Speaker 1: The Nikki Gliser Podcast.
Speaker 2: Nik Glaser, here's Nikki. Hello here, I am welcome to the show.
Speaker 3: It's Nicky Glazer Podcast. Exciting day on the show. Welcoming back to the show. She used to be a regular on it. She's been away for a bit.
Speaker 2: She's back.
Speaker 3: She has a new album out. You just heard her voice before you even hear heard mine.
Speaker 2: It's Onya Marina.
Speaker 3: She's with us today via zoom.
Speaker 2: What's up? Anya?
Speaker 3: So happy you're here. Noah and Brian are also here. I'm in Saint Louis in my studio. Noah's in Arizona. Brian's in La Anyas in New York. We're holding down all of the time. Waitter you mountain time zone, Noah, I forgot what Arizona does.
Speaker 2: I have no idea what times with Arizona?
Speaker 1: I thought, I know, So what does that mean for them?
Speaker 2: Right now? You know what I mean. I just go by your time. So I'm in Central time. What is it time? What time is it to you? Right now? It's nine ten am. Okay, your Pacific.
Speaker 3: Western So we don't have mountain times represented today, But shout out to all those people on the slopes right now. I don't even know if they're on the slopes right now. It is like in eighty six degrees in Saint Louis. It's October thirty. First. I think we're setting We set a record yesterday for the highest temperature ever this late in the game. How's the weather where you guys are? Is that interesting? No, let's skip it. Wait unless it is. Is it interesting?
Speaker 1: The weather is not interesting over here. But I'm excited that we keep breaking new records. I mean, we're an amazing shit.
Speaker 3: It's so fun us A yeah, you s yeah, that is good. It does make climate change fun when you are like breaking records.
Speaker 2: It sounds like the Olympics.
Speaker 1: Yeah, broke the record for fastest death of the world.
Speaker 4: Yeah, ilieve people aren't though. Oh climate news, Yeah, I can't do it right now what it is, but I do remember seeing it on Instagram, which is where I get my news.
Speaker 2: There was something good.
Speaker 4: There is something good. Yeah, this is the first time in many years that the planet actually isn't getting hotter.
Speaker 3: I don't know, can't be true, but that absolutely can't be true.
Speaker 4: It's it's science. Like science, I can look at the.
Speaker 2: Thing that always kind of relaxes my body.
Speaker 3: When I get tense about climate change is that when people go, no, the planet's totally fine, don't worry, the planet is good to go.
Speaker 2: We are dying. We're going to die off.
Speaker 3: It is going to it's heating up like a fever does when your body gets a fever. It's trying to fight an infection. We're an infection that it's trying to fight off, and and it's just going through its naturals and and all life will probably die off, but we will actually no, not all, no, no. Even when the asteroid hit back in what year.
Speaker 2: Was that when that fucking thing hit that I read about.
Speaker 1: The New York nobody knows the actual year.
Speaker 3: Well, that's what I'm setting up for. On his album is called Asteroid, So another asteroid just hit.
Speaker 2: A great.
Speaker 3: On his album is called Asteroid, which is like the coolest name for an album ever. It's, uh, how did you decide on that being the name? I think I was like in the car with you maybe when you were like should it be this?
Speaker 4: Well, there's a song on there called Asteroid that's about like just being depressed and walking out into nature and just being like fuck everything. When you have a fight with somebody and you're just like, how have I done all this?
Speaker 2: You have a fight with Matt Pond.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a very specific a song too relate to. Yeah, Okay, So when you have a fight with someone and you walk out into nature and.
Speaker 4: When you're just like, have you ever had this where you're like, how am I in the midst of a fight like a seven year old? And I've done so much work on myself, how is that possible?
Speaker 1: And then you go out in the woods and you think about how all the dinosaurs are dead and what's the point?
Speaker 4: Totally I do. I go into nature a lot. I need to go on walks a lot. And so I went for a walk this particular day and was just like, oh, I just want to fucking get hit by an asteroid or something. And I and I was thinking about that, like just picturing like laying down in a field and staring up at the sky. And sometimes that puts me in a good mood, and sometimes I like the eeriness of it. There's a line in the song about like the asteroid coming right for me, so I like that.
Speaker 1: It's quickly positive.
Speaker 3: Maybe that used to be my childhood fear. I wouldn't like to go look at the stars in Michigan. We would go to Michigan and it's so dark up there, like there's not a lot of like you know, light around you. So at night you can see all the stars.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: It's like so cool to go out and sit on the dock. It's so dark. And I used to be terrified too, because if I I was scared of one of the shootings, hers is gonna like fall on me. Same with fireworks, but like what a.
Speaker 1: That's crazy because they could all those things could fall on you during the day too or anything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And also who do I think I am that's gonna hit me? Like, I think that's why when when people say I'm gonna die in a plane crash, I always go, You're not special enough. And someone told me that recently that I said that to them years ago, and they were like, it helps me all the time because you harshly were like, you're not that special that you're gonna be the one that gets to die. And like a passenger jet crashing like one of the only ones that's happened in this you are, Kobe.
Speaker 2: Well, that wasn't a passenger jet.
Speaker 3: I mean, like people who fly Southwest Delta United, Like those flights don't go down, you guys like in America, like we maybe like Malaysian Air. I'm egypt Who well those flights. I'm not trying. I'm not being racist when I say this, but like I feel like most times when I hear about a passenger jet going.
Speaker 1: Down, it's it's no, it's not me.
Speaker 3: I've researched it. I mean there have been ones. There was one right after September eleventh that got no love because we were still like about September eleventh, and then as soon as we realized it wasn't a terrorist attack, we were like moving on, but it crashed in Long Island.
Speaker 1: There was one, but to be fair, that plane was filled with people from Malaysia.
Speaker 4: Pushing the Malaysia thing stop.
Speaker 2: I just met.
Speaker 3: Like, you know, if you're a scared traveler and you're scared of flying, truly think about that, like you're you're not that important. It's like that's gonna happen. That's you're not gonna win the lottery.
Speaker 1: You're not gonna a guy of cancer or heart attack, just like.
Speaker 4: A normal childhood thing. I remember when I skipped school one day and I was like, oh, TV still happens when I am at home.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, because you are still learning that like thing, like you don't know that other people have experiences.
Speaker 2: What is it called when you like learn that as a child.
Speaker 1: I think I asked us on this podcast.
Speaker 2: A million times.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: My dog also doesn't have object permanence. That's why we can all do those TikTok challenges where you like put up a sheet and then your dog is looking at you, and then you run another room and you drop the sheet and the dog is like. One of my favorite things is when I take my dog to the park off leash and she's just kind of like.
Speaker 2: Getting a little brazen.
Speaker 3: I'm like, oh, she hasn't checked in on me in a little bit. And then I run behind a tree and I watch her like sniffing something, and then I see her go to like, oh, where's my owner?
Speaker 2: And then like go to look and.
Speaker 3: Then she's like and then she freaks out and starts like trotting around.
Speaker 2: It's so cute.
Speaker 3: It reminds me that I'm special and that I'm loved and that she does care.
Speaker 2: And do you ever do that?
Speaker 1: How does that? You think? Like maybe one day, I will die in a plane. Correct.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it reminds them who's boss.
Speaker 3: Due.
Speaker 4: Matt and I always like play dead around the house, which is fun. Or we'll hide and we'll see how good her sense of smell is. We'll like hide in the basement. Oh and pretend we're dead. It's probably mean.
Speaker 3: You're dead, is the weird part of it. I think hiding is one thing but that you have to put in like your debt, like you need you want to see if your dog would be sad if you die. Yeah.
