Speaker 1: When you were in I'm going to say middle school, since we're going to try to keep it real here. When you were in middle school, were you part of a small, strange click or were you part of like the large, cool, popular kids or were you totally friendless Sabrina, I'm curious. I'm guessing it wasn't.
Speaker 2: See, I wasn't friendless. That was really when I really started in the industry. So I was kind of in and out of a lot of different things. I was playing soccer at the time, I was dancing a ton, I had my industry dance friends. I had friends I'd made on set for like commercials, So I kind of had a lot of different things that I was kind of popping in and out of. I would say, as always, like us, dancers were kind of weird, so I guess that would be my like weird click at Okay, Yeah, what about you? Was it your Was this the the the bike era?
Speaker 1: Yeah? This was dirt bike era and middle school I sixth, sixth, and seventh grade and part of eighth grade were pretty good. Then there was a straight up political power upheaval in the eighth grade class, Okay, and the kids that were cool and at the top were literally taken down. I heard one kid literally say at a party, it's time we take him down, as if it was a coup in some country. It was amazing. I don't want to get into avon middle school falcon politics. Yeah, geez wow.
Speaker 2: No, nothing was happening like that in my era. But I would say middle school was rough for me. I And when I look back at pictures, I don't I remember feeling out, you know, my my body was changing. I remember it just being like rough, like it just I the boys didn't like me. I wasn't really. I was very short, you know, I just as opposed to now, as opposed to now where I grew that that you sprouted, you sprouted, You're huge, awesome. I was short. I was like four to nine for ten, What are you now? I'm five foot so it was like a three inch difference. But that was little compared to my friends, my guy friends that were doing these huge gross spurts. My all my girlfriends were their bodies were developing, and I just looked like a little boys like.
Speaker 1: Oh no, you know when you have five feet did the basketball coach Tretter curuit you.
Speaker 2: I'm just trying of course.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I figured, perfect gymnastize, right, yes see, there you go, there you go. I was just curious because we got one today that really is a little bit about clicks. Yeah, and some of the stranger clicks and some clicks where I go, huh, that's never been a click in any school ever in the history of the world. But we'll get into that. First. Welcome back to Magical rewind, the show that makes you want to grab your friends, your pj's and your popcorn and go back to a time when all the houses are smart, the waves, tsunamis and the high school's musical I'm Wilford all Brian and oh the movie we're talking about today. Let's just say, spit clean the mighty Apple Trophy until it shines, because we're hit the lanes, daddy O. Let's break down. Two thousand sports comedy Ali Kat's Strike, which was not about Cat's bowling. Part of me says, thank god, part of me was like, huh, I kind of wish it was about Cat's bowling. Disney made this dcom combining interests you never saw coming. Bowling and swing music, you know, two things kids In early two thousands, loved. It debuted on the channel March eighteenth, two thousand, my mom's birthday, and includes a young actress that would become one of TV's biggest stars just a mere seven years later. It was filmed in Toronto. The script also delves into the world of vintage clothing, and it's worth noting this was four years after the release of the movie Swingers, a film that helped repopularize big band and swing music and brought back the wardrobe and slang from the twenties and fifties which we'd sorely been lacking in the nineties. While many of the decoms we cover find themselves on best of lists or part of recent splashback intorrelevance, the truth is there's just not a lot about this movie ally, catch strike online. It's one of those completely forgotten films we stumble onto every once in a while and we'll get into what we thought about it. I don't you know, is it my favorite movie ever? No, but you know that shouldn't be forgotten. But anyway, the film did have a memorable soundtrack, though, and that included ska music from Fishbone, pump rock from a band called Squirt Gun, a pop song Pedal to the Metal from Hollywood Records, boy band Youngstown featuring Kel Mitchell of all People, and a plethora of swing and big band tunes from pianist and bandleader Bill Elliott and the Bill Elliott Swing Orchestra, which kids were just digging at the time. They weren't. I'm guessing no one's heard of him except people who were big Bill Elliott fans, and I'm sure there were a ton of them. Did you were you in the swing dance? You were a dancer, So.
Speaker 2: If a new dancing swing dancing loved it. I've loved the fifties era and vibe my whole life. I loved poodle skirts. I loved you know, that was like my favorite thing to do dressing up when I was younger. Yes, yes, that was I loved it. And then when the gap commercials started coming out, it was like, Mom, how come they're not having any kids in these gap commercials because I need to be one of these gap dancers sowing dance. Yeah I can swing it a little bit. I haven't done it in so long, but yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Were you ever like have a partner that was like throwing you around and doing all that stuff like behind the back and everything.
Speaker 2: There was a guy at the studio that I was dancing at that him and I went and took a couple lessons and kind of would go to some of the It was it kind of infiltrated the Latin ballroom world at time. Bit and his dad had a little bit of a something in there, so we would go to those, but we would be with all older people, older older people in their their sixties and seventies that compared to us as twelve and thirteen year old, so people that were alive. Just him and I and we were like, you know, going at it and it was fun. It was a good time. But I love swing dancing.
Speaker 1: So that's great. I stopped shopping at the Gap because of those commercials. Now, wow, I'm kidding. It is true that Ali Cat Strike has been lost a bit to the test of time, but it did hold one very important record when it comes to its presence on the internet. Do you have any idea what that might be, Sabrina, No idea? Okay, you ready for this?
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: In twenty fourteen, Ali Kat's Strike was announced by Slate as the record holder for the longest movie plot summary on Wikipedia and know there is absolutely no reason for that whatsoever. Just a fan of the movie decided to write a forty two hundred and sixty six words synopsis of the film because they apparently had a ton of free time on their hands. Now, to put that into perspective, Saving Private Ryan, The Godfather, and Titanic all had summaries under seven hundred and fifty words. Wow, Shindler's List, which is a two hundred minute movie. There thereabouts one hundred and ninety seven minute movie about the Holocaust, was broken down with just seven hundred and three words. Again, four thousand, two hundred and sixty six words about Ali Cat Strike. It's important to give our listeners an update. However, now ten years later, it appears this has changed and the summary was adjusted to better represent the stylings of Wikipedia. Some of us choose our legacies, others have it thrust upon him. Okay, Sarena, did you know anything about Ali Cat Strike before we watch this movie?
Speaker 2: I thought that I did, and I do. As the movie was going on, I feel like there was an older version with like older care, like there was another version of Only Nolly movie that I was thinking of or something, because I didn't recognize a lot of it except for the final bowl of them, okay, And I was like, no, this is the movie that I was remembering, so I won't give away because we're not anywhere near there. But when that happened, I was like, no, this is it because I remember.
Speaker 1: Okay, all you're gonna have to tell Oh I can't wait. Oh man, I can't wait. You want to take a guess on whether I've heard of this or not?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: No, of course not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I bet you have actually, because you love swing dancing.
Speaker 1: Swinging swing dancing. This awesome. Do you bowl?
Speaker 2: I do? I love bully me too. I love love love bullying me too. I actually meant to wear my bowling shirt. I forgot to put it on when when I got ready, I do. I I love bowling. It's one of those things that I stopped doing for whatever reason, don't have time, And then anytime I go bowling one time, I'm bowling for the next like a couple weeks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like golf. Yes, yeah.
Speaker 2: Did you ever bowl at Jerry's Pins in La? Of course as epic. It's so sad, it's gone right.
Speaker 1: You always told me that I was there you're like, oh no, there's no way that you were that lame in high school and bubblah. So I had no friends. I met one friend who was a year ahead of me. I think this was sophomore year. His name is Jeremy Conover. Shout out Jeremy, and he and I. He would pick me up in his caravan and because we could smoke cigarettes in his caravan, and we would go bowling every single weekend for an entire year. Wow, and we just kept trying to break two hundred. We finally both did it. We were so excited. But that was high school for me. Was bowling. And then I picked it up again as an adult and I was getting back into it. And then I dropped it for years. And then I went bowling with Danielle Fischel and producer Jensen carp I even forget what city we were in. Danielle decided to film me for my first bowl, you know, going and I fell, and she has it. I think she posted it. We'll post it again. I wipe out my first ever bowling. So did you.
