Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio. Yeah, I made it to a Thursday. It's our one Dan and the Dan Edge Dan Patrick Show. And look who's back from jury duty? Marvin? Yeah, did you get picked? I did not? Okay. Isn't it weird that there's certain things that you don't want to do, but then when you don't get asked to do them, you're like, wait, why didn't I get invited to the party that I didn't want to go to? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Mark, it was so uneventful. I didn't even get questioned at all. I just sat in the room and they called two groups of people and we sat there for another three hours, and the lady came back and was like, all right, guys, you're all excuse seeven three years Like, oh, all right.
Speaker 1: Okay, but but you did your community service there. You did your duty. It's to your country, your civic duty.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, congratulations, Oh thanks, We're all proud of you.
Speaker 3: Yes, Baldy, Marve would have been great on the Jury's likable, he's easy to talk to. He seems pretty level headed from what I know about him. You would have been perfect on the jury, right, Marvel would have done great.
Speaker 1: But are you now bothered that you weren't picked to be on the jury a little bit?
Speaker 2: Not even that I wasn't even questioned, not even picked, because I'm not sure if I wanted to be picked, because you know what would have happened. I would have said, oh my goodness, Herman threw had no hitter that had been perfect for play the day. I would have had the Spanish call ready. It would have been stuff like that, Oh okay. Because I'm dedicated to the job.
Speaker 1: I still think if you would have worn one of our T shirts that there's that would have guaranteed you never would have been If you said I can feel it in my plums, or you did the huh question mark T shirt that we have, I thought that that would probably eliminate you in three years. I'm wearing it, okay, all right? Eight seven seven three DP show email address dpat dan Patrick dot com, Twitter handle a DP show. It was the wrong guy at the wrong time, in the wrong place. It was Domingo Herman who threw a perfect game. He's the wrong guy. That's the guy who was suspended a couple of years ago for domestic violence. Eighty one games. He also suspended earlier this year for the sticky stuff. But he threw a perfect game. He threw it late last night. East Coast couldn't even take advantage of this if you're a Yankee fan in the wrong place. It was against the Oakland A's in Oakland. Other than that, he's in the history books. Twenty four pitchers who have thrown a perfect game. Here's your over under today. Over under the number of pitchers who have thrown a perfect game who are in the Hall of Fame. I'm gonna set the over under at five and a half. Todd, you want to go over under five and a half of the twenty four pitchers, how many are.
Speaker 4: Hall of fam I'm feeling that's going to be an under.
Speaker 1: Under, all right, see no' connor uh, I'm gonna say under two, all right, Marvin under all right, Paulie.
Speaker 3: I'm leaning under. It seems more like a good picture can get lucky one night.
Speaker 1: Well, I think there's luck that goes into having a perfect game. There has to be skill, obviously, but there has to be luck as well. Eight of the twenty four pitchers who have thrown a perfect gamer in the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 5: Who cow stall of a day, Stall of a day, Statuta day, scant out a day. This is the stat of the day.
Speaker 1: Melissa etheridg's doing the honor stat of the Day. Brought to you by Penning the America the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. By the way, if you're watching on Peacock, thank you. That's our streaming partner. Download the app. Also see good morning to our radio affiliates around the country and those chatting on chat. Row operator Tyler standing by to take your phone calls on this Thursday, eight seven seven three DP Show email address dpat Danpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at DP show. All right, here are the Hall of famers who have thrown perfect games. Young Randy Johnson, Oh yeah yeah. Jim Bunning, he became a politician in Kentucky after he retired, Catfish Hunter, Roy Halladay, Sandy Kofax, John Ward, Addie Joss. Those are old guys. But those are your Hall of Fame pitchers who have thrown perfect games. Now you have other pitchers in there who are really good. Kenny Rodgers won two hundred games, Mark Burley won two hundred games, David Wells won two hundred and thirty nine games, Dennis Martinez two hundred and forty five games. Felix Hernandez was a great pitcher. David Cone won one hundred and ninety four games, Tom Browning in there, Don Larson he had a losing record eighty one and ninety one, but he had the perfect game in the World Series, and Dallas Braden in there. I remember Philip Humber. Wasn't he with White Sox when he threw a perfect game? Might have been in the afternoon. I remember having him on the show. He won sixteen games in his career, so one out of every sixteen games he pitched that he had a decision he threw, or that he won he threw a perfect game. He only threw one perfect game, but one out of every sixteen.
