Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong and Joe.
Speaker 2: Getty, Armstrong and Getty and Key Armstrong and Getty Strong and.
Speaker 3: Not live from Studio C Armstrong and Getty. We're off, We're taking a break.
Speaker 2: Come on enjoy this carefully curated Armstrong and Getty replay. And as long as we're off, perhaps you'd like to catch up on podcasts, subscribe to Armstrong and Getty on demand or one more thing we think you'll enjoy it.
Speaker 4: Sir, you probably heard that you're supposed to get like ten thousand steps a day, but according to new research, just seven thousand steps a day could be.
Speaker 2: Enough to improve your health. Do you I hear six?
Speaker 4: It really sounds like scientists have lowered their X expectations for us. Explains why the new Surgeon General warning on cigarettes as do not smoke during pregnancy unless it's your second kid.
Speaker 2: Then what else?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I like the jokes, but the problem is the original ten thousand step thing was completely made up. The problem with a lot of health stats, and we're about to get into some here, is they're misinterpreted regularly. Oftentimes they're very very small, preliminary studies that the researchers themselves would never put out there as a national story to talk about. But it's something exciting about something that can cause cancer or eliminate cancer or whatever, and so the media goes crazy with it. And then there's studies that are paid for by like, you know, mattress companies or candy bars or whatever, and lo and behold the study says eating more chocolate leads to better sex life or whatever. You know, So sure you gotta watch out for that. Before we get to that stuff of things real quick, first of all, can we make a vow? We need to make a vow. I don't think we can keep it, but we should try. We should make a vow every day and work toward this goal to stop talking about cable news as if anybody's watching it.
Speaker 2: Because nobody is. So that's so fine with me.
Speaker 3: Yea, I agree. But anytime you talk about Jake Tapper said this or whatever.
Speaker 2: It might be interesting for some reason, but nobody is watching that show. Nobody.
Speaker 3: I'm just I'm looking at this stats that Byron York just put out from Fox. It's more likely you're watching a Fox show. Certainly, but uh, CNN's total audience during their five.
Speaker 2: Six, seven, eight, nine, ten, and eleven PM hours. You're cherry picking.
Speaker 3: Added together don't beat one showing of the five, which is not even one of Fox's highly rated shows. Oh so talking about anything on CNN or MSNBC really is you?
Speaker 2: Who are you talking to? Boy? It is the ultimate example of something holding on to just any reputation based entirely on its gloried pass.
Speaker 3: And my people who are old enough to remember when it mattered. If you're younger, you don't even know what it is. Right, Well, it's in airports.
Speaker 2: Inexplicably, we got this CNN have a picture of the head of the FAA with a mule or something. I mean, how is CNN on an airport's all over America? That is almost that is almost certainly the explanation. Well there you go.
Speaker 3: Anyway, moving along, we got this text about that horrible story in New York, the shooting. I just wanted to deal with it real quick in case I did use sloppy language. You're putting out fake news again. The shooter in New York never played in the NFL. I didn't mean to imply that he did. I thought I said he was a high school star and that's where his.
Speaker 2: Current You never stated anything that could be taken to indicate that he played in the NFL. Well, I guess you made reference to other Okay, yeah, whatever, that's fine, Okay, fine, he didn't play in the NFL, but he does see some budsman weighing in there.
Speaker 3: He did seem to be blaming that brain mouth function that you can get from playing football, though, as he had a note about that and shot himself in the chest and wants his brain to be studied, which doesn't make him some sort of anybody to look up to because he killed a bunch of innocent people like a scumbag. Right, if you didn't get enough sleep last night, you've doubled your chance at Gang Green.
Speaker 2: I hope you're happy. Oh no, not another bout of gang Creen. Another bout.
Speaker 3: It ruined my summer vacation. Oh wow, it certainly ruined my beach. Look my beach body.
Speaker 2: Getting too big studies.
