Speaker 1: Yo, yo yo. What's up? Is Baron Davis aka the presenter of bart Oatmeal the Legend Get a Bowl and you can catch me on the buleg kV podcast show Believe Bluelet cav Podcast. We got a special guest in here, a legend. His name is Baron Davis, Hey, bar Oatmeal Believe Get a Bowl.
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, I just want to give you props because I'm a basketball fanatic and you were one of my favorite players to ever watch. I remember when you got drafted by the Hornets, like watching like the early Hornets days. Man, you was like a fucking you were just like a shot of energy in the league, like on.
Speaker 1: Your size, could dunk on everybody. Like, man, you have to you know, you have to come in the league back then, like you have to make a name for yourself. You know what I mean. You coming in the league with you know, you got juggernauts. Still you got stop some malons, like because when you get drafted ninety ninety nine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's like, yeah, Penny was still around, uh.
Speaker 1: Everybody every day. It was just coming into his own. Steve Nash just was coming into his own. So it was like the the it was kind of before the wild point guard renaissance. Yeah, like midw I would say, we had a hell of a point guard renaissance. So my air is pretty you know well, I mean yeah, I mean especially I think that was the start because you were coming in while a lot of those guys like stocked In and the traditional point guard Mark Jackson were going out. Yeah, Mark Jackson was a post up point guard. Ros Strickland was to get to the whole type of point guard. So they was all k was there. Yeah, I was in his prime.
Speaker 2: Now I still don't know because I hear people consider him like he's more of a shooting He was a guard on that team. Yeah, Eric Snow was the point guard. Yeah, he was a scoring guard. I remember those battles man, you against that dude.
Speaker 1: He was sick. Yeah. Yo.
Speaker 2: I wanted to talk to you because I feel like correct if I'm wrong. I remember seeing something when I was like younger, when you were in the league. Were you throwing up your neighborhood like ever on video, like when you were like making shots and shit? Because that never happened, okay, Because I wanted to ask you about how you feel about the job and ran shit because I was in the job rane kind of interesting, and you were obviously a young kid who came from a serious area of LA got drafted into the league.
Speaker 1: I'm sure you dealt with a lot of shit. I was just guilty by association. But I mean I don't I don't remember, you know, maybe off the court, but I don't remember. Like on the court, maybe I did. You know, sometimes you get hype, you know what I'm saying, like anything happened. But obviously you you know, we did a lot back then. You feel what I'm saying. It was a lot. We did a lot back then, and there was a lot of you know, if we had social media back then, everybody will be like have horrible Tarnus images, you know what I mean, because it was just you know, back in the day, like you could win no camera phones, so like whatever was cracking, you know, right then and there it was what was cracking, Like you have to have a video person, You have to tell somebody bring a camera, you know what I mean. Back then, So you know a lot of people was like not so much getting in trouble, like cause I don't think John Morett is in trouble, you know what I mean? Like he did some you know, some stupid shit, right, but at the same time, like we've been doing like we've been doing stupid shit for the longest time, long time. You know, a microscope. Yeah, yeah, it's under a microscope. Because you know, I was saying to uh, just to my friends, Man, I'm you know, I cried on my twenty fifth birthday. I cried on my thirtieth birthday, and on my thirty fifth birthday, I was like, damn, dude, I'm gonna make it. I'm gonna actually live, you know what I mean. And so just thinking about, you know, that journey from the time I got drafted to the time I hit thirty was just it was just a lot coming back home, you know what I mean, having to deal with that, you know, being on the road people you know, just during the season, people think you SAWT say something to you. You know, you gotta go find him in off season and see if it's real, you know what I mean, Like just wow, you know what I mean. And like I think, once I kind of got to go to the state, you know, things just start kind of like leveling out. I was like, man, let me change, let me change who I am, and like, I don't need to be this. This is not me, you know what I mean. I'm not I'm not like, I'm not like this, you know, I want to be What do you have to prove? Like I didn't have shit?
Speaker 2: You're you know you're a millionaire on TV every day you ain't.
Speaker 1: At the same time, like, bro, I'm scared to die. Yeah, it's real out here, you know what I mean, Like they shoot at athletes out here back in the day, crazy, right, Remember Jalen Rose got shot at. Why are you shooting at Jalen Rose? Right? Who the fuck shoots at Jalen Rose? You know what I mean? And he was on Sunset, so that just you know, for me, it was just like that era was a lot of jacking, you know. It was a lot of pressure, extortion. You know, the NBA players are getting extorted, Paul Day, NBA players, rappers, uh, musicians, anybody came to LA. It was just not a good place to be, you know what I mean. Like if you got found or you was out shopping. It like if if you can stay low cool, but back then if you was, you was on the move and you get caught it. I mean, you at Thay mercy.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, because I always like, like, obviously a lot of the stuff is highly back to the camera phones thing. We see a lot more of the people getting robbed on Sunset or on Melrose, and it's like, yeah, that kind of shit has always been happening in LA. But I feel like back in the day it was really like peak, you kind of had to come to LA and like if you were gonna move around, you really had to be in line with some guys to make sure that there wasn't any sort of.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that was the whole Like, uh, the tap In era, the tap In era, people's chains were getting took people. Yeah, you get the chain back, We got it. I mean, you know, I got a couple of chains back from some for some uh some rappers actually no basketball players who changed, you get.
Speaker 2: We don't talk like that.
Speaker 1: I don't even know what labeled the I just know they one of my favorite, you know, one of my favorites. Uh, you know, a couple of rappers, man, just that's just how it be, you know what I mean, Like couple rappers just like come to and you gotta think like coming up in that game era, the era with the game. When Game was first starting to like break out, like, it was no blood rappers. It wasn't no bloods famous period, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you really think outside of Mac ten, Yeah it was Mac ten and then and then the game, and then everybody was a blood.
Speaker 1: Everybody started being bloods, you know what I mean. So imagine like rocking with a blood that is on his way up, you know what I mean. In LA. So it was a lot to deal with with that.
Speaker 2: And he was the face of LA for like a decade. He carried the whole coast for like a very long.
Speaker 1: Shit and and I think it just kind of for me, like hanging with Game made me realize that, Okay, men, my plan was me and Game rocking together. I mean, he can unify the music, I can unify the hoop, and then we can create this l a unified system where like we can make it better for dudes, you know what I mean, Like we can stop all the jacket and shit like that. You know what I'm saying, Like at least if they're fucking with us, they rolling with us, they ain't gonna get jacked, You don't gonna get robbed, ain't gonna get into no funny business, you know what I mean? And like that was the goal is really Like once I saw that, I was like, man, like Nip coming, Domn coming. You know. YG had had a couple of songs, but YG was on his what you know what I mean. It was a bunch of dudes just like on They Rise. And I was like, damn, dude, Kendrick, you know what I mean. Jay Rock was out, but Jay Rock was like on his wife. So like, I remember we did the Gang, the Cripson Bloods Gang documentary, and I was like, man, I need to put a soundtrack together, and on the soundtrack it's all them dudes, like damn their first soundtrack, right, I remember album? How long ago was that documentary?
Speaker 3: I think I want to say twelve four. I think two thousand and four.
Speaker 1: Jesus Christ, Yeah, it was like two thousand and four or when I got to Yeah, it was like two thousand and four. I think I was in New Orleans when that came out.
Speaker 2: When you end up on the Clippers, being a guy who's from where you're from, playing in LA obviously not for the Lakers, but playing for the Clippers, sure, you guys have a very very entertaining team. But was it like how much of the like extra shit did you have to deal with it?
