Speaker 1: Stramp on the boots and scrape up the knuckles.
Speaker 2: Hol On ahead.
Speaker 1: He got jacked.
Speaker 3: This is the Big Red Rage presented by Santan Bard and Gilbert Smurry's.
Speaker 2: Gonna score touchdown Slim to the ground by Buddha Baker Like a torpedo. He came flying into.
Speaker 4: The back deal.
Speaker 3: The Rage is brought to you by Santan Ford and Gilbert right on the Price, right on the corner of the Santan two to two Freeway in val Vista, Seek your Ticket to Great Seats, and by Arizona Cardinals Podcast Visit Azycardinals dot Com, Slash Podcast.
Speaker 5: All Red Seats, Rising Up.
Speaker 6: Timpt Rising Vision, Flurry Rage, Take it Ober.
Speaker 3: Here's Paul CALVICI.
Speaker 7: I'm ready. I'm one hundred percent ready.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you I'm ready.
Speaker 3: And Ron Woolf play.
Speaker 4: It doesn't get any better than that.
Speaker 8: Leash the fire.
Speaker 7: Everybody is a football GM in August. Yeah, fake football GM. That is hashtag fugazy. But Wolf, we ain't talking about your fantasy football drafts around here. We're talking about drafts in April, the real deal, when the picks determined not only your NFL team, your football future, but your GM's NFL career, and the Cardinals just made the most picks they've ever made in a single draft since nineteen ninety two. And I'm thinking maybe, just maybe, because I think that was the year you left in free agency, so they under started.
Speaker 1: As a matter of fact, Paulie, it was yes, there you go, interesting, all right?
Speaker 7: So here we go. It is the Big Red Rage, presented by santan Ford and Gilbert we are. Santan Ford will be joined momentarily by the assistant general manager, Dave Sears. We're not allowed in the war room, but guess what next, best thing, we'll talk to some and who was in there and a pivotal part of everything that went on. In fact, it was the pivot point in the draft and number four overall. And speaking of we a Q and A with MHJ. Marvin Harrison Junior. We'll hear from him a little bit later in this absolutely loaded edition of The Big Red Rage coming off the twenty twenty four NFL Draft.
Speaker 1: You know one of the things I love, too, Paul about this draft. Of course, last year in twenty twenty three, you had maniasin Ford. He was moving all over the place. Remember that BOLLI moving back, and then he was moving back up and he got Paris Johnson Junior at number six, and he collected a BIVI of draft capital as well. He did a lot of moving around in that first round, and I love the fact that he didn't do that this time around. This time around, he just stayed there right at number four and number twenty seven and made their picks. I like to see the versatility of maniasin for it, even though he did dial it up in day two. I like to see the versatility in a different approach.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you got the quality and you got the quantity. Right, you got arguably the best player in the draft, non quarterback, Marvin Harrison Junior. We'll talk a lot about him coming up a little bit later. Look, there are just certain positions or certain players. I guess you should say that you just can't replace that quantity. Will never replace the quality of a Larry Fitzgerald, for example, to use a comparison of parallel. So I get it in hindsight, I get it now. There are reports that certain teams like Minnesota were willing to give up three first round picks to come up to number three, and New England but maybe that's as far as those teams wanted to go. Maybe for as much love and pub as JJ McCarthy got. Maybe some of those teams who were willing to come up only we're willing for one of the Big three. We'll never know, But there was a lot more beyond that, Wolf. And to me, when you look at this entire class, twelve picks in total, there's just so much intrigue. There's so many guys who have so many intriguing measurables right and accomplishments and in the mindset, and it's just it's going to make for really interesting training camp.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, you're right about that, Paully. But can I also say this right here too, in regard to Monti asin Ford sitting there at number four, Boy, he was he was in such a good spot, right, Polly. I mean, it was gonna be a situation where they were most likely going to get Marvin Harrison Junior, or they were going to get three number ones and a lot more after that. Who knows what kind of change that would have cost. But when you stop and think about it right now, they really were operating from a position of strength in this draft, and I think It's one of the reasons why Monni said, Hey, you know what, don't call me until we're on the clock. I don't even want to talk about it. You better come with your best offer.
Speaker 7: We had the pleasure of opening up the draft party. Did we not yes? And did you not sense that the Red Sea was ready? Was clamoring for Marvin Harrison Junior.
Speaker 1: There's no doubt about it. They wanted Marvin Harrison junior. Paul Honestly, if they didn't, he didn't pick him when they had the opportunity to. Who knows, run Baul.
Speaker 7: So look, we're gonna hear it from the Cardinals first pick in this draft a little bit later. Right now here is the GM Monti Austin for it, because inevitably he gets asked the question from the media, you know about evaluating this year's draft class.
Speaker 9: Can we talk again in two years? It's crazy to say, but we win win. Our scouts grade, We always grade what's this player going to be in by year two? From college the NFL That first year that's a that's a huge jump for these guys. It's a mental change, it's a physical change. They got to learn how we do things. They got to learn our scheme and it's a lot.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 7: So look, the Ringer gave the Cardinals an A plus Pete Prisco, normally not all that up in terms of being positive with anything in the NFL, gave the Cardinals a straight A Chad Ruter NFL dot Com and a minus Field Yates, My favorite draft was the Cardinals. And he actually cited the round three picks in Yes, you know, and MANI joked that he got behind on his snap in round three because the girlinls had four, count them, four round three picks. So Wolf, you tell me Max Melon, Trade Benson, Isaiah Adams, Tip Ryman, I mean, tell us about some of those guys and what stood out to you.