Speaker 4: My sister and I used to do it to my dad all the time too, Like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was gonna say, this is a childhood thing, like, Daddy, let me know that you care, duddy. Yeah. When you're a kid, you're just like so selfish you don't know about That's why it's so amazing when they're like little kids that you know, do like a a food drive or like they like earn money for the local animal shelter. When kids like have a heart, it's so beautiful and because it's not really that natural for them to like, I mean, I think it for them to be caring and sweet, but like for them to like think about the world a bigger world than themselves is. I mean, for anyone to do that is fucking rare. I mean anyone who like my assistant, I'll sometimes say like hey, uh, can I get this information? She's like, oh yeah, I'll do it when I get home. And then she's like, sorry, I was volunteering. I'm like, what where? She volunteers at a soup kitchen, like a local shelter and like sorts and hands up food.
Speaker 2: And she was like, it was a rough day to day, I had to leave early. It was just like two sad or like there'll.
Speaker 3: Be moments where she says that, but like she she and Noah, you worked at a community.
Speaker 2: Grin yeah, where they grew good for unsheltered.
Speaker 4: Yesterday, Matt and I decided we were going to volunteer at the local voting center. But we did that out of selfishness because we were like, these people are slow. It was such a long line. So he's like, next year, we're volunteering, and we're going to do this just to keep this efficient.
Speaker 3: Friends next year when the election doesn't feel is important, when you kind of forget to even vote next year, Well, I have two friends who.
Speaker 1: Do that in on Long Island. They volunteer at the election Steinman and all of who you know Steinmann?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I remember him from there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they yeah, they do it every year, and it's just like it's just so poorly organized and run. It's like very difficult when you're volunteering to even like make make it better, because it's just they need you, they desperately need volunteer, especially now that like you know, all the election interference conspiracies that the people who do this are like actually somewhat in danger. But yeah, it's really like the system is uh not efficient.
Speaker 2: Oh really, I'm just kidding.
Speaker 3: It's a week from now is going to be a different world.
Speaker 2: Like I don't even know.
Speaker 3: I'm like in I don't even I think I think moing crazy. I think I'm starting to have like a.
Speaker 4: Like a.
Speaker 3: Uh pre pre PTSD or something kind attack.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, next week we'll have certainty.
Speaker 2: No, no, I mean someone will.
Speaker 3: So one side will and then I hopefully, and then I think the other there will be if if things go the way I would like them to, I think there will be, it'll still be scared. But if I if they go the other way, I just literally don't know what my body will do. I mean, I don't know what the world will do, but I don't know what my physical body will do. After the first time it happened, I remember my mom was so upset. I like sent her flowers, but I was like, it's gonna be okay. It's just this is it was a new kind of fear. And now it feels like I'm going I just I just don't I can't even I don't even know what to say. I don't even know what your mom flowers? Yeah, because she was crying all day when Trump won. She couldn't stop crying. And I and I also just like tears of poy.
Speaker 2: I think my mom it might kill her.
Speaker 3: I'm not even joking you, Like, if you care about Julie Glazer living, will you please vote for Kamala because I think I think it will kill her. I'm emotionally, she is so upset about him that if he wins, the way she reacted last time eight years ago, it was I just don't know that it's gonna be okay for her. Like I'm really worried about her body, like breaking down because she was so upset. I didn't even think about that till now. Maybe that's what I'm worried about. It's like what my fragile mom will do.
Speaker 1: You can't have Kamala in office. She wants to give trans surgeries to rapists in jail. Haven't you heard?
Speaker 2: Wait no, I thought.
Speaker 3: I thought the trans rapists are going to come into the schools and do the surgeries during recess to the kids.
Speaker 2: Yeah, with their teeth.
Speaker 3: They really He's really saying that they are going. He said on multiple speeches that they are giving trans surgeries to kids and kids in elementary school. That your kid will leave Jimmy and come home Jane, which is there's it's just there's. It's never happened, it will never happen. Kimmel last night was great because he was like, please just send this monologue. This is for your republic can friends. No Republicans are gonna watch it. No fucking It's just no, there's no chance of that.
Speaker 1: Adam, not Jimmy Campbell.
Speaker 2: But it was just interesting.
Speaker 3: Because I don't watch his speeches and I don't really pay attention to all the things he says, because how can you that he goes on for four hours every speech and people like half his audience even fucking leaves people that like him, So how are people that don't like him supposed to listen to all of it?
Speaker 2: But they had to?
Speaker 1: Really?
Speaker 3: Like, if you just want to hear some of the craziest shit that's being said right now that you might not be aware of because it just is like a bed of nails and it just all seems too much and you're like, oh, there's no way that Like it's crazier than you even think.
Speaker 2: It's just it's so upsetting.
Speaker 3: But in a week from now, it'll just be more upsetting and that'll be great.
Speaker 1: It'lla longer than a week. It's we're not gonna know on Tuesday or Wednesday or Thursday. It's gonna be good. It's going to go into the next week for the swing states, I bet, just like last time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I think is that we'll be uncertain. I just hope we're not. But because that's such an uncomfortable place just in life in general.
Speaker 2: You think it's gonna be so close, it's gonna be uncertain.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're gonna be counting those votes and can test to those votes.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's going to be close, do you think.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be a blowout. You're you're on the bobcast method.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one of our writers on the NFL thing we did last week. We were all kind of like, what's what do you guys think? Like, I'm always scared to ask a group of people like what do you quit? Like, because everyone's paying more attention than I am of the people I hang out with, So when I asked them, I'm always just like, brace for impact. And Bob Castrone, good friend, head writer on Not Safe from the Key Glazer is positive it's going to be I'm all's gonna win to the landslide and I was really happy to hear that. And then everyone's kind of like on board. And then he said something and everyone's like, oh bulls.
Speaker 2: It just like.
Speaker 1: And she's gonna win Texas and you guys go fudo.
Speaker 3: All. I know that if you live in Missouri, please vote yes on UH.
Speaker 2: Yes on Amendment three.
Speaker 3: UH protect women's rights to have autonomy over their own bodies.
Speaker 2: Vote yes on three.
Speaker 3: That's very very important for everyone to keep everyone safe. And I I think both sides really do agree. They've done a lot of pulling and both sides kind of agree on on the fact that women should have access to safe abortions, you know, and I think we should.
Speaker 1: We should have we should be able to vote for any federal offices. Honestly, Like I was, I live in Culver City, which is only eighteen to twenty thousand people. It's like a small town. It's like smaller than the town I grew up in, even though it's in the middle of LA And we get to vote for Culver City City Council. And like the stuff that you're like debating about which council members to pick is like which stop signs to put up, and like what we're gonna do with like the homeless encament outside the sprouts. It's like these little.
Speaker 3: Small Why shouldn't you be voting on that stuff?
Speaker 1: That's I think that's the best stuff to vote for. Yeah, that's what I'm saying, instead of voting for who is your senator. It's like that doesn't fucking matter.
Speaker 2: Yes, it does.
Speaker 1: It doesn't fucking matter.
Speaker 3: Ryan, I think it does. Do not start this. It doesn't matter, Pody.
Speaker 4: Just go into the woods and look for an asteroid.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're talking about what we were saying. When things are not certain uncertainty when things go either.
Speaker 4: Way, you hate it, can't stand it.
Speaker 2: Like do you have an example of like you're.
Speaker 4: Waiting for an email reply hate, Like waiting on an answer of any kind really difficult to tolerate the uncertainty of life. I mean, go back to dating, Like I know it's been a long time for you since you were single. There is nothing worse than waiting for a text back. It's just like hell, you're just like fuck thrilling.
Speaker 3: It makes you feel alive, it makes you like, yeah, it gets your heart racing. When it finally comes through, there's like an exciting moment, Like I don't really get much of that in life anymore. Like you know, news comes in of like you're gonna host the Golden Globes and it's fun for a second and then it's like, oh boy, gotta work. But like when a guy texts you back, it's never like oh no, I've got to work, Like it's just like, oh, this will be fun. There's no like getting jobs is always a great it's great news or getting an assignment or something a payday coming up, but then you're like, oh, there's work attached.
Speaker 2: But not with crushes that stuff.
