Speaker 1: Welcome to NFL Daily, where we hope to have a better time at Tottenham Hotspurs Stadium than the Jets.
Speaker 2: Did last Sunday. Get on a plane soon.
Speaker 1: Here in the Chris Wesleyan podcast studio with my friends Jordan Rodrigue and Colleen Wolf.
Speaker 2: We have had a news day here, Cola, lots.
Speaker 3: Of news already. It's been an eventful morning so far.
Speaker 1: It is before we started taping. Of course, Jordan Robert Sala lost his job with the Jets.
Speaker 2: Erry surprising.
Speaker 1: Drake May has already been named quarterback for the Patriots this week against the Texans. That's less surprising. And all of this is just getting in our way and of our segment. Guys who rule, Guys who rule.
Speaker 3: I know it.
Speaker 2: So yes, well, we'll talk news.
Speaker 1: Little while first and then we'll get to different guys who rule around the league or maybe just around the world. I don't even know how creative you guys decided to.
Speaker 2: Go with this.
Speaker 1: And we'll can see preview TNF, which is a fun one. This week Seahawks forty nine ers for the first place in the NFC West.
Speaker 2: Like, how are you guys?
Speaker 3: Oh, feeling great?
Speaker 1: You got your Philly sweatshirt on Bills play at two o'clock.
Speaker 4: Very excited about that, significant consequences.
Speaker 1: I know, what was your first reaction when you saw the Jets let go of Robert Sala.
Speaker 2: I was really surprised.
Speaker 1: It's a Tuesday, you know, they got back from London on Monday. They're two and three, one game out of first like the Monday night football game against the Bills is for first place. I did not see this coming. Neither did anyone covering the NFL.
Speaker 4: Neither did Robert Sala. According to the reporting that's that's out there right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there were reports that he was, you know, feeling positive about their chances this week, went into the building on Tuesday and was blindsided by the news.
Speaker 2: And how couldn't you be in it?
Speaker 1: And it's crazy because this is a team that, to me, has a lot of connections with the media.
Speaker 2: They're in New York, you got the.
Speaker 1: Front office in terms of the GM, Joe Douglas, you got Robert Sala, Like everyone has relationships here.
Speaker 2: I don't think anyone saw this coming.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't feel like I'm not surprised by it.
Speaker 5: I obviously there are tensions in that building and evidence by the performance in London on a huge stage, and Sala when he said that he wasn't panicked, nobody in the building was panicked. I think he underestimated that a little bit considering twenty four hours later he was fired.
Speaker 3: So I don't know if someone Sam Darnold was maybe the straw that broke the camel's back.
Speaker 4: But it's, oh my god, it's the fire time.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 5: I know the first time in Woody Johnson's twenty five year tenure that a head coach has been fired during the season.
Speaker 3: So this is unprecedented even for the Jets.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not something they've done it all.
Speaker 1: They actually haven't done it as an organization since nineteen seventy six. So that's why I'm surprised, because, like, what's changed so much? It's also week six, That's what I mean, So like what's changed?
Speaker 4: And frankly, and I'm going to cite Ben Solak for pulling the stats on this quickly over at ESPN. Since the twenty twenty one season, Robert Sala's first season in New York, the Jets defense ranks first in points per drive, first and EPA per play and third and success rate. Despite playing the fourth most snaps over that stretch because they've been in terrible offensive situations. And this is that's where I think the surprise comes from, is that there is no question that Robert sala is a really, really outstanding defensive coach. So I think living in that world alone, perhaps that's where some of the surprise for him comes from. But as we know, the ecosystem of that entire organization at times seems to carry him along for the ride. Less so of him or less so have him be the one with the power and the control. That's what it looks like from the outside.
Speaker 3: It doesn't fix the offensive issues, and that's the problem.
Speaker 1: Right it just feels very personal. Let's listen to Robert, I mean Woody Johnson rather than the Jets owner talking about the expectations, and I guess this is what helps explain why a move like this would happen only five weeks into the season.
Speaker 6: You know, I've been doing this twenty five years now. This is probably the best team I've had in twenty five years. I just spent felt that the best way to go forward with a new direction and taking Jeff Pulbrook and making him the interium head coach. I thought that would get the most out of this team and give us the best chance that we all want to all want to have, which is going to the playoffs.
Speaker 1: So Woody Johnson talking about this being the best Jets team that he's had, potentially, it reminds me so much of what Shad Cohn said before the season that this is the best Jaguars team they ever had. And the way I read into that is that that's what he believes based on what he's hearing from the media. The media has I think an impact on these moves sometimes and what he's hearing from the front office. Joe Douglas is out here the GM of this team. He's twenty nine and sixty nine. I believe since he's taken over, it's a totally preposterous record. And I know he took over a twenty nine and fifty nine. Sorry, I want to correct that. Twenty nine and fifty nine under Joe Douglas. He took over a tough situation, but they haven't improved much now. Robert Sala has a three fifty seven winning percentage that is the worst among active head coaches with at least fifty games except for Dennis Allen, but he has one forty nine out of one sixty three coaches all time with fifty games, so that's a pretty rough record twenty and thirty six as well. But it goes to I think believing the hype, and this tends to happen. I think in New York, like, this is not that talented of a roster. Why is this the most talented roster in Jet's history because they.
Speaker 2: Have Aaron Rodgers?
Speaker 1: Because your GM potentially sold this idea that we fixed this offensive line with like a future Hall of Fame left tackle and draft bis like, is the offensive line playing well?
Speaker 2: I don't see it, Like they're not playing well.
Speaker 1: Is Aaron Rodgers playing at a better than like league average level? Like, maybe that's an upgrade than over what they've had at quarterback overall, But.
Speaker 4: They didn't sign up for an upgrade. For just an upgrade. That's the thing about you got to give it, that's the thing that's I agree, But they didn't sign up for an upgrade. And that's part of the problem is that the thinking and the rationale here, the expectations seemed to be incongruous with where the state of the roster actually was right, and so it's sort of like, you know, unstoppable force meets a movable object. The immovable object in this case is you are going to give Aaron Rodgers a little bit more time coming off that Achilles. And yet you are thinking, as an owner probably and as a as a staff, that change has to be made. Where I'm confused is why that change wasn't made in adjustments to the offense versus firing somebody who was still running a significantly higher level defense year over year, even though the offensive issues and not fixing them enough do have. The head coach is partially to blame for that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the line in Woody statement that jumped out at me was when he was referring to Jeff Ulbrick and said he's a tough coach who has the respect of the coaches and players.
Speaker 3: On this team.
Speaker 5: I believe he, along with the coaches on the staff, can get the most out of our talented team and attain the goals we established in the offseason. Of course, that could just be said in any instance, but considering the circumstances, I'm reading a little bit between the lines there with that, and you can see that there's an issue within the coaching ranks with it. Maybe maybe it is the respect of the coaches and the players that was a problem.
Speaker 1: Right, you have to only go back a couple of weeks to think about the whole cadence issue publicly.
Speaker 4: Yea a facial expression talking about the cadence issue too between and Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 2: What about the hug and so about the hug?
Speaker 3: Right, there is the hands on the chest.
Speaker 2: There was the awkward.
