Speaker 1: Another great day of inside training camp, live portions of ITC and all of these locations. We will recap the day's events and address some news on this edition of The Insiders, which starts right now.
Speaker 2: Everybody, Welcome to The Insiders.
Speaker 1: Patrick Claibon here in the NFL LA newsroom, Mike yarrolfollow just back from Eagles camp, and Judy Batista there at her ITC location with the Giants at the Greenbrier in West Virginia. But we start with what's new today coming into the nfl LA newsroom.
Speaker 2: And that's Aaron Donald back in RAMS equipment at a workout.
Speaker 1: He's wearing the RAMS equipment which requires the team to report the activity to the NFL. That's why Aaron Donald's name was listed on a part of a tryout and ignited so much further on social media today. The future Hall of Fame defensive tackle still mulling over a decision of whether or not to return to the NFL. As for current player Stefan Diggs. Here's a week from NFL Network insidery Ian Rapport. Stephan Diggs joining Jaden Daniels and the Washington Commanders on a one year deal could be worth up to twelve million dollars. As it took a little bit of time, but the guy we last saw in the Super Bowl, one of the best available free agents at wide receiver, MIC finds a landing spot.
Speaker 3: The marilynd native back to the DMV certainly knows the area and he knows Jayden Daniels a little bit as well. And look, the commanders, we knew they were going to make an addition at some point at the receiver position. They were in on guys in the spring, some big free agents that they didn't land, so this has been a need for them for going on what five months at this point. And the Brandon Aiyuk part of this is obviously a big part of it as well, that they thought a while back that perhaps that they would land him, but that those dominoes haven't started the fall, and there's a lot of them that needed to fall before him. He would become a Washington commander. So in the end, if you're Stefan Diggs, you say, we know they need us, let's keep holding out so that number gets to a nice number, and there you see the maximum number of the deal worth twelve million, So instant upgrade for a guy that's still got a lot of juice. You saw him last year that game in Buffalo. He played a fantastic game up there for the New England Patriots. And this is coming off at ACL by the way, So one more year removed. Yeah, I know he's a year later, but one year removed from an ACL should help him in that regard. Terry McLaren's still going to be the I. This is maybe one in one A, but they still expect big things from McLaren. They just know this, Judy. They just got a lot better at the receiver position with this edition.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Really, the commander's needs is longer than five months, right, They have needed somebody to complement Terry McLaurin longer than that, and they get a really good one, somebody who can take a lot of pressure off Terry McLaurin. Even if he is not quite as productive as he was last year for the New England Patriots, but frankly, there's no reason to think he can't.
Speaker 4: Be that productive.
Speaker 5: This is a big addition for Jaden Daniels he has had. Dix has had an incredible run of being good with young quarterbacks and helping young quarterbacks take the next step in their development.
Speaker 4: Think of who he's played with, Josh Allen, CJ. Stroud, Drake May. Last year.
Speaker 5: You saw the big leap Drake May made in just one season with Digs there. Now, Jaden Daniels gets the benefit of having a really reliable, experienced target. And again it is worth emphasizing Dix was super productive last season coming off the ACO.
Speaker 4: You really would never have known he was coming.
Speaker 5: Off in ACL by the time he got to the midpoint of the season.
Speaker 4: Big pickup for the Washington Commanders.
Speaker 5: And certainly we can talk at a later point what this means for Brandon Ayuk, but it is very good news right now for Jaden Daniels.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good news for the team in our Nations Capital. Good news for Jayden Daniels and those Commanders who were so good in.
Speaker 2: His rookie season.
Speaker 1: But they want to get back in the contention, especially in that division of division Judy, that also features the team you're covering today, the New York Giants.
Speaker 5: This was practice number seven one of New York Giants training camp here at the Greenbrier in White Sofur Springs.
Speaker 4: They have been really physical.
Speaker 5: This was a really long one two and a half hours it was really hot.
Speaker 4: Really, for the most.
Speaker 5: Part of training camp, the defense has been getting the best of the offense.
Speaker 4: The offense made some.
Speaker 5: Place today, but the defense made more after practice. We talked to Cavon Thibodeau, Omar Ruiz, and I talked to Kevon Thibdeaux.
Speaker 4: Here. He is.
Speaker 5: Cave On Thibodeau, New York Giant pass rusher and fill in NFL Network personality. The defense has looked really good in training camp. You looked good today. You just had a sack a few minutes ago. How do you think the defense is coming along?
Speaker 6: I mean we're playing well. I think we're yelling together. Things are going well. Coach and an artists really lit a fire under us. We love the defense, and I think we've just been working.
Speaker 7: How are you guys measuring success right now?
Speaker 2: Honestly, it's the effort.
Speaker 6: You know, one thing when you watch the tape, the only thing that jumps out is how guys are running and how guys are hidding.
Speaker 2: So as long as you run hard and we hit, things gonna look good.
Speaker 5: You were the subject of a lot of trade speculation in the off season. You've talked about it, and you said it doesn't really provide any extra motivation. You don't need extra motivation, but sort how do you process that.
Speaker 4: And move forward when you're in a contract year.
Speaker 6: You know, honestly, it's like when you're coming out of high school.
Speaker 2: You got all these offers.
Speaker 6: You know, you can get a million offers, but at the end of the day, you can only go to one school. You only play for one team, and right now with the New York Giants. So for me, we got to win. I got to play to my best season. I gotta do the best I can to help the team, and we gotta come out with tourious.
