Speaker 1: Bring institute. That's okay, becaus no one here is.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 3: Hello, and welcome to teen Beat, a podcast that lives inside the snow globe that is.
Speaker 1: The Danielle Fisher Shows.
Speaker 3: I am your host, daniel Fishle, and this week I continue my mission of talking to interesting people who have done interesting things, hoping to learn about their upbringing, because I know that who we were is a direct pipeline into who we've become. I see it like this, I gave you my childhood. It's time we hear yours. But this week I am joined by an absolute Hollywood legend who, in his youth not only starred in some of your all time favorite eighties movies, he's also somehow found a way to defy the odds and maintain a still running fifty year career in film and TV National Lampoon's Vacation, The Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, Weird Science, SNL, Edward Scissorhands, The Dark Night. His resume reads like your shelf of Blu Rays since college, but now he may just be taking on his biggest challenge yet, Nation's Dumbest on Fox, a competition show where alongside fellow celebs like Iced tea doctor Drew and Jojo Siwa. He has faced a number of educational challenges, pop quizzes, and elementary level physical activities, and hopes that he will avoid last place, inching further and further away from the title of nation's dumbest.
Speaker 1: But we know he's not the dumbest.
Speaker 3: Especially since he's smart enough to come hang out with me today. I genuinely believe his nuanced work and those golden era John Ces movies helped lay the groundwork for what we did mixing humor and real teenage emotion years later on Boy Meets World, and I am so excited to talk to him about it. Please Welcome to teen Beat, Anthony Michael Hall.
Speaker 2: Hi, Danielle, thank you for having me. It was very nice.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Thank you so much for coming. You come from a very talented family. Your mother was a blues and jazz singer, and then your half sister followed in her footsteps. Was it always a creatively encouraging household?
Speaker 2: Great question, Yeah, I think so absolutely. You know, as you said, my mother was a jazz, R and B singer. She also taught voice, you know, so I think she laid the groundwork for my sister and I. I also think a big part of Daniel was growing up in Manhattan. Girl grew up in New York City, so we had access to the arts, and I think just seeing what was possible in the world growing up in a city like New York. But absolutely it was instilled in our household, you know, the love of music. As you said, my sister's a singer and a recording artist, so yeah, a lot of music in my family.
Speaker 3: In your career began at just eight years old in commercials, and I was also a commercial kid. How were you getting around New York at eight years old? Was your mom taking you? Were you taking the subway? How are you getting around to auditions?
Speaker 2: Believe it or not? I you know, I think I had some assist at that very early age, you know, my mother or my father. But after that, I mean, by the time I was a preteen, I think I was just navigating the city on my own, which is pretty amazing, taking car, you know, taking buses and trains. They were a lot safer then. Yeah, So yeah, I think all of that kind of affected my upbringing, you know, just that access. Being raised in New York City, and as we talked about having that arts background with my mother.
Speaker 3: You know, it's so interesting how different it was in New York as what my co host on my other podcast, pod Meets World. Wilford all grew up in Connecticut and his parents were both lawyers, and by the time he was ten eleven years old, he was on the subway by himself. He was taking he was just navigating the city by himself, going to auditions. And when I hear that, being a California, you know, bread person, I'm like, I can't even imagine.
Speaker 2: Well, I was very similar to Well in that rock Yeah all right, actually, yeah, you know we did a movie years ago, Will, and I was called Swimming with Sharks, Yes, with Jennifer love Hewett. I forget the title of it.
Speaker 1: Trojan War, Crojian War. Right, Oh, that's so funny.
Speaker 2: Will, I haven't seen in years.
Speaker 3: He's such a great guy. I'll tell him you said hello. He'll want me to pass along his hello as well. Great and as a teen, you would become known as an actor who could play well beyond his years.
Speaker 1: Were you always a mature kid?
Speaker 2: I don't know if I was a mature kid, but like many and I'm sure you probably start off this way, doing shills for the family in the house.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, you.
Speaker 2: Know, doing shills making your relatives sit down at your parents. And so that was me as a kid. You know. I think back at that old Eddie Murphy film. I think it was called Raw, but there was a sequence at the opening where they kind of re enacted his childhood. He was doing this kind of stuff, you know, kind of performing for his relatives. So that was me. You know. I was born in Boston in nineteen sixty eight. Sounds like one hundred and fifty years ago, but I was raised by a single mom and you know, growing up in her in that household in Boston. At first, that's what it was about, was doing shows, you know. So it was that funerals or weddings or whatever, kind of getting up and imitating my uncles and aunts. And so I started out, I guess as a little stand up comic. I guess as a kid you know in the family, which is to yeah.
Speaker 1: That's so funny.
Speaker 3: I also was that way, and especially with imitations, Like I was good at imitating people. That's where my performance bug started. Was just like imitating my math teacher for my mom, or you know, just trying to trying to entertain in any way that you can.