Speaker 1: Rogers awkward hug, which if you're watching on YouTube you can see that. And they made that into Hey, this is no big deal, and I'm not saying that's the biggest deal at all. And there's all these reports coming out today that no, actually, Aaron Rodgers and Robert Sala had a good relationship, and I'm sure like on the face of it, it was good enough, But the reality is you had a public back and forth in a way that if you were emostally intelligent, which I think both these men are, but I think Rogers knows, especially that like he could have handled that in a different way that didn't make his coach look bad publicly. And all of that contributes the reporting around this firing indicates that the Broncos loss was just like a stunner to everyone, and just like, how long have you been in the NFL? None of this is that stunning. Like, first of all, the Broncos def is good. You're you're out there. It's a week to week league. Like you lost the game, it was by one point. Your offense actually looks, you know, significantly better than the other team's offense, and your quarterback look better for what it's worth in that game, and it was a one point game in the NFL. If like, your whole world is totally rocked by a one point loss at home to a decent team. It's like you're falling for the hype too much. Let's listen, as you mentioned Aaron Rodgers and maybe the respect in the locker room and all that. Woody Johnson was asked whether he spoke with Rogers before this happened.
Speaker 6: Well, I did talk to him the night before, but we didn't discuss this, you know, specifically at all. I mean we're basically talking about the previous game. And you know, his breaking sixty thousand yards sixty doan yard record and accomplishing that and sorry, I got hits so many times and that and how was he feeling. And No, in terms of whether I was going to do it or not, No, we didn't discuss that.
Speaker 5: I mean, just watching that game and seeing Aaron Rodgers after he did pass the mark of sixty thousand passing yards. It was in the middle of like one of the worst spots during the game, and he was so frustrated.
Speaker 3: And I remember we were watching it.
Speaker 5: We're like, wow, he looks so thrilled to have this milestone now, and it's just I mean, I don't know. I can't lie and say that I'm not surprised that this is happening.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I think too. Just to add on to that a little bit, statistically, productivity wise, the defensive side of the ball was not the problem with the defensive head coach. And so if you're pointing to this being a football decision or something to maximize the talent overall on your roster and you're not making that change or being patient with the side of the ball that is actually the one having the issue or not quite meeting the Again, extremely lofty expectation that just placed. When when those expectations circle around a team, any team, it does not matter what market you're in, it just clenches you down. You feel it in every like microscopic layer of that building. Whose expects maybe.
Speaker 2: They like in the perfect world.
Speaker 1: Here it's like it's a vibe change because Ulbrick is a defensive coach too, you know, he's the defensive coordinator and he's in the same tree. So not much as changing from the more successful side. There's just like a lot to push backcause.
Speaker 4: I'm saying, you can't call it a decision made for the best of the football team without acknowledging that the offense was the one that needed more time.
Speaker 2: And it was interesting.
Speaker 1: Jeff Olbrook said publicly today, we're going to take a deep dive on potentially changing the offensive play caller. When asked about that, I do I do not, he says, I do not see changes in titles and positions. But he's going to do a deep dive in trying to improve whatever process there is, So who knows there there could be some changes there.
Speaker 4: That was it is talked about before the start of the season. Was it not that they were going to look at, you know, what the offensive roles were.
Speaker 1: It was reported that they looked around at hiring someone over Nathaniel Hockett.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and you could see Rogers visible frustration on the field to get have him get the plays in faster.
Speaker 3: I mean they kept cutting to him over and over again.
Speaker 5: I just it feels very coincidental that Robert Sala this last game of his as a head coach was against Sam Donald in a loss, and his first game ever as a head coach for the Jets was against Sam Donald in a loss with the Panthers.
Speaker 2: I have another one for you.
Speaker 1: The last time Aaron Rodgers was under an interim head coach was Joe Philben.
Speaker 2: You might remember.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Mike McCarthy got fired about six years ago now with Green Bay and Philbin finished out that season and the most exciting game in that little Philbin run was a forty two to thirty six overtime win over the Jets and Sam Donald.
Speaker 2: It all comes back.
Speaker 5: This is the Sam Darnold Podcast, everybody.
Speaker 1: The one thing I would slightly push back about Sala and the defense would be that they are playing well this year.
Speaker 2: I don't think they are. They're like twelfth in DVOA.
Speaker 1: They've gone against the fifth easiest schedule in the league. They haven't been as good as they've been in previous years. But that also gets to my point where I disagree with Woody Johnson about the most talented roster that they've ever had, Like, this is the worst defensive line I actually think Robert Sala's had because you're missing a Son Reddick, you're missing Bryce Huff who's no longer there, and Quinn Williams isn't making the same impact that he had before, whether that's all on him or he just doesn't have as much help around him. Their defense, to me this year has been pretty close to average, and they need to be great and they've been okay.
Speaker 2: They've they've been okay.
Speaker 4: You also expect your offense to be great and the two sides to compliment each other in that way. Again, that's the incongruous expectation factor that we're talking about here and so and I think if you're twelfth in DVOA and you're missing a major pass rusher that you thought you were going to have, and then other personnel and you're still playing the Vikings, who have been one of the most explosive offenses in the NFL, you're playing like that in London where paid well, they're off the Vikings offense was in knots and ways that we have not seen in London, in front of everybody, in front of the world. I think that that is again that's where some of this becomes. That's where some of the quote unquote surprise factor. Although I we could sense that this has been clenching and clenching and clenching for some time.
Speaker 1: It's do it in the off season though, because like the thing is, if they're three and two, they don't make this move. So it's just like because you lost by one point, it just do it in the off season. Then if you're that ready to fire Robert Salad, do it in the office.
Speaker 5: And then all the reports just surrounding this, with Jonathan Jones saying that Robert Sala was considering firing Nathaniel Hackett.
Speaker 2: That's juicy.
Speaker 5: One the reports that Robert Sala was escorted out of the building and that's not something that is typically done. I just, you know, would be interested to find out the real story here.
Speaker 4: Joe Douglas, by the way, also reportedly in the last year of his contract. Really hard to make a full change mid season. If you're going to decide on one, something has to say react with the language of the building, not saying he's unsafe, not saying he's safe, just saying that's the reporting out there.
Speaker 2: I'll say he's unsafe.
Speaker 1: I mean, coming into this year, this felt like the biggest boom er bus season in the NFL that they had to make the playoffs or else it was going to be a clean house situation with Sala and Joe Douglas, who's had a lot of time there and I think gets a little extra protected because he's such a nice guy that everyone loves, like in the media and around and everything, and it just hasn't had the results there. Especially there is something about that he was an offensive lineman and he came in talking about it's all about the offensive line with the Jets, and that's been a total failure since he's been there, been one of them.
Speaker 4: I also say this respectfully, like Robert Sala became a head coach for a reason. But you're also not going to sit there and say, yes, you should be autonomously choosing all of these different quarterbacks, like six different quarterbacks in New York, Like that's the GM. The GM is, you know. I'm seeing a lot of tweets that are being sort of attributing that the quarterback misfunction dysfunction and rotations and reshuffling, where it says Robert Salo went through six different quarterbacks in New York. I'm like Joe Douglass went through those quarterbacks too. I mean, this is this is a shared situation, which is why I'm saying it.