Speaker 8: You're a former top five pick, Abdul Carter or vl Reese now joins in that department. How do you guys come together this season? What are you guys saying to each other to hope that in twenty twenty six, you guys have your best season yet.
Speaker 6: I think you know, it's being humble, using our talents and kind of coming together to cultivate something great, you know, having a guy like Burns and tremain and inside that our vests that have been doing it. Even myself it's my fifth year, so being able to lean on the vents and have that new fresh talent come in and you know, make make a great pie.
Speaker 4: You've been a little bit on the inside as well. How do you like that? How do you like how they're moving your around?
Speaker 2: I've been moving around, man, I like it, you know.
Speaker 6: I think from the beginning when I started playing the sport, I want to be a technician, and you know, now I get the rush from all spots. You know, it's just making me better at my craft. And you know, I just feel like I'm matting a lot of tricks to my bag.
Speaker 8: We know that in ten years you want to be coming from our jobs. You want to work at the NFL Network as an analyst. So we're gonna put your analyst hat on. How would you assess how the offense is coming together?
Speaker 6: You know, I think the offense is doing well. I think they got a lot, a lot of grinding to do. I think Jackson is maturing. I think, you know, him being able to read the defense. He's going against one of the hardest defenses in the league. So him being able to dissect this pick up blitzes, pick up fronts and then still be able to deliver the ball where he needs to from his first read to a second read.
Speaker 2: I think it's going to continue to develop.
Speaker 6: But you know, with the guys that are surrounding him, from Odell to neighbors, when he gets back to all the supporting cast, they're going to do real well.
Speaker 5: All right, you brought up O'Dell, so we're gonna we have to ask you about Odell.
Speaker 4: How's Odell look to you, guys?
Speaker 2: I mean, he looks great. He's the og around here.
Speaker 3: Me.
Speaker 6: It's always funny because back when I was in like I don't know, I was like fourteen or fifteen, I had a haircut at the hairsnot I'm not old literally, but he's been at leave for a while in football years, you know he's old. So having him back and still seeing him go hard and train hard and be a leader usband great.
Speaker 8: What's it like to hear the crowd still erupt for him whenever he touches the football.
Speaker 7: The crowd goes wild. To see that now first, and you.
Speaker 6: Know that's influenced with great power comes great responsibility. I think he's handling it well, and I think he's going to continue to work and continue to solidify a spot on the team.
Speaker 5: Cave On thanks, continue to have a great training camp, continue to be great on television, and we'll see you in ten. Here's thanks so much, Thank you see soon. That was cave On Thibodeaux from inside training camp. Here is my partner Omar Ruiz, who has been with me all day at White Silfur Springs, and there is Mike Garrafolo.
Speaker 4: I think in air conditioning, so I'm really jealous of you, Omar.
Speaker 5: I will ask you first, what was your takeaway from Giants practice?
Speaker 8: Well, I'll start with how we ended that interview with Keveon Thibodeau and talk about Odell Beckham Junior, who at least for the last couple days, has looked fantastic. He's creating separation against the defense, his hands are as good as they've ever been, and what certainly hasn't changed is the response from the crowd that he gets whenever he touches the football.
Speaker 7: The crowd goes crazy.
Speaker 8: After practice, had a chance to ask him what kind of juice he gets from hearing the crowd go wild at this point in his career, and he symbolized like his knees were quivering. He says he still gets a lot of juice from that, he seems like he's deeply appreciative of this opportunity to come back where he says he became a man and try to win a championship for the organization, for this city, and at this point he just wants to keep stacking days like he has the last couple and keep working towards a shot to make this team and be a real contributor in twenty twenty six. My other key takeaway is seeing Isaiah Likely up close and what a great target he might be for Jackson Dart this season. We've seen him in Spurts a part of that potent Ravens offense over the last several years with Lamar Jackson and Derrek Henry and Mark Andrews as eight flowers. He has a real chance to emerge this season with the New York Chances Giants.
Speaker 7: He's shown that here the last couple of days he has.
Speaker 5: A real chance to really be their number two pass catcher behind the league neighbors, assuming he gets healthy. My takeaway is it is still up and down for the offense. We saw some good plays today, especially in the low red zone. Jackson Dark had some really good plays, but he started off the practice with two interceptions almost back to back, and that has.
Speaker 4: Been a theme. It's not unexpected.
Speaker 5: Frankly, he is learning a new offense, he's learning to play under center. They're all adjusting, they're all learning a new offense.
Speaker 4: So the up and down nature of what we're seeing is not surprising.
Speaker 5: But still, again it is practice number seven and you're wondering when is this going to come more smoothly for them.
Speaker 4: He did have some good performances.
Speaker 5: We've seen him also make some plays with his legs, which is what you would expect. But again, I think at some point you would like to see a little bit more smoothness from this offense.
Speaker 4: John Harbaugh is not concerned.
Speaker 5: He liked what he saw from Jackson Dark today, especially because he rebounded after the two early interceptions and performed so well in the low red zone.
Speaker 4: We will see when it comes.
Speaker 5: They don't have to play a preseason game until next weekend.
Speaker 4: We'll see how they do by then.
