Speaker 1: What up, y'all. This is your main man, Memphis Bleak right here.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Rock Solid, a production of iHeart Radio and the Black Effect Network in partnership with my guys over at Drink Champs.
Speaker 1: Big with the year Memphis. I'm back, Gaddy niggas.
Speaker 2: Notice the difference, just more chron present, no stones.
Speaker 1: Yeah, y'all you already know what it is.
Speaker 2: Back with another one exclusive rock Solid by yours truly Memphis Bleak. And I tell you everybody sitting on this platform, in one way or another, is my brother and number two they Solid and this man right here is a legend, one of the most part of one of the most illness rap groups in history that I was an ultra fan of growing up, and y'all have no idea. I wanted to be down with the hit squad. Let's welcome Eric Sermon to the building. My Jesus, what's up, my brother?
Speaker 1: How you doing?
Speaker 2: Before we start? You know, the whole world, say Eric Sherman. Yeah, fat Joe yo, he said Sherman. But he called me that I love him slide yeah right right.
Speaker 1: I believe everybody say that.
Speaker 2: The producer, you know, my man Cheat and my good carist who run the show. She was like, listen, bleak, listen, you cannot call that man Sherman in his face.
Speaker 1: You have to say certain.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that's how you say it though, blieve you've been saying it like that's how I say it.
Speaker 2: But it's a I make it easy to say. It's a church church sermon. It's full the same way, so you look at the sermon that's coming from a pastor and people get it like that.
Speaker 3: He'd be like, okay, now it makes it easier. But you and Joe say Sherman. It doesn't matter. That's so you're my fans.
Speaker 1: I'm good.
Speaker 3: I mean, like listen for listen, doesn't bleak, like when you anybody that wants to see me, who wants to talk to me, or like even in this is the show.
Speaker 1: It's the biggest blessing ever.
Speaker 2: Man. I came in this game in November nineteen eighty seven, you know, so it's twenty twenty five crazy. I was nine, right, so to be here and still be able to what they call relevancy, you know what I'm.
Speaker 1: Saying now, So you're a legend. You relevant?
Speaker 2: Yeah, any time, But I understand that. But you know, you respect it.
Speaker 3: But when people hear the legend name, they give you respect, shake your hand on. But they don't mean they want to fuck with you. I mean they want you to come to their office. They want to do a deal with you. They want to break bread with you, like they're looking for the next but you never But you.
Speaker 2: Can't say that because you're want of the legends that been pivoted though you didn't just rat.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, But but what I'm saying, But luckily I'm saying that I got the relevancy because I would be like the other one of my colleagues where they're not doing the business I'm doing because people respect them, but they don't want to do business with them, because what are you doing at this moment?
Speaker 1: That's right? Yeah, no, think you make the beats.
Speaker 2: You was the management, You put the crew together, the production, like, come on, bro, you had a lot of different talents than just yes staying on the stage.
Speaker 1: So yeah, man, you know what I'm saying, because you gotta be able.
Speaker 3: To set it second job because this is what he took over to begin with.
Speaker 2: So this baby, that's right here is where the listen man. Tangible goods.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 3: You can talk about it too, But something that you can actually touch, that's right, say, is this right here?
Speaker 2: In alcohol? Nobody has loss? No, I don't give how bad it is. I tell people all the time. One thing you never see go out of business is a liquor store, right exactly? They always do an insurance. Can they burn it down?
Speaker 1: Okay, no doubt.
Speaker 3: So this right here was where again I tell people too at this they always ask me the question. Besides me in my publisher, I own it, so I'm still gonna make money for however long.
Speaker 2: It's right, yo, talking about that? How you feel about these guys selling their catalog.
Speaker 3: I think the gods are selling their catalogs to Memphis.
Speaker 1: You got.
Speaker 2: You just happen to be fortunate not to be able to. But you're talking about the old or new either all but the new. The new guys they know that it's a lick to get money.
Speaker 3: They don't care about you know what's in the in the back ahead, about them turning forty, and whether it's not that and this, And then all of a sudden you say, if you got a couple of million dollars, you know how fast it's been a million dollars quick, like like people don't look at it's immediately quick, gone gone, you know, and then then if you ain't, if you didn't people listen, you go, you go to prison because you didn't file, not because you didn't pay. You didn't file, so not even like you ducking that's why you get in trouble at least file. But Uncle Sam is real. They're gonna always be there, so you're gonna have to take care of them immediately.
Speaker 1: That money is not yours.
Speaker 3: So say if you've got a million, four hundred of thousand dollars, it's not yours.
Speaker 1: That's right. So that's in New York though you're in New York.
Speaker 2: I'm in Florida now I'm about two hundred of that won't be yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: Right, right, so niggas told me to. So you've been down there for two years? Now, are you gonna switch this it over? I'm like, eventually I might do it, but you know, we don't like Florida, Miami that too. But anyway, Texas, that's why people went to Texas. There to Texas, Nevada. Right, So so but anyway, the million dollars two can go quick quick. So then if I sell my publishing right now, I have to wait whatever amount.
Speaker 1: Of years for me to get getting it back, get it back.
Speaker 3: But in the meantime, the money they gave me, maybe it might last a couple of years.
Speaker 2: But now you don't get money for ten years. But now my publishing check is not coming. That's right, you know.
Speaker 1: So me personally, I would never sell it. I won't sell it. But you're fortunate too, So I ask the question why.
Speaker 3: The reason why is the young one wants the money up front so he could do what he wanted to do at the moment. The older one too needs that money because stuff don't slow down or again, things ain't the same.
Speaker 2: But I'm talking about even the guys who's selling the publishing for one hundred million dollars. They caught that catalog. I'm not mad like everything, I'm not mad. I would never yeah, but bleak man, I would never. I understand it. But if you blow a hundred million dollars, oh it's possible, you know, to look at them, I know.
Speaker 3: But people got blueprints now, nigga, Like, what do you actually need?
Speaker 1: Mike said something that was prolific. He said.
Speaker 3: Once he stopped chasing the paper, he realized that more money would get me a bigger car in a bigger house.
Speaker 1: Can't do nothing else. I can't. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Once I take care of my face family because I don't begre I can put the money away from my family too. But also my life is shown and my whatever I got and my publishing is theres too. But my thing was though, bleak, you gotta go back though one hundred man, you can leave it to your children. You're right, But you got a hundred million. You you're saying you can spend it, but on.
Speaker 1: What it bet'll be businesses? Because shit, but what do you need? Who? Me? Personally?
Speaker 3: Somebody, some rich men said that if you have twenty minute, twenty million liquid.
Speaker 1: Cash, you should be okay forever forever. That's right. So why are you.
Speaker 2: Saying to me I would never sell it because me, I leave it to my kids, and my kids can leave it to their kids. It's something that comes for I got, I think about Mike Jack Got think about prints. I know people like that's generational wealth. That one hundred million. You know what if you don't do the right thing where it won't be generation or it be right now and listen convention.
Speaker 3: The wealth Listen, Bleak is nine years younger than me, right or whatever it is you said. I was, so now you're younger than me. So my thing what he just said, y'all is very very prolific building wealth. How White America does.
Speaker 1: Is like this.
Speaker 3: If Oprah Rimpi is a billionaire, she's the only one. There's no wealth that she goes over.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 3: They, the rob Childs and everybody that you see, may sees knows are too. There is generations that the money flows down, so we would never be able to contend with them because we don't have generations.
Speaker 1: So all of.
Speaker 3: Our billionaires, all of them, if they don't do this, then there's.
Speaker 1: No generation wealth.
Speaker 3: So I understand what you mean by the pass down, but I thought the money too would give them the pass down so they can be secure too. But you really can't trust it, especially with my well, my five.
Speaker 1: They you know, you know this I got you might run through that.
Speaker 3: Curry Lambeaus thirty thirty one, twenty six, twenty.
Speaker 1: Four and twenty right, God bless me.
Speaker 3: So my youngest one is in third year of college, and I'm like looking at them, like, yeah, two of them.
Speaker 1: Is gonna wild out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they going to do bad.
Speaker 1: They ain't coming back, yo.
Speaker 4: But but but but again, twenty million, okay or fifty million, and here's job between.
Speaker 1: But you know fifty between five.
Speaker 2: You're right because if I got that, if I got right, I would have to have one hundred but for each to be twenty.
Speaker 1: So you take a chance on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're right, man, I'm telling you right, it'll be it'll be worth more just passing down the catalog because each of them can get it divided equally and they can't blow it.
Speaker 3: They can't blow it because it comes forever. It's right, you know, I think I gotta think about that. But just one hundred million, yo, I gotta think about that.
Speaker 1: That's that's im.
Speaker 2: I I made the call when I seen everything going on and I got offered something right, I called my my og oh yo, yo, what you think?
Speaker 1: What you have me? He was like, I would never, I would never, I would never.
Speaker 3: I heard stories of you're gonna mention the names that got eighteen a while ago.
Speaker 1: You know, but you got them.
Speaker 2: Dream was twenty three million. That's no, no, no, no, no, my bad. I think two hundred something dream and then you have, you know, the NEOs and people like that too, that did do the numbers high though you talking about two.
Speaker 1: It's there.
