Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: From New York City, the only city in America. It's The Show, then Intested news This It's The Daily Show with your home the Show.
Speaker 3: Welcome, Welcome to The Daily Show. Welcome, Welcome to The Daily Show. I'm Michelle Wolf and I am back again.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 3: Yes, apparently for every hostage freed in the Middle East, I get to host one extra night. I don't know how my agents sneaked out into the Seaspire deal, but here we are, and we've got a great show for you tonight. So let's get to the headlines. Let's begin with our friend George Santos. It's pat of Congress. I'm sorry, but what is he? Is He a man, a woman, Asian, Latina, Latina, several children stacked on top of each other, an old woman from the future. But one thing we know for sure. He'll be a Congressman for at least a few more hours.
Speaker 5: The clock is now ticking on the brief, tumultuous congressional career of New York Republican George Santos.
Speaker 4: The House can vote as early as tomorrow and whether to expel the unbattled Republican after an investigation found evidence of flagrant ethics violations, but he's not going down quietly.
Speaker 5: I have co a colleague who are more worried about getting drunk every night with the next lobbyists that they're going to screw and pretend like none of us know what's going on. Happens every single week. Where are the ethics investigations? And that within the United States Congress, there's Fellon's door, There's people with all sorts of sisty backgrounds, and all of a sudden, George Santos is the very Magdalene of the United States Congress.
Speaker 3: Yes, the Mary Magdalene of Congress.
Speaker 6: This is just like George Santos, you know which Biblical center I am the hot one.
Speaker 3: But let's make one thing very clear. If any Republican is Mary Magdalene, it's Ronda Santis. I mean with those hooker boots. Come on, he's clearly working the streets at night. He's like, I'll seck you if you teach me how to smile normal. Okay, where was I? Yeah, George Santo's he's about to be just the sixth person in history to get thrown out of Congress, and he thinks it's unfair because everyone else is corrupt too, which, yeah, definitely, we know the government is corrupt, and all these guys are doing the same thing you do, George. The difference is they're doing it way better than you. It's so easy to figure out your crimes. It's not even fun. It's like doing an escape room in a gazebo. And the thing is, the thing is, I do believe you, George. I do believe that congressmen are getting drunk, sleeping with lobbyists, and profiting as much as possible at the expense of the people. We all know that already. What we don't know are the specifics. Tell us who, what, where, which orifics we need you, George, snitch, snitch my sweater vested friend. In fact, we'll make a deal, right We'll make a deal with you right now. You can stay in Congress if you're our inside guy, you know, our little congress TMZ. I'll even move to your district to vote for you. Where is this district. It's long Island. I will tell people to move to your district. And just by the way, if you want to survive this explosion, vote maybe try just try to take one photo where you don't look like you were caught while committing a crime. Well, guy, it looks like he's rifling through Nancy Pelosi's purse while she's in the bathroom, or like he's saying, don't mind me just duct taping a knife under this chair for no reason. That's the look I give when when someone in the second floor window sees me peeing in an alley. That's the kind of photo they tape up next to the Sepphoria register. Like this guy can't back, come back, he keeps licking the testers. But let's move on to some big news out of the twenty twenty four election, our twenty twenty four lead. Come guys, cue the music.
Speaker 7: You know I love the election.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 3: It's like Elvis Costello than me. Hold on, come on, Tapper, is this really what news is now? Are you just trying to be relatable? I don't want relatable. I want reliable. If I want relatable shit, I'll go on TikTok. Who gets a guy that's like, what's up? Fam? I'm gonna give you the lowdown on why Bounden bin Laden is a milf. Let's try again with someone else, because this is big news. It looks like some of America's most influential billionaire election medlers have just made a brand new purchase.
Speaker 8: Big news today, in the twenty twenty four presidential election, Nikki Haley picked up the endorsement of the political action Network founded by the billionaire Koch Brothers in the Republican primary. The influential group is launching a multimillion dollar ad campaign this week in all early voting states. And this gives the former South Carolina governor and you an ambassador, a major boost less than seven weeks before the Iowa caucuses.
