Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to the Spirited Actor Podcast with me Tracy Moore. I was a casting director for film and TV and commercials for over thirty years. I transitioned to a celebrity acting coach after I cast a film New Jersey Drive with executive producers Spike Lee and director Nick Domez. I auditioned every rapper from Biggie Smalls to Tupac, and I realized that rappers and musical artists they needed help transitioning to acting. My clients consist of musical artists from Buster Rhymes to Eve, Missy Elliott, Angela Yee from The Breakfast Club, and Vanessa Simmons, to name a few. I also coach sports stars and host as well. I feel I have the best of both worlds. As a casting director, I know exactly what they're looking for, and as an acting coach, I can coach you to be remembered in that room. Now I know, I know actors want to get the job. I get that, but being remembered by casting director that is powerful.
Speaker 2: And now it's time for meditation of the day.
Speaker 1: The heart is wiser than the intellect Joshua Gilbert Holland. So one of the things that I wanted to tell you guys, is that we need to trust ourselves more. We need to trust our own opinion based before we trust other people's opinion.
Speaker 2: We will cross the.
Speaker 1: Street on a green light, and we will trust that every single driver behind that vehicle, which can be a weapon. Sometimes we will trust that they will stop and allow us to cross the street, but we won't trust our instincts on a move that we should make for ourselves. The only opinion that matters in your life is the opinion that you have of yourself. Your opinion becomes the foundation of every other belief, every other anything that you are building your character from comes from that foundation. Let that foundation be trusting of yourself. When you learn to trust yourself, you learn the freedom in which you have. Today, I will embrace the truth that we are here to choose and to have choices that are for the betterment of me. Before we get started, I'd like to remind everyone to look out for my new show, Inside the Black Box. I'll be co hosting with the great Joe Morton. We'll be on Crackle Network real soon. I'll keep you posted. Welcome to the Spirited Actor Podcast with me Tracy Moore, I am so excited about our guests today. He is, and I hope he knows this because I know so many actors that it's really challenging for me to like communicate to.
Speaker 2: Them, you know, all the time.
Speaker 1: However, I hope he knows that he's one of my favorite actors and I've had a pleasure of watching his journey and I want to.
Speaker 2: Continue on this series so to.
Speaker 1: Speak, that we've been on since last week about talking about the journey of an actor. And this is an actor, a working actor, a passionate actor, a dedicated actor, and I want to talk about his resilience and persistence because he has gotten the bulk of his work on his own.
Speaker 2: So there are ways out there.
Speaker 1: Ladies and gentlemen, stop complaining, stop judging, and get your treasure chest together, because he's about to drop some diamonds, emeralds, pearls, Ladies and gentlemen. I want to stand up for actor, author, producer, so many other faiths.
Speaker 2: Mister jamel Hower, thank you, thank.
Speaker 3: You, thank you, and man, it's such an honor to be on the show, and I appreciate you bringing beyond and the connection is always magnetic, you know, so amazing, so amazing. I appreciate you so much. Bill.
Speaker 1: Yesterday, you guys, I had the pleasure of talking to him, which I thought. I was like, oh, I'll call him. You know, we're going to talk for a minute. I did not want to get off phard with him. I was like, wait, let me save some of this for tomorrow. But more importantly, like, that's how I know that. I you know, I have a connection with actors because I'm genuinely invested so many things, so many magnificent credits that you have. I want to start at the beginning, and I ask you, guys this question, did acting choose you or did you choose acting?
Speaker 3: I'm going I'm gonna say it chose me. I started off in music where I was an artist and I didn't really know the business, so I was, you know, they were kind of taking advantage of me. At the time, I had got a record deal, uh with Warner and I didn't even know. They took the money and I didn't even know, and so they had Meanwhile, I was still struggling out, you know, I was, I wasn't making no money. And I met a guy when I was opening up for Fat Joe the rapper on the show. I met a guy backstage that said, hey, you know, you gotta you know. We talked for a while and he was like, you got a good look and you got some good character, man, you should try to give the acting thing a shot. And I was like, I never thought about that, you know. And then one day I was in the city and I seen an open audition back in the day when they.
Speaker 2: Still who's but we were still alive.
Speaker 3: Right, you know, everything was live and you can get people faced, and you know, man, it was an open audition for a Burger King commercial. Uh huh. And I just said, let me give this a shot. You know. The guy put the thing in my ears. I was like, let me, let me try this. And I walked in there and when I walked out, they was like, hey, come back in here, come back in there. You booked it. They want to they want to tell I was like, what, And I booked it. And that's how it chose end up choosing me.
Speaker 1: You know, working with musical artists, I always feel that it's a natural transition inside of you guys, because you tell a story through song, you know, and and the advantage correct me if I'm wrong But the advantage that I feel like you have as a musical artist compared to someone who is is starting down the business aspiring is that you and even working actors, you hear the music.
