Speaker 1: From UFOs to psychic powers and government conspiracies. History is riddled with unexplained events. You can turn back now or learn the stuff they don't want you to know. A production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hello, welcome back to the show. My name is Matt, my name is Noah.
Speaker 3: They call me Ben. We're joined as always with our super producer Alexis code named Doc Holliday Jackson. Most importantly, you are here. That makes this the stuff they don't want you to know now. As you know, folks, we do a lot of episodes for this show, and one of the things that keeps us going is that once a week, once an evening, we get to hear from the best part of the show, which is you. So in between being in our podcast minds for the crazy episodes we do, we make space to hear from the luminaries of this show, which are to be fully transparent, not us, they are you. And recently, as we get rolling, recently we recorded a breaking news episode, an actual episode on the attempted assassination of a guy you might know from home Alone two. His name is Donald J. Trump and you know where the lobby was. That's for sure. He did he did, He had his finger on the pulse on that one, and we received something real quick that we wanted to address at the top. We got a letter from our friend we'll call Doctor J. And Doctor J said, hey, team, big fan of the podcast, excited to hear your takes on this meaning the attempted assassination, and said with love, Butler, Pennsylvania is now we're outside of Pittsburgh. I live here in Pittsburgh, I was yelling at the episode. Butler is a good six hours from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania's big state. We are here in Pittsburgh too. To answer your suburb question, I'd say people in Butler will tell you it's a suburb of Pittsburgh, and people in Pittsburgh would tell you it's not a suburb of Pittsburgh, which goes to our Daia have exurbs. Well, yeah, I mean, like I was, you know what it was? It was.
Speaker 4: I think we did the episode like the next day. Everything was still very fresh. And I've never claimed to be particularly great at geography, but I just blurted out that it was a suburb of Philadelphia. Because when I think of Pennsylvania and I think of metro areas, I think of Philly, but of course there's also Pittsburgh, and there's of course other cities in Pennsylvania too, but yeah, six hours away from Philadelphia, this community would be.
Speaker 3: And with this, we have some folks traveling in the area in the near future. We've got some folks in Pennsylvania on the ground, We've got some folks heading to Ohio and wherever we are in this wide world, we are grateful to hear from you. As we dive in. We're going to hear from a monarch asterisk. We have not verified these bona fides we're going to. We're going to have a conversation about life and outer space before we do any of that. Have you ever felt the ads we're looking at you and we've returned with a message from you. Yes, you.
Speaker 4: In this case, the you and question is Charlie, and I think this is something that we've all probably thought about more and more over the past handful of years, and it is not necessarily a gender specific but let's quit beating around the bush.
Speaker 3: Let's jump right in. Charlie has this to say.
Speaker 4: Listening to listener mail and you guys talking about weight loss drugs made me think of one of my recent experiences with problematic targeted advertising. I struggle with mental health issues, depression, body dysmorphia, and I recently went through a serious eating disorder. My therapist recommended journaling, and to make it easier, I have been using my phone for my daily journal entries. The content of my journal entries is raw, unfiltered emotion regarding how I feel about myself, day to day challenges I had with self esteem, weight management ideas, etc. I noticed, on my most challenging days, I'll start getting hit with advertisements on social media that have the unrealistic body standards, like AI generated images of perfect women, underwear, ads with super in shape women, things that make me feel a little worse that I'm not perfect. Within twenty four hours of getting bombarded with these ads, I start getting ads for weight loss products and programs. I started to feel like it was intentionally targeting my insecurities, making me feel worse than trying to sell me the solution. Very strong double O seven villain vibes. I'll create the virus, then sell the only cure evil laughter. So I experimented with not using my phone and journaling with actual pen and paper, and after a few weeks my social media ads went back to random stuff based on other random things it thinks I'm interested in. I'm sure you guys have covered advertising scams, but this one experience with it I've had just really bothered me because I know how bad things have been for me. I know I'm not alone in struggling with these mental health challenges, and it has put me in some dark places and financial hardships to have my biggest issues exploited through some toxic targeted advertising designed to make me hate myself enough to drop thousands on the products that will fix me. Quotes I'm okay. I have a solid support system and huge thanks to my husband for trying to help me feel like a goddess even on my worst days. Not everyone has that support at home, and when targeted advertising exploits your biggest weakness, it can become deadly whoa.
Speaker 3: I mean for me personally, it hits close to home.
Speaker 4: And while I know we've you know, for decades, you know, talked about the unrealistic expectations the media puts out there are specifically for women, and I know that is very much a thing, and it is very much specifically targeted thing towards women. For selling beauty products and hair products and all of this kind of stuff. And I was just doing a little googling and trying to see if there are any recent studies about this stuff, and this article came up, Advertisers target Women's Insecurities from the Minnesota Daily Research suggests ways to capitalize on women's vulnerable moments. And then I was looking through it and it was talking about all of these like two percent of women describe themselves as beautiful, only two percent in a survey conducted by Global Polling for Strategy Want, when in sixty five percent of those same women agree that media and advertising set an unrealistic standard of beauty. And I'm looking through this and I'm like, gosh, this is like speaking to the moment we're in right now. And I realize this was like a twenty year old article that wasn't even talking about Internet targeting. So this is how it was, how bad it was when they were just hitting you where you live on TV, on the radio.