Speaker 1: Being home all of it? Uh, you know what, like being playing for the Clippers, Like and I never really talk about that shit because people always talk about Doun Levy or Donald Sterling, you know what I mean, But just playing for the Clippers. Like my mission when I left Golden State was like, all right, I know the Clippers are the Clippers. I'm coming back home to hopefully do what I did in Golden State. I told Golden State, give me three years, you know what I mean, with being the playoffs if we get the right people around, you know what I mean. Like, that's what I like, that's what I wanted to do. So coming here it was like, yeah, if I can get the Clippers to the playoffs, if I can turn the Clippers around, then there'll be a whole different story, you know what I mean, so historical, it would have been historical, and so like that was kind of like my mission. It was like I need to get through those first three years because the first three years is all bullshit, you know what I mean. You gotta clean up, you know, all of just negative shit that be going around and you gotta protect your teammates, and then you gotta build your teammates to where they feel like they can walk in like we walking in the season and like it's just us, you know what I mean, And then it's us and the coaches and then everybody else. It's our family, you know what I mean. And I think with the Clippers, it was just that's it was just hard, bro. That's it was just hard because it was a lot of racism, sexism, backstabbing, people telling lines, snitching and shit. And I was like, man, I thought we came to work to play basketball. So all of the Donald Sterling shit was very accurate, extremely extremely accurate, you know, I mean, besides him, you know, being like a piece of shit in the scum of the earth, Like he's actually that speaking of extorted, he got shopped down for real. Sure he got him on camera video. Yeah she did him dirty. But he deserved it. Hell yeah, he deserves. He deserved way more than that, bro, you know what I mean, You desive a lot worse than that.
Speaker 2: It's crazy because I went from having this like like genuine like love for the Warriors growing up as a kid. They were kind of like that fun team to always watch. And then obviously the era of you, Michael Petrice, Barnes, Jay rich was such a dope era. But then fast forward to this whole lass like decade of basketball. I fucking cannot stand these Warrior fans now again, because they knew they're new.
Speaker 1: Listen. I lived in Tampa, Florida.
Speaker 2: I was doing rady on Tampa at the time when the Steph Curry and and and the lebron and shit was happening. And I'm in Tampa, and all of a sudden, there's just this influx of hardcore Warriors fans in the middle of Florida. And I'm like, where were y'all when Mitch Richmond was there, Chris Mullen, Yeah, Baron Davis. But it it's crazy because you have such like a place in Bay Area history, in Warrior history. What is it like for you to kind of you like, the Warriors are kind of like a forgotten franchise and I feel like you helped kind of re establish them on the map, but now they're like the franchise. Ye, what's that like to kind of just witness like.
Speaker 1: It's amazing, man, you know, I just consider myself the curse breaker. You are the curse breaker. I am definitely the cursebreaker. Uh. And I you know, I just kind of like I love watching the Warriors play. They played the right way. I'm a huge Steph Curry fan. I never forget saying to the Warriors, like when I signed with the Clippers, like y'all don't even like y'all gonna forget about me, like this kid is he's next, he's your future. And when they win the championship, I feel like I went to you know what I mean? Uh, And you know I was. I would say, just for us with that, we would leave squad and me in the Bay Area. It wasn't just on the court, it was off the court. Is being accessible to people in Oakland, San Francisco, in the hood, in corporate, in tech and so like, you know, the Bay Area to me is home. And that's hard to say before La, dude, you know what I mean, But it's like I got I got real family, real real people who take care of me, you know what I mean? Uh, in the Bay Area. So like whether I'm in LA or the Bay's, no, there's no difference, and there's definitely no hate. You know what I'm saying in between anymore. So you know, my goal was just when I went to Golden State was like, yo, like we got to establish ourselves as somebody, you know what I mean. Like we can't just be like the dead corpse, you know what I mean that a Pacific Division. We got to have at least a style. So if we get beat, like whattherfucker's it's like, oh, good game, that's you know what I mean, Like I got game work. Yeah. But when when I got there, that shit was dead. It was you know, it was just like a lot of dead energy and dudes didn't even want to play basketball. So for me, it was like, how the fuck don't you want to play basketball? This is like how you relieve your stress, your mental health, all that shit, Like basketball was that. And so once we kind of like got to a point, I think the city was just like hold on, Like we got people who actually care because nobody liked before whether you wanted to be there or not, you didn't know because they just kept trading coaches and players in and out. You know, Don Nelson Mike Montgomery was the coach when I first got there, and then we had a little success at the end of the year, and then they brought him back, which was a bad move for the second year, and he started coaching you know what I mean, which is yeah, not probably something he can really do well, Ladies of good dude. And then Don Nelson came in after Mike Montgomery. Yeah. Crazy, and then we believe the year Dog it was crazy. Uh, you know, we sucked that year year. I mean, you guys are the eight seeds, you get the playoffs barely, like uh at all. At All Star Break, there was like we were the odd person out, kind of like the Lakers this year. They were the thirteen seed at the All Star That's exactly where we were. And then all of a sudden, we just hit a run, like we figured it out, you know what I mean, Like.
Speaker 2: Were you there the year that Steph got drafted or was that in the off season traded off season?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we missed the playoffs. I go to the Clippers. The Clippers have a bad year, the Warriors have a bad year. The Warriors draft Steph Curry. You know, Pick, I think.
Speaker 2: I'm a huge Stuns fan, and I have to ask you because you and this guy aren't necessarily tied together but you guys do have some kind of coincidential yet it's you and because obviously you leave the Clippers. He yeah, for sure, you leave the Hornets Chris Paul team. What's your relationship like with CP and is there I mean, listen, I have friends on the Suns, and I would say most of my friends are not.
Speaker 1: Too fond of Chris.
Speaker 2: What is your like does he get a bad rap amongst other NBA players? And how's your guys' relationship because you guys are kind of tied together with two friendchies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and crazy enough. I got all the love and respect for Chris Paul when Chris Paul was at Wake Forest. I called Chris Paul when I was in the league, like, yo, bro, I fox with you. I think his grandfather died. I was like, man, shouting you out, like you gonna you know what I mean, just like kind of like you know, we're brotherhood at the end of the day, for sure. So like me and Chris have always been linked like that. And so when I left Charlotte, New Orleans and he came in, I kind of figure like, all right, I'm gonna clean this ship up and then I'm gonna let Chris Paul. Then Chris Paul gonna come in and take it, you know, to another level. But you know, I just think as a player, like he's an incredible point guard, you know what I mean. I think that's end.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's a rising guy. Feels like with like his teammates.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's a big personality. I think when you look at him, you think, you know, CEO president, you know what I mean, Corporate Players Associations President of NBA players. So when you're looking at that, you know, at your leader out there on the floor, you know, like he he coming with a full corporate you know what I mean, corporate like he running it. He running that team away. He want to run a team. You feel very much a coach on the floor. Big guy. Yeah, he'll be a great He'll be an excellent coach, for sure. He will be an excellent coach.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's like like you said, like he's he's very much he's running the team.
Speaker 1: He's just he he come in like his ship is corporate business.
Speaker 2: You've played for a lot of coaches and I do feel like that. We'll see certain teams like make a coaching change, and it's like day and night right, How important is coach like a coach like on an NBA team, Because a lot of times you'll hear, I guess, generic basketball fans, it's about it's in the players hands, like the players ain't performing.
Speaker 1: Man, No, it's it's you played for some bad coaches. You played for some great coaches. Play play for some terrible coaches. I played for some great coaches too. I played for some coaches that had we had one or two other pieces, they would have been Hall of Fame. Come. You know what I mean? Championship coaches, the team dynamic and the coach dynamic, Like you need a good coach. Good coaches are hard to come by. What determines a good coach? You know what I mean? A lot of coaches when they come into the business, they like they have established who they are, their style, what they're gonna do. A lot of times coaches that are players separate themselves from the players today in order to be okay coaching. Then, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Seems like at times like if there's a guy who used to play, they kind.