Speaker 4: Is so fun, it can't be Yeah, that's true. But I mean there's a reason they call it a crush too, because it can also be so painful.
Speaker 3: Is that why they call it a crush?
Speaker 2: Yeah, probably it is, I.
Speaker 4: Think because you're just like, ah, it is fun, but it can hurt too when it I mean, it doesn't always go your way either. It can be like, oh, they're dating somebody else or they're not right way back.
Speaker 3: It doesn't ever go your way until it does go your way, and even when it does go your way, like then it's a whole other slew of things that'll happen.
Speaker 4: Or like like, I'm sure there are actors listening that have auditioned for something and it's just hell waiting to find out.
Speaker 1: Did You can't even wait, Like, if you're an actor there, you should just audition and forget about it because the chances of it happening are the same chances you're dying in a plane.
Speaker 2: Career, Yes, totally. That's why I like football. You just move on.
Speaker 3: I'm always like, you know, I've talked about it before, but I'm always like, is that guy is so embarrassed? Is that kicker so embarrassed that it like hit the pole like his what he has literally one job and it like didn't go like it's never changed, like the distance changes, but like.
Speaker 2: Just kick it as far as you can that way.
Speaker 3: And then like you are hired and you're paying millions suits you and you don't do it? Is that guy like like is his life ruin now?
Speaker 2: And what I've heard is like no, in football, you just kind of move on.
Speaker 1: Well they get fired, like they'll get fired that week.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, you move on to another team or you move on to your new career over the weekend. Did you see I'm sure you watched the Bears game again in the Chargers and saw that I've.
Speaker 2: Heard it was the worst play.
Speaker 3: I listened to the Ringer podcast because I was like going down a deep dive on that play because it just seemed so insane and I wanted to understand the insanity and there's so much talk around it. I watched like a Bill Belichick talking about it. Will you have described that play and tell me why? These guys on the Ringer podcast, which is I guess a very popular sports podcast called it, without hyperbole, the literal worst play they have ever seen in any sport.
Speaker 4: Okay, so the thing is the one guy had the ball.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wouldn't agree with that hyperbole. I've seen worse. I saw worse this weekend. I mean, I guess if you're calling it a play, well, yeah, like the New Orleans Pelicans. He was an NBA basketball team. They lost to the Warriors in the most shack you know shack. He was on TNT after No, it's Charles Barclay. Sorry, there's both, they both do announcers. Yeah, Charles Barklay. Yeah, I wasn't a racist thing. I mean, it was just it was both black men, and I thought it doesn't.
Speaker 3: Matter really famous black men from the nineties who played professional yet.
Speaker 1: So Charles Barkley said that that that that was the most embarrassing loss he's ever seen, because the Pelicans were up by twenty points, the Warriors had did not have their best two players and they were just cruising. And then the way the Warriors these bench players, these people have never I've never even heard of them, and I watched the college games. The way that these bench players made the Pelicans their bitch was so embarrassing. It was like it was like they just dominated them for three full quarters.
Speaker 3: All of them, Like they all got to share in that embarrassment. But like, wasn't the play from the Charger.
Speaker 1: The the well, the reason why that was so bad was because it was so unlikely that they would lose in that fashion.
Speaker 3: Right, wasn't the Chargers, It was the Washington Guardians. It was it was the Commanders, Commanders, Commanders versus Bears.
Speaker 1: The good news is did you know that for the last I think it was seventeen out of twenty elections, when the guard when the Washington team, whether it was the Redskins used to be the Redskins, now the Commanders. When the Redskins win, the incumbent party because they're the DC team, the incumbent party wins the presidency. When they lose the week of the election, then the challenger wins the presidency. So because the Commanders won this game, that means that Kamala should win the presidency based on precedents.
Speaker 3: Based on like our radio station doing like which Bowl is the.
Speaker 1: Twenty times?
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, all right, well that's interesting, but okay, this guy threw a hail Mary pass. Yeah, and in the last seconds of the game two and they were going to lose.
Speaker 1: Right, there were down by like four or five points.
Speaker 2: The guy who is going to catch it or one.
Speaker 1: Of the defenders.
Speaker 3: Defenders was like talking shit to the crowd, not even realizing that like a play was being made and.
Speaker 2: That a ball was like hurling towards him.
Speaker 3: The crowd had to be like, dude, a ball and then they scrambled to stop it. They all just all of the defenders like descend on what where the ball was.
Speaker 2: They all go up and hit it. He hits it like a volleyball. One of the players hits it like a volleyball.
Speaker 3: It just then perfectly falls into the hands of I forget who a guy in the end zone and they get a touchdown and they.
Speaker 2: Win the game.
Speaker 3: And it was like from the wasn't that from like the thirty yard line? Like so far away?
Speaker 1: It was so far away, it was like forty or thirty yard line. It was a hail Mary. It was a last ditch effort and the Commanders won. It was it was extremely disappointing for any Bears fan, and I also for.
Speaker 3: Bears fans too, Like, okay, if you have money on the game, find but like two.
Speaker 1: Hundred dollars, the Bears will win. I was not I was spending that.
Speaker 3: Money, sportsman, Don't you want crazy shit like that to happen? Like maybe not because it's such like a messy play and you're so disappointed.
Speaker 2: But like, isn't that stuff?
Speaker 3: To me? As a I was like obsessed with this because it was so rare and like fucked up and that so many people were making fun of it. Like that to me was like more exciting than if my team won. But actually I don't have a team, so I I maybe I don't know what that's like.
Speaker 1: That one was a little less exciting because it was so unbelievable and the person who caught the ball didn't have to do anything right.
Speaker 2: It was just it was like he was in the stands, Like yeah, he was.
Speaker 1: There by design, Like that's the way they do their tail Mary's is they have a big clump and then there's always one guy behind the clump to get the tip backs. But like he really didn't have to do anything. It was just pure stupidity by the guy who just like swatted it up and luck and like it's it would be one thing if the receiver leaped up in the air and like just got a little higher than everyone else. And grabbed it down.
Speaker 3: That's the point that I think that I was saying, Maybe is the reason that people don't care is because it was just all like bad, like it didn't there was something impressive about any of it except the throw.
Speaker 1: It was like, well, the throw was pretty good. Jayden Daniels, who is the quarterback, shouldn't get any credit for that happening. It was pure luck.
Speaker 2: But that's to me.
Speaker 3: I couldn't stop like researching it and trying to find other people's and then I was like talking to so many sports fans and no one knew about it. I was like, did you guys see that hail Mary pass that?
Speaker 2: And everyone was just like no, I don't.
Speaker 3: Like. I talked to so many people and men I should say and I care about football, and they're like, no, I didn't say, and I couldn't describe it because I don't have the like verbiage for it, but that I was excited, that I was excited about it.
Speaker 2: But now I'm like, now I'm getting Now I'm mad.
Speaker 3: At myself because I get excited about the wrong things, Like no, I don't understand football.
Speaker 2: It's not even the right thing to get excited about.
Speaker 1: That's okay to be excited, but that was an exciting play. It was like a holy shit, but not in a like holy shit that was amazing. It was like, holy shit, can you believe how stupid that guy is and how lucky the commanders just got?
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, Well maybe that's my thing. Is I just like rare, crazy, like bad per performances. I like people, but also at the same time, when it comes to comedy, I do not like watching people bomb. I don't like people like totally missing it and having a really bad showing. I like people being and I like people be being like impressive either. I like to leave the room for that as well.
Speaker 2: It threatens me both of them. Okay, we'll be back after this.
Speaker 3: All right, we're back on your Marina has a new album out, Asteroid. You can find it on Spotify, Apple, wherever you get your music. You can order the vinyl and I'm sure other Is there other ways to order it.
Speaker 2: On on your Marina dot com?
Speaker 4: Yeah to people mind CDs.
Speaker 3: I think CDs are the new vinyl, Like gen Z is like into it, how okay.
