Speaker 1: Kabbooms.
Speaker 2: If you thought four hours a day, twelve hundred minutes a week was enough, think again. He's the last remnants of the old Republic, a sol fastion of fairness. He treats crackheads in the ghetto gutter the same as the rich pill poppers in the penthouse. Wow, it's a clearinghouse of hot takes. Break free for something special. The Fifth Hour with Ben Maller starts right now.
Speaker 1: In the air everyway, the Fifth Hour with Me big Man and Danny G Radio. And it is like a religious revival today. Not because it's the eighth day of September, No, no, no, it is a Sunday, and not just any kind of Sunday, Nanny, what is today.
Speaker 3: The very first NFL Sunday that counts?
Speaker 1: That's right home, baby hum. But what a great day today. We got NFL actions starting for those of us who are on the West coast like me and Danny G starting from Nam all the way through that late game, my Rams and the Lions that'll be ending roughly probably eight thirty or nine o'clock. I would say, our time.
Speaker 3: This is the pre game to the pre game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we're here early on a Sunday for your mail bag needs and so excited. A lot of pressure now Benny versus the Penny Season two. Barely beat the Penny last year, barely beat the Penny last year. We're off to a decent start this weekend. But now a lot of moving parts, a lot of moving parts on this food ball kind of a Sunday. So we look forward to all of that today and we're gonna get to the mailbag. But there were some things I didn't get to yesterday, as I remember Danny, and one of them is the International Man of Mystery.
Speaker 3: Oh that's right, Yes, yeah, yesterday you said you were going to try to remember this.
Speaker 1: Yes. So I'm a pretty jaded, cynical guy at this point when it comes to a lot of stuff we talk about. No, yeah, it's unfortunate, but every once in a while, Danny I become Benny Brightside, and that happened this past week on the Overnight Show. I meant to talk about this yesterday, but we ran out of time. Absolutely warned my cold heart to hear the voice of the Great Jay Scoop. Now, if you're new to the show, Jay Scoop, his real name is Jesse. We call him Jay Scoop. He is a very talented musician. He's done a number of song parodies that he's sent into the show over the years. He's a multi platinum time Benny Palooza winner. The Malard Palooza, he's won that, you know, a ton of times. He's been the judge in the Malard Palooza before. He's done it all in the show. In fact, he's even the hostess with the mostess as he set up the Seattle Meet and Greet back in twenty nineteen, which was right before the whole world shut down with COVID the end of twenty nineteen, we had a great celebration at the Malor Meet and Greet there in Seattle. And he's been a great supporter of the show. He was with the show when you were on the show, Danny, back in the day. He's been around a long time and he's now living in the Ukraine. He's now a caller, Hey Ukraine Online one. And if you don't know the backstory, Jayscoop was in the US military and he got out and living his life and all that and working like everyone else that gets out of the military, you have to live your life. Got bills to pay and whatnot and working as a struggling musician. And he told us he heard a calling that he needed to go and help out his family. His blood comes from Ukraine family roots, and so he relocated because he has military training and background and he wanted to help, so he relocated over a year ago to Ukraine. There's a war going on, that's why he went there. But it's pretty wild that he's he's not fighting on the front lines, but he does end up near the front lines because, without giving too much away, he helps bring the supplies that the Ukrainian military is using against the Russians. I don't even know all the details and all that, and he hasn't told me everything because he can't tell me everything. He did tell me that they can't use Wi Fi because of the Russian drones. They monitor that and then if they find you using the Wi Fi, kaboom, it's over. So they can't use that, can't use the internet out in the battlefield. So there's a lot going on with that logistically. And he hasn't called the show in a while, and he still listens to the podcast. He's not he's not doing it every day. I'm not sure exactly how often when he's doing it several days a week at least he's helping out their military and then the rest of the time he's got downtime. And so he called up the other day, Jay Scoop called up on a static filled line with beeping every so often, you know that kind of thing, and he gave us a snapshot of what life is like living in a major city in Ukraine during a war and the phone beeping and being static. He is one problem. And there's a lot he had to make a lot of a lot of effort, a lot of energy was expended for him to even call the show because he had to. He had to call. I think his father was involved. There's a lot of lot of a lot of steps to it. So he calls up and he give us a snapshot. And the power grid in the Ukraine is so messed up because of all the military activity that they they get power if they're lucky four to six hours a day, that's it. The rest of the time they have power. Now they get really nasty winters in the Ukraine. So what's going to happen there? Can't turn your heater on.