Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong and Joe Getty.
Speaker 2: Armstrong and Jetty and Hey.
Speaker 3: Armstrong and Yetty, everything from the war in Iran to the Michael Jackson movie that made so much Moon money over the weekend, to the shooting over the weekend and everything else our own lives.
Speaker 2: Had another run in with a doctor over the weekend. That weird. Is it a California thing or a modern thing or whatever? Anyway, talk about that later. But we're big Ben SaaS fans around here. We have mentioned that many times over the years. I think we interviewed I know we interviewed him at least once.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And before we get to the incredible wisdom and positive vibes of Ben Sass later on the hour, there's going to be something to contrast with, which is the casual embrace of hate and violence in the mainstream left.
Speaker 2: So stay tuned, won't you. Oh boy, we got to get Noah Rothman on because he's got a book about that and he's making the rounds right now from National Review. Ben Sass, I wish I'd known the guy. He's still alive, but he is dying of cancer, and he's a small town Nebraska guy. I'm a small town Kansas guy, and I just I wish I had known him because he's absolutely amazing. He is. He is like what I picture the founding fathers were probably like, if you listened to them talk, Yeah, he'd have made a good founding father. I think yeah, well said yeah, and super smart guy, too good for politics. I was just I was watching the interview last night, and I've thought this many times. I've listened to interviews with him, I've read stuff and we talked to him, and just like, why can't we have more people like this in our politics because they won't take the job I guess most of the time, where they won't say the things you need to say to get elected.
Speaker 4: I think it comes down to what does getting into politics reward and what does it punish? And we get the leader's public servants we deserve because our politics are perverse.
Speaker 2: I retweeted the Ben Sas interview from sixty minutes last night, saying everybody should watch it. Sarah Isger, who I really like, said, haven't seen a conversation like this intellectual, philosophical big picture on TV? In decades. It's incredible. I would agree it was incredible. Let's listen to some of it. Here's Ben SaaS, who's dying of pancreatic cancer, on sixty minutes last night.
Speaker 1: I love America, and I think there's a lot of big and meaty things that we should have been talking about and we still can talk about. And having a terminal diagnosis, is it really that unique.
Speaker 5: We're all always on the clock.
Speaker 1: Some of us have the benefit maybe it's a weird word, but the benefit of knowing our time is finite and defined. Then it becomes an opportunity to talk about bigger stuff.
Speaker 5: And you have focus from that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's weird to be in your early fifties and get a terminal diagnosis and people all of a sudden act like you're ninety three or ninety four and you have a lot of wisdom. I don't know that I have a lot of wisdom, but I have a lot of things that I think we should be reflecting on together.
Speaker 2: Oh, and he lays out some of them right here.
Speaker 1: Neither of these parties really have very big or good ideas about twenty thirty or twenty fifty at a national security level, at a future of work level, at an institution building level.
Speaker 5: The Congress is not wrestling with bigger important questions right now.
Speaker 6: If Congress is looking at the wrong things, what is it missing.
Speaker 1: We are living through a digital revolution, which is both glorious and horrific at the same time, because what the digital revolution does is it accelerates almost everything about the human experience. Anything that can be reduced to a series of steps, which is most economic activity, is going to be routinized and become really really cheap, really fast, and really ubiquitous. We've never lived in a world where twenty two year olds couldn't assume that the work they did they would be able to do until death of retirement. And we're never going to have that world again. And Congress doesn't talk about any of those kind of most fundamental issues. The disruption of work for good and for ill should be front and central.
Speaker 5: Congress doesn't even not to have that conversation.
Speaker 4: It's an enormous conversation. And the small libertarian in me is concerned that Congress will respond by passing gigantic, expensive government programs that will be rife with bloat and fraud.
Speaker 2: I had another point I was going to make. It was actually more positive than that.
Speaker 4: Oh, but there should be thinking before the storm hits, in the same way that a lot of the world health organizations and our health organizations thought a lot about what if there was a giant pandemic, how should we handle it? Then when it hit, they panicked and didn't do any of the things they said they were going to do, which.
Speaker 2: They should have stuck with.
Speaker 4: But a little planning, a little if this then that I think would be really helpful before the AI ending work as we know it thing really manifests.