Speaker 3: Now they're reading your damn journal entries.
Speaker 5: I mean, like, I mean, what the like.
Speaker 4: It's just I mean, I was blown away when I looked at the publication date.
Speaker 3: This was from twenty thirty.
Speaker 4: Sorry, not twenty years ago, ten ten years you know, a little more than ten years ago. But just the degree to which these things have become laser focused with the precision of a scalpel is just cutting away at your self esteem, you know. And I'm a dude, and I, you know, struggle with weight loss. And I have noticed, of late because maybe certain things that I've googled and trying to, you know, look up certain regiments or whatever, routines, exercise.
Speaker 3: Eating whatever.
Speaker 4: I'm getting hit with all these Instagram ads for like dude girdles, you know, like things to like hide a beer gut and like whatever, and all of these you know, different name it ozempic Manjora, whatever, now that they're becoming much more widely available through hymns and hers through mail order, now that it's a lot more accessible, and it cuts.
Speaker 2: Into me too.
Speaker 4: And I know I'm not saying that we're the same, Charlie, but I'm just saying that it is a thing that you know, because of how much you put out there about yourself, whether you realize it or not.
Speaker 3: I'm not even I'm not journaling in my phone.
Speaker 4: I write occasional dumb song lyrics and my notepad on my iPhone, but nothing like what you're talking about.
Speaker 3: I still get served with this stuff that really makes.
Speaker 4: Me kind of hate myself sometimes and it sucks, and it's so incredibly manipulative and insidious, and I think definitely don't journal in your phone ever. I would say, relegate that stuff to a pen and paper and path that you can walk away.
Speaker 3: Don't even read it out loud next to your phone.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, guys, I'm anxious about your thought because I know we've talked about is it paranoia to think that if we say something on the phone hears us all of a sudden it knows like I don't know.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, let me let me step back a second, and Noel, thank you for sharing sharing your experience with all of us, one that I imagine, most importantly will be common to many of our fellow conspiracy realists listening to to tonight's listener mail program. Charlie, most importantly, I want to thank you for your time writing in here. First off, social media and the advertising game overall will attempt to gaslight you, and those endeavors are somewhat successful. To the question that Nul raised here, the targeting works, but in in perhaps a couple different ways from what is commonly perceived or believed in the public sphere. The idea is more insidious than your phone's microphone hearing you. The idea is the following. If you are on a Wi Fi network right at a friend's house, it will conceivably possibly change the tenor of the ads you receive because there is access to the activity on that specific IP right, there's activity on that specific Wi Fi note And you will also perhaps notice the algorithms here are incredibly imperfect. But there's not a lot of what I would say supportive advertising. There's not a lot of add a boy, There's not a lot of hey, you're doing a great job. There is a lot of hey, here is a problem with you, and we would like your money. This is, unfortunately, the predatory nature of advertising, far before the advent of Internet connections. Yeah, I mean, that's why I was so blown away.
Speaker 4: That article is from twenty thirteen, and of course there's plenty of Internet connections, but just the ad targeting tech wasn't where it is today. And weirdly, the article didn't really even mention internet targeting. It was more talking about times of day that women are more likely to be thinking about their appearance. That's when things will will air. They will target those blocks of time. And just to think that as recently as ten years ago, the idea of when inter things broadcasting, which now just seems so quaint because it seems so much weren't personalized, individualistically targeted rather than you know, to you and your viewing experience, it's not going to be the same as somebody else's.
Speaker 3: I will note one thing that advertising is very good at is centering other people. Right, You'll you'll very unless there is a pr disaster, you'll very rarely get Nike saying, let's talk about us. Let's talk about like sticker Mule. I don't know if you guys saw this sticker you has put out a very tone deaf thing about in the wake of the assassination attempt on Trump. They want to also maybe sell some stickers and merche based on this. The thing about capitalism is capitalism is the system that has so far most effectively weaponized the ability of turning insecurity against the observer or the participant. Capitalism is the thing that here's a T shirt, or learns about a T shirt that says screw capitalism and then figures out how to better sell that T shirt, right, And the targeting advertising is I mean, I guess there are a few, Charlie. I guess there are a few legislative loose guide rails, but they're written with advertising interest right behind them. You know, like there's not a concerted effort, at least in the United States to protect vulnerable populations from being targeted in this way. And again, I'm really glad you shared this nool because it shows us just how much activity online is being monitored and weaponized against other people. And you know, not to sound conspiratorial or paranoid, perhaps a bit too late for me to say that, uh, you should keep pen and paper on these things. I thought your note about writing in notes on an internet connected phone was fascinating.
Speaker 2: Guys, doesn't it suck that we live in a system when we allow this system to break us each down individually, right, they bring it breaks us down on purpose to sell some stuff. It really does. And you know, I don't want to get too personal about it, but I think about watching ads. Just back when I would watch TV shows that had a bunch of ads in them, or if I was on YouTube and I was getting served a bunch of ads, or if I'm scrolling Instagram and you know, the the loud message is your penis doesn't work.
Speaker 3: Bro.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I know that's crass, but that's literally, Like, it's really interesting.
