Speaker 1: On today's episode, we're talking about Batman Part two, Matt Reeves, We're talking about some trailers. We're talking about Marvel coming to LA, all that and more.
Speaker 2: It's news.
Speaker 3: Hello.
Speaker 1: My name is Jason Sepsio hen I'm Rosey Night, and welcome back to Expert Vision of the podcast. Will we dive deep into your favorite shows, movies, comics and pop culture. Coming to you from I Heart. We're bringing you three episodes a week, plus news on Saturday.
Speaker 4: In today's previously on episode, we made it Congrats for another week.
Speaker 3: We are catching up on the biggest geek news of that.
Speaker 4: Very week, including oh my god, this one was setting the comic industry group chats on fire. Baby Marvel Comics heads to LA after eight years in New York City.
Speaker 3: They are moving and.
Speaker 4: Big o ohs for Netflix and a really fun piece that came out fun for those of us who like mess.
Speaker 5: But first trailers trailer news.
Speaker 1: First of all, Camp Crystal Lake. Trailer for Camp Crystal Lake has dropped. I did not even know this was coming out. It is an a twenty four Peacock co production Crazy that you did Friday Friday the thirteenth prequel. Yes, that will debut October fifteenth, twenty twenty six, just in time for Scary Season on Peacock. Eight episodes set in the nineteen seventies, with Linda Carnalini as the original Jason Varhi's Pamela War He's the original spoiler, the original killer of the first Friday the Thirteenth, and the trailer is quite fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I'm into Jason.
Speaker 4: The reason you might not have heard of this when I said crazy you hadn't heard of It wasn't about you. It's the fact that A twenty four has a Friday the Thirteenth official project, something we haven't had for a long time, and you don't know about it now. This was originally announced a few years ago, during the time when it was still unclear what the rights to the original Friday the Thirteenth movie were, but those have since been worked out, so we had This was originally a Brian Fuller, who made Hannibal Pushing Daisies a twenty four project. Brian left during creative differences, not a shock if you look at the other projects he's worked on, and it ended up continuing.
Speaker 3: On A twenty four and Peacock.
Speaker 4: I'm very interested in this I love the Friday the Thirteenth movies. They're completely ridiculous. They're completely like tropy slashers.
Speaker 3: So I think the.
Speaker 4: Idea of trying to do like elevated Friday the Thirteenth is kind of hilarious. I love the Linda Cardinelli Cardlini Kent casting though, because the real truth is, if you actually watch Friday the Thirteenth, it is I'm not saying that you should kill teenagers, but I am saying that they killed this woman's son because they were fucking and he was disabled six year old, So I'm on her side. I think they know what people want. Me and my friend Josh Kagan, just a great guy, a film guy, too, awesome mutual aid worker. We were basically talking about like we're gonna make a bingo card of all the weird tropes because there's ten of these fucking movies guys like the Easter Eggs are.
Speaker 3: Gonna be crazy.
Speaker 4: And we even get a line here where this is how you know they know what the people want, where Linda says Mummy's here, so you know, like they know what the show is, they know it's gonna be camp. It's also really interestingly all gonna drop on the fifteenth, So I think that's actually a smart move because if it hits, then that could be your big Holly, your big Halloween release for both of them.
Speaker 3: So I'm really excited to see.
Speaker 4: I think it's gonna start with Jason's death and then basically be about her kind of unraveling.
Speaker 3: So who knows.
Speaker 4: The Psycho spin off show Baits Motel with Via Farmigo as the mother of Norman Baits is legitimately one of the best horror TV shows we ever got, and it ran for like four.
Speaker 3: Seasons, So maybe this is gonna be really good. But the trailer looks fun like it's gonna be for Halloween.
Speaker 4: And yeah, if you're if you're an industry person us getting a new official fighter that that team project is crazy because the legalities around that have been a mess for years.