Speaker 2: But you know, you know what I'm saying, if somebody ready to give you two hundred, imagine what it is worth.
Speaker 1: Because that's what I said, fortunate.
Speaker 2: That's like, they're not giving you two hundred to make fifty.
Speaker 1: They seeing what you already make what.
Speaker 2: You already and they calcul in that by the next fifty years.
Speaker 3: I keep I don't want to make it a race thing. But again, White America moves on the long game.
Speaker 2: That means they will wait twenty years because they know you can't wait.
Speaker 1: They got the money to wait twice. Right.
Speaker 2: That long game is that's why I got into, like you said, tangible goods, let restaurants, real estate, things that I can give my kids when I'm not if anything was to happen, there is businesses.
Speaker 3: And you know they're selling the restaurant in the houses, right, Huh did they sell in the house in the restaurant.
Speaker 1: They Oh, they better not sell a restaurant, they better go run it.
Speaker 2: The house is flip it, Yeah, that's what the equity get built for. Flip the house. You gonna do what you gotta do. That's not I don't care about that one of them. I know what dad said, my son, but we're not said this restaurant can go. It's like what you said, my son, he get that bag like that, right? He fucking Kanye West. It's gone fashion. Nigga will be niggas in Japan. The nigga be at the show and it'd be over bro. But Yo, let's take it. Let's let's take them back. Let's talk about the come up man Long Island. But you told me something off camera that you said, you're from.
Speaker 3: Brooklyn, right, this is why this is I'm I'm born and raised in Long Island, right, But my fan was in was in pink houses, so shut out. So when when I was seventeen, that's why you know, I frequent that, you know, doing the end of high school. When I knew that, again, school was school, but it was okay. So again you know my cousins, the Woodson's and my cousin Jammel and the and his two brothers, they lived there and was was raised and there they moved from someplace else in Brooklyn and moved the pink houses. So through my early career. That's where I stomped at you know, so I went there whatever. Every day I went there, I had to have some girls behind the building. I had some girls in the building, you know what I'm saying. So again, and and and when we was in there to the point where sometimes you know, you you really couldn't like really just walk up in the building like you know, so so if I bring friends, it was like, nah, you got to stay in the car, you know, like you wasn't really from there, but you know, not me, but I bring up the right exactly.
Speaker 2: So you had to be from a prop if you wasn't certified or really from that project, you couldn't bring the home.
Speaker 3: And even though we all out there, you know a lot of the niggas is a home now, you know.
Speaker 2: But but but but but dracking numbers from Siples. All these people so and so they're all home now so but so and my boy cat like all these people that was And then the plaza was can do Rod Shawn, Steve and all this is wonderful, This is all too but this is plaza, pink houses and Cyprus. So again three together you have boys and some but you but they wasn't coming, you know, whatever we was, you know, you couldn't go through every then Roger and then we had the diner where because the diner is a little bit more down, but everybody went to the diner. But but anyway, again that part of too not knowing that Uncle Murder was there, Yeah, Pink because he because we was in the I was doing something for power. You know, there was the episode that had came back whatever season two fifty had a bunch of artists coming through, so he wanted e Pd to do you got to chill? Yeah, yeah, so so so we were formed performed that night, and but he was telling fifty like, yo, you know, you know from the building, you know, and but Maine on them knew, you know, people that you know understood what it was. But again I'm young, so my thought process of niggas getting busy wasn't in my thought process, Like okay, so so I know that most of these niggas is killers, right, and but it's it's Eric, you know, it's the Rapper. You know a few of us of them played basketball, so they was off limits to But at the end of.
Speaker 1: The day two we all still got busy.
Speaker 3: And then when niggas saw me busting guns and Staten Allen niggas because I got.
Speaker 1: Robbed, so let them things fly. I had to be. I was because I was love. I was embarrassed, That's what do it. Embarrassment.
Speaker 3: But I wrote this song like, yeah, I was young and dumb, and I could have ended my career.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: But again, I went to Staten Island, right, you drove over there with the biscuit or you No, no, no, no, listen what happened?
Speaker 3: So let me get the story going. So what happened was I met this girl already know, so she.
Speaker 2: Was in and and let me see Movetings Park Slope.
Speaker 1: I was in. It's in the record. Ye yeah, yeah, yea yeah, no I was.
Speaker 3: I was in New Brighton bright right, So okay, it's hood over there. But I don't know that neither. I'm looking at the girl because the funk about nothing else. Look at not tore down fucking Clinton Hills the sky. I was laying them chicks out.
Speaker 1: He said. I ain't care about the hood chick.
Speaker 3: So so when I was when I'll get all right, So when I went to I'm excited to the terrorists as wild so so so so.
Speaker 1: When you went.
Speaker 3: So when I went to to there, I already was with the girls. So now I went back again and my boy, but not my best friend. His father had a church in statnll and so he was the pastor already. Because that's when I already already knew who Tang. I got a picture of me and Whu Tang in nineteen eighty nine before they was famous. Because Ray Corner, I was gonna sign him Dolo by myself at the time.
Speaker 1: That's crazy. But so I went back the second time.
Speaker 3: The nigga that's dead from the Foursome D's it was his birthday, right, so I'm talking with him.
Speaker 2: I forgot was when it wasn't. Steve was the one that passed away. So we talking.
Speaker 3: He's like, yo, EO, I'm going to go to the store and get me a bother you want to drink. I'm like, nah, I'm cool. Soon as he left, I went in the building. Now she was on the on the first floor, so I opened the door. I was on my way upstairs already, but somebody, Yo, come back, I'm gona shoot your man. I come back down the stairs. They got the gun and my man's stomach. So I walked back, you know. So now my mind I'm angry, you know. So now I'm like, yo, this is not happening. He said, take your chain off. I had a big chain, I had some rings, you know.
Speaker 2: But I had a thousand dollars on my chest and I had the Benzi box on me.
Speaker 1: We had you were too young.
Speaker 3: I don't know about the box and bock. When you take the radio out with you, you know, you take it out and then you go, there's what we had back then.
Speaker 2: So sorry, So now he snatched my chain and take the Benzie box.
Speaker 3: Then he shoots in the air blop. So when I get outside and he's like, yo, what happened? It was too fast for them to know that happened. So they set me up. So I don't know if it was the foursome d Nigga knew what was going on, but I was in the wrong spot.
Speaker 1: But let me tell you something too.
Speaker 3: While I'm talking to him, I see a lady in the door, an old lady, but it looked like a mask. It looked fake, but I'm not thinking it's fake. It was him. He was already getting ready to get me. So now he got me snatched up, and that so my whole thing too. I'm mad because I gotta drive home with no music. That's where I'm really mad at. I'm gonna let you finish.
Speaker 2: Don't tell me you shot at the foursome being no, this is I just wanted to make sure.
Speaker 1: So now.
Speaker 2: Paris gets the phone call from from from from from his man. You know that they rob your boy, so I said. So I lied to Parish like you robbed me. I was embarrassed.
Speaker 1: You know e P M D.
Speaker 2: No, don't get close you might get shot. You know all the persona of it, but it could happen. I listen, I got caught slipping. So now my embarrassment. I go to Fort Greene. I go get Hawking Dog. Oh you into the trenches, you in the ship. So Hawking Dog. Niggas know them so that we can know has them. These niggas. It got busy right, and people know them too. So my cousin went to go get my cousin Jammel.
Speaker 3: When they picked up Hawking Dog, we rode back to to stat Now on that Saturday, another a weekend, so we went to a random club, but it was stop now we didn't care. So we just walked in just to be walking in, looking around this and that that and this whatever such and such.
Speaker 2: And then when the club let out, pulled the bens up, I was in my own car, popped the trunk, undea, the tire started letting off. Whole club just shut up. The club just shotting up the outside whatever.
Speaker 1: That and that.
Speaker 3: So because we had to make a statement, we could have hit somebody. Luckily we didn't.
Speaker 2: We got all the way from stopping now and back across the bridge in Brooklyn, and nobody knew.
Speaker 1: There was no cops, no nothing like.
Speaker 2: This is not that this, but it got back that Eric came came here with three niggas and shot up and shot this place up.
Speaker 1: Man, that's crazy. It was putting in that.
Speaker 3: Work because this is what I had to do, you know, was dumb and stupid. But again I was embarrassed.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 2: I was embarrassed because in Paris knew, and I was embarrassed because I got robbed.
Speaker 1: And then because me being me, he's a young kid, like that's how yo, bro, I've been in this situation. It happens.
Speaker 2: There's always a girl, it's always a hood you not from and you blind after it happened to me. That's why I wrote the song. It's one rule, never get caught slipping.
Speaker 3: I never thought I never had because then I judge the book bos cover. I'm in stott now because it's not booking, it's not Queen's, it's not Bronx, it's not hard.
Speaker 1: This is stat now.
Speaker 3: So I judged the book bos cover knowing rock Kim just said too, it ain't where you're from, where you at.
Speaker 1: It's not that I didn't even put that.
Speaker 2: Twisted and think stat Allen is I know that now like.
Speaker 1: Now, it had some of the craziest niggas. They couldn't come.
Speaker 3: Across the way they look at the way they looked at long Alan, how the boroughs looked at huss As being being like that.
