Speaker 1: Calzon Media.
Speaker 2: Hey everybody, Robert Evans here and I wanted to let you know this is a compilation episode. So every episode of the week that just happened is here in one convenient and with somewhat less ads package for you to listen to in a long stretch if you want. If you've been listening to the episodes every day this week, there's going to be nothing new here for you, but you can make your own decisions.
Speaker 3: Welcome, Dick, It happen. Hear a podcast about things falling apart and them continuing to fall apart. I'm your host, Na Wong with me as James Stout.
Speaker 4: Hi.
Speaker 5: Miya glad to hear about what I was going to shit today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so before we start talking about imperialism, we're starting everything episode with this. Until you people stop, until you stop doing this. It is the year two thousand and twenty five. We are a quarter of a century into this millennium and people are still getting kettled by cops on bridges. I did this occupy in twenty eleven. They did it in twenty eighteen during the Occupy Ice protest. The people did it in twenty twenty, people did it last year. During the dream of the power signing cam lets. People are doing it again this year. Simply do not lead a march onto a bridge, yep.
Speaker 6: Or a tunnel to AI reasons, we would also include a tunnel.
Speaker 3: Yes, don't do the tunnel either.
Speaker 5: Yeah. If there's no side exits, just don't.
Speaker 3: Yes, here's the thing. The moment you walk onto a bridge, all the cops have to do is take both exits and everyone on the bridge gets arrested. You can simply not do this. If you must do it, you need to like make one thousand percent sure you can hold both sides of the bridge. Yeah, both of them. You need to all both of them. Yeah, and almost certainly you can't. So only you, only you, dear listener, can prevent four thousand more people from getting kettled on fucking bridges. And I'm going to keep starting episodes hockeyboll get it, don't get kettled up bridges until this stop. All right, this is what this has been me as public service announcement of a bridge kettling. Let's get into the nature of imperialism and why Trump's is different. So we've been covering a lot of Trump's sort of I don't know the trade wars, his call for the US to seize the Gozel strip, a whole bunch of stories about the way that Trump is using the power of the American state to do imperialism. And I think it's worth actually taking a second to unpack this because things are probably going to get worse. There is a non zero chance that we effectively start a war with Mexico in the next few months.
Speaker 5: It's great, it's spanging. Everything's going so well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But I want to start with talking about the way that Trump has been using tariffs as as a sort of political weapon and not as an economic tool, but varies very specifically as a political weapon, and how this differs from the previous economic regime, because I think there's been a lot of you know, as the terroriff's the threat of the tariffs go up, in the markets sort of tank in fear of them. There's been a lot of sort of defense of like free trade in ways where I don't think people actually understand what's happening. And to understand how what Trump is doing is different from the stuff that's come before, we need to actually understand what trade is now. When an economist talks about trade. They go, oh, yeah, obviously, trade is when two countries exchange a thing, right, yep, But that's not actually what most of the stuff on earth that is labeled as global trade, that's not what it is, right, Look at like US Mexico trade. We're going to go a bit more into detail about what that stuff is. But do you know what most not most, but you know what a huge portion of US Mexico trade is. It is the same company, the same company moving an auto part from one side of the border to the other, back and forth across the body.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I suppos got to say.
Speaker 3: Yes, back and forth. Right, So it's a lot of different people being paid different wages can make the same thing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, or if someone paid lower wages can make it. Yeah, someone paid more con Q see it and then they can send.
Speaker 3: It back yep.
Speaker 5: Yeah, very very common.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And this is actually a real substantive problem with the way that I think everyone thinks about trade, because what is happening here, and this is an argument that the anti globalization movement used to make. You know, David Graeber like makes this argument a lot, and they're right, which is that most things that we think of as quote unquote global trade are just a single corporation moving a resource around the world so that they can produce something.
Speaker 6: Yea and exploit labor at some impossible exploitation rate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know. And this means that using nation states as a way to understand trade is an absolutely terrible way to think about global economy. Right there, there are some things we're thinking about specifically nation state trade, Like trade is important because you know, even even the same corporation moving goods around, right, that does contribute to how much foreign currency a country, right right, And so okay, there's things like balance of payments where if you run out of it, if you're a country and you run out of American dollars, suddenly you can't employ like fuel anymore in your country, like explodes, And that's a very common way that like this happens in Trilanck, for example, pretty recently. This is a way for your economy to blow up. But that's kind of an edge case in terms of how global trade actually operates. But the problem is that it is to the advantage of the ruling class for you and everyone else to think about trade as something that's like a war between you and the country next to you instead of a corporation. Like fucking over everyone involved in this entire thing. Now, there's a pretty interesting book that I read recently called Border Economies Cities Bridging the US Mexico Divide by James Greber Gerber Nicks Gerber, Okay, And one of the things he points out is that the two largest trade relations between any country, any two countries on Earth are the US in Mexico and the US in Canada. And those are the countries with the highest tariffs that trumbles attempting to apply. Yeah, and it's worth actually understanding what this does by looking at what actually is traded between, for example, the US and Mexico. And the place I want to start is that one of the largest kinds of goods is moved from from Mexico to the US is computer equipment. And nobody fucking talks about this ever, No one, like zero fucking people talk about this. I am convinced this is because of racism. But Mexico is a huge sort of like assembly place for a whole bunch of things like monitor screens, like computer equipment in general, and a lot of that stuff comes into the US. And there's also you know, the thing, the thing that we started this episode on. That's I think the thing I gets talked about the most now is transportation equipment, right, And this is a combination of consumer vehicles and also like heavy duty cargo trucks, which are unbelievably important for the maintenance of the American economy, right of the entire global economies. Like having these trucks is a sort of vital infrastructure thing for the United States. You can move stuff around a lot of that cost in Mexico. And then also like a lot of it is like whole cars that are like like finished assembly like in Mexico, and they get shipp across the border and there's a lot of things there. And these are also like all the same international companies that work in the US. So it's like Toyotas like Konda.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean these are your American trucks often, right, or like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, four does this too? Yeah, what's GM now Stalores.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, like Chevy GM like these as well as like Toyota.
Speaker 5: Toyota I think has a big planet.
Speaker 6: I forget exactly where, but along the board is somewhere if I recall correctly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, this is extremely common Yeah. And what this is, right, like, this is multinational capitalist companies who are moving their products across the border. Yeah, and this gets counted as Mexico doing trade. You know. One of the things in one of the questions in this book is about why Mexico's economy never had the kind of economic bump that China did from the amount of industrial production if you look at like the East Asian tigers, right right, And I think part of that is actually something that is not mentioned in the book, which is if if you look at the East Asian economies that that develop their economies that you're talking like your South Korea's, et cetera, cedule like a lot of those countries, like Japan, there was a lot of US military investment there in a way that's just not true of Mexico. Like Mexico is not like a place where you offshore you're supplying your supplies to because you need to move stuff to you know, fight the war in Vietnam. But you know, one of the other reasons is that, Yeah, Okay, so like where is all the profit from the international trade going. It's like, well, it's going to a bunch of American and Japanese car companies. Yeah, because it's it's those those multinationals are the people who actually reap all of the benefits.
Speaker 6: Yeah, to a degree, like post NAFTA, right, post ninety four, it has created a class of people in Mexico who have benefited from it, but it has it has not lifted up like like the average income. Right, It's created a greater disparity of income than at any point.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, previous to that.
Speaker 6: And you'll hear people I was talking to us Ran about this yesterday in Tijuana, like how like what NAFTA did, Like now, if you look at nineteen ninety four, I think it's a really good example of what you're talking about of Like, yeah, we opened up that border to international companies to do tariff free back and forth, right, but we didn't open it up to people.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: At the same time, we had Operation Gatekeeper, right like enforced much harsher border enforcement. And the two things in parallel really kind of indicate, yeah, what the free trade is going for.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And you know, and this is another old anti globalization thing like we ever talks about. This is like yeah, free like free trade is about the free movement of capital and the unfree movement of people, right, Yeah, so it's about locking people down in place so you can like you can you can dictate wages to them, and then moving capital around the world to avoid them exactly.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we're gonna get into this more in a second, but I want to talk about some you know, some of the other things that are that are exported from Mexico fruits, vegetables, alcohol, or like huge exports.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then also and this is something that I don't think is people don't understand what's happening very well. Is there's a lot of oil from Mexico that's shipped to the US. But the thing that's happening there, and this is the thing that's very weird about the oil industry, is that the refinery facilities are not in the same country as the extraction facilities a lot of the time. So this oil is getting shipped around because they don't have the refinery facilities to like refine the specific kind of like crude oil or whatever that they're extracting. So like, yeah, it's again one of these situations where it's not really like Mexico is sending its oil to the US. It's like I mean kind of right, that's like one of the more direct issh ones, But largely what's happening is that like again like it's an oil company moving stuff to you know, moving stuff around to do refinement of it so they can sell it. Now There's there's been some other stuff happening with Mexico that's a kind of reaction to Trump's previous thing. And I think the extent of this has been overblown to some extent, but a lot of very low end manufacturing stuff has been leaving China for a long time. This is one of my media things on the show, is that this has been happening for a while because labor price has been rising in China and one of the places that these things went to is Mexico. So there's been a lot of like direct investment from trying to et cetera, et cetera, and all of these things. You know, like these these these kind of movements. I'm talking about them because these kind of like seismic global economic shifts right of the kind that we're going to be see are driven by a lot of things, you know, I mean this stuff like currency valuations, like local tax laws, like state corporate planning policies like demands or just blah blah blah blah blah. But one of the single most important things is the state of class struggle in a country and what effect that has on wages or like, you know, like straight up uprisings.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: The geographer David Harvey, he gets credit for popularizing the term the spatial fix, though other people were already using it, and I don't like his work much, but he did. He is the guy who gets credited with this. He describes, you know, the sort of free trade regime that that persisted roughly through like now. I mean it was it was taking shape in sort of the eighties, like the eighties through like roughly now, as the spatial fix for declining profitability. Right, you know what else has declining profitability? Well?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 6: The worst things get the more people are listen to our podcast, and you can say that.
Speaker 3: We are back. Okay, So let's talk about this, this sort of declining profitability and the fix that capitalism sort of finds fit this, right. You know, through the seventies there's this sort of spiraling unemployment and inflation and the economy is sort of going to shit. And it's happening everywhere because they're sort of like structural overcapacity and manufacturing. And the solution to this is a spatial fix, right, which is destroying some manufacturing capacity and just moving it to other places. Yeah, and you know, and this is this is sort of what James was talking about earlier, right. The goal is to sort of weaken the power of the working class by locking people down into their countries and then moving capital to poorer countries, the weaker labor protections and also a weaker level of sort of like workers organization, right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and then it leaves like the previously well organized workers. Like if you look at the industries and the places where my grandparents come from, the dog workers and minors, right, those are not really jobs that are employing large numbers of people in the UK anymore. And like as a result, those working class towns are just destitute, you know. So that previously thriving a well organized working class that we had northern England, it's left kind of like it has to relocate or reorganize, right, and it destroys those like nexuses of working class power that existed in Britain up until the eighties.
Speaker 5: With a minus strike, right, Yeah, and.
Speaker 3: This was this was done deliberately, yah, right. I mean there there's always a debate in the literature about to what extent, like neoliberalism was like planned, or to what extent it was you know, a sort of reaction to a bunch of crazies. But specifically this kind of like offshoring and the container ships have been part of this, but like this specific kind of thing, and even the transition cold oil was like was a very deliberate thing done by like done by sort of American and British politicians in order to sort of break the power like miners unions. And you know, one of the major places that this went obviously like a lot of these things go to Mexico. The sort of first round of these go to like the original like Asian tiger economies I was talking about, Well, I mean places like it, like Indonesia too, with a lot of those economies sort of like Thailand, those commies kind of blew up in the nineties. Yeah, but you know, one of the largest, most important ones was China. And you know it's important to sort of remember I've talked about this on the show before. A lot of this is also the product of Tianoman Square, because the thing that's important to remember about Tianneman is that contra both sort of liberal histories of Tiannemen and also the sort of CCP line. Most of the people who died at Tannama were workers, right, Most people who were executed after Wridge were workers. They were like students died, but it was mostly workers who were killed. And a lot of what happened there was that, you know, Tanneman was like the last time that China's like trade union federation, which is like now such a joke that it's like it's genuinely a subject of academic debate and discussion as to whether you can even literally consider it a trade union. Like that's that's how fuck it is. And the last time that Chinese trade unions took a political stand was in favor of the Tianeman protests. And then the army shows up and just like like slaughters their base. Yeah, And what this does is it breaks the old Chinese working class, right, It breaks the alliance with the students that they'd had that was you know, and that was a durable political force dating back to like the nineteen twenties, right, And it breaks this extremely militant, well organized Chinese urban working class and replaces them with a more exploitable and less organized like migrant working class yea. And that is the class that like to this day right now is like the engine of global capital or like those like three hundred million migrant workers yep.
Speaker 5: And they can be in different parts of the world, right like the other way.
Speaker 3: The three hundred million number, that's just the microtworkers in China, Jesus. To be clear, there are a lot more internationally. Yeah, but yeah, China's miketworking population is like almost the size of the US. It's like the fourth largest country in the world just by like itself.
Speaker 5: It's yeah, that's mad.
Speaker 6: I was just thinking of today, like the scam compounds which exists on the border between me and Mah and Thailand, like they actually Thailand.
Speaker 5: Just cut power off to them today.
Speaker 6: I mean, I can see that the strategy there, but it's just going to end up hurting the people who are in those compounds more of course it is. Yeah, of course, those people who are in those compounds used to be able to escape and go to places where they could like get back to their lives, right, like be re taken care of, and of course that's well funded by USA, so they don't exist as of this week, which is pretty brutal. But like, yeah, these people, right, these these migrant workers who come from all over the world hoping for a chance that the things that capitalism have promised them are the people who have to be exploited so that people in wealthy countries can.
Speaker 5: Have their treats.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and those workers are the basis of monoglobal capitalism, right, Like you know, like those Chinese workers for example, like it it is illegal for them to form an independent union. If you try to form an independent union, you will go to prison so fast that like though we dust clouds like.
Speaker 5: Hey and like Wiley Coyote will take you to prison.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like even trying to get your union to like do something like trying to have your own independent people elected to your to that union, like canon will get you arrested and like and even like short, Chinese labor oppression like is pretty intense. But it's like you know that we're also talking about countries like Columbia. It's like, well, yeah, okay, so what happens to union organizers in Columbia's like they get being shopped by paramilitaries with machine guns. Right, And that's that's that's what the sort of spatial fix was, right, was moving jobs to places where the ruling classes sort of control was more firm and their ability to use violence was higher. Yeah, And so this is what the American imperial system sort of had been, right. It's based on American capital flowing around the world. And this is also like international capital too, right, Like we've literally been talking about like Japanese corporations right doing like the same shit, right, But you know, it's like international capital flowing around the world, extracting resources and labor from other countries and accumulating it in American corporations like that. That's what free trade is.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And it's also you know, secondarily, right, it is a debt system. It's based on forcing countries to like pay back loans that were taken out by dictators. Gogurid de Draber's debt last five thousand years, it's very good. But yeah, it's based on like turning entire countries into just debt servicing engines, where like all of the wealth that is produced by entire nation is just going to like pay debts to bank of America. Yeah, And you know, the thing about this is that this is actually a very very efficient model of empire. It's one of the most sophisticated imperial systems that the world has ever seen.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 3: It works extremely well and makes the US an unbelievable amount of money. It protects global capitalism, and the people currently running it don't want it to work like that. Now do you know who else? It doesn't want the current system to work like it does because they can make more money.
Speaker 5: I can guess it's.
Speaker 3: The products and services for this point, excited to hit which one we get?
Speaker 6: You know, it could be it could be anything. I really at this point, who knows?
Speaker 3: We are back, So we've entered I guess what you could call the phase of mask off imperialism. US imperialism usually at least sort of like war human face. And and it did it for good reason, right you know, Ronald Reagan did not give a single ship about democracy and human rights, right like like you know, and this is this has been true in the US for like ages and ages and ages, right you know that, like they prop up right wing military dirtatorship constantly. But the thing is, democracy and human rights are things that like people like and so you know, it was it's it's a weapon that he and and his sort of brand of conservatives, like anti communist conservatives like wielded it again communism, and it was a very very powerful ideological weapon because if if if your choice ceases to be between like communism and capitalism, and your choice is now between like do you want to live in a dictatorship, but do you want to live in a democracy? Like that's a very different question, and it's it's a very very important question for sort of how how the Cold War was won and how international power is wielded, right, because there's there's always been an illusion that there's an international community in that countries are like working together and and this is this is a very very powerful ideological thing, you know, I mean, and this is something like you live through this, like God, it probably listen to you didn't leave to this now, dear God. But like like the Iraq War, right, the US didn't unilaterally invader Rock now I was called the quote unquote Coalition of the Wilding and included like like they dragged Australia in the war by threatening to like destroy their like milk shipping contracts with the Iraqi government, Like, so you.