Speaker 2: Let's start down the road of Ben Saz talking about the role politics should play in our lives.
Speaker 5: What makes you a Republican.
Speaker 1: I'm a Republican because I think the Lincoln Reagan continuum does the best job of building constraint on thinking. Washington is our fundamental political community. I think your fundamental political community is your neighborhood, in your city hall, and maybe even your state legislature. And right now we are sacrificing a lot of our national politics to weird folks who want their main community to be their political tribe at a federal level, and that should be like the ninth thing, or the fifteenth thing you care about, not the first or secon.
Speaker 2: I would agree, weird folks.
Speaker 1: He goes on, It's no secret that the current president and I wrestled on lots and lots of issues. But I don't spend much time commenting on our current politics because I don't really think our current politics are driving what's happening. I think it's mostly an echo of what's happening. I think we have really thin, shallow community right now, and unless people know the thickness of their local community, it's hard to make sense of what national politics are. For I think our national political dysfunction is an echo of larger.
Speaker 2: Problems that's troubling and correct, I believe, and correct and going to be hard to fix in the Internet era.
Speaker 4: Sin shallow connections to our communities that sounds about right.
Speaker 2: And feeling like really really strong connection to whoever is president at the.
Speaker 4: Moment right, and the two camps becoming more and more quasi religious too. In various ways, he got asked about what's conservative or not. Oh, actually, this is a clip they played from so Ben Sass was one of the yes votes to remove Trump from office after January sixth, He was one of the Republicans that voted yes.
Speaker 2: Was there a total of six or seven? Seven? I believe he voted yes to remove him, and he had to explain to his Nebraska voters why he didn't think a lot of the stuff Trump did was conservative.
Speaker 1: Here's some of that personality. Cults aren't conservative. Conspiracy theories aren't conservative. Lying that an election has been stolen. It's not conservative. Acting like politics as a religion, it isn't conservative.
Speaker 2: So I turned some of you off, I'm sure. And then, more importantly to me, his conversation about again people the weird people that want to be in national office.
Speaker 6: Many senators I know would not be able to breathe without that job.
Speaker 5: It would kill them to leave.
Speaker 1: I don't want what you said to be true, but I fear that that is true, and that is a sign of a much, much deeper problem. We got a lot of people who serve in government who really do think the highest and greatest thing you can ever do is have the title senator or congressman. The best thing you can do is be called dad or mom, lover, neighbor, friend, governor, senator.
Speaker 5: House member. It's a great way to serve.
Speaker 1: It should be your eleventh calling or maybe sixth, but never top.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what do you do when your national sport is federal politics and your quasi religion.
Speaker 2: Is federal politics?
Speaker 4: And I can probably come up with a couple of more metaphors because it's morphed into this weird way beyond what politics were ever has been the thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so what what did you you said? Our national religion and uh.
Speaker 4: And uh sports pastime.
Speaker 2: Yeah, our national pastime. It's our number one TV show. The number one TV show in America isn't entertainment Cosby or Seinfeld. It's what did Trump do today? And how we're the good mean things said about him? Yeah, yeah, so it's a it is our pastime, our entertainment. We think the answer to all our problems comes out of Washington, d c. And specifically the president. Yeah, it's it's terrible. It is absolutely trouble and not the way it was designed.
Speaker 4: And I agree with Ben Sass that a lot of the current weirdness we have in politics are a reflection of that. Because again, later in the hour, we're going to get to the casual embrace of like murderous violence on the left and some of the things that have been said recently, and you don't get there.
Speaker 2: That's not one step to get there.
Speaker 4: That's being way down a path that you suddenly embrace somebody who says, we need to have these people's blood, blood running through the streets. We need to slaughter these people people nodding their head. Yeah right, the whole radical chic thing.
Speaker 3: Eh.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure where we go from here. We're not going to play it here. But if you watch the interview, the last part of it is about him being a very bensas, being a very devout Calvinist Reformed Church Calvinist guy, and him talking about what that means to him and how he looks at death and dying through that lens and all that sort of stuff. And then oh my god, the stuff about not getting to walk his daughters down the aisle or being there for his son when he's sixteen, eighteen twenty oof ooh.
Speaker 4: Trying to stay optimistic about that. Yeah, that was very, very, very heavy and emotional.
