Speaker 1: You're right for the Seattle Times. His name is Ryan Divish and he's back on FT run. Great to have you back on man Good to see you. What do you have for us? To me, this sounds like the classic case of a fan base that is losing their minds. And then I'm on the outside looking in being like, yeah, the Manners are fine. They'll eventually hit a ten game win streak and take the division, and they've got good pitching.
Speaker 2: But you tell me what you're seeing to.
Speaker 1: Try to not get like two connected to the every day.
Speaker 3: You're right, it's like.
Speaker 4: With every win, it's all this team's got all the potential to get to the World Series.
Speaker 3: And then with every loss, it's like blow it up DFA.
Speaker 4: Everyone my Twitter mentions turn into Lord of the Flies. They start blaming me for not asking you tough enough questions. I don't know, it's all. It's all kind of one deal. But I think that's like any fan base. You know, it's hard to see the ten thousand foot view or the macro because in the day to day you see the every day and you're just every game and trying to win every game. And that's I think, you know, the balance the front office has to look at the overall view, whereas like you know, Dan Wilson and then the coaching staff and then fans can look at the everyday view. But like the team is underachieved, I don't think anybody would sit there and say that it hasn't given what they have, given the amount of talent on the roster, give them the expectations. You know, they're they're right around five hundred, which when you're right around five hundred, makes you really good in the American League and really good in the American League West. But I have yet to see a stretch of maybe well the fifteen games where I thought they played quality, consistent baseball. I just haven't seen it for any number of reasons, whether it's poor performance or injuries.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna tell you. I mean, I agree with Scott. I think this team is good enough to make the playoffs, blah blah blah. But as a fan, can you blame the fans they watched them in the playoffs last year. Are they seeing the exact same team offensively? Because we know what they can do pitching? But I think the exact same team offensively, and that's what fans are Leary of like, oh, we're just gonna waste our money on some playoff tickets that won't end in a World Series.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I could, Like I usually don't tell fans how to be fans because I'm not really won anymore other than it's University of Montana football. But like, yeah, I mean, like the difference with this team right now is the catcher isn't on pace. They hit sixty home runs like he was last year, you know, eighty one games. In the last year, Cal Realy had like thirty four homers, and like that's the difference. You know, he's he's he started off slow, then he got hurt. You know, he's working his way back, and Brendan Donovan's playing in like twenty five games. I mean, like, the offense isn't good, and there are a lot of different reasons for it, but really it's you know, and it's not like some people blame Rob Ruthsninder on the roster.
Speaker 3: No, it's it's their best players haven't.
Speaker 4: Been consistently producing as good as Julio was in the month of May hitting ten homers.
Speaker 3: You know, you look at his overall numbers, where he's at.
Speaker 4: Eighty some games into the season, he's pretty much on track with where he's been the last few years, which means he'll probably get hot here in another week or so and then put up really big numbers. But yeah, it's fans have every right to be upset because they just they haven't performed well.
Speaker 3: It's an execution issue as much.
Speaker 5: As it is.
Speaker 3: Personnel or anything like.
Speaker 4: There's been some injuries and such, but it's just execution, even like with the pitching staff, as good as the pitching staff has been, and it's been outstanding, Like, you don't look at the pitching staff right now say, oh, there's a genuine All Star candidate. I mean, Logan Gilbert's had some rough stretches, George Kirby's had some rough stretches, Brian lou has struggled on the road. Then you have Bryce Miller and Louis Castillo doing a little bit of that piggyback thing. And you throw on Emerson Hancock, who has been probably their best, their most consistent guy, but even he's had a couple of hiccups. So I think there, I think they're still really solid, and like if you look at a team that's with the talent that they have, you know, and they will get Brendan Naunovan back at some point, and you look at the rest of the league you think, Okay, yeah, they have yet to play consistent baseball, and at some point the law of averages says they will play consistent baseball. So you still like their chances because they haven't played their way out of it. Like as poorly as they have played, they've hovered right around five hundred, and they've been able to just kind of stay right there. And being in a bad league and a bad division helps. But you know, you can only play what the schedule says. And really, if you get into the postseason.
Speaker 3: And win the division, that's really the ultimate goal to start with.
