Speaker 1: This is live coverage of twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp or the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to Drink, Easy to enjoy, and brought to you in part by your neighborhood Ford Store Creator, Pittsburgh Community Food Bank, First National Bank, Let's Get Started Member FDIC West Shore Home Remodeling Reimagine by Leecom Digital, Donz Appliances Visit Donzappliances dot Com guaranteed lowest prices, free next day delivery, CGR Wholesale and by Hoss's Steak and Seahouse. Hass Is is Hospitality, Good Afternoon, Stealer Nation.
Speaker 2: It is the Drive on location live from St. Vincent College, Wes Shuler, Matt Williamson, all part of our ongoing training camp coverage here on your twenty four to seven home of the Black and of the Gold, Happy Sunday here on the program, Matt, and what is our penn ultimate show of this twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how about that training camp.
Speaker 2: We have got three hours with you today, three hours with you tomorrow, and then that's a bow on our public portion of what we do out here. The team will have like a walkthrough type thing on Tuesday here before.
Speaker 3: Some media stuff, right, and I think.
Speaker 2: Some media stuff tomorrow are on Tuesday. Pardon me, But in terms of practices today, in the books, tomorrow the last one in terms of the public viewership, and we are really down the home stretch here.
Speaker 3: Matt, Yeah, we are. And it's been a good experience as usual, and I'm also ready to wrap it up as usual and get into real games, you know, more consistently and all those things. But I feel like we've learned a lot. Practice was I had to leave practice about ten or fifteen minutes earlier today, but just chat with people at lunch, they said it got really physical at the end. And they also said, I don't think that's a coincidence with the Landon Roberts first practice with the team, And maybe he didn't get the memo that we don't hit around here anymore. Yeah, that's a good point.
Speaker 2: Maybe he came in thinking that this was still the two years ago.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, it's just a lot of that. Yeah, like saw we do it in La Trobe, you know, so set the towne. But now it looked like a decent practice. Majority of it was teaching stuff and walk through ish stuff and all that good stuff as well. But team seems, you know, knock on wood, relatively healthy. Max of Honachur wasn't out there today. I didn't love seeing that, you know, because coach McCarthy had said a while back that they were shooting for last Monday. I'm not sure how to take that, but I'm sure they are siding on the side of precaution for all these guys, especially the high value dudes like a Han.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's you know, it's I shouldn't say funny, but it's coincidence.
Speaker 3: Matt.
Speaker 2: We actually got a few tweets about that from people right from people earlier today, essentially like, hey, is it time to start worrying about Max yet?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And I don't know if the answer is yes or no. I do know though, that the longer this plays out, the more difficult it's going to be for him to potentially be the Steelers starting right tackle on Day one.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then once you get into the core to the regular season, I think it becomes even harder to usurp somebody on the depth chart.
Speaker 3: Oh that question.
Speaker 2: Once you're in games, and as you've outlined, you really only have kind of two you and I have talked this to death in the past, but there's way less time in the week than people think.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, you've got really grooming guys and making roster, you know, making changes.
Speaker 2: You've got really kind of two full practices in a week and that's about it, you know, Wednesday and Thursday, and yeah, you do some stuff on Friday and things like that, but the practices in season. Obviously, you can only have so many padded practices per year. I think it's like seventeen or something like that. And so I don't know what to think of Max for this injury as it relates to the long term, or what it means for his entire year anything like that. But I do know that the longer and longer we see him on the sidelines, the harder and harder it's going to be for him to get on the field in the regular season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and again, up until now, I've kind of looked at it like, I'm not worried. They're just signing for coffin, you know, and there were some off days here and they too, and you know, no reason to push him. Blah blah blah. I just kind of thought today after just chatting with folks at Sharkey's last night. It was like, I bet today he's back at it and he comes out and he's just you know, he's got a dozen of pads on, just has jersey on. I'm like, eh, I guess I'm starting to worry just a smidge, you know, and I want to, but I'm just thought to be done by now. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Same here, And you know again, Mike McCarthy kind of told us last week that he was hopeful he'd be back at practice on Monday, right, and this is Sunday. It's been almost a week later, and we still haven't seen.
Speaker 3: That's why coaches don't put tact. That's why you say that was kind of a rookie mistake by coach McCarthy. I think I think you just say day to day or you know, soon a week or two, or something a little more vague. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But obviously that that continues to be a storyline that we will monitor and keep an eye on, and if there are any updates or new news around that, of course, we will make sure to share it and discuss it with you. But as Matt mentioned, physical more physical practice today, pretty fortunate inter some weather elements.
Speaker 3: Matt, they had a I thought, for sure we're getting rained out today.
Speaker 2: For sure. Yeah, when I woke up this morning, and it's funny, this is kind of what I do during training camp time. You wake up and you kind of check the weather right.
Speaker 3: Away, and especial if you're at home, especially when should I leave the house to get hear and exactly right.
Speaker 2: And I went home last night and back today. I did just a day trip yesterday, and and so first thing I do when I wake up this morning is check that weather. And I'm like, oh man, I don't know if there's I don't know if there's gonna be public practice.
Speaker 3: And then we were talking about last night sharky just like there's there's no way. It looks like a huge storm's coming the whole time.
Speaker 2: And then funny enough, about twenty minutes after that, once again, you text myself and Bob Labriola in a group chat and you're like, hey, Labs, what's the word we get we getting practice in here today or what?
Speaker 3: Because he's in here doing the morning show and then you know he's gonna be dowed in for all the practice stuff. So he's the guy that talked to yes.
Speaker 2: And they did end up getting practice in a little more physical, Like Matt said, some some pushing and some shoving and some some exchange words at the end of practice. And its funny, as you mentioned, Elannon Roberts was in the all that some of him and Mason McCormick some of those competitive juices going.
Speaker 3: On, and it's I'm fine with it.
Speaker 2: I'm fine with it too. In fact, I think you need there's a very fine line between fights and just angst, you know, Yeah, and as long as you're just on the side of angst in competition, and anyone who's ever played a sport knows sometimes you just lose your head for a moment and it's not a big deal. You move on, next play, next series, next rep, whatever, and it's no big deal as long as it stays on that side and doesn't get to the again, that very clear fine line that we all know is taking things too far. I'm fine with it too, especially in what's been certainly a tamer training camp to this point than we've seen in past years.