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: What's going to happen with that, there'll be no power, talked about the sound of military bombs and whatnot off in the distance, constant tension and whatnot. And he also pointed out that since he's been in Ukraine for over a year, he now has a girlfriend who is Ukrainian and he actually wants to come back to the States. He'd like to bring his girlfriend. I want to leave her in a war zone, which is a noble thing to do. However, he talked about how difficult it is with the visa.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the visa. Yeah, it's like ninety day fiance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you're dealing with a war zone and the whole thing, and you know, it's a big mess. But it was great to hear him, and I'm so happy he was able to call in. Hopefully he'll check in more often. I also didn't get to the idiom of the week yesterday, which is actually a follow up and kind of ties into the mailbag. So why don't we start the mailbag with Ohio out It's remember last week Sarah in Minnesota. I forget which day it all runs together, but Sarah and Minnesota a big fan of the show. She asked about the origin of push it back, meaning to delay something. Yeah, I couldn't find it. However, the great power of the bully pulpit here Danny, one of our other listeners was able to find it. Did a better job than me. I guess I did a half assed job. Bad job by me, And he emailed me. This is Hank in Tokyo, who is a p one, listens to the Overnight Show and this podcast and clearly an og of the linguistic ninja powers as he saved today. He sent me the following correspondence. He says, I cannot find a meaningful origin story, and I would guess that there almost certainly is an earlier usage. But given the speaker qualifies the meaning of the idiom by explicitly clarifying with the word postpone, there's a lot of verbiage in this. But he says, now the rest of the story, which I love. I quote Paul Harvey all the time, and now for the rest of the story. The origin he found for the use of push it back meaning to deny something, he credited with President Ronald Reagan in the early nineteen eighties. He said the earliest usage of push it back with the intended meaning of postpone or delay. I hope you're listening, Sarah. This is from Hank in Tokyo. He says that he could find was President Ronald Reagan wall in office during an interview in the Oval Office on the twentieth of January nineteenth eighty two. Is that what he got sworn in? Yeah, it probably was right, because January twentieth is when they swear in the new president. Anyway, the quote from Reagan was, now these people, these other economics economists, and as I say, I myself believe that was we had to compromise. Very possibly we wouldn't have had this recession, and if we had had, it would not be as severe as it is. And now to the money part of the quote. So rather than push it back or postpone, no, President Reagan said in nineteen eighty two, the thing that I would yield to, if it could practically be done, would be to move it forward. So he used push it back and.
Speaker 3: Move it on. I looked it up for you. Reagan was sworn in on Tuesday, January twentieth, nineteen eighty one.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we had already been the president for a year. Okay, all right, so very good. Yeah, that makes sense. So eighty one and then yeah, there was an election in he got re elected in eighty four. Yeah, and then that was it. He two terms and that was that. So that was from nineteen eighty two. So thank you Hank in Tokyo. And that's that's a long that's over forty years ago, so that's a good amount of time. I hope that helped Sarah out. That's all we could find. I couldn't find anything. Hank found that and we appreciate. If you want to have any questions for a future idiom of the Week or looking up word origins, contact me, you know, send me a message and we'll see if we can help you out. We'll see if we can help you out. We had we had on the Friday podcast. We had Back to the Drawing Board Back on Friday, which is attributed to a cartoonist from The New Yorker where that came from. More of the mail bag. These are actual letters by actual lists to the show, and the first one up this week is from Masshole Mickey from the Commonwealth. Although he lives in the Boston area, he is outside Boston proper mass Whole Mickey writes in from the Commonwealth. He says, happy foosball Sunday. I hope you both enjoy the games today and delicious food that you may or may not be eating. I haven't determined. It's it's the first Sunday. I feel like I need to eat something. It's a holiday.
Speaker 3: Gotta do it.
Speaker 1: Maybe I'll make a pizza or something. I haven't done that in a while.
