Speaker 1: The volume. Hey, so we all make mistakes, but owning up to them is the right thing to do. So you know Degree cool Rush deodorant, right, Well, last year they changed the formula and it did not go over well with their fans. So Degrees the whole thing is it turns up the sweat and odor protection when you turn up the effort, and good thing it does, because cool Rush fans really turned up the effort to bring the original formula back. One guy even started an online petition and Degree listened. They admitted they fed up. They're bringing back the original cool Rush scent. They're bringing it back and it's exactly how you remember it, cool, crisp and freshness back in Walmart, Target and other stores now for under four dollars. There's a reason that's been the number one men's anti perspirant for the last decade. It's the same reason why people were not happy when it changed. So if you've never tried it, it might be a good time to see what the fuss is about. Head to your local Walmart, Target and try the og degree cool Rush for yourself. Well, we got a stinker in Game seven at Okay see which I kind of had a vibe. In fact, I'm surprised it went seven Gordon's injury. Even in the winning games, I felt like Jokich was just running out of gas. Jamal Murray provided very little. Jason timp hoops and yeah, I felt like, you know, they played their ass off early. But you know, from Caruso on Jokic to Murray's absence, I mean, Cason Wallace is hitting the shot just like Okay, it's not going to be their day. I think I will say this. I mean, Oklahoma's today was favored. I think we both liked him. I thought it would be a really good series. It was. I do think you kind of have to sort of I mean, Christian Brown played a lot better. I think you do have to examine Jamal Murray. I just think in too many big games, he has injuries in too many big games. Jason, I just don't I just don't feel like I'm getting he was never hyper athletic anyway. I don't know. I think I think it's time to shuffle the deck. I think I would if it was me, I would keep Gordon Brown for his energy. I would keep you know, Jokic obviously, I'd move anything else. I'd take any call. How far off am I?
Speaker 2: Well, I think that there's certainly going to be a pivot coming. I think that Michael Porter Junior is the kind of player that I think they'll be almost certainly looking to move. They used to need him desperately as a weak side spacer in the context of Aaron Gordon as a non shooter, but now with Aaron Gordon really coming together as just a super well rounded, versatile role player on both ends of the floor, I think they can actually look to target more of a defensive minded wing at that position instead of a guy like Michael Porter Junior is more of a shooter. I would stick with Jamal because I think there's a lot of value specifically with the continuity with him in that matchup. This is a guy who's played two man game with jokicch for over a half decade, and he just has such a flow with him. I think there's a conversation to be had with Jamal as a parties to his conditioning, and it's routine now that he comes into camp out of shape and he basically plays his way into shape, and then suddenly right before the All Star break, he kind of kind of starts to come together, and then he'll look good in the playoffs, just not as consistently good as he can be. I mean, Colin as bad as he was tonight, he was absolutely brilliant in Game six. Yeah, but it's one of those things where I think internally they're gonna need more out of Jamal. But I certainly think of pivot's coming. I think the pivot's gonna center around a Michael Porter junior trade. That's the kind of piece that they need to upgrade. I think Jamal, I think Christian Brown, I think Aaron Gordon, I think Nicole Jokic. I think that's a championship four. I just think they need someone more along the lines of like a Herb Jones Jaden McDaniels type at the three than they need a Michael Porter junior. They need to anchor this group with defense. They need to give themselves more athleticism and pop. You could feel the difference in the athleticism in this especially in Game seven tonight or today, like they're in that beginning of the game. Is so funny on the broadcast, they show all the difference in experience all those Nuggets have played in like twenty game seven's combined, and there's like three on the OKC side, and they start the game and Denver goes up twenty one to ten, and it literally feels like a classic young guy Game seven. But then right at the end of the first quarter, Alex Cruso checks in. They's really up their ball pressure and manned at the wheels come off. It completely came off from there and they just were never able to regain control. And even Jokics to your point, especially in that late second quarter run that okay See went on right before the half, he just looked physically overwhelmed by how physical their guards are.