Speaker 1: What do you call two guys that were there when this happened?
Speaker 2: Back to return at Spurlock, Michael Spurlock of the chim He's to the twenty, he's of the twenty.
Speaker 1: Five, thirty to the forty yard line.
Speaker 2: We could see history fifty forty come a thirty yard light.
Speaker 1: Michael run, Michael Luck, Michael run. Since down Tampa Bay.
Speaker 2: There you go, and that shot gunsense we receivers left. Here's the staff of the glitcher has picked up Brady Unity.
Speaker 1: Caught ball EPs. He has the record at the eleven yard line.
Speaker 2: Mike Evans becomes the first NFL player in the lead history to record a thousand yards of more in this first seven seasons, and want to throw by Brady. Congratulations Mike Evens, who can forget again?
Speaker 3: I'm looking again.
Speaker 2: Hoo's up the south by touchdown tamaway Derek Boks the.
Speaker 1: Most valuable player.
Speaker 4: You're the National Football League?
Speaker 2: Then ask Dot Daggers in where are you gonna win.
Speaker 3: The Super Bowl? Here's listen, mat Mahomes running to his right.
Speaker 1: Lookout.
Speaker 3: He may run my home director.
Speaker 1: Battle and picked for the ends on Fox.
Speaker 3: I gotta beat the Chief.
Speaker 1: We're the champions. Of the world that we still have. I'm minute thirty three to go. Dammit White, what a great second season.
Speaker 3: That's it for Casey.
Speaker 4: Bocks are the super Bowl champs.
Speaker 1: They can't stop the clock. We call them the Salty Dogs.
Speaker 4: Welcome everybody to the Salty Dogs Podcast. I am Scott.
Speaker 1: Smith and I am Jeff Ryan.
Speaker 4: We're the Salty Dogs.
Speaker 1: We are.
Speaker 4: I haven't said that stuff in a while.
Speaker 1: I know, it seems like I think it was right.
Speaker 4: A week before the draft or a couple days before the draft.
Speaker 1: Yeah, some our last one.
Speaker 4: So we consider this the beginning of the season for us.
Speaker 1: Correct we're in.
Speaker 4: Once training camp starts, you've basically started the season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, it's our training camp trying to figure out how to make everything work.
Speaker 4: So the very first episode we do in camp is always what we consider the kickoff to the shoes, and which is why we were so excited. And I'm sure you've already seen if you're listening to this you've clicked on it, you know that our special guests this week is Offensive cordnerator Dave Kanalis.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I'm absolutely eager to get that interview in because I want to talk. I really want him to tell us about the nuts and bolts of what his offense is.
Speaker 1: Everybody's talking about it and making their assessments of what it should be, but we're gonna find out what we think what he believes it will be.
Speaker 4: Well, I want to know if the things I've been saying in writing are accurate, because, as I'm going to say to him, you know, we tend to we don't know the game in as great of detail as an NFL coach would now, and so we tend to write or talk or whatever sometimes in generalities, like you know that he came from Seattle. Seattle last year ran twelve personnel, two tight ends on like almost thirty percent of their play. So we all, okay, so we're gonna see a lot more twelve personnel. I mean, it's a natural assumption to make, but it's not necessarily true. So these are the kind of questions I'm going to ask him about. Yeah, you know what we saw there, how does this translate here? What do you do differently? How does it all come together? And you know, one big package.
Speaker 1: And me I'll go to the family stuff. I'll talk a little bit about that, and hopefully I'm going to learn.
Speaker 4: Something Fortunately, we know very well that David has no problem holding a cover.
Speaker 1: He is Mike kind of interview. He's not a yep and noper.
Speaker 4: Oh no, he's if if his times at the podium are INDI indication, we will be getting lots of good stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we're looking forward to that. And that's a great way to start too, considering that we're a few days off from our first game, and and get a good good feel for when you're watching Friday Nights games.
Speaker 4: So and then at the end we'll answer some fan questions. But here the first section, we just kind of like to go over the stuff that's happening.
Speaker 1: So, how did you spend your summer vacation? All, well, that's that's a school thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I didn't go hardly anywhere. Yeah, moving back to Saint Louis for a week. Nice that you know when you're when you have a child home from college, Yeah, you don't really want to take vacations now that that person's going with you, And in mine in this case was working like three different jobs. Sure, so we didn't go anywhere because we wanted to stay home. Well he was home.
Speaker 1: Well that's nice family time, Nothing wrong with that.
Speaker 4: All right, I'm I've got basically like a bunch of camp takeaways listed. All right, let's see how I'm not. This isn't even the first one I wrote down, but I'm going to start here because it's my favorite thing that I've seen in this camp, and that is Mike freaking Evans. Yes, he's having a monster camp. And listen, take all that his mney with as big of a grain of assault as you want, listeners. Okay, And yes, there's always tweets and reports from the practice field. This guy made a great play. This guy made a great play. And yes, people are gonna want to talk up one of the greatest players in franchise history. But this is I'm telling you, this is real, and it's not just coming from us. He read any outlet about the Box right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's almost it's almost like not that he's trying to reinvent himself, but he certainly is not coming in like a guy that's been around ten years.
Speaker 4: Well, in a way, he may be reinventing himself a little bit this year because, as he told us the other day and really one of his most upbeat press conferences in a while, they are moving him around a ton, and he said, ten years in, I'm even seeing some routes I've never seen before, when generally you usually hear guys say everybody runs the same routes. Yeah, everybody runs the same place. They just dressed them up differently or called them something else, or combine them in different ways. So this appears that Mike says, I've been moved around, but not like this, right, and so Mike has basically been an excess whole career.
Speaker 1: Well, what I liked about it is that as he talked about all of this stuff, he goes and I can do everything, And I loved it because most guys don't do that, but I'm glad he did.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 4: He said, I want to run every route because I can and I can win on him.
Speaker 1: And it's got to be fun for him to be doing something different. Not that it's not fun all the time, but I mean just it's like anything else. You do it for a while, you like a new wrinkle to it.
Speaker 4: So yeah, he said, I don't want to just be the guy that runs ends, outs, hitches and goes. And I looked it up in ends, outs, hitches and goes were a little more than seventy percent of his routes life. Wow, that's not that far really off. Those are really commonly used routes. I looked at some other big time receivers like Devontae Adams and stuff like that, and that wasn't that far off what an average number one receiver does. But still he hardly had any crossers. You know, he didn't have a lot of posts. And some of these things will be combinations of these routes, and you know, it's up. I don't know who's recording what each route is and if they get it right. But the point is Mike is going to be used differently. He's apparently very energized by what they're doing with him in this offense. And I'll be asking Dave Canalis about this too. There's a lot of feedback from the players that this offense is doing a good job of scheming guys open. Some guys are saying I'm more open than I've been in a while, and I'd like to hear what Dave has to say about that. That's the kind of thing you hear said about a Kyle Shanahan offense. True, and this is kind of from that tree.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, because of McVeigh and Shanahan was and McVeigh were together and wash you didn't they where they were here briefly as in turns Oh know, crazy.
Speaker 4: It all comes full circle. But in any case, all those things together, and I would think that there's probably the casual fan out there, Like right now, if you listed the top ten, who do you think of the top ten receivers in the league? Do they put Mike on it? Like I actually read one on ESPN and they had him like they had ten guys and he was the second honorable mention so they basically a twelfth. I would put him on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, who are they putting on that?
Speaker 4: Oh, there's a lot of good that's part of You got Justin Jefferson, you got tyreek Hill, you got Jay Wattall, you got Stefan Diggs, you got Cooper Cup, you got Amari Cooper, you got Ceedee Lamb. I could go on.
Speaker 1: True. Uh So I understand.
Speaker 4: And the reason I think that's the case is because now he's what ten years into his career, so he's been around forever. If you look at his numbers from recent seasons, you might go, well, maybe he's he's in the beginning of a little bit of a decline. But let me let me for instance, let me look, I We're lucky you were in my office, which is nice because not only do I get to watch the Little League World Series up there, but which I love, but I can mess around on my laptop and look up information quickly. So since Mike had his fifteen hundred yard team record fifteen twenty four receiving yards averaging seventeen point seven yards per catch in twenty eighteen, his numbers since then have been eleven fifty seven, one six, one three five and one one two four.
Speaker 1: And it could be also that he gets a thousand yards for the last ten years, and it's kind of like, yeah, that's just Mike Evans.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well you're when you go from fifteen hundred and then you're two years ago, you just kind of barely make it over a thousand. Part of that was because he missed a game or two, but sure, the reason I believe for that is the offense. And it was a great offense. It was a great offense. He was a huge part of a great offense. The Bucks were one of the highest scoring teams for twenty twenty two.
Speaker 1: The Tom Brady I was just going to say the TB twelve.
Speaker 4: Era, but Mike was Chris was the slot, high volume guy, and Mike was more of the downfield guy and average depth of target a lot deeper, And especially the last two years and especially last year, our time to throw was like Tom Brady had the quickest time to throw in the league essentially, So if you're the guy with the longer developing routes, you're not getting targeted right because the quarterback is not holding on the ball long enough to throw to you. You saw that it could still happen in the Carolina game that clinched to the division where Brady hit Mike Amazon three huge bomb touchdowns. So that ability for that to happen never went away, but the offense went away from.
Speaker 1: It for a good portion of last year. Correct.
Speaker 4: So you take that same player now, he's still only twenty nine.
Speaker 1: I know that's crazy.
Speaker 4: He was so young when he came in the lague. He's still only twenty nine. We see him running around there on the field looking like he's twenty five. Yep, and he he makes the point, and he's actually made it for a couple of years in a row. He has gotten so much better at managing his own body. Yes, that he feels better in camps now than he did when he first got in the league.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you go look at pictures when he came in as a rookie, total body transformation. But I think part of that too is how do you remain in the league. And I think Tom Brady kind of brought that in where guys were looking at him, going, geez, he's forty six, and how's he doing it? And they look at the habits and say, you know, that's not that major adjustment for me to make those. You know, I'm committed. I'm gonna go ahead and do that. And it's happened with Mike.
Speaker 4: The really good well, the really good players generally have a lot of talent. Yeah, the great ones have a lot of talent, and they figure out.
Speaker 1: How to keep it going.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they figure out how they need to work and how much they need to work, and how they need to work to keep it going.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well I think Mike's among the greats.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You make it in the league with your physical attributes, but you stay in the league because you use your mind.
Speaker 4: Yeah that's good. So you're like that one. Yeah, Okay, Mike has He's coming into his tenth season with ten four and twenty five yards and eighty one touchdown catches. He has an eighty second touchdown that he got on a fumble recovery. But just talking about receptions, ten thoughts, so he's over ten thousand. He's at eighty one. There are only fifteen guys so far in the history of the league with more than ten thousand yards receiving yards and at least eighty five touchdowns. Mike's gonna get to eighty five, he said eighty one. He'll probably get there this year, but he's gonna probably play several more years. Right, Do you have any doubt whatsoever they will get to eighty five touchdowns?