Speaker 1: Of Mike, Hey, dude, Mike Dunlevy, he played in the league, and all he would talk about in reference is when he played, which was like in the fucking seventies. Gives a fuck, You're not like you're and you're a point guard. So like I used to always be like like, yeah, when I play, I said, coach, if you played in this Ara Bro sweater, guy, I elbow you in your face. I follow you to the locker room, elbow you again. Well, he wasn't a great He was not that great of coach. Mike Dunnet. He was tough. He wan't to get along. He he he was his son. Never on your guys team. No. I played with Mike Mike Jr. Mike Jr. Is dope. He was cool. I played with Mike Jr. And Golden State. He actually got he was the trade. He was the person that they traded to Indiana for stat Uh and Al Harrington. But like that's your crazy team.
Speaker 2: It was a it was a how much weed was getting passed around in that and those off off season when you guys were like, you know, how they move together? Everybody was one of the highest teams in the NBA.
Speaker 1: It was up.
Speaker 2: It was you had Al Harrington, Stephen John Well, he's got a week now.
Speaker 1: But it's all yeah, But he he based that off his grandma. And then Matt Barnes, Matt Barnes pothead. Oh my good, Stephen Jackson podhead. I'm smoking. I'm a smoker. I'm not a pot heead just I mean, I wouldn't say that I'm a I'm a smoke, but I ain't no pot. You know. I guess now maybe how crazy.
Speaker 2: Was like the Bay Area night life scene in like not crazy, not crazy because it still wasn't crazy.
Speaker 1: It's not crazy, but it was up, you know what I mean when we was winning, it was up because.
Speaker 2: That was like right after like the hyph Era was like it was it was in the middle of it was almost it was Yeah, we were still getting Hyphie and ship.
Speaker 1: Uh you know, to kick the sneak we was running. We was running that up. Uh who else was we running out? Mister fab has federation. Federation that was old, that was older. Yeah, we was, Uh obviously forty is always forty. Forty was cool. Let me ask you. Forty wasn't around when we was forty was not? I was gonna ask forty wasn't around, Ron.
Speaker 2: Rolle, forty forty went, whether we believe you no, never we have to talk forty next time I see him and be like, you know, didd he said, you wasn't there, bro, No, he wasn't there.
Speaker 1: He went, No, he he showed up a couple of times and ship. But you gotta think like in that time, he forty was touring and traveling. True, he had to the joint ghetto report the ship with fab and all that. So for us, it was like shit, if he forty would have came to the game, it would have like we matched E forty. You feel what I'm saying, Like our energy match E forty. Like we we the ones who started telling the Warriors, ya, why we playing Bay Area music when we at home? You know what I mean. I remember, I'm only in town for the uh oh yeah mister yeah. Like we've been yeah life for the party. So we've been in layups and somebody lay up like this, everybody just start dancing and ship fuck the lambs. We just start grooving in the lawn. It was cool, man. We had a We had a great fun team, and it matched the personality of the city, of the city of the whole entire Bay you know what I mean. Because it wasn't just like, oh, we was stugging out, smoking weed and ship like that. Like, no, we was doing a lot. Bro. I was like, I just start getting in tech. You know. Matt and Stacked, they were always in the city doing you know, dope charity work. Monte was doing. You know, was a young young boy and he was a young he was a young dog. He was a young dog. Jack Rich had been there for five six, seven years doing everything. Rich is a beast. He gave the Sons a couple of great years. Man, Jay rich Man, when we when I when I got there, I was like, man, I remember sitting on the bus and we was all like, man, can we make a playoff?
Speaker 2: Run?
Speaker 1: YadA YadA. We was like in the middle of the run, I said, Man, we gotta do this shit for Jay rich This man has been in this organization for seven years, five years and had eight coaches in five years. And all j Rich wanted to do was get to the playoffs. He was the best teammate. He wanted to hoop and get to the playoffs. And he kept playing hurt you know what I mean, shit like that. And I remember, because I was a little older in my career, was like this because of injuries, like I didn't give a fuck. I just wanted to play because a lot of injuries in your career, and it was harder to not play because all the ship that was going on that you can get involved in when you just hurt and not playing, and people got access when I'm playing, Yeah, I'm busy. I ain't got no time. So I think, you know, even with j Rich, he kept coming back hurt and I was like, man, take your time, come back, bro, cause like you well we need you know what I mean? And like I was just happy that we make the playoffs because like, if you feel our energy, like it was all like, yo, we gotta get to the playoffs with Jay Rich, Jay Rich, you gotta get in the playoffs. Like you in the playoffs, you're gonna go crazy. And he did. He did. What's up y'all?
Speaker 2: We got to stop the interview real quick to tell you about our good friends at my bookie. That's right, it is NBA Finals. You gotta hammer the nuggets. I don't know, they might.
Speaker 1: Sweep the heat.
Speaker 2: I would look at the like serious odds on that go to my bookie.
Speaker 1: Right now.
Speaker 2: Let's get some money man, All right. Baseball, of course is in full effect. We got Stanley Cup Finals, NFL seasons on the way. Sign up at my bookie dot ag right now, use the pomo code Bootleg and you will get that first deposit bonus.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: Look, I don't care where you're at. You can go to my bookie dot ag. Let's gamble on some sports. They got the casino. You can do live blackjack, you could do live roulette, craps, you could do all kinds of slots. And of course bet on the NBA finals, bet on the NHL Stanley Cup Finals is crazy shot outs to the Vegas gold Knights.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm rooting for. And of course baseball season. Man.
Speaker 2: All right, so look right now, my bookie dot ag, use that promo code Bootleg and sign up. When you do use that promo code, they're going to give you a first deposit bonus straight to your account, free money. All right, my bookie dot ag, go do that. Also, got to give a shout out to our family at Blue Chew. That's right, ladies and gentlemen. It's getting hot outside. That means I don't know what that means. It's just hot. So I feel like when it's hot, people want to fuck more. Right, So you know, fellas if you're dealing with the rectile dysfunction, it happens to the best of us.
Speaker 1: I'm sure.
Speaker 2: Maybe you are old, Maybe you are dealing with stress at work. Maybe you don't want to sleep with the same lady that you're married to over and over.
Speaker 1: Need a little extra motivation, they get that thing. Stand up, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Go to a blue choo dot com, use the promo code Bootleg, and they'll send it straight to your door. Three month supply a blue Choo for free.
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 2: Now, does blue Choo work? Yes, it does. You're gonna get a free month supply to be able to see for yourself. Blue shoo dot Com promo code Bootleg. Now, if you don't know what it is, it is the same active ingredient as viagra and sialis, but in a chewable form. And you do not have to go to a doctor's appointment. All right, You do everything online. You don't have to go sit at a doctor's office and talk to some old man in a lab code about your dick issues. Not necessary anymore in twenty twenty three, right, So go to blue Choo sign up with that promo code Bootleg get a month supply for free.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to the interviews.
Speaker 2: Have you ever gotten bipped in the Bay. Let's where they crack your window and take your shit.
Speaker 1: Na uh uh you know that's the thing in the bay maybe bipping. It's called bipsitty Oh is it? I know that?
Speaker 2: So like now if you go to the Bay and hein't got no car, I'm taking Like if you have a rental, they say, like anybody will tell you you roll your windows down and you pop your trunk open when you park. So that way, when you're going to your restaurant, you're going to the hotel or whatever, nippers will.
Speaker 1: Drive by and they've already been. It's been here.
Speaker 2: No no, no, no, they won't even bother it because they'll know ain't nothing in there. The thing is is they'll crack your window even if they don't see anything. The windows getting cracked, no matter, just because it's an inconvenience state. Everybody to pop the trunk take everything in that.
