Speaker 1: Hey, welcome to Weird House Cinema. Rewind. This is Rob Lamb.
Speaker 2: And this is Joe McCormick. And today we're bringing you an older episode of Weird House Cinema. This was our feature on the nineteen seventy seven horror film House. Oh boy, what a good time this was.
Speaker 1: Oh this is one of the towering giants of weird Cinema.
Speaker 2: I don't think there's anything else to say. Let's listen to House.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Stuff to Blow your mind, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: Hey you, welcome to Weird House Cinema.
Speaker 2: My name is Rob Lamb and I am Joe McCormick.
Speaker 1: Today on Weird House Cinema, we're tackling what might be by many measures, I think by my measure, the ultimate Haunted house movie. In another Haunted House property, nineteen seventy one's Hell House, a novel by Richard Mavison. This was later made into the Legend of Hell House in seventy three. There's a description of the Belasco House, this haunted house that's key to the plot, and it's described as quote the mount everest of haunted houses due to the intense sanity warping powers that it holds over anyone who attempts to make it through the night there to complete the journey. Now, there are various great haunted House films out there, and I feel like the best of them excel in connecting with something very ancient in the human psyche, right, the essence of the damned place, a location that is so just fundamentally physically or spiritually polluted that to venture into it, to be there, to take place there, is to just absolutely warp your identity and connection to reality. So there are haunted House movies that tackle this in a very serious fashion, and you might argue that they tackle it more seriously than the movie we're talking about here today, nineteen seventy seven's House. But when the chips are down and House is firing on all cylinders, I think it absolutely delivers on all the goods. It absolutely checks off all the boxes. For my money. Right now, I'm going to say that House is the Mount Everest of Haunted house movies.
Speaker 2: It's got to be up there, and like Mount Everest, it may cause a kind of altitude sickness, maybe a sense of dizziness, a visions of other figures climbing up the mountain with you that may or may not be there. It is a weird, baffling, life changing experience. House is one of the weirdest movies I've ever seen, but that's not an observation unique to me. It is widely regarded as like one of the great weird movies of all time, And yeah, I think it also qualifies in the subgenre of weirdest and most interesting haunted house movies. Though it's different than than a lot of haunted house movies because a lot of haunted house movies, like you're pointing out, are about a house that's been pollute, a house that has been sort of like made into a place of evil because of something evil that happened there, you know, like a person, an evil person does something wicked inside the house, and then that evil infects the house and so forth. But the difference I would point out is that the evil in those cases seems to be spurred by human wrongdoing, and in House nineteen seventy seven, I don't know if I'd say that's the case. Instead, it's hard to say where the evil comes from. The person who occupies the evil. Haunted House doesn't seem to have initially been an evil or bad person, but someone who suffers a kind of unfortunate fate and is transformed by forces unnamed into a type of monster. And in that transformation, it's like the house comes with her, you know, like she in the house urge into one being that is fully just an expression of monstrousness and magical predation.
Speaker 1: It's like tragedy plus time equals house. That's like, you know, like you're saying, she's not an evil person, and she had, she went through a great tragedy, but it's like over time that is like spiritually fermented into this new shape, and that shape is is hungry and in many respects evil.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's a tragedy plus time plus cat equals house because the cat? What is the role of the cat in this movie? Could we last October? Did an episode or a series of episodes about monster cats of Japan that was October, wasn't it?
Speaker 1: I believe it was?
Speaker 2: Yes, Yeah, like the Bakin echo and stuff. There there are a number of different sort of cat ghosts or evil cat monster entities cat yo kai in Japanese lore, and we talked about a few of them, shape shifting cats, cats that the cats that might lurk out in the wilderness and be some kind of monster. I don't know if the cat in this movie is exactly supposed to be supposed to correspond to one of these cat monster archetypes, but what a presence it is. It feels kind of like maybe all of the evil in the movie comes from the cat. And it's not clear where the cat comes from.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the cat is somehow key to it is like a nexus point or a physical incarnation. It's uncertain. I mean as as I feel, like, you know, scary supernatural things should be, they're difficult for us mortals to fathom. But we Yeah, we have this fabulous cat at the center of everything here. And I think it also this is what serves to make House not only a great haunted house movie, but also a great cat movie. Like all the cat stuff is completely on point and very cute, very cute cat, very cute flu fere.
Speaker 2: This movie got me thinking about what it what it is meant to say about a character when a character often has a cat in their lap. So this is the thing. Actually I mostly associate with villains in films like Blowfeld and the James Bond movies. Is this villain who In the early James Bond movies, I think you don't even ever see his face. You just see the lower half of his body. He's a man who's presiding over this evil, shadowy criminal empire known as Specter, and he has all these henchmen going out and doing things for him. But when you see the lower half of his body, he has a fluffy, very flufy white cat in his lap and he pets the cat while you know, demanding updates from his assassins. And then later in the James Bond movies, you do actually see the face of blofeld So. And he's played by various different actors, but in one movie, for example, he's played by Donald Pleasance. And so you know we were sharing before coming in here, like images of Donald Pleasants holding a white cat, much like blanch the cat in house. What does the cat mean? Why is the cat in the villain's lap, and what what associations are we supposed to make from seeing that image?
Speaker 1: I mean, in the case of Blowfeld, I guess kind of you know, it's the idea of like a regal sort of lap creature, but also maybe a commentary on the nature of the cat. You know, the cat has its own air about it. Though it's weird that owning the cat is villainous in these Bond movies, and yet James Bond kicks a cat. I would think that that is me and that's the And also like the forgot was this? I forget which one this was? This may be the one that actually takes place in Japan part in the time anyway, but there's a whole bit where it's like, oh, Blowfeld has a double, which one is a real Blowfeld? Better kick the cat to find out which master it scurries to, And it's like, I don't even know if that would work, Like is that really going to be the cat's number one? Moved like to go back to a safe lap. I think the cat may just go hide under something.
Speaker 2: I think there is something to be signaled about a villain with the cat that it makes them seem more threatening and sinister, the fact that they are ordering up murder of humans at the same time that they're being very gentle and stroking a cat. You know, It's like that contrast of of delicate gentleness and friendliness with one creature but cruelty to another.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that I think that probably sums it up.
Speaker 2: Now. We've talked about House as a as a widely reputed ultimate weird movie. We've talked about it as the mount Everest of haunted house movies. But there's another thing that we haven't really mentioned about it yet, which I think is key to understanding what it is, which is the childlike logic that operates in House. It is different from a lot of horror movies. And I somehow connect this to the fact that, say, the House doesn't have a standard backstory of like human evil drawing in demons and wicked spirits. Instead, it feels like the the evil that infects the house just sort of totally unexplainable and random, something that comes in and strikes and infects the house and the occupant of the house from outside.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: That seems much more in line with the way that children imagine evil spirits. You know, you don't need that like backstory of it being caused by someone's human wicked choices. Instead, it's just it comes out of nowhere and it's scary and it doesn't even need to be explained.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is a very important aspect of House, and we're going to be talking about Nubuhiko Obayashi, the director, who is also an actor in it and a producer and director of special effects. But famously this like the key aspects of this film were inspired by conversations he had with his daughter, who I believe was ten at the age, Chigumi Obayashi, where he would come to her and like, well, what what what do you find scary?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 1: Tell me what fry? What would be I think he also said like, hey, if daddy were to make a movie, what kind of things would you want to be in it? And so she came up with these various ideas that were all based on just this child's eye view of the world, like, for instance, so one particular thing. We'll probably run through most of them. But there's a scary clock in the movie, and according to her on the Criterion collection disc of this film, there's an interview with her and her father from several years back, and she says that there was this there was this point where they were staying at this house in the country, you know, a family house, and there was a big clock in the hallway and she would have to cross by it in the night in order to go to the bathroom and she was frightened by the clock, you know. And so it's the kind of thing like humans are generally not frightened by big, dusty clocks and houses, but children can be. And so the beauty of this film, One of the beautiful things about this film is that he took these ideas from his daughter and then you know, added a little more traditional ghost story structure to it and handed it off to the screenwriter. But yet it still retains these very childlike views of fear and threat and then sort of translates them to a certain extent into a wider understanding for you know, any viewer, they may watch it. You don't have to be a child to feel the fear of this clock.
