Speaker 1: Welcome to Talking Politics.
Speaker 2: I'm your host Sessi Cupp, and we have a stellar guest for you today. That's a hint. Really excited to have them on. We're old friends. That's all you get to know for now. But before that, well, let's talk about what happened Wednesday night of this week. Two historic things happened almost simultaneously. First, four courageous astronauts successfully lifted off from Launch Complex thirty nine B at Kennedy Space Center aboard Artemis two, which will attempt the first lunar fly by in more than.
Speaker 1: Fifty years now.
Speaker 2: I'm a space nerd, as many of you know, watching launches like this is something I always look forward to, and I've really been looking forward to this launch, which has been years in the making. In fact, I'm in my Artemis sweatshirt my NASA hat. These were sent to me years ago as this program was being built. So I've been waiting for this for a while now. And the launch was was a stunning site. When that turned out, more than three million people just to watch the official NASA launch broadcast alone, Okay, and for me and I'm sure a lot of Americans, it recalled up a nostalgia for the days of Apollo, which you know, excited and inspired so many Americans, and for just a moment it stirred up, you know, a kind of patriotism and hope that has felt hard to come by in recent months. Now, in a parallel universe or on a different timeline, this would have been the perfect moment for the President of the United States, whose space program is responsible for this incredible feed of innovation, to address the nation with a soaring speech marking the moment right, we could have seen the kind of speech that John F. Kennedy gave in nineteen sixty two, inspiring an anxious nation to believe in possibility and progress amidst a backdrop of Cold War fears. But that is not I don't have to tell you the universe or timeline we're living in. America is at war, and we don't really know why. President Donald Trump finally delivered his first national address more than a month into this self proclaimed and unauthorized excursion into Iran, an incursion in fact that's resulted in numerous US casualties. It strangled the free flow of oil and goods. It's created turmoil in the markets and world economies, and it's created a fear among those of us in the US and among our allies that our actions are going to have dangerous ripple effects in the region and here at home for months and possibly even years. But a speech that was meant, I think to satisfy the concerns of a skeptical public, you know, two thirds of which disapproves of Trump's war and doesn't believe he has a clear plan.
Speaker 1: I think it did the opposite.
Speaker 2: In fact, I think it exposed just how poorly Trump has thought this out.
Speaker 1: Take a listen.
Speaker 3: As we speak this evening, it's been just one month since the United States military began Operation Epic Fury, targeting the world's number one state sponsor of Terra Iran. In these past four weeks, our armed forces have delivered swift, decisive, overwhelming victories on the battlefield, victories like few people have ever seen before. Tonight, Iran's navy is gone, their air forces in ruins, Their leaders, most of them terrorist regime they led, are now dead, their command and control of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps being decimated as we speak. Their ability to launch missiles and drones is dramatically curtailed, and their weapons, factories and rocket launchers are being blown to pieces, very few of them left. Never in the history of warfare has an enemy suffered such clear and devastating, large scale losses in a matter of weeks. Our enemies are losing in America, as it has been for five years under my presidency, is winning, and now winning bigger than ever before.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: That certainly makes it sound like mission accomplished.
Speaker 1: Right, we won, doesn't it?
Speaker 2: But despite as raw raw declarations of victory and decimation, no one with even a cursory knowledge of Iran's history and capabilities could believe that this reckless, aimless war of attrition is anywhere close to being over. Offering no real plans to recover the roughly one thousand pounds of highly enriched uranium buried in the rubble at Natansen Ifshan, Offering no real plans to liberate the people of Iran from a regime that's thus far no different from the last one, Offering no real plans to reopen the Strait of Hormuz and the world's free flow.
Speaker 1: Of oil and goods.
Speaker 2: Trump blustered and boasted and bulked, all while wagging an indignant finger at our allies for not jumping into this ill advised quagmire with us. Yeah, how dare they? How dare they not endeavor down this folly of a road. And here's what he told our allies to do. Speaking of about the oil and the goods that they can't access due to Iran's closure of the Strait of Hormuz, to listen.
