Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's the grundle.
Speaker 3: The ain't quite the grassy knoll of the holidays. We hope you enjoy them with us, Covino and Rich and for the Great Dan Patrick. Day three of the Unnatural Dan Patrick Patrick. Of course we had off yesterday. Mary, Belated Christmas. Hope you had a great one. We're live in the Mercedes Benz Studios. Remember to celebrate the journeys that bring us closer together with an exclusive offer on a vehicle you'll dore at Mercedes Benz Holiday Love You Celebration Love You Rich going on now through January. Second Love You, Danny g Learn more at nbusa dot com slash special offers Again.
Speaker 2: I'm Steve Cavino, Live in Joysey.
Speaker 3: Got a Taylor Ham Sandwich on standby, waiting for my Taylor Ham sangwich to arrive. Gonna eat pizza later on because that's what we do in my family. Again, Live in Jersey for the holidays. Everybody else on the West side of eight seven, seven ninety nine on Fox Again, Mery Christmas, Mary, you know all of the holiday season to the Fox Sports Radio Dan Patrick Nation, How was it rich?
Speaker 2: Uh? Your Christmas? My Christmas? I don't know.
Speaker 4: Mine was Uh, mine was successful because the kids were happy.
Speaker 2: When the kids are happy, then you're happy, dad. That's true. Well, I mean what does dad do? What does every dad do?
Speaker 4: Just walk around with a plastic bag collecting used wrapping paper, and as the meme goes, a lot of dad's figuring out for the first time, like, oh, that's what we got you for Christmas.
Speaker 5: Kids.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of that, and shopping running back to the pharmacy because Santa forgot batteries.
Speaker 2: Yeah, cleaning up, that's really it. You're right, that's a dad's job.
Speaker 3: He's just sitting there cleaning up and picking up, uh, breaking down boxes and throwing away wrapping paper.
Speaker 4: I was on the side of my house breaking down thirty boxes, so you're accurate there and dad just sits around that plastic bag and I've actually it sounds corny, but I actually said to myself this, you're like, stop worrying so much about picking up the wrapping paper. Watch your kids joy when they open presents, because a lot of dads really do just like, all right, are you having that wrapping paper? They're going around stuff in the bag, like I just want to get this all cleaned up.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna tell you all about my experience real quick, right quick. But coming up today, guys, Covino and Rich normally on from five to seven on the East, two to four on the West.
Speaker 2: Everything at Covino and Rich.
Speaker 3: If you want to chime in, we're gonna go over the wild sports stories of twenty twenty four. It's that time of year, Rich, where you start counting it down, you start reflecting, you start looking back because again it's that weird time of the year where you're just.
Speaker 2: Laying around getting fat and being lazy.
Speaker 3: So we're gonna reflect a little bit plus old school when fifty hits. We do it every Thursday on our show. We throw it back and reminisce. Today is somebody special, a legend's birthday, and we're gonna think about and talk about people that stood the test of time because I still think this guy brings it.
Speaker 2: We'll talk about it here on the show.
Speaker 3: But must suck though, Huh, what do you mean having a birthday the day after Christmas? I mean some people rest in peace, Rickey Henderson, right, Christmas Day, Christmas Day was their birtha Danny G, I forgot your birthday's tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Is not the worst thing ever, because some people say, oh, when your birthdays are on the holidays before Christmas, you get sort of.
Speaker 2: Separated a little.
Speaker 4: When your birthday's the day after Christmas or two days after.
Speaker 2: It really is like you get the leftover.
Speaker 6: It's like everybody's broke. When I was a kid, I would get the reject Star Wars Action figures, the ones that were left on the shelf.
Speaker 2: You got the buck Rogers action figures. You got Pedal Star Galactica because they were on sale.
Speaker 6: In your whole life, you hear Merry Christmas and happy birthdays.
Speaker 2: Here's your one gift. Little Danny G.
Speaker 3: He was like, I can't believe I got a kiddy came for my birthday chocol Santa, thank you.
Speaker 2: It's a week birthday prove.
Speaker 4: It's kind of the worst. And I mean, I mean, listen, there's bigger problems in life, Bud.
Speaker 2: When you're a little kid, you want to make.
Speaker 4: Your birthday special, and honestly, people are broke. People have done all the shop that they want to do. And I could guarantee you got that birthday Christmas combo gift, and it wasn't. My wife's birthday is the day before Valentine's Day, so you know, as a woman, she feels like her whole life, every dude from her high school sweetheart until she married me was like, here's her birthday Valentine's combo. So when you're back to back with a holiday, I apologize. Sorry, life could be worse. Well, Happy birthday to Danny G. Almost Danny G seventy five years old. Can't believe it. He looks great.
Speaker 3: We're gonna get you ready for the game tonight Seattle Chicago. We'll talk about the games yesterday, we'll talk a little NBA and NFL. And Rich has a theory on how Netflix handled the whole thing.
