Speaker 1: I miss a green, for example, I'm already upset.
Speaker 2: When I find my ball in the bunker, I'm really upset. And when I find my.
Speaker 1: Ball in a brid Egg Frida Egg, the Friday Frida Egg, Frida Egg, Bride Egg Lie, I'm about ready to run off the golf course.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to another edition of the Friday Egg Podcast. I am back from a long, lengthy road trip US Open and then followed by a week out in the met section in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut. So it was a great trip. Saw a lot of new golf courses to me, which was really phenomenal. I think, you know, it's funny. I one of our Matt Rusch's, our podcast editor here podcast producer, does a lot of things for us. He was it was the first time he'd been out there. He's very into golf course design, golf architecture, and at one point he turned to me and he said, does every place just have amazing land out here? And it's kind of like, yeah, they do. That's what makes it such an amazing part of the country for golf. And it's always important to remember that when you start with a stellar site, there's only so much that can go wrong, and uh, you know, out there, it's there's so much great land, whether it's whether it's rocky soil like Yale or sandy soil. I think Hollywood's pretty sandy, it's not you know what, pure sand or Saint George's which is which is pretty sandy as well. On Long Island. You know, the the land out there is just such a wonderful asset. And obviously then the the other part of that is having all the great architects, Sands really Mackenzie work out there. All the great American architects other than Mackenzie and George Thomas built golf courses in Long Island in New York. So really I can't wait to get back out there, and there'll be a lot more on my trip on the fried Egg and Club TV. I'm just trying to come up for air from that, spend some good time with my family. Today we have Shane Bacon on the podcast. We're talking Ryder Cup. It's kind of close, it's not that far away. So I was excited to talk to Shane kind of about the European Tour, European team and the American team, where they're at, what directions. We think they're going with the bottom half that or roster right at the point where there are some locks. Before we get to that, what I wanted to talk about in this intro is the preposterousness of the Travelers. And there's an ESPN, there's an associated Press report about the Travelers making course changes after record low scoring. So there's rain, there wasn't a lot of weather, so the course was soft and it wasn't windy or anything, and guys lit it up. Keegan Bradley shot a course record, you know, like a tournament record, twenty three under, which was a shot better than Kenny Perry in two thousand and nine. There were eight rounds of sixty two or better during the week, and now they say they need to make course changes. This is just like the inanity of professional golf. And Andy Bassett, who is an executive vice president at Travelers and really a driving force. He's a great guy. I think he's, you know, done a lot to revamp this tournament and make it a great tournament. But you know, running down after records scoring and demanding course changes, we're completely missing the boat here. I think, like obviously, technology is the reason that this golf course has been completely rendered, you know, undefensible, and you know, let's be real, not every golf course it's going to be a US Open setup. Not every golf course is going to be stout. This golf course does actually lend itself to some variety. We saw some short hitters have a chance for you know once so Besett wants changes. He allegedly has talked to like some of the players and is soliciting feedback from players, which I'm sure it will be narrow fairways, more water hazards, other things. You know, one player vostivously was on the other side, and I think this is probably the bullet here. Rory McElroy said, I don't particularly like when a tournament is like this. Unfortunately, technology has passed this course by right. It sort of has made it obsolete, especially as soft as it's been with little bit of rain that we had. So again, like the conversations going back to you know, limiting the golf ball and stuff like that, when we come to courses like this, they just don't present the challenge they used to. So McElroy went on to say he wasn't a fan of the idea of just making fairways, narrower and rough rougher that bunches everyone together. The blueprint is something like Los Angeles Country Club where the US Open was held, where you can have wide targets, but if you miss, it's penal. Another course that has that in common. Augusta National. Just for the record, this isn't that sort of golf course. It's not that sort of layout. It doesn't have the land to do that. So you know, unfortunately, when it gets soft conditions like this, you've got the best players in the world. This is what's going to happen. I think. I think the second half of that statement is really telling. It goes back to what I was just talking about with New York golf, Like a lot of places don't have the necessary ingredients to present a modern test. You need immense length, you need some terrain, you need wind, you need firmness to really test these great players. Today, LACC after the first round was a huge was a tremendous test of golf. Augusta National every year is a test of golf. But those courses, I mean, Shinnakok you could throw in here too, tremendous test of golf. They have topography, they have elements, they have really undulating greens, they have firm conditions for the for some part, you know Augusta obviously as the sub era. They all have brilliant design. And I don't think anybody is going to River Highlands is saying that's a brilliant design. So let's just you know, I think one of the things that you know, this second happens. There's only a handful of horses that are going to present a really stern test to the world's best players, and most of them do not want to host an annual event. So let's get back to how could what's the easiest way for a golf course to present a better test to these pros the golf ball going a shorter distance all of a sudden, then it's not just a wedge fest. It's not just driver wedge, driver seven iron and to par fives. If the golf ball goes shorter, it will present a different test. This trip in New York I was the first trip I've played, or first golf I've played really with modern golf clubs in a probably about a year, and I was just shocked at how I hadn't played in a month and I've been nursing a bad neck, and I was just shocked at how well I was able to play when I was playing so poorly, if that makes sense. And you know, when you can just hit a driver up and really get yourself a wedge into almost any hole or a short iron, it makes golf so much easier. There are just so few things that can go wrong. Having played per Simmon and the old blades, I was routinely hitting six irons and more into part fours. You know, a two hundred and sixty yard drive with the Persimmon was a good drive. If it was wet at all, the ball went nowhere. If it was firm, I could hit a three hundred, But if it was wet, the ball just doesn't go very far with a per Simon driver. You were kind I was kind of relying on a knuckleball out there, And I think that's the thing here, is that we got to stop listening to players. Inherently, players want nothing to change, and I understand that that's like the salesperson not wanting any commission structure changed. We need to look at other stakeholders that have vested interest in the game, Like, hey, I cover golf architecture, changes are good for me. That gives me stuff to talk about. Right, changes are great for golf architects. If courses constantly have to modify because of technology, golf architects get rich. How come they are the ones that are maybe the most adamant about rolling the ball back. That's not good for their business. It's not like they're going to build new tees or do these other projects that to modernize nice golf courses. Look at what's going on at Oakmont. You know they're doing a bunker renovation, but part of it is just they're embarrassed by what happened at the USAM with guys playing down other fairways. You know, these there are changes that are being made to golf courses because of what's happening at the ultra ultra elite. It's millions and millions of dollars being spent to do this. The Travelers TPC River Highlands, it looks like they're going to make modifications. Those are going to cost exorbitant amounts of money. This is not cheap stuff. Rolling the ball back. Yeah, these manufacturers who have made you know, millions and billions of dollars on the game of golf for years, are going to have to put a little bit of time and money into R and D. They already have golf balls made. You know, they've already done that. They've been waiting for this, and guess what, they have another product to sell. People are going to use these golf balls. It's just silly that golf courses are the ones that are constantly having to adapt when the game is broken because of the technology. I don't know, I just think this is