Speaker 1: It's wild, super crazy ship.
Speaker 2: Yo, talk to me about the U c l A Days man, because uh, one of my best friends is a U c l A. Brewing and he was in college in a fraternity when you were playing, and he was just like so excited when I told him that you were going to be on the show. Uh, what was like the energy being because an LA kid at U c l A. Obviously that was crazy. You guys were really good.
Speaker 1: Yeah. We we had once again some problems my freshman year. Shae Cotton, they didn't let it he was supposed to come with us. Uh. And then Jelani and Chris they got caught up, you know, for smoking during like the first year or whatnot. And so we kind of played like everybody played out of position. My freshman year we started two point guards. Toby Pailey played like the three, Chris Johnson played the four, Jr. Henderson played the five. And so it was crazy because we had all the talent. If our if our team would have potentially came together, you know what I mean, and we could have sustained it. We had all the talent to go out and win it. So U c LA it's all about winning national championships for sure. So for me it was just like, man, like, I want to win the national championship, but I also want to like this bitch on fire, you know what, I mean, like let's send it up, you know, and so you know cross Is dunks all that, like we were there that like no matter what we're gonna we're gonna create some entertainment, you know what I mean. Growing up watching U C l A basketball, it was always like they were always good, always highlights. So I was like, man, I gotta go there and like I gotta make sure I get my highlights, you know what I mean, like they remember me. Yeah, it was more so like they have to remember me, Like I can't just be you know, a traditional point guard. They got good stats and make All Conference. Now I gotta do some ship where these people are gonna remember me, you know what I mean. Do you feel like USC has slowly taken over La?
Speaker 2: Absolutely no, I gotta ask you because they got they got they got James.
Speaker 1: If you don't, they're definitely taking over. I mean they've kind of had football front. I ain't even got football.
Speaker 2: We beat them, listen. Then Lincoln Riley's a hell of a coach.
Speaker 1: And you know it's a famous quote, it's just SC. It's just a SC. Don't worry about.
Speaker 4: It's so crazy to me because those two colleges, like if for people who don't know, Like if you were to just drive around USC, it's in South central, right, and then if you go to the other side of town, it's it's u C l A.
Speaker 1: It's like night and day. The vibes, the just the students, like the student flavor and energy is different. You know, like SC got like more of a downtown Like they more like downtown, so they got like a New York kind of vibe, you know what I mean, or like a I don't know, a downtown vibe. On the West side, people chilling, super laying out. You know, we're going to the beach. You know, people from s C. They not driving all the way to the you know what I mean, they not driving all the way to the beach. They're going to go trying to find a rooftop pool. Right.
Speaker 2: Talk to me about because I always do say that hip hop and basketball have always been so heavily aligned.
Speaker 1: They're parallel to each other.
Speaker 2: There's been a numerous artist outside of yourself that have had ventures in hip hop. I mean I remember growing up in Phoenix, s Mari Stodom.
Speaker 1: Had a label.
Speaker 2: Everybody growing Rollo had a label. I'm forgetting somebody he.
Speaker 1: Had a label. Do you remember the Best Kept Secrets? Yes? Yes, of course. Jason Kidd had a song. Jason Kidd, Brian Shaw had a song, had a video video. Sid had a video out. Great DJ. People don't great DJ. He can get down? Who else was on that album? I had it? I bought it. Yeah, I feel like I got to remember just being like what these guys are? You know? They was getting off to Dana Barrows. He had a song and a video. It was sick. But but that's what That's what I'm doing now. That's what I was gonna say.
Speaker 2: You're obviously involved in in You've always had your hand in hip hop. I feel like even when you're in the league, you'd pop up in the game video or you would be, you know, around a lot of these guys. Since obviously ending your career, what has been because you've been involved in so much on the entertainment side, kind of give me a rundown on what's going on on the music side with you right now?
Speaker 1: Yesh I created this character bart Olmeal bart o'mill is the legend. The legend is bart Oldmeial. His tag get a ball. You know what I mean? You ain't gotta get one. You know, you can bring one if you have one. Uh. And so I just start thinking about, like, damn, my career over. I'm djaying, I want to get better as a DJ, start producing, start sampling, producing, doing all that shit. And then nobody would rap to my beats. So I was like, all right, well I'll start riding and rapping, spin them all. Two beats can't be worse than Chris Webers. No, bro, I got heat. I'm just saying because Chris Webber had a beat on the No. He had like two beats on the NA were the worst songs. And I love Chris Webber.
Speaker 3: It's like Chris Webb, we got beats that NBA saw When NA says yes to that beat, it's because you're Chris Webber.
Speaker 1: It was a dope sample. He had a dope sample. No man, it was shot out the web. He took the sample from the from the Whiz on that on.
Speaker 3: That song with the NA song, the one song on hip hop is dad, uh was not it?
Speaker 1: Which wasn't for me? So so yeah, man, I'm producing. Yeah, ain't nobody rapping to my ship? All the rappers around here they like, oh yeah, that's cool. You know, I'm like, all right, send me, send me the record back. You know, it was Curtains Crickets really yeah, but I also feel like it was early too, and so I was like, man, I'm just gonna keep grinding. I I don't play basketball no more. So I go to the gym, go to the studio, and I started making a studio basketball because then I got a chance to write. So write a script. It one day I write a script, one day I write a short story, one day I write you know, just start making music and start writing. And so I started making music, start writing, and I wanted to create this character Bart Oatmeal that can speak and say whatever the hell he wanted to, you know what I mean? Because Bart and Baron is that completely different. Bart says something that doesn't yeah, and Bart is yeah, Bart, Baron Davis created Bart Oldmeal. Bart Oatmeal is slowly not fucking with Baron Davis. Okay, that makes it?
Speaker 2: Would you say that the uphill battle for you is like because we know you as Baron Davis.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure. So it's hard because.
Speaker 2: We I don't think we've really seen Damian Lewire's done a decent job recently of like you know.
Speaker 1: You can get down. Here's dumb, But.
Speaker 2: Is that the uphill battle for you? You would think it's it's like a benefit, but it's also kind of not see you as a as a legendary NBA player player.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's what I you know what I mean, it is what it is. This is fun for me. You're doing it because you want to? Yeah, I'm doing it. Hell yeah, I'm like, you know, it's also like good mental therapy, you know what I mean. I went to I went to the art. Like it's like going into the arts allow me to be able to like kill a lot of that anxiety, you feel what I'm saying, Or be able to sit and watch a game and not have anxiety about if I would it, should have did it? You know? Yeah, none of that, bro, It's just now I get to be around another community and build a community of like dope artists. Still funk with my NBA dudes, you know what I mean. Now they rapping, So it gives me reason again to be involved because I can produce, curate and then bring the NBA dudes and the rappers together for ballers.
Speaker 2: Yes, sir, you are hell yeah, Okay, So I know a couple of guys that wrap it. You might not do you know Jared Jackson Junior raps J Yeah he's recorded here.
Speaker 1: Yeah he's hard trip j what up boy? He came. That's my dog, Dame dam It's called Miles Bridges. Miles Bridges, who is actually dope Dope, super dope bones, Highland Dope Bones Hyland raps. I mean Katie has a song from like twelve years ago. You got to bring the whole everybody together, man. Yeah, all the dudes just like Ola Depot he sing. Oh yeah, he could sing like Serge Ibaka. He got like kind of like a like an AfroB vibe. Yeah, for people have Victor Olipo's don't Yeah, Victor oly Depot can sing for real for real? Uh? Who else? It's a couple other people. Uh. Kawhi he rapped, kaid I put it, he put a he put a compilation out, But Kawhi rap see I I yeah, I got, I got. I was in the studio.