Speaker 2: That's what I took to. I took it for granted.
Speaker 3: Where I was at outside jewelry, money boom boom, outside talking regular nigga, and this nigga was hungry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hell yeah, that's how it goes. Bro Damn, that's crazy. That was an ill story, man, You.
Speaker 1: Know you let that thing fly that Now.
Speaker 2: There's a there's a few niggas that I ain't gonna mention no names.
Speaker 1: Chill, we ain't gonna get into that. Man.
Speaker 2: Let's go, let's take it back because e pm D y'all was like, what not gonna say the first group because you had Beastie Boys, But y'all did your thing. Y'all was like a major impact on Death Jail. What was that like when y'all first got well?
Speaker 3: The craziest the fact that we got signed again the demo records, the true record. We chilled a sixty eight camarow that parish had where we had stripped the little top off, had it painted, fixed the engine, put rims on the whole nine, and we drove it and the car did conk out, you know the way the way the story says it demo, So it did happen. But we went to labels back then you would look at the album covers.
Speaker 2: And then address would be on there. So we went to three of them, and then the third way we went.
Speaker 3: To Sleeping Back of Records, Fresh Records, and they and they called us back and said, yo, we want to sign y'all. But after that, you know, Rush management had every group, so everybody was on rush.
Speaker 1: Don't matter. I remember yo yo.
Speaker 2: There's a picture with all rush groups out there, rock Him, King One, d MC, every everybody was on the one block Elizabeth Elizabeth Street and were all out there.
Speaker 1: But I was cars. Oh no, no, I ain't.
Speaker 2: Never it's a short block Elizabeth Street.
Speaker 1: So we out there that one with the cars. So that's out there. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I only saw it once, but it's crazy. But run dem was getting to go on tour.
Speaker 3: One call hustle, listen, go get them boys because they saw how fast we was blowing the as far as we it was like soon as soon as it's my thing and you were customer drop, it was over. And then the album dropped, you got to share, it was over. So so run dm C knew the same way that when Drake came out, how Kanye was like, I shoot the video. Your competition is coming, right, run dm C knew that this was the end of an error coming probably for them because Rock Him changed the game. And then oh, who's these new dudes from Long Island that we we patterned our whole self around them, right So then, so I don't abel didn't have enough money for us to have a tour bus, so we rode on run DMC's bus. Can you imagine being the kid go forget me and pirates shove that car.
Speaker 1: Not only to go get a deal.
Speaker 3: We wanted to go pick up Sucking Seas from a record store called Rock and so Oh, because we didn't have no store on that, so we went to Manhattan to pick up the Run DMC second c single.
Speaker 1: It's like that on the other side.
Speaker 3: So imagine you're getting the call and now the whole tour EPM, d J, Jeffin, the First Prince, Public under meet and the EPMD. So it's four of us and sometimes it would be Obstatasonic. So we all on nineteen eighty eight called the Runhouse Tour. But I'm on Run DMC's bus.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't even have your own bus. Now we're too young for that. I don't have the money for that, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: But then on the tour, First Prince says, we want to stop and tell y'all congratulate EPMD for number one album in the country. True, so we are don't beget We're on tour with the biggest groops in the world, but we number oh no, you know EPMD's exploded.
Speaker 1: So man so all you got the chair check up my hey.
Speaker 2: When them records came out, bro, those just the type of records that made me say, damn, I want to do.
Speaker 3: This ship right because the first I keep it one hundred after the first Strictly Business album was made, we go back and we got the jinks.
Speaker 1: Nothing's happening, couldn't make nothing was working.
Speaker 3: Luckily, I was in Europe and I heard groove Me and the guy played this song called bye Bye Bye by Soul, the soul called fair play. So when nothing was going to partly look at that record I brought back. I bought that back running and it made it nice. Nope, whatever made it back, that's what you're saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, blessed, Yeah, appreciate you.
Speaker 3: Oh no, yo yo yo listen, I want my thousand n I want my thousand dollars back.
Speaker 4: Yo.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that that.
Speaker 3: What I did was, I know he didn't mean the mean to play me, but I wouldn't have been mad. But he said, Yo, I'm gonna bet you one thousand dollars that niggas say, so uh he's and I been away, and I said, yo, they ain't gonna sing it. You know what I'm saying because we in a crowd, which I figured is young, you know.
Speaker 1: Just like music is out there. So that's cool. It's two thousand and one.
Speaker 3: So after y'all get on, we come on and do what you say in part, and the part comes up, the whole National Coliseum sings the part right, So he takes my thousand dollars on the US and then throw it in the audience.
Speaker 1: It's on YouTube, bleak no way, so you don't remember that, so you never knew it. Oh can. We made a bet that that night that they were gonna say.
Speaker 3: So when you look at the thousand dollars that he threw, that was my thousand that I bet him.
Speaker 2: He's a always takes somebody's money and give it away.
Speaker 3: So on YouTube, I watched all the time he threw it in the audience, you know whatever. So again, but going back to them, going back to that, we had a little bit of it was going to be like a sophomore jinx. I'm like, damn, this is going to be so so so then demos start coming and these things came after. But in the beginning, nothing was working. But luckily I brought that record back.
Speaker 1: From the Europe. Man, that's crazy man, that record. Did y'all know?
Speaker 2: Like, of course, it's like me asking myself the same question, but I have to ask you, did you even think that y'all was making something as timeless as you did?
Speaker 1: Nah?
Speaker 3: But we knew that we knew what we wanted to hear, and we knew that it sounded dope to us. Don't forget, nobody knows believe what you're doing until you send it to them. That's right, until they hear it. So you have to fuck with it first. So if you if we like it, then we're going with it. You know, the label don't know the day, okay, and what we what we bring it to them? Somebody there wasn't no leo like that's not good. This is whack, you know, So they wasn't likely or most labels, you know. So so they bring what you what you bring them and they were like yeah, So one thing about us.
Speaker 2: E pm D was the last group to come out in that time. So I was able to hear MC light, KOs One Rock, Kim Bismarcky Caine, all these people I was able to hear first Shan they was so now if I'm looking back and we like this, we can't be whack.
Speaker 1: I got all to look at.
Speaker 3: So so now we got my mentor two towns away, which is rock kim So this is wined Inch, then in between this deer Park and then they would get a couple.
Speaker 1: Then there's Brentwood.
Speaker 3: So that's what made me really go because once I heard rock kim My DJ Diamonds like listen nickname rock Wind that came out.
Speaker 2: The name was his name was rock Win. So he's like, yo, gun and rock Wind came out. He rhymes slow like you do because I had with a list, So I'm rhyming slow. So when I heard turned ba check out my melody and knowledge the car, I'm.
Speaker 1: Letting knowledge and my name is the R A k I.
Speaker 2: So now I'm like, yo, Nick Knacked, Patty Whack, get on Yo.
Speaker 1: I'm rhyming like this too.
Speaker 3: So I'm like, yo, we can make it because he's I came in the door. I said it before, so we're like, m c's out there, you better stan clear e P M D is the world.
Speaker 1: So so so so so we knew that.
Speaker 3: So we knew that, Okay, the we can make it because he's also from long Island, even though we publicly became Bizmarck.
Speaker 1: He came, this is all Long Island.
Speaker 2: Know what I'm saying, so so so a strong so you know what I'm saying, because if you take Long Island out the map, it's a problem.
Speaker 1: You know, the day lives, the you know.
Speaker 2: The.
Speaker 3: Bus and the yeah who you know. So it was a bunch of people that you know, the Keith Murrays and case the whole nation.
Speaker 2: Man at that point, like my g they call our era the Golden Era. I ain't gonna discredit it, but yeah, Arab Blue, that's the golden Too many gem rappers, you was just like, yeah, paved the way for guys like us to pave the way for the other guys. You gotta understanding without job when this bro this is special ed.
Speaker 1: This is cousie wrap, this is n w A, this is again.
Speaker 3: They said like this is given hammer, this is this is all, this is forty or this is on that side.
Speaker 4: Ye.
Speaker 3: The too many people that came in the late eighties and then eighty eight, it was everything. Everything that sparked what you hearing and seeing came from that year and not ever, mostly that.
Speaker 1: Year eighty eight.
Speaker 3: That period the drugs was crazy, Cracker is eighty eight, This is, this is, this is this.
Speaker 1: Year was the Dapi Dan gold fronts. Everything was.
Speaker 2: Rock, Mike Tyson at the Uptown, at the Beverly, the clubs.
Speaker 1: All this is eighty eight was the Yeah.
Speaker 3: But I don't give a funk with niggas talking about you said the nineties they missed, but the Golden era to me, not because.
Speaker 1: I was this man's that.
Speaker 2: Yes, it was man, I agree, bro, because I was a shorty trying to imitate emulate everybody.
Speaker 1: Y'all were doing.
Speaker 2: Man like yeah with the change, the cars, you get your album cover and bashing your hold on.
Speaker 1: These niggas ain't sitting on top of the bed. Listen.
Speaker 3: This is what they said to somebody from the Choice said, we thought y'all was drug dealers, Yo, so so so.
Speaker 1: You rock Kim and Eric B.
Speaker 2: Of course when they covered with remember they got the big change on their.
