Speaker 1: Strap on the boots and scrape up the knuckles ahead. He got jacked.
Speaker 2: This is the Big Red Ray presented by santan Ford in Gilbert.
Speaker 3: Mary's gonna score touchdown Slim to the ground by Buddha Baker Like a torpedo.
Speaker 4: He came flying into the back field.
Speaker 2: The Rage is brought to you by santan Ford in Gilbert. Are you santan Ford State Farm? Talk to an agent today at eight hundred State Farm? Hand by Arizona Cardinals Podcasts, Visit Hazycardinals dot Com, Slash podcasts.
Speaker 5: All red scens, rising Up, jumperturizing vision, Flurry Rage, take you over.
Speaker 6: Here's Paul Calvic. I'm ready. I'm one hundred percent ready.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you ab ready, and Ron Wolflee.
Speaker 1: It doesn't get any better than that.
Speaker 5: Unleash the fjord.
Speaker 6: It's Thursday night Football Times three, an NFL doubleheader, and this twas the night before preseason opener edition of the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford in Gilbert. We are santan Ford, specifically Paul Kelvic, Ron Wolfley, and soon to be joined by Pat Elfline Cardinals Veteran Center. Because come on, everybody, wants to be an offensive lineman, right, I mean who doesn't want to be an offensive lineman?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well you know what, certainly not Pat Elflined, because I can tell you, PAULI right now, he reminds me so much just looking at him of Jean Jean the coke machine, Gene Chilton. Right, go ahead and google that one, PAULI remember the name. Not exactly sure what the comparison is. Two big dudes who played center, I mean thick guys who played center. Very interesting.
Speaker 6: Well, I need to get personally, I need to get to the bottom of the whole cram the ball, vertical mantra and otto. I love that, Jonathan Gannon. So we got to ask the guy who's gonna be apping the ball and who loves to come off the ball like all offensive linemen do. So that is straight ahead on this edition of the Big Red Rage. Okay, here's the thing. Well, the last padded practice leading into this preseason opener against Denver Friday night at home, Gramma Calvc. When I was a little kid, she'd be making the sauce in the kitchen. Right.
Speaker 7: Okay, Well, I used.
Speaker 6: To ask her, Graham, how do you know when the spaghetti sauce is ready. Yeah, you just know, you just know young and you know you just when you were at that last padded practice and we had three mini skirmishes that almost led to three brawls. Yeah, you just knew the time is right to finally hit someone in another uniform.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely, Paully. I don't know about you right now, but I am so jacked up for tomorrow night and what might happen tomorrow night, not not particularly who's going to play Poulli's. Curiously, I know there's a lot of people out there that really care for a lot of that stuff. For me, it's nothing to do with the who it the how it is? Literally, what kind of schemes are you going to run? Right? What kind of personnel groups are you going to run out onto the field? How many times Paul KELBC, will that quarterback actually walk up under center and take a snap? What kind of plays are you going to run? Protections that you're gonna use? I cannot wait to see this because I expect to see it all tomorrow night. That's the one thing about JG. I expect to see it all.
Speaker 6: Okay, that's interesting because there are two ways to go if you're a brand new team, brand new staff with a team exactly right two ways twenty nineteen. What did we see Absolutely nothing from Cliff Kingsbury right, no way to the point where it was a detriment in that first half against the Detroit Lions. Remember is Gallos humor the week after I thought I was gonna get fired at halftime. Yes, because they kept everything under wraps to the point where they didn't get enough work in their own offense.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 6: And when they came out against Matt Patricia and that Lions team that you know, so what they wondered for the whole month, what's coming? Well, guess what. The Cardinals were their own worst enemy by keeping it under wraps and not repping it.
Speaker 1: Absolutely Paully And this is the beautiful thing about what we've seen so far in training camp right now. We have seen a lot of the quarterback under center. We have seen a lot of power personnel groups. We've seen twenty two personnel, two backs, two tight ends. Believe it or not, we've actually seen that. Not a lot of it, of course, but we've seen a lot of twelve personnel, one back, two tight ends. We've seen a lot of thirteen personnel, one back, three tight ends. We've seen those power personnel groups, and we've seen power schemes, blocking schemes being run, zone schemes, of course being run. We have seen the gamut so far. And this is what is fascinating to me. When you put a quarterback under center, Paul, everyone knows what you're gonna do. There's only two things you can really do. You can run the ball, of course, and you can act like you're going to run the ball in run down situation, first in ten second, in one to sixth and then you're gonna throw the ball using play action. The problem is can you stop it? The problem is if that offense executes very very well in terms of running a play action pass or actually running the ball, can you stop it. That's the question it always has been.
Speaker 6: And that's the other option. You show everything, And based on what we've seen in camp, they've run the spread with five wide, they've run thirteen personnel everything. So I'm guessing we're going to see a little bit of everything tomorrow night. Now ask for who we see, that's still a question mark. Although Jonathan Ganna did share with the media that he does expect Colt McCoy to get snaps. So if your starting quarterback is going, what does that mean about some of the other personnel. I said it yesterday, I'll say it again. I would not play James Connor. I think he looks regular season ready. There's too many injuries behind him already in the running back room. That's just me. Does boot A Baker really need pre season games? He ended last season with an injury. I don't know if you want to be extra cautious there to start this season once.
