Speaker 1: It was good. Everybody, some boy, Miles Minic, it takes me out. On the Bootleg Cab Podcast, Let's get it.
Speaker 2: All right man. Bootleg Cab Podcast Special guests in here Miles Minic, Welcome, welcome.
Speaker 1: Well, it's good to be here, man, Let's get to it.
Speaker 2: Yes. So, for people who are not familiar with who you are, you're from the Bay Area, Yes, sir. And would you consider yourself a quote unquote Christian rapper?
Speaker 1: A lot of people would. Yeah. I do music about my life and I live my life for the Lord.
Speaker 2: So how long have you making music?
Speaker 1: Making music all together? Maybe like ten years? Doing it professionally like five and.
Speaker 2: The whole time is your like message in the same No.
Speaker 1: No, for surely not.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: I grew up in a Bay like doing like you know, the mob music, the gangster rap, like rolling with like DV to General, DSB, click like all of them, with that like get active movement like twenty ten, so.
Speaker 2: You were like your content was much more aggressive.
Speaker 1: Oh for surely yeah. Yeah yeah, but like around twenty eleven, you know what I'm saying, Like I found I found the Lord and eventually like surrounding my music over it to them you know what I'm saying, And.
Speaker 2: Did you notice, like, well that was a long time ago. Fuck, that's I'm sorry. I'm gonna cuss a lot. You please excuse me, because I can't control it around anyone's children either. Sometimes my friends bring the kids around. I'll just be talking and they'd be like yo, and I'm like, hey, man, don't bring your fucking kid around me. Then respectfully, anyway, with that being said, I mean you're like, it's a long twenty ten and now it's fourteen years. Yeah, you know it didn't happen overnight for you.
Speaker 1: Well, definitely not. And it's like when I became a Christian, I didn't know if doing music was like acceptable the way I was doing it, Like I was in the streets doing aggressive music, and when I thought about doing that for God, I didn't think that that was acceptable. And so it took me a minute to get back into it.
Speaker 2: So you like took a break from so yeah, and then you like kind of were like, all right, now I'm gonna kind of make my music about positivity and yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that was like when I started really tapping too. It taking serious was the beginning of twenty eighteen. So between twenty eleven twenty eighteen, I'm just like just trying to figure it out, trying to grow in my character, integrity and saying, trying to really just become a man, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know it's interesting because I feel like if someone says they're a Christian rapper, they automatically are looked at with a certain I would say negative stigma and hip hop. Would you say that's the case.
Speaker 1: I would say maybe in the grand scheme of things, But for me, that really hasn't been a case, right, Yeah, And maybe because of the sound that I have and how I look, whatever the case may be, like, and maybe because I'm authentically like from.
Speaker 2: Here right, I mean, listen, you have I told I told you this off. So I was like, Bro, your shit is like high fiass Christian music. It's like music you geld bit of carto and then repent after card.
Speaker 1: To after Yo. Hey, I'll take that, yeah, as long as they were apinted.
Speaker 2: But uh, yeah, you know, because because for me, it's like there's guys like Shouts of Lacree, who's obviously had a major deal with Atlantic for I think it was Atlantic Colombia. I think Combia. Yeah, but he was on a major label. I don't know if he still is or not. I don't want to speak about the situation, but obviously very successful artist. I feel like Lacree was like he was dope, but he happened to be a Christian rapper. And I kind of feel like that's the key because there's guys who like a quote unquote Christian rappers, but their music is very it's not very palatable.
Speaker 1: Like for like a general audience.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like I feel like I pressed play on your ship and I was like, oh, this is just like if I didn't know that, like this is just some shit to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like once you realize is Christian, it's too late, like you already like it, right, you know what I'm saying. And so that's kind of like the method like putting the the medicine and the food.
Speaker 2: Is there any uh? Because obviously is there like a Christian rap world that you have to kind of penetrate and get into, Like are there? Like I just do you know what I'm saying, Like, there's definitely a world. Are there Christian rap blogs and shit?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Like what's the Christian rap academics?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Ooh, Christian Rap Academics. Oh okay, proper exl okay. So that's a popular instagram for Christian rap rap Zilla, you got ch Promotions. Anda stands for Christian hip Hop and there's like a plethoro though.
Speaker 2: So there's like tons of Christian hip hop artists that they don't even know there is. It's just the world. I'm not hip too whatsoever.
Speaker 1: It's a subgenre of hip hop, you know what I'm saying. But people are selling out shows.
Speaker 2: No, I saw you do it. Listen. It is not easy to sell. There's so many artists that could not sell out a quarter of the Novo let alone the full thing. So that's very, very impressive. And you got to show coming up to the Observatory too in August.
Speaker 1: Right, August thirty first yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So like you're doing like big venues, Like this is like a movement that you're doing. So I think it's dope. Like kudos to you, ma because doing it your way.
Speaker 1: Oh much, love, bro, It's a blessing. You know. I used to think that I had to rap about a certain thing a certain way to make any kind of progress or be successful. But it's like I'm just leaning to what I feel like is right.
Speaker 2: I mean, at the end of the day, I always tell people if you got a niche, and I'm not saying that, like you being a Christian is a niche because this is your life, like it's who you are, right, But in hip hop it's a niche. Yeah yeah, And like you know, with any sort of art form, I feel like, lean into your niche because it's tribe, yeah for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. And we I feel like I tried found us though, Like we just started putting on music. Then I put out a song called Glow and then our followers would just like organically call my team like, oh, look at the Glow Team. Look at the glowers. It's not okay, glow Nation. They'll call them glow Nation. And then I grew into something bigger than we can imagine. You feel me. Now we got Glow Festival.
Speaker 2: So is that your like your fan base, like your beehive, my behive, glow Nation is your behive?
Speaker 1: Yeah, my my Bobby Socks is my rap pack. You know what I'm saying. Yeah? Yeah?
Speaker 2: So who was your who were your favorite rappers? Just like coming up like that, you obviously being from the Bay like, who are some guys who like influenced you? Who you would take.
