Speaker 1: Oh yes, Wow, you did it up.
Speaker 2: Wow, Oh wow.
Speaker 1: I don't even know what to say. I don't I'm so I almost wore the same thing. It would have been so awkward.
Speaker 2: Sweart of god. I don't think I'm going to ever do a recording with all this bow on my headphones.
Speaker 1: You look out, She's cute, geez. I thought you were just going to start with your leg up in the air, just putting on your own stockings to get everything just nicely right. What did you just ask me to do? Leg?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 1: Okay? First of all, that looks like you're holding somebody else's leg because it's so close to your body that it's freakish, and it looks like you were like there's somebody else they're just holding on your leg.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. If you're not practicing to be on the Olympic gymnast team, I don't know what you're doing. Because it's true, you have to talk about the Olympics for like five seconds, don't you, Cary.
Speaker 1: Let's I do because as I watch it all, of course, of course, and as I watch I point out the moves that I could do, so like when they're on the balance beam and they're just standing there, I'm like, I could do that. Or when they then drop down and they do like the just the between the legs like this, but they don't actually move, I'm like, I would hurt, but I could do that. Yeah, it would hurt when they're actually moving in any way, shape or form. I couldn't do that. Did you. You did gymnastics as a kid, didn't you.
Speaker 2: No, not like this. I did floor work, so I can do aerials. The things that they do on that tumbling floor. I can't do most of it.
Speaker 1: But I can do a few, which, by the way, I want all all of my homes floors to change. I want to change it to all those tumbling floors so you could just jump down the hallway.
Speaker 2: I can do pretty much stuff that goes into it. Like I can do a round up that handspring. I still can. By the way, I tested it out after two babies. I can still do it.
Speaker 1: That's the thing where eventually you're gonna hurt yourself, but all right, go ahead, you know what.
Speaker 2: But I had to prove it. There's things that you have to make sure you prove that you can.
Speaker 1: Still get it.
Speaker 2: I cannot or even fathom. I used to when I got scared with gymnastics.
Speaker 1: I was doing a double full a twist when you.
Speaker 2: Go backwards, Yes, it's twist, and you go rotate twice and I landed on the floor like here was the floor.
Speaker 1: And then one and a half.
Speaker 2: I don't even know what I did, but at that point my coach shocked to my parents. I was so scared and I started when I came back, like you know, took the day off, came back, went for it, and my coach basically told my parents like, she's gonna hurt she has this, and that's just when it stops. These gymnastic women, yeah, fearless.
Speaker 1: Well until they get scared and then they That was what what Simone Biles did the last Olympics was She's like, look, I have the twisties, I'm in my head and I'm just gonna hurt myself. And she's like, I'm not going to hurt myself.
Speaker 2: For the first time you saw an athlete be true about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like I'm gonna go I know myself well enough to know that I'm going to do serious damage if I go in with this mental headspace right now, So I'm not gonna do it.
Speaker 2: It's so easy for anyone to say suck it up, go. No, she Actually it was for me. I remember that in that of course, my mind went as an athlete, as you train, it is suck it up, go. But her stand, to me took more strength than anything to say you know what, no, Well.
Speaker 1: You're also in a sport where you can do serious, serious, serious damage.
Speaker 2: You really hurt?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yea yeah. Have you seen any of the videos where they show like what the Olympics were like in the nineteen fifties, Like this is what a vault was, and it's somebody running and jumping and putting their hands with the vault and then landing and they're like get it. Like now compared to what they're doing, it's like, oh, she's doing a quadruple Tristan pit while on fire, and you're like, oh okay.
Speaker 2: Yes, oh my gosh, it's it's unreal And how hard that would be to be a parent.
Speaker 1: Oh I couldn't do You see the guy with the with the heart monitor on No, Hesley's dad had a heart monitor and it was it was It was one of those things where I had I'd pressed nine to one into my phone and had my finger over the other one in case he hit the two hundred mark because it was unhealthy. How high this man's heart rate was? It really really was.
Speaker 2: Well, anyway, sorry, we had to talk about the Olympics, Like I, this is my only I get it for the you are actually interrupting my jobs that I'm supposed to.
Speaker 1: Watching the other I completely understand. Well, then let's get through today because we're all so we were doing a movie today where it shows the other side of sports and also how you know maybe driving a car isn't the healthiest thing in the world. Well we'll get into that, but anyway, welcome back to Magical Rewind, the show that makes you want to grab your friends, your pjs, and your popcorn and go back to a time when all the houses were smart, the waves, Tsunamis and the high School's musical.
Speaker 3: I'm wilfrid Dell and I'm Sabrain and Brien Well jeepers, Everyone break out the poodle skirt because today we're taking on nineteen ninety six is somewhat controversial Disney Channel premiere film SUSIEQ, And it's more than just Megan Martin from Camp Rock's favorite Disney Channel movie.
Speaker 1: It's a fantasy slash comedy. I would say that originally this is okay, so the kind of the making of this movie is bonkers. It originally aired in Germany on the Disney affiliate super RTL, and that's because once again we've entered a third party production, so all the rules for Disney Channel are thrown out, and wow are they thrown out. The legend. Darry Saban Entertainment, best known as the mines behind Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, which that will come into play, later produced the movie under their Libra Pictures banner, and this was their only Disney commission project ever won and done, and I think we could probably guess why. After showing in Germany, it debuted on the Disney Channel on October third, nineteen ninety six, one year before the idea of the actual official d coom was even invented. Disney never actually owned the rights to Susiq until they purchased Box in two thousand and one, and that conglomerate included Saban Entertainment. But even though it's part of the library now, it is not on Disney Plus. And I think we definitely know, like I said, why that is. You can go watch it now free on YouTube, however, and then you can come back to hear us talk about it, or to the opposite of what I just said. Not a big deal.
Speaker 2: No judgment here, no judgment.
Speaker 1: Sabrina judges you as I judge the thing in her hair anyway he judges me, not everything I don't. Actually, you're awesome. Now. One of the reasons that susie Q continues to be talked about despite the fact that it's not officially streaming anywhere, is this might just be the least Disney Disney original movie ever made. It's dark, it's sad, it's mature. It breaks a ton of the channel rules.
Speaker 2: Mature is a great word you're you're using, because that is not the word I.
Speaker 1: Would in just the first ten minutes. It is so not Disney Channel or Disney esque even.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: Much like Song of the South, this is another Disney property that is sort of kind of whispered about in the dark corners, especially as apparently the original cut even included profanity. What would Mickey think? Oh, No, I can't say that. Oh. It was filmed in Canada, of course, with what is reported to be a two million dollar Canadian Canadian dollar budget, and I think the exchange rate back there and that's like six moose. I'm kidding to all my Canadian friends. Sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, No, it's again everything shot in Canada, but this was really shot and funded in Canada. So again, a two million Canadian dollar budget, and it doesn't look like they spent a whole lot of money on the movie. That's not to say they didn't do the best with what they had, but this is definitely on the lower budget side for the Disney Channel and it did almost give off old school late eighties early nineties after school special vibes. Lookwise, yes, so you could tell this certainly did not have the same budget essay the Descendants. Did you other than the when we heard about Susieq from Megan, did you know anything about this movie?
Speaker 2: I did not remember, but I'm telling you it took me two seconds into it and I was like, I remember this movie.
Speaker 1: Oh so you so you saw it? This is what I've seen this before.
Speaker 2: Really, but again, no recollection of even what I mean SUSIEQ gives you nothing.
Speaker 1: It's like thirteenth Year, Yeah, nothing.
Speaker 2: So I was remembering moments of it, not the whole thing. But just as we went along, I went oh, okay, yeah, yeah, yeah, you know. Oh that guy, that guy, you know, all that kind of stuff, So all right. It was It was actually really fun for me because it.
Speaker 1: Was remember that's always fun when you forgot you saw something and then you see it and you're like, wait, I've seen this exactly. Yeah, that's all.
Speaker 2: I had that whole thing, ups and downs and going oh what don't like that?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: I like that moment.
Speaker 1: Okay, Oh, I'm going to give you three guesses onto whether or not you think I knew anything about this movie.
Speaker 2: I'm pretty sure I'm gonna guess right in the fact that you watched this on replay.
Speaker 1: This was my fifty seventh showing yes.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: I like to treat it like the Rocky Horror Picture Show. I dressed up like the characters. I throw stuff at the screen. It's great.
Speaker 2: Wait, what do you like to dress up like that?
Speaker 1: What? I knew nothing? I knew nothing about it. And Amy Amy Joe who will get into starred you know, was Susie Q was actually on podmets. I don't think we've talked about it though. I don't think we talked about Susie Q, I can't remember before we give up basketball forever. Let's get into the synopsis. A high school student grieving the recent death of his father befriends the ghost of a young girl nicknamed SUSIEQ that is haunting his family's new home in hopes of coming to terms with the car crash that took her life. Not exactly high school musical. Early thoughts, Sabrina, what did you think?