Speaker 2: We'll explain.
Speaker 3: He thinks everybody sucks, and again we'll explain. But Rich, I got here. I went from obviously Angelus to Jersey yesterday Christmas Day with my daughter. It's sort of tradition because again we're all separated from our families living in La so I use Christmas Day to bring my kid back to see grandma and Grandpa and experience some of dad's traditions and coming up in New Jersey. At Jersey Christmas, and there's still some snow out here on the East coast a little bit, but there's still some snow out here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, shocking. They've never made a Hallmark movie A Very Guido Christmas. Very we know for the holidays. Mom. The tree looks beautiful.
Speaker 4: You mean, the white tree looks beautiful. White, have some pantone and uh, there's always enough couple A Very Guido Christmas coming soon. So yeah, give me to Gina and Rocco's Christmas tree lighting in New Jersey every year.
Speaker 2: It's fascinating. Oh it's great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I get here and I'll tell you about my flight and everything later on. But you know, they're exchanging presence and making my daughter feel special, which is, like you said, Rich, that's the whole key. You want the kids to have fun. My daughter's fifteen, though, so she's not expecting a whole big Oh my god, you know. But my uncle brings a bag up to me and I'm like, what is this? And it's sort of a joke, but it's also kind of cool because the one thing, and I think we all have this before we get into the games tonight, in the games yesterday, we all have that one thing that we lost from our childhood and you're.
Speaker 2: Like, where is it.
Speaker 3: It might be a sports item, it might be an old trophy, maybe it's an old toy. For me, it was my and a lot of people will remember this because a lot of you probably got it for Christmas when you were kids. It was my Darth Vader carrying case. If you guys collected Star Wars like Danny G. Well, Danny G tried, but he got the cheap ones on his birthday. Yeah, the leftover ones.
Speaker 2: Danny G got Gobots instead of Transformers. Yeah, he got whatever it was left over at kmart. Man.
Speaker 7: I can't believe it, Man, I get nothing from my birth Dude, he's seven years old talking like that.
Speaker 2: By the way, Yeah, when I was a kid, I would collect Star Wars.
Speaker 3: When you were a kid, you wanted a Millennium falcon, you wanted all the Star Wars figures, and you would keep him in this giant plastic Darth Vader head, right, that was the carrying case. And somehow, dude, I don't know how or what happened along the way. Maybe my dad had contractors in the house workers here, someone jacked it, bro someone stole it from like the attic. I'm telling you someone stole it. But I would always jokingly say I think I left it at Grandma's house and Uncle Joe kept it. I would always say that because he had that stuff too. Growing up. My uncle's closer in age to me. I'm like, I think I'm Joe Jacketon. So he brings a bag over to me, and I'm.
Speaker 2: Looking at it. I'm like, oh my god.
Speaker 3: I thought, for a second it was for a split second, I thought he found my old carrying case.
Speaker 2: But he went to eBay and bought me a new one.
Speaker 3: So my question is this, So I got a new old one, so it's the original one but never used.
Speaker 2: Which is crazy.
Speaker 3: So from nineteen eighty something, I got a brand new starth Vader carrying case. Now I'm not some big giant Star Wars nerd, but I did jump.
Speaker 2: I did. Okay, he just gave you junk. Okay, well that's one way to look at it. What a trashy gift. And you got to bring a bag on a plane.
Speaker 4: Jesus Christ would have been like, Uncle Joe, thanks for nothing.
Speaker 2: Wow. I thought it was like, how thoughtful a man? Yes, this is coming from a guy who does not like Star Wars.
Speaker 4: I've told family members screen on when I travel and listen, this's a hell of a lot of people to travel around the holidays. In fact, they're saying more people traveled this Christmas since COVID, So this everyone's like, not only back, but it's been five years. Traveling is at an all time high, they said this Christmas. As far as airlines, you are gonna get stuck checking an extra bag at Newark Airport because you're stupid. Uncle geya something from eighty three.
Speaker 3: A Darth Vader carrying case for my Star Wars figures, What do you ever know him? Here's the question. Remember you may think it's the dumbest thing ever, but for me, it was the one thing that I would still till this day go up to the attic and say what happened to it?
Speaker 2: Where is it? It's gotta be here? And my dad is like ey, I'm like, Dad, did you throw this away?
Speaker 8: Ay?
Speaker 2: I need a gee? I never threw that away, right, because my dad throws everything away. But your aunt get your lawn darts to get thus through security.
Speaker 3: My aunt got me Castle grayscoll because I don't know what happened to it. Oh thanks aint Googie eats exactly what I wanted castle grayscale, because I always wondered what happened to my original one.
Speaker 2: No, no, that's a joke. But whatever my Darth.
Speaker 4: Vader CA case is for me, you know something else for you, your uncle figure. That was a good gift. I'm kidding.