Speaker 4: And then because you can't, you can't win the World Series without getting the posseason. So I think they're still in line to win the division, which sets them up for everything.
Speaker 5: All right, Ryan, you got to put on your coaching hat, okay, because you said Cal's regression. I said before the year, Cal is going to regress by a lot of home runs. He could still hit forty before the year, because you just don't hit sixty home runs as a catcher, like it's that would be regression of twenty home runs. But what have you seen from Cal besides the stretch where he's clearly playing through an injury. Is something in his execution, his approach. Is it something that maybe he's still dealing with to have this few good at bats. I mean everything offensively is down for Cal.
Speaker 4: Extremely Yeah, it's I look at it kind of was waves. I think he came back from the BBC and he wasn't comfortable and he didn't play. He had nine tole at bats in the WBC, And you guys have talked about this.
Speaker 3: I've talked about it, but like.
Speaker 4: They, you know, part of the WBC isn't just the games, it's the daily work.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: Cal's the guy that we get to the Green Spring Tree and gets to the clubhouse at like five in the morning for thirty five in the morning, does all his work, you know, lifts, gets all his extra stuff in, you know, then does game or does minor league games, gets as a bats. So he's putting in a twelve hour day at the field. When you're at the WBC, you don't have a field. You share the stadium with the other team, so you're getting like two hours of work in maybe, and I think that was that was what he didn't like.
Speaker 3: And I think part of it was he.
Speaker 4: Got back and he got back from the WBC, and he was like me in college or kidness at Arizona State, right before finals is coming up, You're trying to learn an entire semester in three days. He was trying to you know, he's trying to learn. He was trying to get back all that he missed in three or four days. And I do think that maybe predisposed him to the oblique issues.
Speaker 3: But he just couldn't find that timing. And I think there is some pressure.
Speaker 4: You know, he has a high level responsibility of the team, the team's success, and he wasn't producing, and I think that frustrated him. And we saw him get out of his approach. Then you have the oblique issues. Now he's back. You know, obliques don't just go away within a month. I mean something he's gonna have to deal with all year. I do think like he was chasing out of the zone, you know, kind of going after some pitches. They were attacking him up and in I thought against when he's batting left handed and he was still trying to catch that pitch out front. It just wasn't there, The timing wasn't there. We've seen him take some walks of late and starting to drive the ball the other way. I think that's the big thing, you know, getting away from that approach. His mentality is always to hit the ball as hard as he can over the batter's eye. And what that does is it gets him on time to pull the ball when he's supposed to, whether that's on a hanging breaking ball, or he's on time enough to catch that fastball in the inner half that maybe isn't end quite enough to really pull it. But you know, hitters are human, and they get out of their approach, they start chasing the result instead of chasing the good at bat.
Speaker 3: And he's admit as much.
Speaker 4: So you know, last night he got a single the right He's had some more walks. I think that's the one big thing is don't chase pitchers around the strike zone. You know, you're just going to have to be stubborn to an approach, and if that doesn't yield the immediate results, you want, so be it. But that's the only way he's going to get back to the power levels that he wants is being able to drive, have the mentality of driving the ball to center, and then that'll open them up to really driving the ball to the pull side on both sides of the plate.
Speaker 1: People dehydration sucks. Quint's electrolyte stick packs to the rescue. I order them, I use them all of the time.
Speaker 6: Somebody who may or may not have had some adult beverages in their life. The next day, you know what flavor? I like watermelon and I don't like watermelon. I'll go raspberry and it helps me to get my citrus salt in. But if I do, it helps me to get back to normal, feeling good and ready to go the next day.
Speaker 1: Yep, tough workout or dry mouth in the morning, whatever it is, this is going to help you out. Quint always has the best deals for you. You can go on their website and see a number of products. We're talking about not only a product that tastes great but has zero sugar options that are also stevia free. Give your body what it really needs to stay hydrated. Go to quints dot com slash foul for free shipping on your order in three sixty five day returns. That's QUI n ce dot com slash for free shipping in three sixty five day returns. Quins dot com slash foul. These statements have not been evaluated by the FEUD and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat care, or prevent any disease.