this is a ridiculous time. The players have been pretty against the rollback. I understand why. I understand why, but it's important to look at other people with vested interest in the game. So I think Rory has it right on here. I think LACC was a blueprint, and that's a whole nother thing. But there are very few places with the natural gifts that LACC has, And for a course like TPC River Highlands, you have to have the perfect storm of breezy, dry, firm conditions to present any sort of a test for these great players. And that's you know, that's the same story as this week in Detroit. It's the same story as next week when they go to Minneapolis. It's the same story for almost every golf course on the PGA to our calendar. So should we change all the courses on the PGA Tour schedule? Should we just change twenty four courses or should we just do something really simple and change the equipment. These guys will adapt if you, I can attest like, if you play well with old equipment or or lesser equipment, you still play well. It's not like you just will magically have lose the ability to shoot under par. It's not like your skills diminished and vanish away. You still can play well. It's just shows when you don't play well more. And I think that's what we want as golf fans. We want to see players overcome challenges. That's what makes the majors so compelling and all these events, And this is what the PGA Tour needs to understand. What makes golf compelling is not four hundred yard drives. It's the idea of overcoming and doing something unbelievable. And the more challenging the game is, the more compelling the theater will be. All Right, here's the Shane Bacon and uh, we're going to talk Ryder Cup as well as him playing in the Ike and having a great finish in the in the MGA event in New York area. So thanks Shane, Shane, welcome back on I you know, I'm excited to talk about Ryder Cup. That's what we're planning to talk about today. But I gotta commend you. You're doing the midam's right. You played the IKE, a big Metropolitan Golf association that met one of the great golf associations in the in the country. You played their IKE amateur event. You're you're dueling with college kids, juniors. He came out with a with a very Kevin Streelman like back door top ten T seven with the sixty six on in the final round. I mean, the sixty six is super impressive. It was the back end of thirty six holes walking. You must have just been hommon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was. I didn't play great in the morning. You know. It was in my home course. And I don't know, I don't know how you feel about this, Andy, but sometimes the home course advantage actually add stress.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's the home course's advantage at all. I think it's harder.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, you just cause you're playing a golf course, you play stress free. Ninety nine percent of the time, and all of a sudden, the easy shots become a little bit harder, and I got off to like a red hot start in the first round. I think I was three under through my first seven and it was just kind of here we go, and then made some bogies late. But yeah, the second round, I made the cut, which was obviously goal number one, and played okay in the second round, which was I guess Tuesday morning, and birdied eighteen. So I made like a twenty five foot in my last hole to shoot seventy one, and I don't know, it was one of those things like I made that putt and I told my dad was out here watching and I said, I said, you know, all I wanted to do was shoot in the sixties. Like that's my goal for this afternoon. And it's weird, Andy, when you drive it great and make putts, you can play well. And I drove it great in the afternoon and made a lot of putts, and uh and yeah, I had like a twelve footer on the last hole for sixty five down the hill, and all I could tell myself was I'd love to make this, but I don't want to stress over a four footer coming back up the hill, Like I've already stressed enough today, Like if I make it great, but if I don't, because a top ten in that event gets you in the met Am and I think that's at Friar's and I think it might get you in the met Open. So I knew I was right around that number, and so yeah, I was. Uh, I would have been happy with sixty five, but I was very happy with sixty six.
Speaker 2: Kane, you just described the uh, the difference between a PGA Tour player in a mid am right there, fretting about a four footer. That's, uh, you get under par hill, you get under par and it's you're snorkeling. You're not you're not scuba diving. You're snorkeling. You're afraid to go too far down in the water, have the water rush into your snorkel. Uh. That is the difference right there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was just I had I had Zach Blo on the Getagrip podcast we posted on Thursday, and we were talking about you know, obviously he went low on Sunday at the Travelers, and I was asking him about this exact thing, because you know, there's that fear of low that ninety nine percent of golfers have. And there are some golfers that once they get four or five under, they're trying to get to seven, they're trying to get to eight. And I had a great shot into eighteen. I mean my last hole was twelve or sorry, my last hole was eleven. Part five. I laid up. I hit a nine iron in there at about ten feet. But again I knew that putt was fast, and I knew it went away from me, and again I just didn't want a three put you know. I was like, I'm happy with the two putt, and most professional golfers are trying to ram that in the back and shoot sixty five not sixty six.
Speaker 2: Wait was that a was it a shotgun? Start?
Speaker 1: No? At Brookline, it's almost like Olympic Club. Ten is about as far away from the clubhouse as you can get. So he did twelve t one.
Speaker 2: T Okay, that makes sense. I was curious that when you said.
Speaker 1: That the first round we played one of the guys, goes Man, we played the front nine real fast. I was like, well, we played seven homes. We only played seven. We didn't play that.
Speaker 2: I was looking at your first car or your first round card, I thought you had just like a flurry finish with birdies. Yeah, I was super impressed. I was super impressed. I thought, I thought you just you just had this flurry of a finish to make the cut, I would say, I think like I feel like when you're playing as a mid am in these these events that I think like one of the things you you play with college golfers, and the thing that I always used to feel was like, Okay, I can contend, I can compete with them tea to green, but when they miss a green, the short games are just out of this warld.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't know fear at all.
Speaker 2: And it's like they just like they'll be You'll you'll watch them and you're like, oh, they're no, that's a terrible place. They just hit it into like short sighted over at green, like a little brinning away and they hit this flop to like eighteen inches and you're like, how did how did they do that?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: It's like so I always felt like that, and it's like I kind of had a similar goal. Always was like, you know, if I'm playing in a state aum, it's like make a cut. If I make the cut, I'm really happy because that makes me feel like, you know what, like I'm not I'm not grinding like these guys are grinding. And it's so I congratulations, that's h And exemptions are god. Just not having to qualify as like the greatest feeling in the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But a buddy of mine that knows the area very well send me a text when I finished up, and he went, great playing, now you don't have to qualify, which is the worst thing in the world. And I was like, I trust me, I totally understand. I'm back out against the college kids. I think next week, Andy, I've got a US Amateur qualifiers. So where thirty six holes? I'll I don't know, let me look, actually, but it's it's thirty six holes. And I will say this. I told my wife this because you know, Cindy's not a gull for it all, and she listens to my golf stories even though she probably doesn't totally care that much about what I'm saying. But I was just telling her how it's at Bonnie Bryer Country Club. I think it's pretty close to my house. Let's see. Yeah, it's in a Yeah, it's not too far. But I was just telling her that I needed that round in my tournament resume because I haven't shot around like that in a long time. And it's just a reminder of myself that I can do it, you know. And it's not you know, it's you're not earning money, You're not you know. I mean, they're not really giving you a trophy or anything like that. But to remind yourself that if you do get it rolling, you can't shoot you know, a sub sixty eight round is is important considering I've got a few tournaments left on the on the schedule. So fun week always nice when you actually do something good in golf. It doesn't happen all the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's that's what When I qualified for the mid Am a few years ago, a good friend.
