Speaker 1: Blum, great guy, Houston, Astros broadcaster, just a good person, fourteen year MLB veteran World Series champion, and nice enough to be with us on foul Territory today. Blum, I tell you what every year that I try to say, the Astros are in some sort of rebuild or reboot or whatever the heck you want to call it. Here they are battling, jocking for position again atop the Al West. What has been your biggest takeaway of what this team has accomplished this year with a lot of missing pieces, a lot of injuries, and just a lot of unknown and welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: Good to be on the show. I always appreciate the opportunity seeing some friendly faces. And I'm glad I got the memo about the backwards hat, so I'm ready to go. But you know, the old saying, or I guess it's a new old saying, is the Astros are inevitable, and this year is truly a tale of organizational depth and maybe a little bit of culture involved, because, like you said, a lot of teams around the league have dealt with a lot of injury, and not just injuries that are going to keep guys out on a fifteen day il and they'll be back and mix right in. These have been catastrophic injuries that these teams have had to try and fix and replace and continue, and the Astros have done a very good job. I know that every year we start out the season with prospect lists and who has the best minor league system, and the Astros are continually at the bottom. Yet this season they have filled their rotation with a couple of rookies. You know, throughout the course of the season. They're going to ride a guide tonight in Jason Alexander here in Houston for another start, who's been brilliant for the Astros with his fastball, change up mix. The other day, we just saw a guy named Zach Cole who was number eighteen in the organization as far as prospects, and he pops a home run on the first pitch hecs. So I think it's just a credit to you know, the ability to draft, but also the ability to develop. I don't think a lot of these minor league coaches these days get enough attention or enough love because they're kind of, you know, tucked underneath the every organization. But if they have a huge impact on what these guys do at the big league level, and the Astros fortunately have created this dynamic where if you get to the big leagues, the expectation is you're gonna mix into this clubhouse, and if you're helping us win, you're gonna stick. If you're if you're not stirring the pot the right way, we're gonna get ready and find somebody else. But they've been very fortunate with some of the guys they've called up.
Speaker 3: All Right, well, who's gonna step in for the holes that they're currently missing?
Speaker 4: Because now it's not cutting time.
Speaker 3: I get it, like, you can't win because you won the last seven Like this last seven years doesn't have anything to do with this last two weeks of this season. Do they have enough to step in for the Josh Hater hole to step in for the fact that they don't have an Alex Bragman who has been that winning clutch player. I know Correa is back, but do they have enough to win a division or do they not even need to win the division because we're not gonna talk about the wild card yet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's an itch question. Basically, do they have enough to get in the playoffs? And I think they do, and you brought up some key names, are I no losing Bragman is a big piece and obviously he's enhanced with the Boston Red Sox have been able to do both internally and on the field. You know, he's a great mind, sees the game a little bit differently. And then you mentioned Carlos Kore. He's kind of come in and really kind of filled that void of what the Astros are missing as far as leadership in the vocal sense. He will pull guys off the side and say, hey we need more of this, or hey, you did a great job. Continue to do that. They've got jord On Alvarez who's kind of the silent, you spoken guy that can go into that lineup and do some damage. You can follow his lead a little bit. Jeremy Paine has turned into a force on offense. So they've got some key pieces and key situations to be able to go out there and compete. For me down the stretch, it's going to be the Astros offense. I think they do have enough pitching. Oh, the starting pitching has done a great job. They're top ten as far as team era. They get a ton of swing and miss still even with Josh had or not the back end of that bullpen. So for me, it's going to be on the offense. Their record is something astonishing around eighty five percent when you know probability when they score four runs, So that's kind of the threshold I feel they need to get to. But I'm with you in the sense that when Josh Hader went down, not just with the shoulder injury, but with something that was going to keep him out the entire regular season, I had a little trepidation in the thought that he wasn't going to be at the back end of that bullpen because Brian Abrad, who has been such a phenomenal setup guy, and Brian King Steven Okert were great matchup guys getting to the back end of the bullpen. Now you're forcing some of these guys who aren't usually leverage guys into situations where you're gonna almost force Josh Miller and Joe A. Spotted to be very creative on what pockets they work those guys into.