Speaker 3: Gotta be some melted cheese involved today.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Right, you got to have a cheat day on a football Sunday and enjoy the day. So mass Ole Mickey says, my question is for Ben, however, could apply to you as well, Danny G. Ben, how nervous scared were you to the possibility of Mike the Irish Leprechaun meeting you in the North and a month ago when we met And have you ever been nervous or scared to meet someone that is a fan of your show? Either you go, Ben or Covino and Rich Danny G. That's from Masshole Mickey. I don't know what it's scared is the right word. I don't know. There's only been one time where I was a little freaked out. That was with Doc Mike on a dark street in Kansas City with a screwdriver. That freaked me out a little bit. Other than that, and most people are nice. I mean, somebody's gonna take the time to come out to a meet and greet. They're probably because they like you and they want to meet you and stuff like that. And there are some people that have shown up that are dishevel that. We had a guy the one we did in Vegas, Mike from Vegas, was drinking. He was drinking mouth washed out of the bottle as his beverage. That was a little odd. It's depressing, upsetting, I know, somewhat heartbreaking that he's so down on his luck that he's doing that. And there was some people that I don't think took a shower in the last couple of years that showed up, which was a little odd. There was one guy that showed up I was baffled by because he was walking around he had toilet paper that was on his shoe that he didn't notice. I was flabbergasted by that at a meet that was years ago. I was like, what is this guy doing? What about you, Danny, You've done a lot of listener events in your radio career.
Speaker 3: I don't think scared of any listener events, but definitely when I was a teenager in radio, I was scared of meeting girls that we met on the studio lines. My name man coworker of mine at the radio station, his name was Brett Conley. Brett Conley on the air, and Brett was famous for setting up these listener meetups with the opposite sex girl who would call our radio station and Brett would tell me, Hey, Danny, we're going to go to Danny's. I'm going to get us a table. You meet me there. That Anna girl, she's she's going to come meet me. Yeah, dude, I think she's hot. I could tell from her voice.
Speaker 1: Oh that's always risky. Yeah, always a risky proposition there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The old joke and broadcasting is if the girl sounds sexy, she's probably a really big mama. If she sounds like to me Moore, she's probably actually good looking.
Speaker 1: It's a hit and miss, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the voice, the voice could be very deceiving, deceiving. And this guy, Brett was famous for this and would pull this move where I told him, I'm like, dude, the program director is going to find out you're going to get fired because, first of all, the general manager and program director would always lecture the staff on not doing this sort of thing. Brett did not listen and met as many girls as he could. If he walked into a Denny's and the girl was already there and he saw her, or she walked in and he didn't like the way she looked, he would just walk out.
Speaker 1: It's cold blooded.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then that girl then would you know, hate his guts.
Speaker 1: He was a selective. A selective. You're not supposed to be selective.
Speaker 3: It's not like he was some awesome prize.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm sure he wasn't. Yeah, exactly, all right, Well, that's that's it. I used to go to Denny's when I had my board hop at the time, Julio, a single living in Hollywood, did the weekend overnight show, and we would cruise into Denny's on a Saturday morning at like four in the morning, and we would sit in there and the it was the Denny's down the street from the studio where they have the hotel wrapped around the Denny's. You know what I'm talking about. Yeah, yeah, and that at the time. I'm sure they've cleaned it up now. I'm sure it's not like this anymore. This was many, many years ago. This was over twenty years ago. It was a hooker hotel. There were pimps and hose in the air everywhere. I mean, it was over the time, and it was like going to I like going down sometimes too. Here in LA We can go down to Santa Monica or Venice Beach. Probably Venice Beach is a better example. It's like a human zoo, and you see what's going on there. Times Square used to be like that. Not so much anymore. South Beach in Miami, New Orleans. I've not been to New Orleans, but my friends have told me it's very similar to that Vegas Fremont Street in Vegas. So okay, fine, all right, so we you know, we go there and it's just unbelievable. The hookers are coming in there to eat their eggs. Over Miami.
Speaker 3: Well, I know that hotel. I got locked out of my apartment in Burbank one day and I had need of a hotel that was near our studio, and that's the hotel I got a room at. What an experience man and two doses of penicillin later able to return to normal.