Speaker 2: Hit your back or your front? Did you go?
Speaker 1: No? I caught myself. I caught myself going forward. But I fall on, fell down, and I looked back at her and she's just laughing hysterically while she's filming me.
Speaker 2: Oh, do you have shoes and your ball and your own ball?
Speaker 1: Oh? Absolutely so.
Speaker 2: My parents were in a league and I found my mom's ball and her shoes, and immediately those were minds from them.
Speaker 1: You gotta do that, so rad, it's so much fun. It's so much fun. But before any of you out there line up your own seven ten split, let's get into a briefly worded synopsis, because we're not going to go forty two hundred and sixty six words.
Speaker 2: Thank god.
Speaker 1: A group of hip retro teenage outsiders become involved in an interschool bowling rivalry. What are your thoughts, Saberena. Did you like this movie or not?
Speaker 2: I did? I liked it. I loved first of all, we haven't gotten there yet, but the cast is unbelievable. There are so many familiar faces, just a ton of fun. And I liked bowling. I really did. I think it was a fun, differentferent different movie, different than what I thought we would ever really probably come across.
Speaker 1: Honestly, I I hoped for more. I did, because this, to me is like it's set up the school rivalry, you get a sport like, to me, this is the dance off, this is the you know, school against school, This is the surf off, this is the bike off. This is rad Like, oh man, I'm so in. And then it was kind of like, oh okay, it's a movie. Like it was just I wish they did more with bowling, with all of them learning how to bowl, with teaching them, but like make it like, you know, you've got to learn to ride the bike, you've got to learn the dance, You've got to learn that. So I was hoping for a little bit more. Again, the cast will get into the cast. They're all great, they've all gone on to do amazing things. To me, I didn't love this movie. I didn't hate this movie. It was like, okay, I watched I watched a movie. Yeah, I didn't have to stop its. I was bored, but I also wasn't riveted by what I was seeing on the screen.
Speaker 2: I definitely had to remind myself this was an earlier Yes, and a lot of.
Speaker 1: That post Johnny Tsunami and Brink Yes.
Speaker 2: Yes, but I feel those were not those were more with those two kinds of sports. That was different. Those are a lot more energy entertaining, and yeah, you know, and so I think what they This one seemed more like a It wasn't a big Johnny tsunami. It was just the one that you know, comes the month after it, you know what. I feel like they had. They've always done these banger ones and then there's filler ones, and they off. This one was more of a filler one. But I liked it. I liked it nonetheless.
Speaker 1: I did it. I didn't dislike it. It just it's, you know what, it is, exactly like the Internet two weeks from now. I'm not gonna remember anything about this movie.
Speaker 2: Got it, okay, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: It's like I can still wat I can still close my eyes and see zombies. I know. It's a bad example. I'm not gonna remember Ali Kat Strike anytime.
Speaker 2: All Right, We're gonna have to disagree with that one, I really think. I mean, just the these young actors in it, A lot acts are great visuals. I'm just gonna get rid of it.
Speaker 1: And one of them stole the movie, and we'll get into that. But anyway, Ali Kat Strike was directed by Rod Daniel, a TV director whose first job earned him three Emmy nominations as a director of the classics sitcom Oh Wait for It, because it's one of the best sitcoms of all time. W Kops and Snati.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much.
Speaker 1: That's well, that's that's Oh my god. Les Nessman is one of the greatest characters ever. Anyway, he would soon after have a string of theatrical hits, starring Oh the Ultimate, Michael J. Fox, of course, The Juggernaut, Teenwolf, one of the best movies ever, leading to Like Fatherlike Son, Canine, The super and Beethoven Second. He's kind of a get for Disney at the time, though in all fairness it was later in his career, but still again and the movie stars. Here's the amazing caster talking about Kyle Schmid as Alex Thompson. Schmid was Toronto born, so a bit of a local hire who was known as the star of the Canadian Kids show I was a sixth grade Alien. He is of course recognizable to our listeners and my co host here as Derek in another d The Cheetah Girls, and would later be seen in movies The Pacifier, History of Violence, The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants and just to see her on the TV show and Cis origins. Were you and Kyle friends at this point or did you hate him for ruining your chances at winning the Disney Games and you're never going to speak to him again.
Speaker 2: No, Kyle was actually not at the Disney Games, but I was. I really liked Kyle. He was at a you know, obviously before even the Cheatah Girls, he had done so much and in Toronto he was awesome in taking us around. For me, it was my first time being eighteen on my own, you know, exploring a brand new city. So he was very cool to hang out with. And then as we would come back around to Toronto throughout the Cheetah Girls days, we would make sure we called Kyle and and would hopefully try to meet up with him when we could catch up. Yeah. Absolutely, And I mean following his career there after the Cheaterah Girls, I mean he's still working a ton. It's really cool. Yeah, he's somebody who you knew on the way up. Just really do well.
Speaker 1: I love this killing it. The movie co stars Robert Richard as Todd McLamore, an actor best known as Bobby Walker on the TV show Cousin Skeeter, but his resume is exceptionally long and he's still working a ton. He was in movies like Coach, Carter, House of Wax, and The Comebacks, while he's played big pivotal roles on TV shows like Meet the Browns, They're Rich and The Ruthless and UPNS one on one, And I thought he stole the movie. He is so good, he's so charismatic, and he lights up the screen. I thought he absolutely stole this film. All the way around.
Speaker 2: When we get into his character had me I like him, I hate him.
Speaker 1: I like that, which was what was so great about it because I think that's how you're supposed to be where he is, Like I'm trying to I'm the cool guy, but I got to be with this guy. But I'm also the athlete. But I thought he absolutely stole the movie. Yes, and then we have a refame very young Kiley Quoco as Eliza Bowers just two years before we should be cast as Bridget Hennessy on the TV show Eight Simple Rules, and seven before she'd become a household name as Penny on the sitcom Hall of Famer The Big Bang Theory, Quoco became one of the most recognizable and highest paid TV stars of the Oughts, and most recently started and produced the cable dramedy The Flight Attendant, and she was the voice of Harley Quinn on HBO's cartoon of the same name. Did you know she was in a dcom? I didn't know she was in d No.
Speaker 2: When she popped up, I'm go, wait, who, because she doesn't look exactly like you can tell as she grew her, like her face kind of transformed a little bit. Not saying anything weird, I'm just saying she grew up out of she matured her baby face into her mature face. So it looks like her, but until she really get into the movie, it's not an obvious I went on IMDb, like Fridaway, I usually for all the producer's stuff, to like check out that. I was like, I had to, I'm like, who is that? And then I went, oh, my gosh, because I love her. Oh love her.