Speaker 5: Wellmer, I know you're talking offense, but who's pitching. Alexander's pitching tonight, and then who it's TBD, So you're talking about all this great pitching.
Speaker 4: Who's pitching?
Speaker 5: Because the Rangers lined up their three best really, but the Valdi out, I mean they went They're going lighter, Merril, Kelly and for the last one, and then you got it Seattle coming in. So what is who's pitching? You keep talking about offense, but who's gonna pitch the next couple of games?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's gonna be a problem the next couple of days. It Maybe you can almost get the sense that the Astros fear the Seattle Mariners more than they fear the Texas Rangers. I know that the Rangers are leading this series, I believe six to four, but the run differential, I think is at a flat line zero. They've scored as many as they've given up. Dolas Garcia is coming back. We still haven't seen Simmy and Seeger and credit to the Rangers for finding guys like Hellman and Freeman, some of these other guys. Josh Smith doing a got good job stepping in and scoring runs. They're getting timely hitting at the right time. But who's gonna stop them? Jason Alexander hasn't faced him yet. He's been very good after losses for the Astros, amazingly enough. And he's pretty predictable as far as he's gonna come at you with a two seamed fastball and a change up. He's not afraid to throw it to righty's or lefties. So it's gonna be up to the Rangers to adjust to that quickly. But like you said, once you get past that, is it going to be a bullpen day on that last day? Is it going to be a guy like aj Bluebaugh who's looked brilliant in the last maybe four or five outings coming out of the bullpen. He's gone one inning, he's got two innings, he's gotten four innings at a time. He's a guy that's kind of been lengthened out a little bit or do they piggyback, And it's really it's kind of a tough spot when you're going down the stretch trying to, you know, get back into the American League West Division lead. But they really saved up their big dogs in Hunter Brown and Frober Valdez for the Seattle Mariners. You're right, Blimmer.
Speaker 1: I mean, I know it sounds a little bit obvious, but if the Astros sweep the series, they go at five games, If the Astros get swept, they fall behind the Rangers by one game. I mean, is this let's circle this thing? I mean, what are the conversations going on in the dugout in the clubhouse. I know everyone says one game at a time, blah blah blah. This is not one game at a time, my friend.
Speaker 2: This is big. It's huge, and it's kind of crazy to think that everything comes down to this home stand for the Astros, where they've played very well. You know, the Seattle Mariners pitching rotation has been roughed up on the road. You kind of hope these trends kind of continue themselves. But I'm with you in the sense that you kind of throw everything out the window because they're five and five against the Mariners throughout the course of the season. So this goes big in a head to head matchup if they both be if they're both the three and six seeds, who's going to host that Wildcard Division series potentially? And then you have the Texas Rangers who are just trying to fight their way into this postseason and this is a huge series for them. They lead the Astros six to four overall coming into this series, but It's still amazing to me that we can play one hundred and sixty two game schedule and we're set to play game one fifty one to one fifty seven, and it's all basically going to come down this these next six games for all three of these teams to see who wins the West and who potentially becomes that wildcard, because the Astros are that third wildcard, and I think the reality is kind of set in a little bit. It will be interesting to get to the ballpark today and see the reaction of these guys and see the intensity of the pregame workout as they get ready for this series against the Rangers. But yeah, they can sit there and say, and you know, there's three of us that on this broadcast that have been in that dugout in playoff contending type situations where you say all the right things to the public, but internally, you know, you can feel that here on the back of your neck kind of jump a little bit, or you can feel that twitchiness a little bit. But I'm sure that's going on in the Astros dugout because everything is very real for the next six games.