Speaker 6: Know, yeah, you had all kinds of people running around in a rock for a while then, I guess, yeah, obviously the United Kingdom played a big role in it, like an outside troll, given being a relatively small country.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know, and this, this, this is the way that you do. You know, even just overtly straight up imperialist stuff like it, like invading a rock, right, was still done under the auspices of like multinational like coalitions.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 3: And the thing about different about Trump is Trump doesn't give a fuck about any of that, right, absolutely not. He has turned on Rob Ford, a man who is like boldly answers the question what if Trump smoke crack like that is Rob Ford, Like he's he's turning on his allies, like people people like right wingers who should be his allies in Canada, right, who are exactly the kind of people who you would expect to do sort of like right wing multilateral interventions in countries, right. Yeah, and you know he is caused with with his like threat to put tariffs on like, he's caused these people to become anti American. And this is the same thing with Mexico. Right, even the sort of like the nominally center left governments in Mexico like have cooperated with American imperism. But Trump doesn't want to fucking do that anymore. He wants to run everything just very purely and very openly as as an American empire.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Like America's always bullied Mexican. Right when we talk about the deployment of troops to the border. Biden absolutely bullied Amlo into into bringing those troops to the border because they came before Donald Trump even came into office. But now Donald Trump's just doing it on true social yeah, like it's it's it's kind of different. Or Panama fuck, Like, you know, I was in Panama September of twenty four and I went to the Canal Museum, and Panama like is very proud of its history of independence.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 6: It's relatively short, yeah, and hard earned and paid for in blood. But like, yeah, I traveled. I'm a US City cinema traveling you. No one gave me any shit.
Speaker 5: It was fine.
Speaker 6: Everyone's very nice to me. Now the burning American flags in Panama City, like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, because Croup is trying to take the Panama canal back and before we get into like you know, I mean, I guess we can get into hear some of the stuff that he's doing. Right, he's pulled out of the International Criminal Court and it's putting sanctions on it. He has been trying to use the sanctions that he's been threatened to apply to Canada. Who get Canada to join the US? Like he is trying to conquer Canada, Right, Yeah, he's he's been trying to He's been trying to force the government of Denmark to buy Greenland.
Speaker 6: Sell Greenland, right, Like he wants to purchase greenland from there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he wants to buy Greenland. Yeah, there was. There was the whole sort of showdown with Columbia over Columbia's like being pissed off about the treatment of deportees to Columbia, and he used sanctions. There there is again him saying the US is going to take over Gaza. And this is a very, very substantively different thing than than the kind of American empire that we've had before.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the last time the US tried to take Canada was eighteen twelve. Right, it's been like two hot hundred years. This is how Britain returns to the world stage, right, And the thing is, last time, the last time the US tried to take Canada, they burned the capitol down, so like you know, yeah, but like like this is something that even even under like people like Bush, right, who is like a Bush is like a very very avert American imperialist, right, yeah, Bush would ever try to invade Canada. Like yeah, yeah, that's that's completely unhinged, right, And this is this, this is just a very very different kind of imperialism than than what existed before. And I wanted to go into I think why this is the case? Yeah, and I think the reason why this is the case. Okay, So the reason that there's been such a defensive free trade is like people being like, oh my god, if he puts teriffs in place, it'll raise prices, and like, yeah, that's true, right, it'll crash the global economy because the global economy has been turned into a very very efficient engine of extracting profit from countries and putting them in the hands of corporations. Right. It's it's working exactly how Trump wants it to work. Now, if the US wants to rebuild a manufacturing economy, that is technically possible, right, Reagan was able to do this. But what Reagan did instead of doing tariffs is that well, I mean kind of you but like the main thing that he did was this thing called the Plaza Accords. And the Plaza Accords was this this thing in the eighties where he forced Japan. Japan was the important moment, like Japan, West Germany. I think there are a couple other countries like he forced them to increase the value of their currency relative to the dollar, because like, you know, so if you have a currency and it's worth a bunch of like another person's currency, so like you know, you have like the dollar and it's worth like a million, like yen or whatever the fuck, right, the currency that's worthless has a more competitive manufacturing economy. And Reagan was able to like restart the American like manufacturing economy for a while by doing this. But the problem is that it blew up the entire world economy. And so to save the world economy, Clinton rolled back the accords and it, you know, and that was the thing that actually finally sort of like a viscerated American manufacturing and the exchange here was you know, and all of the stuff that I've been I've been talking about for the last few minutes. So there's a very very good essay written right after two thousand and eight called What's good for Goldman Sachs is good for America by the economist Robert Brenner. And what the strategy became, and this is a strategy that was originally pioneered by Japan that we took was instead of having like a manufacturing economy, like actually a production based economy, you have an economy based on the value of assets.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: So assets are things that you own, right, this is the stocks, bonds, like real estate, which is important for our purposes. And the goal is to make the value of those things go up.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: And so what you do is you speculate on you you take out loans, You speculate on the prices of stocks going up, the prices of houses going up right, and you know, you make it very easy to borrow money. Now, obviously this produced a series of like staggering economic collapses, including like the dot com collapse two thousand and eight with you.
Speaker 5: Know remember that one.
Speaker 3: But the thing is in the way of the financial collapse. The US mostly figured out how to sort of stabilize the system. But the thing is, you know, they were sort of able to stabilize the system economically, right. What they couldn't stabilize was the political sector, where if you look at the two people who are currently running the United States, it is Elon Musk, who is the human personification of the stock price goes up bubble economy, right, and the other one is Donald Trump, who is the human manifestation of the real estate class, right, whose wealth like belie enormously. And the thing is right, but because Elon Musk is like a tech bubble go up guy, right, those people don't think like the people who built like American financial capitalists, right, just like the people who designed the tratism, they don't think the same way Trump does. Trump is a fucking real estate guy, right, And this is how he sees the world. Right. He thinks in terms of land and borders and territorial control. And he thinks in terms of like what physical thing can I steal from someone in order to make money? Right, and that you know, this is why you're trying to steal the Panama Canal. And and he thinks this way instead of like things that are more abstract like debt servicing and like, you know, the sort of lines of power in the coalition building.
Speaker 10: Right.
Speaker 3: He looks at a map of Greenland and goes, this looks really big. I want it and so and now he's going to try to use the American empire to just seize this.
Speaker 5: Yeah. He sees things in terms of like raw power.
Speaker 6: It's a very uh undeveloped notion of like power, right, Like yeah, yeah, I was thinking the other day, like, whoever is in the same room as Joseph I must be having a fucking field day right now at the guy who he was there? He wrote books about soft power, right, the idea of the US power to persuade rather than power to kind of whether there rather than like hard power, which comes in tanks or tariffs.
Speaker 5: I guess, Joseph and I is no longer relevant. I get that.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, no, we're we're back. We're back in pure hardpower. And something I think is renal very alarming that I want to close on is the extent to which, like the US media is just sort of just once do you propaganda for it? Yeah, I'm gonna I'm going to read a quote from a CNN arc again this is CNN. Quote. The subject heading is the US has been expanding for its entire history. This is an article, oh, the title of which is Trump is Trump wants to redraw the map of the Western hemisphere for fun's.
Speaker 6: Sake, like twenty twenty five Monroe doctrine posting on CNN literal.
Speaker 3: Literally literally, Okay, okay, you are so far ahead of this thing, because the next I'm going to read the one I was going to read.
Speaker 6: First, Uplift civilizing cris you and I what's an next paragrad.
Speaker 3: The next section heading is and I quote what is Trump's doctrine and explains the Monroe doctor for.
Speaker 6: Fox sake, this is I cannot explain how like I have taught this as a thing in history classes for more than a decade from the perspective of like that was fucked up and shameful, and even the conservative students like, yeah, hard agree, look at these racists as fuck cartoons about Filipino people that were used in here to justify this, and now we are back like it is, and like, yeah, CNN is just out there like fucking cranking the manufacturing consent.
Speaker 3: That's not even the worst part about it, Like I want to read the session. So one of the other section headings is the US has been expanding for its entire history sick quote expansion. Expansion is built into the American DNA's has retired Ambassador Gordon Gray, now a professor of practice at George Washington University and former Foreign Service career officer.
Speaker 6: Okay, yeah, like an angel sweeping across the planes, fucking manifest destinies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's we're you know, and this is this is this coming all sort of coming into like the way that Trump thinks about which Trump thinks about the US, like like an eighteenth century land empire, Yeah right, Yeah, eighteenth century land empires, you know, got money by conquering people and like extracting tribute from them directly. And then also you know they were mercancilest empires, right, so they they got they got a bunch of their money. And this is the thing that Trump explicitly talks about. It is like he wants he thinks he can raise revenue from like terrosts, which like, no, he can't, but like what he can do is use the threat of tariffs to like force countries to do whatever the fuck he wants and this is the kind of imperialism that we're in now. It is a definite, substantive break from what we've seen in the US for a century, more than a century. Yeah, and I think I think it's important for people to understand exactly how this functions. Yeah, and yeah, it's sick.
Speaker 5: We're going into the new opium wars. It's going to be so fun. Yeah, it's great.
Speaker 3: Well, this is this spiniacul happened here. Do not get kettles on bridges, go out into the worlds and make trouble.
Speaker 6: And people want to read more about the early like globalizing that the previous year of neoliberal globalization, Like Naomi Klein has some good stuff, and I think Joe Stiglitz does as well.
Speaker 3: We can Yeah, yeah, I also recommend David Graber's direct action in Ethnography, which is him writing about the original like anti like ult globalization protests and his like time in them. So you know, if you need direct action ideas, they did some fun stuff. Yeah, dressing guys up like marshmallows and police batons would bounce off the great.
Speaker 5: Yeah, bring back clown block. That'll get us through it.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 7: The government of two Weeks ago no longer exists. We are now in a fundamentally different country. Under the authority President Trump. Elon Musk is leading a de facto cyber coup of the United States using the intentionally vague and unaccountable department of a government efficiency, Musk is seizing control of the United States critical digital infrastructure, literally rewriting the code that runs our country and culling the federal workforce. Using the justification of removing government bureaucracy, Musk and the Trump administration have installed their own batch of bureaucratic tech oligarchs, made up of former Tesla and SpaceX interns and engineers, teal fellowship researchers, pallenteer employees, eugenics enthusiasts, and literal nick fuentes, pilled gropers. Career employees have been locked out of their respective agencies, both digitally and physically, as the DOGE team ransacks various departments and accesses wide swaths of sensitive government data. Agency officials who have tried to resist Musk's seizure of classified materials have been fired, and more federal employees have been put on leave, including the entirety of USAID. This effectively amounts to Musk abolishing the whole department, all without congressional authorization or oversight, not even in executive order from Trump that extends presidential authority on a whim. The unelected Elon Musk decided to carry out the closure of an entire government agency, and he is far from finished. Doge has hijacked the Treasury to withhold authorized payments to multiple agencies, resulting in an ongoing battle of lawsuits and court orders. This is it could happen here. I'm Garrison Davis, and this episode is an audio companion to an article I published on the shatter Zone substack linked below. In the description. You can follow along online at Shatterzone dots substack dot com and click the hyperlinks for more information and sources. Elon Musk has personally directed the General Services Administration to terminate leases on quote unquote mostly empty federal buildings. The GSA, essentially the landlord of the federal government, was one of the first agencies to receive Musks quote unquote fork in the road deferred resignation letter offering to buy out the entire workforce. The legality of the letter is still uncertain, as it promises to pay out currently unappropriated funds. IRS workers who accepted the resignation offer have already been asked to return to work until May. The newly appointed GSA Commissioner, Michael Peters, a private equity executive that specializes in downsizing corporate real estate, has decided that quote non DoD federal building space should be reduced fifty percent quote, According to a GSA employee who requested to remain anonymous, on top of planning to cut the entire federal portfolio by half, DOGE is seeking to cut GSA's own budget by as much as fifty percent, with talk of consolidating GSA offices into a few major cities using a quote unquote hub model. Wired reports that DOGE staff may be trying to use White House IT credentials to access GSA computers remotely. An anonymous GSA employee claims that few people at the agency have elected to take up the voluntary paid resignation offer, with those who have mostly being of retirement age. High leveled Trump appointees used quote unquote scare tactics in agency emails pressuring career employees to accept the deferred resignation offer, warning that cost cutting measures will eventually lead to a further reduction in force. Employees are concerned that a reduced federal workforce would result in federal buildings losing their operations and maintenance contracts, with disastrous consequences for the functionality of government buildings. Quote the brain drain is going to cripple our ability to maintain the buildings even more than it already was. We aren't overstaffed unquote for a GSA employee, they continued, quote, I think this process is already too far along to stop. I'm hoping we just need to get to the mid terms unquote. What is happening across the federal government right now is unprecedented. But this is not Germany in the nineteen thirties. It's not the fall of the Soviet Union. We grasp at analogies to help contextualize current events that escape understanding. There are similarities, but what's happening is new, very American, very twenty first century. Think of the growth of the Internet, social media tech startups in fifty years. What's happening right now could be talked about in the vein of what happened to the United States in the mid twenty twenties. Now, rhetoric of cutting red tape and breaking federal bureaucracy has been common political clap trap for decades, and previous efforts have been largely all bark and no bite. But now there's been a huge chomp. So why now? What happened? Trump has blamed entrenched federal bureaucracy or the quote unquote deep state, for preventing him from enacting sweeping change during his first term. The obstacles Trump encountered didn't just come from Congress and the courts, but rank and file government workers who run day to day operations. Last month, the far right America First Policy Institute published a report titled Tales from the Swamp, How federal bureaucrats resisted President Trump. The author, James Shrek, a former Heritage fellow, credits quote unquote hostile career employees for quote unquote refusing to implement policies. Shrek says, quote many employees refused or defied directives withheld information, slow walked projects that they opposed, performed unacceptably, and used strategic leaking to undermine the president's agenda unquote. Trump himself realized this late into his first term and sought to remedy the situation by revoking civil protections for tens of thousands of federal career employees, reclassifying them as atwill employees under an executive order called Schedule F. This allowed Trump to treat large swaths of government employees as political appointments. In his article for the America First Policy Institute, Shrek refers to career removal protections as a quote modern invention that protects entrenched bureaucracy unquote. Though Biden repealed Schedule F, Trump effectively reinstated the order on the first day of his second term. Trump promised to restore his authority to quote remove rogue bureaucrats back in early twenty twenty three under his Agenda forty seven plan, vowing to quote wield that power very aggressively unquote. When Trump first ran on Drain the Swamp in twenty fifteen, he was referring to corporate lobbyists special interests in Washington corruption, but now the term is used to deride the so called administrative state, federal agencies, regulatory boards, and bureaucratic career employees that maintain the basic functionality of our government. Both Schedule F and Doge are part of a too pronged assault on the administrative state, all in service of consolidating than amplifying executive power. Trump has fully embraced the unitary executive theory proposed by the likes of Russell Vaught, Project twenty twenty five co author and the newly confirmed director of the White House Office of Management and Budget. Although it's understood that Congress has quote unquote power of the purse, under unitary executive theory, Trump now believes that funding appropriated by Congress does not need to be spent. Rather, the executive branch controls the flow of federal spending and Congress merely sets a ceiling on spending that the executive must not exceed. Under this interpretation of the Constitution, the president has sole and complete control of the executive Branch, including all of its agencies and departments. But people in Trump's circle like JD. Vance and Elon Musk could be pushing Trump to go even further to where the president considers both the judicial and legislative branches as purely ceremonial and advisory. In the words of New Right philosopher Curtis Jarvin, and arguably we are already well on our way to that point. This centralized executive power allows the executive branch to achieve goals I would have previously considered to be quite lofty. And I'll outlined two of those examples, pulling from the aspirations of the modern conservative movement. After this ad break, welcome back to it could happen here, and get ready to say bye bye to the FBI. Though the right has typically been thought to be firmly in the back of the blue camp, this isn't always the case, especially on the more extreme end. The far right militia movement has long clashed with federal law enforcement agencies like the FBI and ATF. In the aftermath of January sixth, many Mega supporters found themselves at odds with the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Republican politicians began to feed into right wing uproar surrounding the FBI, as Trump himself became a target for investigations after the mar Lago raid. In August of twenty twenty two, Marjorie Taylor Green tweeted defund the FBI. Arizona Representative Paul Gosar joined in attacks on the bureau, hosting weight to destroy the FBI, we must save America. That same month, right wing columnist and podcaster Liz Wheeler published in op ed titled Abolish the FBI, which called to quote farm out the vital functions of the FBI and raise the rest unquote. The new right publication Compact Magazine featured a slightly better written article by the same title, Abolish the FBI at CPAC. In March of twenty twenty three, Matt Gates, noted pedophile advocated to get rid of the FBI among other federal agencies.
Speaker 2: Either get this government back on our side, or we defund and get rid of Abolish the FBI.
Speaker 3: CDC, atf DJ, every last one of them if they do not come to heal.