Speaker 1: Of mine stonewall, right, is that the one?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, And I said I was never not going to qualify, and I think I've tried to qualify one time since, you know, so life right there. It's encapsulation of your life of personal life stuff. But what my friend said to me, so I qualified, I birdied I think three of the last four, and in the year before I had had like the complete opposite finish where I was definitely in and I just kind of shit the bed down the stretch. And my buddy, Buddy I was talking to a day or two after, he said, you know, you got to you got to hang on to this moment because it's it's your one percent time.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It's like golf kills you ninety nine percent of the time, and you just have to hold on to those one percent moments where you actually won, you know. And it's like I always think about that. It's like it's so true, and you think about you think about like major championships, right, like you think about the last one at LACC. The guys like you know, Rory or Ricky, like they come out of that and even Scotty, I think Scotty's in the same They feel like it was a failure and it's like, God, you beat you beat one hundred and fifty three guys or whatever the number was in the field. You just didn't beat one guy. Yeah, and it's a failure. And that's the thing that makes the sport so maddening and probably makes you come back so much.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean they give trip one trophy out. I remember on the old show, I used to do. We did winners that didn't win every week, like on Mondays, because it's so easy to talk about the person that won the event, right, I mean, that's we focus It's weird, Andy, I mean we focus on you know, you and Brinnan do this on Mondays, right, you talk about who won, and then come Wednesday, when you guys do the podcast on Wednesday, you're over it. It's not a conversation anymore. Right, You're not bringing up the person that won. But those celebratory moments for the dude that shot sixty six in the final round or Rory who gets another top three in a major championship. It doesn't feel like a victory to those Yet there are things to celebrate. I mean, does Scotty run we're on. I know Kyle Porter's been pounding this on Twitter, but this run he's been on, we should be celebrating it, even though he's not taking home the trophies because the play is so incredibly consistent and he's beating almost everybody in the world. He's just coming up short against one or two names every time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's crazy. It's just him his golf. I think, like I always think about what Tiger used to talk about, and it was always about consistency. And right now he's on a run that's very Tiger like. I don't think he's piled up the winds, but he's been so close. But like, the consistency here, like beating basically everybody in the field outside of a couple of people every single week for a year almost now is insane. One last thing, I just have to commend the met I'm looking at the schedule.
Speaker 1: And it's unbelievable, dude.
Speaker 2: I think it's it's a combination of the clubs and the Golf Association living somewhere where, like we're playing state ams at public golf courses and when I was playing in Chicago and basically, you know, just disappointing tournament venues. It is unbelievable to see a golf association and the clubs in it appreciate amateur golf and professional golf at the met Open level. I mean, so just running through you just played it at Brooklawn, Great aw tilling Hasse course in Connecticut. You got the met am. As you said at Friar's Head in the discussion of greatest modern golf courses ever built, you know, and then you've got the met Open at Arcola that got rave reviews during the us AM last year. I mean, you just go through this and it's just unbelievable where you play. You got the mid Am at Country Club of Fairfield. I mean it's awesome. It's awesome to see a golf course and you know, I'm envious of I think, like the thing people realize don't think about it, like I'm envious of the juniors, and you talk about like what a great environment and great great tournaments to grow up and cut your teeth on. You know, like if you get a kid that qualifies for that Medam who's sixteen and you get go play Friar's Head for a few days, that's going to prepare you and you're going to take away so much from that experience. So really cool, really cool Golf Association. And props to all the courses for sharing. I think that's the thing.
Speaker 1: I think that's a good point, Andy, is the golf courses. I mean, obviously I'm a member of Brookline, but to see how proud you know, are head pro and a lot of the members that were a big part of the week, how proud they were of the event and being able to host it, and how it feels very big, you know. I mean I was obviously getting an opportunity to broadcast a lot of the USGA Championships for a few years. And every time you go to a us Junior or a Girls Junior or a Curtis Cup, I mean, these events feel enormous to the club because they're so proud to be able to host them. And these MET events feel very very similar for both the MET and the golf courses that are hosting. So yeah, I agree with you. Shout out to them, and also shout out to their social team. They do an unbelievable job of like photos and videos and storytelling. It's easy not to focus on things like that, but you know, me just kind of scrolling through it throughout the week and them, you know, really carrying. I mean, one day we signed the scorecards, they said, hey, will you come over, we're doing every player says one word about the tillinghas greens here, you know, and they cut it together in this beautiful video. I know you're a fan of a very well put together videos. I mean, they do a hell of a job. So I was very impressed with the way they went about their business.
Speaker 2: Now for a quick word from our sponsor, Gooder. I love Gooder. They are sunglasses. They are affordable sunglasses. For my life, I was a purchaser of you know, one hundred plus dollar sunglasses, and I would live life with fear and I was going to lose them, you know, or I was going to scratch them, or they were going to break, or I was on a boat and they'd fall off, or you know, I was you know, all these things I was scared of. For the last year and a half, since Gooder has been a partner, I have been I've been living care free with my sunglasses. These are, you know, twenty five dollars a payer they start at and they are awesome. They're lightweight and comfortable. They are polarized, which is one of the things that I liked about the expensive sunglasses classes. They're stylish, and one of the great things about them being twenty five dollars, you can buy a bunch of different styles and you can try stuff out. You don't have to just have one. If you are into running or golf or active events where you might sweat or you might be going up and down. These don't bounce or slip, and they're super easy to clean. So if you are interested in getting some stylish, affordable sunglasses, then go to Gooder dot com slash tf E that's Gooder dot com, that's g O O d R dot com slash t f E and you will get free shipping with your order. So free shipping at Gooder dot com slash tf Thank you to them for sponsoring the show and being a longtime partner. Now back to Shane Bacon. All right, let's talk about the Ryder Cup that's this year, right. Yeah, it's kind of like I feel like with everything going on in golf with I didn't really want to talk about the framework with you know, but which isn't a ton of you know, new stuff, but like with everything going on in golf in a weird way, if he looks like the Ryder Cups kind of under the radar right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it feels a little bit like Colin Morroccou at Majors right now, where you're like, oh yeah, more cows in the field. You know. I just feel like you never really hear his name brought up in preview stuff and uh oh yeah, it's a Ryder Cup year it's in Italy. Here we go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So with that in mind, you know, we're we're kind of in crunch time. I feel, you know, again, we got one major left and we got the FedEx Cup and then the teams are picked, so you know, really like not a lot of guys are going to be playing in these next coming weeks. I mean, the Scottish Open will be a big event. And I think that there's questions on each team, big looming questions for each team, and it's you know, you think about where we left Whistling Straights. We left Whistling Straights like the US team's never gonna lose one of these, you know again, that's what everybody say and how we get to this point. And I think, like you look at it, and I think the last year in a way has been a little bit more friendly to the Europeans than the US team. And I'm just curious what your thoughts are on that over arching thesis.