimes it's just it's a it's a strang the receiver trust doesn't quite seem to be I think, for for valid reasons, some streaky a little bit of streaky play is including from the top guy on that team. So I just think that it's I didn't know what to do with him. I didn't know what to do with him, but I wasn't willing to swap him out over some players who I think have played consistently unbelievable ball.
Speaker 5: He's sort of just on the on the ferry. That might be he's in transit for the island, but he's.
Speaker 2: Hanging out with Rogers, where yeah, he's just like right there. That would be a thing you're talking about.
Speaker 6: That would be a weird duo. They're both a laugh.
Speaker 3: Kyler's like, hey man, did you see what I was shot in that game? There?
Speaker 2: Yeah, a little video games. I don't think Rogers is a gamer. The numbers are better than maybe the last two games I test would say, like Murray ninth and EPA per dropback sixth and completion percentage over expected. I think he'd looked good through two weeks. He certainly would have had a strong case. He held the ball quite a bit the last couple of weeks. Don't think he's played awful, But that game against a pretty bad Commander's defense that sunk his chances. So wow, maybe Dak's safe. We were not putting car on we no one nominated Rogers. Wow. Rodgers would add different vibes to the I.
Speaker 7: Think he's had one vintage Aaron Rodgers game so far and hasn't quite looked fully himself in the other.
Speaker 3: I would agree with that.
Speaker 9: And yet he's yeah, based on the other guys ahead of him, Okay, that's.
Speaker 2: Fair because he's like above the Dalton line as we're mixing different podcasts, different ways of valuing quarterbacks, Like I think throughout he's been a big time asset to their team. The second half of the Titans game, he was fantastic. Wasn't like the complete game. Uh, And so it's it's actually kind of hard for me to leave him off because I feel like he could get better over the course of the season.
Speaker 3: But you were quick to leave him off the first time because I was memory.
Speaker 2: You can change your opinions based on new information. I appreciate good football. I think he's playing pretty good, but I wouldn't put him on either over Dak. I would probably put him on over Darnold. But you know that's what I mean.
Speaker 6: That's what I mean.
Speaker 8: Four games of the season.
Speaker 2: It's no, it's close. I mean it's a total. That's a total about justin Herbert never came up. He's healthy. Now he's playing. I mean, he's sort of help.
Speaker 9: He's so tough and he's so competitive, and this is one where I think you really have to factor and circumstances. Besides the injury, he has got nobody to go downfield. I feel bad for him because he is such a gamer. I mean I love watching him play, and right now he just has nothing there.
Speaker 3: They're not in.
Speaker 9: Terms of the past game, they're easy to defend, just in terms of teams know they don't have anyone who's gonna go downfield on them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's thrown for fewer than two hundred yards in all four games. He never had back to back games like that in his career. And this is not like he just he doesn't look like the same quarterback because of the system that he's in and because of like the skill position players around him.
Speaker 2: He looks so much better than the numbers, and the numbers I touched out an interception looks good five to one. But you look at QBR every week. I go to you know, hate watch QBR and see if Watson's on the bottom. Yep, dead last in the NFL. And uh, but then I always notice Herbert. It's like barely above him, like five spots.
Speaker 3: There's something called watch.
Speaker 8: I like hearing about your hobbies.
Speaker 2: I'm totally joking. I just am saying that because I happen to notice that it's Watson here at the bottom.
Speaker 4: But also you hate watching.
Speaker 6: Uh, sometimes you'll watch like a movie that's so bad. It's good. It's not really hate now your.
Speaker 2: I mean our listener of NFL Daily, you guys hate watch teams. I mean it's yeah, it's kind of like uh Bo Bonnie Jones, who has a great podcast. He said, like he gave up like rooting for some of his college football team, but he still roots against all the old ones. Like it's fun to hate on certain teams. It's fun to root root against teams.
Speaker 3: I colleagues are Philly. She's got a long lead.
Speaker 5: Yes, I know, starting naming every team in the league against them.
