Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, Radio News.
Speaker 2: Good morning, I'm Karen Moscow and I'm John Tucker.
Speaker 3: Here are these stories we're following today.
Speaker 4: John, we begin with new developments in the Middle East. President Trump says talk to the Ron will begin this afternoon after he called off a planned attack on Iran. The President says he stepped back from the latest attacks following appeals from Saudi Arabia and other US allies in the region. And here's what he told reporters yesterday on BOARDI Air Force One.
Speaker 5: We're talking to them in the form of a negotiation. It begins tomorrow afternoon, and we'll see you. But sure, I'd love to do that, save a lot of lives, save a lot of a lot of unnecessary power, to be honest with you, or take many many years to have a build it back if it good. But I don't think it would be even build a boat back. So we had a we had an attack that would be the biggest attack since World War Two.
Speaker 4: And President Trump suggested a deal on reopening the straight up horror moves may be close. We get more from Bloomberg opinion columnist Mark Champion.
Speaker 6: He needs a deal, but he needs a deal that looks like a win for him, and that's going to be hard because at the moment, all that's being discussed is the status of the Strait of Hormuz, which was opened before the war and is only an issue now as a result of the war. It's not exactly a victory if you end up with an outcome where none of the things that you said you were going to the war have been dealt with, such as the nuclear program, but you have got a deal to reopen the Strait of Hormuz that gives Iran control that it didn't have before the war.
Speaker 4: And Bloomberg opinion columnist Mark Champion this morning, an Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman says Aroun currently has no negotiations with the US.
Speaker 3: And Karen in Washington, the acting Attorney General Todd Blanch says he is formally rescinding an order creating an anti weaponization fund. Let's get to tales from Bloomberg's Monica Ricks.
Speaker 2: Acting Attorney General Todd Blinch has issued a formal announcement scrapping an anti weaponization fund that could have paid one point eight billion dollars to President Trump's allies, including January sixth rioters, and he further clarified the scope of the president sweeping immunity deal with the IRS. That move could now potentially clear the way for his confirmation as Attorney General. A Senate Judiciary vote's been rescheduled for tomorrow after Blanche reached an agreement with Senator John Cornyan, who'd been a holdout, insisting Blanche get rid of that fund permanently. Monica Ricks Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 4: Right, Monica, thank you, Abile Key. Senators have unveiled a short term a spending bill to avoid a government shot down during the middle of campaign season. The bill would keep federal agencies funded past the midterm elections through December eleventh. The Senate is likely to vote on the measure before leaving Washington at the end of the week for its traditional August recess. By extending government funding now, lomickers can use the ensuing months to work out their differences on funding for the full year.
Speaker 3: Let's turn to the markets, where futures are higher as we begin a new trading month. This year's favorites the chip stocks, coming off a pretty rough July. The Philadelphia Stock Exchange a semiconductor index, the socks plunge twenty one percent that was its worst month in eighteen years, and today in South Korea, the Cosby Index that's a bell weather for AI investments, fill more than five percent after surging a record eighteen percent on Friday, John the.
Speaker 4: US is rushed to the aid of Japan to help prop up their ailing currency, its first joint action intervention on the en in fifteen years, and Treasury Secretary Scott Bessen posted on x both the US and Japan will not hesitate to intervene again. Japan's Finance Minister, Santsuki Kadayama back that statement up when she spoke to reporters this morning in Tokyo.
Speaker 7: We will not hesitate to conduct further joint intervention. The Japanese Ministry of Finance and the US Treasury will take decisive actions if any disorderly movements are detected, and those actions will be implemented. I am telling you that we are prepared to take actions at all times.
Speaker 4: And Japan's Finance minister, speaking through an interpreter. The rare coordinated intervention comes as the yen has been hovering around multi decade lows. Following the intervention, the yen is strengthening. It's up three tenths of up percent this morning against the dollar at one fifty six point ninety six.
Speaker 3: And on the economic Friday in the US, investors they're going to be looking ahead to Friday. That's when we get the jobs report for the month of July. And let's get a preview now from Bloomberg's Michael McKee.