Speaker 2: Oh man, do you know the hardest part? And it's going to keep coming out because there's just no way I'm gonna get around this. I was looking at this as a mom the first thing in the car. Sure, I actually loved the couple. I thought Susie was the cutest jutis her boyfriend was the sweetest, looked like he was a respectable guy. Then comes in another group of teenagers who likes dad androls like, what that is my worst nightmare? Worst Nightmar's mom now? And then you know when I started going, uh oh, there was like it wasn't one hundred percent clear, but was there a beer can or body they were drinking? Came out?
Speaker 3: They get into all this because just crazy, I mean.
Speaker 2: I just was. But again, we didn't preface this. I don't feel like this was preface because it's on YouTube. Was not d coom, so I'm not putting it in next to Camp.
Speaker 1: But it's still a Disney Channel premiere film, so this is still this was a d com before the d com, right.
Speaker 2: But I feel like I was more in, like, Okay, I'm gonna set myself into the magical world because I remember with your movie date with President's daughter, them being in a biker bar, them having beer bottles.
Speaker 1: It's a little different.
Speaker 2: That was different, so I kind of had to make sure I was adjusted into what what I was looking for.
Speaker 1: Yes, but man, they they start right off the back.
Speaker 2: I cried, did you Yes?
Speaker 1: I did? Did you really?
Speaker 2: Oh? I liked them and them just it just it's so slow.
Speaker 1: I knew nothing about this movie at all. I had no idea what was what to expect. I love Amy Joe Johnson. She I thought she was great in Power Rangers and everything else. So I also know Justin Whalen back in the day, he and I hung out a bit, we had mutual friends. Very good guy, so the cast. I liked the story. Again, the story has some pretty gaping ridiculous holes, but it is. It was like for me, it was like a photo negative of a d coom where they it wasn't It wasn't a fully formed d coom yet, but they were on the track of making a Disney Channel original movie.
Speaker 2: At this point. They're manipulating of what they want a dcom too.
Speaker 1: Yes, it was a skeleton of what is to come, but you have.
Speaker 2: To do trial with that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it did. It reminded me a little bit of so when we were when I was in high school in the middle school, they would show these movies to us, like Blood and the Asphalt and these movies about drunk driving or these kind of oh yes, okay, these you know are not getting pregnant, like meat Billy he didn't stop to get a condom like those kind of movies. And so and now Billy's got a child and he can't go out and play soccer with his friend. There's part of me like it felt a little like that. Yeah, it was kind of between that and what a dcom becomes. And that's why I say it's the ameba of a d com, if that makes sense. So I felt what it was, didn't hate it, just it wasn't.
Speaker 2: That definitely easily see the growing pains.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, that's what I mean.
Speaker 2: What the formulation of what is true Dcom's getting this is.
Speaker 1: A pencil sketch compared to the full animation.
Speaker 2: We do start from the beginning. I mean it does right from the beginning. It slaps you in the face.
Speaker 1: It it does. It slaps in the face with some naked So the movie stars a nineties icon and someone who is a very close connection to Sabon Entertainment. That's Amy Joe Johnson, who were just talking about. Who is the titular Susie Q, best known as Kimberly Hart aka the Pink Ranger on Sabon's original Mighty morphin Power Rangers and then later as Julie on fifty episodes of Felicity. Justin Whaling who I was just talking about, plays Zach Sands. He appeared on shows like Charles in Charge, The Wonder Years, and Blossom, but it is best known as young Andy Barclay to Chucky in Child's Play three and as Jimmy Olsen on the Lewis and Clark TV show. He also in a Daytime Emmy for a School Break special Other Mothers Jensen for some reason also thinks he looks and sounds a lot like me. I don't know if anybody else agrees with that, but either way, he was a good guy. I knew him, very good guy. He retired from acting in two thousand and nine and is now a social studies teacher in Flintridge, California, which is pretty cool. I always love such and the legendary Shelley Long played Zach's mom. Penny. Shelley is a six time Emmy nominee, one time winner, and that was for the role, of course, of Diane Chambers, one of the greatest sitcom characters ever, on one of the greatest sitcoms ever, where Everybody Knows Your Name on Cheers. She was also in the Tom Hanks comedy The Money Pit, great movie, one of my wife's favorites, A Troop Beverly Hills, and Play Yeah See, There You Go, and played Carol Brady in the satirical movie reboot of The Brady Bunch movie in nineteen ninety five. She was so funny. She recently popped up on Modern Family, but she was a big A list star in the eighties and the nineties. One of the things she is known for is walking off of cheers. At its height, she became one of the people where people would say, hey, wow, Shelley Long just walked away, and she, you know, probably regrets it. I think she's actually talked about how she writs it. And one last actor worth mentioning here and it's just a cameo is the police officer who shows up at the end of the movie. Is played by comedian Will Sasso, who was appearing on Mad TV at the time and was really quite a surprise to see in the movie. This movie run. It's a great but it was a funny It was a funny bit. This movie runs. It's happening, Saprina ninety minutes.
Speaker 2: A ninety minutes to seven y six secoms.
Speaker 1: We have done it, ninety minutes. It has happened. We hit the Bullseye people. Nothing will ever be the same. Nothing tastes the same, nothing smells the same. Blues look like greens, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria. The perfect decom duration has been reached. It was directed by John Blizzek, who also had a strong connection to the production company since he was the editor of Power Rangers and directed something called v R Troopers for Saban, which apparently was a show about a trio of teens who gained powers from virtual reality to fight evil. Shockingly, it only lasted one season. Susi Q was written by Douglas Sloan, who also did some Power Rangers work, but most importantly is the man behind Johnny Tsunami and Motocrossed, so he was obviously no stranger to Disney. Shuki Levy also gets a writing credit, as well as a producer and composer and probably caterer and every other thing. Shuki did everything. He is considered one of the fathers of Saban entertainment and was also the composers for basically every eighties cartoon that existed, from He Man to Inspect Your Gadget to Mask the Greatest cartoon of all time. Literally did them all. It was incredible. It's kind of funny that Shuki is such a big time composer for kids entertainment because the movie uses music that he made here that is really really weird and startling at sometimes it's really loud. Yeah, and he kind of made sound alikes for Douop music. Do you remember the music that I'm talking about? It's yes, it's fifties music without you think you had to pay for fifties music.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was so close that I was going, oh yeah, oh no, yeah, no, no, no, no, no, yeah, that's not it. It was that close, It really was.
Speaker 1: It's like they couldn't afford duops, so they made duo.
Speaker 2: Yeah I wish no but.
Speaker 1: Inspector Gatt Mass Crusaders Fighting over Time, Fighting crime, Fighting crime. Oh my god. I listened to it three times this morning because it's one of the greatest ever hate we have never heard it before Mass in nineteen eighty four. I think Masking Out it was the toy to have. I still have them all. It was the coolest cartoon ever. If ever there needs a reboot, I won it. So in the movie, we open in Willow Valley, Washington in the year nineteen fifty five. This is a strange opening because we see a girl getting ready for a big night, similar to our Demi Levado intro in Camp Rock, But right off the bat, this is not gonna be camp Rock because we see her naked back trying to put on a dress like a bra behind and it's just not fitting a lot more skin than we are used to. Right off the bat she's putting on, like the leg comes up, like you just did that weird leg thing. The leg comes up and she's putting on nylons. I mean, this is not just putting on a little bit of lipstick. We're watching her get dressed. Yes, in the first seconds of the movie.
Speaker 2: Without seeing the ooh ooh parts, we saw pretty much all of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we didn't see ooh uh or we didn't see any of that, but we were led to believe that it's all right there.
Speaker 2: It's all right there.
Speaker 1: She gets her lipstick just right as a fancy fifty Chevy pulls up and it is her date, also dressed up like a nice greaser who's about to get married. Just before she makes her way downstairs, she stumbles on her high heels and decides to wear sneakers instead, showing you that even on a fancy night, she is a real chill type of girl. Then we meet her old grandfather, who seems to be a little senile. He's found his way out of bed and is looking for some important paperwork in the closet. Remember this, people, it's going to be important, he says. There incredibly important papers for the family, and she has to give them to her mother, but he's also kind of in and out of sanity these days, so she lays him down to meet her date at the door. She promises that she will get her mom to come up and speak to him. It is winter formal at school and her parents are taking pictures of the Q couple. Her date is the star basketball player and her dad is the coach of the basketball team. It is a beautiful all American moment. They walk out and we get a shot of her grandfather weirdly saying to himself in another room, Susie, You're gonna be the Queen of the ball.
Speaker 2: And then does he die in that moment?
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm wondering, does he say You're going to be the bell of the ball and then he died? I mean it almost plays like he just died.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know. We don't know, because the night ends.
Speaker 1: Yes, we don't know. We don't know. Here's where again, we are not starting dcom at all. The couple's on their way, but before they leave, her boyfriend gives Susie a charm bracelet and a kiss. She'll never forget this night, and she is not wrong. On the drive they're dancing, they're having fun. It is a pretty lame driving scene. All the driving scenes in this movie are not good. But they're dancing, they're having fun.
