Speaker 1: We're gonna need a bigger boat. It's one more thing. I'm one more thing. That is a quote from the movie Jaws, back when we used to make American movies, which we'll start making again now with a new one hundred percent tariff on foreign films, make fake sharks great again.
Speaker 2: That's probably in your pantheon of like your top, if not ten, top twenty all time recognizable movie quotes, isn't it true, gonna need a bigger boat. Yeah, yeah, Anyway, I thought this was at least mildly interesting. Michael is just back from a trip to the shore, correct, Michael, that is correct. Yeah, yeah, the Mighty Pacific where the Great White haunts the depths and choose on seals, et cetera.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The wife and I just wanted to escape, and we wanted to get into nature. So that's what we do. We go out to the ocean and just sit there on the coast.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: That's fantastic. Yep.
Speaker 2: Do you ever do any tide pooling.
Speaker 3: I've done that once or twice, but generally I just, you know, just sit there and just relax, close the eyes.
Speaker 1: My youngest son especially loves the whole pide pooling thing. Oh is that right? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Judy and I we both love it. We've for years and years and years since we first got married. Anytime, we're especially at the Pacific Ocean because it's much rockier than the Atlantic, which mostly just sand, which is great. I feel like beaches and the water is warmer, but the rocky inlets and stuff of the Pacific are just dream come true. If you're into tide pulling. The number of fascinating little creatures you can observe. If you're into that sort of thing, it's really cool.
Speaker 1: So read Steinbeck's Cannery Road to learn more.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, I don't. I think I read that in high school.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, another one of those books you should read when you're older.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, you're like, Okay, he's angsty and wants that they have a different life. There's something I don't know. Can we go chase girls and try to get beer?
Speaker 1: Anyway?
Speaker 2: So, speaking of the sea shore and sharks, is there any phenomenon in human life that gets more attention relative to its actual significance than shark attacks? Winning the lottery?
Speaker 1: Maybe? I mean, like anything, I don't. I don't think that's even close. There's no significance to a shark attack really winning the lottery there, there's some human element, story, the way people handle it and stuff that you could you know, you could do write long papers about. There's nothing to a shark attack. It's very, very rare. The whole story is in one sentence, you got by a shark and died.
Speaker 2: Or survived. It sucks hard if you are the bye tea. Lord knows, but I mean incredibly all Lord, it's so incredibly infrequent, but we spend a lot of time thinking about it and talking about it and reporting out it on.
Speaker 1: The news and that sort of thing. Do you have any fear of that. I've never worried about it once in my life.
Speaker 2: A little bit, A little bit I did as a kid.
Speaker 1: I'm from Kansas and didn't see the ocean until I was twenty. That's part of it.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I would say, you don't get to brag about your courage. And Judy and I spend a fair amount of time on the Atlantic coast these days, and I don't worry about it, but I'm aware of it. But generally it's somebody. Shark nips at somebody to see what they are and think. So God that's not a seal air and moves on. It's fatalities are very very rare. But you know, if you got blood rushing out of your lower leg, that's a long day. I mean, you're gonna have a long, unpleasant day. Having said that, I read this entire article about how they're coming up with suits for people who are in the ocean of fair amount, surfers, divers, whatever that use LED lights on the suit, just one here, one there, one air and it disrupts the silhouette of an objecked like a surfer for instance, or seal decoys, which is how they're trying to figure out if this works or not.
Speaker 1: But the shark is trying to figure out what that is.
Speaker 2: And if you break up the silhouette of it so it appears to be a couple of different things by having an LED light right in the middle of it, the shark's like it, I don't know what that is, but it's sure not a seal, and it moves on. So they think the greatest shark attack avoidance mechanism or method they've ever come up with, these little LED lights that just confuse the shark's eyes.
Speaker 1: Well, doesn't that put a skip in my step that they've eliminated one of the one in a billion ways that I could die the most likely.
Speaker 2: Spend your time in the ocean. No, no, you don't get to play the hard ass here.
Speaker 1: You don't get to Can you come and put anything with like heart disease or car rex or anything that might get me? Ooh, guy got et by a bear the other day. And where was it? It was one of your eastern states?