Speaker 3: Like he was making some mistakes last week when we were there close practice one day, we threw an interception to one of their defensive linemen, which was not a great way to end practice if you were a member of the offense and a reason why they were motivated to come back the next day and then strike quickly. They did just that in the team portion. So, yeah, you saw a little bit of that lego. See his handshakes, He's got customized handshakes for every player. Scataboo headbutt. Does that surprise anybody? Nope, But what they want him to do, because it was about learning the new offense and the terminology in the spring and then implementing it really once things got live in the summer, realizing that there's going to be mistakes along the way. Leave him in West Virginia, okay, and then there'll be somebody's Brutherford two. I exaggerated a little bit, But make the mistakes now and understand what you can and can't do. They're fine with him doing that to a certain extent, but it's got to be cleaned up and there's got to be fewer and fewer as he goes along as they get into the preseason, as they get back up here to Jersey to practice. So that'll that's what I'll be watching once they come back up here, once they get into some preseason game action.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they got a few more practices here they are here until Saturday. They leave on Sunday, and then they are right back at it in East Rutherford and we will be out there for it.
Speaker 4: Patrick, thank you guys.
Speaker 1: A former Giants, Saikwon Barkley and his Eagles adjusting to their new offense.
Speaker 2: He gets into the specifics.
Speaker 1: Of those changes with Mike g and Brian Balding are coming up on The Insiders, and after taking the highest paid title from Saquon, we hear from John Robinson for the first time since he signed his deal. That's coming up next right here on the inside.
Speaker 2: We're back on the Insiders.
Speaker 1: NFL preseason covers returns with thirty or more games alive. Don't miss marquee matchups and rivalries across all three weeks. Tune in beginning August thirteenth through twenty ninth on ESPN NFL Network as well. All games also available in the ESPN app. Not going to be available to anyone other than the Falcons anytime soon. John Robinson signed a three year extension that could be worth up to seventy five million dollars, and if that holds up, he'll be the highest fade running back in NFL history. Got a chance to hear from him after that deal today.
Speaker 9: Now, I hope he gets the most out of you know, what he deserves, because he deserves it, deserves it all. But it's definitely a cool feeling to see too, offensive guys, offensive weapon guys that got drafted in the same class. And now that we're in our going in our fourth year, we're talking about extensions, and you know, it's just it's just a testament to what God blessed us with and who we are as people.
Speaker 1: So John looking out to his fellow running back Jamir Gibbs and passing him to Baton, might as it's going to be his turn to take this deal.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, I mean, and all running backs are sort of in it together, and they all want to get paid because they feel like they haven't been paid enough. And this will help the case for Jamiir Gibbs, for Vijion Robinson to lay down that twenty two point twenty five in base value up to twenty five. You may be saying, I saw twenty five. Twenty five is the max value of the deal. There are some incentives and as good as he is, look at those sharks right there, look at those squads as good as he is, I'm sure he's gonna hit some of those incentives. So at least Jamir Gibbs and the Lions know where the bar is because previously it was like you're sort of flying blind because you don't want to come in and let's say twenty one and all of a sudden, Robinson's at twenty five and just blows you out of the water and you look bad as an agent. I mean, that's what this is all about. And that's what it's about at the cornerback position too as well, with Devin Witherspoon and Christian Gonzales. So this at least help. There was some patience and a nice job by the Atlanta front office. Frankly, this entire offseason, I continue to hear how this pretty green front office with Matt Ryan as the head of football, did a phenomenal job in dealing with some complicated situations and some complicated contracts, got this one done relatively early in campus.
Speaker 5: Well, this was all about who was going to go first and who would go last, And now Jamir Gibbs is going to go last. So you've got the price that we know he's going to top in some way.
Speaker 4: This is obviously very good news for Jamiir Gibbs.
Speaker 5: Dan Campbell said earlier this offseason, this guy is going to be our bell cow now that David Montgomery has gone. So we knew Jamir Gibbs was going to reset the market. It was just a question of if Jean was going to come after him or before him. Jamiir Gibbs will reset the market. We will see what it comes in at how much he resets the market. Frankly, I'm not even sure that the market has been appropriately reset yet. For what these running backs can do, these dual threat running backs, they are just as effective in the passing game as they are in the running game. They deserve all the money they can get. Very curious to see where Gibbs comes in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the workload for those guys in the run and pass game already expansive, and both teams seem points to rely on them even more are coming up. This skag money's worth, Yeah, everything that they could possibly get. The Falcons defensive plans seem to rely on two young edge defenders coming into the season.
Speaker 2: Now, big issues for both of them.
Speaker 1: That's what's new today, and MRI did confirm the bad news for Falcons top ten pick in twenty twenty five Jalen Walker. He went down yesterday in practice. It will cost him the remainder of his twenty twenty six season with the torn acl Team CEO Greg Beatles also said today they expect clarity from the league very soon in the next few days regarding a.
Speaker 2: Possible suspension for James Pierce.
Speaker 1: Concerns in Denver has newly acquired Broncos wide out Jalen Waddell left practice, but as head coach Sean Payton says, it's purely muscle tightness. He expects again the newly acquired star wide receiver to be just fine and great news for the Houston Texans and their wide receiver Tank Dell led a brutal knee injury two seasons ago. He was in pads practicing for the first time since that injury, an injury that really changed things that season for the Texans offense as well as his quarterback CJ. Stroud, who the team acknowledged contract discussions with coming up this offseason. He's in the final year of his rookie deal. He sat down for a discussion of football and life with Jane Slater and Kurt Warner.