Speaker 3: Now the fucking Dapper Dan. It's not that Buci joints on. Yeah, Me and Parison on the car with the jewelry on, and I'm like, what do you mean to say?
Speaker 1: Yo?
Speaker 3: We y'all look because that's what we It was before rappers came to look was from the street.
Speaker 2: Yes, so now it reverts like you know what I mean, the streets emulate what the rappers is now. But back in the day, the rappers imitated what streets the drugs that that was it. That was the swag of y and they got mad.
Speaker 1: When hip hop came.
Speaker 2: We took the girls, and we took the hype, yo, that You're right.
Speaker 1: I ain't ever think about it like that.
Speaker 2: You're right, y'all were y'all were on TV all day, girls shouting on the black like I'm with you every day.
Speaker 1: But Homie just was on my on the on the box.
Speaker 2: I got a check him. Remember this was the days when you had the call call, order that video on your phone.
Speaker 1: I remember all that.
Speaker 3: I remember fucking pulling over for that, fucking for that fucking phone, and so on and so on.
Speaker 1: The street nigga.
Speaker 3: Telephone, niggaya with the quarters, nigga like yourn, yeah about I'm talking about calling period, the phone book, about that post, the phone booth, nigga, a call phone.
Speaker 2: You right, cell phone came the lawyer. You had to call your lawyer. You had to pull over to the store, yo.
Speaker 1: You know that's crazy.
Speaker 2: You know how much the brick phone was, yo, the brick alone and then the phone.
Speaker 1: Yo.
Speaker 3: We had two thousand dollars phone on the regular in the nineties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, on the on the regular, like we until my biggie said, phone bill about two g's flying till somebody my man was getting the burners back then and then.
Speaker 1: Fixing the phones.
Speaker 3: You was lit pay like seven hundred dollars board and it was on to you lost, go on to your lost.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the phone was on to your boogie.
Speaker 3: We had two thousand dollars phone bills twenty five hundred three grand all the time.
Speaker 2: Nigga has in every month to have a cell phone.
Speaker 1: Yo.
Speaker 2: Ship you were what made you transfer from because y'all dominated of course me and y'all mark on the hip hop rap scene.
Speaker 1: But then you just became like the this producer, Like what what was that?
Speaker 3: Well, after the group broke up and I was I was, I was released from the handcuffs. I went to Atlanta right just because I was like, you know, even though I knew that, okay, you can't leave, so they were going to come and get me anyway, But I wasn't going to sit there. Let them come and get me who because they had the three signed statements on.
Speaker 1: Me who riding on?
Speaker 3: You know, the thing that went down with E. P. M D to break up to happening to begin with?
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, okay, I was lost, like who coming to get you?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: So so, but that's all on the on the it's on YouTube, yeah, the story. But again I wasn't gonna let them just sit there and knowing they got three signed statements, that means they can railroad me to you know, even though I know that again, you know, somebody had just made a whole thing up such and such, but niggas will believe it, you know. So he ended up being not show. So anyway, I went to Atlanta.
Speaker 2: So when I went to Georgia, I had went to Georgia earlier and met some girl you know, right, but so so, and then I met the niggas who I did the rim shot with. Okay, niggas from Detroit, so Greg and them. So I met him, so I knew I had a place to go too, So so I chilled there. Next thing, you know, puff called first for for the Who's the Man soundtrack? And I made my first single, hitting Switches right, oh, ship that was I didn't even know that, so I made hitting switches and then when I shot the video it was Puffy and Hight Williams day first ship.
Speaker 3: That's when I tell that Biggie. Everywhere I was shooting, Biggie was next to me. Everywhere I went.
Speaker 2: He was again because Boogie had he had told Tracy Waples kicked me on the Eric Sermon album.
Speaker 3: Right, but I already had my own coul Reggie dods Keep that already had rappers. But but Biggie told Tracy, please get me on that album, you know so, but it didn't happen. But anyway, that's when Atlanta was did they kind of opened up to me. Was when the record come up and be like Atlanta's own Eric Sermon. I'm like what the next thing, you know, they they papers call the Constitution. I'm on the front page. Eric Surmon meus to Atlanta, and I'm like, yo, what's going on? So they embraced me so that when I got there, I met Dallas Austin, and Dallas had gave me one of his rooms out the blue just as being a fan. He said, Yo, I got the ship Collate Records. I got these groups. Cha's a lingo and the lego. Can you do something for me? Remember illegal? So so I'm like, okay, whatever.
Speaker 2: Liljam Mormon Leak was bad at fourteen, I'm talking, I'm bad kids though.
Speaker 1: They it was bad, bro, it was that era. It was the early nineties.
Speaker 2: So so so they lived with Lisa Lopez god bst to Dad no way right, So so, so theday was so Lisa had took them.
Speaker 3: So they were like, your uncle e, you're coming over. That's when I was with Lisa for a little bit.
Speaker 1: I always thought was signed to the Hit Squad. No, they were signing the Rowdy. That's crazy.
Speaker 2: So now so now I'm over there as uncle E.
Speaker 3: So now it's me, Jamal Malik and Lisa living in the in the hotel, right, don't because I just got there.
Speaker 1: I don't. I don't have ship.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's crazy and so and so so I'm in a hotel too, say in that hotel.
Speaker 2: But once Lisa let me come through, then I'm staying there.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But but I ended up doing Lili Zayne had a group too, So I did all of that was on Rowdy because the Downers looked out for me. So everything, and Nick, sure, you know, I got a call from Shack too, so I was getting my money up.
Speaker 2: Who's the man was gonna say? Five hundred Shack? I thought it was gonna be a big check at Jive, seventy five hundred dollars.
Speaker 3: I did full records in there, right, and I wrote and I did Outstanding. There was going platinum, and then I did Malik and Jamaar and Lego. They ended up winning the Billboard Award for a week. It is busy, so so again, so all this stuff was going on, and that's how my ship put like that. I had just started doing everybody, so anybody didn't wrap that was crazy. I was already doing Redman, but then the how High thing came around when I went back to New York to go visit.
Speaker 1: So when the.
Speaker 3: Studio then I made how High and after that then Reggie's Muddy Waters it was time to come.
Speaker 1: So I ended up doing that.
Speaker 2: So so we're not going to skip over Radman like he just so regular artists.
Speaker 1: I signed, Yeah my man from the block, rad Man, you just keep going. Yeah, Reggie, y'all changed the game with Red Man.
Speaker 2: Bro Like rappers, wasn't you really using that funk doc like that Bro y'all brought that new sound.
Speaker 1: And then Bro Reggie was I ain't gonna lie man to me.
Speaker 2: Before Jay was Red, he was the idlest rapper I ever heard when I was a kid.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm glad we sawing this right now. Word up. I tell you no man I ever heard when I was a kid.
Speaker 3: It was another rumor, but I think that Jay would saying, because it's nothing bad. Jay at one time, I think we actually do a record, and he was like, I respect him too much to rock with him.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: And we was at a Vegas fight in Vegas too, don't forget.
Speaker 1: I'm over here with this chicken named Nikki.
Speaker 2: You always got them chicks, man, and it was it was baby Mother's friends.
Speaker 3: So Dame's over here too, and Dame is saying, Yo, Jay, what album we got in the cars? He says, all, we got Redman in the car. Ya, I'm telling yoyo. And I'm like, I was bugging out because I'm like, Yo, that's what y'all playing.
Speaker 1: Say Yo, Yo, we're playing Redmend playing Reggie in the car.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna I'm gonna tell you a story, right it's ill because you signed some of the illest people man from Radman than Keith Murray. The most beautifulest thing in the world, made you with y'all with the hit Squad was special?
Speaker 1: Man? Did you hear me that? What was the song that had bangers? Man? I wrote a verse to that as a shorty.
Speaker 2: Just imagine that I was in that crew. Trust me, Bro, that's one of my favorite beats.
Speaker 1: I still to this day. How nobody never sampled that.
Speaker 2: I made head bangs for ice Cube? No way, I never got into him. I wasn't even making it for us.
Speaker 3: That was the last song that e PM DV recorded for the fourth album before the Break.
Speaker 2: Yo, Bro, I'm telling y'all changed the game. But listen right, I'm hearing every I'm hearing everybody, Keith Murray listening to all the music. Mind you, I'm a fan of anybody. They used to have this event called the Gavin Yeah, yeah, what right? So I'm like Jack and Gavin. Remember I was fourteen years old. I'm not even supposed to know you. How you get out there anyway? Jay Jay? This is when this is before. Ain't no nigga, none of that. This was Yeah, this was n ninety four, this Dead pressent because ninety six, no this Remember the album came out ninety six Dead Presence, I believe came out the end of ninety four, beginning of ninety.
Speaker 1: Five, ninety four. Yes, yeah, I'm telling you in the ninety four beginning.
Speaker 2: I was out there for a whole year before y'all got before Will Soccleoft did that, because you know Will Soccer lof is Stephen back Records.
Speaker 1: That's where I come from. Oh, I ain't know, I don't know who put.
Speaker 2: The event together, but I'm gonna tell you how I met Keith Murray.
Speaker 1: Right, so I'm listening to y'all.
Speaker 2: Right, We're going to fourteen, fifteen years old, going to New Orleans.