Speaker 2: Right, me too. We share that then, Yeah, it's a natural thing. I think kids can really instruct us. I think they'll show you what their interests are. I mean, I just had my first child. I have a three year old here at fifty eight, so I just I'm an older dad starting. But you know, I think kids inform you of their interests and like yourself, I was performing for the family, you know, imitating people. So that's how I started as well.
Speaker 3: Do you see any any signs of what your son is gravitating to?
Speaker 1: I have a seven year old and an almost five year old.
Speaker 2: Incredible, Yeah, well you know better than I. Danielle. Well, first of all, my son had quite a little outburst today. He was not having it. He didn't want to leave his mommy's side this morning a bit, so we had a kind of a rough go getting him to school today.
Speaker 3: It's always difficult in the mornings, especially Monday mornings. They've just spent a nice weekend with the family and then it's like Monday morning, they're like what no.
Speaker 2: Literally, it was about forty five minutes of crying and I want mommy and all that stuff, But no, I think back to performing. I think is a very natural thing. It's an extension of childhood, you know, using your imagination. And let's face it, what we do for a living is to make believe. Even though people in Hollywood might have you think differently. It is just make believe. You know.
Speaker 4: It's fun. Yes.
Speaker 3: In addition to commercials, I know you also did some theater, but then your screen debut was in an Emmy winning TV movie called The gold Bug, and then just two years later you were cast as Rusty Grizzle in the original National Lampoons Vacation, a true genuine classic that will live on forever. Do you remember your audition for Rusty?
Speaker 2: I do. It's like yourself. I started in commercials, so you remember all those early auditions. I remember meeting with Harold Ramis and Maddy Simmons, the producer of the film, Yes, and that being a great experience, and then just seeing something in me, you know, that old saying of we're all standing on the shoulders of giants. We all have mentors and people that certainly brought us along, you know, and my life it was certainly John Hughes, and before that John, it was was Harold Ramis and Matty Simmons. You know, so I do remember that audition. I was midtown Manhattan at the Warner Brothers office, and yeah, it was exciting and they saw something in me, and next thing, you know, I got the job and we made that film way back in nineteen eighty three. It was incredible. This pre dates you know, Green Screen, Blue Screen. We actually made the trip. The crew went to Colorado and then we made our way back to Arizona and then back to California, so we kind of saw half the country at least, you know too, It's really you know how it is movie making. It's a real joy. It's a real blessing.
Speaker 3: I know, a movie making often feels like a traveling circus. But then hearing you describe it like that, it was really like a traveling circus.
Speaker 2: You said it perfectly. Yeah, it really was. It really was. And these days, right, everything's shifted. You know, it's a new century, so there's new technology and yeah, you know everything can be done on a single stage. Right, We're seeing AI and all these other developments. It's a fascinating time to be alive.
Speaker 3: Yeah, as you mentioned, directed by Harold Ramis written by John Hughes, starring Chevy Chase. Were you intimidated at all? You were thirteen years old, and I mean that's a who's who of comedy.
Speaker 1: Were you intimidated?
Speaker 2: Well, you know what I think I was. I think I was a bit nervous to start because I was one of those kids in the seventies I would ask my mother to stay up so I could watch SNL. So I loved all those comics and Chevy too, so I just looked up to him absolutely, and then getting to work with John Candy, all the great people I mentioned Coca. It was really an incredible way to start in my career. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Really, I wanted to ask you about the Wally World scenes. It's sure one of the best last acts of any comedy. And you are spending a day in an empty theme park with Chevy Chase, John Candy, and Beverly di'angelo. What do you remember about shooting at six Flags?
Speaker 2: Well, what was funny, Danielle is the first thing we shot was the run up when we're in the parking lot. That was actually the Santitita Racetrack ten degrees that day. Now, this was a Warner Brothers film, so you know, we couldn't use Disneyland, so we did use six Flags as you mentioned. So it's really funny. So the parking lot was Santaitita Racetrack kind of over here on the west side, and then once we get in, it was you know, out in Valencia at Magic Mountain. A lot of fun. I just remember that wooden roller coaster. They should have beann those things long a time ago, because I know, I think it was called the Cyclone or something. I forget it was called.
Speaker 1: I think it is the Cyclone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but it just had that rickety sound, like a very nervous, you know, nerve wrecking kind of sound. It was kind of a funny thing, but great experience, you know. And on that one, it was actually a different ending that we originally did for Vacation, And what happened was the studio tested the film and I think a lot of the cards came back when they would give the cards to the audience and give their notes they wanted to see them get to the park. The original ending was Chevy holds roy Wally hostage, and roy Wally would be the equivalent of Globalt Disney, you know, a Gentleman's business launch is Beverly Hills Mansion. So it's a funny scene, but ultimately didn't work for the film because it felt like, you know, the audience just wanted to see the family get to the park.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get there, get to the park.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's so funny. What was it that made you not want to return for the sequel?