Speaker 1: The main one for surely forty forty my getto report Card. That album definitely shaped my childhood. You know. Of course Mac dre as well. The wolf Pack got my bands a.
Speaker 2: One of the most influential rap groups ever that gets no credit.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and then I feel like what came out of the wolf Pack is like HBK Gang so.
Speaker 2: And I would like to point out that a lot of those beat that the Packs were rapping on us sounded a lot like Mustard and League of Stars.
Speaker 1: That came a little I wasn't gonna say, you know what I'm saying, must love, must love to muster to everybody.
Speaker 2: No, no, but I'm just letting you like that the Bay had a little they had some influence on everybody. I just had this conversation yesday. I'm like, Yo, the Bay and Texas get no love when it comes to who they influenced, Like the Bays influenced everybody and the Baby and always forgotten. We know it's no, yeah, definitely know because y'all let everybody know. Trust me, you meet somebody from the Bank, they'll tell you.
Speaker 1: We got this big chip on our shoulder. You feel me.
Speaker 2: But people from the Bear are like people who do CrossFit. They won't stop telling you about that. Yeah we get it, we get yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, It's like it's the culture. We're proud of it. And if nobody gonna talk about it, were gonna talk about it. Got you.
Speaker 2: Have you worked with the obviously you're making noise. Have you worked with any of the other up and coming art like a guy like Pilo or like you know, some of the guys who are making John Mexican. I don't know if you would you work with somebody if they are not Let's ask that, if they're not aligned with you spiritually, values wise, would you work with someone?
Speaker 1: And we was talking about this yesterday on ruse Line. So I'm actually about to get in the studio with Pilow, coming up song. We're gonna make some slaps. I'm in a studio with l Russell in two days. You know what I'm saying. And these aren't necessarily Christian artists.
Speaker 2: He is not a Christian, you know, and had some nights.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying. But that don't mean we can't make a song that is palatable for both of our audiences that doesn't come.
Speaker 2: You'll work with Yeah, as long as it's not some crazy as long as than I. You're not gonna work with white boy Cardi though.
Speaker 1: I mean now me feel me like the symbolism and stuff, the people getting possessed during his concerts, we can have to work on that.
Speaker 2: I've been I've been to a Cardi show and very very some vampire member me and it's there and I was like, what the fuck's happening.
Speaker 1: Like some vampires.
Speaker 2: No, I just didn't. Dude, was like a seance on stage, And I'm like, you know, that was the only time in hip hop and like, you know, I'll be around some young young ass ship. But if the Cardi ship had rolled them loud. Yeah, seeing all these it was this is in Miami, you seeing all these dusty ass, muddy white kids with beat up forces just fucking just like it was just like, I'm like this, I don't get it. Yeah, It's the only hip hop moment in my life where I looked up and I was like, I don't know what's happening. Let's go back to the trailer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't. I don't really understand it either, you know, shout out to him. Yeah, big, big shout out. Soon he got a movement behind him, you know what I'm saying, So maybe one day we could we could top it up or something.
Speaker 2: Do you feel like as somebody who is a Christian do you feel because I feel like nowadays a lot of artists they have like cult like followings, and I feel like there's a lot of kids who kind of replace like, you know, when I was growing up, but my parents are growing up. I feel like religion was a lot more like pushed upon kids and you know, stuff like that. But nowadays it feels like like artists and celebrities and are kind of like the new religion for a lot of these kids.
Speaker 1: Do you Yeah, Yeah, Well, so like your question is like, how do I feel about Yeah, Like, well, Christianity not being the norm as it was before. I mean, this generation, they're heavily influenced by what they see on their phones or like the artists of today. I'm just I'm just grateful that I found something that's more more meaningful to me. You know what I'm saying, That kid, that's that lasts longer than the hype of an artist, You know what I'm saying, So I'm just trying to encourage people like, fine, fine, find your your peace, you know what I'm saying. And my piece is found in Jesus.
Speaker 2: So do you care like to have non religious people like come to your party? Like do you want do you want those people to like be fans?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: Or is it like, hey, I got the show because what's the name of your album? It's like Cali Christ.
Speaker 1: What is it?
Speaker 2: Christ like California. So it's like me like if I didn't know, like if DJHA didn't put me up on you or Ace didn't call me, if someone sent me an album and said Christ like California as somebody's gotta tell you, I'd have been like, well, this shit ain't for me. I wouldn't even a press play. Now I pressed play and I was like, oh, this ship is fire, Like this shit is dope. But it's like I almost feel it's almost like when Kanye put out Jesus King. It was my least favorite Kanye album because I felt like he was pushing something on me and I was like, well, this ain't for me. You know what I'm saying. I feel like listening to your music, it doesn't feel like you're overly like slapping people upside the head with yeah, but what uh? But the title is the title is like it's going to like scare some people off before they even are able to give you a chance.
Speaker 1: I can feel that. I can feel that.
Speaker 2: I'm not to say that like you care or you should care because your this is your mission. Yeah, I'm just from my perspective, I'm like, well, me in this fool like he's he's he's Jewish. He just did a he just did a twenty three and me and found out he's thirty percent Jewish. Yes, he just did the test. He's Jewish and Mexican straight up. His his his grandma cheated on his grandpa with the Jewish neighbor. We found all that. We literally found this all out in the last twelve months. My producer did one of the DNA tests for people who can't see him on camera. Now he does. I told him he's a leading I told him he's a leaning to it. I said, got you own it, it's who you are. You got to go to the bable shop anyway. But I was just saying like in terms of like we're hip hop fans. So when I hear when I heard your music, I was like, oh, this shit is dope. But I think that like the like you like we said the title. If I was just some normal rap fan, I might be like, man, that's some preachy ash Christian shit, like, yeah, how do you find the because you're obviously what you're doing is working for you. That's why I'm like, do you care that? Like that might push normal hip hop fans away or maybe just turn them off from like trying to discover what you got.