Speaker 1: Is interesting that is he drafted he drafted Zach Wilson. There's layers to this, the fact that sala is considering firing Nathaniel Hackett, who has that close of relationship with Aaron Rodgers. It's just it's messy, but that's been the case for this organization for a while. They have one winning season since twenty ten. They have not made the playoffs since twenty ten. They have eight straight losing seasons. That is hard to do in an NFL where everything is set up for you to succeed. And yeah, it's hard not to think. Just like Eric Mangini on on Fox last week's say, and he thought it was going to be a big deal them playing in London where the owner was an ambassador and a lot of important people watching that game, and that that game would hold a little extra weight.
Speaker 2: And it turned out that way, and it does. It does.
Speaker 1: That does remind me like Woody Johnson didn't hire Robert Sala. That is always an important thing to remember, like who hired who. It happened to be at a time when he was no longer running the team. His brother, Christopher Johnson was running the team. So you can only presume that Woody Johnson will be picking the next full time coach.
Speaker 2: We'll see if it's a GM. I still think this team has a chance.
Speaker 4: I mean, Jeff Wilbrids, it's a good coach. I'll say that I watched him coach at the Senior Rowl this year. I was sort of shadowing a couple scouts for a project that I was working on for the athletic and got to see how he runs things, how he operates, really, how he connects with big.
Speaker 2: Hard knocks pop. I loved Defaulbrick hard knocks.
Speaker 3: He's awesome.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's a I think he's a really solid coach. It's always hard when you're an interim and you and it's like the organization is going to make whatever decision it wants at the end of the day. Other than in a very rare case such as the Antonio Peers situation where the players really speak up, and so this is a trial run for him, This is an audition for him. He's a really solid coach, but we'll see if this has a long term and a.
Speaker 3: Former player too, so he'll get the respect on the players.
Speaker 1: Interim coaches are all about vibes and energy. You're not going to change everything. And it's like Dan Campbell, fun interim coach when he was in Miami.
Speaker 3: Raheem was too.
Speaker 2: Raheem great one.
Speaker 1: Joe Vitt was a good one way back in the day. Antonio Peers certainly no.
Speaker 4: Even before it starts with a beat, Masaia Bisacia bump, there got it.
Speaker 1: Chaka who now is with the Packers, And Yeah, I think this Jets team, if I had to guess where they finish, it's about where I thought they would finish to begin the season, which is about nine wins, eight to nine wins, and that's probably not going to be enough, but they could be in the mix. They win that Monday night game against the Bills and they are tied for first place. All right, let's go to the other big news in the AFC East Patriots named Drake May the starting quarterback if you happen to listen to my Monday Night recap with Bridget Connon. We kind of felt this one coming. She's from Massachusetts, I'm from Massachusets. We had a healthy debate back and forth. I said, enough about this. I'm glad it is happening.
Speaker 3: You guys are my favorite mass Thank you.
Speaker 1: I'm glad it's happening. I know it's a tough matchup this week. Everyone's so worried that the football player is going to have to play football. But I think he's going to be fine in the end, even if he has a completely terrible game like every game has been for the Jacoby Brisent.
Speaker 4: I just think it's one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL.
Speaker 3: That's the thing that I'm view.
Speaker 2: I would say the.
Speaker 4: Weres, Yeah, well, I mean there's like Cleveland for example. Yeah, but this is there's a line I think, like, yes, football players need to play football, but there is a line that you cannot afford to cross with a young quarterback. Since this is the Sam Darnold Podcast, we've seen it crossed with players who still are developing, still need to really have a clean environment around them in order to actually operate and do football things. I think that if you cross that line where playing football actually isn't playing football, it's merely surviving, that's where you start to run into problems. So if they can try to be.
Speaker 2: That's at least total issue to me, at least try.
Speaker 4: To build an environment around him that allows him to at least get cleaner reps, then that's great. Football players do need to play football, But again, there's a difference between playing football and getting meaningful reps and simply surviving.
Speaker 1: Like, when can you promise me they're gonna have some clean reps in Foxboro twenty twenty seven, Like, there's no guarantee.
Speaker 4: That it means why they were playing Jacobe Brissett.
Speaker 1: Right, Like, but that's from what I've seen and what I think they're Like, I agree, like Darnold was put in a bad situation, but I've just seen so many quarterbacks be put in the absolute worst situations and be fine the next year. You really think that Alex Smith, like Eli Manning, like some of the the worst situations in NFL history, and if they're gonna have a career, like, they'll still have a career, And he's probably in by all accounts he's a He's a better football player than Jacobe Brissett.
Speaker 5: Really, you have as a rookie, He's going to come in here behind this offensive line and an offense that is so bad at scoring points and can't get anything going, and all of a sudden, this rookie with no reps is going to shine.
Speaker 2: No, no, I don't think that's going to happen.
Speaker 4: But I think I wants him to feel pain and no better.
Speaker 1: But I think experience not the Patriots.
Speaker 4: But it's like, I think experience is good on too.
Speaker 2: I think experience is a good thing.
Speaker 4: For I agree with you. I am not young players like.
Speaker 1: You put out these fourth round like their fourth Like they've got rookies that have never played and don't know what's going on on the offensive line.
Speaker 2: Is it too early to put them out there? You know what I mean? Like they have just as much responsibility.
Speaker 4: I think that comparing that very uniquely disastrous situation up front with other situations that have their own circumstances and variables is probably not the way to go here. But I think that again, I'm not disagreeing with you. He needs to play football. I am not disagreeing with you there I am simply saying there is a difference between takings as meaningful reps that build something that actually advanced the progress of a young quarterback who is developing, who will one day run like lead that organization, and simply surviving and simply developing bad habits because there is no chance you're going to get anything to do other than survive and protect yourself.
Speaker 3: Is Drake may more mobile than Jacoby Brissatt.
Speaker 2: I mean by a million factors?
Speaker 5: Yes, So then maybe that ends up helping helping him a little bit.
Speaker 1: I think part of it is they're giving him all these reps in practice, and this is just like little.
Speaker 4: He probably looks it looks great.
Speaker 1: The teammates are just kind of like, come on, bro, like come on, play way they got.
Speaker 4: It's a tough spot because you don't want to You also don't want to be the quarterback who's like, oh, they're shielding me, Like you can't you can't win win over the lockerer.
Speaker 1: Kobe's a good player, Like if he was with the Browns right now, they would have a winning record. Like him and Kevin Stefanski make beautiful magic like that, like he can play football.
Speaker 2: It is a brutal situation.
Speaker 3: So Drake May gets his first start against the Texans.
Speaker 2: That's going to be tough. Bless his heart, that's going to be tough.
Speaker 4: Blessed Jacoby Brisett's I do.
Speaker 1: Think, and I know they're not thinking this, but this is an entertainment product and no one wants to watch the Patriots. They're awful, like, and this gives people a reason to watch. It's not the reason they're making this decision, but I do think, like these guys are in it to make money and have like a product like that makes money, and like this team couldn't be less entertaining, and Drake May is a reason to care and like a reason to watch the rest of the season.
Speaker 2: I think that alone. Hey, that breaks the tie. Let's go.
Speaker 1: He'll be fine, all right, we are going to take a quick break on the NFL daily.
Speaker 2: I'm worried about him too, but it should be fun.
Speaker 4: To get the crap kicked out of it.