Speaker 1: She is in a very roundabout way, but also in kind of a very direct way responsible for me having my dog Sammy, whoa So my wife follows her on Instagram and she works a lot with Pause for Life, and my wife found Pause for Life through her, and then we found Sammy and Pause for Life. Thank you Kelly for my dog Wow. And then we have Mimmy Paley plays Delia. She was first seen as Little I was gonna say, Little Buffy, It's Little Buffy Summers on Buffy the Vampire Slayer and would later appear on X Files, Malcolm in the Middle, and Entourage and a name I am very familiar with for a strange reason. Matt McCoy plays mister Kevin Thompson. Matt is a staple in TV and movies that you've seen for years and years and years, most notably as the husband in the Hand that Rocks the Cradle and as Lloyd Brawn on Seinfeld. But to me, he will always be the first Alan Matthews on Boy Meets World. He and I never met because there was a different Eric Matthews and a different Alan Matthews when they shot the pilot. He was the original Dad. He worked with the original Eric and what the world could have been if both those characters never change, you just never know how the world's going back. So it never aired that pilot, of course, But he was then replaced by William Russ, who was my dad when we went to series, but Matt was also seen on TV shows like The Nanny, Grace, Underfire, Silicon Valley, and a few late franchise Police Academy movies. He really is a character actor that has been around forever. We also get a small turn from Canadian local Laura Vandervoort as Lauren vander Volt would later become Kara Zorrel or Carrazrel depends on which version you like, or Supergirl for c W Smallville, and Lisa on the sci fi show V but t You and I, she will always be Chelsea in the d com Mom's Got a Date with a Vampire?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: And then we have the actors that play Mayor Maclamore and Kathy Macklamore, the parents of basketball star Todd Maclamore, who were actually married in real life, that is Tim and Daphney Reid. Tim was a WKRP star Awesome, which of course makes some sense when you think about the direc but you might recognize him from Sister Sister or the original IT TV movie, and Daphne was infamously the second Vivian Banks on Fresh Prince of bel Air, which was a controversial replacement for actress Janet Hubert. It is a stacked cast all the way. To me, it really is amazing people that went on to do some great, great things from Ali Cat Strike.
Speaker 2: Absolutely yep.
Speaker 1: Okay, So the movie we always talk about this. It's eighty eight minutes long, two minutes from the target. But as we say, we are on the right side of history when you're shorter rather than longer. Take of that what you will. It was written by Gregory K. Pinkus, whose first replayed was the movie Little Big League, and we've already covered his work as the writer of Quints, a d com that also came out in two thousand. Pinkus seems to be a fan of meta narration from his lead character, since we see this in both Quince and Ali Cat Strike. Do you like it when the characters turn and talk to the camera.
Speaker 2: I I don't know. I do sometimes sometimes it jars me. I love it in now how they I feel like the older versions had a harder time figuring out how to do it right. You jump to modern family and it's like perfect.
Speaker 1: Perfect, right, right, because that's like an actual interview totally.
Speaker 2: But the way it does it sometimes I don't unless it's the way it's going to be throughout the movie when it's just randomly, you know, like in Quins. We saw this in Quinn that was done multiple times but on purpose, on purpose throughout the movie, and I honestly, you know, it's just different. If it's not enough or it's too much, there's like a perfect Goldilocks.
Speaker 1: This breaking of the fourth wall is just right. Yeah. No, I liked it in Quins because it seemed like it was written to be like that. In Quint's this like it was put in as an afterthought.
Speaker 2: Right, like we shot the movie exactly like they shot the movie and went, you know what, that doesn't make sense. We need to kind of do an extra.
Speaker 1: Like it was a network note. The network came back and said, we don't like this cut, maybe explain a little more. Well, we can't. We don't have any more money to shoot. Okay, well you know we're gonna do. We're gonna free frame it. We're just gonna dub in some voiceover. It seemed like kind of an afterthought this time. Yeah. But anyway, let's get in to Ali CAATs Strike and hopefully we won't roll a gutter ball boom. I'm gonna be using a lot of bowlers. We opened, We own gutter Ball. We opened with some big bang swing music, and like so many dcoms before it, we get a tour of a teenager's bedroom, so we know immediately what we're into. In this case, we see bowling pins and an old, smelly, vintage bowling shirt. But it's somehow the two thousands. We get the voiceover we were just talking about from the boy while he gets ready for his day, and it's Alex from West Appleton. He and his friends all dressed up like hipcats and a gag commercial from the time, and walking out of an old fashioned diner taking to the streets. It seems like they've been told by this movie's director to look like they're having the best time of their lives, and it looked like a Mento's commercial. They are laughing and hanging all over each other, and that's when we meet Ken, Eliza and Delia his crew. You noticed this more than I do, but it was so front and center in this movie. What did you think of the wardrobe? Like, are you a vintage clothing fan? You said you said you loved the poodle skirts and stuff going up as a kid. Did you wear it when you're older too. Well.
Speaker 2: I first, when the first part of this movie came, I went, wait, is this are we going to have our first like time period piece?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: Well, I guess maybe Xenons of the Future.
Speaker 1: But we also started in the fifties with the Amy Joe Johnson movie where she dies in the car accident.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, I get but not a that's not that wasn't a d com right.
Speaker 1: That's true. That's true. That's true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I'm going, wait a minute, is this gonna And I got really excited and I went, oh no, it's just these four.
Speaker 1: No, no, just these four, just the four of them looking strange. It's great.
Speaker 2: I would have a love that. I would have love love loved that.
Speaker 1: See, yeah, I like that. We've got Ken who's the music guru if the music is from fifty years ago? Eliza is a fashionista queen of the poodle skirt and Bobby socks. She's also a great bowler and Delia she's the brainiac, but not so good on the lanes. Now this is important because Alex's dad owns a local bowling alley and they go there in the morning to blast swing music and roll a few frames. These kids might just be living absolutely in the wrong decade. We then cut to the school day and we have a big outdoor pep rally for the basketball team, a ton of extras here like we've seen in so many decoms. All of a sudden, I've started to notice things like that when there's you know, more extras, less extras, we're inside, we're outside at all. It's like, Oh, I'm saying where we're shooting and when? Right The star players, Todd mcklamore and he couldn't be further from our dorky little swingers. Todd and his team are vying for the Mighty Apple Trophy regional bragging rights of sorts. If the Wildcats win the upcoming big basketball game against East Appleton, they tie up the fight to claim it forever because the trophy is being retired since the schools are combining. You know, it's funny because we get questions asked of us, And one of the questions one of the producers asked, was is this a thing? And this happened in my town, The same thing happened. There were two elementary schools, Towpath and rowing Brook, and a few years after my class left they combined them into Pine Grove and got rid of both the schools, built a new one and it just became one big school.
Speaker 2: Mind did the opposite a giant high school, and they ended up creating a space. They took over what was I think it was some sort of school, was like a community college or something like that, right built on top of it, created another high school and split the high school in half.
Speaker 1: Which one was the cool one? Which one did people want to go to?
Speaker 2: They started calling the new one. I mean, the new one was brand new. It's gorgeous. It's the one I coach at now.
Speaker 1: A lot of but you didn't go to that one.
Speaker 2: He moved, No, he moved from Esperanza to yor Belinda. It was a big for a long time.
Speaker 1: So you went to busted ass high school.
Speaker 2: It wasn't at the time. It just it sort of became that a little bit for a while because really, yeah, a lot of the head head of the departments and the athletic programs went to the new school. It was where the future seemed like it was going to be of the area. And but now both schools are thriving. So but yeah, opposite, how weird?
Speaker 1: We both have that we both had the opposite thing, so yes, apparently that happened. I also love how this the trophy is awarded for every sport, right because they talk about baseball and basketball, and he played for the tennis team. So this one Apple trophy is for every sport, which I.
Speaker 2: Have a Battle of the Boulevard trophy that used to happen between the two schools that. Oh, so there's like a battle of the Boulevard.