Speaker 3: The countries of the world that do receive oil through the Hormone Strait must take care of that passage. They must cherish it. They must grab it and cherish it. They can do it easily. We will be helpful, but they should take the lead in protecting the oil that they so desperately depend on. So to those countries that can't get fuel, many of which refuse to get involved in the decapitation of Iran, we had to do it ourselves. I have a suggestion. Number one, buy oil from the United States of America. We have plenty, we have so much. And number two, build up some delayed courage. Should have done it before, should have done it with us, as we asked. Go to the strait and just take it, protect it, use it for yourselves. Iran has been essentially decimated. The hard part is done.
Speaker 2: Be easy, Yeah, to go go in, take it. Get also get into a war. That is not how any of this works. Of course, the hard part is not done. Iran can keep the straight closed as long as it wants. Their military is not completely decimated, and closing the Strait of Hermos impacts the price of oil.
Speaker 1: For everyone, including us.
Speaker 2: It doesn't matter if we're getting our oil from Venezuela or Alaska.
Speaker 1: The prices are set globally, so.
Speaker 2: If the rest of the world can't get oil through the Strait of Horror moves, everyone's oil prices go up. Trump doesn't either get that or care. I don't know which one, but those are facts. He just wants to will it into existence that he's won this war.
Speaker 1: He's not. He's not even close. I don't take any pride in saying that. But I've covered war for a really long time, and I've talked to people.
Speaker 2: Who are war analysts and who drew up the war plans for a war with Iran.
Speaker 1: I'm listening to them. I wish he would, but I am listening to them, and.
Speaker 2: They are saying, we're nowhere near being done with this because we don't just get to snap our fingers and open the straight We don't get to snap our fingers and.
Speaker 1: Pull out of this war.
Speaker 2: There's another actor on the other side, and Iran has has been preparing for this. Iran is ready for this. Let me, in fact, tell you a little story about Iran. Back in nineteen eighty there was a war between Iran and Iraq, the Iran Iraq War, and eight days in Iraq offered to Iran a ceasefire. Iran rejected that ceasefire. Iraq would offer six more ceasefires. They were all rejected. That war lasted eight years. It took eight years to decimate Iran's economy and military, to degrade their economy and military to the point where it was ready to surrender. And only then because Iraq was threatening to do chemical weapons attacks. Eight years it prolonged a war that Iraq offered to stop after eight days. Let that be a warning to Trump in the United States. You don't just get to tell Iran we're done here. But in his attempt to brag about how short this war has lasted, again it's not over. He compared it to other lengthy conflicts. In this speech, he compared it to Vietnam. He compared it to the Iraq War. Well, I got to be honest, that only reminded Americans how costly and consuming this one is likely to be.
Speaker 1: Take a listen.
Speaker 3: It's very important that we keep this conflict in perspective. American involvement in World War One lasted one year, seven months and five days. World War two lasted for three years, eight months and twenty five days. The Korean War lasted for three years, one month and two days. The Vietnam War lasted for nineteen years, five months and twenty nine days. Iraq went on for eight years, eight months and twenty eight days. We are in this military operation, so powerful, so brilliant, against one of the most powerful countries, for thirty two days.
Speaker 2: I don't think that had the effect he wanted that to have with his dramatic thirty two day drop.
Speaker 4: Ye.
Speaker 2: I don't think that did what he thought that was doing. All that did was remind us there has not been a war that's been short. There certainly hasn't been a war with Iran that's been short. We don't tend to do short wars for whatever reason. And war is really messy, and the idea that this guy, that Donald Trump, who knows nothing about war, this guy is going to be the one to get us in and out real quick, in and out, little excursion. Come on, no one believes that it's important to note. I think that this speech is also coming against the backdrop of Trump's threats to withdraw from NATO. NATO is the post World War two treaty that's kept Soviet and other tyrant states from attacking the Western Alliance for more than seventy years now. Trump might not understand its importance, but the world does, and it's collectively rebuking his reckless efforts to weaken the body that is crucial for in shuring our own national security and stability and that of Europe. And it's so important that even Mitch McConnell came out this week to sign a letter with Democrats telling everyone how important it is that America remain in NATO. And look, the good news is Trump doesn't get to unilaterally decide to pull out of NATO. Fun fact, that's because Marco Rubio, current Secretary of State, co sponsored to bill in twenty twenty three that made it illegal for a president a commander in chief to pull out of NATO without congressional support. So Trump can thank his own secretary of State for making what he wants to do impossible. But that said, Trump can still inflict a lot of pain, a lot of pain on NATO, and make Vladimir Putin's life a lot easier in the process. Listen, times feel fraud. There's no question about it. We've got a correct to ignorant, self motivated, wanna be dictator prosecuting an ill advised war, using American blood and treasure to do it, all while threatening to isolate our nation and endanger others even further. He's wreaking economic havoc at home and across the globe, and it feels like without any care or consideration. And like I said, he's just giving Russia everything it's been asking for. And here's the thing I want I want to tell you, if we look at this mess the Trump's created, this economic mess, this military mess, this mess on the global stage, if we look at this mess that he's created too closely or for too long, it feels impossible to have hope for a better tomorrow. And that's why I think it's so important now more than ever, to look up to look up towards the stars, where actual heroes are leading the way. Right now as we speak, we are all cheering you on Artemis too. Okay, don't go anywhere more on all of this with a great guest when we return. Welcome back to talking politics. I want to get to our fantastic guest.
