Speaker 1: So rider, this is going to affect you not at all.
Speaker 2: You are gonna come with us, because we're going to insist you come with us. But nothing I'm going to say right now is going to make you happy or care or in any way, shape or form involved in what's going to happen next.
Speaker 3: Sports.
Speaker 2: That being said, Danielle, it's a sports conversation, okay. And I just found I am not a huge baseball fan. Had we had so much fun going to the Phillies game with the way I treated there and throwing out the pitch, watching you do that in the Tops Baseball Cards.
Speaker 1: It was so much fun.
Speaker 2: But unless I go to a baseball game, I'm not really invested in baseball.
Speaker 1: It's just too slow a game for me.
Speaker 4: However, are you watching the Savannah Bananas.
Speaker 1: No, I'm not watching the Savannah Nanas.
Speaker 2: I am, however, going to start going to the Cardinals games, and you're going to start coming with me. Okay, So we're gonna have to fly there and we're going to have to go there because the Cardinals, in partnership with Coca Cola, have launched all you can eat seats.
Speaker 5: What you buy these seats and then it's just freaking you're a raffle ticket for everything to eat.
Speaker 2: In the park, everything you want to eat, including, but not limited to, apparently ice cold, Coca Cola products, hot dogs, chicken tenders, brought worst, nacho chips and cheese fries, popcorn, peanuts, kettle chips, ice cream cups.
Speaker 3: I'd like five minutes in.
Speaker 1: Stretches for you. Stretch it out and you're good to go, and then you can eat more.
Speaker 2: So you literally pay for the ticket, you watch the games, and.
Speaker 6: Games you could just wait. You could also just like eat in the first in second.
Speaker 4: Can go a little early.
Speaker 7: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: They receive and can select up the three items per visit from a dedicated concession stand located near the section, and they can return as often as.
Speaker 1: They want with no checkout dinner.
Speaker 2: Yes, the only thing better would be watching a game and actually in front of that buffet rider was talking about it the Queen Mary, but unlimited. So I mean again, we're gonna have to go to Saint Louis to watch a Cardinals game.
Speaker 1: But it's worth it just for.
Speaker 5: That flight is more expensive probably than paying for the food.
Speaker 2: I don't want to do math. I just want to get there. And just eat a whole bunch of stuff. So I'm going to assume the flight will be free or cheap.
Speaker 5: We should just can we should think of maybe convincing the Dodgers to.
Speaker 2: Do this so that we don't have to fly, or the Cardinals to fly us there and do a podcast from the.
Speaker 4: That's a good I think.
Speaker 1: So that's why I said, Rider, you're not going to care about this at all, but this was big news for me.
Speaker 2: Assume Danielle would would want to get there as well.
Speaker 5: We just bought the YouTube cable. You know you can watch TV. We just because it's the only way for us to watch baseball games. And as you know, I have a jock son who needs to watch baseball games and he's obsessed with the Dodgers and it's very cute, and so yeah, we're I'm going to be I'm going to be watching lots of games.
Speaker 1: You can't watch. You can't watch baseball on like regular cable, Like if you gotcha, I'm getting rid of mine. It's unnecessary.
Speaker 4: It's just necessary.
Speaker 5: And the Dodgers have a special deal, so it's not just like the Dodgers you can only watch on YouTube. So okay, oh, guys, the TV landscapes.
Speaker 2: Just can I tell you something crazy. I've lived in Los Angeles for thirty five years. Yeah, never been to a Dodgers game. Oh, I've never had a Dodger dog.
Speaker 4: Wow, we're like six, let's do it.
Speaker 2: Is not that crazy. Never been to a Dodger game. Never had a Dodger dog.
Speaker 7: There's Dodgers. Let's do it.
Speaker 4: Let's do a Dodgers podcast.
Speaker 2: To a Lakers game. I've done the Clippers and I've done I think I went to see the Mighty Ducks and I might have seen an Angels game.
Speaker 7: Maybe.
Speaker 4: I mean, I.
Speaker 5: Gotta take you guys to I gotta take you guys, show you guys LA.
Speaker 1: So that's yeah. Never had a Dodger to a Sparks game. I would love to go to.
Speaker 4: That's w n B A w n B A and it's fun.
Speaker 2: So you have to keep in mind it was my mom who taught me how to taught the boys how to play basketball, and the Yukon Husky women have been religion in my house since I was born.
Speaker 1: So, so w n B A would be a ton of fun. That's that's an easy transition for me.
Speaker 2: But I wouldn't mind seeing a Dodger game, but I think there's a limit on the food you can get at a Dodger game.
Speaker 1: As opposed to the Cardinals. No limit.
Speaker 5: Let me tell you something, it's unlimited food when you've got a credit card.
Speaker 2: I was going to say, you just again, then you're paying.
Speaker 7: See we'll bring the middle.
Speaker 1: But you also realize if it's free, there's no calories.
Speaker 5: Rule.
Speaker 4: I forgot that rule. I've been eating so healthy.
Speaker 3: Why dancing with the Stars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but now you're done, So why you said before all you're eating is cottage cheese, which bait.
Speaker 1: Look at that. Wow god, oh wow.
Speaker 3: That's amazing.
Speaker 1: But you said you're eating a ton of cottage cheese. So so much.
Speaker 4: Cottage chicken and apples.
Speaker 1: Disgusting.
Speaker 4: It's so good. Gold good culture. Cottage cheese is good.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I basically went on, you know, Will We've talked many a time, especially around New Year's Resolutions, about how this is the year getting into the shape of my life, and knowing I was going on tour like dancing through you know, doing Dancing with the Stars, I was like, this is a perfect opportunity to just actually kickstarted and then knowing I was going on tour for a month and was going to be living and breathing and eating all the same things that the dancers do in front of me. I just decided, you're gonna be dancing for two hours a day, eat like them, work out like them, and you're king it. So I did, and it means I've just been eating very clean. There's no joy at all in my life. But I but I look Chris.
Speaker 6: That's the thing though, I've noticed it too, right, Like it changes the way you feel better and all that.
Speaker 4: Kind I am.
Speaker 5: I'm sleeping really well, I feel like I have energy all throughout the day.
Speaker 4: I feel I.
Speaker 5: Mean, just in general, just feel so much lighter on my feet. I'm more like willing to do whatever it is. Like my kids want to go run around outside and do something, I'm much more willing to be like, Okay, yeah, let's go do it.
Speaker 4: I just generally feel better.
Speaker 5: And obviously now that I've been home, I've been keeping up with working out consistently and and yeah, just eating really well.
Speaker 2: But so it's I'm getting starting to get frustrated because I have a trainer. I'm working hard with my trainer. I'm eating well, I'm drinking almost non alcohol, but I'm almost fifty, and it's so much harder to take off, like, so much harder to take the weight off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, even from the pandemics.
Speaker 2: When I started the pandemic, I lost a ton of weight and it came off pretty quick.
Speaker 1: And I'm doing kind of the same thing now. I'm doing factor.
Speaker 2: And I'm calorie counting and I'm working out how I'm working heavy with weights and still doing the right kind of cardio, and it's like it's my body's changing, but I'm not really losing any weight. So it's like, yeah, there's it's a it's you can tell. I mean that four years or whatever, five years, big difference. It's a big difference at being fifty than being forty five. Big difference.