Speaker 3: Oh, Nikki Haley, shattering the glass ceiling of dark money. You go grow Seriously, this is a big gift for her. With the backing of the coke neckwork, she could go from losing to Trump and DeSantis to just losing to Trump. This is like giving someone a step stool to install a light bulb. I mean, yeah, you're closer, but you're still gonna need like three Polish people. What do you want, guys? I got one more day here, Okay, let's do more jokes to get mad about. And don't get me wrong, I'm glad that a gross old billionaire is giving money to a woman, and it's not to shit on his chest because that that feels like progress. But Nikki Haley, are you picturing it? Is it steaming in your mind? It's hot poop and it's a very cold chick more. Okay, Nikki Hilly, this is she's literally down fifty points to Donald Trump. She has less chance of being president than Hillary Clinton. Yeah. I know it's said should have gone to Wisconsin, Hillary, It's a direct flight you could have gone. Look, Republicans voters have been very clear they want Donald Trump, and Democratic voters have been very not clear. They're just like, I don't know, man, Uh, do you know a guy? Maybe someone young? You know, someone seventy eight, seventy nine. But Trump is going to be the Republican nominee, So it doesn't matter how much money billionaires spend propping up other candidates. It's all a waste of money. I almost feel bad for these guys. They're so used to being able to buy the president, and this time they're sitting on their yacht going, what's wrong with our money button? It's not working. I think it's stock.
Speaker 9: Charles, did you splooge on the money button again?
Speaker 3: Can you believe we can say splooge. And the crazy thing is I actually wish it would work this time. I wish they could buy the election. Listen, in a perfect world, billionaires wouldn't influence elections. But we're clearly not in a perfect world because Donald Trump is winning. So billionaires, get your act together and buy this election. Bye this election, Bye this election, Bye this election. Oh my god, you guys are a bunch of sheeps. And finally, in business news, Bye Bye Baby is reopening stores again after going bankrupt earlier this year. And when I heard this news, at first, I got very excited because I heard Bye Bye Baby is back, and I thought for a second that meant abortion was legal again. But unfortunately it's just a store. So for more on the revival of Bye Bye Baby, let's go to live Now to Grace Koleinchmid not great, Grace, this is great news for young parents like me, Oh is it?
Speaker 9: How about you think of someone besides yourself for once in your goddamn life, Like I don't know someone who had the genius idea of moving into a Bye Bye Baby three months ago and now has nowhere to go.
Speaker 3: Grace, have you been living in an abandoned Bye Bye baby.
Speaker 9: Not Initially, At first, I was just hired to come in and clean out the rat traps. But once I got in here, I realized it's.
Speaker 3: The perfect house.
Speaker 10: It's close to work, it's spacious, and baby wipes are basically the same thing as showering. Plus there's so many squeezy apple sauces and mush carrots.
Speaker 3: I may never have to chew food again. Gray sweet, put that down, put that it's not snack time.
Speaker 9: But I'm honey, and now that the story is coming back, what am I gonna do?
Speaker 3: I know you could get an apartment, like an adult who's not a baby get an apartment.
Speaker 9: Why America is littered with giant carcasses of retail chains that were fuck blood dry by private equity.
Speaker 3: I should hit to live here before the raccoons do.
Speaker 9: Plus, have you seen the housing market? Low inventory, sky, high interest rates, and once you move in there's all kinds of sharp corners and exposed outlets.
Speaker 3: It's scowy. I'm sorry, Grace, but you had to know you couldn't live in a store forever.
Speaker 9: It's not just my house, it's also my income. I have a very sick, sucessful OnlyFans accounts.
Speaker 3: Just from living here. You have no idea how.
Speaker 9: Many people will pay an adult woman to do tummy time.