Speaker 1: Yeah for me, Paul, Right now, I've got to focus on the third round. The first three picks of that third round, Trey Bnson, Isaiah Adams the guard out of Illinois, and Tip Ryman the tight end out of Illinois as well. Those three picks right there, when I saw it, I pretty much lost my mind. Paul. I will admit that this was a statement of purpose by Manti asin Ford right here, those three picks to get Trey Benson a running back out of Florida State, the second running back taken in this draft. Stop and think about that. Yeah, but here's a guy that has put together a big unit six feet two hundred and sixteen pounds. Now he's not exactly James Connor. Yet at the same time, what a gift to Tray Benson that he's going to have a mentor in James Connor to learn from coming into the National Football League. I think he makes an immediate impact this season as a rookie. I think Isaiah Adams and Tip Ryman, these two guys bring physicality to the front for the Arizona Cardinals. And I think ultimately, and we'll get into this a little bit later in this beautiful broadcast, but I think, honestly, tip Ryman could be the pass up part two to twelve personnel in the Arizona Cardinals having one of the most physical offenses in the National Football League.
Speaker 7: You already had the fourth ranked rushing attack in the NFL last year, number two in rushing yards per carry, number one in twenty plus yard runs. So now you had a Trey Benson a Tip Ryman. To me, it was Max Melton, who was pick number forty three overall and just everything I'm hearing about you like that one, love this one, and you just a was a need you have Sean Murphy bunting and then okay, Garret Williams is your nickel, but he played half a season, so all right, you need someone to come in and just command that position and everything you hear. And we're gonna ask Dave Sears, the assistant GM, about him momentarily. But I mean his athleticism scores are through the roof. He's really experienced. He's gotten props and praise from Marvin Erison Junior. They locked up a few times during their college careers in the Big Ten, so he's ultra competitive. I just want to see him come in and do what so many of the rookies did last year. Compete. And this coaching staff, JG has proven it. If you can play, you will play right away. Key Trell Clark started from day one, Michael Wilson started from day one. Obviously, Paris Johnson Junior was your starting right tackle from day one. Here's Kyle brand on the NFL Network. This was during the draft coverage, right and he just said, zoom out on the direction the Cardinals are headed.
Speaker 10: I'm ready for the twenty twenty four Arizona Cardinals.
Speaker 7: Let's get into this.
Speaker 10: I have a soft spot for last year's Cardinals. I think they were the toughest four win team I've ever seen. They had quality wins over the Cowboys and the Steelers. They I think they really matter, and I think they annihilated their draft. They get the Marvin Harrison junior pick, It's great, it's like probably the best player in the entire draft.
Speaker 1: And then Darius.
Speaker 10: Robinson the defensive out of Missouri, Max Melton from Rutgers for three, trade Benson the running back. I feel like, man, the Cardinals, I think are really lining up really nicely.
Speaker 7: History says every year there's one team that goes from worse to first. Last year it was the Houston Texans. And what do they do with the second pick overall? They had the offensive rookie of the year. With a third pick overall, they had the defensive rookie of the year. So if Maniacibor is able to string together these two draft classes plus the additions in free agency, once again, it's just the intrigue of where this is indeed all heading.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, Paully, you're right about that. It is. But you know me, you know the way I feel a lot of this even Yeah, I love some of these picks. Okay, Tip Ryman is a guy. Again, We're gonna get into him here momentarily. But can I just tell you right now, I have to adopt the prove it rookie mentality? Can I do that, Paul? Is that okay? If I do that, I just I've seen way too many guys come into the league and for whatever reason, things just don't work out. They don't play like they actually did in college. They their tape in college is totally disparate from what actually happens on a football field at the NFL level. So again, I'm just going to adopt the skeptics approach and say, prove it to these rookies, and it's something that's I'm very very confident many of them will do because of the vetting that Manti as I, Forton JG have in regard to is this guy a culture fit for us here? Is he going to be a guy that is going to play the game of football with everything he's got? Is he going to be that guy or not? That's part of the culture of the Arizona Cardinals. And they vet them very very well before they bring him in, Paul.
Speaker 7: And look, every single coach made you prove it, and Jonathan Ronan is going to make these guys prove it. There's no doubt about it. Once again, that intrigue between what's on the roster, and then you look at the schedule and some of the team's coming to the az and look, now you have a chance to be among the first to buy Cardinals single game tickets. Remember, this NFL schedule is gonna draft, is gonna drop here in the next two weeks or less, we're told. So your register now you get single game ticket purchase links sent right to you as soon as the schedule is released. Right, so you beat guys like Wolf who are always late to the party on this kind of stuff. Right, you got Azycardinals dot com slash first to buy, Azycardinals dot com slash first to buy for all the info, and again you can be among the first to get those purchase links sent right to your inbox as soon as the schedule is released. Azycardinals dot com slash first to buy. All Right, guess what the assistant GM of the Arizona Cardinals takes is inside the war Room. Next, I mean Marvin Rison junr. Forget how he rates in this year's draft. How does he rate in your career? Dave Sears. That is next on the Big Red Rage presented by Santan Ford in Gilbertez.
