Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of It Trends with Controversy, a play on it it ends with Us, But we've already done it ends with Us as a trending title. But now we're not talking about it as with us. We're talking about the controversy, aren't we. I'm a very special guest co host.
Speaker 2: I am so excited. I have so many questions.
Speaker 3: I need to know what is going on with Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds.
Speaker 1: Oh so they're married. Yes, that is that what you mean?
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm done, see you all right?
Speaker 3: Good.
Speaker 1: So that's that they're married. They have four kids.
Speaker 2: Four kids.
Speaker 3: She had the fourth one in like January or February of last year, which plays into this controversy.
Speaker 1: Actually, uh oh, okay.
Speaker 3: So Blake Reynolds or Blake Lively Ryan Reynolds, they both have movies coming out or have come out.
Speaker 2: They had.
Speaker 3: Ryan Reynolds had Deadpool and Wolverine, which was very funny and I am going to see it again. And I did really think it was funny, and there was like people in theaters were laughing so hard.
Speaker 2: I missed some of the extra jokes.
Speaker 3: So I'm going to separate the art and the artist for the purpose of this controversy explanagh. So I think in like twenty nineteen, Jessin Baldani, who you may have seen in Jane the Virgin, and he also has like an anti toxic masculinity podcast with a large Instagram following, and he kind of promotes like men being vulnerable and.
Speaker 2: Gentle and stuff.
Speaker 3: He bought the rights to this Colleen Hoover book Colling Hoover is also a controversial figure in twenty nineteen, and then they adapted it and then he it was supposed to be like his kind of like not vehicle, but like his project, and then he brought Blake Lively in. But then people started noticing on the press tour he was kind of doing it a lot of it alone or like independently of the other castmates, like he was often featured alone. And then people noticed that like other castmates had like unfollowed him. And there was this interview with Jenny Slate where she was like, oh my god, like he was directing and acting in it at the same time, because Jenny Slay is also in the movie, and they were like, what do you think about that? Like isn't that wild that he was doing both? And then but they kind of meant for it as like what was it like to work with him? But the way she answered was, oh my god, yeah, like I've thought about doing two things at once, but i think I'm okay with one, Like she fully avoided what it was like to work with him, yes, And so people are like, this is weird. And then on the press tour, Blake Lively made this comment about the rooftop scene having been written by Ryan Reynolds, like he was fully invested in her work. And also they noticed that the press tour was kind of like her. It kind of became like a Deadpool and Wolverine press tour as well, like they kept referencing that or bringing that in. So they were doing like husband and wife press tour together. And so she said that he wrote this rooftop scene at this event, like she he wrote a full scene, and people were like, that's fucking weird, Like he's not in the.
Speaker 1: Movie, right, and so not in the movie. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So at the New York premiere, Blake told e that they help each other. We work together so much. The iconic rooftop scene, my husband actually wrote it. Nobody knows that he wrote it. He works on everything I do. I work on everything he does, so his wins, his celebrations are mine, and mine are his. He's all over this film. But then Christy Hall, who's a screenwriter for the movie, was like at the same event, was like, as she told Hollywood Reporter, as a writer, probably the most difficult scene for me to crack was the rooftop scene. I have to say Colleen wrote it perfectly. I wish I could have just lifted it from the pages and put it in the film, but it's a little too long for film languages. And then people came back to Christian was like, hey, like Ryan, what about what? Like? She made these comments about Ryan, and Christy went, I'm very proud of my work, and I do feel like the beats that needed to be honored in that scene are preserved and they're there. Again, Colleen did it best, did it first, and it's from her. I do think that scene is a really beautiful reflection of what she penned from the beginning, and that she wasn't aware of any input from Ryan. She was like, there are a couple little things that I thought had been improvised blah blah blah. When I saw the cut, I thought that was cute. That must have been acute improvising. So if I'm being told that Ryan wrote it, that's great, how wonderful. There are a few little flourishes, you know, And if Ryan it came from Ryan, that's wonderful. So it's kind of weird that Blake is like, my husband's in this. My husband did this. My husband, my husband, my husband. And another thing that Blake has been criticized for on this press tour is that I don't know, I feel like she has like a side business. I forget what it's for, something that she's kind of been like plugging it and her relationship with her husband. And then like the Deadpool Wolverine, instead of talking about domestic abuse and instead of having like a serious tone about what the film is about. Yes, Justin Baldani had like is like the villain in the film, like he's like it starts as this like romantic thing and then turns into abuse, which is.
