Speaker 1: The following.
Speaker 2: He is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 3: Cowboys. This he's Talking Cowboys stringing live.
Speaker 4: From the Dallas Cowboys World Tours at.
Speaker 5: The Star in Frisco, Dot Tixon Today, Touchdown and now your hosts Isaiah Standback, Patrick Walker, Josh Rodriguez, and Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 2: It's a Thursday edition of Talking Cowboys, presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company, live from the Star in Frisco, Texas, in the SWBC studios. Welcome in, everybody. It is our Cowboys offensive preview day against the Lions defense. We've got Patrick Nocy, Walker, Josh Rodriguez, Isaiah Standback, Chris Beam in the back.
Speaker 4: Yelman's glad you are with us. Come join us for a little bit.
Speaker 2: Cowboys Talk today. Plenty to talk about going into week. It's six crazy that we're already a month and a half into this.
Speaker 1: I don't like it.
Speaker 4: You don't like it.
Speaker 1: I like it, but I don't like it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's fine, we're in it.
Speaker 1: But then like it just means that we're getting closer to the end.
Speaker 6: We're in the thick of it. I mean, who knows who knows in the thick of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, time is flying, man, Bye week is next week.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 8: That is wild seven so seven verses eight, it's still mid season four.
Speaker 4: Les, I mean after this we are a third of away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, third.
Speaker 9: That and the third man.
Speaker 2: It's making its way maybes, but we've got QB vision today is I say, it's going to break down what we see on the Lions defensive side of things, and if there's any.
Speaker 4: Sort of susceptible opportunity a little bit of a Florida uh well, a little bit of lights.
Speaker 2: Going out first, but second now, yeah, that's speaking of for all those that are down in Florida.
Speaker 4: I hope he stayed safe for tonight. It looked rough.
Speaker 1: It really did look rough, But I'm glad that it eased up.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you know what I'm saying, Like, no disrespect to you know, people who are you know, faced hard times in regards to this storm and people who have lost ones, but it could have been substantially worse. Right, I think it eased up to a to a three or two got grated last night. Yeah that's good man, because I was when it was at that five. I'm like, that's that's catastrophic. Yeah, it's I mean, it's a beast situation oi the way, because with with the hurricane comes the flooding, which does the most damage.
Speaker 1: And then I saw fifteen feet of storm feet of storm surgeon.
Speaker 8: I saw a couple of people, a couple of my followers send me some video of like multiple tornadoes like that, twisters and things like that, like touching down simultaneously. So I mean, obviously some some catastrophic catastrophic damage has still been occurring in Florida. But Isaiah's point, thankful, it wasn't the category five that made landfall that everyone was afraid of. So hopefully everyone's staying safe and hopefully everyone is okay.
Speaker 2: And just know you're in our thoughts and pray, you know, and we're thinking about you here. And we had two of our three callers on talking Tuesday.
Speaker 1: We're from Florida and from in the.
Speaker 6: Middle of the path of the storm listening to the podcast while they're dealing with.
Speaker 1: You guys, see that, Lieutenant, I say, go check on Lieutenant. Dan.
Speaker 8: Dude was like in a little like a little single person boat. This boat twenty Yeah, it's twenty foot boat.
Speaker 1: Bro. This dude's in there.
Speaker 8: He's like, I'm writing it out and like he did like a whole Did you see the stream that he did. He did a stream with live stream, did a live stream from the boat with some popular you know streamer. Yeah, and they're like gifting him like one hundred thousand dollars boat because he made it through.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's cool, he said.
Speaker 10: He said he wanted to keep the boat because that's the only thing he had. He's been living on the street and finally got this boat and he's always been living on his boat, and that's the only thing you had.
Speaker 1: So he's gonna, wow, take it out.
Speaker 10: This is the mayor went out there, told him to hey, man, we got we got shelter for you, and he's like, no, man, I'm staying with.
Speaker 11: My boat life stories.
Speaker 4: Gosh, crazy stuff.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to check it out.
Speaker 2: I had an opportunity to do so. And thoughts and prayers to all those out in Florida. All Right, news and notes, yesterday we had a very interesting injury.
Speaker 8: We did you want the bad news or the good news versus give me the bad knock it out?
Speaker 1: Take the bad news.
Speaker 8: Bad news is as the cowboys are dealing with issues with their defensive line depth, specifically defensive end. They might be dealing with some issues with the linebacker depth as well this week. Eric Kendricks did not participate in Wednesday's practice. He's two separate injuries a calf and a shoulder going into this matchup against the Lions, and.
Speaker 4: Those aren't connected, right like the side of things.
Speaker 1: Connected to the is it opposing? Good question?
Speaker 8: Good question doesn't specify, But I'm going to ask that today because I want to know that's that Tilton, all right? So Eric Kendricks, that is absolutely something to keep an eye on. And Nick Vigil, which is the backup green dot for Eric Kendricks, he also did not participate yesterday. He's dealing with a foot injury. And yesterday was a limited practice overall because the Cowboys got in later than usual because of the rain delay in Pittsburgh. Today, being Thursday, is going to be a full blown heavy shell practice two hours, so we'll see what the report looks like after that. Marquise Bell he did not participate, but it was with an illness, so presumably he'll be fined as long as the illness passes in time. We've seen those can kind of drag out as well, but for the most part, everyone else participated like they should have. Kaitlyn Carson was a full participant with that shoulder injury for the first time since suffering that shoulder injury against the Ravens, So that's good news. And Doran Bland what everybody's waiting on. Doran Bland was a full participant. Interesting, and yesterday's practice his twenty one day practice window has been activated. They have until October thirtieth to make a decision on him, but at this rate it'll be way before then when he.