Speaker 3: This is pretty damned interesting and a bit of a breakthrough. I think we've been talking about sleep stuff a lot. Everybody that I know deals with sleep issues or if you're getting a enough sleep. They found a way pretty simple with having instead of self reporting about sleep, which is all you had to really go on up until fairly recently. Now you can have everybody wear these little devices that report on how much sleep you're actually getting. And there are way too many fake long sleepers in all studies we've ever heard. They actually that's what they actually call them, fake long sleepers in studies we've heard about through our whole lives. It's people maybe like me, who report a certain number of hours asleep but actually get much less. If you actually wear a device that measures how much you're sleeping, just because you're in bed and semi unconscious, that amount of time doesn't mean you're actually sleep sleeping. And so they had people wear these devices trying to track how much like actually you were asleep sleep you got. The numbers are a lot lower, And so those other numbers skewed everything we've ever had about sleep because you got a whole bunch of people in there claiming they sleep eight hours a night and they're actually sleep in six.
Speaker 2: Is anybody struck anybody else struck by the hilarious irony of self reporting sleeping habits? I mean, if there's one one period of my life I can't really account for. It's when I'm asleep. True.
Speaker 3: It's the largest study of its kind ever. Researchers strapped fitness trackers on nearly ninety thousand adults for a week, followed their health for almost seven years. Among people who claimed to sleep more than eight hours a night late nearly a twenty two percent, so a fifth we're actually getting six or less. That's a big chunk of people who thought they were getting eight hours of sleep and they're getting six or less.
Speaker 2: That's that's enormous. Yes, statistically, that's like, why are you even talking about the previous numbers?
Speaker 3: They're ridiculous, right, But let me jump to the headlines from it, other than the headline that everything you've ever heard about sleep studies is fake because of what do they call them? Lying bash that's not what they called them fake long sleepers. My bastards would be too harsh, that'd be appropriate. Uh, sleep rhythm matters more than sleep duration. Inconsistent or weak. Daily sleep rhythms were linked to eighty three diseases and then they list them and we could get into that later with the sleep rhythm ing when you're going in and out of RAM like happens.
Speaker 2: If you've ever learned anything about.
Speaker 3: Sleep disease burden is comparable to smoking or obesity. Up to thirty seven percent of Parkinson's These numbers can't be true, can they? Up to thirty seven percent of Parkinson's and thirty six percent of type two diabetes could be attributed to disrupted sleep patterns.
Speaker 2: That's a lot that. That's an extraordinary claim. I am, I got my fur up p too. I'm very free. Wow. What's what's our source here? What's our publication? Is this?
Speaker 3: It's a dirty Chinese research led by doctor Quinn Chen Army Medical University and Cheng Wang Peck Peak University. Okay, are you concerned that the Chinese are trying to infiltrate our sleep device?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm highly skeptical about all of this. The idea that bad sleep rhythms are more serious a problem than we understand that, that's perfectly reasonable. But a bunch of commis there at p King. I thought we were supposed to say Beijing these days. Maybe they kept the name for the university. That's a good question.
Speaker 3: The study linked various sleep problems to one hundred and seventy two different diseases across virtually every system in the human body. Some diseases showed dramatic associations. For example, people with the most disrupted sleep rhythms face more than triple the risk of age related physical debility. I don't really doubt that. Well, yeah, but triple, But I don't doubt that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Your previous sentence about Parkinson's caught my ear, partly because both my mom and my grandfather died of complications from Parkinson's. But so little is known about what causes Parkinson's. I mean, could there be some correlation without causation, or or half and half. That's that's utterly unclear to me.
Speaker 3: But my guess would be that whoever wrote this article took the numbers and presented it as if its causation went. It could just be those two things to go together for unknown reasons.
Speaker 2: But I want to get back this because I thought it was funny. Well, it could be you've got a gene mutation that causes poor sleep rhythms and parkinson for instance, Parkinson's for instance.
Speaker 3: Sure, so people with the bad sleep triple the risk of age related physical debility. Also, you doubled the risk of gangreen compared to those with the robust sleep patterns. Yeah again, don't I eliminate the any chance of gangreen by getting a tennis.
Speaker 2: Shot ruin my beach vacation. It's it's hurt my golf game. The gang green. It's terrible.
Speaker 3: How many people have you ever known gotten gangreen? Unless you're one hundred and eighty years old.
Speaker 2: My dating life has been poorer for it. Listen, you're a great guy, but you're gangren. Oh. I saw you.