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I was kind of going through both squads because I mean, I don't know if you I'm sure you have lists written down. I mean it looks like to me, it feels like ten guys are kind of on the American team and the European team is a little bit more up in the air. The interesting part about the European team is I was going into kind of dissecting both squads. I felt like this European team is an extreme underdog, right, kind of going into what we're thinking about. And as I started to dive into it, I feel like there's a little bit more fun if you were the European captain in terms of how you could put your team together. It feels almost like, you know, the maybe the American squad from eight years ago, where Jordan was popping up and Ricky was kind of on the radar, yet there were still some veterans you could piece together. And so I feel like if you asked any golfan who's going to win this nine out of ten are going to say the Americans. But I feel like there's an opportunity here for this European squad to just be a little bit more fun and a little bit younger. I didn't expect to see this potentially young European team that we might see, you know, in a couple of months in Italy, versus a little bit more experience on the American side, which in my opinion experience in the Ryder Cup and President's Cup has proved to be a little bit more overrated over the last you know, ten or fifteen years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that there's a little bit of when youth brings you're almost naive, right, and it brings like a exuberance and energy to team room. And I think, you know, one of the things with the with the Europeans was they had those that great stalwarts you know past you know, the the guys that anchored so much success. But as they got older, I think they they kind of were more wrestling on their laurels here. And I think, you know, to start, I mean, I think the big question with the European team, and we can start here is who fills out the roster? How do they go about filling out this roster? To me, there are seven without a doubt, locks, without a doubt, probably eight if you but seven are rom Rory Hoveland, Hatton Fleetwood, Shane Lowry, and Matt Fitzpatrick. And I think you throw Justin Rose in there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have, I had I had Rose on mine that that was the exact list. I have A play is automatically going to be on this team unless somebody gets injured. And so basically there are four spots up for grabs, and when you look at those four names, Andy, it is an extremely European group of players.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I like, I think, like, you know, the thing here is like what sometimes what makes a great Ryder Cup player isn't necessarily like who's the best player in the world. Like obviously that's a very easy way to look at it. But like, one name that I think is going to be on the team is Adrian Murunk. You know what Adrian Mrunk does. He makes a shit ton of birdies. You know, that's good in match play.
Speaker 1: Which plays well and match yees like one of the number one the stats that we always look at, you know, if you look at how they do in the match play in Austin, throw that out. We've obviously realized that that's not proved to be any any sort of a kind of an inaccurate read of who's going to be successful in Ryder Cups. But if you make a lot of birdies that always plays, it plays very well because one of the formats Andy, I don't know if you knew this is best score wins the hole and birdies win a lot of holes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so it's it's interesting. So like if we start to just go down some names, I have some names written out here. You got Merunk, you got Victor Perez. Janick Paul is the third points.
Speaker 1: He's on the team. He's if it ended now, Yanick Paul would be on the team. He is. I did some notes on a Andy. He has played in two majors. Okay, yeah, in his career. He's twenty nine, he's one hundred and first in the world. He's played. I would say, fine, this year would be the term I'd use to present his resume. He's got three top three finishes and four top tens for the season, and he's won once on the DP World Tour, and that is it. And again, if we picked teams right now, he would be on the squad.
Speaker 2: He's so just so everybody knows, he's third on European pointsless. So the way the Ryder Cup works is three from the right, the European pointsless, three from the world points list. So he is on the team. I do know like a little bit of Yannick Paul. Fact he absolutely obliterates the golf ball, I.
Speaker 1: Know, but I mean, Andy, can I say this, that's just something you just say about everybody now, Like when you talk about anybody that's under the age of forty five as a professional golfer, they all hit it hard, they all hit it far. Like nobody's bunning it around. I feel like anymore. I mean, yeah, he can kill it, but I mean he.
Speaker 2: Sees Maybe he'll say he bounce it, but yeah, he might be bouncing around a little bit. Chez the Travelers was the week for the for the bunters.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's a it's a bunch spot. It's a lay it down the third base line and see if you can outrun it. I mean it squeezed the guy over to you know, squeeze him over. Let's just sacrifice bun it all day long and make your birdies. But yeah, I was wondering about this with you because you and I always joke about the FedEx Cup and how we don't understand what a point means, or like I saw you on Twitter, like how many points does that need? What is two seventy? What is three hundred? Like nobody knows. I don't understand why they don't just make one FedEx cup point the same equivalent of a dollar. It makes no sense to me, But I feel like the European Ryder Cup team is trying really hard to be slightly more complicated than a FedEx Cup.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, I mean I think almost every points. I mean, what about the race to Dubai.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Tavis dot Cup was confusing? Like why is everything confusing? Why can't we just when you go to If you go to Rydercup dot com right now and you click on the European standings, there are two things you have to click between to see who's gonna qualify, And the weird part is the players that qualify on the European points list aren't highlighted on the world points list, which then your way You're like, wait, oh no, Rory's wait, he's on the team, but he's not. I mean, it's so strange. I don't understand how this isn't simplified. Feels like it should be a very very easy process. But again I digress all the time.
Speaker 2: With GOL, We're gonna get some Europeans that are saying it's not that complicated, but it is. It is complicated.
Speaker 1: We're a couple of idiots, probably just for everybody out there, so we don't.
Speaker 2: Know one thing about the FedEx Cup, and I'm going to die on this hill. And I think the problem we've had this, We've had the FedEx Cup for so long, and I think the problem is is that the PGA Tour hasn't ever explained it. Like there's never been a framing of what two hundred and seventy points is. Like if you threw a couple examples out, like two hundred and seventy points is four top tens or two hundred seventy here's a couple of ways that Zach Blair could get to two hundred and seventy points. You know this was this is a whole basis of this thing. It's like ZB needs two hundred and seventy points to retain his card in an eight starts. Well, like, give people some examples of how two hundred and seventy points is IERD right.
Speaker 1: Is that impossible or is that like relatively attainable? Does he need two top twenties in a top ten? Or does he need to win three events? Like I I wouldn't be able to tell you that in a million years. I feel like now that ZB did it, I now kind of understand that second alone in a designated event would have got him to that point. But even finding onlineing and he took me multiple Google clicks, like when I was kind of doing that, it was hard to find.
Speaker 2: So anyways, like this is you need to make this like currency, right, Like if you said to me, hey, I'm gonna give you four thousand of Kenya's currency, I don't. I'm sorry, I don't know what that is. If I'm gonna give you four thousand of whatever Kenya's currency is, I would be like, Okay, that's great. I have no clue what that means, you know. But if you said, I'm gonna give you four thousand of Kenya's currency and that's equivalent to x amount of American dollars, I'd be like, oh great.
Speaker 1: Right, it's called a I looked it up. It's a Kenya shilling, and one Kenya shilling is zero point zero zero seven to one dollars. All you gotta do is you type that into Google and it tells you right away. Imagine if that was just the simplified version of golf rankings. But again, this isn't. I don't think this conversation was meant to be FedEx Cup confusion. But I do laugh very hard when I pulled up the European standings last night and went, there are two tabs here, what is happening?