Speaker 1: I mean maybe I could. I could consider the titles more, but I'm more so think about them when i'm making the music more so than i'm titling the song right, Like with a song like boosted Up, Like that's a song about God to going harder in your faith. But when you put that thing on, you get sneeze to it, squabble to it, you can go crazy to it, and it's not going to scare them away. And for christ like California the album, really that was me like blending my faith with the culture. You know what I'm saying, because you're gonna get this cross like message, but with the California sounds stop no, it sound great. Yeah, I appreciate it bro, But yeah, man, we're just trying to trying to figure it out as we go. No, I mean it's working man grateful.
Speaker 2: Do they have any Christian rap beefs happening? You know?
Speaker 1: Yes there is, yes, wow, yes, but a lot of it is like like on the low, like.
Speaker 2: On the under, people hating on the low.
Speaker 1: On the under you'll be surprised, like how many unreleased Christian disc songs you will.
Speaker 2: Find it's very Unchristian like.
Speaker 1: No for really, that's why they don't put it out. Wow, that's why they don't release it.
Speaker 2: You and the Craig got beef. It started the Kendrick verse. Drake things sounds. I know, they're not like us freestyle.
Speaker 1: Right, so did so did uh? So.
Speaker 2: I'm just curious here because Christian rappers beefing with each other just feels it just feels it feels like an oxymoron.
Speaker 1: But you know what people have, You know what, people tend to use my songs to subliminately dis other people on them.
Speaker 2: Oh so you have songs with features where other guys.
Speaker 1: Like, why you gotta do that? All by soul? Like they don't drop names, but it's like you're clearly talking about so and so on my song.
Speaker 2: It's like, when you hear that, do you send them a text and say ww JD. Jesus wouldn't diss somebody on my song, don't sub somebody on my shit?
Speaker 1: Hey hey, but but you will be told Jesus was low key dissing a lot of people in a Bible. Satan for sure, if you look at it, you don't say the overreligious folks.
Speaker 2: Here was smoke for Satan and the overreligious folks.
Speaker 1: And the over religious.
Speaker 2: Do you think overreligious people are a problem?
Speaker 1: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Yeah? What would you just find is overreligious?
Speaker 1: Okay? Okay, I think I think. I think it's a good thing to really break down. So an example of somebody being overreligious is, let's say the protesters that come to my events. We get protested a lot by certain religious groups that say what you're doing you satanic? Is demonic. God doesn't approve trust me.
Speaker 2: I walk by them all the time. I go to wrestling shows, and these guys are they got fucking signs and megaphones screaming at me, and I'm just like dude, and it's like, I think this is how like you're gonna like? This is not how it's done, buddy.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean, It's like I respect like the heart behind it. They may think they're doing the right thing, but like, Bro, that's that's not how you. You're not going to reach me that way. You're not going to get me to change that way. Even if I felt like I wanted to change off for what you're saying, it's not going to happen through that sit down with me. Yeah, send me a DMR, talk to somebody that.
Speaker 2: I mean, but you're putting out great music. That's about.
Speaker 1: I think. I think what they want from me is the overtness that maybe other artists offer.
Speaker 2: Tell them to go protest Sexy Red not you ship bro. Bro.
Speaker 1: We did an event in downtown LA called Glovember. There was a rave next.
Speaker 2: Door to our event, but there are protesting you.
Speaker 1: I'm like, yo, if you want to come against darkness, right, go next door.
Speaker 2: Everyone's on ecstasy next door.
Speaker 1: You feel what I'm saying. Yeah, So I don't know that. To me, that's that's overreligious. But we just try to We try to really live for the Lord and just be ourselves.
Speaker 2: What was what? What? What kind of was the catalyst to you finding Christ? And you know giving your life. Hey, it's a good hazus out there. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Two two two things, two things. One day when I was sixteen years old, it was a Wednesday night. I was smoking weed heavy in the middle of a smoking session. Good Wednesday, Yeah, good good, good weed Wednesday. My friend was like, hey, Miles, bro, we should go to church. I'm like, go to church. Hi like Hi, talking about great time, were talking about go to church. It's like, Bro, they got the girls of the youth group. Bro go crazy, like, let's tap in, let's really go uh high out some girls. And so we went. But the youth group was closed that night, and so we went into the main the main sanctuary with all the older people. So we went in there and then me never been in a church before. I've never been a church person. I don't know on the music, I didn't know anything about it. But in the service, I was like captivated.
Speaker 2: What kind of church was this? Was this a black church?
Speaker 1: Black church? I was captivated. Then at the end of the message, the pastor that was called an altar call, where you called somebody to the front they want to accept the Lord. And when I went to the front, me being the only one that went to the front. It's like I was uncontrollably like crying my eyes out, and I literally felt something I never felt before. It was like a warmth and embrace, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: And so that wasn't the weed, Brother, wasn't the weed.
Speaker 1: It felt It felt like God took way one high and gave me annoying that night.
Speaker 2: Just so we're clear, the night you accepted God, you were high.
Speaker 1: That's great, yeah, yeah, but but I was still like like on the fence about it, even even with that moment. But two years after that, I was like in a tug of war for my soul. Real Like my friends in the streets was like Myles bro, like, why are you switching up? Then my girlfriend at the time, who's not my wife, she was like, let's go to church morrow. Let's really like try to get better with this. And so on a Saturday night, I'm like, God, if you're real, I need you to speak to me in church tomorrow if you're real. If not, then I'll just live my own life. I went to Hurst the next day. Out of nowhere, the guest speaker from Atlanta seize me in the back. He said, you young man, come here, calls me out of a whole church, a whole crowded church. I came to the front. He was like, young man, I don't know what's going on in your life, but I feel like your call to do music for God. God's gonna use you on social media. God's going to change your life and all of these things. Right, tell me things about myself. I didn't never talk nobody. He didn't know I was struggling. He didn't know who He didn't know who I was.
Speaker 2: Who was this guy?
Speaker 1: His name is Apostle Hardened. I never met him, No, no James Harden, but told me that and then that that was like okay, like I feel like.