Speaker 2: In the words.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, so you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: So that to me, that's on a connection.
Speaker 1: That's something that has to be taught right, especially in comedy, because comedy.
Speaker 2: Is about rhythm and boom and rhythm boom.
Speaker 1: Right, so there's a certain pacing and then dramatic. So I think that the fact that you have that ability takes it to me in a different level because when you approach words, you know how things are supposed to sound and the rhythm, so it's more of an understanding for you when you and.
Speaker 2: You connect to both. Come on, that's why you got a resume.
Speaker 4: Everybody go to.
Speaker 2: IMDb dot com right now, That's.
Speaker 3: Why you got a rhythm And it's you know, it's it's multidimensional, you know, because you're looking from my you know, from my background with the music. It does give you an extra tool because you're looking at I come, take a sentence and my imagination create a whole song off of a city from a movie. Ye, So it gives you a different dimension to it. And then there's the other dimension of it, Like you said, the sound frequency, house things sound and it's important, and those two things are actually when I got into science, I've realized that those two things are actually what the universe is made. That's it. It's the whole universe is frequency, you know, and it's important. And I'm learning how to piece those things together. Yeah, it's shaped my whole career for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's why, like to me as a captain director, that's why your work stands out. You know, there was a point in everybody's career when you would say, oh, you know, somebody can say, oh, Jaelle, you remind me of such and such a actor, right It's like, well, but I'm Jamel Howard right now, It's like people say, you remind me of Jamel Howard, you know what I mean. So, but you have crafted that uniqueness of your own. And I'm gonna tell you, like, from the day on I met you, knew of you. I was like leading man, leading man, leading man.
Speaker 2: But dot dot dot mystery. You know what I'm saying. I don't know if I trust you one hundred percent.
Speaker 3: Right off the bag, Like you got you've got some other things to add.
Speaker 1: To I'm gonna saying, which is great because that's engaging to watch those characters, you know what. It's just I mean, and you know what I think that like, let's talk about that first project for you, because this I love when you guys have that moment where you knew, you know, the perform to this safe.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah. That moment came later in the career. That was more like the purge for me. I believe it was like, uh, I feel like I'm comfortable and you know, and then I was pressed with a challenge because the director was changing up things. You know, he was changing things up quick, like listen, switching that up. You gotta be this is gonna be this. The script is gonna be this, and we're going to go to blocking in a few hours. I'm like, you know, and get to blocking and they like, you know, let's read over. We were going over it, and then I'm like, no, I don't remember it, so I'm still on paper and the director graw He's like, hey, listen, Universal is right here and Blumhouses right here, and you should get this together right now. He said, challenge, and I accepted the challenge. I was like you, when when you say action, don't worry about it right right now. But when you say action, don't worry about it. And when we got to that scene and that was the scene where the ice cream truck blew up, and then he called me, yo, Zoe, we need you over here. And I went over there and I'm looking at the dead bodies and I'm giving him all the four one one on the bodies that it flowed so effortlessly because I start to look at and absorbed the actual character and I am his right hand man. I'm the knowledge guy. I'm the guy that knows who these gang guys are. I'm the guy, and I just accepted it, you know, like they need me right And that part changed my you know, changed my view of my perception of acting in a hole because just just accepting that I belong here, you know, it's that's when you arrive. It's like I belong to the next to this guy, and this guy now like I'm here, you know. So that was the big moment for me.
Speaker 1: So let me ask you, because I know I'm talking to an actor, and when I say that, I'm talking to someone who understands the work of an actor. So now you live in this world episodic where you have at least two takes.
Speaker 2: Maybe and film.
Speaker 1: I'm working with one of my clients on a film in Atlanta right now. It's a lifetime movie, and I feel so challenged because I prep her for the work. We do the work, but everything is has to be fit in fifteen days. Fifteen days A key took film and I come from just another girl on irt. We had no money. We filmed however long it took on the weeknd, that's how long it took us to shoot the film. But the rich film that I ever worked on was at least four.
Speaker 3: Weeks, right, right, No, they crunching them now they're condensing it and it's yes, yeah, yeah, yeah. It's a lot of pressure for the actors. I can't I can't lie about that. It definitely is a lot of pressure.
Speaker 1: So how do you deal with that pressure? Because this is what I imagine. I imagine the pressure is memorization. I imagine the pressure is you don't have time to develop.
Speaker 2: These characters to the extent that you may.
Speaker 1: So when you get that white copy and that contract is signed and that check clears.
Speaker 2: You got to start working.