Speaker 1: Again, though, Polly, you know you've got a brand new scheme in a brand new system. True, Is it really gonna hurt James Connor if he gets three raps out there? Was it really gonna hurt Buddha Baker if he goes out there in the first series and actually makes three calls maybe in the second area, and goes on just wrap something very basically listen, I understand, Mike get hurt those three plays. Wolf might actually listen. Football players play the game, and so it is going to be very interesting to see which way he goes tomorrow night.
Speaker 6: Sean Payton, for what it's worth, has already told the Denver media his starters are going fifteen to eighteen snaps.
Speaker 1: That's amazing.
Speaker 6: Russell Wilson included. So when you look at this Broncos game, the preseason opener, if you're the head coach of the Cardinals, Jonathan Gannon, he was asked, all right, what are your goals in this debut?
Speaker 8: I want our guys go out and compete. And then really just from an organizational standpoint, like, hey, you know, does everyone understand exactly their role on game day and how their roles fit into us winning and losing games? And we have to execute those things. And I'm sure there'll be some bumps in the road, but everybody that's a part of game day impacts game day, So I think it's clearly defined for everybody.
Speaker 1: Boy, what did you make of that Paul right there where he was actually saying, because it almost sounded like he was talking about the players first, and then maybe even the coaching staff after that. Does everyone understand what your role is and what your responsibility is on game day?
Speaker 7: Well?
Speaker 6: Very interesting, even the very top of the coaching staff. A brand new offensive coordinator calling place for the first time, Yes, brand new defensive coordinator calling a defense for the first time. You have rookies that you're seemingly going to count on, guys like Michael Wilson, who had the wherewithal to tell our Darren Urban Easycardinals dot Com that you can do great in practice, but you are measured and judged off how you perform in a game. Quote end quote. Nothing has been more true in the NFL. Yes, you are measured and judged by what you do in these games. Are you a difference maker? Are you a playmaker?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 6: I asked Dennis Gardek yesterday in the locker room. I said to him, I said to him, Look, what are the rookies about to find out that you already know that all the veterans already know. They said, you know what it can get. It can get pretty amped up in practice, but there's nothing like game speed. All the players figure out a different gear when it comes game time. So, yes, that's going to bring some pressure for these young guys, There's no doubt about it. In fact, the rookie head coach was asked if he feels pressure.
Speaker 8: You I got this one from one of the team doctors. I thought it was awesome. You know, people say, hey, you feel any pressure you know, and you can take that all different ways how you interpret that. But I thought he said it best pressure is of privilege, So I kind of thought that was pretty cool, and we talked to our guys about that. But no, I'll be in the moment. I'll be excited, and but I got a function on game day to give it us a chance to win. So I got a lock in and do my job.
Speaker 6: Well, what do you think his powerpole is of things he wants to see? For me, It's got to be the cornerback room, It's got to be D line.
Speaker 1: D line, definitely offensive line as well running the football. Are you having any type of success running the football? Attacking the line of scrimmage? That is going to be an integral piece to the puzzle for the Arizona Cardinals on offense. That's what I'd be looking at, number one, attacking the line of scrimmage and are we capable of doing that?
Speaker 6: I'd also say getting to the quarterback. Are your edge guys winning one on one battles? Yeah? Because I'm guessing Nick Rowls isn't gonna be dialing up a lot of complicated blitz schemes. He just wants to get a sense. Can his defensive front win one on one battles. Can his Zavi and Collins truly use all that potential? You know, how ready is he to be starting outside linebacker for example?
Speaker 1: That's something I'm going to be looking at as well, because so much of that is scheme. What do the Arizona Cardinals do schematically?
Speaker 7: Paul?
Speaker 1: How much cover three? Are they really going to play? Three deep zone four underneath rush four? Right? That's very popular or across the National Football League at this point in time. And you need raps. You need to get this stuff on tape offensively, defensively, and in transition, Paul, you need teaching tape. It's critical.
Speaker 6: Here's the other thing you can only get in a game these days in twenty twenty three. Tackling. You don't tackle to the ground in any practice during a training camp these days. So which running backs can break tackles?
Speaker 1: We're not talking about practice, man, man, we're talking about it, Gay, We're.
Speaker 6: Talking about DB's tackling in the open field. Okay, they need practice. Can they do it? Are they willing to do it? Put their nose in there?
Speaker 1: Hey?
Speaker 6: Single game tickets on sale now. Go Toazycardinals dot com. Slash buy tickets to secure your seats today again Cardinal Center, Pat Elfline joining us a little bit later when we come back this offense, what's going to look like? What did Hollywood Brown revealed the media as to what it might look like?
Speaker 7: That is next.
Speaker 6: It is a big red rage presented by Santan Ford in Gilbert.
Speaker 4: Murray looking fires right side and it's caught in the end zone a touchdown.
Speaker 6: Greg Dorche had his.
Speaker 1: Big time from Dorche and.
Speaker 4: Kylo snap to Murray, quick throw a left side, It's caught and the one into.
Speaker 3: The end zone for the touchdown is Greg dort Into.
