Speaker 1: Hey, that've hopes it is Friday, April seventeenth. Then who said it better, Pete Hecseth or Samuel L.
Speaker 2: Jackson.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the most fun episode of Amy and TJ. You will ever ever, hear rogues, you cannot make this stuff up. Pete Hecseth is saying a prayer and he's actually just quoting pulp fiction.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you have been very excited about this.
Speaker 4: I am because this, this, I guess, is a story that tickled you, is the best way to put it.
Speaker 2: You fold be amusing? Ros are you this is wildly amusing? Are you kidding me?
Speaker 1: Pete Hecseth got up in front of a crowd and said, this is a prayer that has been recited by our soldiers, by our warriors out there, and he quotes Samuel L.
Speaker 2: Jackson.
Speaker 4: Let me ask you, this, is it possible that soldiers this search and rescue, these combat mission teams. Maybe they use this prayer because they love PAULP. Fiction and they think it's fun to have this. Maybe mix of some parts Bible.
Speaker 3: Some parts Hollywood. I don't know. Maybe that is something that they pray to.
Speaker 1: We are That makes perfect sense to me. Yeah, it just wasn't build that way, and it makes it look like he was unaware.
Speaker 2: Is that not right?
Speaker 3: This?
Speaker 2: Is this just a bad look.
Speaker 4: It's a bad look because he basically said it was biblical in nature. He referenced Ezekiel, yes I believe, and didn't say also depicted in paulp.
Speaker 2: Fiction.
Speaker 3: He could have had some fun with it.
Speaker 4: He could have leaned into this prayer that the men and women in the arm services use because they love Paul fiction and they love a little little Bible verse kind of blended and look a little mashup.
Speaker 1: That line from Samuel l is badass. You should use it when you're going into a vite. It's awesome, It really really is. And it was written by Quentin Tarantino or somebody is where the line came from. This story was it was obviously it was trending all day yesterday and a lot of people just wanting to attack and to make fun of. I didn't want to make fun of. I don't want to poke fun. But it still is kind of funny. If he wasn't aware, we did hear from the Pentagon. We'll explain. But the backstory here, yes, Pete hegseth at a prayer, uh what they call these prayer meetings that they have weekly.
Speaker 3: See these prayer services, Yes.
Speaker 1: Press service at the Pentagon. He was at one this week and recited a prayer that he said was given to him by some of the service members who were a part of the mission to rescue the two downed airmen in Iran. Now, Robes, you hear that, I sit up in my chair.
Speaker 3: I'm like, wow, I want to listen to this.
Speaker 2: These are the words they spoke to each other.
Speaker 1: This is it goes out on the radio to several different pilots and crews in different planes.
Speaker 2: That I was on the edge of my seat, and.
Speaker 4: Then all of a sudden, you started listening to our Secretary of Defense, and you thought, where have I heard this before? And I know you know your movies, and I know you love such and I know you love some Samuel L.
Speaker 3: Jackson.
Speaker 1: I said, wait a second. It was clear, it was obvious. You don't have to stop and think. It wasn't just one line. It was almost an entire speech if you will, that Samuel L. Jackson gave before he shot a guy. Repeatedly and a lot of people will remember that scene from pulp fiction.
Speaker 2: This was the setup.
Speaker 1: Hex Seth, in front of a crowd standing on the stage audience listening in, said I am going to tell you a prayer that was given to me by CSAAR planner. Now CSAR stands for Combat Search and Rescue, but he said CSAAR, not CSAR, right.
Speaker 3: I think he said CSAR.
Speaker 1: All right, So the prayer is called he said, Robes CSAR twenty five seventeen.
Speaker 2: And there's a reason.
Speaker 3: It's called that, Yes, he said.
Speaker 4: It is based off of Ezekiel twenty five seventeen from the Bible, which.
Speaker 3: Is a fairly short.
Speaker 4: When you look and see what Pete Hexeth said versus what's actually in Ezekiel twenty five to seventeen.