Speaker 4: It's a good breaking down on it, I mean, and it's something we've talked about. Well, the American Dream was a sales pitch from the start. So the idea of the deficiency, everything's aspirational. You're never good enough until you have this. You can't ever be the best you you can be unless you get this. This and this fascinating.
Speaker 5: But what does that do to us overall?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: I mean it's not good each individual person being completely broken down. I think about our conversations about cults. I think about our conversations, you know, about choosing to have the symbolic thing like a monetary system, and like there is one thing that can help you and it is this, and that one thing is the same thing that we are getting you to use to buy all of our stuff that we're breaking you down for.
Speaker 3: Right, Like, I get a lot of ads for subscription blood plans, which just seems untenable, you.
Speaker 2: Know, from a young from young people in the California area, like, we will give you out.
Speaker 3: I don't know about that, but I know yeah, wait what does that mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know what you mean. Oh the vampire, I see you.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: But the idea of targeting ads as well, like there are loose legislative guide rails for how old someone a human must be to interact online, right, what is it? Like the cutoff is for some social media platforms, it's like one must be thirteen year older or something like that. But I seem to recall that there were there were restrictions that, in theory, would prevent a young human child from say, getting an Instagram account or a TikTok account at the age of nine years old or something like that. Is that correct or was there any sand to that. I certainly feel like it's something that should be considered.
Speaker 4: And for me, that that that rabbit is already out of the hole. Is that the thing the batter's already have the bag? You know, the father of fifteen year old who's very connected internet speaking, but they have learned to self monitor, I think to a degree, And you get to a certain point where I think, I think the kids are more all right than we may think. But I do think there is something to be said about not shoving the iPad right in front of them when they're like five years old, just as like a babysitter, because then it becomes almost more of a parent than you, and then has more influence than you if you're not careful. And I just want to add Matt, I think your point is excellent and perfectly rendered. What I think these advertising tactics do is fill us up with holes inside that we can never truly fill. And that's what causes things like addiction. That's what causes things like dangerous behavior like thrilled seeking kind of behavior, risk taking. It's because we are filled, we are shot full of holes by these types of campaigns, and it's dangerous.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I saw it, guys.
Speaker 5: I saw a clip.
Speaker 2: It was just one of these random instant gram reels, but it was a clip from a documentary on food additives and specifically people whose job it is to create the flavor of a lemon. Right science, yes, yes, And there was a group of these people who were flavor scientists, and they're standing out in what appears to be an orchard or a vineyard, or something like that. I'm vaguely recalling it. And the person's interviewing them and just asking, well, so what are you really looking for when you were going to create a flavor, And one of the experts says, the absolute best thing that you're looking for is a burst of flavor that doesn't have a lasting effect. It's very quickly. It hits very quickly.
Speaker 3: It's like a that.
Speaker 2: But then the secondary another expert chimes in and he says the quiet part out loud. He says, yes, you you don't you want a short tail on it, so that you go back for another one.
Speaker 3: Chasing the dragon.
Speaker 2: And the interviewe said, as, oh, so you you're saying you want it to be addictive. That sounds like you want it to be addictive. And the the man who said, yeah, you don't want the long tail, he says, yeah, yes, actually absolutely addictive is a great word for it. And the first person who spoke who was talking about it in first yeah, yeah. They said, well, we want we want it to be craveable. You want it to be you.
Speaker 3: Knowle everybody please check out. UH wrote a ridiculous history episode on the history of artificial flavors flavoring, which may be worth the time we solve the banana conundrum. And uh, and the fruit stripe thing is very much on purpose. Also, juicy fruit is whiskey based.
Speaker 4: Just really yeah, it's chemical based. For damn sure, it's a weird one, but definitely check it out. But I think you're you're you're spot on, Ben, And all of this advertising stuff is a kind of a function of that. You're identifying a lack and then you're offering a solution, but it's not really a solution. It's a temporary solution you gotta buy more of and it only makes you feel good for a little bit, you know. And then there's a new thing that promise is better results, and it's that chasing the dragon that you're talking about, Ben, And I just want to say last thing and then we'll move on to to break in another least listener mail. I was looking on redded about this topic about you know, manipulative advertising, about you know, capitalizing on insecurities, and I'm on a post about this. Someone chimed in saying, my wife grew up in rural Vermont where they didn't have TV, internet or anything. And I swear that woman has zero sense of self loathing and it's awesome.
Speaker 2: So that's that's incredible, dude.
Speaker 4: It's just the same with that story about the the tribal folks that are now having all these trouble because.
Speaker 3: They got the Internet.
Speaker 4: I mean, I'm just saying, you know, it's a tool, but it's like fire. It can warm you, warm your bones, but it can also burn your house down.
Speaker 3: So let's take a quick break and come back.
Speaker 2: And we've returned and we're jumping to the phone lines to hear from the King John. Now, word to the wise, this is two different voicemails that are smashed together into one. It's fairly long. Stick with it, take notes perhaps as we are going to and then we will return shortly.
Speaker 5: Here's King John.
Speaker 7: Hey, guys, this is King John. I got something that I know they don't want you to know. Do you know the doctors and have a conversation with your doctor about a prescribed healthcare plan that includes a very strict and very detailed diet alongside of a detailed and regimented exercise plan.