Speaker 4: Selling a lot of vinyl and uh, I'd say even more vinyl than CDs, but not all that much more. I'd say it's like seventy percent of the sales or vinyl and thirty or.
Speaker 3: CDs, Like I don't know where people don't have like CD players, like, oh, like a lot of pro are set up in there.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, cars mm hmmm.
Speaker 4: Surprisingly, I'm like, where are you guys going to play this? Like a lot of people, it shows by CDs because it's easier to carry around, But don't you.
Speaker 1: Plug your phone into the dashboard into the car.
Speaker 4: I think some people just want something from old cars to put on there, like Sean, Ohbrian just bought a vinyl and he's like, I can't wait to put this on my mantle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, makes sense because it's not just about playing the record. I think it's about having a big, like a portrait kind of thing, like something to frame, but a CD. No one's really framing CDs.
Speaker 1: On the first time I saw Anya, Marina was on a vinyl in your apartment before I ever met you. Nikki had a prominently displayed on your Marina album and I said, who's that and she goes, oh, don't ask.
Speaker 4: Story first roommate, I ever, not true at all? Best we first moved in together and I could not get any fucking furniture together. I and you were like, I hate to say this, but our house looks like American Psycho because we lived in this weird apartment in New York where all of the kitchen furniture was like industrial like on the Bear, It's like all like stainless steel, and it really did look like American Psycho in our apartment, just stainless steel counters.
Speaker 2: Your problem to get furniture.
Speaker 4: Well, you were like traveling a lot, and I was like, I'll get stuff and I just kept like cutting out pictures and putting them on my visuboard or whatever, and you were like, Babe, we need a couch. It was three weeks in and you're like, I'm going to Ikia with Sabrina and Julie's and we're getting a couch. And then you remember, You're like, well you just trust me. I'm like, okay.
Speaker 3: It was more like, will you just trust Sabrina because I just I wouldn't have gone on my own to do it. I just knew that I like, she has really good style, and so I just knew I just will get the couch that Sabrina says to get and you were so right.
Speaker 4: I still have that couch.
Speaker 2: It's no way.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I bought an Ikea cover. You can buy covers that perfectly fit this thing on Etsy, and now we just have it. It's just blue. It used to be this ugly tan color and now we have a blue one. That's ugly. But my shape is the shape is right.
Speaker 3: That's so funny you still have that couch. Yeah, that that was a good situation we had.
Speaker 2: I loved I love being roommates. It was so fun.
Speaker 4: It was so fun. I really miss having somebody to bounce things off of every day, and I really miss someone being gone a lot of the day.
Speaker 2: That's what I was gonna say. I'm surprised you're still friends after living together.
Speaker 4: It's I think it's an unlikely story. We have that together like for years, and then I like missed her so much when she she went to la You went to do not Safe, and that was the first time I was like, oh this, that's right. Like I've always been the friend that travels and all my friends are always like, I haven't heard from you in months, And then I remember, like you went and moved to l A and was like, I haven't heard from Nikki and like a month and a half. I remember I was like this before FaceTime was like, would you want to skype? And I remember skyping with you one day. We did a skype and you were like in the middle of a writer's meeting and it was so not the right time, and I remember I was just like, I need I need to give her space. She's working.
Speaker 3: Harn't remember this at all, But I am a friend that if it's if I'm not like, if we're not doing the thing where we always see each other, Like my friend's ships are always based on like we're working together, or we live near each other, we have like a ritual where we go to a class together or like, and if we're not doing that, like I don't stay in touch, like I it's almost like a I miss them so much. I don't want to be reminded that we don't have that thing anymore. So I just like cut it off. Like and I've hurt some friends feelings, I think when I'm like out of sight, out of mind. But girls chet has kept me really hard, very much plugged into.
Speaker 1: Like girls Chat's important.
Speaker 2: It's the most.
Speaker 3: Important thing ever the other day, Holla was on being like, I don't you know, it's hard to make friends wherever I am.
Speaker 2: I'm like, get on girls chat more.
Speaker 3: It gives you the illusion that you have friends where you are. I feel I don't like really crave friends when I'm in Saint Louis because I have girls.
Speaker 2: I'm I'm this is.
Speaker 3: The only time where I'm like still enough. But I'm not really like hanging with family that much. I'm kind of doing my own thing when I'm in Saint Louis, like alone most of the time, and but I have I have girls. I'm never alone because I always have the girls chat to go listen to something or put something out there.
Speaker 4: And do you get lonely?
Speaker 3: Ever, yes, I cannot cannot be like if I get home like last night I got home was.
Speaker 2: That last night?
Speaker 3: Jesus fucking Christ. I can't even talk to you about my weekend.
Speaker 4: It's just it's you want to talk to us about your weekend.
Speaker 2: I can't.
Speaker 3: It doesn't even it doesn't make My life doesn't make sense right now. It's so busy. It's I've asked for it. This is it isn't interesting. It's just insane.
Speaker 2: How much travel. I did this weekend.
Speaker 3: But I got home last night at nine and I asked my mom to pick me up in the morning, and she said, I guess, Like I heard that it literally I guess.
Speaker 2: And I go, you don't have to, I'll just get an uber. We're literally in like another country, like you've.
Speaker 3: Been in Mexico yesterday morning and I was like, Mom, I said to my bompman dad, Hey, is there any way that you wasted to pick me up with the dog at nine o'clock?
Speaker 2: I know it's late. I land.
Speaker 3: Then I guess I do never mind, Please do not You're not doing it. And she was like, no, I'll do it. I got nothing else going on.
Speaker 2: I go, yeah, I know. That's why.
Speaker 3: I asked, like, why would you Your dad is tennis? Okay, does he at tests till nine? Why doesn't he come? Yeah, well he has tennis at seven. It probably goes till night. Okay, Well, I'll just get an uber. I'll get Goldie in the morning. I just wanted my dog because I am having a rough day and and I want to have a rough night. Are uff And she was like, I'll get you. Well, I can do it.
Speaker 2: Nick. I'm just like this is not.
Speaker 3: Like this, this doesn't feel good, like I'm thank you so much, but no thank you. And then it was just a fight of like I'm gonna get you, and then she did and it was nice. But that's I I when I get home from the road on a night and then I get home and I have nothing to do at night and there's no boyfriend here to like talk to me and watch TV with I just I don't know what I My whole kitchen will get eaten. I will eat until I am ready to go to sleep, and then I will go to like I sleep or eat, and I cannot watch TV without eating or talking to someone. So if no one's there to talk to, I will be eating the whole time until I feel sick and then I go to bed.
Speaker 2: And last night I watched Only Murders and.
Speaker 3: I had a lot to say about that too, Anya, for this sixt week, No there is. I'm just trying to watch things for the Golden Globes that are like ubiquitous that everyone knows about.
Speaker 2: That may or it may not be.
Speaker 3: You know, Only Murders is just something that's been around. You've never seen twenty twenty one never Oh, Okay, I know.
Speaker 4: Really great to start with Satan one because it's the beginning of a journey that really is fearing my God.
Speaker 3: Like, I knew your impression was good, but until I started watching last night, like I started talking like her to my dog, and my dog was so alarmed and like kind of got scared.
Speaker 2: I can't do it. That was so honestly, Anya, that.
Speaker 3: Was literal AI perfection. It's exactly how she sounds.
Speaker 4: It so worse as the seasons continue, not worse, I don't if you're listening. So no, it just gets more froggy ish it.
Speaker 3: It is an interesting show. I like the fact that Steve Martin wrote it. I just think that's so cool that someone in their seventies is still making like hit a hit TV show and like being so creative. And it really is a creative idea for a show. I mean, this isn't new to any any most people have seen the show Martin short isn't.
Speaker 2: Is beautiful and.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh what Steve Morton's Steve Martin is amazing. And I was talking to gen ZM about it because she was like, please, girl, will you please watch Odie Murders because she's on season four, and I desperately. Oh, okay, here's why I pretend I'm watching it for the Golden Globes.