Speaker 4: Open Hamson Marvin Harrison Junior, milk chance touchdown Ohio State.
Speaker 5: Under pressure, he does he throws end zone touchdown. Marvin Harrison Junior marvelous. Marvin Harrison very taking down. He's come part of the trailer.
Speaker 2: Darius Robinson comes up with a set rattler on third and six, pockets collapsing.
Speaker 7: So is hey, it's Darius Robinson that gets home. Oh look it right, Rose dangerous.
Speaker 5: Ye have picked off.
Speaker 4: By Max Melton.
Speaker 5: This roll is picked off.
Speaker 3: Malachai Melton, Carmy.
Speaker 4: Max count its Trey Penson off to the raceist one.
Speaker 3: Gotta be high stipping.
Speaker 2: He got smoked from the rookies. Touchdown eighty five yards as first down, still running, Trey Penson cat track tax senter pfensive.
Speaker 7: That's the first four of an NFL high twelve picks, the Cardinals first four selections, as the first team to have seven picks in the top ninety since nineteen ninety one, six offensive players, six defensive players makes a dozen and we've got at least a dozen questions for the assistant general manager, Dave Sears, who joins us on the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert We are santan Ford, Davey, have you recovered from it? Was so fast and furious and MONI said, with four picks in round three, for example, he got behind on his snacking. That's how That's how busy you guys were in that war room.
Speaker 6: I do not get behind my snacking.
Speaker 7: That's good. That's good, all right. So look, we're never gonna get access into a war room, so we're gonna live vicariously through you.
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 7: And what just give us a couple of quick takeaways? I mean, did this class distinguish itself beyond just the volume, right, twelve picks? Anything else? Stand about this class compared to maybe others in your career.
Speaker 6: Not specifically in that regard. I think just the way this draft fell, it really fell to our board, and I think we avoided reaches. We didn't have to panic. We were very prepared. We're always prepared. But compared to some drafts I have been in where you're not really excited about who you're taking. At a certain point, you're just taking the best guy on your board, so to speak. We're really excited about all the guys we got this year, and that's not, you know, just hyperbole.
Speaker 7: You know, otherwise you probably would have traded some of those picks right. And some of these guys, it's interesting because a lot of them spent four to six years in college, and I'm curious how far back do your notes go, you know, as a personnel department, how long you've been tracking most of these players.
Speaker 6: You know, multiple years minimum. Sometimes some of these guys that have been six year guys, it might be three years where we may have anticipated possibly in early out underclassmen. And we did some filmwork on the guy, so you know, a guy like Xavier Thomas, I know, Mini made the comment we feel like we've been scouting him along. We have been scouting him a long time, so we're very familiar with that player. There wasn't really a point of emphasis to take guys with this much experience. I think because of the volume of picks we had, you can make a lot of tie ins to certain players. Just because we took twelve guys, So there's going to be commonalities there. The commonality there's going to be more so in terms of the quality of player. We thought they were the necessarily experience.
Speaker 7: You know what's remarkable, And I mentioned when you came in, Hey, there was no snow in Detroit. That was the good news. You spent all those years of the Lions, sixteen years before you rejoined Mania support here in the az They set a draft attendance record of nearly eight hundred thousand fans and there were nearly eight hundred thousand mock drafts leading up to their How do you explain the insatiable appetite for fans in the draft? I find it amazing. How about you?
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, it was really awesome to see all those still shots and camera shots of Detroit really out of those guys, and I think that has a lot to do with what Dan and Brad, Chris Pielman, you know, all those guys up there. I was around those guys. The positive energy, what they're doing with that team, the excitement that the city now has about the Lions is I think very responsible for what they did in downtown.
Speaker 11: People love the draft.
Speaker 6: I think it's exciting. I think it's everybody can envision themselves in a general manager chair easier than they can envision themselves, you know, rushing an eighty r touchdown. You know, like there's no specific physical qualities to be a general manager. So I think people have a lot of fun with it. You see all the mock drafts. There's just always been an interest in it, you know. I mean, it's really not as exciting as people think it is. It's not even close for the most part.
Speaker 7: But and everybody does fantasy football, right, So okay, you're right, you're right. They extrapolate Dave Cyrus, Cardinal's assistant general manager. All right, so you mentioned Chris Spielman. Give us this scot of report on yourself as a former college inside linebacker at Springfield in Massachusetts.
Speaker 6: Yeah, slow, small, lack length. It's tough and instinctive, though, there you go.
Speaker 7: I see. And at what point did you see yourself in a war room? At what point did you think, you know what? I'd love to do that for a living.
Speaker 6: I was always into the draft. I could probably I grew up actually a Denver Broncos fan. I could probably tell you everybody that was on their roster at any given point. I was kind of a nerd like that. I really loved watching the games, but almost watched it like a scout at times, studying individual matchups things like that. Always felt I had an eye for that kind of stuff and could always knew I wanted to work in sports, specifically football, and so I didn't know, Hey, I want to be an area scout or something like that. I didn't really know what the roles in the business were, but I remember Charlie Casseley came and talked at Springfield College. That's who originally hired me, and I knew kind of then, like, hey, this is really something I'd like to pursue.