Speaker 2: That hard because I have hard. I have a hard to me. I would I would only assume he had zero flow. No, he hard, bro, He's just like Monday. No, No, does he rap like he talks at this press conferences.
Speaker 1: No, I gotta hear this. No, It's it's crazy because you know, we all chilling in the studio and he's playing the ship and I'm like, man, who is that this motherfucker going? He was like, Yo, that's like good, that's he was like, hell yeah, wow, Like he dope. Her Derosan is dope. I don't doubt that. The man with a lot of dope rappers. The mar sounds like god damn two thousand, like he should have been out with in the game. Hell yeah, dumar hard damar. Who else lou Will is dope? Will's been dope. Yeah, shout to Will. My guy's got one of the greatest lives ever. Hey man, he friends. At the same time, he was dropping videos on World Starr and Ship the swag, all the swag. Terry Roseier is hard. Scary, Terry scary, Terry is hard. Yeah, it's a bunch of dudes. I've just been like DMN dudes, Darren Darren Waller. I think John Moran wants to be a rapper. I mean, you should him on something. I'm sure he can't. I'm sure he can. I'm sure he can. What would be everybody act like he going to jail or something. It's like, oh, you're gonna have free time. He gonna be honest. It's like, bro, he's not going to jail. He didn't commit a crime. There's no crime committed. Everybody in the world is like, damn John Moran going to jail, John Moran, like you about to do life. It's like, no, he's not, Bro, do commit a crime. I know, I think this hard. I think the whole thing is very overblown. I just think that, you know, once again, we go back to social media. You go back like think about this, right, every day you wake up your basketball content you get in from who social media?
Speaker 3: Steven A, Oh yeah steven A or skip skip yeah.
Speaker 1: Shannon Shark, JJ Reddick, Richard Jefferson. You feel what I'm saying, Like, man, who's credible? I mean, JJ Redick and Richard Man, if you don't knock it off, how could JJ? I mean? And I love JJ Wright, but here a great career, man, Listen, BRO hit a long career. So did Richard Jefferson. So yes career, they'd had a great career. But the what made JJ Redick like what made me kind of sour on JJ Redick is how he disrespected Jerry Wes. You feel what I'm saying, that was it. I'm gonna lead that at that, you know what I mean? Yeah, because JJ Reddick should never speak on Jerry West. You can't even sit at the same table, bro, if it's a big ass basketball banquet, you are not you know what I mean, You're not at the same table as Jerry West. Jerry was not even talking to you, bro. To be fair, though it ain't no to be fair. I think Jerry West, he said, Jerry West played with what plumbers? Right now? Go back to JJ Reddick clip and he said, man, I choose three hundred jumpers a day, you know what I mean? I do my workouts was harder, bro. And you couldn't fix a car and go play basketball, JJ Reddick did all this just to be an NBA. You couldn't have been a mechanic and did that like so, you couldn't have played when there was mechanics, right. I don' want to hear that, you know what I mean. I can't. I can't listen to that because you put all this work in to be average. He was a specialist. He was average right right right?
Speaker 2: He was not an All star. He was a he was an average bridge great role player.
Speaker 1: He was average. He's a good role player, he was average Jerry West the logo, right, So we like. The only thing I don't like is like a lot of time people just be saying shit for like clickbait or cloud or probably what they personally feel. But when you look at you know, I'm a historian, When you look at the game, it's like.
Speaker 2: You can't disrespect its rim damn near thirty something bird shoot better than you look at I look at the basketball convo kind of like the hip hop convo, right, because you can't say something you can't say you can't disrespect run DMC because when they when they started making hip hop, it was a different.
Speaker 1: Art form ever disrespected.
Speaker 2: But I'm saying, like when we talk about the all time break list, right for guys liked even like rock Him, somehow gets like like slept on that because it's different hip hop.
Speaker 1: Dudes was talking shit about Tupac, you feel what I'm saying. They was talking shit and talking about Tupac couldn't rap, you know what I mean. And it was like, Okay, who's saying this, right? Yeah, No, that's fair. You know, that was my whole thing. Like, so like making up getting your media from like five people true Big Perk shout to Park shout out.
Speaker 2: Like sounds like he sounds like bun.
Speaker 3: Be and PIMC when he says when he says players.
Speaker 1: That sounds like U GK, Brog, Big Park V up there rapping.
Speaker 2: They ever did they ever try to like hit you to try to do something similar?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like, uh like I feel like audition Yeah, I just never auditioned. I did the T and T thing. That was cool, but it was uh, it was just what about a podcast? Would you do a podcast? Yeah? I feel like I should do it.
Speaker 2: You should, man, there's lots of money out there, and there's some shitty, shitty basketball players doing podcasts getting money.
Speaker 1: I know. Yeah, there's some real role players out here, you know what I mean, It's some real people that shouldn't be talking out here or shouldn't be talking about certain ship you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: You mentioned something earlier that like doing music writing, being a creative now helps kind of you keep your mind off of maybe some of the what ifs of your NBA career. You were somebody whose career was filled with a lot of what ifs because you had a lot of injuries.
Speaker 1: Give me, like, how hard?
Speaker 2: Because I don't think we hear the side of like somebody like you who's an All Star, who I mean, at your peak, when you're healthy, can play with anybody in the league. When you have one of those careers where there's a lot of injuries, how much does that weigh on you mentally when you start like thinking too much about like damn, if I'd have been healthy or what if?
Speaker 1: For what could it? Would have? Should have? Like is that a hard thing to kind of a deterioration of the mind, right when you think about if I would have, should have, could have? And you can't do nothing else about it, you know what I mean. It's like I can't turn it around, you know, after I retire and be like, all right, I'm gonna go ahead and do all this shit, right, you know what I mean? It was just you have to accept life and what you thought your NBA career was gonna be, I supposed to what it actually is. And then you gotta learn to appreciate like there were better players than you that had shorter NBA careers, you know what I mean? There are sorrier players that have had illustrious careers. You know what I mean. You made it food like who is cut like you? Who came from what you came from, you know what I mean? And then you should respect everybody who's played in this league from here to here, so everybody gets to respect and appreciation. And I think for me, it was like all right, now I can lead that shit right there, I'm done. I want to leave it there, and like I can't talk about like I can talk about it all day. If I would have should, I can talk about it. But if I start living in that erg my mind be I'm be thinking about that all the time. So me, I can never really be present, right and I can never really be half pride or the confidence, you know what I mean That I need to be present because I'm always thinking about some shit went wrong. I fucked up. I should have did this, or I should have did that, or what if I wouldn't got hurt, or if I wouldn't have got hurt. Yeah, but like yeah, if I wouldn't have got hurt, like it had been cracking, but I got hurt, And a part of like me being hurt was like I always played hurt, So it was never help your career. My whole career, I was never healthy, you know what I mean. It was like not one year, maybe one year or two that I kind of came into the season like I feel good, Yeah, you know what I mean. Like other than that, it was always like I came in college with a just came off aca my fresh My first year in the league, I had torn carllage in my knee. I never got surgery. Second year in the league, still had that torn carlage, had a little minor surgery in the off season, played, came back played the second year. Third year, that's when my back start hurt, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Like it was just just always we're dealing with it, but it was like I couldn't.
Speaker 1: It's like you be hurt. But then it's like dog and mine just starting like you can't be out there. You start feeling bad. You want to work harder, You can't work as hard as you want to get to overthink yourself into a place. Yeah, hell yeah, it's not It's not easy, you know what I mean. It's not easy, Like you know, waking up every day and like you know, thinking about can I do this again, you know what I mean, Like Doe, they love me, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: It's like, well.
Speaker 1: You know what.
Speaker 2: The one thing about you, Baron was I feel like anybody who was like a true basketball fan, like I really appreciated when you were playing because you were like I feel like you were kind of like like like who It's like kind of like fucking guy. You know, like a few guys like you, Like I remember I used to love watching stuff on Malberry Yo. That last nixt team you played on. Were you on the team when the insanity shit happened?