Speaker 2: Often how these relationships start.
Speaker 3: And so Justin Baldni has been going around having the correct and appropriate tone being like less than what the movie is.
Speaker 2: It's it's why we made it.
Speaker 3: And I'm and if there is someone who is like her character, Blake Lively's character, who sees it and makes a different choice for herself, that's what this movie is about.
Speaker 2: And he does it in a really eloquent.
Speaker 3: Way, and you know, like and Blake's just been like haha, like kind of not exhibiting that she's suffered in any way at any point in her life, and so people are taking sides. People are confused. There was also like a TMZ article about how Blake Lively felt that the kissing scene lasted too long, and she's told multiple people there are a lot of reasons he made her uncomfortable. There was one scene where we had to yeah Baldannie where he had to like lift her up and he went to his and he has back problems, so he went to his onset trainer and asked how much she weighed and how he could train himself to protect from his back injury. And she felt self conscious about that because she just had a baby, and so she was like, is he fat shaming me? When really he's like, I have a medical issue, And so people are trying to like, yeah, I'm back shaming we're.
Speaker 2: Trying to take sides.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was doing it for himself, so people are trying to take sides.
Speaker 2: It's very weird.
Speaker 3: I think it's one of those things where Blake and Ryan's kind of Hollywood couple. Time is like in terms of like being in the limelight in a positive way.
Speaker 2: Time is up, like people.
Speaker 3: Are starting to find them now yeah, and disconnected and like.
Speaker 1: Yeah inside them since they had that plantation wedding.
Speaker 2: And they had a plantation wedding.
Speaker 3: People are also like all of them are Zionis, including Balgoni, so like what are we doing? They're like, why are you so invested in these celebrities and taking sides and stuff. I'm very interested to see what else comes out, especially like once the movie's like done and they're off the press tour. I want to see, like how if we get any more nuggets from like Jenny Slate you know.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, yeah. I feel like those stories come out in like the books that they write after their famous, you know, like when they're when they're aged. Yeah, all right, any any have you seen it ends with us?
Speaker 3: No? I'm not sure if I'm going to Okay, I don't know if I do. I don't know if it's like a movie that i'd see in theaters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Okay, well you did see the Superhero movie. So you are contributing to our descent into an ip fueled healthscape.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's pretty fun. It's a raucous ride into this hellscape.
Speaker 1: Hey, speaking of animal superpowers, right, Wolverine has got animal based superpowers. Horses are. They're not like that smart, but they're like smarter than we thought. They're like pretty pretty smart.
Speaker 2: They built the pyramids, built the pyramids.
Speaker 1: They're starting from a very like with a Larry, very low bar, but so based on their performance in a game where they were trying to earn treats by touching a card with their snout, horses just leaped up a couple levels in terms of our understanding of how smart horses are.
Speaker 3: I think it's pretty fucked up that we came up with money and then we're trying to force that on other animals. We're like, work for your treats. It's no longer a barter system or foraging. You have to earn this shit.
Speaker 1: And we can tell they're smart because they're responding to our money.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But yeah, so basically the added level of complexity. So the way it had been going before they touch card, they get treat, and then there was also a stop light that if it was on on they wouldn't get the treat, and they were trying to determine if the horses would notice that the stoplight was not getting them the treat, and the horses just kept hammering the card with their nose and they were like, well, these horses are fucking idiots. Move on to the next animal. But then somebody added a new step where you had to basically like do a time in the penalty box if you hit the card with your nose when the stoplight was on. So they added a penalty.
Speaker 3: Okay to the game I am dumber. I'm learning that I'm dumber than a horse.
Speaker 2: The other night I had.
Speaker 3: To play a Jeopardy themed show like on stage Oh, and the buzzer would punish you if you press the button before the host finished this question and pressed his button.
Speaker 2: And I just kept pressing the button.
Speaker 1: I'm too excited.
Speaker 3: I was like, I have the answer, and then I wouldn't get the answer because I got penalized by the buzzer system.