Speaker 3: This nation has problems, It certainly does, so how are you going to stop Bye Bye baby from moving back in?
Speaker 9: Luckily, if there's one thing I learned, it's that if I shut my eyes, the problem will disappear.
Speaker 3: Grace, Grace, you have object permanence.
Speaker 9: No, I don't know, I don't You're wrong, you're wrong.
Speaker 3: Where'd you go? Where'd you go? Where did you go? Grace? We're going to talk about this later, Grace Grace school inshmid everybody. When we come back, we find out the best way to lose all your money. So so go away, Welcome back to the Daily Show. There's one thing that we Americans love, it's going deeper into debt. We'll put anything on the credit card, whether it's the latest iPhone we just gotta have or that new kidney transplant that we really seriously got a half, and American banks are happy to lend us money however we want, including one type of loan that you might have seen advertise on TV.
Speaker 1: Homeowners in need of cash can take out a special loan called a reverse mortgage. It lets homeowners borrow money against the value of their home and only repay when they die or sell the home. Critics argue that reverse mortgages can quickly bury people under debt, forcing them out of their homes and their children out of inheritance, and some lenders have even been fined for deceiving customers, but that hasn't stopped lenders from targeting elderly homeowners with ads featuring celebrities like Tom Selleck. This isn't my first rodeo, And let me tell you something.
Speaker 10: I wouldn't be here if I thought reverse mortgages took advantage of any American senior.
Speaker 3: That's right, a reverse mortgage, you just sign over your house to Tom Selleck in exchange for money and something something everybody wins. It's not a scam. It's not. If it was a scam, why would they advertise it NonStop to elderly people. Now, of course, there's always going to be some companies that are going to sell reverse mortgages and bad faith. Luckily, there's a new company with a celebrity that you can really trust. Hi.
Speaker 6: I'm Michelle Wolf with agg and like anyone walking down a country road, I'm here to sell you a reverse mortgage.
Speaker 7: It's time to consider a reverse mortgage.
Speaker 6: Most people think a reverse mortgage is a financial skin.
Speaker 3: To trick old people out of their homes.
Speaker 6: With AGG our programs, different AGG also gives you legal ownership.
Speaker 3: Of a course.
Speaker 6: Most reverse mortgages and with you losing your house, or dying and losing your house, or dying and losing your.
Speaker 3: House and saddling your kids with debt. But with Reverse Mortgage Horse, you won't have time.
Speaker 6: To worry about any of that because you're also going to have a horse, a full grown, often problematic horse. I'm talking emotional issues, severe dietary.
Speaker 3: Restriction, some of them literally wanted for crimes.
Speaker 6: You'll be spending so much time on the horse you won't even notice all the debt you've taken on. And when you die, most likely because the horse killed you.
Speaker 3: Your kids will be left with that debt. But don't worry, they'll also be left with the horse.
Speaker 6: Thanks to Agg's policies, your children won't be able to sell or kill the horse. They'll be so mad at you they won't even be sad you're gone. That's why I Reverse Mortgage Horse isn't just good for your anxiety. It's a gift to your children. I'm not doing this commercial because I need the money. I'm doing it because I want the money, and you can trust us.
Speaker 3: We're a bank.
Speaker 6: When if we ever let you down, and I know what you're thinking, and the answer is yes, you're gonna see a lot of horse teams.
Speaker 11: If you're sixty two and older and have no financial or horse knowledge. Called agg today, reverse mortgage horse It's just as bad as a reverse mortgage, but with a horse. Don't forget to ask about our home equity beavers.
Speaker 3: When we come back, Mandy his time will be joining me on the show, so don't go away. Welcome back to the Daily Show. My guest tonight hosts for Betty Hassan Show on MSNBC. He's the author of the New York Times bestselling Win Every Argument. Please welcome Madi Hassan. Oh, Maddie, it is great to have you here. Thanks for being here, Thank you for having me. Great great your book, Win Every Argument? Is this the perfect gift to give to one person in a couple.