Speaker 3: And pushing and shoving and things. I mean, how many guys have really gotten injured on a practice field, you know, as long as you don't punch them on the face mask and break your hands. Yeah, yeah, yeah, something insane.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it was. It seemed to just be some you know, some exchanging of words and a little pushing and shoving. It was funny, though, Matt, because Alanna Roberts and Mason McCormick I had one of those oh I've seen this fish before type moments where I feel like those two, you know, when Mason was breaking into the league, those two both tone setters. That's a very good way to put it. It's nothing personal, they just that's the way they play the game.
Speaker 3: Atlanta robertson the reason they're here exactly.
Speaker 2: You need those kind of guys on your team. Alana Roberts ain't gonna take any crap from anybody, and I'll let you know about it. Mason McCormick ain't gonna take any crap from anybody. He'll let you know about it. And uh yeah, a little little little, you know, a little juice flying around at the at the end of practice here today on this Sunday, because remember Matt, I told people yesterday, never miss a Sunday show.
Speaker 3: You never know, you never know.
Speaker 2: Sure enough, some sparks flying in practice today, but able to get that work in and tomorrow, Matt last practice that will have a chance you and I to see these guys really other than the preseason games the rest of the way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, for our purpose is yours and I mine, we're not gonna go to every practice during the season or the stuff on the south side, So we're gonna see tomorrow and then basically games from there and then kind of rely on some people we know for some stuff here and there. But we're kind of in the same boat as our listeners in terms of what we're exposed to after tomorrow. Now, we could go down to practice on a Wednesday if we wanted, but we're recording the drive and doing other things, you know, right, Yes.
Speaker 2: And especially once we get into the season, there's not much you're allowed to talk about for practice either, right right, there's there's about the first ten to fifteen minutes that is u that's you know, considered kind of the portion where you can talk about it and take pictures and videos and all those things if you're if you're media members. So yeah, we are. We are getting close to uh to the big thing here, and of course those final preseason games and the regular season opener, which is now less than a month away. One last thing that I wanted to note here is we kind of get going and uh just recaping some of the things that went on earlier. Roger Jones. Today we saw him taking second team right tackle reps. Yeah yeah, place a Maxie Haunt a chort And that was something you and I had kind of and a lot of people have asked us about a lot of people have discussed are we going to see him or they do they just want him to be the backup left tackle.
Speaker 3: To way what his role would be from day one a camp.
Speaker 2: Well, we see him on both sides of the line, left tackle, right tackle. Could we potentially see any of Roger Jones at guard? Well, today we got the first look at him in a different role. He kind of slid in for Maxi honatch or as the second team right tackle. To me, I think that's a good sign.
Speaker 3: I think I thought so.
Speaker 2: The more that they and we know he's played left side, he's played right side, The more that you know they can do that with him, gives him a better shot to potentially see the field and have some impact on the team this year.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think in the ideal world, but it never works this way. Is Fileton, who is a star left tackle that plays seventeen plus games, Max is healthy, tomorrow, looks great, Is looks like the next great one. Can't keep him out of the lineup. He's a day one starter. And then Cooks and Cook and Jones both have shown that they can play left and right. You know, so if anything needs you know, addressed, or you know, those guys are banged up or not playing up to snuff, you can pick between the two.
Speaker 2: Sure can, sure can.
Speaker 3: Not so bad?
Speaker 2: Not so bad? Uh, And good to see Broderick, you know, with a with a little bit of an opportunity and moving over back over to the right side in the past. And we'll continue to kind of monitor all that for you as we roll along.
Speaker 3: One thing that we were chatting about last night and total coincidence, Labs brought it up to me too while we were watching practice. I think I would not play Rudolph or Rogers the rest of the preseason.
Speaker 2: I mean, give will a start.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought the same thing. I'll give them one one starts the next game, one starts the next, the other one the other. The other one takes over at halftime. I want to see you guys. I want them to take every rep. Yeah, I mean it's on a knockout. It's actually a compliment to Rudolph that I know what you are and I like it. You know, I don't need you out there.
Speaker 2: There is you know, there is the part of me, Matt that's like, yeah, this is the only time makes it's going to really get any work though.
Speaker 3: Right, He's probably like, I'd like to play.
Speaker 2: If you are keeping them around, you'd like to keep him fresh and get as many reps as possible. But I also would kind of revert back to and it's same church, different view of what we would say about Aaron Rodgers. If Mason Rudolph plays one or two series in each of the next two preseason games, is that really going to tip the scales?
Speaker 3: If he has that change your grade on him or your opinion he has to play.
Speaker 2: A second half in week seven, or he has to start a game in week.
Speaker 3: Fourteen, or the Thank goodness I got that.
Speaker 2: I was going to say, are the extra fifteen preseason snaps are really going to make a difference.
Speaker 3: In the sixth rows? Yeah? I tend to think not. I tend to think not right, would he be rustier and if he go in that Week six game, probably if he's.
Speaker 2: In his third year in the league, I'd be singing a different tune.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's kind of past that.
Speaker 2: I'm with you on that, I think.
Speaker 3: I amagine I want those other guys get every rep they can get.
Speaker 2: I think I'm at that point now too. Let's see as much as we can of those guys. Let's see them both kind of with a half.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, one gets to start your squad.
Speaker 2: One gets to start the game, one gets to start the second half. And then maybe you swap it vice versa.
Speaker 3: The yeah, one takes snaps from Fraser one year one game and one does in the next. You know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I mean that would also from our standpoint, Matt be best for business, I think, so to see to see as much of those two young quarterbacks as possible. Yes, I hear our old friends Stan Savage's voice in the back of my head where he's saying, always root for the story. And I don't mean I mean this is a compliment to Mason Rudolph. And again, Mason Rudolf is not the story. Dru Aller and Will Howard are the story.
Speaker 3: So people want to talk about that's what people want to see. That's not why the Steelers would do it, but it would root for the story.
Speaker 2: It would absolutely be good for the story, good for the content. And uh, you know what, it was funny like Max and I were talking about this on Thursday night. Everyone knows how preseason games work, right, I'd say the crowds are usually about eighty percent full. It's not a packed house, but it's a it's a good crowd, you know, I'd say a.
Speaker 3: Lot more kids, and exactly right, whether it's better people hanging.