Speaker 8: Investors bets on a rate increase next month, hang on a strong enough economy to absorb an increase in the cost of borrowing. The Fed's first measure of that is the July jobs report out Friday. The labor market scorecard is likely to be acceptable. Most economists haven't formalized their forecasts yet, and the employment readings in this week's ISM, manufacturing and services reports and Wednesday's ADP survey may lead some to make adjustments going into the week. However, the consensus is for little change in hiring, something just short of one hundred thousand or so. Unemployment is expected to be unchanged at four point two percent. Those kinds of numbers would reassure the Central Bank, not guaranteeing a rate move, but making one possible. Michael McKee, Bloomberg Radio All.
Speaker 4: Right, Michael, thank you. We have word this morning of a possible transatlantic mega deal in the drug making industry. We get more with Bloomberg's Charlie Pellett.
Speaker 9: Sources Tall Bloomberg the UK's AstraZeneca has explored an acquisition of Bristol Myers Squib, which is based in New Jersey. It's a potential mega deal that would create one of the world's largest drug makers. Bloomberg News says the companies have held early stage discussions about combining, but it's unclear if those discussions are ongoing. Bristol Myers Squib has a market cap of one hundred and thirty three point four billion dollars. Astra Zeneca has a value of one hundred and ninety five point nine billion pounds or about one hundred thirty three billion dollars in New York. Charlie Pellett, Bloomberg Radio, All right.
Speaker 4: Charlie, thank you. And in early trading, shares of astra Zeneca they're down about six percent, while Bristol's Bristol Myers Squib those shares they're up eight point seven percent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's get an update on Europe's wildfire season in Greece, deadly fires west of Athens are mainly under control. This morning. About five hundred firefighters tackle that place. It's burned more than twenty four thousand acres. A heat wave has eased in southwest France, helping firefighters to contain blazes near Bordell. Fire activity is also eased in Spain, while UK firefighters have been working to control a wildfire in southeastern England. A meteorologists warned the weather patterns support weeks of hot, dry conditions. The dangerous fire season may linger well into the fall.
Speaker 4: And we have a programming note here. John. Bloomberg Radio is introducing a new feature exclusively for Bloomberg dot Com subscribers and terminal clients. You can help shape our conversations by submitting questions for our analysts and experts to answer live on air. Subscribers, you can go to Bloomberg dot com slash ask Radio descending questions and you may just hear them asked on the air. That's Bloomberg dot Com slash ask Radio.
Speaker 9: All right, thanks Karen.
Speaker 3: That brings us to five eight on Wall Street Time for a look at some of the other stories making news in New York and around the world. For that we're joined by Bloomberg's Michael Barr. Good morning, John. We have devastating wildfires in the US as well. In eastern Washington. State authorities say wildfires force the evacuation of sixty thousand people in the Spokane area, including patients at its US Veterans Affairs Hospital. The fires have destroyed at least six hundred homes, businesses, and other structures. US Unager Maria Catwell was at the scene of one burned out neighborhood.
Speaker 10: We now know that there are thousands of Washingtonians in Spokane area that had to be evacuated.
Speaker 7: We know there are hundreds of homes that have been destroyed.
Speaker 11: The fires have burned more than eight point two square miles. They've been among dozens of fires across the western US. No deaths have yet been reported from the fires in the Spokane area. Republican Ohio Senator Bernie Moreno called on his ex son in law, Ohio Representative Max Miller to resign in the US House amid allegations of physical violence against Miller's former wife and daughter on social media. Miller denied the allegations. Miller also says that he will remain in the race and win in November.
Speaker 12: Every one of these allegations traces back to a single source, my former wife. I filed for divorce in August of twenty twenty four. That October, she admitted under oath that I had never harmed our daughter.
Speaker 11: As for the allegations against Miller, President Trump said he would look at it, saying so far its accusations. A flight attendant strike at Canada's second largest airline could impact the US. West Jet Airlines serves more than a dozen US States. Bargaining Committee member Cameron Jones says they went on strike Sunday following failed talks.
Speaker 3: The goal is that we're expecting the federal government to protect our right to strike and allow bargaining to happen at the bargaining table as it's designed to do under the Candid Labor Code.