Speaker 1: So maybe cottage cheese will do it for I'm.
Speaker 4: Telling you, I'm telling your cottage cheese and chicken skewer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, could you do me a favorite?
Speaker 2: With every bite of cottage cheese I take, could you just come and kick me in the nuts, because it'll be exactly the same thing.
Speaker 4: It's not awesome awesome. You could drizzle some hot honey on it.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that's amazing. It's how you've changed the whole thing from me.
Speaker 4: Now I love the texture.
Speaker 1: You told yourself that I love it. It is my favorite.
Speaker 4: Welcome to vod meets the World. I'm Daniel Fishal, I'm right or strong, and I'm tired all day.
Speaker 1: I'm Wilfordell.
Speaker 5: While we tried to dance on a pool table for laughs or awkwardly watch an aspiring girl group perform in a diner, there were young actors on every other channel doing much cooler things. We've openly admitted we were jealous of the popular kids over on Dawson's Creek and Nowhere Near is internationally famous as our aggressive basketball opponents from Home Improvement. And yet there was another show that somehow was able to accomplish both. How big was Beverly Hill's nine O two one zero, The young adult drama that ran for ten seasons, redefined the traditionally senior citizen genre of the soap opera while helping Fox transform from network punchline to legitimate broadcasting competitor. At its peak, it drew in twenty million viewers per episode, catapulting its young cast into a pop culture frenzy that landed them on Saturday Night Live, or the cover of Rolling Stone, or even making music with their favorite rap group of the time. And that's exactly what this week's guest did. He played the fan favorite Cavarrici wearing running Man, doing best Friend Losing after Dark, running freshman nerd turned heart throb David Silver for all ten seasons of the show almost three hundred episodes, making the most of a once in a generation Hollywood journey that not only spawned its spinoffs like melrose Place and Models, Inc. But paved the way for the OC, Gossip Girl and Euphoria. So welcome to Pod meets World our favorite nineties TV star turned hip hop musician. Please no until Joey Lawrence I said that it's Brian Austin Green.
Speaker 3: Jerry Lawrence wasn't hip hop though, was he?
Speaker 2: He was more, Well, there's nothing nothing is love can't fix for you, baby?
Speaker 1: Wow, you actually know?
Speaker 7: Am I hearing Joey Lawrence?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 7: Okay, welcome to the pod. It's amazing that you knew it too. Nothing my love can't fix for you, baby. He was in a tank top on the beach playing flag football with a bunch of women.
Speaker 1: Yes, and he threw the ball to himself.
Speaker 7: Right, he did as you should when you're trying to look awesome. Look, that's exactly what you do. You throw the ball to yourself. Yeah, and you and you run it in for a touchdown, which everybody else is taking a nap, because that is the way to do it. I love Joey. I love Joey so great. Oh my god, him and his brothers, their their podcast is so fun. And I love the fact that they're all so supportive of each other and love it.
Speaker 4: They have a great, great family for sure.
Speaker 7: So now for them, and let's get onto yours.
Speaker 4: Exactly. Thank you. I'm glad you said it. Let's start in Van Eyes.
Speaker 5: You were a valley kid whose parents drove in that one oh one traffic to take you to auditions. How did you convince them that little Brian could be an actor?
Speaker 7: Oh boy, that's a tough question. So yeah, I grew up in North Hollywood. I was I was riding the bus to uh thirty second Street USC Performing Arts School for elementary school every day, and one of the kids that I rode the bus with to school did commercials and I thought, oh, that's really cool because he told me, like he made a little money from things that he did, and I was like, that's amazing. I want to make some money because my like my my family was very middle class, but my dad was very He did not give money away easily. Like I had to convince him how this toy was going to better my future and you know, and I was like, well, it's a muppet puppet from the Muppet Show, but you know it's I'm gonna be a puppeteer one day, and so that's why I want this puppet. So I said to them, I was like, hey, I want to be an actor. And they said, if in six months you still want to do this, then we'll get into it and we'll look into it. And six months later I still did, so I went and met with my friend's agent and started doing commercials after about a year. But my parents, my mom, God bless her. She drove me everywhere. I mean I went to school all over the place, really far from the valley, and at that point in the eighties, it interviews were I would have three or four commercial auditions a day and they would be all over town. So she would come pick me up early from school, drive me around all these things in traffic and all of this stuff. She was an absolute saint. Wow.
Speaker 4: I know my mom too.
Speaker 5: We lived in Orange County and she would have to pick me up from school in Orange County, drive me all the.
Speaker 7: Way to LA in Orange County. That's a that's a trick.
Speaker 4: It's not close.
Speaker 5: I want to talk to you a little bit about little miss Bliss because we had a similar situation on Boy Meets World, and this type of heartbreak is common for a lot of us. You were cast in the pilot and listen to this trio of stars guys, Yes, Brian Austin Green, Juliel White and Jonathan Brandis.
Speaker 4: And Hale Mike God and you are the star of this thing.
Speaker 7: Well no so I so, Hailey Mills was the star of it. So the initial show, good Morning Miss Bliss, it was called she was a teacher within this school, so it was about her. We just happened to be kids in the class. But yeah, so we did. We did the pilot for that show, and then they decided, hey, we want to we want to pick this up and shoot it in Florida. And I was like, nope, I live in the valley. Good, I live in the valley. I love my life. I really liked skateboarding, and I really love still having my feet when I go past bodies of water. So you know, so I stayed and the show went out there and then it kind of reformulated itself and came back as say, by the bell.
Speaker 4: Wow, how big of a deal for you was it then?
Speaker 5: When you booked that role, though, I mean you ultimately decided not to do it because they were going to send you to Florida, But like when you get a job.
Speaker 7: Like that, that's a big deal. It's a it's a big deal. But that was like that was the business that, yeah, like you did. You did commercials. You did as many national commercials as you could because they paid well. And then you booked a pilot and you would go shoot a pilot. And there were only three networks at that time, and so they were each doing like fifteen pilots a year, and you had pilot season. You had no member and like February right top of the year, and so you would try and book a pilot and then probably ninety eight percent of the pilots never got picked up. So you'd book a pilot, you'd shoot it, and you go cool, a nice meeting everybody, and then you would go guest on other shows and you know, do do as much stuff as you could. So we were I remember we were. We were all excited about it because it was fun. It was a bunch of kids, and it was live audience, which I had never really done before that. But yeah, we did. We did the pilot and then it was like that was sort of it. Like I never I didn't understand that pilots get picked up and then they become shows that are on consistently. I have no idea you were just do we know a bunch of pilots. I didn't know. It's It was the same thing when I first started doing commercials and my friend told me that he did commercials. I was like, wait, regular people can do this. Like I thought you had to be some sort of magic, you know, live in some alternate universe on television. I had no idea that kids just got into it. An auditioned, and all of a sudden you were on TV.
Speaker 4: It was crazy, so funny.
Speaker 7: I did a pilot with Joey Lawrence. That's how we ended up becoming friends. We did a pilot for They did a series of from Adventures in babysitting, and so we were both the leads on that pilot.
Speaker 1: Was Keith Coogan involved in that? No, I played Keith Coogan, you played played character.
Speaker 7: I've actually been at like some of these conventions and I was at one and I'd never met Keith before, and he came up and he.
Speaker 1: Was like, hey, dude, you played me in the pilot.