Speaker 1: Were deep.
Speaker 2: We on the plane, we land, we wait, we in baggage, clang, we get in our bags and then they go Keith Murray in though. So then all I see is Dame, you'll hold my jewelry jay a bike? Take it off their no, because they had start fighting. So that I'm standing there like, yo, niggas.
Speaker 4: Got beef with Keith hurry, and I thought this is the most ain't get you know the story?
Speaker 3: No who, So listen, wait, I gotta give you that perpose what happened, because this is crazy.
Speaker 1: I hear about I hear about that part.
Speaker 3: Murray was going to some type of restaurant where Damon was going to to. Murray saw some girl come by, So Murray is an alecs he hits Dame's car. H So now they end up going to some type of brunch a luncheon. So they're both in the same spot. So Dame, it's like, Yo, they're gonna hone me right there. This is not that and this so all of a sudden, Murray hit Dame over the head with the bottom in the club.
Speaker 1: No way.
Speaker 2: Yes, I I knew I heard that incident, but I ain't never know where it happened.
Speaker 3: So what you're saying, I don't know about that part. I know what happened with that.
Speaker 2: Yo, bro and New Orleans fresh off the plane on site. Now mind you, I never met Keith murd It's my first time.
Speaker 1: On the plane leaving the Projects.
Speaker 2: So I'm like, oh, this is how it is when you get off the plane. This just like the Projects, y'all. I swear to God, the niggas was rumbling in the air.
Speaker 1: I never heard that. I swear bro.
Speaker 2: That's my first time ever Keith Murray but that but that's where it came from. I ain't know that's where it started from here in his car, but I was bugging, like when the fuck we got beef with Keith?
Speaker 1: Yo?
Speaker 2: But nah, but y'all, man, they hit squad. What was that like, man? Because you said illegal and it was bad.
Speaker 3: Now you say Keith, Well see Mary and legal and and and I Leegal came after the breakup. So his card is E P M D dis effects K Solo and the Solo so so you had.
Speaker 2: I had you know that effects to so.
Speaker 3: So Solo was unique because of the spelling and like Nas is one of his favorite rappers. Because Solo said he was he would do something like it wasn't me. The rhyme did it, so we never heard nobody speaking third person and had the rhyme as a character doing damage.
Speaker 2: So he had the rhyme as one of his boys. You know when he said, so, Nas.
Speaker 3: Always speak about I was a fusitive before Soul stories too, and the technique and what he was doing and that's effects with the wiggedd wow, you know so this is and the Redman. So all my MC's were had styles that effects was under you two.
Speaker 1: It's his squad. I told you his squad.
Speaker 2: I didn't know yet, yo, that's how you know I didn't. Yeah, but that just thinking that's feature infany or something. I didn't pay attention to labels. Everybody that signed to me, Reggie, Doctor and Solo. No, man, you gotta be crassing the greatest fucking is in hip hop. Bro. Then that's why you hear my voice. They weren't effects. Some live effects snapper neck for some live effects.
Speaker 1: That's me, so exchange the game.
Speaker 3: So they did. They Doctor Becks did something for E. P. M. D. In the squad that was dope because they went platinum. So they opened up another lane that we didn't have. So when course over came boom, you know, gold album, this is not that and this partinum ops or whatever. They open stuff up because they I mean, they were spring Break.
Speaker 1: They were every white kids. They was just everywhere everywhere.
Speaker 3: So so that was But but the Death Squad is where Keith Murray and the Leader came.
Speaker 2: Two squads Squad and the Depth Squad. Yeah right, you're right yo, y'all fucking yo, bro. Legendary Ship gee, they gotta put you on the top with the legendary CEOs of the game. A pioneer of some of these probably wouldn't be no p no, no cash money, none of these type of CEOs. You one of the first, Like think about it, you give who else Michael Bivens was signing it? Yeah, you know what you like, It wasn't really Russell Simmons. Of course they were signing everybody, but it wasn't artists signing.
Speaker 3: Because don't forget, niggas was Don't forget. I had Dave Hallster too. That's depth squad, damn.
Speaker 1: So so you.
Speaker 3: Got the whole Monica, Dave Hallfono Hunter, all these people that too was under my monica, and I had other people that was coming.
Speaker 1: Don't forget.
Speaker 2: I could have signed Game, I could have signed Luda, I could have signed Wu Tang, I could have signed Rick Ross.
Speaker 1: Because these niggas was all with me. Fifty was on. All these people was.
Speaker 3: People that came to me and I produced it records set on my step on my basement floor. So so so you and then you got people like hit Maker who look for me for six months. He's one of the biggest songwriters in the world. But all these bleak that you can have some people that talk about some people. But when you watch the Wu Tangs series, that's why my name and stuff and.
Speaker 1: Your appeals all through it.
Speaker 3: Because again I was gonna sign and Ray Kuarn speaks about this, Yeah, I was gonna s sound with every the game talks about this. Yeah, I was gonna siund with Everic don't.
Speaker 2: Forget me Thisrius b I g was brought to me at a barber shop in Brooklyn. I did not listen to him. You look, yo, I don't got no cat with me. Ever Lion, you ain't listening yo. Big album was circulating Brooklyn streets before it came out.
Speaker 1: He went platinum.
Speaker 2: Before, but he wasn't nowhere near being looked at.
Speaker 1: He was still with seeing the basement. But the barber too, that.
Speaker 3: Knew something, that knew somebody who knew him. But get your Eric's here, bring Biggie through and I was like, get my hair cut, doing me. I'm about whatever you Okay, you're going to get with the check exactly. Damn man By. I got dubbed because of a chick she had that I know.
Speaker 1: I don't even know the.
Speaker 3: I don't know that was on my mind at the time, but I was already me had bread.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I don't forget he was on that rapper ship, but I had my own. Yeah, so you wasn't really like I'm good. I don't know, but.
Speaker 3: So and that's and then, yo, there's one person that didn't make it that you probably never heard of, but go back and listen to him.
Speaker 1: Jam message. Jay brought me this kid named Joe Sinister. I remember I heard of him. No, I heard of Joe Sinister. He was nice. He was nice. It's Joe sending stuff.
Speaker 2: He came in with Onyx and Redman said, Eric, listen, I know I'm mem but there's some nigga with honors with a backpack on it.
Speaker 1: This nigga is Dan nice. Yeah, he was nice metaphorically, Yo. He on my soul album too.
Speaker 3: That's why I couldn't even look at the biggie because now I got my uncle. And then I got this Joe Cents guy on my album too, because Jay came to the studio with him and we having to make a record. I like it, and I'm like, you know what, I'm gonna keep it because I'm here and metaphors that Reggie didn't do yet. And if Reggie brought him to me, what you're gonna mean? This is Reggie, he said, Eric, I ain't gonna It's a nigga with Homeboy.
Speaker 1: And I'm like.
Speaker 3: On the block with Christine spitting the Green Peace soup. I cocked nines smoking Nick Nick Nick with the Lothians.
Speaker 1: I'm like snigger, yo. He he was.
Speaker 3: So far out there, he said, I'm gonna shoot you in the head. The bullet is in there, paying rent in the brain as a vacancy, like the far it is not. I can't rhyme it, but the way that he put it together, suck my dick, fuck the ship forkx plicit what like? He was way ahead of time, way ahead of his time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I.
Speaker 2: Know some guys like that from the Prick, from the projects that never never got a shot, never a head of day time?
Speaker 1: Man, what you think? What what would you say? Cannabis too? He was death squad too, yo. How y'all lay him getting that drama then? Man? He was He left and got went to White Cliff.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm about to say. Yeah, why Cleff gave him that old you can.
Speaker 1: Give me that money. Give the money.
Speaker 2: He let l L get that boy work.
Speaker 3: But if listened to the beginning of his stuff on the radio, he's like, he says death squad and then he goes to rhyme had cannabis?
Speaker 2: Was a fucking assassin? Was he was a problem. And again you gotta listen, man. LL don't give a who it is.
Speaker 3: Don't forget LL was like Fox Brown on the record, MM conquer the world, iced t hammers and ice sheese girl. Still he don't care female raptors too.
Speaker 1: Yo. We on rampage smoke on the No, you're missing it.
Speaker 3: He on our record saying, you and your squad gonna face the real guard the undertake.
Speaker 1: This is us and he coming at your neck on your record on the record, same record.
Speaker 3: But but then he said on the break of dawn, give me that microphone, I'm gonna show you.
Speaker 1: The real meaning of the dangers. Yo. No, L was a problem.
Speaker 3: He didn't and I don't know that was just as instinct. But that's just how he was battled.
Speaker 2: Number one period. Anybody get that. Anybody can get it. Friend, naughty, that's right, you want to feature. I'm at your neck, man, But like I said, what what would you say? Your best your best business decision has been out your career.
Speaker 1: Again.
Speaker 3: It's a it's a Ketschwayne too because the breakup. You know, I think that if that didn't happen, I would have been I would have been inside of a system where I just made beats for my crew. The breakup was what was a gift and the curse too, because once I broke up, I was able to become what I become. Don't forget, man, I produced almost all the Wrap and half R and B. People don't look at my R and B and look at the d Angelo chicul the barge in Vogue, Mary Joy, Angie Stone. You know this is a piece. You know, Black Street keep sweat. I can keep going on R and B Groundstone, so you can. Everybody that you're looking at before before they see me as hip hop.