Speaker 2: This is to Apostle Harden. That guy he's on his ship.
Speaker 1: Hey red no cap damn. He was tapped in.
Speaker 2: So he was just like he kind of just like showed you the way, like, oh, this is this is the right path I need to go on.
Speaker 1: I feel like God answered my prayer through him calling me out to the front.
Speaker 2: That's nah, I mean I get it. That shit's crazy. They asked him before and then he called out the music and the social media and wild and at that so what year, how long ago?
Speaker 1: Is this rather that I was October fourteenth, twenty twelve. Oh shit, that was twenty twelve. Like I didn't fully dive into the music at that time, but that's when I knew eventually.
Speaker 2: So from twenty twelve to like twenty eighteen, what are you doing to make money? You just got a regular job? What are you So?
Speaker 1: I was working at a movie theater at that time, My Cinemas in Pittsburgh. Then I was working at Willis Fargo for like four years, then Travis Credit Union.
Speaker 2: So you were at the bank.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was a little banker.
Speaker 2: You're good with math, yeah, but I hated it. I did not like yo when you guys would like, my friend manages bank and every time there's like sixty dollars missing. She's the manager, so she has to go through the entire day. Sometimes she'll be at the bank until like eleven o'clock at night trying to track down we're sixty.
Speaker 1: Dollars Truma, bro don't even And that's how I got That's how I got fired from the bank twenty nineteen.
Speaker 2: Well, it could be it could be like that, but but it's like if you can't find where the money's missing it's on you, right, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And sometimes it's like somebody goes to the bank and they and you give them too much money. That's they're not gonna give it back to you.
Speaker 1: Sometimes sometimes but most of the time of course not you would give it back. Presley's working in the hood. We worked in Antioch. Yeah, all kinds of people.
Speaker 2: Shout out to Woody rest in peace. Big tones from antioc Oh yeah, yeah, Hey, Simbuls from Antioch.
Speaker 1: Yes he is. Yeah, that long Tree Deer Valley legend him a young Kurt was really putting on.
Speaker 2: But yeah, no, I just so you were you were just doing the normal shit. So you start taking music series again at twenty eighteen, yep, yep for Shelly.
Speaker 1: So how many I was a youth pastor too during the time I was working at the bank, so I'm at the charge like he's young people and stuff too.
Speaker 2: How many?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: Like, how long before you actually started to like catch real track should doing this new style of music and you were like, oh, this is gonna work, like this might work out, like immediately immediately.
Speaker 1: Yeah, immediately. It's been it's been a slow burn, but I had any immediate spark.
Speaker 2: Well, you're also pretty talented. So like a lot of Christian rappers aren't that talented, you know, from what I've heard, at least, the only one I can point at is L Craze.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna put you on some dope ones.
Speaker 2: Do you remember a guy named Carmen back in the day who used to sing on like Channel Towell, on like the Christian TV. His name was Carmen Carmen, I don't know, Oh my god. So I been to black churches many times as my best friends, like very religious, grew up with him, would go to church with him. And every time I'd be like the only white kid and that motherfucker and I feel like the preacher would be looking right at me, and I just feel and I have all these older black ladies dancing and losing their shit. Yeah, sitting there just shook, like, man, why do I spend on that at this one's house this weekend? But there was this but he used to listened to Christian music at his house. There's a guy named Carmen, and then obviously Kirk Franklin, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Kirk still going crazy to this day.
Speaker 2: Apply stunt double.
Speaker 1: As plies five.
Speaker 2: Well no, no, yeah, plies is history. Yeah, it could be plies that. Yeah, but no, I mean, like, obviously your shit is actually dope, so like it's immediately you saw that it was going to work.
Speaker 1: Immediately, I felt like, you know, it was not for me to dive into it. So I was doing everything that I could to really try to pop off and gain some traction. So I was dropping freestyle videos, was going kind of crazy on Instagram. But I was also doing every kind of show I could, community show, church show, even like these awards ceremonies for rappers in the Bay and so this one is called the non Quota Awards for the Not Too five area code in Pittsburgh. That happened in twenty eighteen. I was the only Christian rapper a part of the show. And in the middle of my set, while I'm performing, the music cuts out right as it cuts out. Instead of me panicking being pissed at the sound man, I just frezed out a hook. Devil want to run up on me? It's bad. Somebody recorded it. It went viral on Facebook. The whole theater went dumb to that joint. And that was my first song that really like in California, That's do Yeah, it's kind of crazy, kind of crazy. Yeah, So that that like had my schedule going nuts. Like my my tour schedule was like an engine scroll you have to.
Speaker 2: Like so you're doing like concerts, you're doing like church stuff.
Speaker 1: Like all of the above. Like so I was throwing my own shows, but primarily I was getting booked at conferences at churches and youth groups and all of that. But it would be lit and I would post the footage and it's like, you couldn't really tell it's a church. It looks like it's a lit concert, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So I gotta ask you because I, uh, I was just listening to a podcast about uh about religion a little bit. But they were talking about Joe Olstein and what's the guy with the evil eyes who got the private jet? Oh uh, the white dude.
Speaker 1: No, not Kraftlow, it's the white dude.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: I know he's talking about that, ye like a real like he was like Tyler Perry made it so cheap for me. I had to buy it.
Speaker 2: I had to buy Yeah, he's he's he's the richest pastor in the world right now, just for people know he's worth like one hundred million dollars. He's more rich than Joelstein, like he's.
Speaker 1: Paid because he's like internationally influenced.
Speaker 2: Correct anyway, So you know, my main gripe with religion in general is the I feel like it is easily manipulated to control poor people. And I feel like, you know, the whole entire like idea of being a pastor or being like a preacher, being somebody who's like a man of God is like to be selfless. That should be the idea, you know what I mean. And you know, I feel like at times we'll see like these preachers who will fully take advantage of the gig of having a non non taxable entity that they're a part of, yes, and you know they use it for their benefit, and you know it is what it is. But you know, me and my boy James are just talking and he was like, it's crazy because he grew up in the church, and he was like, he's a stand up comedian. He's like, being a preacher is kind of like being a stand up comedian. He's like, because you gotta you gotta kind of like spit your shit.