Speaker 3: It's work gone, it's go time. So this is what I usually do. And I and I'm a pest to them after they they you want me, okay, now I'm a past send it before I even get the contracts, before I get to anything, I already started to work because I tell them send me the script. And when they send me the script, and sometimes they you know, they're like, okay, but we just waiting on it, and I'll hit them tomorrow. Hey I didn't get that script. You didn't email that. We're just trying to get it together. We got to last. Okay, send me what you got. Let me see something that my character did, you know, and get understanding of who the character is. And I start putting in the work before they get to any of the business and that for that reason, they crunching everything. So I'm like, I don't want to be the one off guard and you you know, wasting money because of me not being prepared. I don't want to be prepared. Send me everything right now, you know. So I learned that you can't never never go wrong with asking, you know. So you got to ask, be on top of the things, man, and That's how I kind of balanced it out. Is just prematurely asking for everything. I want everything now, can you you gotta script Bible this that Just send me anything you got and it helped a lot. It helped a lot, But I don't think it's going to change because they want to be able to do it faster and faster and faster r con then so you know, we got to just get stronger and you know, and buildings.
Speaker 2: But how do you feel like as an actor?
Speaker 3: One?
Speaker 1: Can you really emphasize because I know you know the training aspect of it, because you're speaking about it now, And how does it make you feel as an actor?
Speaker 2: Because I believe this is the new norm.
Speaker 1: I believe that the best kept secret in terms of independent film was that we could shoot the film Orf to.
Speaker 2: Field with eight days on the folk and made six hundred billion off of it. The studios know now. So I'm just saying this is going to be your norm. Fifteen to twenty one day.
Speaker 3: Shoots done, done and a lot of some of the work. You know, well, what I did in I shot a movie call I Got Problems actually on BT that I wrote and as well, yeah, thank you, and I played the you know I played this second Lea and what I did and we can that was one of those crunch you know. But what I did was I just first, like I said, I got all versions of the script and me being one of the writers that helped a lot because I can. But you know, even after turning everything over, it's like, send me back any you know edits or anything immediately. And then it's one thing that people got to really understand. It's a sacrifice. There's something you're going to have to sacrifice. And Kanye said in the line he said in the song he said, he said, you know, I don't know what I like more getting paid or getting laid. I know when I'm getting one, the other's getting away. It's like something is going to have to suffer for you to make this, you know, develop this character the way you want and be on top of the game so that when the time crunch, you are prepared. So I might can't talk to my mother like she's on my ear every you know, my on these few days, you're gonna have to just chill. I can't talk to my brother and they like, hell, how do you do this? How you do that? You're gonna have to figure that out for a minute. I got to put this time in. I need you to just chill, and I go to my space, and my space and my pieces is a big, big factor in everything I'm doing. And I go to my space, I relax, I breathe, I do a lot of meditation, and it allows me to absorb everything and shut out everything else for a minute, you know. And it's super important to be able to do that because we are used to responding so much to life and things and questions and phone and this and TV and responding, and it's a disrupt it's an interruption, you know. So when you shut down some of those things and sacrifice a few of those things. Even social media, like I shut it down, like you know, when it's work time. I'm like, they like, you don't even post like that. And a PR was like, I don't know about putting you up. You don't really post a lot. I'm like, I'm working, I'm not you know, I have to focus, you know, And so you got to sacrifice a few of those things. On top of requesting everything early and getting on top of things and having everything before you know, everything gets really hits the crunch time and then sacrificing a few of those things. That's usually the formula for success.
Speaker 2: For that, I agree.
Speaker 1: And I want to say in terms of you being a screenwriter author, I so appreciate love the fact that you took your career in your own hands and made a decision to create. Because I was speaking to a producer on Friday and he said, let me tell you something, Tracy, if your students are not creating their own content, they are not in the game at all. And so I was like, really, he was like, this is where we are at and so and to be able to congratulations as.
Speaker 2: Well sell it, get distribution. I mean, ladies and gentlemen, this is not an easy task.
Speaker 1: And I can speak from I told you inside the Black Box eighteen years, you.
Speaker 2: Know, and that one year did I say, you know that.
Speaker 1: I'm a give up never never, no no, because.
Speaker 2: You see the vision.
Speaker 1: And now when you started to say meditation turning off the noise, we speak the same language because that's like me talking right now. So and I appreciate love too that and that's why actors is so important. I always say, Jamel, we give energy to everybody else and then we get home too tired. To exercise, too tired to do our skincare rougene. No, I'm not doing that. I'm not giving you all of me, you know, I'm just not going to do that. So when you are creating as an author, because I know a lot of writers in my class or people we want to start, what type of advice can you give actors about creating their own content?
Speaker 2: Writing their own content?