Speaker 2: Yeah, him and his dog too fluffy anyway, So I don't know.
Speaker 1: The dog didn't occupy the bear long enough that he could get away, or maybe he wasn't that kind of guy. I'm hurling my dog at the bear and run.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, wow, I'm running.
Speaker 1: I believe in a hierarchy. You know, my family needs me more than you. Pop occupy this bear while I get in feats don't fail me? Now.
Speaker 2: You know it takes a certain kind of guy to admit that out loud, But you're one hundred percent ride. Heck yeah, I mean if I were to and I can barely make these words come out of my mouth, if Judy and I are hiking.
Speaker 1: You're gonna shove Judy at the bear.
Speaker 2: With our dog oh, I was.
Speaker 1: Thinking of the same thing, and I hurl.
Speaker 2: I was pausing for effect, let me do my art, and I heard a hurl poor Baxter at the bear. Oh my god, I find that so repugnant I can bury it in my mouth.
Speaker 1: It's interesting, this kid. This came up just the other day. Who was I with? And they thought it was horrific that I said that. To me, it's just like her percent the obvious choice. I got two kids I got to take care of and support. Hmm, I'm not you know, they say, whoever was who was I with? But they said, oh no, I would protect the dog. I'd probably get it. You're nuts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Well, this reminds me this might be like the ultimate test of something I like to talk about on the show, which is how there are certain people who are willing to deal with unpleasant adult realities. And I'm trying to remember of a good example of an issue that I've talked about this before.
Speaker 1: But you get certain.
Speaker 2: People who say we've got to do something, and you say, well, that's not going to work. It's a waste of money and it's abusive to the taxpayers. But we've got to do something, you know, okay, Well, unless you can come up with something smart, we're not going to do anything. Those people have to figure it out for themselves. Are you willing to confront unpleasant reality or not? If the answer is not, if you are not willing to admit you would hurl your dog at thet a bear's hungry jaws.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna lob him high in the air to even give myself more time, right off I go?
Speaker 2: Yes, Yes, a trick employed by many A brother, perhaps while playing rough with his other brothers, Sure tosses the ball a little high in the air, then belly tackles his brother while he's looking up it.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, that's exactly right.
Speaker 2: If you are not willing to admit you would hurl your dog at the bear, you cannot be in charge of anything.
Speaker 1: I might yell thank you, pop pup. I'll remember you over my shoulder as I run. You're a good dog. We're a good dog.
Speaker 2: Right right, yeah, okay, anyway, where were we? I guess we probably did enough of the shark attack thing. I just I find it interesting that somebody had this idea and it actually works.
Speaker 1: Cool. It'll probably become very standard. It might be the end of a shark attack.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wonder, Yeah, put them on the bottom of surfboards and all, because a surfboard with like a couple of hands paddling looks just like a seal.
Speaker 1: Do you, Michael, you're at the beach with your wife. Yeah, just sitting on the beach, you said. But yeah, were you literally just sitting there, like staring out at the water, or were you reading or listening to music or.
Speaker 3: Just sitting there and we were just talking.
Speaker 1: Okay, talking amongst yourself.
Speaker 2: We were talking.
Speaker 3: Actually, you know, she wants me to and when she gets cremated to put her ashes around you know, the coast and stuff like that. So I asked her, you know, where would you like? So we were trying to decide on spots.
Speaker 2: Actually, she'll murder you long before that's necessary.
Speaker 1: Pretty young for that conversation. I'd be a little concerned that.
Speaker 3: She's oh, no, up, Yeah, she's doing fine. But it's just you know, she was thinking about it, and so I asked.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I could sit there and watch the waves for an hour without the slightest boredom.
Speaker 1: I could do it right now. I don't know, I'm gonna what if you miss a TikTok.
Speaker 2: Oh, Lord, drown him. Drown him right now. He's feeding dogs to bears. He's scrolling through TikTok and Nature's wonders.
Speaker 1: A monster, you know.
Speaker 3: The wife and I were at the State Fair and a carnee approached me, and so I grabbed my wife and pulled it right in front of me so she could engaged.
Speaker 1: You did, well, I guess that's it.