Speaker 1: Earners.
Speaker 2: What's up.
Speaker 3: You ever walk into a small business and everything just works like The checkout is fast, the receipts are digital, tipping is a breeze, and you're out the door before the line even builds. Odds are they're using Square. We love supporting businesses that run on Square because it just feels seamless. Whether it's a local coffee shop, a vendor at a pop up market, or even one of our merch partners, Square makes it easy for them to take payments, manage inventory, and run their business with confidence, all from one simple system. If you're a business owner or even just thinking about launching something soon, Square is hands down one of the best tools out there to help you start, run, and grow. It's not just about payments, it's about giving you time back so you can focus on what matters most Ready. To see how Square can transform your business, visit Square dot com backslash go backslash eyl to learn more that Square dot com backslash, go backslash eyl. Don't wait, don't hesitate. Let's Square handle the back end so you can keep pushing your vision forward. This episode is brought to you by P and C Bank, a lot of people think podcasts about work are boring, and sure they definitely can be, But understanding of professionals routine shows us how they achieve their success little by little, day after day. It's like banking with P and C Bank. It might seem boring to save, plan and make calculated decisions with your bank, but keeping your money boring is what helps you live or more happily fulfilled life. P and C Bank Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five. Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five is a service mark of the PNC Financial Service Group, Inc. P and C Bank National Association Member FDIC.
Speaker 4: So you talked about Kanye and he became a billionaire because of easy licensing deal with Adidas one hundred percent of yeasy, but it was distributed through Adidas, and when Adidas dropped him, he lost four billion dollars in his net worth? Right? So was what does that speak to as far as on the licensing side, did he have a bad licensing deal.
Speaker 2: One thousand percent?
Speaker 4: Explain?
Speaker 2: So, if I remember correctly, in his contract he gave up creative control and which means in his contract he also didn't have the language stated that anything that was developed by the licensee was owned by the licensere. So when I go to the table with my licensees and like we're looking at here, caare like bowls and stuff, right, and they'll develop a different like look of the unicorn, maybe a different polls or a different pattern or something, I still own it. So when they made any variation of his product, they immediately grabbed ownership. I'm dealing with a situation right now with the company, not on the consumer product side, but it's on a different side on the production side. And I saw how in the beginning they were trying to change the look of the unicorn and trying to change a lot of things about the unicorn because they wanted to own as much of the property as they possibly could. So they probably tried to pull that on him, and I believe he said something like he don't read contracts.
Speaker 1: So have there ever been any issues in terms of trademarking, Like when I mean we come from an everwhere it was like it was my little pony right like that that was and then it was I guess my daughter kind of fell into this like rainbow dash and all those things, and so have you come into contact with people trying to make a similar product or similar trademark, And how's that process been I did.
Speaker 2: It's hurtful for one, like I take this personal because what I we didn't talk about how I started the whole why Nipsey and Tupacer up here, like how my marathon continues. How I have this adgas no breaks mentality that I launched this brand. My son was in the hospital for twenty days. When he got out, my favorite uncle died a massive heart attack. Seventeen hours later, my uncle died. Six months later, my grandmother died, and then we were in a global pandemic. I have a lot of heart and soul into this brand. So when someone tries to come out with their version of Afro Unicorn, it's a serious problem. And so yeah, I had to first I tried to ignore it. My thing was, I'm just gonna work harder, like I'm just gonna outwork them. I'm gonna outwork them. But it starts to become confusion in the marketplace. And so the trademark attorney was, like, April have confusion in the marketplace because people were purchasing this other brand believing that they were buying Afro Unicorn, so then we had to take it to we had to sue. Yeah, we had took.
Speaker 1: A year because it is a domestic trademark or is it international as well?
Speaker 2: Only some countries. You know, you have to trademarket in every single country you go to. Right now, we're only in the US and Canada, so we have to strategically get to the other countries and we're working towards it. But it's it definitely is a process. But this particular company, it took us a year to get to to get to a positive resolution that I'm still not really that much happy with. But I'm back to my thing. I'm just gonna outwork them, So.
Speaker 4: So don't worry about the how. Yes, what does that mean?
Speaker 2: I didn't know how I was going to be on this interview with y'all. I knew it was going to happen because I saw it. So you have to as an entrepreneur, well entrepreneurs, that's what we're speaking to, you have to see the end goal what it is. I knew African Cronin is gonna be a household name in a worldwide brand, point blank period. You couldn't tell me that it wasn't I didn't know how it was going to get there. It's getting there through through licensing. Right, I'm just a real manifestor. I truly believe that whatever I see already exist in the future. Because you cannot see anything. You can't like, you can't tell your right foot to go like you got it. In order to walk, your brain gotta tell your right foot to take the step right. So I truly believe that before anything can happen, because it already exists. And I'll prove it to you. I know there's so many people out there that have seen ideas that're like, dang, I had that idea because the moment you thought about it, it already exists. The problem is are you going to be there to see it through? So I don't worry about the how. Once I see it, and everybody knows this around me, they know if April. If April says it's gonna happen, all money.
Speaker 4: In, all money in, that's a fact, no money out, sore. Are you using different companies for the like the licensing or is it the same company?
Speaker 2: I have over forty five different licensees. Licensing is by category, So there's a company that does underwear Handcraft. There's a company that does apparel, Mad Engine. There every single category. When you start going into stores, start flipping over those packages.
Speaker 4: So how'd you find these companies?
Speaker 2: Flip over the packages? And I literally was in the stores.
Speaker 4: I was.
Speaker 2: I would shoot pictures to a ski and be like, this is who I'm gonna get on LinkedIn. I'm gonna find this company and we're gonna find who handles licensing.
Speaker 4: And then you reach out to them, yep, directly, and then you so you negotiate with being that they didn't reach out to you, you reached out to them. They have more leverage in this situation, right.
Speaker 2: Sometimes, But once you have Walmart, So my spade was Walmart, Like that was my ace. I have Walmart, And once you know you have the attention of Walmart, their antennas are up, okay because everyone wants to get in Walmart. And people I know look at Walmart like it's Walmart because we don't really shop at Walmart. I know, it's not a big thing here in New York. But for retail, they are the god. Walmart is the god of retail. And if you can't get yoke like everyone it used to be is different now, but they're like in order for a property to be successful, it has to.
Speaker 5: Be in walmart An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from El Salvador accused of murdering a Texas man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J. Trump's leader. I'm Christy Noman, the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens have been arrested. If you are here illegally, your next you will be fine nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned and deported, you will never return. But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally. Do what's right, leave now. Under President Trump, America's laws, border and families will be protected. Sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security,