Speaker 2: There is a young person's creativity in the way some of the scary images in the movie are conjured, so like making connections that an adult might not normally make, but then also a kind of a young person's fearlessness in deciding what is scary. So there is a scene in the movie where a character is fatally attacked by pillows and mattresses that fall from the ceiling. I think that is an image that if an adult were to come up with it, they might think, no, that's silly, that's not scary. That doesn't work. It just doesn't fit the language of what is a threat in horror movies. But I think I read this idea also came from from the director's daughter. You know, she was afraid of like being attacked by mattresses from the sky, and in the movie it they just they just do it. That's a scene.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I think she mentioned in the interview that it came from or maybe your father did that. It came in part from going out to the countryside and having to sleep on futons and then fold them up during the day, and as a child, like the futon is so big and it's kind of heavy, and it's kind of falling on you, so it kind of feeds into this idea.
Speaker 2: I never would have thought of that, but yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that's that's really the beauty of it. Like, these are all things that grown ups would not have thought of. They come from the mind of children, and the child's mind is capable of such wonders and such horrors. You know that. It's one of the joys of parenthood is getting to to be on the receiving end of so many wild and creative ideas that they just come up with on their own, you know, because they have to this innate creativity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to see to see the wild mental leaps and the strange connections that a young brain makes that you just you're seeing into something that your brain may once have been capable of but is no longer like the pruning has cut you off from from that kind of connection across mental distance.
Speaker 1: So this, again, this is a huge part of the film. We'll keep coming back to this as we discuss the making of the film and also get into the plot. But yeah, I'm glad that we're finally covering House. It's a film that has been on the Weird House Cinema list for I mean really since the beginning. I mean that's just if when you think of weird films and you get into listings of weird films, it's always up there. There's a poster or or a recreation of the poster for this film in the the front window of Videodrome, the movie rental place here in Atlanta. So you know, it's always been on the list, and today we're finally talking about it. I guess I'm gonna stick with the Mount everest of Hunted House Films for my elevator pitch. Do you have any anything to add to that?
Speaker 2: Joe Worst Summer vacation ever. Seven high school friends go out for a leisurely visit to a countryside manor somewhere in Japan and get eaten by various household appliances.
Speaker 1: All right, well, let's go ahead and listen to at least part of the trailer audio here. I'm not sure it necessarily makes sense to listen to the whole thing, but we definitely want to get just a little taste of that music, a little taste, especially of the title. So let's have a listen. See that squin I see in your Rise where tomorrow as Hi, my heart as a bell, ringing blow at the touch of the leans down the.
Speaker 2: Rainbow, come slide with loud row, skateball and as they got clo.
Speaker 1: Cocaaia cosa. Oh all right now, if you want to run out and watch House before we get into any further discussion here, well, lucky for you, House is widely available in pretty much any format you might desire here in the States. You can currently stream it on Max unless I think it's still there It's also available on Blu Ray and DVD from the Criterion Collection. And that's how I watched it. I rented it from Videodrome and watched it on Blu Ray. And I'll refer back to some of the special features as we perceive. All Right, Well, let's get into the people who made this film, starting once more at the top with Nuwahiko Obayashi again director. He also plays husband in this producer, director of special effects. He lived nineteen thirty eight through twenty twenty. He was a Japanese director, screenwriter, and editor known for his work in experimental cinema of the nineteen sixties TV commercials, reportedly by the thousands and often involving the sort of Western celebrity appearances that were parodied in two thousand and threes lost in translation.
Speaker 2: Okay, so where you might have like a celebrity famous in English language movies and TV come in and kind of deliver some strange, out of context lines for a soda commercial in Japan or something exactly.
Speaker 1: And if you look up at images of him, you'll find a lot of old images of him, like standing around with various celebrities from the West. Now, this film nineteen seventy Seven's House was his first feature film and intentionally off kilter, highly weird, experimental horror comedy. I guess you might call it, but you can describe it many other ways as well. Initially didn't land all that well with especially the Japanese critics and in the industry, but it's going developed a cult following in Japan and abroad, and today it's celebrated as just a complete cinematic freak out and stands tall amid the pantheon of global psychatronics cinema.
Speaker 2: As long as you're sticking to coherent narrative films, it is one of the weirdest ever made.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I do want to stress that it. Yeah, it does have a plot that you can follow. It's not one of these You can definitely describe it as art house to a certain extent. Ty West the horror director, has a little bit on the Criterion collection disc where he talks about it being an art horror film, which he says, you see little of these days, in part because studios want to bring ironically someone in from the commercial world to direct a very cookie cutter horror film that kind of matches up with the style of everything else and doesn't stand out. But you do still see some art horror films like Slip Through, and there's some great examples of that for sure, But yeah, this is a very artistic vision here. Well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think horror films are often thought of as a cash grab, and in many cases they are because horror films are, for the most part, relatively cheap to make, and they tend to gross a lot more than their budgets. But you know, something that might be true of a lot of entries in a genre is of course never true of all right.
Speaker 1: Right, So again, there's a great interview with Obayashi and his daughter on the Criterion collection disc and I highly recommend folks to check that out. But because it also has a lot of interesting stills, behind the scenes photos and so forth, And they run through several aspects of the making of and the reception of the film, and I just want to go through a few things that really stood out to me and I think are important for understanding how this film came together and then how it was interpreted. So he says that at the time, so we would be dealing with I think at the time, like mid seventies Japan. He said that cinema was pretty much in decline, in that young people did not go to them movies. TV was what was really in and even his daughter, who would apparently go with him to the theater all the time, would comment that Japanese films were boring, Like when he asked her what kind of film Shouldaddy make, she would be like, Oh, don't make a movie, Daddy, Japanese films are boring. So a lot of what he's doing is definitely trying to create something different, something new.
Speaker 2: Bummer shut down by your child.
Speaker 1: But he says that a lot of aspiring filmmakers at the time, like himself, didn't want to do commercials, but he thought differently. He seems to have thought differently about a lot of things. He points out that the big thing is there was money in commercials, and the key here is not that you would make a lot of money, and I think that may have also been true, but more to the point, you could actually work with a budget. So again, like the Japanese cinematic world, according to him, was sort of shrinking at the time. You couldn't get these big budgets, but you could go into doing these commercials and there was money there. He says that ultimately the content might be meaningless, but you could experiment, you could chase the visual expression of the thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you see a lot of directors who eventually end up making movies in all cultures. It's an American cinema two that you know, they start in commercials and also music videos. That used to be a big thing because it was a place to just like work on techniques. You know, whatever the actual content is, you're just experimenting with ways of showing things and learning the craft that way. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, He speaks in the interview of turning experimentation into expression, and that really seems to have been a big part of his IMO at the time. Certainly in the production of House, which didn't even have any storyboards. They intentionally they did not do storyboards for it. They would just try things out and just like throw everything against the wall and see what they could get. I believe it's Tie West and the extra that points out that, like they use just basically every in camera technique imaginable film.
Speaker 2: That makes sense because I would say that the visual style of the finished product is incredibly chaotic. There are just tons of different techniques on display, sometimes seemingly at random. I want to talk about this later when we get into discussing the plot, the sometimes the violation of cinematic norms that takes place throughout the movie, but also in terms of special effects, in terms of editing techniques, like it all just is just crazy different visual stuff happening all the time that does not feel part of an attempt to select a particular visual texture that like a lot of films do, Like they just have totally different looking effects and styles happening back to back.
Speaker 1: Yeah. He mentions like having great admiration for filmmakers like Krosawa, but then also wondering what would irritate Carrossow, pursuing that line of thinking, that's great. So anyway, Toho Studios famously was inspired by Jaws for this one. This is often just thrown out there. It's like this was this was an attempt to catch it on Jows. Well sort of kind of, at least from Toho's position. Established studio again realizes they need to they need to do something fresh, and they look over and they say, oh, well, this Steven Spielberg guy just made like this enormously successful shark movie, huge hit from the mind of a young emerging talent. Let's get one of those young emerging talents and get them to make us a Jaws.
Speaker 2: And of course, Jaws did lead to numerous ripoffs and copycats in the American market and all around the world. I mean, you can find the Italian Jaws ripoffs, American Jaws ripoffs, they're they're popping off all over the place. Jaws made a lot of money, and much like when Star Wars made a lot of money, it spawned an endless series of copycats. So did Jaws. So you would get Jaws with a bear Jaws. Other people would just do shark you know, shark copycat movies, Jaws with a killer whale. Uh, there are so many of these.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And Obiasci points out that that's how the grown up mind works, especially like the corporate mind is. Like shark attack films are in, let's do a bear attack. Let's do it, you know whatever, animal attack. And that's the reason he turned to his ten year old daughter for this fresh inspiration, like what what does she want me to make a movie about? And so she gives him this list of ideas. He adds this, you know, basic ghost story premise because he says, you can't have the house eating people for no reason. It's got to be a story reason. And then he hands this off to the screenwriter and they have a script.