Speaker 7: In April of twenty twenty three, Trump joined in in calls to defund the FBI after being charged with thirty four felon accounts of falsepying business records. Next month, to former FBI employees testified in a congressional hearing accusing the Bureau of weaponization against conservatives in regards to the January sixth investigations. The same two former FBI employees who had their security clearance revoked after espousing j six conspiracy theories. Later called to quote abolish the FBI at a Heritage Foundation symposium on the quote weaponization of the US government in April of twenty twenty four.
Speaker 8: You're given that magic wand that ability to be Jim Jordan, what.
Speaker 1: Would you do?
Speaker 5: I think you have to abolish the FBI. That's where I'm at at this point.
Speaker 8: What now, some people are going to say, Okay, yeah, we're gonna have to do you just abolish a What would to you?
Speaker 3: Is there a replacement? I mean, you can't just not have federal law enforcement, right.
Speaker 5: I think in large part, you could just not have federal lawforce.
Speaker 7: During a live episode of Donald Trump Junior's podcast on July eight eight, twenty twenty four, he called to abolish several federal agencies, starting with the FBI as well as the CIA and the IRS.
Speaker 4: Abolished the DEA. You know, I imagine of all the places to abolish, and I don't know if that's the best one. I'd start with the FBI, I'd start with the CIA, I'd start with the IRS. There's a lot of you know, the DA. Now maybe I know agent level guys. So if they're going after narcos and stuff like that. Perhaps a little bit more forgiving. They don't seem to be setting up or in trapping people like the FBI.
Speaker 7: The Trump administration has already begun the process to dismantle large swaths of the FBI before cash Battel has even been confirmed by the Senate. Eight top FBI officials have been fired or forced resign by order of Acting Deputy Attorney General Emil Bove, despite resistance from Acting FBI Director Brian Driscoll. A questionnaire was distributed to FBI supervisors requesting agents provide information to their own involvement in the January sixth investigations. This was believed to be used for the targeted removal of agency personnel. Last week, the FBI handed over a list containing the information of five thousand employees and agents who worked on the January sixth investigations. FBI leadership initially chose to withhold employee names. In response, Bove accused the FBI leadership of insubordination. This was ultimately a fruitless effort, as data seized by Elon Musk's DOGE team could easily match employee IDs to names. Trump has since agreed to not publicly release the names of agents until at least late March as lawsuits continue, and is required to give two days notice if the administration chooses to publicly disclosed names. But individual agents are still worried. An anonymous letter from an FBI agent to Warren's quote. Currently, there is an effort to cull a significant number of career special agents from the Federal Bureau of Investigation unquote. Around one third of FBI agents were told they would be placed on leave. According to a government source who spoke on the condition of anonymity, FBI employees have lost access to systems, only to later regain access, while others were told to wait to find out about their employee status. Agents are now trying to negotiate back into their jobs, with sources saying FBI employees may be able to stay on if they can prove their loyalty to Trump and disown the January sixth prosecutions. I write all of this not in defense of the FBI, but to demonstrate how far Trump is willing to go to expand his executive power and transfer law enforcement duties to agencies seen as more loyal to the president. Though I doubt the FBI will be completely abolished in the next few years. The agency could become unrecognizable, a shell of its former self, with hardline Trump loyalists replacing the existing and already largely conservative workforce. Alternative agencies perceived as being more loyal to Trump, like Homeland security investigations, could start picking up the FBI slack. According to a senior government source, on day two of Trump's second term, HSI was instructed to reopen investigations into the twenty twenty George Floyd protests to quote identify protesters BLM rioters likely did to us after January sixth, unquote. For another once considered far fetched goal of the conservative movement that now seems oddly within grasp, let's talk about the Department of Education. Conservatives have advocated for dismantling the Department of Education ever since Jimmy Carter signed its modern incarnation into law in nineteen seventy nine. Most notably, Ronald Reagan tried and failed to abolish the department in nineteen eighty one, but Reagan's Commission ironically strengthened support for the department. Once Reagan ran into roadblocks, he instead sought to limit the Department's power end influence. Since then, calls to abolish the Department of Education have been a recurring Republican talking point among certain think tanks and politicians, but they have struggled to land sizeable blows against the department. Trump previously fiddled around with merging the Departments of Education and Labor during his first term, but that plan went nowhere. In Trump's own Agenda forty seven plan, released in twenty twenty three, he expressed his goal of quote closing up the Department of Education in Washington, d c. Later, at the National Religious Broadcasters twenty twenty four Christian Media Convention in February of twenty twenty four, Donald Trump repeated this promise, quote, I will close the Federal Department of Education, and we will move everything back to the states where it belongs, where they can individualize education unquote. Project twenty twenty five outlined how to achieve the effective dismantling of the department by transferring funding and duties to other departments such as Health and Human Services and the DOJ. Opposition to the Department of Education was a frequent topic at the twenty twenty four Republican National Convention in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Robert Sophie and I attended multiple panels and events taking aim at the department, hosted by groups like Moms for Liberty and the Heritage Foundation. On the first day of the convention, the party ratified their official twenty twenty four RNC platform, which called to quote close the Department of Education in Washington, d C. And send it back to the States where it belongs, and let the states run our educational system as it should be run unquote. And now the Department seems to be next on the Trump doge chopping block. The administration is drafting a sweeping executive order. While Trump says he wants his education nominee Linda McMahon to quote unquote put herself out of a job. The planned executive order would not just direct the Secretary of Education to begin dismantling the department, but also ask Congress for assistance in formally abolishing the agency. It's unlikely that Trump would get the sixty Senate votes needed to pass the quote unquote necessary legislation, but even if they can't manage to technically abolish the department, he could still try to rip it, scuts out, slash spending and forcibly resign or fire employees, basically make the department simply non functioning, much like what Doge did to USAID. Upwards of sixteen DOGE staffers are currently listed in the Education Department Directory. Federal education employees have already received the Fork in the Road resignation buyout offer, while others have been fired for alleged links to DEI. Without someone like Elon Musk and Trump's administration, there was no clear path towards implementing some of the more lofty plans proposed by conservative thought leaders, whether they be Trump's own Agenda forty seven, the Heritage Foundation's Project twenty twenty five, or Curtis Jarvin's dream of a national CEO king. Only Elon Musk could do this. You need someone with his influence, connections, money, experience, and knowledge of fringe neo reactionary Silicon Valley political theory to propose and carry out something like Doge. So how did Musk get here? Though it's common knowledge that Musk has drifted pretty severely right word the past five years leading into the twenty twenty four presidential campaign, he was not an out and proud Trump supporter as recently as twenty twenty two, Musk deemed Trump too old to serve as president, again, tweeting that it was time for Trump to quote hang up his hat and sail into the sunset unquote. Initially, Musk threw his support behind the doomed presidential bid of Florida Governor Ron DeSantis, but as it became clear Trump would be the Republican nominee, Musk fell in behind his new party line, but his implicit support of Trump was kept on the down low. The two met in Florida in March of twenty twenty four among other wealthy Republican donors, as Trump was lobbying for campaign funding. The New York Times reported that Musk did not want to publicly endorse Trump as of early twenty twenty four, telling friends the most he would do was an anti Biden endorsement. Instead of public support, Musk would create his own super pac to secretly help get Trump elected, timing payments so his fiscal backing of Trump's campaign could only go public after the election. But all that changed on July thirteenth, after Trump's brush with death in Butler, Pennsylvania, Musk seemingly took Trump's call of fight Fight, Fight to heart, tweeting less than an hour later, quote I fully endorse President Trump and hope for his rapid recovery unquote. This opened more frequent communication between Musk and Trump. Later that weekend, both Musk and Peter Teel called Trump to recommend J. D. Vance as vice president. Next week was the Republican National Convention, during which Elon Musk was frequently name dropped, both by official speakers and regular attendees, talked about as almost some kind of mythic right wing superhero. On the final day of the convention, rumors circulated that Musk himself would make a surprise appearance on stage, Though said rumors did not come to fruition. Musk's specter haunted the entirety of the RNC. Come August, Musk just finished overhauling leadership at his America Super Pack and was rigorously pushing pro Trump messaging on X the Everything app. On August twelfth, Musk hosted Trump in a two hour live streamed phone call dubbed in x Space. This conversation marked the first time Trump casually spoke at length about the assassination attempt. The pair also discussed quote unquote migrant crime and the need to eliminate federal bureaucracy. Trump gave a rare compliment to Musk, calling him the greatest cutter, followed up by saying, quote, I need an Elon Musk. I need someone that has a lot of strength and courage and smarts. I want to close up the Department of Education, move education back to the States unquote. News outlets were more interested in reporting on the stream's technical glitches rather than Musk's idea for a government efficiency commission, to which Trump responded very positively. Next month, on September fourth, Trump announced that, at the suggestion of Elon Musk, if elected, he would quote create a government Efficiency Commission tasked with conducting a complete financial and performance audit of the entire federal government and making recommendations for drastic reforms unquote. Musk himself agreed to be appointed head of the commission, aiming to cut trillions of dollars. This announcement was not taken very seriously. The New York Times called commissions such as this quote a favorite Washington solution for delaying dealing with hard problems unquote, and The Times later reported that the commission quote can issue recommendations around federal five funding and regulations, but will be powerless to enact them without executive actions by mister Trump or funding approval by Congress, even though I can admit that both myself and some of my coworkers underestimated Doge's ability to physically carry out Musk's suggestions with no Congressional oversight or authority. As the election ramped up, musk super Pac mobilized thousands of canvassers across key swing states and collected data to target both enthusiastic and unlikely voters. Throughout twenty twenty four, Musk spent over two hundred and ninety million dollars in contributions in support of the Mega campaign, mostly via his own super pack. On October fifth, Musk made his first appearance at an official campaign event, joining Trump for his return to Butler, Pennsylvania. Musk continued to appear at Trump rallies in the month leading up to the election. By election day, Musk was firmly in Trump's inner circle, spending Election night and most of the next week with President Elect Trump atmar A Lago. After this adbreak, we will return to discuss how Elon Musk is now trying to become the CEO of the United States of America. Okay, we are back, and now a few months after the election, Elon Musk is doing to the United States exactly what he did to Twitter. By the end, it still might technically function on some level, just worse in every way, prone to glitches, and full of Nazis. The previous version was already bad and harmful, but the new one somehow sucks even more and no longer has the aspects that made it semi worthwhile. The Fork in the Road deferred resignation letters sent to government employees used the exact same title as a similar email sent to Twitter employees after Musk bought the com company. The Doge team has installed sofa beds on the fifth floor of the headquarters of the Office of Personnel Management to enable working around the clock, mirroring Musk's previous actions. During his takeover of Twitter, Musk has brought on some of the same exact people who helped him take over Twitter, all of whom are now special government employees with odd job titles but immense power. It was reported and Wired that a Musk stooge told General Services Administration workers that the agency will now pursue quote an AI first strategy unquote, and that the GSA should operate like a quote unquote startup software company. Musk has ordered the General Services Administration to terminate leases for all roughly seven thousand and five hundred federal offices, amidst a national call to return to in person work. This again is a classic Musk move, taken from his takeover of Twitter, in which to cut costs, he refused to pay rent for Twitter offices in London, New York City, and San Francisco while the buildings were still in use. A current GSA employee was quoted and wired as saying, quote, they are acting like this is a takeover of a tech company unquote. Musk's own personal success hasn't been from his skill as an inventor or a software engineer. What he's proficient at is taking over corporations and molding them in his image. This is what happened to Tesla, SpaceX and Twitter in twenty twenty. Musk called the federal government quote the ultimate corporation unquote, and now he seeks to become CEO. In doing this, Musk is following the tech industry motto of move fast and break things. So far all his actions bypass Congress. The slow controller of stable government, having everything be done via executive order and doge helps to speed run a full reboot of the administrative state. The motto of the old government may as well have been move slow and build things. Progress is slow, but detonation is fast. The breakage of government isn't a mere side effect or a bug of this expediated form of rule. It's a feature to reshape the government into their ideal technocracy. First, breaking things is a requirement. They might not get away with all of it, and they don't need to. They're doing so much so fast, knowing that they will only get away with some of it. But with new Supreme Court approved presidential immunity and unlimited pardon power, they can try as much as they want with zero consequence. These are not the moves you would make if you wanted a stable government. It's the moves you would make as a new tech company, which is why Musk's operation is masked with the Silicon Valley language of efficiency. The inefficiencies of government are part of the point. That's what creates stability, makes the country a trusted ally, and gives the dollar value.
Speaker 3: Quote.
Speaker 7: Regulations can be bothersome sometimes and downright problematic, but that's kind of the point. They act as a control on imprecise and rushed decision making. If the cost of doing business is slowing down the process, that's the cost that has to be made, to quote a government employee who spoke on the condition of anonymity. But those inefficiencies and pesky regulations really irritate the Silicon Valley tech bros who think they are the smartest people on the planet. It's their view that since they're so smart, shouldn't they run the country. Musk has a personal interest in slashing the regulatory state, as it interferes with his own businesses and dreams of space colonization. Last year, Musk claimed that Doge quote was the only path to extending life beyond Earth unquote. The White House Press Secretary has said that Musk himself will determine when there is a conflict of interest involving his businesses and Doge. SpaceX alone has received fifteen point four billion dollars in government contracts, according to The New York Times. The large reduction in the federal workforce through the combined efforts of doge and schedule F. There is an irrefutable similarity to a plan outlined by New Right blogger Curtis Jarvin, Peter Thiel's favorite philosopher. Last year, Robert Evans did a behind the Bastards on Curtis Yarvin, and you should absolutely check that out for more information. In twenty twenty two, Jarvin outlined how a second Trump term could quote unquote reboot the United States government. This plan amounts to a corporate takeover of government, which subsequently reshapes the structure of government, akin to a corporation. Though in Yarvin's mind, it is not President Trump who assumes the role of CEO. Instead, the President acts as chairman of the board, and before inauguration should select a CEO who is an experienced executive. This appointed CEO could then quote run the executive branch without any interference from Congress or the courts, to quote Jarvin. While President Trump reviews the CEO's performance in the background, Jarvin writes, quote most existing important institutions, public and private will be shut down and replaced with new and efficient systems. Trump will be monitoring this CEO's performance on TV and can fire him if need be unquote. Musk may believe that he has successfully maneuvered Trump into appointing him CEO, but Trump could be well aware of Musk's ambitions, but is keeping him around as an emergency patsy, ready to fire when needed. The Trump admin is currently testing the limits of presidential authority, and once those limits get surpassed by the standards of Senate Republicans, Musk is the easiest guy to blame and push out of the administration's inner circle. The first step in Yarvin's plan has the Trump campaign running on centralizing executive power to eliminate government inefficiency. This was both in line with Project twenty twenty five and Musk's suggestion of an efficiency commission once Trump gets into office. The plan is as follows, purge bureaucracy what Jarvin calls rage retire all government employees. This is essentially being carried out by doge schedule lef and by just pressuring career employees to accept deferred resignation offers. By threatening future mass layoffs, senior level officials have been replaced by a batch of loyal tech oligarchs with links to Musk and Peter Teel. The stupidity of Doge was almost a secret weapon. The cryptocurrency meanness made everyone in respectable society not take the idea seriously. What's the worst an advisory commission could do with no power to enforce its suggestions.
Speaker 9: Oops.
Speaker 7: Another step in Yarvin's plan is to nullify elite institutions of power like the media and academia. Musk's takeover of Twitter has gone a long way in altering the country's information ecosystem. The Trump admen seems to be utilizing Steve Bannon's flood the Zone strategy to distract and exhaust the media, as well as more directed attacks. On January thirty, first, the Department of Defense kicked out NBC News, The New York Times, NPR, and Politico from their in house press offices and replace them with One American News, The New York Post, Breitbart, and huff Post. Under direction from Doge, the White House has ordered government agencies to cancel subscriptions to policy news services from multiple news outlets. A White House advisor told Axios, quote, the eye of Sauron is on more than just Politico, It's all the media unquote. In terms of attacks on academia, the federal grant freeze has had devastating effects on university research. Another step in Yarvin's plan is to co opt Congress and ignore the courts. This is where we are at right now. The goal is to reduce both the judicial and legislative branches to being purely ceremonial and advisory, as advocated by Yarvin. So far, the Trump administration has effectively sidestepped the legislative bodies via Elon Musk and Doge. It's highly unlikely Trump would ever be impeached or removed by this Congress. Furthermore, this Congress seems to have willfully given up on their power over the federal budget. To quote a senior government official quote, the real challenge is that Congress is on board for now in losing their own budgetary authority. So far, a loan security guard standing outside you, sayed and the Department of Education has been enough to deter resistance from the Democratic Party. Last week, I interviewed to Derek Black, a constitutional law professor at the University of South Carolina. The full interview will air tomorrow, but here's his short take on the current situation.