Speaker 1: I think it would have been cool if it was your Belinda and my Belinda, but they didn't do that anyway. The coach steps up, who looks an awful lot likely of Schreiber, takes the podium to hype up his troops, and mac More follows. He wants to see everyone at the game. Our voice over asks, how could Todd, Maclamore and Alex's life ever collide? I just don't see it, And guess what, that's what our movies about. Baby. The bowlers don't plan on attending. They're just gonna bowl. Then some of the basketball team approaches the crew, including Todd, and they gently start bullying our main characters, calling them strange dudes four times in a row, which is kind of strange. Delia fights back by saying she knows math and force and formulas and angles and could probably beat them in horse. I don't believe her, and neither should anyone else. Next thing you know, we're at the big game. It is crowded with a band and cheerleaders and some big game energy. We've got Sweet Glue from WWAP radio. He's calling the plays and West is down by eight points. Maclamore hits an easy layup, and then they mount a comeback with just over a minute left in the first half. This is where we're also introduced to Todd's parents, the town's mayor, Jeff and his mom, who was never actually mentioned by name in the movie, So we're gonna continue to honor the film's inherent sexism by doing the same. Maclamore starts to own the game, scoring the exact same layup two more times, leaving our squad down just six points. Going into the second half, we are back at the bowling alley. We see Alex's dad listening to the game on the radio while Eliza rolls. Delhia works on some calculations, and Alex helps fix the alley, which is apparently falling apart. Empty all the time and close to being sold. We're starting to get a view that this is really a business that is on the decline. Yes, vain holding onto this.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: We also learn here that if the West wins and there's a tie for the trophy, there are tie breaker procedures set up, but since it's never happened before, no one knows what it is. Very cool little plot point to put in there. Keep that in mind. It will come back people. Now we jump right back to the basketball game. West is down by one point with three seconds left. McLamore has one more shot to save the day. In the stands Todd's dad, the West Appleton mayor is talking trash with the mayor of East Appleton and his name is Mayor Hamburger. Mayor Hamburger. Gonna say that again for everybody. He sadly is not part of McDonald's land. He did not beat out Mary McGee's, which would have been awesome. But Mayor Hamburger. Where does his name fall. It's still not Jackal Johnson, no, but Mayor Hamburger. And it's certainly not mister fister.
Speaker 2: But below them, but it's it is okay top ten, I.
Speaker 1: Guess Mayor Hamburger. I mean, come on, so we're at the buzzer now. Todd begs for the ball. Be in double team Todd, give it to somebody else, Give it to somebody else. No, I'm going to win this game. Todd takes the ball and hits a three for the win. We are now all tied up for that weird trophy that's the trophy for everything they do. This throws Alex's dad, who used to play for the team, into an excited fit back at the alley. He wants that trophy to stay in his town. He thinks it's the glue that keeps the community together. But the kids who are bowling do not care at all. They don't know why anybody would care about this. Then we're back with Mayor mcchee, sorry, Mayor Hamburger, and Mayor McLamore, who decides they'll figure out the tiber when they check the rules tomorrow. While Todd is going off to get interviewed by Sweet Lou and the Appleton News, but he seems very uncomfortable with the attention, showing that even though he's the star of everything, he has a side where he's like, I'm he's not a jerk about it, or he doesn't want to be a jerk about it. He might come off as a jerk to other people, but they've layered him in a way where he's like, I don't I don't want to have to be the best at everything. I don't want to go do the interviews like they made him real. And this is where he started to steal the movie from me, which I thought so easily be the two dimensional jerk Disney character. I'm the star of everything and your sports stupid and I'm the best. But they didn't. They already made him a little bit nuanced and layered. I was there for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now we're back at school and the victorious bee ball dudes are invited to cool girl Lauren's party, and she seems a little bit interested in Todd. But things, of course, quickly fall apart when the p informs them that the tiebreaker, which is the only option where both schools have clubs, so the only thing they can use is bowling bowling. How is that the only club both schools have is bowling, Well.
Speaker 2: It seems like they've they're tied in all other clubs, so it's.
Speaker 1: Just but you're making this up as you go along, aren't you. I can tell by your shifty eyes that you're making this up as you're going on.
Speaker 2: Well, because I mean, at least the bowling, because I'm thinking about what clubs they actually have at chess, right, you know, speech and debate could have maybe been a cool thing.
Speaker 1: That's it. You just exhausted the list.
Speaker 2: Yes, I can't. I mean, I just I guess I did just have time to chess would be not a fun movie.
Speaker 1: No, so they had to do something. Did you have a bowling team at your school? We didn't have a bowling team.
Speaker 2: No, I didn't have a bowling team. I think I would have done I did. There was a bowling You could do bowling as a credit in the college I went to. You could do like a bowling class and say something.
Speaker 1: I know I would have done that in tuesdays.
Speaker 2: It was on nights. I couldn't do I remember that. Yeah, because you don't say some type of pe thing anyway, Yes, that makes sense.
Speaker 1: Anyway, bowling. They're bowling now, and Mayor Maclamore is so mad he wants to sue the other school, or at least hold tryouts to find superstars of bowling in the student body, but the team can only include bowlers who had signed up for the bowling club at the beginning of the year. However, West Appleton did win a coin toss for home field advantage, so it'll take place at their local alley. And we all know now where this is headed. The principal meets with our bowling outcasts and they figure out that Todd maclamore was actually signed up for bowling clubs by his friends as a prank, which is the dumbest, weirdest prank ever in the history of the world, because how would he ever know?
Speaker 2: Right, I don't that. The only thing it did in a good way was lead up to the scene where he goes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm on the bowling class that.
Speaker 2: We are prank for a job.
Speaker 1: Weird prank. How would you ever know? But it did keep Todd in the story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I guess it's not a class. He didn't sign up for a class.
Speaker 1: Nobody ever would have known that Todd had signed up, and they would never have told him like three years later after they graduated, like, hey, by the way, man, three years ago, we signed you up for bowling and nothing everything just weird prank. Hinda shoes or something. We'll figure it out at the alley. Though Alex's dad thinks this could mean a financial windfall for his business, Alex not so much. He likes it bowling isn't the next big thing, and apparently enjoys the fact that his dad needs to file for bankruptcy. We also find out that Alex's mom is away taking care of her dad and might just make it back in time for a big match. Keep this in mind, it's very very important. I'm lying. It means nothing to the story, and there was no reason for this in any way, shape orformed to be in there.
Speaker 2: No I why was the mom character there at all? Was she just in and out so they didn't have to explain a divorce or a loss of a parent like what I Also, if you want to mention there, just say, you know necessary.
Speaker 1: You know, kiddo, your mom would love to be here with you, but she's taking care of grandpa. I know, pop, It's no big deal.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 1: That's all you need.
Speaker 2: She doesn't need to actually come in because she doesn't affect his storyline for even slightly. He's not worried about his mom or no.
Speaker 1: Grandpa's fine, he'll he'll hop in here when he needs to. It's really weird. Then we go back to Sweet Lou. He is on the air at WWAP with Todd, who says he's already led the school to victories in basketball, baseball, tennis, football, and track and now I personally think you should be tested for steroids anyway. He doesn't think bowling will be any different. And again, if you are a multi sport athlete, you pick up sports quickly, golf, tennis, whatever it is. Have you ever seen one of the most amazing videos I've ever seen in my entire life is and I know people be like, well, it's kind of similar, but they videoed or they filmed Tony Hawk the first time he ever went snowboarding, and he went with like Sean White, huh, never been on a snowboard in his life, and he was doing flips and tricks and all that stuff. And it's like, yeah, of course because crazy. So that I know people are like, come on, but that track. So you're that good an athlete. You can pick up sports quickly totally. Now it's time for Bowling Club's big practice with the principal Mayor Macklamore and Alex's dad. Watching on, we noticed that Alex's dad and the mayor have assorted history with a big sports mishap from their school days that they don't like to talk about. Alex is very, very good at bowling and Todd is, let's just say not, but he guarantees a one hundred score after some practice, not knowing the perfect game is a three hundred and one hundred actually stinks. He's way behind here, but he's determined to win that apple back at Todd's. His dad is really putting it on the pressure to win. He even calls may Or Hamburger, I can't even say that with a straight face and ups the anti. If the East winds, they'll get forty gallons of West signature applesider, and if East winds, they'll get forty gallons of the West's signature apple cider. If West winds, they'll get forty East Appleton apple pies. This is the biggest stakes in the history of sporting events. Amazing. What kind of cider is I love? I know exact what's in your cider? Bro is the cider to vac him? So curious?