Speaker 2: Around the concourse and doing all the experienced stuff, not necessarily glued to their seat for every action of the game. But you know, the preseason games, they're they're well attended, but not packed sold out to the gills. And then usually at the start of the third, you know, at halftime you can notice some people have left, and then by the then by the end of the especially right, it's because you know, especially with the Steelers these last couple of years, I feel like it's been years, Matt since the Steelers about a weekend preseason game. They are always on Thursdays and Fridays. Yeah, and I get it because people are gonna watch and put the Steelers in primetime because they're a massive brand. Makes a ton of sense usually with that too. So you see some filter out at halftime, and then around the end of the third quarter, everyone's kind of like, all right, it's a I don't know any of these guys that are left in the game. Yeah, you know, I'm getting out of here. I gotta be at work in ten hours or whatever the case may be. Let's let's get home and get to bed and you know, and live to fight another day here. Man. That was not the case on Thursday because everyone was hanging around to watch Will Howard, everyone was hanging around to watch Drew Aller, and Max was you know, Max had to drive back here to Latroll. Yes, Max Starks. Of course I should have referenced that you're right now.
Speaker 3: We got a honchour in the building.
Speaker 2: We were just talking about it, Max Starks and I I was kind of laughing at him because down the stretch of the fourth quarter we're going to commercial break, and every time Max is like, come on, people, get out of here, like I don't want to have to fight. He's like, I've got like an eighty minute drive to get back to the campus. He's like, I don't have to sit in traffic, and I'm like, Max, this is gonna be the case. Man, people want to watch will people want to watch Drew And that will certainly be the case for these next two preseason games.
Speaker 3: I think that's one hundred percent true. And I also think it's a testament to Omar in the organization for building a deeper team, because more than any other year, when the fourth quarter rules around, I felt like I had a pretty good handle on just about everybody out there, as opposed to why even bother putting that guy out there, he's a lawyer, he's a ditch digger or whatever you know. I mean, but I felt like the prominent members of the fourth quarter Pittsburgh Steelers were guys in the mix. Yeah yeah, yeah, right.
Speaker 2: Some offensive linemen who are fighting for those.
Speaker 3: Last few spots. I mean, even a dress schools and those type of dudes, they've at least had a career, you know.
Speaker 2: It's it's it's a good point by you. And obviously Friday night, we are what now about five days away from getting another opportunity to uh to see the Steelers in game action as the New York Jets will will roll into town, the second of Aaron Rodgers former teams that are on the preseason home slate for the Steelers, And they could be.
Speaker 3: Kind of entertaining too, because they've had a lot of draft picks and you.
Speaker 2: Know, absolutely, I would imagine we're not going to.
Speaker 3: Sit everybody here. You know, they are trying to build something like.
Speaker 2: I don't think we'll see much of Tomrio Davis and micka Fitzpatrick and or maybe he plays a series like Jordan Love did, but that's.
Speaker 3: I would think, like Omar Cooper plays a lot guys like that.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, yeah, and so that could that could be a lot of fun. And then obviously that final preseason game up in Buffalo, which I think I'm looking forward to more than any other preseason game in my life. That's just because I want to see this day. Absolutely, I'm a dork like that, And I've told you before, I used to always, you know, i'd kind of be jealous of like Dale and Labs and Pursuda and they would talk about you know, I saw the Atlanta Falcons play at the Georgia Dome and then the Mercedes Benz and I saw the Colts play at the RCAA Dome, and then Lucas Oil and I saw the Browns play at Municipal Stadium, and then this is gonna be my first opportunity to see a same NFL team in a second stadium.
Speaker 3: I see you're saying, yeah, I mean, I think Dale even said he's like, I saw the Titans the one year they were at that like soccer stadium when they moved to Tennessee, like a year early.
Speaker 2: Almost, you know, yep, exactly right, and so.
Speaker 3: He saw that organization like four buildings. This yeah, a right.
Speaker 2: Imagine like imagine how they probably all saw the Chargers in a bunch of different locations. Raiders Raiders. Yeah, you know, Chargers were in San Diego and then they were in a soccer stadium and then they were in Sofi. Raiders is another great call by you. So yeah, that Bill's game will be my first in my in my twelfth This is my twelfth season working in the NFL if you count the three that I did for the Eagles before my my ninth year with the Steelers, and it'll be the first time I've ever been in a new stadium for a same team. That I had already been in their previous barn, and so I am looking forward.
Speaker 3: To I heard mixed reviews about that stadium, by the way.
Speaker 2: Same here, Same here. I'm gonna I'll walk around and I'll get the scoop.
Speaker 3: For Yeah, I'm sure you'll be on top of it, but I guess there was one event there or something people weren't throwed with it.
Speaker 2: I also, Matt will much rather prefer going to Buffalo in August than like December and January, where we've always gone there in the past. A little bit of a little bit of a.
Speaker 3: Different gy ess. It wouldn't break my heart there to go there in the second round of the playoffs or the AFC Championship game.
Speaker 2: I'll allow it. I'll allow it. Certainly. We'll get there twice this year and see how they've improved the stadium throughout the course of the year. We've got plenty to get to. Today as we roll along, just getting started, we are going to talk some more about some guys on this roster we're gonna have. It's been a few days since we've done some fantasy football conversation. We'll do that, and of course, Matt, as people know, at five o'clock to kick off our bonus hour, we will hit the tweets so you get your questions comming.
Speaker 3: Yeah, keep it comings and reactions.
Speaker 2: It's been great all off season, all camp. You all have been amazing keeping those tweets rolling in. We appreciate it. It's a easy segment that we can all steal from you all just answering some questions.
Speaker 3: But like interacting to you know me too, and you all do.
Speaker 2: A good job of asking questions and that's why we keep doing it. So at Wesley Yuler at Williamson, NFL, if you want to get involved, there plenty of ground to cover. As Matt the grounds crew is pulling out this massive tart because it is.
Speaker 3: I've been watching this. This is an endeavor, man.
Speaker 2: It is supposed to rain here this afternoon and evening. I think pretty heavy, like you and I by the time we get out there.
Speaker 3: They don't always tarp the field like Labs was telling me about this today. Is like they're tarping it because McCarthy really wanted to. They tarped it last night because McCarthy really wanted to get a full practice in, and it looks like they're about to do it again, meaning they're gonna do everything possible to make sure they get work done on this field tomorrow.
Speaker 2: And it is supposed to It's a lot of work.
Speaker 3: Though I don't envy this career.
Speaker 2: We're in two, three, four, five, six, seven, Eight different guys down here trying to get this massive tarp spread across the field.
Speaker 3: And three pretty significant devices in terms of like you know, big artillery to help move these things around too.
Speaker 2: I said, eight guys, there's nine down there.
Speaker 3: Actually it's all just manpower, dragons, giant thing right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, mayo get some of these offensive linemen out here to pull this there you go. It'll be like the old days that you have touching Wolf for up here wolf. They'd be like back in our day.