Speaker 1: When Congress is willing to hand the keys over to the president. Then we really no longer really have a democracy, or at least the constitutional democracy that was created, you know, a couple centuries ago. So the bigger danger, I think is that through law itself, Congress sedes more and more power to the president with a new legislation. So if Congress were to pass new legislation giving the president more centralized power, well that would be a concerning thing to me.
Speaker 11: Right now.
Speaker 3: The real roadblock is the courts.
Speaker 7: The Trump administration has already displayed a willingness to ignore the courts based on the continued halting of federal spending and grants order from a US district judge. The Justice Department has argued that the order to resume funding quote contains several ambiguous terms and provisions that could be read to constitute significant intrusions on the executive branch's lawful authorities and the separation of powers unquote. This past weekend, Musk raged against a federal judge who ordered to temporarily restrict doja's access to Treasury Department data. Both Musk and the White House have labeled a judge an activist, with White House spokesperson Harrison Fields calling the order quote absurd and judicial overreach unquote. On x the Everything app, Musk boosted claims calling this a judicial coup and shared an announcement from California Representative darryl Isa to introduce legislation to quote unquote stop these rogue judges. But even without added legislation, Musk and the Trump administration are gearing up to directly defy judicial authority. On Saturday, Musk shared a tweet reading, I don't like the president it sets when you defy a judicial ruling, But I'm just wondering what other options are these judges leaving us if they're going to blatantly disregard the Constitution for their own partisan political goals quote. And On Sunday, Vice President j. D Vance posted a statement undermining judicial power.
Speaker 11: Quote.
Speaker 7: If a judge tried to tell a general how to conduct a military operation, that would be illegal. If a judge tried to command the attorney general in how to use her discretion as a prosecutor, that's also illegal. Judges aren't allowed to control executive's legitimate power unquote. So now it all comes down to force. If the executive branch not just ignores judicial authority, but blatantly defies it. Who would be left to enforce the power of the court. That leads us to another step in Yarvin's plan, centralize the police, nationalize local law enforcement to place them under federal control. Trump has flirted with his tactic in the past, when he deputized Washington police as US marshals to kill Michael Rhinol. In twenty twenty, Doge staff threatened to call us marshals when you say to security officials who have since been fired, denied them access to classified systems. Jorvin believes this step is paramount.
Speaker 11: Quote.
Speaker 7: Support of the democratic public is a cipher. I think that actually all you need is command of the police unquote, if you have all of the guys with guns who can physically stop you. Support from the public doesn't hurt, though, and if things get tricky, Trump could employ the next step in Yarvin's plan. Mobilize populist support, but crucially, don't wait until you're at your weakest at the end of your term after losing an election under popular mandate, deploy your empowered supporters at the height of your powers to oppose any obstruction from government agencies or the cour sort. Trump may weaponize a Supreme Court ordained presidential immunity and his unrestricted pardon power to make any willing actor carry out his bidding with zero risk of legal consequence. Now, even if Trump himself isn't aware of Jarvin's plan, his vice president certainly is. On a far right podcast in twenty twenty one, JD. Vance laid out a very similar vision for a second Trump term, using what the Peter Teel protege described as a dewocification program to purge bureaucracy.
Speaker 8: I think Trump is going to run again in twenty twenty four. I think he'll probably win again in twenty twenty four. I think that what Trump should do, like if I was giving him one piece of advice, fire every single mid level bureaucrat, every civil sermon in the administrative state. Replace them with our people. And when the courts, because you will get taken to court. And then when the courts stop, you stand before the country like Andrew Jackson did, and say the Chief Justice has made his ruling, now let him enforce It.
Speaker 7: Writes that the initial goal of this new administration should not be simply to govern, but to quote figure out what the Trump administration can actually do when it assumes the full constitutional power is given to the chief executive of the executive branch unquote. What the administration can do once they fully seize this power is so incredibly vast. Without checks and balances, all those crazy things Trump tried to do during his first term would be a lot easier to enact, let alone, whatever Musk and the tech oligarchs want out of the United States incorporated. But that's a whole separate topic. The current fight determines the degree to which this power is seized, and Jarvin notes the importance of going all the way.
Speaker 3: Quote.
Speaker 7: When Trump in twenty seventeen took office, he took about zero point zero one percent of power. If Trump in twenty twenty one wants to have more than zero point zero zero one percent of power, the only way he can do it is to take one hundred percent, take it all at once, completely legally.
Speaker 3: The real Donald J.
Speaker 7: Trump would never have the guts to even think of doing this, and he's just too old unquote. Funny pessimism from Jarvin. There, all of this doesn't even need to benefit average Trump supporters, because Trump's main campaign promise wasn't mass deportations, fixing the economy, or abolishing the Department of Education. It was retribution as extremism. Analyst Jared Holt notes, quote the right got its base so hooked on the idea of revenge. He doesn't even need to pretend that any of this benefits their base in any tangible way. They just have to say it hurts the wrong people, and that satisfies them.
Speaker 5: Unquote.
Speaker 7: If Trump and Musk continue to get their way, it could take years to fix. But the past ten years have shown us you can't really return to normal. There probably is no going back. The options are to hunker down and play it slow and try to survive whatever happens in the next two to four years while offering passive resistance, or we accelerate to whatever comes next, put cards on the table, trigger a kinetic confrontation, and fully manifest the results of this constitutional crisis. We are dealing with managing crumbles versus a full system's collapse. Sad face emoji this is it could happen here. I'm Garrison Day. Last week I was working on an essay about how the Trump administration is trying to shut down the Department of Education. Now very quickly that project expanded to being about how Elon Musk is actually trying to internally coop the federal government and become the CEO of the United States. That article is now published on Shatterzone dot substack dot com, and it's also.
Speaker 11: The previous episode of this podcast.
Speaker 7: But during my research, I talked with law professor Derek Black about the Department of Education, the state of disunion in the country, and if we still have a democracy already. Some of the things we talked about have begun to happen, like Republicans introducing legislation to expanding executive power, while Trump and Musk flirt with denying the authority of the courts. But I decided to publish the full interview because I believe his perspective is still helpful and the conversational format alters the way we process information compared to me just reading a kind of depressing essay for forty minutes. So, without further ado, here is the interviewing.
Speaker 5: I'm Derek Black.
Speaker 1: I'm a professor of law at the University of South Carolina. My area focuses on education, law and policy and really sort of how that relates to democracy. But I teach constitutional law and courses like that, author of a couple of books schoolhouse burning, public education, and the assault on American democracy, and then more recently dangerous learning the South long war on Black literacy.
Speaker 7: Let's start by discussing what's going on at the Department of Education right now, and maybe let's actually start a little bit further back. Attacks on the Department of Education like are not new. Reagan famously kind of pioneered the rights focus on this, but it's been something they've struggled to deal sizable blows against, especially in terms of wanting to abolish the organization. Could you talk about like the history of conservative attacks against the department?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean there's always been this states rights issue that's been with America since its founding. Obviously was a big part of the Civil War, big part of the Civil rights movement, you know, a big part of the Affordable Healthcare Act debate. So you always have this stage rights argument going on, and at least amongst the folks that are worried about that, public education comes up as being a target because there's this argument always that well, education is not in the federal constitution, so what business does the federal government have to be involved, and so it's really more of a talking point as opposed to any particular substantive reason why they want to get rid of it. But that's really where it's come from. But you know, it's often been not that serious of a critique, but obviously it's gotten very serious here in the last couple of weeks.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's the general overall feeling I'm having is that there's a lot of things going on that I would have previously thought are kind of like pipe dreams. Calls to abolish the Department of Education, even this rallying call from the new Right the past years to abolish the FBI, general claims of you know, like draining the swamp, these types of like old it's almost like stereotypical claims that now through musk they've been able to like weasel their way into actually dismantling like large, large systems that make the everyday functionality of the government possible. What should people know right now about the current attacks in the Department of Education? Trump is still allegedly drafting in executive order. He'll probably have to work through Congress, but we'll see the degree to which he even needs to do that what are you worried about like right now, and what do you think people should know about like the current the current attacks on the dewy.
Speaker 1: Well, there's the sort of immediate worries and then there's the larger worries. The immediate worries I'll have to say, I'm not terribly worried about. I mean, if you look at the reporting that we've seen, it is interesting that the White House seems to distinguish between the things that it can do unilaterally right without Congress, and those things that would need Congress. And I mean, it's a weird silver lining, but that gives me like some like measure of comfortability in this weird, bizarre world, only because you know, two weeks ago the administration was willing to do things that it had no authority to do right, just sort of his claiming authority to do everything. And so there is this at least recognition that there's not unbounded power. So that's sort of the immediate threat is not that huge because the White House or Trump's power over the Department or to close it up is relatively narrow, like most of the Department is established by statute, and he can't just dissolve things or move things around that are created by statute. He can't take money that's for poor kids and spend them on vouchers. Right, these things, you know, the law dictates. And the fact that he's implicitly acknowledging, or rather his advisors or implicitly acknowledging they need Congress's help gives me a little bit of comfort because I think that getting rid of the department is I'm not sure there's a majority in the House for that, but there's certainly not a filibuster, you know, sixty vote majority for that in the Senate. So that's short term. But I think there's something far more disturbing to me, and it's the long term, This sort of idea that there's something illegitimate about the federal role and education, that there's something illegitimate about public education itself. Those are very dangerous ideas. I have a piece that just came out yesterday and Slate that says, look, you know, the federal role in public education predates the Constitution itself. You know, probably no one, not many listeners, probably familiar, ever heard of the Northwest Ordinances of seventeen eighty five and seventeen eighty seven, but before we even had a United States Constitution. This foundational document laid out how our territory is going to become states. And without going through all the details, Congress embeds public education and the very fabric of what it means to be a state before we even have a constitution. And so that's very important. Is where we start at the end of the Civil War, right where we almost lost our democer see Congress as a condition of readmitting Southern states into the Union, says that one of the terms of readmission is that you create public education system and you never take those rights away, right, forcing public education into the South in places where it never had been before. You know, people are more familiar with the civil rights movement. So I won't go through all that, but just to take one more pause, I mean, Congress created a Department of Education in eighteen sixty seven, right to get this public education project off the ground. So this isn't some wild new sort of fantasy of liberals or unions that we need a department so that we can hand over the spoils to teachers. This is an idea about what it means to have democracy in America and public education is a centerpiece of that, and the federal government has been pushing it for two hundred and fifty years. And that's a good thing. It's a good thing.
Speaker 7: How do you think that relates to the administration's attempts to centralize executive power? Though, Like, if you look at like what happened with you say it, right, this agency that has been has been tried in law that may not be legally abolished now, but they've been effectively abolished, Like all the employees are on leave, it's been hallowed out.
Speaker 3: It essentially no longer exists.
Speaker 7: I feel like they're trying to at the very least test the bare limits of executive power and bypass Congress when they can. Part of my fear is like Congress is not willing to fight them on that, Seemingly like they're not willing to call them on that. They're almost willing to acquiesce their like appropriation's ability as well as you know, the ability to have actually have to like remove departments from existence or create new ones.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you're picking up on a thread that's much bigger than a department. Right, So, when Congress is willing to hand the keys over to the president. Then we no longer really have you know, a democracy, or at least the constitutional democracy that was created, you know, a couple of centuries ago here in which the president executes the law. The president doesn't make the law, right, Congress funds programs, not the executive. But if if ultimately Congress is going to shift all that authority over like that, that's a dangerous place for democracy to be. There are no checks anymore. So I think what you're raising up is the fear that there aren't any checks in place. You know, Fortunately, there still is a legal apparatus. I mean, even if Congress isn't standing up shouting and complaining, it's still the case the president can't just do whatever he wants, and hopefully the courts, you know, would would step in. I use the word hopefully. I think courts will step in to limit his ability to do things that go beyond to statutory power. So the bigger danger, I think is that through law itself, Congress seeds more and more power to the president with a new legislation. So if Congress were to pass new legislation giving the president more centralized power, well that would be a concerning thing to me. Let me just stop and we'll get to your next question to go. But we have a larger phenomenon that's just it's not just about Trump, and people don't necessarily realize this. I mean, look, I don't think that President Obama was a dictator or had authoritarian tendencies. I was part of the Obama Biden transition team, but I testified against Arnie Duncan in a case or against the United States Department of Education in twenty twelve or fourteen or something like that, because the department was taking power that it clearly did not have in regard to a no Child Left Behind waivers. And you know, I told the current administration, as much as I hate it, right, I wish we could just wipe away student debt. I feel bad for my students who have huge debt. But I said, it is beyond the president's power to just wipe away all this debt, and they did it anyway. The real point here is that both Democrats and Republicans have been asking things of their presidents that their presidents don't have the power to do, and their presidents are doing it anyway, right, And it's because our Congress is broken. Our Congress isn't doing its job. So citizens are demanding that our presidents do things that they really don't have the power too.
Speaker 7: And that's like the big thing that I'm concerned about is we talk about these things that presidents are not quote unquote like allowed to do. And I feel like like both Trump and Muskre now are are speed running like the limits of executive power, and they are willing to test the boundaries a little bit a little bit more than previous presidents, and they're willing to break the government temporarily to like their goals be enacted. And at a certain point, it's really tricky when the thing that you always hear is, you know, like hopefully the courts will step in, hopefully they'll do something. If things get really bad, who will like literally stop them in terms of like the courts told them to halt the funding freeze, and there's there's still grants that they were refusing to issue that were already approved legally need to be followed through on that they are still withholding. And it's really frightening when it comes down to like basic level of like is there people military police who will enforce this that things get really bad? That's something I don't have like complete confidence in anymore.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I deal with this every year at the beginning of my constitutional law class. Right, this is not a new problem. It seems more real and frightening, but it's not a new problem. And so what I tell my constitutional law students is that the rule of law doesn't exist because of courts. Right, it doesn't exist because of police officers. Right, that the rule of law, when push comes to shove, exists in the hearts and minds of Americans, and if they don't believe in it, all is lost.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 1: So, for when Brown versus Board of Education was decided, it was reportedly the case that the President said, you know, if the court wants to desegregate schools, let it do it itself. Because guess what, what's the Supreme Court. It's nine old people in one building with a handful of Capitol police. Like, they can't do anything, don't have a power to do anything. Right, So, our entire system really rests on good faith, or as I tell my students, like what is due to something you know, President Trump or Biden or whoever had done. The Federal District Court issued an order directing us marshals to take President Trump into a custody, so that order goes out. The marshals receive it, they march over to the White House. They come in the door and they say, we are here to take the president. Signed and it's already been fast tracked by Supreme Court, signed by the Supreme Court. The answer to whether we'll just use Biden, the answer to whether President Biden is escorted out of the White House by US marshals is not a function of military it's not a function of police power. It's a function of when that piece of paper is held up, does the secret service member believe that the rule of law exceeds his loyalty to the man standing behind him.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's where it's at.
Speaker 1: Right, And so you know, it really is a good faith litmus test. And I think we used to live in an era when I think we all had maybe more faith in the idea that people put fidelity and commitment to the Constitution and the law above personal loyalty. But we increasingly live in a Congress and in a world in a situation when it seems that people put personal loyalty above the Constitution.
Speaker 10: At times, JD.
Speaker 7: Vance was interviewed on a far right podcast about like two or three years ago, and he expressed desire for what he called a quote unquote dewocification program. Jahan like, sounds silly, but this is basically happening now. He extrapolated and said, quote, I think Trump is going to run again in twenty twenty four. I think what Trump should do if I was giving him one piece of advice, fire every single mid level bureaucrat, every civil servant in the administrative state. Replaced them with our people. When the courts stop, you stand before the country and say, the Chief Justice has made his ruling, now let him enforce it. And I feel like we're getting closer and closer to this scenario.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, where did jd. Vance make this statement at what context?