Speaker 8: Nobody likes us.
Speaker 7: I thought things were going downhill with with Justin Herbert. It's like week two, week three, and the local columnists there at the Athletic Daniel Popper is already having to write stories that say, who will protect Justin Herbert from himself? I mean that's yeah, that's a sign of a bad, bad way right now.
Speaker 2: So I think we've done it. I think we've decided who has made not funny? The ones that we've just quarterbacks? Well, who else did we need to mention?
Speaker 7: We don't need to mention anyone. I'm just saying it's funny. Yeah, just Lea the people I know you, Greg, the subcotually the people you just completely.
Speaker 6: Left well that they weren't in contention.
Speaker 2: Like we talked to Carr, who was close enough, but not close at all. I think we hit every name at least quickly that had a chance. There were no other nominations, and yeah, let's let's go through it again. The members of Quarterback Island. After four weeks in the NFL season, Dak is still on Back's wasn't sure. I thought someone was going to make a case against Dak. I wasn't sure. No, Jared Goff is on, Matthew Stafford is on, Rock Purty is on, Josh Allen is on, Lamar Jackson, Joe Burrow, c J Stroud, Patrick Mahomes. We've added three new members to Quarterback Island. Gino Smith, Jaden Daniels and Sam Darnold are on Quarterback Island. We never got back to your guy Baker, but I want him on Baker another time.
Speaker 6: You have a chance.
Speaker 2: It's a game of skill Quarterback Island. If you play well enough, we recognize you. Let's take a quick break. We got to do some news wasn't expected to, but we got a doozy when we got it to the studio back in a second, back on NFL Daily. Didn't think we were doing news today and.
Speaker 6: We got a wopper.
Speaker 2: Davante Adams has informed the team that he prefers to be traded. According to our insiders Ian Rappaport and Mike Gara Folo, the news comes on the same day that Antonio Pierce was noted to like a social media postings account could be traded.
Speaker 8: I probably what I'll say.
Speaker 2: It is crazy to have a coach liking comments like that. Part of the story. It doesn't matter now because it's it's just out there. This thing is moving quickly. Yes, it would seem if all the insiders are reporting that he wants to be traded espn Adam schefter already throwing out some possible terms a conditional second and maybe.
Speaker 6: Relating quickly something else.
Speaker 2: Consider it right, which I think we've been around long enough that if that's being thrown out there, what they're they're trying to negotiate through the media, They already have something maybe not quite as good in their pocket and seeing if they can do better.
Speaker 6: Steve, what do you think, Well.
Speaker 9: Unless somebody with the Jets is saying we'll give them a conditional second because you know that's going to be the speculation out for him to get back with Aaron Rodgers. And frankly, if you're the Jets right now, with your season the way it is, you do it. Oh yeah, this is a this is a ditch season for the Jets. So you go out there and you do it. That's a less a team. I'm gonna give a couple of teams that I think should probably make a move like this. I think the Atlanta Falcons should go ahead and make a move like this. They need that type of receiver and that type of veteran on this roster to go ahead and add something to this. I think they want to get him out of the AFC if possible.
Speaker 3: But I mean, this is a situation where I think the.
Speaker 9: Falcons and the Jets should go ahead and say let's play ball, because you know, no one needs it more than a Chief. But they're not going to trade him to Kansas City.
Speaker 2: The second round pick is not a crazy I mean Mohammed san who got traded for a second round pick in a similar situation to the Patriots. DeVante Adams looked great in Week two plays Week three finishes, the game doesn't play week four, and then this all pops out. He was on Ky Adams' show on FanDuel and said, you know that he didn't know about the Antoni period. It just seems like this is all systems are firing. And it doesn't seem like it's just from Adams. It seems like it's maybe from both.
Speaker 9: Don't forget now the like came sometime between business decisions and him not playing as well. Right, Remember you cannot forget that. I'm not saying that Antonio Pierce is including him in the business decisions.
Speaker 3: But things are kind of.