Speaker 1: So tell the best case scenario. What that hotels. It's only bed bugs, that's the best case scenario.
Speaker 3: Bugs.
Speaker 1: It's not.
Speaker 3: Bed bugs or the clap your choice.
Speaker 1: I mean the ladies there. I do not know how many customers they had that particular night, but it looked like they were really hard working women.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: And it was the end of the night and they had their I guess their pimps or whatever they're hanging out and just looked looked like they had had some pharmaceuticals going. It was quite the quite the scene. We saw some fights in there. People fighting with each other, women fighting with the other women. It was it was quite the story, all right, Thank you masshole Mickey. Next up is Todd, my buddy Todd. He says, hey, Ben and Danny, I have decided to try the fasting diet in Aimant and fasting. I have been at it for almost a month. Now, well good for you time, he says. I first fasted for two days a week, and now I'm trying three. I experimented in the first couple of weeks with eating a little a few times a day, but found that my cravings were stronger that way rather than not having anything other than liquids. I think I'm finally getting there and have found that drinking plenty of water and electrolyte drinks has been crucial help as well. Any tips, Yeah, so the electrolytes is the key thing. You also want to be careful on what you drink. Just water with electrotes, but some electrolytes have calories. There is this great debate in the cult of interminute fasting whether or not just having electrolytes that have cawries is going to end your fasting routine. I've gone back and forth on that. When I did my five and a half day fast before the TV show when we had to go back to Boston and tape some stuff. When I did that, I did not use anything other than salt because there's no calories in salt.
Speaker 3: And you look super thin on those opens and close outs. By the way, Oh well, thank you. You look like you need a hamburger. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I looked a little anemic. I think I lost too much, like too much weight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you need some of Looney's steroids. Here's time, Loony.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's go down to Tijuan and get some.
Speaker 3: Goa good though for the camera, right, because you didn't want to get that extra ten pounds they always talk about from the camera.
Speaker 1: Lend Oh, yeah, yeah, you know, I made sure. That's why I didn't eat for like a month. I ate like once a week for a month, just to try to make that magic. So Todd, Yeah, I just recommend a little salt in the water enough enough so you get it avoid the headaches fast for a while. Usually by the two day mark you start getting headaches, and it's a problem.
Speaker 3: Probably harder for people coming off of caffeine, right, because you're not a coffee drinker or a soda drinker. But somebody that's coming off of that trying to fast, it's probably a harder transition.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I take like a caffeine supplement sometimes, but yeah, if you're a coffee drinker, it's probably not for you. Sarah in Minnesota writes, and that she made me smile. We talked about Sarah earlier because she had asked that question about the idiom and the origin of it. She said, I wanted to say some video and photos from the Peacock debut of Benny Versus the Penny, and sure if you like, and so she sent a bunch of photos here she's at her cabin and it's really cool. So she's in this rustic, old school cabin that looks amazing. By the way, Sarah, I'm jealous. I don't have a cabin that's awesome. Probably on a lake right in Minnesota, one of the ten thousand lakes there, actually there's eleven thousand whatever. Beautiful fire and show off. Yeah, so pretty cool as we're in one hundred and fifteen degree heat. Yeah exactly, Thank you, Sarah. And you have a beautiful cabin there. I'm jealous. It's awesome. I did enjoy Minnesota a time, but I didn't go when the mosquitoes were out. I didn't go when it was freezing. I went when the weather was perfect, and it was just an amazing, amazing time at that Malor Meet and Greet Jonathan and Delaware. Reacting to a call we had this week from Fats in Philadelphia, he says, Hey, please do a Delaware Valley meet up. Just give us some advanced notice here. He says, I've been following you around since I was in high school. Oh my god, Jonathan, damn, how time flies.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 1: He enjoys the show. He says, happy football season, which begins today, and FATS in Philadelphia invited invited us to come to Philadelphia. Of course, we have to pay our own way. I'd like to go back to Philly. I mentioned this on the Overnight Show. But when I was in Philadelphia the last time, the weather was terrible. It was rainy and gloomy. The whole time I was there, food was amazing. I was walking around like a boss South Philly. I was like, oh man, this is like Tony Bruno's old stomping grounds and all that. Had a great time even with the bad weather. But I'd like to go when the weather's good, which I think I've already missed the window, Danny. I think I've already missed the window. Although we are heading into the fall season and then before you know it's Halloween. Stuff's already up at Costco. Have you seen that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, And the pumpkin spice latte crap is big at Starbucks and all that. Like all the fall crap is upon us. But it doesn't make sense for our current weather because this is the hottest it's been for us all summer long.