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, I mean it was like a fourteen to two run and they were getting up the floor. And I think, I think I've said this before. I think the first round should be five games. I think it was that's what it was in MJ's era, and I think the pace is faster. I think the athletes are bigger and stronger. I don't like the NFL going to eighteen games eventually. I just I think we should. I don't the doesn't do it for me because I think athletes now are their training year round. You ask more bodies breakdown. But I think, you know, I think we're going to end up. You know, we're ending up with really good coaching staffs with OKC, Minnesota, Indiana, and the Knicks. That's what we're ending up with. And I think I think we're ending up with I mean, between Halliburton and Jalen Brunson and SGA and you know, I mean Ant Obviously, I feel like the Eastern Conference feels much different than the Western Conference. In the Western Conference, I just love the construct of the rosters. I mean, if you look at Minnesota, it should not be this good. Rudy Gobert's an offensive hole at times, Conley's six years past his prime, Ant is a superstar, a developing superstar. Julius Randall was never a good playoff performer and struggled the first month or two with the t Wolves. But I see this roster. I see the athleticism, I see the size great GM came from Denver, and I see a staff that just gets everything out of its players, that like coaches them hard. It's like almost like Spolstra coaches them hard, has no problem barking. But I feel like I'm getting every player's best game. And with Oklahoma City, like Sam Presty, I feel again, I just think there's just so much energy and so many guys that can do high end rotational players. So in the West you can touch on this. I just think I think it's really good coaching. Obviously two of the top four or five stars in ant SJA, but I think it's really good coaching, really good GMing, really nice rosters with a variety of options to throw at teams, big energy, youth, and it just there's so many levers for both coaches to pull.
Speaker 2: In the West, Yeah, it's you know, depth is the recurring theme that I see for in the sense that the Pacers have three, four or five guys that they lean on in substantial rolls off the bench. Same with Oklahoma City, same with Minnesota. You're getting nasried Dante DiVincenzo, Nikhil, Alexander Walker. These teams just have wave after wave of talent. And even with the Knicks, like the Knicks don't have the depth in terms of like playing an eight or nine man rotation, but Mitchell Robinson is like a legit sixth starter for them, and so was duce McBride. I think duce McBride's a very good backup guard, and so I think that's part of it. Having like a rock solid seven that you can count on, I think makes a big deal. I mean, to your point, Colin. Literally we got into the start of the second quarter and David adelman inexplicably leaves Jokic and Murray off the court at the same time, and we got to see a little bit of Denver's bench there for a minute. It wasn't pretty, And so I think depth is a significant part of it. There is an interesting trend Colin, towards offense and late playoff success. Two years ago. Denver is the first team that's not a defending champion that was not a top ten defense to win the title. Last year, we had three top five or three top ten offenses to top ten defenses. This year, all four teams in the final four our top ten offenses, but only Oklahoma City and Minnesota are top ten defenses, which I find really fascinating. The offensive side of the floor is becoming more important as the coaching stabs and the defensive schematics have made it so that groups like that Denver group can actually defend pretty well when they're engaged in they're playing hard, and so what's really becoming important is do you have the scoring talent to actually put the ball in the basket in these tight competitive environments.
Speaker 1: You know, it's interesting, there's a real change in the league, and I think it's one Adam Silver, the commissioner, wanted. I don't think it's a coincidence that Halliburton and Brunson are high iq EQ floor generals. You know, five years ago, it was let's get three really good players together, and I think Adam Silver looked at that and just thought, that's that's not what we want here. Like that's just eliminating half to sixty to seventy percent of the teams, and you're getting the basketball that Adam Silver wanted, physical playoff basketball, no dynasties with multiple aprons. You know, you can't have a stacked roster. Even Boston they cheated the code a little bit for a year and then they looked really old this year. Like once we move off bry Porzingis or a Horford or a Drew Holliday, Boston's going to face what everybody else does, right with new ownership. So I think it's it's what the league wanted. And I got to tell you what I really like about it. I love point you know, nothing against Wings, MJ and Kobe, but I like point guard driven basketball. I love smart point guard player. I always loved Chris Paul where everybody gets touches. I went golfing this morning, very early in Burbs and Chicago, and we started talking about Jalen Brunson, and we were all sports fans, and we were all like, yeah, I watched them at Villanova. I didn't see that. I watched them at Dallas. I didn't see that. But I think you know, you know how you and I had talked about certain players when the league went three heavy guys like Dwight Howard or Tristan Thompson, It's like, man, you can't have them on the floor. It's almost like Adam Silver has moved basketball into Brunson and Halliburton, which is it's not you're not gonna have the You're gonna have these rosters that aren't all star studied. Their they're rotational players, their role players, so intelligence everybody getting touches, pacing becomes huge. Like I look at Brunson now and I'm like, I feel like the league's kind of built for him. In Halliburton, it is. It's twenty eight points isn't necessary. It's it's when you can when you don't have a top heavy roster, Jason and you actually have seven guys that can play eight guys and you get them all touches. I don't know. I just I watch the league and I don't feel like the Knicks and the Pacers are outliers. I'm like, no, like they're They're my favorite two teams right now in the league to watch.