Speaker 3: I would say it's two different sides of that. One is the authenticity. You know, it always gets people to bite and don't be scared to just step out and do your own thing, like this is what I want to write, this is the thing I like to write, and do that thing because that's usually going to be your best work. You know. Everybody is trying to write and fit in the box of something. Instead of that, just do what was on the heart first. This is me and I'm writing this and I love to write like this, and this is the thing I want to write. And then you that's the story, you know, Yes, put that story together and then maybe that some people want to help mold it and sharpen it a little bit. Hey, you could add this to it and make it, you know, and then it turns it into something that everybody can relate to. But you start with the thing that you love, you know, and make that make that the story. So right, write what you love, you know. That's that's my biggest advice. This the story that got picked up on BT was about a scientist that I wrote was about a scientist who lived in the hood and he was going to NASA and his friend ended up killing somebody and he got they's trying to pin it on him, and he's running around the hood, you know, over the course of a weekend, trying to clear his name. But the brother of the gangster that that tried to pen it on him was a cop, and he's like, yo, you better telling his brother we got to pen it on his kid because they're gonna figure out as you So he's running from the police and he's running from the gangster and he's the scientist. So there's different dimensions of my life, not the running and all of that. But I love science, so it's a lot of science references in there. The kid lived with his grandmother who adopted him. I'm adopted child. My mother was incarcerated, yeah, and enforced to care you know. So that's a part of me, you know, so different nuggets in there is a part of me. I never was like everybody when they say you're a product you know the environment. I'll never believe that because my environment was what I just wrote about, and I was designed. You know, dude, need to get out of that, you know. So a lot of them I would say, just write what you love, man, And the next thing I'm writing, there's some extra terrestrial you know, some sci fi I'm in that, you know.
Speaker 2: We do.
Speaker 3: I love. I love that. That's my thing. So I gotta I gotta send you this this link.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you, Javelle, this is how much of it to I mean aliens. Right when I was married, I used to I used to pick our vacation spots based on hot spots. It wasn't until we were in Arizota that my husband was like, what is it?
Speaker 2: And then he real.
Speaker 3: This is where they've seen that uf old that job over there? Yeah, you got me over here. I know about that.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: So I.
Speaker 1: Love the range. Your range is fierce. I love the range.
Speaker 3: Man. You're going to.
Speaker 2: Listen.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna send you something too. But I definitely, well, you know what this is what I believe. I believe that we reconnect for a reason, and like when you know, because I'm transitioning, I want to direct full time for the rest of my life and play with all my friends.
Speaker 2: That's my goal because a lot of friends and a lot of talent friends and just play.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: It's not I you know, and I feel like for a long time I've silenced that side of me because it's like, yeah, I want to direct, you know, and play.
Speaker 2: But now it's in more than ever.
Speaker 1: The urge is like, yeah, we're doing this because you have been doing this, so we're doing this. So I was directing in the when we did live casting, I was directing in there.
Speaker 2: I didn't even know it because I wasn't conscious.
Speaker 1: I was just like I would do things with my assistants, say listen because you know we have VHS.
Speaker 2: Back then, I would say, do me a favor, stop.
Speaker 1: Rewind record over that, janew do it again. This is what they're looking for, man, and you got it, but listen, you know. So I want to throw out some of your credits here before because I feel like Andy's going to be punching that in.
Speaker 3: The chat too.
Speaker 2: Okay, So law.
Speaker 1: And Order, which is a dynamic franchise. A dynamic franchise. I've you know, I worked on the other side of New York Undercover and so so I think that's so dynamic, Like when you do New York shows and you're a New York actors, so to speak, like, I just think that's so fierce that you're a part of that branchise. But actors, I want you to listen to these credits here. He also produced by Robert de Niro, which I love, Like NYC twenty two, can you tell them what that was and how it was working with Robert.
Speaker 2: I love Robert de Niro.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's amazing man, And that was one of that was in the beginning of my career when I was getting a lot of just three four line punches, and I met him and he just was amazing and just giving me a little bit of game and the show he basically got took. You know, it didn't last that long, right I know, yeah, really yeah, yeah, so, but he was amazing man, and that was a short lived thing. I think that, you know, the way the universe aligns people, I think it was meant for me to get a couple of things that he told me, And yeah, which you know, just how to how to stay on site. Uh, stay in sight of the flow of life is what I call it. It's that rhythm, you know, how to stay in that line, you know, And that's all I really, I don't think it was more about the role for that particular project. It was more about getting that that nugget, you know. But it was dope, man. It was amazing being on set with one of the big heavy ratings.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, the.
Speaker 1: Greatest, and you guys, he had reoccurring roles. One of my favorites. And I'm not a Marvel person, but Luke Cage was one of my favorite shows. And it was just so random because like I just don't.