Speaker 7: First off, how dare you accurately describe my academic tendencies and how I got Arizona State?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 7: Secondly, then with cals struggling just right now, is a bat what the Seattle needs most? Do they go because you got a lot of pitching while you said they've better, you're achieving, But what piece do they go out and get that helps them the most?
Speaker 3: Here?
Speaker 5: Then?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would never talk bad about Arizona State and the fine academic institution that it is.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, I mean it's the junior college of the Big twelve. Basically easy.
Speaker 4: I mean like it should be the greatest, it should be the greatest recruiting advantage ever.
Speaker 3: I've been to mill Avenue.
Speaker 4: It should be the easiest and greatest recruiting advantage ever. But I think that's the problem is it's a little too much fun. I think they like obviously it's easy to say they need another bat. They need a right handed bat. They really struggle against left handed pitching. It's been obvious, but I don't know that it's like how they fit that in will be interesting. Would probably be an outfielder most likely. You know, they're pretty heavy on position players, like especially when Donovan comes back and if other guys stay healthy.
Speaker 3: They really need a reliever.
Speaker 4: Matt Brash is not going to be back to right about I would say the trade deadline, him and Cooper Criswell, and they're missing a leverage arm and they were going to go get a right handed leverage arm anyways before Brash got hurt. They're trying to build this pan out into something really, you know, you know, really just like a.
Speaker 3: Dominant, lockdown bullpen.
Speaker 4: But they don't, you know, they need a right handed reliever to work that seventh or eighth inning. There isn't a ton of them out there. Like I heard you guys talking about the trade market and stuff. You know, there's only a handful of teams right now that are sellers.
Speaker 3: You know. I heard Kim mentioned Taylor Ward. Would he fit with the Marriors. Absolutely.
Speaker 4: It's weird though, like the Orioles in the maryor there's had so many fits over the last few Oh, that's wow, that's amazing.
Speaker 3: That's really amazing.
Speaker 4: The Mariners and the Orioles have had so many fits trade wise, it's never happened.
Speaker 3: Well, it's just like the starting pitching and stuff like that.
Speaker 4: You know, what would the Marriors go off their major league roster to get Taylor Ward? Would they or would they send a pitching prospect because like in years past, we always thought that maybe Bryce Miller would end up in Baltimore for one of their position players, you know, and it never happened. And you know, so that that that it hasn't happened. I don't really foresee it happening with Taylor Ward. I mean some people have mentioned, say as a zuki because like the Cubs, he's going to be a free agent. Like a right handing hitting a bat outfielder would help the Mariners, but I think their priority right now is to add a reliever, and you know that's that's the biggest one.
Speaker 3: But a right handed bat would help them in some way.
Speaker 4: Like they're so left handed dominant and they need to find a way. Maybe it is right now, like I think they're gonna play dom Canzone against left he's just a little bit more than they have because he's been okay against them, and he's a true power source for them.
Speaker 3: I mean, like you look at this team. They've been They were in.
Speaker 4: First place for over a month in the West, and that's with cal really not doing anything, Randy carrying most of it, and then they're relying on guys like Luke Rayley, Tom Canzone and Cole Young to carry a lot of the offensive burdens. So if they can kind of get going, I think that's the bigger key. But they'll they'll look it's Jerry Depoto. They're gonna be aggressive. It's just like the known needs aren't as simple as last year. Like last year when they went into the deadline, it was like, look, they need a first basement in a third baseman, and Suarez and Naylor happened to be out there, so it was an easy fix. This year, it's a little bit more complicated with how their roster is built. But the easiest fixed or the easiest the most glaring need is as a right handed reliever that can get some swing and miss.
Speaker 3: Now, whether that's.
Speaker 4: Lucas Ersag or somebody like that, that's probably what they're gonna do, all.
Speaker 5: Right, Ryan, So I'm gonna kind of hit a double sided question here. It's about the piggyback that you had mentioned, the piggyback system whatever. First of all, did they all truly agree to that? Did you? Did you delve more into that? And are they able to trade from that piggyback? And that's why they're doing it because they don't want to put X Pitcher in the pen and say, well he's a reliever, we're not going to get as much, so we're just going to keep them all starters till the trade deadline.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, like the I don't know if they all agreed to it.