Speaker 9: Greg Dortch's across the forty to the forty five, fifty into Tampa territory. Inside the forty five spinning his way to the forty two yard line. Greg Dorch with more energy right now than the entire Tampa defense.
Speaker 4: There's a big chunk run cast the left pot by dorts burst out of the fifty barside forty thirty five thirty cuts.
Speaker 3: Back to the rank twenty five twenty Georch Dontice being fifteen.
Speaker 1: This is the one thing that is undeniable about Greg Dorch. Every time he gets the opportunity to play. He makes place.
Speaker 6: As a players say facts, He's making place every single day at camp.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Now he still might be the fifth or even sixth receiver on this roster. I just wonder how long before that changes, before he gets serious traction on a depth chart, because when he got opportunities last year, Ron Wolfy, Greg Dortch was a playmaker, he was a difference maker. Welcome back into the big Red Rach Paul kelvc ron Wolfly pat elf line right around the corner Cardinals center. But Greg Dortch picked up this offseason and this camp right where he left off last season, did he not?
Speaker 1: Yeah? He did, Paully, no doubt about it. That's why the personnel groups are going to be very interesting to watch. I imagine the Arizona Cardinals are going to use a lot of eleven personnel, one back, one tight end, three wide receivers. Will he be one of those three wide receivers in that? Because I see a hard road for him if in fact, he's trying to crack the twelve personnel group, which I expect to see an awful lot in rundown situation for the Arizona Cardinals. One back, two tight ends, two wide receivers. Those two wide receivers could be Mike Wilson of course, and Hollywood Brown, those two guys, and that's why it might be tough to get a lot of those reps.
Speaker 6: In the last two years, Rondelle Moore has been ahead of Greg Dortch playing the same position, so it almost went one or the other. When Rondell Moore was healthy, Greg Dortsch basically got zero reps, but Rondale Moore missed nine games last year. Yeah, gave Dorsch a lot of opportunity to make some plays and compile some stats.
Speaker 1: Yes, the best ability is availability.
Speaker 6: And to your point about tight ends, we've already heard the numbers from Kyle Vannenbosch. He did the homework, he drilled down the analytics and Drew Patzen. He comes from a Cleveland offense. It was top three and twelve personnel and number one and thirteen personnel. So there will be tight ends as soon as they get healthy. There will be tight ends out on that field. There's also going to be the same cram the ball vertical from the head coach Jonathan Gannon. You know they're gonna run it, and it's been a process, because, as zach Ertz told you in the offseason, this scheme couldn't be any more different quote unquote than the previous scheme. Here's the new offensive coreditator Drew Petscen just on the players and the learning curve.
Speaker 10: I think these guys have really embraced that challenge, certainly the language, the understanding of what we're asking them to do, the technique that goes along with that, and then in terms of the evolution of the offense I think my understanding of who we have out there has improved, so trying to start tailoring it to the guys that we think, are you better or have a little bit more ability to make plays, that's where the offense has to go. And I've certainly tried to embrace that here as we've gone through camp.
Speaker 1: See that is going to be really interesting to watch right there, Paul, because of that very thing, you got to tailor it to the talent that you actually have. You can't be dogmatic to a point where you're out there, well, we're going to go three tight ends, that's what we're going to do. But if you really don't have three tight ends, maybe you don't want to go that route as much as you may have done in Cleveland. So it's really one of these deals where listening to Drew, he's talking about getting to know the talent that he has and the players that he has and the players they can depend on more importantly, and then we'll get a better feel for where this offense is headed. That's one of the reasons why Tom Night in the first preseason game, in every preseason game that they play, I can't wait to see what they do because they're really not trying to tailor it towards the player now. They're really not doing that. They want to see. These are the schemes we want to run, and by the way, can you execute the schemes that we want to run right now? But that's very telling as well, because you see a little bit into the window of the soul of Drew Petzing.
Speaker 6: What is this saying that him and Jonathan Gannon use adapt or die? Yes, that if you're not multiple, you become predictable, and that is how you die in the NFL, because predictable offense is just way too easy to defend, especially in today's day and age of defensive coordinators, and let's face it, what did we say each of the last three years December and January adjust to the adjustment? Was there enough adjusting by the Cardinals offense the last three years?
Speaker 1: How many times have you heard me say, bully that while playing for the Cleveland Browns, Bill Belichick would just come over after you know, he drives three possessions, maybe even two possessions in the first quarter and say, okay, listen, guys, everything that we practiced all week long, forget about it, this is what we're gonna do. Honestly, Paul, he would do that, and that's the reason why he would go out in the off season and look for smart, tough, discipline football players. That's what he would do because he knew he was gonna do that. In the middle of the first quarter. He knew he was gonna come over and go, Okay, I know we practiced this all week long, forget about it. That's out the window. This is what we're gonna do, and he'd start greasing it up right there on the board. I mean, you've got to be able to adjust, Paul. You have to be fluid.