Speaker 7: How did you know that it was a pilot? Nobody picked it up, nobody ever saw it. Coogan knows all. He knows pretty much everything there is to know.
Speaker 5: Well, I do think it's pretty InCred that you, Juliel, and Jonathan all went on to become massive stars in the nineties, and then you also appeared on Saved by the Bell the college years.
Speaker 7: I did. Yeah, so I was. I was dating Tiffany at that point, okay, and yeah, they had moved from the kind of, you know, morning ish sitcom thing to that and it was kind of a prime time sitcom that they were doing. And yeah, I just made a quick I walked in with a turkey. I think it was all right, anybody anybody want turkey? It felt it was a really good line reading. I don't know if you saw it or not. But I won quite a few Razzies for that one.
Speaker 5: There is one more very early, Brian Austin Green Job. I want to ask you about, which is Small Wonder. You did two episodes alongside.
Speaker 8: Vicky the Robot. What do you remember from Wait, do you guys know that show? It's a small under Yes, she.
Speaker 7: Had like a little gluten panel on her back and they opened it up and it was the best way. Yes, but I remember I was so that was probably one of the jobs I was the most excited about when I was young, because I watched the show. All of a sudden I was on. I was like, oh my god, it's Vicky the Robot and it's the whole thing, and it was really cool to be doing. You know, it's every once in a while you have those moments where you're on a set. You guys know you're on a set and you go, I cannot believe I'm on this set right here. Yeah, I'm a huge fan.
Speaker 1: Yes, it was too. Yeah, it was such a good show.
Speaker 7: It was just such a good show.
Speaker 1: Tiffany Brissette is a nurse now in Colorado. You played Vicky. You played all the shows like where is that? Where's the cast of silver spoons. That's what happens in my in my house at three a m.
Speaker 7: Stuff like that. You should put the coffee down.
Speaker 2: Great wonder was important in my childhood. That was up there with all the all those silver spring different strokes.
Speaker 4: And My Two Dads, Oh yeah, of course Two Dads was.
Speaker 1: Was created by Boy creator Michael Jacobs.
Speaker 7: So I was on one episode of My Two Dads and and it's the only time I was ever fired I did. There's not much of a story to it. Honestly, that's the best part that like, that's I should have saved that for the end to have some big like cliffhanger moment, But I'm terrible at telling stories.
Speaker 6: It was probably Michael Jacobs who fired you. So do you remember what that was? It after a run through or.
Speaker 7: Yes, And we had been rehearsing and then we did a run through and I had a scene sitting at a table with uh Stacy Keenan was on that show, and there was somebody else and I was really new to sitcoms, and I just didn't completely understand the timing of it.
Speaker 4: And I went to yourself, you're gonna, We're gonna.
Speaker 7: We're gonna have to uh recast I was, but again I was so young. I was like, okay, so what is do I I still get paid for this day, right, That's you know, That's all I really cared about at that point.
Speaker 4: I if there's one gift I can give you, I would just like for you to know it wasn't you.
Speaker 7: No, it was. It felt like me when when the firing came down.
Speaker 4: So I'm not saying it didn't feel like you. Yeah, you were made to you were definitely told it was you.
Speaker 6: But I I do just want you to know Michael Jacobs fired probably ten kids within the first five episodes of Boy Meets.
Speaker 5: World, so that's a and threatened to fire me after my first day, and I was already replacing someone who had been fired.
Speaker 6: And you have to eat like and and he would it's a line reading like he would give line readings and if you didn't say it, he wanted it said.
Speaker 7: I remember that the very specific And he came out and he was we were sitting in a restaurant doing a scene, sitting at a table, and he kept giving me these line readings of exactly what he wanted. I was like, I couldn't do it. Exactly the way he was and that was it. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so, like I said, just it's a lift from us.
Speaker 7: It's good to know now at fifty two.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, you know, you never know that you said it's the only time you were ever fired, and then when you told.
Speaker 7: A lifetime I can't wait to tell my therapist that.
Speaker 8: Let her know.
Speaker 1: Brian, you did small wonder. You don't have to apologize it.
Speaker 7: It's true, right you did the pilot for Adventures in Babysitting everybody else.
Speaker 5: So in order to join SAG you add Austin to your name. I want to know, have you ever met the other Brian Green?
Speaker 2: No, I have not.
Speaker 7: I wished his demise when I was younger because I didn't know what all that entailed. I realized that is a terrible thing to wish upon anybody. But yeah, it was when when I just so, my mom had a whole name planned for me when she was pregnant and I was I had really broad shoulders as a as a baby, so she had a real hard time in labor. And my dad, who smoked a lot of pot at this point in life. While my mom was in the middle of labor, he came forward, and he was like, can we name him Brian? I'm alm was like, name him whatever the fuck you want, just get us get out of me. And that was literally the only name he came up with. He came up with no middle name, no anything, that was just Brian Green. And then all of a sudden, sag is going out. There's another Brian Green in the union. So you have to come up with a middle name, and Brian Green is not a very easy name to come up with a middle name for where the whole thing flows very well. We almost named me Brian Peter Green, after my mom's dad, but then my initial would have been Peace. It was Brian p. Green. We were like, good start that does that'll that'll make him break a career. So that so we went through a bunch of names and we ended up going through the map and Austin, Yeah, yeah, you could.
Speaker 4: Have gone with like Willie broad Shoulders.
Speaker 2: I couldn't have.
Speaker 7: I don't know how well my co would have done, but.
Speaker 1: That's r get this kid out of me Green. Yeah, Brian name and whatever the you want.
Speaker 7: Skills are incredible, This podcast is done. You should just be writing books of what we're gonna do. Yeah, right, I'm already on the third one. What are you talking about? Does this still happen?
Speaker 3: Are there still actors having to have three names? Because it was such an but I don't hear about it that much anymore, Like, no.
Speaker 7: It's absolutely it's you can't be you can't be in the I don't think you can be in the union with the same name as somebody else. I think you have to have some sort of thing that differentiates so they can keep track of checks when they come in, they can monitor they you know, do all the stuff that they that they as a union do. So strange.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, you joined SAG and then shortly thereafter you start booking a lot of different shows. You book a big recurring role on Knat's Landing and you become a bit of like a child actor VET At this point, did it.
Speaker 4: Feel like something big was coming? Like did you always have.
Speaker 7: That viewing it was in my or scrubs? You know, it was no, So no, because the uh, the business was really small when I was young. There were probably thirty kids total, so we would all see each other at all the auditions and stuff. So it was myself and Seth Green and DiCaprio and Toby maguire and like we had this small group and we all knew each other, so there was no competition between anybody. It was sort of like, oh, you're looking for a little redhead kid. Oh well, then Seth is your guy. Like I don't even know why I'm in here, and I was like, go get him, Seth. Like we were all we were all rooting for each other. But the the business it set there wasn't. Honestly, I don't. I really don't think it was until nine o two one oh that there were shows that were really rooted around young young kids, teenagers, high schoolers, you know, middle schoolers. So at that point kids were getting parts in adult shows. All the shows that we were that I was doing was NOTTS landing adult shows. I would come through with like a every once in a while just to show that, like, you know, the character had a kid, right, That's all I was there for. And then all of a sudden that shifted, and then it became kids were actually the leads of things, and things were really like aggressively shifting, you know, because Boy Meets World, you guys were really like on the cusp the ground. You were groundbreaking as far as what it was you were doing. You know, the business has changed so much, so I had no I had no sense back then of that this was going to be my career. Like I grew up in music, right, so I thought, oh, Okay, I'm making some good money doing this, but I'm going to be a drummer, you know, in a band and that and that's it. There was nobody else in my family that had ever been acting before. I had nobody to sort of learn from or bounce ideas off of, or anybody that I had seen succeed in it. I didn't know anybody in it. I grew up in North Hollywood and it was I went to music academies and these performing art schools and it was like fame. So we were all like playing instruments and doing all this stuff. And I had no idea that the like student films and the commercials that I did as a kid would take over my life and become my career. I never had any idea. How did you think about acting itself?