Speaker 1: You gotta captivate them.
Speaker 2: And then you gotta hopefully you get your own church, and then otherwise people are doing like there's preachers who are preaching in like a room like this with chairs and then you know, eventually they get their own church. He's like, the thing is is like I just feel like it's crazy. If like a preacher comes to preach in like a two thousand dollars suit and then goes and jumps in like a S five hundred.
Speaker 1: They're likely and their church is falling apart.
Speaker 2: It ain't even that. It's like, yo, like, isn't that kind of like not what God would want? Or I'm crazy? Like Joel Olstein is so rich and my and this podcast I was listening to was like Joe Olstein such a great motivational speaker that if he just stepped away from being a quote unquote preacher and was a motivational speaker who happened to be Christian, people would look at him in like a lot more like a positive way because he's like very talented. He's a talented a lot of these guys very uplifting talented guys. But at the same time, like it's the same guy who like initially tried to prevent people from sheltering at his church until he got called out for and then he was like, oh no, no, no, But that's probably my biggest gripe with like commercial Christianity is like a lot of the quote unquote like faces of it to me or like based on my knowledge of Christianity not very christ like.
Speaker 1: M Yeah, I've definitely, I've definitely seen what you're talking about. Of course is like a well known thing as some pastors may have been exposed for those kind of things. Or I've been at churches to where the doorknobs are missing, but you have a Bentley, the paint is falling off of the walls, but you got the friend gatas on. Like a lot of stuff din't add up for.
Speaker 2: Me, none of that makes sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but for me early on, it's like I had to realize, like it would be unhealthy for me to let Christians take me away from Christ. You know what I'm saying, Like, regardless of what they are doing, God didn't do this to me. People are flawed, you know what I'm saying, But but but God is not. So that's that keeps me like focused, like even though they're wild'n out sleeping with whoever. You know what I'm saying, steal the money from whatever. I know? God is still good.
Speaker 2: Would you ever actually like be a preacher? Obviously you did youth pastoring, but would you ever like, you know, try to like be like yo, I'm a fucking like leave music and do that like maybe when you're fifty. I mean, you know, I won't.
Speaker 1: Close the door to it because I'm a preacher now for real?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean you preach, hear music. Yeah, but you're still an artist. You're not a preacher. So yeah, you're dope artists who happens to you know like that. There's a line there.
Speaker 1: It's like I know how to how to I guess convinced people of the message at the concerts too. It's like, all righty to boost it up for the Lord. I mean, I'll use that voice. But you know what I'm saying, I hype them up and contract.
Speaker 2: He said, what anybody ever fight at your shows?
Speaker 1: Somebody? Somebody somebody ran up on me on stage Christian Rapper in Long Beach. No, not on Chris or Rapper.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: He tried to press me in the middle of my concert.
Speaker 2: What where was your security? No?
Speaker 1: But you but you know what. Security came like ten seconds after. They probably thought I was a part of the act because I'll be having a lot.
Speaker 2: Of trying to press you in Long Beach.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because like somebody was in the crowd like let the little kids get on stage, and I was kind of like dismissive a little bit like maybe later on, later on. And then he was like, but this about the young people, and he got on stage really try to like you know in LA. They be like, you know what I'm saying, that's crazy, But security pulled up on them. They pulled them in the parking lot. He look he started to like like exorcist type energy. He was like manifested. I'm like, yo, what is going on? Wait?
Speaker 2: The dude tried to press you started like he like fell out and was like, oh I'm saved.
Speaker 1: No, kind of like he had a demon in them. That was great. So that that was the only like situation that came close to like a confrontation physically. But yeah, bro was on one. It could have been the ecstasy. I don't know, have you ever.
Speaker 2: Seen someone get exorcists exercisted?
Speaker 1: What is that?
Speaker 2: I said?
Speaker 1: That exercise? I think they call it an exercise. You know a month ago, what a month ago? I've seen it and see me. Valley tried to see me, Valley, man, they seen real calm. I might get a spot out there, you see me value place. I went to Revelations Church with Pastor Lovy and y'all, I'm telling you, people drive from all over the country to go to this man's church. Yeah, he's ministering to the this young lady and she's like kind of like crying, like Pastor, I need help, I need help, And he's being encouraging to her. Then all of a sudden he stops talking to her and talk to something that's inside her. He was like, come out of her right now, and she went from to.
Speaker 2: Get got the fuck up out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like her eyes was like I'd have been out and then like come out of her right now. Then she like melted to the ground. I'm like, oh lord, it was wild.
Speaker 2: You stayed I'd have been all right, y'all.
Speaker 1: And that was the first one of the night. It was like four of them, four x. It was like four of them on a Thursday night. I'm good man, Yeah, shout out to the prophet LOGI that's crazy.
Speaker 2: Uh you gotta Obviously your album's out, Uh are you, like, I know you got a show coming up in Orange County, but are you doing like a national tour? What's going on with you right now?
Speaker 1: Yeah? We're playing Well, we just came off of a tour. The first leg across like tour. We was in Canada, Seattle, Portland, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Houston, Atlanta, Detroit, Milwaukee, you know what I'm saying. But we're going to extend that joint and really the next top for us is this Saturday. We have our own festival every year in the Bay. It's called glow Fest, and so this year is going to be massive. Is glow really going to be there?
Speaker 2: You know what I'm kidding, Glowrilla Big Glow got to come to glow Fest.
Speaker 1: I ain't gonnaw. I was hot. I was hot when she came out because I'm like, dang, like she got that glow branding on lock, Like, oh yeah she got it at first.
Speaker 2: Our first yeah, glow Cubans and Grubans.
Speaker 1: Our festival was called Glowcella at first.
Speaker 2: Oh that's dope. And then you probably got hit with that season desist.
Speaker 1: Coachella did hit us yeah, of course they did. Yeah, they hit us up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they don't play any type of cella, don't.