Speaker 6: So when an Isaiah Simmons or a Jalen Thompson tells the media that the difference with his coaching staff is they feel like they're playing free. And when I went around the locker room and talked to a few veterans about that, they share that, you know what, they're allowed to be decision makers, that there is the scheme, there are the rules, but you're able to react because you never quite know what you're going to encounter, snap to snap, drive to drive. So you're try and equip the players to not only be playmakers to it, to be thinkers out there as well, because you can't give every player every possible potential outcome on every snap.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you want you want players to be free out on the field, there's no doubt about it. But remember poly they must execute their assignment. They have a job to do, and if they don't do it, you're free falling.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it can't become free lancing, is what you're saying. Right, Okay, Okay, no, I went Tom Petty, I went free falling. I get it all right, So you know what that begs for a segue right here? And here's my question because people ask me out this Cardinals offense. Okay, as I hit zoom out and I tell them, you know, what. I think they have enough playmakers. I think they have enough at receiver, especially now as Zach Pascal. They have five very different receivers. I think they have it. Definitely have enough at running back, two time Pro bowler James Conner, who looks at excellent. If they fix the offensive line, if they fix the offensive line, I think they have enough to be a threat on offense.
Speaker 1: That's going to be interesting. Paullly, the offensive line, you and I have talked about this all training camp. Right now, I do believe the offensive line, maybe the pass apart two the key that unlocks all locks for the Arizona Cardinals this year. And the reason being is because again, they've got to be able to run the ball. They've got to be able to protect the quarterback, especially when Kyler Murray is out there playing quarterback. But if you can run the ball, that means you're also probably going to be really good at throwing the ball using play action and protecting your quarterback. If that happens, I think the Arizona Cardinals will score points. To your point about them having enough playmakers, I'm with you on that one.
Speaker 7: Right there.
Speaker 1: It's the offensive line that really holds the key, and that's why there's a couple of training camp battles the left guard position, I would say, and even center I would throw that in there.
Speaker 6: I would agree with that. I mean the known as DJ Humps and Paris Johnson Junior. Those are the bookend tackles. Will Hernandez, the right guard, has looked good in camp. In fact, he got real close to starting a brawl with Kaiser White, so you know he's regular season ready. He was finishing blocks to the echo with the whistle and he looks like he might be about three forty instead of three fitting. Yeah, I'm not going to disagree with that. But when you see the Cardinals on a single team droll eleven on eleven and Pat elf Line who's coming up right around the corner, and John Gains are switching off from guard to center, snap to snap, you realize that they're trying. They're still in big time evaluation mode. Yes, when you see at least three different left guards over the course of a practice, including Calvin Beecham recently, you realize they're trying a whole different array of formulas and how much they value positional versatility as well.
Speaker 1: Let me just say this, absolutely position versatility is huge, right there. JG talks about that all the time, especially on the offensive line. That's what he wants. He says, if you can't move, if you if you're a left tackle and you could just be a left tacker, you better be a good one. You better be a good one. Right If you're a center and that's all you can do, you better be a dog one good one right there. He wants that position versatility.
Speaker 6: Hey, you know a great way till A great way to get ready for the preseason opener tomorrow night at home against Denver seven o'clock game time. By the way, Episode sixty of the Day Pash Podcast features Cardinals new OC Drew petsing great stuff. They get into some real detail about the NFL in twenty twenty three, What scheme the Cardinals are gonna run, what to expect? Just check your preferred podcast provider or via Twitter at pash pot. Pat Elfline is next and Wolf You're intrigued by his Ohio background, I mean Ohio State All American. He's a Remmington Award winner, is a top center, He's got a national championship. Can he bring some of that to the Arizona Cardinals. That is next on the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford in Gilbert.
Speaker 1: The offensive line, they're busting grapes up there coming off the ball, get some movement at the point.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 10: I think that's part of the process being a first year staff is trying to identify your best five and make sure they're out there, but also build that cohesiveness because communication is a huge part of the offensive line, and some of it's verval and some of it's not, and so being able to play next to someone and anticipate their reaction and their communication before it happens is important. So I think the sooner the better. But we're not going to rush it because at the end of the day, if we don't put the best five players out there, we're doing a disservice to our team.
Speaker 6: That's the OC on the O line, and it sounds like it's TBD at least that's what we're being told here at Cardinals camp. We're all on a need to know basis, including you Wolf, even after your ten years and four Pro Bowls, coming out here, you're not funny. Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert. That's why I'm immediately going to outsource it to our guests. Center Pad elf line joining us here and uh, Pat, I'm just gonna ask you one question off the top. We'll get into everything else. But you're fresh off of padded practice. It's a little chippy, all right. I say, the most intense practice of Cardinals camp. How close was it to a brawl out there between the O line and D line, because you guys teetered close a few times. There were a couple of shoving matches. Guys were rooting and tooting a little bit out there.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we're we're in the middle of training camp right now, so we'll we can attest to this that it gets intense, especially in the trenches, but you know, we're really trying to keep the team first, you know, before our individual selves. So yeah, it might get a little chippy, but you know, the guys know that that fighting is not gonna make us better at the moment, but there is you know, we're playing with an edge on both sides of the ball, which is what you want in the trenches.
Speaker 1: Speaking of an edge, I've got to start with this. Pat Pickerington, Ohio, all right, is Pickerington, Ohio edgy at all. What's it like to grow up in Pickerington.
