Speaker 1: Hello Bessie's Hello Sunshine.
Speaker 2: Today on the bright Side, we're talking to writer and professor sc Pirot. She set out on a mission to rediscover joy after a painful chapter in her life. Her journey back to happiness was sparked by an unexpected source, none other than pop icon Harry Styles. Tune in for a story of healing, music and the power of joy.
Speaker 1: It's Monday, March third. I'm Simone Boyce.
Speaker 2: I'm Danielle Robey, and this is the bright Side from Hello Sunshine.
Speaker 1: On my Mind. Monday is brought to you by Laurel Paris. Okay, you know what time it is, Yes, ma'am. What's on your mind today? Simone? Okay? Well, I got to give a shout out to my man, Happy King, Arthur C. Brooks. You know we love him. On the bright Side, so he recently wrote a piece for The Atlantic called The Benefit of Doing Things You're Bad at And as you can imagine, it's all about embracing phil here.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I'm so bad at this?
Speaker 1: Why why are you? Why do you say that?
Speaker 2: I am such I don't even like to use the word perfectionist, but I am. I hate doing things I'm bad at I love being good at things, and I just find it so difficult to do things you're bad at, especially if you don't love them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, so I know this is hard for you because you are good at a lot of things. I'm not, actually, and I know you like to be good at a lot of things. But when is the last time that you felt like you did something that you were bad at? Really out of my depth? Yeah, a few things.
Speaker 2: One I feel really out of my depth in the kitchen, and I feel embarrassed that I'm out of my depth there because I feel like I should.
Speaker 1: Be good at it.
Speaker 2: And also anything that has to do with drawing. When the last time you felt out of your depth?
Speaker 1: Well, it's funny you should ask, because I recently started taking singing lessons and I'm doing it with my friend Liz, and it is so much fun to do it together. And let me tell you, we are so bad. Our first duet to use a word that I know you'll appreciate, Danielle, was cacoffiness. Okay, it was surprisingly know that word. You know this word? Yes, true sacking, But I love this for you. What sparks this? Liz and I have always been like, we don't want to work together because we don't want to ruin our friendship because we've seen so many friendships do that, right, like where you like go you start working with someone and then you know, you start fighting, things get messy, YadA YadA. But we love like trying new things together, and so this year we kind of made this commitment where we're just like, we're we're just going to follow the fun, right, Like there's no stakes here, there's no we're not doing this for any reason or for a job or anything. We're just doing it for fun. And after our first class, we both walked out feeling so empowered. There were so many benefits to it, Like first of all, all that great breath work that you get during singing, true it makes you feel so grounded in your body afterwards. And then there's also just something incredibly freeing about just letting yourself be awful at something and having a great time doing it.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I think this is so fun and I'm so glad you shared this because I think it's inspiring. Yeah, how so, I think it's a domino effect, Like to do things as an adult that you did as a kid is really really sol fulfilling if you can carve out the time for it. I remember after the Olympics this last summer, there was a spike in adult gymnastics sign ups, like for classes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I almost did it.
Speaker 2: I love gymnastics as a kid, and it's like, I just didn't carve out the time. So the fact that you did carve out the time and you're doing it with a friend, I think is so cool.
Speaker 1: Well, honestly, all of this kind of ties right into what Arthur Brooks was saying in that article. I mean, his whole point is that doing something you're bad at can actually make you better at things you're good at. That's the part that I wasn't expecting. So what does he mean. Well, if you're trying to be great at a certain skill, he suggests you should flunk on something else. Like, for example, a recent study of baseball players, they looked at skilled pitchers, people who are typically poor hitters. They were given batting practice, so they were, you know, kind of placed out of their comfort zone and placed into this new area where they where they felt this pressure to excel, and then when they underperformed, scholars found that the frustration that came from that inferior performance actually led them to be more driven to improve their pitching. So it's almost it's almost counterintuitive, but it's like it's circular.
