Speaker 1: Hey, the folks, it is Monday, August seventeenth. Shocking news this morning that actress Hayden Panetier has died at the age of thirty six, and with that, welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ Rogues. Thirty six. A young life, a troubled life, but also a life that, for the most part, has been lived in the spotlight.
Speaker 2: Yes she you know, first of all, just what a shocking, incredibly sad story to wake up to, especially for so many people who knew her and loved her and believed most of her struggles and all the pain that she has been so public about were behind her. She had just released a memoir and it seemed by most people's accounts that she was on the right path. She finally found her way after multiple stints and rehab and dealing with loss and dealing with a really painful custody situation. It seemed like she was building her life back together. But yes, she became an actress so to speak, at eight months old. That's hard to imagine. She had been in dozens of commercials by the time she was five. She lived her life in the spotlight.
Speaker 3: And we don't know as of this recording what happened.
Speaker 1: No cause of death was released, but we did get official word from her dad that she had passed away. Again, this is a young lady. You just mentioned the memoir that just came out in May. I do believe, but she's so young, and really I guess the past, and I guess most people what would be the thing robes we would point to first that people know her from, Well, what would it be? Because the screen movies were pretty recent.
Speaker 2: Nashville was a pretty big hit. That was a huge hit for ABC, but people remember people talk about her breakout role being Heroes, where she was that cheerleader on NBC. People started to get to really know her and know her by her name write at about sixteen, but she had been in I mean, going through her IMBD. It's too much to even put all in one episode. That's just how much this young lady had been working since she I mean, she doesn't remember a time in her life where she wasn't working. And part of that pressure and part of that scrutiny of being a child actor many people will be examining as playing a role into many of her struggles that may have ultimately led to her untimely death.
Speaker 1: You know that are going to be pointing to you. Probably already saw it this morning as well. I believe it was a variety that had the headline Hollywood failed Hayden Benetier correct, and it went through all. I mean, she's detailed these before, but the story after store of how she was exploited, how she was you could even argue sexually abused in Hollywood, and just kept going. It was kind of an accepted thing. She details all that stuffes and a lot of it led to all kinds of troubles that she had with addiction, with alcoholism and in relationship problem all she's doing all of this in front of the world en robes at the same time fighting for roles in Hollywood. I mean that's stressful enough. So this and I saw the age, I said, Jesus, because she's still she always has the little cheerleader look to her. She looks the way she looked in Heroes still kind of I couldn't believe.
Speaker 3: She was just thirty six.
Speaker 2: It's hard to believe. I mean, yes, she's been in our lives. We've known of Hayden Penetier since as long as I can remember. And I didn't realize how young she still was. That was actually one of the more shocking things to me to see that she was only thirty six. Because we've known her for the past twenty years, I expected her to be much older. Granted she looks like she's still a teenager for sure, but to know that her birthday, her thirty seventh birthday, would have been this Friday, August twenty first, What a damn shame like it. I've never met her, I've never come across her, but we all felt like we knew her, and we all are mourning this shocking loss of her, because, yeah, we we were kind of along for the ride. She brought us along with her, whether she wanted to or not. We were watching, We were witnessing.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 1: To a degree. I'm trying to think of other examples of this. Some Britney Spears comes to mind. Yes, But there are some people who begin as child actors. We are, for whatever reason, when they become adults a little more protective of them. We still see them in some way as folks who always, even as they get older and maybe make some mistakes and have troubles, we're willing to. We almost want to put our arms around them. They were kids and.
Speaker 3: They grew up.
Speaker 1: It's almost like we raised them to some degree. And she just feels that way. She was troubled and to see another and I say Britney spears and that she was a young she was a child. Yes, she had made hits, but to some degree still to watch her, you feel some sense of that with some of these folks who came up in an industry that you know, at those young ages, they were exploited, absolutely.
Speaker 3: Used and exposed to things that no kids should be.
Speaker 2: And she has been and had been very passionate about protecting child actors because she knew all too well the dangers of being in the spotlight like that. And if there aren't people who are constantly protecting these young actors, unfortunately there is a lot of heartache that can follow them. And look to hear her and to see her write about all of these struggles, I think we remember them as they came up. She was very open about her postpartum struggle. She was very open about her alcohol and her subscription or prescription pill addiction. She was very open about domestic violence that she suffered from a boyfriend that followed the relationship we had with her ex fiance, which produced her young daughter. She lived apart from her daughter. Her daughter, her eleven year old daughter lives in Ukraine. The pain of that she lost her brother unexpectedly three years ago at the age of twenty eight. He had an enlarged heart. I mean, you just start to see trauma after trauma after trauma that this young woman has faced in the spotlight and ropes.
Speaker 1: So many of those things you mentioned happened very recently in her life, and a cluster of time where, yeah, I know the screen movies came out that's in recent years.
Speaker 2: Was twenty twenty three, I believe.