Speaker 2: In a way, it's so beautiful just to imagine taking all of your, like your kid's weirdest, most messed up ideas and just saying that's gonna it's in the movie. In the style of the Key and Peel sketch for Gremlins too, It's just very much it's in the movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So it's impressive that the screenplay was green lit by Toho. They're like, all right, let's do it. But there was still apparently a long run up to actually shooting the movie. I think it was like a couple of years. And so during this time they produced and sold the soundtrack, They produced and sold a novelation, there was a radio play of it. I was really surprised by all of this. I'm often not cute into all of the gears of getting you know, the film from the screenplay stage to the production and release stage, but you know, it sounds like Obyashi put a lot of effort in just like all right, let's do all these things. Sort of to ensure that Toho keeps it greenlit and and knows that it's coming. He talks about like printing up business cards with the movie poster on it and handing them out and saying Toho is making this movie, TOAs making this movie, and so forth. And I also have to to say that, like in the interview and the various photos, it's like it's very clear that Obyashi was a very flashy, very creative, you know again it's experimental and establishment bucking young director, but also one who seemed to be very personable with cast and crew, to the point that he has shares this story about how the lighting team ends up really coming around to him because he addressed them by their names, and they this had never happened before in the production of Toho films. They were just they were never addressed by name, and like, so he brought an entirely different vibe to the production. And he also says that he made a point of wearing a different outfit every day in order to sort of keep the vibe up. So there are all these interesting photos of him in various flashy outfits. He's often got sunglasses on, very hip hoocking dude.
Speaker 2: I think I read something about how in order to get people in the feeling of a scene in the movie, he would like play music while they were shooting.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, it would kind of like, I think, dance with everyone, that sort of thing. Now. Obyashi was born in Hiroshima, and all of his childhood friends, he says, died as a result of the bombing, and he also makes a point of of, you know, pointing out that he incorporates elements of this into this picture as well into the anti war themes and other movies that he would go on to direct. So he speaks of the in this interview, he talked about the youth in this film. The Seven Girls, as we'll get into that are a key. So he was about forty at the time, and he talks about like the young people being too young to really know what war is and as a result to fully appreciate the joy of peace. And I thought this was really interesting. I have to hear this after watching the film, because yeah, you think about the tension in this movie that's president most harror movies, like the space between and leading up to the horrible things, and there is like this unnatural, almost sickeningly sweet aspect to the sweetness, like it's artificial sweetener leading up to those moments that you know were coming. And it absolutely works in house like it like I felt myself, you know, you know, getting chill bumps because I knew something terrible was going to happen, which I have to say wasn't what I quite expected from the movie. Like I was expecting you know, psychotronic weirdness and craziness and and all that, and I didn't really expect the scary parts to be scary or to feel that the tension leading.
Speaker 2: Up to them. Yeah, well, there is a I would say this movie is almost always in some ways trying to subvert its own tone. So there are scenes that are very ominous in what's happening, or they're conveying dark or sad or scary information. And a lot of these scenes will have things about like the sights and sounds of the scene that are lighthearted and funny, like it'll play jolly, sort of happy music while something really sad or scary is happening. And then it'll do the opposite too, something very light hearted is happening on screen, but there will be things about it that make it very ominous and unsettling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, absolutely. Now, as mentioned earlier, critics hated it at the time, many didn't even review it, and those that did often were just very savage about it all. But is he stressed in the interview, young people loved it. He says like, like ten through thirteen were the ages of people that were going out and seeing this movie.
Speaker 2: And too young for this movie. I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 1: We had an off mike discussion like when is the appropriate age to see House? And I I haven't no answers, but hard to say ten to thirteen. I guess at least in the late seventies in Japan. But anyway, Yeah, young people loved it, made it a success in a way, kind of to the disappointment of the studio establishment. And then ultimately some of the people who loved it were future filmmakers. The people who loved it were future film critics, and so it would eventually be held up as one of the great Japanese horror movies and ultimately, like we've been saying, one of the great weird films of global cinema. So, Obiyoshi, you've followed up House with a long filmography that ultimately broadened his mainstream appeal, including several less nutty coming of age movies, but he didn't abandon horror. His subsequent movies also include nineteen eighty two's Cute Devil, nineteen eighty three's Legend of the Cat Monster, nineteen eighty sevens The Forbidden Classroom, and nineteen eighty eight's The Discarnates. The same year as House, in seventy seventy, also made The Visitor in the Eye. This was a live action manga adaptation, and his twenty seventeen anti war film Hanagatami was actually forty years in the making. He was actually working on the script for that film with the screenwriter Katsura right before House. His last film was twenty nineteen's Labyrinth of Cinema, and again. He died in twenty twenty. Now his daughter is Chigumi Ogashi. She actually appears in the movie. She's the shoe store girl.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah. There's a scene outside like a cobbler's shop, shoemaker shop, and there is an old man and the girl like hammering on some shoe soles. I think, I think this is where mister Togo, the teacher in the movie it's a bucket stuck on his butt and has to go to the hospital.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in one of the goof here, just like Monty python S sequences that occur in the film. Yeah, it's just complete nuttiness, complete slapstick Charlie Chaplin esque and then some I guess ye, but yeah, keep a lookout for her.
Speaker 2: And bucket butt scene is Yeah, it's powerful.
Speaker 1: Almost as good as the banana scene. Later on, we'll get to that, okay, and then the screenplay proper I mentioned Katsura. This is Chiho Katsura, who lived nineteen twenty nine through twenty twenty so. He was a Japanese screenwriter, novelist, translator, and film critic whose work, based on what I could see of his available filmography, included a great deal of Japanese pink he erotic films, but he also worked in other genres, including at least a couple of family films. He worked with Obashi on several mainstream films, including again twenty seventeen's Hanaga Tommy. All right, but now we should mentioned that really on the acting front, we have seven core characters. These are the seven girls. Their names are gorgeous kung Fu Fantasy prof or Professor Mac, which is short for stomach because she likes food.
Speaker 2: Oh I didn't, I didn't get Mac.
Speaker 1: It took a while for me to put that together. Okay, Mac, Melody, and sweet, and they are all exactly what their names imply.
Speaker 2: Right, So they're named after their trades. So Gorgeous is supposed to be beautiful. Kung Fu is the jock of the group. She can like she can do sports and kung fu, and she's very decisive and active. Fantasy is a day dreamer. She's Gorgeous's best friend, and she likes to I don't know, she's often daydreaming, though most of the things in the movie where it's like is she daydreaming? No, they're actually happening. Prof is very smart and logical, and she often has a book in her hand. Mac is always hungry to a ridiculous extent, Like I think literally every single line she says in the movie is like I am eating now, yummy, you know, I want I want a watermelon.
Speaker 1: She just has a great metabolism, though I have to stress, like, it's not like she's overweight or depicted as such, Like she just is hungry all the time.
Speaker 2: Mac Mac loves food and Melody loves music. She plays the guitar. I think we see her with a violin case, and she plays the piano. There's a there's a very unfortunate piano scene where she gets her fingers bitten off. And then there is Sweet, who is You might think Sweet is the one who is into desserts, but no, that's Mac. Sweet is named so because she is friendly and like gentle and kind.