Speaker 7: On Jack Murphy's podcast Jack Murphy is like a fart commentator. Vance is invoking the political philosophy of Curtis Jarvin, who's becoming increasingly popular in the New Right. While lots of what Must and Trump by extension have been doing the past few weeks is taken pretty directly out of Curtis Jarvin's playbook for seizing executive power. And I feel like we're getting closer and closer to this, and so much of what's happening in various agencies it is about proving loyalty to Trump so that if there is some kind of constitutional confrontation, people side with them. DOGE is basically installing loyalty tests and running through communications to see what the loyalty to Trump is For different levels of administrative employees the FBI are negotiations to stay on, but only if they can prove their loyalty to the president. And like it's it's all of these scenarios that again, like originally would be kind of far fetched. When you're hearing someone like JD. Vance talk about this a few years ago on some like right wing podcast, that's one thing to watch this like happen in real time. For people like me who study like this type of like more like esoteric far right political theory, it's kind of surreal to watch the type of thing that you've been like writing about and thinking about, like on background for years now happen. I just kind of rambled there, But do you have any like, I guess thoughts on like this idea that like Vance is talking about in terms of like creating this constitutional crisis.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, look, I tend to be I tend to be the guy in the room that says, let's not let's not overreact, let's let's see what happens. You know that there's a lot of you know, institutional history, and there's a lot of Americans who I think the majority of good and decent people, and they don't they don't want authoritarianism. So this, this is me, right, this is my predisposition. But a week or so ago, I had a huge crisis of confidence, should we say, there were just a few events in the news that I was just like, I just never thought that this would happen in America. I never thought a governor would I mean, some of this was what governors were doing. I never thought a governor would do that. I never thought a president would do that. I just never thought, you know, never thought, never thought. And so I said to myself, you know, are any of my opinions or projections you know, valid anymore? Because I'm the guy who never thought? And so that was that was you know, that was a tough twenty four hours for me. I'll have to say. So, you know, I don't know if like I just rebooted and for self sanity and move forward, or you know, whether there is still some truth and reason to believe in certain stability. And I mean, I will say this, you know, as we started this conversation, and the fact that the White House is conceding that it can't do everything to the Department of Education that it wants to do without Congress is a good thing. If you read the five executive orders for that they've already issued there, it's a good thing that actually, if you read them carefully, it's mostly directing appointees to think about stuff, not actually do stuff, but to think about stuff. And of course the president can appoint them to think about stuff. If they do the stuff they're thinking about, that becomes a problem. But again it is this sort of like can I grab a headline about what would sound like an awful you know reality, But really, all I've done is type of to think about that reality. You know, that gives me some faith, right And notwithstanding the fact that this United States Supreme Court, you know, granted an immunity to all presidents that I never could have imagined. You know, this court does you know, issue opinions that surprise us every single term, and they line up with the rule of law. It's just it's unpredictable to some extent which which opinions those are going to be. So I have this faith, you know, these sort of pieces of of the puzzle that still suggests we're still democracy and are going to remain one. But you know, I have I have my really bad days. I think, like you know, I think a lot of people have a bad day every day right now. It's you know, I just feel thankful minor mine or fewer and further between than others. And maybe that's just psychological coping. I don't know.
Speaker 7: Let's let's I guess clip we're talking about disunion and and how that relates to the general feeling I think a lot of people are experiencing around the country as well as you know, linking back again to the attacks on Department of Education.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I spent a good a pretty good deal of time on this disunion question in my new book, Dangerously Learning, because I'm most of that book is focused on the three decades leading up to the Civil War, so that like the Civil War doesn't just happen overnight, it happens over the course of late eighteen twenties to the eighteen sixty with the South is saber rattling over and over again, openly talking about disunion. Right, so that you had a South that actually was diverse in lots of ways in its opinions about various things. I'm not going to say that, you know that there were a bunch of abolitions, but there was a manumissioned society in North Carolina in eighteen twenty nine that had I think sixteen hundred members. Right. The very idea of sixteen hundred you know, anti slavery advocates in North Carolina in the eighteen twenties is shocking to a lot of people, right, But ten years later, only twelve people show up to the final meeting, right, So you had something that changed there, right. And so you have this sort of period of escalating disunion and censorship and propaganda and sort of policing what is publicly you know, acceptable commentary in the South. All this stuff is happening sort of going in and you know, editing their sort of censoring textbooks, you know, demanding that books only be written by Southerners. Like, oh, I make a go on and on and on. We don't have time for it. What I point out though, in my analysis of what's going on, you know right now, over the last few years of education, is that there are a lot of policies that are attacking public education in the way that they previously had, and a lot of them are symbolic of disunion instincts, right, sort of just sort of anti government, right, anti sort of whatever the current culture is. And then there's actually policies that I argue are facilitating disunion. And one of those that I talk about is our public school voucher. I say, private school vouchers. You are so upset with You're so raging at the public school system that we need private school vouchers, right, and we are effectively paying, We're going to pay individuals to leave the public school system. And I call this a coded call for disunion, even if people don't think that's what they're doing. If we look back at where we started this conversation, which is institution of public education as something upon which American democracy has been built. Of course, it has lots of flaws and it wasn't perfect, but it's been part of how we build a democracy. It's always been a bipartisan project. Now becoming the thing that we rage against now becoming the thing in which we are going to finance exit from. Right, this is a step towards disunion from a fundamental institution of American democracy. What happens to us if they actually execute on that plan. I shudder to think about where we might be, because it's not just some private school that's the equivalent of the public school. We're talking about people on the public dollar retreating into their religious silos, into their racial silos, into their culture silos. And if there's anything I think that we could all agree on, is listening to only the people that you like on Twitter or listening only to the people that you like for the evening news is what got us here. And if what we have is education that becomes the equivalent of MSNBC and Fox News and Newsmax and you know whatever else, like that is a dangerous place. I don't know how we build democracy on such a system.
Speaker 3: What's the solution here?
Speaker 7: I mean, like beyond beyond people diversifying where they get their media from, and like for vast pats of the country, I think that that line's been crossed a long time ago. If you look at the way like Twitter functions, the way that people just exist in their bubbles and are happy to like people don't want to hear anything else, and with the most hostility coming from like both extreme ends. Yeah, I don't know how to get around this problem. This is something that you know, we've thought about a lot the past eight years, but certainly longer.
Speaker 1: Well, I'll say this, you know, public school can't solve all of the democracy's problem. You know, be a fool to say otherwise. But if what we're doing is talking about education itself, I think number one is that I think our leaders need to understand better understand the dangers of you know, vouchers for instance, like right now and I'm writing about this, like they think it's just a policy dispute, and like if you just look at the surface level, it's like, well, who cares if we give some more vouchers and that makes the most far reaches of our party happy. But like I think sort of really stepping back and appreciating how dangerous this is to our democracy is step one. That's hard, right, I'm talking about teaching adults to see things differently than what they currently see them. But as to our schools, I mean, I've got a little bit of stiff medicine for both sides. I mean, I do think that in the push for more justice in our public schools, and I think we do need. I mean, that's what I've devoted my career to. I do think that, Well, I don't think our schools did any of the any of the awful stuff that you know that the right has said, but I do think that they maybe were not as open to people disagreeing with them as they should have been. And what I really mean is in the push for justice, I think there was a bit of shutting down conversation. Not teaching children to reach their own conclusions, but giving them conclusions and expecting them to reach them. And so one of the things I'm working on my new book is that, like, I really think we have to rethink how we teach history, you know, how we teach literature. Maybe not so much literature. I think our literature teachers are pretty good, but rethink how we teach those things such that we are not committed to our children reaching particular conclusions. What we're committed to is our children engaging in free and open thought amongst themselves, right with hopefully an adult in the room that can you establish some guidelines. But I think you know, public education didn't do that very well five years ago, ten years ago, thirty years ago when I was there. But I think in this moment of cultural fracture, we do really have to commit to free speech, open to a inquiry, listening harder, thinking harder, right, not just bullet points, not just bullet points.
Speaker 7: What would cross the rubicon for you? People throw around the term constitutional crisis? What would actually happen that would make that something that you that you would be like this like it like like it is happening? What is that like make or break moment?
Speaker 1: You wanted me to imagine a realistic one or just sort of give you some sort of example that makes.
Speaker 7: Sense, No, like like what what would that be like for you? Because like I think everyone has their own personal rubric for like like what is too far in my mind? Like what is something that's like this is this is completely unacceptable? And for some people this this may have already happened. But like in terms of like legitimate like constitutional crisis, what is that for you?
Speaker 1: Well, this just rewind and this is I guess an example of why you know, someone still got their finger in the damn hold them back, holding it together. You know, the President of the United States asserted unilateral authority over the entire federal budget when he came into office, right, he does not have that power. Federal district court and joined it. He then backed down from that, right, but let's say he didn't back down. It's like, well, okay, you know, maybe you know it's a district court. But if the United States Supreme Court or a court of appeals told the president you lack the authority to sequestor those funds and he still did it. So just the budget, that's it. Just the budget, you know, just the belief that the president can spend our money however he wants with no constraint, and that would be crossing the rubicon. Now, I'll tell you. And this is why you know you had to kind of be like a constitutional law professor, or well, you don't have to be a constitutional law professor, but you've been following it. It's like, you know, I have been alarmed, and this goes back. This isn't just a Trump problem. Like I was alarmed with the NCLB waivers. Probably nobody in this even knows what I'm talking about. Right, like, you know, a decade ago, not that like President Obama was like going to take over the country, but alarmed that somehow another he thinks he can do this, Like why is he even testing the boundaries this way?
Speaker 7: Like executive power has been steadily expanding certainly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so but I was like, you know, you can kind of get it. There was some gray area this where he kind of need to be a constitutional law professor to kind of figure out why that was such a big deal. But when Biden, I mean think back and again, I don't begrudge people needing their debts relief, but when President Biden effectively asserted the power to allocate federal dollars to pay off debts, that was like, you know, half of the discretionary funds of the entire federal government. Like that's a big move to just say, yeah, I can I can commit this nation to a fifty percent increase and it's in its fiscal outlays tomorrow. That's not constitutional democracy. But now right, we have a present going even further than that. But he liked Biden at least thus far stepped back at least from the district court right when the court said can't. So it's really that sort of defying of the court at that point. Yeah, they've all been pushing the boundaries. He's pushed him further thus far. They've all complied with judicial orders, but it would be the refusal to comply with judicial order.
Speaker 7: I mean, I guess the main difference there for me relates back to what you said about acting in good faith. Something that people on the left I think get mad about sometimes is Democrats seeming a complete commitment to acting in good faith sometimes. And it certainly appears that that Trump is willing to push a little bit farther, especially in terms of like tests for loyalty. And it's at a certain point, like if he does something really bad at least for these next two years, like I don't see a way that he'll get like impeached or removed from office, like certainly not with this Senate, not with this Congress, Like that check and balance just no longer is viable due to the last election, and acting with that popular mandate has I think given them a bit more courage on their side to go, you know, a little bit further, play a little bit more fast and loose some of these like checks and balances than what we've like previously seen, but this is certainly still still developing.
Speaker 1: Well, the thing that really sort of jumps out at me, and I was telling some you know, several reporters, is that you're right, he's pushing it further. It looks scarier.
Speaker 5: But part of why.
Speaker 1: It's scarier, to be quite honest, well, I think it's scarier is that he's doing it out in the open. I mean, on some level, some of this stuff like telling people to cook up crazy plans to do this that like presidents have been doing it, like you know, Nixon was Dixon. Nixon was paranoid. He was like, like, this is what presidents do, but it's not appropriate to do it in public, right, you do it behind close doors. You know, offer some plausible rational rationalization for what you're doing, and you know, you minimize it, act like there's no big deal. What's startling here is that he is out in the open expressing his designs to us, giving us the sort of thoughts. And that's very unusual. And it does show that what's acceptable from public officials is much different now because had you know, had Nixon shared his designs of the American public, he wouldn't have made it as long as he did, you know, and probably true of a lot of other presidents, they would have been gone. So what's actually acceptable as public behavior has clearly changed, what's acceptable as a policy agenda has clearly changed. And so he's just putting it out there. He's putting his dirty laundry out there, and people are like, oh, this is normal.
Speaker 7: Unless you have anything else to add, Do you want to talk about where people can find you and your writing?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I'm on Blue Sky more recently, still on on Twitter. I sort of have, you know, just lots of friends on there, so I'm still there. But to me too, yeah, you know, I'm not on there as often as I used to be. You know, I give up blogging a long time ago, so, you know, as we drink out of a fire hydrant, you know, I spent a lot of time just trying to explain basic things about public education to reporters. But you can find me there. I'm a professor of law at the University of South Carolina, And like I said, you know, Dangerous Learning just came out, you know, a week or so ago, really helping us, I think, helping us to see this current moment through a long lens of war on black equality, black freedom, and to be quite honest, just free and open debate. We've had those wars before and and we scarily are having them again.
Speaker 2: All right, thank as much, Thank you, Welcome back to It could happen here. This is a daily news podcast about all of the things happening here, which is wherever you happen to be, and also the world in general. And today we are going back to talk about Gaza, particularly what has happened and changed in sort of US policy relating to Gaza, to what's going to happen as the actual combat operations wind down, to the Trump administration's so far promises to effectively ethnically cleanse the entire area and turn it into some sort of weird US satellite. And with me today is Donna el Kurd, an assistant professor of political science, guest on our episodes about bib N Yahoo over It, Behind the Bastards. Dana, thank you so much for being here with us. How are you doing today? I know that's a dumb question. I just asked you that at the start of this too.
Speaker 12: Now, thank you for having me. I think every Palestinian in the world is not doing great.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, again, like I said, a dumb question. The short story of what is happening is that Trump made an unprecedented announcement about a week ago on stage with Netan Yahoo that gazo would be that, like the Palestinian population would be forced out and not allowed to return, and it would be turned into effectively American condos. Right, Like that's I think that's essentially the gist of the initial meeting, which was met with a degree of chaos even from Israel, because I don't think anyone entirely knew exactly what Trump was going to say when he got up on that stage, which is pretty normal Trump fashion. But yeah, how would you characterize kind of the initial reaction to that announcement.
Speaker 12: Yeah, so a couple of different audiences for that announcement to begin with. For the Israeli side, I mean, what I'm hearing from analysts and people who follow Israeli politics is that this has really changed the permission structure for them.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 12: I think you're right that didn't expect something to this degree, But now that it's been said, it's like that is the full extent of what we can expect to do right, and so I don't think a lot of people are thinking, like, for real, there's going to be a Gaza riviera. But what this does is it just expands the scope of what they think is possible for Gaza, whether it's preventing reconstruction and you know, basically keeping them in this kind of stagnant condition and allowing people to start trickling out and leaving and anybody left is considered combatant. That could be a possibility moving forward. It could cover up for more aggressive action ending the ceasefire. I mean, it's really upended the things in terms of the Israeli perspective. Yeah, and how much they've accepted it, I think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I mean my interpretation would be that what Trump's literal words leave the door open to everything from like you said, sort of slowly waiting for people to trickle out and not letting them back in kind of like what you saw in the Chagos Islands, or outright mass killing. You know, like there's no closed doors and Trump's plan Other than about three hours before we recorded this on Monday the tenth, a series of articles went out based on some of Trump's comments, confirming Palestinians wouldn't be allowed back into Gaza under his plan, right, the plan is for ethnic cleansing, right, Like, that's the only way to describe that.
Speaker 12: Yeah, No, it's very explicit. And I think that the way in which American allies, allied regimes in the region have reacted to this, like shows a great deal of alarm. Obviously, Jordan and Egypt, already struggling as it is with a variety of issues, don't want a bunch of Palestinians who are very politically active to be absorbed into their population. The Saudi government, you know, put out I would say, like a pretty strong statement. I mean I was. I was surprised how strong it was about how much they do not endorse such plan.
Speaker 2: So yeah, and it's interesting because Trump, in the way that he often just like says shit has I'm going to read the exact quote. I'm talking about starting to build And I think I could make a deal with Jordan. I think I can make a deal with Egypt. You know, we give them billions and billions of dollars a year, and so far Egypt and Jordan have both said no, this is not something we're interested you and special Rapporteur Francesca Albanize said Trump's proposal was nonsense but has to be taken very seriously, which I actually think is a reasonably good summary of how to handle everything that he says. It's nonsense that you have to take it very seriously.
Speaker 12: I mean, the man has the nukes, as we've discussed, so yeah, I mean the way that people have reacted is obviously a great deal of alarm. And on the Palestinian side, it's like Palestinian different Palstinian political actors are bracing for, Yeah, the end of the ceasefire essentially.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, that's pretty stark term to put it. And I don't know, I guess because yeah, one thing that the door is open on Israel saying, well, now that we've announced this plan and people have to get out, everyone's staying is effectively a combatant exactly.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I think that that's. Yeah, it's not you know, what we've seen over the past four hundred and seventy days up to cease fire is not that they have much respect for non combatants to begin with. Yeah, that really didn't stop them from targeting civilians, targeting children. So you can imagine now that even I mean, it's hard to even talk about it in these terms. It's not like le Bide administration was really holding them accountable either, But now again, because the permission structure has just been expanded to such a degree that we don't know what kinds of things we're going to see for people who remain in Gaza in the coming future. And obviously this derails any possibility for Palestinian and Israeli civil society actors who are trying to move beyond this particular status quo. And there's no international actor that's really empowering those efforts, and so it's really bleak.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's bleak in so many comprehensive ways. Like one thing, and not to I don't mean to like kind of take the focus off of Gaza, but this is you use the term permission structure on an international level. The US saying we are backing a forced expulsion in genocide of an entire population does change the permission structure for every international actor in terms of like a massive variety of conflicts around the world, Like this is like a sea change in international norms that so many millions of people outside of Gaza will eventually and the probably immediately be effective.