Speaker 7: Dave Cyrus, Cardinal's assistant general manager. Let's start right at the top. Marvin Harrison Junior, And here's my question. Forget about comparing him to this year's class. How does he compare to other receivers in your career? Because that's what you hear with him. Generational player.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean that term probably gets thrown out a little more than it should. But Marvin, I think in any given class, as a top ten pick, you know, he has that feel. He's got size, he's got speed, he's got the production. You put on the tape, the guy jumps off the tape, he's got Hall of Fame lineage. I mean, there's not a lot of boxes you can't check with Marvin, the character of the work, ethic, the intelligence.
Speaker 7: So is he the best?
Speaker 6: I mean you can always argue that kind of stuff, but he's in that conversation, and certainly.
Speaker 7: When he's a freshman and he's competing against Garrett Wilson and Chris Olave and Jackson Smith and Jigmu and all these first round picks, I mean, you know, the competitive fire has got to be there, correct, Yeah.
Speaker 6: I mean that place has just been a wide receiver factory the last few years and a player factory for a long time. So when a guy does what he does there and just immediately makes an impact, that's something you take notes of.
Speaker 7: The second interior defensive lineman selecting this draft, Darius Robinson at number twenty seven. He was sitting right there and asked him, all right, every player takes on bridge with something, there's Scott and report. What didn't you like about what was said about you? He said, you know what, he like, everyone made a big deal about my performance of the Senior Bowl where he was voted Player of the Week, because that was me every week. What'd you see on film with Darius Robinson?
Speaker 6: I think what stands out is right off the bat, the guy's got a motor like you notice how active he is, his versatility from year to year, the way he's basically played every alignment you could play on the defensive line. Then this year he stood up more, which is something that only adds to his value. We see him more probably with his hand in the dirt as a defensive lineman, but a guy in certain packages you can put him in a two point stance and he can still get the job done. He can add weight, he can drop away, He's very flexible and everything about his game. But I mean you saw him when he was sitting in this chair of extremely impressive physical profile on the guy. He's big, he's long, he's athletics, so he should be a very versatile tool for DJIGI.
Speaker 7: All right, so you guys get Marvin Harrison junior, you get Darius Robinson a round one, You go into day two, round two, and Mania supports said, we got a ton of trade off at thirty five. What is it about being at the top of round two that it makes it so popular.
Speaker 6: Well, I think it's there's always going to be some players that every team's board is different. That's the first thing. There's not one board that everybody ascribes to. So there's always going to be some players sitting out there to where you thought they were a first rounder or they would be gone by pick twenty, and oh my god, they're still on the board. Every team has those few guys who starts slipping, and so maybe you're sitting there at fit pick fifty and you never thought this guy would still be there at thirty five, So it's worth it to give something up to go get that player because you didn't think he would be available to you. So once that idea starts to become a reality of we might actually get said player we really like, then you're willing to give the assets to go get him.
Speaker 7: But as Moni said, you must have a number of players you like because you never know. For example, at number forty, Cooper's gene goes right at forty one, kool A McKinstry, at forty two, Kamari Lasser. All of a sudden, there's a run on corners right in front of the Cardinals at forty three. I mean, just in general, how often does that happen? How often do you have to you think it's training one way and then instantly you got to pivot another direction.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think you're always ready, or you should always be ready for what happens. And that's why you stack your board, That's why you do it over years, over months leading into the drafts. So there shouldn't you shouldn't be emotional about it, and it should simply be if the guy you are about to pick goes, the next card comes off the board, it should be as calculated as that. Sometimes it's not. Sometimes you fall in love with players which you want to stay away from because you end up paying too much for the shoes, which Dave or as a scout buddy of mine, likes to say. You want to avoid doing that, and so you want to just try and keep the emotion out of it and just stay with your board.
Speaker 7: Give me a quick word on pick number forty three, Max Smelton, because a lot was made about his performance two years in a row against Marvin Harrison Junior in their Big Ten matchups.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's certainly a tape you're gonna watch. Anytime you're scouting these players, you look for matchups because you want to compare best on best. You want to see the good opponent tapes, and he performed really well in those matchups. He's a guy that we like the athleticism. He's the only guy at the combine. I think that ran for four forty in broad jump eleven, which is insane athletic ability. We think that's in his body. We think we can continue to develop the guy. He's been developed really well to this point. He's played a lot of games. I think I think he started forty games at Rutgers. He's got four block kicks, excellent special teams player. So there's gonna be a lot of ways in which we feel like Max can contribute to us.
Speaker 7: Hey, Dave Sears is our guest in the Big Red Rage Cardinals assistant general manager. I'm gonna skip around a little bit because you know JG mentioned to the media you can see a pattern and a lot of the picks, and then we tried to sort of fill in the blanks on that what he meant by that, And you know they like to use the term all ball. You know, I just get the sense for these this team, in this front office, you better be deadly serious about football, better have the physicality. And we look at round three pick Tip Ryman out of Illinois, the tight end, and not only is he six five two seventy one, but I see a next gen stat that his athleticism score was above and beyond brock Bauers. So please tell us about Tip Ryman. Yeah, well, hopefully you don't.