Speaker 10: Here with CJ Stroud and CJ. Last time I caught up with you, we were in New England. Walked me through this offseason and what was your mindset heading into this year?
Speaker 11: It was really, you know, just get better, you know, focus on the things I can get better at. I always go to scripture and it was Philippians three and thirteen for me. Just forget what's in the past, Stratford, what's a his So that's kind of what I try to do, but learn from it as well.
Speaker 2: So that was that was my plan.
Speaker 12: I think it's fascinating to think about the idea of a good quarterback getting better, especially in the off season. So I do want to go back to that New England game because I think a lot of times we can learn more through some struggles than our successes. Was there something you were able to take from that game that you applied this offseason.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I mean I just think system things, you know, working you know with the whole line on protections, pocket movement, throwing on the run was.
Speaker 2: A big one for that game.
Speaker 11: So those are all things I attacked an offseason and you know, got to get go back to LA with my trainers and really, you know, go hard on it from I really didn't take take a break. So right after the game, I probably took like a day off and I flew home and they came and got right back to work.
Speaker 12: Talk to me about the mental side. It's such a huge part of playing quarterback. As I understand how we can get better physically. I mean, how do you get better mentally in the off season when you don't get seven on seven, you don't get bodies out there every day.
Speaker 11: I think you have to challenge yourself, you know, through through you know, watching film and talking to coach, talking with coaches over what you can do better. So and then I think on the other side of mentally is like how quick can you forget your your your failures and how quick can you forget your successes.
Speaker 12: I love that now everybody knows about Nico and that he's the go to guy, but you're gonna have to have some young guys, whether it's Tank obviously, Jayden Jalen coming in. Can you talk to me about how they compliment Nico in this office.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I think Nico of courses, you know, the one on one guy. He can do everything he can get in the slod go outside, you know, big playability, big gackt ability. And then you know the other guys. I think they're very talented. You know, some guys who played a lot of college ball, you know, play together in college with Hutch and Higg and j No.
Speaker 2: And then you got Tank.
Speaker 11: You got j Wad coming from a championship mentality.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 11: I think he has three rings, you know, so he has the mentality and that work ethic. And then also our tight end room I think the broad end. Marlin rookie from you know that team up North, he's doing very well. Then we got Dalton you know, of course our our a set tight end k Foster.
Speaker 2: Running backs doing well. So we and then my biggest thing is we're tough upfront.
Speaker 11: You know, we got some tough guys, some young guys who who are pushing everybody else, Like Keeling's doing great, why from the Browns had a lot of experience.
Speaker 2: I go on and on. Everybody's doing really well. So I'm very excited for the group we have.
Speaker 12: Offensively, Jane was talking about your mentality earlier, and I'm fascinated because obviously you guys have a great defense, but I know you're at your best when you're aggressive. How do you talk to the coaches about that balance between being you and being aggressive but also playing conservative when you need to feed into what your defense is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was tough for me at first. You know, I come from a.
Speaker 11: Background since I was a kid, my coach has always told me, you can make every throw in the field. Don't ever doubt yourself. We're rocking with you no matter what. So, you know, things kind of change as you get older. You got the mature and realize you don't always got to be Superman, but make the other guys around you superman. And you know, that's something that I'm still learning and I'm grateful that I have both abilities and I'm learning how to do both and I'm just, you know, trying to get better at that.
Speaker 13: Not easy.
Speaker 10: And it helps that they're actually giving you some pieces to the run game this year. You're getting some receivers back so you don't have to do everything and you can choose to be aggressive and some spons and not and others.
Speaker 4: CJ.
Speaker 14: So good to see you again. We cheer for you here at the NFL Network and looking forward to a good season.
Speaker 2: Thank you guys, now, bless you the crowd has started to chin MVB.
Speaker 15: Bet Barkley's during history six bark puking.
Speaker 2: Park, stay climbing.
Speaker 16: No one's ever done this over Crackward, I'm the Golden one, GM and.
Speaker 2: Them kind of holding one.
Speaker 1: What an incredible first season it was for Sakuon Barkley after arriving in Philadelphia, But the follow up season after the Super Bowl did.
Speaker 2: Not know so well.
Speaker 1: Falloffs in the past game and the run game for the Eagles, but incomes new offensive coordinator Sean Manion and Squon joining Mike Girlfoller and Brian Balding are talking about their new offense today.
Speaker 2: Like it's a new offense.
Speaker 4: There's been a lot of talk about that.
Speaker 2: Sean Manyon is, let's start there.
Speaker 3: Let's start with your grade on Sean Manyon.
Speaker 2: Maybe what surprised you so far about her?
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 16: I don't think it's fair to, you know, put a grade out anybody right now. I don't want to go out there and be like he just mad genius, even though actually believe that that's that's not fair to anybody. I think right now, we're all coming in, we're buying into the new system, trying our best to learn it each install getting better and better. I think he's doing a great job of, you know, being a leader of the group. I'll see, it's a system that he's very you know, aware of, and he knows a lot of it, and it's giving us information that we need and he's doing a great job of calling it up.
Speaker 13: We're going against vic.
Speaker 16: Vic is known to be one of the best defensive coordinators all time, one of the best coaches of all time, so that's a great challenge and he's doing a he's doing a really good job for us.