Speaker 1: She was in four and six? Yes, I think it was to have right, you do? So, yeah, maybe she's going through Hollywood is hard. Forget the personal stuff for a second, competing for roles, even getting the role, and then the reviews come and then all that stuff is difficult enough. She was managing and maintaining that while dealing with addiction in and out of rehab, custody, disputes, breakups and all these things. It seems like too much, quite frankly, but all those things you mentioned robes the X but I didn't realize the domestic violence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he went to jail for herm he did so, Yeah, and that should be point. It wasn't her just saying he was abusive to her. No, his name was Brian Hickerson. She dated him right when her marriage ended and her daughter was She allowed her daughter she did feel like in her ex fiance and they seem to have a really good relationship, but he was just like, my daughter is not our daughter is not safe in your presence. And I think she came to realize, even though she denied it, she realized she had a problem, and so she allowed him to take her and move to Ukraine with her. And in that same year she started dating this guy. I think he's a fellow actor. Don't know him from his work, Brian Hickerson. But he ended up pleading no contest to two fell counts of domestic violence and spent I think forty five years in forty five years forty five days behind bars for that. But yes, it was documented and she suffered emotional and physical abuse from him, and she describes it in her memoir.
Speaker 1: The Girls, When the girl went through hell, And I don't know what anybody is supposed to do from a public standpoint, from a fan standpoint, what do you do?
Speaker 3: Robes?
Speaker 1: Is it just supposed to be Really the people that are around her that should have protected her better. This is not to blame anybody for her death. I'm not saying that, but she describes a life of hell.
Speaker 3: Robes.
Speaker 1: I mean, we're celebrating, we're smiling, and she's a great actress, all these and she was living it through some hell that she describes.
Speaker 3: Robes.
Speaker 1: Everything you throw in there, addiction, abuse, relationship breakdowns, assaults, postpartum depression, throw it all, I mean ROMs.
Speaker 2: And look, we've been talking a lot about postpartum depression, psychosis, and this Lindsay Clancy murder trial that we've been talking about. This woman in Massachusetts who killed her three children, strangled them. She says she's not criminally responsible because of postpartum psychosis. But to hear I think I can never say her last name. This is awful for me. Pennatier, Hayden Pennatier was very outspoken. She is one of the first women I remember, or I recall, famous woman, a huge Hollywood star, actually describing what that process was like and what it was like to be that depressed on the set of Nashville. They actually remember had to write into her character's part about being pregnant because she was so visibly pregnant. But she said the whole time she was on the set she was starting to feel the effects of just depression and that just reared its ugly head right after her daughter was born in twenty fourteen, and then to lose custody of her when she was just three years old, be in a different country than your child as a mother is incredibly painful.
Speaker 1: And I'm not sure what I can only imagine what the public reaction was at the time. But when you hear a mother either losing or giving up custody of her child to a father, it immediately You talked about this very much recently. It brings judgment from other women.
Speaker 2: But I actually think how brave and courageous of her to do that, knowing that she was battling something that would negatively impact her daughter and was willing to sacrifice that. It can make me cry. She was willing to sacrifice being with her daughter because she knew her daughter was safer and better off with her father. That takes an unbelievable act of courage and selflessness I believe to abdicate that role in a physical presence. I mean, she talked about literally trying to help raise her via FaceTime and how no mother should have to do that. That is where she was at this point, she I mean, just listening to her own words. We don't know why, we don't know how officially she died, but we do have her words that she just recently gave us in this memoir, again released in May, but she said not being under the same roof with her every day has been the most gut wrenching experience of my life, she says. I grieve that I'm not the mother I thought i'd be, and definitely not the mother I want to be. Trust me, no one should ever raise a child on FaceTime. That obviously had to weigh heavily on her.
Speaker 1: I mean, who knows, I mean, and who knows how much more we'll find out. It's just to see one of these We saw what very recently we've been talking about Jason R. Day professor and just people getting pushed I guess robes by what by pressure by these She clearly had some real problems that she documented throughout, and we just talk about addiction and what robes This stuff messes with your brain chemistry.
Speaker 3: Right, and that's it.
Speaker 1: You're wired in such a way robes that you have that you can't it gets to a point you can't cope. And we're seeing that and we know this, And how do you help these folks? How do you identify it? How do you intervene? What are you supposed to do?
Speaker 2: I don't know. She had months, several months long stays in different rehab facilities, some for addictions, some for postpartum depression. She was seeking help. She was trying to get help, and I think I wonder, like this, really it's jarring to know that she wrote this memoir and she talked. I mean, she went on a big campaign. She gave speeches, she went on podcasts. Obviously, this is what you do when you promote your New York Times bestselling book. But her whole point was to help other people, to show other people that there was a way out, that there was a light at the end of the tunnel, and to hear like I just she was just on Jay Shetty's podcast. This is one of her last public interviews. And this is so chilling. Now, this is one of her final statements, she said, I finally feel like I've shaken off all of this darkness and this negativity, and that means I've closed one door and another is open. She said she could feel the exciting possibilities. I feel like I have a lot more life to live. I wonder if by writing this book and talking about how there's hope and how she'd overcome, if maybe somehow a setback was just too much. At that point, she'd already publicly said I've gotten through the tough times. I've made it past this darkness. I'm now in the light, and then maybe just putting that out there publicly and then having some sort of setback just was too much to face, too much to bear.