Speaker 6: See too much of a pattern so people don't know what we're gonna take. But yeah, Tip is a guy that we really liked. The tape and the receiving production quote unquote in terms of statistical production wasn't quite at the level some of these other prospects, but that because he's not involved in much as much in the Illinois scheme doesn't mean he can't do it. And at the East West we really got a feel for Hey, this guy can run routes, he's got good speed, he can catch the ball. He really kind of showed that off. When you combine that with the level of blocking with our system that I think we were number one in the league in thirteen personnel last year. We've were on a lot of twelve personnel, so we're gonna play a lot of tight ends. We have a very good young tight end room with all the guys we got in that room. You know, Higgins, White, hard vocalect and of course Trey really exploded last year. So this guy's going to be a nice piece. He gives us some more versatility and just increases the competition an already strong room.
Speaker 7: We feel like, let's go back to Xavier Thomas freshman All American as you mentioned, but that was a while ago. He was you know, six years and I mean coming out of high school. He's ready to ahead of Micah Parsons. So in terms of athletic ability, what is this ceiling on Xavier Thomas? And I'm thinking in round five that must have really stood out as by low Sell High.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, Xavier is a guy that was a really big recruit. Tore it up his freshman year, hit some adversity, some injuries, things like that, ended up kind of coming full circle. Had an excellent year this past year. And the guy can really rush the passer. And that's the main thing that stands out. The motor, the twitch off the ball. He can do it from a two point stance, the three point stance, had some good matchups on film this year games he played really well. And he's another guy that went to the East West Game and really showed up. So it was kind of you're sitting there one of those situations I spoke about where you weren't expecting Xavier Thomas to be there in the fifth round because of his pass rush traits, and it was just too good to pass up.
Speaker 4: At that point.
Speaker 7: Yeah, when you have coaches like at the Shrine Bowl and Senior Bowl and Cardinals had both, and it seemed like a lot of these players really shined in those All Star games, but then you also had coaches there the whole week on and off the field. How valuable is that in the personnel evaluation process? Have that intel?
Speaker 6: Yeah, any time you have one of your coaches working with a guy for five or six days, that's invaluable because you get a feel for his true personality. You get to see him in the cafteria, hanging out with his friends, in the meeting room, how he behaves, how does he learn all these kinds of things. You get to build a personal relationship with a guy, so you trust that insight, probably more than anything else about the person you're going to be getting and then also you get to watch him up close, practicing and competing every day. So that kind of stuff's great. You know, sometimes you can fall in love with a player, which isn't great, you know, just because you do have all that insight into the guy. So you've got to be worried of not doing that. But our coaches did an excellent job that was really invaluable this year, and they've changed the way that they do the Senior Bowl. I've been on plenty of teams that actually the whole staff would go down and coach the Seniable. Now it's a sort of coaches from around the league. They give everybody a shot at it, which which benefits a lot of people. But certainly our guys jumped at the chance to do that, and it was invaluable.
Speaker 7: Because in general, I mean, so much of the process before you actually send in a name on a card. There's a lot that's done beyond the game film, right, Yeah. And when I hear MANI and JG talk, I mean there's the zoom meetings, there's the combine, there's a thirty visit. Potentially they talk about being convicted about a player. How do you define that. What does that mean exactly?
Speaker 6: I think it means that you feel like you've nailed the value of the player and you believe in it. So when you take this guy wherever you take him, everybody is on board with what the role is, what kind of a kid he is? First of all, what kind of like you talk about? You know, JG's criteria for the kind of people we bring in here. He sets the tone for that. He's the driver of the organization. So when we're all on board with, yes, this guy fits what we want in this building, then we're convicted. And then we just have to get the value right in terms of the talent.
Speaker 7: Dave Cyrus, Cardinal's assistant general manager. I guess in the Big Red Rage, all right, Isaiah Adams, we talked about we talked about this pattern, right, His coach Bert Biolama, right, he described him as quote a jerk on game days, and I'm like, okay, displays the force and attitude teams look for as a block finisher. Is that a parent on film? Can you see the nasty on film?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 6: Yeah, this guy's am all er. I mean he'll get after you. And that's you know, we just talked about those traits you're looking for, and we're looking for grimy offensive linemen and who are going to put your face in the dirt, you know, And this guy is that kind of a guy.
Speaker 1: He loves ball.
Speaker 6: He's a finisher, very unselfish player who had to play both right tackle and left tackle. We see him as more of a guard in the NFL, but he has that flex if necessary. But yeah, he has the makeup the guys. Canadian kid obviously played some ball there, played at junior college. But you can see the adversity and the love of the game in the path this guy's taken.
Speaker 7: Him and Trey Benson, this is a guy who will run it between the tackles and a home run hitter.
Speaker 6: He's got that speed, yeah you're talking about. He had three touchdowns of over eighty yards in his two years of Florida State, one rush, one receiving, one kick return. So the guy is an explosive playmaker.
Speaker 7: That's fairly obvious. See this helps us get through the preseason dape. That's why we appreciate that, all right, not only twelve picks, but there's all this intrigue, right, there's all these guys. You're like, Wow, I mean, okay, look at the potential up side, and then there's just the competition that you guys have created with two draft classes and everything else you've done, I mean the defensive line room. You hit the big red Resa button on that between free agency and the draft, so a lot to look forward to. We appreciate the insight and uh, you know, all all the best as you guys continue with the offseason. We enjoyed it.