Speaker 1: I told him.
Speaker 2: Yesterday when I was booking him that he was the perfect guest for this conversation, and I feel so lucky and I'm proud of my booking skills that we got him today. Douglas Brinkley is an historian and an author. He's a history professor at Rice University. Contributor to Vanity Fair. He's written so many books about presidents and historical figures and writers, the Nixon Tapes to the Reagan Diaries. But most importantly for us today, he wrote American Moonshot JFK and The Great Space Race.
Speaker 1: Welcome, Doug Brinkley, Thank.
Speaker 4: You so much for having me. I know we both shared a deep admiration for NASA in the nineteen sixties and seventies and carries over to Artemis today.
Speaker 2: We are both space nerds, and I think I've told you this, Doug, but I don't know. Back in twenty nineteen, I was asked to moderate a panel of women's space scientists at the JFK Library for the fiftieth anniversary of the Moon landing.
Speaker 1: What an incredible thrill?
Speaker 4: I mean, well, no question for you. What an incredible though must have blown your mind?
Speaker 1: It blew my mind.
Speaker 4: And did you get to get to know them personally any and.
Speaker 2: Have any idea we became I became friendly with several of these incredible women, all of whom have asteroids named after them, which is great fun, and I subsequently had them on some of my CNN shows. But I've been excited for Artemis two for years. I'm wearing my Artemis sweatshirt that they sent me several years ago. Set the stage for how important this moment is in space exploration.
Speaker 4: Oh, it's a gigantic moment. First of all, the fact that you were dealing with the issue of women in space. We're having our first woman astronaut. That was a big deal. In the early nineteen sixties, we had a Mercury thirteen project, thirteen women that were trained in New Mexico by a doctor Lovelace, and they did all the tests that you might see in the movie or The Right Stuff or the book The Right Stuff by Tom Wolfe. I mean all this arduous physical challenges, examinations, efforts to be a female astronaut, and all of them got past and yet in fact most did better than the Mercury Gemini astronaut that we chose. But alas it was decided there would be no woman allowed. So unfortunately Russia beat us in that regard having the first woman astronaut in space. So I've been particularly glad in the twenty first century to see space and exploration being wide open to women, and women going into space engineering, and women that are from a young age decided I could do it. I want to be an astronaut, and lo and behold with Artemis, we're getting a chance to see that, and hopefully by twenty twenty eight we will be able to put our first woman astronaut on the Moon, which will be just another milestone achievement in US space exploration in the twentieth and twenty first centuries.
Speaker 1: It will be an incredible moment.
Speaker 2: Do you think that this will have the impact on future generations the way that Apollo Apollo did?