Speaker 6: If they write that down on the prescription, Dad, your insurance company was then I'm responsible for that treatment, which in this situation would include Kale Andrews twenty dollars a month your membership. The IRS has made this legal, like this is a completely legal thing. And for like all these years they've been screaming.
Speaker 7: You can do whatever you want, you can do whatever you want, and all that people.
Speaker 6: Have ever done, it's just say building shots the doctor. If you write that plam again, insurance company has to provide that care. Now, all of a sudden, the grocery builders got pay pot. What you need to look up is IRS publication five odes too, and it tells you right out of the gate you can learn about what medical expenses actually are. If you just keep scrolling down, you can see it actually says way possible. Then you clip on that and you start reading just fairly. The first thing that possibly eye is number one, you can include the costs of special food in medical expenses only if one the food doesn't satisfy normal nutrition, omeals the food elevate their treats the illness, or three the need for the food is substantiated by a physician.
Speaker 7: So again, the.
Speaker 6: Stuff they don't want you to know is that your insurance premiums can be paying for healthy food choice. They could be paying for your gym membership. The point is, go in there, say hey, bro, I want to eat tale, I don't want to eat chips. Help me write a detailed dietary plan. Tell me I need to go to the gym three times a week for thirty minutes a day. Tell me I need to spend five of those minutes a day on the treadmill. Right, write it down, and then you can start using hundreds of millions of dollars that are sitting there and accounts.
Speaker 8: For these kind of expenses.
Speaker 6: But either way, I'm done calling you guys. You guys, enjoy it. I love what you do.
Speaker 2: Thank you, tobyde Oh wow, King John, thank you so much for that information. Guys. This is very opening for me personally. I had no idea that this even was a thing until King John said this into our voicemail system. And I've gone down just a minor rabbit hole thus far. But I've definitely looked at that specific publication five h two that IRS dot gov has on its website. It's the twenty twenty three version that exists. You can find right now, and on page fourteen, guys, it says exactly what King John said that you can get basically through a prescription for food and exercise via a doctor. You can get your insurance company to pay for all that stuff, so.
Speaker 3: Long as one has the wherewithal to push against them if they attempt to reject it.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 3: Oh also I want to real quick, King John, thank you you're my new favorite monarch.
Speaker 2: Hey, we generally don't like those round Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean yeah, not to make it about me, but that stance is pretty clear, King John for monarch.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's interesting though, how like obscured it is though, because just this document, like a lot of the stuff that you're talking about is almost hiding in plain sight. Like you know, there is a section here about what medical expenses are includable, and there is a whole section where it says meals at a hospital are covered, but meals not part of impatient treatment are not covered. So you literally have to like get a medical practitioner to do you have to get diagnosed, usually with something to get insurance to cover it in the first place, like even mental health care.
Speaker 3: Well that's what John's saying, King John, excuse me, is saying, you know, essentially a doctor's note which insurance will respond to Is that correct, Matt, you're doing anything?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you're correct.
Speaker 2: It's just ah, this is an IRS document, right, which means, as you were saying, Ben, you gotta have find you know, some insurance company that is cool with the way this is worded. And wouldn't want to battle the words specifically in a court of law because.
Speaker 3: Of representation to keep them honest.
Speaker 2: Probably arbitration is how it would be. But it says you can't include the cost of diet food or beverages in medical expenses because the diet food and beverages substitute what is normally consumed to satisfy nutritional needs. And King John said this part you can include the cost of special food in medical expenses only if and then it lists three things and it doesn't say or. It says and, which is very important. So the food doesn't satisfy normal nutritional needs, the food alleviates or treats an illness, and the need for the food is substantial by a physician. That and is one of those things that I bet you could argue all day in court.
Speaker 3: That AND's doing a lot of work, right.
Speaker 2: Because it's not an and or Nope, it's an addition to exactly. But I man just hearing this from somebody who King John, you speak very confidently about this in a way that you know your stuff. I'd love to if you want to call back in and just give us just how you know this, even that would be great. An email would be great, That would be really really great. But there is something to this because business insiders talking about NPR has been talking about it for a while. They are saying that you can get a prescription for healthy foods for like a basically stuff that comes from a local farmer's market, from your doctor.
Speaker 3: You know what I love about this bet and what I love about this, King John, There's something that calls out to the act of this to me, the idea of food security right, which should which, by the way, low key. It doesn't make it to the news often, but low key food security is national security, which is why the European Union has all those crazy subsidies to make sure you can still grow food in the European Union. So the idea of combating food deserts this way is tremendous and it would be How amazing would it be where they're a positive just to finish this part, how amazing would it be were they're a positive conspiracy to empower people to fight against food deserts.
Speaker 4: I mean, I just remember when I was a lot younger, and it was a young parent, you know, and not established in a career and still kind of finishing college, and it was unexpected. I you know, that we were on government food assistance for a little while.