Speaker 2: Forty gallons?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, it's world famous.
Speaker 2: Were you gonna give them too?
Speaker 1: Oh man, it's world famous. We are now at Tony's Lasagna Heaven, a place I want to go that also appears to be a real restaurant in Toronto. Lauren also tells Todd she wants that apple trophy and that's not a euphemism. Believe it or not, Take that as you will. And we're now back at the alley and the practicing it is intensifying, but Todd isn't getting any better. Eliza offers some advice, but he's barely listening to her. He's confident he'll get better and asks Alex if he really gets his clothing from the back of the bowling alley. He says this with the same implied shame he'd use if he asked Alex if he murdered anyone. Alex says, nope, that's a lie. He gets his clothes from a catalog he found at the back of a bowling alley. Maybe they're starting to become friends. They're starting to rib each other a little bit. It's getting better. Also, this is not the only thing that Todd doesn't get. What is happening with the music going on? He's like, what is going on with this swing music. He likes the Backstreet Boys, Savage Garden, and Aerosmith, a grouping of musicians no one kid has ever liked at the same time in the history of the world.
Speaker 2: These two parts same time frame, big big bands of the same type.
Speaker 1: Of course, these two have to get along, though. If they plan on winning and there's only four weeks left, they should have made it longer. They should have given him a month. Alex finally offers Todd some help and his own vintage bowling shirt in hopes that a win could save his dad's alley. So now it's more about saving his dad's alley. He's starting to care about that as well. Todd also offers Alex a deal if he teaches him how to bowl. Again, we're seeing the Disney deal. That's a big thing, the Disney deal. Yes, if he teaches him how to bowl, Todd he'll will bring him to Lauren's party. But Alex, now the hot shot, possible Apple Trophy winner, gets an invite all by himself. Boom. All this as over at East they've recruited a big deal new bowling coach. Oh the East is pulling out all stops. East Appleton that night, Laurence party is going off, and oh my god, okay, so here, No, this to me was great because, first of all, they all look age appropriate. They all look like they're in middle school.
Speaker 2: Yes they do.
Speaker 1: It's great. And this to me so looked like a seventh or eighth grade party. Yes, I mean it brought me right back to Karen de Boor's basement. This the party, so it really, I mean it did it?
Speaker 2: Did it?
Speaker 1: Oh? Man, don't give me. It looked like a seventh or eighth grade party. And for the first time in a while, I was like, Okay, I buy that they're all in middle school totally.
Speaker 2: I think the same thing. And it honestly was just a few scenes before this and this scene that went, you know what, that's when it all came together, going, these kids are really in junior high. They're cute, they're adorable. The things that they're talking about the way they're behaving to each other is so perfect middle school.
Speaker 1: I agree.
Speaker 2: I'm in For the first time, I feel like on a d com thinking these kids actually look this age that they're portraying. They're not, you know, looking twenty two year old.
Speaker 1: Is yeah, remember what was she twenty five when she was doing Yes.
Speaker 2: Sezip with it, Yes, Gotta kick it up, Gotta Kick it Up, twenty five years old playing in middle school.
Speaker 1: These were actually looked like middle schoolers. So yes, I was in. That was great. So that night, Lauren's party is going off, but Alex seems out of place. He doesn't know how to dance to hip hop, so he gets nervous and leaves. But on his ways home he stops at Eliza's, who is nervous she's gonna lose him to the popular kids, another famous Disney trope. The next day, at the alley, Todd is getting better, but he still isn't listening to Alex. Alex's dad is trying to ease the tention to but when Mayor Maclamore walks in, they insult each other over that mysterious past Ooh. The mayor announces it's going to be a four on four match with a possible substitute pinch bowler on the bench. Delia volunteers herself as a sub since she thinks she sucks. He also says the winner will now get a parade, which makes me think the mayor has a serious gambling problem. Why do the stakes keep elevating, Please calm down. Mayor mccheese, yes, Todd, like a real proper athlete, decides to go scout East. Appleton and Alex joins him on their bikes, leaving the old crew in the dust. It's kind of a far drive. I thought it was going to be through like picturesque streets, and the first cut they're on like a highway, so whoa, oh god, there's like cars zipping by them. This is a drive, right.
Speaker 2: I thought it'd be like maybe a mile on a bike.
Speaker 1: Right, which is you know, whoever wherever they're going to build the new school better be in the middle because some a bunch of kids are gonna have to travel. East's bowling alley is clearly nicer, and their players are incredible. They're all all star athletes in matching green jumpsuits, and their new coach is Whipsaw McGraw. The PBA Tour Championship, And do we need to add Whipsaw McGrath to the DCOM Hall of Fame alongside the Mayor.
Speaker 2: I kind of like that better than Mayor Hamburger whipsomgra.
Speaker 1: I just love hearing you say, Mayor Hamburger. That is going to be my new ring tone. A ringtone is still a thing. I don't know how that works. But eventually Alex is caught spying on the East, which I don't know how he got caught because this is hiding in plain sight behind that one plant. Yes, and Todd saves him from getting his ass kicked. They're loosening up a bit, but they're still bickering, and they decide to practice together the next morning. Apparently the kids don't actually go to school anymore, but that's okay. They don't need to. They got to win the Apple Trophy for the It's the one trophe, the handout for every sport, all the time. The next morning, the gang wants to teach Todd quote unquote style, so with a swing music montage in the movie's title song, Ali Cats Strike, they show him how to dance, have fun, and integrate all of this into his bowling.
Speaker 2: Probably one of my favorite scenes.
Speaker 1: It's a good scene scene. It's a good scene.
Speaker 2: This scene. It made me really just kind of go, this movie's cute.
Speaker 1: It is. I like it. I'm in it was fine, but this scene, this scene was good. It's like it's also like, dude, just relax, we're bowling. Yeah, I get it's both. I liked the idea that with. You know, Alex is trying to teach Todd it just relax, we're bowling. Let's have some fun and enjoy it. That's how you get good at bowling. And Todd is trying to teach Alex. Yes, that's great, but you also need to want to win and strive to win. And and it's a good combination of the two characters. Yes, that was fine. It's not a problem. But so that's they're dancing, they're having fun. Uh, and is starting to get it. He thinks that if bowling can be sold with a fun party, including a light show in music, the alley can actually be saved. Alex, of course, isn't convinced, but Delia names the event the Bowling Ball very clever, and everyone is in. Todd uses his winning smile to get free party supplies and convinces Sweet Lu to promote the event, which will include lasers. Apparently they got free lasers too. Alex is a little nervous about the alley changing, but Alex's dad lets his son know he got his real estate license today and he's already drafting up a listing to sell the alley. This is all happening very fast for a new real estate agent who apparently doesn't even need some days in the job to start the profession.
Speaker 2: Also a lot to put on your kid, Like, I don't want to make this about me. However, if you don't win, there's a big chance we're definitely gonna lose it.
Speaker 1: So yeah, right, I'm up to you.
Speaker 2: It's up to win this bowling game.
Speaker 1: Save our family.
Speaker 2: Oh man, I just both parents put a lot of pressure on yes, middle schoolers.
Speaker 1: Yes, as Plus I'd hate for your mom and grandpa to come back to I have no home.
Speaker 2: To have the fate of these of everything. It's just a keeps stacking and we're not even done yet.