Speaker 12: By I mean, I think that there has always been gaps in what is acceptable and what is permissible under international law. Obviously that has never been applied evenly. And then if you were a particular group that didn't have American backing, for example the Armenians in Artza, it didn't matter if you were ethnically cleansed. But like you said, this just expands it to such a scope like now this is an acceptable policy solution to remove wholesale, huge populations. And when the ceasefire happened, there was an argument, and I think that this is a valid one that Palestinians the fact that they were able to in the ceasefire agreement secure their right to return even to the rubble, that was a huge obstacle to this kind of precedent, and I think Trump is now try to upend that victory, even if it's you know, in terms of a precedent set or in symbolic terms, like you said, this is now going to become how states operate. I mean, the Syrian dictator during the Syrian Civil War I think pushed the bounds of how states can operate. And this is another level.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, and I think that this is an I want to kind of zero back in on Gaza in a second, but I really do. I think that that broader point that you just make can't be made enough, not just the centrality of Syria, but the idea that when on the international stage the leader of a country is allowed to do force displacements through massive aerial bombing, Like there's this idea that you can just be like, well, that's just Syria, right, It's never just Syria, just like it's never just Gaza. You know, these things metastasize. You have to view that those kind of actions in the international stage like a cancer.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 10: No.
Speaker 12: Absolutely. There was a Syrian activist and political writer, yasinl Hrsala, who said, the Syrianization of the world. Yeah, and we're seeing the gasification of the world. We will see the gassification of the world. Yeah, and that's very, very dangerous for everybody involved.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that can't be overstated. A chill kind of goes down my spine thinking about that and thinking about that quote, which makes this a very bad time to throw to ads. But that's what I'm going to do. Then we're going to come back and we're going to talk about b mining. We're back so to zero Beckon on Gaza. Obviously, one thing that comes up when Trump talks about this plan that is an actual thing that would have to be dealt with one way or the other, is that huge chunks of Gaza are uninhabitable right now and will be for the foreseeable future because of the sheer quantity of munitions dispensed. A number of munitions that have been used in Gaza are cluster munitions, but even munitions that are not cluster munitions, when you're dropping bombs on particularly dense urban targets, there's a wide variety of things that can happen to those munitions on their way to their target, including them getting deflected by debris, them getting deflected by pieces of metal and rebar and the like that damages the device and stops it from detonating but leaves it still in an active state. And the estimate I'm seeing for munitions used in Gaza is about ten percent of the munitions, and there's no way of knowing how many have been dropped, but estimates are at least thirty thousand in the first seventy days I think weeks sorry much less than seventy days, nearly thirty thousand munitions in the first seven weeks of the war, so a huge number, about ten percent at least, are still active and live. And you know, for an idea of how long it takes to d mine and render an area safe for munitions like this, there are still people who die in France from wor World War One munitions, you know, up to the present day in twenty twenty five. So this is a massive problem. In the best case scenario, something has to be done with these munitions. This is something that Trump has been bringing up and when talking about like his desire to clear people out of their d mine and then rebuild effectively what sounds almost like a vacation colony right for the United States. And one of the issues just with any sort of practical sort of effect with D mining is that USAID has been gutted as an agency, and that's the agency through which D mining was done. We've spent billions of dollars, put billions of dollars into D mining around the world through USAID. The US military is actually not allowed by our laws to do D mining operations. There's a complicated history there, but like so we both got this situation where the proposed justification for pushing the population out is, well, it's not safe to be there, we have to determine it. And also we have created a situation in which the organizations that do d mining can't do it anymore.
Speaker 12: Yeah, and I think those same organizations asked for like an exception to the stop work order and were denied by the State Department. And yep, no, you know, no explanations were given. And so I mean it's it's obviously a fig leaf. Yeah, it's obviously an excuse, like this has nothing to do with bettering conditions in Gaza. And I the fact that he's gone back and clarified and has been asked the number of times, including last night after the super Bowl or something, and he said no, no, they won't be allowed to return. Yeah, well, all right, what are you demining? You really think you're going to build hotels?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 12: My understanding is like people in the administration were also surprised by this tack of reasoning. So I wonder who's fed him this idea, Like, who's given him this idea that he's going to be able to build hotels.
Speaker 2: Here my understanding, based on reading don't have any inns in the Trump administration. But the reporting I've seen suggested came from Kushner that like a year or so ago, he was talking, I have been talking about this like this is great, you know, a great place to build a condo. It's beautiful, you know, wonderful weather. I mean, we know just from the past. That is kind of how Trump works is somebody people tell him a lot of shit, but something sticks in his brain and that, like with the Greenland shit can become US policy. And that appears to be I mean, as best as I can tell, that's the origin of this.
Speaker 12: It's just like the grift can really stick in his mind. He's really good at holding onto possibilities for grifting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the fact that you are doing a genocide in order to clear land for condos doesn't make it less of a genocide, but it is like a justification for genocide. I don't think i've heard a country's leader make before, right. I mean, parts of this are familiar and go back, you know, even to the Iraq War in terms of US Paul and further back right, like what is kind of the core of US support of Israel as our desire to have a stable territory within the Middle East from where we can project power, right, So, to that extent, this is like a natural expression of US policy for decades in the area, Like, well, what if we just take this for ourselves and then we have this stable platform from where we can airstrike whoever the hell we want, and also Jared Kushner can have his condos.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I mean the thing is they can. They can achieve and have already been able to maintain American hegemony with all sorts of bases across the Middle East some secrets, I'm not, Yeah, cultar like it's it's this is I think this is another level where it's like American andgemony is tangential to Jared Kushner making money. So it's an interesting little I've never seen a hedgemon kind of shoot itself in the foot in this direction to this degree.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't want the focus to be on the danger to Americans from this, but this is extremely dangerous for Americans too, right, Like having your country openly back a genocide to this extent, like not just even arming it, but saying like we are specifically going to build, like take this land and profit off of it is such as it so comprehensively escalates everything on an international scale, Like I don't even, I can't even. I can't think of a single decision that's this reckless that's been made in my lifetime by American politicians other than the Iraq War, right.
Speaker 12: And that was I think maybe the first nail in the confine. And we're reaching the last nails in the coffin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well the coffin's almost done.
Speaker 12: It's almost done. We're dismantling the whatever remnants of the international order used to exist, and it's really going to be a free fall.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know what more to say on that. I guess kind of one thing we should get into is what we're seeing in terms of the Trump administration and pro Palestine protests in the United States. Obviously, last night at the Super Bowl, we had a moment where a member of Kendrick Lamar's the performance crew on the ground. I think it was one of his dancers. As far as I can tell them, I don't believe the individual has been named yet. Maybe I missed that.
Speaker 12: I think somebody has released his name. I took to intercept.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, I don't feel specifically a need to do that, but an individual who was a part of that was standing on like one of the cars that was on stage that Kendrick had been dancing on, unfurled a Palestine and Sudan flag is a fairly small, like a couple of feet wide, couple of feet deep, so like not like a mask, certainly not a destructive act, but like, not only did that person get like banned for life from all sort of NFL events and performing or attending them, which I suppose was not super shocking, but there were immediate announcements by New Orleans Police that they are trying to figure out what to charge this person under, which, like I tell me what kind of crime that is?
Speaker 12: You know, I mean, it's not like he even invaded the pitch, right, like he's it was like to be an actor.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he did a thing.
Speaker 2: I think that wasn't part of the script, I assume, but like, I don't know how you even charged him. Yeah, I don't think charges are out yet, right, but they're going to find something to do, which is also going to set a precedent, right because this is nothing. This person was not in a place they weren't allowed to be this person didn't damage any property they held a thing like that's the definition of protected speech. You know, if you're their employer, you can fire them for that, but you can't charge them criminally for that.
Speaker 12: I mean they wanted to make an example. They and we'll see what kind of example that they try to make out of this person. And it like, like you said, it's really in line with Trump, the Trump administration taking aggressive action against any forms of dissent around American foreign policy. That is obviously, as we've mentioned, like very tied up with the genocide that unfolded. And so it's these executive orders around deporting international students, it's executive orders around like expanded understandings of anti semitism and the ideas. Even if you don't go after everybody, you're making an example enough that like you're chilling people's abilities to engage, whether it's on campuses or you know, off campuses, and so it's it's definitely I can tell you from like the academic perspective, like a number of disciplinary organizations and and and like mile Ease Studies Association and things like this, like they're they're very concerned, like this is a very concerning moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want to kind of dig into that a little bit more and will continue our conversation. I've got to throw to Adds one last time and then we'll be back. We're back, Dana. Yeah, we're just talking about kind of the chilling effects this has had as an academic. Do you want to talk a little bit about what you've experienced so far and what you think kind of needs to be the response to this attempt to chill any kind of protected speech in favor of Palestine or not even in favor that's the wrong way to put it. Yeah, discussing the reality of the genocide.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I mean that's the thing is, like they have not They've conflated Yeah, any any attempt to give information with advocacy. Yes, so there's that conflation. But then, of course advocacy in and of itself is protected. Yes, you're certainly allowed to advocate if you're a student or things, or you know, a citizen in the world, like of course, so there is that conflation. And I will say that, like, we're seeing attacks on academic freedom, and we're seeing attacks on freedom of speech and freedom of assembly on academic campuses, both in public institutions, that have to uphold public laws and also in private institutions that have paid lip service to things like free speech and are now ignoring that commitment in the past. And so we've seen even tenured professors like what happened in Nihlenberg College, like tenured professors being targeted losing their jobs. And I can say that this has really activated organizations like the American Association of University Professors, the AAUP, the Middle East Studies Association as well. Their Committee on Academic Freedom has been working to collect data on how this has impacted people's abilities to engage on the issue of Israel Palast that even in their research or teaching. And then there was a study by two professors Mark Lynch and Shibity Tidhemi George Washington and University of Maryland respectively that found something like over ninety percent of professors who teach on the Middle East are self censoring Jesus. And it's not because they're out in front of the classroom giving a crap about giving their opinion.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can tell.
Speaker 12: You none of us want to change anybody's minds about this. It's like they're literally just self censoring the content. Yeah, like we're just afraid to even address what happened, what's happening in a historical context, or you know, teaching a course on Israel Palestine or any of those kinds of things is now completely under the microscope.
Speaker 2: And this is all part of the whole kind of authoritarian chilling effect of any ability to express anything outside of like what the regimes can that you live under considers acceptable, you know, And it always starts with these well, you know, if we talk about Palistine and what's happening there, then maybe this department will get you know, its funding cut, and we won't be able to talk about anything. So really, this is the same decision a lot of hospitals are making around like the treatment for trade and skill wealth. We'll lose our funding if we do this, and we do all these other good things. But they never stop, right, like, you never actually are safe. There's no point at which these people say it's enough. They take your ability to talk about or to act in one way away, and then they take it in a way in another, and they keep taking, you know, until you make a stand, and you might as well make a stand the first time they start trying to take shit from you, otherwise you're going to get backed even further into a fucking corner.
Speaker 12: Yeah, there has to be institutions and leadership at these institutions holding a line because this kind of preemptive obedience hasn't served them and it's not going to change. Fundamentally, the fact that this administration sees academic knowledge production as a political landscape they need to control. And see, I mean Jadvan says it like professors are the enemy. Yeah, so what are you doing trying to placate you know, it's like you're just giving them an easier time.
Speaker 10: No.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Through the use of funding and their ability to kind of gin up outrage in media, groups like APEC have effectively blasted a salient in free speech in this country where you really you almost can't talk about Palestine and you certainly can't acknowledge what Israel is doing, right, You can't say it stayed in plane terms like we are watching a genocide be at least attempted here, right, And if you do that, there are huge consequences to most people in traditional organizations, particularly professors, which is always where it starts. And yeah, that salient is just going to get whiter and whiter and whiter, right, like that that's the way this stuff works.
Speaker 12: Yeah, yeah, I mean this is not a new argument, but it's like the ways in which the United States has engaged abroad. It's very much boomeranging home, you know. And so it's not about, like you said, it's not just about Palestine. It's not about people who studied Palestine are each about Israel Palestine. It's so much broader than that. The precedent that is being set, and what is like kind of a silver lining is that the last year of the Biden administration, the last year plus of the Biden administration, and then even now, I think at least it has helped people connect the dots a little bit, like this is not an issue in isolation, and just because you don't happen to work on it doesn't mean that you're safe from people meddling in your syllabi or chilling your speech on other issues, whether it's trans rights, whether it's you know, reproductive rights, whatever issue. If you don't toe the line, they're going to come for you too, right, And so I think that at least I've seen folks who are not who have never been, you know, activated on the issue of Israel Palestine, whether in their advocacy or in their research, they're making that connection at least, and maybe that's a silver lining that I'm trying to be less bleak here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I think that's helpful.
Speaker 2: You know, when I think about the hypocrisy of this moment, I think about how much of the clamping down on speech, particularly the attempt to punish like student protesters in the United States, is predicated on accusing them of backing HAMAS, right, And it's so interesting to me because, like, you know, obviously I don't think Hamas is a good organization, but neither is the IRA, and the former President of the United States, Joe Biden, made pro IRA statements, right, Like one thing is okay and the other is not. I don't know. I find it incredibly frustrating that like there's this pretended act that like, because you've got some people on one side who have made statements in favor of this group, that sucks that that is a reason for cracking down on the ability of people to talk about a genocide. Like it's it's just this hideous hypocrisy that I don't even understand how like people can keep that consistent in their own heads. But they don't need to, right, That's always the thing with fascists.
Speaker 12: No, there's no need for consistency. Yeah, yeah, I mean that's the thing. Is like, first of all, the conflation that like the entire movement made such a statement or you know, I mean obviously that that in and of itself is dishonest. And like you said, it's not that they care about consistency and they don't have to maintain an honest approach to this. They're just using these isolated incidents of particular you know, particular students or particular groups to shut down any speech around it. And I was featured in this like Vox video and it was just like an explainer, and I received some harassment and like accusations that because I was providing context in a Vox video, which is what I was asked to do based on my expertise, that I was making excuses for, you know, what had happened on October seventh. And I was like, is the red line now? Just even discussing anything like with any kind of expert tease or information like it's it's uh, yeah, it's mind boggling.
Speaker 2: I mean, I guess I think that is what they want to make thee Yeah. Yeah, what you went through there too makes me so angry when I read shit like and this is not on Gillibrand, but Christin Gillibrand was on someone's podcast recently talking about why some of her Republican colleagues who had expressed opposition to some of Trump's picks ultimately voted for them. And she's like, they're scared of getting murdered, and like, isn't everyone who says anything, and like you've got death threats for a vox video, Like why are these Congress people who have so many more resources to protect themselves, why do they get to be scared?
Speaker 12: Oh well that's that's yeah, Congress, And it's and it's inability to do anything, Like yeah, that's that's a whole other level of demoralization.
Speaker 2: Yeah, is there anything else you wanted to make sure we hit on during this conversation before we sort of close things out.
Speaker 12: I'm not sure if maybe this is two in the weeds, but I think there's been a lot discussed around Trump and the statements around Gaza and his and his supposed plans for Gaza, and some analysts have claimed that this has to do with like taking an extreme position, so that then Arab Israeli normalization deals could make the claim that, like we talked him down from this brink, yeah, and like Saudi is going to make peace with Israel and claim that we convinced Trump not to do this kind of thing. And so that's been something I've read in some analysis, and I don't think it's actually correct. I don't think that Trump is making these kinds of statements or possibly these kinds of plans, just as kind of like I don't know, multi level chess with Saudi Arabia to get them to sign a peace deal with Israel, and the conditions in the region I think have really shifted. And I don't think Saudi Arabia, as I mentioned at the beginning, because they put out statements to this effect, I don't think they're at all interested in this kind of move right at this point. So I just maybe I would only add that Trump is not playing this long game that we think he is. Maybe we can take him at his word.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, I know, because like Biden was playing a long game, a dumb long game, but a long game trying to brokers deal with like Saudi Arabia and Israel that I'm again I think deranged. If there's clear evidence that the fact that he was not compassmentous, it's that right. But it was a long game, and I don't think that Trump is I don't think Trump cares about that.
Speaker 12: Yeah, and the region has changed so much, you know, for whether we like it or not, Like Iran is not the threat it used to be, closer ties with Saudi Arabia. Saudi Arabia, I mean, has a huge influence on the new Syrian government, Like they don't need this, they don't need this, and like this is not this kind of long game, multi level chess, you know, mastermind over here that Trump is now doing. So yeah, I just wanted to add that.
Speaker 2: People are just doing shit and trying to grab onto whatever they can.
Speaker 12: Right and like let's see what sticks, essentially.
Speaker 2: Exactly I mean, and that is so much of that is the entirety of the current plan of the new regime in the United States is row everything you can out there and see what sticks.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're doing that in Gaza, just like they're doing it everywhere else. Well, Donna, thank you so much. Do you want to plug anything at the end of this your own stuff or something else.
Speaker 12: Check out I Guess The Fire These Times podcast. I sometimes do episode for.
Speaker 2: Them, Yes, yes, yes, yes.
Speaker 12: And if you're looking for organizations to help support gosins right now, Heal Palestine or a nara A n E r A are both doing really crucial work.
Speaker 2: Excellent, excellent, We'll check that out. Definitely check out The Fire These Times and that's a great place to send some aid. Donna, thank you so much for being on the show again. And yeah, I hope you Uh, I don't know, I hope, I hope.
Speaker 5: I hope that's what I got.