Speaker 1: No, I think he'll get there.
Speaker 4: So of the fifteen guys that are there, twelve are in the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 4: Two are not yet eligible for the Hall of Fame. That's Antonio Gates, who will be eligible next year, and Larry Fitzgerald, who's a few years away. Those guys are going in.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The only exception is heinz Ward. Heinesward makes the list exactly with eighty five touchdowns. He's not in the Hall of Fame. And I don't think he's going to be at this point. Don't think there's been a lot of momentum fourteen fifty. Now do you think Michael get the ninety touchdown catches? He's at eighty one right now. Yeah, yeah, he's getting right. Okay, if you make it tenth dollar.
Speaker 1: Me this year, probably game three, I hear you.
Speaker 4: He's uh. Then that group is only eleven players, nine of whom are in the Hall, and then the others are Fitzgerald and Gates who will be.
Speaker 3: In the Hall.
Speaker 4: So we can probably as long as Mike has at least one more good year and then probably a couple other decent years, he'll I think we can put to bed that he's not going.
Speaker 1: Speaking of Hall of Fame, I just want to say what a awesome experience it was to go up to Canton and to see Rondez get in and the whole ceremony and is very very cool. It was an effort to get there. You forget, Canton has a very small town.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and how will you stayed in Cleveland?
Speaker 1: I did? It was an hour drive, so it actually was pretty easy.
Speaker 4: Did you only do it that one day? Saturday? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Saturday? Yet Friday. I got in on Friday and then Saturday drove down, went to the ceremony, drove back to Cleveland, took a shower, hung out for a little bit, then drove back to the after party, which was very very nice, and then drove back to Cleveland, which sounds like a lot of driving.
Speaker 3: Well was.
Speaker 1: It was four hours. But the great news about it was when I got up Saturday morning to catch an earlier flight, I didn't have an hour drive. I only had morning or Sunday morning. I only had, you know, a ten minute drive.
Speaker 4: I think that's what I would have done too. Yeah, it was just easier, and I guess you kind of had to go back and shower after that, because you oh yeah, yea for hours.
Speaker 1: It was it's hot here and humid, but you forget when you go up north it's hot. It's it's I feel like it's more of an intense heatsive. Yes, yes, I don't know.
Speaker 4: We can get back into that in a minute, because.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it was very very cool and and it the most enjoyable part of it was, of course Rod Day's speech, but seeing people I haven't seen in ten fifteen years, former players, Tony dungeye. Just you know, you're just seeing people you just haven't seen, and people who used to work here that that have moved on, they came in for it. So it was like it was kind of bittersweet because you got to say, hey, Scott, good to see you, how are the kids, blah blah blah, and then you had to move on to the next person because everybody was grabbing everybody, so you got to visit, but not heavily. But it was great, good time.
Speaker 4: Well and he made a great speech. Oh it was really really good from beginning to end. I thought it was awesome. This stuff about his mom and his brother was great.
Speaker 1: Listen, anytime you can see your mom's a badass. I salute you.
Speaker 4: That little five foot and nothing lady in the front row, My mom's kind of a bad.
Speaker 1: She was crying a big time. Yeah. I mean, I was very fortunate enough to be able to be close to the stage and it was it's just very it is very emotional. And then I text Ronde afterwards and just said, hey, thanks for letting me tag along to an incredible journey, because that's kind of how I feel about it, you know.
Speaker 4: So there was a lot of stuff in that speech, and he spoke about himself and his journey and all that that's very illuminating and that anybody you don't even have to know him to understand what he's saying. But one little nugget in there that you probably wouldn't pick up on if you didn't know Ronde and they weren't around the bucks here. Isn't that point in the speech where he specifically thanked Dave Levy, Pat Brazil, the Chris and West Bryan and I think and all the trainers and Brian Brian, Little Brian.
Speaker 1: We all know Little Brian. He's now in Pittsburgh.
Speaker 4: So and the reason that that happened. Those were all guys who worked in the video apartment, the football video department here at the Buccaneers at one point or another. And Ronde's favorite thing, like when they had lunch or downtime or whatever, was to go hang out upstairs in that room.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 4: And I have tried to flay to people sometimes about how I would say the majority, vast majority of guys that I've met that the players have all been great dudes, very nice to you. You know, any group of ninety players or a hundred or whatever. A couple hundred over the years was going to be one or two that you get along with better worse. But a lot of them are very kind of football insular. Like if you're player, if you're John Smith, the running back, and you're here in the building, you spend pretty much all your time hanging out with other players. Ronde really kind of different. Didn't differentiate between a player, his teammates and the guy that works in the video department. So he was became friends with all those guys. I mean that seems natural, of course, but it's not always natural.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they were all there too. They all came in for it, which was very special. But it was funny. You mentioned Dave Levy. We were texting back and forth and I said, very cool. Rondy called you out, did a shout out, and he replied, it brought tears to my eyes. And I could see that because I'm very very close and a money was up there also. It's good to see money too, Oh Rahie Morris. I got to see raw and spend a few minutes with him.
Speaker 4: So yeah, David Levy was the very long time video director here. God started working here with He was like seventeen years old.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was like eighteen years old in like nineteen eighty eight, and he put his thirty years in or whatever. And you know, he's living out on my career. He's living out on the beach. Life is good. That's good. Yeah, all right, so Rondie, I got a bow on that. Yeah.
Speaker 4: What else? What else? What else? What else?
Speaker 1: Are you talking about? To heat? What's the problem?
Speaker 4: I want to know. Do you think this is hotter than it's ever been before?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 4: And it's a dang good thing. We're practicing in the morning.
Speaker 1: No question, because I was just outside and it is.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So it's like we're recording this around three o'clock. The other we had Sunday off, I think, yeah, and uh we my wife and I went to a graduation party for a neighbor's daughter graduating from college. And it's one block over in our neighborhood. And I was walking back from that, I'm walking a block. I'm like, this is insane.
Speaker 1: Well right now it is ninety two degrees, but it feels like one hundred and five hundred and five. I had to go and run a quick errand I got in the truck and fired it up. Temperature gauge was one hundred and ten and then I drove and it only dropped one hundred and five.
Speaker 4: It's crazy.
Speaker 1: But the humidity is still very high too, you know. I mean, geez, it's.
Speaker 4: Very hot, but at least it's also incredible human.
Speaker 1: Yes, well it's better than you know when people say in Arizona that it's hot, but it's a dry heat. And my thinking is, yeah, so it's a blow torch, just dry heat. But I don't want to meal about it.
Speaker 4: So anyway, there's no scientific proof here. No, not trying to make any kind of political statement. No, just climate of change and stating are fact. I'm just feeling like this is hot it's ever been. Yeah, it's they're out there, and they're out there in that I'm staying on the sideline and we keep just randomly saying to each other, oh my god, it just I think it just got hotter.
Speaker 1: I do find it interesting how they do the water breaks over and over, you know, they're very conscious of that. Well, and they have that new heat index machine.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and they have the new cooling bench.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah.
Speaker 4: And I'm not sure of all the bells and whistles, but they had to like dig a trench and run a bunch of power chords to it. And then and it sits between on the sideline between fields two and three, and I guess there's cold air blowing up through it. Yeah, and then they have these things they can put on their heads in their necks.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I tried to sit there, but there's no room. Well, that's what I was gonna wonder.
Speaker 3: I was looking at.
Speaker 1: It was always full.
Speaker 4: There was one point in practice where there was like five five guys about five football players can fit on it, right, and none of them left For a while. I'm thinking, who gets to decide who sits there? Because it's full? And I bet that guy over there would like to sit down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but nobody's giving up their spot. I think it's the strong survive the All I know is that.
Speaker 4: I have not sat on it because I don't want to get any glance.
Speaker 1: I have not either. Yeah, you get crushed.
Speaker 4: Somebody was just talking about I was listening to a podcast and we're talking about, Uh, they were covering a team and I won't name the team, but the the security wouldn't let him there was raining in the security wouldn't let him stand under a tent like we have some tins. Sure, and somebody was saying, somebody used to have Andy Reid used to have rules that you the media couldn't drink when they were on the sideline drink water because it wasn't fair that they're standing there. We remember some Chiano moments.
Speaker 1: Sure, Tom Coughlin when he came to Jacksonville wouldn't allow sunglasses for media, for anybody.
Speaker 4: I mean including media.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and that is you know, I have a hard time sitting in your office without my sunglasses, and they're actually sitting right here. So yeah, you don't wear some You know what I did notice that about you? You don't.
Speaker 4: Well. Part of the problem now, although I never did before, is I need these reading glasses. So I'm always carrying these reading glasses around. True, and I don't need them for regular sight. But if I have to look at my phone, I have to put them on. Got carrying two things, two piers of glasses.
Speaker 1: It's a hard go. You need a little strap thing, all right. So yeah, I've thought about that.
Speaker 4: I've seen I feel like I'm getting old enough as it is, and that would age me by.
Speaker 1: Listen, the day you do that there will be no mercy on you.
Speaker 4: So you're not convincing me to do it.
Speaker 1: Because we'll get you little little pearl ones for you. Come on, all right.
Speaker 4: Another big takeaway is, and it's kind of tangential to all the stuff about Mike, but if if I've heard one thing a million times in this camp from players and everybody else, is that everyone loves this new Dave Canal's home.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: They're all just loving it. They're raving about it.
Speaker 3: Is it do they?
Speaker 4: We don't know if it works yet. I'm not trying to put their horse.
Speaker 1: Is it something new, something refreshing, something I guess that's always good? Yeah, and so maybe that's it. It's it's kind of like, well, and if it's and they're seeing some success in practice, they're seeing things, and so you get into a game and if it's successful, you know, you start getting in the wins and losses. Everything changes. But I think I think they're going to be able to school now that you know. The big question mark is you know, you got to have a quarterback, but supposally in this offense, the quarterback isn't the savior, he's just the commander.
Speaker 4: If it works as well, as like a Shanahan offense does. Then it can operate without you having to have the grace of all time as your quarterback. Yeah, when you need good quarterback play, let's not sugarcoat it. Yeah, but yes it can. It's a very quarterback friendly offense.
Speaker 1: How crazy is Rock Birdie comes in and never played a game and played but it was the system. But he also has talent.
Speaker 4: He has talent. Yeah, and some sort of muxis.
Speaker 1: You know, it's funny everyone asks, Uh, well, not everyone, but Mike Evans was asked who throws the better ball? And I liked his answer. He said, they're all NFL quarterbacks. They all throw good balls. And I loved that answer. You know, it's just a different style. But you know, you don't make it into the NFL if you can't throw. It's going to be a quarterback.
Speaker 4: So the quarterback competition between Baker Mayfield and contrast is obviously story one of this training has to be and uh well, the outcome of it will obviously chart a course of how this shut is going to go. And and we don't know how it's going to play out. And I think it's pretty clear that that they have made they have not made a decision yet. And all I would say is, I know a lot of people heading into camp outside this building were like, yeah, sure you got a competition. We know it's going to be Baker. I don't know, man, it seems really tight to me and Kyle. And and this is nothing against Baker. I'm just taking Kyle and contrasting where he was and where he is now. He seems way more confident.