Speaker 1: But yeah, still, it's kind of like the Seven Dwarfs, right, Like their names, yeah tell you who they are for the most part, except what is Doc. Yeah, I don't know what Doc Steal is, But yeah, these these gals names all make sense. And and apparently the number seven was was important Togo actually because like teams of seven are or were common in Japan. Now. In casting the Seven Girls, he says that, like he pretty much depended on just casting girls that he'd worked with in his commercial work, so a lot of them were, you know, models with very limited acting experience. There's basically basically gorgeous. I think it's the only one who had had an acting career that was already like emotion, but it was still still very early. So he but he says, like this is also an important part of the vibe, Like the acting from these girls is kind of amateurish and it doesn't feel polished or professional, but that, like other aspects of the film are intentional, Like that's part of the intended fabric of the thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there are scenes in the movie that have an almost sketch comedy kind to feel, if you know what I mean, Like characters kind of like stumbling over each other with their lines, talking over other people's lines, and like sometimes maybe it seems like they're improvising, but it is clearly part of the fabric of the movie. It's what they're trying to create. I think somehow it simultaneously makes the movie funnier but also makes the characters somehow feel more vulnerable when they are threatened by the evil magic of the house.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely, and in a way that maybe comparable to how sometimes your b horror movies are more terrifying, in that they feel more like it's documentary footage, you know, like they're not actors, and it can, Yeah, it can sort of warp your expectations and experience of watching it. So anyway, I'm not going to list all seven actresses who play the seven Girls. A lot of them again were new to acting and didn't necessary, you know, stick around for more acting or maybe only have a handful of credits. But the key exception is the actor who plays Gorgeous. This is Kamiko Ikigami born nineteen fifty nine, American born Japanese actress. She'd been acting for a few years at this point, having made her TV and film debuts in seventy five. Her subsequent films include nineteen seventy nine's The Man Who Stole the Sun, The Acclaim, nineteen eighty three drama Yokiro, for which she was nominated for a Japanese Academy Award, and nineteen ninety three's Lone Wolf and Cub The Final Conflict.
Speaker 2: Now, the seven main girls are sort of an ensemble of heroes, but I'd say there I'd also say there are sort of two main protagonists of the movie, and that is Gorgeous, but also her best friend Fantasy.
Speaker 1: Fantasy, Yeah, Fantasy is very key. Komiko Oba born nineteen sixty plays this role. I'm also a huge fan of kung Fu. I thought Mickey Jimbo born nineteen sixty was great in this.
Speaker 2: Ooh, you're so cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she is so cool, and she can kick ghosts.
Speaker 2: She can, she does. In fact, she can kick ghosts even without her head attached to her body.
Speaker 1: But ultimately, yeah, it's an ensemble and all the girls are great. They're all wonderful. I love their caricatures. It's fabulous. Yeah, but again, most of them didn't have a lot of acting experience.
Speaker 2: Really.
Speaker 1: The most established actor in the whole mix is the actor playing the Auntie who they are visiting. Often credit is Auntie Carrie House, so I guess her last name is House anyway, played by Yoko Minamita. She lived nineteen thirty three through two thousand and nine, a Japanese actress, best known for this film, at least internationally, but with credits going back to nineteen fifty two. So she was a very established actor, but at the time, according to the director, had trouble getting work in cinema, befitting her status and her talent. Again, so like cinema seemed to be down at the time in Japan, so but it was it was still it was a big deal that she took this role, not only because she had such she was an established star, but Also, it was key that she took the role of an older woman, according to Obyashi, because in Japanese cinema, certainly at the time and maybe still this is still the case, there was no going back for an actor or actress once you took an older person's role. Apparently it wasn't this wasn't even necessarily like a double standard for women, as men also couldn't keep playing younger characters as they aged.
Speaker 2: If like they had taken a role previously in which it was acknowledged they were playing an older character.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like, once you take that older lady role, it's like that's it. Now, now you play old ladies. There's no sort of like midpoint where you can kind of play both roles. But I have to say, she's tremendous in this.
Speaker 2: Oh, she's so good. She's so crazy. Yes, there's a really great scene where she's eating some food I don't remember what she's she's munching on something and then just kind of like pops her mouth open and yeah, she has an eyeball that lives in her mouth and she kind of looks around at people with it and then closes her mouth like te.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there are times where she breaks the fourth wall, and I mean you just kind of expect her to craw out of the television at you at that point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's great.
Speaker 1: And really the only other main actor I would want to mention is the cat and or cats. We don't know how many cats played Blanche. You know, often you have multiple cats in a role. But really, for the most part, I was just struck by what a great feline performance this is. Feline actors are notoriously difficult to work with, and even in the best of cat related movies, often look like they really would prefer to be out of the shot and are more interested in like scurrying off screen.
Speaker 2: We were looking at some of those Blowfeld shots where the cat looks like it's trying to be somewhere else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's a lot of that obvious working with cats is difficult, but there are plenty of shots in this film where yeah, it's like Blanche just looks like she's completely at ease.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 1: Beautiful cat too, absolutely beautiful white cat, very.
Speaker 2: Fluffy love Blanche. Hey, you didn't mention him, but there. You also had a credit note for the guy who like operates the Ramen stand.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, the guy credited as Ramen Trucker is a Sraman trucker trucker. I yeah, okay, so maybe I don't know if this is the I'm not sure exactly where he shows up. But this is a guy named Shiochi Heroes who lived nineteen Eighteeneen through nineteen ninety. Just a bit player in a one time stunt man. But he played King Kong in nineteen sixty three. He's King Kong versus Godzilla.
Speaker 2: So he's the guy, you don't there's a scene where mister Togo, he's supposed to be coming to He doesn't know that they're in trouble, but he they're waiting, the girls are waiting for him to come to the rescue at the house. And then we cut away to him and he's like at a Ramen card eating Ramen. And this is the guy I guess operating the Ramen cart. I believe, so yeah, And we see him like stuff a huge mass of noodles into his mouth and then grin at the camera with the noodles in his mouth.
Speaker 1: Yes, all right, now come into the music. The music is important in house. A's say. Kobyashi has the composer credit. He lived nineteen thirty three through twenty twenty one Japanese composer in and occasional actor, and in fact he is in this acting as well as the watermelon salesman.
Speaker 2: That is an insanely weird role to go to somebody who's not primarily an actor, like that is a weird, weird role.
Speaker 1: It is very memorable. Apparently it took some convincing to bring him onto the project, but Obyashi was insistent that look, a ghost story needs the sweetest, most beautiful music in order to land properly, and that's why I need you on the picture. And he was like, okay, okay, I'll do but I also want to act in it. I'll do it. But then he was like, you know, you really need some youthful energy in this as well. So it's like, I'll work on these themes and all, but I think you should also bring in this Japanese rock band so that they can like recreate some of these themes and breathe additional life into the picture. And that is where the rock band Godaigo comes into the picture here. So this is a Japanese rock band, I believe named after the ninety sixth Emperor of Japan. They were mostly active in the seventies and eighties, but I think are still around to varying degrees, like I see him doing press and all. They were notable for supplying the music for the Japanese TV series Monkey and This, by the way, is the Japanese TV adaptation of the Chinese novel of Journey into the West that I think. Actually, it also got some air outside of Japan, like I think I've read that it aired in Australia, for example, so a lot of people even outside of Japan have fun memory of this show. And also I believe there is a scene in the movie where we see the band just hanging around. There's like five of them, and two of them I think two of them are Americans.
Speaker 2: Hmmm. Okay, I vaguely recalled this happening, but I don't remember when in the movie it is. Maybe it'll be in my plot notes here.
Speaker 1: I think it might be in one of those sort of Sesame Street esque sequences where we see this kind of like idealistic town. Okay, yeah, but anyway, these are the folks involved in the music, and the music in house is absolutely bonkers, bordering on and seemingly just intentionally irritating at times even bordering on madness and yeah, and other times just super sweet or happy, go lucky or loaded with this kind of resilient seventies hippie vibes, you know, like the hippie dream is degraded, but the music is really insistent that it's still going.
Speaker 2: There are like pop rock anthems that feel very strange for the for what's going on with the scene. There is a main theme that I assume was composed by by Kobayashi. I don't know for sure, but the main house theme that just plays over and over and over in all these different ways, and that you know, the dun Dun dundune, it like takes on a kind of evil magic of its own. It's like the it's like the music is in some way responsible for the wicked magic that is taking place on screen.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and on that note, let's get into the wicked magic of House.
Speaker 2: I love the animated title at the beginning, so there's like, of course we get the Toho logo, but then there's like a blue box on a black background with pink and green text inside it that says a movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Ob Yashi says that this was key because he had to remind everyone, this is the essence of cinema. You can't dismiss it. This is a movie.
Speaker 2: I admit it. I admit it.
Speaker 1: It's a movie. But it's kind of telling because I think, like some of the critics were like, this is not a movie, this is just a series of commercials, this is excrement, and so like even from the get go, he's like, this is a movie. I believe in the vision.
Speaker 2: So after it says a movie, we see some like little white blobs jiggling like jello in space, and then the little white jello smudges turn into letters that spell house in English, and then the letters pop and a voice comes on and says.