Speaker 1: But I did this too.
Speaker 2: That's high clip crazy, Like, Yeah, your production bag is insane.
Speaker 1: That's what I told you.
Speaker 2: Like You're legend in both atmospheres of the game, rapping and production, and it's insane.
Speaker 1: Not everybody can do that.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I'm a force right now, niggas, You're not me. I tried Blaze brought all equipment for me, the beat Machine Guru and just Blaze was in my house setting up everything because I'm like, yo, I'm gonna learn how to make Maybe I got this ship, bro, I couldn't get past the tick on the NPC the ship that you make the drum padd too. I was all, yeah again, go back to that, like this is my crew. To DJ Twins and Rock Waller.
Speaker 3: Gave biggest right and Twins too, they learned because they watched. So my right is watching Rock Wilder and watching and Twins a long time.
Speaker 1: Eric. If it wasn't for you a nigga, he wouldn't know none of this ship. That's crazy saying no, I couldn't. I tried.
Speaker 2: I knew production and producing that's a whole You tried it. I tried, Yeah, I said, you said you you hit one button and couldn't do it.
Speaker 1: Y'all.
Speaker 2: Nigga's producers to me are insane because you can just listen.
Speaker 1: It's quiet, and y'all could be like, yo, you hear that?
Speaker 2: No here what and then nigga go to the beat Machine that like, Yo, what the fuck did you just hear?
Speaker 1: So, yeah, it's not.
Speaker 3: For me just when I was down at one of like again sometimes you get the low. It was Kanye West for me. Yeah, no he was when when I that the album I'm Like Man. And then the Long Hill two also woke me up.
Speaker 2: Because of her drums though too Kan because him and just blazed the me where the two illess samplers like they won't send me more record and flipping it where you wouldn't even know when Blaze because I need to get some of that money back. Okay, So.
Speaker 3: That React beat was out, feather Meth had it, Jamai pre had it whatever, and Dame got mad afterwards. Make sure you before you give stuff out. Boom boom, Dame niggas had to be so just didn't do nothing wrong again, somebody from the label went right to Agie Martinez.
Speaker 2: Bus Is Cole has got already at it. So now you get to stick me up now?
Speaker 1: Oh shit, yo, just Blaze telling the story to this day.
Speaker 2: His biggest check they got me for sixty racks six sixty two.
Speaker 1: Thousand and two.
Speaker 3: He said that's the most money he ever got for a record, sixty thousand. Because Dane was like, fuck all that the records out sixty Yo, I deserved some money. That money back, just just about ten thousand of it.
Speaker 1: Yo, that's it, sane. I forgot just did that record for you? I come on, just blaze, coming on. Yeah, that's crazy. Whatever she said, I'm that yo.
Speaker 3: Yeah, y'all because the whole thing, the fact that again it was the perfect thing to say though, man, because nobody know what he says. Say want somebody said, yo, Eric's good. She's talking about suicide. I'm like, you know the weathers. I'm like, come on now, enough with that. Now she's talking about who said all this stuff?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that ship bullshit? But bro, you done been through the label drama of course, group drama, industry ship health scarce.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I had a heart attack of twenty eleven. You know what I mean. I'm glad to see you still with us. You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: What what what's your strength behind everything that keep you going?
Speaker 1: You know for those who who might need that motivation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, my best friend passed away was my mother two and a half years ago.
Speaker 1: And I gotta say this one thing too.
Speaker 3: I know I say a lot too too, but Kanye West helped me out a lot, no way, because when I when I was flying down to do Kanye West. My mother had told my sister make sure Erika on that plane. So I landed in La May thirtieth and the phone ring my boy, but nod passed me.
Speaker 1: The phone was my sister and said mom passed away. Right.
Speaker 3: My mother knew that she didn't want me to be there. So when I got there, Kanye West said, yo, e, my mom's died.
Speaker 1: I went to work, come to the lab them all.
Speaker 2: So I stayed with Kane, Kanrie, and and and Kanye in the lab. About five months we was in the camp and his twenty five thousand square feet the thing he had. Then we went to the addition he had to owe the whole a floor. What me and Ye was doing was not what vultures was. Right, So when I went home to bury my mother, I flew to Italy right. So when I got to Italy, I see my songs on the board, but then Todd Dollards sound was there, so that.
Speaker 1: Whole thing switched switched.
Speaker 2: So so because I was like, yo, yay, where's the rhymes at? Like why ain't no rhymes on you? So he calls the meet and like, yo, bring Eric in. Yo, Eric says there is no rhyme.
Speaker 1: We got start.
Speaker 2: I put some rhymes on here, so I had the ear, but it just got lost.
Speaker 1: So I left.
Speaker 2: Italy, you know, and I'm like, damn, you know, I want to spend the year, you know, just trying to put stuff together.
Speaker 1: And it changed.
Speaker 2: You know, that's crazy, kan he he goes on different this sound that sound quick. But I'm never going to be able to know when people say about what how he is. I know what he did for me at a time, at the time when when my mother passed away. So when I'm going back to your question, how do I where my experiences came from?
Speaker 1: It came from her.
Speaker 3: So everything that I do, how I speak, how I acting, how I was raised, was from her. So I know that when I I die, only I go.
Speaker 2: Like Denzel had made a quote like you've never seen a U hole behind the hers, which is true, continue on with you. So why I'm here, I just don't want to be labeled as no asshole when niggas talking about me or when I go. So I've always been a humble person. So when because you're gonna forget Lord is loyalty respect you can't buy. So when people say what's one you're going to choose loyal to respect is the respect part because loyalty can easily be easy be it can be tampered with and can be fake, can can be fake. But respect you got to own that you can't. So again, I just had to respect for my whole time being in the game. And my boys say too, Eric, when your name is mentioned, shit open up and niggas listen, they're like, oh, you know, you know whatever, And that part right there makes it feel like, you know what I did my job?
Speaker 1: That's right, you know. Now, that's what's up.
Speaker 2: What advice would you give the young artists today navigating the industry?
Speaker 3: I would tell them too that it's a business too, and the fact that the independency you come from it don't forget. That's why when you watch the backstage and you see Dame Barkin, is you right?
Speaker 1: You didn't do nothing for me? I did this work, That's right, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: So the more so the advice I give, the more work you put in.
Speaker 1: For yourself, the better it will be from you. Don't forget.
Speaker 3: We was all independent Fresh records, you know, Zakiah fucking Boogie, you know, you know, Boogie Down Records, all this stuff that all these independence came from. They all came from independence, all of this, you know, profile Rundom Sees, all before they got signed to majors. So the independent game was already always there. So be independent. Try to own as much as you possibly can so you can navigate with it and be able to move with it or have ownership and then keep it.
Speaker 2: One hundred sent you. If you go to McDonald's every day at three o'clock, then write about it, cause that's your story.
Speaker 3: Don't tell somebody else's story because that kid will find out that that's not your story.
Speaker 1: You're lying.
Speaker 2: That's right, that's for yo. That's some of the advice Jay used to tell me as a kid man. When the lines run out, the rhymes run out. So yeah, but I heard I heard you. I heard you on the covered thing. Though Beaker was was mad? Was mad real that you said yo? He's like yo, I was wild. I'm glad that he didn't.
Speaker 1: He didn't.
Speaker 2: He didn't bring me. He'd be because I was out of control. So he's talking about me how to control. He was out of control too. Yeah, I was way out of control. I knew I was, but I knew how to stay off the off the scene with the mind got controlled in the fact, but the fact that you were a greater picture, A lot of niggas would not.
Speaker 3: I still want to roll like nigga take take me. You knew, like listen, I'm I can be a liability.
Speaker 2: I'm not in the right thing like man, like you know, my mentality and what I'm thinking about conjeopardize everything, like because remember Jay got to a point where he became larger than life like and it's like, I've still always got to worry about that. What if somebody tried to homie even though he got security for that, But I'm not relying on them people, you know what I'm saying. So it's like if some go down, I'm the guy. I'm ready. We always ready everybody. So it's like, you don't need me to be around looking at something and thinking it's something that is not and then I go off the I go left and do something I'm not supposed to do and now would jeopardize everything we work for, everything, everybody trying to get to And because I'm still on this hood mentality, you know what I was still.
Speaker 1: I heard you, and I'm like, yot.
Speaker 3: A lot of niggas won't do that because niggas want to be understand.
Speaker 1: I knew that a train was too squizzing for me.
Speaker 2: I had to go back to the g right exactly, no doubt, like word tell me about it's been more than a decade. I want to know what made you. I know what made you getting. I'm an artist with the love. But tell me about this new album. Oh yeah, a couple of your new singers too. I don't know why why you stop going?
Speaker 1: Yo?
Speaker 3: You believe you y't talk about you off came about this too, because if you because I seen you thirty right now off the clip, like right now after becose, I seen you thirty records right now working.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, okay, cool, that's great. I don't want you.
Speaker 3: Here's why I did dynamic duos In twenty nineteen. I was like, yo, why are my colleagues working? I didn't I didn't understand who told you to stop making records?