Speaker 1: Then?
Speaker 3: Did you think of it was like, oh, just a job, had to show up. It was like kind of like my model. Ye think I was like a craft that you had to work on.
Speaker 7: I didn't understand the craft side of it like I had. For me, my passion had always been music, right, my dad's a.
Speaker 1: Drummer, because you said you had nobody in your family that were My dad.
Speaker 7: Is a drummer. He was touring with Glenn Campbell when I was born. He was doing like Rhyanstone, Cowboy and all that, and then he stopped touring when I was about two and a half because he wanted to be home more. So he started doing all studio stuff. He played on like Frank Sinatra's albums and Doobie Brothers and all sorts of really cool stuff. And I went to these amazing performing art schools for music. I had to like audition to get in. I remember in jazz band. I went to Hamilton High for high school to begin, and then I was failing everything because I was working so much, and I ended up graduating from North Hollywood High. But one of the guys that I was in jazz band with, his name is Abel Borel Junior. He plays drums for Paul McCartney. Like it's I grew up with. I grew surrounded by all these people that were really, really good and what it is they were doing. So when I started doing commercials, I hadn't ever met anybody that was doing it successfully where I was like, oh my god, it can lead to this. I had no idea what the end goal of it was, so to me, that was kind of a fun thing. You sort of show up and you eat crackers or YouTube, gut whatever it is that you know, you play volleyball in a tank to like whatever it is they're asking of you, and then you go home. And then I would go home and play music and skateboard and do the stuff that I was really passionate about doing and loved doing at the time. Wow, that's so funny.
Speaker 4: It was similar for me too.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: I also didn't understand it as a craft, nor did I understand it as a business. It was just like you know, and my family didn't really quite understand it either. So I think that you're you're not alone there.
Speaker 7: Yeah. My family was like my mom was my business manager, my dad was my manager, and everybody was like learning as they were, right, and no one.
Speaker 4: Had an experience or education in it.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So along comes the Beverly Hills nine O two one Oho audition and it's an Aaron Spelling show.
Speaker 4: Was that intimidating.
Speaker 7: No, I had no idea who he was, Okay, not a clue. I literally had zero. Everyone was like, oh my god, it's Aaron Spelling. I was like, I don't know who that is. And then they were like, oh, he did love Boat, and like they started naming all the shows and I was like, oh my god, I know those shows, but I didn't know who played what role in pre production or any like. I didn't know that TV producers were as big as they were at that point they were putting these projects. I had no idea. Yeah, I was like, oh boy, lucky him. He jumped on board this love Boat thing. I didn't know. I didn't know that he was creating these things and putting these teams together and making these happen. I remember all of the auditions that I had were in his office, which was really incredible, Like it was massive, and he had this huge, like twenty five foot long couch and this crazy with like pinball machines. But he was this incredibly kind guy. So it was I'd been doing this at this point. I was sixteen when I went into audition. I started acting when I was nine, so like I was. I walked in the room and I was like, I've been in a million of these rooms, Like this doesn't intimidate me at all. It's a really cool office. You seem like a really nice guy, like this is this is cool. And then the fact that the script was about like like high junior high, high school kids. I was like, oh, this is pretty cool, Like I can I can do this. You know. I knew Doug Emerson at the time. We had been acting together, so I read with him when we were in there, and we had chemistry from knowing each other. So it just sort of it all happened really fast, and it didn't. There wasn't really much magic to it at that point. You know, the auditioning process.
Speaker 1: It's not this.
Speaker 7: Magical thing where you're like, oh my god, I booked this pilot. I feel like this is the one, Like you sort of you book a pilot and you go I've read better. Yeah you know, I'll do it.
Speaker 4: Sure, Yeah, yeah, I was f Yi.
Speaker 5: I was famously not allowed to watch nine O two one oh as a kid, so I eventually had.
Speaker 4: To do a lot of catch up.
Speaker 7: So good parenting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, my parents were like absolutely not my parents.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we did. The whole family would get together and watching nine O two and oh.
Speaker 7: So there it's crazy crazy.
Speaker 5: In the first season, you played a bit of an outcast on the show, not yet like really in the friend group, sort of peering in from the outside. Was that also what was going on when the cameras were off or were you guys all close right off the bat?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 7: We were pretty close right off the bat. I mean, I so I had known Shannon for years from when she was doing Little House on the Prairie and Our House, that show with Chad Allen and Wiff Grimley. I had funny enough, I did. So I knew Doug. We had known each other for years from commercials and everything Luke and I had done. We did a Doctor Pepper a commercial literally like four weeks before I booked the pilot and started doing that, and then he came on and we were like, holy, like a drive in theater doing this Doctor Pepper commercial.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 7: So we got along really well, and it was it was fun because we were all young and so it was kind of cool and we were on these locations and it was really fun and we got to kind of be silly and Dopey together. David Silver was really was really fun when the show started, and the character was that way because it was I wasn't necessarily in school like a nerd like that, but I was really small. I had tons of energy, so I was like hyper and obnoxious to people that I was around, and I didn't really have a specific friend group. I sort of bounced around from group to group to group, like I hung out with skaters, I hung out with, you know, kids that were in band class with me. Like I was sort of all over the place. But David Silver was really fun because we it became this like goal of ours to come up with the most ridiculous things that we could. So we would we would find really crazy swaths of material and they would make pants and like all like we had all of these crazy we would put buttons all over things, and it was really fun because it was completely different from the world that I was living in at that point. So then as the show went on and it started as it does, the you know the two start combining, yep, and it then it became harder. It became harder for me. I don't know how it was for you guys. How old were you when you started doing the show twelve you were twelve.
Speaker 1: I was sixteen.
Speaker 2: I was in the middle so I didn't and to hang out with them and too young to hang out with the adults.
Speaker 7: How long did you do the show? For?
Speaker 2: Years?
Speaker 7: So you know, like that is that's that period in your life where you're like really sort of figuring out who you are. You're insecure about all sorts of things. But then you're going through all of that in front of everybody, and it is and as soon as your actual life starts crossing with that, then you start becoming insecure with who you are at home compared to this is writers.
Speaker 4: This is exactly writer's life. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then the writers start borrowing from your life.
Speaker 7: To you know, they have to. You're writing for kids, do better to research than you in your life outside of it. Oh my god, he's really into music, he's really into ooh. Let's start incorporating those things. And then all of a sudden, you're you know, you're bringing your own things from home to work, and as soon as somebody says they don't like it, you're like, oh my god, but I made that at home, Like this is now, how do I separate this, you start feeling like, oh, people just don't like me, and it's and you know, as an adult mind, I can grasp the concept of people watching and how it works and that they don't realize all of these things are coming from my home. But when you're young and you're already feeling scrutinized just because that's part of growing up, then that the life that we lived at a young age, it's a hard thing to do. Yes, it's a real hard thing to do, and I give a lot of credit to people that made it out of it.