Speaker 3: Chuckle made us do the tar, broke us up early and there woke us up at.
Speaker 2: Six am and said, you're on tarp, dude, Yes, as it is supposed to. Uh, it is supposed to rain some cats and dogs here this evening and will trow I believe, And so getting that tarp out there, hopefully last day of.
Speaker 3: Public mainly do the warm field though, right, I would think so, I would think. So I got here before it was. It was untarped when I got here today. I'm trying to look around and I I mean there is something over here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're right, there is another tarp over here. Well, hey, folks, guess.
Speaker 3: What, Well, we'll be on top of it.
Speaker 2: You don't have to You'll have to hang around to find out here as we roll along for the next three hours, Matt and I are with you until six o'clock. It's all part of our ongoing training camp coverage. It's the Drive Steelers NSSION Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is live coverage of twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp on the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to drink, Easy to enjoy, and brought to you in part by Pennsylvania One Call Systems Dial eight one one before You dig SNT Bank People Forward Banking by Kalucy Chevrolet, serving the Pittsburgh area for over one hundred and eight years. Clearview Federal Credit Union. For every touchdown the Black and Gold Score in twenty twenty six, Clearview will donate five hundred dollars to the Light of Life Mission. Visit CLEARVIEWFCU dot org and buy Iron Workers Local Union number three. We don't go to the office, We build it.
Speaker 2: Tell you what, Matt, the uh intrepid grounds crew here, man, they might need this entire three hour show that we're doing to get this field covered with the tar.
Speaker 3: It's like a big no. It looks like it like you mentioned before, been on the air. It looks like it got put away fast and like balled up. It's muddy.
Speaker 2: Yeah here in the corner.
Speaker 3: I mean they're using a tractor to like move it a little bit, and they know a thousand times better than me. But I'm like, isn't that a great way to put a hole in? Tar?
Speaker 2: Seems like a pretty heavy duty tarp though to be fair too.
Speaker 3: Oh, no doubt. I'm sure it's the best ones you.
Speaker 2: Can buy, like what you and I get it loas No, but.
Speaker 3: There's some bickering amongst the crowd, you know, the crew here literally they can tell. They're all like, hey, there's dissension. Yeah, it's been camp for a long time too. They might be uh getting a little more. This might be the most physical practice for them to.
Speaker 2: Home stretch for the grounds crew. Right here comes backs on backers.
Speaker 3: They're all looking at each other like I've seen enough of you. I need another team to hit.
Speaker 2: Because there are another grounds crew I can fight for a few minutes. Matt, I wanted to run some names past you as we get towards the end of the public portion of training camp. Here we are obviously a couple of weeks away from initial fifty three man rosters. I want to I'm gonna throw I'm gonna lob at you some names, Okay, and you tell me if they should be calm, concerned, worried, or panicked about their roster status.
Speaker 3: Concerned, worried, panic, Okay, get it. Yep.
Speaker 2: Let's start with, uh, some couple of low hanging fruit ones.
Speaker 3: Caleb Johnson panicked. Yeah, I think that they're Oh. I mean I think if if Carolina Panthers said we'll give you a seventh round pick for him right now, I think you take it. Yeah. That's like I've seen enough.
Speaker 2: Like many Pittsburgher's were setting you south.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, I think I don't know if you could even get a pick out of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm with you on that one.
Speaker 3: Now. Would have to really have liked them coming out of Iowa, and.
Speaker 2: Who knows, maybe that could all Maybe after Friday night's preseason game, Matt and I could be singing a different tone.
Speaker 3: But if they're not gonna give them snaps, if they're not even wasting the time, if they feel it's a waste of time, give them snaps. To me, that was really telling. I thought he would lead the team in rushing for sure.
Speaker 2: I did too. If you would ask me to put a you know, a coin down on which stealers running back would have the most rushing yards in the preseason, might I might have thought about Lou Nichols Just yeah, a lot of work in the second half, and.
Speaker 3: He kind of always does, always does.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I thought with Caleb Johnson would have been right there in that conversation.
Speaker 3: Yeah again, I think that tells a lot of what they think of him.
Speaker 2: Let's stay in the backfield, although we don't know if that's where he's going to be exclusively, but that's where we saw him Thursday night against.
Speaker 3: The Cart's getting some attention over here. Oh no, I think one. I think one only covers the fifty of the end zone, the other one together one. OK. See, that's what tar is supposed to look like.
Speaker 2: It's it's all folded up it's not that muddy.
Speaker 3: It's not a knot. It's like the other one though, I write, is like when my wife puts the hose away, well, and she doesn't put it away, she takes it all out and then throws it in a ball in the garage. And then the next person me ninety nine percent of the time, goes to get the hose and it's like in knots and it's a mess. Ye's cat out here too? Should he tell you? She's like, I'm not putting it back.
Speaker 2: It's like my wife, Morgan with the Christmas decorations every year.
Speaker 3: It's like it happened if I put the Christmas decorations away.
Speaker 2: Every year, it's like, honey, can you go get the Christmas stuff up in the attic? And it's it looks like you with your mustard on your sandwiches right everywhere. Lights are here and everything's tangled and nothing's in the box. I'm like, sweetheart, what are we doing it? What are we doing?
Speaker 3: Yes, that's what it looks like if I put the Christmas decorations.
Speaker 2: It's hilarious. So to the left we have the hose. When Matt winds it up. To the right, we have the hose when when our wives just leave them in a crumpled mess? What about eli Hyde and Reich?
Speaker 3: Oh? What were the over them? Again?
Speaker 2: Calm? Concerned? Worried or panic worried? Okay, worried.
Speaker 3: I think he'll be a Pittsburgh Steeler. I can't see any reason why he wouldn't want to resign on the practice squad. I want to see him here next year. You know, I'm gonna say that probably ten times in this exercise. I just don't know what he where he fits in for the final roster week one. The fact that he's only gone to the run back meeting room and on Thursday was the first time I've ever seen him take like real running back carries in his life. I don't know how you can count him for that position unless he's the best, like he's better than Scornic on special games or something. That just can't not have him on special teams.
Speaker 2: Again, this is another one that could change Friday. Maybe they line him up in the slot and we see him do some stuff there and we start to change our tune.
Speaker 3: But for now, but even the receiver rooms are pretty fools. I mean, if he was the entire offense mat Yeah, yeah, there's not many spots.