Speaker 3: There's what one line maybe that is the same.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because even in the.
Speaker 1: Even in the movie in pulp fiction, this scene a lot of people is one of the early opening scenes. The guy that had the burger, the kahunaberger, the guy that group of guys he took a sip of his tasty beverage to watch this down. Yeah, that whole scene.
Speaker 2: Samu L.
Speaker 1: Jackson says it himself, This reminds me of something Ezekiel twenty five seventeen. He actually says it, and then he goes into this long thing. If you don't know the Bible or know that verse Robes, you would assume he's reciting every single line from the Bible verse. If you're watching the movie, that is what it comes off as butt Robes. As you said, the verse is actually really short.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just one line.
Speaker 4: This is Ezekiel twenty five to seventeen from the Bible. And I will execute great vengeance upon them with furious rebukes. And they shall know that I am the Lord when I shall lay my vengeance upon them.
Speaker 1: That's it, very short, but Samuel L. Jackson gave a much longer version. Now what we're gonna let you hear now are the two versions Robes. We have the audio side by side, and we're gonna play them piece by piece and let you compare rose. There is no argument to be made. There is no question. They're not just similar. They are almost exactly the same line for line.
Speaker 4: Yeah, nearly identical is how it's being spoken of.
Speaker 1: So the first one will let you hear. You know what we're gonna do, Samuel L. And a lot of people will immediately recognize this, But we're gonna play them for you. The clips. You'll hear Samuel L. Jackson, and you'll hear Pete Hexa. But this is Samuel L. From pulp fiction.
Speaker 5: The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.
Speaker 6: And mister Hexseth, the path of the downed aviator is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.
Speaker 2: Okay, Robes, those sound familiar to you.
Speaker 3: Just Airmen was switched out.
Speaker 1: So not exactly the same as what you're saying. One word, Okay, let's keep going here. Mister Samuel, blessed is.
Speaker 5: He who, in the name of charity and good will shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness.
Speaker 6: Blessed is he who, in the name of camaraderie and duty, shepherd the loss through the valley of darkness.
Speaker 2: What do you think ros identical?
Speaker 3: And that is not from the Bible, That is from pulp fiction.
Speaker 2: It is not not a word you've heard so far. He is in the Bible. Okay, let's continue, mister Samuel L. He's only halfway through it.
Speaker 5: Well, he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children, mister Hexath, For.
Speaker 6: He is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children.
Speaker 2: Okay, how are we doing?
Speaker 1: Hero ding ding ding ding?
Speaker 2: Okay, it's the exact thing.
Speaker 5: And I will strike down upon THEE with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers.
Speaker 6: And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to capture and destroy my brother.
Speaker 2: And you well know my name is the Law, and.
Speaker 6: You will know my call sign is Sandy one.
Speaker 2: Okay you see the difference there.
Speaker 3: Yes, So it's basically Samuel L.
Speaker 4: Jackson's speech potentially written by Quentin Tarantino with a little sprinkle of a few words that you can find in Ezekiel in the Bible.
Speaker 3: And all Pete.
Speaker 4: Haggsa did was just switch out so that it was specific to the search and Rescue team.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, don't get me wrong, it's still legit. The words work, the message works, and this is how they wrap it up Robes. Obviously, at the end, Samuel L. Jackson kills the guy Pete Hexath in his a little differently.
Speaker 5: Would I lay my vengeance upon thee?
Speaker 6: When I lay my vengeance upon thee? And Amen?
Speaker 4: I thought there was going to be a thunderous applause or something versus the gunfire. That would have been fun to have that echo, gunfire versus applause.
Speaker 2: A movie? How old is that movie? Thirty years now?
Speaker 1: Robes a movie twenty thirty years ago? Quentin Tarantino's words are going into battle in the war in Iran?
Speaker 2: And did we know it ahead of time? Did they know?
Speaker 1: Did he know he was standing on stage reciting words from Samuel L. Jackson and not words from the Bible? I don't think so, you don't.