Speaker 4: Nuclear the connecting of the dots here.
Speaker 8: We need a detective Weisch segment we.
Speaker 5: Do, which put us out there fluting around.
Speaker 3: So fired.
Speaker 5: This is something though, that was talked about in the summer, like this is not anything new. That teams were approaching the Raiders and trying to propose trades for Dvante Adams, and the Raiders supposedly turn them away, And so now they're in this situation where Davante Adams is clearly unhappy and they need to figure it out.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and every every team calls on every big player like this. I mean it's but this is this was serious to your point, calling to the point where one of those teams was like leaking that that they were doing in order to sort of stoke the fire. Oh, is there something going on there, something that you have to address before the first day of the season begins in a press conference? Are there different things like just continuing to rekindle, rekindle, rekindle, rekindled. It would not surprise me if this has been going on, and this conversation has been happening with the front office and the coaching staff for several weeks now, and getting out in front of it would be to say, oh, I'd prefer to be traded.
Speaker 4: Maybe even longer too, if we know.
Speaker 2: How getting out in front of it from a coach might be saying the guy's making businesses well, you know.
Speaker 9: And also I don't think Gardner Minsh's coming to Quarterback Island.
Speaker 8: No, oh, we didn't even mention him.
Speaker 3: Let me ask Let me ask you this. Jordan just just got of curiosity.
Speaker 9: Are the Rams confident enough in Cooper Cup and Pooka Nakua's health not to get involved in making.
Speaker 3: A move like this.
Speaker 7: I don't put anything past the Rams in terms of making splash moves, especially maximizing what could be a final year before Stafford comes back to the negotiation table. I also didn't put it past them blowing everything up if it went continued to go south. However, like this is one of those things where you can't actually seriously say as a team that you are depending on the health of a receiver that hasn't made it through a full season in the last three years, as well as a receiver who's a bright and blossoming star but whose situation is going to be more significant time than initially thought in training and puk and Akua, and so I would not put it past them to make the call. Now they're going to be on that hinge though, of either you go all in in that direction, which they did in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 8: They tried for Christian.
Speaker 7: McCaffrey in the last dish effort to save their season and then je and they didn't. But I'm specifically talking about like a horrible start in twenty twenty two, and they tried to go all in for Christian McCaffrey, trying to compete with Kyle Shanahan to get the job done, and then all of a sudden, their season completely imploded and they could not.
Speaker 6: Right they were in the mix for Brian Burns. That didn't happen.
Speaker 2: Let's go first, I now think Divini the Adams is never playing another snap again. For the rate this coming out the way it has, this thing could move quickly and unlike some of these trade situations where it takes forever, like this is DeVante Adams is a future Hall of Famer. The season is already started. People will want to get him into his building. The contract is an interesting part of it. He's not making much money this year, so actually contractually it's kind of a bargain. It saves the Raiders some money. It's not painful for them either. Next year he's due thirty five point six million, then a year after that thirty six point six So that's probably going to require some sort of renegotiation.
Speaker 6: Maybe not.
Speaker 2: I'm curious, like how much control he has in this process. We saw how much control Brandon aukad in that process. It is important, but this might just be a rental. And I'm looking at like teams with Capsleece first of all with the forty nine ers.
Speaker 6: Ever think about it.
Speaker 2: Like sending deebo away and Raiders get someone bring him home.
Speaker 6: That's something.
Speaker 2: Browns have a wide receiver who's playing terribly. They have a ton of cap space. They're always in on these years. He's not right, he's not gonna want to go there. But if if he doesn't have much decision making, I could see the Browns in on it. The Patriots and the Steelers who were in on Ayuk, you would think would be teams that would be in on DeVante Adams.
Speaker 6: That's logical, Like the Lions.
Speaker 2: That's not a crazy and I'm going through the top to bottom of cap space team. The Lions have a ton of cap space and they could certainly use another wide receiver.
Speaker 6: So that's what I'm saying is like, I.