Speaker 2: I think the charm bracelet was lame. This is a sprain of seeds. I'm gonna get right into it really quickly.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It was like, here's this bracelet that has all these things on it, and then you can add things to it.
Speaker 1: I wonder if the word charm is charm bracelet, maybe trademark.
Speaker 2: Bracelet with these things on it. And it was a thing bracelet, things to it. I was like, if Jordan gave me this bracelet, I'd be like, no, thank you.
Speaker 1: Don't want a thing bracelet. You can put other things on it.
Speaker 2: He had no confidence and.
Speaker 1: Was a sixteen year old boy. I'm sure his life after this night would be great.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I fixate on way too many details. I guess sorry.
Speaker 1: Love it. So they're on their way. He gets the charm bracelet, she'll never forget this night. But on the drive, they're dancing, having fun. But that's when we cut to another car are filled with teen ruffians driving hat passed.
Speaker 4: Ouligans, ooligans, and they're drinking, drinking.
Speaker 1: Drinking and driving again. This gave me real blood on the asphalt vibes. It was, you know, the that's when you know, oh wow, look at Sarah. She is sitting there with a beer and she is not wearing your seat belt like that kind of thing. It felt that vibe to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 1: But talk about the least ever Disney Channel thing you've ever seen? Four kids in a car, no seat belts, drinking.
Speaker 2: Paying at the way with our helmet exactly.
Speaker 1: Your skirt had to be below the ankles for I.
Speaker 2: Had to have full length skirts.
Speaker 1: Shot bid you saw any leg This was shock, especially when you can hold it up the way you just did, like it was right next to your body. The skirts. So, as Susie and her date make their way over the town Bridge, a police car passes with a siren on, and this reminds Susie her grandparents need to get that paperwork for her mom. I still don't know entirely why the police car. I'm not even sure that was a police car in nineteen fifty five. That might have been an ambulance. And I think maybe seeing the ambulance is what reminded her of her grandfather jumping right.
Speaker 2: To my Sabarina ses, what the heck was that police car for. Yeah, they clearly didn't pull over, no car full of oligans.
Speaker 1: I think it was an ambulance.
Speaker 2: It was just so Oh. Do you think he was an ambulance for her grandfather?
Speaker 1: I do. I think that was a nineteen fifty five ambulance going to still going to her grandfather, which is what made her remind That's why I think he died in that moment. And then the ambulance going to her grandfather. That's what I thought. That's what I thought. Oh my gosh, they're going to help her grandpa.
Speaker 2: That's what I thought.
Speaker 1: Changes the whole thing. It does, That's what I thought. But this reminds Susie, your grandpa needs to get the paperwork for her mom. Now it's bothering her. Why didn't she do it earlier? So she convinces her date to turn around and go back home. Unfortunately, he's the worst turnarounder in the history of the world.
Speaker 2: He is awesome powers, he's me and my mom car I cannot get out of the vacuum spot. I gotta do two or three. Sorry, I don't.
Speaker 1: I think the first day you and I met at the photo shoot. We walked out of the garage together and I think, I saw you do a sixty two point turn gets myself.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I'm going to hit itsive, a car, a pole, something's gonna be there. You did.
Speaker 1: Of course, you're at one point you're in danger of hitting yourself. That's how bad it was. So the drunk driver is speeding towards them at full speed. They try to get out of the way very slowly, but they can't. Now his car won't start, They can't get out of the way, and so boom, there is a crash, sending Susie's car into the side of the bridge. We see them bloodied and kind of unconscious, which makes sense because if they were conscious, they'd had nine minutes to get out of the car, because it was the slowest car wreck in the history of the world. I know.
Speaker 2: But he reaches for his hand. I mean, I just this is when I started just losing it.
Speaker 1: Oh. I thought she was reaching past them to push him out the door, to break her fall. That's what I thought it was gonna be.
Speaker 2: She was reaching for his hand. They had this moment.
Speaker 1: Maybe she was trying to give the bracelet. I don't want to be found.
Speaker 2: Give you forgiving me a thing.
Speaker 1: So they hold hands as the car drops into the water and submerges completely. And our main characters are dead. They're dead. They're dead. Welcome to Disney Channel. They're dead. What are you thinking at this point? Like all in the movie we just watched, these characters are dead.
Speaker 2: I know I I was devastated. Honestly, I really already just fell in love with this couple. I thought they were so cute. I was waiting for all the magic to happen.
Speaker 1: Well it didn't, and then it would That was it. They never even made it to their dance. We then cut to night ninety five, still in Willow Valley, but now we see a mom and her two kids, a son and daughter, Zach and Terry, lost on a drive. They're looking at this thing. You can look it up now. It's called a map. The mom, played by Shelley Long, has taken a new job out here in the middle of nowhere and moved from Los Angeles. The kids aren't sure about this decision, but they pull up to their new beautiful home and are just going to give it a shot, even if includes a lot of teenage angst Terry. The young daughter, is the first to notice something weird while filling up a bucket of water. The sink starts and stops without anyone touching it. She thinks it's a big deal, but everyone else just chalks it up to an old house. Meanwhile, as if this movie isn't sad enough, we find out that the father is also dead, also in a car accident.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, I don't, I do not mean to nobody.
Speaker 1: Has Anybody who drives in this movie is killed.
Speaker 2: It's just as shocking it is everybody.
Speaker 1: We've got forty seven deaths in the first seven minutes of the movie. Yes, very strange. So Shelley Long is a widow and she stares longingly at the picture of her husband, and which is just a photo of her husband. There's no actual photos of the entire family together, It's just a single shot of her husband. Dies that bother you any think it did? I just thought to myself, why not whatever extra actor that they had hired to play the part, do a four minute photo shoot with the family and have her pull out a picture of her entire family instead of just It might as well have just been a head shot.
Speaker 2: If it were me, this entire background would be my husband, just this one.
Speaker 1: As a husband. That's how it should be. We sture should be just I would do it first. Just these just these sho wallpaper. Seriously, So that didn't bother me, Yeah, bother me, bug me a little bit. Anyway. She's staring longingly at the solo picture of the actor who played her husband. How and this is again reminding myself that this was written by the same guy who did Johnny Tsunami. I mean, geez, can you imagine if Johnny Sunami? The first thirty nine seconds of Johnny Tsunami, Johnny's entire family are wiped out.
Speaker 2: No, but talked about why Johnny doesn't have grandma. Yeah, if we dove in there.
Speaker 1: No, she left. She left the family to surf at the place. That night, a force enters young Terry's room and continues to haunt her, this time knocking over her family picture next to her bed. She again thinks it's a big deal. She's terrified, but her brother Zach could care less and blames the wind. This is kind of almost the opposite of the annoying little sister trope we have, where she's kind of cool and trying to get people to listen to her, and everyone kind of doesn't treat her particularly well, at least at the starts.
Speaker 2: Got zero respected the same guy.
Speaker 1: But I get it, older brother. That's it's it's a real trope anyway.
Speaker 2: And there's a big gap between them.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, totally gap. Yes. Zach also finds his basketball, which throws him into a strange flashback to his old school where he is the star player. He's playing and looking for his dad in the stands. This can't be a good memory. We just know he is so traumatized by whatever that night was. He says he won't be trying out for the team at his new school, even though he's all American material. The internet installer, which by the way, was super progressive for nineteen ninety six, internet was still AOL. I am still AOL. AOLS rid die for me. I don't want to hear anything bad about it. You can find me on AOL easily because I'm the last person on it. But they tell Terry that families have come and gone from this house because rumor is the house is haunted, which is finally validating all of her feelings. We then cut to Zach's new school. Zach is sitting at a dre He walked first of all, he walks up to the new school in and I could be wrong with this. You seemed more into high school than I was. But it seems like if you're going to a new high school, maybe you don't wear the letterman jacket from your.
Speaker 2: Just my number when I have exclamation point after, why are you wearing your old school letterman jacket? I was gonna get into it. I will get into it more if you want to know the amount of irritation I have with it.
Speaker 1: You just you just don't do that right.
Speaker 2: He wears it every time at the school. Here's my thing. I have an issue with kids that have even come in through my song dance program. Cheerleaders, football players, basketball players, whatever they make varsity. Big part is getting the letterman jacket with the letter It's huge.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The ones that decide to walk away from the program for whatever reason, totally okay, totally fine, you want to you know, they have all different reasons. Totally okay. Do not wear your letterman jacket back at school. You're no longer on the team.
Speaker 1: I agree, Yeah, Like that is.
Speaker 2: Such a big thing. For me, it's such a huge accomplishment that you take it away from other people that are still working hard on that basketball court, still working hard in the volleyball, football, whatever it is. It's a little bit of a disrespect. So him walking into a brand new school with a letter jacket.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're flying the colors of another like another club, Like what are you doing?
Speaker 2: Mad? Only that that would be one thing if he was cocky and was like, yeah, I'm about to make.
Speaker 1: Your team right But he's not.
Speaker 2: But no, you're going I have no interest in being a part of this athletic sport jacket brow very hard time.
Speaker 1: I agree, I agree, And it's so stupid.