Speaker 2: You know. Well, there's also an interesting aspect to it because you're you're also expected not to complain about it in any way, shape or form, because you're lucky that you're getting a chance to even be doing this work. So the idea that it's difficult in any way, shape or form, it's like other people your age, especially like, how dare you think that something bad could come from this? And it's like, well, I'm still growing up and living my life.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's all relative. Like I you know, I would hear that all the time, and I of course didn't understand that completely because I was living in it. So for people that had that view. I'm in a completely different place than than you are, So you can speak from your side of it. I'm speaking from my side of it, and they're two completely different things and both can exist at the same time. Like people, people get caught up in this concept of emotion is mutually exclusive, like you either if you are jealous of somebody, then you're just jealous. It's like, well, no, I can love somebody and be happy for them and then be jealous of them at the same time. Right, that's okay, that's all right to have both of those things going. But people don't completely get that, and they feel guilty when they feel like, oh my god, this is my best friend, but I'm jealous because they're getting this opportunity and I so wish that I had it. So then they start stuffing that and it creates it creates all of these all these problems. Believe me, it was my therapist that point that point of this stuff out. Yeah this isn't like, oh my god, I'm a genius, and so I came up with this myself, like my fa you know.
Speaker 4: So yeah, yeah, we were We've all been in therapy.
Speaker 7: It's just a part of it. We'll kind to it. We're all we're all child actors. Yeah, exactly, if we're surviving now we've gone through therapy.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, that's accurate.
Speaker 5: I think your big moment on the show as it's building its audience in season two, ends up becoming part of the nine O two one zero folklore Forever, and it's the episode that is called the Next forty Years and your best friend Scott accidentally shoots himself at his sixteenth birthday party.
Speaker 4: It was a very intense episode.
Speaker 2: Growing up watching nine to two and zero with my family, I remember the announcement that a character was going to die.
Speaker 1: Really, oh yeah, this was a thing.
Speaker 4: Well yeah, of course.
Speaker 5: It was very intense and nothing like that had ever been done for kids or teens before. Do you remember finding out that that episode was going to happen? Did they talk to you about it ahead of time?
Speaker 8: What was that like?
Speaker 7: Yeah? They that was That was a really tough point. It was absolutely for me, absolutely bittersweet. Like I they started putting David and Donna together and they realized like, oh, this is kind of a fun duo and this thing and so maybe we have David du summer school. So he can then be in the same grade as all these kids. But then they they were like, okay, well then these two kids, these two guys, we can't have both of them, Like it doesn't make any sense. So they came up with this idea of Doug unfortunately having to do that, and I remember getting the script and being shocked, being happy again and two emotions at the same time. Happy it wasn't me, but then really really sad that it was him because the show was really blowing up at that point and we all knew it. So to then have to say to him, like, okay, thanks for being here in the beginning, and you know, we're going to take it from here really really hard. Like we had done all the cast photos and the things, and he was in all the stuff, and then all of a sudden, he's not there. I remember his he and his mom had rewritten that scene where he doesn't get shot, like you know, it was it was like sort of a joke thing, but I think that there was a part of it that was kind.
Speaker 2: Of, oh, yeah, no, thanks for playing drums peep, but we just met someone named Ringo.
Speaker 7: Exactly yeah, exactly perfect. But it was no.
Speaker 1: I mean, my friends were there were conversations.
Speaker 2: People were talking because they set it up as someone's gonna dieferent pictures on the screen, so people were talking about like.
Speaker 7: Who do you They were saying one of one of the characters you love is gonna die or like it was something like that, yes, and god, who.
Speaker 2: Who do you think it's gonna be? And why is it going to happen? And but and so yeah, there was. It was a whole thing basically, did.
Speaker 7: You put your money on anyone going We knew.
Speaker 1: We knew who was gonna I mean, I think most people knew who was gonna go Me it was like no, but you kind of you hate to say it was. The way they built it up was great.
Speaker 2: But there was one character that if you had to lift quote unquote lift them out of the script, there was one that lifted out because you did.
Speaker 7: Right. Nobody likes the megabird, but no, we saw it.
Speaker 2: They they were clearly aging you up. I mean, it was clear that they were aging you up. They were putting you with the Donna character.
Speaker 7: And they were and they started incorporating these things where David and Scott were like not seeing an eye on things, and they were kind of arguing, and Scott came back from summer break with like the cowboy hat on and all this stuff, and like they really really went for like okay, these two are completely different, Like they really leaned into it. I remember because I saw him in the cowboy hat when he came back the stets and I was like, oh my god, that is a big hat. Yeah, like they it was like it wasn't hard enough to read the script to have to read the script with that big stetson on your head. Oh my god, not only are they getting rid of me, but look at this ridiculous wardrobe.
Speaker 1: Look at this the moogue and I.
Speaker 2: Remember the big monologue and then my friend thinks he's a cowboy and shoots himself in the stomach.
Speaker 1: Like I remember, all this was.
Speaker 2: Is this for for a generation of TV watchers? This was an important television moment?
Speaker 7: It really was. It was Yeah, yeah, crazy. Looking back on it now, it's you realize like, oh my god, that's we started a lot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, absolutely, Yeah.
Speaker 2: This was Dudley getting molested in the back of the bike shop. On different strokes, like okay, there's a there's a bunch of different television moments for a kid that stick out in the refrigerator, the refrigerator.
Speaker 1: I mean, this is this is another one of those moments that sticks with you. It really does.
Speaker 7: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 5: Well at this point now nine o two one, omnia is in full effect. When did you first know this was going to be much more than just one of those other pilots or shows you had done?
Speaker 7: We did? We did grad night at Disneyland. Oh yeah, and just to completely date myself and when this was another bad creation, was there so cool there? And we were we were doing an appearance on the Tomorrowland Terrace, that stage that comes up out of the ground, and so we were down in sort of the bowels of Disney and the tunnels, the underground crazy system where Mickey walks around with no costume, head on and stuff like that. It's really if you're young, it's shocking. Yes, I was. Really. It was a lot for me to take years of therapy to get over that.
Speaker 4: You were a teenager.
Speaker 7: But still, you know, Mickey held a special place in my heart, and so I was. I was a bit devastating, just a bit. And so Wilson Phillips were up above and they were performing a song and the crowd was going crazy, as I assumed they would. I was like, oh my god, Wilson Phillips are out there. This is crazy. And so they were done, and then the crowd start screaming again. So I was like, oh my god, they must be doing like an encore, something going, you know, something going on. So as a cast, we had this really stupid idea of like, hey, when the stage comes down and we're supposed to get on, we'll get on, but we'll all hide. So when the stage comes up, there's nobody on the stage. It looks like they've said, you know, this empty stage back up. So we did that and it came up and everybody was a bit kind of quiet, and and then we all popped out and the crowd went bananas. And that was the first time we realized, like, oh my god, all of these kids are watching our show and loving it. And it was a sea of kids.
Speaker 8: Wow.