Speaker 2: It was very thoughtful.
Speaker 3: He did say it was a joke, but it was also serious because I lost mine.
Speaker 2: I don't know where it is.
Speaker 3: Because that's one of those things rich there's certain toys or things that you had growing up that of course you donated or got rid of or you don't know what happened to. But there's other things you wanted to keep, right Like you keep your matchbox cars, you keep your your he Man like, there's certain things that you're like, I'm not getting rid of those. I'm keeping my Transformers. For me, it was my Star Wars figures gone. So they've been gone and I've been wondering where they went. Long story short, you're saying, what a waste of a gift, But whatever that gift means to you, do I now try to recollect all the little figurines that I figures that I I was gonna say, I was gonna put it back at your parents attic where you thought the original one was. Or do I just leave it here you know it's kind of insulting because it was a gift. Or do I just leave it here and saying thanks it was funny gift.
Speaker 2: Leave it here? I mean it's in its final resting place at my parents' house in the attic it in New Jersey.
Speaker 3: Yeah, probably right, because no, well, you know what I said, and I thought it was kind of a good idea. Now I try to recollect all just for fun, like just all the ones that I had and lost walrus Man Hammerhead E three.
Speaker 2: I have an Uncle Owen action figure you could put in there.
Speaker 3: Thanks, I'll put an Uncle Owen action figure in there. Yeah, yeah, all the weak ones that Danny g had. So you know, I could do that or not. But whatever my Darth Vader carrying case is to me, it's something else to you. So I'm gonna ask you, Rich, what is that one thing that you're like, dang, Yeah, life goes on, but I wonder what happened to that.
Speaker 2: I wish I still had that. You know, it doesn't have to be a toy.
Speaker 4: Our parents either threw out a lot of our stuff or you're right, it's something that you're like, where the hell did that go? And as I looked this up on eBay where you said you're uncle got it, Yes, it wasn't. It's it's a pricey resale item. And to make it clear, well, remember.
Speaker 3: I accused him for years for probably stealing it, because I don't know what happened to that.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think from a present perspective, he's your uncle. I think comedy wise, great gift, thoughtful wise, great gift. But when you're traveling for the holidays, this sometimes has rules. Like I tell my family, don't get my kids anything big, because if I'm traveling, you're really just putting me out here.
Speaker 2: No, you're right, you're right about that. Man Like, yeah, what am I gonna do?
Speaker 9: Now?
Speaker 2: Carry it with me?
Speaker 3: Where am I going to put that stupid thing? You're right about that. I didn't even think about it. I was just in the moment.
Speaker 4: It's like some people bring guitar cases. So some ethnicity's like give us, Like a Jewish guy has a special hat he puts above in the overhead. You're gonna I need someone to put this doth Vader carrying case.
Speaker 3: You're so right about that. Yeah, Danny, do you remember that stupid thing? Or no, now that I now that I bring it up, Oh, no, I totally remember it. I wanted one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's what I had, all of my old ones in.
Speaker 3: I swear someone stole it, and I complained about that all the time every time I come home.
Speaker 2: So again, what is that for you.
Speaker 3: I'm just throwing that out there, something fun to think about your thoughts.
Speaker 2: Again, it was the season to give. That's what I got. I really didn't get anything.
Speaker 3: I didn't really get much of anything, and I'm not expecting anything, but I did get that we all played with the same toys in the eighties or nineties.
Speaker 4: There are a couple of things because my mother, well, like a lot of moms and dads, kept a lot of junk and then eventually would get rid.
Speaker 2: Of it, like take this, or I'm getting rid of it. I think very.
Speaker 4: Early on, my mother threw out my old WWF Action figures, you know, the rubber ones that if like you threw it at your sibling, you can knock them out.
Speaker 2: With the ring. Yeah, that ring again, the little ring and remember the dude.
Speaker 3: The commercial had like the Junkyard dog in it. I believe Roddy Piper was in. Remember all the stars were in the actual commercials. Of course, that way they would come to life when the kids would play with them. Yeah, that was so cool. Everybody had those.
Speaker 4: I just remember thinking, like, that's what you got rid of, all the stupid that you caught. You kept hungry, hungry hip hobs, but you got rid of you know, my hulkster and macho man rubber dolls.
Speaker 3: Dude, the big John stud weighed like eight pounds that thing. I remember my sister took the big John Studd, that big heavy rubber toy, and she took it by the leg and flung it at my head, cut my head open with a That's how hard she hit me. That's how heavy that thing was. With a big rubber toy head as man, they were, you know what rich. I wish I had those. I'm not kidding you. I'm not saying I wish I had my childhood back. But there was certain things. And my Star Wars figures for me eventually turned into you know, you put them in the attic and they turned into starting lineup figures. Right, you put your starting lineups on display, and you had those for a while. I think those are in my parents' addicts still. I think I still may have them somewhere. But whatever my Kennor Action figures, my Star Wars figures are to me, is something else to you. Maybe it's an old trophy, Maybe it is an old baseball glove. Maybe it's your old bat. You know, that's another one rich on a side belt. Yeah, much like your wrestling figures. My parents get so much crap from their five kids, right, you go it up to the attic. My dad always says the same thing, especially around holidays.