Speaker 2: I think you're absolutely onto something here, Colin. I think what we're seeing is offensive minded stars that are able to create advantages, and then these deep rosters of talent living off of that advantage. Essentially, Like as the game has modernized, there's a lot of really similar jobs on offense. Like a backdoor cut is a backdoor cut, regardless of what type of athlete you are. If you're attacking a close out, it's the same for the Pacers as it is for the Knicks, as it is for the Nuggets. If you're making reads in a four on three, slipping out of a ball screen because they put two on Brunson or they put two on Halliburton, it's the same reads in Golden State as it is in Indiana, as it is in New York. And so what happens is you can as a GM accumulate these types of talent, these two way players that can attack closeouts, make reads, play defense, you know, all that kind of stuff. And all it becomes is do you have a guy, a singular force that can constantly bring you to the ball or make the right reads to generate that first close out and then from there. It's a flow sport. It's all about the aggregate talent on the floor capitalizing on that advantage. But Tyrese Halliburn is succeeding because he's one of the best advantage creators in basketball. Brunson does it a little bit more of a lean towards scoring, but I mean keep an eye on this series. In this matchup in particular, the Pacers have been able to hold Brunson scoring down a little bit by constantly putting two on the ball. This will be a series where we're going to see a lot of Siaka or excuse me, og And Andobi and Mikhale Bridges and Josh Hart looking to make plays. It is a very interesting directional change for the league in this offensive theme that we're talking about. This is why guys like Luca are so valuable. This is why guys like Nikole Jokic are so valuable. When you have somebody that's like gott to throw multiple pieces at this guy all of a sudden, they're these really achievable roles appear for role players, and those are the kinds of guys that good gms are picking up all over the league. To Sam Presty's credit, he's got like eight of these dudes that can defend multiple positions, knock down a catch and shoot three, drive a close out, make a read or grab a rebound, and so as a result, they just they just come flying in. It's like, good, oh, good job, you finish the j dub in dort pace. Here comes case On Wallace and Alex Crusoe for your next shift. Have fun with that. They might actually be better at it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I I and I like it. I mean I don't think, you know, I think the league would do better if it's okay s well. Actually, Aunt Edwards probably Aunt against the Knicks would be really good to have Aunt go for forty two in the garden. You know it's fans Ola was root for the home team. So in the Knicks win, you know the fans are going to say, we told you so. I think a really fascinating team, though, is the one that long. We see this a lot in the NBA, the end of dynasties. That's not the case because the Celtics were never a dynasty. But I do feel like I felt when Denver won, I thought, oh, here come the Spurs, and then they weren't. And then I thought when the Celtics went, I thought it was gonna be like a three year run, and then they weren't. And next year obviously without Tatum. Tatum is fine if he misses four games, two games. When he misses the season, you can just it's just a different ball game because Jalen Brown can be a little hot and cold offensively. You know, Boston, and again, there's so many smart front offices in the NBA. We all we both kind of agree they're going to get rid of some kind of expensive older guys. Do you think do you think they'll go big game hunting in Boston.