Speaker 3: And there's nothing wrong with that, No, that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: It was how we did it for a time, and absolutely nothing wrong with it. But what I'm saying is in Georgia, or maybe it was specific to Athens, because Athletes is kind of a bit of a progressive little bubble in some In many ways, you could take your Wick points or whatever it was and get double their value at the Athens Farmers Market, which was a weekly fresh fruits and vegetables and meats, you know, different vendors from around the state. You'd get two for one for your dollar basically. And I think that was a really good program to encourage eating better, eating whole foods and fruits and vegetables and things like that. And I just wonder if there's anything like that, you know, going on anymore.
Speaker 2: Yes, it does appear that there are several programs. There's one that the Business Insider is talking about specifically in they're calling it Low Income Neighborhoods in twelve different states, including California, Texas, Florida, New York, and Minnesota where they had PACE. There were patients in all those states who had higher risk for cardiovascular problems and they were basically provided classes and then a fairly small amount of monthly money to specifically buy produce fruits and vegetables. And this is a study that was done basically to see if the fruits and vegetables actually played a role in those places that have food insecurity, right, where if you are using a program like WICK, or you're not using a program like WICK, what are the food choices?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: And then how how does that change somebody's overall health? It is a little weird. They found that the changes in diet that were provided by this program were only about half as effective as the primary medicines that would be prescribed for somebody who is at risk for cardiovascular disease or something like that. But still that's not too shabby, and it's not exactly related to what we're talking about here, but it is.
Speaker 5: It's something close.
Speaker 3: I would argue, with great respect to interject here that they are related in that they are preventative medicine. Nutrition is preventative medicine at its core. You know, not to quote stick Man too often, but stick if you're listening big fans, let your food be your medicine as right on that that respect, and the argument is here that it is simple. It is simple to empower people with access to preventative medicine phrased as both healthy food and phrased as what you're describing there, Matt, like the preventative you know, medications that are required to be prescribed by a doctor. Now will future historians look back and say it's an unnecessary series of hoops for someone to have to jump through just to get some food that doesn't hurt them later perhaps, but we'll have to wait until we're in the future to say that. What I really appreciate about King John your message here is that you are by by sending us this, and Matt, thank you for sharing this, we are empowering everybody listening. You know, we know it's a slog. Private insurance often tries to kill people with paperwork, and I would argue that is not hyperbole, not.
Speaker 2: To well, It's helped us learn about things like project open Hand, which is something I had never heard of before. Apparently there's one in Atlanta, guys. You can go to openhand Atlanta dot org to learn about this. But they are providing what is essentially or what they're calling food as medicine, so like specifically prepared foods to help people with certain maladies, whatever they're going through. It seems really interesting. You know, you can, I don't know you can argue the science behind nutrition as the most important thing and to be used as a medicine or.
Speaker 5: Herbs or all that other stuff.
Speaker 2: But it does seem like there is efficacy here when it comes to getting certain nutrition for certain maladies, right, certain vitamins and minerals that will play a part in, let's say, preventing heart disease or at least pushing it back. It's really interesting stuff. I want to learn more about them. I don't know enough yet as of this momach so I just found their website. But it's very very cool. Oh and guys, I think we have time for one more quick message. Our goodpal Brock Nests send us a quick message and it's just for us, I think, but let's go ahead and.
Speaker 8: Here got I can't put even nerve. Yeah, I'm listening to this podcast trying to forget about how I'm going to die, and then you remind me that everything I do is because I'm trying to distract myself from the fact that I'm going to die. What I would like to speak to the manager, By the way, it's the Brocknest Monster, and I'm totally kidding. A great day.
Speaker 5: Bye, here you go conversation.
Speaker 2: All right, while we take this quick break, we'll send the manager your way, brock Nest Monster.
Speaker 5: Okay, we'll be right back.
Speaker 3: And we have returned. Brock always good to hear from you. Fantatology that's the fancy word for the study of death. The book that we reference there is the denial of death. That is the theory proposed. Shout out to our pal Josh Clark, who is out Egypt. Wade now as you hear this, well, maybe back, but let me save you some time and say that the thesis of that is exactly as put in the earlier conversation. The the concept being that people generally do things that are recreational beyond reproductive or survival needs entirely to distract themselves from mortality. Speaking of segues, here here is a response we got from a good friend of ours out in the Netherlands talking about a situation that fascinates a lot of us here on the show and hopefully you as well, folks. Most importantly, our buddy Luke writes in regarding the concept of these mandatory speed limitters, which is a real thing. Let's just give you the long and short of it, Luke says, a Hi, guys, just wanted to point out some corrections in your most recent Strange News program, First Geography, you may have mixed up Ireland and Scotland. You mentioned that the new regulations regarding speed limits would be active if you just drive north enough from London. That is not the case. The island of Great Britain, which encompasses England, Wales and Scotland, would not be affected because the UK is no longer part of the EU. Pausing here for a second, because Matt, I think we talked through that a little bit.
Speaker 2: That might have been my bad. Maybe I said you drive north. Just so everybody is aware, Ireland is a whole separate thing from the UK.
Speaker 3: Well part of it.
Speaker 5: Well, well.
Speaker 2: Yes, but if you're looking at on a map, it is like a whole separate island essentially.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, geographically yes.
Speaker 2: Yes, drive there unless you drive onto a boat and then that boat drives across the water and does.