Speaker 2: I wonder what that is though, right, Yeah, that is so strange. I do say, I think I can relate on a surface level. I don't quite understand that study because I'm like, what is being in the outfield have to do with hitting? But if the King Arthur Brooks says it, I believe him. But I do think that if I feel writer's block or a creative block at all, it's the only thing that gets my creative juice is going. Is if I get out of that mode, I have to go for a run or do something totally different, go to the ocean, have a fun day, everything that you think you're not supposed to do.
Speaker 1: Here's my theory. My theory is that failing in one area where there's no stakes for you, there's less pressure that sort of releases that pressure valve around the fear of failure. And then I think releasing that pressure valve and releasing yourself from the fear of failure actually facilitates success in the area that you already excel in does that make sense? That makes total sense?
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 1: Well, I gotta tell you, these singing lessons have brought me so much joy. It's got me thinking about how do I infuse my life with more joy? And when I think about people who know how to do that, well, I think about my friend sc Pro, who is today's guest ess and I met at group therapy camp, which I have spoken about a lot on this show, but I wanted to bring her here on the show and introduce her to you. Guys are besties because she has this wild story about how she found joy after this truly crushing, devastating period of grief. So in twenty twenty two, sc went through this horrible divorce and no matter what kind of coping mechanisms she tried, she just couldn't pull herself out of that darkness.
Speaker 2: And that's where her story takes an unexpected turn. All I'm going to say is that Harry Styles is at the center of it all.
Speaker 1: You're onto something there, Danielle. Her new book, Styles of Joy, lays out this framework that we can all use to find joy. And this is the same path that she used to discover joy after going to seventeen Harry Styles Concerts seventeen. We're going to break this all down for you in the interview. At the end of the day, I don't know that all of us have the means or the time to pack up our lives and go on tour with an artist and go to seventeen concerts. But it's all about just leaning into the unexpected, all right, Chelle. After the break our conversation with Scproro.
Speaker 2: Thanks to our partners at Loriel Paris, because you're worth it. From skincare to hair care and everything in between. Loriel Paris delivers expert back beauty that empowers confidence. Discover your perfect beauty routine at loriel PARISUSA dot com.
Speaker 1: Okay, welcome to the bright Side, sc Proro, Thank you so much for having me, Essie. This has been a long time coming. I was so profoundly moved by this book, and I was just so inspired by your journey to joy. So that's what we're going to get into today. Your new book, Styles of Joy, chronicles this unexpected path to discovering joy after overcoming insurmountable grief. You actually mentioned joy over six hundred and fifty times in this book. Isn't that wild.
Speaker 3: I love that fact.
Speaker 1: But before we get into how you rediscovered joy, we really have to start with how you lost track of it. So will you take us back to twenty twenty two. You described that as the time when your life truly fell apart.
Speaker 4: So I was navigating all of a sudden, so many life changes at once. I think everyone can relate to how disruptive the pandemic was for all of us. And we all were navigating that grief process. And I also stopped practicing big law, and I got out of the wrong marriage, kind of all back to back. And I say to people all the time, anyone that thinks divorce is solely about two people is completely mistaken. You know, I lost an entire family, a whole group of friends, my house, my dog, let alone, my partner.
Speaker 1: The way that you wrote about divorce in your book really illuminated this experience for me because I've never been through it before. But the way that you retell your experience helped me really understand what other people are going through. You write that divorce is inherently lonely. Quote. My therapist told me that even if I spent the rest of my life recounting every single detail, going over every exchange word she still could never and would never fully understand because she hadn't lived it.
Speaker 3: I think it's lonely for so many reasons.
Speaker 4: You know. It's that line that you just said that even if you spind and spin your wheels and try to explain how you got there and how you're feeling now, no one's walking it we you. And I think the especially lonely element of that is that the closest person to this heartbreak is now the furthest person away. The one person that might be able to relate to what you're feeling is offline because of the nature of the situation, and all of a sudden, all these people that I had so unabashedly woven into my life, you know, I lost a bonus mom, a bonus dad, a bonus sister, a bonus brother. I lost my nieces. I was grappling with whether I was still an aunt, you know, and it was so heartbreaking in.
Speaker 3: So many ways.