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness, that's when I was a big I was such a big Marvel fan before that, and that that particular show change change me. Uh, because I was in the beginning of my career. I was looking at film and you know, remember I'm transitioning from music, but I was still in the street. I was still like, it's a hustle to me, and I'm thinking, do this get my money? Do this get my money? But when I was on set, when I got booked for that, and I was in my trailer and I got the producers of Marvel and Netflix directors and then they outside like is Jamail ready? It is Jamail ready. I'm listening like wow, Like that's it was. It was such an awakening for me. That was like producers of Marvel is like, it is Jamail ready. And this is something I was a kid and I grew up on and you know, so at that point I stopped looking at it as a hustle and I was like, I really want to be great in this. I want this feeling, you know, to last. And it changed my career. After that, I was, you know, I was settled in ye this. I want to be a good character. I want to be a good actor. I want to you know, I was settled in my decision of wanting to do that and not even thinking about the money. You know, I just let go, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And you know I wanted to interject to audience.
Speaker 1: Another thing about musical artists and my experience of helping to transition them into a film and TV, is that you're also very conscious of your body. You know, you you you unconsciously know everything about the movement of your body as an artist when you're performing, So when you transition into an actor, that's something that you don't have to be concerned about as long as you have which is something that you learn. The inner voice has to be active within your character like in real life.
Speaker 2: So you're gonna I don't have.
Speaker 1: To if I'm thinking, oh, she makes me mad, I don't have to say to myself, Tracy, holds your hands up and be mad.
Speaker 2: It's just automatically going to happen.
Speaker 1: Right, So does that work for you in terms of movement?
Speaker 3: Yes, And I think that I never identified it. It's just something that's just natural. But now that you may be aware of that, I'm gonna be I'm definitely gonna use that and put a big beam on that, because yeah, you just it's just something that is automatic. You connect with it. It's a it's a rhythm and it's a dance, you know, and and you looking at everything, is this rhythm? Is this dance? And you just flowing in between it, and it's just naturally you you do the step, you know, and the person makes the step out you stuck with them, and you know you used to just moving like that, and and that's a perfect way. I'm glad you made me aware of that from focusing you know that right there? Yeah, that's that's exactly describe it. No, No, for sure.
Speaker 1: It gets brilliant because you know, when you go to acting school for the first time, I'm talking about acting one on one, the first thing they say is, you know, this is your tool, this is your body is And so what happens in my experience is that people.
Speaker 2: Disconnect the body from themselves.
Speaker 1: So it's things are awkward, standing is awkward, all of this.
Speaker 2: And it's like you got it.
Speaker 1: Like you said, it's a rhythm and a vibration because it's not just your energy. Really quickly, I coached someone in Color Purple Oprah One Tree's production, and one of the actors dropped one of the celebrity, but one of the actors dropped the line which could have jolted by client. However, being vibrationally connected with the ensemble, she just said something that jarred the other actor to come back and get back in that rhythm.
Speaker 2: But if you and he's a singer too, she's a thing.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So it was just natural. It just flowed as opposed to panicking or you.
Speaker 2: Know how.
Speaker 3: We used to have mic cutting off in the and put the mic down. Yeah, kick the B box yo check. You know, we just go with the thing, you know.
Speaker 2: And you've been on the stage where you've been like this and a.
Speaker 3: Whole stupid that is.
Speaker 2: So I don't know how. I don't know how, y'all.
Speaker 1: I've been really blessed with some of my clients, specifically Buster. I've been a lot of his shows, and to be backstage and to watch the audience, it is mesmeriting that, you guys, from ten thousand people to two hundred and fifty thousand, it's just crazy.
Speaker 2: I'm going to let you know what I'm going to do.
Speaker 1: I'm going to let you give your last words after class in session because I want because you'll also see the actors as well.
Speaker 2: And be able to get feedback.
Speaker 1: But we're going to go into I'm going to bring Elsa Lapin on now, and Elsa's going to introduce the actors and they're going to ask you a question.
Speaker 4: Yes, that was so refreshing, Thank you, Jamel. That was wonderful. So today, absolutely today we have two of our spirited actors. We have Miss Leahmitria Starks. Welcome Leamitria, you can come on camera.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and we have.
Speaker 3: Mister Jamal Began.
Speaker 2: These are my favorite too.
Speaker 4: And we also have mister Muhammad Williams. Welcome back.
Speaker 3: Nice to meet you, brother.
Speaker 5: Nice, nice to meet you brother, much appreciated man.
Speaker 3: Likewise likewise.
Speaker 4: So Leah Mitri and your first what's your question?
Speaker 7: So my question is, with you all having the shorter filming times, what is your memorization process that could help other actors when they have to memorize lines quickly.
Speaker 3: That's a great question, and that's something that I teach a couple of a couple of people under me. What I do is I take my phone the recorder or you know, you got your voice recorder, and I record. I read the script and I press record, and I read everybody's lines and read minds in my head. So I'm reading with myself and I leave out my lines, and then I go back and press play, and I'm able to everybody's lines. Is there and they saying they part because it's all me. But then I'm saying my part out loud. That triggers the brain to lock it in faster. It's it's it's almost like listening to a song, and you're going to learn a song, and just like teaching kids, they learned you know, math and stuff through songs faster than a teacher teaching normally. So you want to put it in a rhythm like that, that's that's like putting it in the you know, in rhythm. It helps a lot and you'll you'll remember it a lot quicker. I can remember you know, a few pages in like an hour or so, you know, and it's like boom boom boom, I get it, you know, and bigger scripts. Of course, it'll take you a day or two, but you'll get it faster, a lot faster.