Speaker 1: So COVID came.
Speaker 2: So two years went by, but Kevin Lowes I was going to go sign with Alan Grumblack, and then Kevin Lowes called Alan Sayo Alan, that's too big for you.
Speaker 1: Let me get that ever Sermon album.
Speaker 3: So I signed with three hundred, so I was making the record The Cohen sells three hundred, four hundred and fifty million to Julie and Mike guys Atlantic. So time go by. So what you see Na's doing, I was doing that four years ago. So now it just happened to be coming out. So I was like, there's twenty three bleak about twenty three or twenty four rap groups, duos and hip hop if.
Speaker 1: You look it up.
Speaker 3: So I was already gonna be doing how many that I can do, So I'm gonna do a Volume one and a Volume two. So now was I got volume Volume one coming right again. It took a while two for the clearances because I was clear I had to clear Biggie Tupac, M Prodigy, Nate Dogg, and Sean Price right, so all that took time too. So now I gotta say, Okay, some stuff didn't come back, some stuff didn't, but the stuff that's coming out in December fifth on the Dynamic Duels, Volume one's Cypress Hills and Op E p M d Snoop Dogg and Nate Little Wayne Conway, the Machine Game, Read and meth Dog Pound Helter Skelter, Right, So.
Speaker 2: That's right man, shut out Rock and Rock Price rest Rock.
Speaker 3: And I said, mom, deep, so it's twelve records coming, you know, so then and then volume two you know it'll be where it is. I already know because I'm already got whatever's coming out. But right now December fifth for those that was waiting because people be like, yo, Eric is lying, you do he's doing the Detox ship coming, but they don't know the parts of again to the label going Clarence.
Speaker 1: Is the whole nine so all that should take time.
Speaker 3: So but but but again, I was doing it because my colleagues wasn't making records at the time they make a records now by the time, nobody was moving.
Speaker 1: So I was like, if you if, if you need, if you.
Speaker 3: Can't go in in because you don't want to know how to make a then you can't.
Speaker 2: And I'm going to be the services for you. I'm gonna take care all of it for you. And they was down with it.
Speaker 1: That's right now, that's dope, man.
Speaker 2: I respect like guys like you, like you got Salt and Pepper public.
Speaker 1: I forgot about Pepper.
Speaker 2: So yeah, you know you're all linkeding with the new generation and bridging that gap.
Speaker 1: Like what that?
Speaker 2: What's that's like working with the Conway machines and like you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: But but'get blead this. I work with everybody.
Speaker 3: And one thing about me, like said the respect part, if I DM somebody, it's very rare.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna get to know. That's right, you know, because niggas on the respect thing.
Speaker 3: So what you're hearing right now is just again was my error that I already had done. That's why you hear the Conway New one, because that's where I was going. I was going with to mix the new with it with the old exactly, so you were so you were hear more of that connection on Volume two, Yes, where I would have like a ge Herbal with with somebody who who rhyming or cor Day or somebody in that type of situation rhyming with new people. And then if I do do a Volume three, it'll be me pushing the music forward with new people, with two new rappers, with an album of this new rappers that you never heard before, or the newest of the new you know, because once you put the jump out the window.
Speaker 1: Anybody like yo, yo yo. When when they heard these names, yo.
Speaker 2: I did a locks record, so I played it yesterday on the on their show, Jada was like, holy shit.
Speaker 3: I'm like, so, do you want me to keep it or you want to change it? Because he forgot what this sounds. He's like, no, you keep that one. We do another, but keep that one though too. So you know again, these people know what I'm capable of. I'm not a person too bleak. Well, you gotta tell me it's over. I'm too I'm gonnacity to take it like your boy.
Speaker 1: I know when it's over.
Speaker 2: Yes, you know how to tell me I'm whack like I don't like I mean tripping. My thing is, you can never be whack because you're not a whack person. You have to be to be whack. You have to be a whack person. Right, Just make a whack rhyme, your life, dress club, your lifestyle, everything.
Speaker 3: Got You're right, You're right, and I tell people too. But I'm not going to be the one that's hanging on trying to be.
Speaker 1: For you. I ain't gonna mention no name.
Speaker 3: But somebody had said something over fifteen years ago and Jay was still getting busy, you know, part of Who the Rappers. He said, yeah, man, he should move over and ship and let other niggas eat, we know, something like.
Speaker 1: When I heard that, I was like, huh no, you step your game up, get in the ring. You get in the ring.
Speaker 3: You want the nigga to stop because he's still eating. When I heard that, I lost it. But I of course I can't go back. I'm not going to go and dress somebody. But when I heard that, I was like, plus, your excuse me, bless you. But but you know what I'm talking about?
Speaker 2: That Yeah, yeah, you know, we ain't got to say no dames. Man, they know the shoe fits.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly right, Yo, What do you want people to say about you when it's all over? Like what you wanted them to say? Eric Sherman, who he was.
Speaker 2: I was a good dude because I did last shit for free and I gave I gave half of my money away, but I did shit on the strength. To mad people who I don't even know say that he was just a good dude, Like my mother was a giver. At my mother's funeral, mostly everybody who came out was like, oh, Belinda, was a giver. Oh, Belinda was a giver. So I learned that my mother was before I got on.
Speaker 3: My mother used to she didn't really like Sometimes if she was in her whole check, she would borrow twenty dollars to get to the next person that needed it.
Speaker 1: I've never seen that before. You know what I'm saying, so again.
Speaker 3: At one time, that's want people to know that part of me like no matter what, And my sister tells people, now, my brother is so simple.
Speaker 2: I don't know how you can argue with him or be in conference with him because he don't want much.
Speaker 3: Eric is already an introvert, so after that he wanted to either binge, watch TV or is not that in this or if you got jobs to do.
Speaker 2: I'm never late to never never want an interview. I never went to late to nothing.
Speaker 3: I've never been late to a performance for a promoter, I respect their time. You got to respect somebody's time. So it's very important.
Speaker 2: My man and Jo always told me, man, if you ain't ten minutes earlier, you ten minutes late exactly.
Speaker 1: And nobody want to work with an artist that they got to wait for.
Speaker 2: No, but if anybody, I don't care who to respect somebody's time.
Speaker 1: That's right all the time.
Speaker 2: Do you feel like it's a story that haven't been told that you feel like needs to be still told about? Eric Chrirman sermon, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: You know, you know, at once at one time though complete it's so your bleiker. I ain't gonna lie, man, it feels it feels normal, you know, with people that you don't hang out with, but it's still your bo That's how this feels though too. Again, when I see some of my people's who I haven't seen in a while, and no matter what if we don't hang out, it's still like your butter's still loved.
Speaker 1: But there's real people. But but you actually say say it again?
Speaker 2: I say, do you feel like it's a story that I had that hasn't been told that at one at one time I used to be the underrated story.
Speaker 3: I used to always be like, damn, why niggas don't you know? Not my colleagues. But when you talk about other ship, listen, I'm in fifty percent of those lists. But are y'all looking at the work work? That's right, it's only a few of me, you know. So you so if you're gonna talk about somebody because again that's why I bring up Larry Smith. Niggas leave them out, but sucking sees Slick Ricks Houdini. You know when you hear these big records, it's this man. Then you got to look at Molly Maul without him sampling like then and go forward on that level.
Speaker 1: Probably wouldn't be just Blazes, Kanye.
Speaker 2: Well, none of us because he was like, yo, I'm a sample, you know.
Speaker 3: So again, at the end of the day, I look at myself, JERMAINEU Prito, a few others, don't forget. Yeah, but Justin was able to come in the era where okay, the producers.
Speaker 1: Name was getting recog Now you've got.
Speaker 2: The metro booms and you yeah, you know seducers getting booked.
Speaker 1: For sure, exactly.
Speaker 3: So again I just I used to look at that, but but I'm like this too. The legendary part of it is they will know because when it's a need to know, they will know that's right.
Speaker 1: And yeah, legends, man, Like I said, E P O.
Speaker 2: D Man, Hit Squad, depth squad, everything, y'all done. Man, it's been I've been watching from a far bro and I've been a fan.
Speaker 1: You ship when I first met you.
Speaker 2: You treated me like you knew me for a hundred years and we've been brothers and been in love ever since.
Speaker 3: In my car I played it, I put a blueprint from the top to the bottom. And so so when you come up with the rulers back and just keep because don't forget it, there's no skip, that's right, you know.
Speaker 2: So my momentum comes from this. So who in the world can lie to somebody's face and say you ain't a fan of j You're a liar.
Speaker 1: That's like you.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm about to say. Man, Oh no, I watched j be like you're your e.
Speaker 1: So you made all that ship? I member?
Speaker 3: He was say one time after Jones beat Ship and they're gonna watch the sow maybe ten fifty years ago, and they came out the car, so either me let me ask me what he said, Yo.
Speaker 1: You made all that ship.
Speaker 3: So I guess they was playing it in the car the day before, playing all E P M D. Because because again I'm like, I heard Jay say relax mind on twice on the fucking Dynasty album. I'm like, yo, you know.
Speaker 2: Like I was a big influence to a lot of us, bro and like, don't ever think.