Speaker 12: I'm an author. I'm here to plug a book. I want everyone in the audience to buy the book.
Speaker 7: I want everyone at.
Speaker 12: Home to buy the book, but I beg you not to buy the book for your partner or to use on your partner.
Speaker 7: It's a disclaimer I have at the very start of the book.
Speaker 12: I can barely win an argument with my wife. I argue for a living, and it's been a long time since I wont an argument.
Speaker 7: I'm said this book. It's everyone everywhere except couples.
Speaker 3: That's great. I'm still going to get it for me.
Speaker 7: Good luck.
Speaker 3: Obviously, there's you know, a lot, a lot of debate, a lot of discussion on It's a tense time in the world, and in particular, there's been a lot of censorship around Palestinian voices and people who are even pushing against what Israel actions in Gaza, you know, in real censorship too, you know, like on meta platforms, you know, being prohibited from saying anything on I don't know, satirical news programs. So how how are you supposed to argue or debate or even advocate for people if you're not even allowed to.
Speaker 6: Speak on it.
Speaker 7: It's a great question.
Speaker 12: And one of the reasons I wrote the book was because we have not just a lot of censorship right now in the world, in our societies, in the press, but of course foreign conflicts, domestic politics. We have a former president who threatens the network I work for, threatens the free press every day.
Speaker 7: And one of the reasons I wrote.
Speaker 12: The book was because I wanted to equip ordinary people, good people, good faith act as decent people with the skills and the rhetorical tricks and techniques to push back against the bullies and the bigots and the authoritarians and the gas lighters, because there's so many of them these days. They've taken over our public square. They've taken over some of our foreign policy debates, and therefore you can't just put your head in the sand and operate in the old way or run away from this stuff. And I have a whole chapter in the book about how you deal with what I call gish gallopers, people who just want to overload you with bs. We all know people like that in our public squares. So I'm trying to equip people with the skills to say, you know what, when I'm confronted with someone who lies or cuts me off, or tries to talk over me or gas lights, I have the skills, I have the rhetorical techniques going back centuries to be able to say no, no, we're.
Speaker 7: Going to speak out.
Speaker 12: And I think, look on the conflict you mentioned, I am someone who has a show on television, right, you know, sometimes I'm on social media saying well, what about the media? I'm I am the media, right, Maybe I can do something different, and I do a show on MSMB. See I do a show on Peacock, and my thing is, okay, I'm going to try and platform as many voices as possible. So my show, we have Israeli government officials, we have We've had people who lost people to Hamas on October the seventh and that horrific attack, and we've had ordinary Palestinians from on the ground in Gaza. And my worry is that we rightly as a media humanize those victims of the conflict on October the seventh, as we should, because what happened Aztobo Sums was horrific, But we don't always as a media, especially in the United States and the West, also humanize the Palaestinian people.
Speaker 7: So I've tried to get people from.
Speaker 12: All walks of life, Palestinian analysts, journalists, doctors, real people. And I think if you dehumanize a people, any people. We see that in America right now, rising anti Semitism, rising as armophobia. If you dehumanize a people, you end up with what happened in Vermont over the weekend. Three young men of Palestinian descent shot in what's being looked at as a possible hate crime.
Speaker 7: A six year old boy in Illinois.
Speaker 12: Wadia al Fayoum, stabbed to death twenty six times in front of his mother in what is being charged as a hate crime. So dehumanization is the thing we all have to avoid, even in the most toughest and heated of debates.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because we are I mean, obviously, we're all people, and it's it's important to Sadly, yeah, you're correct. Sadly, it's not obvious, and we should be able to talk to people from the other side. And you know, as you have people from every side on your show, I would like to see other shows follow suit and have you know, talked to everybody who's involved in everything and if we are going to you know, we talked about how there is misinformation everywhere. You know, we have everyone has lied, you know that we've we've got the media lying, We've caught our government line, We've got the IDF flying, We've got Hamas lying. You know, social media is a conveyor belt of lies. Uh, Where can people actually go to find what is actually happening?