Speaker 3: Vic and his press conference today said, you know, the defense has won the last couple of days in his own humble but also a little bit of a job type of way. But is that is that part of it is like, Okay, we're gonna be seeing Fangio style defenses, so let's work against it in camp and let's let's find some answers to it.
Speaker 16: Yeah, I say, I'll say that week one that got us. You know, I don't want to make any excuses they should. You know, they're they're running a system that they know already and we're learning something new right now. I think it's two to one. Second week. I think it's two to one. Some people may disagree. I have that conversation with all the guys and defensive in the locker room out there, but yeah, you see this kind of this kind of defense all around the league, and we are defense running at a high level.
Speaker 13: I think they're the best in the league. I know that the best in the league.
Speaker 16: So the fact that we get to go against them every single day, it's only going to make us better.
Speaker 13: And it's great competition.
Speaker 16: And you want to be a championship team, and you need a championship defense and championship offense.
Speaker 13: And we're trying to build to that.
Speaker 17: Tagging in my partner Brian Balling it tack one, it's a team thank here.
Speaker 2: So I want to get all what's what's the difference for a back?
Speaker 17: I mean, just for the people out there, being eight yards deep the quarterback under center versus being in shotgun, and the difference is for you making the reads and seeing things develop.
Speaker 13: Yeah, the best way I can explain that.
Speaker 16: A lot of backs that come from college, or when I was in college, a little bit different. Now you see a little more under centered. But when I was in college, we all weren't gun. I don't think I went under center one time in college. And you see a lot of guys they come from college and they struggle in NFL when they got to get into the diet and you gotta run outside zone.
Speaker 13: You're so used to running duo in size zone.
Speaker 16: The difference is for me, I feel like it gets me an opportunity to get down here a little bit. It gets me opportunity to manipulate the defensive back or the defensive linebackers a lot better. And you just got to continue to trust your office a line because they're coming off the ball, they're flying off the ball, and you know the type of guys that we have, how they're moving off the ball.
Speaker 13: Let them do what they do best.
Speaker 16: Put yourself in the right gap, be patient, and when it's time to strike, make sure you strike.
Speaker 17: What you said was interesting, those safe one because your eyes are on the linebackers and you're manipulating them. Some people just think it's all about finding the whole and then getting through it and then you do your thing. But you're seeing it from early on when you're getting the handoff.
Speaker 13: We're together.
Speaker 16: We're a unit, right, And there's some runs you'll see that the old line is doing their job, but it's up to me to make sure that I get my shoulder square and I get that linebacker to commit to this gap so I know I could take it to this gap PFF grade. You know you don't get any yards after contact for that, But that's part of being a running back.
Speaker 13: That's part of being a running back. You got to do that.
Speaker 16: You got to know the scheme, You got to know what the officer line, the angles that they're going on, and trying your best sh to put the linebackers in the safeties where they need to be so it can make.
Speaker 13: Your life a lot easier.
Speaker 16: And when you have guys like I have up front, especially right now, how they've been moving and they're healthy, it just makes you excited to play running back.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about your quarterback, because when we talked about this new offense and some of these schemes and under center and all this stuff, people.
Speaker 2: Were saying, well, well, that's not it.
Speaker 3: He's he's had so many different offenses and coordinators going back to his college career.
Speaker 2: How do you see him adapting? What do you see for him.
Speaker 13: So far this summer?
Speaker 16: A lot of people that have those opinion can never do what he's able to do. One thing about Jalen Hurt is that that I'm a big fan about one. He's competitor and he's going to adapt to anything he needs to do, and he's going to do whatever it takes.
Speaker 13: A one football game, he's coming in.
Speaker 16: He's buying in just like every singlebody else and supporting when your quarterback's buying in because that's the leader of.
Speaker 13: Your team and we're all following him. He's buying into the system.
Speaker 16: He's doing a really good job of being coachable, and he's making plays out here.
Speaker 13: Like I said, we're going against Vic.
Speaker 16: You know Vic, he's doing something crazy every single day, something new that might pop up later in the season and you'd be like, wow, I remember Vic doing that and defend in training camp practice number four. So it's definitely a challenge, but we're improving. Were getting better every single day, and it starts with Jalen. He's doing a fantastic job.
Speaker 1: Say going never ourselves working, we're not working towards the future. That's Saquon Junior, his second child, showing the start stoppability after practice, also getting some spin work and with Dad i'llbeit Dad doing it a little more dangerous variety once the NFL season starts. As a great day out there at Eagles Camp.
Speaker 2: Mike, look at the kid.
Speaker 3: We asked him about it today, He's like he said, he hurdled him. I don't know where that clip came from. Maybe somebody else that had that clip of him hurtling his son. One day his son might hurtle him or maybe another defender. And like I told him, wind up on the cover of Eden.
Speaker 1: Who knows an opportunity for us to look back on your day at Eagles Camp. Saquon decidedly was not going to put a grade on any offensive install. Did you have any grades from what you saw today?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's an incomplete right now. And as say Quon said, it's unfair to go against the defense, and it was exactly what they're doing. We're still working through the kings here. But I think that's also part of the element of surprise that they're banking on. They'd be real tight with some of the wrinkles that we might see here because they want some un scouted looks early in the season. That would be a good thing for Jalen Hurts because everything we've heard the last couple of years. Oh boy, it's predictable. That word always seems to come out. This will not be predictable. Will it be fully affected, Judy, I don't know, but I can guarantee you through the first couple of weeks in the season it won't be predictable.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: This is an awful lot of new for the Eagles offense right a new offensive coordinator, obviously, a new offensive line coach for the first time in like forever.