Speaker 2: And I bet your listeners rolling their eyes. But it is so weird. Why would you do that?
Speaker 1: I thought the same thing. You're at a new school the.
Speaker 2: Old letterman jacket at home, don't. I don't care if you want to do basketball or not. That has got to go.
Speaker 1: Earn your new one. Earn your new one if you want to. If you don't walk away.
Speaker 2: No big deal.
Speaker 1: They then cut to a here's the thing. He walks into school, and then they cut to a drama class where some students are forming their own modern day take on Romeo and Juliet, and a bully who's a basketball player at the school knocks over his books. The teacher we also find out as a basketball coach, who then says, hey, are you going to join the team? And I for a second wondered, was there a time jump that I didn't know about? Has he now been at the school for a while, How.
Speaker 2: Does anyone know that he's this like all star basketball play other than the fact that he's maybe wearing the jacket.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's how we're supposed to know that he was because I thought the same thing. It seemed like there was some sort of a time jump. Did you ever have any coaches that were also teachers? Because I did?
Speaker 2: Yes, Oh yes, My the coach that was my advisor in high school, she still is now advising at the school that I work at. She's the head of the language arts department.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's how I was. My My english teacher was also my football big on count Yeah we had.
Speaker 2: A yeah big on campus.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we had that same thing. But now we find ourselves after the weird time jump that turned out to not be a time jump, and he was the coach I'm not going to try out for the team coach. By the way, I'm new here and my name Zach, which seemed like how it should have gone.
Speaker 2: And I hate basketball and I.
Speaker 1: Can't stand basketball. We now, So after that, we find ourselves at the local TV channel where Shelley Long will be working as a newscaster.
Speaker 2: Confused.
Speaker 1: I was confused too, but they never really got into what she's doing, so it was like, oh, okay, apparently she's a newscaster, which we did.
Speaker 2: It was a while before she actually started getting onto I'm like, why are they at a news station.
Speaker 1: Show a bunch like a round table of people talking, because this is where we meet our villain. Yes, but I didn't know if she was working for the company, and they they really It was a strange way to introduce.
Speaker 2: The first the first of what is this and why it.
Speaker 1: Was they're filming a segment with the local real estate developer who is building a new community that will be displacing many families. Even though he has an answer for everything, he does seem like he's the smarmy villain. And thus we have met on the other side of town, Terry and Zach, which, if you say enough times together sounds like an ice cream brand are fishing, and Terry can't shake the feeling that the town is really weird. Zach, again, ignoring her, pulls up a thing bracelet. I was gonna say charm bracelet.
Speaker 4: Bracelet, but from the river it is again he gets his line snagged and boom, there is a thing bracelet and we know from earlier it is Susie Cues's thing bracelet that her date got her.
Speaker 1: What are the chances? Zach's mom then meets the drama teacher slash basketball coach while at the station.
Speaker 2: Also at the station for that reason, why cutting right from the school.
Speaker 1: He must have finished the class, like and don't forget your Romeo and Juliet things. I gotta go to the station and ran to the station.
Speaker 2: The news clearly got the weather.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the the The pacing and timing of the first act of this film was a little jumpy. Yeah, let's let's put it that way. But she's the one, Chilly Long is the one who kind of says to the teacher, this is why Zach doesn't want it to be on your team. Is because, much like everybody in this film, he was killed in a car accident. His father can't say, so gosh he was. We also find out that he was on the way to Zach's basketball championship game, and the moral of the movie is clearly don't dry. But this is why he doesn't want to play basketball. It's just too painful. He even thinks it's his fault because he was the one who told his dad to rush out to the game. He breaks down explaining this at the dinner table and runs out, leaving a sister to say to their mom, well that went well. I was going to ask if she qualifies as the dcome little sister, the bad one, but I don't think she does. I think they've made her a little cooler and far more important to the story than a lot of the running in, making stupid jokes then leaving little sisters. They actually gave her a character which was yes, nice she was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so she was some some substance. This one happened.
Speaker 1: Then, like has happened to all of us at one point in our lives. Zach, here's a girl playing hopscotch downstairs, and he runs down to meet her. It's SUSI cute. I'm not going to ask if girl because I know, they're trying to make it be like the fifties. I get that, But in high school, were people still hopscotches?
Speaker 2: Like again, I And honestly, I don't want you to get mad at me, but sometimes you think that I'm going to understand what happened back in the eighties as a normal thing.
Speaker 1: You said back in the eighties, like it was the way well down back at the eighties.
Speaker 2: While ago we're talking forty years ago.
Speaker 1: Yesterday, we're talking forty years ago.
Speaker 2: Things that you're like, oh yeah, And I'm going, was that normal?
Speaker 5: Did people ride around on their bikes with shooting?
Speaker 1: We're back to the leftovers and the newspaper cannon.
Speaker 2: So I look back at this going, I guess in the fifties high schoolers were playing.
Speaker 1: Hop No, high schoolers did not hopscotch.
Speaker 2: Row does doesn't even want to play hopscotch. She gets over it in five minutes, so the time it takes me to write out the chalk. Yeah, it's more than what she'll play on it.
Speaker 1: I would say they should have done something else. But yeah, she's hopscotching, But what what would she be doing if she was doing something from the fifties and in high school. No, it's like, I don't know, dancing to a do wop song or.
Speaker 2: Oh you want to hear another one of those doops songs?
Speaker 1: I don't know, checking her makeup in the I don't know what girls in high school do.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm saying. I feel like that's what they could they have done. What could they have done to get his attention?
Speaker 1: At least it was in the eighteen fifties. They didn't have her like pushing a hoof down the street or whatever the hell those people did with this with the stick. Yes, they're doing that kind of stuff, but.
Speaker 2: All right, moving on.
Speaker 1: She runs down and she cannot believe that he can see her and get spooked, eventually running away and saying jeepers a whole bunch. The next day, Zach is once again bullied by the kid from drama class, who we find out is the real estate agent, mean smarmy guy Developers son. He says it's his basketball team. Don't even think about taking his spot. Zach explains that's not a problem, He's not joining. He even goes so far as to stand on the table and yell out to the brand new school no one in his letterman jacket from another school. No matter what you heard about me, I won't be playing basketball. So if we meet, let's talk about something else, which is the equivalent of just spitting on everyone. You just moved into the new school for good luck making friends, weirdo, except.
Speaker 2: For one one does one guy done him is interested in what he's got to offer.
Speaker 1: Zach asks about Susieq, because hey, you know, girls are obviously he's the new kid in school, so girls are apparently interested. So he asks his new friend about Susieq and is overheard by a creepy janitor who clues him in about how amazing a girl Susie was. But there's there's only been once sus Q Susq dad in nineteen fifties.
Speaker 2: And he's huge on my Sabrina seas what is happening.
Speaker 1: With the strange strange janitor guy.
Speaker 2: We're just weird, weird, weird.
Speaker 1: It would have been better how had he found it, had found the shrine tombs, because again, that's.
Speaker 2: Why it was that necessary.
Speaker 1: We had that in our high school. There was there was a couple people that passed away in car accidents or something like that, and you'd always walk by and you knew the faces, if not the names or vice versa.
Speaker 2: But that's not what it was. It wasn't even it wasn't even something like that, like a memorial situation. She just happens to be in the which everyone knows. At most schools they do have areas where they like florify championships and stuff like that. Fine, how I could fix that without the janitor. The weird janitor which creaked me out is if someone throws something towards it, catches their eye and goes, oh wait, wait is that the same person?
Speaker 1: Great idea, that's her. Cue boom, that's her, very very simple, you're right, great way to do it. After not needed, yes, Zach decides to unwind as most kids do, by playing rap music. I'm putting that in quotes in his bedroom because it's truly some of the strangest rap music ever. Suki did this music as the song sounds just like noises. It's really weird. Yeah, but lo and behold Susie appears again. Zach is freaked, mostly because he's only in his boxers. Again not very Disney asked. He's sitting there in his underwear and a guy pops in. Although we did see was it cow Bells where we saw the guy with his shirt off, where you were like, why does that guy get to take his shirt off? And I'm in fourteen layers sweating while trying to do the area. I fought a.
Speaker 2: Little bit more to show by the way, I mean, his physique. This guy, I can't believe he allowed that to happen. I thought, especially when he had a jersey on, he had a T shirt, he did he under the jersey? Yeah, now he's going in just boxers.
Speaker 1: By the way, pants, T shirt, jersey, jacket. That's how I swim in shower. So yeah, that's that's totally different. But yes, I hey, you're the one who said that it was.
Speaker 2: I mean, why That's what I'm saying. Why why was that needed? I think because they didn't think it was needed in cow Bells either.
Speaker 1: By the way, No, but I think I think they wanted to show that he was embarrassed that he was caught half naked and now there's a girl in his room. Then his sister comes in and he's getting caught exactly. His sister comes in to see what all the fuss is about. She doesn't see Susie, making Zach look even crazier. Now he's just naked and crazy and the same. Then his mom comes in, who just.
Speaker 2: Got breake crazy?