Speaker 2: You look at the offensive line and you're like, man, we're probably gonna have to cut or practice squad a good player or two. You look at the quarterbacks and you're like, yeah, we could keep four. You look at the wide receivers, Yeah we could keep six. You look at the running backs, Yeah we could keep four or five.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're just there's I mean, in terms of running backs, he's six. In terms of receivers, if he would be good and he hasn't made the switch, you'd be seven.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm with you in the sense of I don't think he's going anywhere.
Speaker 3: No, I think he could be here next year.
Speaker 2: In terms in terms of his uh, his chances for that initial fifty three, I think it is time to get a little worried. Let's go another last low hanging fruit one. Matt Malik Harrison.
Speaker 3: Panicked worried to panicked.
Speaker 2: Yeah, especially when you considered at least he has.
Speaker 3: A body of work where Eli doesn't. Caleb doesn't that. Hey, I've proven that I am an NFL player. He'd be probably panicked about being a Steeler.
Speaker 2: Well, that's true. I think he'll get a show.
Speaker 3: I think he'll be a football player this year and get on a fifty three.
Speaker 2: Especially when you consider the Steelers could save almost five million. I think that's about the number against the cat by releasing him.
Speaker 3: And so he's gonna lose all ties of course.
Speaker 2: In the obvious recent edition of one of Landon Roberts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they're spending money on Benton and hopefully Border and you know, maybe Anderson.
Speaker 2: Speaking of Matt you know, saying that you're gonna have to part ways with at least one, maybe two you know, talented offensive lineman. What about Ryan McCullum worried? I think that's fair. I will say center only, but he played a little guard on Thursday night.
Speaker 3: He has a little which which But like I think Hoffman's better at both same, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: And and you've got Jennings Dunker, and you've got Spencer Anderson.
Speaker 3: Yeah, got McCormick and Yeah, again, I wouldn't mind bringing them back to camp next year. There's probably teams in the league where he could be your number two center and emergency guard. But I think that Hoffman signing, is he hurt him bad?
Speaker 2: Is he the type that you would like to try and keep on a practice squad.
Speaker 3: I suppose, but there's just not not many things that can There's not a great path for him to actually put a helmet on and get dirty for.
Speaker 2: Sixty and you but you know I and you know I hate saying this too, my guy Zach Frasier, But even if Fraser were to pick up an injury and he's gonna be out for three weeks or whatever, they'd probably go to the center.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, I mean, so he almost needs two guys to get hurt to be really relevant. Just doesn't add up.
Speaker 2: I am with you on that one. A name that I don't even know if we've mentioned yet this camp, Matt, what about Sebastian Castro Worried?
Speaker 3: He screams practice squad to me? Unless you he's special game. That's an asterisk for this entire conversation is I know he's gotten a lot of special teams work. I'm not gonna pretend like he's I know, if he's good or bad at it. I mean, I assume he's decent or they wouldn't keep trotting him out there. But I mean I think he's the fifth safety at best. Yes, Yeah, I mean he is probably the fifth safety at best.
Speaker 2: And you already seemingly are going to have a couple of those guys on the roster. Who you want is your core kind of special teams guys, And I just don't know if there's enough, And.
Speaker 3: I think it'll be short at corner, especially with Ramsey's ability to play both. I don't think you would be like, we'll keep one less corner to keep Castro. No, way a.
Speaker 2: Couple of defensive linemen to round out this exercise, Matt, let's start with Azase Autumnwayo.
Speaker 3: What was the second category? Calm, concerned, worried, panicked, concerned? This is deep, ye, I mean if they chose Lowry over him, Harman Rubio Rubio, Yeah, I mean Ruby Rubio is a little different because he's a nose and Ona Wayne Woe is definitely more of an end and athletes. But I think the organization's high on him.
Speaker 2: Dean Lowry worried.
Speaker 3: I still think he's okay. He's another one kind of like Harrison, Like, I bet he's on a fifty three this year.
Speaker 2: If you had to, if you had to dress him in week seven.
Speaker 3: No, I don't think he's gonna be or anything. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean some of those dudes I've always talked about like a baseball thing, like I can bring this dude out in middle relief and huliat innings for me when my starter goes down, but lowry, warmly louder milk. Their era is higher than I want, you know what I mean, Like and then don't get the big strikeout for you, you know, get that big double play or they can only face left easy. And I don't know, I'm stretching on my baseball knowledge, which isn't much. I mean, I'd much rather throw out Joseph Day to be my inning eater, you know, who makes plays and is harder to ball.
Speaker 2: Last one on the defensive line, Matt. What about Logan Lee another guy that we haven't seen or really.
Speaker 3: I went to IR. I think that season ending he buys he so I assume he'll be back here next year. Gets a free ride on IR, but still highly worried.
Speaker 2: But the next year you better Yeah.
Speaker 3: Year three, and what do we got? What do we think differently than the day we drafted you? If anything, you probably stock went down since that day, you would hope when you drafted him. Now it's like, and he's been here for a while and has done much.
Speaker 2: And then one more Matt that I want to throw at you here before we go to break. And with the emergence of what we saw in jam and Davis on Thursday night, what about Jack Sawyer?
Speaker 3: I would say calm, but I almost went concerned.
Speaker 2: I think I think it's clearly what you should be worried or panicked. But yeah, I don't think it's guaranteed either.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's guaranteed because part of it, this is kind of a deeper converse, is how much do they want to jump into this three outside linebacker her big package, because I think Davis can be a facsimile of herbig. Now, if Herbig were to get hurt, would you just scrap the whole thing?
Speaker 2: Probably?
Speaker 3: Probably, you know That's my point, Like, you're only doing it to get your best eleven out there, and Davis is never going to be your best eleven. But he could do some of that off the ball, move around attacking type things that they planned to use herbig for. But it's kind of like the sixth offensive lineman thing last year. If Anderson would have got hurt, I think they would have found a different sixth offensive lineman. But it's kind of the opposite of that actually. But if herbig were to get hurt, they'll just scrap it. I just think they're not going to do the package at all. The only the package only exists to get him.
Speaker 2: On the future twenty six million dollar a year.
Speaker 3: He's really good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, yes, No, that that makes a lot of.
Speaker 3: Sense, not to get Jamie Davis on the field.
Speaker 2: Any names, any names that I should have mentioned in that exercise that I didn't mention.
Speaker 3: Roman Wilson's calm, Yes, but not guaranteed. I don't think there's another receiver that's scary enough to That's that's the thing. There's one more dude at that position doing things or something, or if there was, you know, like a fifth round pick or something that was, you know, showing you something. The d line in general, Rubio, those guys, Yeah, I mean you're gonna cut a good one, you are.