Speaker 1: Howse Obayashi also stresses that giving a Japanese film a foreign language title, which is the case here, like the Japanese title for House is house. He says, this simply was not done at the time. It was really kind of taboo, and so he had to do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was wondering what the cultural significance is of using English specifically. Now I know, in say, if it's an English language movie, you might have a title in another language that signals some thing For example, I think of a horror movie called Oculus. You know, that's like a Latin title that I don't know. Something about using Latin in your title suggests kind of antiquity, something that is ancient and maybe kind of foreign and scary. I don't know what the connotations of using English specifically in your title would be here. But when I first saw the movie, I didn't even think about it.
Speaker 1: I didn't either, But yeah, he points out that, yeah, people hated this idea, so you shouldn't do it. This isn't done. But like I say, he bucks those trends. So he's like, yeah, I'm gonna call it house, but we're not done with the credit sequence. Credit sequence gets keeps getting more amazing.
Speaker 2: So yeah, then you've got like the white Jello house. And then the O in house grows teeth and turns red, and then a woman screams. Then the teeth turn into red lipstick lips, and then the lipstick lips open to reveal shark teeth and an eyeball in the back of the throat, and then a piano starts linking on the soundtrack, and then the O lips bite down on they bite down on something and then they spit out a severed human hand, and then we finally cut to the action, and what we see at first is a woman filmed behind what looks like a green filter, and she's wearing a white sheet like a hooded cloak, and she is surrounded by what looks like beakers and glass chemistry equipment, but also candles in ornate holders, so it's a very weird shot. And then in a reverse shot, we see a girl in school uniform taking her photo. She gives a thumbs up, she says okay, and then the girl in the photo throws off her cloak and walks to the window of the room and we sort of zoom out of the frame within the picture to just be to just see one picture now. And this other girl is also in a school uniform, so she had like a costume on. And these are our two of our main characters, I would say the two most important of our characters, Gorgeous and Fantasy. Gorgeous was the one who was posing in the photo with the cloak over head, and Fantasy was the one taking the photo. And they're talking about how summer vacation is coming up, and Gorgeous is going to spend summer vacation at the Fabulous Villa owned by her fabulous dad, which is in Karuizawa. And I looked this up because I didn't know. Karuizawa is a mountain resort town that has long been a popular summer travel destination in Japan and for international visitors as well. It seems like it's kind of a beautiful forested mountain environment that gets like a nice cool weather in the summer, and like people travel from all over to go there. We also learned that Gorgeous's father has been away in Italy and he is supposed to be coming back tomorrow. A later scene reveals that Gorgeous's father is a film composer, and that he is a rich and successful film composer, and he's been away working for somebody named Leoni, who says that her father's music is better than Morricone's. So I guess he they they're saying he's working for Sergio Leoni.
Speaker 1: All right, sounds good, I'll buy it.
Speaker 2: I wonder what went into that decision. Why anyway, let's see. Oh, but we also learned that so Gorgeous is going to the villa and Fantasy and their other five friends. The six girls together are going to go to some kind of camp for the summer. They're going to a camp by the seaside that is run by the sister of their teacher, mister Togo. So it's mister Togo's sisters in kind of complicated yeah, but ultimately unimportant, right because they don't go there. So Gorgeous and Fantasy are best friends and they kind of tease each other. Fantasy Gorgeous teases Fantasy for having a crush on mister Togo. Fantasy teases Gorgeous for looking like a witch in a horror movie when she was dressed up in the in the cloak in the picture. They have a conversation with their Jim teacher, who is a currently getting married to mister Togo. I think, yes, yes, Okay. Then there's kind of a montage of Fantasy and Gorgeous being best friends. There are a lot of montages in this movie. Now, while this movie represents a lot of kind of lighthearted scenes of you know, just like teenagers being friends, there it also represents I think a lot of the dark side and frustration of being a young person. And so there's a scene where, like Gorgeous goes home to meet her father and he's home earlier than expected, so at first she's very happy to see him. It seems they have a good relationship, but we learn that Gorgeous' mom died eight years ago and today her father has some news he needs to share. A woman enters the frame at the house in a flowing white dress with a silk scarf blowing in the breeze, and her presence feels very almost ethereal. There's kind of a diaphanous quality to the way she's represented on film whenever we see her. And this character is named Rioko Emma, and the father informs Gorgeous that she is going to be your mom now, and he says several things to kind of try to soften the news. I guess he's like, she's surprisingly good at cooking and other things too. You won't have to mend my shirts anymore. But we can just see that is like not the kind of appeal that Gorgeous wants to hear. Gorgeous is hurt by this because it seems that she hasn't really properly grieved for her mother's death, even though it was a long time ago, and she's not ready to accept a new member of the family.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, this portion of the film reminds me a little bit of what we'd get later in Jim Henson's Labyrinth, you know, with Sarah and sort of you know, the young woman's angst and so forth, and I imagine you see that in a lot of other movies as well. But the other thing, the main thing I want to stress is that I think it's essential to note that this is, in many respects the most normal part of the film. Right, this is the real world set up to the speculative elements to come. So it would be the most boring part of your average cookie cutter horror movie. And yet in house it's full of experimentals and varied film techniques. I especially love the shooting through a kind of what is it like a glass mirror lattice work?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, very weird. And also I would say it is strange in how fearless it is in depicting the intense emotions of a teenager. So like after this interaction where she has she has this bad reaction to meeting Rioko, gorgeous goes back to her room, which is crazy, by the way, it has like purple walls with huge flowers painted all over them, and she like, you know, she's got a piano in her room. Uh, and she and she weirdly like suddenly seems very at peace in her room despite having just run away from this family news that caused her so much distress. But then she is acting kind of like silly and dreamy, and she speaks to a framed portrait of her mom and goes through a box of old family photos, remembering like good times with her father, when he was proud of her, when she wanted a sports competition. And then she's just shown drawing x's over her dad's face in the photos and saying, I'll bully dad. I hate him.
Speaker 1: Wow. Yeah, it's a time of intense emotions.
Speaker 2: But also in the sequence she remembers her mom, she remembers her in a bridal costume, similar to how she cloaked herself in the in the Chemistry Lab photo earlier. Actually, and in she sees sort of a picture of her mother with her auntie, and she says, I wonder how auntie is. The auntie in the photo is somehow kind of animated, even though she's in a still photograph, and she is holding a white cat.
Speaker 1: Oh, that'll be important.
Speaker 2: Also here we should mention just that the presence of music in this movie does not feel like no, I mean all movie. Most movies have music, but the presence of music in this movie does not feel normal. There's kind of a constant soundtrack playing running under nearly every scene that makes everything feel like a monta or a flashback or something.
Speaker 1: That's a great point. And then there are choices made later on, like visually stylistically that also give you that feel. Is this the present? Is this the past? What's going on?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Now, next, at school, we meet our gang of student heroines, and again they're each named for something about them. Again, they are gorgeous, her best friend Fantasy, who's always daydreaming. Prof who wears glasses, is a nerd. She's logical, she has a book, Melody who's holding a guitar and loves music, Mac who loves food and is shown with a donut, Sweet who is very nice and friendly. And Kung Fu, who is the jock and does martial arts. When we first meet her, she jumps up and karate chops of volleyball that is flying toward the group, and everybody says you're so cool, kung Fu. Also, when we first meet them, it's just a weird scene. They're like they're in a school courtyard and there are just bubbles floating through the air. Also, there is a in the school courtyard with a copy of the Venus de Milo in the middle of it, like the armless you know venus just there.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So they're talking about how they're all about to go on vacation to the you know, the seaside inn of mister Togo's sister for ten days, and they're bummed because Gorgeous can't go with them. She's going to the country with her dad instead. But mister Togo shows up in this weird tiny car and he's like, bad news, my sister's gonna have a baby. We cannot go vacationing by the sea. But I was just thinking, did he not know this was going to happen?
Speaker 1: I know she didn't get a lot of advanced notice from the sister. I guess yeah.
Speaker 2: And the girls bully mister Togo for this. I think he says, don't bully me. But there's a new plan. Gorgeous suggests that they all come to her Auntie's house in her mom's old hometown. And so we see Gorgeous writing a letter to her aunt informing her that all of her friends are coming, and she says, I know we've only met once. Please don't think I'm strange. Is the aunt going to think you're strange? Gorgeous, I don't know this aunt. Yeah, but she says, you know, she wants to spend time with her aunt like she used to spend with her mom. Somewhere around here, she just happens to run into a fluffy white cat, and she says, cute kitty, where are you from?