Speaker 11: One big stumbling block, the union says WestJet uses one method to pay flight attendants when the aircraft is in motion, and another to compensate for groundwork. Flight attendants argue the system is unfair, saying it results in as many as thirty five hours a month of unpaid work. Global News twenty four hours a day, and whenever you want it with Bloomberg News Now. I'm Michael Barr, and this is Bloomberg.
Speaker 13: Thanks Michael.
Speaker 4: Time now for our Bloomberg Sports update, and for that we bring in John stash Hour.
Speaker 10: Hotest even baseball has used to be. The Boston Red Sox twenty three and three since July ThReD finished a shocking sweep of the Dodgers in LA. The Red Sox hit four solo home runs and one eight to four. Baseball trade deadline six Eastern today, veteran Kevin Gossman just got traded by Toronto to the Cubs. The Mets traded pitcher Freddie Peralta to Tampa Bay, and the Washington Nationals traded slugging first base from Luis Garcia Junior to the Yankees. That's you Bloomberg Sports Update.
Speaker 4: Stay with us more from Bloomberg day Break coming up after this.
Speaker 1: Coast to coast on Bloomberg Radio, nationwide on Sirius Exam, and around the world on Bloomberg dot Com and the Bloomberg Business app. This is Bloomberg Daybreak.
Speaker 4: And good morning. I'm Karen Moscow. Alongside John Tucker and President Trump said knew Iran talks should begin this afternoon this after he called off a planned attack on Iran, partially in response to police from US allies in the Middle East, including Saudi Arabia.
Speaker 5: We entered a fact that would be the biggest attack since World.
Speaker 4: War Two, and Trump suggested a deal on reopening the straight of horror moves may be closed. Meanwhile, at a foreign minister spokesman said Iran is currently not negotiating with the US. And for more on all this, we're joined by Patrick Sykes, Bloomberg News Middle East Breaking News Editor Patrick. Good morning, Patrick, get us up to date on the latest here.
Speaker 13: Please, Yeah, the latest.
Speaker 14: Just an hour or so ago, we had the Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman pushing back on that statement from Trump. Iran is basically trying to distinguish between two sets of talks. It's saying, we are indeed speaking with the Omanis about the Strait of Foremus and what safe passage might look like in future, but we are not currently negotiating, you know, with the US.
Speaker 13: In the kind of format that we saw to end the war.
Speaker 14: That being said, I think the fact that there is clearly some diplomatic momentum in that O'mani track is a positive and it could be that that is what sort of unlocks the much thornia the bigger macro dialogue between Tehran and Washington, because, as we know, since the cease far unraveled, it's really been the status of that waterway safety, what navigation, what governance will look like after the war. That's been the sticking point the whole way through. So if Iran and Arman are able to reach some kind of bilateral understanding on that, the hope is that that will then ease things up for the bigger talks with the US.
Speaker 4: And there's different reports on what directions they might be going on when it comes to these talks about the Strait of Horror moves. So is there any idea of which idea is coming out as the one that might get an agreement.
Speaker 14: It sounds oddly like something like the data's quote before the war in terms of navigation, I not using I using a sort of middle route between the Omani and the Iranian coasts.
Speaker 13: That was the case before the war.
Speaker 14: Obviously, since the war we had Iran insisting that ships go close to its sure through a northern route and Arman later trying to arrange a southern route. That being said, while the ships might return to navigating something like the same corridor that they did before, that's not to say that the governance of those transits will be the same. It still does look like very much that Iran is insisting on a roll on a sort of veto power over ships and their right of passage in the future governance set up. So it's not to say that it'll be free navigation as we knew it before.
Speaker 13: February twenty eighth, And.
Speaker 4: Just quickly, what do we know about these talks? Just after doing that, President Trump is speaking about do we know anything about them? And who's taking part?
Speaker 14: No, And Iran was very keen to say this morning that, look, the Iranian foreign minister is on a personal religious pilgrimage today. The rest of the Iranian negotiating team remain in Iran. So he's signaling that, you know, there's no trips planned to Islama, Bid, to Geneva, Kata, any of those sort of mediator locations that we've seen come up in the course of the war. It may simply be that Trump is referring to, you know, a phone call, a exchange of messages of the kind that we've seen has never really stopped, So it may just be a much lower level kind of exchange that he's talking about.