Speaker 2: Yes, So there just needs to be conversions associated with this. You have to you have to make this approachable for the lay person, right totally. So I covered the start and people are like, it's embarrassing you don't know what two hundred and seventy FedEx Cup points is. And somebody said that to me, it's embarrassing that you don't know. Is it embarrassing for me? Is it really embarrassing for me? Or is it embarrassing for the for the the person that that administers the FedEx Cup points, who's it might be embarrassing for me. I think it's more embarrassing for the fed Ex Cup. You know, I have a general idea that like five hundred points goes to first, three hundred ghosts to second, Like I know that, but I don't know anything past like the top three, and.
Speaker 1: You don't know which events those fall into. I know, we were talking about the European team and you know we just got down derailed. It's okay, now we're back. We're back so the I feel like a big part of what's gonna happen over the next couple of months with the European side is the decision for Luke Donald to go young or to go old. Because we saw the last Ryder Cup, the decision was to go old, it was to go veteran. And I feel like you can either lean heavily into going young, and it can feel very much like that Ryder Cup what ten years ago where Ricky was picked and you know, I remember what was it. Ryan Moore was on the team. Like that felt like Americans were trying to go young. And you can go with experience or you can go with youth. And I feel like, at least I think you would probably agree with this. It feels like it makes way more sense to go young, if no other reason than to give these players a little bit of experience considering the last four spots are so up for grabs, and I feel like, if you're Louke Donald, you have a serious case to lean into Padrick Harrington as a pick. Okay, he's fifty one years old, he's played five Bomb Tour evins. Listen, he's played five PGA Tour events this year. He's made all five cuts. He had a top ten at the Texas Open, tied for twenty seven to the US Open. He's played seven events on the Senior Tour. He has a win, two seconds, five top fives, and you stole my line about bombing and andy. He's averaging three h four point five yards per drive on the Champs Tour. That would have him tied with Tony Fenow on the PGA Tour at fifty third in driving distance. He hits it plenty far. He's obviously been playing some excellent golf. He still puts all the work in the world into it. So you could go Padrick Way and you could lean into maybe Sergio, or I think you go Ludwig and Dumont des Chazzart and you just let him at least get a little bit of a experience here and see if they can play on that type of stage, because it feels like they can at this pointing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think, I mean, you have to think Marunk and Victor Perez are probably going to be on the team.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that's ten. That's ten, So there's two spots left.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think to your to your point, like Sergio is a big question. It seems like Rory and him have mended some fences in the last two weeks. I think, like Sergio, of all the guys that went to Live you got Thomas Peters and Sergio are the two that would be potential picks. And I think Sergio is the one, like you're talking about arguably the greatest Ryder Cup player of all time, and.
Speaker 1: I mean him and MANI I would say, honestly, it's between him and I think callin Montgomery.
Speaker 2: And I think I think like you could probably put in there too.
Speaker 1: Alter in there. Yeah. I mean, I think it's just funny that all of all the names that come to minded Europeans.
Speaker 2: It's definitely not JJ Henry.
Speaker 1: No, No, Brett Wedder.
Speaker 2: But uh the that's the thing. Like, I think that's like the first big question, right, and if you if you take Sergio, then it you know, it kind of leaves like one spot, right, Yeah, I mean maybe Onick Paul qualifies on points too. Like I think like the back half of this is like I think Marunks, you know, I don't think you're you know, maybe Victor Perez you could qual him about whether he's in or not. But Moronk's probably in. I think he's done a lot his body of work. He's forth in the European Tour points list. So they you Sergio is a big question, and I don't. I don't think they're going to do it because like, what has he done?
Speaker 1: He's done nothing? And I think that the other question is and again, I think what's worked so well for the Americans as of late in these team events is where's the continuity to the team. And I'm not necessarily talking about the pod system. I'm just simply thinking who's playing with whom? Right, if you're Sergio and you look at Rory and Rom and that's kind of the list in my opinion on who would play with them, and you go, are you guys, do you guys want Sergio? Because to me, and we'll get to the Americans in a minute, but to me, the American side is kind of co captain by Jordan and Justin. That's what it feels like over the last few years. And I feel like if you're leaning on the European side, they're probably doing something similar with Rory and John. Who do you guys want? Who do you guys want to play with? And does this make sense for the betterment of this team, because if we've learned anything in sport, it's chemistry matters. And we've learned anything on the Ryder Cup, especially more than the President's Cup is chemistry is so important for the team room. And I mean I mean Jordan, Speeth and Scotty were on No Laying Up with Sally the other day and Jordan almost laughed when Sally asked the question about the first Ryder Cup team room he played in versus what they saw at Whistling Straits, because the dynamic is so different. These guys want to have fun, they want to enjoy each other's company. They don't want any drama, like you're not gonna see Patrick Reed and Bryce and probably any on any of these teams ever again because they simply just don't want that drama in the team room. And on the European side, who's gonna play with whom and who's the most comfortable pairing up And if there's not a teammate, if you will for Sergio, then he's not on the team.
Speaker 2: Well I would I would say, based off of John Rahm's comments, that would be you know, maybe Sergio is on the team just because to appease Rom he wants him on the team, right, He's talked about it, you know, he wants Sergio on the team. The problem is he's not in Europeans to remember anymore. He's got these fines they paid a fair allegedly or it might be Westy with the fines, but but either way, the you know, it's it's an interesting situation, right Sergio, I think is probably it's a fascinating conundrum that they're in. And you know, do you damage your chemistry if you don't have him the team because Ram's unhappy?
Speaker 1: Right? You know?
Speaker 2: I think there are some other like there's always these great Spanish pairings, and probably it's probably a little bit too much as made of those. You know, you have some other you have a Jage Compio and Laratha Ball and Otagway, all those guys have played pretty well. You know, those could be guys that fill in that void of the second Spanish player. I don't know how important that really is. I think Alex Norn is another one name that is is out there if you went older, I it's it's interesting a few other young names that you haven't mentioned, and I think like here's a question like do you go with like if you want to go youth, do you go with Aberg or Adrian Dumont de ch Sart. I mean, uh, Adrian's playing on the corn Ferry Tour. I think that's like a very heart. I don't think that that's a feasible selection. Like again, in the European Tour, membership is the other component of it. Ludwig, I mean, unless he does something remarkable, you know, I think we need to just like reset on on Ludwig. Let's just think about what John Rahm did in his first few starts. What you know what Kylin Morrikawa and I think holand holand an interesting comparison is he is that like Hoveland had to you know, he went to corn Ferry finals, right, but like Ludwig has a card right, this wasn't available to other great ams that were coming out, right.