Speaker 6: Crats, I'm gonna still aligne right from the top Here about me Undies a cut for every butt. I took a line that I feel like you would enjoy, but then you stole my thunder with show and tell.
Speaker 3: What do you have there besides a huge Baduka dunk. This is my pair of me Undies that I got. I'm not going to show you the other pair right now because I got them on, but it doesn't even feel like you have them on. Super soft, flexible and yet holding everything together.
Speaker 6: I love the twenty different styles, one hundred different colors and prints, and the micro modal fabric is what you're talking about. Breathable, stretchy, unbelievably cozy and right now, as a listener of FT, you can get cozy and spooky for less with deals up to fifty percent off at me undies dot com, slash foul and enter promo code foul. That's me undies dot Com slash foul, promo code foul for up to fifty percent off me Undie's Comfort that's made for fall.
Speaker 5: By the way, I gotta go back. So how important is it for the Astros to have home field? Because all I've heard from about the last five years is we can't hit in Houston. The batter's eye sucks and this and that. So now all of a sudden you love Houston. Like wait, I thought everyone, all the Astros guys hated playing there.
Speaker 4: Now they love it.
Speaker 5: Wait, cleared up for me, please, Blummer, I wish I could. They fixed They fixed the they fixed the batters either. They painted like that little section right, so now it's better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they keep creeping over. Eventually that entire section is going to be green. But they keep, you know, pushing that Budweiser's signe out of the way. Yeah, they keep expanding that, trying to compete with you know, there are issues with the batter's eye. You know, the lights are a little bit lower in Dyke and Park. The sound is incredibly loud, which favors them. I think they enjoy the fan base that shows out for them a year after year after year. So there is some pleasure in playing at home knowing that you've got the fan base behind you. But there are certain things that you've got to overcome when you come into Dyke and Park. I know a lot of guys adjust by going out early, taking batting practice. But at the same time, the Astros have been very good on the road too, considering how some of the other teams have played. The Astros are actually a game or two, I believe over five hundred on the road. But in theory, playing at home is always better. But I'm not sure that you know that carries a lot of weight because I think, and this is literally just off the top of my head, because since the All Star Break, I think at home the Astros have been sub five hundred, and I think they've been outscored at home, So I'm not sure that that's a paramount idea. But at the same time, if you failish a season playing six games seven days on the road, and then you've got to travel to Seattle, play on the road, try and win that series, and then eventually end up on the road again, it kind of piles up a little bit. But I think these two teams are probably just trying to find their way into the playoffs and worry about the home field advantage later.
Speaker 3: What do you believe in the hypothetical that Escoc Paradis does return, Because if he's hitting and saying there's a chance he could play, he could DH at the end of this week Saturday Sunday, ish, he's got a DH at a slower level. Then you got to put your don and left and put out two bight back at second, which even trying to not do.
Speaker 2: Though. That's one of the craziest things because when Esac went on the injured list, everybody kind of dropped their shoulders a little bit and said, man, believe it or not, they felt like they lost one of their best hitters in the lineup. And there were plenty of game where Esoc Paradis was in the lineup, a pitcher was getting knocked out of the game and the fourth or fifth inning with one hundred pitches and you look at the line and Esock had seen literally a third of the pitches for the team. And that's what he kind of brings to this ball club, is that patience, the zone control everything that you know, these modern day hitting coaches like to hear he could pop a couple into left field through the Crawford box. I think he's perfected that that ninety eight mile an hour swing with the you know, the perfect launch angle to get at three hundred and seventy feet into the Crawford boxes. But his ability to lengthen out at bats protects guys like Altuve who can go out there and swing at the first pitch and you don't panic because Esoch just saw nine pitches. It allows Jeremy Paine, you to lead off a game and swing at the first fastball he sees because he wants to be aggressive on the heater early because you know it behind him, you're going to see Esock seeing nine pitches. So it kind of lengthen lengthens out the lineup in that sense. So he's a nice addition to lineup. But you're exactly right about what it does defensively for Joe Aspota, is it forces his hand to put you know, Jordan Alvarez out in left field at home preferle with Hunter Brown or fromber Valdez on the mound because those are heavy ground ball type pitchers.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: But then you have to put Josel Tuva at second base, and you've got to run the risk of you know, him being out there with a heavy ground ball percentage that guy on the mound. So you're gonna have to manipulate that line up a little bit. I know that once he gets here to Dyke and Park, you know, talking to Tony Paris Chica, who's a third base coach and infield guy. He is going to be working him out at third base, he's gonna be working him out at second base, and believe or not, he's going to be working him out at first base in certain situations. So they're trying to create the versatility. But I'm with you. I mean, that was a pretty pretty heavy strain on the hamstring, and it's a lot to ask him to go play defense.