Speaker 3: Yes, two things stand about the out about this list. Three of the people had perfect games. We had on the show the next day. Randy Johnson, he insisted with the Diamondbacks did he come on with his catcher Robbie Hammock. He would only come on because of that. We had Roy Halliday on after he had his, and we had Humber on after he had his. That's pretty wild. If you look at this list, you sent around it looks like it's more skilled than luck, because the bottom seven or eight guys are decent pitchers, but the first two thirds are really good or really great pitchers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you have Charlie Robertson, Lee Richmond, Matt Kain, Mike Witt, Dallas Brayden. These are average pitchers. There's some below average. There is luck. You know, it's skilled to get to the major leagues. We know that it's skilled to throw a no hitter. It's luck with a perfect game because now you really rely on everybody else. If the picture could have great stuff, you ground it the third and all of a sudden he boots it or he short hops it. Then all of a sudden, there's no perfect game there, but the skill to be able to put yourself in a position for a perfect game. You need a little bit of luck there. And probably had a couple of calls last night where when his way, I don't know what the umpire feels like. When does he feel like you know I'm part of history here? Or do I allow a little bit more leeway here on a call? I don't know if it enters your psyche. I don't know consciously, subconsciously, if you're like, God, I don't want to be the reason why he loses a perfect game. Yes, Tom, it would.
Speaker 6: Totally affect me. If it's late in the game and he's got a perfect game and it's really a borderline call, I would probably give him the strike.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't do that.
Speaker 3: Can you run a tight shift in?
Speaker 1: Yes? I do. You know? You can't have an Eric greg strike zone where you're like, uh, wait, that was four feet outside. Look good to me. Come on, let's go get back here and there in the battersbox, Addie Joss recorded a perfect game and he needed just seventy four pitches.
Speaker 3: That's ridiculous, thank you, Todd.
Speaker 1: So seventy four pitches for the perfect game? Yes, yes, marvh you don't want to be Jim Joyce. No, you don't. You don't want to have somebody go oh Jim Joyce and then people go, oh, yeah, didn't he cost the Tiger pitcher a perfect game with that bad call?
Speaker 7: That was one of the worst, Like two or three days I can remember, just as like the humanity of it watching Jim Joyce and then you know that next game they had him come out and they did like a whole thing and.
Speaker 1: Yes he was sobbing. Okay, but isn't it interesting we remember the umpire? Do we remember the pitcher? Man?
Speaker 7: I can see his face. I could see that smile as soon as he says safe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah pulling.
Speaker 3: June second, twenty ten, Joyce made a incorrect call at first base umpire which cost Armando Galarraga of the Detroit Tigers. Is perfect game, but we remember.
Speaker 1: And then they brought them together like this photo op, like, hey, come on, guys, get together, and you know, forgive the umpire here. He cost you a perfect game. And it's not one of those calls where you go, man, you know it could have gone either way. It's like, oh no, no, that's terrible. Yes.
Speaker 6: Can you imagine those? It like one, two outs in the ninth inning and it's a full count and there's a pitch right around the corner and you actually call it ball four when it.
Speaker 3: Was just close enough.
Speaker 6: How do you not wink at that and punch the guy out and call it well?
Speaker 1: Because at what point do you say, all right, now, I can change what my strike zone is. What's the context here? If it's a perfect game, do you do it? If it's a no hitter. Do you do it? Like, if it's close, then yeah, make the call, you know, And I would. I would even say that if I was the umpire and let's say there was, you know, a final out, I'd say, hey, you know, I'm calling it just like it's any other inning, any other day. I'm just letting you know. I'd let him know. There's no leniency here. But I'm not going to go out of my way to go you know what. He's Uh, he's out and you're like, wait, he was saved by five feet. No, he's out. Perfect game. Everybody celebrate.
Speaker 3: And imagine if.
Speaker 6: It's a home game like in Philly or Boston or Yankee Stadium too out to the ninth, perfect game and you call that ball.
Speaker 1: For let's play guest. The attendance last night in Oakland.
Speaker 5: But.
Speaker 3: I have a screencap. I'm counting heads.
Speaker 1: Oh, you're counting the people who are there. We have it, so okay, all right, give me an over under Pauline.
Speaker 3: I'm going to play closest to the hole. I'm going to really test you guys close as a whole reported attendance, this is.
Speaker 1: The team with the worst attendance in baseball. Let's play guess the number of people who were there last night for the Perfect Game Todd.
Speaker 3: Because the Yankees were in town. I'm gonna go eight six, seven to two.
Speaker 1: It did sound like there was an actual crowd there last night. I actually, here's the here's the final call. Is this the Spanish version of the Perfect Game?
Speaker 3: Last night?
Speaker 1: Had a man different thing? Lens swings a little.
Speaker 8: Donald Donald benfects, you don't be ahead man, Sam Tyler, my funnies that public all.
Speaker 4: Ghana and Settle.