Speaker 1: Up next, Digger, the new project from Tom Cruise and Alejandro in a Rito, has dropped. It is a satirical black comedy in which Cruz plays Digger Rockwell, and aging energy tycoon who accidentally triggers a natural disaster apocalypse and scrambles then to prove that he's humanity savior. Here's it also stars Jesse Plemmon, Sandra Huller, Rizamed, Emma Darcy John Goodman comes out October second. The trailer is quite interesting and fun. I don't quite what to make of it.
Speaker 3: I will be watching it.
Speaker 5: I will say this, it looks.
Speaker 1: Like for any of us who have shot video, it weirdly looks like raw log footage, like the way that your video looks when you when it just comes out of camera and does nothing.
Speaker 3: To have color.
Speaker 5: Yes, you don't color, so I I.
Speaker 1: Don't understand why they're doing that, but it's it's quite a look.
Speaker 4: I'm interested. It is to me very Bong jun'ho doing English language. It looks very much like Mickey thirteen. It looks like Okja. It has a similar aesthetic. They're clearly going for a climate change movie here, which I think is really interesting. Interatu is one of my favorite directors when I was younger, like a big big deal for me, as like somebody getting.
Speaker 3: Into art house cinema.
Speaker 4: I'm interested. This is a Tom Cruise inm prosthetics role. You know, it's him doing his kind of the very viral.
Speaker 5: And you're using dark to make them old.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because he even ironically you know, that's what happens when he pledged your life to Zeno like you look in Young Baby. But they launched this with a huge screening at Warner Brothers. They clearly are betting on this as another one of their kind of auta hits, which I love. How much Warner Brother's going in for that. The trailer itself, I'm intrigued yet questioning. I would say I have had many conversations with other people about how the footage looks too, but I like that they're doing something different. I like it starting conversations, and we need more movies about how climate change is bad and people who take from the earth are bad. So I'm interested to see where it goes.
Speaker 1: And finally, we have a trailer for the new Paul Greengrass film The Uprising, which is based on the thirteenth century peasant revolt in England, in which wat Tyler and a bunch of peasants said we're not paying taxes anymore of the kings being a piece of shit. They rampage across the countryside for a number of weeks until I mean spoiler for historical events. They then agree to meet the king to talk about stopping it, and the King's guys like assassinate the leaders.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so very famous situation in England.
Speaker 4: In those spaces, there's still not been thought about a precursion.
Speaker 1: Many historians think to the event to the kind of historical events that led to the French Revolution. Anyway, if you love landlords and the rich getting decapitated by like hose and farm implements, hose being like a farm implement, yeah, not not sex workers, then this movie.
Speaker 2: Is for you.
Speaker 4: I gotta say, looks great. I was not expecting this. Stars Andrew Garfield. We know he's amazing, so very excited to see him, and I feel like we're going to be getting a series of prestige period pieces and this just feels to me like if it hits, it's going to continue that trend.
Speaker 3: I feel like, even though Dune.
Speaker 4: And obviously the odyesty on more genre spaces, I do feel like post Oppenheimer, there is this kind of hunger for historical fiction, especially if.
Speaker 3: It has, you know, an angle to it.
Speaker 4: This kind of feels like the opposite of that recent flop Death of Robin Hood movie. So yeah, I was I didn't know this was coming out, and I'm I'm excited to see people get their heads chopped off with gardening implements.
Speaker 1: Up next, we're going to We're going to La Baby. Marvel Comics is leaving New York after seventy years being based in ninety.
Speaker 3: It is actually like closer to ninety now.
Speaker 1: It's just so I know, do yeah, Like if you take timely and all of that stuff into it, right, and you know, certainly the city that is the basis for most of the storylines that occur within that's the craziest within Marvel. But you kind of figure it had to happen. DC made the move almost ten I want to say it was ten years ago.
Speaker 4: It was like, so it was it was I think it was in like the early twenty tens.
Speaker 3: Yeah, say yeah.