Speaker 1: Exactly the word cella. Then like we own we own the word chella, so you can't use this. And I changed it to glow Fest and they still like came after.
Speaker 2: Us, but no, wait, came after you for glow Fest.
Speaker 1: So it's it's it's a whole story, man. We changed the name of the Instagram from Gloateella to glow Fest, but we had some fly another year in different parts of the country, but not like, uh, they shut down our page because we still had flyers up from last year that said Glowatella on it. You know what I'm saying. We tried to make a new page and that one was shut down too. Damn they were serious. But now we're working with Coachella. Shout out the Golden Voice.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying, tried the Golden Voice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, are you?
Speaker 2: Because I mean obviously that they I think they owned the Observatory.
Speaker 1: Right yeah, yeah, yeah they do.
Speaker 2: Yeah man, so did they do Coachella too? Damn them, motherfuckers. Glow Fests are rich Golden Voice whatever. You know what I meant guys are rich too speak prophetic, put it in the air. Yeah yeah, but who else is dope? That's a Christian rapper that I should check out.
Speaker 1: Oh you to check out somebody named Hovey Hoby hit a song with Sierra. He's sough, he's more overt, but the vibes are there.
Speaker 2: Is that the guy who subbed someone on your song?
Speaker 1: No, not him, not him, he's too holy for that. Uh and Holy Caleb Caleb Gordon Caleb Gordon's super Fire. Yeah, probably the next to willly go mainstream with it. Who who am I?
Speaker 2: John?
Speaker 1: Keith John? Keep going crazy here a real rapper, rapper. We're working on the project together called the West Indies.
Speaker 2: You guys are doing like a joint album, like.
Speaker 1: A joint joint EP with five songs. West Indies capitalized on the on the movement and of course La Cree any mineo Hey, Andy's Dope, Andy Hard And it is like a perfect example.
Speaker 2: Of a guy who's like, you know it, content is his content, but like he just makes no music. You're listening to it and you're like, oh, this guy's I know where he stands on the religious side.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's talking about God. You know what I'm saying. So he's one of our goats, craning Andy, those are our goats for sure. I mean, this is this a whole movement. There's too many for me.
Speaker 2: Kanye is not a Christian rapper. Goat No, they asked, you know, he wasn't. He didn't. He win Best Christian Album of the Year at the Grammy.
Speaker 1: He topped all the charts. He won Best Christian Album.
Speaker 2: Hey Jesus Walks. It's a great record.
Speaker 1: That joint is mount Rush Moore of Christmas song.
Speaker 2: I mean, look, and he had hell of people singing about Jesus that would not have otherwise sang about Jesus.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I think I think we can't. We can't put him up there because like it was short lived.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, look, Kanye is a flawed man, but he's you know, He's also got the biggest Christian rap song of all time.
Speaker 1: It's the biggest, But is it the best?
Speaker 2: In my opinion?
Speaker 1: Was that Oh yeah? The song?
Speaker 2: Yeah, a song I don't know about No No, No, No, No No Now. Jesus King album. He great beats shots and my guy books to be s murdered. The production on there, but it's just Miss Moors Kanye album in my opinion, just respectfully, what do you listen to non Christian rap music in your spare time? Or do you not want you try to shake that energy?
Speaker 1: I'll make sure I don't. I don't dive in too deep into the rabbit hole, you know what I'm saying. But I'm definitely tapping.
Speaker 2: Because that's probably rub off on you a little, like some of the energy I.
Speaker 1: Mean, but it would be foolish for me to not to not be tapped.
Speaker 2: Like who you're listening to? That's like not like who you bumping? Like who you like? What are you a fan of? Right now?
Speaker 1: Am I bumping? That's not? Oh? Can I say this on air? I like listening to a lot of underground artists?
Speaker 2: What's that? Because I know what underground is for my day, which literally underground, like the underground now is like yo, I like logic.
Speaker 1: Like logic is definitely not underground and shout out to logic.
Speaker 2: People think Corda is underground, right, Corday is like an undergroundish artist, but he's still underground. No, But he's like if he was in if it was ninety nine, he'd be underground. Common was underground. No, Common don't have one plaque. That's a crazy thing to say out loud. Common has much more than one plaque. You gotta relax with that. No Common was a underground rapper. I literally just told him to his face. I said, thank you for changing my life. You're an I never met a backpack underground rap anyway. The new definition of underground is an underground playboy. Cardi's underground to an extent. Is he a commercial artist? Is he commercially successful? Of course not. Have you ever turned on the fucking radio and her to playbook Cardis song in the last five years? No, you haven't, because he's not. He's he's an underground cult artist. No. But has he ever had a number a top five solo Billboard record, a top ten solo Billboard record? Of course not.
Speaker 1: He hasn't.
Speaker 2: No Roadwave broadwave is not underground. Yeah, but he's making commercially palatable music.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Okay, So who are listening to I.
Speaker 1: Think it's crazy about how he's not underground, but he's selling out arenas or he is underground something Rod waving him like it's crazy. How you don't have to be like mainstream, but you could.
Speaker 2: Like gold Rod number one Records in urban radio, so I wouldn't consider him underground.
Speaker 1: But for me, underground for me is like Zoel Sama. You know what I'm saying. Yellow Hill Aten.
Speaker 2: Hey, Yellow Hills put out some our boy TK who did his Christian rap song that he has with La Cra who's recorded and produced right here by our team here for real.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, men, Yellow Hill been talking we're gonna link up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, y'all was Yellow Hill now he'd be cripp let me say he'd be aggressive.
Speaker 1: He really just like, Oh, come to l A. He l A l A.
Speaker 2: L A is not safe.
Speaker 1: L A is not safe.
Speaker 2: It's Yellow Hell.
Speaker 1: I'm like, do I be going that hard for the Bay? Like? Am I that Bay? How he is? L A? Is that that brother?
Speaker 2: LA person alive?
Speaker 1: Alive brother? And he'll let you know at all at all it ain't safe for the toy.