Speaker 2: Why would I want that? I think he's great, that's going to happen.
Speaker 1: I loved him as a prospect, so that's certainly coloring my thinking in the preseason and the little time we had. I mean, yeah, it's like a little scattershot, but you're gonna see some fun games.
Speaker 2: It is a one o'clock game, I believe on Sunday.
Speaker 1: Look looking forward to that, looking forward to our guys who rock segment, guys who rule, Maybe they rock.
Speaker 2: Back on NFL Daily.
Speaker 1: It's a segment that's taken many different forms. It really has gestations.
Speaker 3: I've watched it grow up right in front of my eyes.
Speaker 1: I've got a suitcase packed in the newsroom. I'm headed. I've heard on an airplane a lot.
Speaker 3: Of stories about the suitcase.
Speaker 5: Greg, it's you know what people are talking about. The streets are talking here?
Speaker 3: What about media?
Speaker 5: And if you want to see that's next to a desk, So it's the size of a I guess a standard desk.
Speaker 4: It's a waist high desk.
Speaker 2: Yes, if people want to check.
Speaker 4: Out the standard height waist.
Speaker 1: Gigantic suitcase, why not take a gigantic suitcase. I was packing a normal suitcase and everything fit fine, and I was like, well, what if I want to buy a bunch of stuff there for the family, for you guys.
Speaker 2: You know you know, I'm buying a big old suitcase to bring the stuff.
Speaker 4: My arm I will accept gifts.
Speaker 1: But yes, I am a small man, so having that thing next to me, it's like my big brother.
Speaker 4: My reaction when I want. When I saw him walk into the newsroom today, it just brought me joy.
Speaker 1: Now I'm annoyed. I am I'm ready for this segment. It started out as what was it? Weird guys who rule?
Speaker 3: Guys who rule? I don't even know who we were talking.
Speaker 2: About the you know then guys who rule?
Speaker 1: Guys who Thursday, your cousin is a weird guy who rules in the nicest wave pop. But this is more, this is simplified.
Speaker 4: I was also an I p A text, Yes, yes, from all the pablished, all of us mutual, I pas, this is.
Speaker 3: A great idea.
Speaker 1: I was not drinking an IPA. I was working that night with Daryon McCoy. I was I was making some podcast magic. But I'm excited about this, Colleen. Why don't you get us going?
Speaker 4: All? Right? Guys who guys who rule?
Speaker 3: The Harrison's from Minnesota.
Speaker 5: Harrison Phillips and Harrison Smith arriving to London. Wait until you see how they looked, looking like a peaky blinder's absolute vision and they had the dark three piece suit on the overcoats the Jeff Caps. If you check out the Vikings Instagram, it has an incredible song playing.
Speaker 3: It's raining. It's a whole vibe.
Speaker 5: Harrison Phillips has a pocket watch, so they looked very London.
Speaker 3: Shake here, but also kind of dangerous, which I like.
Speaker 5: So maybe they could like rule the city, you like, in some type of underworld that's going on in London.
Speaker 3: That's sort of what I've played out in my head.
Speaker 5: However, both Harrisons then went on to sack Aaron Rodgers in that game. Harrison Phillips he had said that Rogers, of all of the quarterbacks playing right now, is his favorite, absolute favorite to play against because he's one of the smartest out there.
Speaker 3: So I love that he ended up taking him down in London.
Speaker 5: Also, he honeymooned Harrison Phillips in Europe this past summer and said that he often got recognized, which I love for him. And it's also just like a show of how popular the NFL is everywhere, especially just as a defensive tackle he's getting.
Speaker 1: I can't imagine he would get recognized many places outside Minnesota, but vis travel, I think they were probably out there having that get.
Speaker 5: Recognized, Yeah, Harry ninety nine on Twitter, he is. But then Harrison Smith, Harry the hit Man. He also had a sack of Aaron Rodgers celebrate it with the Belt championship celebration that Dodgers double guess, the discount, double check. And then there were all of these fun things that I saw about him. How in the off season this past off season, when free agency was approaching, he kind of forgot that free agency was coming and he was like, oh, I should talk to my agent about this because he was working as a carpenter and a welder with his brother in law. Wow, he also fixes bicycles and builds furniture, and a couple of off seasons ago he bought a plot of land and talked about renting bulldozers, digging ditches and laying the wiring because that's the most fun thing to do in the off season. So Harrison Smith and Harrison Phillips the Killer Harry's I love them.
Speaker 1: I can't believe how much Harrison Phillips rules. I mean, listening to you talk about him for a while until we got into some of the the track, what was the thing at the very end that he was buying the plot of land.
Speaker 2: For the bulldozer. That's Alo the smith Okay, that's here.
Speaker 3: He also has his pilot's license.
Speaker 1: Like what they all kind of almost sounded like they were Colleen's Like, if you were an NFL player, you would maybe if you gee, if you were an NFL player, you wouldn't forget that free agency was coming up because you had some weird side job to try to.
Speaker 5: I felt like it was so relatable and we're seeing I'm like, oh, what time of.
Speaker 2: Year is it again?
Speaker 3: It's coming up so soon.
Speaker 4: Summer of Harry.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I also like that we talked about a Vikings player other than Sam Darnold.
Speaker 2: All right, you got you go another guy.
Speaker 4: I had one too, Vibes vibes alone Van Ginkel as a Viking. But oh, I want to get to guys to rule. I want to do get to a safety cluster. First cluster of three safeties who I think totally rule. Jakwan Brisker, Jesse Bates, Xavier McKinney. Big NFL wants you to devalue the safety position, but these three players are perfect representatives of the twenty twenty four defensive renaissance. They are physical enough they can roll down to blitz er defend the run. Although Xavier McKinney plays deep, they can play in the slot. They are fast enough to rob the field, and they're legitimately affecting games week after week. Jawan Brisker hope he and Tommy Trumbull are both do okay by the way, A sack of pressure, an interception, two pass breakups, one force fumble, and forty tackles. Jesse Bates, who Arthur Smith referred to him as when they were getting ready for the matchup as the Falcons. Jason Bourne said that the Steelers changed their entire offense to avoid the middle of the field just to take out baits sorry calling against the Eagles. Ice the game. He's got three pass breakups, a pressure, a hurry to force fumbles, an interception, thirty seven tackles, and Xavier McKinney has made history as the first player on a new team to have an interception in five consecutive games, and his DC Jeff Hafley called him the best safety in the league. These dudes are the new era of safeties and yet somehow very vintage in a way as well. These dudes freaking rule.
Speaker 1: They do, they do rule and the safety position rules. It's always ruled, and it's crazy to me to your point, how undervalued it is. You can get a pretty mediocre cornerback in free agency for more money than the top of these safety market gets. I mean, McKinney ended up getting paid pretty well, but when you compare it to other positions, it's really not that much.
Speaker 2: And I think you said it very well.
Speaker 1: They are showing that they are way more valuable, let's say, than like a slightly better than average corner I.
Speaker 4: Agree one hundred percent. And they're being asked to do more too. They're asked to play more positions. This is the true hybridization of the defensive backfield. It's happening there. You're watching more safeties play in the slot than ever before. You're watching sub packages feature multiple safeties versus relying on corners. And you have to because offenses are understanding that now they're getting bigger and more physical and they're trying to attack smaller defenses. Okay, well, enter guys like this who rule, and they're saying no, they can do a variety of different things, and they are actually the fact that they are legitimately affecting games in this way is significant because again, the position market wants you to think that they're just sort of back there doing something every year.