Speaker 1: Gets back on the field. Talk to Jordan Lewis yesterday in the locker room.
Speaker 8: Didn't get a chance to talk to Doroan He he was going to do something before we had a chance to get in there. But Jordan Lewis basically just could not be more excited for the possibility of maybe as early as this weekend, getting Jordan Lewis, Trayvon Diggs and Deron Bland on the field at the same time.
Speaker 9: Dag you what we're gonna need him.
Speaker 8: Yeah, So Doron Bland is trending rapidly. It's good toward his return.
Speaker 3: It's interesting you gave.
Speaker 2: That hypothetical yesterday, how would it make you feel if he was a full participant. You just kind of threw it out there, and sure enough.
Speaker 1: That's what happened.
Speaker 4: And honestly, that was just hypothetical.
Speaker 6: I genuinely was like, Okay, if that twenty one day practice was opens starting tomorrow and it's he goes for the full practice, what do we think? Uh to me that it indicates obviously trended stores you're gonna see him on the field on Sunday, which was very exciting.
Speaker 8: Joe and Lewis said that he being Deron Bland, almost had an interception in his first team for.
Speaker 1: The first time, like Luda in Old one. I like that.
Speaker 2: Now my question to you, you talked about it being a limited practice, right, a limited sense of practicing. Does that change today as they go into a further ramp up. If that's the case, do you expect a limited tag on a lot of these guys that were full participants because it was limited, Like, hey, let's put you out there, We're not doing a whole lot, We're going to categorize you as full.
Speaker 1: So if there's a step back.
Speaker 2: Today from guys like Bland and guys like Diggs and guys like Carson.
Speaker 4: Is that something to worry about?
Speaker 1: I that's an excellent point.
Speaker 8: I wouldn't expe fact that a guy like Trayvon Diggs would be downgraded from full limited.
Speaker 1: I could see Carson.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I could see a guy like Kayln Carson being downgraded to limited because of the added workload from Wednesday's practice to a full blown Thursday's practice. And then speaking with Kayln yesterday, he said in the locker room, he said, he is feeling better, but he's working to get his full range of motion back. So to that point, there is a likelihood that Kayln Carson will be limited today. But don't view that as a setback for all intents and purposes. Just view it as a ramping up with the workload versus if he's staying on this same even keel as yesterday. Technically contextually, like Kyle is saying, it makes him limited today whereas it made him full yesterday.
Speaker 6: Do you think they're considering the optics of that though? If they do end up being limited at the end of the day today, are they thinking we're outwardsly looking in If they're limited and they were full yesterday, does that mean like, Okay, they.
Speaker 1: Brought it back too soon?
Speaker 9: What do we doing?
Speaker 6: Like, do you think they consider the optics or are they just dealing with it as.
Speaker 1: They care about it up?
Speaker 2: If anything, they may use the optics to their advantationship because Detroit gets the same injury report that we do, and you get the same injury report that that the Lions send out. So if you're the Lions, you're looking like, wow, Doron blaying back full participant up. Never mind he was limited. Maybe they were just doing some small stuff. So if anything, yeah, I think the competitiveship gives an opportunity there and interesting we'll see.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but I can promise you that the medical staff doesn't care about optics. They care if the player is cleared ready or transitioning. Yeah, and then work with the coaching staff and what are their reps.
Speaker 1: That's how it goes.
Speaker 2: How big of a win is that for the defense if Deron Bland is back out there, even for limited snaps we talked about fifteen snaps, twenty snaps.
Speaker 4: However, it may be going into the weekends huge.
Speaker 1: I mean, you have your starting lineup out there in terms of your defensive backs.
Speaker 4: That's which never happens.
Speaker 8: It hasn't happened here much at all. Actually, we've been waiting on blanding digs that play together and when those guys are not together and Jay Lou is down and Jay Lou's down, those me so you know, we need to trifecta. So we're finally gonna get the trifecta. But you still won't have the full the full gravity of what this defense capable of because the pressures probably won't be there to help those guys in their coverage.
Speaker 6: Of course, there's how many pick sixes can we get on fifteen snaps?
Speaker 4: You know what I mean? Yeah, you know I mean fifteen fifteen.
Speaker 1: Let's go for that.
Speaker 2: This it sounds like a good idea now you brought up the point there. They've always had Michael Parsons in front of him as a trio. Anyways, in the small snaps or even limited snaps that they've had together, they've always had Michael Parsons or.
Speaker 4: DeMarcus Lawrence in front of them. They do not have those guys.
Speaker 2: Nope, going into the week and there's no update on Micah right like he's.
Speaker 1: He didn't present. You're still missing your top four d he's not looking good for the top four.
Speaker 4: Marshawn six.
Speaker 2: If we go back to last those two previous guys yeah, and then the two guys from last year.
Speaker 1: Too well, then the six rough Yeah that's right. Yeah, so now you.