Speaker 1: Oh no, we're not even close to the stacking that's going to come. Alex and Todd are now besties and are flying up the school for the bowling ball and the whole school is coming, which would be a good time to reveal to everyone that Todd is really starting to bowl like a pro, even though he can't hit the seven ten split if his life dependent on it. No one can because by the way of course, with all the amazing research done on this show, the producers have told us that the official odds of hitting a seven to ten split are less than one percent, accomplishing it roughly one in one hundred and forty five attempts. So maybe this isn't something you can really perfect. If you want to have fun, though, go down the YouTube rabbit hole and check out some people that have picked it up. It is a very difficult split, and this is exactly why I did not have friends in high school. Everything's coming together. The bowlers are even becoming popular at school, and Alex and Todd appear on Sweet Loes radio show. In all all the fun of promotion, he stands up his original friends at the diner. Oh man, he's making choices new friends and popularity over old friends. Another good Disney trope. Okay, so then his friends come out and they see him at all places Tony's lasagna. Haven't raging with all of the cool kids. Ooh. The next day of bowling practice, Alex isn't knocking down the pins. He's feeling the pressure, and the crew is mad that he ghosted them. But it's the night of the bowling ball and guess what there's lasers, lazers.
Speaker 2: Can you say it like that one more time for lazers?
Speaker 1: Ah? The alley looks great and they ditch the swing music for some rock and roll. The place is packed all night, and Todd bowls with his sunglasses on, but no one knows where Alex is. Another Disney trope. If you want everything to be awesome, change exactly who you are, yes sunglass. Todd takes to the mic and introduces Alex, who's now wearing a cool guy sweater and also sunglasses. He has officially changed into a douche and his dork friends. But after the event, Alex hears Lauren and her friends making fun of him. Once a geek, always a geek. They say, after the Apple Trophy, they won't have to hang out with him anymore. This hurts our little guy, and we hear very sad music. We're now cleaning up inside. Alex AND's dad have a really nice talk about the mighty Apple and how it's making everything different. His dad argues, doesn't have to make Alex any different, which is easy to say for a guy who just made a ton of money as a bowling alley owner. At the next day's practice. Alex is still struggling, but Todd is peaking at two seventeen, which is a darn good score in bowling. Mayor mclamour arrives with new Wildcat uniforms that are read and ugly and don't take into consideration any of the original club members love for a vintage or just bowling in general.
Speaker 2: It was just a T shirt.
Speaker 1: It's a T shirt. Yeah, help us out here.
Speaker 2: I would be disappointed with this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, spend some of that cider money, mayor, right, geez. Also, the Mayor still appears to be gambling. Now, whoever wins gets the naming rights to the new junior Hi. This man really needs to make some calls because it's intervention time.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, the pressure finally gets Alex to snap and quit the team. He walks out, even with the team begging him to stay. Delia pretends to faint, realizing that she now has to bowl herself. Todd goes to Alex's house to apologize. I didn't understand why he apologized, but he goes to Alex's house to apologize and admit he likes bowling and their friendship. Todd says, look, they're just different people. He plays sports because he's good at it, but not because it's fun. He knows Alex loves bowling. If they win, great, If not, who cares, They'll have fun. Todd leaves, but he wants Alex to play at the championship and even got the team new vintage looking bowling shirts. And these are very cool shirts with an awesome logo of a cat on them. I would wear that shirt today. That would be awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Back in the house, Alex's dad reminds Alex that his wife and her dad are coming to the match tomorrow, a detail that everybody, including the director and the other people in this movie, I'm sure forgotten by this point. With his his son's bowling glemon mind, he solves the mystery that has been plaguing us to the entire movie. We don't know what had gone on between the dad and the mayor, and we're about to find out that when he and the mayor were on the West Appleton baseball team together, it was the bottom of the ninth and they messed up a double play. They both think it's the other one's fault, and it caused them to stop being friends. The apple changed them, but it was just them who changed. He says, letting it happen has been the stupidest thing either of them have ever done, and boom, a lesson has been learned, a nice way of saying, your friendship is far more important than this golden apple. It is now the day of the big match, and the alley is full of spectators. The band and cheerleaders and sweetlu himself are there for a junior high bowling match. Let's keep that in mind. But hey, the whole town is online. And then we've been waiting for it. Alex's mom walks in with her dad, who's on crutches. I like to think you hit himself at a motocross race during another dcom, but that doesn't matter. And then they go, hey, it's so good to see you, and then they walk away and we don't ever see them again, and it meant nothing. There was no reason to even hire these actors. What the hell was the point of this? Thank you very much for showing up to our bowling meat.
Speaker 2: We see the mom one more time, and that's it was. So it was pointless and anyway, no, so weird.
Speaker 1: The team is waiting for Alex, but he's not there the Mayor's team up to welcome the fans to the last Mighty Apple event ever and introduce their squads, and just in time, of course, Alex arrives. He's in the alley Cats and ready to roll. We're once again reminded of the substitute option. We're reminded several times of the substitute option, so we can guarantee that this is going to happen at some point. Yes, they did this, there was nothing subtle about And don't forget there's also a chance to substitute. And of course there's the substitution, but don't forget we could also substitute. Like, okay, I get it, there's going to be a substitution. Oh man, And now boom. Our match is underway and both teams are off to a start, hitting strike after strike. This is a very close contest. Everyone has brought their a game. East Appleton leads going into the tenth frame, but West needs three strikes from Alex to stay in the race. Now, three strikes in a row has a name called a turkey, and getting a turkey can be difficult, very difficult. First roll, Alex gets it strike. He then bowls a second strike. He's now in his last ball with his dad and also his mom for some reason watching on and the grandpa we know nothing about who hurt himself for some reason that has nothing to do with the movie. All are watching On as he bowls again, follow the ball down the lane, Boom, strike, three in a row. Everybody cheers, including his parents who again Mom and Grandpa no need to be there, but they are yay. But now the game's on the line and the East needs three strikes and they just cut three strikes together right click, click click, three strikes like they took nine minutes for Alex to do it, and the East High team did it in four seconds. Strikes in a row. What are we going to do? West is now down by nine going into the final frame, and Todd is the anchor. He just needs a strike or a spare to win. He's nervous and his winning attitude is starting to crack. He throws the ball and leaves no the dreaded seven to ten split. He's never hit any of these before. We know this is his weakness. He can't hit this. What are we going to do? They think we're going to lose, And then Delia speaks up the math, Whiz says she can make this shot. The crowd wants Todd, but he knows substituting Delia is their best chance. Hearkening back to the first game where he's like, I need the ball. I'm the only one who can win this. He's a team player. Now. No, he calls the ref over and removes himself. And it was at this point I just wish that they'd let us know that they were allowed to substitute.
Speaker 2: No, I didn't, I was I was what. I was like, wait, what where is that in the rule?
Speaker 1: What what he can substitute? Why didn't somebody repeatedly tell us that. Now his dad, of course, is furious, but Todd stops him and says, sometimes he's not the best, and that's okay, which is great. He sends his dad off to root for the team. He's like, Dad, go root for the team, not just me. Go root for the team. And again I thought this guy stealed the movie. Delia steps up, and, of course, being inside, she checks the wind. Don't ask me why she places the.
Speaker 2: Is that what it was? Condition?
Speaker 1: Okay, So it's the equivalent of doing the local weather for the football game that week when it's played in a dome. Yes, okay, it's gonna rain this week. That's gonna be tough on the team. Really, it's in a dome. That's the same thing, So of course she checks the wind. She places the ball on the floor, sticks one finger inside it, and starts to spin it around. Eventually, she pushes the ball out slowly, similar to how maybe someone will release a wounded duck back into the lake. It takes off down the lane and we're watching for what seems like ours. She smiles in confidence and gets up and just walks away as the it slowly makes its way to the pins, just spinning. The entire alley watches on it. That spins back and forth at a literal snail's pace. Delia doesn't even need to look at it, which I thought was kind of badass. She makes her way back to her team eventually after a very long time. At a comically long wait, the ball's about to hit the pins, but the voiceover freezes the action. It is, of course Alex again, and he admits that while he bowls for fun, in the end, he really wanted to win the trophy. And guess what he did. She hits the seven to ten split and West Appleton takes home the trophy once again without ever explaining how she could be substituted into the game. But most importantly, bowling is still fun according to his grandfather, who leaves without saying anything to him. Alex and Todd are congratulated by their parents, and Todd says the team shouldn't have to name the school. No city should have to lose their identity, so they all decide to pick Appleton Central Junior High. The mayors agree, probably both more afraid of their bookiy problems than naming the stuff. Anyway, we end the movie and the whole alley is swing dancing bowling and they're buying in the style, which actually includes Alex's sick grandpa pool queueing a bowling ball down the lane with his crutch. Alex suggests any beef can be settled in the alley, and there's your movie.