Speaker 2: At least that was something. But is there is there any way we can break out of this? In the Internet era, you don't raise money with interviews like that as a politician. No, And I've got an extremely provocative philosophical question for you. Do we have time, Yes, we do, ah.
Speaker 4: In a time where mobs are running wild in the streets, will a Ben Sass be heard?
Speaker 2: Can he be heard?
Speaker 3: Or?
Speaker 4: And I know a lot of my younger friends on the right would say, look, I agree with him, But if the Ben Sasses of the world, the political pacifists, will get absolutely bowled over, bowled over, bulldozed by the howling mob. We've got to neutralize their howling mob with ours before we can even hope to have a sane conversation.
Speaker 2: Well, and he and and and a Ben Sass in most districts is not going to lose to a Democrat. You're gonna get primaried on the right right and get and lose. Same with anybody who tries to be anything like Ben SaaS as a Democrat, you're gonna get primary on the left by an AOC or somebody. Yeah, talking about public if you can keep it talking about how evil capitalism and how trumps Hitler. So yeah, I don't know how we break out of that. Couldn't recommend that interview with Ben SaaS, even if you ignore the government stuff and just do the child rearing, how you face death stuff, because it's really good.
Speaker 4: If anybody knows how to fix this, call me at home anytime, night or day, let me know, or drop us a note mail bag at Armstrong and Giddy dot Connau.
Speaker 2: Fax it to the president quickly. I said one to the Michael Jackson movie. I do want to talk about that. We've got lots of stuff to get to. I hope you can stick.
Speaker 5: Around these ideas in my head. Just got to get him out and do it.
Speaker 2: Michael not a little boy anymore. You've also began what's doing with Michael. I knew you were different the moment you were born.
Speaker 5: You have a very special mind. And aso again, I believe the music you could chase the world.
Speaker 2: So that's from the new Michael Jackson movie, which came out Friday, and it's the number one movie at the box office. Made a ton of movie. My son and a couple of his friends went and really really liked it. I had just coincidentally Friday morning, read the review by armand White in the National Review. And I don't know if you know Armand's work, I am usually highly annoyed by it. He gets such a kick out of being the contrary opinion on everything all the time that I often think it's just working way too hard.
Speaker 4: It takes longer to read these damn reviews than it does to watch the movie. But I really liked this one because he uh the the reviewer arm and White laid out how this movie separates the scandal Michael Jackson, the media takedown Michael Jackson, where we all did the thing that we seem to like to do for whatever is like somebody who gets really big, then we all like to turn them down and destroy them. It leaves out to tear them down and destroy them stuff, to just concentrate on the thing that still exists, the rise of a young kid into being the biggest pop superstar of all time and the art around it. And that's what the movie is all about, without the mccaullay culkin sleeping with boys stuff.
Speaker 2: Did you hear the story of how that came to be?
Speaker 4: Though in the movie they it included it, like a third of the movie was the scandal stuff. But then they realized the estate realized that they were bound by confidentiality agreements to never make any money based on earth some settlements. I guess never to make any money on those stories, so they had to reshoot like a third of the movie and it ended up being like a happy act that ended up great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, and I think I'm perfectly fine with it leaving out the scandal stuff. As Armand writes, he says, anyone who's conflicted about separating the art from the artist is ignorant of art and has never had a significant art experience, certainly nothing comparable to the delight MJ brought to the world. Then lists all these songs that he's saying, those unfortunates who pretend moral or political supremacy over human nature should simply stop pretending to engage with any form of art, which I think is pretty good, because if you're going to get into the hole, if you're going to spend all your time on how crazy Van Goh was, or you know, how this person was a this or this person was a that, with all your greatest then you just got to step away from the world of enjoying art.
Speaker 4: I guess for the bombo who ate it in embedded sex trafficking exactly exactly. Yeah, you know, maybe it's because I've been involved in the art since I was a little kid. But for the longest time, I just I figured, Yeah, artists are wacky, and that's that's all I need. Really, It's fine that are they're wacky. They're frequently one sort of wacky or another, but they produce wonderful art.