Speaker 1: Absolutely? What was that like? To be busiest? It was the craziest shit ever did.
Speaker 2: Got to stop the interview to tell you about our family at odds Socks. That's right, the most comfortable socks in the world. Ladies and gentlemen. Go to odd socksofficial dot com. Use the promo code bootleg keV or bootleg. Both promo codes work. You'll save twenty percent out and check out.
Speaker 1: Twenty percent off.
Speaker 2: These are the odd socks basics all right now. You can get like a pack of all black, pack of all whites. Of course, they got all kind of crazy licenses. WWE Cheech and Chong. They got teenage mutant Ninja Turtles. They got SpongeBob SquarePants. Brouh, Look they got the SpongeBob SquarePants Krabby Patty draws.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now, you don't want Crabs, but you do want miss your Crabs underwear because these are fire, all right. So look, go to oddsotsofficial dot com right now, use that promo code Bootleg, save twenty percent off of checkout. And uh yeah, listen, trust me when I say most comfortable socks you ever put on your fucking feet and the most comfortable boxer briefs.
Speaker 1: What are we talking about? Man? All right?
Speaker 2: Oddsoxofficial dot Com promo code Bootleg save twenty percent off of checkout, great gift and just treat yourself, all right. Also got a shout out to our family at King Pom. Now, if you guys don't know about King Pom, King Pom is all natural raw baby, Yes, all right, we're talking about the leader when it comes to tobacco free, natural organic leaf wraps. If you're a smoker, a tote, or a straight West coaster, you know what I'm saying. Whatever, you're into King Pom's they got it for you. What's great about these these are like one of the best uh products that they sell. Now, this is turping infused tobacco free leaf. And what's dope is you stuff your flour into it and then you press on the thingy you know what I'm saying, and then you got flavor. I'm gonna show you what it looks like when it's stuffed with some great tree from Harden.
Speaker 1: Of course. Ah look at that right, Get.
Speaker 2: That thing stuffed up. The tip has got that flavor in it. Wherever you're at, man, make sure you check out the You know they got the smoke shops, they got those on lock. They got seven eleven's on lock. We're only smoking out of King Palms. Baby, you already know what it is. And if you go to kingpoms dot com, Kingpalm dot com, kingpom dot com and you use the promo code bootleg keV, you will save fifty percent off at checkout, half off at checkout.
Speaker 1: Fifty percent off.
Speaker 2: If you go to kingpom dot com and use that promo code. The promo code is down below. Go run it up. Try some of these flavors too, man, the peach, pineapple, the strawberry shortcake. They just got so much going on. There's also all kind of dope smoking accessories. You can get half off, y'all, what are we talking about? Save fifty percent off kingpom dot com promo code below. It's either bootleg or boutleg calvm. These promo codes you got might have had hurt. Try both of them, all right, one of them.
Speaker 1: Get you fifty percent off. Goddamn it. Anyway, let's get back to the interview. Because it was kind of like my locker was next to Jeremy Lynn's. Oh so it was cracking after those games next to the locker. It was No, it wasn't cracking. It was like, my locker is here, Jeremy Jeremy Lynn locker is here, and there's one hundred and fifty media in the locker. I mean, not cracking. You have to leave. You have to get hey man, hold on, let me get my shit and let me go change in the in the regular bathroom, in the bathroom stall. Heyde Jeremy Lynn had the whole team changing in the fucking shower wherever we could. You couldn't be in that locker room. They have to move him from the locker room, and every interview he had was a press conference. Crazy. It was like one hundred and fifty people every time he had to get interviewed. He couldn't do it in the locker room because it'd be too many people in the locker locker room. You couldn't change, you couldn't stretch, you couldn't do shit. So they have to like take him to another sport. D'Antoni coaching that team. D'Antoni was, Yeah, it's crazy because I think like me and D'Antoni used to call Jeremy Lynn angels in the outfield. I tell because I told that because I was Jeremy Lynn was there to like help me get back to planning. So I needed another week. And so that's how he wind up staying that week, playing against brook the Brooklyn Nets, and then going on his run. That's how he got his other ten day. Because I wasn't ready. My back was still fucked up, and if you would have been healthy, we might not ever would have never seen Jeremy Lynn. Crazy.
Speaker 2: There was like this thing because Mello was injured at the time, right, and went on that run.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I told Mellow. Mellow was carrying the team Mellow was carrying the team and he was like, you know, we were struggling. We was like losing by six, losing by four, and it was all due to we didn't have a point guard that went downhill because Mike Mike Bibby was on the team. Right was on the team, but Mike Bibby was Mike Bibby was towards the end of his career. Tony Douglass was a point guard, but not really a point guard. Aman Shumper was a rookie who was a shooting guard, not a point guard, play on that team. Yeah, so like j R. Smith on that second time, j R. Smith a rookie. Yeah, he was my rookie year, but like his rookie year was uh the I feel like that was the year I got traded to go to State. Yep. I think it was yep. So you played with him for like a half a year. Yeah, but he's you know, Swiss used to live with me. Yeah, like he lived with his parents in New Orleans, but like you know, when he wanted to go out and hang out, like I'm spending night at bad house, We're gonna go to practice. So Swiss is like my little brother for life.
Speaker 2: I didn't say the mellow Jeremy Lynn thing. I remember the national narrative was like, uh, you know, how's mellow gonna play with Jeremy Lynn when he comes back from being healthy. Was there like any sort of like ever any tension in the locker room between that with that whole situation.
Speaker 1: Uh, there was some weird shit going on because obviously like we're riding the wave super wave and thelysanity wave is a mellow out. Remember he was injured when he when he went on that run. Yeah, yeah, he going to run. We went like five six in a row. Mellow come back. But when Mellow come back, Jeremy Lynn is the biggest star in the world. Fucking fuck New York in the world. Fuck New York the world, bro sure the world. He is the He has literally went from like nobody to the base of the NBA for sure. And you gotta remember, also, I feel like we are just transitioning out of the whole lockout, remember the lockout squeeze. So we about a year and a half or maybe two and a half years in so it's like the league is still needing a thing to happen. Man, when that thing happened. It was like Mellow came back and Jeremy Lynn was so big. He was bigger than Mellow media wise, and so it did create a little like this ship is not like we can't we can't live in sustainable or not. Yeah, Bro, we can't live in this, but like we should be living in it. But I think like it started to create like tension in the in in the way we played, you know what I mean, because it's still Mellow team. It's Mellow is still the dog, Mello, you know what I mean. Mellow is still our goal the team. Omari was on the team. Amari was injured and coming back. But remember it was Amari's team first first year had a rocking. When he had that first year with the next we had it rocking, he had it rock mother injury another I mean yeah, think about that, like like now, imagine Amaro Stottamayer, what if? Why Why would I sit here and be questioning myself crazy? You got people like you know, Amari Stot, Yeah, Brandon Roy, Penny Hardaway, Grant Hill.
Speaker 3: Grant Hill would have been probably been the top ten player ever, Sewan Livingston.
Speaker 1: Like Bro, we ain't even get to see the real Sean Living. I mean we saw it. We saw him a great career. I saw him have an incredible career, but you didn't see what could have been. You know what I mean? But you can't live on that ship?
Speaker 2: Was Mike D'Antoni Because I'm a Suns fan, so obviously I have a place in my heart for him. How was he like to play with Was he.