Speaker 7: Leading up to that, it had been stuff here and there, like you know, a car full of girls with their parents at the gas station, Oh my god, are you on that show?
Speaker 3: And you know and all that.
Speaker 7: But that was the first real like oh my beatle feeling moment. I mean, we came from New Kids on the block were on the cover of every magazine, So all of a sudden be having these moments where it's like, God, I've seen this before, yeah, and now we are in the shoes of these people that are like running to chain link fences and running down lines to jump into a van for the door to close, to get out of the way. It was. It was really surreal for me. Like I remember Ian and I took a trip to Spain at one point to promote the show, and there were fifteen thousand people in the airport in Spain. Oh, they had to shut down the airport. Shut down the airport like that, had no flights. We we ruined people's days, you know. I'm sure all the parents were like, yes, but it was bananas. And they they sent lookalikes out one door to sort of move the crowd so we could get out. We were on the freeway and kids were running across the freeway. We got to the hotel, went to sleep because it was such a long flight. Got up the next morning and I opened the window to my room and there were thousands of people down on the street. And it felt like when you'd see the videos of Michael Jackson or Madonna or whatever, you know out of the country and that on that pandemonium on the street, and all of a sudden I was in that. It was it was like, oh my god, what is happening?
Speaker 2: Well, I remember it made the news when Luke Perry went to a mall and he was there for like thirty seconds and they had to escort him out because they thought people were gonna die, Like literally thought people.
Speaker 7: Were They would do crazy things like sneak us into like laundry, the rolling laundry baskets and stuff and like put clothes up because we were doing these mall appearances. But these stores are in the middle of the mall, right, so you have to go through the mall to get to Sam Hoodie or you know forever, like these store pennies. Like it was I forget what stores they were at that point, but nobody thought about that. They would fill them all with thousands of people and then it's like, oh, yeah, how are we going to get yeah it out for these appearances. They didn't think that through, so they would have to get us through these crowds. And at that point it was all young girls, so it was just streaming and pandemonium, and no, we ever did this.
Speaker 3: We never did what were mall appearances?
Speaker 4: All appearances?
Speaker 1: You just don't I did, took you and.
Speaker 3: You sign on it and people, are you getting paid? Is it like a convention?
Speaker 7: Okay, it was like a convention, but you're paid by the store, and the store would end up getting thousands of people running through it just sign stuff.
Speaker 3: I guess we did.
Speaker 7: We did that one right, But they would they wouldn't pay for autographs. They would just pay us a flat fee to go do these. We did a bunch of car shows, there were things like that, and I remember like it those It was the same thing. They would just pay you a flat fee and then you'd go and you just signed as many autographs as you could over the course of a day or two days, and you'd go home. It wasn't like conventions are now.
Speaker 1: Well, no, I remember distinctly.
Speaker 2: It was nineteen ninety four and my roommate at the time, uh he and I decided to go to Europe. So we're on a train and we're going where We're sitting in a train car and two German girls who are teenagers sit across from and of course what you do in Europe. They start drinking beers and we start talking and I said, so you know what you watch television?
Speaker 1: They both perked up. Of course we do. I said, what's what's your favorite show? And they both went nine O two one oh.
Speaker 2: And they were behind in the seasons coming out because in Germany they were getting him a little late.
Speaker 1: And as a joke, I said, oh, so is Dylan still alive in the seasons that you're doing and the dick burst into tears.
Speaker 7: Of course you crushed the car and I was like, I'm sorry, I'm sorry crush.
Speaker 1: The girls burst into tears. This is this is again Germany in the nineties, and they were freaking out and just.
Speaker 5: Arm just like you wish I on Brian Green will carries this karma with him forever.
Speaker 1: It was unbelievable though how important it was. I mean the girl literally burst into tears, thinking wonderful favorite characters.
Speaker 7: Crazy, it's crazy. Yeah, yeah, what thing to do? It was great? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Do you have any idea One more storyline I want to ask you about. Do you have any idea where exchange and egg to find a rave? Do you have any idea where that may have have come from. Do you remember that storyline.
Speaker 7: I think that was a thing at that time time. I think when raves were going on, they would see they would make them really secretive. So it was like you had to go to this liquor store at this time, and nobody knew the location of any of these things. So I think that's what made the raves at that point really cool, was that if you didn't know and they didn't somebody didn't send you to this liquor store to get this information, then you wouldn't be there and you would be able to find it. Yeah, and these parties were they were massive, these raves, and they went they were like these after hours things. Uh, it was way before the drug The drugs were really involved in all of them, and it was just this kind of fun, cool late night thing for kids to do. So the writers I think stole that idea from actual.
Speaker 4: Culture at the time.
Speaker 2: As the show became more popular and you were growing up as a cast, were you allowed any kind of creative input to what was happening in the show or.
Speaker 7: Tons tons great? Yeah, yeah, they were Wow, that's so great. They were not. They they completely understood the concept of we will be writing these based on real things that you guys are doing. They were I mean we were doing thirty four episodes a season at the height of that show. Wosh, we did over three We did no, just under three hundred episodes in ten It was it was really we worked constantly. We we shot ten out of twelve months a year, which is by the cast of our show if you watch. We didn't really have a chance to go do films because we didn't have enough time. So we did a lot of these movies of the weeks at that point because they shoot them in eighteen days, right, so it was you kind of prepare and because there were again only a few networks, these movie of the weeks were massive at that point. That was like the payday for actors. It was like, oh my god, I'm going to go to Canada and you know, nobody was in Canada, like there were there were like five actors there. Like it really movie of the weeks I think, or what started, uh, the Canadian film industry. I don't know that as a fact, but I'm going to speak about.
Speaker 4: It like say it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, man.
Speaker 5: Another aspect of your character bleeding into real life with who you were as a person involves your rap album One Stop Carnival.
Speaker 4: I have heard many stories out of the ballistics young Hollywood era, and I feel like this is part of it. Can you tell our listeners what ballistics was?