Speaker 2: So I appreciate the art. Yeah, So it's an interesting idea. He was all the stuff that the movie portrays, absolutely all that, you know, the rise from this and that and the biggest this or that, Absolutely true. Anyways, talented. Sure, it was fun picking. I took my son and we picked up his friends on the other side of town and listened to Michael Jackson songs in the car on the way there, and they were so thrilled and enjoyed the movie and got back in the car when I picked them up, just raving about it. That's good, there's no need. There's nothing wrong with making a movie about the scandal stuff too. But god, we've seen a lot of that is they made it up, you know, as a dad.
Speaker 4: The whole emotional abuse by his dad and how that and his various self image problems kind of ate him up. That's a dark story worth telling too, Just it doesn't need to be in the same movie.
Speaker 2: Though, right, So anyway, Arman says, you're not allowed to engage with in art if you're one of those people. Just kind of a funny thing to say. Lighten up, Francis speaking.
Speaker 5: Of great art, Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 7: I'm pro stealing from big corporations, you know, I'm pro piracy all the way, like across the board.
Speaker 2: We gotta we gotta get back to.
Speaker 7: Cool crimes like that, like you know, bank robberies, chaos, full chaos, let's go.
Speaker 2: I mean, look, so I don't know this guy. You're gonna you're gonna have to fully explain this to me.
Speaker 4: Yeah. That was the voice of Hassan Piker, who was part of the Young Turk's Family that podcast, and he started out on his own Turkish American. He is a Maoist, communist and an Islamist too, and he has become for all of his bizarre extremism, which we will touch on the toast of the quote unquote mainstream. That clip that you heard was from the New York Times podcast where a couple of staff writers were laughing and flirting with the very handsome mister Piker, and he was explaining his ideas, which we touched on last week about how it's perfectly okay to steal from big corporations. We read Nelly Bowles great analysis of how that all ends, and then he gets into the concept of social murder and how corporations, governments, whomever, who have policies that lead to people suffering or maybe even dying, murdering them is absolutely justified. And I quote Ryan Thompson as the United Healthcare CEO was engaging in a tremendous amount of social murder, the systemaized form of violence, the structural violence of property, the for profit paywall system of healthcare in this country, and the consequences that are tremendous amounts of pain, tremendous amounts of death, and essentially, so, yeah, it's absolutely justified to kill. I do not think it was an effective political action. I do think it was an effective act of political consciousness raising the murder of the guy.
Speaker 2: So murders obviously worse than stealing. But he was the is he behind the whole micro looting grab steel lemons from Whole Foods thing?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was part of that conversation. Yeah, exactly, He's one hundred percent in favor of that. And then the fabulous Nelly Bowls of the Free Press is writing about it and talks about how she wishes the days of leftists wanting like your Nordic country socialism would come back, because now the modern left would reject that completely as something close to fascism. And she writes, I swear to God that wanting the Norway sort of progressivism now is considered irredeemably right wing by your average hipster New York Times employee.
Speaker 2: I know these people I work there.
Speaker 4: They genuinely think that having cops arrest a guy waving a knife on the subway is evil. You should stay seated and accept your knife death with dignity, even gratitude. The modern left says that wanting let's say, excellent public schools are cleaned public parks is racism, ableism, sexism, and transphobism. You want a Norwegian style public safety, too bad, you're getting street code.
Speaker 2: Our new laws are just snitches, get stitches.
Speaker 4: And then she gets into and boy, we're gonna quote a number of great thinkers in this segment. She gets into where he says he's fine with setting fire to buildings and collective action blah blah blah. I think people assume Hassan Piker speaking about property owners is joking when he says, kill them, kill those mfors, Murder those mfors in the street, Let the streets, Let the streets soak in their effing red capitalist blood. I think they think it's like goofy kid talk. But a lot of times historically, groups of people have done just that. You think you're exempt from history. You think the Hassan we face this cycle is any different from the Hassans of yesterday, just because he's wearing a button down and this time he's handsome.
Speaker 2: So does he present this in like a comedic way? Because I heard there was laughing there.
Speaker 4: There's laughing during that part, because yeah, he's got a good enough sense of humor. But no, he's absolutely serious about the anarchy stuff and the maoist stuff, because that's crazy.
Speaker 2: That's crazy, dog, Yeah, it absolutely is. Yeah.