Speaker 1: Doing the seven seconds or least ship with you guys? Mike D'Antoni was as a coach? Was cool? Yeah? No defense? Did God give a shit about defense? Is one talking about no defense? He wasn't talking about it talking about it? I ain't talking about no defense just seven seconds or les offense. No, it wasn't so much seven of seconds. It was just more so like he needed his point guard to go north south. Yep. And as talented as you were being able to go north south, his point guard was the most integral part of the of the offense because anytime point guard goes downhill, the whole lane, the whole defense. Yeah, because you got shooter, you got shooters surrounding.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And then if the big man is setting a pit, you really playing two on two basketball. If they stay at home. So like, that's why Steve Nash was so good. You know, Chris Duhan had thirty one assists the Knicks. Duhan was a fucking I remember Havings and his system man and d'antoni's system. If you're point guard and you go north, That's why Jeremy Land was so successful because at the time he could penetrate that pain man. He just put his head down, drive right and go and he's not bad. He can make players at the rim, he can finish. He's a big your guard, you know what I mean. But if you go downhill, even if you get in trouble, somebody's open facts and so like that's kind of like the D'Antoni system. That's why I went to the Knicks, you know at the end of the day, because I was like, damn if I can get right, right, I can, I can Steve nast this ship, you know what I mean? Yeah, hell yeah, but it's just like I fuck my shit up. I came in and the Knicks not thinking I'll be able to walk again. Was Isaiah Thomas the GM at the time, it was Glenn Gronwall.
Speaker 2: Okay, shout out to Isaiah Thomas. Very scared that he's going to take over the Sun's GM position.
Speaker 1: We'll see, Oh, that'll be dope. I don't know would it be.
Speaker 3: We'll see that's real tight with Matt Ishbiel, So yeah, that'll be dope.
Speaker 1: I will see. I'm just liking. I'm like, I think James Jones is there now. Yeah, James is great. Yeah, James, James Jones is cool.
Speaker 2: Okay, give me quick, your favorite teammate you've ever played with and the best teammate skill wise you've ever played with. Your favorite and the best are two separate things.
Speaker 1: Person Yeah, I would have to say probably, Like, damn, dude, I got so many favorites. I hate doing that ship.
Speaker 2: Just give me, give me the first one that comes to mind without you know.
Speaker 1: Or give me a couple of mantel is. Elden Campbell. Eldon Campbell the o G big Homie. Eldon Campbell is the original and I need people to know this. He is the original big homie. There's nobody in the league that was calling they centered big homie outside of us. Eldon Campbell took the whole big home. Yeah, me and him. Dereck Coleman, Hell yeah, dude, we had some crazy people. Hey dude, we had Derek Comen used to bomb on me.
Speaker 3: Wow, hey man on the Nicks.
Speaker 1: The nicest, scariest you know what I mean? Big, I mean you could ever have. He's a very underrated power forward. He's super underrated. Yeah. Yeah, Brown was on that squad. Elvin Kimbell was the first big homie, So you know my big homie. That's fun. Yeah, okay, what about the best the best teammate I've probably ever played with. That's tough. Yeah, so I mean I played with Mellow with the Knicks, so I saw I wasn't like where I was, but he was doing some crazy ship Jamal Mashburn. You got to put him up there cold, You gotta put him up there. What about turing the Clippers run? Who was there's nobody Blake came but he was young, but nobody Yeah not not like well, when when Blake got drafted, he didn't play the first year. Yeah, he got hurt the first year and then he came back his rookie year. It was really his second year, his second year, but he got hurt his rookie year. I feel like I think he did too. Yeah, I feel like he got hurt the rookie year too. What was on your Clippers team, because I remember DeAndre were my rookies. Eric Blesso was my rookie. Eric Gordon was my rookie. Jesus, that's a lot. Those are some guys. Yeah, those were my rookies. Who else was on the team. I can't remember. Craig Smith, Ryan out from here? Uh Eric go, Yeah, those are my rookies. Ryan Gomes was on that team. I believe Eric Gordon. We we you know, we had we had a cracking like when we when we had the black Ship and DeAndre er was your rookie too, was of a Suns fan.
Speaker 2: The Dark Ages is when the only jersey I could go buy at our team shops.
Speaker 1: Was Eric Eric Closets and the other point guard from Kentucky what was his name? He was really nice?
Speaker 2: Uh you about Tyler Tyler h Ednis, Tyler Short.
Speaker 1: I like that kid. All right.
Speaker 2: Last question, hardest player to defend that you had to play against.
Speaker 1: Hardest player to defend? Yeah, oh man, okay, let me tell you this unfair. I am a point guard six three maybe two fifteen two eighteen at the guard Michael Jordan or on the Wizards the Wizards, but which was still a the fifty point game. Wait, you were guarding Jordan when he didn't score them all. He scored like eight ten on me. Wow. So for people who don't know that, people, fucking that's up. I'm gonna tell you this is where I think there's a Michael Jordan like Maketrix you can fall into because you watching him and he's scoring, and he's making this shit look easy and he's entertaining, and you, as the offense and the defense, you just fall asleep like admiring fall silence Jordan Hayes where you're just like, let's call it the timeout. Lee Naylor was guarding him in the beginning. Paul Silas called the time out. Man, what the fuck y'all doing? And everybody's sitting there like, you know, like, damn, dude, is Jordan got sixty points? Like man, y'all just watching this dude? Like we were literally like you're watching him like.
Speaker 3: Like damn, like go ahead, like you're not gonna help?
Speaker 1: Do U? G do you?
Speaker 3: Bro?
Speaker 1: Was ill? It was ill because you know then it was like all right, fuck it, I got him and he hit me with the fane and it's like, damn, I ain't getting no help. I'm looking around everybody looking at me, like John, that was some good defense. Well, I think people trying to like as a good defense. Jordan wasn't cold on the Wizards. He was cold. I watched all gave us a fifty piece show, went to the All Star Game, almost took him to the playoffs. We had beat them in Charlotte. I think I had thirty, Mass had twenty something, you know what I mean, And so the whole you know, Jordan gotta get his bounce back. Shit like that fifty points. That was the bounce That's what this shit. Yeah, man, he came out and here like sixteen in the first quarter. I seen, I was watching it. I was there. This is all this like, I'm like, damn, he just got sixteen, Okay, shit, Damn he got twenty four at halftime. Damn he got foty in the third quarter. And you're just admiring it. No, by the time halftime come around, you're like, hey man, we can't let this move. Fucker get this guy.
Speaker 3: He's a lot older than this guy's like like, bro, you're doing everything.
Speaker 1: It's over. You're doing everything to stop him now it's ober. He heard him rip Hamilton Jaheedi White.
Speaker 2: It's like the most random like assortment of players on the Wizards.
Speaker 1: Man. It was like it's like he coming out of the game and it's like almost like you know, people just getting their flow getting shot and shit. Actually not like, man, this motherfucker got twenty four, Like and you playing hard, you know what I mean, But it's still like the intensity of the game ain't picked up yet. Wow. And by the time you your intensity level pick up, like.
Speaker 2: He laughing at you at that point, What about the most underrated guy that you played against, Because there's a lot of players who don't get.
Speaker 1: Brandon Roy, Nick van Axell, Jason Terry uh uh, Damon Stottlemeyer, Michael Redd, Michael Red.
Speaker 2: When he was on the Bucks, Darren Williams Yes shot out to d will Jared Jack, assistant coach for the Suns. Well, I don't know if he is anymore, because you know.
Speaker 1: I just think that dude was highly underrated. I think he's going to Detroit. I think Tony Parker, I mean, Hall of Famer. But like you don't talk, we don't talk enough. We talked more about Chris Paul than we do Tony Parker and Parker got the rings. To me, Parker top five point guard all time. Wow. I mean if you look at it, you know where he sit. You got him above CP all time, have to you got four titles. That's fair. I mean you know what I mean. Like if you if you're putting it like, you know, you got stock Thing, you got Magic, you got Isaiah, you got Steph stephte Steph is, Yeah, you got Steph.