Speaker 12: Hope.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, thanks.
Speaker 1: For having.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Birds and the Bees, a podcast where James Stout makes animal noises and also we talk about what's going on in the White House this week.
Speaker 7: That's right, this is it could happen here Executive Disorder, our weekly newscast covering what's happening in the White House, the crumbling of our world, and what this means for you. That is Robert talking previously. James Stout is also here. I'm Garrison Davis. I'm also joined by Mia Wong. This episode, we're covering the week of February sixth to February twelfth. Currently, ME and Mia are inside New Orleans, Louisiana, and I am proud to report that fascism has been defeated. The Philadelphia Eagles have beat the KK Kansas City Chiefs in Super Bowl. Drake has been executed live on stage. It's a great week.
Speaker 2: That would have been kinder than what I actually happened to Drake.
Speaker 3: Look as someone, as someone in my brusk I mentioned, says capitalism. Currently the rule of capitalism seems inescapable, but the divine, the divine rule of the Chiefs once seemed undefeatable too. And they were fucking humiliated.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, they lost so bad.
Speaker 3: I can't even I can't even say that they were beaten up and down the field, because I'd even fucking get down the field, obliterately generational beat down.
Speaker 7: And yeah, when I arrived here in New Orleans on Monday, this is the Monday after the Super Bowl, so a complete nightmare. But there was just an ocean of an ocean of out and proud Eagles fans. And the funniest thing I saw is that when I was waiting for me to fly in, there was this like half a full clothing rack, a leftover Chiefs merch.
Speaker 3: And all of the Eagles merch were gone.
Speaker 6: I will see that Chiefs merch again somewhere in like a resource pause setting, and it's from now.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, that's going to be the uniform of a future civil war.
Speaker 7: Literally literally Taylor Swift themed Kansas City Chiefs merch.
Speaker 5: Ah. Yeah, huge Alpha capital.
Speaker 2: It's so funny. Oh man, Well, I guess. Yeah. The big losers this week, Drake and unfortunately the nation of Ukraine and most of the rest of Western Europe. Yeah, I guess We'll start with the big news today, which is that Trump just had a really great call with Vladimir Putin, went super well. They're going to be meeting, maybe in Saudi Arabia. There's been some floating of the fact that they might meet at the White House, which I don't think it ends well for Putin if he visits the Uniteds. I don't think it ends well for anybody if he visits the United States. This country is too heavily armed and crazy right now. But they're doing this because Putin and Trump have evidently reached some sort of agreement about the end of the war in Ukraine. Zelensk, he was not really consulted on this. He's made a couple of statements like, yep, we're hoping that this is what pushes everything towards peace, but it's very clear that what's happening is Ukraine is going to be made to give up a decent chunk of their territory. Now they do have Russian territory still to bargain with somewhat, so it hopefully will not be a situation where Putin gets is entirely his own way. But that is kind of the what's happening. And the sea change that will accompany this is that new Secretary of Defense and Alcoholic Pete Hegseth made a statement and a meeting in Brussels that the United States will no longer be the guarante of peace in Europe. Specifically, he stated that we're not going to tolerate of an imbalanced relationship which encourages dependency. But this was an announcement that the post war sort of status quo is no longer something that we can rely on going forward, and that is a really significant admission from the sec deaff.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's sick, it's pretty cool and it's gonna be great. It's gonna be great.
Speaker 6: If you're in the German arms industry, it's gonna be a banger year for you.
Speaker 5: You making simil.
Speaker 2: I think we could all agree the future is bright for German weaponry.
Speaker 5: Yeah, once again Germany will rise to its former glory. Hussah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you say that as kind of a joke, but like genuinely the fact that we are doing a bunch of stuff that is leading to the full re armament of the German army at the moment when the German fascist parties are like about to take power.
Speaker 2: When off Day is getting into power, Yeah, it's great.
Speaker 6: And the Luftwaffe hasn't even bother to change his slogo since the last time, so that's cool.
Speaker 2: Well, and what you bring up there me is probably worth discussing in concert with all of this, which is that AfD off Day, the Alternative for Deutschland, which is the new Nazi Party in Germany, is not the majoritarian party, but is taking enough seats that it is going to be included in the next governing coalition, which is something that has not happened in the post World War Two era. In the immediate aftermath of World War Two, every Western European nation basically came to a tacit agreement referred to as the Cordon sanitaire, which is when a right wing party starts to gain power, you do not coalition with them under any circumstances. Germany is actually like the last of the European countries to give up this idea. But the fact that the Cordon sanitaire has fallen in Germany is real bad news.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and the ADF, like it's worth mentioning, right, Like the ADF is so right wing and so nazi that, like the Italian Fascists to our empower right now, will not work with them.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, yeah, A bunch.
Speaker 3: Of stuff leaked a little while ago about these people at meetings openly talking about deporting every single Jew and every single immigrant from the country. Like these people are you know, I mean, they're just Nazis. And yeah, so now we're fucking handing them the fucking justification to fucking rebuild their entire arms industry. So yep, rich stuff.
Speaker 2: It is dark, I mean. And again when we say the Italian Fascist this is literally Mussolini's party, as in his granddaughter it's a member. Yeah, yeah, so, yeah, that's bad. I think that's probably most of what we can say about what's going on in Europe and with Ukraine right now. But it's not good.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, it's not good. It doesn't point to a great future.
Speaker 6: And this is the multi polar world that like Russia has wanted for some time, like coming to fruition, right, and I didn't want to talk about. So there was a time when Vladimir Putin some as you remember, was sanctioned by the International Criminal Court for his war crimes in Ukraine the United States. However, the United States has not been a signatory to the Rome Statute, so it wouldn't necessarily have enforced that arrest warrant anyway. But this week Trump signed a little executive order titled in block capitals, as We've come to expect, imposing sanctions on the International Criminal Court. In doing so, he followed the example of Putin, who in twenty twenty three put out arrest warrants for ICC prosecutors after they put out a warrant for his arrest. Trump didn't cite the Putin example. He called the ICC's actions against Israel illegitimate and baseless. That's a quote He specifically called the warrants against UF Gallant and Benjamin Etting Yahoo baseless. He then went on to claim, quote, both nations are thriving democracies with militaries strictly adhered to.
Speaker 5: The laws of war. This is a thing that is not true.
Speaker 6: His order then goes on to outline what it calls protected persons for people who an't familiar at the United States. Person is distinguished from the United States citizen. It also includes any permanent residents. It also includes US Armed Forces government officials and contractors working on behalf of US Armed Forces contractors Yeah, yeah, yeah, the people who can do no wrong. It then goes on to include US allies, including all of NATO and sometimes contractors working on their behalf. It says that if the International Criminal Court investigates any of these people, Trump called the Clara National Emergency. It also imposes material sanctions and travel bands on both ICC prosecutors and people acting on their warrants, as well of the families of those people.
Speaker 3: Interesting.
Speaker 6: Yeah, this is an unprecedented American politics, and sometimes it gets reported like it is. I want to throw back to what they called the Hague Invasion Act that wasn't its real name, but that was George Bush's. Like it authorized the President to use any means necessary to release United States people held by the ICC or at its request, So people studied calling it the Hague Invasion Act.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 6: Trump did also sanction ICC prosecutors and their families in twenty twenty for looking into US war crimes in Afghanistan. I think that happened in June of twenty twenty, so you can be forgiven for having missed up because some stuff was happening at that time.
Speaker 5: Oh was it? Yeah, things were going down.
Speaker 6: I'm sure the Philadelphia Eagles were beginning their rise to glory again. That was a big thing. Kansas City chiefs were doing some racist shit shockingly, shockingly. I'm sure Taylor Swift was doing something too. But yeah, this is like Israel has for nearly a decade been trying to hack smea surveil and threaten the Court. In the show notes, I'll include a link to a Guardian article that came out last year about Israel's attacks and attempts to undermine the.
Speaker 5: International Criminal Court.
Speaker 6: And just if I've been talking about something and you're like, what is the International Criminal Court? Very Briefly, it's based at the Hague. So if you've heard, you know you will stand trial at the Hague. That's what they're talking about. It has its most immediate routes in the tribunals investigated perpetrators of genocides in Rwanda and Yugoslavia. The US and Israel are not members of the court. They never signed the Rome Statute. Russia withdrew in twenty sixteen.
Speaker 3: Curious time to withdraw.
Speaker 5: Interesting, fascinating.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they just decided that it wasn't for them, and off they went to do some war grants. The ICC has been criticized, probably reasonably, for the vast majority of the people who have actually been prosecuted for the ICC being outside of the core neoliberal states. Right, it's prosecuted a lot of people in Africa. That doesn't mean that like African people can't do war crimes in Africa, of course they can, but it means that they're held accountable more often than when countries in the global North do war crimes, which they can do too. Okay, So Trump, that's like everything else he does, was condemned internationally for this right, including by several NATO allies. In so much as they really are NATO allies anymore given everything we've just talked about. However, it's also worth noting that some of the countries like France, who condemned Trump's sanctioning of ICC prosecutors, also allowed someone with an ICC warrant I Benjamin that's in Yahoo to transit their airspace. So like, therefore commitment to the ICC perhaps can be questioned, Like this is a problem with the ICC, right it doesn't have an integral enforcement mechanism.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, I mean like Canada previous sleep promised quote unquote promised, yeah, to arrest nat Yahoo if they were ever like able to, And like, yeah, I'm very curious to see how this is going to shake down with the US taking like an extremely firmer stance at least than we previously had.
Speaker 3: We already like you know, quote.
Speaker 7: Unquote like condemnic Canada, but like I'm interested to see Trump like be more interested in actually pushing this further than it has been.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I guess we'll see how it goes.
Speaker 6: For people who are unfamiliar, I do want to like really quickly mention that like Palestine is a signatory and therefore war crime to happen within Palestine and covered by the CORE. Even if states such as Israel are not signatories, right therefore, then they're still under the court to jurisdiction.
Speaker 5: So that that's how in this case this is happening. Yep.
Speaker 6: It could also make the ICC's life very difficult in terms of using technology, right that the tech back end of everything that ICC does. Try to remove that from any United States involvement would be very hard.
Speaker 7: Well, let's go on a quick out of break in return to talk about I don't know, the treasury or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's talk about the treasury.
Speaker 11: All right, all right, we are back.
Speaker 7: But before we talk about the Treasury, I first wanted to do some breaking news while kind of breaking. So when I was flying to New Orleans, I was able to fly past the brand new Gulf of America. It was a life changing experience. It really warmed my heart. And then luckily, a few days ago, Georgia Representative Buddy Carter announced legislation to empower Trump to enter into negotiations to quote unquote purchase or otherwise acquire Greenland and importantly to rename it Red, White, and Blue. Lind God, let's get some quick reactions from the panel.
Speaker 6: Sorry, as a person born in Europe, the idea of Buddy Carr authorizing the formation of Red, White and Blue Land, it's simply just like the fact that this is not a parody. It's just fucking too much for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I mean, well, what it is is purposefully ridiculous. It's a it's a flex, it's a statement of the power that they have over their own party and the country. It is purposefully absurd and everyone is going to go along with it because the Chief the King supports it, right, Like that's the point in my opinion.
Speaker 5: Yeah, see empress new clothes of evading places.
Speaker 2: Like, it doesn't matter. We can be as silly as we want.
Speaker 5: Genuinely interested in hearing from people in Greenland.
Speaker 7: Yes, honestly, I'm kind of surprised because I would I would assume it. Maybe maybe this is still in the works. If Elon Musk can find a way to call this thing excellent, is really my concern.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, but now I'm really interested in hearing from Greenland. Is genuinely You can contact us at cool Zone tips at proton dot me, which is an encrypted email address that you can send emails.
Speaker 3: To Yeah, all right, let's let's let's talk about Trump potentially crashing the entire world economy. He's taking more shots to just literally blow this all up. Yeah, okay, So let's talk about the treasuries thing and him potentially talking about not paying out our fucking treasury bonds. Okay, so many reason quotes from Reuter's so this is Trump. We're even looking at treasuries. Trump said there could be a problem. You've been reading about that with treasuries, and that could be an interesting problem. Now, treasuries again, our course, US treasury bonds. We will get to what those are in a second, but I need to read the rest of this quote. It could be that a lot of those things don't count. In other words, that some of the stuff that we're finding is very fraudulent. Therefore, maybe we have less debt than we thought. Now that's a very scary thing to say.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Treasury bills are the primary underpinning of like economic stability in this country. T bells are what large corporate institutions when they have a lot of cash. But like very wealthy people, it's where you park your money, and it's where foreign governments park a lot of their money, Like, yeah, and it's how our government gets a lot of its money because it's a good, reliable investment. So saying maybe we're going to declare some of these T bill investments bullshit is very dangerous.
Speaker 5: Yeah, for the global economy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I want to read this next line because one of the things that's happening here, right is that people just simply and this has been a real problem for this entire administrations, people simply do not believe that he means to do the thing he says he's going to do.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: Quote is this from Broiders. Again, it could be treasury payments, which is not linked the treasury bonds, said for shop Behani, investment chief for Asia at BNP Power Boss Wealth Management, I would be very surprised if they ever stopped a payment of treasury bonds to a holder. It would be like shooting yourself in the foot.
Speaker 5: He said.
Speaker 3: Now, this is something where these these institutional investors like they still have not quite wrapped their head around the fact that no, he really will do this shit because he doesn't understand at all. He thinks that American debt works the same way as like his own personal debt, and no it doesn't. I mean, it's it's worth saying something. So, I mean, just a very very basic shit about how national debt works. Right, Like all of our money, literally every single dollar that is in circulation, every dollar that is in a bank account, that is literally government debt, right like that that's what money is, right, And these treasury bonds are as you were talking about earlier, Right, this is like the investment asset for literally the entire world. And there's trillions of dollars of these. Actually Japan is the largest holder of treasury bonds. China's sort of been selling some of theirs, but they have a lot of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, probably good to be doing that.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And it's also you know, like the fact that he's saying he's not gonna pay these yet, Like this can start a massive crisis in which I've been talking for a bit about. You know, every day we sort of get closer to credit rating agencies like downgrading the quality of US debt, which is a real problem for us trying to like get money from people. And and you know, even if you listen to what that what the sort of bond analyst is saying, right, he's like well, it's fine, they'll just stop paying like US debt to other things, which is like unbelievably unhinged. Would also in and of itself, like like destroying the full faith and credit of the United States would absolutely just fucking annihilate the world economy. And it's also another example of Trump not understanding how the empire he's inherited works, because like, the one of the ways the US funds is government is by getting its client states to buy like trillions of dollars of assets. Like that's partially why feelie. Look at who who buys US assets, Like it's China and US tributary states like Japan for example, which is just purely in American military protectorate. Right, it's a sort of incredible system for the US. Right, you get a bunch of people and you, you know, you just you just sort of perpetually keep borrowing money from them, And it's this thing where they don't understand and who actually holds the power in the relationship, which is that the US having all this, is the one with the power and is the one that's getting everyone else's money for this sort of secure asset. So you know, who knows what's going to happen with this. If this actually starts happening, like, yeah, this is the world rending economic crisis levels of stuff. Well, we'll see if he moves on it, he may simply forget about it, or we're going to wake up one day and like the US's credit's going to be downgraded to like junk bond status, and yeah, everything's going to be chaos. So, speaking of Trump trying to sort of like take shots at pillars of the global economy, starting in March, he's trying to implement a twenty five percent tariff on all imported steel and aluminum. Most of that's actually from Canada and Mexico. I think in their minds is the thing about Chinese steel, but it's mostly from Canada and Mexico. This is also a fucking shit show because the US manufacturing capacity that we still have and we still actually do have a decent amount of like very high tech manufacturing capacity, right relies on this stuff, and this is going to make it more expensive, gets bad. It will do nothing to deal with the fact that US doesn't produce steel anymore, which is the product of that. One day, I'll do my structural Chinese steel over capacity episode. But you know, it's the product of like half a century of the global manufacturing economy, you know, becoming zero sum and they're simply not being a large enough consumer market for all of industrial goods, which means the production becomes increasingly you know, it becomes impossible to expand production to one place without you know, getting red production another place. In Trump things you can solve those with tariffs. You can't. Mostly it's just another like throw things at the economy.
Speaker 10: Shit.
Speaker 3: Now, you know, Trump is sort of throwing bombs at the economic system. One of the largest ones that he's thrown is he just straight up stole eighty million dollars in FEMA funding that they had already paid out, Like just straight up stole it from like New York City bank account. They like, so we've been paid to the government in New York. Right, this happened earlier today. Right, This is yeah, literally literally, this this is breaking news, breaking news on Wednesday. This is coming out Friday. This episode is being recorded on Wednesday. Everything that you hear, if shit has happened in the US a few days, that's from the future.
Speaker 1: We didn't know.
Speaker 3: But yeah, yeah, he literally like they have taken eighty million dollars just from this bank account. They just stole it. The hospital government is just straight up robbing banks.