Speaker 1: And instantly adopts the cat.
Speaker 2: Yaw. The cat is part of the yes and named it Blanche. So Blanche is the name of the white cat. We see it sitting on top of the mailbox outside Gorgeous's apartment, and she gets a letter back from her aunt saying, oh, yes, come see me and bring all your friends. So we know Gorgeous is going to go visit her aunt and take all her friends with her. And we also here get a scene of Rioko, Gorgeous's dad's new wife, announcing her plan to go later go after Gorgeous and her friends go to the aunt's house she's going to go there and meet her so that she can get to know her and talk to her one on one. She says, this is my first trial in becoming her mother. And again she's got this scarf on her neck blowing in the wind in a way that makes it I don't know, it just looks kind of doomed or vulnerable somehow, like someone it's suggesting like a grabbing of her by the neck or something. Yeah. Yeah, Oh, And then the very next scene we get is so off the wall. It's this crazy musical number outside a cobbler's workshop. There's a guy working on shoes with a pipe and a cap. There's a young lady in the leather apron. This is the director's daughter. There's a donkey in the background or maybe a miniature pony. Uh, and yeah, it's just nuts. So like mister Togo comes down to this scene but like falls down the stairs and gets a metal bucket stuck on his butt and announces he will have to go to the hospital for his butt bucket.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this scene is yeah, it has strong sesame street vibes. And then it goes into just utter ridiculous slapstick territory. It's in many ways, yeah, out of keeping with the tone so far, but also perfectly in line with the tone of house. Yep, it's hard to describe.
Speaker 2: There's a child drumming on mister Togo's bucket while he's on the phone.
Speaker 1: This would seem to be aggravating the condition, or I don't know, I'm relieving it. I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: So without mister I guess mister Togo was going to accompany them somehow, I didn't fully understand this.
Speaker 1: He was gonna be chaperone.
Speaker 2: I okay, he's going to chaperone this trip to the ant's house, I guess. But so instead they have to go without him. So the girls are at a train station and they're getting on the train and they're like, oh, who are all these cowboys and rock stars? Or actually no, they don't comment on it. I'm just wondering. There's Yeah, the train is full of Oh maybe this is where we see Godaigo. I don't know. But there are cowboys, there are nuns, there are sailors. The train is full of all different kinds. Oh, el Topo's on there, I think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's like this vision of I don't know, like a very non conformist Japanese society. I don't know what it is, like why they're cowboys getting off these trains.
Speaker 2: And blanches on the train too. They let cats on this train. Somebody while they're traveling with the cats just happens to say, any old cat can open a door, only a witch cat can close a door.
Speaker 1: Ah, that'll be key. And also, if you haven't guessed already, this is definitely a witch cat.
Speaker 2: Now Here, we get some backstory that's very important to the film, but I want to stress how strange the delivery of this character information is so Gorgeous starts explaining to her friends that her aunt and her mother they were sisters and they loved each other very much, and Gorgeous once traveled with her mother to meet her aunt when she was six, but she hasn't seen her since. And then like a film strip starts and again I want to say, there's no way I could identify that they could be watching a film strip on the train. But we're watching a film strip with like CPA tones, and it's like the girls are watching it too, and they're sort of riffing on what happens in the film. So as we see this stuff. I guess gorgeous narrates, I think, or somebody narrates A long time ago, Japan was in a big war. This is Auntie's house. Her late father was a doctor. This is my grandma, this is my mom. Isn't she cute? And then one says she looks like you? And then we see the ant and her fiance, and her fiance is a very dashing young man. One of the friends calls out, he's so handsome. They say he was a doctor and he was going to run the local hospital. And the friends asked, you mean they didn't get married, and she says, no, they couldn't get married because of the war. So we learned that her auntie's fiance gets drafted to serve in World War two, but he makes a pinky promise that he will come back, and she promises to wait for him, and we see the auntie and her fiance kiss, and then he has to go away to war, and then the film burns up and someone shouts a kiss of fire.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's such a strange and wonderful energy to this part of the film, with the optimistic and youthful responses to this story. They're being presented with and the way they're riffing on it, So you know, they're amazing and they're to be envied because they see mostly the beauty and the romance in this story and they feel it intensely, and they're not you know, it's not like they don't understand the tragedy, but and they're not getting the tragedy, but they can't fully understand it, and or their understanding of the tragedy is overpowered by their youthful enthusiasm for the romantic elements of the tale.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, that's exactly right. But then the backstory goes on. So after the Kiss of Fire, we learned that her fiance never returns from the war. We see him revealed sitting in an almost comical looking in how strange it is. He's like shown sitting in the cockpit of a crashing airplane, just expressionless as the airplane goes down. And then we later see after the war, Gorgeous's mom marrying her father, posing for the photo that we saw earlier. So she's in her wedding garments and the auntie is beside her holding her white cat, looking unhappy and unfulfilled. After this gorgeous, explains that her aunt has been living alone in the house for many years and that she gives piano lessons to the neighbors for money. And then somehow suddenly they are on a bus instead of a train. Just a abrupt transition, the bus stops, the girls get off, and they are in a cartoon landscape. So they cross these different types of backgrounds, a valley with mountains, a cable bridge spanning a wide rocky stream. There's a path through a forest where sweets. She's afraid of ghosts. Prof says ghosts don't exist, and Kung Fu implies that she will use martial arts on any ghosts that appear. Perfect. Also through this whole track, Mac is just relentlessly announcing the consumption of food, just yelling like, yummy, this tastes good. One of the last things before they get to the house is the watermelon vendor scene, which is tremendous. They come across like a watermelon stand and they remove a watermelon from the shelf of the stand, and then behind the watermelon is the face of the vendor which is shaped, which is very round and shaped like a watermelon, making this bizarre expression, and then he comes out and acts bizarre at them. I don't know how to Rob, how would you describe this encounter.
Speaker 1: It's mad cap for sure, yea. And I guess it is worth noting that at heart, this is a very that this is certainly a hard trope, like this is the guy that on the way to the haunted place, whose role is to either say, don't you go to that haunted place, or as we see here commenting after the kids have gone, I can't believe they're going to that haunted place. He fulfills that role while also being this wacky character who is selling watermelons.
Speaker 2: So the girls go on up to the house and it's on top of a hill with walls grown over by vines. They're owls diving around in the middle of the day, and the gates creak open for them. Blanche runs inside and Gorgeous's aunt greets them. She is seated in a wheelchair, her hair has turned white, and she wears these cool Ringo Star sunglasses and she's holding the cat now. And I just want to point out it's like the girls, as far as I could tell, there was no point at which they question this cat magic. Oh Blanche, the cat was Auntie's cat, and it came to fetch gorgeous in the city. And now they're all here, and that's just not remarked upon.
Speaker 1: No, they just roll with it completely. This is the cat who lives here. I don't know where the ca that traveled with us went. This is this is Blanche.
Speaker 2: Also, one of them tries to take a picture and Blanch the cat shoots green rays out of her eyes. This will not be the last time Blanche shoots green laser laser beams out of her eyes. But it makes the camera fly in the air and smash on the ground, and one of the girls yells sexy.
Speaker 1: I need to point out that even when Blanche is not necessarily on screen, even when Blanche is not necessarily doing that creepy green eye sparkle thing, we often just get random meals in the soundtrack of the film, which just keeps you on edge and like somehow keeps the weirdness level up. No matter what's happening, you're just gonna get some randomyows in there and eventually musical meals.
Speaker 2: That's all right, Like now mix the thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Also, I should mention even though they didn't buy a watermelon from the watermelon stand in the previous scene. Suddenly Max shows up with a huge watermelon and her friends accuse her of stealing it, which he's like.
Speaker 1: I paid for it, and I trust Mac. I don't think Mac would steal.
Speaker 2: I don't think Mac would steel. She paid for it. She's got some watermelon money in her wallet specifically for an occasion like this. So they go inside the house and they learned that Antie can make her lights come on by talking to them. That's cool, m h. And they're like sort of having a they're getting a tour of the place, and the chandelier attacks them. It drops crystal shards that impale a lizard on the floor, and then it starts dropping more crystal shards, but Kung Fu flies in the air and attacks the shards.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then Blanche eats one of the lizards.
Speaker 2: Okay, And then Melody the musical friend is told about a grand piano in the house and she goes to play, but like when she gets to it's strapped with cobwebs. They remark that there are so many pictures of the cat in the house.