Speaker 2: Shout out to Jesus anyway, shouts shout to him and look crazy. They got a dope song out produced.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's hard. Yeah, No, Yellow He is underground Yeah yeah for solely uh HPK get under ground. My favorite rapper to this day is I Am.
Speaker 2: Sue shot to Bay Area Pioneer.
Speaker 1: Shout out to Sue, we got a record too. Oh my god, he put me on a record. Uh he's singing on that joint, you know, talking about.
Speaker 2: What God is stuff him, shot out to Sue.
Speaker 1: Man I was probably more more edgy on that than he was. Yes, shout out time I got him anyone. You know what I'm saying, But go crazy, though.
Speaker 2: You should do it like I already know you already did not like us freestyle, but you should do like a not like us. But you're rapping like your God to the devil.
Speaker 1: Oh are you dirty devil?
Speaker 2: Or do the euphoria version? That's why you bach ask Satan.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying, Rapping to euphoria is more difficult than not like us.
Speaker 2: Do meet the Grahams, but about the devil. And you're like wrapping from the perspective of God.
Speaker 1: And you journey devil. Understand you got kicked out of heaven. There you go with a nasal flow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, throw a little playboard CARDI sliding in there.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, playboy. There. There was a point to where his music was just like Vibby.
Speaker 2: Really now, when he was rocking with a sap and uh, you know the the Cozy Tapes era and and dilet and then things just the Red tape what was it called the Red album?
Speaker 1: The Red album?
Speaker 2: Whatever it is? That ship was.
Speaker 1: You know, seeing seeing what he did at Rolling Loud really inspired us to really go harder in our movement. What do you do?
Speaker 2: He brought some guy looks like he was on Heroin, the white guy who was always with him, The guy looks like he's got a serious Heroin problem.
Speaker 1: And then they were just like, yeah it was it was yeah, it was all of that. And so I'm like, if they could do seemingly satanic stuff on a high level, I know it.
Speaker 2: Was seemingly satanic, but are we for sure it was satanic?
Speaker 1: To me?
Speaker 2: They were just screaming and looking looking like they were if I'm.
Speaker 1: Not mistaken to think you had like some logos that pointed to Satanism up Cross. Yeah, yeah, it's like, what's the if you're not as satan is, what's the point of having that? You know what I'm saying?
Speaker 2: So, is there is in his defense? Is there a world in which and upside down Cross means anything else? I just don't know. I'm not hip to the imagery.
Speaker 1: You know, it's a possibility that it may be, but from my understanding, it's it could be seen as blasphemy. It could be seen as fo God. I think, you know, honey, I think.
Speaker 2: For the purpose of what they do, they just like to put ship on shirts that they think looks cool.
Speaker 1: And it could be for shock values. It could be for shock value for sure. But you shocking the wrong people, boy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure?
Speaker 1: Are you are?
Speaker 2: You're just straight Christian?
Speaker 1: Like? Is that?
Speaker 2: Because there's so many different types of factions, you know, it's like there's like Baptists, there's.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, like what what gang am I part of? Which click do I associate with? It's I'm not a part of any of them. So they like to call that non denominational becausemination, yeah, those cliques are denominations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, seven Day Adventis and I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't subscribe to any of them, not to say that I won't, but like, I never even understood why we have to separate ourselves like that. It's like, you believe in Jesus, you're a Christian er.
Speaker 2: I don't know the difference between any of them, Like, what's a Lutheran compared to a Baptist compared to a seven day advantage compared. Now, I do know once you start getting into you know, Hovah's witnesses, they got some interesting takes and they're very aggressive on the door knocks.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, one hundred Jehovah's witnesses.
Speaker 2: Don't play them in the Mormons. You know, they've got Mormon fans, because that is a wild religion.
Speaker 1: No, I do. Catholic Mormons and Adova witnesses. They believe that only one hundred, one hundred thousand people get into heaven, and so they're trying Mormons and Jehovah witnesses.
Speaker 2: I think the Mormons, the Mormons believe some much more crazier shit for the.
Speaker 1: Rerect Yeah, I think. I think they believe in like some aliens, and like I got.
Speaker 2: Tons of Mormon homies. I grew up. I went to high school in Mesa, Arizona, with tons of Mormons. Shout to them, sweet people. Mitt Romney, you know, shout out to him, whatever the fuck he's doing with his life. You perform in Salt Lake City, yet.
Speaker 1: No, I have not.
Speaker 2: That's where you got all that. That's Mormon.
Speaker 1: Mormon.
Speaker 2: You got to pull up and when you get on the mic, you gotta say choose the right, and they'll be.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, like on some Republican stuff.
Speaker 2: No, choose the right is CTR. All the Mormons have the CTR rings, so they call it the right.
Speaker 1: Choose the right.
Speaker 2: I don't know what it means. I just know it's something Mormons be saying, choose CTR.
Speaker 1: If I say that it's not some Republican they're gonna impress me.
Speaker 2: No, no, they're not. They're gonna be like, fuck, yeah.
Speaker 1: Damn, what you know about the right, homie.
Speaker 2: You know what's crazy though? When I was a kid, like all the Mormons, like, you know, because the Mormons are like super super nice people. They're really sweet people. Obviously they're mostly conservative. Yeah, but all the Mormon kids in school were the ones who were like doing the real drugs. Like people got caught with heroin or pills. It was the Mormon kids because I feel like they was like rebelling against their crib because you know, at home, may not allowed to drink caffeine, they can't watch the fuck.
Speaker 1: It's real strict. It's real strict. And that's that's the danger with religion. It's like if you heavily restrict the kids at home, they're likely to just do any and everything when they get a little taste of freedom.
Speaker 2: Is it safe to say scientology is the wildest religion ever?
Speaker 1: Well, I think wild wow may not be the right word. Good. There's some wild stuff out there, but Scientology.
Speaker 2: Out of all the big ones, out of all the big.
Speaker 1: Ones, it's it's the most concerning for show.