Speaker 8: This isn't the Dons saddle Settle Settle benficts you bedfect do.
Speaker 1: Don't be the bedfect doll. That's courtesy of W A. D O. Now, it sounds like there's a crowd. There must have been a lot of Yankee fans in town. All right, Todd has his number seating over or oh no, you have to pick the number, no over under.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna.
Speaker 1: Go.
Speaker 4: Actually, I'm gonna go ten five.
Speaker 1: Ten five, yeah, ten five touchdown. Marvin.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say it was a packed house for Oakland, gonna say fifteen six.
Speaker 1: Wow, crazy, I'm gonna go nine eight seven six, Oh, this is so good, so nervous.
Speaker 3: And air quotes reported attendants of twelve and seventy nine.
Speaker 1: Okay, wawser, that's a big crowd. Theres travel yeah.
Speaker 3: Pret beer knight or something.
Speaker 1: Why I wondered what the Commissioner Baseball thought of that crowd? Too soon, too soon for the Yeah, yeah, so once out of that context anyway, So once again, I know, I don't know what context that you could have put that in where it didn't sound like a slight to the Oakland A's Oh yeah, that's a nice little average crowd for any baseball team.
Speaker 3: That's how many parking attendants we have in the Bronx.
Speaker 1: So wrong guy at the wrong time of the night and against the wrong team.
Speaker 3: We can bring that any for that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know. Congratulations on your perfect game. Domingo Herman not a you know it just got suspended ten games for the sticky stuff. His last start gave up eight er and runs. I don't know. Maybe we could find out from our research department the worst performance leading up to a perfect game. We'll see if our research guy, John Tuvy can help us with that.
Speaker 3: That was a whole plan for Herman. He was loll into a fall sense of security with an eight run outing.
Speaker 1: Lest Discover credit cards do something pretty awesome. At the end of your first year, the automatically double all the cash back you've earned. So that's trips and restaurants all double. See terms and check it out for yourself. Discover dot com slash match Pole question today, Seaton, what do we have? Well, Dan, we already put up there is a perfect game more skill or luck, So we'll run with that for a little bit. The Toddler sent over a couple of his snarky whole question actual statements though, how about we I know, I know Todd always gives you what he really feels about a topic. Yeah, see, I.
Speaker 7: Don't mind that as a vehicle to Todd's insights.
Speaker 4: You know, if he's going to ask it as a.
Speaker 7: Question and the question is actually giving you his thoughts on how he feels about it, I think it's I think it's all right.
Speaker 6: There's so many yes or no pole questions. I tend to maybe go a little too far with the elaboration of the choices, but it's all good fun.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you, Tod.
Speaker 1: We look forward to that eight seven seven to three DP show Tyler standing by to take your phone calls. The NHL draft last night. Connor Bedard seventeen years of age, and he looks like he's seventeen years of age. He's going to the Blackhawks. That was about it. I think people tuned in to go, all right, let me see what the kid looks like. And there he is. And now I watched probably the first forty minutes of it, and they were trying to make it a bigger thing than what it was. Here's a problem. You can't invite the entire team on stage, the entire front office. Yeah, you probably had the Secretary to the President who was up there. It's like fifteen people up there with a photo op. Keep it moving, let's go. I don't need photo ops up there. Take a photo op. When it comes to your town, like.
Speaker 3: A shift change, they should run up like it just go right off.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, somebody should have been hitting their stick on the ice, you know, like come on, let's go, let's go, let's go, get off the ice. But Connor Madard is going to the Blackhawks. The Mets owner Steve Cohen addressed the fans. He was with the media yesterday. We'll talk about that as well. And sources close to sources have the official height of Victor Wmbayama. Okay, are you more interested in how tall he is or how much he weighs? Becau he talks about he's going to at the bulka. Nobody says he's got to get taller or he's too tall. It's he's gonna at to bulka.
Speaker 4: Got to fill out?
Speaker 1: Yeah, no he doesn't. He's okay too. Do you have the No, I don't have a You don't have no, no, no, no, there's a source that has how tall he is, so they haven't made it official. And now what they're doing, they're measuring you without shoes on to get your official height. We'll talk about that coming up. I did not know that that, and nobody plays barefoot, but I guess they're You know you have lifts? Are there certain shoes that make you a half inch tall? And who cares?
Speaker 4: You might have an insol in one for the comfort?
Speaker 1: Remember Tom Cruise reportedly had some lifts in his shoes make him a little bit. Sources close to me tell me, yeah, he saved the movie industry. I'm looking forward to. Okay, here's another topic that came up earlier. Do you go see the Barbie movie? Yeah? Do you go Marvin. Did you know there's a Barbie movie? I did? Okay, Ryan Gosling, Yep, Margot, rob Margot, Robbie.