Speaker 1: Which is the new instead of naked and afraid? Why can't they get to be afraid on the island. I can't be that scared while wearing pants. Please start with somebody once alone, Susie explains finally that she is dead, but they can talk about it tomorrow. How you don't then say weight you're a ghost? I saw your picture there? How did you die? What the hell is going on? He instead goes, great, see you tomorrow, and he rolls over and goes to sleep, which they do. She then he gets to school the next day, she rushes to him at school. Now she's at school, no other students can see her, but she notices that Zach is checking out another girl's turres and gave her an idea. So right there, she rips apart the pink winter formal dress that she was wearing to modernize her outfit, which basically just leaves her in a corset and a short little skirt. She knows this is going to get his attention, and it does at this point, which which of the Disney scenes has the non Disney scenes has shocked you the most. I'm curious.
Speaker 2: This was one of the one. The boxer situation was but you understood he was nervous, you know, right, you're right, he's in his bedroom. You know, I've yet to get to that. Ledger's totally down with being in his diaper around me, big girl.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, that's well. Of course your mom is.
Speaker 2: Totally down with that.
Speaker 1: Of course.
Speaker 2: But this scene, because it was in public and she's stripping, and of course I know no one can see her rips off her clothes, that was I could going, what how far are we we? She's going to keep going, it's still going. Okay, Disney Channel, Okay, she's in a strapless of course set. Yeah, she looks a little bit like an advertisement for Frederick's of Hollywood. Okay, I don't know what's happening.
Speaker 1: She did a little you know what it almost looked like to me was one of the original like fifties or sixties playboy bunnies. Yes, that's kind of what they were going for. Which again, way, she looked adorable. She was cute, got amy Joe Johnson. I don't even want to get into the crush I had on Amy Joeb. Oh my gosh, she is.
Speaker 2: I can't even imagine.
Speaker 1: I don't. I don't, especially in this day and age, I don't talk about how women look anymore. But she was so cute, so adorable.
Speaker 2: But still she's seeing the envelope beyond.
Speaker 1: And yeah, you would think, especially for whatever Forney, Disney Germany, Disney Germany. I remember, you know, I have lots of family in Germany. In the time I would spend over there, there'd be just ads on TV with naked women, and it was no, oh, wow, that's just for a fate. Yeah, very strong.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: See, Okay, Well we're a Putan country. So they talk about it, and she eventually says, as she's intercourse it, I need your help. Since he can see her, it has to be fate. He needs help to find out why her parents lost their home. Zach just wants to get the science class, but he's called up front to finish a compound in class, and when he doesn't know the answer, Susie sneaks in the answer, but she's wrong, and he creates a science experiment that clears the entire class. We just came from a scene where the janitor said she was the brightest student they'd had in a while, and oh my god, she was amazing. I was like, Oh, this is how they're gonna find this symbiotic relationship. She's gonna start slipping them the answers to stuff and he's going to become this great student.
Speaker 2: And now the only reason why a ghost would be a great thing in your whole situation of living. No, this is not her. Why is she not smart?
Speaker 1: I always like to say I don't believe in ghosts, but I'm afraid of it. And it's true. Yeah she should have been and that would have been perfect to give him all the stuff, but no wrong answer clears the room. Now Zack's had enough. She comes into the boys bathroom brings.
Speaker 2: The question what is she here for? What's the point of this? What is she doing?
Speaker 1: We're not sure what's happening. But Zach is like, Okay, the bathroom is a bridge too far, and he essentially screams at her, leave me alone, stop bothering, but she won't. She catches up to him on his walk home, and for some reason they apologize to each other, which also didn't make a whole lot of sense. But Zack admits that if a beautiful girl was chasing around school last year, he'd be excited, but now there's so much going on in his life he can't give this attention, especially because it's probably just a dream. He says he can't help, and Susie decides to take it one step further. If he's not gonna help, she's going to force his hand by kind of ruining his life. So she sneaks into his mom's car and goes with her to the new station and sabotages her weather report, making everything go wrong and even pushing up her skirt with a wind machine. And so this was a point where walking out of the bathroom, now I get budget wise why they couldn't do this obviously very expensive, I get, but I didn't understand what she could touch, what she couldn't touch, what she could walk through, what she couldn't walk through. Yet, does a ghost need to take a car? You know? Did she need to ride somewhere she's waiting for people to open doors for And again that's a budgetary thing. Disney had a two million dollar Canadian budget, which we've already said is eleven hundred dollars American. You can't have her walking through doors. So I understand that, but I thought some of the ghost rules were a little she could grab this, she couldn't grab that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they were just inconsistent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly. Mat.
Speaker 2: I don't care what you decide on. Just make a decision in yeah, right, whatever.
Speaker 1: It is agreed one percent. So now we also know that the curse words were removed. I'm gonna ask you this, what do you think the curse words were? And where do you think they were? Who do you think said them? Wouldn't have been hurt, right, because she's from fifty five, she wouldn't have said any any swears.
Speaker 2: I part of me hopes the little sister had a couple of them.
Speaker 1: What do you think she said? And I'm gonna need you to say the words.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not doing well. You know there's a boundary.
Speaker 1: I mean, you just say the word Spriena words. What kind of sworares do you think they say? Sabrina? Come on, Saberena, what do you think they say?
Speaker 2: You're gonna just delay this process this long because I'm not going I.
Speaker 1: Think they say that they don't say the F word. I don't think they would have a Disney Channel F word.
Speaker 2: Okay, I can see that. She yeah, yeah, maybe no, not that word for the little sister. She probably did like a funny word like, you know, like instead f ward, like briggin. Maybe I got in trouble for saying that when I was little because I copied my older sister. Oh h friggin'. Maybe maybe I don't know what's the S word? Is it?
Speaker 1: What is the S word? What word? What are you talking about? I don't know what she means.
Speaker 2: I don't I no longer want to play this game. We still have to get to Jensen's games that I don't want to play, so we're gonna move.
Speaker 1: My guess is it was? And I think somebody else. I think Shelley Long might have said it. I don't know, or maybe the coach.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Or it could have.
Speaker 1: Just been it could have just been both Susie Q and her boyfriend going on as they went over the cliff at the beginning, went over the bridge. You just never know. So there we go. That night, Susie shows up again at Zach's house. The ruined weather report was actually a big hit for his mom, but Susie still need his help. He gives in and goes with her to her parents' trailer park because her parents were one of the people that were forcibly moved out. They had to move away to make way for the new real estate development, and are so sad about having to leave the town. They explained they shouldn't have even lost their house in the first place if only they had their grandparents papers. The papers were back to the papers. That's why she needs his help again. She needs to find those papers. So now she knows her purpose for some reason, even though he said he would never end up even watching basketball again, we then cut to him in the stands of the basketball practice, where apparently everyone in the school just practices in their regular clothes, which was the other thing that I noticed. There's no practice gear. It's just like, all right, here are your clothes. The bully says yes. The bully and Zach exchange words, leaving Susie to throw a ball at him. When the bully tries to retaliate, Zach overcomes his fears, catches the ball, and drains a three. With everybody watching bamb that night, he sits down with Susie and has a conversation that I never thought I would hear ever in a Disney Channel movie, and frankly, as funny as I'm thinking it is, I'm glad they had this conversation because I think it's a real conversation, and I kind of think it's a conversation that maybe kids have because I remember having these conversations with my friends. And he says, I mean, it's so so amazing. He says to her, your debt, what is it like to die? What are you thinking about? What did you feel when you died? Because she says, well, why do you want to know? And he says, because my dad's dead and I want to know if he's watching over me. I mean, it's very not Disney Channel but very real, real kid kind of conversation, and a I thought, kind of a cool conversation, like wow, I'm not expecting that, but hey, cool kind of conversation to have.
Speaker 2: But did you not think of me? Oh? This is another on the opposite end, going oh my, this is probably speaking more to the moms out there. You mean, when I'm gone, I'm still gonna be worried.
Speaker 5: And you're talking me busy que I still have to come back and make sure you guys are all good?
Speaker 1: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 2: When do I get to rest?
Speaker 1: Why do I get arrest? This is another reason not to have kids talking.
Speaker 2: May was this part of the reason of your decision, mister Will. It's just now knowing when we're gone, we're still doing.
Speaker 1: We're still parents.
Speaker 2: But that was the whole conversation that fifteen years.
Speaker 1: Is bs heaven And he asked, guess what, why are you stuck here? And so those are all conversations that should have happened the first time when he was in his underwear, But it was probably too weird having that conversation.
Speaker 2: That would have been a weird conversation in his child.
Speaker 1: But she says that she thinks his dad is watching over him, and she is a good person, but she just needs to wrap up a situation with her parents and then she can go to heaven too. So we are back again. Very not Disney, but even my favorite part of the.