Speaker 4: And I write in the book that all of a sudden, all these people in my life were on this kind of like mental subcategory of people I cared about called send good vibes, not text messages, you know, suddenly all these people I loved were offline, and that was really difficult to wrap my head around. And you can't move forward unless you know where you are to go, and that's a really lonely road too, And especially because I was navigating a career pivot at the same time. I mean, it was okay, where what are we building? Back brick by brick in This New Life.
Speaker 2: In the book, you talk about some of the things that you did to try to cope. You rite that they weren't really helping. At what point did you realize you needed to make a major shift.
Speaker 3: There were days I tried everything I knew to do. You know.
Speaker 4: I was journaling, doing yoga, walking, talking to my lawyers, crying of friends and family, browsing in the self help section.
Speaker 3: I mean, like you name it, I was. I was throwing it all at the wall.
Speaker 4: I was processing everything I was going through by going on these long walks around the Town Lake Trail in downtown Austin, Texas, which is where I was living at the time. And I remember vividly typing good Energy in on Spotify one day on these long walks because it was like a cry for help to the algorithm. I'm like, can we get some good energy up in here? It is pretty grim, and I tell people all the time, I'm like, and that's the saddest part of the story.
Speaker 3: We are on our way up.
Speaker 1: So everybody listening get ready to go on an adventure, because this is where it really gets fun. You got some help from this unexpected source, a world famous pop star Harry Styles and his latest album, Harry's House.
Speaker 4: Spotify fed me a playlist called Good Energy, and I was like, oh, click, that's exactly what I want. And Harry styles third album, Harry's House, came out two days after I told my ex husband I wanted a divorce. So the new music was sprinkled throughout this Good Energy playlist and that's where the story begins.
Speaker 1: So what was it about that album, that music that really clicked within you? Like, what was it that caused that shift?
Speaker 3: I would like to get a wholehearted shout out to a particular song music for a sushi restaurant.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it's got one in particular.
Speaker 4: I heard that song and I was on one of my long walks and I was like, wait a second, this is this is a tear dryer. This song is a banger, and I all of a sudden, was seeking that song out specifically. Now, music for a Sushi Restaurant is perfectly situated as track one to start the entire Harry's House album. So that's really how this started is I was queueing up that good Vibe one song, and all of a sudden, I was like, Harry Styles. I've never really listened to Harry Styles. You know, I joke I was a little too old for the one direction days. I'm an in sync Backstreet Boys girly and I'm like, Harry Styles, Okay, what else?
Speaker 3: What else does this guy got?
Speaker 4: Then I'm listening to just Harry's House, and I think it's worth mentioning that it might be helpful for anyone going through a breakup or a divorce or anything to find something new. You know, this album, I had no memories attached to it. It was just this fresh kind of new energy in addition to being good energy. And so I'm listening to that album and then I'm like, wait a second, they're two more. It was like an unwrapped Christmas present to find an artist that you loved that I had never paid attention to. And you know, fast forward I I'm really jumping ahead, but I saw his show seventeen times in five countries and travel with strangers I met along the way and had an entire Harry Styles eat Prey love adventure, and that's what inspired the book.
Speaker 1: So I love you and your story so much because on the one hand, you're this You're this like serious person. You're like a serious lawyer and a serious professor at Vanderbilt, and you went through some serious stuff. You got a divorce during the pandemic, and you moved cities, like that's all serious life transition stuff. But on the other hand, this book is deeply unserious. If I'm allowed to say that, you know, like, we're talking about fangirling over a pop star. So where are you at with wrapping your head around that irony?
Speaker 4: I think it's really so exciting to just unabashedly reconcile the two. Where did this narrative come from? That serious lawyers also can't be super fans? Yes, why can't people in academia also love something wholeheartedly? I'm so passionate about exploring this dynamic of the stigma around being a fangirl in general, because I do think it's so gender. You know what's interesting is in the middle of the night one night, I was like, I wonder how many games any NFL team plays per season? Because I was thinking, like, what if someone healed post of Wars, a man healed post divorce by going to every single game of their favorite NFL team. You know what the number is? Seventeen. I started laughing so hard. I was like, it is the exact number of shows I went to. And I was like, that's so wild. But there's such an interesting, I think gender element there. When this book was going under legal review, I got to call one of my former bosses and she's this total powerhouse partner at this big firm and she's just the coolest and she got on the phone with me. I had no idea. She was like the ultimate Madonna superfan. She's like, I've seen her thirty five times. I took two weeks off work to be a showrunner for her Super Bowl halftime performance years ago, and she said, this is the manifesto for people like us who have a passion and get so much flak for it, particularly in a male dominated workplace. Oh, she's going to another Madonna show and she's like, you know, what yeah, I am because I work super hard and this brings me more joy than anything in the world.