Speaker 2: Have significantly do you think that that, Yes, they won't play as well as a unit and it may not look as clean from their standpoint.
Speaker 8: Quarterback has more time, receivers have more time to get open. It will have a negative impact, most likely on your defensive backs ability to cover.
Speaker 4: So what should the expectation.
Speaker 8: Be for them to get their feet underneath them? I mean, Jay Lou's playing well. Diggs has been pretty quiet. I haven't paid much attention to Diggs, and obviously we usually talk about him in regards to clamp down corner. I need to go back and watch more film on him to see exactly how he's doing.
Speaker 2: But he's has been throwing away from Diggs.
Speaker 9: They run at him, They run at him.
Speaker 1: For a bit of a ride on that one tackle against the Steelers.
Speaker 8: He's been playing so yeah, I mean, so Diggs, Diggs and jaylu are doing their things. So now you just want to get you want to get bland and you know what Bland is capable of. But you know, let's let's have some some low expectations for somebody coming off of a foot injury, right Like, let's get him, let's get him in there, let's see what he looks like, and hopefully he's what we remember him being. And if that's the case, and you have a solid three out there that can play against the solid core of receivers that you're about to face, and then you need your safety to be able to obviously help.
Speaker 6: Over the top, and hopefully that leads to coverage sacks, coverage pressure, right.
Speaker 8: Yes, absolutely, yes, So from that standpoint, yes, you not what we're what we're referring to. Okay, for those that are listening, Okay, these I'm not saying that their defensive backs can't cover, correct, I'm saying that our defensive backs are more effective with their coverage ability when they have pressure.
Speaker 1: That's that's any defensive that's any dbs.
Speaker 12: Right.
Speaker 1: It's the reason why the Seattle, the Seattle Legion of Boom.
Speaker 8: Yeah, the Legion of Boom and the Seahawks were so good back in the day because they have pressure.
Speaker 4: Jets are good right now in their defense, right.
Speaker 1: So I mean it goes hand in hand.
Speaker 8: So it doesn't mean because you don't have those guys listening to pressure up front, that you no longer have the ability to cover. It just means that the quarterback has more time, right, So you have to cover longer, right. And if you have to cover longer, then obviously you have a greater chance of getting tired and they have more chance to get open. It's like an extended play, right, So it has a negative negative correlation in that regard. But these guys can still cover. So I'm looking forward to seeing those three together because this receivering core is solid. I mean, you know, we talked about it yesterday. We talked about Jamison Williams, Jameson Williams, we talked about maras A Brown. You know, they got some dudes, right, So, Tim Patrick, that's a solid three receivers. You need solid three defensive backs, and then you need some safeties that can come down there and take care of those tight ends. And we have that. So it's gonna be it's gonna be fun to see that unit looking forward, seeing what happens at the linebacker side of thing. Damon Clark, he's he's obviously just been a special teams player up to this part of the year. I'm looking forward to him possibly have an opportunity to get in there proove this week. Yeah, I mean so, I mean you talk about somebody who's had their opportunity, who thought they were going to be a more intricate part of this this defense, and that pretty that rug pool kind of happened to them when these new these new faces showed up in the locker room. Injuries usually provide opportunities. So if Kendricks is unable to go, you're gonna see a lot of eighteen in there. And I'm pretty sure when you have that one opportunity, you don't want to miss it.
Speaker 1: So you got one shot.
Speaker 8: One thing that we've we've been seeing with the Cowboys. It's one thing we've been seeing with the Cowboys is that guys are taking advantage of the opportunities that they otherwise may not have without injury. I mean, look at what Jalen Tobert did, look at what Chauncey Ghost and Tyrs Weed, Carl Lost and TJ Bess last week.
Speaker 1: Limited opportunities like really.
Speaker 8: Take huge Absolutely, he's he I mean that needs to be talked about more. I can't pronounce his name.
Speaker 9: O Yo, understand, give respect.
Speaker 8: We we've really done it a few times this week in terms of the front office, right and Will McLay and the whole scouting department. The job they do of going and getting guys. When they pulled him on the roster, nobody knew who the heck you was. Let's call it what it is, respect. I didn't know what. I didn't know his body at work, I didn't I don't know him right, So why we had to work to pronounce it? Yeah, and I'm still right. But but what I'm gonna say thenate Newton Nutch approject. I'm just gonna give initials. But the fact that he showed up, you know, booth booth is still to me right now. But Ao showed up in a major way. And having a contributor like that that you know can come in when called upon, when they didn't have a body of work within your even your training camp. They want a training camp. They' when the ots and then that stuff, and they show up and started making plays for you. When your depth chart is down. Now you look at it, you have four guys the team want to go, four wives, and so we got a fourth guy that we trust, you know, so like and that was somebody that that's an You ever had a contribution that you just didn't expect, you know what I mean, Like something added to your budget.
Speaker 4: Like, oh dude, I had one recently. Yeah, the same thing tax return there.
Speaker 2: I like was expecting like taxes, like like paying taxes. I was like, so not looking forward. But it's a huge game changer. The amount of diapers in formula. I'm buying all now. It's like, so you did that, you.
Speaker 1: Got the extra checking this like I was. I was planning to be okay without it. But since I have, yeah, all welcome.
Speaker 4: In your pocket, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: But look what that does for the defense though.