Speaker 7: Yes, I gotta admit when I see like thep save it, Okay, yes, save it.
Speaker 1: I got to take a break here. I mean, these are all important questions that we're going to try to answer for you Barbie movie today. Let's take a break. We're just getting started here. We're back after this in the Dan Patrick Show. Full Sale University. Do you want to do this for a living? And if you do, you can get your degree in sportscasting, not broadcasting, not communications, sportscasting at Full Sale University, earn your bachelor's degree in about half the time, a short as twenty months, and you could earn that degree online or on Full Sales Campus, beautiful campus in Orlando, Florida. What you get, and I guarantee, is hands on practical experience and when you graduate, we are going to make you for a job. We've got grads working all over the country. We're in year five of the Dan Patrick School of Sportscasting and we have great people there. We have the faculty that has been working in the business fifteen twenty twenty five years my longtime producer at ESPN, Gus Ramsey. He heads up the program there in Orlando, Florida. Learn more about the Danpatrick School to sportscasting go to Fullsale dot edu slash Danpatrick. Fullsale dot edu slash Danpatrick and we look forward to hearing from you. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern sixty nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock app. Little Barbie Girl there. Okay. This program brought to you by the great folks at Mercedes Benz. They make electric extraordinary vehicles, all electric electric, It's electric. Feeling is all Mercedes. The choice is all yours. Learn more at MDUSA dot com. Ya Seton was talking to some of the dan Nets and I walked by and he's like, I don't know, I said about and he goes, I don't know if I'm gonna go see the Barbie movie or not. And I go, okay, well, what's the debate. Why wouldn't you or why would you?
Speaker 7: Uh No, it's not that I wouldn't go see that if I'm going to go see the Barbie movie or not. I don't even understand what it is, Okay, I don't even understand what the concept is behind it or how like.
Speaker 1: I think it's just Barbie for what's Barbie?
Speaker 7: Why did anyone agree to do this? Why did anyone sign on for this?
Speaker 1: Like for America? For America, it's just Barbie and Ken come to life, that's all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Paul, it's the very hot couple of Margot, Robbie and Ryan Gosling, which they're meant to play these roles, they're destined for it. I saw the full trailer for this. I think with this movie is like a snarky version of Barbie come to Life. There's a lot of like poking fun jokes at it. It might be one of those movies that is both funny and snarky in plays to adults and benign enough that kids can go watch it. Do you remember the Simpsons movie ten years ago? Yeah, it was funny and it was like funny for adults, the comedy, but you could take a nine year old to it. I think it plays for both.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I always thought that that was part of the genius of The Simpsons that there was different levels of humor, and if you didn't get certain levels, it's not like you felt like, you know, I'm lost in this episode. It was they had an ability to appeal to a variety of audiences there.
Speaker 7: Yeh see, I just want to say, on behalf of the Simpsons, that is an insult to compare it that way, one of the greatest TV franchises of all time, compared to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm going to be in an episode coming up here in the fall.
Speaker 4: I just on behalf of the Simpsons, just let you.
Speaker 1: Know, you're right. They probably wouldn't take that as a compliment if I all of a sudden it got back to the writing staff or some of the aracter there.
Speaker 7: Now, granted, I know I'm not the target audience for this movie, so I get that.
Speaker 1: But do we have Ryan Gosling on or Margot Robbie on talk about that? No, Todd, I'm not even going to go with the hotter one. Yeah, Ryan Gosling, of course, Ryan gosl Yeah, clearly got her. Yes, Yeah, I'm gonna miss this one. I'm not going to go to the theater to see the Barbie movie.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to do that. If you had kids that were like nine, ten, eleven they said, Dad, let's go.
Speaker 1: Now, because I think I would say, you know, why don't you talk to your mom now she said, hey, I can't do it. Would you take them? Then I would go and probably make sure they had good seats, and then I would go and see if there's another movie that I could do. Have you ever done that? Have you ever dropped the kids off? And then all of a sudden you're like, hey, you okay, got your popcorn, got your drink? Here, got your snow caps. I'm gonna go across the way, maybe sneak a peek at this movie.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 3: We were in mill of Nowhere, Vermont rainy Day and the kids want to see boss Baby too, which I don't know what that is, but they seem very excited about it. About four years ago, I walk across the hall and I'm like, I wonder if there's anything else here. I stumble into the movie get Out by Jordan Peele. Oh, and there's eight people in the theater and it's fantastic.
Speaker 1: How good is that?
Speaker 3: Quite a different experience than Boss Byby.
Speaker 1: By the way, Tom Cruise height five seven mm? Yeah, five seven?