Speaker 2: Think this is gonna I think this is going to go somewhat quickly, and I think I think they'll do better than a conditional second. Am I crazy? I don't know crazy, like.
Speaker 3: A solid second. I mean, no one's giving up one.
Speaker 8: What I'm saying.
Speaker 2: What I'm saying, Oh no, we would never give up a first round draft pick that we miss on fifty percent of the time for a future Hall of Famer who we know is going to help our team this year.
Speaker 3: Oh no, God, Troy Detroit is not giving up a first shir No.
Speaker 2: I get it. Some teams when I'm just the like the mind hive like, but we'll give up an extra first to trade up to go draft Marcus Davenport or LaVey or whatever.
Speaker 3: Like.
Speaker 2: People give up extra first all the time. When you get like, yeah, the Saints could be in the mix. They could certainly near to wide receiver like go for so many teams, this is fun.
Speaker 3: Oh Derek and DeVante?
Speaker 8: Uh huh.
Speaker 4: Exactly.
Speaker 7: All I'm saying is when it comes out good clearly through a player's camp that he would prefer to be traded, that automatically tells teams on the outside, come get me for cheaper than you would have had to before.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: What I was gonna say before is that he's been unhappy for a while in Vegas, and he was very unhappy when Derek Carr left, so that makes total sense for him to end up maybe reuniting with him in New Orleans.
Speaker 2: Now, the Saints, they can pull off some salary cap voodoo like no other team, but they only have two point seven million dollars of space right now.
Speaker 3: They are going to be in cap hell for turn.
Speaker 2: He always figured out, So is it really hell.
Speaker 3: For the year.
Speaker 7: By the way, Steve, it just clicked for me to rams question for me, you know who the backup in Los Angeles is.
Speaker 8: Awkward.
Speaker 7: He's avoid eye contact walking down the hallway.
Speaker 6: This is great. Thank you to DeVante Adams.
Speaker 2: I've wanted the NFL to become more like the NBA with trades, and uh, this is what we need, a nice in season trade. And you know, even the Raiders are into it. Finny Bontignor, who covers the team locally, UH for their big paper there in Las Vegas, the Review Journal said that the Raiders are also open to it, and UH a source with knowledge of the situation, he doesn't say the Raiders. The source of the club has been reaching out to teams, so that words that wording reaching out to teams that the Raiders are reaching out.
Speaker 6: They're in on it too. Let's go this.
Speaker 2: Is the dude opting out out of out of well. And also he can be part of the Super Bowl race for some team. That's like a fun value.
Speaker 3: Add lots of trade on to the Panthers.
Speaker 2: All right, let's let's talk let's talk about one of the teams. You said he would make some sense for the Atlanta Falcons. It is time for our TNF preview presented by Prime Video Fun Game. Bucks and Falcons both coming off big wins. I think the Falcons have done a really nice job managing the season. I talk about this a lot. You're not going to be your full team right away. Sometimes you got some issues. They've got issues. Kirk Cousins can't move, they don't really have a great pass rush. But here they are at two and two against two wins teams, wins against pretty good teams. They have a really hard schedule initially, if you look at the back half, it's one of the easiest schedules in the league. Here's a home game in the division, a big game for both of these teams.
Speaker 6: Atlanta can kind of be buried by Tampa here.
Speaker 2: If you're down two games in the division and you had lost at home, that's a pretty decent lead for Tampa in the a NFC South Calleing, Yeah.
Speaker 5: I would expect the Bucks to obviously press sure Kirk Cousins here a ton in this game, the same way that they did to Jalen Hurts. And the Eagles. They sacked Hurts five times in that game. They generated their highest pressure rate two in a game in almost three years, So this was like an unbelievable amount of heat that they were throwing at him. Obviously, we know Kirk Cousins operates much better when he's not under pressure, as most quarterbacks do.
Speaker 4: But I love the fact that Falcons.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but Falcons head coach Raheem Morris worked right alongside with Bucks offensive coordinator Liam Cohen with the Rams, and they went against each other in practice, so they know each other, they know each other's tendencies, and I'm really excited to see that kind of chess match come out.