Speaker 4: Obviously Aj Brown has gone.
Speaker 5: So there's a lot to adjust to and a lot to work through here. And I don't know how fast it's all going to come. Certainly the first few weeks that the season are going to be a surprise to everyone.
Speaker 4: I am sure we're going to.
Speaker 5: Discuss it, discuss it exhaustively, especially if it doesn't go well right out of the gate. But this is what offense this is around the league look like at this time of the year, especially offenses that are changing, the defenses are ahead of them. It's happening here at the Giants, even though this defense is new, Joe, they are ahead of the offense because they are learning a new offense that's what's happening in Philadelphia. I feel like we all need to take a deep breath. And I speak for all of us too, we don't take a deep breath. We need to take a deep breath and let this evolve and we'll see what it looks like, you know, a month into the season.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Another question that we've had for the Eagles DeVante Smith in practice today. Who's going to be the number two? Could it be mackay Lemon, Could it be Dantavian Wicks, who's been in this offense before, Hollywood Brown who is of the shorter stature, but he can burn right there. We asked Jalen Hurts with receivers really stepping up the him, how about Darius Coomer from last year, an undrafted guy at nine receptions? That's the guy that he mentioned, And Baldy was with me. So what did Baldi do? He went right home and did a breakdown of Darius Cooper that you can check out on his social media feeds. So I think that it's going to be a little bit of a you know, committee, but that'll be a different approach to be good for the Eagles to not have to go We've got to force the ball here, which they tried to do last year and didn't work. It's great to have that guy when you need them, but it didn't work that way.
Speaker 4: This is going to be.
Speaker 3: You may not see a number two receiver. You may see two through four as like this plateau for the Eagles.
Speaker 1: Yeah, don't define hard and fast rules, and Mike, we did find it. We found the cliff of Saint Quon Barkley in America's youth, including his own actual youth as he heards his child.
Speaker 2: For the score. You got some growing to do, saikwon junior.
Speaker 3: But hey, good job NBC Sports Philly.
Speaker 2: It keeps the young man off the turf there.
Speaker 1: When we come back, we get back to the Texans. What a dominant defense. How do they follow up the great year they had. We'll get back to Jane Slater and Kurt Warner in Houston. After the break, we're back on the Insiders. A quick recap of the day's news. Stefan Diggs will be joining Jane Daniels and the Commanders sound a one year deal could be worth up to twelve million dollars. A couple of teams ago. Stefan Diggs could last be seen for his other teams with the Houston Texans, who continued their work in Houston today, a day where Tank Dell made his first return to padded practice since the brutal injury that came late in the twenty twenty four season. Jane Slater and Kurt Warner report from Texans camp.
Speaker 10: All Right, Kurt, we have wrapped up day seven of practice down here in Houston, the third padded practice.
Speaker 14: And then tomorrow they get an off day.
Speaker 10: Things that stood out to me today tank Dell returning to practice for the first time in pads, doing a lot more than we've seen since that injury.
Speaker 14: So that was good. And then c J Streud joined us, and I was at that.
Speaker 10: Game in New England, and I saw the confidence wavering a bit, and the frustration and all the critics talking about has CJ lost it?
Speaker 14: As he's seeing ghosts. I'm talking with them.
Speaker 10: I personally walked away, going, he's done some honest reflection.
Speaker 14: He's able to put it in the past. I'm not worried about Ellen. What was your sense?
Speaker 12: Yeah, I think that's so important as a quarterback to be realistic when you have struggles, when you have a foreig interception game, to go back and go, Okay, what can I do better? How do I learn from that? But at the same time, go, but that's not me. You know, that's not who I'm going to be. I know what I'm capable of, so I can learn from that. But then I can push it aside and be confident. And that, to me is what it sounded like CJ was saying, is that he spent the off season learning.
Speaker 2: Figuring out how he can get better.
Speaker 12: He knows he hasn't played up to his expectations to what he did as a rookie.
Speaker 2: How do you get back to that point?
Speaker 12: And a big thing that he emphasized to us was second year in the offensive system and how much more comfortable he feels now. I don't think anybody at home can fully understand what that means. You know, they expect you to step you know, under center or in the huddle every single time and be the same no matter how many offenses you've been in, no matter what language you're speaking. You're supposed to be that guy. But there is something too taking twelve months to learn the nuances of a system, to know when a play is called into your huddle, you can visually see it. You know exactly what everybody's gonna do. You know what your responsibilities are at the line of scream engine. You know, he kind of insinuated us that he wasn't fully comfortable last year, as much as he wanted to be, as much as you try to push it, he wasn't in that place coming out this year. Talking to coach Ryan's, everybody's saying he's in a different place. He's in a better place within this offense. He seemed confidence. I'm excited to see. You know, we already know about their defense. You know, he's got some young weapons there, but can he get back to his rookie form, that top five form that we saw early in his career, and we know a lots riding on it. With that big contract kind of sitting out there.
Speaker 14: What's got to help him a little bit?