Speaker 6: Thanks Dave, Hey, thanks a lot, Paul, appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 7: There you go, Dave Cyrus, Cardinal's assistant general manager. We continue with a big Red Rage presented by Santan Ford in gilbert.
Speaker 4: O Marvin Harrison Junior, no chance touchdown Ohio State.
Speaker 5: And then under pressure hit as he throws heads in touchdown Marvin Harrison Junior.
Speaker 4: Marvelous Marvin Harrison over the middle, Harrison Junior again.
Speaker 2: Down the side, touchdown speed agility.
Speaker 7: How Marvin Harrison Junior and Marvin Harrison Senior the first father son duo to each be drafted in the first round in the modern draft era going back to nineteen sixty seven. And when we mentioned that to him on the draft stage in front of the red scene, Wolf you're out there as well. You could just see him pause. That was really meaningful to Marvin Harrison Junior, that connection with his dad, and it is something that definitely drives him. In fact, we'll get into that momentarily. It is the Big Red Rage presented by Santan Ford in Gilbert Paul calvic Ron Wolfley in special thanks again to the assistant GM Dave Sears. And he heard his comments on Tip Bryman right there and now underutilized. He was in the Illinois passing offense. We'll get more into the maybe not so blocking tight end a little bit later, but he also talked about Marvin Harrison Junior wolf and just what jumped off the page of the Scotty Report, not just him making plays, but it's the work ethic, it's the character, it's the IQ and then of course it is the lineage of Marvin Harrison Junior.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it really is, PAULI. There's just so many things to like about this kid and how he goes about his business. But just it's going to open up a world, a brand new world for Kyler Murray to have a true wide receiver one a guy with that kind of talent. What I love about Marvin Harrison Junior is the fact that he's built so low to the ground. His hips are actually very low to the ground, which allows him to run very precise and accurate routes. And yet he's got a long torso, Polly, He's got a long torso, which is one of the reasons why he's over sixty three. And when you're over sixty three, man, there's a big canopy. You're like a tree running in the secondary. I've talked about this, use this analogy before. It's the truth, and I think it's going to help Kyler Murray as well in regard to making his reads. A guy that is a very good route runner with Kyler Murray. Can't wait to see the chemistry these guys can actually build together.
Speaker 7: Yeah, how many times did the gim Moniasifort tell the media that just when you watch Marvin Harrison Junior play, he's a big man who runs routes like a small man. Yep, he has that sort of agility. And then you know, you talk to Marvin Harrison Junior and to realize just how mature he is. And it goes back to the Ohio State, the factory of receivers and all those first round guys that he was practicing against as a true freshman. So if there's anyone poised to make an instant impact in the NFL, you got to figure Marvin Harrison Junior has as good a shot as anyone. And that's sort of where we started some of our conversation with Marvin Harrison Junior right here in this studio earlier in the week.
Speaker 11: Yours truly, and Craig Griolou your game. We know what the numbers are, We've seen the highlights. Is there an aspect of your game that you want to improve upon and get better at?
Speaker 8: I mean everything? Really, I think you can never be too good at one thing. I think get different. My dad just always I'm looking for improvement and whether than that is your round running, even though it may be my strength or other, it's my catch radius in my hands. Boss goes done tracking a ball over to show there.
Speaker 7: I'm guessing you've been asked a lot the pressure element of being the son of a Hall of famer, But let me ask you how much that has driven you to just try and match your dad's expertise.
Speaker 8: Yeah, definitely, he's driven me a lot, I guess I've always had expectations since I was a little kid. You see Harrison Junior in the back of your jersey. Now, everybody's expecting big things. But I think that's definitely have left to drive you a little bit. But just try to be the best person I can be.
Speaker 11: I got to tell you the expectations that the Bird gang has for you on this team with Kyler Murray coming in a position of need, and then once upon a time Larry Fitzgerald that comparison people have brought him up alongside you. Now you guys are wearing the same uniform.
Speaker 1: What is your.
Speaker 11: Knowledge of fits? Have you met or spoken with Larry Fitzgerald.
Speaker 8: I've not met her spoken with fitz I just remember him catching a lot of passes and not dropping many, So hopefully I can do the same.
Speaker 7: So for everything that they test for at the combine, right, what don't they test for that is so critical to being a good receiver?
Speaker 8: Just who you are as a person, Like what's your worth ethic? Like what are your how you determined your motivation? What's your daily routine and your schedule? How do you prepare for the game? I mean, I think that's something that you can't really test about doing the forty or vertical jump bench press, whatever that may be. So, and that's a very intricate part that is very important.
Speaker 11: Away from the game.
Speaker 7: What do you like to do for fun?
Speaker 11: What occupies your time that release if you will, because it can't be football twenty four So yeah.
Speaker 8: I just like to be in the house, watch some movies. If I do go out, I'll probably at a restaurant. So very game, you guys see me out, feel free to say hi. I've probably add some restaurant ordering a stake or something. But other than that, that's probably it.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 7: My last question has to do with Kyler murray Man. He was fired up in the video but on social media that must have made you feel good.
Speaker 8: And it makes me feel great to have the support and love your quarterback already obviously have to go out there and earn his trust now, so now I have to go to earn his trust, and.