Speaker 3: We have no idea.
Speaker 1: We just have no idea what was going on in her life at this particular moment that led to this, And we do not have a cause of death.
Speaker 3: So yeah, folks will right now.
Speaker 1: This is just this is a tragedy the extent to which we don't quite know. We don't we know what her life was was. I don't know what her life is because by all accounts, it where it should have been is a place that didn't result in this. So what was there an event that triggered it? What happened? We just don't know.
Speaker 2: And to your point, when we come back, we will talk about all the stars, all the people who worked with her, who loved her, who have reacted online, and most of them have reacted with absolute shock. Welcome back everyone to Amy and TJ. We mentioned that her father, Hayden Panetier's father is the one who announced her death, and I think maybe we should read his statement just so you can hear. And the family did ask for privacy, as you might imagine, but he wrote, it is with profound sadness that we share the tragic passing of our beloved Hayden. She was an incredible light and a force of names who brought immeasurable love and joy to all who knew her and the millions who watched her on screen. And I don't know if you've read or seen any of the comments. Just as people are waking up or just finding out about her death, but literally everyone is saying, this can't be real. I love you, don't be gone. Please say this isn't true. I mean, we're talking about Selma Blair. David Arquette Biola Davis, Kelly Osborne. It just everyone who worked with her, loved her, knew her. They're all saying, wait, how is this possible. I just spoke with you, things were going well, I mean, and someone even saying I should have known, I didn't. I'm so sorry for every moment I didn't reach out or I didn't check in. And this is what often happens with these types of situations. People always wonder what they could have done differently.
Speaker 1: Well, here's your answer. Don't ever hesitate when somebody's on your mind to reach out. I learned to live by that in the past several years. But under if somebody crosses your mind, send a note. If they don't write back, doesn't matter that you shouldn't need it. I just know how it feels on the other end to be in a desperate situation and that phone buzzes and to see somebody just gives a damn to reach out to say hi. It makes a difference. So I'll keep preaching that robes don't ever hesitate. There's some people listening now, friends of ours, who are laughing because they've gotten that message. For me, at some point in the past five years, didn't want to think cross my mind, and didn't want to pass up an opportunity to say hello, hope you're good.
Speaker 3: Send that message all the time.
Speaker 2: And that's how you have no regrets, because yes, people do need to know that people care. And it did appear that so many people loved her. I do look back, though, you start to look at her resume, and it really is you can't imagine how it wouldn't take a toll on somebody to just be constantly working. I mean, it wasn't just like she had a few roles here and there. I mean it was she and by all accounts, remarkably talented, highly intelligent, and super efffescent and bubbly. And it's just so sad to think that because and you see this in so many tragic cases. I even think about someone like Whitney Houston. When you have someone who's so talented, who's such a hard worker, who is constantly working, and their art is everywhere, and somehow it's almost as if they've been taken advantage of, they've been used, they've been a pawn in the entertainment industry, and they ultimately pay with their own lives in the most tragic of ways. And it does kind of feel like this is one of those cases.
Speaker 1: Okay, we all very curious to know what happened, given that she seemed to be doing so well, very curious to know what happened. But for the time being, I mean we she stretched enough, she touched I guess enough variety of art robes that she made something that I'm interested in, that I was a fan of, that, you were a fan of that, your daughters were a fan of that, my daughter was a fan of and just it's go mean. And even though she was didn't have a starring role, she was in remember the type I was just going to say that one, even that, right, she has just been a part of some bitty, pretty big I guess, cultural moments and very popular films in that way.
Speaker 2: Until Dawn. We just watched that one recently, until Don that horror movie she was in so good. Obviously we love Scream four, in Scream six and her last film we haven't seen it, Sleepwalker. It's a psychological thriller, but that was out in January. So yeah, she was working the entire time. She was going through some debilitating personal issues that so many people have faced. Just one of those crises that she went through would be enough to bring people or bring someone to the brink. She had just tragedy after tragedy after tragedy, and ultimately now we all wake up to this awful news and we just we wish the best for those who knew her, loved her, her family. This has got to just be so devasitting. I think about her family who lost their son to a just an unexpected heart failure at twenty and now they've lost their daughter, both of their they were there each other's only siblings, So I just I feel for that family. It's uh, it's beyond tragic. But wanted to put this on your radar and I'm sure we'll get a lot more information in the days to come about what led up to her untimely death. And with that, everyone, we always appreciate you listening to us. I'm Amy Roboch alongside TJ. Holmes. We'll talk soon.