Speaker 2: Nikki, shut the fuck up.
Speaker 3: It's it's advantageous that it also is a you know, probably a Golden Globe contender, and it's nice that I would watch it. You know, I'm watching it because Martin Short and Meryl Street were dating and they fucking got together.
Speaker 2: Because of that show.
Speaker 3: Okay, it's so damn cute and I can't wait to see them fall in love on the screen.
Speaker 2: It's one of my favorite things. You don't know they're dating.
Speaker 4: I have so many goosebumps.
Speaker 3: People are saying it's Taylor and Travis for people who don't like sports.
Speaker 4: That's so cute because they have such crazy chemistry, and I'm like getting horned up watching them horned up.
Speaker 3: They are so cute. They first spotted like holding hands on the red carpet. I think it's season three premiere, and that was just people were just like, oh, they're just friends, and then a really interesting meme popped up for me. And I don't know if it's true, and I don't mean to speculate, and it's none of my business, but at the Golden Globes last year. I believe Selena Gomez was talking to Taylor Swift and someone else. I forget who was at the table, and I think it was maybe, oh God, what's her name? I really like her, she's married to that guy that's in a lot of things whatever. And you saw Taylor sth go no, what, and you see Selena like being like yes, uh huh, and she's like, no way, they are something like that. It was a year ago, or you know, almost a year ago, so I don't remember the context, but it was like something shocking that Taylor was responding to, and it was really like a cute thing and people trying to lip read and figure out and Selena like put out at tweet at the time that said, this isn't what you think it's about.
Speaker 2: Everyone saw assuming it was.
Speaker 4: Something it was Timothy Shallow May and Kylie.
Speaker 3: Yes she They thought they were gossiping about Timothy. Timothy, by the way, timotha a lot of I did a Golden Globes promo day and they made sure that I got it as tim Hey Shallow.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 1: No one says that though.
Speaker 3: Uh it's I did both.
Speaker 2: I did both.
Speaker 3: I was like can we just get some Timothy's in case it's not, but I think it is timid Ay, So Timoday, Shalla May and Kylie where I guess, like you know, kissing and stuff. So everyone thought they were gossiping about them, and Selene was like, I was not gossiping about them.
Speaker 2: I was talking about.
Speaker 3: Two of my friends who are hooking up, not that it's any of your business. And cut to now we think it might have been she was telling Taylor and this other girl about Martin and Merrill, which would have definitely elicited.
Speaker 2: A no way.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, Like it's it's so cute. I can't even stand it. After reading his book, you if you've listened to the show for a while, you know how obsessed I got with I became a shorty and I like became obsessed with and short after reading his book and reading about like how much he loved his wife and after her death, like how devastating it was and how like cute, he was like, oh my god, there's this moment.
Speaker 2: Okay, so his.
Speaker 3: Wife and it's really really really fucking sad, Like the book is like stained with my tears, like it's crumpled where like I like couldn't even turn the page because it was like I was crying so much. Then he goes on the Today Show like, I don't know, I'm gonna guess like six months to a year after her passing, and Kathy Lee, I believe is that he's he's being interviewed about some animated show he's on or whatever movie, and Kathy Lee is like, let's talk about one of the greatest love stories of Hollywood.
Speaker 2: You and your wife. Are you still in love? Are you still is it?
Speaker 3: It's like it's she doesn't know about her death, so I liked, either she forgot about it or she didn't know, but she's asking him about his wife and how great their relationship is and how enviable it is, and it's one of the great Hollywood marriages, like they say, it doesn't last in Hollywood. You and Nancy have and and he's so cute because he doesn't go, actually she's passed. He doesn't correct her. He's just like, yeah, we still I still love her so much, we still are so in love, and he like answers it like that, and then in the book he explains that like when she said, like, you know, is it about communication?
Speaker 2: He's like something.
Speaker 3: About where he's like, yeah, it's about we communicate like so well, and he said I wasn't lying because I still talk to her all the time.
Speaker 2: It was so sweet, And that's that's my thing.
Speaker 3: When people go what makes you cry, it's always when people talk to dead people and say, like, you know, it started with Forrest Gump where he's.
Speaker 2: Like, Jenny, you'd be so proud of little.
Speaker 3: Forests like that, Like, was the first time I think I cried as a about an adult situation when I was a child. And then when dead people leave notes from and then people read them later on, those are like my two biggest triggers for just instantly weeping is like dead people being like I want you to go on and have a full life, and like someone's reading a letter knowing that they're gonna die can't handle it, and and that was and that was so cute though, And he said though that it was the first time he realized the power of social media because it was around the time when I guess like Twitter and was taking off or really gaining like popularity. And he said, you know what, that was embarrassing for Kathleen, But no one said anything about it and it's not gonna be a thing. And then he got in his car, like his town car that they have for him waiting outside, and Steve Martin called him right away like cackling, laughing and was like, haa, how did she not know? That was so funny and like had a good sense of you were about it. But he was like, wait, how did you know? And these goes it's all over Twitter and he's like, what's Twitter? And it was the first time in his long careers sees that something could be like seen that quickly and like become a thing, and it was it was interesting to even hear about that about how like back in the day in Hollywood, like rumors took months to start and like like things didn't catch on unless you were watching it live, like you wouldn't have known about it for a while.
Speaker 1: That's one of the biggest problems with our society, yeah, is that things just happened so fast and then they're gone. There's no build up, there's no staying power. It's just it's they're in an instant and it's gone an instant.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, It's it's it's both a good thing and a bad thing. I think because I we've talked about before, but I whenever I worry about, like, oh what if I have this really bad showing at something like it's I can just always tell myself.
Speaker 2: It's people forget about it right away.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then also if it's good, they forget about it right away, so none of it really matters. Like Anya, you weren't even saying it's interesting we bring this up. It was before your album even came out, and you were saying, I'm having a depression. Maybe you didn't say the word depression, but I'm grieving it being done, like this big thing that it hadn't even come out yet. I think it was like a week before, and you were like, I'm already feeling a low grade depression about it, being like the anticipasion it's over.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because once an album is out, it's like people consuming it really fast and then it's like, okay, next, Like I just put out a new single I don't know, like a week ago from the album, which is still on the album. You can hear it.
Speaker 2: You are good.
Speaker 4: It's I put out a little visualizer for where the Darkness is. Oh yeah, and now it's been a week since I put it out and I'm like, I gotta put out another thing, and it's like it's been a week. It's fine.
Speaker 2: No, it's not fine. Anya.
Speaker 3: A week is like an eternity social media to.
Speaker 4: Write that song, produce that song, mix it up song, and master that.
Speaker 3: It's it's insane. It's not fair. It's it's the way we consume things. It isn't fair. But you're it's you're You're not wrong to feel that way because it's it's kind of accurate that that is how fast things are are consumed now.
Speaker 2: Like do you.
Speaker 3: Are? You are? You're still in like the promo stage though, and still like in like the exciting like releasing and people are people like an album comes out, like a movie comes out. People see it and they're instantly like I love this movie, it's my favorite movie, or I didn't like the movie.
Speaker 2: I'll never see it again.
Speaker 3: Albums like I can listen to an album and I feel like anytime an album comes out, I go like, ah, it's okay, Like it's never instantly my favorite, because a song becomes your favorite upon the fifth to seventh.
Speaker 4: Listen, and that takes repetition.
Speaker 3: It takes repetition, and I think that's the only kind of medium that actually does take that long. Or maybe with a TV show, like it takes a couple episodes or whatever.
Speaker 2: But do you feel like that?
Speaker 1: No, I mean I didn't. I didn't like Mad Max Fury Road until I saw it the second But don't you.
Speaker 2: Isn't it true with a song?
Speaker 3: Like what do you guys think when you think about your favorite song? When did you know it was your favorite song?