Speaker 1: I overrate them on the top one o one free agents. Maybe I don't overrate them. I know they ruled the but relative to what they make on the open market, it's like, all, I have so many safeties near the top, and then they just sit out there on the market and people, oh, fine, we'll sign them for.
Speaker 2: Like eight million dollars. The running the defense pretty.
Speaker 4: Much, that's Oh, I like how you put that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, very well said.
Speaker 1: And yeah, you know who doesn't rule is the concussion spotter at the Bears game last week in the protocol not to get serious hearing.
Speaker 2: A fun segment. What the heck? Greg?
Speaker 1: Sorry, but it's like, this is the guy who's had three different concussions now in his career, and you're not protecting the players from themselves. He had to report it the next day. That's a that's a bad job. And I feel like we're seeing that. Let's get to something more fun. Let's get to Brian Thomas junior. My god, you know what rules? Speed rules? No one ran faster on a football field then Brian Thomas junior on that long touchdown pass against the Colts, which unfortunately got a guy fired. The Colts cut their cornerback a day later after giving up this touchdown, and that's not nice. And it's nice to have great speed. We knew that about Brian Thomas. But the thing that really impresses me so far this season are his hands and his versatility.
Speaker 2: He is ready to go.
Speaker 1: He's scoring touchdowns, but I went back watched his targets and he's been really good on inbreakers. I'm not saying he's Chris Godwin, but people thought he was this one trick pony coming into the league. And he can run routes and because of that speed, which is maybe the best in the entire league, Like it's Tyreek Hill level speed, it's Rashid Shaheed level speed. Look when he breaks off his routes when he's doing some of these comeback routes that I watch, like he's opened by five yards because people are just so afraid and there's been a lot of contested catches on the go balls. He has more long receipt than any rookie in the league, almost in any player in the league. He's averaging eighteen yards per catch. I mean he's in the top like seven or eight of just yards in the league right now. Uh, he is absolutely awesome, and yes, does does it help that he's helped being to confirm my priors. Let's throw up the tweet I had, yeah, you know before the draft, when I wrote my only draft takes so far is that you can't take Brian Thomas Junior too high?
Speaker 4: Okay, fine, feeling good about.
Speaker 2: Feeling good because you know who else who rules? I roll with that. I'm sorry. I was not expecting.
Speaker 5: Security had to escorre right out of building today.
Speaker 1: This has been a lot of shows this week and not a lot of sleep and packing.
Speaker 4: Soup for lunch.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love soup for lunch.
Speaker 1: I to hud War Nosol and it.
Speaker 4: Made you feel a little spicier than.
Speaker 2: It was really spicy, and I love spicy food. No, it was great. I just it was.
Speaker 1: It was a lot, and I liked it. I just didn't expect such an intense lunch. But I applaud the huddle that was before this for going big.
Speaker 4: Yes, intense intense show.
Speaker 6: You know it was.
Speaker 1: I was I was sweating that aggressive that pazzole was the Brian Thomas Junior of the huddle's menu options like big and bold and coming right out of the gate as one of the best in the league.
Speaker 2: And you got to recognize.
Speaker 3: And you're getting on a plane right after this. I hope you're okay?
Speaker 4: Is that like a bad We talked about digestive food.
Speaker 2: I was like, she thought soup would be good. Why am I going over this with you guys? All right? Give me another guy who rules, okay.
Speaker 5: I we saw him last night on the field, and he is not one of the players. He is one of my absolute favorite figures in the entire NFL.
Speaker 3: And no it is not Big Red. It is Steve Spagnolo. I love Spags so much.
Speaker 5: We know what he's been able to do with this defense and how for so much years it was the offense that was powering the Kansas City Chiefs, and then at some point last year actually kind of from the beginning of the season, the defense quietly started being the engine of this team. And Steve Spagnolo, he is just such an interesting person. He got married at the Vatican, which is just like a really random fun fact. His wife, Maria makes the most incredible Italian meatballs you've ever had in your life. And Chris Jones frequently will request the meatballs before big games, so she will make Chris Jones some homemade meatballs and then he goes out and balls out for Steve Spagnolo's defense. So he's just one of the nicest guys in the world, and he's so talented. I love to see his defenses thrive.
Speaker 4: I love when he goes and tries to call timeouts. Yeah, so he can't because he's not the head coach, but he's like transported to another time and a simpler time perhaps, or he could actually be the one to call the time.
Speaker 3: He needs a shot. He needs a shot as a head coach again.
Speaker 2: Does he though he does because he was not well, No, he wasn't.
Speaker 1: And there are people in the in the RAMS building at the time that would agree with you that that he could have been a really good head coach. And that was a brutal situation in Saint Louis for a variety of reasons. They were personnel being part of it, and yes, that hanging over them being another. But I would push back and say when they showed those Super Bowl wins he had last night on the Monday night football yeah, broadcast. I was just thinking, like, wouldn't you rather have Steve Spagnolo's career than virtually any head coach of the last like twenty five years? Like isn't it a good thing to be happy with what you do? Maybe have like slightly less stress than that the headman does, more job security because he's so good at what he does, working for a great man and Andy Reid that he loves with great players in a great situation, Like isn't that better than basically any almost any head coach resume and just life that you could come up with over the last like fifteen years.
Speaker 2: He's He's done it.
Speaker 5: I know I've talked about this on the show before, but it was just such a moment after the Super Bowl when I grabbed him and the confetti was still falling, and he had tears in his eyes, and he was just like this defense is it. We're never all going to be together again. And he just came from such a like it almost felt like a dad place and these were his kids and he was so happy and so proud, but so it was so bittersweet for him, and he just I mean losing lagarious need. He wasn't sure, obviously about Chris Jones, and you know how important Chris Jones is to that defense, but just those personal ties, it just makes me like him so much more because the game means so much to him and you can see those relationships how they are.
Speaker 2: In his life.
Speaker 4: I do doubt that he'll get interviews, but I would posit. I would posit that he I think is wise enough now to know the difference between jumping into a terrible job, which we talked about. I mean, there's a lot of them that can exist in specific, few in particular, and jumping into a bad one versus you know, accepting and really understanding the value of your own situation. I just think he's he's you know, I don't want to see call him old, but he's wise enough. He's old enough, experienced enough to understand the difference between the two things because of all the experiences he's had. I also love that he reminds me of like someone who could be running a surf shop and Ventura, Yes, you know, like and then.
Speaker 3: But they have the shorehouse down at the Jersey Shore.
Speaker 4: Okay, so that's like there's something beachy there going on. Yeah, there's something paddle board situation.
Speaker 1: I love that, and they're getting better every week too. Defensively, they're sort of the opposite of the Jets. They've had the second toughest schedule for defenses, and so that's why some of their numbers aren't like amazing. But now you watch in a game against like a Saints team, which isn't you know, quite as good, and they they dominate, but they've had to play Baltimore, They've had to play Cincinnati. These teams always get better as you go. And you're right, You're kind of like if I had a Colleen Doll and I and you you like pulled, you know, the string at the back to mak or talk like Colt stuff would come out and Steve Spagnolo stuff would come out. There's always like every couple of months swinging in a nice little Steve Stagnolo bag.