Speaker 3: I saw your hinge profile and you mentioned the gangreen right up toward the top. So it shouldn't have been a surprise anyone.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 3: So this sentence, this is the one you're having trouble with. And researchers estimated that up to thirty seven percent of parkins Parkinson's disease risk.
Speaker 2: I'm exactly shut that. That means nothing. Sorry.
Speaker 3: I hate to be a kill joy, killing anything for me. I didn't write this study.
Speaker 2: I have no investment in this brought it to us. We need a meeting, A long meeting, okay, a lot of questions, long meeting, prolonging questions. I would not.
Speaker 3: Be surprised if a lot of the problems we have though in the modern world is people not getting.
Speaker 2: Decent sleep. Uh. Yeah, yeah, And I've become re re re re re re reconvinced about the omnipresence of screens and smartphones being a reason for people's mental problems recently. Yeah, I heard it presented in a religious context by a man of the cloth who was repeating what I think man is known for thousands of years. But well, I'll just say what he said. Leave time in your life for God, Leave time in your life for prayer and meditation and contemplation. Put down your damn screen. You know.
Speaker 3: I didn't even do this on purpose. It has just kind of happened for a variety of reasons. But I've been on this kick all summer long. Of at sunset, I schedule my evening around this. At sunset, I ride my bike to the edge of town. It's about two and a half miles, and then I'm looking at a wheat field. I'm from Kansas, so I like seeing the sunset over wheatfields.
Speaker 2: So I'm there.
Speaker 3: I'm looking at this wheatfield with the sunset, and I do this combination of prayer and affirmation and just kind of talking to myself or whatever. I don't bring my voe in and I do it every night, and it has become like my favorite part of the day. Like I just said, oh boy, I gotta get this done because the sunset's coming, because it's just there's clearly some like nourishment I'm getting from that that I look forward to it, and I really go out of my way to make sure I've arranged so that I.
Speaker 2: Can do it. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Wow, I mean it's just organically making me want to do it every night. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I have a similar ritual. I drink myself incoherent and fall asleep muttering angrily about the people who wronged me with Fox on really loud some nights. Yes you do you, man, you do you.
Speaker 3: I've actually been lately thinking how am I going to keep this going when the days are shorter and the sun setting at five point thirty and dinner and blah blah blah, or's raine.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but I'm going to miss it.
Speaker 3: I got to come up with a substitute for when the beautiful weather is over because it has become super important to me.
Speaker 2: It's not as good idiotape it and watch it on your screen carried around on my phone, but don't like say wow, that was really good. That was really soothing. Now that I have my screen open, though, let's do a little dune scroll like no, no right.
Speaker 5: Jack Armstrong and Joe The.
Speaker 6: Armstrong and Getty Show, The arm Strong and Getty Show.
Speaker 3: We were wondering if, like, if you used the therapist Harry on chat GPT, if it's different than just generally asking questions the way the rest of us have been doing.
Speaker 2: What did you find out, Katie, Yeah, it's significantly different.
Speaker 7: So for example, I just used like one of the medications from my IVF process, and chat GPT regular kind of sympathized with that it might make me not feel good, but then gave me a list of resources and things I can do to feel better.
Speaker 2: In all this, Yeah, I was totally unawarees Katie pointed out this segment that they have like individual bots with specialized programming for different topics, including the number one being astrology, so there's no hope for humanity. But number two was find my celebrity look alike, and so I did that. I uploaded a photo and it struggled for a while. I could tell it was thinking, Chase. If somebody looked like you, they wouldn't be a celebrity. That's what do we tell This guy did give anyway? Did he give you Barney Rubble? Looking? No, as a younger man, I did resemble the great Barney Rubble a great deal. Looking closely at your features, strong brow lines, expressive forehead, square jaw, with a salt and pepper beard, and a slightly rugged but approachable look. Was it trying to aid, Hey, it's doing pretty well so far. If it is, you have a resemblance to Nick Nolty in his later years Hollywood and sleeping on park benches.
Speaker 3: No, no, Buddy Holly, Nick Nolty, not now, Nick Nolty.
Speaker 2: Oh no, unfortunately not, And also a bit of Kurt Russell in his more recent roles Again Wenignalty. Resemblance comes through in the weathered, expressive foreheadlines and the way your beard frames your face, especially like Nolty around the two thousands. Oh oh, they cite Kurt Russell and the hate late Yes, if only.