Speaker 4: Is that with shoes? I don't know, there's that barefoot.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say that's with shoes. Yeah, now I I let's see. Did I stand next to Tom Cruise? He was seated when I was shooting a movie with his then wife Katie Holmes, and maybe he didn't want to get up because he realized that I'm pretty imposing at you know, six three and uh, it'd be an awkward photo op because Katie's Katie is like maybe five eight five nine. You know she's tall. But yeah, I Tom got him listed at five to seven. Victor, according to a source, is seven foot three and a half. So the local newspaper there said that. He said, according to a source, the team hasn't even given an official height. I want to know weight more than I do height. I know he's just tall. I also know he's skinny. You can be tall. I don't think that's going to be a detriment to him. Seven to three and a half. Do you round up? If you're Victor won Bayama, do you want to be seven four? Now keep this in mind. He was seven three, seven three and a half seven four, and then seven to five These are all the listings that he's had hadn't played a game yet. We don't know how tall he is. He's tall enough, but at seven three and a half, Like, at what point do you say, God, I'd give anything to be I'd round up and be seven to four like Seaton if I said I could give you, I can make his six foot tall.
Speaker 7: That okay, So one inch for me is massive in either direction. Okay, that's massive. Okay, So you're either six foot or you're.
Speaker 1: Five to ten.
Speaker 7: I'm either like six foot and a half or I'm five ten and a half.
Speaker 4: Okay, that is just the drastic swing for me mentally.
Speaker 1: Okay, I rounded up. I rounded up, oh yeah, to six three.
Speaker 4: At one point, I was like five eleven and three quarters. I would say, so that's pretty close to six foot.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, pull.
Speaker 3: I think I'm victor. I'm rounding up to seven four because he's kind of in his own category, isn't porzingis listed at seven three. I think he's seven three. So now you're that would make you the guy the tallest guy playing basketball. And also you're closer to seven and a half feet than you are to seven feet.
Speaker 1: I think you get to that point that it's okay. You know, Bill Walton was listed at six eleven for most of his career, certainly at UCLA, because he thought if you were a seven footer, you were viewed as a freak. And Bill always wanted to be listed at six eleven. Now he's probably seven to two. Having stood next to Bill, he's probably at least seven to or at least he was, and I think that he he didn't want to be a seven footer. He was six ' eleven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Mark, Kevin Garnett is also in the same category, like always six eleven saw me in person, like seven to one. Yeah, the people that listed at six eleven, he was easily noticeably taller.
Speaker 1: Okay, but why are they measuring you without your shoes on? Because you're playing with your shoes on. That's how tall you are when you're playing. Yeah, pulling.
Speaker 3: Okay, here's an example. Kevin Durant when he came in the league was listed many by many places as seven foot and it made his or a bigger. A seven footer can handle the ball like that. A seven footer has that kind of range. It's easy to say you wouldn't say a six eleven er or a six to tenor right, I think it added to durance or around him. Really, I really believe that. Years later, remember that they changed the policy in twenty nineteen and they measured everybody in bare feet the official NBA. But why don't know, don't I can find a bunch of articles, but they don't have a reason. They want a true height, you know. And Kevin Durant measured six ' nine and a half, which they rounded up to six ten. But now it takes away from him.
Speaker 1: Well, I think you're right, you know, we stumbled onto something that when you say you don't see many seven footers doing that, like you see a lot of six niners doing it or six tenors. And I don't see a lot of seven footers handling the ball the way he does. Yeah, I like that. If I'm Kevin Durant, Yeah, I'm seven feet yes, yes, Mark.
Speaker 2: Yes, seven foot two guard is what he's been referred to before. That sounds way better. He's a six nine two guard. Are we seeing a bunch of six ' nine guys do that? Not a seven footer?
Speaker 6: Though?
Speaker 1: Like Magic? I don't know how tall Magic was, but it felt like he was. He became six ' nine. I don't know if he was six nine, but it became that he's six ' nine, which added to the aura of, oh my god, you don't see any six nine guys handling the ball like that out on the break.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Paul, would you guys go the opposite way too, if you were sure, would you cheat up or cheap down? Because like Allen Iverson was listed at six foot one sixty five everything I'd find Georgetown. But if if he would have been measured officially, let's say he was officially five to eleven, doesn't make what he was doing dunking on folks more spectacular. He's under six feet and he's doing that to people. Yeah, he's not even six feet.
Speaker 1: I think if you're shorter and you could jump, then you make yourself a little bit shorter because then it's like.
Speaker 3: Damn, look at that guy.
Speaker 1: That guy can dunk. He's six to two, he can get up all of a sudden, you're six y three and it's not as impressive. Yeah.