Speaker 3: That counts yes, of course, which what about a case ad you. So that's a great point, so Luke continues. Therefore, if you drive just north from London, you will not encounter cars that have the new speed limit regulations. It will only be active in the European Union. This includes, to our earlier point, the Republic of Ireland because it is an EU member, as well as Northern Ireland, which is not in the EU but has to comply with many EU regulations. Because to your note, Matt, it is on the same island. Yeah, it's like it's gonna look so funny in the future. Always say yeah, it's the same island, but not really. It's like Cyprus all over again, hopefully with less less bloody fallout. So Luke says, the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland they share their customs area, they share the same roads, they share the same infrastructure. And then Luke says something that I think a lot of US will find valid. The United Kingdom made a really bad deal during Brexit regarding Northern Ireland. Northern Ireland has to basically follow a lot of EU regulations while the UK no longer has a say in those regulations and no longer receives EU subsidies in Northern Ireland, while also having to comply with EU standards and suggest a future episode on Northern Ireland, which fully is fascinating, I believe. Yeah, yeah, let's do it. Let's do it. So it also in essence just to stop here, just have a restroom stop here or rest stop here as we call them the US. This is totally understandable. You have to do all the requirements of the EU, yet you don't get the perceived benefits of being in the EU. It's kind of like having to pay your dues to a YMCA and not ever getting to visit that YMCA.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's not a fun situation to be in.
Speaker 3: And I'm sure Brussels is very happy that a couple of Americans are referring to their great experiment as a YMCA. Secondly, our buddy gives us fascinating commentary in a way that was new to me about the state of automotive culture in the EU overall. And again this is a conspiracy realist from Amsterdam, a polyglot, as we'll find. So Luke says, the speed limit thing is not such a contentious issue here in the European Union because personal vehicle ownership is not closely associated with freedom. If you live in a city or even a suburb, like many Europeans do, personal vehicle ownership has actually become kind of rare. And get this guy's associated with a lack of freedom. Huh, right, so directly opposite of what many Americans think. Right but how though? But how but how luckily Luke's here for us and says, great question. Matt, says Luke, because owning a car means that it's usually the only only option you have available, whereas not owning a car means that you have usually a lot of options, for example, metro bus, walking, cycle trains, rental cars if you wish. The car ownership concept has become a kind of symbol for the lack of freedom with that twentieth century car centric infrastructure forces us into like we see when we visit US cities. So it goes back to the old philosophical problem of who is the prisoner? Right, It depends on which side of the bars you see yourself.
Speaker 2: But I have a hold on, hold on there, Luke. If you've got a car, does that mean you can't do those other things? You can't also have a bike or walk?
Speaker 3: I'm really glad you brought that up. I'm sorry I'm making like a a gene Roddenberry Willie Walker face. But yes, yes, it's a good question. It is because ostensibly having a car would consign so one to continual financial expenditures, right, obviously, But then it would not exclude one from utilizing those other resources. Just walk to places, right, or you'll just hop on your bike, you know. Luke continues and says, I personally don't know many people who own a car, and I wouldn't be able to name someone who bought one in the last five years. In my circle of acquaintances. The only people who will discuss speed limit regulation with me are on ironically, US ex patriots. Most of my fellow EU citizens wouldn't even know why to be upset about it. I don't know. I mean, it's a great question because it's a very different culture, right, Like if we were living in a large metro area of the European Union. Let me ask you this, would you guys own a car? I don't know now.
Speaker 4: I mean same with like New York City. I mean, it's almost like more trouble than it's worth. You have to house the car, you got to pay for a parting spot. It's just logistically very difficult unless you're needing it to go on a long trip. Just doesn't make any sense. For the most part. People can get by with renting a car if they need one for like a short term use for taking a road trip, But in an urban situation like that that has decent public transit, it's just way more trouble and expense than it's worth.
Speaker 2: I think my brain, I think my experience might be too bubbled here, Guys. I can't imagine not having a vehicle. I honestly can't, just because I've never lived like in a city, you know, in a very densely populated city area, like in an apartment or something where I do feel like everything's walkable or something. I'm just I've never had that experience. So to me, if I didn't have a car, I couldn't get groceries unless I, you know, did a series of public transit or something to where I.
Speaker 5: Could carry those groceries.
Speaker 2: I guess I've just you know, because of my experience, I cannot imagine not owning a vehicle.
Speaker 4: There are certainly people that move to the big city and share that perspective, and we'll hold onto their car they figure they feel that it's worth it. Or if you live in certain parts of like Brooklyn, say you can find street parking around up a place that you've that you're renting, but you gotta move it for street cleaning. There's all kinds of extra little things that you have to think about. It can get to a point where you're like, is it worth it? Because even if you're you know, if you're in Brooklyn or any part close to like a metro area like that, you can do your grocery shopping by walking down the street. And you can do it a little at a time, because why they got all those little bodegas.
Speaker 3: You know, you don't have to do the big shop.
Speaker 4: You just kind of shop for what you need when you need it, and just bring it in a sack, you know, up to up your stairs and there you go.