Speaker 7: Yeah, pickering ten is a it's a good place to grow up. I got a little bit of my edge just from from my brothers and my dad. My dad a brick mason, so growing up, you know, he had us on the job site every weekend, every day whenever he needed help. So we kind of learned, you know, how to do some dirty work early and kind of set the tone. And he's still he's sixty two and that dude is still grinding, so he's he's still setting the tone and we're following his uh, you know, following his tone setting.
Speaker 1: So that is incredible right there. I did that work ethic. Did that teach you anything? And did it carry over to the game of football?
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, it just you know, it taught me how to get the job done and get the job done right and and literally whatever it takes until the job's done, and where you're starting at six am and you're ending at eight pm, and it rained all day and you're wet and you're tired, and you're going back the next day. So that's kind of he showed me that when I was at a young age, and still trying to keep up with.
Speaker 1: That shake his hand because I bet you it's callous.
Speaker 7: End is one giant, callous, one giant. It's it's ridiculous. But he's he's a great dude. Yeah, he's he's awesome.
Speaker 6: So check this out. I still remember interviewing Jerry Rice a long time ago, the world's greatest receiver. His dad was a brickmason. He said he developed his hands working with his dad because his dad would drop bricks down to him, and every broken brick was money off the bottom line for the family.
Speaker 7: No doubt. Yeah, you don't want to waste any but you also can't put any bad bricks, you know, on your wall, because then he ain't gonna look good. But yeah, making mortar, sending that stuff up the scaffold, carrying bricks, tearing out concrete, all that stuff. My dad actually references Jerry Rice a lot, just his work ethic. He's like, work like Jerry. You know, he was always doing extra work, Jerry or that's what you know, always doing extra work. So he's like, you know, he'll still reference that today.
Speaker 1: Pat, what is your NFL experience? What has it been like? You're going into year seven, seven. Yeah, you're twenty nine years old. Correct.
Speaker 7: What has it been like so far? It's been a hell of a ride. It's been a ton of fun, very intense, met a bunch of my very best friends, been through a bunch of highs, a bunch of lows, injuries, came back back out there fighting. It's a hell of a time. It's awesome. I love it. Yeah, that's awesome.
Speaker 6: I mean we're talking about a guy who was three times All First Team Big ten right won the Remington Trophy as the best center in college football. By the way, was there any chance you were going anywhere other than Ohio State?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 6: Concerning you grew up outside Columbus h.
Speaker 7: That was always my goal was to go there, but getting recruited and stuff. It kind of a few things had to align for me to actually get that scholarship. It was when coach Tressell actually resigned and we had a bunch of players that pulled out, opened up a bunch of spots, and then Luke Fickle was the interim head coach and he's a four time state champ wrestler. I was a wrestler in high school, so we had a connection there and he gave me a scholarship offer and ended up just falling into place. And then after that I played for Urban for five years. But yeah, I had a great time in college too, staying in my hometown and yeah, all that stuff. It was. It was a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: So talk to me about the wrestling because that's fascinating to me as well. There's been a lot of football players that are also very good wrestlers. What did that teach you and how did that transfer to the game of football.
Speaker 7: Yeah, there's a lot of things that transfer. It's it's a tough sport, so it I think it can help with mental resilience, the work ethic it takes. Yeah, the work ethic it takes to you know, going through those workouts and training and honestly being one on one and taking the wins, taking the losses, bouncing back, and just I think just playing other sports can help with athletic ability, just no matter what it is. You know, it may not transfer directly over to offensive line play, but I think in a good athlete, what helps offensive line play. So yeah, I think it helped a lot. And it's a lot of fun, had a good time, very cool, a lot of fun, Yeah, which training is harder. Pat Elfline is our guest Cardinals Center. Because the wrestlers always say their training regiment is tougher than football, then football.
Speaker 6: Guys always squawk back.
Speaker 7: Man, It's just they're they're both different sports, both both have a they're both very well respected and tough, and there's just a little different. Each one's different.
Speaker 6: So you go mono, we mono and wrestling is that kind of akin to O line D line those drills out there? Talk about the essence of the O line D line drill in a training camp because honestly, at this point it is the highlight of camp here in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's a battle. I mean it's you know, most time you're one on one with that guy and he's trying to get to the quarterback or trying to tackle the carrier and you have to prevent that or you know, take him the other way. So yeah, a lot of times you are one on one and man, it's just a battle you or him. Who's it gonna be. But the good thing is you have about sixty five bouts in a play, you know, so if you win or lose one, you gotta be ready to go right to the next one. Are not going to play in a game, so yeah, you gotta be ready to go the next one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, and everybody's watching too, that's what it's so you know what you're you're there. It's like we're gonna send out our warrior. You send out your warrior, and everyone else is watching you, right, I mean it.
Speaker 6: Just it's gm the head coach. They walked out.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, It's one of the things I absolutely love about the game of football. It is brutal. There is no denying that. Right now, okay, bat, what's your what's your weight at? Right now? Wait?
Speaker 7: It's about three oh five? Three and five?
Speaker 1: Where do you want to be? You look good? You look good? You look yeah, you want to be at three oh five. You want to be happier, lighter.