Speaker 1: Those are corporate decisions, Danny. Those are corporate it is it's ridiculously hot. It was a pretty mild July, and even August was relatively mild.
Speaker 3: But September, yeah, over one hundred degree temperatures coming up for the next few days, and then a big drop off. Suddenly it goes to like eighty six degrees and then to like eighty degrees in a week from now. So it's weird. We had one hundred we had like phoenix weather for two weeks.
Speaker 1: It's like we moved to Scottsdale. Next up, Ryan from Shrewsbury in the Commonwealth says, hello, gentlemen, I am so happy that season number two Benny versus The Penny's Bed. Well, thank you, Ryan, I'm happy to now feels like football season. Speaking of TV, what was your guys favorite show growing up? And what is your favorite show your go to show today? I also took a screenshot. Oh yeah, well that there it is. That's beautiful. Although Ryan, you're not in a cabin like my friend Sarah, but that thank you for that. That's awesome. That does that fires me up. The boys that are sending photos, James the pool guy, send some photos, mister nice guy in the Bay Area, keep them coming in. Keep all season, Keep them coming in. Favorite TV show as a kid depends how old, depends how old Ryan we look. Kid, it was Saturday Morning cartoons. Loved them. Saturday Morning Cartoons, all about it. And then as I got a little older, I used to love game shows. I loved watching Let's Make a Deal with Monty Hall because I'm old, I liked that was another one. Uh pressure luck, big money, big money, no way me stop. And then they had the Yeah like jet I watched Prices right with Bob Barker and that that needle dick microphone that he had. Uh that was you know, there were some great sitcoms back in the day. They I thought they were great. So, I mean I was a little kid, I watched Mash and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: What about you, Danny, Well, let's see, as a little kid, I loved Tom and Jerry cartoons and Loon Meet tunes and Woody Woodpecker stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Then Stone's and the Jetsons that was big too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, those cartoons kind of creeped me out a little bit. I'm not sure why, I look back. Maybe it was that little alien that you to fly around with Red Flintstone.
Speaker 1: Great Kazoo is that?
Speaker 3: Yeah? The Great Kazoo. I couldn't figure out why there was an alien with the flintstones.
Speaker 1: The people that wrote those cartoons must have been so like the Hannah Barbera people.
Speaker 3: And all that. Oh yeah, they were smoking.
Speaker 1: Right, I mean the nay with like woody woodpeckers the name of a character, right, they just like this stuff. The names of the characters had these double entendres. As an adult, you look back at it, You're like, whoa wait a minute, right, yeah, yeah, the pink panther. You know, you all at It's like it's going on here.
Speaker 3: There's some wacky storylines and characters in those old school cartoons. That's why some of them are outlawed now they are far from PC. Yeah. As a teenager, I had a collection of VHS tapes. I taped the pilot episode on through the first few seasons of The Fresh Prince of bel Air. We were so excited when hip hop collided with television, and of course the famous soap in for that show, and Will Smith went on to be a movie star. But you know, now, this is a story all about how my life got flipped turned upside down, and I'd like to take a minute just sit right there. I'll tell you how became the prince of a town called bell Air.
Speaker 1: Solid you remember that off the top of your head.
Speaker 3: Heymen, working right next to bell Air as adults.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're down the hill from bell Air. Yes, hell, that's where all the rich people live. We're down here with the commoners in the oaks. But keep my wife's name out of your mouth and all that is he is he still toxic? Will Smith? Has he still been candling?
Speaker 3: I don't know if he's been out of the spotlight for long enough because he was trying to lay low. That's the game plan. You try to let enough time go by so that you know you can have the comeback.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Ozzie was from Western Australia, says, my mate's big and the microphone throttler.
Speaker 3: The microphone throttler.