Speaker 1: And everything he's doing, yeah, everything.
Speaker 4: So he seems much more commanding. He really he seemed. He was talking the other day about how there's various things he focused on the off season, and he says, I kind of even surprised myself how well all that stuff is going now in camp. And just as one example, he said, he he's six for five. That's prototype size for a quarter. That's an advantage you see over the line, you can see more of the field. And and he said, but I wasn't playing six foot five, right, He said, I tended to crouch too much, and I was taking that advantage away from us. So he when you're trying to stop doing something like that, it takes a while to unlearn the wrong.
Speaker 1: Way, right, As he said, he was playing.
Speaker 4: Tall, he's playing more tall now, yeah.
Speaker 1: Which I thought was an interesting thing and a great a great comment.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and he feels faster because he's kind of leaned up. He did and he lost some weight and just got leaner overall. And we've seen him out there take off on some movement plays and he looks like he's moving around. Well, all I'm saying is, right now, if you were if you were a doubter and didn't believe this was a true competition, even though the coaches kept saying, so you got you gotta believe at this point, sure, I'm telling you it seems extremely tight. Well, the games are probably gonna be the deciding factor.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. But the thing too is that Kyle Trask was underrated when he was in high school, underrated when he was in college. He's underrated right now, or or I say he was underrated because he proved to have success in high school and in college.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but he had to wait, he had to wait.
Speaker 1: And it's walk on. So now the question is is he be considered underrated? We won't know until he plays and and we live happily ever after. But I I feel good. I think we're in good shape either or Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean we don't know that yet. And again we're in the optimism part of this year right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I'm not here to tell you that I know that one guy or other is gonna win. He's gonna be great. I just think there's certainly reason for optimism. I could see this often succeeding with either either one, and I just think it's I think it's interesting that Kyle has done well.
Speaker 1: Enough that this because Baker clearly has.
Speaker 4: A huge edge in terms of experience, and even if last year was kind of a last year because just he got you know, had to move around the league and it didn't have his peak performances, we have a season on record from just a couple of years ago when he was healthy and he had a really nice season. So he has done it in the NFL.
Speaker 1: He has been knocked around, so he can he can withstand the storm if one comes.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think he's to the point now because he gets asked about this kind of thing right now and then right and he'll say, paraphrasing here, Yeah, I have a chip on my shoulder. I always have, but I'm also over it. Yeah, you know, I'm saying like, I'm not sitting here steing in disappointment.
Speaker 1: My my south Worth is not coming from what you guys are thinking, you being the media. I am comfortable with who I am. I know what I need to do to secure a job, and I'm gonna do what I can.
Speaker 4: So another guy that we can't stop talking about is Devin Tompkins.
Speaker 1: Oh, number ten.
Speaker 4: No, he's eighty three, eighty three Summer Trey Palmer, but he's had well.
Speaker 1: Trey Walmer's done very well too, But Devin.
Speaker 4: Okay, so he's listed as five eight on our roster. There is a healthy amount of skepticism, and that's accurate. So let's say he's five to seven.
Speaker 1: Maybe depending on what sneakers I keep tell you, he plays more like a guy who's six to two.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's a billion not only to leap very high, but to leap very high, to have incredible body control while he's in the air. Yes, has led to just a string of these amazing catches where he's either leaping very high. He had one where it was a fly and he actually was a little overthrown. He actually dived forward and caught the ball.
Speaker 1: Did he did?
Speaker 4: He dove it's dived.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, dived.
Speaker 4: Everybody says dove, but that's not correct. It should be dived.
Speaker 1: Just checking dive.
Speaker 4: He seems to make a play. In fact, that's what Kyle Trast said the other day, because Kyle wasn't the one who threw this pass. But two days ago he had another running down the sideline. The dB was right there, The DB's like four inches taller, and they both jump, but it's Devin that gets the ball and he has to like almost twist one hundred and degrees in the air towards the sideline to get to the ball, catches the ball, ansling ground, holds onto it, and Kyle was watching and he goes, yeah, I'm still wild by these plays, but but I'm kind of like he's doing it on the regular now. So I he said, he had in that moment a realization. He said, that's who this guy is. That's just what he does.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I haven't noticed it, but I am going to look. Does he have very long arms because that would make up the height difference if that's what you know.
Speaker 4: I don't. I don't think that's anything unusual.
Speaker 1: No, but he he is a ballhawk, no question.
Speaker 4: I think it's just leaping ability and and body control when he's in the air. And as coach Bole said, I think today or maybe yesterday, he has really good hands.
Speaker 1: Very good hands. He knows where the ball is going, so you gotta love that. What are you doing? What are you looking up?
Speaker 4: Devin Tompkins scouting report?
Speaker 1: Oh okay, what's it say?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Oh, not there yet. You're trying to make it happen.
Speaker 4: It doesn't look like him. I guess he didn't go to the combine. Maybe he did, because they don't usually. The first one that pops up is the Combine scouting report, the NFL dot com one, and it's not there, so I know where to find everything on those. Yeah, these are just various sites. He did have, is it? Oh yeah, he was in the ninety seven percentile on the broad jump. Wow, he was an eighty fourth percentile in the vertical leap, which was three eight and a half inches.
Speaker 1: Well there that explains it. Then in weight, what's he weigh?
Speaker 4: One and sixty seven is real? He is what he was in this scouting report, But he ran a four point three five forty h There's nothing here that I can see about his wingspan. Wow, that's what I was looking for, a wingspan. But I don't think it's anything out of the ordinary any case. Every single day. To me, he's made the team.
Speaker 1: Already, I would think so. I mean, he certainly is given the effort. I don't know.
Speaker 4: You know, we put up our first official unofficial depth chart today, and only because teams are required to for broadcasts in the week of the first game.
Speaker 1: I was just going to say it was something that I was perusing.
Speaker 4: Because otherwise, because otherwise a coach wouldn't put out a depth chart unless you twisted his arm to do so. But they were required to. And if you look at the wide receiver depth chart, obviously we're just raving about Mike and we could do the same about Chris and Russell Gage. Took him a little while to get started in this camp, but now he's running full speed. And when you see them send in their first group for eleven person now he's usually the guy joining Mike and Chris. Sometimes it's Devin Tompkins After that, your wide receivers that you're choosing.
Speaker 1: So that's three guys.
Speaker 4: We usually keep six, sometimes five, every now and then seven for a little while but let's just go a six. So you need to pick three more guys out of this group. Trey Palmer, the six round draft pick, David Moore, a veteran he picked up after the draft. Devin Tompkins. These four guys are all undrafted rookies for Keem Jarrett, Ryan Miller, Tay Barber, and Cade Warner Kayln Geiger left over from last year, and that would be it. So that's I should have named eleven guys there. So after the three main guys, there's virtually no experience here, right, and so some of these guys are gonna make it. Yeah, maybe up to three of them.
Speaker 1: What are your three?
Speaker 4: Well, Devin tom Because is one of them?
Speaker 1: Ye, that's mine.
Speaker 4: I think we keep Trey Palmer. He's a sixth round draft pick. He's more like a fifth round draft pick because we we already wanted to pick two other guys in sixth round, but then he was still sitting there. So Jason Light traded a fifth runner next year to get another pick to grab him because he was surprised he was still on the board.
Speaker 1: And I'm curious about your third because I got mine. Do you want me to say or do you want to tell you can say your sir, Rackeem Jarrett. I see, I was gonna go with Caid Warner.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think he's more probably gonna end up.
Speaker 1: On the practice squad. Yeah, but I think either or I think.
Speaker 4: Warner the son of pro football Hall of famers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he's making his own.
Speaker 4: Oh sure, yeah, he's doing well, pointing out Yeah that's true.
Speaker 1: I saw him too.
Speaker 4: Oh, Kurt Warner, do you guys know each other?
Speaker 1: Just he is in broadcasting and we kind of exchange things back and forth, you know, when you're up in the booth.
Speaker 4: Gotcha.
Speaker 1: But anyways, yeah, but it's a great selection.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Rakeem Jord is another rookie who's really He's made a lot of splash plays and so so coach has been asked about him more than once, and generally the answer comes out along the lines of, we know how athletic he is, we know how talent he is. He just has to learn the system and he has to show up in games.
Speaker 1: There you go, So we're back to we're back to how how are you doing games?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's that's basically answer for Actually we have to play the game. The kickers have looked good but they got to do it in the game.
Speaker 1: That's true. Everything changes when you in the game. What else you got?
Speaker 4: Well, one thing is I think that this look this draft class looks like it could be one of the better ones.
Speaker 1: And I am going to predict it is one of the better ones, and they'll stick.
Speaker 4: Going in order. Klijah Canty was looking great before he got hurt. Now he's about three weeks and a little less than three weeks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I noticed he didn't have a boot on. Took the boot off a couple of days ago. If he got like a sleeve.
Speaker 4: I overheard him confirming to somebody on the sideline. He's like, yeah, I got a like three three more weeks left, which was that we said four weeks and this was a weekend do it. So, but that gets him back well before the start.
Speaker 1: Of Sure Seas, and I hope they don't. I hope and they probably won't. I won't rush it because you want it, you want him to stay healthy.
Speaker 4: Just all in all, I think it'd probably be a little less impactful than the same injury that Vidaveas Effert early in his rookie camp, which really kept him out of all of camp, and he really kind of. He wasn't quite good to go at the start of the season, so his rookie season started out a little slow and eventually got into a groove. Cody Mock, Mauk looks great.
Speaker 1: You have to almost say it twice to get it. Well, it looks like it should be mock. Yeah, but it's MoU's.
Speaker 4: Mauk yea or mouch looks like it could be mouch.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think it's it's Mauch malk uh. So he looks like he's gonna be a quality starting from day one and right guard, I I like what ya.
Speaker 1: Ya dyab he's looked like really yes.
Speaker 4: He's got a lot of power. He's also just kind of seems like a really eager guy. He does like he's really out of the time.
Speaker 1: He's all in. No question, he's a little raw.
Speaker 4: He has to learn some moves, but he's shown a lot of power. Yeah, Payne Durham, I honestly, I don't really can't tell you.
Speaker 1: I got nothing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know what kind of camp he's having, but maybe the games will clarify a little bit. Uh, Dennis. Everybody loves not just what he's done on the field, but also I mean on off defense, but also he's apparently playing on like every special team serion.
Speaker 1: Yes, and he's really good in interviews, he's very good.
Speaker 4: He seems like a really smart guy. Josh Hayes seems like very competitive. He's in the he's in the competition for the nickel slot, the nickel corner job. Trey Palmer we talked about. He's actually got a decent number of good reviews from the factory. Shows a lot of speed. Jose Ramirez is another guy that I haven't heard a ton about, but they have noted that he's he really he seems to be like a kind of a natural pass rusher, kind of the way Shack is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think too is like, you know, guys that have to make the team by being on special teams. You don't see it until the games because there's really not a whole lot of I mean, there's formations and special teams in training camp, but not real.