Speaker 8: For the defense, I mean you go out there and dye in personnel now and feel confident no matter.
Speaker 1: Who linees up out there, bring your best ward receivers.
Speaker 8: I don't care. We're solid. Instead of being like, okay, I'm feel good about our three. This fourth one, we got to protect him a little bit. Maybe we got to play a little bit safer. You don't have to do that now because you're confident, right, I'm not saying that he's a.
Speaker 4: World playing with house money and house money.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, that's a good analogy.
Speaker 4: Not that we're gambling people on talking.
Speaker 8: Unless you guys want to embrace me or something that's probably not good in my advantage right now, this hamstring.
Speaker 2: The only thing you can win at is a ball game, the football throwing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we've already established this. Now I want to take firstran.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the second part of it. Isaiah posted the video of what we talked about yesterday of him cheating at these football games at the fair and he left the guy hanging like Tom Brady on this island.
Speaker 8: Baby, just go to my IG because I'm really not on X too much. Go to I stand back. I am stand back. Hey, y'all tell me I have a poll on there. Okay, y'all go ahead and comy and tell me if I did do wrong or not.
Speaker 4: I'm shocked I voted.
Speaker 1: Yes, of course you vote. I know that you did that. Your was hilarious by the way it was.
Speaker 2: But that's the thing is in the break it said yes thirteen percent and no eighty seven percent.
Speaker 1: What do you guys?
Speaker 4: Are you guys accounts?
Speaker 1: Are you guys going to vote right? Yes? Because we're going to break I'll go ahead. I understand, I will respond back to you. Guys. We're coming back from break, all right.
Speaker 4: We'll be right back after this with more talking cowboys.
Speaker 13: If you're looking for fresh American roasted coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store and pick up a bag of Black Rifle Coffee. That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffee aisle of a grocery store near you. Black Rifle Coffee Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every back box or can you purchase help support that mission. Head to your local grocery store and roast yourself some Black Rifle coffee Today. Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per But the good.
Speaker 14: News is Todd has at and T five g. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G Fast Reliable, Secure.
Speaker 7: Five G requires compatable plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you fifty deals.
Speaker 2: It's the official min's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now Cowboys fans could get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus Because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy whipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip.
Speaker 3: If you shout how about them cowboys?
Speaker 15: You have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious, ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be beat better yet. Gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious, ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone.
Speaker 1: The wins will be even tastier.
Speaker 9: It's a pepper thing.
Speaker 3: To talking cowboys.
Speaker 2: Back here, I'm talking cowboys.
Speaker 4: Welcome back into the show.
Speaker 2: This portion of the show is brought to you by Quaker Oats, the official oatmeal sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys. Quaker Oads trusted since eighteen seven.
Speaker 1: I wish people could hear the break. No, don't you know that?
Speaker 6: All I do, like we need to do like a Patreon like extra bonus features of.
Speaker 2: Talking cowboys underrated Like yeah, cowboys unrated, understand.
Speaker 9: And we actually don't talk cowboys at all.
Speaker 3: It's called talking.
Speaker 2: It's just talking with the apostrophe is it's like an X or something asterisk up there? Like that?
Speaker 4: A good one?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, all right.
Speaker 2: Well, of course today is our Cowboys offense versus the Detroit Lions defensive preview. This is a Lion's defense that has given up some points and some passing yards. Isaiah, and I want you to outline how the Cowboys can dice apart the Detroit defense in some.
Speaker 1: M wait for m why.
Speaker 5: It's time for QB vision with Isaiah's standback.
Speaker 1: It's good forms though. Thanks Hi, guys, get your pants more level, keep vision look good. What's the fellas? You are good? We're good, good man, let's talk about it. I'm gonna talk about the cowboys.
Speaker 4: Still look like you at the fair, just.
Speaker 8: Shaking hands after the high probability of that happening, because these guys are not very good.
Speaker 9: WHA sorry, call it.
Speaker 4: Like you sees them.
Speaker 1: There we go. I'm sorry. I mean, I'm just calling how I see it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm unimpressed by this, my ex teammate, you know, I'm saying there in Gland's lead defense.
Speaker 16: A G.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a G. You're a great dude.
Speaker 8: I'm not sure what's going on with their defense right now. But again to the point of their defensive backs to start back there, unimpressed there.
Speaker 1: These guys their physical they're they're feisty.
Speaker 8: They embody the personality not only of AG but they embodied Dan Campbell obviously, so they're they're fighters, right, They're scrappy, they're gonna get up in your face a little bit. But they're gonna hold and they're gonna be talking, and they're gonna be undisciplined, and they're gonna want to be heroes. We talk about playing hero ball. They do that often if they have a responsibility at they're a zone that they're responsible for, they say, screw that right, I'm in the middle of an argument with this dude. We're beefing, so I'm locking him up wherever he goes. And by doing that, playing that hero ball, playing selfish ball, they leave their teammates out to dry. So there are a lot of opportunities within their defensive scheme. They mix up their coverages. They're not a primary one or primary two. I mean stats might say differently, but as I watched the film, is really based upon what personnel you're coming out in. So for like Dallas, Dallas likes to be an eleven personnel. They want to be single high. They want to be single high. These guys run the cover three. They'll run man in their man coverage. Their communication is trash like pepulate pew. If you guys want to go back and look at the Seattle game, Seattle ran.