Speaker 1: So the missus has had a mishap, rolled her ankle and broke it in two places. Ozzie Wah says he just had to drive over an hour to the hospital. That must have been a pleasant drive, he says, that's life. So my question for you gents, how many bones have you broken?
Speaker 3: If any? Yeah?
Speaker 1: The only thing I've broken some fingers and toes. But I've never never broken like a leg or an arm or anything like that, or a wrist. My right hand was getting a workout, damn you. What about you, Danny?
Speaker 3: And the only thing I've ever broke is my nose.
Speaker 1: Oh that's a big that's a big one though, you break it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was boxing as a kid.
Speaker 1: All right, Well that's not probably the answer you won, Ozzie was by the way, we were waiting for you. You have you have an alibi. We'll give you an hour. But we were gonna have you use one of your pigs with Poppy. Instead, we're using Lorraina Picks of the Week with Loraina and Poppy.
Speaker 3: How did Poppy's first pick do?
Speaker 1: Well, we don't know. The game is tonight. We want tokay, we we're gonna we're gonna change this, gonna morphe a round. So tonight he picked on fold.
Speaker 3: I thought, I thought maybe he picked the Friday game.
Speaker 1: No, no, it was it was a Sunday night game. I think we're going and it's gonna change it. We'll each have them picked three games. They can pick whatever three games they want. One game is not enough. The problem is Poppy wants to do his own TV show. He's, as you know, very modest, and he's like, and we don't want we just want the picks. We don't need all the repartee, we don't need that. So we're still messing with that. But we were gonna have Ozzie wazuse to one of his picks instead we we were going with Larraina. And I love Lorena and I just want to point out that quote. I used this on the air the other night from Bill Parcells, and he had this line about he saw his wife and his wife said how great she was, but she didn't really know football right, and it was something like his wife couldn't tell if the ball was puffed or stuffed right. And in many ways, that's that's our friend Loraina, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I love that about her, that she's great at what she does, but she's not like yeah whatever.
Speaker 3: So we teased her constantly because last season with that FSR prediction sheet that's in the studio every year for her NFC champ, she wrote an AFC team in there and we tried to explain it to her and she's like, I don't care.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Well we and Super Marcus Steve can back me up. And so she says she's a cowboy fan, right, so you're a cowboy fan. So I asked her a bunch of cowboy questions and it was like, yeah, who's the coach of the cowboys? You know, who is the quarterback for the Cowboy I forget exactly what I asked, but it was all stuff from from back in the day, back in the and she got none, none of them. We love her, he's wonderful. And yeah she's on. She's out for a few more days. She'll be back later this week.
Speaker 3: Be it's like the people who do really good in March madness. Because when she was board operating the Covino and Rich Show before she went to you, we would do picks every Friday, and she would win a lot of the picks, just because when you don't know about it, you just go with what your gut tells you at the moment. She based it on logos and colors and things like that in the city, and she would get a lot of the picks, right because she's not sitting there dissecting stats and overthinking everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, for sure. And that was quite the stray we traded. If you didn't hear about this. Back in the day, we traded Iowa Sam and we got the rights to Loreina.
Speaker 3: We got a cash consideration at least, well, what we.
Speaker 1: Got as an added bonus is we got a new water machine in the Smurf kitchen, so we upgraded the water machine. That was part of the trade. You didn't want to throw that in, by the way, Danny, you were like, we're not gonna Coveno and Rich are not going to put a water machine in there. You're on your own. I said no, Iowa Sam's got a little more experienced than Lorena, and we were taking a shot with Lorena. And so you have to throw in a prospect, which is a suspect.
Speaker 3: Well, and of course you didn't mention we got your twenty twenty five first pick. So yeah, they're all suspects right until they pan out.
Speaker 1: The water is great and the little Loraina giving out love advice.
Speaker 3: I'm the doctor next level. What could go wrong with that? She's a single mom who guys run away from exactly Jim, and she's awesome. By the way, you, as Chris Myers would say, you kid because you care. So Jim writes in from Parts So Known, he says, Hey, Ben, what do you think of Andrew Siciliano, the new broadcaster for the Cleveland Rest Yeah, with built in satellites.