Speaker 3: And I'm not sorry.
Speaker 1: You're so right, Like I so relate to this because when I worked in news, I often felt like I had to present a certain way, like I had to be maintain this like straight laced news anchor persona, and if I didn't, then my authority would be in question. But it's such like a false binary that we've created, and it doesn't serve us. When I saw Gail King on the cover of Sports Illustrated, you know, at her ripe age wearing this bikini in Mexico, looking super hot and sexy, I was like, you know what, hell yeah, hell yeah, she can do that, and she can go on the news and she can tell us what's happening in our world.
Speaker 2: Es see, I want to hear more about that joy that you're talking about. So you walk into this first Harry Styles show and what happens, Like, what about that experience sparked so much in you?
Speaker 4: Interestingly, the first show was not that great. I think people might expect. Oh, I saw one show. The rest is history, Joy rediscovered, I gallivanted, and I was healed That's really not how it went at all. I had been listening to Harry Styles all day, every day, for which, for the record, I don't even know how much I was aware of that fact. You know, I was in such intense grief that I kind of kept hitting play on what I knew was working. But by the time I got to this show, you know, I was there with an acquaintance who invited me, and I kind of was like, you know what, I will step outside of my comfort zone. I had never previously been a fan of big crowds. I would have told you I liked live music, but the previous time I had traveled in quotes for a show was forty minutes. Forty five minutes. I mean, I was not the fangirl, you know, archetype, And all of a sudden, I'm in this ocean of inside jokes, Like people are doing choreography that is fan created. People are, you know, holding up signs that make no sense to a newcomer. You know, this is some deep subculture, hardcore fandom at work. Everyone seemed to have a handbook for this experience. And I'm thinking, I listened to a lot of Harry's music. How do I not know what's going on, and it made me so curious. So I did these deep dives on TikTok and Instagram, and all of a sudden, I already had an invite to a second show to sit in the nosebleeds with all my best girlfriends. And by the time I was at the second show, I was like, Okay, so that's his drummer down there, and she's married to the guitar player and they met through the band.
Speaker 3: Isn't that cute.
Speaker 4: It was like, the more I learned, the more I liked, and I realized that Harry Styles is the ted Lasso of the music industry. I mean, it's all kindness. It is the sweetest culture.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: You come for Harry and you stay for the fans. I think is a great way to put it.
Speaker 1: I love the way that you who approached each one of these concerts and your conversations with the fans that you met there. You actually almost treated it like an investigation, not just an investigation into the fandom, but also introspectively, like turning the questions in the lens on yourself. You were asking yourself these hard hitting questions about joy, like what is joy? Who has it? Who doesn't? Is it big? Is it small? Is it permanent? Is it fleeting? What did you learn from other fans through your investigation?
Speaker 4: It was so inspiring to me because I was new to this world and I'm meeting people who have they've been They've been in the Harry Styles orbit for thirteen years, and I was wondering, you know, what does this mean to you? I can tell you what this means to me, but it's hard to pick a favorite.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: I met a mother daughter duo outside of the Kia Forum. I offered to take their photo. They offered to take mine in front of this Harry Styles backdrop. I've talked to them almost every single day since January of twenty twenty three, like we are super close friends. They're driving several hours to see me on book tour. We've gone to other concerts together. One of my greatest takeaways about joy is the relationship between joy and judgment.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: That was a huge takeaway from me. And the opposite of joyful is not joyless. It's judgmental, you know. I write that so often we judge the what when we don't know the why.
Speaker 3: I was getting mean.