Speaker 4: I think he knew he was reciting a prayer that was repeated by the men and women of the armed forces. But I don't know that he recognized or realized it. Certainly didn't seem like he did that that prayer was based on paulp fiction, not on the Bible.
Speaker 1: Does it matter? Did he need to? Does he have to? Is it a bad look? Is it just a we'll forget about this. Don't get me wrong. It's not the end of the world. But it's just one of those things.
Speaker 2: That you.
Speaker 1: How could you not know or recognize that this is not a heavy criticism. A lot of people are making fun of them.
Speaker 3: And that's the thing. That's the last thing.
Speaker 4: Pete Hegsaith, the War Secretary would like to be in that position where people are making fun of him, saying he's stupid, saying he didn't know any better, saying he should have known better.
Speaker 3: It's a shot at his.
Speaker 4: Credibility and it gets him right where probably it hurts the most.
Speaker 1: Yeah, humiliation, right, But folks, they do have a response to this. The Pentagon did actually have a response to all the folks were talking about. And again this was everywhere yesterday, but the Pentagon did put out a response. We will let you hear it word for word. Rotes, how would you describe it? Unsurprising, typical or it was heavy on detail? And we understand now.
Speaker 3: I do think it was kind of like yeah, like of course he knew that.
Speaker 2: I mean, duh, Okay, that's how it came to you. Okay, we'll let you hear it word for word.
Speaker 1: Also, Pete Hexth was making headlines yesterday as well for once again comparing President Trump to Jesus.
Speaker 2: We'll explain it there.
Speaker 1: All right, we continue here on this Friday morning, Amy TJ. This is just a blast, ain't it? Good Old Quentin Tarantino writing right in Prayers for the US Military that to be used thirty years from now.
Speaker 3: It's fairly surreal.
Speaker 4: And I do love how you were able to kind of single out line by line because it's undeniable, he was quoting.
Speaker 3: Of course, pulp fiction.
Speaker 2: It's complete, Isn't that a thing?
Speaker 1: Doesn't it make sense that maybe some service members were out there and they just they liked the movie. They think it's cool, and they started using it, and maybe some people to this point don't even realize the origins.
Speaker 4: Of it, right, because the way it's written, it does sound biblical. It's not something you would immediately question. That doesn't sound like that came from Ezekiel twenty five seventeen. It sounds exactly like it came from an Old Testament.
Speaker 2: Scripture, So it means it was well written.
Speaker 3: Exactly, that's true.
Speaker 1: I hear Tarantino's good what year I'm trying to confirm the year of pulp fiction was nineteen ninety four?
Speaker 2: Holy hell? How many years is that? Baby?
Speaker 3: Thirty two?
Speaker 1: Thirty two years ago thirty two years ago, he wrote something, look, Rose, we think about it for a second. Here thirty two years ago. A lot of these members of the military, they're involved in this fight. They weren't around when this movie was out there. Maybe it's not popular among them. Maybe they don't know. Maybe they somebody picked this up and it started being passed along through the years. The members of the military and folks don't even realize where it came from.
Speaker 3: I think that's very possible. That's entirely possible because it works.
Speaker 1: It sounds badass. You will know when I lay my vent. I mean, they should let the Samuel l record it. They should just play it on all missions.
Speaker 3: That would be fun. I think that would be fun.
Speaker 1: The Pentagon did have something to say about this the way you put it, Rose was Yeah, of course it does kind of wreak of that tone a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yes, here is what the Pentagon put out.