Speaker 4: But Nellie, who is very very seen, takes them perfectly seriously, as does Rich Lowry or Jim Garritty rather of the National Review. He's writing about the history of the guy. And you'll have to take my word for it, because this we get a little long. The number of times he has been feted and celebrated and written about and interviewed and cited as a real influential guy by the mainstream Left, The New Yorker, the New York Times. By April of this year, Piker was the subject of his third overwhelmingly positive New York Times profile in six years every other year. So this guy is he's on stage with Bernie Sanders and aoc et cetera, et cetera. This guy is mainstream left. What's that capitalists quote again? Can you hit me with that again about people dying? Yeah, they's something. Uh kill them, Kill those mfors, Murder those mfors in the streets, Let the streets, Let the streets soak in their effing red capitalist blood. That's yeah, that's that's not a joke. And then one more note from the Great Charles C. W. Cook, and he says his lead is clearly that uh Hassan Piker is indeed the enemy. In a rambling group chat that was filmed and transcribed by The New York Times this week, Piker repeatedly made it clear that he is disdainful towards the fundamental rules that keep our society together, Like when Piker defended the murder of the United Healthcare CEO mister Thompson, whom he deemed to have been guilty of quote a tremendous amount of social murder, and suggested that he would happily steal a car if he could get away with it, and laid out a complex framework for when it is acceptable to shoplift when the victim is big corporations, and when it is not when the victim is taxpayer funded with union labor and adjusted prices. Also okay for piker is ip theft, stealing movies, and things like that, to which his interlocutors The Times Najia Spiegelman and New Yorker's Gia Tolentino responded, Wow, that all seems utterly psychotic. Have you considered getting professional health? Ha ha, I'm just kidding in reality. Tolanino responded by explaining that she is opposed to quote profoundly selfish and more collectively destructive actions such as getting iced coffee and plastic cups or flying on airplanes for pleasure, but she supports selfless, moral and collectively constructive actions such as blowing up a pipeline, and Spiegelman responded by saying, I can relate to what you're saying, Gia, it is so hard to live ethically in an unethical society. And then Charles response, is it I confess that I do not find it, so I do not spend my days sitting on sofas pondering aloud whether it be proper to rob the louver. No doubt this makes me some sort of plotting, unfashioned, reactionary. But I'm rather steadfast in the view that the norms that the Times Tree are hoping to dismantle are the core, non negotiable building blocks of our civilization. It's not in fact acceptable to murder people because you think they are social murderers. It's not in fact acceptable to steel cars if you can get away with it, and shoplift.
Speaker 2: And blowing up pipelines and the rest of it.
Speaker 4: This guy and his acolytes are rejecting the very basic building blocks of civilization, even in the name of He is a proud Maoist, by the way he says, so even without the politics of it, though, I just I don't I don't understand how they think it would work, because obviously, if we all stole from the grocery store the way he says, he and his friends do.
Speaker 2: The grocery store would go out of business or close the stores or whatever. Then there'd be no grocery store.
Speaker 4: He would say, no, I'll open a fair priced government grocery store where poor people could eat there for free and people.
Speaker 2: Would pay as they could. And the rest of it. The ability.
Speaker 4: I've been fascinated by this since I was a little kid, the ability of political ideology to turn off people's brains and once they get fired up and are screaming for revolution or change or blood in the streets. I mean, read everything you can about MAO Chairman Mao's Cultural Revolution.
Speaker 2: You just have to.
Speaker 4: Accept that people will commit acts of horrifying evil, including against their own loved ones, if they get fired up about radical politics.
Speaker 2: It's just the way we humans behave.
Speaker 4: But you've got to call guys like this out when they say what they say.
Speaker 2: And that guy over the weekend might be one of those kind of people that got all fired up by radical stuff online that ran into the press dinner.
Speaker 4: I'm almost certainly was yeah, one hundred percent. You know, there are a couple of different like subcategories of these guys. But I loved what Nelly bole said about the Hassan Piker's of the past, They actually did this. What makes you think we're immune from history? And so when you have Nelly Bowles, a woman of the center left San Francisco lesbian, and Charles C. W. Cook is singing from the same hymn book, I think the New York Times ought to wake the f up to what they're promoting.
Speaker 2: It's sick anyway. Yeah, it's pretty troubling that The New York Times is coddling that. I mean they are in they're an important news outlet. Uh yes, yeah, And I think.