Speaker 2: Get your stuff, fat of the attic, through it in the garbage. You don't want it, Hey, take that home. Right.
Speaker 3: They have all these old bats and all this sporting equipment, but they don't have my one magical bat that I used all through Little League, like the one that I would even just want to pick up for a second. Is the only one that's not there. Yeah, that's how it always is, and by the way it is. I bought my son, who's four, he's gonna be five, starts a Little League in the spring.
Speaker 2: I bought him his first bat.
Speaker 3: You don't think he's gonna want that, you know, years from now, even if it's for protection in his trunk.
Speaker 2: That's not something you throw.
Speaker 4: Away Easton big barrel And I'm like, oh, this is the badass one, the black.
Speaker 2: Magic one day. Yeah, the big barrels. That one I had literally gone. I don't know where it is.
Speaker 4: Well, hopefully you had a great Christmas, a merry Christmas.
Speaker 2: And do you know that one item? What is that one item for you?
Speaker 3: Maybe now your grandpappy got it for it, you know, maybe there's sentimental value. Obviously, guys, I don't care about Star Wars action figures.
Speaker 2: Let me make that clear.
Speaker 3: I don't Sentimental value is what we're talking about. You know, Hey, my Grandpapy bought me my first little League glove. I wish I had it, you know, I do.
Speaker 2: Other comdo Am I too over involved as a dad? Sometimes? Like I'm like, yeah, maybe maybe.
Speaker 4: I'm doing too much because I know all the stuff my kids are getting. I'm very involved in the process, and I feel like there's so many memes about Christmas Day is the day that dads find out also what the kids got.
Speaker 3: I mean, an old school dad like Dan Lauria in the Wonder Years. Yeah, he didn't know what Kevin and Wayne were getting for He had no clue Kevin Arnold was getting his jets jacket.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure he knew Kevin Donold was his son, wonder yours.
Speaker 3: Yeah, today's dad in general is way more involved, and you times too, So you're even more involved than the average dad of today.
Speaker 2: So I think the average dad in general.
Speaker 3: Is more involved than yesteryear's dad than our dad's generation, but you are even more involved.
Speaker 2: I think that's fair to say.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean not that I'm patting myself on the back. I'm just saying, like, to me, maybe it's maybe also an OCD. And do I really trust my wife to get the right things, because I'm the one that's like, all right, what do we got for the kids? I think that would be Uh, you're relinquishing too much control if you don't know what your kids are getting until they open it. Danny G do you know, like, do you know most things co got or was Brenda like I got it?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 6: Her personality is a little similar to yours as far as being a control freak. Yeah, so I'd say it's a sixty forty split where she's sixty percent in charge makes sense.
Speaker 4: But hey, if you want to share some stories from the holidays, have at it, because next we're going to get way into the NFL. I think yesterday so many freaking observations from how dominant the Chiefs and the Ravens were to Beyonce to Mariah Carey, what was that trash? We're gonna get to everything that went down yesterday Netflix, NFL, and then lebron chiming in on the NBA. So that's all next Coveno on Rich a little Christmas aft celebration, filling in for the great Dan Patrick.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 8: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 8: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 3: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well, other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 8: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right, So.
Speaker 2: Check us out.
Speaker 8: We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media.
Speaker 2: That's Covino and Rich. All right, welcome back to the show.
Speaker 3: Always a pleasure to be here in for Dan Patrick, the Great Dan Patrick, the're Great and not the Great Dan Patrick, Covino and Rich us us Steve Covino, Rich Davis, Danny g Super producing on the phones at eight seven to seven ninety nine on Fox, Mark Ramsey on the ones, and two is Our Boys Spotty on the videos everything at Covino and Rich Live from the Mercedes Benz Studios.
Speaker 2: I'm on the East Coast, visiting.
Speaker 3: The family, gaining weight eating Christmas cookies, but we all do because it's the ain't quite of the holiday season, that space between Christmas and New Year's. Happy bleated Christmas, Happy Hanukah and Rich. Yes, but to your feedback, but we got to talk the games yesterday. There's some games and some shows tonight. But the only downside about traveling on Christmas Day, I mean, it's Christmas Day. I don't want to be traveling, but I want to see my family, right. It's the price you pay when you live on the other side of the country. Sometimes you gotta go visit your family. I'm on the plane, I'm on United, and I'm thinking to myself, well, I get to watch the games only because I forgot, just kind of forgot for a second that the games were.
Speaker 2: On Netflix and I couldn't watch them.