Speaker 3: The European Lucifer approaches you by your street parking and says, what do you carrying all those bricks for? Kevin, It is true that the Western Europe, as Luke says, basically, any small, medium or large town offers great or adequate public transit and has walkable, cyclable neighborhoods. To your point, and if you really need a car, says Luke, there's the opportunity to rent cars, maybe just for an hour or for a few days. And Luke says where they live, public transport providers have an integrated system where you can use buses, trains, ferries and subways, as well as rental bikes and rental cars should you need one with one card for all of the things. All of that's super cool. That's not a thing in the United States. Not no, and Luke says these are insummation. These are the reasons why the EU speed limit regulation hasn't had a lot of opposition in Western Europe. It doesn't impact as many people because car ownership rates are not that high to begin with, and the safety advantages of speed limit regulation outweigh theoretical disadvantages. Greetings from Amsterdam, Love your show, we're gonna call We're gonna call this conspiracy realist, Luke, and we're gonna Before we get to our closing act, I want to give a big shout out to a very like Netherlands Holland esque joke that Luke makes ending the letter with apologies for grammar mistakes. English is my fourth language. I'm brushings, brushing the shoulders. Yeah, and it was beautifully written. There were no grammar mistakes, Luke. Luke, you nailed it that, I said.
Speaker 4: I actually read that out loud to uh, to my my kid and their mom. I thought that was just a funny thing, very clever. It probably likely meant to be self deprecating. I don't think it was like a flex. I think it was genuine.
Speaker 3: I don't know, man, I've hung out in Amsterdam and that that's kind of vibe with the comedy, the comedy scene. Good will be beautiful people. Before we close this evening's listener mail started a thing a little while back called letters from Home, not pertinent news, not necessarily responses to stuff, just find how you doing a little bit of a prairie home Companion and the torch has been picked up collectively, so Noel, you found a letter from home that you would like to share, and I think we're all super on board with it. Just a quick one.
Speaker 4: And this is where we're gonna have to give a nickname, because this is an individual that I believe would want his name out there because he's a published author, Matt Ingwilson, and he had this to say. And yesterday strange news episode, you wondered what if absolutely everyone had all their passwords stolen at once. I couldn't resist emailing you to tell you. That's the exact setup of my novel, The Nihilisticicats, which is a really clever name. The characters also investigate other conspiracies, such as whether Wyoming exists and the suspiciously sequential numbering of city Street. I'll paste the description down below, more than happy to send you a copy if that sounds interesting. That does sound interesting, going to read a quick blast through of this synopsis.
Speaker 3: Web World has been hacked.
Speaker 4: The private information of every American posted to servers foreign and domestic, So the government makes a special one time offer start over with the identity of your choosing and get a spiffy neo ameraphone and clean SSN in return.
Speaker 3: I just thought that was really cool.
Speaker 4: Concept and it came up organically in our conversation, and Matt, I appreciate you writing in.
Speaker 3: And the Indie Reader.
Speaker 4: Called this novel over the top fun the best pop culture novel of twenty twenty four. So you can't find it on Amazon and anywhere you get ebooks or books of any kind. And yeah, I really hope that Matt said is a copy. I'm looking forward to reading it and that.
Speaker 3: It's as you know. I'm sure it's very important to me to support authors earning creative endeavors. So I have actually already start to scouting out a way to order your book. I want to support you and thank you. It's funny how many great authors and musicians we get writing in to say, hey, this thing you all explored is actually something that was on my mind as well, So thank you so much. This helps us know we're moving in the right direction. Speaking of moving, here is a letter from home from someone that we have not spoken with directly but am very proud of. I want to give a special shout out to our super producer, code named Doc Holliday, who looked a bit of skance at this at this name. We're going to hear from an astronaut named doctor Sean Proctor. That's right, doctor Proctor. Kind of like you know Marshall brain kind of stuff. So doctor Proctor is the oh, it's a good run. Is the first black woman to pilot a spaceship and the first person this is a true story to paint in space, to make art visual art in the painting medium in space. Awesome, awesome stuff, especially for those of us who you know, you see people change in the world. And one time I fell asleep trying to put on a pair of pants, So there's a lot of context in that one. I appreciate that. Look there, Matt, I thought it might be fun to read a little bit of doctor Proctor's real life Trip Advisor review of living in space. You're ready, okay, all right, So I'll just give you the headings and then we'll pick maybe one or two to read. So we've got location, sleep quality, ambiance, amenities, transportation, cleanliness, food rooms, views, recreational area, overall experience. If you had to choose one, if we each chose one, what would you want to hear first?
Speaker 2: How about recreation? What are we getting up to in space?
Speaker 3: Fantastic. Doctor Proctor finds recreational areas in space of five out of five and folks Yes, five is the highest rating in this particular trip Advisor review. Doctor Proctor says painting in space was a highlight of my life and easier than I imagined. I'm thankful to my crew for giving me the time and space to be able to complete from scratch a beautiful water painting of afro Gaya, Mother Earth surrounded by earthlight under a rising sun and a dragon capsule referring to dragons and space exploration. The hardest part was keeping myself stable. I was weaving and bobbing as I tried to paint. Still five to five good vacation sounds.
Speaker 5: Like dar I want to see that specialized water paint set up.
Speaker 3: I was thinking the same thing.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: It's like when you hear about how using the toilet works.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, you make like a bubble of water and suspended just those little metal point things in.