Speaker 4: All right, Patrick Sich, Thank you. Patrick Sikes's Bloomberg News Middle East breaking news editor. Oil is following this morning after President Trump said new talk to Iran would begin today after he called off a planned attack on the Islamic Republic. Brent this morning is down almost five percent. Is at eighty three dollars sixty seven cents a bear. All this after swinging through a roughly a thirty two dollars range last month. We want to get more with Mike mcglowan, senior commodity strategist with Bloomberg Intelligence. Mike, good morning, Let's talk a bit about these swings. Is this just the way things are going to be as the situation and Iran continues.
Speaker 15: Yes, Good morning, Karen. I think it's going to continue to be this way. But we have to keep in mind the number one motivation of the leader of the world's largest energy producer and net exporter, and mister Trump needs lower energy prices by midterms. Now, he didn't get the unconditional surrender I think he expected within two weeks of the start of the conflict with Iran. But now he's doing the work around and he has to find some way to get prices lower. So that's the ten on a one to ten scale, which matters str energy and you're seeing that now you mentioned Brent. I like to focus on WTI. Right now, the price is about seventy nine dollars a barrow. For the last twenty years, the highest volume price, the apex of the Bell curve a tradeing, is around seventy dollars a barrew. So despite this pretty significant conflict, Crudel hasn't really moved much from those levels. In fact, I think put in a high this year. I think by the end of the year it's going to be heading much lower. And the key thing to make that go lower is, okay, some kind of deton and Iran, But if the stock market has a little bit of pickupfully, that'll be a pressure factor for crude oil too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you see oil as low as forty dollars a barrel, Is that correct?
Speaker 13: And as that still hold?
Speaker 15: Oh yeah, Well I started making that call twenty twenty three on the way down after it peaked at one thirty. This year's high was one twenty and high in two thousand and eight was one forty seven. See that trend, lower highs and lower lows. The lows have been forty cents. The significance is during that whole period, most of that period, US was a net importer. Now on a normal basis, if prices state is high, by the end of twenty twenty eight, the surplus them supplying demand of crude oil and liquid fuels out of the US and Canada will approach ten million barrels a day. By the way, that's about what China was importing before this conflict. So there's a major paradigm shift in the world. The Western hemisphere with the US and the Middle is now the price maker status In crudel, it is an oversupplied market with a bit of an admiration at the moment in the Gulf, and as we get to normalize a little bitle switch back to overslid ply this oversupplied market. Keything their members commodities always go their cost of production, and the US the largest producer. That's around fifty five.
Speaker 13: Dollars of barrow.
Speaker 4: All right, and we've got less than a minute here, Diesel. We did hear from Goldman Sax this morning warning about a diesel crunch because of what's going on in Russia. Are you watching diesel?
Speaker 13: Oh?
Speaker 15: Absolutely, well, those are different markets diesel and dispolit's gasoline. So diesel is at five dollars and thirty six hours five dollars and thirty six cents a gallon. Before the crisis, it was just around three fifty and same as US average gasoline price three hours and ten cents. Before the crisis, it was about four hours. The thing is, now that's cutting off the man. It's a bit of a different market. But by the time we get the midterms, he needs those prices lower, and I fully expect that we'll be lower by time we get the midterms. It's just how he figures it out. Could involve some kind of export restrictions, but right now they're high.
Speaker 4: This is Bloomberg Daybreak, your morning podcast on the stories making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 3: Look for us on your podcast feed by six am Eastern each morning, on the Apple, Spotify, or anywhere else you listen.
Speaker 4: You can also listen live each morning starting at five am Wall Street time on Bloomberg eleven three to zero in New York. Bloomberg in ninety nine to one in Washington, Bloomberg ninety two nine in Boston, and nationwide on Sirius XM Channel one twenty one.
Speaker 3: Plus listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business App now with Applecarplay and Android auto interfaces.
Speaker 4: And don't forget to subscribe to Bloomberg and News Now. It's the latest news whenever you want it in five minutes or less. Search Bloomberg News Now on your favorite podcast platform to stay informed all day long. I'm Karen Moscow.
Speaker 3: I'm John Tucker. Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day right here on Bloomberg day Break