Speaker 2: I don't think they'll go big game hunting right away. I think it's got to be more of a big picture, two year kind of window. To make this sort of transition because like, essentially you could take all next year, you own your own draft pick, so like you could be bad and that could lead into more talent coming in through the draft. There's the ability to offload like older role players in hopes of bringing back younger role players, So like flip a Drew Holliday to a team that needs a better player right away. Like for instance, like I would be calling Dallas and I would see what I could get for Drew Holliday, Like, Okay, we need a center, So they've got Daniel Gafford in PJ. Washington, They Cooper Flag is literally going to be playing the forward next to Anthony Davis, next to Derek Lively. Maybe we can turn Drew Holliday into PJ. Washington and Daniel Gafford. Now I got a four and a five that could both start in this league that are twenty six years old instead of thirty four years old like Drew Holliday is. I think I think those are the kinds of moves they'll be looking to make, and then it's essentially going to be just asset accumulation in hopes of being able to pivot around Jason Tatum in that following season. But this is the challenge, Colin. I mean, the Raptors win, they lose Kawhi than they end up losing the next season. Right, the Lakers win, but then Anthony Davis and Lebron get hurt. They make a tweak. They can't repeat the Bucks. They don't pay PJ. Tucker. Chris Middleton gets hurt. They can't repeat the Warriors that Jordan Poole and Andrew Wiggins both fall back to what they're normally like. The the Nuggets. They can't pay Bruce Brown and they can't pay Contavious Colbo Pope. Suddenly they are second tier contender the Celtics. These windows look long, but okay, c is gonna have to pay all these guys, right, And it's only a matter of time before suddenly it's Shay and j Dubb and some lesser level talent around them, and all of a sudden, it's going to be a harder game.
Speaker 1: The NBA eighty two game grind is done. Now the real fun begins. The NBA Playoffs love them, They're here. Time for drama, clutch moments. Steph Curry, Lebron, joh dropping plays, I can't wait. If you're looking to make the playoffs even more exciting, DraftKings sports but cash you cover. They're the official sports betting partner of the NBA, playing games all the way to the finals. Now's the time to back your favorite player and teams as they chase glory. So all season long, Draft Kings been the go to spot for NBA player props. That doesn't stop now. If you want to make your playoff experience even more intense, try placing a bet in your favorite player's performance. Will they drop thirty, forty, who knows or more? It's your call. If you're ready to place your first bet, download the Draft Kings sports book app. Takes ninety seconds, lock in your bets and let's make the playoffs unforgettable. Here's something special for first timers. Draft Kings customers that are new bet five bucks. That's it, five bucks and get two hundred bonus bets instantly. Just make it a playoff run to remember. With DraftKings. Download their sports book app. Takes ninety seconds to codes colin coli n that is code colin. New customers get two hundred bucks in bonus bets betting just five only on DraftKings. The Crown is yours.
Speaker 3: Gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler in New York called eight seven seven eight hope and wire text hope and y four six seven three six nine in Connecticut. Help is available for problem gambling call eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of boothill Casina w in resorting Kansas twenty one and over eight. Eligibility varies by jurisdiction Voyd and Ontario. New customers only. Bonus bets ekspire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issuance. Four additional terms and responsible gaming resources see dkang dot co, slash audio.