Speaker 4: It was kind of like, you know, they're they were given different plans and they all agreed on one plan. I mean, I think they were all, Hey, this is we're going to piggyback, or we're going to go six man, or we're going to do something. We're not sending one of you guys to the bullpen, which is nobody wanted either. So they agreed on like the best possible scenario. I guess it's like it's like for me, if you gave me three vegetables, I had to eat, I would pick whatever one I could dump enough ranch on not to taste it like. And that's I think what the Mariners starters look at like they Okay, well there, here's all the scenarios, and we're going to do this.
Speaker 3: And you're right, the underlying thing is is keeping.
Speaker 4: Them all stretched out, because the value is isn't having stretched out starters. Now, whether that's a picture gets injured and you can just slot the other one in, or yes, maybe moving one of those guys in the trade, you know, whether it's Louis Castillo, who everybody says is the most logical option, that's one thing you could do, Like could they move Louis Castillo for that right handed bat with a contract Castillo's of money this year and next year? You know, similar like with Matt Chapman who's owed a lot of money. Can you swap the major league contracts? Make that work? But you can't.
Speaker 3: Those guys lose all their.
Speaker 4: Value if they're not stretched out, you know, I mean, especially to a team that's trying to contend or wants them right now you're trading for a major league star, or you want them to be able to start. So that is the underlying factor in all of this is keeping everybody stretched out. And you would say, well, what happens if you trade a starter and then somebody gets hurt. Well, the Mariners have Kate Anderson down at double A who is carving up double A, so they can go in that route. And they also have Ryan Sloan, who's probably the best right handed pitching prospect in baseball down in double A, who is moving up and it seems to be on an accelerated pace as well. So yeah, that's I think the underlying reason for the piggyback. It's a strategy that you're doing for a long term benefit of staying, keeping guys stretch out or making a move, and that's what you have to remember when in the short term it probably irritates everyone involved.
Speaker 7: Have you had a chance to uh talk to him or hear any of the fallout kind of from this Nailer and Hedges incident from last time?
Speaker 4: Not really, I mean, like, you know, Josh, I saw Josh talking with Manny Act a little bit probably about the situation, and like we joke with Josh when he walked by. Josh, we like you you know, like because like literally nobody likes you. Well, we like him, you know, I mean he's entertaining guy. I just think that's who Josh is as a player. He is going to try and get under his opponent's skin. We saw that this year in Detroit. You know, the sticking the elbow up to get hit by the curve ball. I mean, that's not uncommon in baseball. I mean you, I mean, you're in a college game. That's what you do. But like just I think they were irritated too when he did the deck in front of Rochio and the ground ball and Rokio threw it into the stands. You know, he was staring at Josh like what are you doing. Josh will take every single advantage to beat you, and he makes you know, he gives zero apologies for it. Like I watched a game where he played against his brother. He didn't speak to him the entire time Oh got to first base. Josh never spoke to him. It was crazy, But that's what he's trying to do. He's trying to beat you. He doesn't care if you like him or not. He makes no apologies. He's a lot like aj you know, I mean, like it's like Osny Gihan said about aj when you when you play against him, when you really you really hate him, and when he's on your team, you hate him.
Speaker 3: Just a little less.
Speaker 4: I mean, like I think I do think Josh's teammates really like him. I do think they, but you know, I'm sure they kind of look at him going damn, what are you doing here?
Speaker 5: Bro?
Speaker 4: But that's you know, that's how he plays. That's he needs. I think he needs to operate on that edge for success. I thought he played really well in the Guardian series, and I mean, if you been around the Guardians, there's a reason why Josh played really well in that series because he's trying to get back at them. Didn't like the organization, didn't like how he was treated, didn't think he was fair how they treated at some of his teammates. So he's going to try and get back at him and show them what they missed out on. I mean, like, that's if that's what you need to operate on the edge, or to find that kind of motivation to go out there and really give the extra you know, to find that success, and that's what you do. I mean, it's like Michael Jordan thinking every player in the world that ever guarded him, it snubbed him at one point in his life.