Speaker 12: Sunday eight pm Live, ms NBC, there's a show called The Mediason Show, which is very opinionated but very factual. No, look, it's a real problem, and I think any journalist can honestly sit here and tell you, Michelle that it's not a problem. We don't all grapple with that. We're trying to hold ourselves to the highest the standards. But also seeing that social media is a double edged sword, it's been amazing tool for voiceless people to get their voices out. Half of the stuff we know about what's coming out of Gaza is because of Instagram and social media, because you know a lot of foreign media wasn't allowed in for a long time. So it's been very powerful in getting voice that. But of course it also comes with so much misinformation, Like there's not a day goes by where my feed doesn't have some conspiracy theory about the Palestinians or some conspiracy theory.
Speaker 7: About the Israelis.
Speaker 12: So look, I wish that we taught our kids from a very young age about digital social media literacy, about the importance of news media.
Speaker 7: As I said, I mentioned a moment ago, we.
Speaker 12: Have a former president, possibly the next president, threatening the free press.
Speaker 7: We don't talk.
Speaker 12: Enough about the importance of the free press and how to understand how to navigate the media. We just a lot of people just forward a lot of nonsense, and I think we've all got to hold ourselves to higher standards. Whether we are producers of news or whether we're consumers of news, we all have a role to play. And one thing I would just say on the lying front, when we say that everyone lies, and I work in political news, people say politicians they will lie.
Speaker 7: My worry with that argument.
Speaker 12: It takes you to a very dark place because if everyone lies, then you just become a nihilist. You don't believe anyone or anything. And that only helps one group of people, which are the fascists, the authoritarians.
Speaker 7: Donald Trump doesn't.
Speaker 12: Lie because he wants you to believe him over the Democrat. He lies because he wants you to believe no one. And when you don't believe anyone, that's when the strong man arises. That's when authoritarianism comes. So we still have to remind us of there are people telling the truth. There are people trying to get the facts out. It's our job to try and find them and support them.
Speaker 3: Yes, I feel like you're really leaning heavily on hoping the bullies and the biggots that don't read the book. And you know, when we talk about you know, you say, what of two people from both sides do know how to do an argument? They say, they do read your book. What happens? Do we fall into a black hole?
Speaker 7: It's a great question.
Speaker 12: What happens if two people buy the book and then get into an argument using the techniques that I lay out in the book. I would say all depends where that which of them has read chapter fourteen, Chapter fourty, the very bo Chatter book. It's called practice makes perfect right. Practice is what makes you perfect? Practice what we do and one thing that we don't do as public speakers, as debates, as people out there, and you know this as a brilliant comedian, you don't just get up and just blow more than what right you have to prepare and practice. People don't do that, and then they wonder why they lose arguments or losing debates, or aren't good at public speaking because you have to prepare. You spend I'm sure, weeks, months, years preparing for one piece of work.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 12: I spent a lot of time on the book on my TV show, you know, I always remember Winston Churchill has this saying to church but he says, if you ask me to give you a two hour presentation, I can do it right now. But if you ask me to give you a five minute speech, I need.
Speaker 7: Two weeks to prepare.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 12: People don't realize to be brief, to be direct, to get your points across it requires a lot of hard work.
Speaker 7: And we don't put in the effort.
Speaker 12: And you know you wouldn't.
Speaker 7: You wouldn't hand over your taxes to an accountant who's just winging it, right.
Speaker 12: You wouldn't go under the knife with a doctor who's just winging it. But for some reason, we think when it comes to public speaking, we're addressing we can just wing it. Nobody wings it, even the greatest public speakers. And I say in the book, Churchill, Martin, Luther, King, all of them, JFK.
Speaker 7: All of them.
Speaker 12: Practice prepared, put in the time and effort to convince people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think what we don't do these days is put in time or effort too.