Speaker 4: Secretary Hegseth on Wednesday shared a custom prayer referenced as the Caesar Scar prayer used by the Brave Warfighters of Sandy One, who led the daylight rescue mission of Dude forty four Alpha out of Iran, which was obviously inspired by dialogue in pulp fiction. However, both the Cesar Prayer and the dialogue in pulp Fiction were reflections of the verse Ezekiel twenty five to seventeen. As Secretary Hegseeth clearly said in his remarks at the prayer service, anyone saying the Secretary misquoted Ezekiel twenty five seventeen is pedling fake news and ignorant of reality.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry. I copied and pasted this and I didn't read through it enough. This is nuts. Come on, it's okay, fault you think that, not ours, It's okay fake we're peddling fake news. First, nobody's saying you misquoted. He quoted perfectly pulp fiction, perfect nailed it, no qualms. He's taking issue with something that isn't an issue to say anybody saying that it's the same thing.
Speaker 2: This is not a big deal. He used a quote from a movie. They use it, So what why do you have to make now? This is upset. I was in a different mood when we start.
Speaker 4: Well, because clearly, if he had always known he could laugh and say obviously, you know, he could have just had some fun with it. The fact that they're getting angry and pointing the fingers at the press.
Speaker 3: Touched a nerve.
Speaker 4: We triggered him by making it seem as though he didn't know what he was saying. And the second you make someone who feels very powerful and in control and in charge, wow, they don't know what they're doing or saying you touch a nerve, And that response to me says he's upset instead of if he really did know it the whole time, he could laugh with everyone and say, I know, ain't it crazy?
Speaker 3: Quoted pulp fiction?
Speaker 2: You nailed it. That is it.
Speaker 1: We can't make it a mission that maybe I was unaware of something, or that I was wrong or I was uninformed. You can't make an admission. So you put this out. The first line got as soon as you started reading, I said, wait, wait a minute. He shared a custom prayer. He shared a line from pulp fiction. That's okay, he shared a custom prayer. Is he really trying to get away with saying it's custom because we put sandy one in there instead of whatever Samuel El.
Speaker 2: Said, Robes, come, why I do this?
Speaker 3: Yep? Exactly to say face That's.
Speaker 1: Why both the prayer and the dialogue in pulp fiction were reflections of the verse. No, the prayer is a reflection of the pulpe fiction line, which is an extension.
Speaker 2: Of the verse.
Speaker 1: Robes, why do they treat us like this? Like we're stupid? Okay, I was having fun. I said, it's gonna be fun. And now I've just this wasn't the only thing that's been a lot this week, Robes, of course, with the Pope and Trump the Pope and him being depicted as a doctor who was playing Jesus. Sure, okay, whatever that whole thing. But I asked you when you came home yesterday. You were out and about. I was watching stuff. I say, out and about, like you run the streets. You had something you had to do yesterday, you had obligations of profession.
Speaker 3: I was out and about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it wasn't that sorry, I mean, I mean, it sounds like you up to something. But you came back and I asked you that, sweetheart, can you explain to me easily, right off the top of your head, you know what pharisees, you know what that means to who that is?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I went back to my Catholic school days and I said, I believe that that is the group of religious leaders who basically judged and persecuted Jesus Christ and led to his execution.
Speaker 1: Yes, and so you nailed that was one hundred percent right. So the Pharisees came up during Peak Hexcess Pentagon briefing yesterday and he compared Robes the media to the Pharisees. And he was telling the story about him being in church on Sunday with his family, and the preacher was talking about Mark chapter three, and they tell the story that Jesus went into a synagogue. He went there to heal. He was asking can I do this on the the Sabbath? He was asking if he was doing things right and to make sure he wasn't violating law, because these Pharisees had shown up to try to catch him doing something he wasn't supposed to do right. So this is what Pete Haig Saith starts to deliver, and we're gonna have to read through it all road. With this start there, I just can't help. But but he goes through and makes a comparison calling the media the Pharisees, which would imply that we are keeping an eye on Jesus.
Speaker 4: Here is what hags Seth said as I just can't help but notice the endless stream of garbage, the relentlessly negative coverage. You cannot resist pedling despite the historic and important success of this effort and the success of our troops.
Speaker 3: Sometimes it's hard to.
Speaker 4: Figure out what side some of you are actually on. It's incredibly unpatriotic.