Speaker 2: You know, it's so funny. It's because of the great blessing of having John Hughes in my life. I wasn't available. It was because of John Hughes. You know, he wrote that script, but I didn't meet him on Vacation Daniel. I met him when I did Sixteen Candles, and right after that we wound up doing those three films In a Row, Breakfast Club and then Weird Science. So it was actually kind of his fault. I was working with John Hughes on these other films at Universal, and I was not available to do the sequel to Vacation, which was European Vacation. But those films have all held up and the tested stile, which is great.
Speaker 3: Did you know at the time, because obviously John Hughes was very taken with your performance, when did you find out that he was already thinking of you for other roles.
Speaker 2: You know, it was right after we did sixteen Candles. We just had this incredible connection, Danielle. I'm sure there been people like that mentors we've worked with where they just felt like family. There was just a love and a connection and you know, with genuine care that he had, I just felt like his little brother, you know. So it was right after sixteen Cannels. I remember him calling me in Manhattan. I was still living, of course, with my parents, and him telling me that we were going to do The Breakfast Club, you know, and then it's crazy, you know, cut to shooting in that film. I think we made all three of those films in the span of less than three years. But we were about a couple of weeks into The Breakfast Club. And this is how prolific he was. We were on a break shooting a big scene in the library and John Hughes came up to me in the hallway and he said, you know, I came up with our next film, and I'm like, what are you talking about. We're shooting our second film then right third, if you include Vacation. But he didn't direct it. He said it's going to be you and so as a kid, and we're going to make a girl on the computer. And he goes, last night, after we wrapped, I went back to the to the house and I wrote the first act. So that's how prolific that he was amazing. So he would shoot a ten or twelve hour day and then go home when he wrote thirty pages of what became Great Science, which is incredible.
Speaker 4: Oh my.
Speaker 2: So yeah, we have a group thread going with the cast mates at that. That film just turned forty one, I think two days ago over yesterday. So it's it's a real privilege to know that I started with these great guys that really gave me these opportunities, you know, Maddison, Harold and John. Yeah. But then we made those three in a row.
Speaker 3: I mean, you made those three movies in a row, and it's like nineteen eighty four, nineteen eighty five.
Speaker 1: Did you even sleep during this period?
Speaker 2: I was a kid. I was just happy to be an on set, you.
Speaker 1: Know, endless energy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and you know how it is. I mean we would get tutored on set and and you know, I mean it's it's no comparison them to being stuck in school all day. They have to make up three hours on set, as you know, that would be the rule for us, right, Yeah, but yeah, it was just such an incredible experience. You know, I really was life changing, and you know, I credit John was giving me my career. You know, it's really a great opportunity to work with.
Speaker 1: Was your mom on set with you for all of those films?
Speaker 2: You know what? She had been recently remarried at that time, and they had my sister, and so she was in New York and my aunt traveled with me, who was very close. She's like a second mother to me, so she was the one who traveled me at the time.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So The Breakfast Club is basically shot in like one location. You're sixteen years old and you're tackling these big existential life questions. Did you know while filming it that it was special?
Speaker 2: That's a good question. I think we did to some degree. You know. One of the things that John did, Danielle, which was really interesting, is he carved out time for us to rehearse. She don't always get that luxury. And you did a lot of TV and there's a lot of rehearsal with film. Yeah, it can be different and you don't always get that that luxury of having the times to work on stuff. But John really did that for us. He gave us a week or might have been even ten days where we just sat in that set that had been built inside the school that had been shut down and they built that beautiful library set inside it. Als amazing. So one of the things he did and he would bring the director of photography in it. He would start rehearsing the scenes. We would just sit around as a group in a circle kind of reading it, and then we'd start to block the scenes and the DP, the director photography, would come in so he would start pre visualizing it. But he gave us that time to work on the material and have, you know, ask questions and just have fun with it. And I think that was really helpful too. You know, it really prepares you for the days when you're shooting, you know.
Speaker 3: So that absolutely helps with your relationships with your fellow actors too, you know, bonding, connecting, getting comfortable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 3: It also just gives you a real sense of creative agency, you know that, Like I'm working with people who want me to succeed and excel and are willing to give me a place to try things and do things.