Speaker 4: See, but Spudweb should have been like, I'm actually five four.
Speaker 1: Yeah he could have. Yeah, he should have went muggsy bogues on us. But even five seven, like you get to that point where you're as tall as Tom Cruise and you're winning a slam dunk contest. That's pretty impressive. There's no way we're getting Tom Cruise on to talk about mission impossible.
Speaker 6: I did get a note the other day from MS Pubblo System.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that will not be possible. Okay, so this is our mission impossible, that we will not get Tom Cruise on the show. We had h one time, yes, yes, see.
Speaker 7: The problem is, though, is that Tom Cruise always makes the mission possible because he wins at the end, whereas we're never getting him on.
Speaker 4: It truly is mission impossible.
Speaker 1: Yes, his isn't mission impossible. It is possible. It's it's like mission likely is what they should mission unlikely. Yeah, but it always happens. He always, you know, at the end of the day, he saves everybody and gets the girl.
Speaker 3: Don't spoil the ending of this one.
Speaker 7: Because if the last one it was just like like the nuclear bomb went off and it was like, oh, this one wasn't mission impossible.
Speaker 3: He didn't.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, they're all dead.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: You remember a bunch of years ago we had Russell Wilson on. He said when he was going for the draft, he lied about his height, saying like, I'm over six feet, I'm six one. But once he got to the league and he made the Pro Bowl and got a ring, He's like, I'll tell everybody I'm five to eleven because now I don't care if you're a quarterback. That's a must lie situation when you're coming out of college.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because if you're five eleven, oh, he's going to get his passes, bat it down at the line of scrimmage. You know, Baker Mayfield, he's not going to be able to complete those passes. In the press, Yes, Mark.
Speaker 2: Program, height is always the best in college. Michael Beasley was listed at six ten and they measured him. They were like, oh, he's six seven. I was like, damn, they gave him three extra inches.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah. See. I tried to bulk up and get bigger in the program. But my coach, he was a stickler. He was like, no, no, Danny, well that you weigh one forty eight. I go, can I weigh like one seventy five. You know, nobody's going to be afraid of six three, one forty eight shooting guard. He treated it like it was a corner wall deposition, like, okay, you swear to tell the whole truth. Yeah, I'm six two one eight. Come get some of this. You don't want any part of this?
Speaker 3: Yes, Paul, if you could pick your height, let's say you could go back to being ten years old, knowing you know what exact height and weight would you want for yourself for the rest of your life. Six six two hundred rangy Yeah, six six a little up there now.
Speaker 1: I know, but six ' six I'm playing. I might be still playing, PAULI even at my age, and I'm not playing. I'm I could have been playing.
Speaker 3: I think six two oneive is a nice one. You're tall enough to see over a lot of folks, but no one's commenting on your head.
Speaker 1: You know what, when you walk in, women notice somebody who's six y six. Yeah, I mean they noticed me because they're like that dude's got acne. Man, he's got some uh whiteheads there that's like tall skinny. Yeah. Yeah, Like I was tall skinny, had acne, and you know other than that, and I had it all. I was drone whitehead. You know, that was my face.
Speaker 3: But Dan, you've generally been that since I've known you. About sixty three, about two hundred, right, Yeah, that's where you're tall enough to have advantages, but people don't comment on it. If you're six six, can you buy clothes at a normal store or is that the cusp?
Speaker 1: I would say, I'd say six ' five you're probably okay, sixty six you might not.
Speaker 3: That's gotta be tough.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're gonna like the way you look.
Speaker 1: I guarantee I got a shop at places like I guarantee it. The uh Yankee broadcaster David Cohman will join us coming up in the final hour of the program. He threw a perfect game against the Expos in nineteen ninety nine. Ask your dad about the Expos Jeremy in Alabama. Hi, Jeremy, good morning. What's on your mind today?
Speaker 10: Hey Dan, thank you. Todd six twenty third child. So, growing up, my dad worked at a federal prison in Talladega, and one day he came home and gave me this autographed picture and it was a Jenny McClain. Oh, yeah, as you discussed this about the troubles that this pitcher last night has had. I know they're two totally different circumstances of getting in trouble, but you know, Deanie McClain really doesn't get talked about as much as one of the best pictures of the sixties. I mean, probably right up there with Noan Ryme at the time. I mean, he was one of the first thirty game winners in the league, and I mean just I got to meet him a couple of times, and he was a really great guy in person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I had interviewed Denny before, and he was the last thirty game winner. I think he went thirty one and six. Wasn't great in the postseason. I think his teammate Mickey Lolich was better than him. But you know, the Tigers in the late sixties, Janny McLean, I know, had two really good years. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was a decent pitcher for Detroit. He went twenty and fourteen, seventeen and sixteen, nineteen sixty eight, thirty one and six, one point nine sixty RA, three hundred and thirty six innings, twenty eight complete games, both cy Young and MVP. Next year twenty four and nine, and then in the wheels completely fell off for the next four years.