Speaker 1: How dare you?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 1: We talked about this on the Overnight Show. You must have missed the Jim, But I'm very excited for Andrew. I've known him for many, many years. He hosted the Red Zone channel on Direct TV, and he worked at NFL Network for years and stuff. So he's a guy. You always feel good for people that you know who weren't assholes, and that would be him. Very nice, very kind person. I sent him some text that actually after we recorded Benny Versus the Penny on Thursday, this episode this Weekend which still airs today, and a few more runnings before the football kicks off. As we're doing this in real time, and I was reached out to Andrew and he got back to me, and I'm excited for him. He grew up a Cleveland Browns fan. We used to bust his balls Danny in the early days of Foxman. Why the fuck are you a Cleveland Browns fan. He's from Virginia, that's from like the DC area, the DMV area, and it's like the family was Cleveland Brown On fans and stuff, and so he's the freaking It's like it would be like if you became the radio voice of the Raiders or something like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, I was just gonna I was just gonna say that that's really cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I'm very happy for him. It's it's great. And as much as I've had a love hate relationship with the Browns fans, they are a passionate bunch, the Cleveland brown fan base.
Speaker 3: See, it would be like the equivalent of you becoming the Rams mascot, that big rambant guy, Ramon all me and Ramming all knight.
Speaker 1: That's not the name of the mascot.
Speaker 3: It's not that he thought he was Rammitt.
Speaker 1: I don't. I don't think that's the name I thought taking that up. That's the song is Rammitt all Day, ram It all night? Yeah? All right, Mike and the OCI will do a few more Mike and the ocum.
Speaker 3: Why is Rammitt walking? Funny?
Speaker 1: Rammitt needs some ice on his growing Mike in the oc or, he says, OC's fourth oldest c Fullerton. He says, Hey Ben and Danny g. Ben. After the constant barrage of WNBA and tennis propaganda.
Speaker 3: On your show lately.
Speaker 1: I have to ask if you were forced to watch either the WNBA finals or the US Open finals, which one would you watch. Basically, I'm asking you to choose between Eddie Garcia and Brian Finley. I'd like your answer as well, Danny G. Also, do you guys consider peanut butter a liquid or a solid? TSA says it's a liquid. H that's interesting. Is that true? They think that peanut butter, a chunky peanut butter, is a liquid. That's not. It's oil. It's oil and peanut, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I was gonna say, well, what happens if it's in the sun. That's true, it melts and yeah. So the answer to your question, it's a great question, Mike. It's one of those Sophie's Choice questions.
Speaker 1: There's no good answer WNBA finals or US Open finals. So I tried to figure out the US Open tennis. How long does a tennis match last?
Speaker 3: Dude? I got the answer too long?
Speaker 1: Okay, So I'll go WNBA. Then I'm gonna go w because whatever is quicker and gets me out of there, I'm in. I don't want to spend too much time and I have been to New York during the US Open when I was doing stuff for the Dodgers. They used to play the Mets every August and the US Open would be going on, and it was actually at the hotel we stayed at. We stayed at the Grand Hyatt in New York, and they they would have all these tennis players who would be staying there. So we'd see them in the lobby. We're going out to get wait for the bus, and they'd be all with their their rackets, their managers and all that stuff. So I didn't know who any of them were, but they were they were staying there.
Speaker 3: I know that the Williams sisters kind of changed the narrative a little bit, But as kids, we always kind of looked at tennis as sort of an elitist sport.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, tennis and golf one percent. Now, I'm right there right there with you and I. As a kid, you were around the same age. We had like these fames like Jimmy Connors and John McEnroe, these legends of tennis that would would go at it.
Speaker 3: But if McEnroe like went on a tirade and broke a couple of rackets, you could see that on the sports machine, the George Michael Sports Machine. Yeah, or maybe did see highlights. He didn't have to watch the whole damn tennis match.
Speaker 1: Well in LA he could have been one of Rogan's heroes if he had done that. Possibly we had Mac and Roll on the show. I don't need to get into that story. Al from the air show, says Ben as someone who also grew up twenty minutes from two different air bases. I was wondering what happened to the two that were decommissioned by the original Malor mansion. Have they been repurposed? Yes, you look it up. There's a thing called the Great Park which is in Irvine, the OC Gray Park, I think it's called, and it's a they made. It's not even all the military, but some of the military bases housing. They built houses, and then the other part of it is this giant park where they have an outdoor auditorium and a bunch of cool stuff soccer fields, baseball.