Speaker 2: Well said, yeah, absolutely, and John was big on that and he always was. He maintained that that sense of collaboration. He was really great that way, even down to just having music on the set. He would make mixtapes for us, you know, based on things that he heard, and he was so talented that way. He would integrate all those musical cues into his films, and so much to an extent that like Universal, after his films took off, not only did he have an overall deal, but he had a record in that era because they understood that he really had a keen sense of music and he really had his finger on the pulse, you know. You see it with shows like all these years later, like Gray's Anatomy or other successful shows where the music is built in and really supports the project, whether it's dramatic or communic or what have you. So yeah, he was really I feel like, kind of an innovator in that way. You know. He was really great because, as I said, a lot of those cues were written into his work. He had a room Danielle at his house. I would often be visiting with he and his wife and their two young sons who are still friends of mine on the weekends in Chicago as a kid, and you go into his writing room and it was amazing. He looked like a record store, David word of ceiling twelve inch vinyl records, and over in the corner by the window, he had a desktop computer where he do was writing. So it's almost like he immersed himself in his own writing room, which also looked like a record store. Is critical, so music was really important to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No wonder then you coming from a musical family. It was just something you guys had in common.
Speaker 2: You know, you said it. He was pretty too, because even when we were on the pitch, he would do really cool things like pick Molly and I up and other cast members and take us to see live music. We'd go see Blues and other great live venues in Chicago. So just great experiences where he was fully immersed in his work but also had a great sense of sharing as a person. He was really cool and open to Yeah.
Speaker 3: Around this time, when you're doing these three movies back to back, this is where the brat pack moniker popped up.
Speaker 1: You will never really embraced that title. Was that a.
Speaker 3: Conscious decision on everyone's behalf. Did you think at the time that it was lame because now people would everyone would like move in with each other and make tiktoks.
Speaker 2: So that's hilarious. I like what you just said. That's really funny and true to this young generation, which is the very hip in many ways. Yeah, yeah, it was for me because I think at the time what happened was it was a bit of a ploy on behalf of the magazine that published that article. You know, they sent a reporter out and got a lot of the guys. I mean, I was at the young end of that group. But I think Emilio and Robbelo and Judd and a bunch of guys sat down at a restaurant thinking it was all goodwill and good intended, you know, and I think, you know, they might have had a couple of drinks and they started talking and this that and the other thing, and then you know, that monitor, as you said, came out. Is that the leader of the article. And I mean I never thought much of it. I didn't expect it to stick either, you know, I thought the rat pack was a lot cooler in the sixties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: The rat pack, but it is what it is, and it was a way to kind of, you know, refer to a group of us. Ye, they didn't really have a bob. I just kept it, kept it moving and kept going ahead.
Speaker 3: Was there ever someone in that group that you were just in awe of talent wise that you really specifically looked up to.
Speaker 2: I think he was John actually yeaheah, just because he was a great ringleader and he led by example. He really had a great rapport with all of us. He really was very open and accessible throughout the making of the films, you know, and your performance and the way you chose the choices you made. It was always an ongoing discussion with him, and he did that for all of us. Yeah, you don't think that was great about him, And you know this, You've worked in a lot of comedy arenas and TV and stuff. We would shoot it the way it was written in two or three takes, you know, But then he was really cool about letting us improvise. And he was really cool that way. So what he did for me, he did for a lot of us. You know, if you had an idea, you could try that and the scripts are already great. There was always a sense of balance, and it was all fun things to do for all the characters, and they were all funny. Yeah, but he was great that way in terms of allowing if it made sense and it worked for the scene, you can improvise and have some fun with it, which.
Speaker 1: Is great, so great.
Speaker 3: I love that we didn't get to do a lot of improv on Boy Meets World. We were pretty much you know, you've said what's written to the script, say what's on the page. But so anytime I get to hear of people who would get that opportunity, it just seems it seems so fun and different from my experience. Right, I want to talk a little bit about Weird Science, which had you around Kelly Lebroc in exercise clothes for months on end as a How was that experience for you?
Speaker 2: She's a very cool aid To this day, she's really great. You know. There was actually another lady that was hired, a woman named Kelly Emberg, who was a model at the time, and unfortunately, I think what happened was we started shooting and I didn't think the studio didn't feel like it was working out, so Kelly replaced her, and at the time she had done a film called The Woman in Red with Gene Wild, and this was way back in the day, in the early eighties, and you know, when she showed up and she was hired, she just had a great kind of effortless charmed, great sense of humor. Yeah, she could be one of the boys and really fun. But at the same time obviously studying a beautiful woman, so yeah, whoa you know, but she was a very cool person, very down to earth, very much in her shoes, you know, very real, and very funny yourself. So she was a great compliment to the cast, and she was great in the film.