Speaker 4: That is the key question. I was thinking of that myself last evening, probably not in some regards. When we only had three TV channels in the CBS, NBC, ABC, this was mandatory watching. And people like broadcaster Walter Cronkite, who had had during World War Two was the dean of Army aviation and bombing, you know, so he got to know all these flight bombers and then he went His hometown was Houston, and he had developed his love of space, so he was a maestro of turning the space missions into television drama. But we saw the precipitous drop after Apollo eleven, after Neil Armstrong and Buzz Alderman walked on the Moon and the whole world was watching. After Paul eleven, all the other Apollo started getting less and less, you know, ratings to the point where you know that we were trying to do things and asked a grab attention, like let's golf on the moon and people watch that. You know, But it's been a while since our last astronaut's been on the moon, and Artemis is doing things that paula program couldn't dream of with its flight course right now in preparation for twenty twenty eight. So I'm hoping a crescendo will build and this could become something that pulls our country together, like a NASA in the Moonshot. But the singer Bob Dylan has a line in one of his songs called you can always go back, but you can't go back all the way, and I interfer that always to mean something like this was a high water mark, the Moonshot, going to the Moon of achievement. I don't know of going back to the Moon and any different guys will still carry quite the same drama. But it will for me certainly, and I hope it does for a whole new generation because the young people in college love space. It's there. I teach a class on the you know, nineteen sixties and seventies, and nobody wants to hear about Woodstock or the Summer of Love. They want to hear about you know, John Glenn or Alan Shepard or Pace Race Yeah, Gus Greg, Greg Grissom and the Space Race.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I asked one of these NASA women, doctor Maria Zuber, at the time, like why go back to the Moon, And she said, well, imagine someone coming to America for the first time and deciding from whatever spot they landed on, they knew everything about America, and how crazy that would be because we know how diverse in different America is.
Speaker 1: She said, the moon is the same, it looks all the same to us. It is not.
Speaker 2: And one, you know, plane is different from one crater from one other lunar field.
Speaker 1: And so she's putting it in that context.
Speaker 2: It makes it almost insane that we haven't been back much more often than we did in those years following Apollo eleven.
Speaker 4: Well, I agree with that. I think some of this the you know, the Challenger disaster. You know, the people will come beyond cutting budgets. You know, NASA in the nineteen sixties it was about four point four percent of the annual budget went to NASA for the Moonshot pop Project Apollo. Today you get about a third of one percent of federal government, you know, of our money for these kind of artemis programs because the private sector, as you know, has come in in such a big time way with you know, Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos and others in that space. But this is showing you NASA is still still standing tall, the flags still flying. I mean, this is the the the work of a collaboration out of the Space Coast UH and working in tandem with Rice University or MI T Jeffer Polson.
Speaker 1: Labatory, Yeah, JPL Y.
Speaker 4: Blue Origin and you know, and other private entities. So it's a collaborative effort here in a very real way. And the fact that we not only have a woman astronaut, but our first black American, you know, first person of color, that's remarkable. Back in the nineteen sixties, the former CBS guru Edward R. Murrow wrote very extensively trying to convince John F. Kennedy, for the civil rights sake of it, to have one of the astronauts be African American. And of course that never materialized. So that's another And we are a country that likes first and anything. You're going to be hearing a lot in coming years about this is the first time this happened. This is the first And I did once speak to President Trump after his first term about speak going about space, and he loves it. You know, he created Space Force, our lagos on that on Florida coast, and if you're down there, people like to watch, you know, lifts and you know, it's part of the culture of Florida. The more he said to me about John F. Kennedy that the moonshot was important because it was good for the morale of the American people. Sure, you know that would and and you know, I feel like if this possibly can pull our country together and say we we you know, we still got it. It's not as overt as us first Soviet Union, who's first to the moon in the nineteen sixties, but in a in a lesser way, a more covert way. We know we're trying to out beat China, you know, to the moon and show our predominance in space and particularly anything related to the Moon as a possible colony or you know, military base or just a place that we conduct scientific research. But we want to see an American flag on the Moon, not a Chinese flag.
Speaker 2: Well, I invited you on not only because of your space enthusiasm, right, but because you are an historian and a presidential historian. And last night's launch happened to get the backdrop of what feels, I think like to many Americans like the polar opposite. No pun intended, this amazing feat of innovation and patriotism and excitement and hope and possibility against this ominous political moment that we're in with a president who addressed a very anxious nation last night, I find it to be an incredible juxtaposition. And coming from where you are both as a presidential historian and space enthusiast, I'm wondering if you could contextualize the artemist to launch in the context of what is happening right now politically and why maybe we need it so much.