Speaker 2: Season.
Speaker 3: It's starting early this year.
Speaker 2: I absolutely love it. All right, give us uh.
Speaker 4: Okay i pat certain rules, rules, rules, rules rules.
Speaker 3: That's a good one.
Speaker 4: Two interceptions against the Raiders, including one hundred yard pick six, during which he reached a top speed of twenty point nine to two miles per hour according to next Gen Stats. Four targets across forty coverage snaps, so highly productive on the targets that he was given. I guess so he has shadowed Mike Evans, dk met CAF, Garrett Wilson, George Pickens and collectively allowed against those guys eight catch for eighty five yards and then just two more receptions this last weekend craze. He's not actually been targeted much because why would you target him, but it's when he is. It's a fifty two point seven passer rating. And guys, this rules the most. Next Gen Stats always does these matchup boxes on their website and they always go, you know, Pat certain versus X receiver, Pats certain versus X receiver, and from the Raiders game, it literally just says Pat certain versus Raiders offense. This guy freaking rules.
Speaker 2: He absolutely does. And I do like that more than other positions.
Speaker 1: It does feel like one cornerback always has the belt, you know that more than other And maybe it's because they like to talk it up and it's the bravado of the position and you're just out there on an island and there's always like one quarterback who has it cornerback and right now it's it's certain.
Speaker 4: I want him to does he have a cool nickname? I want people to know. I'm not sure he's at that status like lockdown lockdown status to where I think he deserves.
Speaker 1: There's so few players in the game that even get a chance to that, Like Sauce Gardner could do that, but they don't use him that way.
Speaker 2: They well, I'm.
Speaker 5: Certain that of certain bad. Yeah, it's fine, that's fine, So you need to start somewhat.
Speaker 1: That's fine, all right, you know who's not fine having a trouble here. I'm not going to go under the radar. I'm going to go with c J. Stroud just because there are few players in the NFL that I would rather watch or hang out with, Like he might be number one at the apex of just like, hey, if you could just get a beer with a player c J. Stroud, he just seems like an awesome guy. But also, if there's one player I could choose to watch play the quarterback position, and I think if I was starting a team and just one quarterback I could have. I know there's a lot of great ones, it's c J.
Speaker 2: Stroud.
Speaker 1: I mean some of the plays that he made in this Bills game and yeah, yeah, the two turnovers and if you're watching it on YouTube, you can you can see on the Kojis film just these throws into apps tight windows. He's the type of quarterback I love. Like to me, he sees the game so beautifully. He can make every certain throw that you want to make, whether it's touch, whether it's power.
Speaker 2: The accuracy is crazy. He knows when to go for it.
Speaker 1: He goes through his reads so fast, and I think right now he and Nico Collins are playing so well. It's totally covering up for a poor coaching job by this Texans offensive staff. Like they are sloppy, not just the penalties and the terrible run blocking, but even the passing game seems a little disjointed. And there's a lot of pressure in c J. Stroud's face and he just makes it work and he would never blame if anything. He is building everyone up around him. He seems like a true leader. He is my favorite player in the NFL. I think, yeah, Gino's there too, but just like he is the dude c J.
Speaker 4: Stroud, Yeah, he rules. And you know what I like about him too, among many things, is that this is you knew that the defenses of the league. We're going to try to catch this offense this year. They were going to try to do different things to try to expose some of the weaknesses. Not having Joe Mixon also really has hurt them as well. But in terms of that lack of I guess cohesion that you're talking about, you knew that they were going to try to disrupt them in certain ways. But you have an elite problem solver, Yeah, in c J.
Speaker 3: Stroud.
Speaker 4: Not only do you have an elite tool if you're a coach, an elite tool with which to problem solve because c J. Stroud is that person and player. But he himself is doing that. He's not making he's not repeating mistakes. Really very rarely do you see him make the same mistake twice in one game. Let's let alone twice in one season. And that's other than the fact that he also he knows ball to the point where his quarterback and league takes are excellent, and I love that he like doubles down on them too, like he knows that he's right, and it kind of he kind of reminds me of you in a way. Greg knows that he's right and doubles down.
Speaker 2: Greg.
Speaker 4: My god, we build him up just to break him later in the show. That's you know, but yeah, he rolls. I'm with you one hundred percent.
Speaker 3: He gets better every single week, it almost seems like.
Speaker 5: And the only thing I'm worried about now is Nico Collins being hurt and how that kind of changes the offense with all of the things that he's already making up for.
Speaker 1: I think it would have been natural for him to take a little bit of a step back this year, which with defenses preparing, and I think that is sort of happening opposite him. But he is just too good and too smart to let it happen to him individually. Problem solver is a great, great way to put it. Let's do a speed round before we go, so we'll just be quick on the rapid fire.
Speaker 2: Go for it.
Speaker 3: This is super quick. I will let you guys listen first to who my guy is that rules.
Speaker 7: Here we go shucking down and gold Homes in the gun the two in New Orleans, p Ryan in motion, there's a shotguns, no, the fake run off, the quick forth, the goal wanders to fin It's in or something on the play by Saunders. He runs the big name the ten he'arsold line twenty on the near side line thirty kind of blocking from behind, the former chief is taken down by sad Man. Got it on the look of shit at the goal line on a pass intended for Smith Schuster.
Speaker 2: A thick pick.
Speaker 3: That's the part that I love the pick.
Speaker 5: I mean, Kevin Harlan is my all time favorite broadcaster.
Speaker 3: He comes up with these things right on the spot.
Speaker 5: I mean, there are some of the most epic games that I've listened to him call the black Cat that came out the guest game.
Speaker 3: I'll never forget that.
Speaker 4: I love.
Speaker 5: When I leave here on Monday nights, after I finished the pregame show with Mooch, I always put on Westwood One and I listened to Kevin Harlan and Kurt Warner on the call and it's my favorite. And I text Kurt throughout the whole thing, and it's just Kevin Harlan. His voice is incredible. He's on it all the time, and he's funny. He's low key funny, maybe high key funny.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 1: I mean, as he's making that call, he is thinking in his head, thick pick, I have this in it at the very end, and he's such a good broadcaster. No fault of Ross Tucker there, who's filling in for Kurt Warner, because.
Speaker 4: I recognize Ross did a good job of letting him take the.
Speaker 1: Lead there, absolutely, but Ross did kind of come in and stepped on the thick pick. So Kevin Harlan knows, I need to say it again to make sure everyone hears it. What a great call.
Speaker 4: I love it, I love it.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 4: Okay, I think that Tory Taylor the Bears, Oh yeah, rules, rules, rolls, rolls rules. He is a twenty seven year old rookie in Auzie who didn't start playing football until twenty nineteen.
Speaker 3: William is a football player.
Speaker 4: Famously, Williams famously texted him when he was drafted in the fourth round that they wouldn't be punting much. Plot twist. The Bears punted more through the first three three four games than any other team in the league. But he's single footedly ices teams by flipping field position. He iced the Rams game his four punts that day. Four of his punts that day were inside the ten, including the game ceiling one that landed at the eight. Jalen Johnson said I haven't been that pumped up for a punt in a long time.