Speaker 3: Like that's what you do to get up, then that's what you do. I took that personally exactly.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's the thing is like Josh takes a lot of things personally and doesn't forget. And you know, I don't think he's the only pro athlete that does that. It's just he does it in a way that's a lot more open. It's just like the signaling of pitches and the tipping up pitches, he does not care, you know, and we don't even know if those are real or not. He doesn't care, like if he thinks it's going to get advantage, if he thinks that one pitch that he tips or the location that he tips allows somebody to a home run and they win the game, and that's ultimately what he cares about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's good, right, It's like, what are you going to do? Hit me?
Speaker 5: Cool?
Speaker 2: Then I get first base? That helps me too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's definitely that guy, which I like. I mean, many teams feel like they need someone like that. So I know the Mariners were eager to keep him, and they did great to have you on great to catch up with you, Ryan. Appreciate the time in and check out Ryan's articles in the Seattle Times.
Speaker 2: We'll talk to you soon, Bud.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Kip, just keep that cap and gown ready.
Speaker 4: You know when they make you an honorary doctorate there at Arizona State too, you'll just speak at the graduation or anything like that.
Speaker 3: Keep it up, Keep it up, Washington, get up, doctor kidness.
Speaker 5: That got a good time to bring to it. Thank you right.
Speaker 1: With over thirty five million downloads, seakeeek is the number one rated ticketing app and crats. There are many many baseball games on the inventory to check out all summer long. This is the season now, it is baseball baseball season. Not many other options for you sports wise. I know you can go anywhere you want to go with seakeek. There's so many tickets to choose from, but baseball center stage.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 5: For the next couple months, school's out, I'm going to watch some baseball games, some big league games, all in my area, and I want to know exact actly what it looks like. And I also want the best deal. So I'm looking for the green, not the red.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: The green hooks you up with the best deals on the app. Of course, we have the code it's Territory ten for ten percent off your next set of tickets at Sea Geek. That's ten percent off any MLB tickets with the promo code Territory one zero. Make sure you click the link in the description of this episode that'll download the app if you don't have it already, and you'll have the code automatically added to your account so that you can use that code later.
Speaker 2: Thank you, see Geek.
Speaker 1: Let's suck to Myrlin Speed, writer and editor for fish On. First, It's Isacazoo and it's your birthday today, dude.
Speaker 2: It is my birthday today. I'm turning twenty. Happy birthday, Happy birthday. All right.
Speaker 1: Still in prime baseball year, which is great. We love that the front offices won't get after you until you hit thirty. Then they're going to say you're declining on your writing and all of that. But you look great right now. You've got two years left, so let's really make the most of it. Let's talk about this team. Why are they so good in June? And do you think that they will buy some bats at the trade deadline?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 8: What a month, right? Nineteen and six in the month of June. A chance to get twenty wins this month tonight in Colorado with Eury Perez on the mound. And I know it's a cliche, but it's just been a combination of all facets of this team right now that has contributed to this team being so good. I'll start with the starting pitching, Samuel Contra capping off a six to oh month of June for this team. Max Meyer has not endured a loss on a decision all year long.
Speaker 2: He's nine and zero. He should be a lot to be an All Star.
Speaker 8: And then guys like Tyler Phillips and Ryan Gusso have been, you know, holding their own in that rotation. After injuries came to Uri Perez and Chance and Junk and Robbie Snelling, they've really had to depend on other guys and they've been coming through. And that's just not even discussing the offense that has just been superb for the most part. We all know about their All star middle infield and Auto Lopez and Xavier Edwards, but then you look at guys like Joe Mack coming really into his own at the plate while being simultaneously the best defensive catcher in baseball. I will say that you see Owen Casey get to going, Cayl Stowers is finally looking like last year's Kyle Star Wars Griffin Cohen and his back off the il. He hit one into outer space last night to really secure the win for them. And it's just been a well rounded group of guys for this Marlins team that has contributed to them having one of the best months in franchise history.
Speaker 5: I'm not even gonna go with June. I'm gonna go with the date that Joe Mack came up. How much a team that is built on pitching because they supposedly have cavalcades of pitchers coming from the minor leagues in the bullpen and into the bullpen, to the rotation, all that stuff, and you bring in a Joe Mack. Liam Hicks was almost a All Star before his injury. How much has Joe Mack changed this success and can he be or is it too early in his career to say this guy's a winning catcher. No matter what he does offensively.