Speaker 1: And there are indeed so many pictures of the cat it's a constant delight to see all of the Blanche are the Blanche iconography, as well as the various incarnation of this cat in this house.
Speaker 2: There's so many weird things in the house that we can't even We're going to reach a point where we're going to have to stop doing a sort of one of this minute plot recap and get just focus on some specific things. But like one thing is they find a skeleton in the house, and they're like, oh, yeah, grandfather used to treat patients in this room.
Speaker 1: Will this skeleton eventually dance randomly of its own power?
Speaker 2: Yes, it will perhaps, Yeah, And Auntie explains how she used to give piano lessons, but you know, nobody comes here anymore. So she's been very lonely all these years. But now that she has all these girls in the house, she is very glad. Something a little ominous about the way in which she expresses her gladness. So they decide to help Antie out around the house, and they split up the jobs. Of course, Mac is going to do the cooking and Sweet offers to do the cleaning. There is a moment in here where they're like moving around the house and somebody gets a cat thrown at them from off screen. I think it's Anti.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think the cat quote unquote umps into Anti's lap, but clearly if there was somebody just out of the shot gently throwing the cat into her lap.
Speaker 2: Just riding around getting cats thrown at her, talking to her appliances and furniture. At some point, we learn that Mac wants to chill the watermelon in the fridge, but the fridge doesn't work, so Anti suggests they put it down the well, which they do and just randomly somewhere around here, Anti looks at Mac and says, Mac, you sure look tasty. Now, this is just one place to mention. I could have said it earlier. I could have said it at any point. There is a very chaotic editing and transition style to this movie. The rhythm of cuts and the way one shot transitions to another. These things do not feel normal for Japanese cinema, or for any cinema that I know of, So I don't think it's a cultural thing. I think it is a unique, too house thing, just one example among many many weird things. There are sudden cross dissolves, you know where like so it'll kind of like fade out and then fade back in on something on the screen, and normally in a movie that indicates a transition forward in time, but here the movie uses cross dissolves when the action seems to be totally continuous, same time in place.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's one of the many things that makes viewing this film feel very psychedelic. It feels like some sort of sort of an altered experience.
Speaker 2: It's violating like norms of cinematic storytelling that you don't even normally think of, that you wouldn't usually notice our norms, and like you only notice them once somebody does them differently than they're usually done.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Like I say, he's all about bucking the trends and same way he can do to irritate Kirosawa.
Speaker 2: Okay, So, so we're about to get to a scene, the watermelon Head scene, which I think a lot of critics and film historians people who celebrate this movie have sort of noted as a transition point in the film that like things take on, just that things just get different starting at what's about to happen. And so I think this should also be the point where we stop trying to recount what happens, just moment by moment, because it would be crazy and impossible to do here. But to begin, we're going to talk about the watermelon head scene. So after supper Mac disappears, she says she's going to go get the watermelon out of the well, and she doesn't come back after a while, and so Fantasy goes to look for her, and out in the garden by the well, there's a beautiful multicolor sunset. There's soft focus on the camera, like we are within a day dream, which kind of makes sense because this is Fantasy going to do this. She daydreams a lot, though it's strange because this is definitely really happening. So it's almost like even Fantasy's regular life is like a day dream. You know, it's using the cinematic conventions of showing a dream.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like we're in a really nice yogurt commercial or something, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. And so Fantasy starts pulling up the watermelon from the well. It's tied to a rope and she retrieves it and it's, you know, it's a round thing. But then she turns it over and realizes, oh, this is not a watermelon. It's Max's head and mac now has sort of blue skin like a vampire and I think fangs.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, and it's alive or undead or something, and it's it's horrifying. It's quite frightening. And the build up to it has been exceptional, like everything's just super sweet again, yogurt commercial, yogurt commercial, and then just absolute horror.
Speaker 2: The head talks and then it starts flying around in the air, and then it bites Fantasy on the butt, and then it vomits blood and then it goes back down in the well. Excellent, what a roller coaster. Yeah, So Fantasy goes back and reports what happened, and her friends go to see the head, but when they get there, there is no head to be found. It's only a regular old watermelon, which they decide to eat. Also, Auntie is here, and she like she stands up right out of her wheelchair and explains, you girls gave me energy, and then grins into the camera while eating a slice of watermelon. Also, this is the scene where she sort of shows off to Fantasy and I think nobody else that she does have a third eyeball inside her mouth.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, all's a wonderfully creepy sequence.
Speaker 2: So there's all kinds of just like little little vignettes of the various characters getting freaked out by stuff. So like Sweet is cleaning the floors as she gets lured to a room with a doll that has green laser eyes like blanch does, and it whispers her name. Gorgeous is taking a bath and she gets creeped on by like wet black hair that comes up from some unknown creature out of the waters, horrifying kung Fu in a much funnier sequence, is attacked by flying wooden logs like she's splitting wood, and then the logs start attack her and she defeats them with karate chops. Yeah, there's one point here where Auntie says She's like, one time I was excited to go to a restaurant in town, and now I'm excited like that again. And then she climbs inside the refrigerator and disappears.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, this sequence is so creepy. It's shot in a way in such a way that the other characters in the room with her don't see her suddenly go into the refrigerator, but we do. And then I think she re emerges in the foreground of the shot and may break the fourth wall here. I can't recall specifically, but she does break the fourth wall at various points, as if to say, like, yeah, it's me, Auntie, I'm gonna eat these kids.
Speaker 2: Yep, yep, dancing with the skeleton, eating a severed hand, dropping a fried fish into a fish bowl and it comes back to life. I think we see her dancing in the rafters of the house.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: There's also a sequence where Melody the musical friend goes to play the piano again, and she of course plays the house theme, you know, the Maybe we can get a little sample of that, because you got to know what it sounds like. Sometime around here, while like you know, Melody's playing the piano and stuff, gorgeous sort of what would you say happens to her. She kind of gets possessed by the house. She's like looking in the mirror and she starts putting on her aunt's makeup, and she sees herself as her aunt with fangs and like like she's looking in a mirror and the mirror shatters, and then Gorgeous's actual face shatters, revealing animated fire inside. I think the ghosts have taken her over.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a It's another fabulous sequence. This one I think was inspired by just the director's daughter saying, hey, what if my reflection attacked me, wouldn't that be scary? And of course they've taken that in a applied you know, the ghost story logic to it, and yeah, absolutely wonderful.
Speaker 2: Somewhere around here is also the scene we talked about earlier where their friend's sweet she's been cleaning the house up. She gets attacked by falling pillows and sentient mattresses from heaven and seemingly killed and then also maybe transformed into a large doll by the evil possessed mattresses. There's one part around here where somebody imagines Togo, a mister Togo, their teacher, as like a prince on a white horse. They're like, he's coming, he'll be here, He's gonna save us. But it's so funny every time they're like these repeated cuts back to whatever mister Togo is doing. I think he is trying to find them, but he never does. They show him like stuck in traffic in this incredibly tiny like what is this car of his? Is it like some kind of dune buggy or.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but yeah, he's he's trying to find them. He's having no luck, and spoiler is eventually turned into a pile of bananas.
Speaker 2: God, that's a crazy seat. Well, okay, we should just say what happens in that scene. Then this is a little bit later, so we're jumping around in time. But eventually mister Togo he stops for rama and he eats ramen. At this Ramen card, we see him driving around in the woods at night like a complete bumpkin and just trying to like find the house and being like, there's no house here, And then I guess he eventually does get close because he meets the watermelon vendor, which we know is just down the hill from the house. Mister Togo goes up to the watermelon vendor and says, do you know where the house is? The house? Watermelon vendor says, the girls they were eaten. Do you like watermelons? Mister Togo says no, watermelon vendor says what. Then he says bananas. Watermelon vendor collapses into a pile of bones, his skull floats and then emids smoke, and then mister Togo runs away screaming banana banana, and then later it is revealed that by the morning he has transformed into a pile of ben in as inside his car.
Speaker 1: Yes, that is what happens, and I don't know what it means how it really factors into the rest of the plot, but I guess defies to say he was unsuccessful in being the white Night for the Smoothie.