Speaker 6: Okay, thank you so much.
Speaker 3: You're welcome.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 5: That was that was that was huge.
Speaker 3: That's great of the process, you know. And I wanted to really focus on figuring that thing out because it takes a lot of pressure off you once you know the words. That's the actor is one of our biggest fears is forgetting the words, you know, and that I wanted to take the pressure off. So I had to figure out a system that can can lock it in faster. And that's been working for me for years. That that one little system right there does it.
Speaker 4: That's awesome, Thank you. So Mohammed, what is your question?
Speaker 5: My question is more so on the on the writing piece. What is your process When you have an idea or something that's formulating in your head and you're like, you know what, I need to get this down? What is your process? Do you just do a couple of bullet points and then you developed from it or do you just go directly into it and just start writing.
Speaker 3: So I'm a right brain person. I'm more Einstein than anything. So Einstein said your imagination will take you further than knowledge. So what he meant by that was that long as you can imagine something, you can you can bring it into existence. And there are things that imagine that exists in another dimension already and you think you don't. It's not here, it's not in front of you, but it's in another dimension for sure. So with that being said, I like visual So as soon as I think of something, I thought that this alien movie. The first thing I did was, let me look for a name that hit that that feels, you know, heavy, And I find the name and then I find pictures. That's that's the most important thing in my righting process. I look for the pictures first, I don't write one word down. It's pictures. I find a picture. Okay, there's gonna be a fight with two aliens. I give me a picture of some deep alien fighting or something going on. I put that on my on my word, you know, make a word. She put that on there. Then I bring Okay, the guy looks crazy. He's at the top of the mountain, or he's on the top of a building and he's looking down at it. I'm picturing scenes, and I'm bringing his pictures for the scenes, and then I take that and then I start writing. I use pictures first to get me in the vision of the movie or the show or whatever. And once it puts me in the mood and the energy of it, then I get words. They just come like, okay, I could see it starts off with this same guy that I got the picture of. He's walking and it might be some dirty, dirty warehouse and it's a rat just crossed his legs and he's looking down and he'd be you know, it comes to you. After you get these visuals images, you'll start to you know, get the get the process that's going faster because your imagination triggers it and it's just start pouring, you know, and that's the getting started, you know, that's the main thing. Once you get that first thing down, it's like a all right, I'm good, you know, broke the yolk. I'm good, you know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, right, I appreciate.
Speaker 3: That absolutely, absolutely, absolut thank you, all.
Speaker 2: Right, thank you.
Speaker 1: Also, thank you Leomitria and Mohammed. So you're going to see them in a few seconds. So Jamel is going to stay with us. You guys are so blessed. I'm so grateful to have your presence here and hear all the things.
Speaker 2: This is wonderful. You are really really touching a lot of people.
Speaker 1: When we come back to the Spirited Actor Podcast with me Tracy Moore, we're going to do class and session and we're going to get some more nuggets from Jamel Power. Welcome back to the Spirited Actor Podcast with me Tracy Moore, and you are still blessed. We have actor author extraordinaire Jamel Howard.
Speaker 2: Is still with us.
Speaker 1: Yes, all right, I see y'all standing up and clapping as you should.
Speaker 2: Because he left. He gave y'all from stuff, okay, and we're.
Speaker 1: Going to extend another invitation to him because he's a wealth of knowledge.
Speaker 2: Try y'all.
Speaker 1: So now we're gonna have class and session where we bring on the actors spirit actor alumni and they are going to perform a scene for Jamel and then he's going to come back and give us some real good nuggets, some more you guys.
Speaker 2: So, Elsea's going to come.
Speaker 1: On and she's going to introduce the actors and I'll pH be the narrative for the scene.
Speaker 4: Yes, so today's less and session, we are welcoming back, Miss Leahmitria starts Welcome back, Lea Mitia, thank you for having me, And mister Muhammed Williams, Welcome back, Mohammed.
Speaker 5: I appreciate that as always, thank you all for having me absolutely.
Speaker 4: So today's scene is written by Dana Kiel. Homecoming been a minute exterior campus lawn steps, evening dusk. Marcus Travis sits on the steps, texting. Meanwhile, Denise Wilkes Wicks wraps up a phone call as she walks in Mark's direction.
Speaker 6: Okay, girl, what time are you going to get there?
Speaker 4: Denise stops a bout a yard from her from Mark. As he looks up from his.