Speaker 8: The last year. Yeah, Yeah, you know, it.
Speaker 7: Is going to be interesting because like kind of what we talked about when we were talking about quarterback Island is this is a real opportunity for Baker Mayfield to will some things to happen against a defense that's finding itself. But the secondary has been really solid for the Falcons. Yeah, and I think that especially catching some people by surprise a little bit. So I do think that this is a good matchup in terms of that multi layered, multi dimensional Liam Cullen eleven personnel and Chris Godwin is Cooper Cup now and like all of these things offense and really seeing how particularly some of the really savvy leaders and emerging stars in that Falcon secondary handle it right.
Speaker 2: They They've got three big time veteran star players in the same secondary, Jesse Bates, aj Terrell when he's playing right, and Justin Simmons is playing well, and they've gotten good production out of the other guys. So you're right, that's the strength and it's a tough matchup against a really good receiver group. I think Evans is getting better each week. I think there was maybe some injury stuff they weren't talking about. Chris Godwin is now their number one receiver by production. He looks like Chris Godwin from five years ago. He's having a great contract year right now. He has about one hundred yards more than Evans. He's making those plays after the catch. They're moving him inside and out of the slot, but a lot in the slot where I think he's at his best.
Speaker 6: And they were just picking the Eagles apart.
Speaker 2: They finally got their running game going last week after a pretty rough first three weeks of the season, a little better and It was a really good game plan by Liam Cohen. Just like, get the ball out to these guys. They can make plays after the catch and Evans in the red zone and it's a lot to deal with it. I think the Bucks have been a little steadier as a team overall than the fact.
Speaker 3: Well someone turned apart the Eagles secondary. That doesn't happen.
Speaker 4: It's been years of this look.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 9: Speaking of the Falcons defense, Jesse Bates might be the defensive player of the year right now, at least in the contention the way.
Speaker 4: That I love that that he's played.
Speaker 9: Justin Simmons finally seems to be getting comfortable. I mean they really looked good as a tandem last week. We know aj Terrell he started out shaky. He's looking really good as well on the second thear I like that matchup. I just want to see if Atlanta's offense can deal with this defense, because yeah, the Bucks are bringing smoke. Kyle Pitts didn't have a catch last week. He could be someone who could be a blitz breaker, right if you get the ball to him that way. You know, Cousins and Drake London have got something working. Jonjon Bjon you know, he's something they've got going. I think this is gonna be a tough dust up, so to speak. I mean, I think it's gonna be a really really good game.
Speaker 7: A little bit shorthanded. Todd Bowles just has that juice still is. You know, he'll find He'll let go and find someone in the stands and literally pick them up and throw them at the quarterback as an extra rusher, like he is sending this heat, these extra pressures. Kirk Cousins has struggled against that so far this season, just forty eight point five percent of his past his third lowest in the NFL against the Blitz.
Speaker 8: This is a concern.
Speaker 2: Look, the Falcons running game has not been very good this year, and that's because.
Speaker 9: Teams are loading up to stop it, like they're gonna make Kirk Cousins beat him.
Speaker 2: Okay, I mean it got better last week Tyler Alzier. It was the dude man an interesting moment. I was just like watching this, I'm like, oh, Algier gives him some juice. Like suddenly it started working in a different way with Algier and they ran with it. And Bijon is obviously incredible and is better on passing down certainly, but it's a tough combination. And you think, like Todd Bowles, he's always going to have a great run defense, like that's the one thing you know about him. A lot of the best run defenses in history were coached by Todd Bowles, including with the Jets. This one's thinks everyone's running on them every week, so it's that'll help a ton And he helped him on the goal line last week. Although even even in that game, like you know, Saquon just didn't have many touches. Not that that wasn't frustrating at all. All right, let's pick this game, tough one. I am so excited. I want everyone listening this deep into the show Quarterback on to join me and Gerald McCoy live on YouTube after this game.