Speaker 3: So couldn't watch them on the plane, which was complaint number one from me. But I did have Wi Fi, so throughout the day, you know, throughout the flight from La Tonork or as we say, NRK Nork, you know, I'm looking at the scores, I'm like, not very competitive. So my interest because again the Chiefs stopped the Steelers. The Ravens stomped Houston thirty one to two. That's not even a game. But the other side stories were the halftime shows and I'm just reading so much smack and for me.
Speaker 2: People the worst dude. Yeah, but it was very divided. I thought it was very fifty to fifty.
Speaker 3: Again based on my weak ass Internet connection I had on the plane.
Speaker 2: I think that the world is full of just.
Speaker 4: Straight up haters that hate anything it is. It's to the point now where it's almost laughable, where every buffoon, because of social media, has a voice that you could think something was fantastic.
Speaker 2: You'll go on social media and it's just a.
Speaker 4: Bunch of people and I always want to be like, who are you, what do you do? What do you bring to the table, because I can promise you based on your little profile picture, you look at you stink.
Speaker 3: Are you saying a hater's gonna hate Danny J. This reminds me. You know, Rich and I have been on the air for twenty years now, right, so we have lots of stories, lots of moments together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't say that. It makes a sound old. I gotta, I gotta. I didn't say in the bedroom, you're weirdo. We have lots of wild stories.
Speaker 3: In fact, we're gonna discuss the wildest stories of twenty twenty four sports stories later on the show, plus old school in fifty hits.
Speaker 2: We throw it back on a Thursday.
Speaker 3: But I remember one day Rich said just let him let him run with this conversation. He's like, Cavino, I got it. I'm like, well, what do you want to talk about? He goes, I got it? Who types of people in life? I'm like, all right, So we don't know where he's going with this conversation. And he acted like he had the greatest point there ever was.
Speaker 2: And he goes, I've.
Speaker 3: Been thinking about a guy. Jesus, I got a really hot take here. Yeah, and I swear to you he said this. You know how annoying you guys are because you're bringing this up.
Speaker 4: Spot who was like a sleep in his chair two minutes ago, he like popped up, put his headphones on, like, oh, let's make for the watchet.
Speaker 2: I had to this, he knows two minutes ago.
Speaker 4: Two minutes ago, he had left over Christmas cookies and he was sleeping with a lot on his belly case and that was that.
Speaker 2: He pops up and he's like, let's go just in time has entered the chat. Well you know what spot was there when you did this?
Speaker 3: And he knows that I'm speaking the truth, but he acted Danny g What's funny about it is he acted like he was about to make the greatest point there ever was.
Speaker 2: Yes, he had a stephen a hot take.
Speaker 3: He think, guys, I'm about to break the internet with my statement here.
Speaker 2: But Rich David, I'm here to say that Taylor Swift is right.
Speaker 3: He said, Taylor Swift is right, and I'm about I'm already tuned out because I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, what is he even talking about?
Speaker 3: Okay, Taylor Swift is right about what this is pre Kelsey, this is a while.
Speaker 2: She's right about cashmere sweaters.
Speaker 3: He's like, Taylor Swift is right, and I'm like, Okay. The world's on the edge of their seat to hear this amazing point.
Speaker 5: He goes, there's really when you think about it, guys, there are two types of people and they're like, okay, he goes, when you think about it, the player, it's gonna play like play play and a hater.
Speaker 2: It's gonna beat hate hate hate. Fact. I'm like what he's like, Yes, right, there's two types of people there. Like that. That's your point. That was my point. That was his point. You're either a player or a hater. You're either what are you be, Dylan?
Speaker 4: Now, No, it's a there's two typ of people that are doing it. One type of person, you know, living their life doing big things lyrics or and other people.
Speaker 2: Of play play play play play.
Speaker 4: Some people are doing big things. Others are just sitting on the sidelines being haters that are hate hate Hayden. So, you know what, I'll go back to my point from a couple of years ago, you asked clowns. There are two types of people. Because yesterday on Netflix, I thought they delivered as good of a product as you could for a first run at the NFL. They compiled the right announcers. Iron Eagle from CBS, who we love. Greg Olsen was on one of the games from Fox. We talked about how he's top Rosie Prez there for no reason. No, that's just that's only fight spots. But they had Kay Adams, who I'm a big fan of Mina Chimes did great. They had RG three and Mantiteo. It was not like a youthful halftime show. I thought they had DC chemistry. I was not hating at all. I thought the graphics, the coverage clearly all freelance from NBCCBS, Amazon and NBC. But they put together a really good product for their first shot at it NFL on Netflix, I think, Yeah, there was some little eye rolliness in the pushing of other Netflix properties, like.
Speaker 6: Yeah, like forced Netflix promos were a little much like.