Speaker 4: Dms have you lost your mind, what the hell are you doing? And on and on, and I just was so grateful for these experiences and what they were doing for me that it made me look around those concerts and wonder, what does this mean to other people in this room? And that really inspired this curiosity that you alluded to.
Speaker 2: Was there a turning point for you? When did you discover you were coming out of your grief.
Speaker 4: Harry has a song called Sign of the Times, and the lyrics are stop your crying baby, It'll be all right. And I had heard that song several times, but that lyric just didn't land yet because I just I was like, no, I'm in the thick of it, you know, I'm not feeling like it's time to kind of stop this grief, which is what that lyric kind of sounded like to me. But all of a sudden, we're at the final show. I'm I'm with someone I met in a bathroom line who had extra tickets, and I'm hearing Harry Styles saying, stop your crying baby, It'll be all right, at the biggest show of his career, at the end of this adventure, and the sky's opened up and it started pouring rain, at the same time, the fireworks are all going off.
Speaker 3: It was not in the forecast.
Speaker 4: It was this total freak thing, and I mean everyone is losing it. It was the most cinematic moment of my entire life. And as people are splashing and screaming and pulling out their phones and dancing and like in total shock, you know, I'm standing there as still as a statue, and all of a sudden, I had this of Oh, I did it, and I ran this race. And that was about thirteen months post separation, and it really felt like my life can be bifurcated into you know, pre Wimbley in the rain and post Wimbley in the rain. And it was such a turning point for me, the biggest show, the biggest crescendo. I was leaving the next day to go back to the States after this unexpected thirty days with hardly anything with me and traveling with strangers and kind of rolling with it and having this unexpected journey. And it's called the finale in the book for multiple reasons.
Speaker 1: So you said that you can't explain why it was that that moment was so transformative, But I just want to probe a little bit further, like, why do you think, why was it that moment that changed everything?
Speaker 4: I think it's because I was in this season of such identity stripping. I was no longer a lawyer, I was no longer a wife, I was no longer a daughter in law, sister in law, and you know, I was no longer So and So's neighbor. You know, so many identities in my life were changing or getting stripped away. I think one of those transformative elements of going to these concerts is that the vast majority of them, I was an anonymous stranger in a crowd, and it's like I had the interest to go even further in the context of identity stripping. So if all these things that I that were billed as mattering so much, career and being married and all these things, if all that's gone, but now no one knows or cares where I'm from, what I do or used to do, where I went to school or didn't, what I have or don't have, or know, or who I don't know, None of it matters, and everything fades away. It made me ask myself, who am I in every single room I walk into? And I think I was beginning to really reap the benefit of that level of introspection. I had begun to be really, really thoughtful and reflective about just the value of these experiences and how they bullied my spirits and really what I learned again about kindness and identity and joy and grief. And so it was the most cinematic curtain call of this story when he's singing, stop your crying, baby, It'll be all right. And I'm with these strangers that I met in a bathroom, you know, like with dancing with women from all over the world, as these fireworks are going off in Wimbley, the most iconic venue in his home country, and it was just this wash.
Speaker 3: Of deep peace.
Speaker 4: And I write in the book that there's no such thing as a grief guillotine.
Speaker 3: It doesn't just end.
Speaker 4: It's not like you turn a light back on in life when you're ready to live in color again and no longer in black and white. But it's like it's on a patient dimmer where slowly the lights are coming back on, and it marks the pivot from saying I know I'm going to be okay, or I'm going to be okay, and it's such a slight shift into actually I am okay, Yeah, And for me, that moment was that shift.
Speaker 2: It's time for another short break, but we'll be right back to our conversation with sc Proroh, and we're back with sc PROO.
Speaker 1: As I think about the identity stripping that you mentioned and I look back on my own life, I think the greatest blessing of aging has been the realization that becoming the process of becoming is not about adding. It's about subtracting, and it's about liberating yourself from the judgment from your own doubts. That's so powerful. It feels like in that moment you fully allowed yourself to like reset and accept where you were.
Speaker 4: In that moment absolutely, and there was going back to this theme of judgment. There was such a point of pride for me that I was trusting my instincts. I mean, former me would be like, sorry, what are.