Speaker 4: Well, the artemis to launch should be what everybody's talking about. It should be the water cooler, a dialogue of a America. But alas it's a very crammed and busy schedule. It's the same time you had President Trump talking about the war in Iran, which is very unpopular, sixty percent of the American public opposed. And there's not a lot of clarity of what we're doing at this point. There are we sending in troops, are we just doing more more you know, bombing missions? Are we pulling out of there? What's going to happen in the strait of Homos? And that's just so much alone. And then yesterday at the Supreme Court, you had President Trump sitting for seventy minutes. No president's ever done such a thing listening to birthright citizenship arguments, arguments trying to undo the fourteenth Amendment, and you know, that would showed that the Justice Court was standing up to Trump and caught a lot of people's attention that that's very likely going to be shot down in June. So with that, those kind of events going Artemis to unfortunately took kind of third saddle through the news cycle, but I believe that it will increase. And particularly as we're leaning into America's to two hundred and fiftieth birthday July fourth, we're starting to ask ourselves what are we proud of as Americans? Certainly the Constitution, are founding documents, Federalist papers, doctor some of Independence, some of the Lincoln foundational documents, the Gettysburg Address, Emancipation Proclamation, civil rights, you know, but the Moonshot, because the Moonshot is still thought of as the great moment where we prove American exceptionalism. We were able to take the best and the brightest engineers, scientists, computer analysts on down and have a goal hit it and watch the world's jaw drop and admiringly up in all of us. And so the start, there's a hunger for a moonshot. Artemis two could provide that, but we're going to have to have put some of our social media feeds, give them a diet, and kind of focus on the TikTok and incredible engineering feed going on with our Artemists two and what it means for the future of satellites or for artificial intelligence, or for national security, and kind of realize that we still have the ability to do missions like Artemis too, which just when you think America is becoming an empire depleted.
Speaker 1: It's a really good point. I was also thinking about twenty eight.
Speaker 2: We we have an astronaut in the Senate, as you know, Mark Kelly, who is thinking about running for president. And we've obviously had astronauts go into politics before we had you know, John Glenn was in Senate. Jack Sweigert, of flight pilot for Apollo thirteen got elected to Congress, died before he could take office. But Bill Nelson is another. But we've never had an astronaut president. And I think a lot of people, especially kids, look at astronauts still as if they're superheroes, right, and certainly role models.
Speaker 1: And you know, after the last few years, we've had.
Speaker 2: I'm wondering if you think people want a role model in the White House again, and who better than an astronaut to sort of like get our spirits up again?
Speaker 4: What do you think I like that? I agree, I grew up in Perry Spurg, Ohio, and down the road for me and Walp a Caneto, Ohio's Neil Armstrong. That's right, and admit everything to me, he was my superhero that I couldn't believe a local boys down a country road or two was the first human to break the shackles of planet Earth. I thought when John Kerrey got the Democratic nomination in two thousand and four, my limited advice was hammering away to pick John Glenn to run with Carrie oh instead of picking John Edwards of North Carolina. Carrie was looking at Dick get part of Missouri also, And I was constantly going to Bob Strum and Mary Beth k Hill and Glenn and Glenn Glenn because I went to Ohio State undergraduate and everybody loves John Glenn in Ohio. He went shopping, they nobody cared whether he's a Democratic senator. And I kept getting well, he's not getting too old, and I say he's not too old. He's a folk figure. They love him and the people love him in you know, and the same with Mark Kelly. I mean, he probably is underestimated that his abilities to perhaps even win the Democratic nomination if he ran. Although Arizona is a hard state to know what's going on in any way, shape or form right now.
Speaker 2: Well, Arizona loves him, I can tell you. I know a lot of folks, don't.
Speaker 1: They love him.
Speaker 4: People love him, and so it's really all to your point. We do love our astronauts, just like we love our men and women in the armed forces. And some people have been hungering for where's our Eisenhower, meaning where's our general? People asking Admerald mccraven to run for president or you know, why don't we isn't this the moment we need somebody from the military, but one of our future leaders very soon, very well, maybe somebody coming out of space, meaning an astronaut, because they still have a high at least call John Q public or whatever. They still have a very high threshold in the public's estimation.
Speaker 1: When almost no one does right like heroes out there that we can all agree with.
Speaker 4: Yeah, occasional ballplayer and that's about it, you know, and then we go into silos. You know, we have personal heroes for our own personal interest, but not ones that seem to we are able to transport themselves across all fifty states.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, Before I let you go, we usually do an exit poll of questions to our guest. But honestly, there's only one question I care about with you. What is the best all time ever movie about space?