Speaker 2: Movie, even heaven being an actual thing in Disney. Yeah, isn't normal. No, right, No, Now you're choosing religions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're picking a side in this movie, which they normally don't do. Back at the trailer park, Zach talks to Susie's parents by pretending he's interested in the school's basketball team, which the dad used to coach. In turn, he gives Zach his old playbook like he's John Wooden or you know, Mike Ceseski or somebody. Zach also reveals to Susie's mom that he bought their house and wants to know why they had to move out. He didn't obviously, his mom bought it. But they're living in their house, and he wants to know why they had to move out. She says, when her husband quit coaching, the bank called and said they owed a twenty five thousand dollars balloon payment, and since Susie's grandpa took care of all the papers, he had died and they couldn't find anything that disputed that, and thus they need to find the papers. I still think that also points to they lost their dad and their daughter in the same night. Right, That's what the ambulance was going back like pretty pretty horrible night.
Speaker 2: Okay, the twenty five thousand dollars is what I got stuck on going. That's basically you're gonna probably roll your eyes at me, but that's like what a million dollars nowadays. Twenty five thousand.
Speaker 1: Dollar nineteen fifty five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that seems so extravagant.
Speaker 1: How I could be wrong, But I think what they were actually alluding to was it was maybe a couple of years later, like in the sixties or seventies, that the balloon payment came up.
Speaker 2: Okay, and they didn't have the payment.
Speaker 1: Because you're right, I think twenty five thousand dollars would have been several hundred thousand dollars nowadays.
Speaker 2: If not, yes, that I mean, I feel like that's just so extravagant. But okay, Yeah, anyway, I got caught up in that. You know, when you look at time, period's going oh wait, oh my gosh, how much would that have been? Well would that be? You know?
Speaker 1: So you know, I thought the same thing. I'm like, was it in fifty five money? That's a lot, because I think thouses in nineteen fifty five were three dollars. It was a packetchewing gum. I don't think it was that little. Yes, they weren't that expensive. No, I think eight to ten thousand dollars would have bought your house in nineteen fifty fives. So yeah, wow, I could be wrong, and I'm going to get emails. But anyway, nearby, we noticed that the jerk of a bully in a very cool red jeep saw all this go down, so he reports it back to his dad, and his dad says they need to keep Zack out of their business. Meanwhile, Zach is finally starting to shoot some hoops in his backyard, again facing that faithful day with his dad, but becoming so enraged he dunks. Justin was shorter than me, but anyway, he dunks and breaks his backboard. As the trailer park is set for demolition, Zach needs to learn more about the loan, and the only way to do that is to hack into the bank's computers. His little sister, Terry is apparently a computer genius, so he spills all the Susie beans to her, and now she is ready to help. If only the family believed her like she believes them, everything would have gotten better. But we now cut to a montage. They are at the bank working out a very convoluted plan to a very bad kind of credence clearwater cover of the song Susieque, and as a team they divert all the employee's attentions to steal entry codes, which is also worth noting a massive felony. They also accidentally hack into an ATM to give an old man countless dollar bills. This actor had to be somebody's grandpa. Just come and stand at the ATM. It was kind of cute to watch. With the codes now in hand, yes, the broken bank codes of nineteen ninety six O one hand, they realized that Susie's grandfather actually owned the land that the bully's dad is trying to demolish. The school, the bank, the trailer park. It's all owned by Susie's parents. But the deed reverse possession back to the bank, which is the main bad guy, in like three days. So they've just found this out. Now they had fifty years, but it's worth now down to three days to get this stuff. They have to do something soon, Okay, they need to find the original papers that her grandfather was concerned about. That the whole movie started about with we need to find these papers. Boom. It turns out that there was a hidden room, like an entire room that seemed to be wasn't a small room.
Speaker 2: I thought it was gonna be like the fool under the floorboard.
Speaker 1: Thank you. They walked this house. He went from this twenty two hundred square feet to forty two hundred square feet.
Speaker 2: And why isn't this a wine cellar.
Speaker 1: Guys, wine cellar? Why don't we both have bigger rooms. This is a it's a theater, it's a man's like.
Speaker 2: It only allowed five articles of clothing. Yeah, and you've got this giant second floor birth.
Speaker 1: Basically, it makes me wonder what Grandpa was doing with the secret.
Speaker 2: It was probably a wine cellar.
Speaker 1: They just maybe we hope that's what it was. They find the hidden room. It's filled with white dresses for some reason. That's why I'm asking what the hell the dad, the grandfather did. But they also find the deed. They borrow their mom's car to rush to the bank, but on the way they're pulled over for speeding by Mad TV's Will Sasso in one of the weirder Disney cameos we have ever seen. He's very funny, but it is so strange. When the cop asks Zach to leave the car, Terry asked him if he has probable cause, and we have to play the clip because here is the policeman's answer.
Speaker 2: I have to take a look at carn do you have probable cause?
Speaker 3: Well, I have a fully loaded three fifty seven magnum that could probably cause a lot of damage.
Speaker 1: I fired at in person. So his first reaction is to tell the two children essentially, I could kill you. Probably call a lot.
Speaker 2: Of damn accent just everything. Why this crazy accent, I.
Speaker 1: Don't know, but will Sasso is so funny, and almost everything he was doing was making me laugh because it was just so outlanding, just like.
Speaker 2: His walk, his everything, everything we.
Speaker 1: Did was just so funny. I hope we get a chance to talk to him someday about this. I really do. He not only impedes the kids, but he takes the deed. Oh no, theed we just found in the small, tiny, nine thousand square foot secret compartment, and we find out that he's not just a cop, but he's working for the bad real estate developer. The cop confiscates the paperwork for him and takes Zach and Terry to jail. He literally locks these two children up, leaving susie Q behind in the desert because remember he can't see her. But why didn't she just jump on the car. She wouldn't die again?
Speaker 2: And does it needs somebody to honestly open a door for her. She could just jump right in.
Speaker 1: Right and she didn't have to walk anyway. The kids were supposed to return their mom's car by four so she could be on the news, but this is ruining everything. The developer gets a call from the cop and instructs him to hold them until midnight to clear the way for his plans. Meanwhile, Susie is walking to the jail, which is miles away. Again, we don't know why she's walking. He gets a right from the basketball coach who stopped by to try and talk Zack into playing on the basketball team. They won't let Zack just mourn his dad's death and not play basketball. They are really pushing to get them anyway. Eventually, Susie does make it to the jail and they can coct a plan explaining that Terry has superpowers, which the cop originally hears as special classes, another joke he'd never expected the Disney channel, But by using Susie's invisibility, Terry pretends to have seizures while Susie move things around his office, even the guns, pointing one right at the CoP's face. Susie takes the keys and frees the siblings adding more and more crimes to their rap sheet. Susie actually then shoots the shotgun misfires it. They steal the cop car and speed to the news station. So we've got bank fraud, wire fraud, breaking into a bank, giving away the bank's money, taking a cop HOSTI I would.
Speaker 2: Not ever being able to actually explain it, because now you're going to say a ghost, a ghost, A ghost, you sir, it's a ghost.
Speaker 1: I apologize it was a ghost. They are then in a high speed car chase in one of the cop cars, speeding to the station. When they get there, their mom is about to sign off, so they have concocted yet another plan where they are just going to jump on the air give their mom this thing saying you have to read this, with no real kind of backing to it whatsoever. They handle all the information about the deed in the bank and to contact the least. She reads it blindly because her boss says it'll put it out. He takes the note and goes read it. He says, can you prove it? And the kid goes one hundred percent, that's all the the verification this guy needs. They read it on the air and everyone is busted because it's been on TV. Apparently that makes it real. Susie's parents saw this, and their life is going to be spared. This is great. Now. Just when Zach thinks that's the end of our story, Susie says, no, there's one more thing left, Zack. It's got to get Zack to the basketball game. He somehow arrives in a jersey. I don't know how he got a jersey for the team or the game, and enters the game with just minutes left. He's never practiced with them, hasn't really practiced. He doesn't know what position he's going. He's like, well, you've pointed that out already once or twice there, Thank you so much, Sabrina.
Speaker 2: Excuse me, Will, That's not what I was saying, but I'm saying conditionally.
Speaker 1: He just he does. He shows up in a jersey, and he runs over to can I go in? And the coach essentially goes, yeah, sure, get in the game. Take out all the guys that have been here all season and actual practicing.
Speaker 2: No one cares about my favorite part.
Speaker 1: He just runs into the game. Points of the guy goes you you're out, and the guy runs out of the game and that's it. So he just added a player mid game who was not on the team or on the roster.
Speaker 2: Steph Curry.
Speaker 1: He does, he turns into Steph Curry. They're down twenty points.
Speaker 2: Michael Jordan just entered the gas.
Speaker 1: Exactly, and ladies and gentlemen Lebron James. So with under only ten minutes left, he not only comes back, he's dunking. It's like everybody else in the basketball court has forgotten how to play basketball. At one point, he goes behind the back and the guy his defenders just standing there, and then all the other the other defenders just move out of his way. Yes, they've all completely forgotten how to play basketball, but who hasn't forgotten was the obvious double who was playing for him, because every time he's doing these amazing moves, they're not showing his face. And that's it. Boom, with two seconds left, they're down. Okay, they're down two points. Two seconds left. Let me set the stage for you. Down two points, Zach wants to shoot a three. He notices Susie's dad's playbook on the bench left there by Susie, and he's going to use one of his dad's amazing plays. So he opens it up and he shows the coach, and the coach says, you think you can pull it off? And Zach says, let's find out. They inbound the ball, Zach gets the ball back and shoots a three pointer. That was the amazing play. The trick play they did was Zach getting the ball and shooting it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, I would like to think if they were a team, they'd be able to like quickly show the other players that it would make sense.