Speaker 4: Hey, look there's uh, you know, there's John Ham. What's going on John Ham. I'll tell you what's going on my new Netflix show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there was, But is that just over analyzing and hyper awareness because you know it's the first time it's on Netflix, Because you have to keep that in mind. Rich is right about that. Rich better point already here on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Hate if you were if you weren't handle I mean, if you were playing right, Yes.
Speaker 6: No, because I think the other networks, I think the other networks coveno, they know how to kind of ease into those promos and just show the actor like in attendance and then mention it and when we're used to like Jim Nance's voice, sir, a voice doing that, but to let's go to the sideline and then they interview somebody for the Netflix show and the Netflix show promos popping up. It just felt like it was pushed in our face.
Speaker 2: It was. It was a little batch.
Speaker 4: I know you're saying, like a Jim Nance would be like, welcome back to NFL on CBS. I'll look at there, there's Jim Parsons. Don't forget Monday Nights, exact Big Bang theory on CREBIS like that. You're used to that in the past. This was a blatant let's talk about our hottest properties on Netflix.
Speaker 2: Hey, look, does Nate BARGHESI, Hey, you know my new stand.
Speaker 4: Up sfessional Like it was pushed, but I thought it was fantastic.
Speaker 3: Okay, I think crossovers, cross promos. But again, you already said it, first run at it. You look at anybody's first run on anything, it's never gonna be where it's at now, first run at it.
Speaker 2: Let's think of the positive.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna give it all to you, Rich because I wasn't able to watch because it was on a flight. But from the flight looking in when you talk about that cast. If you have complaints about Mina Comes, I think, hey, Kay Adams balances that out right, They balance each other, right, I thought, I think they're both great. I think Greg Golds is great. RG three is great. I think that hole castic youth said, I think if you want to focus on the positives, I think they're great and they're only going.
Speaker 2: To get bad.
Speaker 4: We always talk about the world loves to hate as the first instinct might one might say hate hate hate. It's our default set, and it is bad because let's say, oh that's stunk.
Speaker 2: I really want you to then tell me what really stuck about it?
Speaker 4: What Kay Adams, who was fantastic, but if you do DraftKings or FanDuel one of her shows, right, she was on the NFL network, She's good, mean to comes, ESPN talented, And I really thought RG three and meantiteo, you know, bro like a fun youth to the set And it was only the halftime. In pregame, they had a couple Netflix celebrities spiced in here and there, and I thought, I An Eagle made the funny joke, but he was with the JJ Watt and who else was he with? And he said, hey, if you're turning into Netflix, I know, right, the Stranger Kid, the Stranger Things kids got old real quick. He even made a like a fun liner. I thought it was great Beyonce. People are saying that was better than some of the halftime shows of Super Bowls passed.
Speaker 3: Well, I think it was cool. Again, I only saw highlights. I got to make that very clear. So I'd love to hear from the opinions of the Fox Sports radio Dan Patrick Nation eight seven, seven ninety nine on Fox, because the feedback on social media was split. I think it's cool that post malone came out, but I did hear that it wasn't that good. Like there's a lot of questions posed of hey, what did you think of these performances, And those questions are posed because not everybody was feeling good.
Speaker 4: As the phrase goes, opinions like buttholes, everyone's got one and most of them stinking.
Speaker 2: He's reading lyrics again. No, it's opinions are like podcasts everybody.
Speaker 6: I think there would have been less criticism if the games were more competitive, because overall it left a little bit of a bad taste for Christmas Day because we were hoping for some good matchups.
Speaker 3: Danny g buh bam. That was like what I was getting at. If the games were competitive, they were good, you don't think there would be less complaints about what was going on.
Speaker 2: Look what they had to work.
Speaker 3: With here, two boring games. In reality, they were just trying to polish a third. These games were not competitive.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean a combined score of sixty to twelve, twenty nine ten and thirty one two. The games were not competitive, no doubt, in fact, no diggity, no doubt. But I think Netflix as a whole. You turned on your TV, you're smart TV. There was you clicked on Netflix. As soon as you clicked on Netflix, they gave you the live option. Hey we're doing NFL today, boom play, You could rewind, fast, forward, stop.
Speaker 2: There was no weird. It was even easy for your parents to find what you're saying, no doubt. And again they.
Speaker 4: Hired out some big guns, Iron Eagle, Gara, greg Olsen. They had some familiar faces from ESPN, from Fan Duel and DraftKings and all the networks had their own little way of throwing one or two of their guys or girls in. I thought it was great and anyone that hated it.
Speaker 2: Truly was just the type of person that's instinct is to just pounce and hate hate.
Speaker 3: Remember there's there's players and haters. Rich Taylor, switch is right, you know. Let me let me read what you actually said, just to get the phones going, because we're going to you now. Eight seven, seven ninety nine on Fox. As an observer on a plane, all I saw was a lot of split people on this. Rich is saying it was really good, especially for a first run. He said, Netflix killed it. Everybody sucks. That's what you said, and I want you to stick to that.