Speaker 1: He's a hard comp because of this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like Scotty had to go to the korn Ferry Tour and he played great on the corn Ferry Tour. But Ludwig has an interesting but he has you know, he's he's played well, but he hasn't done anything like if we see him go Gangbusters. I think you could pick him because, like, has he done anything remarkably better than the hoguards? Has he done anything like Thomas Deetree's been a really solid player for a couple of years on the European Tour and now the PGA Tour player is he you know, is he markeably better than those guys? If you want to go young right right now, you know, he might be in a year or two, he might be right now better. But like, I think that's a big question mark. And obviously then you hit on Harrington. That's like I mean, I think that's they could go young or old. Your your question is a great point. What would you do? Would you go young? I?
Speaker 1: I mean, honestly, I would pick Podrick just because he's been playing excellent golf and I just feel like you're putting him in a position to have one last run at something substantial and I just could see him leaning heavily into that. If we've learned anything about Padrack Carrington in his career, he's played very, very well at the biggest of stages, and I feel like he's trending in that direction. I remember asking h I remember asking longer this a couple of years ago, on T said do you think you could still play a Ryder Cup? And he said absolutely. You know, these guys still believe in themselves. The one issue is speed distance, and Podrick hasn't really lost much of that, and he's been incredibly consistent on both tours. I just feel like that stuff carries over and I could see him being I could see him playing with like Shane Lowry, you know, and them going out there and like being scary together. You know, he's not going to be intimidated by the young players, and imagine I think.
Speaker 2: There's actually like an impact of like if he's out there like beating JT. That's demoralized saying like I can't beat by a fifty one year old.
Speaker 1: That's what I was thinking, is like the Americans are so young, Andy that you're playing a fifty one year old, and it throws the dynamic off. I remember years ago I was playing a club championship and I was playing match play and the guy was playing against made bogie on this hole and I'd hit it about three feet above the hole for birdie, okay, three footer, and he didn't give it to me. Now I have the two putt for par to win the hole, and I remember it really being kind of screwing with my brain because I was thinking to myself, have you ever had the two pot of three footer? And I kind of tapped it and it rolled down and it stopped on the lip and he gave it to me. And I remember thinking of myself as I walked to the next tee, that was brilliant by the guy I was playing, because it made me change the way I was thinking on the golf course at least for a moment. And if you're justin Thomas and you're on the seventh pole and you're two down to Padrick Harrington, it's not just that you're two down to somebody on the European team. It's your two down to a guy that's playing on the Champs Store. And I'm with you. I think that does a lot different things that if he's two down to Ludwig.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, I agree, It's just there's something there. I think that there's like two invigorating spirits. Right, if you go youth, there's like an energy there. But I think that there's equally an energy for a fifty one year old if they're playing because they know it's their last one and they hasn't done it in a long time. That's the thing, Like you worry about Westy's nerves out there, but I don't think you have to worry about like the old nerves of Harrington just from everything we've seen. I mean he almost people forget he finished like fourth at Q right.
Speaker 1: Two years ago at the PGA, he was like in the hunt. I mean it was unbelievable. I mean, everybody obviously focuses on Phil because he became the oldest major winner, but Patrick was right there. I have a bonus European Tour question for you, Andy, all Right, what do you think Mullinari has to to get.
Speaker 2: Picked kind of win like an event in contending with three others.
Speaker 1: He has to win the Open. I think if he wins the Open, he gets in. He's been terrible. But I'm assuming when this was announced they really felt like, yes, he would probably make the team.
Speaker 2: I mean, think about four years ago it was I had down here like who's gonna be the Ryder Cup darling? And it's like last year or last Ryder Cup, it was Scotty Scheffler, right, he was the darling and it just launched him. I think it was, you know, probably helped him launch into this player he's become where he's he's crazy. John ROMs won five times this year, and I think the general sentiment is sky Scheffler is the best player in the world, right right, It's insane. It's absolutely nuts that that's the case. That's where we are with golf. But you know you have to, I think you go tie it back. And and it's funny because like you know, Rom's four has gone four. I think it was four and oh and then he's you know, he's the only hope. He's out early and he just gets absolutely steamrolled by Scheffler. I mean it was I think he was four down through four. I remember that was the match. I was out watching and I'm like, what is going on?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: And uh, and I think, so you go that and then if you go to the next Ryder Cup Darling In France, it was Mollywood, it was Fleetwood, mal On Artwood.
Speaker 1: Did they they were were they undefeated or was one of.
Speaker 2: Them under I think they both were. I think one of them tied if I remember correctly.
Speaker 1: Okay, but in one of them because because DJ was five and oh last Ryder Cup and that was like one of the few times that's ever happened. But I think both of them are like you said, I don't think either of them lost a match.
Speaker 2: I think they had played four matches, though I think they sat out one. So I think that's the most fascinating thing. The bottom part of the European roster is the fascinating aspect of it. If we want to transition over to the US team, I don't think it's quite as interesting, agreed, because I think that like, it would be really interesting, It would be fascinating if there weren't these like built in He's an auto pick because of who he is. But that's I think, and I think like what's maybe the compelling aspect of the US team is the fact that they are they becoming what they kind of evolved from. Are they turning? Is history repeating itself? And is it this built in buddies club? Because it feels like that you have locks. I have written down our Scheffler, Wyndham, Clark, and Brooks Kopka that are one through three in the standings. I just four through six are Xander, can't Ley and Homer. I think those guys are locks pretty much, would you agree with that?
Speaker 1: I only have whether I have one. I have one name of that list that I could potentially see not being on the team. But I'll get into that in a minute.
Speaker 2: And then we go to like the next seven through twelve. Is Keegan who has two wins in the in the season and has been really consistent. Uh Speith, who is a lock. There's no way he's going to finish in the top twelve in points and not get picked. Agreed, Cam Young not playing great, but in the in the points discussion, you know Sam Burns who won the match play this year. JT and Morikawa are eleven and twelve on the bubble in terms of top twelve and points. But again, there's no way JT doesn't get picked, even though he has not played good golf this year. And then you go into the into the rest of the list, like the next few guys in points, Denny McCarthy playing career year, different not gonna, not gonna be on the different style player, best putter in the world, Kurt Kidiyama, great year, Ricky Fowler interesting fifteen, Harris English, Tony Finow. And then I just threw in here DJ.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So even though even though DJ is behind Phil in terms of the point list, I think Phil's thirty two in Dustin's thirty three. I have I have ten names that I'm confident will be on the team.
Speaker 2: All right, let's see him.
Speaker 1: I've got Scheffler, Wyndham Brooks as the ender, her Max can't lay speech, JT, Moricow, and Dustin.
Speaker 2: I think DJ's on the team.