Speaker 1: And now for our next segment, Whiskey Business. Yes, Whiskey Business brought to you by Green River Whiskey, the official whiskey of the Colin Coward Podcast. You know, here's something else, and this is another shift which I think is great for basketball. I think with the nil more players will stay an extra year in college or go to college, So I do think when they enter the league they're more ready to play. I mean, we've had a lot of Jalen Greens over the last ten years. Like guys that are talented, but you just see in three years, you know, like get some polish. But if you play, you know, for Bill self or Hurley for even one year and maybe two, I'm not saying you're a Villanova guy, but you're ready to play in the league. And I do think the growth and explosion of NIL money actually helps the NBA. I think Adam Silver's always known there's you know, it's a little bit of a liability. First of all, you want more tape on a player, so fewer players are busts. Like NFL gms have such an advantage. They got three and four years of tape. And you're kind of guessing because college basketball coaches often control of the offense. You're like, is he a good decision maker? What am I getting? But you're going to get a couple of years of tape, so you have a better evaluation, and I think you're going to get more mature players. They're just more refined because I think college coaching and the college environment. We talked about this March madness, you know, conference championships, those are intense NBA feeling like environments. So I actually think basketball is in a really good place. I think, you know, baseball right now is so lobsided, you know where it's just like Dodgers are throwing out like eight all star level players. They're going through massive injuries and it doesn't matter. But I think asketball is in a really good place. And I think, you know, I think if when you start looking at the market, I don't think markets have the levers they used to like. I like watching okay See play. I'm fine with it, and I'm I've been kind of market sensitive in my life as a broadcaster, always kind of looked for the bigger, more interesting markets. But I don't know. I like watching Indiana. I like okay See. I don't have a problem with so I'm you know, I think the league would you know, we all know if New York faced Aunt, it would probably be the win. I will say this part of me thinks Minnesota. I you know, they always say styles make fights, Like I've gone to a lot of boxing matches and I have to watch two rounds to get really comfortable. I'm not sure. I don't have strong senses on the series. I like the experience of Minnesota and the coaching staff. I think Oklahoma City should win but I'm not sure. And I I think India is better than the Necks. I just I just think they have more depth. I think they again they I think, let's talk about that. I think Indiana and Carlisle has more lineups to throw at you. He's got a little more dexterity. That's that's my interpretation. You.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they are. They have like six different dudes that could go for twenty plus points on any given night, and they are. They play with such pace and they play with such energy. The reason why I like the matchup with the Pacers versus the Knicks. They the Pacers don't have a single player in this postseason Colin that's averaging over thirty five minutes per game.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: On the Knicks, Michale Bridges and Ojan Andobi are both averaging over forty. Yeah, all five starters are over thirty five minutes per game. They lean on a whole lot of the heavy minutes for their core five guys. What the Pacers do, as you've seen so many times already in this postseason, is you got them. You got them. You're up thirteen, you're up fourteen, and you feel, you feel like you're in good shape. But the problem is is like they make one layup and then they pick you up full court again, and then they do it again, and they do it again, and every time you turn it over, they run it down your throat again, and they play with so much pace and so much energy, and they literally never let go of the rope in the Knicks. As we've seen a ton of times in the Piston series and even in the Celtics series, they can have really sloppy nights where they get undisciplined, and I think they'll pay the price against Indiana in this matchup with that. Also, like to your point, I think the Pacers are just playing really good basketball right now. They're peeking at the tail end of the season. They've been playing like this for the last couple months. Really, They've been really cooking at this level. Tyrese Haliburton is playing every bit as well as Jalen Brunson, just in a different way because he's all like a Steve Nash than he is a legit on ball scoring guard. Siakam has a lot of similarities to og and Andobi. Aaron Nee Smith is literally averaging fifteen points a game in this postseason, and he's knocking every three down off the game. He shoot over fifty percent on open threes in this postseason run. Andrew Nemhart is just a playoff gamer who can do a little bit of everything. Miles Turner is shooting like forty five percent on threes in this postseason like they are just everyone's playing super well. They go like eight nine deep. They never stop coming at you. I have a feeling this is the last thing I'll say about it. It kind of reminds me Colling of the of the Golden State Warriors back in the day, where they play such a unique style that there's like this shocking off phase at the beginning of each series where it's like you're used to playing a certain type of team and then all of a sudden, here come the Warriors and they're running Stephan Clay through a million screens and it's just bizarre, and they catch you off guard and they go up two zero in the series, and all of a sudden, you're fighting upstream. The Pacers jumped the Calves in Game one and that was I know, get Garland didn't play. That's a good Calves team that was at home. They got punched in the mouth by the Pacers because they just they were not ready for the way they play, and the same thing happened to the Bucks in the first round. So like, I look at it as a kind of series where Indiana probably steals game one and then New York is fighting upstream against a deeper team that never stops play playing hard, that never plays their main guys big minutes, and I just think it's going to be too much for them to overcome. I do think the Knicks have a chance, but I would make the Pacers a decent favorite.