Speaker 2: Boom Man, my cheets are whoo.
Speaker 1: Oh what a game?
Speaker 2: What a game?
Speaker 1: With a match people? Oh Man had me on the edge of my seat. Now can I ask, since we got there, unless you're gonna do it in Sabrina Seas, what made you watching the last scene remind you that you knew this movie.
Speaker 2: The Spinning of the Ball. And I remember being younger, I mean not I wasn't in junior high at that time, but being in you know, probably a freshman sophomore and going to a bowling alley and someone going, we've got to try this. I've gotten the and it being like a thing that you tried the spin. It never worked. It never like talk about snail pace.
Speaker 1: It never come down, of course not. But she knew it. She had the physics so many times.
Speaker 2: The employees at some point were like, all right, you guys, you need to stop. It's not gonna work. You stop having us because they had to come out. You know, you can't go down the sides and push the ball.
Speaker 1: They have to come out. If you want to see one of the most amazing videos, and a couple people have done it now. It's it's a guy who he so he's adding a lane and he bowls a regular ball and as the ball goes down the lane, he then slowly spins the second one. Have you seen this? No? So the first ball then, so, now there's two balls in the lane, one going fast, one going slow. The first ball hits the pins explodes them for a strike while the other ball is still slowly moving. The whole pin thing comes down, clears the ally, resets all the pins, puts a new one on right as the second ball hits, and hits the second strike right in the round. Wow, it it's really cool. You should check that out. We're not gonna do some real reviews and Sabrina, you got the five star review this week. Can you read us? Can you read us? What's happening here?
Speaker 2: This five stars from Jerry M loved this movie. I will never forget the ending scene when the nerdy girl got both of the pins down and won it for her team.
Speaker 1: Same well said.
Speaker 2: And I really realized I've seen this.
Speaker 1: I have seen I have lived this movie before, is what Sabrina is like. I have lived this.
Speaker 2: It looks familiar, but I didn't remember anything at all. And then, oh my gosh, it's actually a big like younger memory for me, like a core memory, unlocked, unlocked where it came from. Well, that's where it started.
Speaker 1: I guess I have the one star and it is by our favorite one star, our favorite comment or named uhmous back it's unnamed, of course. The one star review says, I guess this movie didn't aim to accurately portray the sport of bowling, but this could have done a lot of good for the declining sport if they had shown that bowling takes a lot of finesse and skill and endurance and consistency. Instead, all talks about is modernizing and making it quote unquote fun. Putting laser lights and fog machines in loud music undermines the integrity of quote unquote real bowling. I sure wouldn't go there. I think you're reading a little too much into it in nomed I really do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so too.
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 2: But at the same time, we did kind of feel like we wish we had seen more training.
Speaker 1: Yes see, I'm always down for training, But again, I am the person who does not like when they just pick up the instruments and know the song to keep you got it.
Speaker 2: Rehearsal absolutely pussed just over the nineteen minute mark, which is not something we are here for.
Speaker 1: No, we're good, We're good. We'll take that. We'll take it. We'll take it. We'll take the trade off. We'll take the trade off. We've got our favorite. Sabrina's favorite of our podcast. Now, our feature Hang four is back people, the game that originated with Beach Movie and came back for motocross is ready for an ally cat strike. Addition, to remind us of the rules, we'll get four terms associated with a sport, this time with bowling and according to bowling dot com, and we have to guess what they stand for. From a list of multiple choice options, three out of five wins.
Speaker 2: Here we go.
Speaker 1: Number one. Again, none of us know what this is. We haven't looked, so here we go. Number one. Cherry is cherry A when a ball is thrown so perfectly it's an instant strike on contact B to knock down the front pin or pins. See a red mark on your thumb you get from long bowling sessions or d the best snack to eat before a match. Ooh, I'm gonna say a.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say a. Two. There is because there is a way there. I mean, I'm not I'm not a professional bowler, but it does seem like you can hear by the sound and certain well it's.
Speaker 1: Called I know that's called hitting the pocket because there's a pocket between the headpin and the two pins behind it that you want to hit that's a strike that's called hitting the pocket. But never heard of cherry. But I'm thinking like, ooh, something's cherry, So I'm gonna say it's something with perfect involved with it.
Speaker 2: A yes, A for me as well.
Speaker 1: It's b ah to knock down the front pin or pins. Yikes, Oh damn damn it. Number two hambone? Is this A the name given to a player who show boats too much? B A seven four split, C four consecutive strikes or D the best snack to eat before a match. Going with B, you're gonna go with B. I'm gonna go with C four consect because turkey is three, so it makes sense that it would also be a food product. So I'm gonna say four is hambone. So I'm gonna say you're gonna go B. I'm gonna go see will is correct? Guy?
Speaker 2: It is C four. I've never heard of it. I've never heard that they had like that was the thing for strikes.
Speaker 1: Get it possible, because you guys have never had four in a row and I've never had I've never done a hanmdbone. I don't think I've done a turkey. No.
Speaker 2: I feel like Jordan has and I haven't seen you know how they'd have a turkey come up on the screen. Yeah, they always have never seen a ham bone.
Speaker 1: By the way, I'd like to like to point out, I've never seen Jordan. I don't know Jordans. I don't believe Jordan exists. And now he's this amazing athlete too, is great at everything. I don't buy it. I think you're making him up as we go along. And that's just the way it is, hid all right? Number three goodtingly good at my wife's like that Number three? Sour apple? Is it a a five seven ten split B A pin that refuses to fall? See the worst player on a team of four or d the best snack to eat before a match? One of these has to be the best nott would be.
Speaker 2: The sour apple? Would be me? Who is the worst at.
Speaker 1: All these worst at all these games? That's a that's a no. That's also the girl who just sits in a party. What's wrong, Becky? Nothing, that's the sour apple? Okay, what do you got?
Speaker 2: I think I'm gonna keep trying to go. If I hit one of these number ones, go for a five seven ten.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say it's b A pin that refuses to fall.
Speaker 2: That's probably what it is, actually, but she's tied it up.
Speaker 3: Guys.
Speaker 1: It was a wo wow, one and one.
Speaker 2: Nice. I had to get a number one. Yeah, like, you just keep shooting.
Speaker 1: That way, you'll get it. Number four. A shleefer s C S C H L E I F E R. I think it's a shleefer is a strike where the pins appear to fall one by one, I think is what that means. B the air blower used for sweaty hands, commonly found on the ball returner CE four consecutive spares, or D the last name of the lawyer for the Professional Buller's Association.
Speaker 2: Of the Lawyer.
Speaker 1: There's only one exactly. Oh, it's either gonna be It's either it could be.
Speaker 2: The air blower. That's what I'm thinking, the air blower. I think it could be that one.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say, I'm gonna I'm gonna go with you. We're ride or die on this. I think it's the air blower used to sweaty hands. I'm so wildly proud that that is a fake answer and real it sounded is really it's one of my best pieces of work.
Speaker 2: I know, because the name of that thing.
Speaker 1: Is it just called an air just a blower? Yeah, the blower because it is such a slave, the sleeper.
Speaker 2: And they did it in the movie too, they did a couple of them did.