Speaker 1: I think DJ will be on this team. I think most likely is going to be on the team. But my first question I wrote down, you've already hinted on it, you've already touched on it a bit, Andy, But my first thing was how much power does Justin and Jordan really have, because again, it feels like they're the captains if you will, or playing captains, or however you want to word it. They've taken over for the Tigers in the fields of the year of the American side, and for JT, it's about do you feel confident in your own game enough to say I deserve to be on this team because he's played one good tournament basically in a year and a half, and that was the PGA he won last year. And then how much power do these guys have. You know who else they'd probably like to have on this team is Ricky Foule. He's apparently their friend, and Ricky's played great and he's sixteenth on the points list, And if Jordan and Justin have the amount of power that I think they have in terms of picking this team, I think Ricky will be on the team if he plays even decent golf at the Scottish in the open. Right, So that's eleven names that I basically have. I have one spot up for grabs with the Kegans and the burns Is and the Youngs and Fenale and Harris English because again I think Dustin's gonna eventually make this team. And maybe you disagree with that, but I think the questions A is j T playing good enough golf to where he can go up to Zach and go I I can make this team and be an impact because right now he's not impactful. This game is not heverything's down.
Speaker 2: He's eleventh on the points list and he's there because of last year's PGA, right right, I.
Speaker 1: Mean that it's it's because of one event he won, which is an enormous event, a major championship, But it was a year. It was over a year ago, and if you look at his finishes, they have been either weak or extraordinarily weak, especially in the big time events. I'm obviously not counting, you know, playing Wealth the Travelers when you know it's not really a tournament that we're going to kind of put next to the barometer of what it means to play well in the biggest events. It hasn't didn't really feel necessarily like the designated events that we saw a riv in the waste management, YadA, YadA, YadA. I mean, j T the only stat that he's done well in this year is around the greens, which probably lends to the ball striking being down right. I mean, the ball striking has been very poor. He's driving it worse, The iron play isn't there, He's not putting it great. He has a fourth place finish in Scottsdale thanks to a final round sixty five, finished tie for tenth at the ball Spar and tye for ninth at the Travelers. That doesn't scream to me Ryder Cup player, But again Justin and Jordan, it feels like run the team. So it's kind of up to Justin and Jordan to me, if a Justin makes the team and be if Ricky makes the team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would agree with that. And I think, like, you know, look at Denny McCarthy, who's probably on the outside looking in, and you look at his year. Right, he had a he was leading pebble late. It was fourth place there T fourteen at Genesis, T thirteen at the Players Big Events. He had a T eight at the Wells Fargo, another designated event where he is playing really well. Finished second at the Memorial, almost won that obviously lost in a playoff, had a chance to win there T seventh last week at the Travelers, T twentieth at the US Open. You know, like that guy has played great golf and I think one of the things that he does he brings to the table for the team is a different type of player. Now, like this is where the Americans. I don't I don't want to say that they're in trouble, but I do think there is this this disease of becoming who they This is, this is something that happens in society. Is like you know, you you don't want to become your father or your you know whatever, but you end up becoming your father right, And I think that's something that that happens is like this whole system they displaced, and you know, it's more merit based. It's not the old Buddies club that is the the thing that seems to be what this is going to turn into with with the current regime in place, Right, you have these effectively figurative placeholder captains that are the same captains over and over and over again. And then you have the people calling the shots, which are Jordan and JT, which you know to be completely like, honest, aren't two of the players that are are both of them aren't going to make it as a lock auto pick, which is kind of crazy.
Speaker 1: I mean, unless one I'm wins, they opened there, they're going to be captain's picks. I agree with you.
Speaker 2: So it's just a it's a fascinating aspect to and I think like one of the things that's interesting when you look at the American team after Whistling Straits, it was like these eleven guys, it was basically eleven guys in Harris English.
Speaker 1: Right. Yeah, you and I talked about this. You and I talked about this. We said, I mean, everybody's leaning into this. This is going to be the team again, and three or four of the names aren't to be there, like Tony Fenale is likely not going to be on this Ryder Cup team, Harris English is not going to be on.
Speaker 2: This rider, Bryson isn't going to be on the on the Ryder Cup. And I think Bryson was like a big part of that team, Like he he had some moments that were like when he I'll never forget. I was sitting next to Steph Curry and he tried to drive what is it the thirteenth hole at uh Whistling Straights. He drove it into greef side bunker. Steph Curry was going nuts. And then on Sundays like driving the First Green or was it Sunday Singles, drove the first.
Speaker 1: Made the podcast.
Speaker 2: Like he had these big moments, and I know that that he didn't party with the team. He was immediately going to long Drive. Just kind of bonkers, bonkers two years ago stuff with.
Speaker 1: Bryson skipping that. Imagine skipping that party. Imagine deciding to skip that party. You want to go get more reps in on the long Drive. It's like, no, man, like the priorities are mixed up. Here bro.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So so anyways, like you know, this is the thing. It's it's what we see every year, like you get this year, we got locked in. It's like, oh, this top ten in the world rankings, this is what it's gonna be. It's like, no, it's not. It's going to change. When nobody had Wyndham Clark on their bingo card of Ryder cup Lock and now he's there right and and somebody's gonna get what's fascinating is what if one of these guys that we have out win's the open? What if you know, I don't think this is gonna happen, What is Harris English Win's the open? Then all of a sudden it puts more pressure on like you know, JT or Sam.
Speaker 1: Burns to do something at any point. Now we meant by the way we mentioned the Locks, and I think you and I had the same list my one and I said there was a name on there that I could see potentially not making the team in terms of chemistry issues, and that's Patrick Cantley. I mean again, going back to Jordan and j T running the show, I mean I wonder if Kntley could kind of get like twenty seventeen. Sam's Burns is from that Walker Cup team where Sam Burns was collegiate Player of the Year and then doesn't get picked for whatever reason, which seemed insane at the time obviously, and then we've seen what Sam Burns has done. But if Kantlay is not an automatic pick, and more of these stories come out about him doing whatever the hell he's doing. And if you haven't read the Am and Lynch article, I urge you to go to golf week dot com and read it. But you know, I mean, these people don't want the drama, man like, they don't want drama in the room. And when you think about live players right now, the two that we listed Brooks being on the team, and I think it's it's likely he's gonna be on the team if not a Lock and Dustin, who I think is gonna be on the team. Those dudes are not drama based. They're gonna come in there and they're gonna want to play golf, and they're gonna want to win, and they're gonna want to hang out with the dudes and they're good to go. But if can't Lay's in there, and there are some people that are questioning what he tells people or if they can trust him. I'm just saying if he's seven or eight on the list, maybe they leave him off. If if one of those players win the open and there's not as many available.
Speaker 2: Spots, well, And I think that's the thing, right, is like that's where that power of JT and Jordan lies. Like Xander and can't lay over the last three years have been better player like JT has bigger wins, but Xander and Cantley have been just consistent top six players in the game. And I think that's the where I see a hard time where I envision it very difficult there. I don't think Cantley could be removed from the team just in general with where he is right now, just simply because the Xander pairing is just automatic, right, It is a but.
Speaker 1: Andy, but Andy, didn't we feel like that with Reid and Jordan and then eventually ran its course, you know, I mean it was like, well, these.
Speaker 2: Guys are these guys are friends though, that's the difference, Like, you know, like one of the guys that the the read speeth pering was being held hostage, Jordan.