Speaker 6: Phone, that's an hour away. I gotta eat. Okay, I hit you in about an.
Speaker 5: Hour, Denise Wicks, Yes, forgive me.
Speaker 7: I know your face, but I can't remember nobody's name. The pandemic took my memory.
Speaker 5: It's all good. We all that. You know, we don't remember names both, but it's Mark Mark Travis.
Speaker 4: So your blushes and smiles emotions for her to sit down.
Speaker 7: So you remember, yes, because you were the r A in Banka Hall and a couple of us got caught by you, and you told us that you wouldn't turn us in if we left in ten seconds.
Speaker 6: And honey, you counted us down too.
Speaker 5: I mean, y'all was probably up there visiting some knucker Head freshmen, so acts we were, and I didn't want anybody to end up in something that they might regret later.
Speaker 7: So, well, I'm still single because you've won my one shot at a college, sweetheart.
Speaker 5: Come on, I doubt that. But you look the same. I mean you don't find it in before.
Speaker 7: Okay, So you know we all had a crush on you back then?
Speaker 5: Nah, no way.
Speaker 7: Yes, because when we got back to the dorm, everybody wanted to know what you were wearing when you kicked.
Speaker 6: Us out the door.
Speaker 5: What are you doing now? What are you up to?
Speaker 7: I still real estate in Everston, Illinois.
Speaker 5: No way, I'm in a shy too. I passed up a small church and I do real estate. I'm a mortgage broker.
Speaker 6: You're a pastor.
Speaker 5: I know it's hard to believe, but you know it's a very coming as you are a type of church, non denominational. All we do is meditate.
Speaker 4: Wind begins to whistle, humpted Denise to move closer to Mark.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry, it's a little cold now, and.
Speaker 4: Mark removes a small canteen from his jacket pocket, takes his jacket off and puts it around Denise.
Speaker 6: Thank you? What was in there?
Speaker 5: Or just and frustrate you?
Speaker 4: He takes a sip.
Speaker 5: It's kind of keeping me warm. You are well.
Speaker 6: May I have some of that warmth?
Speaker 4: He hands on the canteen and she takes a sip.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 6: I'm definitely warm now.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 5: So Everston is really close to me. We should definitely hang out.
Speaker 7: Okay, you know what, I Am going to come to your church because I still can't believe.
Speaker 6: You're a pastor.
Speaker 4: Denise school's closer to Mark. He turns towards her.
Speaker 5: Yeah, very one one right now.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 6: Well we're keeping each other on.
Speaker 4: Market, Denise, leaning to each other and kiss see.
Speaker 3: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 1: All right, all right, all right, I gotta copy it after him, Okay, so whatever.
Speaker 2: You want to drop on.
Speaker 3: Yes, So that was good. That was good. First of all. That was that was really good. And I can imagine starting Lemitria right, yes.
Speaker 6: Lea Maria, Leah Maria, Yes, sir.
Speaker 3: Lea Metria, gotcha. So I can imagine. I know, I can feel your flirtatiousness. I can feel the flirt on you. If you was able to actually be there with him, I see that it would have been something different. For sure, you had been able to put a little morning But I like all of what you did for sure. My only nugget would be for you is where you're from originally, Oklahoma, Oklahoma. I can hear a little Oklahoma in your in your in your voice, I would say, and they say, they say that to me all the time, like New York, New York, New York, and they can tell I got the New York, you know, but I had to learn how to just suppress a little bit of it, you know sometimes, So I would say that that's My only nugget for you is suppress the Oklahoma a little bit and depending on what you shoot, and sometimes they might want the Oklahoma. But be able to just neutralize accent a little bit as something I'm still learning as well, so that that's that's one thing and everything else just it was dope to me and uh from Mohammed, I would say, just being uh this knowing the objective is I actually I like this lady. I want this woman. I want to connect with her, I would say, just the patience in your game a little bit, like you know you really but it felt almost like you were getting through it too fast, you know, to convince her. Hey, listen, your eyes are like beautiful, you know, and you're taking those moments to like just draw, you know, have her fall into you. You know what I'm saying with your game because it's game. You know, you to given it this that you know, so you want her to fall into it a little more. You need to just kind of take your time with certain punches of it, you know. But for the most part, it was Yeah, it was good. It was good.
Speaker 5: I appreciate that, Thank.
Speaker 1: You, Jamal, And I just wanted to add because it's you know the fact that the pastor maybe it's me. I'm a cassidy director. I take characters literally, a cast of drinking gretefood and vodka in.
Speaker 2: The middle of the day. What's going on?
Speaker 1: Everything about this pastor is the word?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: And then let me tell you Leah Mitria met her on inside the Black Box. She has been such a committed students ever since then.
Speaker 2: Mohammad lives in d C.
Speaker 1: Another committed actor. But I have to say that, you know sometimes.
Speaker 3: And you can say it to Jamil, but.