Speaker 2: What about Hey, what about Mason Rudolph concern? I think that's fair. Yeah, and not because anything that he's done.
Speaker 3: No, it's just but if those two are you keep three.
Speaker 2: If those two young guys do what they did on Thursday night, two more times here in pre season, and you kind of look at each other in that room and you go, and we could survive with one of these guys.
Speaker 3: For both those guys goes down under contract more than this year or two, and they would get a little bit of cap savings.
Speaker 2: And I've been guilty of this, like I've said, what if Aaron picks up a two month injury, then obviously you'd want to have Mason Rudolph. But at the same time, if Aaron up a two month injury, your season's probably shot.
Speaker 3: Might just go to Allen.
Speaker 2: Your season's probably shot already, and maybe you want to see what one of those young guys has. So that's a that's.
Speaker 3: A real not really how this organization works.
Speaker 2: It's not, but there is a new head coach who's been tasked with finding and developing that next franchise quarterback.
Speaker 3: I mean that implies you'd punt the season if you put a young guy in instead of Rudolph if it was a long injury or a season ender in Week six or something like that. You know, I don't know if that's how it was at the same time, and the organization will go for that.
Speaker 2: And I think you're I think you're right. But at the same time, you could also look at it and say, unless you're like one in five, sure, but I think you could also look at it and.
Speaker 3: Say, what an opportunity it's.
Speaker 2: It's not punting on the season. It's actually more important in the long run, you know, to get to see if one of these guys has it as opposed.
Speaker 3: It'd be great to know the answer on both those guys, a yes or a no. I don't think you're gonna get those definitive answers.
Speaker 2: I don't either unless we see one of them start for six.
Speaker 3: Games, right, like the Tyler took over exactly right, Yeah, exactly right.
Speaker 2: So that's that's an interesting one to me. I do think Mason Rudolph will be uh will be involved with an organization this fall and winter. But I am just starting to work.
Speaker 3: Where would you put Howard after least concern.
Speaker 2: After what we saw Thursday night, Concerned but closer to calm than I am worried.
Speaker 3: I'd have them firmly and concern just because like if they're only going to keep three, which maybe they will keep four, I think it's a coin flip between him and Rudolph.
Speaker 2: Yes, especially especially if they you know, internally, at the end of the preseason, they sit down and they go, Okay, two years from now, a year from now, five years from now, Drew's got the much better chance of being the guy than Will. So let's just kind of go all to make it. Let's kind of go all in on Drew. Mason's are backup, Drew's our developmental guy, and it's kind of a more natural delegation of of that.
Speaker 3: That's now most teams do yees starter the most team starters on forty two years old, but a starter that could not be there maybe, I mean even the Josh Allen world, Josh Allen is backed up by Trubisky, and then you have a fifth round pick you like, you know.
Speaker 2: Yep, that's the way to do it, man, that's the way to do it. So we will. We'll continue to keep an eye on all these things as we roll along here. But it's getting to be about that time where some of these guys, the seats getting a little hot, and some of these games.
Speaker 3: There's concerned and worry for sure, and.
Speaker 2: For some people too though the seat's cooling off a little bit. You look at him and you go, oh, yeah, you're definitely making the team. There's kind of that ebb and flow every single day and of course every single preseason game.
Speaker 3: One last note. I know it's been a long segment, but we were trying about this last night, and that's something I've thought about for a while and I maybe even have mentioned in the last couple of days. If you were to cut Howard for whatever reason, you just choose that the other these are our best fry for now in the long term. If I'm him, I think I'm signing elsewhere. You can't just be like it's not your You don't have a right to say you can only sign on our practice squad. He is a free agent agent, yeah, and most people want to come back to the team that they worked with. And but like I saw the Panthers on Yeah, I mean he might beat like Kenny Picktt for the number two job. I mean, there's a lot of those out there, and he I mean, he'd have to look at it like I'm fourth. Here.
Speaker 2: You look in the mirror and go, They've they've chosen Drew Aller over me, and so I'm fourth.
Speaker 3: I'm fourth, I'm fourth. Where if I go to another team, I might have learned the system, but I might be third or second.
Speaker 2: I'll probably be third, and I might even be second.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, yeah, if I even if I signed the practice squad, if I'm not claimed, I don't know that i'd come back here from him. I think i'd love that would be the easy answers, like, hey, we love you, we whelready cut you go in the practice squad, and then you'll be in the mixed next year. Okay, that sounds nice.
Speaker 2: It's probably not what's best for business for you, right right, right, And it is a business after it have to you gotta think about yourself. Old.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: That's another old Arthur Motes line. When they when you say it's a business, they'll tell you it's just a game. But when you say it's just a game, they'll tell you it's a business. Wes Shuler, Matt Williamson. I want to go around the league here. There's some you know, we've had since the Steelers played Thursday, a lot of other preseason games. Yeah, I feel like, what's going yesterday, Let's let's let's get up.
Speaker 3: There, right. I would assume maybe I think they're so good at most nights of the week during preseason. There's something there.
Speaker 2: Are there are, but for some reason I thought that they stayed away from u from Sundays for like the start of preseason.
Speaker 3: Let me look at that. I honestly don't know.
Speaker 2: Preseason week one, Matt. It looks like all preseason Week one games are in the books.
Speaker 3: Yep, I guess they started Thursday. It's Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Saturday.
Speaker 2: I don't see anything. I don't see anything listed here, which is kind of surprising considering that you know it's a Sunday. Yeah right, there are no There are no preseason games scheduled for today, Sunday, August sixteenth week. Preseason Week one wrapped up on Saturday night.
Speaker 3: There's not a Monday night or there there is not.
Speaker 2: It looks like Wednesday might be. I think there might be a Wednesday night or this upcoming week, but a few days off year without a preseason game. But obviously we've got plenty to discuss as Oh no, Matt, they're bringing in reinforcements for the tarps out here. Goodness, gracious, look at this. Some of the Steelers' video crew.
Speaker 3: Is that now? Yeah? And I'm making a mess.
Speaker 2: I know, bro, This truck over the tarp. Now it's all muney.
Speaker 3: And I'll be honest. There's there's some track marks on the field itself too from the initial endeavor. Dude, we gotta be quiet. They're gonna pull us out of the booth to pull that tarp. Matt and I will be back up a break.
Speaker 2: We've been we've been summoned.