Speaker 3: He's like the Max Muntcy of the Astros. Max comes back, they start hitting, you get That's that's a big, big piece. All right, last question for me, and I'm going to give you two options. So you can't pick the third better chance of the Astros missing the playoffs or winning the division?
Speaker 2: Oh man, you had to go top to bottom, didn't you saying that they can win it? Just this American League West? For me, having watched it all season long, does it's it's not that good. I don't think it's the best division in baseball. I don't think it's the best division in the American League. I still think it's up there for the taking. I'm a little concerned about the Seattle Mariners pitching on the road. Their numbers haven't been very good, especially in that last road trip where the Astros kind of tried to create a little separation. But I think that there's there's more likely a chance the Astros actually pull it off in and sneak in as the division winner.
Speaker 1: I'd be shocked if the Houston Astros missed the postseason. I mean, that's that just doesn't happen. Let me ask you, that.
Speaker 2: Would cause heart palpitations. To be honest with you, I'm with you. That wouldycheck. I'm getting a paycheck from him, and I've got a cheer for him. But yeah, it would cause some serious palpitations.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree with you, and that would just send shockwaves throughout the baseball landscape. Let me ask you one quick question again, Blummer, about Josh Hater when he's not on your team. He's the guy that seems like he's easy to hate, but I don't think we give him enough love with what he does in the community. The Roberto Clemente Award nominee, I don't know that there's an award in baseball that is more of an honor to get than the Roberto Clemente Award. He is the Houston Astros nominee. Tell me what he does in the community, what he means to this club.
Speaker 2: I think it's great that these guys actually get recognized, especially around the league, because you know, we follow our team specifically and we have an idea of what's going on. But for them to get recognized nationally through Major League Baseball with this great award in honor for Roberto Clementia and all of the charity and efforts that he put into it, I think it's great that these guys get the notoriety and Josh Hater, you know, it's I didn't find out what he was doing in San Diego and some of the other teams he was with until he became an Astro and started doing it in the community here with the with the Astros, he's got a great firm foundation on with his feet on the ground in the community. And I think as soon as he signed that contract, he started a foundation here has been working with I believe it's Covenant House, doing a great job helping out families and underprivileged kids. And you know, uh, some of the some of the abuse that goes on in some of these families, and he's protecting these kids. He's protecting these families he has done phenomenal work. And throughout the course of the season when he was playing, he was having you know, galas wine dinners. He was recruiting people and funding and doing a lot of things behind the scenes. And now since he's been on the injured list, it he hasn't hesitated a bit. He's actually probably continued to work a little bit harder behind the scenes. But he's a phenomenal dude. If you get a chance to know Josh Hater, get a chance to know him because he assaulted the Earth and he's got an electric left arm.
Speaker 4: Wellummer, before you go, There's two things I gotta say.
Speaker 5: One, the Astros will make the playoffs because we Fox has the American League and there would not be a playoffs without me doing. The Astros in the DS. So I will be in Houston one way or the other. They'll be in the They'll be in the Alds. Just it's just how it works. It's like it's inevitable. It's like one of those things that just happened. Even in the one year during COVID the Braves and the Marlin's played in Houston.