Speaker 9: A lot of.
Speaker 8: Seattle ran a lot of crossing routes because of because of the fact that Detroit was trying to play man to man defense on them. Seattle obviously has a plethora of receivers, so they were pretty much like catch me if you can type of deal. They they want to play aggressive, their defensive backs want to undercut. They want to go out there and get the interception. So being that that's the case, double moves are right there for the taking. You can get these guys on slug gos, hitching goals, over and ups, you know, post corners, you can get them on anything that's gonna get these guys going in one direction, no, no dance moves and then take it to the corner.
Speaker 1: Wow, take it to the brig.
Speaker 8: So yeah, so their dbs can be exposed, their secondary can definitely be exposed. The seams, especially when these guys are playing.
Speaker 9: Is that good the seam throw?
Speaker 8: That's very good at the seams. So there's gonna be a lot of opportunities for splash.
Speaker 4: Does he have a wide receiver or a tight end maybe?
Speaker 6: Yeah, running down he always throws a perfect seam to and you know, and CD.
Speaker 8: I think this is a game where CD can really go off in the in the slot right, So I'm talking about lining up CD LAMB and a short split, meaning are around the numbers, maybe motioning out a duce vawn if he can be active, or we go now that he's shown the ability to catch the ball down the field. If you can motion these guys out, there's some some alignments, some coverage.
Speaker 2: Deck just real quick off of that. Does it worry you the fact that Duce Vaughan was not active, it does work. I don't like it, Yeah, I don't like it. Now they were able to be effective on the ground a lot of that because of Rico doubtle and what he was able.
Speaker 1: For sure, and Rico proved that he can catch the ball right. Yeah, I like I like. I like Douce though.
Speaker 8: I like what it provides in terms of a change of pace. So I would like to see him be utilized more because I think he gives this offense more versatility. I think this is a game where he can be highlighted because I think he could create to match up Nightmare for their overly aggressive linebackers if they do want to match up in their second level. Linebackers are very aggressive, very fast. They want to come hit you in the mouth. This is a physical team, no, no doubt about it. Forty six Jack Campbell, Solid, Alex Azolon. I like him a lot. He's number thirty four. He is a wild man. He's the dude with the hair hanging out his helmet. You've always liked him.
Speaker 1: I've always liked him.
Speaker 9: He's a very Campbell esque.
Speaker 1: I like him, like he reminds me.
Speaker 8: Of like the Van Ginko Kat who now plays for Minnesota. I like those guys remind me of each other. Just you know, balls of the wall, just NonStop. They're not going to stop. They're relentless in their pursuit. Yeah, high motor guys, right, they don't turn it off. So that's how their whole defense plays. But their secondary is just not disciplined. So take advantage of that. CD can go off. Like I said, get him in the slot to take advantage of those seams and Cover two and in Cover three, they're underneath coverage guys. They stay played deep, so they'll give more than they're supposed to. So imagine if you're playing it. If you're a linebacker and you're supposed to be playing anywhere from five to seven yards depth, these guys will sink about thirteen to fourteen.
Speaker 1: Yards deep to try to get underneath your deeper receivers. Well what does that allow for.
Speaker 8: Well, if you're if you're strategic enough and you're disciplined enough, you'll take the easy pass underneath.
Speaker 1: And let your guys go get some yards up the catch y.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so you they want to protect because I think they know that these guys are undisciplined, so they ask their underneath guys to say, hey, go back there and help these guys out a little bit because these are these they're there wild men. But it opens things up for your running back to be able to catch about the backfield. So that's what I'm talking about, dous and things of that nature. Low dunk downs. You know, Jake can get some things underneath five seven yards easy high precision passes and then use your yard us, your legs, and your abilities to get.
Speaker 1: Some extra yardage.
Speaker 8: So that's the first that's the third level. Obviously, the DB's the linebackers. I said, they're running hit.
Speaker 2: They will run a hit the extra point on your defensive backs here too. They're without Melifan Wu, who was one of the better safeties in football over the last couple of years. Then you've got Brian Branch who's kind of that two way guy who can play safety and corner.
Speaker 4: He was inactive last week. He's on the injury reporting in this week.
Speaker 2: So something to keep an eye out in terms of their depth at the safety spot because now they're rolling out Carlton Davis on the outside and Terry on Arnold both are decent players in the right but like you said, the communication just communications.
Speaker 8: Trash, and like I said, they play immature, and Terry and Arnold especially, he plays immature. He talks a lot, grabs a lot, a lot of penalties. I mean he probably had five pis on DK rookie. Yeah, he's four games in first round pick though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well he's learning and so it's hard for him enough.
Speaker 8: But the thing is, oddly enough, as big as there's a lot of players that have been left on the table against them, the people just had not connected. And I think because those guys are so fisty, the ball kind of has to be on the money, which Deck has been very accurate this year. So there's so many opportunities for those one on one matchups there, but they buckle down. They've only given up four passing touchdowns. Yeah, So as much as I'm saying that you can get splash plays against them, you still got to score because they've only given up four touchdowns. They have four interceptions because they just taking their rolling the dice on their guys.
Speaker 4: So how important is it because Kenneth Walker torched them?
Speaker 1: Yes he did in Detroit.