Speaker 4: When they when they do special teams practices, they kind of stand there and they run ten yards.
Speaker 1: And they don't even kick the ball throw it. I don't understand this. Are they saving the leg I don't know.
Speaker 4: But there's two kickers. That's the whole point.
Speaker 1: Have you seen them punt.
Speaker 4: Not hardly at all, But I'll have also aid in their kickers, the place kickers. Two times in the last week or so, they've run a couple of drills where it's that you have to get on the field real quick and one guy. It's cool because one guy is clearly designated to do the countdown of the clock. So you here one guy going eight seven as they're all getting lined up. And so the whole the whole idea is you just down the ball and you got to rush for field going union and quickly. You can't ca all the time out. You got to get this thing off in like ten seconds, because that's that's gonna happen at some point, sure, and so you have to practice it. And then they do the whole operation. And then they don't kick the ball. I mean, why not just kick the ball? You did everything up to that point. The kicker even comes up and fains the kick. I don't know. I we should ask Keith, because I'm sure there's a good reason. But I was standing with somebody else, I'm like, why don't they just kick kick out?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: They did everything else.
Speaker 1: I don't. I don't get it.
Speaker 4: Some lily kid just hit a home run.
Speaker 3: Yeah uh.
Speaker 4: And talking about the rookies, I would I would suspect that all of those draft picks are gonna make it. That's a lot. That's eight guys, but I think I think you're gonna see good two, three, four undrafted guys. Yeah, undrafted rookies. We've Sean Tucker. If they keep four running backs is almost certainly he's the fourth.
Speaker 1: Yeah uh.
Speaker 4: I talked about Rackeem Jarrett Christian Izzian. That's a safety from Rutgers. Yea, And they mentioned him right away as one of the guys. One of the five players they were considering is the nickel corner guy. And I'm like, that's cool, But I really didn't think that an undrafted rookie safety was going to win that job. But he's getting That was brought to the attention of Todd Bowles after one of these practices, and he goes, I don't don't read too much into who's getting reps with for second and thirdeen. Okay, I believe you, coach, But when we get to the games, if he's out there getting the first team reps with the first team defense. That's that says something so christian is he in? Indeed, Delaney, you're confused by that.
Speaker 1: Don't take too much into it. I guess I hear you.
Speaker 4: I feel somewhat the same way.
Speaker 1: That was my outside voice, wasn't it continue?
Speaker 4: So, uh, he seems like a really good He's listed to second and one of the safety spots. I think he's got a great shot at making the roster. Yeah, he's pretty good on special teams as all. They say he's a great gunner. Maybe another rookie safety like Keevon Merriweather or ke Drick Whitehead. I just think you're gonna see ten to twelve rookies on this fifty three man roster.
Speaker 1: I honestly believe this is going to be a I mean, Jason Light's been here now ten years. This could end up being his best draft.
Speaker 4: Well that's saying a lot, because he had a couple of really nice.
Speaker 1: Really good But I really really think that all those DB's that we got m h. And that's what happens when you keep your front office together for as long. So if it's this turns out to be true, then it really plays into it really helps when you're not moving people in and out all the time.
Speaker 4: Every draft you draft for ten years, some of it's gonna be a crap shooting. Oh yeah, we're gonna hit and you're gonna miss.
Speaker 1: Sure.
Speaker 4: I think Jason's had a really nice track record for the last what a half decade or so.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, and I think he also said it too. This is truly the first quarterback competition that we have witnessed in ten years, because you pretty much knew who it was going to be. Wednesday was the last one we had. I think it was. I don't know, well, was Josh Freeman in his rookie year. I don't think he really was in the.
Speaker 4: They didn't really give him much consideration to start the season.
Speaker 1: They were great to Byron left which and Josh McCown. That was was that.
Speaker 4: Josh McCown was twenty fourteen, and yeah, he just came in and was one starter. And then we drafted Glennon. Well, Glennon maybe there was you know, Josh was Chiano's first year. We did not think that there was a quarterback competition, but because Josh Freeman seemed like the entrench starter, correct, but he only held that Jeff for like three weeks. Yeah, he came clear that that Sheiana liked Glennon. So maybe there was more of a competition going on there than we thought true. So that was that what twenty twelve, I think I forget those years, but outright competition that everybody knew what was going on. What back to maybe like Chris Simms versus Brad Johnson.
Speaker 1: Oh, Chris Sims. I saw Chris. It was great. We had a great chat. I always give him a hard time, a hard time about his appearances. Well he does the PFT and NBC. Yeah, it's like for him, it is and I wonderful guy. I said to my god, do you remember when we were in New England? And he goes, yeah, and I was starting to do this and you said you just got to stay with it. And he's got like a steel trap. He remembers everybody's yes, yes, and very gracious. I will say, all right, what you got?
Speaker 4: I got one more thing? Anything you want to talk about or s we're doing.
Speaker 1: We're doing well, we're on a roll.
Speaker 4: Just one thing that I wanted to sort of an overarching topic.
Speaker 1: Overarching topic, Well, it's.
Speaker 4: It's been hit in several different ways, and that is I think, and this is a very good development. There's been a lot of good movement in recent years on how a athletes treat the importance of mental and emotional well being and how they're accepted for doing so.
Speaker 1: You must have been reading my mind because I was thinking, we're going to talk about Tristan. I got four examples, Okay.
Speaker 4: The first one to me was when Shaq Barrett was talking there and tragically, if anybody is not aware, the Barretts him and his wife Jordan, and they have three other kids and one on the way. Wonderfully, Yes, their two year old daughter, Ariyah, there was an accident. She drowned in that pool family pot. Yes, this is like in May, April or May.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right in that area.
Speaker 4: It is. It is obviously goes without saying that that's devastating. That would be devastating for any parent. And there's no way that even now months later, that is not just hitting them incredibly hard all the time.
Speaker 1: My perspective on that is, I don't necessarily know if you get over the grief. I think you just live with it. You learn how to live with it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and time helps a lot, and they're they're not nearly far to not be totally raw, and he said coming.
Speaker 1: To work helps.
Speaker 4: Yes, He's like, it allows me to think about other things wrong, because believe me, I got plenty of time at home work and I'm just sitting there and you know what I'm thinking about. Yeah, And they started a foundation.
Speaker 1: How wonderful is that?
Speaker 4: And it's going to be a number of things to help this kind of tragedy not happen in other families, like swimming lessons, alarms or.
Speaker 1: Alarm systems, better gating, things of that nature.
Speaker 4: So he made it clear, he's like, yeah, we have to help each other, and we have bad days and we have bad moments, but that's life. Of course you have. It's not wrong to feel this way, correct. So what I think they're getting away from is the idea of especially a professional athlete, has to be so strong that if they're showing their emotion they're weak.
Speaker 1: They're weak.
Speaker 4: And then we get Ryan Jensen who had the horrible knee injury a year ago and he was actually at the podium on the exact year anniversary of it happening.
Speaker 1: Uh huh.
Speaker 4: It led to a very very long rehab process of Frankly is still going on. And he told us that this is Ryan Jensen who is on the field.
Speaker 1: He's the toughest guy on the field, you.
Speaker 4: Got it, and no prisoners taken, no holds barred. Uh. And he's also like what six five and three pounds in ye. Yeah, he's intimidating, looking very and he said there were days that were hard during this process, like, for instance, I think he had ten days in Indianapolis alone without his family when he was getting the correct regenerative regenerative treatment. And he said, there are days where I just broke down and stopped. Sure, he said, but that's okay, that's okay, and that's the important part of the message.
Speaker 1: And he got all choked up when they were talking to what was the hottest, hardest part And the hardest part was telling his son that he couldn't go out to play, who was only five years old, and it really struck him. And it was interesting because he goes, I'm sorry. And what I liked is all the media went, it's okay. You know, it's fine.
Speaker 4: You also know if you've been through anything like this, like what Shack went through, or anything that's so emotionally tough, that people tend to believe that you don't want to talk about it, when in most cases you're more than happy to talk about it. I can I guess I can't go so far as say guarantee you, but I would strongly suspect that Shaq would be happy to talk about his daughter, right because it's so special. Sure, so he gets to say again, what a wonderful person this was. So then we have Tristan Worf's. Tristan Wurfs is the poster boy for immediate NFL success.
Speaker 1: No question. First, Jeers does well, win Super Bowl, plays with Tom.
Speaker 4: Brady, he gives up one sack all season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have his first round pick, immediate.
Speaker 4: Starter, fantastic player from day one, wins a Super Bowl, Pro Bowl, first Team All Pro, another Pro Bowl.
Speaker 1: He did a whole he did a ten year career in one year.
Speaker 4: And he's just without break from the moment he was drafted to now he's been a phenomenal player. So it is so surprising or illuminating to hear him say. And this came up because he was asked about his switch to left tackle. When he started doing that in the spring, he started experience a lot of self doubt and a lot of negative self talk and a lot of I can't do this, I'm going to ruin this. I'm not going to be able to do what my team needs me to do. These are the things he's telling himself when he's alone in his.
Speaker 1: Apartment, our house, private moment, to.
Speaker 4: The point that he felt he had to seek out help from the team psychologist, who did help him quite a bit. And he says, even now, I'm not saying because somebody said, so, you've gotten past the negative thoughts.
Speaker 1: He said, well, they haven't really subsided.
Speaker 4: I've just been able to have more positive thoughts and kind of try to turn the negatives into positive.
Speaker 1: And you can you can totally understand why, because he's had so much succest on the success on the right side. Moving to the left side, it's very, very difficult, and everyone's expecting him, well, it's Tristan, it's going to be easy. He's really good, and he's internalizing, like everybody's expecting me to be really good? What happens if I'm not?
Speaker 4: Or And that's the kind of stuff he's subjecting himself in his mind all the time.
Speaker 1: And I think it's really cool that that we have that type of assistance on the team.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I think it's probably pretty standard these days, but it wasn't just a few years ago. No, But he even then at some point said that he had these doubts before his rookie year and early in his rookie year. And that's what I'm saying. I don't think we understand probably how high of a percentage it is of players who have to deal with that kind of shying, and probably some of them end up dealing with it better than others, and that is a part of their story of whether they're successful or not. And to put an emphasis on that. Finally, my last part of this example here is Ronda in his speech, in his Hall of Fame speech tells us he mentioned having a crisis of confidence. He wasn't very good as a rookie. He couldn't get on the field, and even in his if you look back at his career, his second year in ninety eight was pretty good. He started making all scored a couple of touchdowns, started making all these big plays that we now know him for. But he said, even then, when I started getting playing time, I was just praying that Rich McKay, the general manager, wouldn't come cut me.
Speaker 1: It got close the first year. I mean the third round draft pick.
Speaker 4: You know, if he.
Speaker 1: Was a sixth round draft pick, he wouldn't have I don't think he would have held in there, because no one, once you do it, you you don't want to have a third round pick and not succeed the first year. A couple of years. Yeah, yeah, you're gonna give it a little more juice to that. But yeah, but.