Speaker 2: He's a winning catcher.
Speaker 8: The intangibles that he provides you know when he's not or just on the basis every his baseball IQ was just enormous in my opinion. And yeah, you circle that day when he didn't make his major league debuts of Marlin and you know what, obviously Ramirez is a great player, but you could just tell instantly the difference for the starting pitchers for the relievers. Everyone's throwing to that catcher is just a different ballgame. For you know, teams aren't running crazy on the Marlins anymore. They are looking forward to teams running on them because they know Joe Mack is more than likely going to throw them.
Speaker 2: Out at the plate.
Speaker 8: His receiving is incredible, his blocking is impeccable, and he's just really been a hell of an addition to this Marlins team over the last month and a half or so. And yeah, if he starts hitting offensively, I don't think it even matters what he does offensively, but the fact that he is holding his own with the bat, I think that's a real start that they have. And if it were me, I would try and hold on hold on to him for as long as possible.
Speaker 5: I mean, part of this too, maybe coincides with the no more pitches from the dugout. So was it the fact that Augustine Ramirez they changed. They changed exactly, how like it's now the catcher's first choice is what I read? Did I get that wrong?
Speaker 8: From what I understand, the pitches are still being called from the dugout.
Speaker 5: It didn't change when Joe Mack got called up, So it's a completely okay, So I lied. I'll ask a different question then, Is the changes that he's made behind the dish going to change anything when Liam Hicks comes back? Is the fact? Is he going to be a five day a week guy? Is he going to be a three to four day a week guy. It's going to be a split duties.
Speaker 8: That's a great question. When he was called the initially Hicks was on the roster, and from what I was told, it was going to be Max starts behind the plate against right handed pitching and he would maybe DH or maybe he'd just be on the bench against left handed pitching, where Hicks would get the bulk of starting against those matchups. But you know, Mac has just been so good and so valuable, and you can see how much these guys.
Speaker 2: Like throwing to him.
Speaker 8: I think he can start a five days a week no matter who's on the mound for the opposing team. You just look at the numbers. The era since he's been called up has just been it's been dropping ever since, and so I do see him being there every single day guy, especially with the fact that you know they don't love what they're getting out of first base d ah.
Speaker 2: I think they could.
Speaker 8: They would love to have Hicks just focus on hitting and be their designated hitter, or maybe getting some starts at first space as well. But it's really just nice to have a plethora of options for this team behind the dish, when just a couple of years ago they couldn't find one solid option.
Speaker 2: By the way, I screwed the Rockies, right.
Speaker 5: I read a lot of articles, but I'm not good at reading, so I screwed it up. It was the Rockies and not the Marlins, so right.
Speaker 2: Just for clarification with our fans.
Speaker 1: Right, So those are the two teams known to have either all or many.
Speaker 2: Pitches suggested from the dugout.
Speaker 1: What I read recently too, is that the Rockies were pausing that temporarily. The Marlins are still roaring, and I mean, Isaac, you know this. They're doing many things differently, and that's part of what Peter Bendix was going to do right is, Hey, if you're Marlin's ownership, you're going to bring in the guy who was part of a front office up the road that clearly was able to turn a little into a lot. Do you feel as if he's been putting his own stamp on what he's doing? Like, I feel like there's some experimentation, especially with I mean that's a good example of course, from calling pitches in the dugout to finding diamonds in the rough like an Otto Lopez and really look at their better hitters right now, right Hicks, no one wanted him, even Xavier Edwards wasn't like the key piece of the trade and he had bounced around a little bit. So what do you feel like the stamp is of this organization that actually dippers it from the rays.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's all innovation. You hear that word all over the place, especially with GM Gabe Capler. Think that's a great example of some of that Peter Bendix stamp is bringing in Gabe Kapler to be their main GM, and it's just innovation all over the place. You mentioned the pitch calling from the dugout, You mentioned the traject machines, which now every team does it. They have these strange different balls that they used for batting practice, which you're seeing more all around major League Baseball. It's just different stuff all over the place, whether it's before the game, after the game, during the game. It's just innovation all around, and it is great to see just these diamonds and the rough guys like Tyler Phillips, for example, he has been aside from one clunker in Philadelphia, he has been such a valuable asset to that pitching staff all season long, and he was traded for what was it cash right before opening day last year. So I think just finding these these gems, these hidden gems all over the place. Also is one of Peter Bendix's stamps, because hey, I mean Outo Lopez. He was designated for assignment twice before Peter picked him up, and now he's arguably an all start shortstop.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 7: This month has definitely turned them into buyers. If anything right, they're not gonna work, They're not gonna have this great month, get back into it, and because still be sellers or what are you hearing or what are you thinking?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I spoke to someone in the organization earlier this morning, and you know, with caution, a lot can happen between now in August third. But I assuming that they are in a similar position that they are in now, which is holding a third wildcard spot a few games over five hundred, you're definitely going to see some additions to the major league team. Now. I don't expect them to be trading a top five prospect for any two month rentals.