Speaker 3: The fact that the number one use for AI for Dunderpates is astrology. It's amazing that you're combining like the most cutting edge advanced thing human beings have ever come up with with the most old timey, dumbest from one hundred thousand years ago, reading the stars for your acuture.
Speaker 2: Well more importantly, I need Katie to react with complete honesty to this. Your look has that mix of ruggedness and warmth that both of those actors are known for in their later careers. I think you'd probably agree, wouldn't you nailed that?
Speaker 3: Why is that thing giving you all positive feedback? And there's no you look sort of like a hobo I saw on the way to work.
Speaker 2: Or just are you all right? Do you have medical professionals you can call?
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, how long did doctor tell you you had?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah?
Speaker 5: One?
Speaker 2: One final AI note, Katie mentioned this headline Jeffrey Hinton, often called the godfather of AI. He's calling on researchers to design systems that will take care of us like we're babies, and we all reacted like, I'm not sure I need that, but thanks very much. But I read what Hinton's reasoning is that's the only way to keep them from becoming like our overlords who shred us and take our organs for whatever purpose. He's like, we need to make machines that are smarter than us to care for us like we're there, babies, baby. We need to imbue them with genuine concern for human well being, otherwise it could be really Yeah, So we need to convince AI to care about us, so they don't, you know, eat us.
Speaker 1: Wow, the Armstrong and Getty Show, Yeah, Borgia Orgio podcasts and our hot links the Armstrong and Getty Show.
Speaker 8: Look, guys, there's no way to sugarcoat it.
Speaker 2: Nobody likes Democrats anymore.
Speaker 8: We have no voters left because of all of our woke trans bullet Not even black people want to vote for us anymore. Even Latinos hate us. So we need new voters. And if we give all these illegal aliens free healthcare, we might be able to get them on our side so they can vote for us.
Speaker 2: That is not actually Chuck Schumer.
Speaker 3: That is an AI voice of the Democratic leader of the Senate. And that was not actually Donald Trump in a sombrero behind him playing the trumpet.
Speaker 2: I was gonna praise Schumer for his candor.
Speaker 3: Kim Jeffries was not actually wearing a sombrero with a big giant black mustache. Also, JD Vance did not actually say this.
Speaker 7: Okay, as was Mucco, simply a Democrat party is mucho ritardo.
Speaker 2: Okay, mucho retardo.
Speaker 7: Especially at Hakimo Jeffries eel chuck O Schumer, they are extra ritardo. So l presidente and I cannot negotiate with these Democrat ritardos.
Speaker 2: O no no, no, no, no, no no no. I don't like that term. Start Otherwise, that was very funny.
Speaker 3: We started earlier in the week with that, just Schumer saying this about the Democrats and then there's kind of the subtle ish sombrero and mustache, and it's grown since then and do this all subtenly has been lost and it's just completely out of control.
Speaker 2: Well, and I love that that reporter before. Is it helpful to post sombrero pictures when you're attempting to negotiation?
Speaker 3: Come on, So here's howkeing. Jeffrey is a leader of the Democrats in the House. He just reacting to the videos.
Speaker 9: It's a disgusting video. And we're going to continue to make clear bigotry will get you nowhere. We are fighting to protect the healthcare of the American people in the face of an unprecedented Republican assault on all the.
Speaker 3: Things medicare the disgusting deal.
Speaker 2: And here here's the reporter thing. Joe was mentioning, the president's.
Speaker 10: Been posting some images of Leader Jeffries and Sanator Schumer. Ultately, you've said that you're interested in good faith negotiations with these leaders. But you know what message is that's and is it helpful to post pictures of Leader Jeffries and sombrero if you're trying to talk to you?
Speaker 2: Oh, I think they go, but yeah, you know what it shows. It shows that we're the party that's got a sense of humor, Wow, angry all the time mustache?
Speaker 3: Is it helpful to post pictures of mister Jeffries and a somburro and giant black mustache? Well, a whole bunch of Trumps. There's only one Trump. All five different Trumps play trumpets and giant guitars.
Speaker 2: Implying some might say that there are multiple Trumps who should run for a third term.
Speaker 3: If there were multiple Trumps, they'd be in a mariachi band. Is that helpful?