Speaker 3: I love that both care both women were named Kelly. If you're not Kelly, need not apply. We're only hiring Kelly's. You turned down two John Hughes movies after that, Ferris Bueller as Cameron and then the role of Ducky in Pretty in Pink. Was your concern at that time that you would never be seen as more than John Hughes's muse, Yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Think to some extent, even at that age too, where you're more self conscious about that, you know, on the stereotyping thing, I think that certainly was on my mind. I also felt to be very honest that this, you know, Pretty and Pink. It was very similar story wise to sixteen Cannels, So it kind of felt like a redo in a way. But listen, you can't We've lived long enough to know you have to wish everyone's success in life, and you can't harbor resentment. You know, it doesn't do anything for anyone. Yeah, so I think that those films were they were great. You know, I think John Cryer is a very nice guy. I've met him since I've met Andrew. I just chose not to make that film and then with Ferris Bielo that had actually been written for me by John, and unfortunately, you know what happened was he wanted me to do both films at the time, and I just felt it was important that I kind of moved forward, you know, And I think that was kind of heartbreaking for him in a way. But all credit to you know, Matthew Broddock was great Ferris, and obviously John and Andrew did a nice job in Pretty Good Pink. But that's how it worked out. Yeah, and it led to unfortunately kind of a rupture in our friendship for years, John, because I think like the youthful characters. He wrote, he was very sensitive guy, you know, a so called adult at the time, you know, So I think that that hurt his feelings in a way that I didn't anticipate. I was really just trying to move forward professionally, but at the same time with full acknowledgment of what he had given me.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh that's sad that, Yeah, I mean, you know, like you said, it's like you obviously had to make the decision for you that you needed to move forward, and you felt like, especially pretty in Pink would have been too similar to something you had already done with him, And for him, he was like, but we've gone this far together, how could you not stay on the journey with me?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you said it beautifully. Yeah, I think that's probably a real accurate sense of where he was at.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But again, given his writing ability, I think he had such an ear for that and a genuine and true sensitivity, which is great. It's important for artists and writers particularly.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So unfortunately, Yeah, that was his take on it.
Speaker 3: Well, talk about an amazing alternative, because shortly after that, you would become the youngest cast member of Saturday Night Live ever at just seventeen years old, and you had already mentioned that you were a fan. You used to ask your mom to stay up to watch it. From what we've heard about SNL, I cannot imagine that that atmosphere was very good to be in as a kid. What do you remember about it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a tricky question. It was very exciting. It's an amaldam of a couple of things, Daniel. It's like live theater, stand up comedy, rock and roll, everything kind of rolled into one and a very high pressure work atmosphere, and a lot of people don't always acknowledge. We would come in on a Monday. Everybody would be tasked with writing sketches, like even if you weren't on the writing staff. I remember meeting Eddie Murphy at that time, who was a huge fan of as a kid, and he even telling me that he would start writing his own sketches. So I started writing. Everybody starts writing on Monday. We would turn in our sketches at about noon on Wednesday. And this is back in the day when people would have the assistants type them up, you know, So we would have a read through at about four o'clock on a Wednesday with the major key department heads and the cast and Lauren Michael's basically whenever got the most laughs, Lorne would be taking notes and then he would go back to his office after the readthrough and start designing the show on the coretboard you'll receive with the index cards, you know, a simple tool, but that's how we built the show. And then what's happened is that on Thursday, Daniel, you starting around the clock. We're coming at ten or eleven o'clock in the morning. And they're like twelve hour days Thursday, Friday, Saturday, same thing all day. So it's a grueling job. I have a lot of love and respect for all the men and women who've been great on the show, and especially people like Keenan whoever worked with recently, Keenan Thompson, who's been there the longest, you know. So it's a really high pressure, high stakes, intense kind of environment and scripted like sitcom, there's not much room for improv there. But then there's the release of the show, the kind of cathartic release of the show every Saturday night. Even if you didn't have a great sketch, you know you're there. You're feeling the energy, the whole cast and crew, and the audience of course most importantly, and then the live ban that week. I mean, it was really a real thrill to be a part of, even in weeks where you knew you didn't have so much to score with, you know, so very challenging, exciting environment to work in.
Speaker 1: Did you have a favorite skit you appeared in.
Speaker 2: The first thing that pops in my mind back in the day. I remember doing a bunch of stuff, like we did some weekend update stuff with me and Downey in that era. I got down to his audition and he auditioned for Lauren and got the job. We did Haul of Oates one year. That year. It was really funny because Downy came out as John Oats, but because he's a shorter guy, ye at him on his knees and they built these cowboy boots around his knees so he could look like he was out to my waist. And we both had like the eighties wigs, and I was doing Darryl Hall was briefly so great. There were some good stuff. Yeah. I did a great sketch too, also with Damon Wayans, who was in the cast that year. Yeah, which was called two Jones's, which was a spoof on these old Crazy Eddy commercials. People in New York would remember.
Speaker 1: Crazy any Crazy Eddy, you remember crazy Idea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that was really fun working with Damon, working with Downey, you know, a lot of a lot of fun people, but again, very competitive. You know a lot of people don't acknowledge that. Right. Comedy writers will want to be stand up comics. Stand up comics want to be the star of the show. I mean there's a lot of you know, kind of that built in competitive spirit, which is good, it's healthy. I think it makes people thrive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is, Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 3: When you're working six days a week, almost twelve hours every single day. Yeah, you're you can imagine there's some competitiveness about what's getting on the air, who's working harder than who, who's getting things through, who's getting more laughs, health environment.