Speaker 1: We doing right?
Speaker 3: And I'm like you, no, we're rolling with it.
Speaker 4: And again it's it's made me so passionate about joy in whatever form it shows up in our lives, because so often it doesn't. I am now like a fangirl for fans, Like if you're a big fan of something, I'm like I will ride or die for that thing.
Speaker 3: You say, Renaissance fairs.
Speaker 4: I'm like, pass me a turkey, like baby, let's roll like I let's go oh, Star Wars, online forums, these things are important, and I'll be I'll be honest. I used to judge Disney adults. I didn't get it. I'm like, where are you going to Disney without kids? I don't get it? And I asked a friend of mine. I said, all right, can you explain this Disney adult thing to me? And she said, you know, a couple of years ago, I lost my dad to cancer, and Disney is where we have all of our best family memories. And I go back to Disney to feel closest to my dad. And I'm thinking, so often we judge the what when we don't know the why. And we never know what difficult walks someone is walking, you know, we never know the role that music, or a sports team, or a certain hobby or passion. We don't know what function that's playing in their life. And I just invite a listener to think about being not only gentler with other people about passions and hobbies and interests, but also learning how to give yourself grace is such an amazing practice as well. I so easily could have been like, all right, sc you've lost your damn mind because you have a cardboard cutout of a pop star in your house.
Speaker 3: You've lost it.
Speaker 4: But you know what, that cardboard cutout of Harry Styles made me laugh harder for the six months that I owned it with my friends. It gave me more joy because it was so ridiculous. And if something is not harming you or anyone else, I say, let's go.
Speaker 1: I like the idea.
Speaker 2: I am curious where you're at with it now in hindsight, Like, will you be going to more Harry Styles concerts in the future.
Speaker 3: Yes, one hundred percent.
Speaker 4: There is nothing in life I am looking forward to more than Harry's Next to her, I truly cannot wait.
Speaker 1: Amazing.
Speaker 3: Asked about what.
Speaker 1: Was it was?
Speaker 4: It came for Harry, stayed for the fans, and you know, I want to give Harry's Styles a lot of credit for so. I teach in the human and organizational development at Vanderbilt University, and if you ask me, what's the overlap between what you learned at these Hairy Styles concerts and what you teach your students. Is a concept that I would call psychological safety. When people feel safe to be themselves. Data shows that the most beautiful things result. There's openness, kindness, confidence, and all these things. And it's something we talk about as a department, is how can we make students feel comfortable to share in class, knowing their opinions are valuable and so forth. And when I heard that phrase when I started teaching at the university, I thought, Oh, that's the secret sauce at a hairy concert is people feel safe to be creative and zany and funny and emotional. People feel free to cry at the barricade to their favorite song that has moved them for who knows what reason. And I think that's really really powerful and worth mentioning. Harry Styles says, at every concert, I hope you feel you can be in this room who you've always wanted to be. What a beautiful invitation that you can show up and be yourself.
Speaker 1: Well, after all that you experienced, does see all the changes you made to your life, all the concerts, all the bathroom conversations, you created this framework for finding joy. And the framework is cultivate, adopt, protect, spread. With the time that we have left in this conversation, I want to focus on adopting. What I love about the way that you laid out this framework is that you punctuate each phase with this series of truly magical questions. And there's a question that really stuck out to me in the adopt section, and you said, are you internalizing other victories, joys, and wins and allowing them to bring you joy to are you making others joy your own in a time where some people are finding it hard to cultivate joy. Can you give us a roadmap as to how we can adopt the joy of others as our own.
Speaker 4: In a season of such significant loss, My spirits were so buoyed by watching other people succeed and have fun and so forth. And I introduced this idea of joy in the wild and looking for joy in the wild, because, like you said, sometimes cultivating joy in your own life can feel like a challenge. You know, maybe grief is your barrier to that, or whatever hardship it may be for me. I started looking very closely at the world around me in this season of rebuilding, and I found that the more keenly observant I was, especially out in public, the happier I was so. For example, at these Harry Styles concerts, I'm looking at strangers offering to take each other's photos. And my favorite example is girls were tying together feather boas to make one giant feather boa and they were using it to jump rope with strangers to kill time before a concert started. And I was sitting there and I was like, there, it is joy in the wild.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: The other day I was in Trader Joe's and I could tell it was two best friends grocery shopping together, and they went aisle by aisle with their carts side by side, and they were commentating, have you tried those crackers?