Speaker 1: It was like starting on Mario Race, where like you get panalyzed for touching it before it starts, you have to hit it, like right at the moment.
Speaker 2: I can't hold it back.
Speaker 3: At that show, someone told me after from the audience, so we're like, you really represented well for the ADHD community.
Speaker 2: And I was like, I haven't been diagnosed with.
Speaker 3: Adh Is this my diagnosed? Since?
Speaker 1: Were you like pressing the button really hard? Is that why you can see?
Speaker 3: But also I was being a comedian and yelling out silly things and stuff, but that was that's there, And like a lot of my friends interpretation of my personality, right, I refuse to be diagnosed with one more thing I'm holding.
Speaker 1: We've got plenty full boat diagnoses. It's so anyways, they instantly switched strategies in ways that indicate horses have a higher level of cognitive reasoning than previously thought possible. Suggests that rather than failing to grasp the tenets of the game, the horses had understood the rules the whole time, but Astuteley had not seen any need to pay more attention to the rules in the second stage until there was like penalties. So yeah, yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: They're like the smart kid that like coast through high school and only or like or doesn't care about the results in high school because they're too smart for the subject. And then once they get to college they're like, oh, I actually have to pay attention again, actually learning.
Speaker 1: Yeah so this Brian the editor points out that this is highly reminiscent of Clever Hands, which was a horse whose owner claimed they were able to perform arithmetic and after a formal investigation, do you know that story, Like they would like ask a horse how much like three plus two is, and then the horse would answer by like kicking it to like five times, and people were like, this is amazing. Horse is a fucking genius. But then they realized that the horse just had like the way that people say that like dogs have an incredible like innate knack for reading what we want from them, like they read human faces really well. They realized that, like the it could tell when its human owner wanted it to stop kicking basically, and like knew when it was like right answer time.
Speaker 3: This is like cop dogs like being told to freak out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah they're racist because the cop is not because the dog is racist. But anyways, I don't know, I find horses very kind of mysterious and magical, and so I'm glad to hear that there's a lot going on back there because like the way they described what the horses, what they thought horses were, They're like previously research had suggested that horses simply respect on to stimuli in the moment. They don't proactively look ahead, think ahead and plan their actions.
Speaker 3: They're just like that is such a like a human thing to think though, Like I swear with every every animal we as soon as we just like give it a benefit of the doubt and try to think outside of how we would think about like dominating and like because like they don't they don't know what like that they have to play a game, you know what I mean, they don't. This is like when they put the bear up against Kobyashi the hot dog eater, and they were like Kobyashi's winning, He's winning, and the bears like, I don't even know that I have to eat these hot dogs right now, Like maybe I don't fucking feel.
Speaker 2: Like it, you know, right, and then in one swoop he like beats them.
Speaker 3: But I always feel this way about animals, Like I watch I like am part of like a dog rescue, and I watch a lot of rescue videos of just other animals as well, and like, cows are fucking smart, pigs are really smart.
Speaker 2: Like all of these animals have.
Speaker 3: Their own motivation and their own intent and we don't like generally allow them to have that. We expect them to perform according to our standards, but they're all individuals, and so the more you pay attention, like like cows love playing, just like dogs love playing, you know, Like, yeah, I don't know, I'm always I'm always like yeah, that that fully makes sense for us.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the cows when they play with us can just destroy us and crush our skulls. So we're like, ah, let's just protect that they can't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I mean they're just Brian was saying that the horse is being gracious for letting us ride on their backs, and it's like literally, like animals are so sweet and so loving. I mean, obviously there's predators and everything like that, but like the amount of shit they let us get away with because we have negative intentions but they don't.
Speaker 1: It's crazy, like fucking wild that, like great white sharks have even been discovered to be like much nicer than anybody thought. Yeah, it's literally the guys who's like that. Yeah, I just have like generally good vibes and I like can swim with great white sharks and they don't heart me. Like we have to create movies where it's like, oh no, this bear is I mean, bears will eat your ass. But like you know, uh, I mean, especially right the joke we're going to the break on, We'll be right and we're back. Wow. Brian the Editor is revealing himself to be a real col lover. Cals love music. Some of the best YouTube content is cows just vibing to music.