Speaker 2: It's okay that came out today and said that don't worry your bank accounts are still safe, everybody.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And this is like appropriated funds like for FEMA, being sayly secured in banks that have like literally been still funds so approved.
Speaker 5: By Congress for a specific purpose.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, And what's actually going to happen with this? Right? Because you would expect a even like a normal shitty mayor of New York to like go sicker mode. However, well man, however, comma, here's from Yahoo News quote. Eric Adams has said he will not publicly create size Trump or his administration. Instead, he'll take his concerns to Trump in private. On Monday, Adams convened a meeting with his own top officials to urge them not to speak badly about the President and public, saying if they were to do so, it could risk federal funding. Later that day. That same day, Trump's Justice Department ordered the prosecutors in Adam's criminal case to drop the charges against him, in part, arguing Adams must be free of the burden of his corruption indictment to help carry out Trump's immigration agenda in the city.
Speaker 5: Great.
Speaker 7: Cool, This is the most like quid pro quote thing I've ever seen.
Speaker 2: It is the single most corrupt thing I've seen out of US politics. Yeah, like blatantly, it's staggering.
Speaker 6: I mean it would come from Trump plus Adams, right, like, yeah, we'll go see it.
Speaker 5: That's what we're going to say. We've hit a singularity of corruption.
Speaker 6: Yes, yeah, it's stumbled as always the first stop.
Speaker 3: Yeah. The only way they can go further than this is that Eric Adams is going to appoint Rob Lagoyevitch's head of like bank robbery or something. One can dream, mia, one can dream.
Speaker 6: There are a few other ways they can go further with Yo, I'm afraid to inform youmya, but we'll be hoping those don't happen.
Speaker 3: Well on the corruption index, on the corruption index.
Speaker 7: Okay, speaking of corruption, let's pivot to ads. All right, we are back, and I'm going to close by talking about the war on Woke, my new favorite news beat.
Speaker 3: That I'm forced to addention to every week.
Speaker 7: There was a transports band that that that Trump did an executive order about using a whole bitch of children as a prop, very clearly trying to steal steal the charisma from whatever that governor who lost the election did with his free school lunch there anyway. Instead now it's you just you know, hurt other children in the school by not making them be allowed to play sports. So that happened, and then a few other things have happened the past few weeks, and I'm kind of just like catching up on because I been really focused on, like reporting on like Muscus specifically, and there's been a lot of other stuff the past few weeks, So I'm going to kind of get to that now. The State Department's travel website changed the acronym LGBT to LGB on a web page like warning about like how dangerous it might be to like travel to like other countries with like worse legal protections, say LGB travelers can face special challenges abroad. Laws and attitudes in some countries may affect safety and ease of travel. Many countries do not recognize the same sex marriage. Many countries don't recognize the ex gender marker in passports and do not have it systems at ports of entry that can accept sex markers other than female and male.
Speaker 6: So they've only changed the title pot. Yeah, they haven't even bothered to edit the text.
Speaker 7: No, because because they also have another info page where they have just like control ft LGBT two LGB as well. So this is this is like one of like many changes we're seeing across a whole bunch of federal websites in relation to Trump's order to like remove wokeness and gender ideology. Previously, the CDC removed like HIV and trans related like health info pages from their website, and as of yesterday, February eleventh, the web pages for the FDA, Health and Human Services and the CDC were allegedly brought back online, restoring their January thirtieth status. They did this like right before a court mandated deadline to restore these pages, so like I can I can now go back on to the.
Speaker 11: CDC's HIV page.
Speaker 7: Verge was first reported on this, and they said that, you know, they've been unable to verify that all of the pages have been restored exactly to how they were before. This is something that we're still working on because it's literally happened, like you know yesterday. This is this is like a small, a small part of their of their current war on wokeness. Another aspect of this is there's been a whole bunch of orders from federal agencies to ban specific woke keywords across their databases, their websites, training information, including from agencies like Noah. So just like the weather and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, they released a memo of banning specific words across the agency, including words like ability, acceptance, access, affirmation, aggression, ally shift, androgyne a, sexual belonging, bias, binary, bisexual, black culture, DEI, discrimination, diversity, empathy, empowerment, equity, ethnicity, fairness, gay, gender, genitisphia, handicap, homosexual, LGBTQ, intersex, pan sexual, queer, transgender, transvestite, as well as words like impartial inclusion, indigenous, intersectionality, justice, The word white has been banned, They space social justice, underserved communities, race, privilege, powerdynamics, the data, American multiculturalism. So just all of these Like again, this is like the Party of Free Speech has banned all of these words, and it's not it's it's it's it's not just Noah. Also, the National Science Foundation has has released my most saying that they cannot have these words included in their documents because it could cause them to lose grant funding.
Speaker 6: Well, it's the end for race science. Then they can't do race science anymore.
Speaker 7: There's a lot of similar words flagged in the National Science Foundation list of banned words, like activism, activists, advocacy, a barrier, a bias, black LATINX community, uh diversity, equity, cultural differences, cultural heritage, culturally responsive, diverse, you know, diverse, community divice groups, diversified, diversifying, all this kind of stuff, ethnicity, equality, inclusion, inequality, LGBT, institutional marginalize, trauma, underappreciated, stereotype type, systemic underrepresentation, undervalued victim.
Speaker 2: I love that you can no longer do scientific papers about systemic infections. Yeah, organs, Like yeah, no, there's anything.
Speaker 5: That has a barrier, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 7: There's so many words that are just like used in like how like studies function that they cannot use because the word is too woke, and then they're gonna lose their funding. Like yeah, you can't, like you can't like look at like things being equal. You can't look at any kind of like scientific bias, Like you can't like this very basic stuff. It may just result in like the tiktokification of this, like trying to spell these words with like a different letter.
Speaker 5: Talking about cute little boots.
Speaker 7: So what it is, and like I'm laughing because it's all like absurd and it's kind of like kind of like a coping mechanism, but like this is all like very bad.
Speaker 3: Well, but like this some thing else, something else we need to talk about you, which is like like you are required by law as part of your grand proposal like have things that talk about like how this is going to affect different communities, et cetera, et cetera. Is a legal requirement for you to put that in your thing. So like if you were to like strictly enforce this, this kills every fucking grant. And this is this is one of these things where it's like you're literally just running straight into the federal law tells you you must do this thing, and the Trow Administration says these words are banned, and so like yeah, who knows, it's a really weird situation.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you can't do IRB right now. Like most guards will go through an institutional review board that will determine like if there are human subjects, they're like there ethical boundaries and like what you're doing is okay. I can't see it being possible to do an IRB and not say these words.
Speaker 7: Yeah no, and like we have to do scientific studies on like how how very disabilities affect people's lives, like very basic stuff like this, all of these types of things. It's really bad and these things like are going into effect. I know, like this is this stuff is still happening. Columnists to doctor Lucky Tran report quote, the CDC has instructed its scientists to retract or pause the publication of any research manuscript being considered by any medical or scientific journal. The move aims to ensure that quote unquote, no forbidden terms appear in the work band terms must be scrubbed. Great, it's all really bad, yep. And we're seeing this this sort of like lists being formed increasingly, including this DEI watch list put together by a conservative oppositional research group called the American Accountability Foundation CHRIST who released a DEI watch list, which publishes the names, photos, occupation, and personal information of mostly black employees who work under the Department of Health and Human Services When the website was first discovered, the employee profiles were labeled under targets. This has since been changed to dossiers like very very frightening, like very bad stuff, like very obvious intimidation for each target. The website lists a collection of alleged DEI offense, which includes donations to Democrats and social media posts having pronouns in their bio or previous work on since deleted diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives. Columnist Jamal Bowie says, quote, they are mostly targeting black employees. So this is quite literally just a repeat of Rigrow Wilson's segregationist purge of the federal government. And like, yes, like all of this, all of this like push against quote unquote DEEI is like very clearly just like white supremacists segregation in action. Like this is the whole point is that if any employee is a person of color, that means that they that they must be unqualified because they were hired only due to DEI and to avoid doing that, you could only hire white people. And Trump's Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy sent out a memo directing staff on where to direct like grant funds and he said, quote give preference to communities with marriage and birth rates higher than the national average unquote, which is a very clear dog whistle to just like only hire like white Christians are Christians with big families, you know, parenthesis like white people. This is like very very obviously what they're doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they're I mean, this is extending to the military now under Hegseth. West Point has just announced effectively the banning of a number of clubs, including the Society of Black Engineers, which is like three quarters of a century old something like that. Also ending programs that are focused on like recruiting into the military black soldiers but have like pivoted to recruiting from NRA gatherings, even though there's internal agreement that that brings in a lower quality type of.
Speaker 5: Say I've seen Sementara members.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I've seen a few NRA members, right, and I yeah. And it's just one of these things, like there's a very good book that I think people need to read if you want to know kind of the operational impact this is going to have, both on the US military and probably to an extent, law enforcement. We look at agencies like the FBI, there's a book called The Dictator's Army that heavily focuses on how changes like this impact operational efficiency, and the gist of it is that the goal, and clearly what Hegseth's job is, is to make the military into something that can't pose opposition to the new regime. Right, that's the goal here, because there's a very realistic understanding that the military was one of things that stopped him from maintaining power in twenty twenty, right, both because the military was not willing to be used to crack down directly on protests and because General Milly acted as a barrier to Trump's attempt to do a coup the last time.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 2: So you have an understanding which is very common when regimes like this takeover in democratic societies. In the early days of the Third Reich, the military was the primary concern Hitler had because they were not Nazis, right, they were conservative, but they were not in the tank for the Nazi Party, And there was a lot that he wanted to do that the military establishment at the time the Third Rich came to power wouldn't let him do. And that was that was one of the first things. And this this took several years, but that was one of the first goals of the Nazi regime and power was reforming the military as much as possible in their own image.
Speaker 7: And like so much of like what HEGGS is doing here specifically with like the West Point like club banning, it's like like these things are not like DEI. These things are like very old. These are like pretty like standard standard things that have been like roped into like what it means to like be in America. And we're now just seeing this like crusade against DEI being used to just reverse affirmative action and specifically select for white Christian applicants. Yeah, and like that's the entirety of this point here, Like they're they're using DEI as like as this like magical wand to frame things that are like pretty standard and like accepted parts of like how you do like hiring practices, how you don't do discrimination to just specifically only only like uplift white Christians. And that's part of this like very basic like Christian nationalist project that people like Heritage have been trying to do for a long time.
Speaker 3: I think it's also worth noting too that like the other thing that this mirrors, you know, and the like. Specifically in the way that this target's queer people is the Lavender Scare, which is a thing from like the sort of late forties through the sixties where the US is part of this like giant anti communist herge. It was on basically went through and found every gay government official and fucking ran them out. That's like another aspect of this whole thing, right, like the way these people understand the world. In order to sort of like purify their like white state, right like, you have to ord to the non white people, and you have to get rid of the queers, and you know, and people especially people who are fucking both. And so this is this sort of transformational project of changing this this sort of like just changing the composition of what the US is into, like and how its state functions, and how they can to like what level of violence they can bring about on people.
Speaker 7: And they've wrote these things together so closely now, like the anti trans like school executive order. Only the first first half the executive order was actually about the gender ideology stuff. The second half was aimed at curbing what they called discriminatory equity ideology d DEI. Basically it was proposing a program for quote unquote patriotic education across the country, basically trying to rewrite history to make like the United States like this, like noble historical project. H It's like stuff that they've tried to do before with that, like with that, like seventeen seventy six project that The New York Times reported on. Part of Trump's order called for quote an accurate, honest, unifying, inspiring, an ennobling characterization of America's founding and foundational principles, a clear examination of how the United States has admirably grown closer to its noble principles throughout history, the concept that commitment to America's aspirations is beneficial and justified, the concept that celebration of America's greatness and history is proper. And then the order goes on to try to ban the concept of white guilt, saying that like, teachers can get in trouble if any of their students feel guilty about things that people of like that same race have done in the past, and like making sure that teachers do not teach things in a way that could possibly make us students feel quote unquote guilt.
Speaker 6: They use the word children actually not students, which like is fundamentally something we don't do in education.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 6: We refer to our students of students because we respect them as people. We don't think of them as like lesser than, especially when we're getting to the points where we're discussing things like race and equity, Like these are high school students, right, maybe we know we certainly do discuss these things in university, and like, it's fundamentally shows a complete lack of understanding of how education works to call them children.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think it gets to what this is actually about when this is something that I would argue both Trump administrations were about, right if you look at when Trump like comes down the fucking elevator for the first time. So I think people may remember, like after Ferguson in twenty fifteen, there was Baltimore where there was you know, huge riots, massive convers with the police, like massive anti racist actions. And that's the that's like the thing that really truly tipped like a bunch of the Republican Party even further right from where they'd been with the Tea Party into into this into sort of trump Ism. It was, you know, it was a reaction to that and then this entire campaign, right, like all of the stuff that he's talking about here, you know, this is about twenty twenty, right, this is about reversing the gains that had beened, you know, and like obviously they were incomplete gains. One of the things that did happen was that a bunch of teachers were trying to change the way the US history is taught to reflect that this country was like again, a settler colonial empire built by slave labor, and you know that that expanded its territory through genocide, which is just this is just objectively true about how the US started. But the thing is, like that's not good for you know, these people's projects, right, Like saying that out loud is a fucking issue for them. And so you know, their their attempt to roll back everything that was gained from sort of the Black uprisings is culminating all of this shit with like the purge of black workers for the federal government, with all of these things ordering you and like that's why they're talking about all of these weird all they keep banning all these weird like terms that don't make any sense, Like we were talking about like empathy, right, so like, okay, so why the fuck are they talking about banning empathy? Yeah, because specifically these things come from the purges they've been trying to do in the education system, where they have a bunch of very specific grievances about like kinds of education stuff that teachers the teachers were implementing, particularly in sort of like middle and high schools.
Speaker 7: Well, I'm going to close here with two pieces of breaking news. One, like, earlier today, we learned that the NAH has finally has finally acknowledged that the grant funding freeze is illegal. And this is probably like due to pressure from like news coverage about all of the temporary restraining order violations through the continued freezing of funds, and now the NH is saying, because of these orders, we will resume funding. The first tro was like two weeks ago, on February first, So it's not like like they just learned about this. It's that they have in some ways like perhaps caved to pressure. Again, like, these executive orders do not enforce themselves, These are enforced by people at agencies. These things do do not do not become automatically enforced. So this is this is like one one step now you can go to a popular dot info who has been breaking the news on this specifically, and then some some breaking news that I have here on drop site quote unquote armored Tesla forecast estimated to win four hundred million dollars of State Department contract funds.
Speaker 3: What So, this could go one of two ways.
Speaker 7: This could either go a really funny way, yeah it's kinda sha or it could go a really sad way.
Speaker 5: Yeah I do.
Speaker 2: I do like the idea of a lot of Trump appointees being in Tesla's that are armored when the batteries catch and maybe the jaws of life can't cut through those, you know, yep, yep.
Speaker 6: Yeah it was. This is very funny because Trump went off on a on a cotangent about electric tank horrible idea, paintrat a couple of times, horrible idea. Yeah, Well he's had he's had to come to Jesus moment and he has changed his mind and he wants a more sustainable sure beast as they called it.
Speaker 2: What everyone always says, the problem with tanks is is that they don't explode enough when hit by munitions or by themselves, when not hit by being by themselves, just because.
Speaker 5: Batteries do that sometimes.
Speaker 6: Yes, yeah, you never know what you're going to get.
Speaker 2: I'm excited. This is going to make everything a lot safer for our our our men and women in Greenland. I'm guessing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, batteries. Batteries thrive in the cold, red, white and blue lid.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I do love the new m one a whatever seven abrams that gets four miles on a chart.
Speaker 5: And then again detonates wait.
Speaker 6: Six months to use a solar panel to field recharge.
Speaker 5: At least it doesn't get light for six months.
Speaker 2: Yeah, magnificent upwards of ten miles a year.
Speaker 7: Yes, yep, all right, well that is it for us today on it could happen here, James things. Do you want to talk about the tip point again?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah, So everybody, we have an email where you can reach out to us if you have things that you think we should be reporting on. It is a proton mail. That doesn't mean that it's super secure. It simply means it's sent to end encrypted. If you send from a proton address. The email address is cool Zone tips at proton dot me me. You can send story ideas, things that you think we should be reporting on, things that you've seen that you think you'd like to.
Speaker 5: Draw to our attention to that email address. We will try our best to get through all of those. We've been getting a lot of tips.
Speaker 6: Please don't take a personallybe don't get back to you, but we do appreciate you or reaching out.
Speaker 5: We reported the next.
Speaker 2: Hey, We'll be back Monday with more episodes every week from now until the heat death of the Universe.
Speaker 3: It Could Happen Here is a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website cool Zonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts.
Speaker 12: Wherever you listen to podcasts, you can now find sources for it Could Happen Here, listed directly in episode descriptions.
Speaker 5: Thanks for listening.