Speaker 4: Yeah? With radio, when I was a DJ on the radio, I would be like, oh, I hate this song. I have to play it thirty times a day, and then within a week I'm like, this is my favorite song. And it's just because you're training your brain.
Speaker 3: It doesn't work that way with TV shows. If you watch you can watch an episode of a TV show. If I if you don't like it and I show it to you seven more times, you're not gonna like it more. Like I think that would be rare that you would like it more. Why is it that way with music?
Speaker 4: I don't know. It's a great question.
Speaker 1: Songs are only like a few minutes, so you can listen to it again and again. That's one theory.
Speaker 4: You start hearing more things upon many listens, you'll be like, oh, I didn't catch that before. Actually, when I watched movies a couple times, I'm like, oh, or Succession, Yeah, you would watch Succession be.
Speaker 3: Like, oh, I never caught that. He was alluding to the other thing and the scene.
Speaker 2: It's unconnected.
Speaker 3: But I will say that there I have known right away with the TV show, but it's my favorite. I'm right away with a movie when it's my favorite, like there's but with my favorite songs, it is very rare that I know right away.
Speaker 2: There's one song.
Speaker 3: There's two songs that I can think of that I was like, these are gonna be two of my favorite songs forever upon first listen. One of them is Still Summer by Matt Pond, which I heard in a cafe and I shazamed right away before I knew it was Matt Pond and was like, actually mad it was Matt Pond because at the time, you guys were not like talking and I really didn't like him. And I was like, I texted you, fuck Anya, he's really good that this song is like one of the best songs I've ever heard.
Speaker 2: And then the other song, no one will even believe me.
Speaker 4: Wait, but I'm like a hint.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't even know that you would.
Speaker 3: It wasn't of your generation like I think it was just a little bit older than me to get this. But let me give you the let me give you the lyrics, not song.
Speaker 2: I can't understand.
Speaker 3: Wait, wait, hold on, because I like the way that you're making me move. I like the way you're making me. Wait at the end of the night, when you make up your mind, you'll be coming on home with me, right girl? You know you want it, girl, you know I've got it. I can't wait to take get home. You know you got it tonight. I don't want to be rooted all yeah, girl.
Speaker 2: Don't be could do alone? My favorite part of the song.
Speaker 3: Can we do what we did last night again? Maybe you would not be bedfferent. Don't you think it's time we went a bit further?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah?
Speaker 3: Every night and we say goodbye? Can I keep looking in your h wondering why you and I have and hit it?
Speaker 2: Can we get it on?
Speaker 3: And then this is the best? This is the course? Can uh something? And what did all right think about? Making mom moved? And that I can't understand when I hold in my hand and you're holding my body tight. That little thing that when I heard that, I can't like. It felt like a ball following downstairs. Can understand when I'm with I was obsessed. I heard it in a Best Buy and I was like, what is this. It was Soul Decision. They only had one hit song, and that was one of my favorite songs instantly because of that little thing, and I just knew.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's why. Maybe it's because in songs, you you need something familiar that's slightly changed so that your brain is surprised by the musicality of it without being so off put that it's not like a pattern you recognize.
Speaker 2: Oh that's interesting, And so it.
Speaker 1: Takes a while for you to get used to hearing that new thing, which you wouldn't. You won't like a song if it's just so familiar you've heard it a million times.
Speaker 5: I remember in the early aughts, Yeah, I heard this shit is bananas Bee Ana Na Yes, and I was just like, this is a new cool cadence and it's like bringing up you know, high school bands and.
Speaker 4: Orchestras and like it had orchestral roles in it, and I was just like, this is cool. And then everybody started doing stuff like that and same with like.
Speaker 1: Same thing right now. Oh yeah, yeah, history repeats itself.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's fun when there are like new little trends that happen in music that are like probably old repeating.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: I loved you did an interview with Kate Walsh on Instagram Live that I was watching, and you were talking about how you're like you're on the road with me, so you listen to a lot of Taylor Swift, and how you would never think that on your Marina would be like listening to this album, you wouldn't think, oh, she's gotten a lot of inspiration from Taylor Swift. But it was one of like it did change kind of the way you approach writing or lyrics. And I just want you to expound on that, because I was fascinated by that, and I didn't follow up with you, like exactly what you meant by that?
Speaker 4: Oh cool, Yeah, I think I was like, I like that Taylor can be really specific about stuff. And then I started looking at my lyrics and I was like, I've always tried to be a little oblique or like if you figure it out, you know, and I don't, And so I wanted to kind of like Mayor I don't know, like meet her halfway or like go a little bit closer to that, like why don't I tell more personal stories? And I did, like in Nothing.
Speaker 3: I think it was was it just not the trend when you started in music, or it wasn't like the music that you liked, like you were really inspired by, like Liz Fair, it was like do you think ye, that's it?
Speaker 2: Like it would just like I.
Speaker 4: Was flying into Chicago at night watching the lake turn this guy into blue green smoke that song she has Stratford on Guy that I love, like I would have to pick that apart and like, wait, what does she mean? Okay, she's on an airplane. She's descending, they're about to land in Chicago. Okay, cool, Like I like figuring out what a song is about. I don't like when something's like and then I went to the store and then I at this. I don't want it to be too black and white, but it's just boring to me, or it's not like as poetic or artistic. I love it doesn't it's not like I like one or the other. But I just thought like I could be more vulnerable and that this album definitely is. It's like I wanted to write I would think like, oh, I had a fight with Matt, But I don't want to write that I had to fight with Matt. And then I'd be like, no, you should write exactly how you feel right now.
Speaker 3: Why wouldn't you want to like I don't relate to that. Why wouldn't you want to write about that?
Speaker 4: Because like, I wouldn't want to be I wouldn't want to write a lyric that's like I got in a fight with my boyfriend tonight, which I did not do that, but I did.
Speaker 3: Talk the lyric that you are like kind of alluding to I have tried to fix it before.
Speaker 4: I have tried to fix myself, straighten out the bumps and flat and war and bent, heal the parts that needed help. I've tried to fix myself, spent my whole life growing up, and yet here I am. I'm just a kid with one hundred miles to go till I get to where I need to get. In moments just like these, it feels like I left everything that I've ever learned behind. So it's kind of like capturing that feeling, like feeling dejected and like God, I don't know anything. I hope that comes across.
Speaker 3: It feels like introspective rather than blaming and like aggressive towards.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the persons like super specific. I mean, I hope it's a little poetic and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very poetic, absolutely, and you could you could have said, man, but what was better than that?
Speaker 3: I'm wondering though, like what why, what's the what's the fear of being less poetic? Not that I would want you to be, but like, what what is something like you just think it sounds like too immature?
Speaker 4: Maybe it doesn't interest me, interest you. I want to make something that interests me.
Speaker 2: Got it? Got it?
Speaker 1: That's the artist's answer. Yes, you're an artist.
Speaker 4: Like when I was making my first real major label record that was on Atlantic, I was really interested in rhythms. So there's a lot of like drum loops on that album. Like so I wasn't so interested in lyrics. I was making songs that are like then, like a little more like the ding Dings, you know, And that was interesting to me at the time. But as I've gotten older, you know, like I'm in a different phase of my life and I'm thinking a lot about like where am I in my life? Like so a lot of the record is just about existence and like we're in a different place now than I was in the early adds, Like I'm thinking about the planet and I'm thinking about like are we going to exist? And I'm thinking about that I didn't have children and I got married late in life, and like I want to make a record for someone else. That's like I have gotten married yet either, do I even need to? I don't know if I want to have kids, Like there are songs on here that talk about that too.
Speaker 3: You like made a record for yourself, like for yourself, which is always the place to write from as an artist. Probably is just you know, not giving people what they want and doing what you want and what interests you. But because it's hard though, because you listen to Taylor Swift, I'm sure and you're like, this is what's popular, this is what people want.
Speaker 2: I should like change to that.
Speaker 3: Whereas you probably found a way to like learn what instead of rejecting it and being like, oh god, this is what's in this is what I do.