Speaker 2: I don't see them.
Speaker 8: Going all in quote unquote, that's just not the Peter Bendix way. It's to be as good as possible for as long as possible, as soon as possible. We hear that over and over again. But I do see them, you know, selling high on certain guys. That's sort of the Tama Bay Rays wigh as well. And if there's a prospect that's really shot up his stock this year, maybe like a Carson Millbrandt, I wouldn't be shocked to see some higher tier prospects dealt for some long term major league help as well.
Speaker 2: But certainly if they're in a playoff spot.
Speaker 8: Or even close to it, you'll definitely see some additions made to the major roster because there's some holes on that roster for.
Speaker 7: Sure, and now where that was my follow up question, what holes would you like to see if they're going to be buyers, if you're going to see additions, what holes needed to be filled in?
Speaker 5: First?
Speaker 8: I think first and foremost third base. Third base has been a black hole of offense. I believe they're having the worst offensive production all of Major League Baseball from that position there the WRC plus it's got to be in the seventies at third base, and that's a position that you want to see some offense from. So I do think that they're going to try and fill that hole a little bit. They had a guy maybe Jacob Barry would have been called up, but he has not been performing too well. So I could see them plugging a hole there at the trade deadline, as well as some pitching depth. I don't think we'll see them going after a reliever because they've built really one of the better bullpens in all of Major League Baseball with some of those obscure names that you know, no one really valued except for Peter and then so I would see like maybe a bridge edition sort of like a Ryan Gusto, Teyler Phillips guy, or someone that could sort of bridge innings for them because they're gonna need some death assuming you know, no injuries happened the Euri Perez went down Chats and Judge should come back in the next couple of weeks. But they could definitely use some more pitching depth, And I think that's the avenue that they would go to because they could use some help. They're fortunate that they're that they're in the position they're in, given how many injuries they've endured, all.
Speaker 5: Right, so does that completely relieve them of an He talks about Sandy al Contra.
Speaker 8: Well before the season, I was told that just because they trade Sandy doesn't necessarily mean they're selling up, that they're giving up on the year, right, But personally, I don't see how you can trade the guy who just went six to zero in the month of June and who is your leader and who is your all time strikeout king and not be sort of waving the white flag. So it's going to be a really tough decision to make. This is also going to be at the hands of Bruce Sherman. He's going to have to press a proof on whatever potential deal does come to his desk. If they're five to ten games over five hundred and in a wildcard position. I don't see how you can do it. But remember this is Peter Bendix. This is someone that is not emotionally invested the way I am, for example, the way fans are. So if he thinks that there's a deal to be made where the team can still be just as good and he can really better the future of the team by trading this man, then he's going to do it, or he's at least going to suggest it to the owners. So I couldn't tell you what percentage it would be that Sandy's gone, but I think the better that they play, the lower that percentage goes.
Speaker 5: You said, Peter Bendix is not a fan. He's just going to make the decisions. Is the owner a fan, because there's some momentum going on. Not all owners are fans. So that's why I asked that is he a fan? Because if he is, there's no way. But if he isn't, then you go, well, then this is the history of the Marlins based on other owners.
Speaker 2: He's a big baseball fan.