Speaker 3: Did they leave any warheads for the kids to play with?
Speaker 1: Well, if you did, you can find some moreheads. The other one is more interesting. There was a Tustin Marine Airbase. They had these giant wooden hangers. We talked about it alf and oh that's right, and they were they couldn't tear them down. They were from World War Two. They built these giant blimps and they would they would fix planes in there because they didn't want someone to see from you know, spy planes or whatever it is seeing. They were so paranoid. So they had these giant wooden hangars and one of them burned down a few months back, and it was very sad.
Speaker 3: That was all over the news, especially here in southern California.
Speaker 1: Also because if you happen to be downwind, you got a cloud of poison that came to your city.
Speaker 3: Some ambulance chaser TV commercials pretty soon.
Speaker 1: Yes, were you down win when the hangar at the Tustin Airbase back in the day burnt down you So that was a mess. But they built housing there and they built some shopping and whatnot, which is really crazy. And I go back to that area every once in a while, and as a child, I remember going having the chance to have the open house and walk through tanks and fighter jets and see all the crap. And now it's like a Costco or a Walmart or whatever, like what the heck's going on there?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 1: What's up with that? Gary from Pittsburgh resident says Ben, I've listened to the Mailbag podcast recently. You mentioned you didn't like salads unless they're Canadian salads. I thought, what is a Canadian salad? So I used your sage advice and I just googled it. The recipes I saw were repulsive, with barley and chickapeas and cranberries, so I thought maybe that was a p one inside reference. So then I went to Google's Evil Twin Urban Dictionary and I typed that in and OMG, if that's what you like, your mama Mahler finds out, it will be benny versus the halfpenny, he says. Please tell me what I'm missing, He says, regarding my last post about steak cooking, I expected a how dare you? But not a double I consider it a badge of honor. Well you should, Gary, Yeah, so I guess I have to spell it out for Gary. The Canadian salad is a witty way of saying the poutine, which is from Quebec oh Corda. The fries top with cheddar cheese curds doused in beef gravy and did you know, Gary, I looked this up for you. This is only for you. It's a fun fact about Quebec. The word poutine comes from the Quebecian slang for mess. They say it's a combination of the word mess and the word for pudding. And the legend is that boutine is not that old. It is not that old. Supposedly it started out at a in the nineteen fifties, nineteen fifty seven. I think it's a long time ago, but in the big picture, is not that long. The dish first appeared in nineteen fifty seven in a Quebec dairy town of Warwick in Quebec, and a customer asked the restauranteur, this French dude, hey, can you put some cheese, curds and fries together in a brown paper bag? Because the guy was in a hurry, and the chef, the French chef said oh yeah, they'll do whatever he did, and then on his way out he supposedly said in French the equivalent of that, that'll make a damn mess. And that combination grew, and you know, there you go, and they started adding gravy to it. In the nineteen sixties. So that's way too much information about Poutinea.
Speaker 3: You made me hungry for some game day eats right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, it is an NFL Sunday Week number one continues today and then tomorrow. That's it for us, Danny, anything you want to promote. I got Benny Versus the Penny till about one o'clock today Random Cable Television, also on Peacock, and then that's it for that. They'll kill the show for another week, and then we'll have another show starting next Friday, and I'll be back on the radio breaking down all the NFL games tonight. The Magic Radio Box. Can't wait for that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Tomorrow, Monday, we will react to all of the NFL action on Covino and Rich from two to four pm on the West side, and that's five to seven pm in beautiful Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.
Speaker 1: Harrisburg, PA. I have a wonderful rest of your Sunday. I'll be on tonight eleven o'clock in the west, two am in the East. If you miss any of the show, it's all up on the podcast. We call that the Original Recipe Podcast, this of course the Extra Chris Me Pod, and we will catch.
Speaker 3: You then minshew Mania, Let's go Raiders, the Raiders and hopefully your rams show up for you.
Speaker 1: Well, you definitely ram it all night tonight Later Skater got a murder.
Speaker 3: I gotta go.