Speaker 2: What's interesting about this?
Speaker 1: To me?
Speaker 3: Is there something interesting about this besciscifity of Olivia Rodber yougoa Taylor swift a chapel roone that like, did you were you able to find like what you liked about it as opposed to like, oh this is annoying and new.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I don't mind anything new almost. I mean, I mean maybe that's not true, but like you played me, what's the one about?
Speaker 2: Kid? You kid?
Speaker 4: You're on your own? Kid? You're on your own kid? Blew my mind because I was like, not only is this melodically really pretty? And that has a descending line? So you like you like that when you are yeah that part?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's what it's called a descending line.
Speaker 4: I think it kind of goes down. So does the paper cuts a thousand cuts?
Speaker 2: No no no, no, no no? And Betty and yeah I love it.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So what you're on your own? Kid? Does that kills me? Like you you talk about like somebody being kind makes you cry or somebody like talking about like what killed me? In that song is where she says I went to the party. Do this lyric about the.
Speaker 3: Better body I hosted parties?
Speaker 2: Uh sorry, stop buying body?
Speaker 3: I start, Yeah, like I got I'm so bad at coming up with her lyrics when I don't have the song in front of me. I hosted parties and starve my body like I would be saved by a perfect kiss. The jokes weren't funny. I took the money. My friends from home don't know what to say.
Speaker 4: I looked around my favorite Taylor's swift lyric like that is so revelatory, like she's calling herself out, like I took the money. I like, that's I don't know.
Speaker 2: Like to me, that's just brave to say.
Speaker 3: That's why I love. And we'll go to break after this. I love, and I want to talk more about this when we get back. I'll tell you what I love when we get back.
Speaker 2: Agay with this because we get it at break.
Speaker 3: What I was going to say before we went to break is that I loved and I've probably talked about it before. Matt Healy from the nineteen seventy five not to talk about someone. It has nothing to do with Taylor, but I was listening to him talk about one of my favorite songs, the birthday song.
Speaker 2: I think it's called and there was.
Speaker 3: It became one of my favorite songs, and then I found it a whole podcast where he was talking like for an hour about writing this one of my favorit songs, and that was also a song. The first time I heard it, I was like, I love this and one of the lyrics and it was like, I want to go somewhere I'll be recognized.
Speaker 2: Can we go?
Speaker 3: I want to go to a party where? Can we go somewhere that people will recognize me? And he said it's something like that, And he said in the interview about it that he wrote that lyric as kind of like a maybe a placeholder. I'm kind of paraphrasing, but he wrote it, and then he instantly was like, I want to take that out. That's so embarrassing, Like I can't write that in a song that's going to go out that I am a celebrity that wants to be recognized. And he said that whenever he has that reaction, he has to leave it in. He is forced to, like he cannot pull something because it's embarrassing or because he wants to look cool.
Speaker 2: And I really respect that kind of art form.
Speaker 3: I'm obsessed when people do something. I mean, that's why I like love comedy. It is because people say things that I'm like, oh my god, you're not supposed to say that, And like now people like me more because I'm saying this thing that I never thought i'd told anyone and is something that's so humiliating about myself, and I get to have I get to say how it's said, I get ownership of it.
Speaker 2: It's you know, I think that's really interesting.
Speaker 3: What's what's a lyric that comes to mind for you in this song that you were like, well, that's also.
Speaker 4: Why I became friends with you as I heard you on a podcast talking so openly about an eating disorder.
Speaker 3: And I was like, what, I never had one of those.
Speaker 4: I was driving around like I need to hear this. I can't believe someone's talking about stuff I've thought about and she's not ashamed at all. And then to become friends with you was even like I can't even believe this is happening like that, you know, I get to be friends with somebody that's like, no, of course, I'm not ashamed to order a salad the way I want to order a salad. I remember, I was right, here's so anything that you could do? That a lyric that I remember, Like I wrote London Blues, which is the closing song on.
Speaker 2: When we were on tour.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we were in London together, you mean missus Matt. I was missing Matt, and I was just like I was experiencing like jealousy or feeling threatened, like he was on tour and I was on tour, and we were like hemispheres away from each other in totally different time zones. And it's basically just about all of my fears of being abandoned like came up. And you know, I had been in a relationship where I'd been totally been lied to for many, many years and didn't know about it until the end, and so and you know, all this trust stuff started coming up. And I can't remember exactly if there's like a lyric specifically about that, but it's just basically about, like the line I love is. Ever since I learned that love could be forsaken, I've been letting go of anything worth taking. I won't be mistaken. So I stare at the moon and fight these London blues tonight. And it's just basically about, like, you know, trying to keep people at arm's length because I don't ever want to get hurt if I just keep it.
Speaker 3: You have trust issues, yes, yeah, which is kind of embarrassing to admit. At you know, like as a fully grown woman, yes, to admit you're still dealing with these kind of immature things that you acknowledge are like not like not helping you in life. Like you're admitting that you are struggling with stuff which you like. You literally can't not do that as an artist unless you're a rapper. I guess, like, I think a lot of hip hop is about like being braggadocious, not all of it, but like there is that that sometimes cannot have a vulnerability to it. But I'm I'm talking out of line because I don't listen to it enough rap to really know like that, but there was there is a genre of it. I think that is just all like I'm doing so well. That's why I really liked Taylor Tomlinson was on Trash Tuesday talking about Sabrina Carpenter and she was like, I mean it's great, but I just don't relate to anyone that confident, like that's like you should be so grateful to fuck me. Like I thought that was such. It was so such a great take on on Sabrina Carpenter's music of like why it's maybe not so really to some people, it's because this girl's just too confident.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 4: I remember years ago Kanye West called out all the indie rockers and he's like, this is what's wrong with you guys, is you don't have this confidence that we have.
Speaker 2: Is this thing sometimes?
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it's really really hard to write, or at least it was, I would say in the nineties and early two thousands, it was really hard to write as a Uh. I don't mean to sound like, oh, it's so hard to be white and indie rock, but like it if you started writing in a confident way, then it just didn't land right.
Speaker 3: It just sounded like you were a kud yeah, because it is kind of could to be confident. Yeah, but when you're in the pop world like Sabrina, especially now in twenty twenty four, like go for It, it's like.
Speaker 4: All girl power, like do it. I was just doing everything with a wink. Anyway, I was on stage this weekend and.
Speaker 3: Was just talking about how I masur rate or something that was just like it's part of my act, like and when on all audience is like my audience like it doesn't feel Oversharry, it feels like I don't even like I don't have to like steel myself to get into this like very graphic description of how I have.
Speaker 2: My most intimate alone moments.
Speaker 3: But then I had this moment this weekend where like people weren't really feeling it, and like it was like a it's a show I'll talk about when I have more perspective on it in years to come, but it was it was a set that like was not my favorite thing that I've ever done, and I can't wait to talk about it someday because it's going to be like a part of my origin story of whatever I become because it was so not fun. But but I was on stage like doing my act because I have nothing else to do, you know, Like I gotta just do my jokes. And that's one of my favorite jokes to do when I'm on stage performing for people who actually like me, and these people did not final thought, and so I'm talking about these people don't like me, and now I'm talking about how I masturbate and it's kind of graphic and over the top, and I was like, I can't but I feel so embarrassed. I've never once felt embarrassed by that joke. I've never once had the reaction that I think some people have of my material, which is like, how do you get up there and say that to people? And I guess now I know why. It's because usually people like it. People are like, I feel not judged. I feel that people are refreshed by if it's something that they would never do and never say and can't even imagine someone would do. At least they're laughing at, like, oh wow, I have a weird thing I do alone too. These people were like, we don't like you, we don't. We haven't liked anything you've said, and now you're being way too graphic and why would we We don't care about you, Why would we care about this thing that you think you're so quirky and interesting?
Speaker 2: It just was so fucking humiliating, and.