Speaker 1: I don't even know what he went to prison for. I don't I mean, I was it gambling gambling losses. I just remember he was in and out of prison.
Speaker 3: Conspiracy, theft, money laundering, a mail fraud.
Speaker 1: There you go money.
Speaker 3: He was a five tool player.
Speaker 1: Okay, he could do it all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah he did. He did a nice stretch.
Speaker 1: Art Schleister remember him, Yeah, yes, Yes. Scott and Dayton, Hey Scott, what's on your mind?
Speaker 9: Good morning, Dan?
Speaker 1: How are you great? Scott? What do you have.
Speaker 9: So Being from your hometown of Dayton, Ohio, I'm sure we spent a number of times gonna need more avenue, which I'll let you discuss with the boys what that streak was. But being from Cincinnati area, with the no hitter that just happened last night, my question would be this, is that more likely in today's baseball to have two back to back no hitters like Johnny vandermir or like a Freddie Freeman who just hit his two thousand hits too, Eclipse Pete Rose's forty fifty six.
Speaker 1: Well, nobody's reaching Pete Rose because the base hit doesn't matter anymore. People. People don't care about batting average or getting base hits. That is safe pets and trying to go back to back, you know, you got to go nine innings back to back. You now, just getting a no hitter is a big deal. And you know with today's you know, baseball society that your pitch count and you know, but if you had a no hitter, your second game out after throwing a no hitter and you're in the seventh inning, you're probably gonna let that picture go. You're going to ride him as long as you know he can. But yeah, Johnny Vandermir, that was in the mid forties. I think that he had back to back no hitters, and you know, the talent wasn't as great, I think because of the war, but still that's impressive. Nobody else has done that, but back to back no hitters. I guess if you were saying, what are we going to see first? Somebody get to Pete Rose or somebody at back to back no hitters, I would lean towards back to back no hitters. Do the Yankees play the A's next week? So you know Domingo Herman when he goes back to back there. All right, let me take a break. We got our play of the day coming up next. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock app. Polly Foosco here with Tony Fosco. Yo.
Speaker 11: Of course you know us as the host of the number one rated show and all the sports talks, the Pauley and Tony Fusco Show. Now, the suits at Fox Sports Radio gave us this ad time because they wanted us to tell.
Speaker 1: You how great our show is. Why Yeah, instead of us doing.
Speaker 11: That, let's just let on millions of fans.
Speaker 1: Do the dalken ye ain't play the tape.
Speaker 9: You don't know, crap about four own this crap?
Speaker 1: Who whoa, whoa whoa.
Speaker 11: That's the wrong tape, wrong tape.
Speaker 9: Just forget that.
Speaker 11: Look, listen to the Pauling Tony Fusco Show on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 8: Oh my, God.
Speaker 1: Of the day. This is the play of the day. Check the shout and hermand they're righty deals to the plate, swung on, grab all the third.
Speaker 8: Donaldson's up with it. He throws the first to mingle. Herman has pitched.
Speaker 1: A perfect game.
Speaker 8: For the fourth time the history of the New York Yankees. Perfection attained to Mingle. Hermond has tossed the twenty fourth perfect game in Major League history.
Speaker 1: Twenty fourth perfect game, the first by a pitcher who allowed ten or more runs in his previous start. At your Play of the Day, Hottest Rookie's biggest superstars, the old time greats. The only place to collect them all Panini Trading Cards, the official trading cards of this program, for instance, classics, autograph cards, memorabili cards, rare inserts and more. Started continued collection now Panini America dot net. David Kohane, Yankee broadcaster, will join us a little bit later. On next hour, we'll talk some football with the ESPN NFL insider Dan Graziano when the mothership will stop by here in the man Cave. The Mets owner Steve Cohen addressed the media yesterday and the fans yesterday. And you know what's interesting. He spent all this money, three hundred and forty four million dollars on the payroll. But his here's his message to Mets fans. What does Steve Cullen the owners say to Steve Cullen the fan right now, Sorry about it. We're working hard. You know, I understand the disappointment and the frustration.
Speaker 3: You know, that's the beauty we have passionate fans.