Speaker 1: Well. I think my take is if the games are close late, I love New York shot making ability. I think they're really good. I think they I think they're very physical, they're well coached, they make shots that are totally unselfish. But it's Brunson's team. I think if you told me there were three, you know, three twelve point games in the series, I'd take Indiana. Indiana can wear you out, and but I think those I think of the entire playoffs, if I had one kind of Wow, it was Jalen Brunson and the Knick shot making in multiple games against the Celtics, a good defensive team like wow, and it really, Jason. It really made me look at the Knicks differently from through a different prism. I really felt all year, go get you, honest, get Durant. You need a big piece, And I'm like, no, not really, I think you need a piece. I don't think it's a huge piece. I thought I thought Bridges, Oh, Gee's just big and physical. And again the league now has said we're gonna let guys like, oh, the league's stylistically is playing right into what the Knicks do. I think they need. I think they need. You know, can't doesn't defend Mitchell Robinson, you don't trust offensively. I feel like if you could morph and get you could get Listen, didn't we talk.
Speaker 2: About Harstein College like they should have just made some sort of salary dumping trade with Julius if that's what they were going to do, and just pick up Hartenstein because he would literally be perfect as per few way for this team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, he is. That's exactly right.
Speaker 4: But I I I don't look at the Knicks as needing a big swing. And a credit to the front office, the executive suite, which was impatient for years, the Knicks have made like McHale, Bridges I like the move, and then halfway through the season, I'm like, that's a lot of first for mcale Bridges, and then you watch in the playoffs, You're like, a shit, now this works. He's a really really good player and and he fits their culture.
Speaker 2: So yeah, they the Knicks. It came together in the right way for them late in the season. It started with a couple of different things, and mostly it comes down to me the conversation we were having earlier, which is all season long. When I watched the Knicks, I'm like, why are they bad on defense? They've got three really good They've got three really good defenders on the floor all season and like, and by the way, like McHale Bridges wasn't very good on defense this season. You know, Brunson and kat were abysmal most of the season on defense. In this postseason, McHale has turned into one of the better point of attack guys in the league. Ognobi's literally been flying around like prime Kawhi making plays, and Jalen Brunson outside of Game five against Boston, has been very good defensively in this playoff run. So what's happening is they're leveraging a higher level out of themselves defensively, and they've been a great offense all year long, and so it's really coming together in that way. I just worry. To me, I just think the Pacers are a little bit better. I just think they're a little bit better on defense, they have a better rim protector, they're a little bit better on offense, they're a little bit deeper. That to me, is what it comes down to.
Speaker 1: When you want to enjoy life simpler pleasures, reach for Green River Whiskey. Whether it's dry whiskey or single barrel bourbon, you're getting over a century of craftsmanship packed into every bottle. Hop on over to Green River Whiskey dot com and discover a legend in a bottle today. Well, think about this. That's why the t Wolves beat the Lakers. And I mean that's really it. That's why the t Wolves beat the Warriors. That I mean, if you say, well, they're deeper, that's why OKC beat Denver. I mean the depth thing. When you allow this level of physicality, it wears players out even and I think I think you're seeing that depth. Really in my entire life, there was always two things that were true about the playoffs. It was more physical and depth was overrated. You know, you play eight, you trust seven, and it was like, oh no, it's more physical and depth has been huge. I don't remember a year, but we all know veterans tend to be kids, that's kind of a given. But I don't remember a year to me where it was like one of the first punches is well they just have they have more levers. And I think Indiana and ok C probably should win this series because I never I mean when Denver won the title, we didn't think I mean they had KCP or Bruce Brown, we didn't. We didn't think depth, right, Yokich at the time was a poor defender. We didn't think about. We just thoughtless't they have the best player they've got. They were hitting on all cylinders, They had enough good guys off the bench. Depth matters, and I don't remember ever in my life being this big of a factor in the playoffs. Maybe I'm wrong.
Speaker 2: I think I think the physicality plays a big role. I think you're right. I think I think that the depth is giving you the ability to withstand physicality. I mean, right, ultimately, like Denver, Denver blew this series in Game four and Game five, when they had fourth quarter leads and all their stars looked exhausted down the stretch, while the thunder Stars looked fresh and they were able to make plays. The younger, more athletic, deeper team just came on strong late in the game. I think the second thing that the physicality has done, which has actually been pretty interesting, is do you remember colling over the previous few years, how we just had so many blowouts where like it just felt like teams would go back and forth, like blowing each other out. And I think one of the things that the increased physicality has done is it's made it really difficult to shoot threes because everyone's legs are cooked, and like even in this game seven, you see like no, no one's stepping. Like there's a whole lot of games where teams are shooting twenty percent from three and it's just a blood bath. And I think that's dragging the games down into like everything's finishing. Every You're looking at the clock and it's ninety three to ninety five with eight minutes left, and it's causing for a lot of great games.