Speaker 2: It's pretty. It's pretty. Uh, it's pretty. It's interesting because obviously, you know, whatever you feel about religion is what it is. But when you see the people, like I've watched all the documentaries about too Going Clear and all that, and yo, the fact that they're able to get people to buy into this shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: Like Hubbard was like, first of all, not very successful, but has more published science fiction works than any author ever. This dude's entire stick was he was a science fiction author and then he created religion.
Speaker 1: It's wild and people believe it. And they'd be on some gang banging the power trip stuff too.
Speaker 2: And they're like they got the mafia dog. They'd be like taking fools out, bro. You know what I'm saying for real?
Speaker 1: And I think if you joined your high level of scientology, like you can't you can't get out.
Speaker 2: You can't get out, they won't let you out.
Speaker 1: Bro. I was seen as one documentary. It was like a testimoney about you know what they had doing dure. This lady was like, and they made me clean the sanctuary with my tongue, Like since had to mop the floor with her tongue, Like, what are we talking about?
Speaker 2: Listen, with any religion, there's the dark side of it.
Speaker 1: For sure, so it's not all terrible like that, but science fiction novel, no.
Speaker 2: No, the scientologies as well. And I honestly, the Mormons are right behind him. They're like, hey, Joe, Hey, what about us. We're crazy as fuck too. Shots to the Mormon self. Anyway. Listen, man, you got a new album out right now. Yeah, everybody go support it. You're doing your thing. People can go buy tickets if you're in the LA area, Orange County area for August thirty first, and I sold out, Yeah, the Observer.
Speaker 1: Toores, I sold out. Yeah, we're gonna pack that joint out though.
Speaker 2: And anything else you want to talk about before you get out here.
Speaker 1: Hey man, it's grateful to be here, big bro, like real.
Speaker 2: Sorry if I offended you or got you in trouble?
Speaker 1: Oh you good? Like I enjoyed this. I enjoyed this.
Speaker 2: Yes, I don't you know, like why'd you sit down with that atheist bastard in La?
Speaker 1: You know, the the the over religious may say something, but the folks who know what's gonna be like, yo, you said with Blake cav Brother, you win it.
Speaker 2: I do want to interview like one of these mega preachers, Hey, which one, probably Joel because heel I feel like he's a reasonable guy. I don't think he's like a psycho. No, I think he's I think he's an entrepreneur, which is a problem, which is a yeah. But when you watch him, you're like, oh, this guy's a talented, motivational speaker. I understand why people like him. He's a likable guy. I don't think he's I don't think he's a bad guy. But it depends on what you think it's a bad guy.
Speaker 1: Dang.
Speaker 2: But I want to interview one of them, like T D.
Speaker 1: Jakes or what you know who you should interview Mike Todd. Mike Todd sounds like a senator Fromentalist and Michael Todd he's a young pastor but he's viral all the time. Mike, he's urban.
Speaker 2: I want to interview that dude who they ran up on him in church and they try to rob him, and then it came out that he was like ripping off his in New York.
Speaker 1: He in jail.
Speaker 2: He's in jail. That's what I want to interview. And he deserved to get robbed, for sure. He was robbing his people.
Speaker 1: I think he was stunned. He had like all the rings.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. See that's the kind of ship that makes me want to throw up because I'm like, man, you got your people coming to your church struggling. You're asking him for money, but you out here dressed like magic don Juan on Bro Like you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I think he was like putting sam on people for not giving him money or something like that. Like do you that?
Speaker 2: Do you do the Tide?
Speaker 1: I'll tied for sure, Yeah, roll Tide. It'd be tough sometimes, but I'm blessed.
Speaker 2: What are you supposed to tie? What's the percentage of the Tide tithe?
Speaker 1: There's a ten percent ten percent of what you get in. Do you know?
Speaker 2: Like which church you're tithing is a different?
Speaker 1: No, no, I'll give it to the church that I go to. Okay, yeah, for sure. Nice And it's like, even if you don't look at the Bible, like, this is a practical way to support what supports you. You know what I'm saying, that's right.
Speaker 2: Any charity stuff you're doing.
Speaker 1: Oh charity. Not yet. We're trying to say something up though. We're gonna do something called christ Like Christmas this year, just giving away pieces of our brand. We have a clothing line called christ Like Collection. Is this your Oh yeah, one of them?
Speaker 2: Oh that's fire. You know when you wear that hat, you give me country vibes, brown vibes.
Speaker 1: Hey man, Pittsburg is not It's not a big city's locy kind of country, even though is it in the Bay. But we got cows.
Speaker 2: I didn't even know that existed.
Speaker 1: We got crops. Yeah.
Speaker 2: As you know, there's side shows and there's that's Oakland Richmond side shows.
Speaker 1: Hose and broken windows and broken windows. We was going to do our festival in Oakland at the Fox Theater.
Speaker 2: Would have been a bad play. Yeah, you don't want to do that. You know, all them Christians going out there getting.
Speaker 1: Fucking robbed, getting robbed, all of them.
Speaker 2: No, not like face to face rob, but like come back outside after a great night watching Miles Minnick and all of our windows are busted, and my work laptop's missing.
Speaker 1: And that happened. That happened in downtown LA, And now I got to go.
Speaker 2: To the mission and try to find it because some Mexican dude selling it on the corner.
Speaker 1: It's a yeah, shout out to the bippers man.
Speaker 2: The bippers be pipping man. And in La it's starting to come over here. Yeah, the culture is keeping bipping out there. Bru. We don't need it here. We came out here for a change, for sure.
Speaker 1: Man, my car digger breaking in through four times in Long Beach where I live four times.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean you should probably stop leaving it in your car.
Speaker 1: Please do better. Nothing to be in there.
Speaker 2: Well leave your windows.
Speaker 1: I'm try.
Speaker 2: No, you're right when you down trunk open, that's how you got to do it.
Speaker 1: Oh and for the Tesla, the front got to be up.
Speaker 2: The front got to be up at miles minute. I appreciate you, brother, You all right? No, man, there it is fire