Speaker 4: Notable that they had a couple of giggling females clearly enamored with mister Piker and not a real blanking journalist.
Speaker 2: Who said, wait, you're just calling.
Speaker 4: You're calling now for the mass murder of anybody who owns property. By the way, Piker's made a tremendous amount of money preaching this crap. Just an awful human being.
Speaker 2: Boy.
Speaker 4: There seemed to be a lot of them around, and unfortunately you hear from them them. You hear from them courtesy of the internet.
Speaker 2: II karamba. You know Warren Buffett, one of the great investors of all time. One of the richest men in the world. He did an interesting interview over the weekend which he talked about why state lotteries are so unfair to the poor. I agree with him and don't agree with him at the same time. But it's pretty interesting some of the stats if you play scratchers and that sort of stuff.
Speaker 4: Stay tuned, Michael, I think you just asked for You warned us about a different one earlier. But I'm happy. I'm happy to deliver whatever important helpful commercial messages on the schedule.
Speaker 2: This one's definitely helpful. Yeah.
Speaker 4: In Cogny is all about stopping those damn spam call scam tech, sketchy emails and phishing that were all played with every day, because each one starts the same way. Somebody found your data, your number, your address, the rest of it on a data broker site.
Speaker 2: Get it off there. Yeah, we all know that our phone numbers, are addresses, our emails, all our information is floating around out there and stored on a lot of data sites. And in Cogny, this is what they do. They actually contact hundreds of data brokers and legally forced them to remove your information. You're going to say very quickly a reduction in spam called spam emails and text and all that sort of stuff when you start using incognit.
Speaker 4: Yep, signed up. I'm seeing it at work. I'm hoping it continues to work better and better. They can't spam you if they can't find you. And right now get sixty percent off with an exclusive deal at in cognit dot com slash armstrong. That's i ncog ni dot com slash armstrong, take back your privacy in cogni dot com slash armstrong. Warren Buffett says gam legalized gambling is a tax on poor people, and statistically it seems to be true. Whether or not that's something I should worry about it or not is a different topic.
Speaker 2: So we got that coming up.
Speaker 4: There also seems to be a movement toward recognizing Look, these so called prediction markets, scambling casinos, that's all they are.
Speaker 2: And we got to treat them the same. Interesting, Okay, all that on the ways to.
Speaker 1: Hear Birthday this week, but we found out we still use a lot of oil.
Speaker 5: Nobody can afford gas.
Speaker 2: This week Tiger Woods crashed his bicycle. A man. That is a Johnny Carson joke right there. That is what that is. So how do we feel about the woman that after the shooting happened and everybody ran out, she started gathering up wine bottles off the table staunchly pro speaking for myself. So he had two people. You had one guy who sat there and finished either his mashed potatoes or his salad. There's some discrepancy there. But while people were ducking under tables and running out of the room, he just sat there and thought, you know what I paid for this, I'm gonna finish my salad. And one woman that was going around to me and there's nobody here, I'm gonna grab bottles of wine. Go girl, Right, you paid a lot to be there.
Speaker 4: There was wine. Now you gotta leave. Wait a minute, I was counting on a wine buzz this evening. I'm just grabbing me. Somebody is Otherwise, what are they gonna do for it?
Speaker 2: Down the same? Almost certainly we're gonna well the people who work there. I sure I would imagine we're gonna split them up somehow, bus boys and what they won't miss them. Surely took a couple.
Speaker 4: Otherwise, the terrace of one exactly, Michael, get your wine, girl, Well that's what the mashed potato. Guy was thinking, they say they want to die doing something you love. Man, I love these mashed potatoes.
Speaker 2: Well, who knew how long he was sitting there before they got to eat, And now, right, dinner's chaos, so.
Speaker 4: Right, right, you know, right, And initially I guess the gal came out and said, all right, we're gonna resume in half an hour, then quickly said, whoops, no, we're not going to resume at all.