Speaker 4: I'm like, we have the National League.
Speaker 5: I'm still going to Houston. So I'll be in Houston. Don't worry, They'll be there. Maybe you'll come say hi. Probably not, because you never come around when the Astros are in town.
Speaker 4: I get at your time off. But before I'll let you go, I got you. I know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I know you have the h Town sure, and you're paid by the Astros. But is there even like a little bit of love for the White Sox in your heart? I mean, it is the one team you did win with, and you did hit a big home run against the Astros in minute made the one swing you got was that one home run?
Speaker 2: Dude, you know as well as I do. Did I have a certain loyalty, and granted it, it may have a little bit to do with the paycheck. I spent a majority of my career with the Houston Astros, and what a lot of Astro fans don't know is that that home run with the White Sox was payback for trading me to Tampa Bay and maybe you put up the Blue Panela for a full season. So that that being said, yes, I cheer for the Astros and I'm glad they're on this run that they're on, But there will never, ever, there will be nothing that is able to pull that chunk of my White Sox heart out of me. Because of the time that we spent together and the time that we actually put that team together, which was a special time. Winning that World Series will never leave me. I mean, if we were able to zoom in on some of this stuff behind me. I forced, you know, I forced White Sox paraphernalia into this. My daughters still have their jerseys. So there is a very special place in my heart. It's just unfortunate that I can't let it out as often as maybe as I want to. But there's two questions I get having worked for the Astros now having done that to them in that five World Series is like, how did you endear yourself to the fans? And I say, it's a lot of work, and obviously the Astros winning changes things. The other one is what kind of guy is AJ.
Speaker 5: Like, that's fine, that's fine, but do you remember if you have any re memory of what you said after you hit the home run? Do you have any do you remember this? I've never really asked you this. Do you remember what you said to me? Because remember in Houston they always played the Bees and you were a killer bee for a while. Do you remember what you said to me after you hit the home run? You probably don't because you were so excited.
Speaker 2: I was so excited. But I have a feeling it has something to do with the spread, because I was starving by the end of it.
Speaker 5: No, you actually said, can they stop playing that buzzing sound now because a killer Bee just stung them?
Speaker 4: Or it was something like that, and I was like, oh.
Speaker 5: I was like yes, because all they did during between every bat when bagwell beez oh blum came up.
Speaker 4: It was BZ.
Speaker 2: I was like, do you remember what you did to my locker the day we showed up? So we get it. We get in there for the workout, and I don't know how you found it, but they had these uh placards, like they had these big they were not big posters, but they were post almost poster sized, and they had the Killer Bees World series zero five and all this, and you you plastered my locker with them.
Speaker 5: You were a killer be We didn't know what side you were on until you took that you were on.
Speaker 4: We were debating.
Speaker 5: We had a long talk with Ozzie about whether you should have been on the roster.
Speaker 4: Kenny and Ozzy and Ill.
Speaker 5: We had a long talking like you know, where's where's his loyalties at?
Speaker 2: I think we found out.
Speaker 4: Yes we did. Thank you, thank you, Thank god I was on your side.
Speaker 1: I love the conversations and that's why we love having former players on it too. The Killer Bees bagwell Bigio Berkman, Blummer, there you have it, those are the Killer Bees.
Speaker 4: We appreciate you.
Speaker 5: We appreciate you.
Speaker 1: Blummer, good luck. You can follow Jeff, of course everything all astros going on on X if you will. What are you, Blummer? You're at Blummer forty Wait, hang on, let me find it. Blumber twenty seven, at Blumber twenty seven. All right, Jeff, good luck to the askers. There's no way they're not making the postseason. We appreciate you, my friend. Thanks thanks for being with us on Foult Territory coming up next, much more better than box scores.
Speaker 4: We'll be right back