Speaker 7: It's a very brief, transitory culture.
Speaker 3: I want to talk a little bit more about what's going on in the Middle East. One of the things I've been wondering about is if the leaders of the Hamas are in the Four Seasons in Qatar and Israel wants to rid the world of Hamas. And as much is I love Four Seasons, why the constant bombardment of Gaza and why not go to them?
Speaker 12: I mean, I have to say, I don't know if you saw I think it was the fourth season to put out of tweet saying we have no guests here who are part of Hamas. And look, Twitter has very few roles left under Elon Musk, but like preventing a prominent hotel chain from getting droned is a pretty.
Speaker 7: Good use of Twitter.
Speaker 12: Look, a lot of people miss I've got to be a lot of people misunderstand what's happening in Cuto, in Doha, right, the negotiations that happened a lot of Republicans and be like, look at other they're not really an ally the cuties like hold on, you told us to host Hamas and the Taliban, so we could be the intermediary for you to negotiate with these groups, just like we used to negotiate with the Taliban. Trump did it, and now we're having these hostage negotiations to try and get all those poor hostages out, and hostage taking is a clear war crime, and we want to get those hostages out. Look, the reality is I'm from I'm old school. You know, I don't think there are military solutions to political problems. I'm someone who Afghanistan for twenty years, where we went in with righteous rage. Have you been the victims of a horrific crime. We didn't think about what's going to happen the day after. We didn't think about what's the long term plan. We didn't think other people going to welcome us. Twenty years later, we left with our tail between our legs, loads of people dead, and the Taliban still run Afghanistan. So I would say, let's be careful before we just decide that the solution to every problem is we can drop a bomb or we can fire a bullet. This is a political problem. It's a problem of occupation, it's a problem injustice, it's a problem that goes back decades, right, and you cannot resolve it with dropping what six thousand pounds of bombs or whatever it is in the space of a few weeks. And look, I just want to say one important point on this.
Speaker 7: People.
Speaker 12: You know, in times like this, we get into our teams, we take our sides. Everyone's in a polarized moment arguing at a time like this, the number one bias we should have is not political or religious.
Speaker 7: It should be humanitarian.
Speaker 12: It should be human What is happening in Gaza right now. I don't care whether you're Muslim, Christian, Jewish, whatever, Like the human are saying it's the most dangerous place in the.
Speaker 7: World to be a child.
Speaker 12: The Committee to Protect Journalist says it's the deadliest conflict on record for journalists. The UN Secretary General says more UN employees have been killed in guards than any conflict in the UN's history. You know, the Pope is calling it terrorism now, which his word, not my word. I don't know if you're getting at cancel for that. He probably won't be in the next screen movie. But people, it's really really bad.
Speaker 3: With a hat like that.
Speaker 13: Maybe maybe you're giving them ideas now but it's so bad right now, people are talking about the brink of famine, dysentery, disease, countless that let us first be biased as human beings before we are biased as Israelis, Palestinians, Muslims, Jews, Christians, Americas.
Speaker 7: For me, right now, that's the priority.
Speaker 3: I one hundred percent agree. I think this is a moment to be completely human and realize that you know it's we should be able to talk with our mouths instead of bombing with our bombs.
Speaker 12: And if you need a book to help you talk with your mouth, whenever shame.
Speaker 3: When you have a book, you got to no one's gonna sell.
Speaker 7: It but you, But no married couples.
Speaker 3: When our argument is available now. The Media Hussan Show air Sundays on MSNBC. We're gonna take a quick break, but we'll be right back after this. That's our show for tonight. But before we go, please consider supporting the Moses West Foundation. They use cutting edge technology to provide es central water access to all. If you can, please donate at the link below.
Speaker 14: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching the Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts. Watch the daily show week nights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central and stream full episodes anytime on Fairmouth Plucks.
Speaker 5: This has been a Comedy Central podcast