Speaker 4: Monde Barber going in the Hall of Time and he said, a lot of guys deal with that, So sure, that's I guess the overall point I'm trying to make is when you look at these guys, remember that a lot of them there's a lot of pressure, there's a lot of there's a lot of difficulty dealing with the mental side of the game and the emotions of what they're trying to do. And anybody, any human that is faced with a very difficult task, it's not unnatural for them to have thoughts of doubt.
Speaker 1: Sure, and sometimes it's not not sometimes it's always best. You can have your thoughts and they can roll around in your head, but until you say them out loud, that's when you really begin to express because you're hearing it. When it stays in your head, you can get it mumble jumble.
Speaker 4: And the important part is athletes are now far more in court encouraged to find somebody to talk to.
Speaker 1: I think all people should be encouraged.
Speaker 4: Of course, of course I agree. I'm just saying in this particular case, you don't think of players as ones that are going to need a kind of help, and a lot of them find a deal and then it's helpful.
Speaker 1: Sure, And I think it's you know, different phases of your life where you can utilize that and grow with it. So now that's a good point.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm starting to experience some doubt whether I'm going to be able to do a good interview of Dave Canalis because I've been looking forward to this for quite some time.
Speaker 1: I hope you don't forget your notes.
Speaker 4: That's a inside joke, Okay, So let's get to that. I think we've covered enough of what's going on in camp and we're excited about that. So we're gonna go get Dave. We're gonna do that interview, and then stick around after that because our third segment will be answering your questions, when we'll be right back.
Speaker 1: The Salty Dogs.
Speaker 4: Back here on the Salty Dogs Podcast. I'm Scott Smith and I am Jeff Ryan, and now we have with us our very special guests and our first guest of the year.
Speaker 1: So I know, maybe you should be honored, we should be honored.
Speaker 4: Probably Dave Canalis, the Buccaner's new offensive coordinator, thank you for joining us today.
Speaker 3: Eh, guys, thanks for having me. I'm excited to just kind of keep poking my head around the building. Yeah, into different spots.
Speaker 1: Well, as you can see, we have a very large studio here at the Health Training Center. We do all TV shows in here, right I think the media left the door open, and seriously and they didn't close it.
Speaker 4: Let's get to it because mister Canos has a very busy schedule and we don't want to keep them too long. We want to talk to you a lot about football x's and o's of stuff, but before that, welcome to Tampa. How have you acclimated to the area. I know you have the the Izig family support system. What do you think so far?
Speaker 3: Oh? We love it and so uh you know, Brad adopted us, so he took he took my wife Lizzie and and the four kids, all of us and our dog, our giant dog, showgun.
Speaker 1: What kind of dog.
Speaker 3: He's a Presa Canario.
Speaker 4: I have no idea what.
Speaker 3: It's a very similar to cane Corso Corso.
Speaker 1: I keep going, yea, so that one either half a pony, yeah talking about we're.
Speaker 3: Talking like mass stiff. So he's handsome. He's a great dog. But anyway, Brad took us in and really early on, you know, we were run John and Carrol Izick. They were inviting us very very well, yes, and so they're fantastic, invited us over the house. I couldn't get my kids out of their swimming pool. They got a beautiful place out in a lake tarpin. But we stayed here this summer, so just under five weeks in Tampa. You know, we were debating. We had some traditions we did in the Northwest and in southern California where I'm from. But my wife and I just said, you know, let's just sink roots here. So we just went. We went to Clearwater three times there. We went to h C. S to Key. We were at grill, yeah, passa grill right there, Saint Pete Beach, that whole area and then made our way as far down as Anna Maria Island.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 3: So my daughter be had, she's turned seven, so I took her on her seven year adventure.
Speaker 1: That's what I wanted to ask you about that. I think it's very very cool that every year it's one of the kids get to go with you and just you and them. Yeah, great bonding experience.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I stole the idea from a Christian writer named John Eldridge and his famous book is Wild at Heart. And anyhow, I read one of his books on family and he talked about taking his sons when they turned seven on a seven year adventure. So I started it with Ashby who's now thirteen. Then Ben, who's eleven. Ashby and I went to Kawai thanks to Russell Wilson.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: So Russell Christmas gift first class tickets anywhere. So he was the Chief Flying Actor Officer for Delta Airlines, so he was their CFO, chief football officer. That's what it was. And anyway, so I took her there. Ben and I went on a fly fishing camping trip out in Washington, which was so much fun. And me and I went to Anna Maria Island. She's really interested in shells, marine life, the place to go, they got an aquarium, the pier down there. We had a fantastic time, and really I put it in their court and say, hey, you have to order your own food. Here's the budget. Okay, so we have this much money. We can do this, or we can do this, but that's it, you know. So getting them to make decisions and trying to really build confidence and independence in them very cool.
Speaker 1: So when you turn fourteen, do you get another era?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh so I thought I was being a smart button.
Speaker 3: No, So mom takes them fourteen, So we haven't had any of those yet. Next yearay, and then the two of us will take them at twenty one, which will probably the end of college if they choose college or at that point. Basically like hey, look the world is at your disposal. Where do you want to go? And it'll be the three of us and we'll do something fun and just trying to give them culture and uh and really create that independence.
Speaker 4: Very should I do that with Alex? Yeah, my son's twenty. You're going into his junior year at Georgia Tech.
Speaker 3: Oh nice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so we'll see where that leads him. Okay, I really I don't want to take too much your time, So can we dive into football? Absolutely?
Speaker 1: Scott worries about everybody's time.
Speaker 4: Me.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna hold you just this. I can't.
Speaker 3: We're good all that.
Speaker 1: We've been around for a while.
Speaker 4: That's why we're called the salty Dogs. We've seen a lot of football, and we think we know football relatively well. But we also know that it's impossible for us to know football.
Speaker 1: To the detail that of football coach.
Speaker 4: An NFL coach has to So your depth of knowledge is far greater than ours. So when we cover football, we tend to use a lot of generalities. Yeah, especially because the fans are kind of in the same place we are.
Speaker 1: So the generality here would.
Speaker 4: Be Dave Caws comes from Seattle working under Shane Waldron, who came from the Rams. So we look at what Seattle did. Is that in a broader sense? Is that fair for us to go let's look at what Seattle did. We're going to see a lot of those elements here.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, absolutely. And you know, with with plays and systems changing, the philosophy is the same. And that is where Coach Bowles and I really connected in the interview process. Was on this philosophy of how to play football that Pete had trained us and raised us up in. So a lot of that will be very similar there. And then in specifics in terms of plays, it's a combination of things that we evolved to over the course of thirteen years in Seattle with my time there with four different coordinators and the bulk of it of course being Russell Wilson. So a lot of the things that I that we saw success with, we're just going to incorporate into our system. And then this whole other flavor that Shane Waldron's influence coming from La just a sophistication of how you present these things is really been huge for my career in the last two years learning that.
Speaker 4: And you say specifics, I look at Seattle last year, your usage of two tight end twelve personnel, Yeah, twenty nine virtually double what we did last year.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Is that the kind of thing we'll see more of.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And I think one thing that will help you guys too, is just as you look at personnel usage and formation types, if you go through and you eliminate third downs, Okay, eliminate third downs and then eliminate two minutes before the half or two minutes before the end of game. Then you'll reduce a lot of those eleven personnel, ten personnel, lighter, more receiver formations, and if you look at it in a snapshot of first and second down, you'll really get a better picture of how people are utilizing and deploying tight ends or other personnels.
Speaker 4: So I can do that by the way, they can manifit the stats and see what they are.
Speaker 3: It'll it'll be, it'll be, it'll be way more fair. And in terms of run past, you know, raceires, because you're going to get into those situations if you're down two scores or if you're in a two minute drill, most of it's passed.
Speaker 4: So non special cat basically exactly know.
Speaker 3: And the way we talk upstairs is just say first and second down, no situations, okay, so no specific situation is just normal ball, and then you get a real snapshot of what that core system would look like for ours, for anybody you.
Speaker 4: Also Seattle also last year seventeen point one percent of the quarterback throws were on the run. Yeah, means they're running more than eight miles per hour. I assume some of that was designed with Tom Brady Ours was three percent, and it was a begrudging three percent. I think. So everybody's talking about how your offense has a lot of quarterback movement, and so this is this is a stat that we can hang our head on.
Speaker 3: There, absolutely and same same deal, same metric. Person, you know, if you employ that, if you employ that to that, to those numbers, then you'll see it'll be even higher than that, you know. And really it's just that the marriage of the run and pass, you know. And that's a kind of a sound bite and a buzz buzzword that we use a lot, but it really is true. You get the quarterback on the move and it helps you on the backside of runs keeping the defense.
Speaker 4: Honest, Okay, that makes sense. I'm go ahead. Well, I feel like I'm dominating a guy a lot of numbers here.
Speaker 1: I got to get Scott. You had to run upstairs to get your notes, Dave, and I will sit here and let you go ahead.
Speaker 4: How do you get about He's all about I want to understand. I want to understand the game, Jeff.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 4: So you said the other day that two point seven seconds after the snap to the release is your optimal number. Oh, yeah, how do you how did you get to that number?
Speaker 3: Just over time? Just you know, really, Coach Carol was a stickler about us keeping the clock on our quarterbacks. So one of our analysts was keeping track of how long it was to the release of the ball on all of our passes, whether it was seven on seven, red zone or any of our play actions, to keep track of those things. And the two point seven ended up being like a nice average for a well timed, well delivered, and quick decision in a pass play. Once you get above three seconds, you know, that's where the pockets start to deteriorate, you know, and that's where you know, just a lot of the the d line movement really starts to have an effect on the quarterbacks. If you can make a past decision before that, then generally you're playing pretty clean.
Speaker 4: And with two point seven seconds. Okay, so a little bit of history here. Last year the offensive line was a little bit up and down because there's a lot of you know, retirements and injuries and so on, and so Tom Brady in the end of his career, the greatest player of all time. Obviously there's nothing negative being said here, but he just he did I don't think he wanted to take sacks or move around a whole lot. So I think the ball is getting out in two point four to two point five seconds, and we wonder does that hinder the opportunities to get the ball downfield to Mike Evans and Chris Gottwin. But in two point seven seconds, you could still get the ball downfield, right?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Absolutely? So the average go ball last year in the NFL was about two point five seconds. Really, yeah, and even got that or oh that's great.
Speaker 1: You're gonna use that on game day? Okay, go ahead, And.
Speaker 3: Some teams are even quicker than that, you know, studying the Cincinnati Bengals, some of their some of their vertical balls outside got up in two point two or two point three.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: Okay, So what you're saying is the ball is out of his hands, is not necessarily in the receiver's heads in two point three?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Did you just figure that out?
Speaker 3: Yeah? And from a quarterback standpoint, he doesn't care when they catch it as long as that ball's gone, and then they start chasing him anymore.