Speaker 1: Sometimes the writing is interesting and you just have to because this is a scene that I would have had a conversation with the author, just the writer, just to get some clarity on why I would be attracted to a preacher who drinking vodka and great food in the middle of the day.
Speaker 5: Start with but it's a very it's a very come as you are type Churchill that I passed it. All you do is mainly meditate. I'm just saying that kind. It's not that kind.
Speaker 3: I just have question.
Speaker 7: You know, first, ladies, the answer is called. They weren't the ones call, so they'll take whatever.
Speaker 3: Wow, I want to get taken whatever, because you didn't.
Speaker 1: You didn't start out to me as someone who would take anything.
Speaker 2: You didn't being on the phone.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Like actions speak volume of who you are. It's not the words. I don't care what you say.
Speaker 1: Because my cousin is a vegetarian, but she eat chicken wings because she has a taste, then you ain't no vegetarian head, right, So I'm just saying, so I just want to eating the chicken.
Speaker 3: That's what you say. I'm banking.
Speaker 1: Every once in a while, I get a taste, getting the taste of your vegetarian that tastes must be out here.
Speaker 2: About it anyway, I digress. I just want everybody to.
Speaker 1: Put your head together for Leomitrio, Storics, Williams, thank you all later for bringing these actors, and once again, Jamel Howard, you are a treasure. I am so so happy to reconnect with you. We're going to have you back on because there is a part two in you. And I also want actors to know all your credits. Is there anything that you want to tell us now that you're doing that's coming up that we.
Speaker 5: To support you.
Speaker 3: Yes, So I've got like I said, I got, I got problems is on BT right now that I wrote then You Have Been for Love that's on BT as well, and I'm in that and part two is coming. We just finished shooting part two which I'm gonna produce on and one of the main characters and You Have For what It's Worth that just came out. Yes, yep. And I'm one of the main guys as well. And now I'm shooting The Family Business, which I talked to you about. Shooting The Family Business, which I am one of the recurring character, is on now be on for a few seasons of that. Yeah, that's that's it, and many many other things coming down the pipeline on the right in side Sciphi is coming real soon. I'm working on it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh man.
Speaker 1: We just wish you continued success and blessings you are so deserving of at all. Ladies and gentlemen, once again, please put your hands together for your mouth power.
Speaker 3: You appreciate, appreciate, appreciate you. Love you man.
Speaker 1: When we come back on the Spirited Actor Podcast with me Tracy Moore, I'm gonna give you guys some love.
Speaker 2: We need love.
Speaker 3: Everybody needs love.
Speaker 2: And now it's time for kudos, Corn Kudos.
Speaker 1: Corner is a place where we come and celebrate and support spirited actors and we introduce them to you.
Speaker 2: This week's Kudos.
Speaker 1: Corner puts the spotlight on spirited actors Sasha Morales. I've known Sasha since she was fourteen years old, and I'm so proud of the woman and the actress she has grown to be. You've seen Sasha co star in PowerBook three, Raising Canaan on Stars and in a New York Minute on YouTube. She has also starred in The Shorts Room five twenty six and Stupid Cupid, as well as the feature of Port Authority. In addition to our acting work, Sasha is a licensed esthetician and owner of Fear Skin Aesthetics. Kudos Tasasha Morales, and now it's time to give love. This actually happened to me this morning. Timing is perfect and peccable. So some of my students know that I was allegedly diagnosed with arthritis.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: I'm just very conscious of the words that I'm put out there, so that's what I'm saying. But bit arthritis very painful, made some adjustments, continuing to make adjustments in my life. This morning, I woke up in search of my tiger bomb, because my tiger bomb gives me a sense of relief, if not for a couple hours, it's a great sense of relief.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So I'm looking in all the places in the bathroom where I know the tiger bomb should be in, and I'm searching, and I'm so confused because I'm really good at putting things back where they belong. My mother was a stickler on that, so growing up that's something I took in my life. So I sit down in my chair and I think to myself, where could my tiger bomb be. I always put it in the right place. And as I sat there, I heard a voice say, check your purse. I checked my purse and there was the tiger bomb. I'm here to tell you I would have never checked my voice. Had I not heard that voice, I never checked my purse. You have to learn not only to trust yourself, but before a thought hits your brain, it comes from somewhere. Trust that somewhere, trust that digest that take in that. Because I found my tigerbaumb this morning in my purse.
Speaker 2: What a blessing. Don't forget to look out for us.
Speaker 1: On our new show Inside the Black Box, my co host will be Joe the Legend Morton. It's going to be the Spirited Actor Podcast on Steroids. We'll be streaming on the Crackle network. I'll keep you posted. Thank you for joining us on the Spirited Actor Podcast with me Tracy Moore. I look forward to our next Spirited Podcast.
Speaker 2: Thank you.