Speaker 2: Yes he did, even though you had Jerry Goff in the offense dicing it up and going eighteen for eighteen on that side of things. The way that Kenneth Walker was able to have success and it wasn't the passing game from Gino Smith and the Seahawks, how important is this game for Riko more important than what he had to do in Pittsburgh or less.
Speaker 8: I think it's about the same thing. It's about the same I think in terms of running the ball. If you can have an effective running game against these guys, their d line is not world beaters. They don't get home in terms of passing, so you don't have to worry about Dak necessarily being under pressure, even though we talked about Dak throwing the ball better under pressure. Substantially, they're one of the worst in the league in terms of pressures. But they have the leading sacker in the game and Aiden Hutchinson, and that most of that came from one game where he had four sacks. He has six and a half on the season right now. But he's not doing it necessarily great right now either, So I'm not concerned about the pressure. But I think this is a team as much as we talk about their their attitude and their grit, I think.
Speaker 1: You can run the ball against them. I truly think you can run a ball against these guys.
Speaker 8: You just have to be determined enough to take it to them and go head up with them and just say, hey, it's me and you square up. You know, let's go Oklahoma drill and just just run them over. If you could take that from them, you could take their will from them. You could take their will, and that's going to be a blow not only to their defense but to their entire team because that's the identity of their team.
Speaker 1: They want to run, they want to hit right.
Speaker 8: Their guys want to play downhill, and because of that, play action is oh so sweet. If you can get these guys coming downhill, yes, play action, but in order to have play action, red of the rent. So that's pretty much what I have there. Man, I wish there was more. I've I've looked, I've searched, I've done all those things. These guys are the bottom of league and pressures are at the bottom of the league. Of sacks, they're they're they're not they're at the top of the league in terms of giving up yardage in the air. They're just they're just not good statistically and then defensively. They only have a handful of guys that you're necessarily concerned about. Like I said, Hutchison, keep your eye on them, but you've faced way better this year. You know, he's he's a high motor guy. He's not a skilled guy. He's a high motor guy, not a skill guy very much at the next level. Alex ends alone, high motor guy, not necessarily a high skill guy, but you better get your hat on him because he'll be a disruptor. Outside of that, there's just not a lot of dudes, man, DJ Reader. He's just a big boy. But and you know, I'm like, I'm just I'm just not impressed. I'm not impressed. If you can shut down their office, you're you're you're a good position.
Speaker 1: This is weird.
Speaker 2: Hearing Isaiah and not impressed about an imposing defense.
Speaker 8: I'm not They're a good team, right, so like they're a good team overall team, but out of their team, this is probably the worst third of their of their game.
Speaker 6: What's strange to me is whenever I was going through the tape and outside looking in, I was like, this is a great team that we're about to play. I'm afraid of them, Like I'm intimidated by this team. However, when I was writing down my notes looking at the defensive film, the defensive side of the ball, I was kind of coming up with the same thing. I was like, Okay, well, Aaron Glenn is almost aggressive to a fault, Like he wasn't even double covering DK Metcalf for the most of that Seahawks game. And I'm like, okay, well, thank you, Please keep doing that. Please keep doing that. I would love to do that because that just opens cdlam down the field, and thank you for that. They play a lot of man coverage, and I think you can scheme them to death with the right offensive play calls, but they have.
Speaker 1: To be creative.
Speaker 6: And that's another thing with at least on the cowboy side, where I don't feel like they've been as creative down the field throwing the football, You know what I mean, It's very much the same hit routes, the same go routes, the same I think if you're able to do more crossers and play off of because they are doing a lot of off ball or what is it offman exactly, if you're able to run crossers, I think that's where you you find the juice, right almost.
Speaker 1: Like the one that got Jaylen Tobert the go ahead touchdown.
Speaker 9: Almost like exactly exactly.
Speaker 8: Seattle ran about six of them in the game. You go back to watch Seattle film set, it ran a ton of them. Gino Smith missed a lot of throws in that game. That just missed a lot of throws. And you talk about DK, about four or five of those things were to DK for big plays and DK's you see him just throwing his hands up like bruh, could you get there?
Speaker 6: And talking about undisciplined Arnold for one. Whenever he was covering DK like he was, it was strange. So he had his back turned to the sideline where he was just leaving DK open. He was mainly looking downfield and back to the quarterback obviously, but to the center of the jump. It exactly when it's like this is DK metcalf Man. He could play the sideline all day long, and guess who can also play the sideline all day long, CD lamb. So to me, they won't be able to beat you with speed at all. You want to get Cavante Turpin involved early and often, like we talked about giving him that confidence in getting them the ball early enough, and being creative with his routes as well, and giving him those crossers too, because you'd think they would change their ways a little bit and maybe double cover CD. But I don't think Aaron Glenn's gonna do it.
Speaker 9: He likes his guy.
Speaker 1: He's only I mean, he's only blitzing.
Speaker 8: To your point, you talk about how aggresive he is, he'sk about aggressive in terms of his defensive backs techniques because they're only blitching twenty nine percent, right, we're.
Speaker 1: Talking about techniques, right.
Speaker 8: These guys trust, they trust in their defensive backs coverage ability, right, so they will they have no problem leaving these guys man to man. So you got to win, You gotta win, and they will come up in two hand punch you in the mouth at the line of scrimmage and say get off the ball.