Speaker 1: So the comics franchise and publishing division are relocating. About one hundred staffers have to decide whether they're gonna make the cross country move. And there has been a uh a leadership change at the top.
Speaker 3: All right, de lay it on this one.
Speaker 1: So Stephen Whacker, a respected veteran comics editor who also is an Emmy Award winner for various pason to animation, is taking the place of outgoing chief C. B. Sebolski, one of the great Asians.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, well he is moving to Japan to spahead.
Speaker 5: What a perfect.
Speaker 1: Do we need to explain this?
Speaker 4: Just look it up, you just look at just fucking look it up and just Google and look up. But Jason, I do want to focus Stephen Wacka. Let's talk a little bit about that, because that is actually exciting. Look, I do wish Marvel had hired anyone who wasn't another white guy. But Stephen Whacka did oversee some of the comics that we love, the dead evil stuff from the early twenty tens, Miss Marvel, the Captain Marvel reboot.
Speaker 3: Them the all new, all different era.
Speaker 4: I mean, people were sharing cover comparisons from comics from the twenty tens when Stephen wacker was was editing, and comics from CB's era now and pretty much all the comics now are sexy boob j Scott Campbell's style covers, which have their place. But back in the twenty tens, there was a variety. It was all different kinds of art styles. It was all different kinds of versions of what's sexy Who's on the front cover? And I do think that I would hope this is a transitional phase for Marvel, but they need someone to come back in and sort shit out because comics wise, it has not been popping off there, so I think this is very important. I also think that one of the sad things that we're losing here is an official Marvel office. Marvel's Manhattan office is a real office just for Marvel, you know, that's where it is. They will be moving into the Marvel's Studios Burbank HQ, which will essentially be like where DC recently located to the Warner Brothers lot, from being on their own office. So you know, I'm going to miss the days of the dream of going to the Marvel bullpen in New York. But honestly, I think this is a too little, too late move. I'm shocked they didn't do it earlier. They should have done this at the peak of the MCU if they were going to do it, I think this is giving a consolidation sadly. That's that's the feeling I'm getting, which I don't love.
Speaker 1: I agree with you. Next up, the triumphant return of Marvel to hall h Fat. The Marvel is back slated to return to hall Ah July twenty fifth for this year's San Diego Comic Con. The last time they were there was for the RDJ reveal.
Speaker 3: Man it was two years ago.
Speaker 1: I mean in the room it was like a big popside the room, it was like, is this is kind of weird?
Speaker 5: Howtide that room?
Speaker 3: We were like, what's going on? That was our biggest question.
Speaker 2: So obviously.
Speaker 5: We expect some They.
Speaker 3: Got a trailer, Jason, there's guy trailing.
Speaker 1: But there will also be panels about X Men ninety seven, about the Wolverine, upcoming Wolverine video game. So I guess Marvel's going big. They're good. There's got to be a doomsday trailer, right, There's got.
Speaker 3: To be a doomsday trailer.
Speaker 4: I think that unfortunately, the days of the giant slates that we love to look forward to are over.
Speaker 3: I don't think that that's gonna happen.
Speaker 4: I think doomsday trailer is a must, but it's not big enough for it to be their main thing. Wolverine trailer for the game is going to be huge. I mean, the Wolverine trailer is already incredible. I really think they have to pull out at least an X Men logo. They got to do something about whatever the next phase is gonna be. Because post Doomsday, we know that there's gonna be secret we know that there's gonna be secret wars, but like, do people care?
Speaker 3: Do they know what that is? You've got to start teasing the other stuff. I do that. So let's think about this.
Speaker 4: I do believe that the year that Doomsday Robert Danny Junior Doom was announced, they had either had the Fantastic Four on stage or it was as similar. At some point they bought the Fantastic Four on stage to announce them, whatever year that was. I wonder if that is what they will do here now. We had not gotten to talk about this because when it broke, but there had been rumors that they'd cast Adam Drivers Magneto, right, that was like a big rumor. It seems now that that has shifted to him being cast as mister Sinister, which I far prefer. I think them pulling out Adam Driver in a mister Sinister style coat. That could be a whole h breaking news moment that they haven't had since Doomsday.