Speaker 1: By the way, for the record, it is now officially known as a sleeper. I'm just waiting, what is it?
Speaker 2: Thought?
Speaker 1: The pins appear to fall one by one? Okay, okay, and last, but notn't wait.
Speaker 2: When that happens next time. I'm wow, I'm going to walk back. Go oh, those damn sleeper.
Speaker 1: Such a shleefer. I'm trying to hit a handbone, but not with that shleefer. All right, so our final we've lost, but our final, damn it is a clean sheet? Is that a a scorecard before a game starts? Be a scorecard for a perfect game? See a scorecard where every spare was made? Or do a scorecard without any nacho cheese on it. I so want it to be d but I'm thinking it's going to be a scorecard for a perfect game because it's just exits all the way across.
Speaker 2: Right boom boom boom boom.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, you guys are apparently golfers. This is a c This is what every spare is picked up. This is why I fail.
Speaker 2: Why would they have a term for that?
Speaker 1: I don't know what? What? What do you?
Speaker 2: Did you look up at all what a perfect Game card would be called?
Speaker 1: I just called the perfect Game really sorry.
Speaker 2: I didn't do any of that.
Speaker 1: I just I picked the ones I know you'll get wrong. They actually call it a chatting with you, Jensen. They call it a for Dell. It's all, oh man, Well, can we do some Sabrina ceas please?
Speaker 2: Yes? And there's a couple I can't believe we didn't actually get to within our stuff, but there is obviously so much bullying to talk about. This is now the third time we have had the wild Cats, which is right musical, yes, third time, and they're red and white too, which I just, I mean, this is Disney's favorite, like mascot.
Speaker 1: I wonder why where it came from.
Speaker 2: I know, I don't know if it was originally from somewhere, like if that's what was in high school musical the high school they used or what. But this is the third time, so I just that has to be set. Agree.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Also, did you notice I felt like almost every single time they were outside the VEO was so apparent.
Speaker 1: All of this was bad in this movie. I had to put on the subtitles. First of all, the music was too loud, and then they dubbed all the outdoor stuff.
Speaker 2: All the out agreed, even some that were indoors were dubbed, but a lot of the outdoor stuff was dubbed.
Speaker 3: And then.
Speaker 2: There was there was one guy that was so hyped when they it just kind of made me giggle when they go when they show the team, we know it's not the characters haven't seen the team, but we see the team for the first time, the first bowling team, and the guy gets to strike and he's like like he go crazy, and I just like I had to just giggle and write it down because I thought it was so funny and over the top. And then my last one with the movie was they called our girl Kaylee Kaylee, Right, yeah, Okay, they call our girl Kaylee. Her character the queen of poodle skirts and bob socks, and she does not wear one poodle skirt her parapot sock in the whole movie. I was waiting for it because I thought her attire was super cute and very on her character, but they actually say what she wears all the time and never wore it once. And then the last one was the guy that stole the show every ting fule time. I'm looking at him, going, what's the I knew coach Carter, but I'm like, why do I feel like I've worked with him before? What did I work with him before? What did And then it popped up and it's a it's a dance job I did so long ago. I was little, like I was probably in junior high at the time. He was in a show called Cousin Skee or Cousin Skeeter. I was in the open the very first season, the opening credits of it as a dancer, and I'm wearing all silver and those those like getting jiggy with google headbands and so I went on and you can't really see me with the one I am, But so I was like, I've got a show. Lisa would love something like that, you know, like, we.
Speaker 1: Can't see you.
Speaker 2: You can't really because my hair is brown. You wouldn't really recognize me. They pop in and out. I was like a background dancer. But I do remember meeting him, him being such a sweet guy, and you know what I mean. But it was funny because I'm going. I know I've worked with them somewhere, but where are we trying to know? That Randy background dancer of his fir his show's opening credits.
Speaker 1: That's all I got for today. Oh I love that. Well. Now we are to the point of our film where we have to rate it, and we are rating, of course, one out of ten, one being the worst, ten being the best. Here we go this week's options. We've got one out of ten old smelly vintage brown shirts, one out of ten, coach Leev Schreibers one out of ten West Appleton Applesiders and East Appleton apple Pies one out of ten, Mayor Hamburgers one out of ten, Tony's Lasagna Heavens one out of ten, gambling problems one out of ten, nameless mayor wives, one out of ten, Lasers Lazers, one out of ten very fast working real estate agents, or one out of ten slow moving balls. What would you like? Is that your pick? It sounds like it seems like that's your pick, Sabrina.
Speaker 2: That's why we could go.
Speaker 1: Okay, we're gonna do one out of ten slow moving balls, and I think you went first last time.
Speaker 2: I did, so I will not sway me with my story, and I will just say that you shouldn't.
Speaker 1: So my here's look, it was fine. That's how I look at this movie. It was fine. There were there was nothing super special about it, but there's nothing awful about it. The acting was good, The story was muddled and a little bit messy. The one you know, the idea that it's one trophy, and it seemed like it was shoehorning in a bunch of things. We're gonna do bowling, we're gonna do swing dancing, we're gonna do vintage clothing. Again. I am going to I did not hate it. I watched the movie. It was a movie I'm gonna forget. I saw this movie a month from now. That's why, to me, this is a perfect five slow moving balls to me again, not a great movie, not a bad movie. And anyway, it's not like this was the worst movie I've ever seen, not at all. It just kind of I'll even go five point five. This is a five point five. This nudging a six only because the young performers were so good. Yea. The acting was great, it really was. This was a solid cast all the way around. So between five point five and six slow moving Balls is what I'm gonna give this movie, Sabrina.
Speaker 2: I I like you said, I was in again this movie did because I was a kid that came home and watched these d coms. This was the time that I was watching them. And again there were bigger ones like Drink and but there were other ones that were coming on on the other weekend the months that that those big ones weren't. So I still have a big appreciation because these were the kinds of movies I loved watching and I took it for what it was. I do think it was way earlier. It doesn't seem like Disney has honed in exactly what a d com is at this point. The music was a little off for me. Some of it was kind of not the best, but I really liked it. I loved again watching this cast and how they're adorable and good they were and knowing where they all took their careers was just awesome for me. I just feel like that was like the dream back in the day. So I was really stuck in nostalgia on this one. And I'm gonna give it a seven point five. Oh wow, So moving Balls, I know, I mean, I see what you're saying with the other things. But at the same time this it swept me back into nostalgia with the swing dancing.
Speaker 1: I love bowling crazy, I.
Speaker 2: Love a Kyle, I mean, I love the rest of the cast. And you know that that that's my seven point five.
Speaker 1: There you go, Well, a well earned seven point five from Sabrina. Well, thank you so much for joining us. Our next movie is going to be Stuck in the Suburbs, a boy band pop star life trading comedy from two thousand and four that apparently delivers some impressive frosted tips to check that out. And this week we are finding our way back to Zombies. We sat down with Meg Donnelly, the star of the massive Disney franchise, prepping for a new sequel soon. We were so honored to get her to call on the show. Really really cool royalty. So let's hear a little snippet of what you're in for.
Speaker 2: What was your actual audition process for this amazing movie that you ended up being the star of.
Speaker 3: When I was like, I had just turned sixteen and I was auditioning, and I said it like a self tape first, and then there was just a bunch of like chemistry. So like you go in person and it was a bunch of Addison's and a bunch of Z's, like all reading together, and we're all being mixed and matched and in like the waiting room, Milo and I even if we were matched up with other people, like, we were just talking to each other the entire time, and so I think they kind of saw that and then they paired us up together, and then from then on we were kind of like always paired.
Speaker 1: That is gonna be a big one, everybody, So remember to subscribe to our feed. You just search for Magical Rewind wherever you get your podcasts and subscribe and follow along, and you can follow us at Magical Rewind Pod on the Instagram Machine. Bye everybody, Bye,