Speaker 2: Spoken, it's just a it's in the air. Yeah. I think it's something that Lauren's very aware if he works with that, you know, yeah, you know he's right, he decider in chief.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: You mentioned Downey, Robert Downey Junior, you're weird science co star, and you two have not only stayed extremely close now for over forty years, it seems like you two still eye projects to work on together. How and why do you think that friendship has survived this many decades.
Speaker 2: Well, I've been there for him, you know. Years ago when he was in trouble with the law, I spent a little time in the clink, so speak. Yeah, I went to visit him, and you know, we just have a long, a long history together. I wrote a script with he and his father right after we did and now, Yeah, and we had a project a couple of years back that we're trying to get made. Unfortunately didn't. It was very much by accident, kind of mirrored that show Succession, which was kind of took us by surprise. So unfortunately that didn't work out. But he's always been a good friend, and I'm really proud of his success, you know. And his wife is very cool. She's instrumental in his great comeback. And yeah, he's had just a great career. And he's a great guy. He's you know, despite all the great success he's had, he's very real, very down earth guy.
Speaker 4: He's cool.
Speaker 1: I love to hear that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you have been very open and vocal about the battle with addiction. You encountered during those early years. You got sober in nineteen ninety. How difficult did being in this young Hollywood scene and then snl all while becoming extremely famous. How hard did it make it for you to stay sober?
Speaker 2: Well, it's a challenge, you know, it really was. It's a pressure cooker of a situation, you know, this to have success at a young age, you know, because it puts you in a hot seat, and it's and it's very off putting in a way, even though it's something you think you want. You know, everybody has this idea about what fame is and recognition and all that stuff. But it was very challenging, you know. And I was a bit of a wild kid, I mean I was. I had a lot of fun, So it was challenging, you know, to navigate all that stuff, to maintain a career, to stay on the straight and narrow. You know. I give my mother a lot of credit. My mother was very tough love, but in the right ways. You know. She gave me a great foundational all my father. So that was really a you know, a great backstop, you know, especially considering the industry. And I didn't live out west, so I really wasn't fully immersed in a Hollywood lifestyle or all that stuff. So by the time I moved here in my mid twenties, I think I got a lot of that partying out of my system. If you're raised on the East Coast, you know what it is. I think you're your access to nightlife and all that stuff happens even at an earlier age, you know. So I felt like all that stuff was challenging. It was challenging to navigate all that but you got to, you know, you got to keep it moving. You got to keep moving forward in life, you know. So I've always you know, I pride myself on that sense of tenacity and discipline it takes just to keep going, you know, in industry, because there's no guarantees. Think about that, you know, and what we do. There's no company to fall back on, there's no team to rely on, you know. True. So I have a lot of respect and love for anybody of the arts that takes on this life, a creative life and endeavors to be successful with it because it comes with a lot of highs and a lot of lows, and you know, you can be racked with self doubt. There's a lot of different things that can be challenging. So it's important to have family, to have a foundation, and to you know, to clean up your act if you're on a wild on a wild path, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And that's to make no mention of the tabloids which were massive back then, which now we can relate to the.
Speaker 2: Internet right now, it's social media.
Speaker 1: Now, it's social media.
Speaker 3: You know, where you're under a lens and people are just watching every.
Speaker 1: Move you make, right right.
Speaker 3: Well, the next time a lot of my listeners would see you is probably Edward Scissorhands, a movie that seems to get more popular with every passing year, and in this one you are playing maybe against type as a villainous jock. Do you remember meeting Burton for the role, who probably mostly knew you from your John Hughes movies.
Speaker 2: I do, I do. It was right around like in nineteen ninety we made that film, so it must have been like eighty nine or early nineteen ninety we met, Yeah, and yeah, I think that that's something. I mean, he was aware of the work I had done, and I think I had also physically bulked up and gotten bigger. I did a film called Johnny be Good. It was a football film in between there, so I had bulked up and gotten it bigger physically, and I think that was intriguing to him to kind of pit in the opposite of Johnny Depp, who's kind of a smaller guy. Yeah, but he's a great artist to work for, as we all know. I mean, he's really I like it him to Walt Disney, I really do. I think he's an incredible filmmaker, has owned his own signature look, and yet he's done so many different types of films over these years, you know. But he was a great guy to work for it. So yeah, we went to Tampa and shot Edward Scissor Hands, which is like, all these years later, when I reflect on it, it reminds me of like, I don't know, Pinocchio meets Romeo and Juliet, what going on? Right? It's kind of a fairy tale. It's a beautiful movie, you know, and I think that it's held up really nicely. It was great. A couple of years ago, I got a call from Tim to join the cast of Wednesday, So I went over to Dublin and shot an episode of that, and so that was great to work with him again.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's so awesome.