Speaker 2: Ah, I love it.
Speaker 4: Tory Taylor rules.
Speaker 1: I love his attitude. I heard him say, I want to go out there and dominate the game when I have the ball. I get to have the ball like five to eight times a game. I want to dominate. You just don't hear punch your I absolutely love that. My last guy who rules is Brock Bowers. This guy's better than I think we expected coming into the NFL. That touchdown that he had his first career touchdown, that is one of the best first career touchdowns of all time to moss a guy like that and then race in for the long score. He I think has as much burst as any tight end in the history of the league, even just those little short routes that they were throwing to him on Sunday's game, Minshew, and his ability to go from zero to five is special. It's crazy. It is so much better than most wide receivers. I mean, and he's playing tight end. I really think he has a chance to be an All timer. And the more I watch him, I just think he's really exciting.
Speaker 2: He rules.
Speaker 4: I'd call him a power receiver or something like a hybrid because he's going to be playing receiver, but he has the power and the strength and the ability of a tight end and can obviously do some things in the blocking service as well. But like we got to think of a different name, yeah, that position, because he's going to be doing things that are not But he's out there.
Speaker 1: He's playing tight end. They're using him all over the place and stuff. He's doing the thing where he's messing up the app they posing formations, he's playing a little fullback. He's blocking some too. He would probably rule a little more if he just came home, you know, and just shaved that head. But he's going strong O wow.
Speaker 3: Personal attack.
Speaker 2: I mean, he knows it. He knows it. He's heard it a lot.
Speaker 3: Rock Bowers is incredible.
Speaker 5: They do need some type of subset though, in the tight end category for these incredible pass catchers. And Daniel Jeremiah talked about brock Bauers leading into the draft how great and talented he is and how he should be taken as high as he ended up going.
Speaker 1: And I think he's already right there with the best players at his position as a rookie, which is wild let's take one quick break. We're gonna wrap up with little t NF preview after break, forty nine Ers Seahawks.
Speaker 4: Guys have a rule.
Speaker 1: All right, It's time for TNF Preview presented by Amazon Prime Video talking forty nine Ers Seahawks. Interesting timing for this game on Thursday night. I'm gonna miss it. I'm at least gonna miss the TNF recap. I know that both teams, I think, are coming off of humbling losses, losses that make you question your team inside the building, that maybe we aren't as good as we thought we were. Now they're facing each other three and two SEAHWK two and three forty nine Ers. We could have a situation Jordan where there's not a team in the NFC West with a winning record after Week six, which is pretty surprising for what we thought was gonna be one of the best divisions in football.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it still could be down the stretch. Guys get healthy on a couple of these teams. But this is this is gonna be an interesting game, not just because the stakes feel high in terms of needing to get back on track a little bit, but you can see certain flaws that might not be fixable just by getting people healthy, getting people back in the roster. On both sides, forty nine ers defense looks a little suspect, more suspect than we thought it was gonna look. And then on the converse, the pressure, I mean, it's just awful. You could see it start to wear, it wear a little bit on Gino, who's having to complete over fifty five percent of his throws under two point five seconds or less. He's been playing out standing football, but how sustainable is this when the tackles are not holding up in a big way?
Speaker 1: Sunday was crazy. His time to throw is like two point three in that game. He's like Aaron Rodgers out there. They're both just getting rid of the ball so quickly. And but Gino's not doing it because like he doesn't want to get hit. In fact, he's running better than ever he had. He's one of the has one of the most rushing values in terms of EPA and QBR in the league.
Speaker 4: But he's doing it to try to make positive plays head right, because there's nothing else they can do because the pressure that the outsides, especially the interior, is given up. You know, some I think it's like thirty eight pressure or something like that. But the exterior is now, what really you know, at least you thought you know Charles Cross was going to hold up. But both of those tackles are really struggling right now.
Speaker 2: They are.
Speaker 5: And I mean to your point, Greg, these the losses that they're coming off of. I mean, I was so surprised that the Seahawks lost to the Giants and that the Giants looked as good as they did. So the Niners though, too, I mean, blowing that lead. Now they're zero to two in the NFC West, they're oh and three in the NFC. All of this is going to factor into a potential tiebreaker at the end of the season. So this game is so massive it's almost like who is more desperate And it shouldn't be this high of stakes this early in the season, but it actually is. And the Niners are having massive red zone issues without Christian McCaffrey. They can't figure that out. Six red zone trips only one touchdown. They were the best in the league last year in red zone efficiency. So there's just a lot of issues on both teams that they need to figure out on a short week with a lot of injuries.
Speaker 4: And they can't even rely necessarily on their field goal unit at this point, even if they do struggle in the red zone because Jake Moody has got a high ankle sprain and they had to go sign matthew Wright because they were in sort of a sudden change who was kicking the ball for US situation in the last game. So even with the red zone, you can't be certain that they'll come away with points at all in that situation.
Speaker 1: Right, And the Seahawks probably look at the forty nine Ers, if they're being honest, and say, hey, actually, this is a team that we should be able to protect Gino Smith against. Yeah, they have Nick Bosa, but hopefully you know, Charles Cross can help there and you chip them when he's on the other side. But other than that, it's it's pretty thin in terms of the forty nine ers pass rush. And they had that one where you play the Patriots and everyone feels good about their pass rush after they play the Patriots.
Speaker 2: And then it's a comeback down to earth game.
Speaker 1: They're a little banged up there, but they also lost Yetur gross Matos, who is playing at defensive tackle. I didn't think they were as deep as they could have been to begin with, and then they've had injuries on top of that. So it's not the forty nine ers defense that you know that in theory you love. The Seahawks would love to run the ball. I think a little bit more and better. They are number one in the league the last month in terms of neutral like passing rate, which means on normal down and distance, they're just passing the ball all the time. You would like to see Kenneth Walker get involved, but yeah, partly because they don't trust their their run blocking that much. I came away from these two games a little stunned, Like if you just watched it on red Zone a little bit, or you saw how the forty nine Ers blew a lead, or it was the field goal block in Seattle and you think, okay, well that sort of things happened. It's like, no, the Giants could have won that game by twenty They dominated in both trenches. They were the better team by a good amount, and the Cardinals were similar. I think the Cardinals were a better team that they who had some bad luck on a return touchdown and they still found a way to win that they kind of got physically manhandled.
Speaker 2: You just don't normally see that with the Fortunes.
Speaker 5: The Giants ran all over the Seahawks in this game, one hundred and seventy five rushing yards, where at the Giants they were averaging about eighty five rushing yards per game coming into this. They also didn't have Devin Singletary, so it was Tyrone Tracy who had one hundred and twenty nine rushing yards on eighteen carries.
Speaker 3: Like he went off.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if there's one coach who I know is going to just hunker down and run the ball at somebody, it's going to be Kyle Shanahan. Mike McDonald's had to stand up there at the lectern and talk about unsound technical work and fundamentals and gap accountability in the run game almost every single week. Now, this was a defense that was supposed to make that area one of its strong points.
Speaker 1: I look at their linebackers and it's a problem. They got cooked by Brian Davil. Brian Dabel came in and there and was like, Hey, you guys are on a short week. We've had a little extra time from Thursday night football, and he handed it to Mike McDonald. It kind of reminded me of the game to help get Mike McDonald this job. Mike McDonald versus the forty nine ers when it was Ravens forty nine Ers on Christmas Day.