Speaker 1: This is a great point because and I think you're right on, because I was talking about this the other day as we were preparing for a show. I'm like, man, just there's a lot of bad three point shooting nights. And I couldn't quite pinpoint it. But again, I think when you get into push push basketball and it's just leaning on each other, teams are tired and it brings the offense down, and I think that's a great point. In fact, what it also creates is when you're not hitting threes, you tend to you realize that the coaching staff knows it. Longer the series goes, you start shooting fewer. One of the things I never liked about three point shots is it's not you can box out all you want. The rebounds are long and weird and you can't. And so you can have great position. But when you're playing a more you know, a more physical game inside the arc, you run like traditional fast breaks, you get you know, a four foot carem, you get it the outlet. So the aesthetic of the fast break like, okay, see did it about six seven times over a five minute stretch. Oh, it looked like old playoff. It looked like old college, high school, old seventies NBA fast break. Here's the point card. Two guys in the wind wings fill in a guy's backpedaling finished with dunks. Three point shooting is so weird to me. I don't like the idea of you miss and a ball Karam's twenty feet out to the corner. It stops play. You come back up. I think, I really do. This is a cliche, but it looks it's giving me a little bit of a college feel and a little bit of an old NBA feel. And I've said this for years. I like the layered basketball more than three point shooting basketball. And I think your point's great is that the more you know, the unintended benefit. I don't know if they thought about this, but the more physicality, the lousier three point shooting, and the less you scheme up three point shooting, you're scheming up baskets. It feels like to me.
Speaker 2: No, absolutely, I think I think in general it's a better version of what old basketball looked like. It's physical, it's ugly, but you have the impressive skill level that we have in the modern NBA, and so it's kind of given us the best of both worlds. But I'm super excited for OKAC Minnesota. I'm with you in the sense that I have almost no feel for it, because Minnesota was a team that was much better than their regular season looked. If you talk to any Timberwolves fan all season, they were like, we just weren't playing as hard on defense as we did last year. Minnesota's a little bit. Minnesota has some more veteran guys than you'd think, Like Yalius is a VET, Rudy Gobert's a VET, Mike Conley's a vet. Like they're they're They've got some guys that have been around for a little while, and so they just kind of took it easy through the season. Oklahoma City everybody not named Crusoe, and their rotation is twenty six or younger. They've just been going crazy all eighty two games. And so they're two. There are two teams that I think, Okay, So He's probably not as good as they looked in the season. Minnesota is better than they looked in the regular season. Two great defenses, both anchored by both rim protection with Chet and Rudy Gobert, and two big looks with Nazried as well as Isaiah Hartenstein, elite on ball guard with size that can shoot over the top like Anton Shay. Just which one of them makes more jumpers over the top huge part of this series because guess what, there's not going to be a lot at the rim for either team in the series. Role player shooting you. We just watched Lou Dort and Cason Wallace and now Cruzo take a bunch of threes. It's going to be Jaden McDaniels, It's going to be Julius Randall, Nikhil, Alexander Walker, Dante DiVincenzo. I do think there's a real like veteran experience advantage from Minnesota, but Oklahoma City also has home court advantage, and they're probably just a little bit deeper, a little bit faster. So it's it's that's gonna be a fun one, Colin, and what like if we had to have the new guard for a playoff quarter final four? These are pretty interesting series. The Nicks and Pacers kind of hate each other. They've played each other in the playoffs before. Shaver's ant is literally the battle of the two best guards in the league. Right now, I think this is gonna be an entertaining quarter our semi final.