Speaker 3: Might have to list of commercials for justin.
Speaker 2: We're gonna need a forty five minute commercial break here.
Speaker 3: We'll come up here. I'll be like, look, they got Irish.
Speaker 2: Greg coming across the way here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's a former player. He should be out here already.
Speaker 2: You brought me out here to pull on to tarp. There were nine people early.
Speaker 3: Video dudes, though you could be better than that.
Speaker 2: There's like seventeen now. But again, be quiet saying that.
Speaker 3: Because they're gonna grab us for sure.
Speaker 2: Costs down here for sure.
Speaker 3: Right, good thing Max is around, he'd be hauling that thing, Oh goodness, would volunteer him first?
Speaker 2: Max, turn your phone off, brother, don't do it. Don't do it.
Speaker 3: Oh, this shows that they're in over their heads a little bit, because there's no way the plan was pull anyone. You can out of the building to help.
Speaker 2: They have got the equipment out, They've got all the bodies out, and we'll keep you posted on all the moving and shaking here on Saint So for a really long break.
Speaker 3: That's what happened. They try and came to grab us.
Speaker 2: Listen, I'm telling you right now. It's not on my contract, all right, So I'm gonna need a nice I'm gonna need a nice bonus pay here if you want me to get out of the booth and Matt. I got into radio broadcasting so I wouldn't have to do any real work as a man like this, Okay. I don't want to do any physical labor. That's why I got into broadcasting in the first place. Oh goodness, this is incredible.
Speaker 3: I want to yell out the window so bad, but then they'll come and get us.
Speaker 2: This is incredible feeder.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: Our video buddies, I'd love.
Speaker 2: To all of our video buddies are down there pulling and strength.
Speaker 3: Is TV out there?
Speaker 2: I do not see TV.
Speaker 3: Oh he's a strong lag get him out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, where's TV?
Speaker 1: Dodging?
Speaker 2: Is dodging his responsibilities here, I'm gonna here, comes Nate dog.
Speaker 3: Trotting crist Ah, that's a trooper, right.
Speaker 2: They start with nine guys on this crew. Now I think there's at least FIFA there's all. There's one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven, twelve, thirteen, fourteen, fifteen, sixteen, seventeen eighteen. So they've doubled their numbers since since we began.
Speaker 3: There are some fellas in the organization stronger than these dudes. Again though they wear pads and helmets on Sundays.
Speaker 2: But they also host a radio show called The Drive. But unfortunately, no, I'm just kidding. Most of those dudes down there could whoop my butt. But again that's why, that's why I got into broadcast.
Speaker 3: This is great.
Speaker 2: I don't want to do manual labor. I mean, come on, that ain't That ain't for me. Wes Shuler, Matt Williamson. It's The Drive. We are on tarpwatch and we have got around the league things to get to from the first full slate of preseason games now in the books. It's all part of our ongoing training camp coverage Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is live coverage up DOT twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp or the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, easy to drink, easy to enjoy, and brought to you in part by your neighborhood, Ford Store Creator, Pittsburgh Community Food Bank, First National Bank. Let's get started, remember FDIC West Shore Home Remodeling reimagined by Leecom Digital, Donz Appliances Visit Donzappliances dot Com. Guaranteed lowest prices, free next day delivery, CGR Wholesale and by Hass's Steak and Seahouse hass Is Is Hospitality.
Speaker 2: Well, good news, folks, the grounds crew, the video crew, and some people here from Saint Vincent College. They have done it, Matt. They have untangled the hose, the garden hose that was.
Speaker 3: This massive tarbough man and we didn't get the call.
Speaker 2: We did not get the call, which for that time, I'm thankful. They are kind of blowing some last dirt and water off this thing before they'll have half the field covered. And then good news for all those guys. The other half of the field tarp is in much better condition.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think the video guys can go back to do video.
Speaker 2: It should be a very quick We were in breaking Matt's texting our guy TV, Like, hey TV, what the heck? Man, Oh, your boys are out there, Your boys are out there on this tar? What are you doing?
Speaker 3: Wasn't he a no lineman back in this day? I don't know it wasn't he was strapping young fella?
Speaker 2: Yeah, come on, this is hilarious though.
Speaker 3: I like I, Oh, they were in a buying for a while, you know, that.
Speaker 2: Whole like watching paint dry thing. Whatever this is is like the opposite of watching paint dry. I could watch this all day. They've got big blowers out now, they're blowing all the dirt.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, they had to put the tractor on the tarp itself and that big muddy wheelney wheels.
Speaker 2: Now everyone's just kind of standing around waiting for these.
Speaker 3: Why do they have to wait? Though?
Speaker 2: Oh man, it's a big tart brother, things like fifty yards by sixty yards.
Speaker 3: It won't take long to get that mit off that way, I think. So they're doing pretty good.
Speaker 2: I tell you what, do I look at a lot of these tools that the grounds crew has around here, and I'm like, like, if I had these back home, you know how quick I could cut the grass and clean up the yards.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that big errator in my front yard.
Speaker 2: Oh, it'd be awesome. Grass would be looking like Tiger Woods backyard. Mhm, it's pretty good. I mean, these guys are these guys are hustling down here.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: We'll keep an eye on any other crazy moving and shaking. Uh. In about I think about half an hour, we're supposed to get crushed in about a half an hour. TV was texting us that there's a tornado warning heading this way. You were during break I called my wife because my wife. My wife set me a screenshot of like she got one of those imminent threat alerts on her iPhone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, critical for tornado.
Speaker 2: And then one of our neighbors, Nikki, texted like our neighborhood group chat and was like, get to the basement, guys, And so I called my wife. I was like, hey, is everything okay? Like is this serious? And she was like, no, we're fine. I think Nicky was just messing around. She's like, it's it's raining hard, but it doesn't doesn't look like anything terrible.
Speaker 3: But TV was.
Speaker 2: There's a tornado warning here for like a half an hour from now. It's supposed to rain all night until like five in the morning, which explains why they're getting these tarps out to keep the field fresh for the UH rush. Yeah, the final final stretch of camp, Matt. I did want to touch on a couple I think, uh just different things from across the preseason in the NFL the last forty eight hours or so. One of them pretty cool. Yesterday, Did you see what happened in the second half with the Chicago Bears game?
Speaker 3: No, I am very out of the loop with the rest of the league, to be honest.
Speaker 2: With you, Ben Johnson gave formally of this parish Antoine randall Ll play calling duties.
Speaker 3: I love when they do that in the preseason. I get so smart.