Speaker 1: You you're not amongst those, the JD's and the like. Bro.
Speaker 2: When niggas say your name, they know the classics. You pure, yo, the classics.
Speaker 1: You rather time.
Speaker 3: Gotta stop because it's my partner boogie boogie, And he said, Eric, everybody who when they're in front of you say the same thing, why can't you see it? My sister would be like, why can't you see it? My mother used to be like, I be like, yo, ma, I saw stances last night. She was like, and they saw you, they saw you.
Speaker 2: That's right, because you know why you can't see it because you living in there. If you took a chance and just step back and just look outside of your life and inside.
Speaker 1: You'll see it for all y'all say it.
Speaker 2: See.
Speaker 3: My sister used to get mad too, and I'll be like, yo, Kim, I can't help it. I don't know no other way because even though mom says it, my humble note comes from this. And what's the Simmons said, Eric, you humble to a fault because you gotta at a certain way sometimes and walk in the room sometimes like you're you.
Speaker 2: Like as we say in My Man, you gotta drag your nuts sometime. Let these niggas hold on me too.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: Sometimes when I'm going I take my nuts up right now and have them bleeding in the middle of sweet niggas. I would do it, not in front of me. I would talks. So what's next for you, man? Okay, I'm gonna.
Speaker 2: Pick up the the the eighty eight fresh I got coming on Stars.
Speaker 1: It's a four documentary series.
Speaker 3: I got a thing called Beat some Bars out there where I go to ten cities.
Speaker 1: You go on the web, you see it.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: I go to ten City Eas and Bars, Sway the executive with my boy Nails.
Speaker 1: We go and.
Speaker 3: I go, and I go this difference season, and I've been out fifty rappers and twenty five producers and then we picked one out of each one and then we go to ten cities and they all would battle at the end of New York and ten producers and the in the ten rods and then.
Speaker 2: They get to split two hundred and fifty grand. So, so that show is coming out soon too on Netflix. And yeah, Beat and Bars. So but you go on there too, you will see the cities that we went to. So far, me Sway and and and Nails shout out Sway and nails Man, nails Man, my God, Sway, my guy.
Speaker 1: Nails on the beat too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Okay, And then I got death Rugs out there, which is my sister Kay sermon to who's I'm taking part of my percentage back.
Speaker 2: But but, but, but but we do rugs for everybody.
Speaker 1: Everybody has our rugs.
Speaker 3: In their house and got tapping in So go on death Rugs dot com or go to death Rugs on on Instagram, whatever, and you will see I don't care who you name, sports, fucking rappers, fucking whatever we did. Everyone has has my material. And then my boy Unique Order Sports. You know, Will Will been doing all your carts forever, so he's still doing it. Matter of fact, he I think he just did. Fact Joe's Rose Royce just recently inside the thing, and he had Camelo Anthony's cyber truck in there a couple of times.
Speaker 1: So it's always Wills, but me and him as partners.
Speaker 3: Now we got some shit colls to what you say it to on a small scale, right, So it's what you're saying podcast. We're getting that together, but it's not going to be in the like a scale like that. It's just something that we're doing.
Speaker 1: As him.
Speaker 3: Will was the first one to do my Car next and eighty eight he put my ragtop on and did my car, one of the first cars he ever did. So so we go back thirty seven years, so so on, on on so on that part. Those what we have now with I got going on now and along with the volume two, my boy Boogie has Boogie Knights coming now, Eric Simonsons. Boogie Knights have the underground people like nature, you know, Ali Vegas, the.
Speaker 1: Hoodies, Vegas, I heard that name.
Speaker 2: That Nigga's always been dangerous, the hoodies. Who else Fregol Bass, Ufo Fieve So.
Speaker 1: Yeah me.
Speaker 3: So all the underground parts that I didn't do is on that project too.
Speaker 1: Did the new Eric.
Speaker 2: Sermon produced Memphis Bleak produced by Eric Sermon, all of it because listen no, no, listen no, because the days of the one producer is gone. That's why Alchemists did so much work for the past year. Freddie Gibbs, fucking Larry June, you know. And it didn't do most of the more deep but again still mob deep and.
Speaker 1: The project with you. I'm working on the project right now with cooland dre. I need to. So you're doing the covering. It doesn't matter the more material you have. Don't forget.
Speaker 3: You're the one that's saving your publishing, that's right. So so you build your catalog up, right. So now you got these four or five albums here, if you want to do this, See the people don't understand. Say, if you got this new publishing and you got this here too, you might not want to sell your shit, but THEWS. But the new stuff I can make a million dollars deal with, and then I can I can keep going.
Speaker 1: That's right, Keep going. That's a game for young people.
Speaker 2: Watch, that's right, keep going, reinvest man, Yo, I appreciate you stopping by.
Speaker 1: My brothers. Good seeing you, good health, good spirits.
Speaker 3: Hey listen, man, this is it's a lot and sexy right here. But listen, hey, jeez, you better stop. No, but listen, man, this is what I tell people all the time. Like my birthday is November twenty.
Speaker 2: Fifth, right, oh right there, man, shipday.
Speaker 3: So I'll be in a Lanta with my with my dad who just turned eighty, and my sisters. My mom lived there before she passed away, and so my sisters are there.
Speaker 2: My two sisters and then my nieces and nephews. So I'll be sending my birthday there and my son is.
Speaker 3: My twenty year old Earls company, and I be going from things given to Miami where I live at to too.
Speaker 1: But I got a basil I'll be. I've never been there before. I'll be there.
Speaker 3: So so I'm doing you could take this out do I'm doing Drink Champs Live on the third.
Speaker 2: That's my partners Okay, okay, I'm doing that on the third, and then I'm gonna go around too because I'm recently. You see, I don't want to tell these women that this is valuable because you're gonna start a frenzy.
Speaker 3: Listen if you see me right like, oh you got that's the green Eye bandit to just back it.
Speaker 1: Up and slow it down something, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Because I'm not gonna be and none of my cars I'm gonna be in the uber because they like that too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, because I want to pull nothing out. But listen, they like.
Speaker 4: Yo the floors and that niggas be doing, like Yo, you don't need that no more like you brother, you got you're broke because you think that car is gonna get you that and then Nigga, right now, that's home.
Speaker 2: Ride a skateboard, get that straight? You out here broke yep frying, you don't need none of that. I remember, yo, you saying that before we go. I remember I wanted to Bentley. I'm telling whole my credit wasn't right, y'all? Need you the coach sign for the bit for me? He's like, what you need a Bnley for? You got the six hundred. So I'm like, yo, bro, you know what type of joints I could get with the big he said? You know that all the girls take their clothes off the same way, whether you walk, drive, or get off the bus.
Speaker 1: He said, so if they get naked different, then I get you the benchget Tarius. Same mind.
Speaker 2: How rich you are, there's no rich restaurant for you, that's right. I'm still We're still going to rob or say let's or child.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: A rich bathroom for you. You know which store for you? They take you in the back door. I'm walking in there. I'm still eating with You're still going in the same soup to a market with you. You're still going in the same clothes. One hundred percent there's no there's no for the people. It's just the same guy.
Speaker 1: You might have money, but I still can shop.
Speaker 2: At the same same store. That's right, man, you already know what it is. Man, my brother to thank you, let me do a drop, hookie.
Speaker 1: This is rock solid.
Speaker 2: You know what it is, brought to you by du say Eric Shermon, not Sherman.
Speaker 1: You know what it is.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: I'm going to keep put Memphis on blasts right now because this is crazy.
Speaker 2: He's not gonna speak about this. What but Puffy became a billionaire.
Speaker 1: Alcohol mm hmm e forty Rick Ross.
Speaker 3: Anybody that got this, So I don't know how much money you're making. But this nigga is lying, yo, because.
Speaker 2: Because I'm shopping in the same super boxus.
Speaker 3: Because because Aces Spade, anybody team who has alcohol has paper. So Bleak is able behind able to hide behind the marriage because now I'm home with the white beet so I'm not in the street. But that money because Snoop Dogg is like that too, Nigga, Snoop, we know you paid Nigga, Like, yo, stop it, Bleak. I'm just keeping the one hundred whoever is at the job. And that's who's ever is an employee and y'all didn't getting no Christmas bonus. Somebody speak up.
Speaker 2: You know what it is he's do save my feet?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you can do it with which one? You know what a right?
Speaker 3: He dub my name myself twice. Man, I'm the George Girvin the rap. Call me the Iceman. It's Eric Sermon, the bandit half of e pm D thirty Death Squad. I'm here, right here with Memphis Bleach on rock solid. Rock solid, I never knew again. Let me do it again.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, it's good. Okay, you'll cut off. I'm doing all my time. I'm right here.
Speaker 3: He dub my name myself twice. Man, I'm the George Girvin, the rap, Call me the Iceman. It's Eric Sermon, the bandit half of epm D you thirty Death Squad. I'm here, my man, man, my brother Memphis Bleach here on rock solid. And don't get it twisted.
Speaker 2: I know he twisted is the name people are so all the time, but don't get it fucked up.
Speaker 1: Holler.
Speaker 2: For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit iHeart Radio, app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows at and you could follow me on any social media platform under the name it's bleak. You see anybody frow and flagg him