Speaker 10: To Kurt that they made such a heavy investment on that offensive line, went out and got Wyatt Tuller from the Browns. They got Keilan Rutledge, who is We talked to Miko about him. They love He's become the pet cat around here. And then also the running game, it was an area of deficiency. They went out and they got David Montgomery to pair with Woody Marks who was coming along. So you know, if this offense can just do a little bit better, you'll look at all those close games last season and the season before we know what we've got from defense in Houston. They just see that offense take the next step. We're hopeful after talking to them.
Speaker 1: Tom for the Fantasy headlines as we get you ready for your fantasy football draft, and we start with Stefan Diggs gets a one year deal could be worth up to twelve million dollars. The former Viking and Bill and Texan and Patriot now finds a home with the Washington Commanders, which is also where we last saw zach Ertz, who has finished his rehab. He has been cleared for all football activities after his torn acl and he looks to find the team.
Speaker 2: So let's welcome in part of the Fantasy Live team.
Speaker 1: It is Michael Floydo and Adam Rank here on the Insiders to discuss how this news affects our particular fantasy lineup. So let's start with you, Mike, how does Digs to Commanders affect fantasy managers going forward?
Speaker 3: I think Diggs is a tremendous value right now.
Speaker 18: I think he's been underrated all summer, but it makes sense because he didn't have a team. But I still think he is going to be a value. This guy had the fifth most one hundred yard games amongst wide receivers last season, and he's been a wide receiver two fantasy wise every year but one since his second year in the NFL. His current ADP on ESPN is wide receiver sixty. I have him in my top forty. I think this is big arrows up for Jaden Daniels, who has been my QB three all summer, and Terry McLaurin. If his ADP takes a hit here, huge buying opportunity in my opinion.
Speaker 19: I love the highlight whereas Diggs gets cheap shotted right there and then the guy's like, look who is at Lionel MESSI sitting there and being like, oh, he was covering his mouth or whatever.
Speaker 2: I don't know. It was rude.
Speaker 19: I'm glad that Jane Daniels has some healthy Yeah, he gets some help there.
Speaker 1: We get an opportunity for more stuff on diggs highlights other than him in the Super Bowl. Let's go to Zach Ertz or are we stashing zach Ertz hoping he founds the team?
Speaker 19: You know, I think if you're one of those people who likes to make puns in your fantasy football names, you have to have zach Ertz. He is the lynch pin for so many puns in fantasy football. But when I look around the league, I don't know if this is the best fit fantasy wise, But to me, I think a team like the Green Bay Packers make an awful lot of sense for them. Obviously, Tucker Kraft is returning to them, and he is expected to be their number one tight end when he does. But recently the Packers released a couple of tight ends, brought in a couple more guys, including McCallan, Castles, Drew Biver, guys coming in to trying to fill that role. But I think that as the league is moving more towards twelve personnel, we're seeing a lot of thirteen personnel as well. I'm zach Ertz in a lafleur offense makes a lot of sense. Yeah, That's probably why he's working so hard to get back.
Speaker 1: As the explosion of twelve personnel kind of infiltrates the entire league. Let's go over to a bit of a sleeper discussion, which will immediately stop being sleepers as soon as you, guys, Michelliss will start with a quarterback.
Speaker 2: Who's your sleeper quarterback right now?
Speaker 18: Malik Willis, who right now on ESPN has an ADP of the twenty fourth quarterback off the board. I think he has top twelve upside because since two thousand, there have been forty four quarterbacks who ran at least one hundred times in a season. Sixty percent of them averaged twenty or more fantasy points per game.
Speaker 4: All but five.
Speaker 3: Averaged seventeen and a half.
Speaker 18: And that was the criteria to be a top twelve fantasy quarterback last year. And don't look now, but in the last two years he leads all qualified quarterbacks and passer rating, amongst other stats. And I think Miami's going to trail a lot, which not only means having to throw and ketchup not a good amount, it also.
Speaker 3: Means dropbacks means more scrambling.
Speaker 18: Opportunities for the very athletic Milik Willis, so I love grabbing him as my QB two in drafts.
Speaker 19: Yeah, very odd that the Packers got rid of their best quarterback.
Speaker 2: But see it doesn't matter. Let's go to the running back position.
Speaker 19: And I love Jadarien Price taking over as possibly the number one running back for the Seattle Seahawks. Now, obviously there was a change as Koub goes down to be the head coach both the Las Vegas Raiders, which means bliant Brian Florey.
Speaker 2: Excuse me, he is.
Speaker 19: Gonna be the offensive coordator after spending some time with the San Francisco forty nine ers. But the systems are the same. There shouldn't be too much of an overhaul there, and we would expect Price to have a similar workload to what we've seen from Seattle running backs over the last couple of years.
Speaker 2: But the most impressive thing for anybody who is.
Speaker 19: Watching Hard Knocks, you saw him catch a pass like yep, sault we're in. He catches passes. That's exactly what we want. But I think there's a real good opportunity for him. You can see right there the ADP close to eighty. I feel like that's a steal.
Speaker 18: I love that Hard Knocks were like, he's pretty fast, Like he is a running back. You know, those guys tend to be pretty fast. I'm gonna go with a wide receiver though on a team that rank. I know you don't.
Speaker 3: Love Jayden Reid. Who you see the ADP right there, it's so low.
Speaker 18: And the thing is the Packers they have a less crowded wide receiver room this year. And the talk out of camp right now is that Jayden Reid could be playing in two wide receivers. And we've seen him flash before. We've seen him play at a very wide receiver one wide receiver two type level, just not over a full season. But if the Packers a running more fast paced offense, they throw the ball more like they're saying they want to.