Speaker 7: Three oh five is a good operating wait for me, that's where I've been for a lot of my career. Three hundred and five. I feel like I can move well and still have some power. But yeah, I like I like that weight. That's a good way for me to perform at.
Speaker 1: Why do you think this offense is a good fit for your your skill set?
Speaker 7: Man? We just have so many weapons on this offense. We can run so many different schemes. Man, it's just it's in Drew. He's very, very smart, So you know the game plan, it'll it will adjust, you know, to attack weaknesses and highlight our players. So there's just a lot of great minds and a lot of great players on this offense.
Speaker 6: They talk about the center being the quarterback of the offensive line. What can you show in a game that you can't show in practice, Meaning I'm guessing your football IQ and your seven years of experience has to shine through to some degree once you get into a game situation.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean I've had a few years playing here in the league. You see patterns kind of reoccurring, and it's i mean, you study so much, go through so much practice that sometimes those patterns are like ingrained in your brain and how you look at a defense when you approach the ball. So sometimes you can just things are tipped off a little quicker, but still you just you got to study and know what teams like to do, what they're trying to do, what we're trying to do, how they're going to stop us of things that go into it. But you know, with just reps over time, you just get a little more comfortable with seeing and reading defenses and rotation and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Okay, pat power scheme or zone scheme. If you had to pick one, what do you love?
Speaker 7: I love them both, man, you like yeah, I like backblocking, I like reaching shades, I like b locking. I like man, yeah, any of them. Man.
Speaker 1: And the great thing about that is Drew pettsing in this offense. They're gonna do bolth.
Speaker 7: Yeah. Yeah, is nice. Yeah, Drew. Uh, he's he's a very smart guy. And he's definitely mixing things around and we're running different schemes and it's it's going really good. I like the way. I like where it's going.
Speaker 6: I believe something has happened in camp with the old line that we've never seen before. Wolf. Okay, okayl false. Have you ever seen the center and the guard switch position snap to snap the same drive, the same huddle. I mean, because you and John Gaines, I'm one snap on the same drive, the same possession, You're playing center, and then the next snap you're playing guard and he's playing center.
Speaker 7: Yep.
Speaker 6: That's unusual, isn't it.
Speaker 7: Yeah? I mean, but uh, I think what Drew was saying we're trying to find the best five, you know, mixing guys around, and when you're in the NFL, especially an interior lineman usually have to be able to play all three, which I think you carry about eight offensive line on game day, so sometimes you know, the backup guard might play center and vice versa. So yeah, we're switching that around and making sure everyone can play everywhere.
Speaker 1: I think I know the answer to this question. But center or guard, which do you prefer?
Speaker 7: Honestly either any way, I can help this team wherever I can help this team at is where I want to where I want to play, whether it's center or guard, just want to go out there.
Speaker 1: There's there's more responsibility at center, though, isn't it in regard to making calls correct?
Speaker 7: Yeah, there is. You got to make sure everyone's on the same page when you're playing center, and if you see and you got to alert the whole line so everyone knows. You got to be vocal, you got you definitely have to be a leader out there when you have the ball in your hand.
Speaker 6: Does you do your responsibilities change at center? Whether it's fourteen year veteran Colt McCoy or a rookie quarterback, meaning is there more on your plate if all of a sudden the rookie is in the game.
Speaker 7: I mean, I think the system is set up to where, you know, we can all operate in the system like pretty efficiently, you know. But yeah, everyone's got to be on this on their stuff. The quarterbacks got to know his stuff, center's got to know and they got to communicate out off the field in meetings and and get that all dialed in on the same page. So when you do go out there on game day, you're all speaking the same language. And that's just part of training camp, learning that, learning the language, how to communicate back and forth. But we spend a lot of time meeting and and doing walkthroughs and practice to where by the time we're playing games, it's it's like clockwork and how we communicate.
Speaker 1: You know, speaking of game day right there, do you have a game day tradition that you always do? Do you have anything how you prepare to get ready for a game? Do you have any habits on game day?
Speaker 7: I'm not too superstitious on game day, just because a lot of things can happen before the game and I don't want that to like really mess with my routine. But I do have a routine to get my body ready. You know, I say, I hit the hit the cold plunge, hit the hot tub, you know, stretch out my ankles up to my hips and you know, kind of get everything activated. And once everything feels ready, then maybe go take a few past sets, a couple of run get offs, and let's go play. But yeah, just making sure the body is ready. Mine's ready.
Speaker 1: And yeah, do you listen to any music before a game? Do you have a tradition of listening?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I listen to music. I listen to all types of stuff. Anything that just makes me feel good, doesn't have to be one type of music. So yeah, anything from country to wrap to.
Speaker 1: Rock and roll, it all covered.
Speaker 7: Got it all covered, listen into all of it.
Speaker 6: So a wolf in his in his in his earlier days, used to ride a Harley. Okay, now, Jim Alma Hunter just did a quick Google search on Pickerington, Ohio. It's known for having the Motorcycle Hall of Fame. Do you ride.
Speaker 7: I don't ride. I've ridden one time in high school. My brother had a bike. But yeah, they they've got that that motorcycle museum there. I've been there one time when I was a younger kid.