Speaker 1: When it's interesting. Mike Evans made a comment that he after seeing your offense, he said that he saw some plays he's never seen before us our routes and so to me, yeah, which to me, yeah, here's a guy that's been in the league ten years. How many offensive coordinators has he been through here? Plenty? Right, So where does this new routes come from?
Speaker 3: Maybe the nature of it is just you know, being able to put him in unique spots information and so when he goes to these different places in a formation, he may take on the personality from a route standpoint of a tight end or of a slot receiver or a single x like he's been his whole career, you know, up to this point. So when you're in there, it could have been the same concept he might have been running before, but that actual route is something that maybe he hasn't done a lot. And I'll just tell you he can do it all.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So that's you know, that's been fun for us. And then of course just always trying to push the envelope and just ten or fifteen percent of research and development just trying to go, hey, this is really cool that so and so tried, let's see if Mike can do it.
Speaker 4: You know, so you're probably a lot of it.
Speaker 3: Yes, So, and that's also that Okay, now how can we.
Speaker 1: So how exciting is it for you to be able to look at the personnel that's here when you're walking in the door and say, these are the toys that I get to play with.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's that's part of the that's part of this process that I know that we've we've we've been kind of people aren't really giving us a lot of pre season praise, but correct, well, just.
Speaker 1: Be honest about it. They're not giving us a chance at all.
Speaker 3: Right, And so I come into this interview process and I go, you mean to tell me those if I get this job, those are my two primary receivers, and Chris and Mike and Kate Aughton, who I really liked, you know, being at U dub right there and we're we're right down the street. And Rashad White, you know, and Keishawn Vaughan, who you know, followed his career, you know, passively, and then you know, the offensive line and the pieces that are already there. I just I just couldn't understand how there wasn't more excitement around the potential of this offense. And so I'm very excited about these guys.
Speaker 4: Russell Gauge another nice piece.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, absolutely not to Oh.
Speaker 4: No, I didn't mean that. He said the other day that, HARKing back to his days with the Falcons, that he felt some he felt like you saw some similarities in your offense to Kyle shanahan offense. I don't know how that connection is made. Do you see any of that?
Speaker 3: Well, Kyle had a huge influence on Sean McVay. Okay, so they were, they were in Washington together for a couple of years, and they did a fantastic job together. So there is this trickle down effect of people that have come out of this offensive tree. So there's some similarities, yes, Okay.
Speaker 4: The old storyline about Kyle Shannon and how well they've done in San Francisco is and even with some quarterbacks like brock Party that you wouldn't necessarily expect to be so successful. Is that they do a great job of scheming guys wide open. And I have heard several guys at the microphone during training camp saying I'm wide open. They're getting me wide open. So is that sort of what maybe Russell's trying to say that they're doing a good job. You're doing a good job, and you guys are doing a good job of scheming guys open, I would hope, so.
Speaker 3: I would hope we're trying to you know, if it comes down to a mono amano matchup consistently and ball as coaches, you're not trying hard enough, you know, if you're just relying on the talent and the skill level of your players, obviously that's what takes us as far as we can go. But from a basic level, that's too hard, you know, that's really straining on the players, whether it's in the run game or the pass game. So whatever we can do to help them get free access to their releases, whatever we can do to help them in the run game to execute their blocks, we try to do that to make it a little bit easier.
Speaker 1: Are you going to be on the field or up in the booth?
Speaker 3: I'll be on the field, Okay, Yeah, very important this year, especially trying to figure out the quarterback situation, which is going fantastic better than I can even better than I could have imagined or even dreamed of the way that this is going. And so being on the field to allow me to be connected with those guys, especially through the preseason, to really see them. EBB and flow in the course of a game.
Speaker 4: Nobody cares more right now about the Buccaneers than the quarterback competition. So can you just give us a quick update on how each bike Baker and we're not selling John Woolford Shore, but I think this is being billed as a competition between Kyle Trask and Baker Mayfield. So just you said it's going fantastic, can you give us an idea how each of those two guys are doing what they're doing well?
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely. So. What Baker does well is his experience allows him to see things and to anticipate. And what I'm seeing from Kyle in that regard is I'm seeing a guy who's working tirelessly, studying, asking questions. Kyle wants it to be crystal clear. Okay, let's go over this one more time. And so as he catches up with the concepts, you see his talent really starting to emerge. You got two fantastic guys with really strong arms, great quick decision making ability, and pretty good athletes, both of them. You know, obviously I was spoiled having Russell and then Gino Smith, two guys who you know, traditionally could really run and move around where these guys get it done another way, but short space quickness, both of them can get it done. So watching those guys really push each other as we try to master this offense has been so cool.
Speaker 4: They've been very gracious with your time. Let's ask one more question each well.
Speaker 1: I was just curious, do you have to depending on what quarterback where you have to change your game calling plays during a game depending on which one of those guys are in or are you comfortable with both?
Speaker 3: I would say slightly, And it's really just a level of comfort that they have with past concepts, so they just may favor one or the other. So that's just taking notes and having really the best thing to do in the preseason just have two separate call sheets for guys so you don't have to filter through all of them. Okay, but I would say seventy five percent of it. They're all three guys, you know, John included have really mastered most of that and there's just a few things that he doesn't really like or I can tell is not being really effective in and those things will just like, all right, it's not call those plays in those situations.
Speaker 1: So what's the one thing you have to remember just one more. Don't give me that.
Speaker 3: Look, Oh, I got time.
Speaker 1: We're good, he's good.
Speaker 3: We're all set and organized for tomorrow. Guys. So the thing you're holding me back from is a a timeline order Marvel Movies marathon that we're doing with the family right now.
Speaker 1: Well, we won't take much time.
Speaker 3: I mean we've been rolling over summer. Uh we just watched ant Man, so which everyone comes after? I can't remember what.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I'm not either. Okay, you're gonna go to the stadium. You haven't been there? Have you been at Raymond James Stadium?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I've been there a couple of times. Okay, So what is the one thing you got to remember on game day? The call sheet? Fair enough? Fair enough?
Speaker 3: I think I can get it done with anything else not being there.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you'll be good any anywhere else.
Speaker 4: The equipment guys will take care of him if he forgets anything.
Speaker 1: Well, there's that too. So when do you think you're gonna really feel like it's just football? Because this is this it's a preseason game, but you are getting your feet wet of actually calling a game. And we spoke a little bit when Scott was running upstairs calling bringing up Well, it's called being prepared. So you mentioned calling plays throughout a whole game. Yeah, what do you what? What is that thought process? Yeah?
Speaker 3: So I think what I'm learning through these practices and Coach Bowls has done a fantastic job of creating some longer call it scenarios, especially a training camp six we did at in the evening at six pm, you know, so we had a couple of drills and then hopped into that later on a training camp day and then had some long call it periods. I'm realizing there is an element of mental endurance that's required, not just physical endurance, but just to be able to like your eyes are being back and forth from this section to that section to this section. So just knowing that I'm gonna need that kind of reps, those kind of workouts in the preseason to finish and call a whole game. And then beyond that, just I think you talked about, you know, bringing making it feel more normal. I think once we actually sit down as a staff and do our like a mock game plan a couple of days where we're prepping, we're meeting, we're taking this big list and honing it. I think that's when I'll start to really feel like, here we go, just football, three season football.
Speaker 4: I was gonna that was gonna be my last question about the call period. So if any fans listening don't know what that means. I think in most years, most full teen periods in training camp are scripted, scripted plays, right, might be eighteen, might be twelve, whatever. But in these they're not scripted, and you're calling them as we go. Yeah, so that obviously has been something you've enjoyed and gotten great value out of, right, absolutely, So my last question instead, will we were talking about what you might bring from Seattle and what we might be seeing when it comes to the run game, which is obviously a big area that the Buccaneers need of improvement from the last few years. Is it accurate to call this mid zone wide zone stretched sort of horizontally and hit a gap kind of running game, is right? So I know you would probably do.
Speaker 3: It all, right, Yes, So I think that the cool part is that just introducing a little bit of mid zone, And I think what we have to give credit to is Joe Gilbert and yeah, great coach Harold Goodwin, who's our run game coordinator assistant head coach, Like between Goody and Joe, they've blocked every single run. I can't come up with. I cannot come up with a run, and they're like, oh yeah, do this, do this yep exactly, And so there isn't anything that they haven't done, and so I think bringing in mid zone but it's very similar to wide zone. There are there are small changes in it. But I think the coolest part for me has been coming here and learning more about gap schemes, pin and poll schemes. Different We ran a lot of duo as well, but nobody, nobody has done it better than Goodie and you know, coach coach arians, you know, over the over the course of years. We saw it firsthand for for years. But I think just for myself, just learning the ins and outs of his run game has been like it's cool. It's new to me, you know, and so I kind of geek out on that stuff. Walk through, He'll stop it and like, I wonder what happened here? He starts to adjust these two linemen and it's like, okay, sweet, this is cool. So just continuing to you know, expand my my information that I have from a football.
Speaker 4: So for for football fans who might not understand all the terminology, it zone would be sort of like linemen moving in tandem, horizontal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, zone blocking schemes like full one direction you know, yep, outside in one gap, out of time.
Speaker 1: So you are very excited about our running backs because that's also been a big conversation.
Speaker 3: I you know, it's a great room, so you know Rashad. I expect huge things from Rashad, not just in the run game, but also the past game. He's so versatile. He's really a special talent. Keishan Vaughan has a real style to him, jump cut, slasher type. Chase Chase Edmonds is like shot out of a cannon, fast, aggressive, I mean, just really exciting to watch him. Sean Tucker from Syracuse the rookie, he's trying to send a message every day. He comes out there and he's running hard and he hits the hole. And then Patrick patrick Lair. Patrick Lair does everything right, you know, and he ran one of the best mid zones that we've had in camp today just today. You know, just the patience of it, staying in phase with the center and hitting the gaps the way that it was supposed to be. It was so clean. And then Ronnie Brown, We're gonna see a lot of in the pre season and he's gonna he's gonna get those late games carries and those are always my favorite guys because he's got a lot of carries in his career. So just Earnest Graham just being able to like showcase you know what he can do. So I'm really excited about the running back.
Speaker 4: For Bucks fans. This is what it's like when when Dave Can does a podium interview, they ask my position. Well, he literally mentions, here's here every single I don't know how you can remember.
Speaker 1: Well, what I was gonna tell Dave was listen. I don't have a clock on you, so you can talk as long as you and he knows what I'm talking.
Speaker 4: The other day when you somebody asks you about the receivers and you literally I study this stuff all the time, and I doubt that I could have immediately recalled all eleven names.
Speaker 1: No, but it's what's amazing to you. What's amazing is Dave sitting here and he has zero paperwork. He is just you know, I've seen I I won't say who, but but I've seen coaches have a flip chart.
Speaker 4: If they didn't or they just say numbers number eleven.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if they didn't have flip chart, they couldn't tell me anything, which always made me a little nervous.