Speaker 2: Now, all this while the girls are trapped in the house. They try to escape, but they've been like locked in. They try to call for help, but there's just like weird stuff going on on the phone. Melody is attacked by the piano while playing it, so she's like playing the house theme, and then the piano suddenly bites all of her fingers off, and then it proceeds to eat her whole body in this mind rending cartoon musical number where the piano is like chomping on her and there are like various human organs and body parts just sticking out all over it, like you know, like a leg hanging out of a monster's mouth. And then Melody is also still laughing as she's being devoured. Yeah, absolutely delirious, Yeah gorgeous. Now sort of possessed by the evil ghost magic of the house is dressed up like a pale bride. In fact, I think she's supposed to look like her mother. She's sort of become her mother in a way, but she's also become her aunt, and we see her sort of moving around accompanied by Prof and Kung Fu. At some point here, Prof gets absorbed by reading this book that I think is the aunt's diary. It's a book that contains lore, and through reading this book, Prof will get more of the backstory that explains what happened at the house. Oh but meanwhile she's Prof is like looking at this book and just yelling like unscientific, illogical. At the same time, Kung Fu is staring into this giant steampunk grandfather clock and sees an undead version of Sweet inside it, and the clock is reeking rivulets of blood down its glass front.
Speaker 1: This is probably a good point, is any to mention that Oh yash she again was the head of special effects on this film, and said in the interview that, like, they actually could have used Toho's in house special effects people who were quite good. You know, they'd worked on various pictures, Godzilla movies and so forth. But he said they didn't want to go that route because they didn't want the special effects to be too believable, like they needed to have a certain unreality to them, and I guess even an enhanced unreality.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, I mean the clock scene looks very frightening and looks great. There are other parts that don't look realistic at all, but I love the style. There is one part where after Melody gets eaten by the piano, we just see severed, bloody, disembodied fingers playing the piano and still playing the house theme.
Speaker 1: Except meal style. Right, This is when it starts being like a meal.
Speaker 2: Oh, I think that's right. Yeah, yeah. We learn more from the Diary of gorgeouses on. We learned that, you know, she was waiting for her fiance to come home from the war in denial that he had died. And she mentions that all of the young girls in the town are gone now and she is all alone. Hmmm. And then suddenly, while they're like reading this learning about it, a giant head bursts into the room with them, and it is the head of Gorgeous and she says, I'm in my aunt's world now, and then she morphs into a giant pair of lips, and one of the girls yells huge lips, and the lips revealed that Auntie actually died many years ago, and she became after she died, and she became a jealous, vengeful ghost. I think the idea is she so longed for her fiance, she wanted to marry him and couldn't accept that he had died in the war. So now instead she is this vengeful ghost that eats all of the unmarried girls who come to her house. So I think the suggestion is this may have been what happened to all of the girls in town who are getting piano lessons, just one by one. Yeah, And she says that when she eats them is the only time that she can wear her bridle gown. And then she says, now it's your turn, just let me eat you.
Speaker 1: So yes, at this point that, like the poster art has come to get, the promise is fulfilled. House is a house that eats people.
Speaker 2: So there's a bunch more stuff that happens. The girls are attacked by various flying household objects. I do you want to emphasize the house theme and how much it is like just the objects one would find in a domestic residence are all turned evil in the movie. Everything that would be in a house, appliances, furniture, just household items are all now monsters that attack the girls.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean we've talked about this un stuff to blow your mind before, some of these ideas about house significantly old household objects can kind of become animated and so forth. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So, while they're being attacked by the house prof at some point that in order to escape they must destroy Blanch the Cat, or perhaps destroy an image of an image of Blanch the Cat which is on the wall, and so Kung Fu is like, right, got my orders, and she tries to carry out this attack on the image of the cat, but she is in turn attacked by an overhead lamp, which latches onto her skull and electrocutes her, and then like the lamp seems to suck Kung Fu into a psychic vortex where she perceives floating, rotating body parts and hears the voices of her dead friends. But somehow she snaps out of this vortex and the upper half of her body seems to have been destroyed, but her disembodied legs fly out of the lamp and kick the image of the cat on the wall, which vomits blood and freaks out and leaps up in pain, which in turn causes Gorgeous to gush blood and scream like a vampire dowsed in holy water.
Speaker 1: And when the cat leaps up, it's kind of like animated lightning cat. It's really all this has to be seen to be understood. We can describe it to you, but you just have to experience it. It's even crazier than we made it sound here. It's also like, yes, there's lots of blood going on here, but it's also and it is gory. But I don't want to like oversell that and say, like, oh, this is just a real gorefest. It's not. Because it's so weird and there is this unreality to the effects. It exists in its own dimension.
Speaker 2: It's hard to describe what comes next. There's a lot of like there's like cat images vomiting blood, lots of things vomiting blood. People drowning in blood, yeah, floating on blood, floating. There's all this blood. And then finally it seems that all of the girls are devoured by the house and that Gorgeous is something altered. She is somehow merged with Auntie and whatever comfort you know she offers to her friends is a prelude to eating yourself. So they weird to understand that all of the girls are have their souls eaten by the house. But then, oh man, the movie has such a stinger. The next day. Remember remember Gorgeous's new step mom Rioko.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's scarf.
Speaker 2: Yeah, with the scarf she's driving through the country or scarf blowing in the wind. She said she was going to go to the house to uh, to catch up with Gorgeous, you know, to get.
Speaker 1: To know her.
Speaker 2: Uh. And she she comes to no, wait maybe she wait do we learn whether she and the father had actually gotten married yet? I think maybe they had not. I think they were going to get married.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think this is still like she's like, I'm gonna go patch things up with her, you know beforehand.
Speaker 2: Yes. Uh. So she she's driving through the country, she finds the house. She walks by the watermelon stand where we see mister Togo has turned into bananas. Uh. And then she goes up to the ant's house. This bittersweet kind of beatlesy pop song is played. She wanders through the garden and it's very dreamlike and ethereal. And she meets Gorgeous at the house and is invited inside, and she asks, Gorgeous, where are your friends? And Gorgeous says, they're still sleeping, but they'll be up soon when they're hungry. They get up when they're hungry, and then Rioko bursts into flames.
Speaker 1: Amazing, just absolutely amazing, like legitimately creepy and amazing.
Speaker 2: Oh and then there's like a monologue at the end, which I feel like I should just relate. I don't see exactly how it connects, but it says, even after the flesh perishes, one can live in the hearts of others, together with the feelings one has for them. Therefore, the story of love must be told many times so that the spirits of lovers may live forever, forever, the one thing that never perishes. The only promise is love.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't fully understand. It reminds me a little bit of the how on the nineties Outer Limits. You'll have the narration voice come on at the end, and something up in ways that sometimes feel a little disconnected from what you just watched. But I don't know, maybe something's lost in translation here. Or maybe it is, like so much of this film intended to be a bit off kilter and intended to make you scratch your head.
Speaker 2: So that's how again. Truly one of the weirdest films ever made, widely recognized as such, and I have to concur with that opinion. It is there's not really anything like it.
Speaker 1: Agreed, it is a masterpiece. This is a masterpiece of weird cinema. Highly recommend it again. Luckily, it's pretty easy to get your hands on if you're interested in watching it, and it's definitely worth watching it. I mean, have it on in the background if nothing else, but I think you'll be sucked in. It's hard to casually watch this movie. I watched it by myself and I kept catching myself like making faces, you know, like my jaw literally dropping at some of the sequences.
Speaker 2: It's like a dream that a cat had about being a human.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it might be. It's as good of an explanation as any Well, there you have a house. It's great to have finally discussed this film on Weird House Cinema. I felt like it was faded to happen at some point or another, and we hadn't covered a Japanese film and a spell there, so it was good to cover another one here. Obviously, we'd love to hear from everyone out there. Do you have thoughts on House, memories of seeing it for the first time, hearing about it for the first time? Writ in, We would love to hear from you. As always, will remind you that Stuff to Blow Your Mind is primarily a science podcast with core episodes and the Stuff to Blow your Mind podcast feed on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but on Fridays we set aside most serious concerns to just talk about a weird film on Weird House Cinema. Go to letterbox dot com. That's l E T T e r box d dot com. Look us up. Our username is weird House. We have all the movies we've covered listed there, and sometimes you can get a peek ahead at what's coming up next. Also, hey, if you just want to support the show, we'll go ahead and hammer this home again. One of the best things you can do is wherever you get your podcast, make sure you have subscribed and that you're receiving downloads. That helps us out, that keeps the show alive.
Speaker 2: Here's thanks, as always to our excellent audio producer Jjposway. If you would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or any other, to suggest a topic for the future, or just to say hello, you can email us at contact at stuff to Blow your Mind dot com.
Speaker 3: Stuff to Blow Your Mind is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.