Speaker 3: I definitely read that as best because he said Whitey and I definitely read that it's the best white content content.
Speaker 1: Yea of the best content that Whitey's are making is more cow bell. Hey, speaking of content Whitey's are making on YouTube, mister beasts, Uh.
Speaker 2: That was incredible. Give it up for that transition.
Speaker 1: Thank you. So he is doing a real world squid game. He saw a squid game and was like, damn, that is great content, just the game.
Speaker 2: Part missing the entire point of.
Speaker 1: Ignoring the dystopia moral detail that was the whole point. He's like, Wow, those rich guys had a great idea for content, so he brought one thousand contestants from ages eighty two down to gen Z to Las Vegas to fight for a five million dollar prize. Round one to the death.
Speaker 3: Actually yeah, it was to murder each other.
Speaker 1: So they all got there and he was like, psych, it's actually two thousand of you. So it's like I've changed your odds, like made them way worse right off the bat without telling you. Then the games began and it apparently had more in common with like firefest thing you might have inspect Two of the contestants who were on a team that got eliminated said that it was a challenge to get adequate sleep, food, water, and medication for dinner. Quote. I had gotten a hard boiled egg, two slices of cucumber, and basically one third of a stick of celery that was also cut in two thirds, two Carris diet and a quarter cup of plain oatmeal which sucks. Water was not readily available. They were giving cans of liquid death too. They're giving cans of liquid death to drink on camera though, because they were a sponsor, and of course feastables Mister Beast's snack brand to eat in front of the camera.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, mister beast is like what twenty four or something like that. Yes, he should not have two thousand children to take care of, like two thousand dependents in your home or wherever the squid game's warehouse is like, he should not be in charge. I know, Like it's insane. He's the head of like a big giant corporation. You're never going to guess that. You'd never guess that. It's a total disaster like that. There's all sorts of.
Speaker 1: Like harassment, and he was just like, oh, I guess I'm going to hire like a head of HR that's like the big multi million dollar company he had even at somebody.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of stuff coming out about him.
Speaker 3: There is a part of his con a contract that or part of like the the information that people read when they join the team, and one section said no doesn't always mean no, And it wasn't in reference to like the type of consent that you would expect, but it was in reference to like getting their YouTube content. Like if you go in and you ask to use a place or you ask somebody to do something, like they may say no right away. But keep trying to get them to participate in the YouTube content or something like that, Yeah, which is problematic in and of itself, but also the fact that this individual became such a megacorp type person, like that should be no, that phrase should be nowhere near any any orientation materials you have, Like that is insane.
Speaker 1: And then it's also like what drives the content, Like if you've watched his content, it is people doing terrifying things or just like grueling things for money.
Speaker 3: It's it's coercion, Like it's manipulation of manufactured consent in a way almost.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is why people like it so much. They're like, hey, yeah, this is like what my parents have to do every day.
Speaker 3: There's also another individual who was interviewed kind of like its own weird YouTube video where it was like edited in a weird way by the person interviewing. But there was a person, Jake something, who had done a lot of content with him like a few years ago, and then like asked for more money for his friend who's a father, and like they both got fired and they asked for more money, and he felt really guilty about that, but like he did he kept being desperate to be featured in the videos and he got finally he got his break, and they put him in solitary confinement, and it wasn't like full solitary confinement in that like they occasionally he would ask like there was like very limited interaction, but they kept the lights on, which fucked up his sleep because they wanted to get enough video. They did it for like thirty day. They were supposed to do it for like thirty days. He didn't last that long because he was becoming like mentally more and more unstable, which it is like Geneva conventions like warfare shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he does war crimes to you for money, like yeah, and you try and win money, and he.
Speaker 3: Was like asking for things they weren't giving him. He like didn't like like a lot of YouTube videos are faked, so it's like insane that they couldn't just like fake this one too, because that's all also come out that the Misterbeats videos are fake.
Speaker 2: But we all kind of knew that they.
Speaker 1: Were going to actually excerpt this for an advertisement for Mister Beasts, being like I can't believe they're not fake.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, like I accidentally signed something by joining us soon. But he like really basically like tortured the friend he was supposed to get, Like, however many hundreds of thousands of dollars he got less than that because he didn't last the whole time. He made him complete just like horrible challenges, Like one was him running a marathon in solitary confinement, and that I think was like his breaking point because he didn't have any training.