Speaker 1: Doing something that resemble the play of any kind.
Speaker 2: But they're not a team because because Zach.
Speaker 1: Has been on the team for ten minutes, because Zach.
Speaker 2: Has a different letterman jacket, he does so.
Speaker 1: But Zach gets the ball, he pulls up three point line and shoots. What kind of magic play is that? That? That was just the plaget, It's not. He's shy, got the ball and he shot it. Yeah, either way, woo. They win. At the last second, the crowd goes wild. Zach celebrates with his mom and his sister and Susie's parents giving you know, he gives Susie's dad the game ball, and we see Susie leaving the gym. It's a very nice moment. Eventually, Zach catches up with Susie because he says, I couldn't find you anywhere. So again, where do you go? Death bridge? So he's sulky, he sees her there, she's on the bridge. She says it's time for her to leave. She did what she had to do. He says, I understand, you have to move on, and then they kiss, our first Disney Channel kiss in a while, and certainly our first one with a ghost in a minute, so we haven't seen that. She asks, please don't forget her. He tries to give her back the thing bracelet, but she wants him to keep it for good luck, probably because she's like, I don't want to you can, you know what, keep it for good luck?
Speaker 2: A real gift to begin with, I don't want my.
Speaker 1: Thing bracelet the chance of me ever seeing that guy again.
Speaker 2: But that goes against the same thing as we don't know what these rules are. As her ghost now she can.
Speaker 1: Kiss, not not only can she kiss, but is the so the bracelet's a real thing.
Speaker 2: She can hold the bracelet. There's a lot of things.
Speaker 1: Well he found it, he yeah, he found at the bottom of the river where the car crash, so the car must have been down there, and he hooked.
Speaker 2: On yes, yes, yes, yes.
Speaker 1: But she can kiss, I guess apparently, which leads me to believe there's a bunch of other stuff she could have done the entire time, and he's like, what was in my underwear?
Speaker 2: And knowing that this is not a Disney channelman.
Speaker 1: Exactly, I want to know what they were cutting. She did rip off half her clothes anyway, there's a lightning strike. The Chevy reappears to pick her up, driven by her greaser boyfriend, and Zach yells out, I love you right in front of the boyfriend who just drove to pick her up.
Speaker 2: We have hit so many of mine but like what you.
Speaker 1: S Yes, it shouldn't, dude, dude, it is kay, I don't even know that. Yeah, trying to get into heaven here bro forever. Yeah yeah, okay, I get Yeah, this is it. I'm on the longest I'm on the longest first date ever at this point. Please so she you feel like so right when they leave, it should have then been him going I love you Susie Q with her driving away.
Speaker 2: That's not maybe screaming.
Speaker 1: Because then she's like she literally he goes, I love you, SUSIEQ, and she's like, ah bye and gets in the car. She doesn't say it back because she can't because her boyfriend's right there, because that sense exactly. So the car drives off in a cloud of smoke, revealing that her grandfather is also in the back of the car, and they are off to Heaven. It is now the next day at school and the students are congratulating Zach on his big shot. He gets to his locker when he hears a familiar voice. He knows it from somewhere. He walks up. We see the back of a girl and she's talking about her first day and she's made a complete fool of herself. She even says jeepers. And she turns around and it's Amy. Joe Johnson playing Maggie introduced herself as Maggie, and Zach looks at the camera and we freeze right there. End of movie. What the was she reincarnated? Yeah? That's I mean it was. Is it supposed to be the same girl. It's not. It's just supposed to be a twin.
Speaker 5: I feel like that happens a lot in movies, though with the fictional ghostly.
Speaker 1: You're thinking of Brendan fra You're thinking of Brendan Fraser and in What's what's it called? Where he's doing all the different he gets he's playing with devil, and she what's her name plays the devil and then she comes in she essentially plays her own twin. Yes, yes, whatever movie that is.
Speaker 2: I thought the same thing, yes, like what but of its time? That was a I think, kind of a you know trope that we talked.
Speaker 1: Okay, but she's not supposed to be She's not supposed to be reincarnated, Susie. She's just supposed to be a girl, a girl.
Speaker 2: Who looks just like it looks and with a corset, right right?
Speaker 1: Is that what I mean? It's again because the freeze frames and we won't know until susi Q two. This time's personal what's what's going on?
Speaker 2: Which weirdly never got made, so.
Speaker 1: But so we don't know, yeah what it is, but hey, there's your movie. It's time for real reviews, Sabrina, You've got the five star this week. I do, and it's pretty great. I also love the name of the person who wrote the five star reviews.
Speaker 2: Like, you know, I can't say anything because I still have like my email account from college, so.
Speaker 1: Sure it's pretty much because mine is.
Speaker 2: It is not. I did switch it over to real people.
Speaker 1: Oh see, this is That's why. That's why I'm the best. That's why I'll always be the best. AOL you've got male.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you're just loyal, like loyal loyal. This guy's is a five star review from tweety bird First Baby.
Speaker 1: Oh that's right, I had a tweety bird one Saint Baby. But you're absolutely right. Okay, it is First Baby. No, you're one hundred percent correct. I read it wrong.
Speaker 2: One Saint Baby is even better, though I'm not sure which way they're going for either way.
Speaker 1: Oh, you're right.
Speaker 2: It's amazing. This is the best movie I've ever seen. When I first saw it on the Disney Channel, I was like, I would love to see this movie over and over again. I'd love to watch it every day, and I recommend it to anyone. If I could watch two movies every day, it be this one and Beloved. Those are my two favorite movies. I really love them.
Speaker 1: A lot of love, five stars, A lot of love.
Speaker 2: Could not watch this movie over and over again.
Speaker 1: I don't think I could watch this movie over and over again.
Speaker 2: Didn't hate it, but could not watch this on a repeat as I watch Friends every yek.
Speaker 1: That's exactly how I would say. I did not hate it and will.
Speaker 2: Watch the Olympic Gymnastics finals for the next seven to eight months.
Speaker 1: You're gonna see me on balance bead because I can do a lot of it.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: I got the one star review and it is by Red Leader fifty seven six oh seven. Do you know what Red Leaders from, Sabrina?
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm pretty sure it's from Power Ranger.
Speaker 1: Oh oh, my heart, Star Wars.
Speaker 2: I'm going to continue to disappoint you.
Speaker 1: Star Wars Red Leader red five standing five as a Red five standing by Okay, so here's from a Red Leader five seven six oh seven the one star review. It's a great review. It is too bad that the company that purchased Hostess didn't leave Susie Ces alone. They are nothing like the quality of the previous Susie cues and cannot match Hostess cupcakes either. If they aren't going to be as good, why bother at all? How sad for previous Hostess lovers. Unfortunately I ordered some with no expiration date. I took a chance and lost. They were well past the expiration date, which made them not edible. I take some blame for not asking before ordering. So this guy obviously thought they were susie Ces and not the movie Susieq. But it was such a good review that we had to go with it.
Speaker 2: The poor hostess man, that's a bad What is this susie q dessert item? Have you ever seen them? Do you know what they are?
Speaker 1: What? Of course, do you not know what a susieq is?
Speaker 2: I might if you explain it. It's like a don hole.
Speaker 1: No, it's not a donor hole.
Speaker 2: It's like a chuck.
Speaker 1: It's Oh my god, I gotta google it and show you a picture now, because it's susie c.
Speaker 2: Okay, I know what a hostess cupcake is.
Speaker 1: This is a susie cue.
Speaker 2: They're like chocolate losing respect for me as No.
Speaker 1: It's like chocolate square happiness. That's a susie q.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, Yeah, it's got the like white fluffy stuff in it.
Speaker 1: Right. Not to be not to be confused with the devil dog, which is a very East Coast thing. This is it. This is a susi Q. It's cake ear, it's it's it's quite love you.
Speaker 2: I mean, even though you're an East Coast thing, which is better.
Speaker 1: I'm a devil dog man, But again I haven't eaten a devil dog or a Susi Q in years, so they could both be. I'm sure it'd be one of those things I'd eat from childhood and be like, oh God, this is just all sugar, and my teeth would fall. As everybody out there knows now, all of our dear listeners. We love to do different features that have been set up for us, and we've got a new one today to celebrate the maniac music of SUSIEQ and the work of legendary composer Suki Levy. We're going to be given a line from a famous nineteen fifties song, the timeframe when the movie was set, and we have to finish the lyric. If we get three out of five, we win. So here is number one. Why do fools fall in love? Why do birds sing so gay? And lovers await the break of death?
Speaker 2: So why do fools fall in love? Is the last I think they repeat?
Speaker 1: They repeat, why do you fools fall in love? Don't they?