Speaker 7: So wow ballistics. So I was really good friends with David Faustino, who played Bud Bundy on Mary with Children, and we were friends with Nick Adler, who is Lou Adler's son. Lou Adler was the manager of the Mamas and the Papas. He owns the Whiskey, he owns the Rainbow and on the Rocks he no, he owns the rocks. He and on the rocks in the Rainbow room next to it, like he wise, that really built Sunset. So they decided like, hey, we're gonna throw this hip hop club at the Whiskey, which was just unheard of, Like the Whiskey was a rock place, there was there never been hip hop in there before. So they started They were like spray painting tarps to hang up inside and they like it was it was a true legitimate hip hop spot, but it was it was hip hop for young Hollywood people that were in town. But it was really the start of something because you know, hip hop was really growing at that point, and it had grown from just being this art form that breakdancing grew out of to really becoming this true music art form in itself and coming from music myself. I was a big lover of jazz, so it was an easy crossover for me because it was like, oh my god, so much jazz was being sampled and redone in hip hop. That's kind of a lot of it grew out of that. So ballistics kind of went along along with this natural love of hip hop for us anyway, and then it just continued to grow. I was really in the hip hop scene that was in the nineties, that was and it still is. That's my heart. My love is hip hop, is that culture, is all the music that came out of the out of that decade. That was my decade. So I started I was promoting clubs myself, like early nineties, I was promoting one at Bar one that that was really big. Then I started doing a hip hop club at the corner of Santa Monica and Vine up in the tower. We had the entire penthouse floor. It was called green Light, and it was at the point when hip hop was massive and we had literally anybody across the country that was in hip hop. So Jermaine Dupre whenever he was in town, was up there, Puffy was up there, Guru would be up there and he'd be like freestyling for hours. Buster Rhymes came and like performed Wuha. When it first came out, like we had literally anybody that was in town, and it was this really incredible spot where the elevator doors opened up and we had two sides to it, so I did all. I had a DJ playing all just classic jazz on one side and then the other side was all hip hop. So ye on the jazz side, you heard the stuff that was then sampled and was playing there was really cool and it was and to me, I just wanted to build a place where it was all the music that I loved, but I could like get out any door if I ever had to get out, Like it was just safe. It was a safe place for me. I was doing a lot of music at home at the same time, and a friend of mine who was a piano player and a songwriter, his name was Ralph. He he was everything was on cassette at this point, and Babyface was looking for new producers to have within his in his camp. So my buddy Ralph sent his tape over there of a bunch of stuff that he had done, and a couple of the songs that were on this tape were things that I had done just sort of for fun. I had a group. And so Babyface said to him, Oh, I really liked this song, and my buddy Ralph was like, oh, I didn't do that. My friend Brian did that one. Babyface was like, oh, well, this is a don't think this is lost on me too. Like Babyface was saying he was the king of the world at this point, and he was like, oh, I really liked this song, and Ralph was like, oh, I didn't do that one either. My buddy Brian did. Cut to Ralph says to me, hey, Babyface wants to have dinner with you with his wife. Like no way. I was before punk. So I was like, I can't like this. Isn't you know this. There's gotta be some validity to this. So I went, I had dinner and it was sure enough. It was Babyface and his wife sitting across from me at the at the dinner table, and we were talking about music, and he said, you know, I'm starting a new label. He already had the face going at that point. He was like, I can't have two labels, so this new one, my wife is gonna run and that, but I will kind of be underneath it all sort of you know, pulling, pulling the strings and you know, puppeteering the whole thing, and we want you to be on this label. I was like, are you serious, Like i'd know, I had no intention of ever doing an album. I was like, I loved hip hop, I loved making beats. I came from music cut to I'm like signing this deal with Babyface and his wife. And you remember the artist John B. Remember him. He was when I was looking for beats. He was one of the kids who submitted a tape of beats and I remember his demo tape was phenomenal, Like he was this art, he was this like really, he's an incredibly talented R and B singer, songwriter, unbelievable. It was one of the best. Forget that it was a demo tape. It was honestly one of the best albums I had heard in years. They ended up signing him, So I did this album with uh it was I ended up doing it with someone who is now one of my closest friends in the world, Trey from the Far Side, who I was, and The Far Side. I was a huge fan of them at that point, and so we ended up doing this album and the label didn't really know what to do with it because I was the white guy from nine o two one zero, so I think they were expecting more of a There's nothing I Love can do for you baby, like I would be on a beach playing, you know, football, throwing a football to myself and a tank top and like that was my audience. And the album I did was not that at all. It was the music that I loved at the time. It was just as as true to hip hop as I could be. And hip hop was very, very fickle at that point, so the album wasn't received well like it was. Really people were really understandably hard on it. I mean, the the the business came Vanilla Ice was was big before me, so that the culture itself was very weary of anybody white coming in and having anything to say or do. And it wasn't until really eminem and I mean you had some people like ever Last, you had Third Base, you had Beastie Boys, you had these people before that were really true to it, but they weren't commercial, they weren't pombling. They were very all about the culture itself. So the fact that I was on such a commercially successful show, the cards were stacked against me from day one. And I remember going and promoting it and writers of like The Source and you know, all these hip hop magazines and stuff that we white labeled the album when we put it out, so nobody knew it was me, so we would get their honest review of it. But then I would sit down with them to do an interview and they'd be like, oh, you got me, okay, And I was like, no, no, no, I don't. We're not trying to get you at all, Like we're just we just wanted to give it a fair shot, you know. But people were really really hard on it. Now it's like widely respected, and I wish I had that respect in ninety five, but whatever, you know, it's good to have it now. It makes me feel good.
Speaker 5: Can I put you on the spot a little bit and see if you'll do a little nineties TV star rappers ranking between you Scott Cohn, David Faustino.
Speaker 7: Oh my god, wait uh uh, just within my industry or just hip hop itself. No, no, just within the industry.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Korn nemic like.
Speaker 7: You know, oh yeah he was so he uh so, cor and I are really good friends. Kirky is the name that he went by him. He was good, he was We were both good friends with this guy Justin Warfield who he and Adam went and did she once Revenge. They they're they're the two of that group.
Speaker 8: Yea.
Speaker 7: But yeah, there was a there was a small group of us who loved hip hop. I think Korn was the best, uh lyricist. He's He's always been a really good writer. Yeah he's still to this day. Like he writes uh these sort of film things and these TV show ida is and stuff that he has, and he's really really good at it. I think of any of them, I was by far the best beat maker. Not to toot my own horn, but I mean, you see, like I've got a full studio of stuff, studio this is. I would like to brag and be like, oh, this is you know, the state of the art podcast studio that I've built, but it's not. I've made no money in podcasting I've made I've made no money in music, but I still to Yeah, this is my thing. Dave God Dave like really uh broke the He opened a lot of doors for for people within TV to get it into.
Speaker 4: He was like the business mind.
Speaker 1: He really was.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Uh and he's still to this day is like he's he's out djaying and doing a lot of stuff now and he is still people within that be real. He just he has all of these friends within the industry that it's cool.
Speaker 4: It's really will make will make no mention of Scott con No, Scott.
Speaker 7: Was, Scott was doing his thing. I just he's I mean, now he's an actor. Like nobody even knows that he was rapping because nothing I don't think anything commercially ever came out for Scott con Right. He used to come to my club though, it's unbelievable, like the club that I did at Bar One. The people that would come that I'd see outside at the door, Scotty Kahn with like he had he always had gloves on, like it was this whole thing. Uh, black eyed peas like well I am that they were all they were calling to the Hey man, you're doing your club tonight, and they oh, yeah, sure, come on through. And you know, all these all of these people within LA then got into that were really into hip hop, and the club scene opened the doors for a lot of these people.
Speaker 5: So a lot of stars came and went from nine oh two one Oho and you, yeah, you really went the distance.
Speaker 4: You stayed till the end. Did you ever think about leaving?
Speaker 7: No? Because the money got better and better, right, Like why why am I going to jump ship? Now? Like I get to, you know, renegotiate my contract, Like I'm just gonna stick it out here. I'm gonna I always have a sense of I think because I had been acting for so long of oh my god, I'm making good money. Now like let's stick this thing out and make as much as I can and you know, pay off my house and like really set myself up and then go be an artist and whatever after this is done. So at ten years, they still wanted to keep going. And I was really done at ten. Yeah, at ten, I was like, no, I think I'm I think I'm good, Like that's it's a ten year run. Like I've given you guys from seventeen to twenty seven, Like I I'm.
Speaker 4: Good, yeah, really great.
Speaker 5: Well, as you know, I am a big Sharna for fourth judge on Dancing with the Stars supporter.