Speaker 4: I do.
Speaker 2: I think Netflix did.
Speaker 4: Like, if you are part of the Netflix production, you got to be waking up today saying hey, listen. We had four Marquee teams, two trash games. But as far as the coverage, the graphics, who we freelanced from Fox, CBS, ESPN, we put together a quality product. We brought Beyonce in to do the halftime show, where again my algorithm showed more people loving Beyonce than hating Beyonce. And it's wild to see back to back comments on Twitter or Instagram or TikTok where one person could be like better than any halftime show in the last decade, and then other people were like trash.
Speaker 2: I thought the overall production.
Speaker 4: The only thing I thought suck.
Speaker 2: But cheeks was Mariah Carey. And I'll tell you why. You gotta say it deflated but cheeks if you're going to say that.
Speaker 4: The only thing that was the equivalent of whack ass deflated but cheeks was my interpretation of something. And I'm wondering if you could think of other examples of when something was advertised and you're like, that's not what I thought was happening. I thought Mariah Carey was gonna be at Heinzfield fifty yard line wearing like some fur with some you know, people with bells, and like a gospel man behind her, and she was gonna sing all I Want for Christmas is you to kick off the NFL on Christmas Day.
Speaker 2: It was like a.
Speaker 4: Pre made video that she could have very well recorded six months ago. It was the whackest crap I've ever seen in my life. I'm like, that's the Mariah Carey kickoff, Like a weird taped.
Speaker 2: Version of her singing a song she sung a million times. Super weak.
Speaker 4: That is the only ridiculously weak element of the NFL on Netflix, change my mind at Rich Davis, Cavito Ritche will take all your feedback next and your observations out the NFL on Netflix and is it really the NFL's day now? Because someone else has something to say about that, and his name is Lebron James. We'll get to all that coming up right here. CNR in for Dan Patrick on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern, six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAP.
Speaker 3: Happy Holidays, the grassy Knoll of the holiday season, a space between Patty blaated Merry Christmas, Happy Honikah to our Jewish friends, Covino and Rich in for Dan Patrick live in the Mercedes Benz Studios. Day three of our Unnatural Dan Patrick Holiday hat Trick. If you miss Day one and two, definitely catch it on the podcast and follow our podcast search Covino and rich wherever you stream.
Speaker 2: But Rich, let's go back to the phones, because sir, we're all this split.
Speaker 3: Like a pir of cheeks, Like a pair of cheeks, a pair of holiday cheeks split right down the middle. Because of how Netflix handled the games yesterday. I was only disappointed because I couldn't watch because I was on a plane.
Speaker 2: That's not something people thought about. Yeah, traveling, I couldn't watch. I was like, dang, most airlines have networks.
Speaker 4: So if you've travel on a Sunday and you're on most airlines, either you could stream their live TV on your phone or they have the TV.
Speaker 2: In front of you.
Speaker 4: But you're right, Netflix, you can't really unless you pre download things, and you're not gonna be able to stream a live event probably.
Speaker 2: And that's exactly what happened to me. So that's my complaint.
Speaker 3: But reading the feedback, Rich, it seemed like I said, split down the middle, let's talk to the Fox Sports Radio Nation and chop it up. Rich said Netflix killed it and everyone sucks because you're just a hater.
Speaker 2: I think it's true.
Speaker 4: I think they assembled a great casting crew for their first go at it. I thought the graphic package looked sweet. I thought the games would lackluster, but Beyonce everything about it. I feel like Netflix did everything they could to make this event big and people are just damn haters. Let's go to Tampa, say what's up to Ryan? Ryan, you're on with snaw. What's up, Bud?
Speaker 9: Good morning guys.
Speaker 1: How you doing.
Speaker 9: I'm happy holidays to you. I want the Netflix did an awesome job, and let me explain to you why. First thing is, you know how on holidays you got to bounce from house to house to house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course.
Speaker 9: Netflix makes it easy because you can actually pause it from your home and then when you get to the next spot you're at, you'd either watch it on your phone, you can watch on a TV. And so I was at the same spot in the game where I was when I left my house to go to my parents' house or to my wife's parents' house. So that was the first thing. Second thing was Netflix made it really easy to look at Some of these other broadcasts had lots of things on the screen, except this had a small thing in the middle, and I was able to focus on the football game. And as far as the commercials went, I loved the commercials because there was all the shows I was telling my wife she had to watch now.
Speaker 4: Honestly, instead of some weak ass commerce uh that that you're forced to watch.
Speaker 2: He's right.
Speaker 4: A lot of the commercials are just here's what's coming up on Netflix.
Speaker 2: Dude, you got to see the happy.
Speaker 4: Gilmour too teaser and I was like sweet, So it was it was a Netflix stroke fest.