Speaker 1: All right, Jason timp hoops tonight a little shorter version as we get ready for the conference finals, I'm I'm just gonna watch the I'm gonna take Indiana and OKAC just because of depth and the coaching options. I don't feel great conviction. I feel I feel I think this is Ant's moment. Aunt's knocked a lot of good guys out of the playoffs. I mean, you start looking the last two years, ANT has knocked a lot of legends out of the playoffs. But it's not just an SGA thing. When you're watching them annihilate Denver in transition and in the paint, I'm like, Jesus, it's just a it's ten player, I mean ten rotation. That's just unheard of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I leaned slightly towards Minnesota right now. I think the thing I keep coming down to is Jay Dubb. And again, I'm gonna watch a bunch of film and I'll make my pick when I do my series preview tomorrow morning. But Jay Dub was super inconsistent in the series. Julius Randall's been fantastic in this postseason run. Geez, I even think I trust I think I trust nas Reed more to score the ball than Chet In terms of over the top seating and stuff. I think I trust Minnesota's experience. I'm leaning just slightly that way at this point in time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Randall's been a revelation in and and I think it was funny. I talked to Chris Finch off the air about him. I said, well, what do you make of this? He's like, he'll get there. He's not there yet. This was like three months ago. He's like, he's gonna get there, but we're asking him to do other stuff. He's become a much better distributor. I mean, his assist numbers are up, so it's like, and he's hitting three point shots. So yeah, it's funny. Two nicks, the shot making of Jalen Brunson and really a revelation in Julius Randall are my two sort of wow. I could remember when Julius Randall was a Laker. It was becoming a three ball league, and I can remember going to a Laker game saying, God, this guy's just a bit. He's a house like this guy is his body. He's like a thirty eight year old man, and thinking to myself, and I remember the Lakers were cool on him because he didn't shoot threes. And I'm like, yeah, but I'm getting like eighteen and eight. He defends. He's always got a smile on his face. Like I'm like, god, if he's not an NBA player, Like, what is the league? Remember when they said Zach Edy wouldn't fit and You're like, no, no, Zach Eat. He's fine in the NBA. Like I remember going to a Laker game watching him and thinking, dude, he's you know, he's just really consist His energy is great, you know what I mean, just like he's just he wasn't a pretty player. He was really old school. So I always love when a guy's coachable and coaches coach hard. I think Minnesota's done that with a couple of players, Like they coach hard and the players are like they digest it, they consume it, and it's I don't know, I think that. You know, when Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving said we don't need a coach, I'm like, guys, really, come on, give me a break. Like the great players all want great coaching. Come on. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The Julius Ryandol piece too. He's just so physically imposing, like he's a much better athlete than he gets credit for. I mean, I know, I know Lebron was forty, but he kind of kicked Lebron's butt athletically in that series a few times, and like he ultimately that's to me what makes him a good playoff player. I thought his playoff struggles originally were a little overblown because he was just injured. He was like either playing through an injury or had just returned from an injury and was clearly out of rhythm. He had a long runway this year and was playing great right when he like he was playing great when he got to the postseason. And he's a decent passer who legitimately can battle for position and make little short I'm shots in the lane that is going to help an NBA team in the playoffs. It's like he has a skill set that's kind of built for this environment. And I actually think he's defended really well in this postseason. And the one guy that I was really worried about him defensively with Steph Curry, and he got out of that matchup because of an injury, so it worked out pretty fine for him.
Speaker 1: First time in NBA history, we will have seven different champions in a seven year stretch, and I'm here for it. Jason Timp hoops tonight as Olas.
Speaker 2: Thanks Buddy, Good to see you, Colin, See you next week.
Speaker 1: At the end of the season, there's only one team that can call themselves NBA Champs, only one player that can call themselves the number one pick in the NFL draft. Well, there's only one electric suv worthy of the title, The Ultimate, the all Electric BMW IX. What I love about the IX is that it delivers legendary BMW performance I've had several while It's sleek design exudes innovative style from the inside out, not to mention how much space and utility it provides. Over seventy five cubic feet of cargo space. The IX is completely changing the game with an all electric SUV. The greatest legends of sports never compromise any part of the game, So why would you settle for anything less from your SUV? After all, there's only one ultimate, the BMWIX. Everything you love about the ultimate driving machine Electrified BMW