Speaker 6: I'm very excited.
Speaker 2: I don't really know. I don't really know Jerald that well, but I came and I introduced myself to him. He had been very nice. Uh he had been part of broadcast boot camp, so met a little bit. But I'm really excited that he's going to be better.
Speaker 4: Wear your best jacket.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I'll be at the pddresser.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's a good man.
Speaker 8: Don't wear this more like a cool whoam just kidding? No, I just kidding. It looks great.
Speaker 6: This is a new purchase.
Speaker 8: I'll never wear. I went too far.
Speaker 2: I thought, like, we're not We decided we're not going island theme.
Speaker 3: We don't.
Speaker 6: They didn't have any island stuff.
Speaker 4: I had a big purge this year and a shirt.
Speaker 2: I'll be at home, and so will Jerald, and so I'll probably wear something cool. But like at home, I'll wear my best hoodie.
Speaker 3: I never wear Batman.
Speaker 2: Okay, but everyone should join us. We'll be live on YouTube about ten minutes after the game. Colleen, why don't you pick it? Okay, go ahead.
Speaker 5: I'm taking the Bucks in this one, and they have to win this one. I mean, this is arguably their most difficult stretch right now in their schedule. They have three divisional games in four weeks, and then they also have the Ravens, the Chiefs, and the Niners coming up.
Speaker 4: So this is a game that I think the Bucks will win.
Speaker 5: They've been on fire, and the Falcons offense just can't come together yet, Like they have so much potential and they just haven't been able to unlock it.
Speaker 4: And I just don't think it's going to happen this game.
Speaker 7: I agree with all your points. I am taking the Falcons though, just because I this this secondary, you know, for the I think that they're just gonna mess with this past game, and I think that's that's going to be one of the deciding factors in this game.
Speaker 8: So I'm taking the Falcons.
Speaker 2: Short week road team on Thursday and football, not like it's a long trip or anything, just the way the seat Like, I just feel like these two teams feel like three and two teams to me. Sometimes I don't make it any smarter than that. And so that would mean that the Falcons get a win at home. I think teams that win games like I feel like they're lucky to be two and two win games they maybe shouldn't have. They usually start playing better and then they win games like because they actually earn it. So they're one and a half point favorites at home. If it was in Tampa, I'd probably go Bucks, but I'll go Falcons.
Speaker 5: Ba Baker's never going to make the Island at this rate, but he's got four weeks.
Speaker 2: Four weeks, But I don't feel strong about this. I'm my heart. I'm rooting for the Bucks because I want a happy Gerald McCoy after the game.
Speaker 3: Kurko chains though he might be making I like the Falcons here. How about this.
Speaker 9: This is the third consecutive primetime game the Falcons have had. When is the last time you can say that?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 6: Yeah, that is crazy. It was an interesting move.
Speaker 2: I noticed that early from the schedule makers that like, we're going big on Kirk oh uh to start the season.
Speaker 5: Mike North really loves Atlanta Falcons.
Speaker 2: All right, that was TF preview presented by Prime Video. Be sure to watch the Tampa Bay Buccaneers take on the Atlanta Falcons this Thursday on Prime Video. Thank you for watching NFL Daily. This wasn't just any show. This was a Quarterback Island show. Did we do your your concept? Proud executive producer Jordan Rods.
Speaker 7: And supporting actor. Yes, Yeah, this is the great. This is a joy every Tuesday.
Speaker 6: So thank you well.
Speaker 4: I love today's show.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm giving. I'm giving a yes for today's show. Steve, will you be back with us in a month for the next glitter I.
Speaker 9: Will and kirkle Change is going to make it because there's new wide receiver Davante Adams oh there you go, Island.
Speaker 2: All right, thanks again for watching NFL Daily. We'll be back with our preview show, Steve working overtime this week will be with myself and Patrick Clayban and yeah, you know when Sam Darnold is on quarterback freaking Island and I'm hitting Colleen, football is back.
Speaker 8: Oh my god,