Speaker 2: That's tough, fac But they're always after the press for the coverage.
Speaker 4: For being critical unders of the administration. That's on patriotic. No, that's exactly what America is on.
Speaker 1: Patriotic is a tough one to label the press as Yes.
Speaker 4: He goes on though, and says the Pharisees, the so called and self appointed elites of their time. They were there to witness, to write everything down, to report, but their hearts were hardened. But even though they witnessed a literal miracle, it didn't matter. They were only there to explain away the goodness in pursuit of their agenda. As the passage ends, the Pharisees went out and immediately held counsel against him. I sat there in church, and I thought, our press are just like these Pharisees. Not all of you, not all of you, But the legacy trumpeting press your politically motivated animis for President Trump nearly completely blinds you from the brilliance of our American warriors. The Pharisees scrutinized every good act in order to find a violation, only looking for the negative. The hardened hearts of our press are calibrated only to impune. I would ask you to open your eyes to the goodness, the historic success of our troops, the courage of this press.
Speaker 2: The press should open its eyes to the courage of President Trump.
Speaker 1: Robs. The other thing was funny. This one is is not if this is what they believe, and that's it's fine.
Speaker 2: They can believe what they believe.
Speaker 1: But Robes, he is once again, and I don't know why this connection, why this imagery, why this they constantly want to do this. He flat out made a direct comparison to the press being pharisees, comparing them to the Pharisees who try to destroy.
Speaker 2: And kill Jesus. That's what the media is, that's what he compared us all to.
Speaker 1: And given the week that we've had with all this going hell since Easter, really with the religious back and forth with the president, this was just another one another incident.
Speaker 4: Well, this explains the constant behavior that we've seen from the administration towards the press, And if that is what fair belief is, then it makes sense all the actions that they have taken, including making the press who wants to actually report from the Pentagon Pentagon sign a of basically an official oath that no reporting would be done without the blessing of the Pentagon or Pete Hegsath.
Speaker 3: I mean, that is absurd. That is not journalism.
Speaker 4: So it's like they want to have people who are state run media only and then and only then would they actually be patriotic.
Speaker 1: And the rest of you are pharisees, just like the ones who tried to take down Jesus. It's been a week, Robes, it's been a week. Would an update you on this one? It was one. Look, the Samuel Jackson stuff was funny. And to be honest, do you even care? I mean, I say care in that? Are you that bothered? If you told me he used it from pulp fiction? I would have said, okay, yeah, I love that line. And going on.
Speaker 4: He actually could have laughed it off. He doesn't want to be seen as someone who doesn't know his Bible. I think that's another thing tooo.
Speaker 2: I didn't forget that.
Speaker 4: And so for him not to know that that wasn't a actual Biblical verse would be embarrassing to him because he's leading prayer services.
Speaker 2: Bathe. All they had to do was look it up.
Speaker 1: You're about to go out there and make the speech, and you didn't even look up Ezekiel twenty five to seventeen.
Speaker 3: Ah, he's busy.
Speaker 1: Maybe you've made That's another good point, Robes. He doesn't know the Bible. He doesn't know the difference between a Bible and an Oscar winning actor or director's writing.
Speaker 2: Samuel L. Jackson is in the middle of this, wonder what he thinks about it.
Speaker 1: All right, folks, well we told you this is gonna be a fun and we appreciate you, as always spending some time with us. We do have the morning run coming up on the feed here in just a bit this episode before this one on the feed, Rose remind me, yeah, David, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Singer David arrested.
Speaker 4: The news we've been waiting for for seven months, kept thinking it was gonna comedy day now, and.
Speaker 3: Then shockingly it dropped. Last night.
Speaker 4: LA police arresting singer David for the murder of fourteen year old Celestrivus Fernandez.
Speaker 1: So we have a full recap of what happened with that arrest and that case in particular, that's on the feed right before this one. But we always appreciate you just been explained with us on TJ on behalf of my Dear Ammy Robot.
Speaker 2: Talk soon m