Speaker 7: Here he is speaking of the devil. That's good, Kyler't you sit in, I grab a seat.
Speaker 4: I'm ready to go.
Speaker 8: Yeah, alright, that's good.
Speaker 7: Well, the timing, I'm no doubt that's what's knowing around here now is a studio bomb, there's Kyler Murray just bum rushing in at the precise correct moment. Apparently he was work wandering around the facility looking for his brand new receiver, and oh, there he is doing a radio interview. No whatever, I'll just go in and say hey, and that was good stuff. So wow, yeah, Ko Pauli, Kyler's in a really upbeat mood. I'll just tell you that much right now. In fact, you see where he saw. He told Fox Digital last week he said, there is no quarterback more locked in than.
Speaker 1: Me right now. So that's awesome.
Speaker 7: You talk about winning the off season. From all indications, that's exactly what Kyler has been doing. And by the way, up on the stage of the draft party, you might have you are on the air, but Paris Johnson Junior told the crowd after we were done interviewing Marvin Harrison Junior via the jumbo tron in the uplink, he said, quote, I think that's the most explosive combination in the country. You have a quarterback in Kyler that nobody can touch, and now you have a receiver that can't be guarded as a tackle. How can you not want to block for that end? Quote Paris Johnson Junior, who saw it and lived it when he was blocking for Marvin Harrison junior back at Ohio State.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, Paully, and there's no doubt about it. That's a very cool comment right there. And Kyler Murray and the talent is fantastic. But Paully, can I tell you right now, this could be the most physical offense in the National Football League? I kid you not right now. If my suspicions are correct and some key players make the adjustment to the NFL they need to make, right, just prove it, rook. They're going to be able to go twelve personnel and run down situation first and ten second and one to six, and they're going to line up in twelve personnel. I think we might lead the league in twelve personnel as a matter of fact, and run down situation. We're going to attack line of scrimmage with James Connor. We're gonna do it with Trey Benson as well. Attack the line of scrimmage and then use play action to throw the ball down the field. It's the reason why it was so important for Kyler Murray to get under center and to actually learn how to play from under center. This could be the most physical offense in the National Football League in twelve personnel and rundown and I can't wait to see it.
Speaker 7: And then the big play potential Marvin Rrison Junior, Michael Wilson and Company, Trey McBride and guess what you can be among the first to buy Cardinals single game tickets. Register now and get single game ticket purchase links sent right to you. They'll email them right to you as the schedule is released. Go to Asycardinals dot com, slash first to buy, Azcardinals dot com, slash first to buy for all the info Asycardinals dot com slash first to buy All Right, let's get into it bowls on question favorite player in this draft is next on the Big Red Rage presented by Santan Ford in Gilbert.
Speaker 4: Trey Benson until racist one guy to be high stupid.
Speaker 2: He got smoke from the Hunkies. Touchdown eighty five yards, first towns tell running, Trey Papson Zide pt track touch Shaffer.
Speaker 4: Bedson empty sent for Bartell on the We're down at ten and he gets Thomas Xavier Thomas, the first tiger in there flows on the crown.
Speaker 2: And hits, scoop time a twenty five yard line.
Speaker 7: Xavier Thomas inside the.
Speaker 2: Ten and Thomas out of bounds inside the five yard line.
Speaker 11: Think about it.
Speaker 7: Xavier Thomas, as a freshman, was in the National Championship game against Alabama when Clemson won it all. He got twenty snaps in the National title game. He was a freshman All American coming out of high school. Not only was a five star recruit, but the national recruiting rankings went Trevor Lawrence won justin fields two who Micah Parsons five? Number three was Xavier Thomas, the Cardinals' fifth round pick out of Clemson. It is a big red rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert. We are santan Ford, Paul kelvc Ron Wolfley and that's what I mean. Well, but just by intrigue is oozing from this class a dozen picks. You have three undrafted guys. And by the way, the Colorado receiver. I've heard a ton of great feedback about Xavier Weaver. Just go ahead and google him up and watch some of his ridiculous highlights. Tajon Palmer round six. Another receiver with size and speed and that dog mentality. So once again we didn't you know, in preseason we always want those guys to get us through. We have more than enough guys here, Ron Wolfan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, now you're right about that, PAULI. Right now, what's cool about this? You know, in regard to who you're gonna follow, paul who you're really going to pay an awful lot of attention to. Of these young guys that are joining the team this year. Marvin Harrison Junior is going to stick out like a sore thumb. There's there's my prediction for you, PAULI, right or no. I could be wrong on that, but we'll have to wait and see. I think he's just gonna he's gonna stick out. I think, honestly, Darius Robinson is the guy that I want to follow around. This is a guy that I really really like. Where are they gonna line him up? Where's he gonna be? Especially when it's third and obvious pass situation? Where is Robinson going to be? I don't know where it is, PAULI. Whether it's going to be a three technique lined up over the outside shoulder of the guard, maybe a five technique. Is he gonna Are they gonna put him out on the edge. Will they ever do that. They're gonna put him over the center. Typically for most teams, the weakest pass blocker a lot of times is the opposing team center. I mean, you're gonna put him over there. They used to do that with Reggie White all the time. Cover up the two guards and then cover up that center with Reggie White. We'll see what happens there. But we're gonna follow Darius Robinson very closely. And then Paul number eighty two drafted in the third round. Tip Ryman, Tip Brian and Paul. It's the tip of the spear for this offense being the most physical offense in the league coming up in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 7: Yeah, if six five, two seventy one, did it get it done for you as a blocking tight end. The following answer during his conference call Tip Ryman when he was asked what's the best thing about being a blocking tight end?