Speaker 6: So, by the way, as we come full circle on Ohio State, give us a quick word on Paris Johnson Junior and what you see from the sixth pick overall? What is his upside?
Speaker 7: The guy's a monster. He's got great energy, loves the game. He's strong, he's fast, He's what you want, and you know it's in an offensive tackle. He's a young guy, he's you know, he's he's learning every day, he's asking questions, he's eager to get better. So he's definitely, uh, he's he's a monster.
Speaker 1: Has there been anyone else in that offensive line room that has really caught your intention?
Speaker 7: Man? There's just a bunch of really good dudes in that room from top to bottom, starting with DJ is just a great leader. Kelvin Beecham's the guy who's been around, veteran guy, played a lot of football. Yeah, man, all the way down to you know, Paris the rookie, and John Gaines and everyone in between, really good people were all out there trying to get better.
Speaker 6: Well, you've got no bigger fan of the old line than Ron wolf Leet. He secretly always wanted to be an offensive lineman, forget full battle.
Speaker 1: My older brother Craig played in the NFL for twelve years and was the left guard.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, so you are. Yeah, that's a guy in the family. Man. That's awesome. That's a lot of fun.
Speaker 6: A lot of football still to be played in the preseason, a lot to be decided in the old line. So best of luck, Pat precianks guys, thanks, Yes, there you go, Pat l Flink Cardinals offensive lineman. We continue with a big red rage presented by Santan Ford in Gilbert.
Speaker 4: In the gun, third down and eight from the Arizona ten. Taysom Hill in the slot, right back of the thrown. Dulton looking over the middle, throws back of.
Speaker 6: The end zone and it's picked off.
Speaker 3: And Tonio Hamilton in the back of the end zone with the interception, he takes a knee and the Cardinals get him takeaway.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Tonio Hamilton, what a great break on the ball underneath and and he Dalton read his eyes and was there for the pack.
Speaker 6: Antonio Hamilton will never forget that interception, his first career NFL pick year seven. I won't forget it just being down on the sideline because he immediately went to the stands and he's looking and he's waving and he's motioning, and finally his wife came down to the rail and he gave her the ball because you remember what happened at the end of training camp where he had the tragic cooking accident and suffered near third degree burns on his feet from hot grease that fell off of the stove, and his wife was so instrumental and just getting him back, not only physically, but how much he credited her. So that was a very poignant moment last season for Antonio Hamilton. As we wrap up this edition of The Big Red Rage presented by Santan Ford in Gilbert.
Speaker 1: That's one of those reasons why I root for Antonio Hamilton, Paul, I really do. He's taken the long and right winding road to the National Football League and Antonio Hamilton is a guy that's been through an awful lot and yet here he is. It's interesting the Arizona Cardinals released their depth charts and Antonio Hamilton first team opposite opposite of Marco.
Speaker 6: Wilson, despite basically getting no first team reps. Yeah, during the public portion that we can view, we haven't really seen him run with the one. So I have two theories. Number one, he's a known and they've just been running Christian Matthew and Key Troll Clark with the first team to figure that out. Or number two, Key Troll Clark and Christian Matthew are so closely contested they didn't want to put one over the other, and so they elevated Antonio Hamilton to the interesting. But the day that depth chart came out, he had another pick six in practice and eleven on eleven he picked off Jeff driscoll and was just he gone and sure enough.
Speaker 1: So I just want to say this quickly, Baly, you know, first time head coach and his staff right now, that first depth chart, I'm going to read into that. I'm gonna read into that a little bit. You're gonna try to poke some people, I think, and maybe this is what they're trying to do right here. LJ. Collier was one of the guys. He's on the first team right there at the three down linemen that you're gonna use.
Speaker 4: L J.
Speaker 1: Collier was one of those guys. And maybe they're trying to poke or prod somebody else. I don't know, but I read into a first year head coach in the depth.
Speaker 6: Yard Rashard Lawrence, who's thirty. Yeah, maybe there's my J Sanders third team. Maybe they're trying to send You're absolutely right, and it's no coincidence. I don't think you've been there and done that. But the day the depth chart came out, it was the let's just say, it was a very chippy, edgy practice. I think a lot of guys on the back into that depth chart said I better come out here, swing it. I better come out here and make a statement.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 6: And that cornerback room is closely, hotly contested. In fact, the defensive coordinator Nick Rollis was asked, all right, where does everything stand opposite of Marco Wilson.
Speaker 11: That corner competition is really good right now right and people are going to show when we play against Denver and throughout training camp, you know who's going to emerge and take certain roles right start and roll nickel, spot, backup role, whatever those spots are. You know, get to dime stuff like that. And I don't I want to ever say like, ah, we know what this guy is. Let's know, it's not that everybody can improve certain aspects of their game and as coaches, that's our job is to get everyone to hit their ceiling, whether they've been in the league for a long time or they're a rookie.
Speaker 6: This is where you win the job. I think you can't win the job in practice. You can lose the job in practice if you're a disaster, if you're getting consistently beat. But I think you have to win the job in a game setting, especially if you're a younger guy. You better prove it during these preseason games.