Speaker 2: It was really great, And again I was just impressed with just the art department, just the depth of production, you know, creativity, the craftsmanship. You know, he's really a brilliant guy, very cool guy, very calm and low key too, but really comes alive when he directs. You know, he's a really interesting guy to work for.
Speaker 1: I love his aesthetic.
Speaker 3: It's just and like you said, so many different types of movies and yet he still has he is such a signature alone, totally totally.
Speaker 2: I mean, my wife was with me, we brought our son. We were in Dublin. Just one day. I had her come to the studio. It was called Ashbury thing out in the countryside of Dublin. It's just beautiful and I just wanted to walk through the art department with her and Shore. I mean, there was literally, I don't know, thirty forty to fifty people just working in the art department, seeing the models and all the you know, the creative work, painting and just all the work that goes into his you know, his world is really incredible and everybody gets it too. They kind of understand what his vision is. And I didn't get to be directed by him. It was a gentleman named Potable Cabasa, Spanish director. That's when I got to Dublin. I said, where's ten They go? Oh, Tims to the south of France editing. I was like, of course he is, he's Tim Burton. I'd be in the south of France editing.
Speaker 1: Too, exactly, That's exactly where he should be.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But great artists and really nice man.
Speaker 3: As an avid watcher of Monday Night Raw growing up, I also know you as the star of Dead Zone, a show often promoted during the WWE broadcast because it would air usually right after the last match. Oftentimes they would cut to you in attendance for Raw, and this was during the Stone Cold and the Rock era. I assume the network sent you, but there are worse places to promote. Do you remember anything from those days?
Speaker 2: So funny you said that, yes, and it was a really fortunate thing. I remember that crossover with WW and also the US Open because every August when I had that show for USA Network, they would invite me to the US Open too. I do remember that, and I did some commercials too with some of the wrestlers. It was really great that cross promotional thing was a lot of fun. I mean I personally was not a big wrestling fan that, but yeah, I thought that was really cool how they did that. You know, it was like a cross promotional thing, so much fun.
Speaker 3: I know, did you ever then stay? Did you go and just promote? Were you there for a few minutes or did you stay for the whole event?
Speaker 2: No? I did, I watched it. I mean that's a whole other type of theater as we know, right, Yeah, wrestling is serious, you know, and again the fans, the fans would just make it great.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 3: That's what made me fall in love with wrestling, is the fans who are just as much a character as the wrestlers themselves. The whole ecosystem. It just it wouldn't survive without the other.
Speaker 2: Well said, you said it perfectly. I agree completely. Yeah, it's almost like ancient Rome or something, right, Yeah, that's right, horrible.
Speaker 3: Deaths, right, exactly, hopefully on a larger scale. How have you personally been able to avoid burnout? I mean, now fifty years in this business, you are still working constantly. Have you ever thought about just becoming a car mechanic or a chef or just something else?
Speaker 2: Funny you said that because my father. I grew up without my biological father, but he was actually a mechanic. You know, I've entertained that thought over the years, but I guess it's just the kind of a hard head you have to have to be in this business, you know. I guess I've just maintained that. And it is amazing to me too, you know. I started when I was actually seven, you know, doing commercials. So it has been fifty years already. You know. Again, I just I credit my mother to a large degree, but also just my own tenacity, just keep staying at it, not giving up, you know, the idea of tolerating the unknown, you know. And I think that this industry really can throw people, you know, and I think success can really damage people, just like the fear of failure or the fear of success. All that stuff is really potent and powerful stuff. But I just maintain a diligent kind of mindset. I just kind of kept going, you know, through all these decades, and you know, and and I've tried to come to this peaceful awareness that, you know, these things don't define me. It's not who I am, but it's I love my work and I love what I do, but I can also leave it there. You know, I haven't really been someone in hot pursuit of celebrity like a lot of other people are, and you know they'll show up to the opening of an envelope or whatever. Yeah, but our industry is you know, it's a wonderful thing, you know. But the idea that it's it is make believe it. It's core. It's never lost on me too. You have to keep it real, you know, enjoy what you do, but have a sense of humor about yourself, right, and enjoy the work and the people that you're working with.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, whether it's Reacher or like we just talked about Netflix's Wednesday. In the past few years, we are still very used to seeing you on our TVs, but not quite in the same way we are right now. You are one of the contestants on Fox's new hit reality competition show Nation's Dumbest. What made you want to participate in this show? Considering I'm sure this was not the first time you've been asked to do reality TV.