Speaker 3: I honestly it was right on the heat after that, and everyone everyone was sending me like going, you know, like every comedian this weekend was having having massive text threads about obviously Tony Hinchcliffe set at the Trump rally, and and my response to all of them was I had a worse set. I had a worse experience because it was I felt I felt more compassion for him than I think most people did. After his set, because I if I wouldn't have had that set, I think I would have had more of a cattiness about it and a more of like what was he? You know, like just a snarky opinion, but as a comedian that did that just hit the wrong tone for the thing that I was asked to do.
Speaker 2: Like I really felt it.
Speaker 3: I was really happy mine wasn't like televised or tweeted about, thank god, but it was really this moment of like, this is who humiliating?
Speaker 2: Like I it would.
Speaker 3: Be like, you know, singing one of your most vulnerable songs to a crowd of people who aren't listening, And I think, Anya, you've you've dealt with that before. I think as musicians, people talk over you guys way more than they do comedians. It's not like a common thing where I am like performing for people who are not listening and don't want me to keep going and want me to be done. And I think just growing up with a dad who performs, like every show I go to, people are talking the entire time he plays the entire time like it's not even like there's no it's not like people are like, wow, this is offensive.
Speaker 2: Some people are like shush.
Speaker 3: It's like we all agree we're going to talk the whole time, including me, Like because.
Speaker 4: He's doing covers, that's it's not fair, but that's what is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true, that's true. But even first, I think when I see singer songwriters at like bars or whatever, no, people are just talking. Yep, it's background music. It's that's the gig. But it was it was eye opening. But I had an epiphany after that set where I was like, I want to write a clean hour.
Speaker 2: I just need to for these gigs where I.
Speaker 3: Don't have to, like they don't get that, they don't get that intimate joke that I wrote that is like for people who actually like me, and if you don't like me, I'll just go in into my like safe set because that's all you deserve, and not that it would be like worse material, but it's like I don't want every joke I make to be this like really like like reading my diary, like you don't get a.
Speaker 1: Really good challenge though too, to do a yeah what happens, what happens?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well it's my next challenge.
Speaker 3: I decided, like I'm like, without question, I don't think it's I don't know if it's going to be my next special, but it's my when I start, because my next special is kind of like coming up sooner than I would need to prepare for Clean Special. But I'm also like, oh, that's that's what you got to do in this business. You can't just keep being the same thing over and over. You have to go, oh, here's a here's a way to market it. Nikki Glazer's putting out a whole clean special that you can watch with your family.
Speaker 4: Nick Blazer comes clean up with that. That's really good.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, I've heard that before. That's really really good. Yeah, Chris has been asked me to do it. I think Matt even said something about it too. And it's like just as a but it's like I just.
Speaker 2: Don't want to. I don't want to feel that way anymore.
Speaker 3: Where I was like, I just gave of myself and these people were just like disgusted by, not even disgusted, like just disinterested.
Speaker 2: And it feels really bad. It's so bad.
Speaker 4: I had that on Friday night at a show and I was all confident going out. It's opening up for Nikki, and this theater filled with two thousand people and then I start my song girl Shit, which is so quiet and intimate, and I just hadn't set it up properly and I just lost them, like within ten seconds. You can just hear like no, no, no. And then it's like a thousand people are just like can you pass me? Remember?
Speaker 1: Why were they so easily lost?
Speaker 4: They were drunk. They were still entering the theater, which I kind of love that, Like I love a challenge. I've played thousands of gigs like put me in a bar and grill, I'll figure it out, Like I pride myself on like being able to play through anything. I just didn't set it up right, and I should have been like, let's bail on this song and do something else. But I didn't bail. I was just like just keep playing it, just through it.
Speaker 3: But it just sucked.
Speaker 4: And I was thinking in that moment, I need to have quicker outs. I need to have a couple yeah, like more like upbeat songs, or I need to have like more exits.
Speaker 3: Show I had the same thing, like I think that after that show, I just was like, this cannot ever happen again. That was so deeply uncomfortable and not an experience. I would ever even wish on my worst enemy that I went through and I can't do that again to myself. I'm glad it happened for the sake of like, you know, all the tiktoks that come up, all the reels that come up that are like you about failure. I've been getting a lot of them because I guess my phone face, I'm like I need them.
Speaker 2: But like I don't know if you guys get a lot of that stuff.
Speaker 3: But like how Kobe talking about like if he's not failing, he is not interested in like the that's not a process he's interested in, like you gotta fail in order to be better. And I was talking to my mom about this set last night when she drove me home, and I was kind of She was like, you need to just get over it, you know, like we got to get over it.
Speaker 2: You're moving on.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, I am, I'm you asked me how it went. I have to tell you, and I'm grateful that it won't ever happen again.
Speaker 2: I will never.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's really hard get over it.
Speaker 3: Well, she was so dismayed, like for her to hear her daughter who she was like, your dad and I when we when you told us about that, we all day yesterday. We just couldn't get over it. We were so upset for you. And it was really sweet because they just were like, you just don't want your daughter. I like felt for them, like I was like, oh, I told them, like how like you don't want your daughter to be embarrassed for an hour on stage? Like it's not just like ten minutes of like duh, that felt weird, Like think of being embarrassed for an hour, like straight like have it tripping over yourself in front of everyone for an hour.
Speaker 2: It's like tumbling downstairs. Think it's the last time you fell in the crowd.
Speaker 3: Now just keep picture of falling for an hour and not having to show that you're falling, Like it's like that's what it felt like, and it's and so I think my mom was just trying to like help herself get over it. She's like, we're just moving on from this, like it's not gonna happen. And I'm like, it won't happen again, Like I will never and I will always be prepared for something like that in the future, or I won't do a gig like that in the future. Like one or the other. But it just it did remind me though that you need you need to fail.
Speaker 2: You so true.
Speaker 4: You have to be grateful for these failures because they make you better. Like I I killed it the night after I bombed because I was so furious at myself and I was like, I will not bomb again. And I had two great shows. Even Matt was like, that was one of the best shows I've seen you do like the second night because I was so pissed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it lights a fire, like I gotta get on stage again.
Speaker 2: Was the last show I did. I was like, damn it because everyone goes too, you know.
Speaker 3: I was with my friend and he's like, you're gonna be over this in twenty four hours, and I was like, I'm not until the next show I do. It's not I'm not gonna shake this off.
Speaker 4: And guys, there's the Funny Bone tonight.
Speaker 3: I should run out and get another set. I just I just want to. I want to rest for a couple of days.
Speaker 2: I thank you. I should You're not wrong.
Speaker 3: I should do an Oh my dad actually is performing tonight at the Pasta House.
Speaker 2: I might just like, you should buy a song with them? May you do a song. I gotta cut my nails though to do a song.
Speaker 3: Okay, we're gonna have one more episode with On Your Marina tomorrow you uh, you know we will. We're about to record it, so it'll be then extension of this conversation. I hope you are there for it tomorrow on the podcast. Thank you for listening today. Check out On your Marina. She has a new album Asteroid. You can get the girl Shit shirt that I have that I love so much, and you can order that at on your Marina dot com. It says on your Mana on the back, it's this girl Shit on the front. It's so fucking cute, so stylish. Really recommend if you want a new shirt in your life that people will love and comment on and you look super cute and girl shit on your Marina dot com. And we'll be back tomorrow with more episodes with with another episode with Anya, Don't.
Speaker 2: Bika, and Bye.
Speaker 3: The Nicki Glazer Podcast is a production by Will Ferrell's Big Money Players and iHeart Podcasts. Created and hosted by me Nicki Glazer, co hosted by Brian Frangie. Executive produced by Will Ferrell, Hans Sonny and Noah avior edited it engineered by Lean and Loaf, video production Mark Canton and music by Anya Marina. You can now watch full episodes of the Nicki Glazer podcast on YouTube, follow at Nicki Glazer pod and subscribe to our channel