Speaker 2: I can't forget it.
Speaker 1: Because I was here and that matchup is what partly got Mike McDonald this job. Can he be the Shanahan killer? Can he be the McVey killer? Like we'll see when he plays the Rams this year, But that to me is fascinating. He does not have the players at linebacker that he had when he was with Baltimore.
Speaker 2: No one really does.
Speaker 1: And or you know that the forty nine ers do, frankly with Fred Warner, and so he's having to adjust. And they were a big time problem in the running game and the passing game last week.
Speaker 4: The Seahawks rushing defense for the twenty twenty four season, they are allowing four point five yards per carry and five rushing touchdowns so far. And this is going to be a Kyle Shanahan forty nine Ers team. I don't think we'll have any problem bring down and running the ball.
Speaker 1: Mason's looks awesome. I mean he had that fumble last week, but yeah, he literally has more yards than any forty nine ers running back in history, and I remember.
Speaker 5: When that first game that he came in and I was doing the pregame show for it, we were like, Okay, well it's gonna be just another one.
Speaker 2: What should we pick it.
Speaker 1: I don't feel good about the Seahawks right now, but I will pick them because that's what I want to root for.
Speaker 2: Really.
Speaker 3: They have their throwback uniforms too, though, fun nine.
Speaker 2: Those just need to become their unifor I love them.
Speaker 4: I'm going to pick the forty nine ers because Rock Purty, I think overall is playing really well. I think that perhaps you can consider last week more of an outlier game from him than how he has showed up across the season, inclusive to not having a lot of his skill players around him. So I do want to pick the forty nine Ers in this game. It is interesting you're hearing some reports out of there of he's feeling weird, just a little bit off, lots of moving parts. No, no, the forty nine ers building as a whole things feeling a little weird, just generally off in terms of there's just been a lot of moving parts around that building so far, missing players, adding players back, you know, some long term injuries. But I do think that Rock Party is going to play better this week.
Speaker 3: I am God, this is such a toss up this game.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna go with the Niners right now, just because I'm not sure about the Seahawks injuries that they have Rik Woolen, U Chena Nuosu Byron Murphy. I mean, these are significant players that aren't playing right now, and I mean they didn't they put out the estimated practice report today and that would be a do not practice for them or didn't participate.
Speaker 3: So it's just that's going to be the determining factor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they got Nuosubak, who was supposed to be their best pass rusher for less than a full game, and he is now going to injured reserve with a thigh injury, which was a new injury that it's good that you point that out. Talineo Hufanga is reportedly going to miss about a month or so with a risk injury, although his replacements looked really good. I thought Malik Mustafa has made some plays for them, so that's been a nice fine. That was this week's TNF preview, presented by Prime Video. Be sure to watch the San Francisco forty nine Ers take on the Seattle Seahawks this Thursday on Prime Video.
Speaker 2: We do have some news.
Speaker 1: Surprisingly at the end of this show, Derek Carr is expected to miss multiple weeks with the oblique injury that he suffered against the Chiefs. The Saints have two games in the next nine days. One of them is against the Buccaneers, a big division game, and then the Sean Payton comes to New Orleans game, and they're not going to have Derek oh Car.
Speaker 3: That is a bummer.
Speaker 1: Really interested to see if they're going to start Jay Hayner or Spencer Rattley.
Speaker 4: Well, Mike Garafalo is saying that Spencer Rattler is a strong candidates and Derek Carr's absence and he site sources telling himself and Ian Rapaport that is awesome.
Speaker 2: That's good teamwork.
Speaker 1: Thank you Jordan for helping us out there, because I really loved what I saw out of Rattler in the preseason. He is not a normal fifth round pick. He is talented, he's fun, he is gonna he's gonna throw that ball around. I don't know how it's gonna go against the Bucks and Broncos. That is a tough assignment, but I think it'd be more interesting than Jake Hayner. And yeah, this Saints team, which we were so excited about after two weeks, is staring at two and five, and this is how you manage the season.
Speaker 2: You got to get one of those two games. You got to get the Sean Paton Bowl.
Speaker 1: How I'm looking forward to that TNF recap, also looking forward to this week's TNF recap.
Speaker 2: So it's that one.
Speaker 1: This game we just talked about that's gonna be covered by Patrick Claybon and Nick Shook. Everyone that's listening here, if you haven't been hearing me talk about heading to London, I ask for your understanding with a little disruption. I like that each week on this show, we've had a nice routine. M h, what a great crew. This is be your next Tuesday.
Speaker 4: I love Tuesday.
Speaker 3: Just so that's our text change, so the listener is aware.
Speaker 2: And yeah, that's the name of the text change.
Speaker 1: So we got we got the preview show normally with Patrick and Steve, we've got the recap show and it's the same every week, which I really like that regularly as a listener, I like that too. But this week's going to be a little bit different. I'm I'm heading to a plane right now, heading over.
Speaker 3: Yeah, lond waiting for him.
Speaker 1: Yes, your suitcase, that tnfreecap will be taking care of by my friends Nick and Patrick in the middle of the night. But before that happens, we're going to have a preview show going up a little bit earlier. And I mentioned that because I'm going to actually tape it at the Greenwood Sports Pub in London. And I don't know, I'm just like throwing.
Speaker 2: This out here. Should I just have people come by if you want to?
Speaker 3: Are you asking us?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I don't know.
Speaker 4: I'll be right there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if any listeners want to come by. Now, it's not going to be like a live show or anything, so maybe maybe show up like before and it'll just be a nice place to have a beer. And then after we're done we could have some we can have some you know, beers or some fishing.
Speaker 3: I had a meet up for at and when I went to London, so.
Speaker 1: That that is at the Greenwood Sports Pub. It's Thursday afternoon, so I know people are working. It's we're we're going to be taping and be there from about twelve to three or so. But we'll be wrapping up between two and three pm. But come along, you know, help out the Bears Sports Pub.
Speaker 2: Why not.
Speaker 1: I mean it's kind of wild that they have an official sports pub like it while they're over there, and so that would be fun and it'd be fun to meet some NFL Daily listeners. So that show's going to go up a little later in the feed than the previews show normally does, but it'll still be there pretty early on Thursday, and then yes Sunday, it's going to be a different crew for the recap show.
Speaker 2: I'm excited to get some voices. I really love.
Speaker 1: Ally Connelly is going to join me. Nat Kombs is going to be on the show. Phoebe Schechter, who I work with at Sky Sports, is going to be on the show. So it's going to be a lot of fun.
Speaker 4: I'll miss you, but I won't We'll see you next Tuesday, right, I know.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, like they said, like, hey, how do you want to do this trip?
Speaker 1: I said, well, we can do it, but only if it does not disrupt the Colleen and Jordan Shan interfere.
Speaker 4: This is such a pivot from his outbursts earlier. I know, What's what's coming down down the pike here.
Speaker 2: I need to get you in my favor before before it. You never know what could happen. I hope I make it back. All right, let's go.
Speaker 1: That was it for NFL Daily and yes, when it's time to head over to London, you know that football is back.
Speaker 2: See you on the other side. Have fun.