Speaker 2: I think you got Tony Parker. I put c P in the in that five spot. I think I just think Parker was blessed to play in that Spurs system.
Speaker 1: I think if you put Chris if you can't say that, they wouldn't have won. If you put Chris on the Spurs, they wouldn't one. You don't think so, m M Nope, because Chris Paul play a different style. Like people, people don't appreciate Tony Parker.
Speaker 2: I agree that as a fan who had ripped out, you hate him, you hate him, had ripped out by the But I.
Speaker 1: Would say he's probably the most underrated person that people don't talk about. Yeah. I even think somehow Tim Duncan is like, don't Yeah for sure. I just hate watched him. Yeah, like you people, no emotion when he scored. I'm like, dude, can you can you get it together?
Speaker 2: He's just nonchalantly cooking us, sending us home every fucking playoffs.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Anyway, well, look, anything going on?
Speaker 2: Can you kind of give us a quick idea on what's going on the music side here?
Speaker 1: Bart oat Mill, you know down lo I am not I am at Bart Oatmeal, at Bart dot Oatmeal. You know. I've been working with some dope Uh producers, Mike and Keys shout out big shout out to Mike and Keys apaying the album. I got my young producers and the Sean and Ai with me. Uh got some stuff from no Id. Shout to no Idea. He's a legend, you know what I mean? And Uh I got a song with g Perico, Dom Kennedy, j Stone just keeping it. You know. Glasses, Damar Glasses is a legend. That's my dog. He was around Black Wall Street days, early Black Wall Street days. So I got a joint with mister fave Big Rich from the Bay Big Riches. He's man. Yeah, yeah, I brought Big Rich out of retirement. He's like man, You're gonna bring me out of retirement. So I just, uh ship like that. Man. I got a cool little album that's out right now, my brother the Big Scott and Slim Cutters La to La, and then I got my little Bartomill get a ball one that's on iTunes, and then I'm on shout out to Jay Worthy Rock Marciano. I'm on that project. I got two joints on that project. Jay Worthy shit though, yeah, hell yeah, he was like top three on the hip hop so much amazing. Just getting the ship off albums for sure. Yeah, getting the ship off. We got a tape coming together. Oh ship, we got a tape coming together. Uh who else? I gotta working on a tape with somebody else. We just said it was going to do a tape together. I know, me and g Perico got a tape coming out. Yeah we got we got some folks songs like that, but I'm looking to drop mine probably in the June.
Speaker 2: Did game ever try to like sign you to Black Wall Street back in the day, because everybody was on Black Wall Street.
Speaker 1: I was kind of like the executive, you know, I was kind of like the executive of black was on there. Everybody sat out the Jews. Uh Malone was Malone on what was his name? Life Life?
Speaker 2: That life was there, Black Wall Street was peaceful Ben Yeah, yeah, it.
Speaker 1: Was Illis Yeah man ship the blast was. He was also on Death Roast was on Death ro and Black Walls Street. That's so wild, man. I appreciate your time. Man, thank you. Bro. I definitely I need to come to your spot. You gotta come through. Game three were cracking. We got to watch party Denver, Miami. So we got a Jimmy Butler gifting sweet for Game three and four. Come get some Jimmy Butler swag.
Speaker 3: Really, why not a Jokic gifting sweep because you know we're rocking with Jimmy Butler. That's the brand that I'm a huge when they pay, when they pay for the studio, and you know Nike, if somebody pay for the studio, we have a Joker's sweet.
Speaker 1: I hate watch Jokic. You're crazy.
Speaker 2: I hate, I hate, I hate watching him. It's over no, no, no, Like he's so good. He's so good that like I like Phoenix Suns when I'm a I'm a basketball fan, so I love I love to watch him. Yeah, but it's like it's almost like I'm it's like.
Speaker 1: A hate watch. You like hating. Yeah, No, I can't hate on Jokic. I just can't do it.
Speaker 3: It's like you hate the fact that he's so good and he's shaped like me, and he's just like.
Speaker 1: So gifted.
Speaker 2: I'm just like this giant round mound of caucassidy is just out here cooking everybody for sure.
Speaker 1: Nothing he's got scraped up. He's bleeding out of both arms like bruising and ship. What the fuck? Hey, dude, he I'm so glad that they are on the national stage. Me too, because remember he is the back to back the MVP of the league, could easily be three times three times m v P. And I'm so glad he's on this stage now everybody. Now, everybody can shut up. Everyone's talking on Twitter. I'm like, you guys don't even know. You never you've never basketball. Yeah, you just see it. You see and reels and ship and you see stats and think like, oh, it ain't real. No, this dude is like he is. He is all time with his ship, all time. He has transcended with his ship, you know what I mean. So it's just shout out to him. Man, you know, shout out to Jimmy Buck too, because Jimmy Butler is another one that I say is underrated. You know what I mean. It's like you don't know, you don't like. It's not like, oh, there's like a style, you know what I mean, like Jimmy Butler coming to win and get.
Speaker 2: Out the mund I know I keep saying last thing, but promise you this is the last thing.
Speaker 1: I'm a Sons fan.
Speaker 2: I just want to get your quick take on the Sons, Katie Booker and our Frank Vogel coaching higher.
Speaker 1: What do you think? Man? Good? Higher? Bad? Higher? I like Frank Vogel Man. I liked him. You know.
Speaker 2: I'm always stay all over as as assistant. Kept Kevin Young on as as assistant. So we have the highest paid assistant staff. So well it doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: That don't mean shit.
Speaker 2: Do you think listen, do you think we have a chance to get a ring with those two with those two guys?
Speaker 1: No? No, all right, well that's how we're gonna end up interview. I mean, you know, I love the Sons. I think that they have the talent. They're gonna trade Ayton and then Chris Paul is gonna go somewhere else. If they change Chris Paul and Ayton. It depends on what they get. But I don't think that that team right there, that team is Ayton. Is. The thing is they don't Phoenix, don't play no defense, Frank when you think of when you think about yeah, so if they start playing some defense, yeah, they may be all right there.
Speaker 2: It is all right, well, all right, Baron Davis, get the ball there it is.
Speaker 1: Appreciate your brother appreciate it, Yes, sir, I got it. He appreciate. Y'all watching another interview brought to you by our good folks at Hard Dean.
Speaker 2: Now listen, y'all, when you're in Las Vegas, you get in that fucking uber, you land at the airport, hit that taxi, tell them to take you to Hard Dean, the number one premium cannabis dispensary in the fucking world.
Speaker 1: Y'all. I'm telling you.
Speaker 2: You walk in, they treat you like a king or a queen or whatever you're into. All right, they got the craziest selection to premium cannabis you'll see period anywhere. Let alone in Las Vegas, but just anywhere, all right. Not only can you go get the Tree. You will get the best experience, the best customer service, the best bud tenders. You walk into Hard Dean and that shit just smells amazing. They got their own fucking scent. Literally, you get into my car, I got a bottle of it. My car smells like hard Dean because it's just the best fucking place.
Speaker 1: Go follow them online.
Speaker 2: Hardan Underscore Las Vegas. Hardan Underscore Las Vegas. Go to their website, Hardeanlas Vegas dot com.
Speaker 1: All right, when you go, you're.
Speaker 2: In Vegas, you pull up, tell them I sent you. They're gonna take care of you the right way.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: Look they got these things in there, man, these Moon Rock pre rolls that I just had, that just absolutely melted my face off. Shout out to hard Dean. All right, you gotta go fuck with Hardan man, Hardean Underscore, Lost Vegas. Thank y'all, man, I love these guys. They're like family to us. And hey, we're gonna drop another interview soon. If you're watching this, you're at the end of the interview. Though, much love