Speaker 3: But there are there are guys, you know, And I think that as we get to know him, having a spring and then having you know, ten practices now through camp, you really get to see what guys can do. And I think that I was trained in Seattle. I was trained to find what they can do and put them in situations to do that. And just the coaches, the head coaches and offensive coordinators who I admire from AFAR, it seems like their offense morphs into their talent and what they do well, and it's like, oh, yeah, he would They should totally do that play with this guy.
Speaker 4: So like Andy Reid making that offense. Yeah, he's the one.
Speaker 3: He's exactly what I'm talking about, you know. And and also you know Josh McDaniels and watching him with whatever personnel he was given in New England and now in Vegas, he found a way to go, Okay, these are my best people. Here's a package of plays that come with it, you know, And so just learning from all these eyes, of course, Kyle Shannan and Sean McVay.
Speaker 4: And it'll be interesting to see if Shane Stikeen is like that in Indy. I feel like he was that kind of guy in Philadelphia.
Speaker 3: I bet.
Speaker 4: Anyway, Dave, thank you so much. We kept you longer.
Speaker 1: I'm cranked up.
Speaker 3: I'm ready to guys, ready, and I'm getting all my talking. So I get home and.
Speaker 4: I'll just to to Captain America Civil War.
Speaker 3: Perhaps, you know what, I think that that.
Speaker 4: Would be the most ridiculous pull of all time because I don't know these movies. If we google it, I have seen maybe two Marvel movies.
Speaker 1: Ever, those are those are what I call airplane.
Speaker 4: But he's gonna find I know. Can you imagine If I got.
Speaker 1: That right, I'll never live it down.
Speaker 3: I timeline order.
Speaker 1: Okay, so there you're actually watching them.
Speaker 3: In Captain America. Okay, they were all the way to Avengers. Okay, then we just watched man. Give me the list?
Speaker 4: Come on, come on, fingers crossed, where's the list? This could be my podcast.
Speaker 1: People are yelling right now what it is?
Speaker 3: A man? And then the next one after ant Man is Captain America Civil War. That's unbelievable because there's like ten or eleven more after that.
Speaker 4: Oh, my greatest podcast would have all Wow, thanks to David.
Speaker 1: I shut three quarter off. Well, thank you, Dave. Good luck. I appreciate it. Thank you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right, thank you, and we're done well, but fans stay tuned. We're gonna come back and we're going to answer fans questions for our.
Speaker 1: Friends, like thank you the Salty Dogs.
Speaker 4: And we're back here one more time on the Salty Dogs Podcast, our first one of the season of twenty three.
Speaker 1: Wow. We we have set the bar very high. Yes right, oh man, you gotta start slow, but no, not us. We're right out of the gate.
Speaker 4: I kept saying, we got to get him out of here, and You're like, it's fine, it's fine, and he said, it's fine.
Speaker 1: I know you're very respectful of people's time, and so am I. But what I what I do is I watch body language. I was having this discussion earlier today. We had Coach on different radio stations and you know, I put a clock on it and I'm watching it and h he was on our flagship station, ninety eight Rock, and they're not their morning show's personality, it's lifestyle things of that. Dus Not had course sports and they had Todd laughing and even they even got him to say to scream go Bucks during that was who it was. That was him who yelled go Bucks.
Speaker 4: Because it was right next to our press conferences that were going on.
Speaker 1: Yes, and he he looked around, he paused, and then he then he yelled go Bucks. And so what I was watching was his body language of he was comfortable. He wasn't. You know, You know it as well as I do. If you watch coaches players when they want to wrap up an interview, you get if you're paying attention, you're going to notice.
Speaker 4: If you're the interviewer, Yeah, you need to be able to notice that thing.
Speaker 1: But I think Dave would have stayed there all night with us personally.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that wouldn't have been fairly. Remember as he said, you need to get home and watch that movie. And how about me pulling up the movie?
Speaker 1: Is I know nothing about Marvel Listen, it bans me. But I gotta give you props because I got nothing on it. And you you truly and you did not google or anything. You just you just blurted.
Speaker 4: I thought, of, to be quite honest with.
Speaker 1: You, But why would you think of that. I could have sat there for ten years and never thought I could have easily said.
Speaker 4: Are Spider Man or those Marvel movies?
Speaker 1: I you're I don't know.
Speaker 4: I I uh, yeah, I think they are because I think Venom's a Marvel movie and that's an offshoot of Spider Man. I saw that one.
Speaker 1: Listen the movies I watch. You tell me, hey, you need to watch this movie, and I watch it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well you should go see Oppenheimer.
Speaker 1: Then, yes, I do want to see that. I thought it was really good.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I did not do the Barbenheimer double feature Spiker Marvey movie.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I've heard people say it's.
Speaker 4: Kind of fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people' say movie. Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: If somebody bought me a ticket, i'd go. I don't think I musa spend money on it.
Speaker 1: Airplane movie, Okay, okay, yeah, that's a good call, right, all right.
Speaker 4: So yeah, that was great. That was a lot of great information from Dave.
Speaker 1: We very much appreciate it, and you can go back and listen to it, and I think you're going to learn even more because it's a little it got a little technical, which is nothing. Yes, you did really well with that, but it is one of those interviews that you could listen to a couple of times, maybe even after the first game. Go back and listen to it, and then you can connect the dots see what he meant exactly.
Speaker 4: Okay, right, all right, so questions here?
Speaker 1: Now, wow, this first one, this was these questions must be really old.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, a couple of them came in right after the draft, but one of them actually came in this afternoon, like as I was printing.
Speaker 1: Out the few questions that did they know?
Speaker 4: Well, I think you're going to get an idea and I'll explain they didn't know, but you'll understand what happened here. So this is a question from a listener who's written in before, named Sam, who lives in Nashville.
Speaker 1: I remember, yes, and I'm not going to read the first paragraph.
Speaker 4: There's nothing wrong with it, but it kind of highlights a comment I made about drafted players that didn't age very well. And I just want to point out that, Okay, I'm not a scout, correct, I don't crunch about hundreds of hours of films before the draft. So, as is the case with ninety eight percent of the people you're reading about writing about the draft. They're getting the information from reading sure, lots of scouting reports from other people, connecting excess dots, you know, between needs and listening to podcasts and so on, and so sometimes I think through that process because I spend a lot of time doing that leading up to the draft. I absorb opinions about a player here there, good or bad that if I went back there and talked to our scouts about it, the being that's not right, right, you got that all wrong, bro. But I don't really get that opportunity.
Speaker 1: So let's just say, can I say, can I say something I've not read this letter, but I will say that if you look at people picking draft picks and who and what, well, they're like they're like weather people.
Speaker 4: Okay, there's absolutely nothing insulting about it.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, but from Sam. But what I'm saying, though, is is like like you were saying, it's a crap show. It's a crap shoot. It's a crap shoot for football, right, but I mean it's an educated crap shoot for that much more education.
Speaker 4: Yes, the point being, in the in the midst of covering these things, sometimes you say something about a player that you've kind of absorbed through months of studying, and your own team may feel differently. Yeah, so, but what he uses this as an intro into a question? I like, so I want to read the question good. This got me thinking when when was there a time that you were happy that Jason or one of the previous Bucks gyms didn't listen to you during the draft or free agency? For instance, I remember yelling at the radio during the two fourteen NFL Draft because we passed a golden opportunity to snag our franchise quarterback in Johnny Manzel and decided to go with Mike Evans, who I was sure was good. But a receiver can only do so much if he doesn't have a quarterback throwing to him. Another time, in twenty seventeen, I was surprised when we had now stud Mike Evans, Deshaun Jackson, and our new first runner are O J.
Speaker 1: Howard, that we would waste a third round.
Speaker 4: Pick on yet another receiver in Penn State's Chris Godwin, when we had so many other needs on the teams we needed to fill. Needless to say, I'm glad things worked out as they did in both instances thanks to the great job. So do you remember a time like that? Now, I'm not saying I actually told the GM my thoughts, but mine is two thousand and five, and it was a year we drafted Cadillac Williams fifth overall, and most people were particular we were either going to draft Cadiac Williams or the wide receiver. I think for maybe USC Mike Williams. And I definitely wanted us to draft the receiver because I'm like, we already have Michael Pittman. I think we might have already had Ernest Graham.
Speaker 1: You know, it's not the biggest need we have right now.
Speaker 4: And boy, you you could just uh, we had just gotten Michael Clayton the year before, and he'd had a wonderful rookie season.
Speaker 1: He did like, man, you draft another receiver.
Speaker 4: Now we got something here, and uh a Caddy. I know he ended up eventually getting some injury issues that limited what would have been an even greater career, but he was a really good player. So and then I'm going to look it up to make sure I got the right one. But let's see two thousand and five, Oh, I need the whole draft, not just stars.
Speaker 1: I just I don't you.
Speaker 4: Don't remember situations such as this.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm trying to run through the you know, the draft picks they have, because again.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I wanted us to take USC wide receiver Mike Williams. You have to Yeah, there's been like three or four different Mike Williams to appreciate.
Speaker 1: Uh what no ours was okay?
Speaker 4: Or Mike Williams wasn't bad, especially for like a fourth round drafts.
Speaker 1: Well, that's true.
Speaker 4: I mean some of these other Mike Williams were considered big time busts. This Mike Williams here finished his career with a total of one hundred and twenty seven catches and only one season did he have more than twenty nine. So that's that's a pretty big bust. That's who I wanted us to draft.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a really good question. But I honestly I don't. I'm not. I don't have one. When I went, oh, because I just put the faith in the football side.
Speaker 4: I forgot he was from Tampa, this Mike Williams. Oh, okay, anyway, No, you should, you should, you should, you absolutely should put your faith in the football. Yeah, but we also aren't told ahead of time who drafting? No, No, yeah, that's my example. You can't think of one.
Speaker 1: No, But I like your I like the question. Yeah, that's going to that's going to bother me.
Speaker 4: I'm trying to think of other other times when this happened. Right, Oh, well, I think I wanted us to draft the pass rusher that Jacksonville drafted a few years ago, Josh Allen, when we drafted Devin White, and Devin White has turned in and off. Sure is wrong on that one.
Speaker 1: I mean I would look back and say, you know, how how I wish we would have drafted people? You know, I mean, oh that guys we didn't get. Yeah, you know, you can play that game forever. But you know, I always remember, you know, how did we pass up Tom Brady for crying six times?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 1: Were you thinking on that one? You know?
Speaker 4: My favorite one is is it's amazing for me to look back and realize I have to get the two teams passed on Barry Sanders. Yeah, nineteen eighty nine draft.
Speaker 1: I can't run. No, it was just because did we have a shot at EMMITTT.
Speaker 3: Smith?
Speaker 4: No. The thing with Barry Sanders is it's it's not that the whoever Okay, let's see it was it was ninth and eight nine. Whoever was drafting probably felt like they didn't need a running back and so it was a waste those pie So Troy Aikman went first to the Cowboys, so you can that's okay, And then the Packers had the notable bus twenty Mandarins second overall. Right, and you know, I bet the Packers would have load to bed Barry Sanders, right, but they probably thought that they were I had a running back and really needed to tackle.
