Speaker 1: Is the Patriots Training Camp Cast.
Speaker 2: The Patriots Training Camp Cast is your source for all the news from Patriots Training Camp.
Speaker 1: Well, I do still watch the news. Practice is over, but the writers of Patriots dot com have you covered?
Speaker 3: What did I miss yesterday?
Speaker 1: Now Here to review today's practice? The writers of Patriots dot.
Speaker 3: Com Day six in the books here in Foxboro. A little bit of a slower pace today, Mike. You so, Paul Perla with you. We're not at a slower pace, Mike. But I thought the team, after a pretty physical practice on Monday, sort of dialed it back. They were back in shells today. I would say the first half of the practice was a little bit of a slower tempo, looked like some instructions and walked through, and then I thought they picked it up toward the end. I thought the intensity on both sides sort of got back. Just we'll start off with overall impressions, Michael.
Speaker 2: Yeah, over impressions, I thought, you know, kind of more of the same, I guess, is what I would say. An inconsistent day for the offense. You know, had one nice contested throat to Devonte Parker up the sideline.
Speaker 1: You've seen that a lot.
Speaker 2: Another one to Hunter Henry that was actually pretty nice, but some clunkiness kind of remained.
Speaker 1: A lot of check down.
Speaker 2: Seem like a lot of work on screens today, so maybe that was definitely was part of it. A lot of that, a lot of those kind of plays, So, you know, nice day for the defense, though. I thought they got their hands on some balls. Mac Wilson making a nice play there during practice, But like you said, a little bit of a dial back version, some eleven on eleven work, a little bit of red zone, but otherwise hoping we get you know, back to Pats tomorrow, maybe pick up the intensity.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would agree with that, and I did. I thought mac Wilson was one of the standouts defensively, and I think that kind of speaks to it. I think I'm probably gonna write about this a little bit after our show. Is just sort of the versatility along that backside. I listened to Adrian Phillips talk after practice and he talked about all the things the offense can do with the motions and the different personnel groupings and the multiple receiver sets and they can really dial it up. And I think that's really true of the defense specifically on the backside with all of those safeties, linebackers, and some of them like guys like Wilson and Mapu a little bit of both. So I did think Wilson stood out with those things. We should do a little bookkeeping here. We talked about the first padded practice on Monday. It took its toll. We talked a little bit about that yesterday with Bill Belichick talking to the whole team sort of about practice tempo. Not surprisingly, some of those guys that we didn't see finished practice yesterday were not out there today. I did not spot Jalen Hurd, Brad Hawkins, terres Hall chasing Hines and of course Time Montgomery for now what the fourth day in a row. Also a lot of guys that were out there really weren't taking part. Trent Brown, Scotti, Washington, Cole Strange was on the field but did not take part in anything. So I do think that for padded practice took a toll a little bit. Yeah, you have physicality.
Speaker 2: It's unfortunate, and I mean i've you know, not that we've seen really much a jail and hurt other than the one touchdown catch the other day. But I said I think I said it on the light show, like he just intreaused me a little bit. He's got good size, and it's just disappointing because this is a guy that always had the measurables but just couldn't stay healthy. And you know, it's almost kind of the same thing with Montgomery with two guys that maybe you had some hopes for. Clearly Montgomery's, you know, your hopes for him are higher than what they were for heard, but a little bit of a disappointment there for him.
Speaker 1: I did see Brad Hawkins kind of he was well.
Speaker 3: He came back up from the field. They went down to the lower field. A lot of these guys. I did not see Herd at all. I did not either, but I saw at least at some point I think everybody else, maybe not Terres's Hall either, but I don't think I did see Chasing Hines come back from the lower fields. Trent Brown came out not in uniform. He has his uniform jersey, but no helmet.
Speaker 1: What's going on there?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's something, you know, And it's another thing that Phillips was asked about someone you know, Jude On looks like he's on this program, and Stevenson might be on that, and he's just like, you know, that's that's their their they deal with Bill. And you know, someone said you might call it load management. He goes, I don't know what you'd call it, but I'm not on any of that. So yeah, I think it is something to sort of keep an eye on. I mean, I would just highlight too.
Speaker 2: And and I mean remondra Stevenson looked like, you know, an active participant today. He didn't really see any padded action yesterday. He put they put him down on the field too. So I mean one part of it for me is just jude On and Remandre and Trump Brown are at three positions where they really don't have any depth. I mean, it is a drop off after those guys. You know, no disrespect to josh Uja, but those are three key guys that, especially the tackle position. I mean right now, it just seems like they're kind of scrambling along the offensive line trying to figure out what can happen. I mean, we're six practices in Paul and we've got you know, Riley Reef is playing left tackle.
Speaker 1: It's and Connor mcgermi's playing right right tackle, and and who's their other tackle? After that? I don't, Andrew Stuber, I guess so.
Speaker 2: I mean it's just it's, uh, I think of all the things that have been concerning, and we could talk about inconsistency on offense and you know, they really haven't been able to push ball down the field at all, just the tackle and the overall offensive line depth. Now with cold strange heard, it's a big concern this soon.
Speaker 3: I couldn't agree more about your point about depth because you certainly see and you know, someone would say, well, I mean they were missing these guys yesterday and obviously the performance was well yeah, and what happens if you're missing those guys and it's not like a ton of guys are out, but you see at the spots that you talked about, edge, rusher, running back, offensive line, specifically tackle, there's not a lot behind the guys that you're relying on. So you don't have to get ten, twelve, fifteen guys on IR to be in trouble. You can get the wrong three and it could really, you know, sort of disrupt the Apple card a little bit. But I did think that the practice tempo toward the end was a little bit higher. I agree with your assessment Mike. I thought the defense again continues to sort of you know, even the plays. I thought that the play that you talked about with Parker very well defended by Gonzales. You know, good catch by good catch by Parker. That's that's what he's known for. He goes up and makes those plays from time to time. And I continue to think that the best player on offense for the Patriots throughout campus hunter him. I think he's the guy who shows up most often, you know, and I think they're still searching. I think Mac had a couple today that he got confused on. Certainly the one that almost got picked off.
Speaker 1: That one is that Marcus Jones. Marcus Jones came off of his guy.
Speaker 3: I thought he really confused from It was a seven on seven from up above.
Speaker 2: Two saw it and it was like, I mean, I said it out loud. I'm like Juju, like he had him and he missed him, and you know, it allowed Marcus Jones able to close. There was also you know, a deep shot to Kendrick Bourne which wasn't complete.
Speaker 1: It was a pretty ball. I mean, I just liked at least he was, you know, kind of trying to push it down the field, and I'll keep.
Speaker 3: Going credit you know, and I've been critical of Marcus Jones. That's what I see.
Speaker 1: Marcus Jones is a step or two behind.
Speaker 3: But Bourne had him beat and you know, I mean Mac overthrew him.
Speaker 1: It happens.
Speaker 3: Nice to see them taking some shots today. Yeah, any any last thoughts before we wrap this one up.
Speaker 1: No, that's it. I'd like to get you know, like I said, I think they need to get healthy. I mean, I don't know what's up with Calvin Anderson.
Speaker 2: Bill was asked about him, but I just I think, you know, not that he's the savior, but you just you need some you need some other depth.
Speaker 1: And I really I shudder to think what happens.
Speaker 2: If you got to go into the season with with Riley Reef at left tackle and Connor McDermott right tackle.
Speaker 1: It's just it's it's it's a little bit scary. I agree.
Speaker 3: I agree. So the depth is an issue we will continue to monitor as these days go on. But like like Bill says, with Stack in the days, you know, day six in the books, We'll be back tomorrow.