Speaker 7: Can I just say beforehand, you were really great on the show. You were really fun, Like Sharna and I were rooting for you through it all because it's not it's not an easy thing to do, you know, being there, Like people you assume that, oh, I dance all the time, like, oh, it would just be fun, and it's like, no, it is. Dancing with the Stars is the true technique of dancing. And every time you get into a new dance style, the technique changes, and the frame changes, and the posture changes, and the heel or the totally changes. All of these things happen, and you have this really short week to master this thing and then be judged for it. When you're live and your you're picked apart for like all the little mistakes that you make, so you're rooting for anybody that is doing it, and you were, Danielle. You were so fun to watch and we really we really rooted for you. But your commitment to it and you're like true passion for doing it, and it was was not lost. I don't think on anybody that watched it. So so good for you for being there. As long as you were, and for committing to it and doing it because it's not it's not an easy thing at all.
Speaker 4: Thank you. It was the time of my entire life. I loved it so much.
Speaker 5: But I mean, that was so sweet. I was not asking this question to get any sort of praise myself.
Speaker 7: I praise I did.
Speaker 8: I did.
Speaker 4: I'm just gonna accept it.
Speaker 5: I'm going to say thank you, but I'm asking wholeheartedly as a fan.
Speaker 4: How cool is your Wife's awesome? She's amazing.
Speaker 5: She's an incredible teacher, she's a fantastic dancer, she's got a great personality.
Speaker 7: I just I told you it was an amazing human being.
Speaker 4: Yeah, which is?
Speaker 7: Which is? I think then what really translates to all the other stuff like fourth chair? You know, she she has a passion for constructive criticism, for like really understanding the process of what someone is going through and really trying to in the most positive way possible get explain to people what the judges might be looking for or what she saw or and and she it's funny we would uh because we would always come by on tape nights to kind of see everybody and encourage everyone, and it the feedback that she got from so many people saying, Oh no, we would watch Fourth Chair on Tuesday morning and we would absolutely take to heart the things that you would say because they would improve of what it is we were doing. And she she was always about that. It's like she wants to she wants to help people with what it is she's saying. She doesn't she doesn't ever want to just on someone for the purpose of being on someone, Like she really wants to say things that she hopes our light bulb moments where people go hmm, interesting. Yeah. Never, I never thought about it that way. And she grew up dancing. She's been dancing her entire life and she loves it. And it wasn't until I did the show that I really understood where where the passion and the technique comes from and how much work goes into it.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, My last question for you. We've seen you at conventions. You similarly to us, you are always paired with Tory Spelling. Your characters are forever linked for sure. What has it been like seeing the long lasting effects of nine O two one Ozero and more specifically d VID Silver, Like what kind of an impact that has had on multiple generations incredibly humbling.
Speaker 7: I mean, you guys know you're doing these conventions. Also is it's so incredibly humbling when people come up to the table and you can only give them fifteen twenty seconds because you have to kind of keep it moving. But if you give them your full attention during that twenty seconds, how much of a change it can make in their life and how much it means to them. I always tell people like, it's not that hard to be kind, to be nice to people. It's not that hard, And so it blows my mind when people aren't, when they just want to shuffle people through and sign stuff and don't I don't understand that because that, honestly, to me, in my mind, it takes more work than just being being kind to people. Conventions are great because it's given me a chance to travel around and really see the impact of it and hear these stories from people that are like, oh, I remember when I was in high school and I was going through this, or I was going through this really tough situation, or you know, I watched your relationship and so I got a lot of a lot of really great pointers and things from it, and I use those in my own It's unbelievable because to us, we were just kids making a show. You know. The writers would hand us the script and we'd go do the script, and then you finish it and you move on. You never I never understood the impact of what it was we were doing when we were doing it. So to hear it now, you realize back then it was just a job. Now I'm not getting paid the same way for that job. I'm It's a different role that I've stepped into, and I really enjoy it. I really love it, like I really I as much as it's bad for business when you get to your table and you're like, yeah, there's not many people here, I really enjoy the fact that I can spend time with people and I do and we connect on I know nothing about what it's like to grow up in Kentucky, or what's around you, or what school was like for you, or God, let's let's like chop it up a little bit, let's get some really cool conversations going. Because it makes me a better person. I come back home. It makes me a better father, It makes me a better listener, it makes it makes me more compassionate. It just makes me a kinder human being because I am really listening to people when I'm talking to them, and the stories aren't that different. You know, our childhoods were different, and some of the things we experienced and missed out on were different, but they're all relative. We're all human beings at the end of the day, all of us. We all have these human experiences. So you know, like you said, people look at us and go, how dare you complain that it was hard because look at all you had? But for us, completely different situation. Yeah, my high school experience was in front of thirty million people every single week I'm doing a show, so yeah, it was pretty It was pretty tough for me as well. Money, different situation life, sure, house and the cars and the stuff. But it's all relative, man, YEA, all relative. So we're all human beings. Like I think, the more we can all connect and just listen to each other and connect with each other, the better equipped it makes us to live within this melting pot of a world, which now with the Internet, is more of a melting pot than ever. So we should all continue to learn about each other's cultures and backgrounds and countries and cities and states and all of that, and like really connect on all of the stories because we're not as different as we thought we were when we were younger. It's all right here. It's easy to get I can pick up my phone and I can learn anything about anyone.
Speaker 4: You know exactly.
Speaker 7: I can ask chat GPT before I do an episode of my podcast, literally get everything to ask and everything to know.
Speaker 5: Well, thank you so much for being here with us. It was a pleasure talking with you. Really great to get to know you better and hear more of your stories.
Speaker 7: Look for seeing you guys again on the you know, it's super fun. These conventions are super fun because I get to run into people that either I haven't seen in years yep, or meet people that I knew because we were all in the same industry and I didn't know personally.
Speaker 1: So it's really I really always say it's our high school reunion.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it totally is. Yeah, it's these ridiculous weekends away where it's like, God, I don't have to you know, because I have four young kids at home. It's like I don't. All of that kind of goes away and we get to have fun dinners and share these fun stories exactly and talk about how ridiculous our lives were and the fact that we're all that we're all here together and we're like, thank God, happy and healthy and doing this and connecting with people.
Speaker 4: Well, I'll see you with them all.
Speaker 7: Yeah, social start social for sure.
Speaker 4: Thanks for being here.
Speaker 7: Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 4: Gus talk soon.
Speaker 7: Bye bye.
Speaker 3: What a good guy man.
Speaker 5: Thank you all for listening to this episode of Pod Meets World. As always, you can follow us on Instagram pod Meets World Show. You can send us your emails pod Meets World Show at gmail dot com and we've got merch.
Speaker 7: Nana at merch march it.
Speaker 1: Sorry that's min nine two.
Speaker 4: Yes, I don't know. Podmeetsworldshow dot com will send us out.
Speaker 1: We love you all, pod dismissed.
Speaker 2: Podmeets World is nheart podcast producer and hosted by Danielle Fischel, Wilfredell and Ryder Strong Executive producers Jensen Carp and Amy Sugarman, Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor, Tara Sudbaksh producer, Maddy.
Speaker 1: Moore, engineer and Boy Meets World super fan Easton Allen.
Speaker 2: Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of typhoon and you can follow us on Instagram at podmeets World Show or email us at Podmeets World Show at gmail dot com.