Speaker 1: So CD's gonna have to be on top of his cubes.
Speaker 8: One thing that I want to highlight that I think is going to be very important to this game that we haven't had to worry about too much yet is ball security. I really want to stress ball security this week because this is a physical team that flies and hits you at full speed. They're not great tactles. No, not just talking about Jalleen'sober and they're not great tacklers. They're not great tacklers. These guys will run and they'll hit you full speed and they'll try to punch the ball out.
Speaker 2: There's an interesting point I want to make here, and it's based off of something you said three years ago about this Lion's team. I'll tell you about it when we come back. Right after the break here on Talking.
Speaker 14: Cowboy, Tons thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and T five G Fast, reliable, Secure.
Speaker 7: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area. Seeatt dot com slash five G for U fifty deals.
Speaker 16: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 12: Hey, y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here. With football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates.
Speaker 3: But with that Texas heat, it's.
Speaker 12: Crucial to keep my beer handcramp and cold. That's where Yeti's insulated colster can cooler comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed Yettie Cowboys gear is now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on Yetie dot com. Check it out today. Yeti Official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: And we're going to overtime Erica.
Speaker 1: How much have I spent on concessions?
Speaker 17: For questions about their money, Dallas Cowboys fans can turn to Erica, the virtual financial assistant in the Bank of AMERICAP mobile banking app. Learn more at Bankofamerica dot com, slash ericup by your side. Bank of America Official Bank of the Dallas Cowboys. Erica responses may very digital tools featured required downloading the mobile banking app and may only be available on select mobile devices. Erica is a mobile feature only available in the Englis language. Your chap may be recorded and monitor for qualit assurance, message, data rate and additional terms may apply. Bank of America and a member FDIC.
Speaker 3: To Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 1: Back here on Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 2: This segment of the show is brought to you by in visi line the official smile of the Dallas Cowboys back alongside Isaiah standback, Patrick no C Walker, Josh Rodriguez, Chris.
Speaker 4: Beam in the back, Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 2: Back in twenty twenty two, Isaiah Oh, Dan Campbell and the Lions made their trip to AT and T Stadium.
Speaker 4: The Lions weren't very good. They were one in five. They worked their way into AT and T. But there was something in QB vision.
Speaker 2: I don't even know if we called it that back then at that point, but it was something you saw in.
Speaker 4: Tape, and it was a willingness to be physical.
Speaker 2: It was a willingness to play downhill and it was a culture of physicality that Dan Campbell had continued to grow.
Speaker 4: Now we've seen them take steps.
Speaker 2: They started winning that year, nearly made the playoffs, lost in the final week of the regular season, or actually they won in the final week against Green Bay but didn't end up getting in because of some of the other outside actors. Then last year they did what they did, making their way all the way to the NFC title game.
Speaker 4: This time around is what has been the.
Speaker 2: Key for that physicality, growing and building that culture all the way through. And are they as physical or less physical than.
Speaker 11: They were last year when the Cowboys saw I think they're less physical. Interesting, Yeah, I don't think they're as physical as they once were. I think they're playing faster, but they're playing more reckless. They're playing faster, but more reckless, and they're not This is not as discipline. And I hate to say that because Mix teammates his unit, but this is a defense that used to be very confident in their ability to hit you and tackle you. Now they just hit you.
Speaker 8: And I don't know if that has to go back to training camp rules or all this stuff, you know, but they're not tackling well, you go back and watch some of their previous games. Guys are running through arm tackles. Guys were leaving their teammates out. They're not playing with leverage. You have cornerbacks that are making business decisions as as peers will say, you know where you're supposed to stay outside in and kind of funnel everything into your your guys that are coming from the inside. And these guys are just jumping around and saying, I'm not about to get hit, you know what I'm saying. They just totally abandoned what they're supposed to be doing responsibility wise. So you're seeing a lot of selfish play by these guys. And I think guys are being selective as to win. Certain guys on our defense of being selective as to win and what they want to do.
Speaker 2: Is that a byproduct of knowing that the offense is as good as they are and saying, now.
Speaker 4: I will get those points in someone.
Speaker 1: It might be. It might be.
Speaker 8: I mean, I think that's one that's something that you have to be concerned about, right when you have one unit as relatively dominant, the other unit is like, we don't have to be as good, you know. And I'm not saying that's something that should be the case, but it's human nature for some people, right. And depending on the guys that you have in that locker room, depending on the guys you have on that side of the ball, what points of emphasis are being instilled on that side. We don't know, right, We can speculate all day long, but the reality is they're not as good defensively as they have been. They're at the bottom of the league, literally at the bottom of the league and statistically, So that's not opinion.
Speaker 1: That's just facts, you know. That reminds me of.
Speaker 8: In looking at the Detroit Lions, how they're playing football in twenty twenty four, looking at the film, hearing what Isaiah is saying, which I completely agree with, and I'll get to QB vision.
Speaker 1: I had a great point that supports what you're saying.
Speaker 8: It feels like the Detroit Lions are currently what the high powered Dallas Cowboys were at the turn of the decade. Right, When you have a quarterback operating at a high level, you have two running backs that compliment each other so well that they're arguably the best RB duo in the league when you're talking about Zeke and Tony. Right, you had a Marii Cooper, you had CD Lamb and don't show who's operating at a high level because Dak Prescott made him his most targeted receiver at the time. Right, So you have Sam Laporter, so you have the tight end that's highly effective. You have the two dominant wide receivers, you have two dominant guys back there, and you have an offensive line that can block you up right.