Speaker 8: He cares a lot, He watches almost every single game, and he has opinions on a lot of the managerial decisions. He's a really cool guy who is a big Saniel Gantada fan. Sandy was traded to the Marlins two months after Bruce Sherman bought the team, so they have been completely overlapped with each other over the last nine seasons. He has seen what Sandy has meant to the organization, to the community, to the city, to that stadium, to the attendance in that stadium or lack thereof, And so yes, to answer your question, Bruce Shervan certainly is a fan of Sandiel Cantara and it would not be an easy conversation to have when Peter does eventually find a deal made for Sandy, and to go upstairs and tell Bruce it's not gonna be a sure go ahead, there's gonna be a conversation.
Speaker 5: Hat all right, Pete Fairbanks shows he's healthy, he's back. Is there somebody that they could have step into the closer role that they feel comfortable with if somebody comes calling, Because, like you said, Peter Bendex is fine, fine with adding talent for the long term. But also what did you say the short term or the now? I forget exactly what you said. It was a catchy phrase.
Speaker 8: Yeah, as good as possible, for as long as possible, as soon as possible. You're saying, if Pete is traded, could they find someone? To me, it seems like Pete's their guy. I think if there's one reliever that they could move on from, it would be him, given how much money he's being owed. And they do have some really high leverage arms. Like I said, it's one of the better bullpens in all of Major League Baseball. We've seen Anthony Bender receive a lot of high leverage spots. We've seen John King come in, Michael Peterson come in. So I don't see them moving on from any of those other relievers should they be in the playoff race. But if one guy could be dangled, maybe it's Pete Fairbanks. But like I said, if they continue to win, it just wouldn't make much sense to remove someone from that bullpen, even though he's not performing as well as he would have liked. They do have some pretty attractive options down in TRIPAA as well. Josh eacknest is supposed to come off the aisle soon as well, so they've got a plethora of bullpen options to work with.
Speaker 1: As a last one for you just to get the pulse of Miami, And I know it's always super competitive down there to try and get fans to care, especially mid season.
Speaker 2: How do you feel the pulses right now?
Speaker 1: Like do fans realize that this team's got a little something cooking or does the lack of starf our power right like there's not a lot of known names on this team kind of hurt things when you're marketing. I know, right because I've lived down there too. It's like good is only one layer. You actually have to be like, oh, we're going to see so and so, right, We're going to see Jose Fernandez or John Carlos stand So what's it like down there? Since I don't live there at this moment, I'm an Orlando guy.
Speaker 8: They've had some pretty successful promotional weekends over the last couple of weeks that maybe have skewed the attendants a little bit. I know, the FanFest was a big success. We saw the all the Scottish fans come over to Lone Deepo Park.
Speaker 2: That was a lot of fun.
Speaker 8: So it's this difficult for me to gauge exactly how much of that is because of the product on the field. I know that the World Cup is probably overshadowed a little bit of what's going on at Lone Deepot Park. Jan It's not that the Kumbo coming to the Miami Heat probably won't help that much either. But you know, when this road trip is all said and done, after they finished with Colorado, they've got one more series over the weekend in Sacramento. We'll see how much how many fans show up. But to me, it was pretty loud at Loan Deepo Park over the weekend. With Sandy's breaking records and they're winning ball games and their winning series against the Texas Rangers, there seems to be a little bit more buzz in the air. And it wasn't just because of the Scottish people. It was because of those Marlins fans that were well known on what was happening with the ball club and that they're competing for a playoff spot.
Speaker 1: Finally, Okay, good to know. Yeah, I mean, all they can do is put dubs together. Isaac, good stuff man, happy birthday.
Speaker 2: Enjoy it. Thank you guys very much. I appreciate it. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Same.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 1: That's Isaacazoo from fish On First, a Marlin speet writer and by the way, you can check out the show here. It is a little promo page for you. Clayton McCullough stops by frequently Marlin's manager to chat with the guys, So if you want to see the latest episode with Clayton McCullough, you can go find that on the Fish on First podcast page wherever you get your pods, and also on their YouTube channel part of the FT Network. Also, I've been told Ata Lopez might join us next week and we'll try and give him some pub because he deserves to be an All Star