Speaker 2: Oh my golly, no, this is this is it's almost kind of fun to watch, not the really silly part of it, but the effort Hakeem jeffries to try to get his civil rights movement. I'm outraged, we're all fighting together, voice going and he runs it off the flagpole and absolutely no one salutes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll say it again. I've said it multiple times. But the fact that the Washington Post editorial board, the people that run the Washington Post, said the Democrats walked into a trap on this one and that they shouldn't have shut down the government. They should have cobbled together to votes to go with this. So I heard it explain. It's actually pretty good explanation. These shutdowns are dumb and don't matter. And the last one lasted a month and you don't even remember it happened, all right, so quit.
Speaker 2: Acting like it's a big deal.
Speaker 3: But several times this happened last couple of times with Republicans, where like the Tea Party did this like we're going to show how hard we're going to fight, and I was on board with the fighting and everything like that, but you just don't have the leverage of the votes to actually make anything happen. And Ted Cruz did it around Obamacare. He did the law the really long what do you call it? A filibuster? And then they also wouldn't go along because they needed his vote to avoid a shut down, and he had no leverage to actually get anything accomplished. And that's what the the woke progressive end of Democrats are doing. Now, we're gonna force a shutdown. Show much we fight, but we don't actually have the leverage to do anything. And so this has happened a couple of times, and again nobody nobody, nobody dies, Nobody even notices it happens. It disappears into the history books. Man, if you ever read that history book, you are bored to death. But speaking of jokes, here's an ai or No, this is a comedian. This is not Ai. This is a comedian who does a good Trump voice.
Speaker 11: Ola mei fellow Americana. Ce biendnitos alcierre de Schumer. That means welcome to the Schumer shut down. We call it the Schumer siesta, right, mister Schumer siesta. He put the government on CIEs, the crying chuck and el jakimo, hefe Jeffries. We used to call him Dallas st or Obama until we realize he's worth far less than a dollar. But they put the government on siesta to give illegal alien ends your healthcare. We're not gonna let it happen. I looked at both of them. I said, we're not going to let it happen. As snowboy, now, I said a snowboy.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: They begged me.
Speaker 11: They said, but signor or for more, please give Ille de Lilias deathcare. So we're not going to do it. We're never going to do it. It's not going to happen. We're going to end the CES. So we're going to reopen the government and we will not give into the demands.
Speaker 2: Of Chuck and l Hefe.
Speaker 11: We're not going to do that. Thank you, God bless you, Diolo Bendiga, and God bless America. Thank you for your attention to this matter.
Speaker 3: That last part was probably funny, but I don't speak enough Spanish to know what he said.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I missed that one too.
Speaker 3: Uh the uh, but please, Senor, it's pretty funny. The funny thing is that that's only like one tick off actual Trump. Yes, I mean it's just barely even comedy, uh, as opposed to did the President actually sing what he was saying? And so Trump said, I got it home where I grabbed it somewhere I lost it. Trump said something funny, but I can't remember what it was about the Democrats handing in this the he can't believe that they same thing the Washington Post editorial board basically said is he can't believe that the Democrats are allowing him to do this and run all the leverage.
Speaker 2: Well, and Trump's boy Russell vote. The budget chief is taking advantage of it to try to shrink the government as fast as he possibly can. Whether it holds up or not, nobody's quite sure. But it's exactly what Trump and Elon Musk and company and a lot of conservatives have been wanting to happen.
Speaker 3: So let it continue. That's fine, I saw. So there was some thing in the New York Times yesterday. I got the bulletin during the day, you're nervous. Our experts are here to answer your questions about the shutdown, I thought, And I'm not nervous. I don't have any questions. I'm perfectly fine. It'll end, like I keep saying, this afternoon or Friday night or next Tuesday, and nobody will ever think about it ever again.
Speaker 2: So that was to their sizeable percentage of their listenership that still wears covid masks alone outdoors. Right, Well, those people are scared. They wake up scared. It makes them feel important. Wow, I hadn't seen this.
Speaker 3: Israel struck overnight in the Gaza Strip, killed at least thirteen Palestinians according to whoever, according to hospitals. Of course, a lot of hospitals are just Hamas holdouts and they call them a hospital. But anyway, Israel's continuing to blast that area Gaza while Hamas is waiting to decide thumbs up or thumbs down on the peace proposal, which the deadline is this weekend.