Speaker 1: See that was the magic word right there, younger guy, or words I should say, Yes, younger guy, you've got to prove it, Polly, that's what you've got to do right now. And the only way you can really do that is when the silks go on. Man, tomorrow night, the silks go on, and of course the lights are on, you step in between those white lines and it's go time. Yeah, that's where you want to see younger guys really stake their claim on the depth chart, really stake their claim as to what kind of player they're gonna be, because practice is gonna be practice.
Speaker 7: It just is.
Speaker 1: You're not gonna go one hundred percent. But now when you go live and there's live tackling and there's live blocking and you're trying to beat another man keep him from doing his job. Ah, Matt, it changes everything. And that's what these guys are gonna be watching tomorrow night. You know.
Speaker 6: Kelvic Consulting has come up with two slogans for this season. Number one on twenty twenty three dip for a twenty twenty four rip. Okay, that's one of them, and then there's how you get there. I like that, which is the second one. No allegiances. Bill Belichick has no days off. I think it's no allegiances in one position group we haven't talked a lot about, and really it's my fault. But if you look at inside linebacker kay Zer White, he's the man, he's your MIC. He knows the defense. Okay, But then after that you got Chris Barnes and Josh Woods. Josh Woods is on this team, I think for special teams alone, Lions captain in that category a year ago. But after that, a Zeke Turner versus a draft pick like Owen Papo Yes or even the undrafted ASU kid Kyle Soley, who I know has really impressed so far. Three time ASU team captain. He's fared. Well, you know, there are certain position groups where we might get some surprises.
Speaker 1: You know, that's interesting, Bally, because I see all six of those guys somehow, some white being on this team.
Speaker 6: Wow, special teams.
Speaker 1: Special teams are because of the special teams I do and the practice squad. The practice squad, Paul, I think that's also something that we've got to keep in mind as well right here. But I am really interested to see how often there is another inside linebacker inside that box. I really am, because you know, so much of the time, as we all know Jonathan Gannon when he was a defensive coordinator with the Philadelphia Eagles, a lot of the time they would go solid in the middle. They'd cover the center and the two guards, that's what they would do. They'd cover them with defensive linemen, and then they'd have two edges on the outside. And it's going to be Zavan of course in Gardeck the Barbarian. It's going to be those two guys, and then Kaiser White right in the middle. It's a six man box, that's what it is against eleven personnel. But when are they going to put another linebacker inside that box? Is it going to be against twelve personnel. As soon as they see two tight ends come onto the field, is that what they'll do? I can't wait to see that as well.
Speaker 6: So six man box, five DB's and Nickel with the three safeties and then either a booter or a Jalen Thompson or even Isaiah Simmons could drop down into the box.
Speaker 1: Yes, correct, exactly right.
Speaker 7: Interesting.
Speaker 6: So now on offense, you spent ten years in a running back room, what do you make of the competition behind James Connor? Marlon mack By the way out for the season with a torn achilles That really stinks. He was only on the field less than a week. He really looked good too, but he's done for the season. Just what are you making? How wide open is that competition?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think it's wide open behind James Connor. Of course, Keyante Ingram has not solidified that backup role yet. I love Kiante. I think there's a little something there.
Speaker 7: I do.
Speaker 1: I agree. I'm hoping that he's going to get healthy and he's going to be given the opportunity to nail that down because I really do like what I saw from Corey Clement. Very interesting to see how they're using them not just as a running back, but as a full back. Corey clement When they go twenty two personnel or twenty one personnel, which they have done two backs in the backfield, guess who's playing the full back position. It's Corey clement Now, look, Paul, as we all know right now, metaphorically speaking, he's a dumpster with ears.
Speaker 7: You know what I mean.
Speaker 6: He's twenty.
Speaker 5: He's five taen too, twenty Paul, do you have any idea how thick a dude is when he's five ten two twenty and how easy he can get under Somebody just hammer him right in the chin.
Speaker 1: Uh? Yeah, very interesting to see Corey Clemento, and that if he ever got to five ten two thirty he could play the position.
Speaker 6: Hey, don't sleep on my poly pigskin breakout player at camp by the way, a Mari de Murcato, the TCU rookie undrafted kid. We don't know. We're high at him now all of a sudden, you were low on him. Well, are you high on him again? We'll bet, little bet. We'll see it's been a fluctuating power pole with him. We'll see if he breaks some tackles tomorrow night against the Broncos. Okay special thanks as always, Jim A. Mahro, Cody Fincher, Olie Narini. How about how bout our guest? By the way, Pat al Fine? How about that handshake? Oh my, how about those myths on that guy?
Speaker 1: You gotta love that right there, son of Amazon.
Speaker 6: A single game tickets on sale again, by the way, Azycardinals dot com Slash buy tickets to secure your seats today Cardinals and Broncos tomorrow night from State Farm, STATEU for Ron Wolfeld Paul KELBC. This has been the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford in Gilbert.
Speaker 9: Number one til.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford in Gilbert, are you santan Ford State Farm talk to an agent today at eight hundred State Farm and buy Arizona Cardinals podcasts. Visit Azycardinals dot com slash podcasts. This has been an exclusive presentation of the Arizona Cardinals football but