Speaker 2: So yeah, come on, things said, the all bets were off, we'll talk more about this to kick off Hour three. Turned out to be the shooter was a California teacher. Well, I'm shocked by that. You don't expect that out a teaching class in California. So Warren Buffett did a sit down interview first when he's done, since he left Berkshire Hathaway where he was the CEO and became one of the richest men in the world as an investor, anyway, I thought this was interesting what he talked about. He gave, according to Wherever, this interview was the cleanest indictment of legalized gambling in a decade. He called it a tax cut for the wealthy. The math proves him exactly right. Well, that's one way to look at it. It's a tax cut for the wealthy, it's a tax on the poor. If you play, nobody's making you play. The point is that it's mostly people with not money that play. State lotteries, for instance, generate over ninety billion dollars a year. The bottom half of income earners account for roughly seventy percent of the total spend of that gambling. The average lottery player makes thirty eight thousand dollars a year. A household earning twenty thousand dollars a year, which ain't much in the modern world, right, spends three times more on lottery tickets than the household earning thirty thousand dollars a year. Wow, So it's a pretty steady line of h lineup of exponentially the higher. Yes, right, I mean it's thirty thousand dollars year. Household income ain't much, but you're paying all You're spending your money on lottery tickets a lot less than the twenty thousand dollars a year crowd. And I talk about this all the time that when I go to the circle k, which is just happens to be on my commute home where I end up there a lot. I stand in line, and everybody in there who doesn't exactly look like they're well to do is buying cigarettes, energy drinks, and lottery tickets. You don't need any of those. Why are you spending your money on any of those things? Uh?
Speaker 5: Not?
Speaker 2: In none of my business in my world. And less you end up with no money at some point in your life, and you and your crowd demands more taxpayer money, which is exactly what goes on. So then all of a sudden, it is my business and it's worth observing. I think that roughly half of our politics in this country view do you make good decisions? As a question, that's completely out of bounce. All right, get to finish this article right here, or this post. The implicit tax rate, meaning whatever the state keeps after prizes, runs thirty to fifty percent, depending on the game. No other revenue source in America has that base in that rate, and they call that a tax cut for the wealthy. The fact that the poorer you are, the more likely you are wasting your money because it is a waste of money on lottery tickets, something you could decide not to do. That's a tax cut for the wealthy because they're smart enough to not buy lottery tickets.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they don't make the argument or don't need to. Yeah, they're twisting themselves into a delicious rhetorical pretzel. No doubt it. Money is fungible.
Speaker 2: Blah blah blah.
Speaker 4: But I mean, if you're going to talk about the poor people spending money on the lottery, it would be like the seventeenth line item that you know it kind of results in a tax cut for the rich indirectly, and I think I suppose in a way it does.
Speaker 2: But again that's not your lead. That's ridiculous when you have the option to not play the lottery.
Speaker 4: Come on, there are like four Maybe I'll put them together and write a quickie book. Four or five. Just very very simple principles that are undeniable. No philosopher, no great man or woman would ever deny them. But they've gone out of fashion. For instance, if you make good decisions, sound decisions, you will have a better life than if you make poor decisions. So let's talk about what are poor decisions and what are good decisions. A lot of our politics would reject that very framework, which is a recipe for disaster and or communism.
Speaker 2: Well, it's it's again, it's none of my business how anybody else spends their money unless you're getting some of my tax money because of the you need housing, food, whatever, because you don't have any money. You could say to the twenty thousand dollars a year household that's probably buying energy drinks, cigarettes, and lottery tickets that you know, you can buy energy drinks over there by the case and they're like eighty cents a can instead of three dollars a can, and blah blah blah blah blah blah blah if you wanted to, I don't feel like it's any of my business. But again, unless you're getting some of my money, which you are, right right, that's a tough one for a welfare states. That's where it gets very difficult on the you know, the libertarian view of people get to do whatever they want. If you're a welfare state, that falls apart pretty quickly.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, that's that's kind of the claus b of every libertarian argument or really liberty loving argument, is that and since we're all responsibil for ourselves, that you will bear the brunt.
Speaker 2: Of your terrible decisions or waste or whatever.
Speaker 4: But now we've revoked that again because it buys votes, and votes by power, and power gets you money.
Speaker 2: So the want to Be Assassin said some interesting things about the security at the hotel on Saturday. We could discuss, among other things, around that whole incident in hour three plus. I think we're still at war, aren't we? We are? That was forgotten for forty eight hours. If you miss a segment, get the podcast Armstrong and Getty on demand Armstrong and Getty