Speaker 2: But guess what it was on Netflix.
Speaker 3: I like that positive spin on it. I really, do you rather watch Commune?
Speaker 4: I'd rather watch a teaser for squid Game, which we're gonna get to later on the show Squid Game Season two comes out today. Did you rather watch a teaser for the new show you're excited about? Or I don't know, like a.
Speaker 2: Coffee commercial or a car commercial. Oh, it's like ads on social media, right.
Speaker 3: At least the ads pertain to you in your personal interests, So there's a positive there if you're going to look at ads you want something you're interested in. But I think it comes back to our default setting as a society, just automatically being negative all the time and our reluctance to change. You know, if you read social media, everybody thinks they're an expert. It's like, you're not a broadcasting expert, You're just a fan.
Speaker 2: Let the pros do what they do.
Speaker 3: Everyone just has a real hot take and negative opinion on everything.
Speaker 2: Rich is saying it was great. I like that.
Speaker 4: Let's go back to the phones. Michael in Nebraskt. What's up man, c R you guys doing I just think you go on social media and our point is just that people tend to lean towards it sucked and it's like, did it or did Netflix actually do a good job.
Speaker 10: I think it kind of did both and at the same time, well we were able to trump TV and come back to his nice. I didn't like the way that the broadcasting team was put together all together during the pits pits for game JJ and I forgot who you now do it? They didn't mix together at all. They bounced against each other and nothing works.
Speaker 4: I mean they tried, dude, I mean, Iron Eagle is a big voice for CBS, so at least it was a voice you knew. Like when Apple TV does their baseball games, people hate it because they take young broadcasters or you know, they try to do some little different.
Speaker 2: And people hated.
Speaker 4: At least You're like, yo, Iron Eagle, he's always on like a top two a AFC game every week.
Speaker 2: Let's go to you know, getting rich.
Speaker 3: You already said this, but it's their first run at it, so it's only going to get better from here.
Speaker 2: I did think, like I said before the break.
Speaker 4: The Mariah Carey thing was the only weak sauce on the menu in my opinion, the fact that we thought Mariah was going to get out there. Not that I'm a Mariah fan, but I turned on the game right when the kids are done opening the presence out here on the West Coast. I was like, oh, football starts in like ten minutes.
Speaker 2: Perfect. Yeah. I was like, babe, Mariah Carrey is going to kick it off. All right, I'll be right there. My wife comes in with the coffee.
Speaker 4: The kids are playing with their toys, and here's Mariah, and they like priss play on a video she probably recorded a month ago.
Speaker 2: You know what that feels like?
Speaker 3: Well, when they do that on New Year's Eve, it's like that's not a live performance.
Speaker 2: They're just playing some WEEKNSS video from somewhere else. You know what it's like.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's like on the Year's Eve when Seacrest or someone kicks it to another location. It's like previously tape tears. You know, Kelly Clarkson, You're.
Speaker 2: Like, I sure recorded this crip a month ago.
Speaker 4: Who is very misleading. So we're gonna get to the NFL games themselves. As we get closer to the playoffs. I think there's something we learned yesterday and there are levels, levels, levels, levels, there's levels to these teams in the NFL. It is very clear to me and it should be very clear to you that I'm not saying they're pretenders, but there's a lot of teams that are going to make the playoffs that the organization should be proud of themselves, like, Yo, we made the postseason.
Speaker 3: Are you saying there's two types of teams contenders and pretenders? You should write a song about it.
Speaker 4: You know there are, Because after watching yesterday, could anyone make an argument for anyone other than the Kansas City Chiefs to three Pete Lamar Jackson and Derrick Henry to be unstoppable and get hot, which they are, or Josh Allen and Buffalo peaking at the right time. There is the other AFC teams should peck a little overnight bag. They could impact their Uncle Joey's Darth Vader.
Speaker 2: He a helmet.
Speaker 4: They just need to pack it up and say, hey, it'll be nice for the organization to be like, hey, we were made the postseason.
Speaker 2: But no one there's.
Speaker 4: One lucky team that's going to join those teams in the divisional round and that's just gonna be pure luck of the schedule, like who gets you in round one? But the reality is the AFC is a three headed monster.
Speaker 2: And we're gonna talk about it.
Speaker 4: I want to know where if you had to rank these three teams in which order do you put them?
Speaker 2: Chiefs, Buffalo, Baltimore? Are you going in that order? Are you going? No? No, No, I'm going Ravens, then the Chiefs and then the Bills. Are you saying no? No?
Speaker 4: This is Josh Allen's here because those three teams can be done. That's what it comes down to.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 3: We're live in Mercedes Been Studios. We go to your phone calls next and we talk Lebron too. He says he loves the NFL, but Christmas belongs to the NBA. Your thoughts on that get you ready for Thursday Night Football and more?
Speaker 2: All right, more CNR and for Dan Patrick