Speaker 1: You're right, I mean this, They live this, Okay. What's interesting about this is the reaction of Mets fans, like, why isn't he mad? Why isn't he angry? Why isn't he firing somebody? We instead of saying, you know what he's saying, patients, I don't want to overreact here, which is the smart approach here, instead of saying Buck Show Walter, I'm gonna fire you, I'm gonna trade Schureser Verlander, I'm getting rid of it. I mean, this is what George Steinbrenner did. And George Steinbrenner was great and bad for the Yankees that he cared so much, and sometimes he cared too much. You have to be a good businessman. Don't be a fan, be a businessman. And that's what Steve Cohen is doing. Now. We could make we could have a discussion about the decisions he's made and brought in some old pictures that are making a lot of money. But as a fan, you love when your owner spends now, is he spent more than he should have? Probably?
Speaker 5: Have?
Speaker 1: They been a big disappointment slash embarrassment. Yes, but he didn't act the way that I think people thought he was going to. Oh boy, he's got a message for the fans. No, he was composed. I thought, oh, Mets fans aren't going to like this. They're going to want somebody to pay the price. Here. All right, we'll get to more phone calls coming up here. Sean in Cincinnati, Hey Sean, what's on your mind?
Speaker 12: Hey Dan? First time, long time, six foot one, seventy's hard hard?
Speaker 10: Hey me?
Speaker 12: My wife score tickets to the Taylor Swift concert and apparently you have to dress up and trade bracelets, all this curly stuff, and it's kind of putting my man card in question. My question to you is do I go ahead and do it?
Speaker 1: Yes? Once in a yes yes. If you're not all in, then don't go shown.
Speaker 12: Okay. Then my second question is tell me some stories where your Man card you had to put away suspense to do something like this, and I'll.
Speaker 1: Hang up the LiH When did I put my Man card in my wallet?
Speaker 3: Hmm?
Speaker 1: Well, hello, I went to Britney Spears by myself in Los Angeles, and that might have been pressing my luck my Man card there, But yeah, I went to see Britney Spears, and.
Speaker 3: I get your card back after that.
Speaker 1: I did. Yeah, it took a while, it took a while to get my Man card back, But yeah, I went to see Britney Spears in Los Angeles and I went by myself.
Speaker 4: Any kind of restraining orders, no.
Speaker 1: No, no, I had a great time. I wanted to be a to go and see her. Now, sometimes you'll you'll say, oh, I'd never go see that person, And I thought, you know what, I'm in Los Angeles, I can get a ticket. I'm gonna go see her. And she was she great, was great. I mean I enjoyed the performance. Would I go again? No, But if you said I could go see Adele, Hell, yes, I'm going to a dell Or or Share or you know, there's a lot of artists where I go. You know, I probably wouldn't do that too many times, but I would try it once.
Speaker 2: Yes, Mark, are you going to any shows when we're in Vegas for.
Speaker 1: The Super Bowl? Yeah, yeah, if I can. I mean, if I could go see Adele, I'd go see Adele you might be able to see Britney again. No, no, IRIS saw her once. No, I was it you don't want to see I saw her twenty twenty years ago. Yeah, yeah, yeah, and it was she had like, you know, eight or nine costume changes. It was great, a great time.
Speaker 3: How many costume changes did you have?
Speaker 1: I only had one. You know, they wouldn't let me change. I kept thinking, when she's changing, I'm going to change my outfit too. Would I go to the Barbie movie? Yes? I would. If my daughters or one of my daughters said, do you want to go, then I would go. I wouldn't go by myself, but I would go. If my daughter said, would you go see the Barbie movie? I said, yeah, sure, I'll go.
Speaker 3: Do that.
Speaker 1: By the way, my youngest daughter once did a home movie and it was called Cheating Ken, and she did a she did a whole home movie on Ken, Cheating on Barbie, and that he got kicked out of the Barbie Playhouse. Like it was really elaborate, and she was really young. And my wife was like, have you seen what your daughter did?
Speaker 3: Hear and I go no.
Speaker 1: All of a sudden, she became my daughter. It's like she's your daughter too. But she did this elaborate video that Barbie caught Ken cheating with Midge and kicked him out of the house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, IMRV from the same people that brought you jazz club.
Speaker 1: Yeah oh yeah, yeah she didn't. My daughter's started a jazz club in high school. But didn't want to have a jazz club. She just wanted to put up flyers that said there's a jazz club. Do you like hot coffee? Do you like cool jazz? You know? The meeting was from two twenty to two thirty every day.
Speaker 3: You really want to dive in for this ten minutes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but she did. She Oh my god, she pulls some strings. Now she does.
Speaker 2: There's one kid that really loves jazz, like, oh I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, oh okay, And you wonder why she got four birthdays canceled Squealily Beat Hour two coming up, more phone calls. Dan Graziano d gros will join us. Also, David Cohane will join us in a little more than an hour from now, one hour in the books on this Thursday. We're back after this