Speaker 1: Every team event was going, oh god, I gotta do this again, why don't we keep winning matches?
Speaker 2: But you know, the other two are like vacationing together. And that's where I think, like you know what you said earlier about pairings, right that that's just a pairing with with what you said about Sergio, who's gonna play with Sergio if he if you put him on the team with this, with this, it's Xander Cantley are just like an auto And one of the things that's unique about them, that's not a pairing that you switch for alternate shot or for for best ball, right right, it's a it's a just send them out there and play. And they were really good and and you know, so I don't know, I think, like Cam Young, Sam Burns, if these guys do anything in the next couple of weeks, how do you not pick them?
Speaker 1: I mean, I think I think I'd lean more towards Burns than Cam Young right now, just because the way Cam has played this year. But yeah, I mean, you know the problem is, and this is a good problem to have, you're Zach Johnson, is that, like we said, there's basically eight or nine names that are there, you know, and they're just not gonna switch. So it's all about shuffling the final two or three, and a lot's gonna be decided in the next few weeks. I mean, I think in terms of this Ryder Cup team for both sides, this is gonna be as important and open headed into a Ryder Cup as we've had in a long time, because if you go out there and play, if you go out there and do something, you might just play your way onto this team, especially if you do if you play two good weeks, like if you play well the Scottish and then roll that into the open and you're kind of like a Harris English type of player. Like you said, Andy, I could totally see, and you're rolling yourself into this because it's like, hey, there's if you're Zach Johnson, you just send a text out to five guys and go, I'm gonna pick one of y'all, So go out and prove something to me on the golf course these next three weeks.
Speaker 2: Do you know what klin Markawa is in the world rankings.
Speaker 1: Isn't it like sixteen or seventeen twenty? He's twentieth, So do you don't you don't think he's a lock on the team. Do you think he makes the team.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think that's the one that I think JT is a lock because of who he is. Okay, my question would be around Markawa, like we you talk about you know, since since the Genesis, he had thirteenth at the Players, a tenth at the Masters, but then you know, since then it's been thirty first MC, twenty six, twenty ninth WD with the back fourteenth at the US Open, cut at the Travelers, right, Like I it's a fascinating aspect, like Klin Morkawa, sophinaw who's further down, He's fourteenth, right, Klin Marikawa is closer to Kurt Kitty Yama, and he's the same distance away from Brian Harmon in the world rankings as he is from Tony finaw xal Taurus, who hasn't played all year. I saw thirteam.
Speaker 1: I was looking at this last night. It's so wild that he's thirteen and played at golf.
Speaker 2: I mean Brooks Koepka, who's played like three events that count is twelve, Like you know, it's just I think, like the question for the US team is are they going to become what they what they what they resisted against what this era of player fought against, and then that immediately goes to JT and Morikawa.
Speaker 1: It's and the interesting thing, Andy is, going back to what we said about Whistling Straits, it was Morikawa and Dustin, right, and they were this dominant team, and they're two players that you could easily leave off the team and it not be some crazy thing that Zach decided to do. I mean, they just haven't played the type of golf that's worthy in theory of a pick. You'd be picking them more for who they are and their names and their Wikipedia pages over what they've actually done in the golf course the last couple of years now. For Dustin, I rolled Dustin out there similar toly what you said about Moroc. Dustin's gonna make a lot of birdies, and Dustin typically finds game at these types of events. For more Cowi, it's maybe bigger question marks just simply because it hasn't seemed like the consistency in the game and what he's good at has been there in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, how do you pick? How do you pick Mori Kala Overkegan or JT over Keegan? At this point, I know, there's no way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is it a Ryder Cup team or is it a like a buddy boys club? Yeah right, I mean that's the questions. The problem for Zach is Zach's kind of in the boys club, you know, So like Zach's the guy probably in those text chains, you know, and he's probably you know, playing a lot of golf with Jat and hanging out with you know, the group that is going to push for certain names over other names like Rick.
Speaker 2: The US team's very compelling, So.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean the European teams has got a lot of question marks and it's going to be interesting to see what kind of you know, extreme they go with. And the American team is going to be Are you basing it off of play in twenty twenty three? Are you basing it off of who the player is?
Speaker 2: Yeah? It's the new theory has always been like recent four gang guys that are playing great golf and this year, unless something drastically changes that, it would if you went with that, it would lead to a big shake up in the in the team room and maybe some people that would have their feelings hurt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's part of it, though, I mean, what is the what is the whole what is the whole line everybody likes to lean on, like play better, you know, I mean, you want to argue about this in a players only meeting. Play better, you don't agree with the designate events. Play better? And if you're on the outside looking in in terms of qualifying spots, play better golf. And the problem is is the guys that have played better golf this season that a ride around six and seven might not get picked because they aren't PIP level golfers, right.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm, yeah, it's all right. I think that's a good spot to stop this discussion. We're still months out, but it is is is coming up quick. So Shade, where what do you got going on? You just you mentioned you had a pod with Zach on get a Grip, anything else you got cooking?
Speaker 1: I got a series coming out with Scratch in the next couple of months. We went to Wisconsin did a Caddy series. That'll be fun doing all the corn faery stuff. So I think our next event is the Utah Championship. That's early August. I get to work with James Nitties, who is the man, Haley Hunter, and Gary Christian Doll on the golf course. So yeah, I love doing the KFT stuff. I know you were fired up for the first one we did because Adrian one and I know you were circling that on the on the schedule if he could go out there and contemp, and he wins it in the playoffs. So corn Fairy's awesome. I love those. We play lot of golf in Jacksonville those weeks as well, so it's kind of a double dip fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's great. Thanks for coming on and we'll talk to you soon. Thank you for listening to another edition of the Friday Podcast. Today's episode was edited by the aforementioned Matt Rush's Thank you Matt. As a quick reminder, we are Humming and Club TFF. We also have a so if you want to support us there Club TF We've got our membership program which is one hundred and twenty dollars for the year. It gets you loads of content, early access to events, member of video every month, all sorts of good stuff, course profiles, so if you're into that, I'm gonna be writing up some stuff on the New York trip and there you can go there. The other thing, we have a photography sale this weekend in the pro Shop, so check that out and then last but not least, if you're looking to come out to one of our events, we've got some space at the common Ground event, which is in Colorado. That event is in August mid August. If you want to look for that, go to the Frida Egg dot com and across the top there's an events tab you can find all the information there. Common Ground is a great Renaissance golf design golf course. Tom dok and Renaissance did it. And it's the week of the us AM. We're working with the USGA now on getting ticket options free tickets for anybody that comes, so you'd be able to go either Saturday, which is the final four, pretty good day to go watch golf at Cherry Hills, or the day before that, which would be the kind of round of thirty two, another scintillating day of golf. So thank you guys for listening, and we'll be back next week with more from the Friday Egg. We've got a bunch of US Women's Open stuff and pubble content, so check that out. Thanks, and we'll talk to you next week