Speaker 1: Malleling somebody.
Speaker 4: I like putting my hands on somebody and doing.
Speaker 1: What I want and just move them exactly where I want it and against their will. It's it's fun.
Speaker 11: I feel like it's a gift the Lord gave me, and I'm honoring him.
Speaker 1: And doing that, Pauli, That's exactly the way I felt when I would run down the field and bust wedges. Yeah, kid, you nod. It was like, thank you, Lord God for letting me do this. It was the greatest thing in the world. Run down the field full speed and just camer some dude right in the face. It was I mean that, Paulie. You know me, I'm being serious.
Speaker 7: Here's what's amazing. This is a guy who was a walk on, ended up a team Illinois. Yes, an academic All American, a guy who the next Gen Stats athleticism score ranking had ahead of Brock Bowers, the tight end out of Georgia who went the thirteenth overall. His athleticism score was higher than Brock Bauers. So when you hear Dave Siris tell us earlier in this show the assistant GM that they just didn't feature him much in the passing game, you wonder, just, Okay, what's under the hood this we're gonna find out about.
Speaker 1: Yes, Pauli, they're gonna take Tip Ryman. He's gonna be the true stud tight end. They're gonna line him up at the y. They're gonna have Marvin Harrison junior and Michael Wilson. Think how big those receivers are. And then they're gonna have Trey McBride as the move tight end with James Connor or maybe Trey Bentzon lined up with their toes at seven attacking the line of scrimmage. When you got a stud tight end like Tip Ryman and what he can do. And now Trey McBride, who, by the way, how well did he block last year?
Speaker 7: Paul, Yeah, pretty darn good, actually really good.
Speaker 1: Yes, it takes a lot of pride in it. Now he's gonna be your booth tight end. I'm telling you, Paul. The Arizona Cardinals my prediction they lead the league in twelve personnel and rundown situation, which is first and ten second and one to six because of that personnel grouping.
Speaker 7: Look, it's it's out here real quick. When Jonathan Gannon said to the media, you notice a pattern in this draft class and the Cardinals draft picks the last two years. Number one is they're all ball. They're deadly serious about football. We've come to realize that doing his TV show. I mean that matters to the head coach. And then number two, this group of decision makers firmly believe it's a big man's game. They get big running backs, they get big receivers, they get big tight ends like Tip Ryman, offensive lineman, defensive lineman like Darius Robinson. They believe it's a big man's game. Now there's room for athleticism and skill, which brings me to my second favorite player behind Max Melton. The guy that I want to see goes by the name Rabbit because he was an outstanding running back most of his life, even going into college, he was a standout running back and then they switched him to safety. And he has a lot of similar traits to a Buddha Baker and a Jala Thompson, a very similar style in that he's very versatile, very athletic. You can play him in the box, you can play him center field, and guess what, you can never have too many dbs, especially if this guy can cover Okay Paully.
Speaker 1: And here's my sleeper right here. Christian Jones taken in the fifth round, one hundred and sixty two. He's an offensive tackle from Texas Polly. He started forty eight of a possible sixty one games he was at Texas.
Speaker 7: At Texas, yes yes.
Speaker 1: Would you say, Paully right now that Texas plays a high level of football, Yes, yes, guy to get this kid, I love it because he's he's a guy that is is built from the inside out man and how he approaches the game of football, and the fact that he was not a football player his whole life. Paulie, I know you know the story about him, but Christian Jones is a guy that to me, I can't wait to see how he develops. He was so productive, I mean allowing some of the least amount of pressures in all of college football over the course of a two year period. This guy has been so productive at a high level. I can't wait to see does that translate over to the NFL.
Speaker 7: And this draft was so loaded in tackles it was another year he might have gone in the third round. Yeah right, you know, and you're right. He walked into high school as a freshman. He's one of the biggest kids on campus. The Texas football coach at the high school said, hey, why aren't you playing football? He said, I'm a soccer player, and the coach said, yeah, when that doesn't work out, come find me. And by a sophomore year he went to go find the football coach.
Speaker 1: That's right, PAULI oh.
Speaker 7: Hey special, thanks as always Jim al moanro Cody Fincher, Technical director Matt Lazarus to assist in GM Dave Sears a reminder once again be among the first to buy Cardinals single game tickets. Register now. It's single game ticket purchase links sent right to you as soon as the schedule is released, probably in less than two weeks. Here go to Azycardinals dot com slash first to buy Bron Wolfley on Paul KELVYC. This has been the Big Red Rage presented by Santanford and Gilbert. We are santan Ford.
Speaker 3: You've been listening to the Big Red Rage presented by Santanford and Gilbert right on the Price, right on the corner of the Santan two to two Freeway and Valvesta.
Speaker 7: The Rage is brought to you by.
Speaker 3: Seat Geek your ticket to Great Seats and by Arizona Cardinals Podcasts. Visit Azycardinals dot com Slash podcast. This has been an exclusive presentation of the Arizona Cardinals Football Club