Speaker 3: Have you tried that?
Speaker 1: Wait?
Speaker 4: This hummus is the best, And didn't. I wasn't trying to eavesdrop, but I could tell that, like that's what they were doing. And they were laughing, and they were like product recommending and they were having the best time. They We were kind of on the same schedule, I guess, because I saw them in the parking lot.
Speaker 3: Their cars were parked side by side. They gave each other the biggest bear hugs after they loaded their cars with their respective groceries. And I was sitting there and I was like, I was having the worst day, and I thought to myself, there it is joy in the wild A friendship date to Trader Joe's. So again, when cultivating joy in.
Speaker 4: Your own life feels like a bit of a stretch, you know that, And that's something I can relate to. That really was so life giving, and after I've trained my eye to look for it, it's such a contagious way to live.
Speaker 1: And that speaks to the power of finding joy in the mundane too. Joy doesn't have to look like, you know, an extravagant trip to Europe to go see a concert for people who don't have the means, let's say, but it's all around us if we train our to look, which is what you're saying.
Speaker 2: Absolutely in the spirit of sharing joy, You've created Joy Hotline, which is a place for people to call in and share their moments of joy. What are some of the great things that people have called in to share?
Speaker 4: I am so glad you asked. I started the Joy Hotline this past summer. I was teaching a class for Vanderbilt and New York City and I had this idea as I was thinking about the big question, what brings you joy?
Speaker 3: Why is that simple question so challenging for people to answer.
Speaker 4: I'm so surprised by how often people say, I don't know what brings me joy, and I don't know what I like anymore. So I thought, you know what, let's pull the people. So I made thousands of stickers and put them all over New York with the Joy Hotline phone number, and it says what brings you joy? And I was shocked by how many voicemails I got. I thought people would just text it. And one of my favorites, this girl, called in and she said, Hey, I just found your sticker in Madison Square Park. And what brings me joy is Brazilian music and when my mom's really happy. I also love that feeling when you're at a party and you look around and no one's on their phone because people are deeply present. And I also love catching up with old friends. And anyway, thank you so much for giving me a reason to reflect on joy. Thanks Joy Hotline.
Speaker 3: I mean it just melted me.
Speaker 4: And one of my other favorites someone said this week, I trained my dog to smile in this really goofy picture of their dog with the cheesiest smile. And one of my other favorite voicemails. It was two Vanderbilt girls, because the stickers are all over Vanderbilt too, And this girl goes, Hey, Joy hotline. What brings me joy is walking to Dunkin Donuts with my roommate because I love my roommate. And the second girl, the roommate, is also on the voicemail and she goes, oh my god.
Speaker 3: That is so nice. I love you too. You bring me so much joy.
Speaker 4: And they proceed to have a conversation about their friendship on the Joy hotline and I'm just it brings me crazy joy when people hit up the Joy hotline.
Speaker 1: Well, I am certainly feeling less judgmental and a lot more joyful. All thanks to USSI, thanks so much for joining us on the bright side today.
Speaker 3: This was the most fun. Thank you both.
Speaker 2: Thanks for your dose of joy.
Speaker 1: Scproro is a professor at Vanderbilt University and the author of Styles of Joy, a feel good framework for rediscovering joy with a twist.
Speaker 2: That's it for today's show. Tomorrow, Kat Kantas is with us. She's the co founder of the tequila brand twenty one Seeds, and she's going to share some of her incredible entrepreneurial insight.
Speaker 1: Join the conversation using hashtag the bright Side and connect with us on social media at Hello Sunshine on Instagram and at the bright Side Pod on TikTok oh, and feel free to tag us at Simone Boyce and at Danielle Robe.
Speaker 2: Listen and follow The bright Side on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: See you tomorrow, folks, Keep looking on the bright side.