Speaker 3: What's your biggest prediction for.
Speaker 4: What would get people excited and make them not feel like this is another flop?
Speaker 3: Do you think it has to be a full X Men cast, Like, how big do they have to cast?
Speaker 2: Would be massive.
Speaker 1: I mean there's a lot of x me, there's a lot of Adam Driver as somebody Magneto sinister.
Speaker 3: Yeah, who is it?
Speaker 1: So if they I think it's got to be like a full X Men cast and yeah here's who you're looking forward to for the X Men movie that drops after Doomsday. I think that would get people going fucking crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree, it's got to be big.
Speaker 1: Let's take a quick break.
Speaker 5: We were it back after this, and we're back.
Speaker 4: Okay, guys, I got some very dramatic industry mess for you here. Netflix quarter two twenty twenty six earnings shares fall after a mixed report.
Speaker 3: Baby yep.
Speaker 4: Netflix reported on Thursday, July sixteenth, a revenue of twelve point five six billion. I mean, let's be real, it doesn't sound too bad to me, but it's a twelve that's below the twelve point five eight billion consensus they were hoping, and the shares immediately dropped. There was a week Q three guidance, Netflix projected a revenue growth of eleven point seven versus the thirteen percent that Wall Street wanted and basically all of that business stuff is really bad for people who have investment and who buy Netflix shares.
Speaker 3: We don't have that right, Why do we care about it? Well, this is actually about.
Speaker 4: The drop that came alongside kind of the issues that they're having with people staying watching the show.
Speaker 3: Do people log back in for season two? They're losing ground to short form YouTube TikTok.
Speaker 4: I mean, even Deadline's own reporting has extensively talked about the issue with second seasons, though I would say personally, Netflix also has an issue with not promoting second seasons. We've seen that with shows like Shadow and Bone. We have seen that with more recently, you know, popular shows like Devil May Cry.
Speaker 3: You know. So it's an.
Speaker 4: Interesting issue, but it seems like we could be at a stage now where Netflix is going to have to start looking towards a more linear TV model aka replicating class TV.
Speaker 3: Isn't that what they always do? So, yes, the cycle.
Speaker 4: Continues, guys, but it's not going great for Netflix right now. Finally, big news for Battinson fans like myself, We do get some good news. A momentary glimpse at the new costume, which looks like it has some kind of hard high leather collar, I mean leather Daddy Batman, I would be into it. It's a test, a camera test clip. You can kind of see the cow and love the snow baby, so we're leaning into that Christmas now. Unfortunately, this is coming with some bad news for those of us who are in a rush to see a new.
Speaker 3: Matt Reus Batman movie. This is the fourth delay in three years.
Speaker 4: We have been pushed from October first, twenty twenty seven to February eighteenth, twenty twenty eight. But I do want to say I personally also think this is giving. Let's see if the gun a verse works and maybe afterwards we'll see if there's a little more space to focus on Matt Reeves just the theory, just to rumor, guys, But that's how I'm feeling about it, And yeah, I can't wait to see it.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm a big fan.
Speaker 4: So if you haven't rewatched The Batman recently, go and rewatch it.
Speaker 3: It's really good.
Speaker 4: And if you don't love it, then that's okay. Just watch your own favorite version of the Batman. On next week's episodes of X Ray Vision, we are diving into House of the Dragon and our round table discussion on christophan Allan's The Odyssey.
Speaker 3: That's the News. Thanks for listening.
Speaker 1: X ray Vision is hosted by Jason steps Young and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcast.
Speaker 4: Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 2: Our supervising producer is Abu Safar.
Speaker 4: Our producers are Carmen Laurent, Dean Jonathan and Fay Wack.
Speaker 1: A theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 4: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman and Heidi our discord moderator.