Speaker 1: He was great to watch.
Speaker 4: I just recently a few days ago, for some reason, was prompted to go call up a Barry Sanders highlight reel on YouTube. And I would just recommend that everybody does that like once a month.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's ridiculous. He is.
Speaker 4: If I if I were allowed to start a team and I could have any and I was getting one guy each position, and I could have him in the prime, Barry Sanders would be my running back.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I know.
Speaker 4: Maybe Jim Brown's the greatest of all time.
Speaker 1: I don't know, there's a lot of different game.
Speaker 4: Walter Patrian Peterson and Walter Payton was find one. But I'm taking Barry Sanders, because he's can't possibly have been a more fun guy to watch. Yeah, head running back?
Speaker 3: Ye?
Speaker 4: All right, thanks Sam? Good question?
Speaker 1: Now question Sam. That's the second half of the.
Speaker 4: Story is that today, as I was putting these out and thinking about how I was going to handle that one, I get another one from Sam and he said, basically, if you didn't, if you didn't real feel comfortable talking about that last question, I sent, here's another one.
Speaker 1: He had doubts he had to, he had second thoughts. He probably reread the email and went.
Speaker 4: But again he didn't do anything wrong. No, no, no polite email. I just didn't really want to get into it. So there have been a lot of throwback in uniforms revealed this offseason since the one helmet rule has been revoked, including the Bucks outside of the Bucks, which is clearly the best. Which throwback uniforms? Are you and Jeff looking forward to seamos? Have you? And he's said glad to have the dogs back. Have you seen any of these?
Speaker 1: I've seen. I like the Lions, but I like the old Lions one.
Speaker 4: Okay, the one with the old helmet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but did you?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: The throwback at Home was pretty cool. Yeah, that's very cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I did a little bit of a Google search and just quickly so I'll go down what I saw. There's a brown throwback which I couldn't even tell the throwback.
Speaker 1: Then they need to get white with brown and orange.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I didn't know what the throwbacking part of it was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they need to get rid of Brownie.
Speaker 4: So that's funny that you said that, because I was just thinking the other night brown and yellow shouldn't work. But when I see the Padres on TV, I'm like, that's that's not bad.
Speaker 1: That's because of the Padres.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, whatever, I mean, what is a better name for a brown team than the Browns? M mm hmm. I don't understand your feedback here.
Speaker 1: I just think the Padres are special.
Speaker 4: The usually the answer to this question, if it says best and uniform in it is that whatever you're saying, my answer is the Chargers. Well, yeah, you've taken out the Bucks, so I don't have to worry about saying they're better old and new logos every uniform they have. Yeah, the Chargers have a bunch of different uniform combinations and they probably have three of the five best uniforms in the entire NFL. Yeah, and apparently they are bringing back a navy blue helmet from like the early two thousands this year, which is fine.
Speaker 1: But I also think is cool is the Tennessee Titans are bringing back the oilers.
Speaker 4: I was getting there and I tell you other story, and I got to say.
Speaker 1: Who, but one of our new interns was in and we were discussing a different throwbacks and they did not understand. They didn't know what that was. The Derek the oil yeah, and you know, and so I started thinking about it, and I went, Okay, at that person's age, it makes sense that you wouldn't. It's like, yeah, what did the Oh you're going way back. Yeah, if you're not been around it, you know the Washington Senators, you know, you go no way.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But I think that's very cool that they're they're honoring that. I'm shocked. I am too, because they could. I guess it's like anything else, you try to distance yourself from the past because they moved. And then now it's like, Okay, enough time has passed, they've got to you know, wounds have healed. We can go ahead and go with it.
Speaker 4: Can you possibly imagine the Baltimore Ravens wearing throwback Cleveland Brown uniforms.
Speaker 1: Oh, now that's what we're talking about here.
Speaker 4: How about the Indianapolis Colts wearing throwback Baltimore Colts uniforms?
Speaker 1: Well, I think I think that would work.
Speaker 4: No way, no way, would they ever do that.
Speaker 1: That'd be pretty cool. I like those, Oh that would be cool. But so I'm very surprised that they did. Yeah, pleasantly surprised. Now, if you're really going to have a throwback, you should have the Texans and uh, the Titans play at the Astrodome because it's still there.
Speaker 4: Oh but it's like a dump.
Speaker 1: It don't matter, it does matter.
Speaker 4: It's probably not safe to go in there.
Speaker 1: I don't I don't they still use it for rodeos.
Speaker 4: I don't think they use it for anything.
Speaker 1: Oh no, okay, well I did a game there. We did a game one time there. Maybe you did, Yeah, you were around. It was with Sam Wish. Really yeah, in the Astrodome. I feel like I would remember, yeah, which was?
Speaker 3: Which was?
Speaker 1: And they used to call it like the eighth one of they did because well, when they first built it, they had real grass in it, and then they had glass, and they realized that real grass is not going to grow there. That's how they discovered what astro turf. There you go, that's my little history lesson. Yeah, I think that's a very very cool way.
Speaker 4: To get The astrodome was declared non compliant with fire code by the Houston Fire Department in two thousand and eight, and parts of it were demolished in twenty thirteen. After several years of disuse. In twenty fourteen, it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Right, So no, I don't think they're using it anymore.
Speaker 1: Wow, Wow, too bad. I wish they would have upgraded it because that would have been very cool. But continue gas you got.
Speaker 4: I saw in Indianapolis, Colts One where they're doing something they're called Indiana Knights and was like as in nig not k Knights.
Speaker 1: And they're very they're like a darker blue and it's like.
Speaker 4: All dark blue and the helmet's black with blue horseshoe and it's pretty high like that. I got aid it look pretty like that the Jets had something. They even had Aaron Rodgers in it, and I was looking at like I wouldn't even know that's a throwback if I'm looking at it. Yeah, the Broncos are going to use their old white helmet with the old remember the d logo with the I do horse coming at it. That's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: I like that. Yeah, that was well, that was when Broncos were big time defense orange crush back in the day.
Speaker 4: Seahawks are going back to their old uniforms for a game, that's fine. And then the Eagles I kind of like that one. It's it's uniforms like from the Randall Cunningham era, right with the kelly green color and the helmets that look a little different than they do now. So those are the ones that I saw. I would say the one that's most interesting is the Oilers Titans one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought that was very very cool.
Speaker 4: But the Indiana n nice one.
Speaker 1: Look well, I have to say the cream Sickle is very excited. And and I was searching through in a bedroom that's not used very much at home and opened the flex opened up the Uh, yeah, I've got a few rooms that use. Your house is bigger than mine. I just don't think that's true. I just is just not used. But anyways, in that closet it's actually an office now, the I found cream Sickle buccaneer.
Speaker 4: La gear La gear with with the little flame with the tags.
Speaker 1: Still you're gonna break it up? Uh, It's Creamsicle Day on Monday, and I'm trying to decide do I go all out and wear my old throat. I mean, I could make Joey jealous on this one. Joey Nelson, our social media director, he is a big Buck fan and everything. He has his throwback But yeah, I think I think there's a lot of really cool throwback stuff and I think it's I think it's exciting and it's fun that fans are getting involved in it, and I think the players like it. And right now with the creamsickles, the players are very very excited by which, by the way, the unveiling of the Creamsicle video was awesome with Derek Brooks and Ron Day and Mike Alstadt as the I did see Mike on Saturday. Mike Alstadt as the bouncer. Yes, that's great stuff.
Speaker 4: So somebody did a screenshot of him and put on Twitter at just the right moment. So this Mike also, I could play like the villain in Action movie. Yeah, he had that look. Well, he's totally cut right now, Oh he looks good, he looks great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right?
Speaker 4: And one more right post draft dogs. This is from Mark in Mesa, Arizona, right members, and I love this. I agree with him.
Speaker 1: One.
Speaker 4: Members of the sports media tend to refer to all former first round picks as number one picks, which has never sat right with me. Correct even when qualified I either Bucks number one pick, it still feels inaccurate. What say ye fair or foul?
Speaker 1: I say foul? I say there's only one number one. The rest are first round picks at number thie, the.
Speaker 4: First round picks, yeah, the Bucks first round pick.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And when sometimes you clarify fifteenth overall, Oh, we're all correct, correct, Yeah, there's the only pick is the first pick.
Speaker 1: Number one. I could not agree with this more one is a very lonely number. It's like if he'd.
Speaker 4: Written in and said, hey, do you think super Bowl should be one word or two?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Because it makes me irrationally angry when somebody writes super Bowl.
Speaker 1: Is one word. Yeah, No, it's not too it's a super ball and.
Speaker 4: He Mark also says, ps the Tampa two crossover episodes with case see and we have been great. Keep those coming, so we got to remember to do that every now and right. But that's that's Casey Phillips and Brianna Dix are and they have their own h in the season.
Speaker 1: It's called the Tampa two and it'll be honest podcast.
Speaker 4: Very good football analysis. Those they know what they're talking about.
Speaker 1: You'll have that starting uh up during the regular season. We'll have five hours of podcasts.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're giving you bonus stuff because we didn't really have to start starring camp, but we're just giving the fans the bonus.
Speaker 1: Actually, I was really surprised you were biting at the bit to do this right away, because you know, once we start now, we're locked in every week. So I got to figure out what we're gonna do when we're in New Jersey with the Jets.
Speaker 4: I have to do it every week season. The fans would like it, Yeah, the Buck fans. One more from our friend in South Paulo Brazilander now Cimento really quick, holy salty ones. Hope this finds you both well. I think this was like in June or July, right, Is this the only period of the year you guys get to take a time off work since you did Thanks for yes, it was season. Now never taken a vacation in any other times in the year from the you've never taken a vacation in March April?
Speaker 1: Oh yes, yes, I'm talking to off season is when you go, when we go on? When you go?
Speaker 4: I think he meant specifically the break that the coaches and the players have. Yes, the end of the off season program with the mini camp and then the start of camp. It's usually about six weeks long. It's usually about six weeks long, and it usually feels like it goes by in about two hours, right because you start, then you go, Okay, that's six more act.
Speaker 1: Actually it is. I took three weeks off, three weeks from that spot. I took the week before the fourth of July week and the week after the fourth of July week.
Speaker 4: Otherwise, if we if we just make sure not to cross over ten pole events like the start of free agency, the draft, when the when the schedule dropped, mini camp, we yeah, mini camp. We can take vacations other times that you're except during the season, well from the start a camp.
Speaker 1: To the well you can take a few days on a bye week depending on what you have like not so much for you, but for me probably like a Wednesday through a Saturday. You disappeared for a few days, you know, during the bye week. So but yes, it's we live with it.
Speaker 4: It's not Yeah, it's it's not bad. You basically no going into every year that the second half of the year, you're just gonna you have to get your vacation into thim. Yeah, but that's that's just that's the way it is.
Speaker 1: That's not a problem. No, no, not at all.
Speaker 4: All right, Jeff, that's it.
Speaker 1: That was good. That was we're back, all right, we're back all right. And since you did, thanks for listening. H