Speaker 2: He was in this fucking room, you know, and and.
Speaker 3: He did it because like he like he was out of he was mentally like broken down. And also all this money was dangled over him, like the longer he stayed, the more challenges he did, the more money he got.
Speaker 2: So it was just fucking insane. And then Brian is also bringing.
Speaker 3: Up there's a pedophile association with mister Beasts and his like group of friends and stuff.
Speaker 2: I don't know, yeah, yeah, don't.
Speaker 1: Left the company. That's like the big thing that they're you know, in crisis mode on. They have like an external law firm that is like looking into it. But the person who is this, you know, the source of the the person who's alleged to have committed the acts, is like one of the main people on camera and like a big person at the company, h Ava Chris Tyson. So that's yeah, it just seems like there's a lot of.
Speaker 3: It seems like there needs to be like a proper yeah, like hr proper legal, proper whatever.
Speaker 1: But yeah, the proper like unionized shoots. Like that's the other thing is that he goes out of his way to like have non unionized shoots, and like the shit is, like people are getting hurt on the in these challenges, Like according to The New York Times, more than a dozen people were injured while filming filming the first portion of the Beast Games in Las Vegas that we were talking about, where they were fed like carrot sticks. One contestant told the Times that she left bruised and bleeding, and the consolation prize was like they each were given one thousand dollars, but they were only giving it on camera and then asked to give give it back like off camera, and they were like, you'll get your money later. We so sorry, We just like don't have the money on us right now.
Speaker 3: The main ethos of the show has nothing to do with helping people. Like when I didn't know anything about mister Bass, when I saw that he was giving like a thousand people there or one hundred people their vision back whatever it was, yeah, for cataracts, And I was like, that's fucking great. Like I don't care about charity in public as long as those people consent and as long as like good things come from it. But it's very obvious that, especially from this conversation with that Jake person, that like mister Beasts would come in and say like what he thought like a human should say in order to get the like to feel like he's on like he's not going to get in trouble or be like on the right side of things or not have people say he didn't say or do certain things, you know, But it seems like the main thing is to like get his content. He's been making YouTube videos of him like like doing shit to himself and his friends since he was a child. Like this is not a normal avenue or like a normal motivation for a career to like fuck people over on camera essentially, So like he's like the amount of empathy he has, I'm very unsure of.
Speaker 1: He's the most famous person with like kids who are like ten to fifteen, Like they're just like my nephews are obsessed with really like he's yeah, yeah, he's like the biggest stuff in the world. That is so and I feel like, yeah, the on one hand, yes, it's cool too that he is like helping certain people if he is, you know. On the other hand, I also feel like it said not that. Yeah, it's and it makes it like who needs taxes when you have Mister Beest. You know, He's just it's like the lottery, you know, just people being like, well, I'm just gonna like win a Mister Beasts challenge and then we'll be good and.
Speaker 3: Like what's promised isn't given and like yeah, it's just so yeah.
Speaker 1: A thousand dollars like that really seems to undercut the whole thing. Is like he's giving people money on camera and then asking them to give it back off cameras. Pretty wild. So if that's true, I think that was in time. Time Magazine has been on the Mister Beast beat, So we'll be keeping an eye on this corner of the internet. Paulave, what a pleasure having you as always? Where can people find you? Follow you all that good stuff?
Speaker 3: I'm at Paula Viganal and p A L l A v I g U n A L a n I am everywhere. I am online too much now since I am currently unemployed, and I also am gonna have shows at the comedy Store. I have a monthly show, Cultation Recognition Comedy Show's August twentieth at eight pm in the belly Room. No, maybe not at eight pm, I don't know. It's in the belly room. And then we also have one in September. I'm also going to be going to Arizona for the Big Pine Comedy Festival at the end of September, so I will be there all right around Keektai or whatever.
Speaker 1: We are back tomorrow with a whole last episode of the show. Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourself, get the vaccine, get your flu shots, don't do nothing about white supremacy, and we will talk to y'all tomorrow. Bye bye,