Speaker 2: No, it was not, To be fair, I've been asked at numbers numerous times by ABC and Disney to do Dancing with the Stars, which is again I can enjoy that from Afar, but it's just not for me. But with this, Yeah, it's so funny because I'm one of those husbands talks a lot of smack about reality shows that my wife loves all the dating. You know, love is blind and this right, So it's really funny. Do you know what I learned from this experience, Danielle, Never say never? And it was also it turned out to be the thing that I needed, you know, to kind of take myself just to lighten up, because I think I was really kind of stressed this year. At the beginning of the year. I wasn't sure where the next job was. As you this industry is really challenging in that regard, so when this came up, it just forced me to kind of reframe my thinking. I went up to Toronto. I took my family with me, my wife and son, my mother came out from New York. We kind of made it a family affair. We had a nice time during the making of it. It was a quick two week shoot, and I got to tell you, the surprise for me was all the people. I was really happily surprised. I enjoyed everybody that I worked with. I thought everybody was cool, everybody, you know, awkward surprises. I think in the competition itself smarter than you think, you know, and it was a great lesson on many levels. You know, don't judge your book by its cover, you know, stay open, don't take yourself too seriously. There was a lot of great lessons I think that came with this experience from me. So I was glad that I dove into it. It was really a fun opportunity and I have to say shout out to Fox and BBC. They did a beautiful job, you know producing the show. This is a show I guess that was tested and as a hit in Norway and in about four or five other European countries, so it was kind of a proven model that they felt really strong with. We just had a great time doing it, you know, and just hanging out with some cool people like Ice Ty was a lot of fun. Steve O Hailaria L. King. Yeah, Jojo c was someone who I had heard about for years as a young lady grew up in reality show. Yeah, she's a real spark, you know, a spark plug. She's a lot of fun. Great competitive spirit, really fun person.
Speaker 3: I just spent the weekend with her at the Dancing with the Stars con. Oh yeah, Jojo is amazing. We had so much fun. She's so talented, so funny, so much energy.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, so I got that from everybody. Honestly, we had a good time. We're all thrown together and we just went for it. It was really a lot of fun.
Speaker 3: Was there anyone in particular that you really connected with? Did you exchange phone numbers with anybody? Anybody you're like still in touch with?
Speaker 2: Well again, with the cast group thread, it's still going, We're still almighty, you know, just you know. There was the ogs in the group, which of course was Doctor Drew, myself, Iced Tea, you know, and the older guys. It was funny. I put Steve oll the in the young category there. But it was so funny. Sometimes I see the commercials running for the show, I'm like, is that me or Doctor Drew of White Hair the same? Yeah, But I'll se Danielle was a great experience. I really had a lot of fun. For example, the way you can learn something about someone like Iced Tea, for example, he had great stories and he was like, yeah, man, you know he always got that kind of stern outer shell. But he's a great guy. He's actually really cool once you get past that. But he's like, yeah, I never did a drink or had drugs in my life. But then he proceeded to tell the stories about robbing jewelry stores and Beverly Hills, and I was like, yeah, yeah, I stee we get it. But also something about himlet I fell fastening. He was an army ranger. He was in the Army. Yeah, so that whole idea of you know, there's always more to a person and the first look. And it was really great and fun to get to know some of these people. I enjoyed it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's so fun.
Speaker 3: Well, we've talked a little bit about your son, Michael Anthony Hall the Second, who just turned three this past joon. Now let's say when he turns seven and he wants to follow in you and your wife's footsteps. Your wife is also an actor, and he says he wants to start auditioning.
Speaker 1: What is your reaction.
Speaker 2: Well, that's a tough one, Danielle. Yeah, no, kid, Well, I've always said that, I even mentioned this earlier. I think, like I think kids will show you what their interests gives them everything. I want to give them sports, I want to give them music. I want to you know, I don't know I would. I would have to be open to it. We'll see, we'll see what happens. You know. Yeah, he's a lot. You know, he's very funny already, we're seeing that in him. He's got a big personality. He's very funny, he's very talkative, and it's just a joy, as you know, and becoming a parent, right, our greatest role are most importantly. Yeah, So it's been. I mean this morning, for example, he was not having it, did not want to get to school, didn't want to leave mommy's side. So it was he was a lot. But I'll see, you know, we'll see what happens. You know, I'm open to it. We'll see where his interests lie and it'll be interesting to discover that.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you so much for coming on my podcast. You can tune in to see Anthony Michael Hall tackle grade school challenges on Nation's Dumbest, airing Wednesday nights on Fox at nine pm, and then it is streaming next day on Hulu, Disney Plus and tub and please go check out as many of his classic movies as you can. Like I said, alongside his co stars and John Hughes, they defined what it means to speak two teenage moviegoers, not at them, and what an honor it was to talk to you today.
Speaker 2: It's my honor too, Danielle, You're a real lady. Nice to talk with you, so.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much. Yeah, see you soon.
Speaker 2: Bye.
Speaker 3: Teen Beat is an iHeart podcast produced and hosted by Danielle Fischel. Executive producers Jensen Karp and Amy Sugarman, Executive in charge of production Danielle Romo, producer and editor Tara Sueboch. The theme song is by Mark Coppis, Yes that Mark Coppus. Follow us on Instagram at teen beat pod.