Speaker 4: Wow, that's a really great one. I have to go with first thought, best thought, which is Stanley Kubrick's two thousand and one Space Odyssey and why because it haunted me, particularly the ending of it and thinking about human's the fragility of human life and how it interacts with the Solar system, and the way Kubrick manipulated a kind of sense of birth to death and renewal in the film and some of for that era. It also the score and the music, and really it seemed to me like a avant garde masterpiece of some kind, and I caught it at the right time where it left an indelible impression. But I like so many space movies, basically, I'm gonna stick with Kubrick.
Speaker 2: Well, that's a wonderful one, but I also have so many favorites.
Speaker 1: I think Contact is up there for me.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, that would be high. It's an incredible better. I mean, I think for better than Kubrick. I'm being a little esoteric now with Kubrick, but I always give higher marks to people that influenced me when I was younger, you.
Speaker 1: Know, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: But that's a great film, context great.
Speaker 2: I have another one that's maybe controversial because I don't think people take it seriously, but Cabricorn one was Oh yeah.
Speaker 4: Long, that's really good. That's really great.
Speaker 2: I guess it was eighties and it looks very eighties, like if you go back to watch the effects.
Speaker 1: Are very eighties. But Brolin and Elliott Gould and yes, oj even I mean it was.
Speaker 2: It was a great and it's actually a movie for today because it was such a conspiracy theory movie, which we all seemed to be doing a lot more of.
Speaker 1: So that's another one I loved.
Speaker 4: I liked Apollo thirteen when it came out.
Speaker 1: Well that's a perfect film, yeah, Timmy.
Speaker 4: It was just like a flawless best picture of the year, perfect movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I got to meet Jim Lovell My parents were living in Chicago at the time, and he had a restaurant called Levels outside of Chicago and the town that they lived in. So when I went to visit them, I definitely wanted to go there. And he was known to sort of like walk the floor from time to time, and so I got to shake his hand, and then I got a signed copy of The Lost Moon that he wrote, so like a big connection to that movie Apaullo thirteen. It was incredible, And I bet for a generation like mine might have been one of their first introductions to Apollo, right, like they might have known the story, but certainly not the story of a ball at thirteen.
Speaker 4: Yes, no, and and there are others. But you made me realize, like my my humor mind just kicked into if you went to a restaurant and it was like buzz Aldron walking around, walking around, but and you know, and who knows what he would have say said to you, because he was really an unhinged interesting you know gunslinger. Imagine you're like talking to him and he either could have treated you like your best friend or say get out of here, why are you bothering me? You know, it's he had such a you know such a curmudgeonally, so he's all about if you buzz Aldron Mars Mars Mars Yeah, which is a whole other podcast for us about Mars exploration.
Speaker 2: So is so is buzz Aldrin because he has said some things about the moon.
Speaker 4: That's what I mean. And Buzz says is like HiT's the conspiracy bells and it blows up the internet when he says these things. Sometimes I think he's playing messing with us. Somebody in the room.
Speaker 2: Doug, let's you and I agree he's messing with us, because I just messing with us.
Speaker 1: I can't stomach some of the things.
Speaker 4: You live your whole life being tau asked the same question over and over again, so you purposely give the other totally one eighty contrarian answer.
Speaker 1: I like it. We've decided he's messing with.
Speaker 4: Us, messing with us. We're in unity as you as we usually are, but as.
Speaker 2: You reasonally are that Doug Brinkley, thank you so much for taking the time for us today.
Speaker 1: You were indeed the perfect guest.
Speaker 2: And I am just so honored that you were here today on this day after the Artist Too lunch.
Speaker 4: I'm thrilled to be with you and I really appreciate our friendship and you take care of yourself you too.
Speaker 1: Thanks Doug, and thanks to everyone listening. We'll see you next week.
Speaker 2: Off the Cup is a production of iHeart Podcasts as part of the Reason Choice Network.
Speaker 1: If you want more, check out the other Reason.
Speaker 2: Choice podcasts Spolitics with Jamel Hill and Native Land Pod. For Off the Cop, I am your host, Si Cup. Editing and sound design by Derek Clements. Our executive producers are me Si Coup, Lauren Hanson, and Lindsay Hoffman. Rate and review wherever you get your podcasts. Follow or subscribe for new episodes every Wednesday.