Speaker 2: Yes? Yes, it's why do they fall in love? But close.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, all right, it's not here to judge us today.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna take that win real quick.
Speaker 1: Okay, good Sabrina has taken one. All right, here we go, It's fine. Why do You Fools fall in Love was by FRANKI Lymon and the Teenagers.
Speaker 2: Yes, good, Oh that movie was so good.
Speaker 1: The second one is Your Precious Love, Well before the Light Hold me again with all of your might. I don't know this song at all, do you?
Speaker 2: This is like, is mikaylam on this line? Because when Ryan says this on Kiss, if he actually gets to hear the words.
Speaker 1: I don't think we actually can afford the music to play the stuff.
Speaker 2: Why are we not on the Kiss at m budget?
Speaker 4: Because I probably know the tar Can you at least tell you even hear the melody?
Speaker 1: Producer, Tara? Can you at least tell us who did this song? Can you give us the name of the band that did the song?
Speaker 2: The Five Satins?
Speaker 1: Oh geez, that's not gonna help us. The first three Satins were great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the fourth and the five are kind of a bitch. The rest of the lyrics are in the still of the night in the.
Speaker 1: Yeah before the told me? Of course, this is why we can't hear it, so we don't know. It's instilled the night. Of course. How about this one. Ain't nothing in the world like a big eyed girl to make me act so funny, make me spend my money, make me feel real loose, like a long neck goose like old baby. You got it, I know it.
Speaker 2: No, I don't.
Speaker 1: Oh baby, that's what I like. People, am I right, you're right, thank you?
Speaker 2: Okay, we got to hear these though a little bit.
Speaker 1: This is uh, this is that was by the guy who died in the plane crash with Buddy Holly and with Big Bopper.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's correct, All right, all.
Speaker 1: Right, here we go. Here's the next one. We're going to rock rock rock until broad daylight. We're going to rock rock, rock around the clock tonight. Yeah, when the chimes ring five, six and seven.
Speaker 2: We're going to rock rock rock. Doesn't go back into that next thing, isn't it.
Speaker 1: We're going to rock rock rock on the way to heaven, all the way to heaven.
Speaker 2: Oh like that. We'll be right in seventh heaven. We're going to rock around the clock tonight. Damn it, yeah, damn it.
Speaker 1: And I forget who did rock around the clock.
Speaker 2: Is that Chuck Berry, it's Bill Haley and the comments all right, well, at least Jens is not here to actually keep real score.
Speaker 1: This is These are hard because we're not from the fifties. And finally, our last one, mercifully, our last one. Tooty fruity, Oh rudy, tooty fruity, Oh rudy, tooty fruity, Oh rudy. What do he got something rudy?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's that's right. And that was he wore the capes right. No, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Actually you don't know.
Speaker 2: If he I doesn't know, No one else knows the answers that you make me, so it is.
Speaker 1: I don't know. If you want to, I want you to. I want you to come up with it. It's little Richard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a little Richard somebody.
Speaker 1: Little Richard was like me. He wore capes to the did he did?
Speaker 2: He did? Thank you here.
Speaker 1: And one of the coolest things Big care I ever got to do. I was on the Howard Mandel show back in the day when Howie had a talk show, and I just got to sit next to Little Richard on his piano as Little Richard played me songs and we kept having to record it, so he just kept playing music next to me for like a half hour. Was really one of the cool one of the cooler days of my life. It really was amazing, so cool. Can we do Sabrina ses please?
Speaker 2: The only Sabrina sees that we didn't get well was the grandpa in the beginning, when he was supposed to be in bed and was just fully dressed. I could write you, if he's sick, you would assume he'd be in like a sleep outfit, you know of some.
Speaker 1: So wasn't he in kind of a sleep outfit? In the car at the end going to Heaven? I think he was in like a sleep outfit?
Speaker 2: Then yeah, But in the beginning he had full on suspenders, like he had a whole outfit. Where was he?
Speaker 1: I mean, like, why not have him in the same Why not dressed like you're going to heaven? What? What? I don't get it?
Speaker 2: It was so weird to me, And then I almost went, oh gosh, they did it again. After the the frame gets knocked off the end table and she runs in to get her brother and he's sleeping. Zach had full clothes on too, but I think he kind of fell asleep, you know what I mean. It wasn't he wasn't in bed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they made it like his lights were on, and they did. They made it seem like he fell us.
Speaker 2: But at first I was like, oh my gosh, do people just not wear pajamas in this movie?
Speaker 1: Because don't you remember his awesome physique, as you pointed out several times, was asleep with just the boxers on the night. He decides not to talk to the ghost for some reason because you don't. Hey, I know you're a ghost and I met the first person ever that died. But I'm gonna go to bed now. We'll talk tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll talk about I'm gonna process this on my own for a minute.
Speaker 1: And weird. I would never sleep again if I talked to a ghost, never ever, ever.
Speaker 2: I can't. It was such a hard time sleeping. If I ever have like a bad dream, I can not get.
Speaker 1: Back in the same way.
Speaker 2: So very strange.
Speaker 1: So now, of course, mercifully we are done showing our ignorance when it comes to fifties music. I mean, he's I got Wap out of Blue, Mamma wapamb But you could.
Speaker 2: Have probably finished so many of them if I if.
Speaker 1: You'd heard it, I had I get you, I got you. Okay, Hey, I don't know if this has ever been done, but I'm now patenting a game where you listen to the lyrics of one song with the melody of another song and you have to guess them both. That would be interesting. Okay, let's rate the movie as we always do. One out of ten our options this week, one out of ten Disney death scenes, one out of ten, drunk drivings, one out of ten carthfs, high speed chases, bank frauds, firing a gun in public, dark aiding and a betting, a person eating and a betting a prisoner, wire tapping charges. These are all very dark. I would like to add pink boat. Okay, you know what, let's do pink boas that's nice, like you do this darkness? Yeah? I like it. Did you go you did? You gave us six point five to the last movie though, to camp Rock. Yeah, so then I will start. Okay, this wasn't a great movie. There's a lot wrong story wise with this movie. That being said, this was not an official dcom. This is this was this the bone of a d com. We are we are getting into what a d com is going to be. So when you have to bridge it from a after school special to a dcom, there is a bridge in between, and this, to me would be one of those movies. This a lot of times felt little after school specially, but then had very Disney dcom tropes and months at times. So that being said, I'm gonna give this. I'm gonna give this a five point five pretty pink pos.
Speaker 2: I think we're gonna try to do this like quarter marks too. I think you're gonna say five mint.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say, I'm gonna say five.
Speaker 2: Say that I do.
Speaker 1: You could do halves, you could do halves, you can't do quarters. I get it, I get it. I'm gonna do a five five and a half because and people are gonna be like, you're kidding, you're ranking.
Speaker 2: This higher than right now five and a half.
Speaker 1: I did pretty pink pose, okay. I people are gonna be like, you're really ranking this higher than Camp Rock. I'm giving this more leeway than Camp Rock because it had nothing to come pair itself to yet. That's why I'm giving it a little bit more away. It's Disney is still finding its voice in the Disney Channel Movie World, and this was a swing and an attempt at It wasn't a great one, but it also wasn't an awful one. It was a decent cast. Yes, it's a good story. Idea ghost from the fifties befriends a kid from the nineties to help solve something that had Okay, good total Disney Channel. Also, I think they.
Speaker 2: Took on some of those topics.
Speaker 1: Yes, head on.
Speaker 2: I mean again, I don't remember a ton, but I can't imagine. During that time was very comfortable for people to really talk about stuff, and on a Disney level, like how do you do that? Not to teenagers necessarily it's like right under preteen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, five point five to six pretty much is what I'm gonna say. That's that's where I am. And I think I think it's I think it earned.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think there were Again, I'm gonna agree with you with a lot of the out of the holes, something like the charm bracelet getting pulled up on a fishing line. Those kinds of things were I feel like we could have done again have easily been like quickly fixed to make it not weird. But I did like it. I think it just prove the main actress. She was just so cute to me. Both they were such a cute coupling together. I think I'm gonna go with a solid six.
Speaker 1: Okay around Oh you added rhinestones? Geez, like the boat. There you go. I thought there are real diamonds. I thought you'd never wear a hinestone, but those were real.
Speaker 2: The detail.
Speaker 1: I think, so yeah, I can see that. I could. I could go six to like I said, five minutes six, it's right around that.
Speaker 2: I did love it. I do not agree with the five star review. I will not be watching this on a replay. This is not fresh.
Speaker 1: Strangely enough, though, I absolutely agree with the one star review of the Susi Q Cake We're Hostess.
Speaker 2: Get it Together?
Speaker 1: Oh my Well, thank you so much for joining us. Our next movie up is and I'm gonna say that next movie up is two thousands Up, Up and Away, a superhero family adventure. It is currently available to watch on Disney Plus. So take a look and get ready for our next recap episode, and don't forget to subscribe to our feed and you can follow us at the Magical rewind Pod on the Instagram Machine. Thank you so much for joining us and we'll see you next time. Bye, everybody, Bye,