Speaker 2: It's Thursday now, running out of time. Yeah, well, maybe they ought to take a hard look at it and figure it out quick. What do you think is going to happen? I still think there are only two choices. One Hamas says, all right, we'll go along with it, and pretends to go along with it and seks to do what they've always thought to do as hard as they can. Secondly, they just reject it and say we'll fight to the deaths because they've vowed martyred them over and over again.
Speaker 3: So the critics are saying, like I saw this, Peter Baker of the New York Times that this was basically, you know, and all or nothing for Hamas proposal from the Yeah, you see, one side is winning the war, and they're gonna win the war.
Speaker 2: No matter what.
Speaker 3: So they offered to the people that they're about to completely decimate, here's a way out if you want it. If you don't, we're just gonna continue to do what we're doing. That's the way most wars end. Yeah, so what like all of them? Yeah, so they can decide to do it, Joe said, And you know, they're they're uh dead enders. So they might say, you know, we're gonna go ahead and fight to the death because they don't care if they take all the Palestinians with them, doesn't matter to them.
Speaker 2: In fact, they think that would be great. Oh yeah. In fact, they're gonna fight as long as they can and have as many civilians die as possible to hope that the world opinion turns against Israel, because it already has to some extent. So yeah, that's probably the most likely scenario. But the idea that you know, the Peter Baker's of the world, and he's a bright enough guy, but my god, you're holding Israel to a standard that has never existed in warfare in the history of the world. You've just invented this special new one for Israel.
Speaker 1: The Armstrong and Getty Showy or Jack or Joe Podcasts and Our Hot Lakes.
Speaker 5: Jack Armstrong and Joe Getty.
Speaker 3: The Armstrong and Getty Show from the Department of Why does nobody recognize we're driving toward a cliff at one hundred miles per hour?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Alicia Finley of The Wall Street Journal pointing out that America's buy now, pay later economy is showing signs of an emerging debt crisis everywhere.
Speaker 3: I don't like this story. I'm not doing that. I'm a I don't buy it until like an afford it sort of guy. But we all get brought down by a financial collapse.
Speaker 2: We all realize that, right right, The word inclusive is very hot these days. There certainly was a couple of years ago. That's the brilliant thing about a financial crash. It includes virtually everybody. Yeah, misery. So anyway, so she points out that serious credit card and auto loan delinquencies have climbed to the level of the twenty eighth nine recession.
Speaker 3: Okay, so rousing right after that giant crashes. Not surprising that lots of people all of a sudden were in trouble and not quite making their payments on time and that sort of stuff.
Speaker 2: What is the reason now? Nobody's sure we like spending money, she says. The housing market shows cracks. Well, the labor market is weakening, but you wouldn't know it from the point stock market and consumer spending. America is buy now, pay later economy, and at least increasingly fueled by leverage. As consumers, investors, businesses, and the govern are all taking on more debt, which she points out, and there's always one person like this at the party, she points out, you have to pay for debt later with interest. Thank you for that. What a drag man. As Americans max out their credit cards after years of inflation, by now, pay later offers are popping up everywhere, from concert tickets to vacations to grocery stores. Boy, oh, boil boil boy.
Speaker 3: I can see how it would be appealing if I'm twenty one year old Jack and they'll never tour again or whatever it's their farewell tour man to not buy your concert tickets on I can't afford it now, but I'll magically have more money six months from now.
Speaker 2: No, don't do that, I guess. There are now apps where you can split the cost of your purchases into installment payments over weeks or months. Some are currently interest free for now, just to include fees. Here's what you do. You borrow a against your used car.
Speaker 3: Is that still a thing that people are doing, where you take out equity from your used car?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, And unlike credit cards, a lot of these services don't report the loans to the credit bureaus, so folks are in much more debt than their credit rating might indicate.
Speaker 3: But so these all these different entities that are giving people these deals must feel like they're going to get paid back.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, certainly in the short term. And they have carefully calculated their default rates and you know, price their services excuse me accordingly. And you know, if somebody ends up not being able to pay, they just put them their name on the blacklist.