Speaker 3: I think that means great things for Jaden.
Speaker 19: Reid and I'm gonna go to the tight end position. And Kenyon City, who unfortunately is suffering a little bit of a setback from his herniada disc Aaron Glenn still said that he doesn't expect him to have surgery. They still fully expect him to be ready for Week one. One of the things that I do love about him is his speed. You see right there, he's taken he's taking a hand off. He ran a four to three to nine to the combine. This is a flyer. This is who I would take in said of somebody like zach Ertz.
Speaker 1: Folks football, fantasy football is not back, It's available for us.
Speaker 2: Thanks to Patamrik and Michael Floro our showy Aug.
Speaker 1: Seventeenth, looking for to fantasy off play the number one Fantasy game, the official fantasy game of the NFL on ESPN Fantasy Knew the season knockout leagues. Each week the lowest scoring team eliminated until only one is left standard. There can be only one sign up to play the number one Fantasy game.
Speaker 2: How about this?
Speaker 1: Raiders fans getting their season tickets with a lovely briefcase, a deck of playing cards, some chips as well. Looking forward to the Raiders twenty twenty six, the season is you got the whole poker set there, great stuff there. Thanks to Josh Cox for sharing that and a special visitor at rams Camp today. Did you guys know Clayton Kershaw and Matthew Stafford we're friends back in the day, Texas Super Bowl Champion, World Series Champion, curse hanging out at rams Camp today in La. I love that those two keep that relationship going. The Minnesota Vikings hope and they can return to their successful offensive ways to pair with what Brian Flores' unit was able to accomplish on defense in twenty twenty five, they only gave up four point seven yards per play.
Speaker 2: Number three in the league. They just need to pick a quarterback first.
Speaker 1: Ian Rappaport and Mark Ross on that decision from Egan Minnesota here.
Speaker 7: At Vikings practice.
Speaker 20: There's a lot to discuss with this Vikings team, but Mark, of course, it starts and ends with the quarterback position. A real and true quarterback competition. There's a couple this year around the NFL. This is probably the most high profile of Kyler Murray, the top free agent on the board, who got his preferred destination being with Kevin O'Connell. And this Vikings offense certainly has impressed thus far, and you have JJ McCarthy the first rounder, still very talented. Is really I would say, fought to find that consistency. There's a lot of benchmarks as far as when and where and how they're going to make that quarterback decision.
Speaker 2: Today's Paddot practice was one of them.
Speaker 7: Preseason games are another.
Speaker 20: From your standpoint, what's the best option for the Minnesota Vikings.
Speaker 21: Yeah, I think is of course, you want both to perform well, and then you have a tough choice as opposed to won playing really well or one average the other one playing bad.
Speaker 2: But to me, Kyler Murray.
Speaker 21: Is the guy because he's shown he can be profic You know, we've forgotten the last couple of years that his early career with being an offensive rookie of the year, hooking out with DeAndre Hopkins having some prolific seasons there in Arizona. So for him, it's the playmaking has never left him. It's just in the pocket, you know, his lack of height length still shows up as far as operating there on a consistent level, as opposed to JJ who, as you mentioned, still trying to find his way, still trying to find that pace and the quickness in the pocket and playmaking that you need for your offense to really hum and compete. So I think if Kyler Murray is anywhere close to what he looked like, that'll give the Bikings a chance. Because they had a ton of talent on offense, their defense should be nasty once again, So the quarterback steps in there and says we don't have to win games, which makes some plays to get enough for us to.
Speaker 2: Get in the mix.
Speaker 20: If you want to win games to Vikings, one great way to do it throw it to Justin Jefferson looking as good as ever. Jordan Atison not out there, suffered a little bit of a sprained thumb, so it's really the Justin Jefferson show, as it's been the last several years with the Vikings.
Speaker 2: Before we send it.
Speaker 20: One of the big highlights here Caleb Banks, the first round up from Florida.
Speaker 7: Absolutely massive.
Speaker 20: It certainly stood out early and has the potential to be a major impact player for this Vikings defense.
Speaker 2: Thanks to Ian and Mark Ross as well.
Speaker 1: Back with Judy and Omar Ruiz as guys, we're almost done with our show, but we got the Hall of Fame game tomorrow.
Speaker 2: What are you looking forward to most is football returns, Judy.
Speaker 5: I am looking forward to watching Carson Beck, fellow Hurricane.
Speaker 4: Gokaines in his pro debut.
Speaker 5: I'm very excited for him because, quite frankly, he may have the best chance of all the rookie quarterbacks of getting on the field first this season.
Speaker 4: So looking forward to seeing Carson's debut.
Speaker 8: And I'm looking forward to what offense he's running after hearing Mike Lafleur saying they're not going to be the forty nine Ers offense.
Speaker 7: The Rams offense, or the Packers offense.
Speaker 8: Will have a better idea on what the actual Cardinals offense looks like after tomorrow night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well he get answers, because right now everybody's undefeated.
Speaker 1: But tomorrow night we can no longer say that, and somebody will lose, not necessarily a game else, but a game that's gonna count to all of us who are rabid about this particular game for Judye Batista, Omar Wiez, Mike Garriffollo, I'm Patrick Claybo. No show tomorrow, but game day kickoff at seven EASTERNS ahead of the Hall of Fame game. Enjoy it, buddy,