Speaker 4: Or I guess so without the special gear, wouldn't you end up with blobs of paint kind of just like floating around blogging up your instruments.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when you end up with sort of a non consensual art project.
Speaker 4: Now that being said, there could be if you had a specialized room. You know all those kind of a little bit pretentious painters that suspend themselves in some sort of harness situation and just sort of, you know, drag the paintbrush across the of the giant canvas or splatter or whatever. What if you did that with zero gravity and we're able to kind of like throw paint and have it disperse in a zero gravity situation, that could yield some interesting results.
Speaker 3: The shadows of Pollock, right, and Noel, do you have one out of those things we outlined, do you know one that you want to hear about? A specific one? Again? There are locations, sleep quality, ambience, amenities, transportation.
Speaker 4: Oh well, I always make my travel arrangements based on ambiance.
Speaker 3: Ah, yes, yes, yes, yes, here we go. Ambiance good news. Five out of five. Doctor Proctor says. We spent our entire three days in space inside the SpaceX Dragon capsule, and the ambiance was serene. There is the constant hum of fans circulating airflow throughout the cabin, which acts as white noise. Because you can float, the entire volume of the capsule is available to claim is space you can occupy. Sounds pretty cozy, to be honest, not bad, it does. I'm I'm hearing some ellipses, Matt.
Speaker 2: There are. I have an issue sometimes with like certain sign waves, like standing waves with fans, like worrying and stuff like that. I've got a mental thing going on with some of that. And I wonder if astronauts keep specialized you know, hearing protection something like that that reduces certain frequencies when they're up there because of that constant hum m.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a great question. I guess we'll have to get up there. You know. We were going to go on a road trip at some point, but maybe we should just go to space.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well is it clean though?
Speaker 1: Ah?
Speaker 3: Oh, nice one, Matt.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The one thing spoiler that is not a five to five. And doctor Proctor's trip Advisor review of a vacation in space is glenliness, which gets a four out of five. Still a great score, Still a great score, you know, and doctor Procter says the following, We did a great job of keeping our capsule tidy. There are storage bins for pretty much everything. The only issue was our water bottles. Each bottle has a tiny velcrow dot that used to stick to the wall of the capsule, but they get dislodged and they float around, which is such a small issue, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's better than the mountain dew bottles that have urine in them floating around.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 3: Oh, that was you were there.
Speaker 2: Yep, that's right.
Speaker 3: You know. It reminds me because it's it's such a nice letter from home. It also makes me think of the old joke, Oh God, Noel, you probably saw me do this one live, that there is a worst person of every profession somewhere out there in the world. Is the world's worst A yeah, it's gotta be.
Speaker 4: I mean, just it would have to be determined based on stats, you know what I mean, like, and it would probably wouldn't be instantly apparent, and they'd probably still be quite smart and have done very well in school and in general would be competent at their job.
Speaker 3: But if you put them side by side.
Speaker 4: Uh yeah, one of them is gonna come up as the worst, the world's worst.
Speaker 3: I think the way we joked about it was they're getting the news about the next launch and the crew, and then someone says, and we'll have Neili's mission specialist and then everybody in the room goes o meal to a guy who's always hammered at Applebee's.
Speaker 2: Chocolate two for you know whatever, guys.
Speaker 5: The website Inverse has a twenty sixteen article titled the ten worst Astronauts of All Time, and they name actual astronauts.
Speaker 3: Hey, and I did not write that one. To be clear, I would not in real life disparage the Great Mission to Space.
Speaker 5: They put Alan Shepherd on there is number eight.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, Well, astronauts, give us your hot takes. We'll keep you anonymous if you wish, knowing that you exist in literal rarefied air. Give me a rim shot there.
Speaker 6: Thank you to.
Speaker 3: No, that's perfect. Let's get both of them because that was a horrible joke. Big big thanks to Radical Moderate, big big thanks to Julia, to King John, to author Matt ing Wilson, to Charlie, to doctor Proctor, of course, to everyone who tuned in. We greatly appreciate your time. Will be back with more explorations, past the street lights, past the edges of the known maps. We can't wait for you to join us. We try to be easy to find online.
Speaker 4: Sure find us on the internet, your social media hub of choice at the handle Conspiracy Stuff where we exist on Facebook where our Facebook group. Here's where it gets crazy you too, with video content coming at you on the regular at AXFKA, Twitter, on Instagram and TikTok.
Speaker 3: However, we are conspiracy Stuff show b.
Speaker 2: Like King John and call one eight three three std WYTK when you call in, give yourself a cool nickname and let us know if we can use that name and your message on one of these listener mail episodes. If you got more to say I think can fit three minutes, why not instead shoot us a good old fashioned email.
Speaker 3: We are the entity that read every single piece of correspondence we receive. Be well aware of folks, but not scared. I just want you to know that sometimes the void writes back. Quick correction there, Radical Moderate. As you're hearing this, I mentioned your name, but I did not play your voicemail yet. So stay tuned next week and conspiracy Realist. You might be a part of next week's program Conspiracy at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 2: Stuff They Don't Want You to Know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app Apple Podcasts or wherever you listen to your favorite shows,