Speaker 3: And boy, my oldest son has got a life lesson coming on. I don't even remember what it was now, it's been so long, and something he really really wanted and kind of fronted him the monk kind of fronted him the money on that with the idea that you will owe me and I will be keeping track of it, and I have been keeping and he still owes me. And Christmas might just be here. I've wiped off hot half your debt. Merry Christmas. That would be a lesson how that old thing works. That would be a great gift in a way. Yeah, sure, not to be appreciated at the time. According to recent survey, about half of consumers have used a buy now, pay later service.
Speaker 2: This is not a niche, this is half I've reskewed towards the young.
Speaker 3: Concert tickets, your vacation, I mean everybody kind of does that a vacation, right, because you put everything on your credit card, whether you pay it off that month or over a couple of months.
Speaker 2: Good point. Yeah, let's see Federal Reserve pay per last December found such users are more likely to have low credit scores, carry of balance on credit cards, have incurred checking overdraft fees, and have more delinquent credit accounts. Financially vulnerable consumers maybe over extending themselves. And let's see. One of the bigger buy now, pay later services announced an IPO, which is expected to be one of the biggest of the year. Such services make money by capitalizing on financially stretched consumers, especially young people who don't want to tighten their belts. Wow.
Speaker 3: According to the Babylon b As we told you, the Social Security Administration is going to be renamed the Charles Ponzi Memorial Retirement Plan, which I like.
Speaker 2: That is great.
Speaker 3: The Department of Justice will be changed to the Department of Revenge and all losers and haters.
Speaker 2: I don't think that's appropriate.
Speaker 3: And yet somewhat accurate in these days of law fair, this is the one that hurts. The Department of the Treasury will be changed to the Chinese Loan Office.
Speaker 2: Ooh, one more that I liked.
Speaker 3: Sing in Urban Development will retitle his Department of the Pores.
Speaker 2: The Pores. Wow.
Speaker 3: By the way, we got a text from somebody who said they always appreciate when I do my porky pig routine not being able to.
Speaker 2: Pronounce a word. I got another statistic for you. That's enough fun. Back to the misery. So in twenty twelve, mortgage you know, holders had debt to income ratio is considered risky. Right, twenty eight percent of people had a debt to income ratio that was pretty risky twenty eight percent last year sixty nine percent. Oh my god. Seven man Freddy mckew was thirty eight percent, up from sixteen percent in twenty twelve. Seven out of ten.
Speaker 3: Of yea, yeah, I don't think I do have a risky debt to.
Speaker 2: Income ratio. And if I haven't driven you to buy gold and bury it in your backyards yet, how much? How about one more? The FAHA Federal Housing Association, we have a fancy new name for them, from the Babylon Bay too bad. They've waived or reduced monthly payments on one point two million mortgages over the past two years. It's about fifteen percent of the total that they hold, and without that forgiveness passed during the Biden administration, delinquencies would be near the level of the twenty eight to nine meltdown. Fanny and Freddy have also been slashing in deferring payments on hundreds of thousands of mortgages. So I go into my son's room last night to talk to him, which is.
Speaker 3: One of the grooviest high schooler bedrooms I've ever seen in my life. He's put a lot of effort into it, and it's very cool and dark. It's always very dark in there. But anyway, I go into my high schooler's room last night and did not smell pleasant.
Speaker 2: I said, what is the deal in here? On a rest of sex?
Speaker 3: And he must have taken that to heart, because now the higher house smells like high school boy cologne. And I said, what did you do? And he said, we used to sit at smell bed. So I sprayed around some of my cologne. I thought that would help some of your colone. Oh, it smells like you're on a date with four high school sophomore boys right now in my house.
Speaker 2: Wow, way too much, way too much. I ortant to ascertain the source of the funk.
Speaker 3: First, it's not funny, I don't I don't know what it is about the scent, but it just it smells like if you had to name the smell, you'd say, I'm on a date with a boy who's about old enough to get his driver's license. That's what it smells like. Its own scent. You wow, acts bedroom spray.
Speaker 2: Or something like that. Yikes. Among the story. I hope you bought it for cash and didn't borrow them one here you know, break up the picture. It's the arm Strong in Getty Show, Armstrong in Getty, get Getty
Speaker 5: So Art, Trap and Getty