Speaker 2: An uber aggressive offensive coordinator.
Speaker 8: Right, like all of these things, But what you didn't have was a secondary that scared the lights out of anyone.
Speaker 1: Right, you had a shaky secondary, but you.
Speaker 8: Kind of got away with it because you had an offense that would just light up the scoreboard at every turn. So to your question and to your answer, I agree, this doesn't feel. This is not to say they're not still physical, but they feel less physical and more finesse and speed and flash than they were in last year or the year prior as they started to turn the culture around. And again this is we're not saying this is a bad thing or a bad football team, but the three in one. But when you contrast that with what the Cowboys have been forced to be this year, right with the struggling offense and the rushing attack not getting where it needs to get. They're scratching and clawing, having to learn how to be the bullies. No game was more evident than the one in Pittsburgh. Right. So now you have a more finesseful, flashy Lions team going up against a more scrappy man down hauling all cards right back against the wall mentality in this matchup, it's actually the Cowboys that feel like the more physical team. As odd as it is for me to say, but I said yesterday going to QB Vision, I love that you said the secondary is questionable because they are the defensive front not so much work, not so much to that point, because they are dominant eight Hutchison and those guys up front, they can do some damage, but that secondary undisciplined. Like Isaiah said, they play off the play safe because Dan.
Speaker 1: Campbell in the defensive court at Aaron Glynn.
Speaker 8: They don't necessarily trust that those guys technique is going to be what it's going to be.
Speaker 1: So what do you do?
Speaker 8: You cushing them a little bit and say, okay, well just keep the play in front of you. Okay, well that's fine. So then you attack the underneath throuts. And I say that to say yesterday, I was having a good conversation with our our friend ass who's on Girl Talk Boys Talk with with Nicole Hudgerson, and I said, I feel like this is the Jake Ferguson game. I feel like this is the Jake Ferguson game in both matchup and in demeanor. Right, you talked about it when you said the lack of discipline in their secondary, it's youth. It's they want to talk. They want a yap, they want a yammer unlike Jordan Lewis, though you haven't proved that you can stick to your technique to be able to do that.
Speaker 1: Yep. But in yammer, something about Jake Ferguson, What is he like to do? Oh, he'll talk.
Speaker 8: You want to talk, He'll talk back. He's going to get under your skin. He's going to get in your head. He did that to a veteran and Jamal Adams completely got Jamal Adams off of his game, right. So I think when you talk about being able to attack underneath, obviously Ceedee Lamb, Jaylen Tolbert underneath, but the seams, they're going to be right there. And I love how Jake is making guys miscal back. And look at what he was doing with against the Steelers, making guys misket in those extra yards Hunter Lipkey, if you're not going to have deuce von in the game, Hunter Lipkey, look at what he did on that critical late game drive right receive right of the back field, making guys miss so attack the underneath. But as far as like matchup and demeanor, give me this being a Jake Ferguson game to kind of help set that bully.
Speaker 1: We're more phys a cool than you tone.
Speaker 8: And it's kind of fun to think about it for a second because the Lions are the more finesseful team. Yeah, I punch him in the face, then, yeah, I think in the face. And this is a bold prediction, but I think CD goes for one fifty. Oh like that, how manyieswies?
Speaker 4: You're putting it on? You putting it on call your shot this week.
Speaker 1: We'll see, you're saying we'll see.
Speaker 8: And I say this because I know from what I'm seeing on film what's what's available. I just don't know if Coach McCarthy's gonna put him in position to do it, you know.
Speaker 1: I mean I can see it on filming. I know what I would do.
Speaker 4: Now I'm making prediction.
Speaker 1: Say it with your chest halfway, say see, I believe half that.
Speaker 8: If you line the camera, listen, listen, if you line CD Lamb, If Ceedee Lamb gets fifty percent of his snaps from the slot, he goes for one fifty if he just needs.
Speaker 4: Now, he got quiet as he said that.
Speaker 1: No, this is me talking to This is me talking to the people.
Speaker 8: Listen, Ceedee Lamb needs to be in a slot this week because the seams are there, right, These safeties are not disciplined.
Speaker 1: It you see what I'm saying.
Speaker 8: If you put them on the outside, and you put them on the boundary, why would you want to Why would you want to box him in?
Speaker 1: Don't box him? Man, Hi him space. I'm in the slot, Ceede Lamb on fifty and a Teddy. Oh cook, Oh, I feel dirty, I feel dirty. You gotta call my.
Speaker 3: Wife after this.
Speaker 9: We got a man I kind of liked it.
Speaker 4: Wrong that nothing nothing wrong.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's gonna do it for us?
Speaker 4: Way when wait end the show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we got some stuff because there's no topic that you gotta there's.
Speaker 4: No topic on that one.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: When we come back tomorrow, it will be a say it with your chest for Friday, for the rest of us. Isaiah already got it taken care of today for Patrick No see Walker, Josh Rodriguez, Isaiah stand back, Chris Beam in the back, come Kyle Yeoman saying so long.
Speaker 1: We'll see you tomorrow with more Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 5: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.