Speaker 2: I do too, And he gave him control of the offense, control of the play calling in the second half, and all that the Bears did was score twenty four unanswered points, twelve first downs, two hundred and thirty five yards.
Speaker 3: Very cool, now, I think that's so smart by head coach is to really give an opportunity like that that everyone knows about too. I mean, you could do it behind the scenes and no one knows who's calling plays in a preseason game or whatever. But Randall Ell has a very bright future as a coach. I could see him being an offensive coordinator, maybe as soon as next year.
Speaker 2: He is man, he's sharp, and he has his stuff and I like once or he's a quarterback. He was a quarterback in college. Yep, he he's been runner up or yeah, yeah, I think he is one of the rising stars certainly the coach world, in the in the coaching world, and great to see from a guy who will always have a special place in the heart of Steelers fans who were around for that Super Bowl forty run, Matt, what'd you think of ty Simpson what we saw from him yesterday? Threw two touchdowns twenty one of twenty five, played a lot, one hundred and ninety yards, two touchdowns, no turnovers, and the Rams win over the Chiefs.
Speaker 3: Well, I just mentioned I am very out of the loops. I did not see one brow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I kind of stepped in it on that one.
Speaker 3: I'll be honest. I mean, when I'm home during the preseason, I just let the NFL network just because there's always a game on and you just get clips and clips and so even when I'm doing other things, it's just on in the background or ooh, I'm gonna watch this drive or you know, when I'm here, I got no chance. I mean, unless it's on at Sharky's and it happens to be a very slow night. When we're not even like chatting much, it's really hard for me to keep up for the preseason action. But I did read good things about Simpson.
Speaker 2: The stat line looked good, the highlights. I'm not gonna sit there and tell you I watched every single snash obviously, but the highlights look good, the stat line look good. And you know, again that doesn't mean that all of a sudden he's the heir apparent to Matt Stafford and he's gonna be an all pro. But it's much of like we've said with with Drew Aller, Will Howard's good first step, good first showing for him. Matty, Are they have this tarp on wrong?
Speaker 3: Oh no, because this is not gonna cover fifty yards?
Speaker 2: Yeah it is? Oh oh no?
Speaker 3: I think do you think they have the bedsheet on the like the queen a.
Speaker 2: Little sticker that said top of rottom right, and then they have to turn it like? I think they have to turn it. I think they they put it definitely have to they put it horizontal when it should have been vertical.
Speaker 3: Right, it's only covering twenty five yards.
Speaker 2: Unless Matt, there's a third third we all know is.
Speaker 3: They're a mystery tarp. There could be no. I don't see it anywhere. This is too I think the thing.
Speaker 2: This is tarp nation radio unless there's also two. To be fair, there could be more. Does it like fold out or something that we haven't seen on them.
Speaker 3: There's no where they would make this mistake. I mean, I'm gonna trust him on this, I think, because he definitely need to cover way past the sidelines.
Speaker 2: Sure, sure, but.
Speaker 3: Shouldn't this thing be wider?
Speaker 2: It's only about forty yards.
Speaker 3: Unless this one's like seventy that's true.
Speaker 2: That is a possibility that they were.
Speaker 3: A mirror image of each other.
Speaker 2: We'll keep you posting, oh man, as we roll along, Matt our guy Jackson Dart, and I say that tongue in cheek can't stay out of his own way once again. Had to be evaluated for me, really, to be evaluated for a concussion after taking a big hit against the Minnesota Vikings.
Speaker 3: Johnny Knoxville, that's amazing to me.
Speaker 2: It's it's insane, right, it's insane.
Speaker 3: Not that he's out there. It's just learn how to protect yourself. I mean, this is such an obvious problem with this young guy that they have high hopes for. Man. I mean, take shots on his throwing shoulder all the time, take shots to yad.
Speaker 2: He come on, dude, he's I mean, he's at least I hope he saw the guy that was blitzing and coming right at him. Like it wasn't like he got crushed on the blind side or anything like that. And like, dude, it's preseason. Just go down, give yourself up, Like, don't stand on the market there and take a big hit. No one care, like you're not trying to prove your toughness in the me.
Speaker 3: I mean, I understand a lot of these young quarterbacks. I'm going out there with one arm and and I'm gonna improve myself to my teammates and all the wrong spot, dude, wrong spot, and coaches will tell you nowadays, this is in nineteen seventy five, like we need you out there, you know, the more important just for you to play seventeen plus games.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Speaking of injuries, Marcus Mariota suffered a right I did see the sprained right knee. Will miss the rest of preseason, is expected to be ready for the opener of Sprain mcl for Marcus Mariota. And then kind of last piece of notable news Matt is that as Sean McVay has said, he's not putting any deadlines on Aaron Donald, but he hopes that the former star defensive tackle makes a decision sooner rather than later. Oh, third tarp, third tar, So now it makes sense. So they're about forty yards a piece those tars, which would cut the end zones as well, one hundred and twenty yards.
Speaker 3: Now at all that's up. I'm one nugget. I did hear about Aaron Donald, which I guess, and this is just like a podcast. I was listening to McVeigh and less Need and the people in charge how to sit down with him supposedly and said, so would you be interested in, you know, just doing third down work, playing twenty thirty snaps game closed out games for us in the fourth quarter, and I guess, I guess he gave them like a death stare, like how dare you do? You know who you're talking to? It's like if I'm gonna play, if I'm gonna play, I'm gonna play like I've always played and so so.
Speaker 2: I wonder if some of that is like, hey, if you don't sign till you know, if you don't sign till week four, fine, you know we'll have you. Yeah, I could do that right last twelve games or whatever they.
Speaker 3: I don't think he has any intentions of being like semi retired, which part time player.
Speaker 2: Which makes sense is makeup when you're when you're an I mean, this is a compliment, but when you're a like Aaron Donald, like, I don't think you want to be a part time player. You're either all in or you're all out there. Right, There's there's no in between. You don't train with knives all off season to be a part time player, right.
Speaker 3: If I'm gonna go, I'm playing heck yeah, and Niners.
Speaker 2: Somebody else to sit out who's not you know, one of the greatest defensive players that we've ever seen in NFL history. Hour in the books, two more hours to go. I want to do a little fantasy football focus with Matt when we return, and will continue to monitor all the tarp and weather situations here. It's I think they they finally worked out some kinks they got all those knots out of the hose, and now it's real easy to roll up here, you know, and get the job done. E'lert Williamson rolling along here. All part of our training camp coverage Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network